Actions

Work Header

Dear Demora (Make It up As I Go)

Summary:

Follow-up to Dear Spock and Dear James. The five year mission is a go. Jim is trying to figure out how to be Spock’s first officer and husband while dealing with the lasting consequences of nearly dying. Spock tries to figure out how to give Jim what he needs while balancing his responsibilities as captain. Sulu is trying to figure out how to be a good dad to Demora and partner to Ben light years from both. Leonard and Nyota are trying to figure out how to raise a preteen in space with enough baggage to fill the ship. No one knows quite what they're doing. However, they are the best crew in Starfleet, which essentially means they’ll just make it up as they go. A collection of letters, emails and other written correspondence from the first year of Enterprise’s five-year mission.

Notes:

Title: Dear Demora (and other Epitaphs from Enterprise)

Summary: How exactly do you stay grounded when even the gravity around you is artificial and you’re light years away from home? By keeping connected to those you love by what ever written means necessary. A collection of letters, emails and other written correspondence from Enterprise’s five-year mission.

This is the third story in the Dear Spock universe.

Continuity: This story follows Dear Spock and Dear James, which was a re-contextualizing of Star Trek Into Darkness. We are about 90% cannon compliant up to the end of Star Trek Into darkness. The biggest differences are that the Vengeance Incident occurred in June instead of February 2259, Jim and Spock are married, and Leonard and Nyota are raising his daughter together onboard Enterprise. She also legally changed her name to Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy. Finally, Spock is now captain of Enterprise, and Jim is his first officer/assistant Captain.

How canon compliant will we be for Star Trek Beyond, you’re just going to have to read and see. Although Sulu’s daughter is already here, along with his boyfriend’s daughter from a previous relationship. See things are different already. Maybe enough things have changed so that some of the events of Star Trek Beyond will not happen or maybe some things are inevitable. I know the answer to that question, but I’m not ready to share yet.

Rating: T for grown-up situations and language.
Relationships: The Kirk family now with 100% more Spock, Sulu family (Sulu, Demora, Demora’s mother’s Susan, as well as Ben and his daughter), and the Uhura-McCoy family. So I guess I should say upfront, this is going to be more family oriented, instead of couple oriented. Jim and Spock do not have kids, yet, but Jim still has Kevin. (Reminder in the Dear Spock universe Kevin Riley was adopted by Winona and will hence be referred to as Kevin Kirk)

Entries for this story will be organized by the day into the Enterprise journey that they were written on (not the day on which the messages arrive because when our babies are in deep space, it may take a day or six to get there). We are beginning on day zero of the 5 year mission, which in this universe is February 17, 2260 or 2260.48. (It’s been eight years, but I finally figured out how to do start dates in the KTL but for the sake of consistency with the previous stories we well keep things as they were)

Also, you won’t see all the letters from Enterprise because there would probably be thousands. There’s a good chance that the prologue may be one of the few places where we have pros and it’s probably going to be our longest chapter by a lot. I’m planning for the vast majority of the story to be Letters, emails and text messages. I’m also planning for short chapters after this, which means frequent updates, by my standards anyway.
Now on to the story.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Day 0: Now Returning to Enterprise

Chapter Text

Hikaru has left his family for missions for extended periods of time before, more than once, but he doesn’t remember it ever being this hard before. He felt like his heart was breaking and he was on the verge of crying the entire time. He never really said his goodbyes in the shuttle hangers before either, but he wanted to spend as much time with Ben, Demora and Ben’s daughter Kiko before leaving on the five-year mission.

Susan was also there, which might be the only reason why Ben and the kids got this far. Nobody was going to tell Commander Susan Ling-Chen (daughter of the head of Starfleet) that she couldn’t bring her daughter with her to see off her father. He knew that the entire ship was gossiping about his surprise fatherhood. He might as well give them something interesting to talk about.

It wasn’t until the last possible moment that Hikaru kissed Ben goodbye on the mouth (for a good two minutes) after handing over Demora to her mom. He then kissed all three women on the cheek before making his way to the shuttle and that’s when Demora started screaming. He wanted to go back and cuddle her again to let her know that he wasn’t going anywhere and that he loved her so much. He would have to if Dr. McCoy didn’t grab his arm and pulled him into the shuttle.

“It’s always hard to leave your little girl behind for the first time.” He wanted to make some snide remark about the fact that his daughter, the recently rechristened Josephine Uhura-McCoy was already waiting on the shuttle with her recently adopted mother. However, he said nothing.

“Honestly, I was a wreck my first shift back at the clinic after bringing her home from the hospital. I think I cried for a week when the ex took Josephine away the first time. It was just as bad when I moved to San Francisco. That might’ve been the real reason why I was drinking so much when I met Jim. If I was sober at the time, we probably never would have become friends,” the Doctor remarked.

"Are you going to tell me it gets better?” Hikaru asked.

“Only when there are phone calls and at least your relationship with your daughter’s mother is significantly better than my relationship with Josephine’s birthmother.” Who was an alcoholic and who died by driving her vintage car into a tree. But nobody talks about that. Nobody dares mention it, especially in front of the young girl who has had her entire life changed around in the last eight months. “If it wasn’t for her aunt, I wouldn’t have the last time we were in space.”

“You’re right in that respect. Sue has already pulled some strings and she, Ben, and the kids will be there on our first planned shore leave in June.” Only four long months away. At least he will get to spend her first birthday with his daughter.

“Keep looking forward to that and maybe you’ll get through the next five years.” Leonard said as they took their seats on the shuttle. At least he couldn’t hear Demora’s cries anymore, but that didn’t mean he was not concerned. By the time he made it to his brand-new private quarters, he was in full parental panic mold. That wouldn’t go away until he checked up on his little girl. Thankfully, he could use a Starfleet instant messaging service with Sue. Hopefully she had her work communicator with her.

Me: Please tell me she stopped crying.

Ling-ChenSX: About 10 minutes after you were safely on the shuttle. Ben is a miracle worker. You have much better taste in men than I do. He is so good with her.

Me: I will take that as a compliment

Ling-ChenSX: You really should. He made me brownies to help ease me back into single parenthood.

Me: His brownies really are good. He sent me up here with the whole tray.

Ling-ChenSX: Look, it’s going to take a little while for her to adjust to you not being here all the time, but it will happen. She’ll be okay. I was with both my parents in Starfleet. So, don’t worry yourself sick over it.

Me: I’m still going to worry. Your mom says that’s what parents do.

Ling-ChenSX: Very true. On the bright side, I will be teaching at the Academy until June and then the Hamilton will pick me up from where ever Enterprise is doing shore leave. So at least she will have me for a few more months.

Me: So, I really should be happy that your mom punished you for not telling her exactly how baby D came to be?

Ling-ChenSX: Yes, which I don’t get. You were there too. And you get a promotion and your own quarters. I get to spend a semester teaching first-year cadets. I prefer our eight-month-old.

Me: Babysitting actual babies is so much easier than dealing with freshman. I don’t have it that easy. I’m babysitting my Captain and my other Captain because they’re a married command team of the same rank and deep down inside we’re a little afraid that this will end in tears and body bags.

Ling-ChenSX: I just hope it’s not your body bags that will come back to us.

Me: I get what happened. No one wants to tell their mom that they got pregnant due to a shore leave three way because your idiot, now former boyfriend accidentally picked up fertility drugs. I just wish I found out you were pregnant before Liz showed me baby pictures of Demora when we were planning Jim’s wedding.

Ling-ChenSX: I realize I should’ve said something earlier, but after my boyfriend abandoned me, I was a little bit hesitant to have the conversation with you.

Me: Thankfully, I’m not him.

Ling-ChenSX: The rational part of my brain knew that, but pregnancy brain will mess with you.

Me: Although I’m not exactly sad that he ran away. It is better for Demora this way even if I am light years away. My parents are around to spoil her rotten.

Ling-ChenSX: That is true. I’m aware you’re glad that he bailed because of the gigantic gift basket that you sent all the way to Delta Vega for his birthday.

Me: Because his bi curiosity and incompetency gave us the best gift of all.

Me: At the same time, it was all a lot easier to be part of a five-year mission when I didn’t have a daughter waiting at home. It is going to be a long mission being away from everyone. Demora is going to be starting kindergarten when I get back. I think that is just starting to hit me.

Ling-ChenSX: Oh, but we will try to see each other whenever possible, and you can send letters. And we will reply with video files. I would say call, but I know what type of mission you’ll be on and just getting an email may take a week or two.

Me: To you and Ben?

Ling-ChenSX: Or Demora and her twin by another mother/surrogate. We did set up her baby PADD to read to her in your voice.

Me: And when you’re back on the Hamilton, your mom?

Ling-ChenSX: No. Liz or Ben. No writing to mommy. There are some things I don’t want her to know.

Me: Ben will be at the top of my list. If we’re still together at that point.

Ling-ChenSX: You will be. I haven’t seen a guy look at his significant other like that since the last time I saw mom and dad together before he was killed.

Me: Thank you for reminding me of that morbid possibility.

Ling-ChenSX: We are Starfleet. This happens sometimes. I mean, I honestly hope Liz doesn’t get custody of baby D anytime soon, but you can’t just ignore the possibility of it.

Me: I know although I was thinking more along the lines of a breakup. He’s a widow whose first husband died during the battle of Vulcan. Maybe this will be too much for him.

Ling-ChenSX: Or maybe you’ll be perfect for him. At least I have a partner for playgroup. I was not looking forward to being there without you, but I think Ben will make a suitable replacement.

Me: I told him he could see other people because I don’t expect him to be celibate for five years.

Ling-ChenSX: And are you planning to take advantage of the local alien populations as you galivant throughout the galaxy?

Me: Outside of sex pollen exposure, no. I don’t know how it happened with everything going on, but I really do love him.

Ling-ChenSX: I’m aware that you love him and I think he loves you too.

Ling-ChenSX: Everybody knows sex pollen doesn’t count. It’s right there in the Starfleet handbook. It’s not consensual.

Me: Has anybody had a sex pollen incident?

Ling-ChenSX: Not one that has been officially acknowledged at least. The closest thing to that has been that weird virus that made everyone lose their inhibitions. But hey, you have five years. Go forth and explore and send me back all the interesting details.

Me: I’ll try. I’m just going to be a little sad without you guys here.

Ling-ChenSX: We will send you pictures too. We’ll get through this.

xxxx
Jim always thought that the Enterprise was a beautiful lady. He was glad to have her. He pretty much died for her and everyone aboard her. After almost dying and only surviving most likely due to a Vulcan mind meld and magical augment blood antibodies, he was ready to pass the keys to his Spock. Although, if they were married, maybe that meant Enterprise was their baby. He’s sure Admiral Pike would agree with him if he pressed her on it.

Technically, he’s still a Captain, Spock’s co-captain. Technically, he still lives in the Captain’s quarters. Although, there was now a very plush queen size bed in there which was nicer than what they had before. By the time the volcano fiasco happened, they were already living together, but this space was truly designed for the couple.

Their new quarters included a meditation space for Spock and digital frames filled with images of friends and family, including those that were no longer with them. Sam, George, Chris and Amanda featured prominently. The thermostat was set at the tolerable 23°C with plenty of thermal comforters to keep Spock nice and cozy. Of course, this means that Jim will be sleeping naked on top of the covers, but that’s not exactly a hardship. Marriage really was all about compromise.

Now the biggest difference was that the closet was now 90% command gold with a few shore leave outfits in there for flavor. The only way you can tell the difference was the size. Jim was a little bit bigger up top in his spouse. And no, he wasn’t getting the stomach, no matter what Bones argued, genetic predisposition be damned. It was all good because honey bear looked good in gold. Okay his honey bear would look good in a burlap sack if they still made burlap sacks.

As Jim took one of the many gold shirts out to get ready for the afternoon, he noticed a gift box on the top shelf of the closet. At first, he wondered if it was from Spock. Maybe it was some sort of belated Valentines present or maybe it was a ‘thank God we’re back on our ship’ gift. By this point in their relationship, Spock knew he wasn’t good with surprises so he probably knew full well that Jim would open the box as soon as he found it, at least the card was attached, anyway. That’s when he found the card with a rather long note inside not from Spock, but rather Admiral Nhi Pike.

Congratulations on joining our ranks as a first officer. You’re doing it a little backwards, but as someone who went from first officer to Admiral directly, sometimes it’s necessary. Granted, you’ve been doing first officer duties since July, but that was all the prelaunch paperwork. This is the real job now.

‘Which was bad enough.’ Jim mumbled to himself as he paused in his reading.

Once you are in space, you will have all sorts of different crises to deal with. A good portion of it involves crewmembers acting like toddlers. I could probably fill out the front of this card and back with all sorts of tips that you probably will forget or ignore, but instead I thought I would get you a copy of a book that will serve you well.

That’s when Jim looked inside to find a rare hard copy of The Idiot’s Guide to Being a First Officer.

“Very funny.” He said out loud, already thinking of the email he would send her the first time he had a chance.

“I’m not certain it is meant to be humorous, but rather helpful. I also received a copy of the book from her when I took over her duties as first officer for Christopher Pike.” Spock said walking up behind him. He turned around to give him a quick peck on the lips, which turned into a not so quick kiss, that would’ve gone farther if not for the fact that Spock had to give a welcome speech in the next 22 minutes.

"You look good in command yellow. I wish we had time for me to strip that shirt off you." Jim remarked.

"Although not as good as you." Spock replied.

"Are you still nervous? Because honey you’re going to do much better than my first day." Jim said fixing his collar. It may have got a little messed up during the kissing.

"Which first day are we counting as the first day of your captaincy? When you had to relieve me of command due to my emotional incapacitation or your actual first day?" Spock asked being extra Vulcan. Yep, he was nervous.

"When we started randomly fighting on the bridge." Jim clarified as he rubbed soothing circles on Spock’s back.

"We never had a physical altercation on the bridge."

“After the first time.” Jim quipped. “You are just being extra Vulcan today. Maybe I should use the term sniping."

"I believe that will not be an issue, this time due to the sexual tension being significantly less than previously, or at least that is Nyota’s opinion of us."

"I’ve learned she’s always right. Are you ready to head to the bridge, Captain Spock–Kirk?" Spock responded by kissing him again.

“I am now.”

Xxxx

"Are you sure you’re going to be okay settling in on your own?" Mommy Nyota asked as she showed Josephine to her brand-new room aboard Enterprise.

This would be her third new room since July. At this point, Josephine was an expert at setting up her room. The little house in Georgia was nice and she was close enough to be able to hang out with her friends. However, she didn’t like the apartment in San Francisco. She hated not having a backyard. Of course, being on a starship meant no backyard or friends to play in said nonexistent backyard with.

There were a couple of other teenagers that would be on the ship, but when she met them last week at the ice cream social for the new minor dependents of Enterprise (allegedly Uncle Jim’s idea), she had a feeling she wouldn’t be close to any of them. That meant the person closest to her age that would talk to her was Pavel who was teaching her Russian in his spare time. She wished he was still teaching her math like before, but she was going to have to go to class with the other Enterprise children, even though she was three years younger than all of them.

Since leaving Georgia, Liz and Kevin had functioned as her primary tutors for the last couple of months and she adored them. They understood her better than others because they both lost their parents when they were around her age. Different circumstances, but they got it. She doubted any of her brand-new classmates would. They probably had two happy parents who were both on board the ship and never had to deal with it.

"I’ll be fine. Nyota I’m not a baby. I can do this."

"I know, but I worry.” The ‘because you didn’t leave your room for about a month after your mom died’ was left unsaid. “According to your schedule, you can have until the 21st to explore the ship before really starting to get into your class schedule. Your Uncle Jim is supposed to give me at least one or two afternoons off so we can work on your Vulcan-based languages, in addition to the normal curriculum."

"I thought that’s what Uncle Spock was doing?" During the last month and a half, her Uncle Spock would come over at least one afternoon a week to hang out and help her on her Vulcan language skills. He also cooked which was good because mom Nyota was best known for her pizza ordering skills. But he also understood. He lost his mom as well less than two years ago. It was a short enough time that things were still raw for him and he didn’t expect her to be okay. That was good.

"Yes, but Uncle Spock is now captain and busy. So, I think I’m going to be taking over for at least a little while." Nyota tells her.

"I understand."

"It won’t always be like this. We just need to get settled and so do you. I suggest unpacking and maybe decorating. You can start by remaking your bed." That’s when Nyota pointed to the purple bedcovers on the side. She was so sure she packed those for storage because she was told that everything had to be regulation Starfleet. She was currently dressed in a tiny blue dependent uniform. At least she got to keep her purple sparkly pajama and similar sleepwear. That meant she was surprised to see her bed spread from before.

"Uncle Spock made an exemption for you and all the other minor dependents. He wants you to think of this place as home." Nyota tells her.

It’s not home. Josephine thinks to herself, although she is not sure what home is anymore. She doesn’t think she really had one since her parents divorced when she was a baby, maybe she never had one. Maybe it’s where her dad and adopted mother are. Or maybe they were in the process of creating it. She’s still trying to figure out the meaning of that word. It’s a work in progress.

"Also, Liz sent you a survival starter pack." Nyota said pointing to the giant box. Josephine quickly ran over to open that. She found a ridiculous amount of chocolate covered popcorn, containers of cookies, and a ridiculous amount of candy. There were also some board games and the bottom.

“Please do not eat all of the junk food she sent you in one day because we don’t have a shore leave schedule until the first week of June and the ship store usually runs out of candy around week three. Earth candy anyway."

“Since dad always says, ‘Do not eat strange alien food’ that means no candy for me."

"Not until your dad does the scan anyway and that covers candy from the commissary too. Also, don’t drink anything that comes from engineering.” Her mom said in all seriousness.

“I think Mister Scott would know better than to give alcohol to a minor."

“I hope so anyway, at least not until we make it to year 4.” Nyota jokes. “I’ll be back in a couple of hours to check on you. After the initial welcome to Enterprise remarks, I just need to greet the department and give everybody their assignments. I don’t have a real bridge assignment until tomorrow anyway."

"I’ll be fine, mom.” She tried to reassure her.

"I worry. I mean I always wanted to live in space like my parents, but it wasn’t an option. But we are taking you away from Georgia, your aunt, as well as all your friends and bringing you into this weird place to go boldly into the black and…”

"I want to be here with you and dad." She really does. She just needs some part of her life to keep being normal, even if normal involves being on a starship with 1000 people.

“I know, but I’m still going to worry. I’ve been informed that parenthood is at least 90% worrying yourself sick." Nyota said with a kiss to her head, before walking out the door, leaving Josephine to her own devices.

Her dad and mom Nyota would be happy to know that she did make her bed before opening the popcorn. Of course, underneath the popcorn was a letter from Liz written on real paper.

Greetings to the youngest member of the Starfleet crew. I bet Pavel is sad to be losing that title. But at least he’s losing it to you and not to any of the other kids that are going to be on the ship.

So, I never actually lived on a ship when mom was a captain unless you count the three-month journey back from Tarsus hell and technically she wasn’t my mom yet, but that was when she decided to adopt me. That wasn’t exactly fun times for anyone. I slept with ration bars under my bed the entire time.

But before it all fell apart on Tarsus, I did live with my parents on their privately funded research vessel. So, I’m well versed in ship life as well as little classes with other bratty ship kids. Good luck.

To help you survive five years in space, I have packed you a care package with lots of junk food and old-fashioned board games, some of which came from the Kirk family collection that Jim did not want to take with them. There are also a bunch of data chips that you can load to your PADD with other things too occupy your time.

I also packed a therapy journal in there because you’re still adapting to living with your dad because of what happened to your mom. I know Uncle Jim taught you how to do the letter technique. It might become useful at some point.

Remember if it all becomes too much, reach out to those around you. Mom always said, my birth mom, that it is easy to get lost in space, but it’s the people that you love and that love you that keep you tethered to the world. Remember that over the next five years.

Since I’m trying to do my internship on Enterprise next semester, I hope to see you again sooner rather than later. Actually, I may see you before that, because I know my sister is going to bring me along on her family trip just to babysit. I’m moving in with her. That’s what little sisters do.

PS: I also included 101 codes for replicators. You should be able to re-program it to do Snickers, but ask Uncle Jim to do that. Not Mister Scott because mom can’t deal with an engineer accidentally blowing up a ship right now.

To be continued.

Chapter 2: Day 2: Settling In

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the first chapter. You are all lovely. So now we began our micro format. For those of you that remember the original Dear Spock, most of this story is going to be like the first 10 letters, except the conversations will not be one-sided. Some may be, but not all of them. Also, we will have more than one email/written message per section, usually. There will be a few prose sections mixed in, but nowhere near as many as Dear James. We are going to be looking at familial relationships outside the ship, more than in previous stories.

There will also be Jim and Spock snarking back and forth to each other in written format because it’s pretty much a requirement for the Dear Spock universe. We’re going to start with some of the other characters first for world building purposes, but for those of you reading this on KS archives we will get there.

On the bright side with the micro format, more updates. It is extremely easy for me to do 1000 word mini chapters. So think weekly updates instead of monthly.

Chapter Text

Day 2: Settling In.

From: SuluHG

To: Ling-ChenSX

Subject: Daddy misses you. (This was your mom’s idea)

Time sent: 2/19/2260 05:30:26

 

Dear Demora (and Susan because I know you’re reading this because I sent it to your account),

 

I miss you. I think I watched the video file of my first play date with you at least six times. But it doesn’t make the process of being light years away from you hurt less. It’s been 48 hours and I’m already aware it’s going to be a long 5 years. I think I told your mom that a couple of times the day I left you for Uncle Spock’s big ship.

 

My heart broke to hear you crying. You’re my little girl. I hate hearing you cry. I’m already counting down to the shore leave on your birthday in a little under four months. It really pays to have a Nanna who is an Admiral.

 

I have your pictures up all over my room. I may have even snuck one onto my console, hard copy of course. I even have Josephine’s picture that she drew of you. It’s on the bathroom door. I’m sharing with Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock because I’m in the old first officer’s quarters. We can also blame that one on Nanna because I’m captain sitting.

 

Tell Nana that so far, they’ve been well behaved, other than kissing Vulcan style on the bridge and apparently haven’t mastered the art of door locking. They’re not even arguing like they did the first time around. It probably helps that they have acknowledged that they really really like each other which is why they are now married. It’s almost cute and it makes me miss Ben a lot.

 

I hope you’re still able to see him and Kiko. He was so lonely after his husband died and I don’t want him to go back to that place. Kiko is really the only thing that kept him going. I’m writing to him after this. Maybe if this goes well, I’ll write to her next time too. You need as much play time with non-Starfleet kids as you can. Her being six months older than you may seem like a big gap now, but you’ll still end up in the same grade in school. Your aunt has told me horror stories which she refers to as Starfleet high school. I want you to turn out mostly normal and maybe consider things outside the Academy as a career choice.

 

I just kind of feel bad that I’m not going to be part of your everyday life for long stretches at a time. Being with Starfleet is important, but so are you. It’s hard being here without you. I bet it’s hard for you too. You’re probably as used to story times as I am and I’m not there anymore and that has to be weird for you. Who is taking over story time?

 

Then unfortunately once you get used to me not being there, your mom will be leaving to be the first officer of the Hamilton. Both of your parents will be light years away and you will be moving in with Nana and possibly Liz. Nana is one cool lady, but she’s not us. What did you do to get stuck with two Starfleet parents? It feels a little unfair to you.

 

Anyway, miss you. Love you, hugs and kisses.

 

PS: Yes Sue, this did help a little bit. You better take video of PADD me reading this to her.

Xxxxxx

From: SuluHG

To: Benjamin_2254

 

Subject: Space is lonely without you.

Time sent: 2/19/2260 05:45:26

 

Dear Ben:

I miss you. I love being here and I love being in space, but I miss you. I’m just starting to realize that in a few short months you have become such an integral part of my life that it feels odd without you here. It’s hard not to wake up beside you. You were sleeping over most nights before I left.

 

There’s not much to write about yet. We’re still traveling to our mission. The real mission, not the supply drop-offs along the way. I’m not sure yet if it will be a surveying mission or a diplomatic mission, but I prefer anything that will involve plants. I’m hoping for new samples for the botany lab. That’s really my favorite part of the job. I love to be in there for hours. It’s calming.

 

Although, honestly, even if I knew the details of the next mission, I couldn’t really tell you that much. Sorry baby, you’re a civilian. Although if it makes you feel better, I can’t tell Sue either and she has a higher rank than me. You were with me when we went to the trial of the person who screwed with Nyota’s birth control so you understand why we must be careful. Also, in one of our early missions last time, someone used Jim’s food allergies against Jim on a mission to derail negotiations. It almost killed him. I hope not to have a repeat of that. You do not want to have to deal with the Spock that’s worried about his Jim. It’s dangerous.

 

So far, the most interesting thing I must deal with is the constant complaints from Pavel about having to break in a new roommate. Every single lunch, it’s the same thing. I’m not sorry. I’m just happy that I’m not going to have to deal with finding somewhere else to sleep because he has company over. For someone who’s barely legal, he gets around a lot. Although maybe because he was under age during his entire time at the Academy, he’s just doing what all of us did during at least first year. Okay, I was never that bad, but I had a boyfriend and may have been talked into a few things with Sue. You’ll be amazed at what she can talk you into doing.

 

Two days into the five-year mission and I have also already walked in on my Captain and his husband “fooling around” in the shower and I’m not to say more in case he accidentally on purpose reads this email. I’m not telling anyone else about that. If we are going to be sharing a bathroom for five years, we are going to have to work something out. There’s some things I don’t want to see.

 

How is Kiko doing? Has she successfully mastered toilet training? Or rather, has she successfully mastered telling you when she needs to go to the bathroom. At least she did not break into hysterical crying at the hangar. Although I heard you kept things from getting worse. It must be why you’re one of the best pediatricians in San Francisco.

 

Did I mention I miss you? Because I absolutely do and not just because I also woke up to the sex sounds of my next-door neighbors. I am so checking in with engineering about more soundproofing. God, they are loud.

 

Write back when you can or send video files. Once things get busy, my replies will be hit or miss. But know that I will always be thinking about you.

 

Okay, once we get far enough out there, it might be weeks before you get these emails. During the last mission, it once took Captain Spock’s father over a week to get a letter from him and the Vulcan is an ambassador. If it does become weeks, always check with Sue. She will know if the long delay in communication is normal mission stuff or abnormal mission stuff. I’m hoping we have a lot of normal before we get to the abnormal. But this is Starfleet, abnormal mission stuff is quite normal.

 

Okay, what I’m really hoping for is nobody trying to kill my Captain again, either one. I think my new job means I must fill out the paperwork for that. I do not want to do that paperwork.

 

Anyway, love you.

 

Xxxxx

From: Uhura-McCoyJJ

To: Simmons-ChanEX

Subject: Thank you for the survival kit.

Time sent: 2/19/2260 13:30:26

 

Liz, thank you for the snacks and games. I did get to eat most of the popcorn before Nyota put it up somewhere for special occasions. I’m not sure if I’ll ever see it again. Dad loves that stuff.

 

We also played Monopoly as a family last night. It’s different playing the board game version. Also, everything is so much cheaper. Dad really doesn’t like being the banker and Nyota is competitive. She did not let me win.

 

I have one more day of freedom because the next day I start classes again. I’m not looking forward to being in a classroom where everybody is at least three years older than me. I’m going to be completely behind everyone else. I don’t know why I can’t have my own tutor. I don’t think they’re going to like me. Okay I know they’re not going to like me. No one talked to me when we had the ice cream social pre-launch. I spent the entire time eating ice cream in the corner alone.

 

Uncle Jim is too busy with first officer stuff to help with the replicator project right now and Uncle Spock is too busy overseeing all the Captain ship stuff. Although Uncle Jim says once everything is moving smoothly to make sure the personal replicator in our quarters makes Snickers bars. He said he’ll do it for his room for grown-up fun play time with Spock. I don’t think I want to know what that means yet.

 

To be continued

Chapter 3: Day 3: Herding cats aboard the USS Enterprise

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You’re all wonderful. I’m going to be extremely busy this weekend, so you are this update today.
Now we are finally getting a letter from Jim’s perspective.

Chapter Text

From: Jim_Spock-Kirk

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 2/20/2260 00:04:01

Subject: Being the first officer is like herding cats.

 

Hello to my favorite Admiral. I like you more than Rodriguez who is sending us to negotiate a peace treaty for our first real mission. God, I hope I don’t go into anaphylaxis again this time. Technically, Spock would probably be the lead negotiator, but I should go down as the Captain’s spouse. That’s going to be so much fun. (Insert sarcasm here.) Maybe I’ll wish for anaphylaxis.

 

I got the present and your card. Thank you for that. I’m a little sad that you got me and Spock the exact same present. Although he swears that it was useful. I’m 99% positive he’s referring to the how not to kill your Captain section. But it was a thoughtful gift, so thank you.

 

Hey, how are you? Do you miss us? I’m sure you are because I heard that they’re grooming you to take over for Barnett. I personally think you would make a great head of Starfleet Academy, mostly because you would give Kevin hell.

 

So, the reason why I’m writing you after midnight is this job is ridiculously time-consuming. I’m starting to learn that the first officer does all the real work and I don’t even get to see my husband as much as I thought I would. I’ve spent the last two days working through about 50 requests to change roommates, half of which are from Pavel. Like it’s my fault his BFF knocked up an Admiral’s daughter and got a private room.

 

Seriously, some of the newbies think they’re still in college. That’s on top of all the normal work I’m supposed to be doing and we haven’t even started doing the real mission yet. I wonder if Spock is expecting me to write annotated versions of his pre-mission briefs. He was so good at that.

 

Seriously, how did Spock balance first officer work, senior science officer work, and having to do half of my captain work because I didn’t know what I was doing for the first six months? I think it may be the fact he barely sleeps. He is in the lab right now. He was supposed to check on one of Carol’s special projects after dinner. That was three hours ago.

 

Fuck!

 

I need go because it looks like one of our minor dependents just tried to sneak into engineering because you know Scotty did you know what in the you know where and now I should deal with it. Do they not realize that we have sensors and cameras all over the ship and it’s even worse now after the attempted murder of myself and drugging my chief communication officer with fertility drugs? It was so much easier when it was a Spock problem.

I’ll talk to you later.

 

From: Ling-ChenSX

To: SuluHG

 

Subject: Re: Daddy misses you. (This was your mom’s idea)

Time sent: 2/20/2260 04:31:26

 

 

Play dates have been scheduled for later today and baby D misses you too. Okay, I miss you, because it was so much easier to do this parenting thing when we could tag team. I mean Liz is here and giving the baby an early breakfast while I write this. Of course, she is here because that means she doesn’t have to live in the dorms and therefore her boyfriend can sleep over without mom knowing the truth. Okay. She’s mostly here because they are being assholes to her in the dorms.

 

So, in the last three days you’ve missed three major crying fits and multiple attempts at scooting across the carpet. I attached a video file or six. I think our baby girl is going to be a crawler any day now. I swear I’m going to make Kevin baby proof the apartment. He’s here so much that he might as well earn his keep. Also, maybe if I make them spend enough time with Demora, I won’t become an aunt until they’re both out of the Academy. They’re both on the contraceptive hypo, but well, if that was 100% fool proof, she wouldn’t be here.

 

Xxxx

From: SuluHG

To: Ling-ChenSX

 

Subject: Re: Daddy misses you. (This was your mom’s idea)

Time sent: 2/20/2260 20:30:26

 

And if nothing else, your ex was a fool.

Yes, make your sister and her boyfriend spend as much time playing and taking care of Demora as possible. Your mom will kill us all if Kevin Kirk gets your sister pregnant. I kind of like my command team and if she kills Jim, you know Spock will just go off the deep end and it will be ugly for all involved. Jim agrees with me. I told him about his brother’s cohabitation at lunch.

 

Make sure you get video of the crawling for me. I’ve watched the scooting videos like six times. Has she said anything that sounded like an actual word yet? Before leaving, she was making a su sound. She’s either trying for my last name or your first name. I’m not sure which I prefer.

 

Tell the babies that I miss them and I hope things go well for you and Ben. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but he really needs more friends. After his first husband died, a lot of his old friends either left him behind or were also killed. He was sad when we first met. I just don’t want him to go back to that. You lost a lot of friends, especially during the Vulcan incident as well. You could use another friend, especially one with kids.

xxxxxx

From: Simmons-ChanEX

To: Uhura-McCoyJJ

Subject: Re: Thank you for the survival kit.

Time sent: 2/20/2260 21:30:26

No, you don’t want to know what grown-up fun time is. At least not for five more years, at a minimum.

 

New schools are always scary. But you are sweet and kind and mostly outgoing, so I think it will be okay. I know sometimes you get sad, but it’s okay. Nobody is 100% on all the time. I think a lot of your new classmates will like you. Some may not. But that’s their problem, not yours.

 

Okay, some of them could be spoiled Starfleet brats, but I think the probability is low because your classes won’t be filled with all the children of the Admiralty. Mommy Chen just became a baby Admiral when I started high school, which meant lots of fun. I think it will be better for you.

Anyway, have a good day at school tomorrow. Learn new things. Have fun. Write me again when you have a chance.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 4: Day 4: Email your brother

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all great.
So you’re getting this today because my parents are arriving tomorrow (I still have more cleaning to do). If things go well I may update again next Wednesday otherwise it will be November 4.

Chapter Text

Day 4: Email your brother

From: Simmons-ChanEX

To: Jim_Kirk-Spock

Subject: You should probably consider better soundproofing for your quarters

time arrived: 2/21/2260 00:00:01

So, somehow it got to my sister that your new next-door neighbor can hear you screwing your husband. Thankfully this bit of information was not shared with my boyfriend because that would just be traumatizing for him.

 

By the way, you probably should write your brother so he knows that you’re alive. He’s been jittery the last few days. This is the first time you’ve been back on the job in space since you died. I don’t think he can deal with watching his family die again. That sort of stuff really fucks with you long term.

 

xxxxxxx

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Jim_Spock-Kirk

Time sent: 2/21/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Being the first officer is like herding cats.

 

Herding cats is a specialty of all first officers. It is probably worse because you have actual teenagers on board. Okay, you had teenagers last time, but I have a feeling that your navigator was better behaved. You think they could at least, wait a week to break into the distillery on board the ship.

 

Yes, I know what your engineering department is doing. Good luck trying to get them not to do it. Seriously, can’t they just grow cannabis in the greenhouse like all the other ships? We did the best brownies. Also, the ship is less likely to blow up, you know, if nobody tries to smoke it.

 

At this point I should probably ask you if your ship still has teenagers or if Josephine Uhura-McCoy is the only one left? I hope the pilot program is successful because I think that it would be good for families to be on ships again, but I’ll be honest, they gave you a tough group. But truthfully, I think you may be the only one who can handle these teenagers because you’re a lot more like these kids than you realize.

 

Despite the challenges, I’m kind of glad that you’re going back and getting to do the first officer experience because the next time you are a Captain, I think you’ll be better for it. It’s a different job, but you’ll get the hang of it eventually and I’m here if you have questions. I also think you’re right about Spock not sleeping. It is your responsibility as first officer to make sure that your Captain doesn’t drop dead of exhaustion. We frowned upon that in the first officer club.

xxxxxxxx

From: Jim_Spock-Kirk

To: Number one Pike

Time sent: 2/21/2260 12:21:01

Subject: Re: Being the first officer is like herding cats.

 

I’m trying, but I make no promises. I’m starting to realize how much of a workaholic I’m married to. I think Carol may kill him because Spock re-did half of her report. I’m trying to mitigate with the help of her wife, but this may not go well.

 

Also, I am so glad I decided to email that to your private accounts and now I know to make sure all traces of this disappear off the Enterprise email server. See by going straight to being a Captain, I totally missed cannabis brownie time. When Spock gets home, I’m so asking him if he participated in cannabis brownie parties.

 

We still have teenagers, for the moment at least. Three of the five are going to be scrubbing decks with literal toothbrushes for the next two weeks, but they’re still here. Should I be concerned that I am the only one on the ship that has been arrested more?

 

 Maybe things will get better now that classes have started. I hope so at least. Then again, I had to remind my navigator this morning that just because he is only two years older than one of our new dependent minors does not mean it’s okay for her to flirt with him. He needs to shut that down now.

 

I kind of want to worship at Spock’s feet for having to deal with this all last year. It’s a different job yet just as stressful as the last one. I am surrounded by whiny children and not all of them are actual minors. I kid you not, a fight broke out this morning in the cafeteria for reasons unknown, and I’m still trying to figure out what the hell happened. I hate writing disciplinary forms and its just day 4.

 

Also, somehow, I think the gossip may be worse on a ship then it was in the Academy, at least this year anyway. I mean, Enterprise always had a decent/vicious rumor mill, but I don’t remember it being this bad last year, at least not until after I died. Maybe most people know better than to say stuff like that in front of their captain, but forget to not say those things in listening distance of his husband. And maybe I didn’t care because I’m kind of used to people talking about me at this point. Of course, they’re bringing Spock into it now, and that just pisses me off. Seriously, do not talk shit about my husband.

 

Although that’s kind of nice compared to what they’re saying about Demora and Jo Jo. They’re being so nasty. The baby’s too young and thankfully light years away, but I’m sure Jo Jo heard half of it and I know her therapist heard a lot of it. Sometimes I hate people.

 

Okay, I should cut this venting session short because I probably ought to eat something before lunch is over. I should probably tell my husband these things, but I want to give him some time to adjust to the new job before I burden him with too much emotional bullshit.

xxxxx

From: Jim_Kirk-Spock

To: Simmons-ChanEX

Subject: Re: You should probably consider better soundproofing for your quarters

Time sent: 2/21/2260 12:54:26

Okay, I convince Scotty to upgrade the Captain suite to include sound dampening capabilities. Also, apparently there’s now a no shower sex rule.

 

I promise I will email Kevin soon. Maybe right after I send this email. Jo Jo is calling. Apparently, they locked the instructor in turbolift six during lunch. This is like punishment for all the ridiculous and somewhat illegal things I did before my 22 birthday.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 5: Day 5: Greetings from Earth

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all wonderful. I had a good visit with my family. Although that has put me behind with posting.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG

 

Subject: Miss you much.

Time arrived: 2/22/2260 00:00:01

 

I miss you too. Although having your daughter’s mother, Sue, around has helped. Having other grown-ups to talk to is always nice. We had a play date today. I attached pictures. They are adorable together. Kiko is trying to teach your daughter how to crawl. She’s trying to be the perfect big sister. I think Demora may be an expert in it by next week with her sort of big sister showing her the way. I spent all night baby proofing or rather re-baby proofing my apartment.

 

Potty training is a complete disaster, and I think I’m going to wait a few more months before trying again. I was only doing that because my former in-laws and main babysitters wanted to push the issue, but Sue managed to get Kiko into the same daycare program as Demora. Apparently as a Starfleet widow, I am entitled to Starfleet daycare. So at least I don’t have to worry about my daughter’s inability to potty train at 14 months offending the sensibilities of my former in-laws. It’s not like they ever liked to me.

 

You know I was a little worried about you having such a great relationship with your daughter’s mom, but I really do like her. And it is great for Kiko to have a strong female figure in her life. And Sue is strong. I’m enjoying our post play group coffee even if it’s usually wine.

 

During our last chat, I also discovered that because I’m not Starfleet, it is going to take at least an extra day before I get any of your messages from your official Starfleet account. At least that’s what we gathered from the fact that you sent your messages to us on the same day and she got her letter first. Sue believes they are screened to make sure you tell me nothing inappropriate or classified.

 

So, if you don’t get a reply from me for a few days, don’t think that I’m taking you up on your offer to see other people because it’s not something I want. I’d rather have letters for you. There’s toys for everything else. I should probably get a fingerprint lock for that door before Kiko masters the art of running and opening drawers before I can catch up with her. She’s getting there.

Love you

xxxxx

From: Jim_Spock-Kirk

To: KirkKR

Time sent: 2/22/2260 5:21:01

Subject: Greetings from Enterprise.

 

Hi Kevin:

See, I did write you in less than a week this time. It’s only day four of the five-year mission. And no, I did not do it just because your girlfriend emailed me yesterday See, I’m getting better.

 

Okay, Spock bear said I had to stop sending non-work-related text messages to his PADD while working. It’s so unfair. It’s the only thing keeping me sane while dealing with toddlers and actual teenagers, a.k.a the 2Js and the Ashleys. If you include Jo Jo, it’s 3Js and the Ashleys but Jo Jo did not participate in the pranking of their instructor. Her mom may have made Winona look well-adjusted, but at least she taught her daughter manners.

 

All I really want to do is make out with my husband during lunch, but now I have to deal with their stupid teenager antics. Thank God Jo Jo was in there, otherwise we would’ve never found Ensign Hastings. I bet she’s wishing she stayed a high school English teacher instead of coming back to Starfleet post Vulcan.

 

I’m pretty sure when I was captain, I got to see Spock more than I do now. He was always up there with me on the bridge. Although now I’m realizing that was because he was also chief science officer, and I am chief paper pusher and bureaucrat. I spend most of my day in our office doing paperwork. I think it’s because he was just better at paperwork then me. Okay, Spock is just better at everything, but he was a paperwork ninja where I am drowning with at least 6 dozen requests for different rooms or rather different roommates.

 

I think half are from Chekov and his roommate who really does not appreciate having to find somewhere else to sleep when he is hooking up with random people. It’s day five. It is way too early to start having random one-night stands. Not that I would know because I’m happily married (and I would rather spend time with my husband in dealing with their complaints).

 

Is it too early to ask you how your classes are going? I know I haven’t been gone for a full week yet, but I worry mostly because I’m sure a few of your professors might be out to get me. I think your future mommy in law arrested most of them, but you never know.

 

So, speaking of future mother-in-law, Admiral Chen, a little birdie told me that you are practically living with your girlfriend at her sister’s house. Having fun babysitting little Demora Sulu? Have you mastered the art of diaper changing? Remember that if you don’t take your contraceptive hypo like you’re supposed to, you may need that experience. Please for the love of every omnipotent being in the galaxy, do not get Admiral Chen’s daughter pregnant. It’s a small miracle that Sulu’s only punishment is babysitting me and Spock.

 

How is mom? Okay the real question I want to ask, is mom still sober? With me going back into space for the 1st time since almost dying, I’m just worried about her being triggered. At least that’s what kind of came out when talking to Dr. Margarita. Yes, I’m seeing my therapist.

 

We have a long journey ahead of us. I can’t say where exactly we’re going, but I’m going to have at least 3 or 4 weeks where I’m going to have time for correspondence, but not actually have anything interesting to write. The most interesting thing I’m doing right now is reprogramming the replicator to make Snickers. Think your girlfriend for that. It is Jo Jo’s reward for telling me what happened to the tutor recently.

 

So, how bad is the Academy rumor mill? Apparently Enterprises filled with gossips. Most of the ship knows or thinks they know about how your niece was conceived. And unfortunately it is a little more accurate than we would like, because apparently the asshole ex-boyfriend has a big mouth and is trying to paint himself in the best possible light. Asshole. Baby Demora is so lucky that Sulu won the baby battle.

 

Also, you should know by this point that anything they’re saying about me or your brother-in-law is probably 99.9% untrue. So, the current rumor floating around the ship is Starfleet wanted me out completely, and the only reason why I’m still here is because I married Spock. Also, apparently I blackmailed him into marrying me? I mean I’m aware that I married up. But that’s just because Spock is that good and loves me despite the fact I do so many crazy things. How did I get so many people on the ship without basic reasoning skills? They are totally ignoring the fact that I got to keep the rank of Captain.

 

Anyway, right back when you have a chance. I want to hear all about your crazy adventures this semester.

xxxxxx

From: SuluHG

To: Benjamin_2254

 

Subject: Re: Miss you much.

Time sent: 2/22/2260 6:30:26

 

Okay, considering the fact these letters are totally being read through because I didn’t get this until the day after you wrote it. I say I would love to know what you do with those toys, but don’t send me details. We’ll just have to make up for it in June. I hope you’re coming. Also, I suggest using this email address.

 

Also, it’s probably best that you get a fingerprint lock for that drawer. No child should ever find their parents sex toys, even if they are too young to remember.

 

Thank you for the pictures. I’ve added them to the digital frame. The crawling lessons were adorable. I do miss all of you and honestly June can’t get here soon enough. It’s just dawning on me, how many firsts I’m going to miss in my daughter’s life. First, there’s going to be crawling, then walking. I’m also going to miss first words and the first day of preschool. If the five-year mission lasts the full five years, I will miss kindergarten too. That’s a lot. It’s just the longer I am away, the more I realize that.

 

I won’t be able to help you with your second attempt at potty training. Look, maybe I’m a little happy about missing that one. I’m glad the girls are now in the same day care. Maybe it’s good that you guys have created your own support system.

 

Love You

Will write again soon.

To be continued.

 

Chapter 6: Day 6:

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last chapter. I now introduce you to therapy journal entries that will be peppered throughout the story, mostly when they are somewhere in deep space and outside communication is not an option. Most of these entries will be coming from Josephine/Jo Jo, Jim, and Spock.

Of course, Jim and Spock’s will come in letter format. The majority of the time, Josephine will be doing more traditional journal entries. She is still trying to process her mother's death, so it’s going to be a process.

Chapter Text

Excerpts from the therapy Journal of Josephine Uhura-McCoy

February 23, 2260

 

Dear Diary:

 

Dr. Margarita is making me write in this thing because she says it will make me feel better and Mom Nyota is making me go to my sessions. Mom, my biological mom, always said to be wary of doctors that go by their first name. But I like her anyways so I’m going to try to do what she asked.

 

I tried writing out what I was thinking after mom died and it helped a little bit, but I was never really good at it, despite Uncle Jim showing me how. Uncle Spock and Uncle Jim helped, but they’re too busy now. Captains have to do a lot of stuff and technically they’re both captains, no matter what Jeremy and Jason says. I hate them both.

 

I think Uncle Jim only worked with me on the replicator project because I told him what Jeremy did to Ensign Hastings on the first day of classes. Locking her in an elevator was mean. If you don’t want to learn why even be here? Jeremy is an asshole. I know I’m not supposed to use words like that, but this is my diary. If I can’t say what I really want here, then what’s the point of writing in this silly thing. He reminds me of mom when she was drinking, my real mom.

 

I hated her when she was drinking. I know I’m not supposed to talk ill of the dead, but she was horrible and mean and I still wish she wasn’t dead. Uncle Jim says it’s okay to feel this way and Miss Margarita agrees. I’m not sure I believe him.

 

I don’t think I’m going to make any friends on ship, at least not among the other kids who are stationed here. None of the Ashleys talked to me, even before our teacher got locked in an elevator. Telling Uncle Jim what they did to our teacher obviously did not make the situation any better. Which is fine, I don’t need to be friends with people like that or at least that’s what Uncle Jim said. He is the only one who knows what’s going on.

 

I don’t care that they all hate me for being a snitch or whatever. Besides Ensign Hastings is nice to me and that is more than I can say about a lot of my classmates.

 

Okay maybe this helped a little bit. Better than the art therapy class last fall.

To be continued

Chapter 7: Day 7: I think there’s something wrong with the email server

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You’re all wonderful.

A couple of weeks ago I got a review that made me realize that a lot of the characters have multiple names in this story and that might get kind of confusing, especially in this chapter, where I’ve changed everybody’s email address for plot reasons that you will see.
Our title character is Demora Sulu, who was born about a decade earlier in the KTL. Susan is her mother, which I’m taking from prime universe apocrypha. All emails addressed to Demora will be going to her mom’s account for now.

Demora’s aunt by adoption is Elizabeth Chen, who goes by the name Liz and is dating Kevin, Jim’s adoptive brother in this universe. Their mom is head of Starfleet right now. Three stories in, it’s hard to remember all the OCs and obscure prime universe characters that I’ve brought in. However, feel free to ask questions.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

From: Ambassador_Sarek

To: SpockX-Kirk

Time arrived: 2/24/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Are you well?

Dear Spock:

I hope that at this point you have settled into your new duties on board Enterprise and have an opportunity to converse with me. I hope you still have time for such correspondence, despite your increase in duties and responsibilities. I’m certain you are performing your duties admirably. Please inform me of the status of your health and the well-being of your spouse at your earliest convenience.

Cordially, your father.

xxxxxxx

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG

Time arrived: 2/24/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Use this account instead

 

Have you heard from Ben yet? During our play date, he told me he got your letter two days after I got mine from you and I’m sure you wrote us at the same time. That’s just ridiculous. Anyway, you should probably use this email address created by my sister’s boyfriend’s brother.

Anyway, the kids had a great play date. Also, your boyfriend reads all the same books I do and knows how to sneak a good wine into play group. Those women are unbearable without something. He also brought brownies. Seriously, marry that man.

xxxxx

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: Uhura-McCoyJJ

Time arrived: 2/24/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Okay what did your classmates due to your tutor?

So, I was going to ask you how your first day of school went, but then Kevin told me what Jim told him in an email. Apparently, you’re getting the replicator Snickers for helping Jim rescue a poor teacher. Although at the same time I’m not surprised. They did something like that twice my first year. You would be amazed at the crazy things that happened at Starfleet high school or rather the high school in San Francisco that most Starfleet brats went to. There may be a reason why I graduated a year early.

 

So, I think I’m supposed to tell you to hang in there and that it will get better, but my honest advice is get out as fast as you can. It does get better once you get out of high school and unfortunately, your kind of going in a little early since all your classmates will be high schoolers and you’re breezing through the junior high curriculum. You’re smart and I think you can get through the curriculum in half time. That way you can be well on your way to becoming either a doctor or a Jedi. I personally would go with Jedi. I’m trying to convince mom to do a Jedi division.

 

PS: Ask Uncle Jim to make you a cake with chocolate sprinkles as another help me survive these idiots treat. Tell him I said that. He makes the best cakes.

xxxxxx

From: Kevin RK

To: Jim_Kirk_Spock

Time Arrived: 2/24/2260 00:00:01

Subject: So, you probably want to send all emails to my private account

 

Hey big brother I’m glad you had time to write, when you’re not screwing your husband in the shower. Sue has a big mouth. She and Ben are becoming best friends and your next-door neighbor obviously tells his boyfriend and his baby’s mama too much. Also, I’m glad that you wrote me with your private email account. Considering the things I found, you should probably send all future correspondence to this account. I hope you write me more than the last time you were in space. I understood because you were a baby Captain and scared and in a complicated place with your future husband. Do better this time.

 

I promise to listen to you talk about your husband and not be jealous of your relationship with him. I just don’t want to know about your sex life. See, the therapy is working.

 

Mom is still not drinking yet and still seeing her doctors three times a week. Thank God. Although, the anniversary of Sam dying is coming up soon. That’s going to be a rough day. It’s a rough day for me which is part of the reason why we’re doing sleepovers right now. Yes, big brother, I am taking my contraceptive hypo regularly. Baby D is cute, but I’d don’t want to have to change diapers on a regular basis anytime soon. Also, we are not planning to elope anytime soon or at all. I know about the bet because Sue read Sulu’s letter to Desi. Do you not have better things to do like take care of a starship?

 

Okay the other reason why we’re not at the dorms is the rumor mill is god-awful here as well and they keep asking inappropriate questions about how Liz became an aunt. Did you know that the Bastard’s sister lives in our dorm? Also, she has a big mouth. And just because your mom is Admiral does not mean that you can just punch out people that refer to your sister as a slut. For the sake of keeping Liz from ending up in judiciary for punching people out, we would rather spend quality time with an eight-month-old.

 

I don’t think Liz is as used to people talking shit about her sister as I am about people saying terrible things about you. Let’s be honest, Jim, the whole town of Riverside talked shit about you for the entire time I lived there, at least until you saved all their lives. I’m 99% sure that was happening before Winona adopted me. I knew more about Frank than I ever wanted to and I never met the Bastard. Although, I want to kill him.

 

You always told me to hold my head up high when people are talking about me behind my back, mostly about me having a locker filled with protein bars. You told me not to listen to idiots with big mouths and no brains. You told me to tell them to get fucked, but I’m in the protocol classes this semester so I’m learning not to phrase things that way.

 

I have also passed your sage advice on to Liz multiple times during the last week and I now say the same to you. They’re just not worth dealing with. It is impossible for me to care less about these people, literally impossible. I have other things to worry about like the pop quiz in Introduction to Diplomacy. You know, Spock adores you, so don’t worry about their opinions of your marriage. You have better things to do, and for the love of the universe don’t tell me that your husband.

 

PS: Liz told me to tell you chocolate sprinkles. What the hell does that mean?

To be continued

Notes:

So, what do you think ‘chocolate sprinkles’ means?

Chapter 8: Day 9: Diary of James Tiberius Kirk, husband of Spock

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You’re all absolutely wonderful. Of course, at some point we would have therapy letters/journal entries from Jim and Spock. What would the dear Spock universe be without these two spilling all their secrets to each other. For right now, this will be the only story element, where our on ship characters will talk to each other, but that could change over time.

I had planned to post this yesterday but I accidentally left it on my work computer. Then when I tried to post it at lunch today, the Internet was evil and wouldn’t let me. Thankfully I could email it to myself. Sorry.

Chapter Text

February 26, 2260

Dear Spock:

 

So I managed to make it to day 9 (technically) of our five-year mission without waking up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night after having a dying in the warp core flashback/nightmare. But hey, at least there was no screaming involved. This time. Tonight, it was me dying there and not you. Or rather other you dying there. So at least there’s that. Emotional transference sucks and I hope you’re not sharing dreams with me right now. That would just make things worse.

 

Honestly, I was expecting this the first night on the ship. Being back at the scene of the crime for the first time since dying would, of course, trigger nightmares. But it didn’t happen. I like to think you completely wearing me out from the first night did the trick, but you’re currently banning all type of activities like that until the soundproofing situation is fixed.

 

I am sorry again for not locking the other door. Okay, I am sorry for not locking the doors at all. I completely forgot that now that we’re married, they put someone else next-door. On the bright side, the soundproofing will be added tomorrow and at least Hikaru only gossips to his boyfriend and his baby’s mama who happens to be the sister of my brother’s girlfriend. We know the real story on how his daughter came into the world, so it’s not like he will lose respect for us.

 

Now for the rest the ship, there isn’t much hope left. Everybody keeps talking about my demotion. Everybody! Because of course they see it as a demotion and not me stepping aside because I want my husband to get to do the same things I do because he deserves it and not just for publicity reasons.

 

I don’t want to hold you back. We are equals in this. I never want to hold you back because somehow you decided that I was worth your time. Because baby, let’s be honest, you are so out of my league. Why did you fall in love with me? Sometimes I don’t get it. Especially when I have to listen to such bullshit all the time. You know my self-worth is all out of whack.

 

Seriously, why did I die for these people? I mean if I’m going to wake up every couple of weeks to nightmares about actually dying, and I mean real nightmares where I feel the pain of dying all over again, I would like for them to be a little bit nicer about it. Okay, let’s be honest, I did it for you. I always do it for you.

 

I’m never going to regret you being alive or any of the crew members that we actually like. Especially those that are my friends. JoJo is just starting to be okay-ish. I don’t know what would happen if she lost her mom and dad within a month. Of course if Bones died in a horrible crash, maybe JoJo would still have her mom or maybe she would’ve been in the car when the accident happened. You never know.

 

Why did I have flashbacks to dying tonight? I’ve been in engineering multiple times in the last week and a half, mostly to deal with the teenagers and the illegal distillery, but still no flashbacks. Okay, so I take the long way to avoid where I actually died, but I have been down there so that is not the trigger.

 

Also, it’s another three weeks before the anniversary of Sam’s death. That’s more of a trigger for mom and Kevin than me. The actual date of his death doesn’t mean the same as it means to them because I didn’t even find out about it for three more months. Now that’s the day that I just get nauseous thinking about. I’m planning to take the day off like last year. It is easier to do stuff like that when you’re not Captain. So hey, there’s one advantage to switching jobs.

 

Okay, maybe the fact that somebody is spying on us again is leading to unpleasant dreams. And you thought it was silly for me setting up a code system. I mean, the last time it happened, it was all part of the conspiracy that led to me dying in the warp core. After all the trials and hearings over the last eight months, I kind of hoped we were done with all of that and we could just put it behind us, but apparently, it’s happening again.

 

So who do you think is reading our outgoing correspondence? I could totally see Admiral Chan doing it because, well, my brother is dating her daughter and Sulu knocked up her other daughter during a shore leave three-way with the bi curious loser who ran away after the condom broke. Okay, I wanted it to be Chan because she would be the most benign person to be spying on us.

 

At the same time, I don’t think it’s her because Admiral Chan seems like the type of person who would tell you that she’s reading your personal correspondence. She also hates most of Starfleet’s hierarchal bullshit. So, if somebody was ordering her to do it she probably would just tell them the fuck off. You have no idea how many members of the Admiralty she told to get fucked when she violated direct orders to save everyone on Tarsus.

 

Also, Liz warned us so maybe not her. I don’t know. I will send the message once I encrypt everything and set up something non-Starfleet that they can’t spy on. Give me a couple of days, maybe more if I have to keep dealing with teenagers. JoJo is perfect, but some of the others not so much. We are never having kids. Kevin is like it.

 

Although, considering we are being spied on, I think this time around I’m going to do all my letters to you in hard copy. Maybe I should be happy that Margarita gave me an entire stack of diaries or maybe she just realizes I’m that screwed up and may need an entire stack of therapy diaries. Who knows with her. My therapist is strange.

xxxxx

Dear James:

 

Although I do believe that you will successfully create a secure channel to communicate with friends and family outside of Starfleet that will not be monitored, I do agree that we should do any personal correspondence of a private nature via hardcopy therapy journal. I will not use this opportunity to convince you that procreation will be necessary in the future because I do not take your previous comments regarding not having children seriously.

 

I did not wake up, because I shared your dream. I did wake up because you laid on top of me when you retrieved a therapy journal to write to me. I grabbed it to respond to you as soon as your breathing evened out indicating that you have successfully fallen back to sleep without the need of a sedative hypo. I’m grateful for that.

 

Statistically speaking, there is a probability of 37.3% of the Admiralty ordering that our personal correspondence be monitored. However, I do believe most members who survived the purge would not use that information in an attempt to kill you again.

 

I’m not entirely certain what could have led to the return of your recurring nightmare. It could be a number of things including the fact that we will be resuming normal missions very soon. You will be leading the delegation to negotiate a treaty with the Federation in 5.2 days’ time. Maybe this assignment is causing you apprehension? You did almost die of anaphylaxis the first time you participated in treaty negotiations. I do not believe that will be an issue. This time because we will be providing all food per the agreement. Dr. McCoy will also be scanning all food prior to the diplomatic reception.

 

I too believe that Dr. Margarita Cruz is well-suited and a better psychologist than her predecessor. If the nightmares persist, I do want you to talk to her about this issue.

 

If gossip persists, please provide me with the names of these individuals so I can refer them to HR to take the appropriate training class.

 

Xxxxx

Dear Spock:

Okay, so I’m writing you a quick response while you’re in the shower. Thanks to the schedule you created after the neighbor walking in on us during the bathroom sex incident, I know I have 15 minutes to reply.

 

Love you for threatening to send everybody who is talking smack about me to HR, but that wouldn’t be right. However, I will email you a list of the people who are talking bad about my goddaughter and baby Demora. I was thinking about doing it myself, but it’s more powerful when you do it. It’s one of the perks of being a Captain Spock bear. Enjoy it.

 

I so should’ve known that you were actually going to follow that rule about captains not doing most away missions. That makes total sense. You love your rules. They make you happy and actually doing something other than paperwork makes me happy even if it is a negotiation. Also away missions were my favorite part of being a Captain which is why I did more than I probably should have. So, I’m glad that I’m still doing that part of the job.

 

I’m confident that the Admiralty will not try to kill me again during a negotiation with something from the strawberry family, despite the code “chocolate sprinkles” we are dealing with. No one would be stupid enough to try that again. Okay, at least I hope that all the admirals that survived the purge would not be that stupid again. Moments like these make me miss Chris. It also makes me sad we have Rodriguez instead of Mrs. Admiral Pike. Of course, Chen had to avoid the appearances of favoritism.

 

If the dream happens again, I promise I will bring it up in therapy. Yes, I’ve been making my sessions. They usually line up with your extra lab time. Maybe you can spend a little more time after hours with me instead of barging into Carol’s lab because she might kill you. I would just like to say I love you too much to be a widow.

 

To be continued

Chapter 9: Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy 2

Notes:

Thank you for reading and commenting. You’re all lovely. We have another diaries section because Jim is still working on making sure Starfleet or various unknown entities cannot intercept his email. So if you haven’t realized it yet chocolate sprinkles means they’re being spied on by somebody probably Starfleet.

This is short. If I start getting chapters from the next batch back from proofreading, I might upload another chapter in under a week. However, I really don’t want gaps longer than a week if I can help it. I spent Thanksgiving weekend doing the next batch of chapters.

Chapter Text

Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy

February 28, 2060

Dear Diary:

I think Pavel and Liz may be my only friends. Maybe Kevin too, but he hasn’t written me yet. Although I haven’t written him either. Maybe I should write him or at least write Liz back, but that’s not possible because Uncle Jim is trying to fix the email system. Part of me is happy for that because I’m not entirely sure what to say beyond I hate all the other kids here so much.

I had to work on the project alone today again. Not because I’m working on something at a lower level than my classmates, but because nobody wanted to work with the ship’s baby. I’m doing the same math as half of the other students there and they call me a baby. Actually, they called me Captain’s baby. I’m also Captain’s pet. They’re really mad about me having access to a replicator that does Snickers bars. If they didn’t try to block the teacher in the turbolift, they would have access to the snicker bar replicator.

I hate them all. Like I can’t hear what they’re saying about me when I’m at the next table.

 

I haven’t heard from any of my friends in Georgia either and I can’t blame that on the email system being down because I haven’t heard from anybody since Christmas and that was mostly a hasty thank you for the presents that I sent. Okay mom Nyota sent the presents, but I picked most of them out and I did extra chores for a week.

 

Maybe it’s better that the friendships end now. It’s not going to be easy to stay friends. When we’re light years apart and can only communicate through emails that may eventually take weeks to get to Earth. Besides, what do we talk about? I’m living in space with my dad and my sort of step mom. They are back in the Atlanta suburbs with their perfect families and lawns. I used to have that and then my alcoholic mom drove into a tree.

 

The only good thing that happened this week was Saturday making brownies with dad. He managed to get the kitchen just for us. Turns out you can make brownies without eggs. Which is good because we probably will not see actual eggs for at least four months. Also using substitutes from other planets can be dangerous or deadly. Dad has been giving me that lecture a lot.

 

It has been nice to be with him here. I hated it when he was away before. It was even worse because mom wouldn’t let me talk to him. I blamed her for him being so far away. I would never say it out loud because I was afraid of what she would do, but I always thought it. Is that why she drank? I don’t know.

 

Uncle Jim says that it’s not my fault. That it was a problem she had and that there was nothing I could do to change that. Everyone says that, but I believe him at least a little bit because his mommy has a drinking problem as well, so I almost believe him.

To be continued

Chapter 10: Day 13: Now Resuming Semi-Normal Communications  

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are all wonderful.

Chapter Text

 

 

Xxxxx

Therapy Journal excerpts from Jim Kirk, husband of Spock

March 2, 2260

Dear Spock:

So, good news. I didn’t wake up tonight due to a warp core flashback. I did wake up because of a dream about Kevin finding Winona’s body on the anniversary of Sam’s death. March 20 is a bad day for our family. You have no idea how many times I had to… I don’t even know how to finish or explain to you what those days were like before she tried to get clean. I was always expecting to come home one day and find her dead. Then she got clean and I thought I wouldn’t have to worry about her dying of alcohol poisoning anytime soon.

 

After her relapse last June, the fear is back and we are light years away. I don’t want to put this on Kevin. One of the reasons why we switched was if Winona goes off the rails again, I can leave to deal with it and you get Sulu as your temp first officer. And yet Kevin is going to have to deal with the initial fallout on his own.

 

Also, I’m worried that the Admiralty is out to get us again. Okay maybe not get us. But somebody is obviously sabotaging the dependent minors on board program because they sent us hellions. They’re like me, but worse because I never locked an 11-year-old in a Jeffries tube. I never partook in bullying. I was the one getting bullied. I just fought back.

 

I think they’re pissed off because she’s doing freshman math and having private Russian lessons. Okay, I think the last part may be why the girls were involved. Our navigator is very popular with the three Ashleys. Seriously how did we get three girls named Ashley, ages 15 to 17 on the same ship? Somebody in the Admiralty hates us.

 

Hey, can you teach an 11-year-old how to do a nerve pinch? Seriously, I would feel better if Jo Jo could defend herself and apparently her pre-ship self-defense class was mostly about running away. Apparently, they are faster than her. And she won’t tell Bones and Nyota what’s going on. She won’t even tell me what’s going on, but I raised Kevin, so I know that they are responsible for what happened. I can’t prove it enough to punish the brats, but I am watching. If something like this happens again they will be off my ship. I mean our ship.

 

Maybe I should ask Kevin for some ideas or maybe ask him to talk to Jo Jo. Apparently, us adults just don’t understand anything. She may tell him what they did.

xxxxxxx

Dear James:

You are aware it is possible for humans to learn how to do this, but I believe Josephine is too young to be instructed in such a matter. I will talk to Mister Sulu about providing Josephine with fencing lessons to supplement any other training that she has had. She appeared to be intrigued when she attended one of his exhibition matches in January. Not only will this provide her with necessary combat skills, but will provide her with another person to interact with.

 

I agree that you should write your brother about this. You should also write to your mother. However, I will force you to do neither.

Dear Spock:

God, I love you.

I’m already dictating a response to Kevin now that I think I have the system working correctly. I tried to dictate one to mom as well, but well, feel free to look through my recycling bin. There’s like 18 attempts in there and none of them are usable.

PS: Write your father.

Xxxx

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 3/2/2260 11:13:17

Subject: Tell your girlfriend and Sue thank you.

 

Chocolate sprinkles means that the ship is being spied on by Starfleet. Chocolate sprinkles mean that just the bridge crew is being spied on. Rainbow sprinkles means that whole ship was being spied on. Thankfully, that was not the case. Otherwise you would not be getting this email for at least a month as I fix things. This disruption they’re not even going to notice because everyone else is still sending and receiving emails.

 

I’ll try to email mom, especially before March 20 a.k.a. the anniversary of Sam’s death, but I make no promises. Usually letters to mom result in a full recycling basket or broken PADDs. The quartermaster is kind of a little pissed at me for breaking so many during my sabbatical. It’s not my fault Spock can be a little rough in bed and the work ones are so cheap. You’d think they would make them unbreakable by now.

 

Hey, I am betting against you two running off and getting married without telling the admiral because I don’t want to go back to Delta Vega. If you piss her off, it will be bad for all of us. Everybody knows what she did to Susan’s ex-boyfriend, which is probably why he and his sister are being so petty and vindictive right now. The guy totally deserved it. But I don’t want to end up there because of you.

 

I’ll write you again after my first mission in a couple of days. I’m leading the negotiating team because my husband realizes that’s my favorite part of my day job. Hopefully this negotiation will go better than some of the previous ones.

 

On the bright side, it will keep me from spending quality time with teenagers. I really think somebody in Starfleet is trying to sabotage the minors on ship program. Probably not your future mother-in-law because hey, she at least tipped us off to the spying, but it could be someone else, who knows. They’re being extra nasty to Josephine so if you wouldn’t mind being a great little brother and sending her an email that would be great. Her new non-Starfleet email address is kitten_loverJJMU.

 

Just like you in Junior high, she won’t tell me who is treating her like crap. But you know I have my ways. Unfortunately, I think she’s using a hardcopy therapy journal so hacking won’t work like last time, and Spock frowns upon breaking and entering..

 

I’m getting used to my new job. Although things are not too different. I spent most of yesterday reprimanding Scotty for trying to turn engineering into a distillery again. This is not my idea of fun. I had to reprimand him because somehow Rodriguez found out. I’m trying to decide if Pike told her or if Rodriguez is the one spying on us. I was kind of hoping this time our admiral wasn’t out to kill us all. Of course, maybe she just wants to not have kids living on starships. One can hope.

 

It’s probably best that Liz is not on campus. Judiciaries are not fun and well, if people were saying nasty things about my sister and my niece, there wouldn’t be enough people to hold me back. People have no right to be talking about an innocent little baby like that. Also, if Sue wants to have a three-way, it’s none of their damn business. Although I can totally understand why Liz would not want people knowing about the details of her sister’s sex life.

Xxxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 3/2/2260 19:03:06

Subject: Sorry I haven’t written you lately

 

Dear Demora:

I’m sorry I didn’t email you earlier. Uncle Jim had to take the system off-line for a few days to do some repairs and reconfiguring. But it’s all fixed right now so I can talk to you again. I’ve missed you and your mommy.

 

So, what have you been up to? Have you started crawling yet? Learned any unfamiliar words lately? I’ve been doing a lot of flying. I can’t wait until we get there in a couple of days. I love exploring new planets. Okay, I like finding new plants. One of the favorite parts of my job.

In other exciting news, Uncle Spock asked me to teach Jo Jo how to fence. He won’t explain why he asked me to do this, but Josephine was excited when I suggested it. Honestly, I think I was asked to spend extra time with her because the Ashleys are stuck up teenage girls. Promise me you won’t end up like that. Always treat everybody with respect and dignity.

Anyway, love you.

xxxxxxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Sorry I haven’t written lately.

Time sent: 3/2/2260 19:23:01

Sorry I haven’t written you recently. We were having email issues. I assume that’s probably why I haven’t received a reply from my last message. I’m not worried that you met a new hot guy at playgroup that is 100 times better than me mostly because he’s there. Although just to be on the safe side, I am getting your birthday present next month from the red-light district. Hide that from the kids.

 

Anyway, miss you. Having next door neighbors that make out constantly is making it a little bit worse. They’re trying to be discreet, but I know a Vulcan make out session when I see one. At least Jim stopped licking chocolate off Spock’s fingers in the mess hall, which is good because we have children present. I will use children because Josephine’s the most mature one and she is still a preteen. The Ashleys scare me and I grew up with a house full of sisters. Sisters who like to test their makeup skills on me. I’m personally surprise they haven’t emailed you pictures of that yet.

 

Anyway, love you.

To be continued

Chapter 11: Day 14: Now resuming incoming messages

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all wonderful. I hope to start posting chapters sooner than once a week, but that probably won’t happen until after the holidays. We shall see.

Please note that the incoming message from Ben was written before Sulu sent his message. We are reading all the emails from the perspective of the Enterprise email server, which means that we’re seeing them when they arrived at the ship, not when they are originally written. That’s why the timestamp reads time arrived instead of time sent.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG

Subject: Miss you so much

Time arrived: 3/3/2260 00:00:01

 

Yes, I baby proofed that door. I also told Sue to baby proof her version of her drawer. Just in time because Demora has started scooting. That means crawling is only a couple of weeks away. We will get video of it. Don’t worry.

 

Kiko bear is starting to pick up a few more words, one of which sounds almost like your last name. It’s kind of cute. They’re both doing so well and are hitting all their milestones. They both miss you though. I think having the PADD or the daddy bear reading bedtime stories in your voice has helped. Hearing your voice even if it’s not really your voice helps me sleep so I’m sure it does wonders for the kids. Would it be completely inappropriate to have the app on the PADD read me something a little more sensual then the best of Dr. Seuss?

Xxxx

From: SpockX-Kirk

To: Ambassador_Sarek

Time arrived: 3/2/2260 05:12:01

Subject: Re: Are you well?

 

I apologize father for not replying to you sooner. We had some issues with our off-ship communication system. However, James has resolved these issues, which means that same day personal correspondence is possible until the completion of our next mission. After this, all outgoing ship correspondence not marked as essential will be transmitted every 24 to 48 hours depending on our current position relative to key Federation communications outposts. As we get farther from key communications outposts, the lag in nonessential non-Starfleet communication will increase. All non-Starfleet instant messaging applications have been deactivated due to recent misuse.

 

I hope you are well. I am adapting to my new position as captain of Enterprise. However, I too miss certain aspects of my previous position. I would feel more comfortable sending James on his upcoming mission to negotiate a memo of understanding with the inhabitants of #%# if I was the one preparing his briefing materials or at least reading over them beforehand. Apparently, they are not ready for a completely binding agreement with the Federation (and are still somewhat Federation hostile), but they need our expertise to help prevent a possible food crisis in five years’ time.

 

This may explain why I spend so much time going over the reports of the science department. James has complained about this multiple times. I do not doubt the competency of my replacement, but I do miss actively participating in scientific discovery. Yet, during the early part of this five-year assignment, I must focus on keeping the ship running. There will be time for scientific discovery, I hope.

 

James is also well. I do believe he is in a state of being overworked and under stimulated. Part of this is because our intended assistant chose not to join Enterprise 3.4 days before ship launch and we were unable to procure a replacement. James is being forced to do things that he normally would not which is causing him to be somewhat restless. I think it will pass once we are in the active stage of our current mission. It has improved slightly due to his work on the outgoing email system.

 

Of course, historically James is always uneasy as we are traveling to the next mission. He is adapting to his new role admirably. I am upset that other people are insinuating that this was a demotion instead of a choice decided upon by Jim for his own emotional well-being and family needs.

 

You are aware that Winona Kirk is unwell, but most in Starfleet are not. If Winona has a mental health emergency that requires James to return to Earth, he will be able to do so in his current position, but not his previous position as captain. Not unless the situation was dire.

 

In addition, although I do not doubt James’ abilities to be captain of Enterprise after his near-death experience, I don’t think James is emotionally healthy enough to take on all the responsibilities associated with said duties. He still has nightmares and flashbacks to the incident. He is unable to walk near the warp core despite his two sessions a week with Dr. Margarita Cruz. Is it not the role of a husband to share all burdens with his spouse? I need to help carry these burdens whenever possible.

 

Yet some outside our relationship do not understand this. I dislike the murmuring among certain members of the crew. Not all members of the crew, especially those that are aware of the advanced capabilities of Vulcan hearing. But I do worry that such murmuring will be detrimental to James’ emotional healing. I’m always concerned about him. He is my husband.

 

Please write again at your earliest convenience. In the future, also use this email address instead of my Starfleet one for personal correspondence. However, if you must contact me in your role as ambassador, please use the Starfleet account, but do not include anything of a personal nature in such messages.

 

xxxxx

Dear James:

 

I have emailed my father.

Therefore, you should send either draft 6, 12 or 15 or any combination of the drafts to your mother. In exchange for doing this, I’m willing to try out fantasy 672 in my ready room, if you can secure my ready room.

xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: I think our emails crossed in the night.

Time arrived: 3/03/2260 06:15:21

 

I think our emails crossed in the night. Yours arrived one minute after midnight. Maybe they’re holding everything to the dead of night to transmit and we are only getting them every few days. It makes sense, sort of. Even though Jim got the email system working again yesterday, we didn’t get any of the incoming emails until today. Just like yours, they all arrived at midnight.

 

Sorry for my last insecure message. Please ignore. Sweetie, you should start sending things to this email account. I would like to tell myself that the delay in correspondence is because Sue’s mom is trying to decide your fitness as a future stepdad to her grandchild, but that would be too easy and things on Enterprise are rarely easy.

 

No, it would not be inappropriate to have your PADD read that in my voice. I would send you something, but again, I really think the messages are being intercepted, possibly by my daughter’s grandmother. Although, during my misspent youth, I may have written some erotic Ironman/Captain America fanfiction. Tony/Steve, the OG versions. Asked Sue for my pen name. I’m not putting it in this email because I can totally see my benevolent boss blackmailing me with the existence of such writing in exchange for being able to have shower sex with his husband again. Don’t hold anything I wrote at 17 against me.

Xxxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Bcc: Jim’s_cuddlebear

Subject: I’m still alive and kicking mom

Time arrived: 3/03/2260 22:15:21

 

Hi mom:

 

I’m happy to report that nothing crazy has happened yet. Although that may be because we’re still a few days out from our first mission which is now just going to be trying to negotiate a memo of understanding. Apparently, I’m just not good enough for a full treaty. I have no idea.

 

 Okay, it’s not that boring. Four of the five teenagers are systematically trying to make my work life a living hell which I’m not surprised by. Jeremy and the Ashleys are also making JoJo’s life a living hell and I’m not allowed to tell Bones. She barely told me anything. And that’s mostly because I rescued her from a Jeffries tube after the Jays locked her in for three hours, assholes. Thank God, the other J told me what was going on because his conscience started to get to him. Therefore, Spock and I set up fencing lessons for her.

 

I probably shouldn’t have agreed to keeping quiet until things get dangerous. I mean, I made that sort of promise to Kevin, but as an actual grown-up, I realize maybe that wasn’t the best course. Although I will be telling her mom and dad, eventually just not right now. I just hope they don’t do something stupid enough to force me to move up the timetable.

 

So, how’s community life? Are you still doing the art classes? Spock really liked that painting you made for him at Christmas.

 

Okay so I know I should write more, but I’m not that good at writing to you. Okay I’m bad at it, but hey at least this is better than me just sending you a music file. A for effort right?

Xxxxx

 

Dear Spock:

 

As you can see (I hope), I did write my mom. Unfortunately, I can’t completely lock your ready room so that fantasy is going in the vault, but I’m sure we’ll think of something fun to do. I got chocolate syrup. Okay, I figured out how to replicate chocolate syrup. How do you feel about doing the Vulcan equivalent to body shots?

 

To be continued

Notes:

In a world where Jim/Spock did not give birth to slash fanfiction, I had to decide which group of fictional characters would be responsible and I chose Tony and Steve. I mean there’s a canon universe where an always a girl Tony (Natasha Stark) marries Steve. That’s just asking for the birth of slash right there.

Chapter 12: Day 16: Kevin Kirk has No Patience

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all absolutely fabulous. We’re skipping a day because as we get farther and farther from Earth and major communications have these messages are going to take longer and longer to be received. Also, it means that I’m not going to have to write well over 1000 chapters. Although I bet some of you want me to do a 1000 chapter plus story. If you do please review.

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 3/5/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Tell your girlfriend and Sue thank you.

 

Okay, either we are still at code chocolate sprinkles or you’re getting farther away and they’re holding the emails for a little while and delivering everything to Earth at the same time as evidenced by the fact that Liz’s sister got her email at the exact same time I got mine. I want to go with the latter, because poking around didn’t yield anything new. Okay, it yielded some things that I am not at liberty to say, in case this communication is still being monitored. Let’s just say that the dorm gossip problem has calmed down due to the wrath of Barnett.

 

Sue’s mom didn’t tell her anything. Ben told Sue that it took him two days to hear from his boyfriend, even though Sue knows that her baby’s daddy sent the letters at the same time. At that point she was 99% sure somebody with screening the letters. That’s when she had one of her friends take a look and they found something. That’s apparently why I was told to tell you about chocolate sprinkles. We neglected to tell her about my computer skills, which is why she got outside help.

 

I’m not sure who was listening in, but my gut says your Admiral Rodriguez. She used to be friends with Nyota’s mom, but they had a falling out. I don’t know what happened, but apparently it’s gotten worse in recent weeks. Sue has all the good gossip and she’s not sharing.

 

Okay, it’s also could be Nyota’s mom. Apparently, she writes her mom even less often then you write mom if such a thing was possible.

 

I know it’s hard for you to write to mom, but do try. I think it will go better this time around, if you talk to her every once in a while. You know she’s scared about you dying like your dad. The fact that you almost died last year is not doing you any favors. It has been eight months. Liz’s niece has only been alive slightly longer than your death.

 

So, I think it would put mom’s mind at ease if you wrote to her.

 

Yes, I will write to Josephine. Liz wrote her last week, but we haven’t received a reply. Of course, this is probably because the email system is severely screwed up. I’m just going to assume that is what happened.

 

Is she okay with you still calling her Jo Jo? I know she really wants people to use her new name. I think she’s trying to, I don’t know, forget about what happened to her in the new name as part of that process. Losing a parent is hard. But at least I had somebody to blame.

 

Talk to you later, big brother. It’s too early to be this emotional and retrospective.

Xxxxx

From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 3/5/2260 00:00:01

Subject: How are you?

 

Hey Josephine, how are you doing?

Liz wrote you last week, but we haven’t heard back. She assumes classes are just that awful and you don’t want to talk about it. I assume that your response probably got lost in the email. Who knows. It’s weird. It’s never a good sign when emails are showing up in my inbox at least a whole day after they’ve been written.

 

So what’s been going on with you? Done anything cool yet? Feel free to torture my brother by whatever means necessary. I’m not there so you must do it in my stead. You know, make sure he does something other than work and make out with his husband. It’s healthier that way.

Xxxx

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 3/5/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Tell your girlfriend and Sue thank you.

 

Okay, the email system is wonky on your ship.

 

Mom just called to tell me that you actually wrote her. Which is nice. She’s really excited. And happy, especially because you just didn’t send her song lyrics that time. I mean really you thought you were gonna die and you just send her song lyrics. Good song lyrics, but still just song lyrics. That may not have been the best thing. Now she’s trying to figure out what to say to you, which is always problematic. She’s coming over for dinner tomorrow. Just because the gossip is calming down, doesn’t mean it’s gone. Actually I don’t think Liz is ever moving back because Sue needs all the help she can get now that she is firmly a single parent.

 

Xxxxxx

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 3/5/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Sorry I haven’t written you lately

 

Hey sweetie, joint email from me and your boyfriend. We are drinking coffee together as we ignore the other mom’s in playgroup. They’re stuck up little bitches with their perfect husbands’ and their disdain for military service. Like it was our fault that Marcus was secretly building his ship for war because he was off his rocker. Sorry. The guy was a bastard. And so was the other guy and well, if it wasn’t for me going into labor early, we would all be so fucked right now. I’m laughing uncontrollably over your moment of total insecurity. Seriously Ben loves you so much. There’s one other gay dad in our group who keeps trying to ask your boyfriend for coffee and he doesn’t even look at him. It’s adorable.

 

I gave Ben your old username. Good thing you got better at having sex than writing about it. He totally finds it adorable. Total keeper that one. Like seriously, I’m so mad he’s gay and not a little flexible like you. We could have had the best poly relationship ever.

 

I would ask your oldest sister for footage of their makeup tutorials, but I don’t think she likes me (and the youngest said she had nothing). Every time I send her baby pictures or video. She just replies with a curt thank you and doesn’t say anything else. It’s weird.

 

That reminds me, Attached is a video file of our little darling, wiggling her butt around the blocks. Almost kind of crawling. She’s trying. Yes, I will send this to your parents and your sisters, including the one that really doesn’t like me.

 

Okay and now the other moms are talking smack about our kids. Yes, I’m going to have to go.

Xxxxxx

 

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 3/5/2260 19:03:06

Subject: Re: Sorry I haven’t written you lately

 

I think we might already have a poly relationship, kind of sort of. Our family is special. I kind of like that you guys are close. Although seriously, maybe it’s time to find a better playgroup. Maybe one with people you actually like. Isn’t there a Starfleet mommies group or something? There has to be.

 

My big sister being uncomfortable around you has nothing to do with you. It’s more the fact that I managed to accidentally have a kid, even though I am at least 80% gay while she and the husband have been trying for years to get pregnant and all they’ve had has been miscarriages and stillbirths. I think there’s a lot of anger there and jealousy that she didn’t even know was there until the situation happened. I was the last one in the family who anyone would think would have a kid. You know, unless me and you came to an arrangement a decade from now because we are single and don’t want to end up childless.

 

Big sis is going to be jealous because our baby is cute and here, and most importantly alive. I just want to cuddle all of you. Although maybe doing fencing lessons with Josephine will take the edge off of not being an active daddy. I really miss you guys so much.

 

Just try carefully with my sister.

xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 3/5/2260 21:45:54

Subject: Re: Tell your girlfriend and Sue thank you.

 

I’ve checked three times, so I don’t think we’re being spied on now. It probably is. We are getting farther out of range which wasn’t supposed to happen until after we left our next mission, but I am neither shocked nor surprised. I have a feeling that you may have did something to trigger the wrath of Barnett. I’m not going to ask because I want plausible deniability. Bonus points for not going to your future mother-in-law. I think Liz is like that. She likes to solve her own problems, I think.

 

Thank you for writing Jo Jo. I think she really needs a friend. It’s becoming more and more obvious that maybe we should look at different teenagers to participate in this pilot program, only Jo Jo and Jay 2 (prefers Jay to his actual name, or so I’ve been told) are not totally awful. Yes, I can still call her Jo Jo. I just can’t call her JoAnn or Joanna or anything too close to her old name. Sometimes I’m shocked she chose Josephine as her new first name instead of going with something totally different. But it’s not exactly like she has shared with us why she wanted the name change so badly.

 

I think she’s trying to distance herself from who she was pre-crash. Maybe it’s less painful that way. I don’t know if it’s because of her mother’s sudden death or because the situation before was so bad. I don’t know if I should be telling you this, but Bones’ ex-wife was abusive and his former father-in-law was worse which is why they managed to get full custody, despite the fact both of her guardians now live on Enterprise. So, congratulations Jo Jo has more baggage than both of us which considering my daddy died when I was four minutes old and what happened to your family on the planet of the damned, in addition to our Winona issues, That’s saying a lot.

 

Okay I’m glad mom is venturing out to family dinners. I’m glad you’re doing family dinners. Spock has kinda made them mandatory for us. Maybe we should invite Jo Jo sometimes to give her a break from the parents and maybe some of the other kids. Never know. Anyway miss you. Talk to you later. Eventually, chances are I probably won't hear a reply from you first, which I’m sort of excited for because the cabin fever is setting in.

To be continued

Chapter 13: Day 17: More excerpts from the diary of a couple totally in love with each other

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. I’m sorry, I meant to post this yesterday but I got very busy. Now, more fun with Jim and Spock. Aren’t they just the cutest?

 

Also, I’m wondering right now if I need to raise the rating of the story for Jim’s possibly dirty diary entries at some point. Jim is smart enough not to write Spock an erotic/explicit email that Starfleet may come across, but he would totally write Spock a long and extremely explicit list of sex positions that he would like to try out in their shared diary. We shall see.

Chapter Text

March 7, 2260

 

Dear Spock:

 

So it is 2:42 AM ship time and I am still not asleep despite your stellar performance last night. Five stars, will fuck again even though you refused to re-institute shower sex. I don’t know why. Sulu was doing his first fencing lesson with Jo Jo. He was gone for three hours. It would’ve been like the perfect opportunity.

 

Why am I still up when you are currently curled around me like I’m your teddy bear? Probably nervousness. If you were up and not sleeping your minimum four hours for optimal function, you would probably tell me that nervousness is illogical. You know, despite the fact that you’ve been kind of nervous since we arrived on ship last month. You’re such a hypocrite. I love you anyway.

 

So why am I nervous? I’m going with the fact that it is our first real mission since dying, well my first mission since dying. I mean during the interim we did whatever Starfleet made us do which was mostly a lot of paperwork and recruitment so that totally doesn’t count. We barely left the planet outside of our wedding which they hijacked and turned into a recruitment session on the new colony. Okay, our second wedding on the new Vulcan colony, although beautiful, was your dad’s show and you know it.

 

I mean I don’t think we’re going to be ambushed by Klingons tomorrow, I hope. I also don’t think any of the Admiralty would be stupid enough to add stuff from the strawberry family to the menu tomorrow. I mean it’s supposed to be a simple mission get the representative of the planets to sign a memo of understanding with the Federation regarding agriculture assistance, I think. I have to re-read the pre-mission brief again. It was so much easier when you annotated the hell out of them for me. Now I kind of need to use your study methods myself. Or am I supposed to prepare the annotative background papers for you? This is me trying to figure out our new roles. How do I support you?

 

As you are aware, being a first officer is different. I like getting to spend more time with the actual crew, not the ones that are assholes. I spent so much time before dealing with the assholes on the Admiralty that I didn’t know or see what was going on with our crew. Really wish I saw the disgruntled employee that was dousing Nyota with fertility drugs in some twisted attempt to get her boyfriend.

 

And despite the vast quantities of it, I am starting to make a dent in the mountain of administrative chaos. Which makes me happy. That means I will actually get bridge time with you. Well more bridge time. I think we might need like an extra assistant or two, or at least one at all actually. I distinctly remember paneling somebody for the position, but it fell through for reasons unknown.

 

Okay, even the teenagers have given me two days of peace. Which is good because I was really starting to hate that aspect of the job. I expected this tenuous peace to fall apart any moment, but I’m going to treasure it for however long it lasts. I expect everything to come undone when I get shot at tomorrow or something similar. Again, something’s going to go wrong. OK I am yawning and the pages are getting blurry so maybe I should try sleeping again.

 

Love you.

 

PS: Can I get a good morning blowjob? Or should I give you one? Your ears are cute when you sleep. You’re hot. Well cold, but really hot anyway.

Xxxxx

 

Dear James:

 

I do not see you as an Earth teddy bear, despite the fact that I sleep 42.3% better when I am within close physical proximity to you. Although I mostly sleep better because I am warmer when I am holding you. Since you cannot sleep even when completely naked with the thermostat at my preferred temperature, this is the best position for optimal sleep.

 

James, are you aware that when you write to me when you’re trying to fall asleep, you’re somewhat incoherent? You also tend to follow a stream of consciousness style, to some degree. Maybe it was less noticeable when you dictate as opposed to writing the letter by hand.

 

I’m glad you are starting to feel more comfortable in your new role. I agree we could use an assistant, one for each of us instead of the one we were initially scheduled to share. I do not believe Starfleet gave us an explanation for your Ensign West’s last-minute decision to not join Enterprise. After the final negotiations and signing of the MOU, I suggest looking for suitable replacements. The main issue to be discussed is food security which is connected to agriculture so you were partially correct.

 

There’s no need for you to be anxious or concerned.

 

PS: We are not having shower sex again until shore leave.

 

Xxxxxxx

 

Dear Spock:

 

That is still months away. I know you. You may claim to hate water because of your desert dwelling heritage, but you and I both know better. You will be craving it well before our June shore leave. Or maybe I’ll make you crave it. You love my mouth going over every inch of you as the water cascades down on you. See, aren’t you glad I’m doing this in hard copy.

 

I will look at the prospective assistant candidates when we get back. Although it was slim pickings the first time. Maybe we’ll get lucky and some additional people have freed up since I made my initial list. If things go well today, maybe I can start on it tomorrow. The signing is the important part for me. Then our scientists need to get to work. Although maybe the team should go down first and not wait for us to chat. I feel like there’s some stuff missing from the report that might be important.

 

I’ve been told to remind you that the science department is now Carol’s domain. Despite the fact we both know that you really, really would want to find out why their crops are producing just 30% of what they did five years ago. That is your scientific wet dream stuff coming through. After rereading the report while you were meditating this morning, it appears that the situation is not Tarsus bad, not yet. But I think it could get there, which is why they’re willing to ask the Federation for scientific help despite years of really complicated history.

 

Also, if you think what I wrote last night or rather this morning was ridiculously incoherent, I should let you read some of my rough drafts for term papers. Life advice 142: never write a paper hung over. It just goes badly for all parties involved. Also, never write one sleep deprived. That was kind of my natural setting back then, so I’m still surprised I didn’t flunk anything.

 

Yes, it is possible to get through the Academy in three years. No, I don’t recommend it, although, I successfully talked Liz out of doing that. Maybe that’s because she wants to spend as much time as possible with her boyfriend.

 

 

To be continued

Chapter 14: Day 18: More Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. Congratulations, we all survive 2017. Now we begin with my first post of the New Year. It is time for more frustrated ramblings of a preteen. Please note that you’re only getting selected inserts from Josephine’s therapy Journal. If I included all her therapy Journal entries, this story would be nothing but excerpts from a preteen diary.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

March 8, 2260

 

Dear Diary:

 

Living on a starship is not awful. At least now I have access to the botany lab, but still I hate my classmates. It hasn’t even been quite three weeks yet and I hate everything except maybe Jay. He is slightly less of a prick and he warned me not to eat the cookie bar from Ashley 2.

 

Our tutor did eat it and she spent most of the class in the bathroom, which was probably the point. She asked Uncle Jim to reassign her come June. That’s sad because I liked her. She gives me fun projects to do. I hope the replacement will be nice. I hope we get a replacement and they don’t send us back to Earth because everyone else is being so bad.

 

 Do you think I can convince mommy Nyota to let me just do independent study for the next five years? I really think I could learn more by myself. Also, I would like to spend as little time with the Ashleys as humanly possible. All they do is talk about clothes and shoes and how they can convince Pavel to sleep with one of them, but that’s not the words they use.

 

I wonder if any of the teenagers have any real problems. I think Jay might, but he doesn’t talk about it. That’s okay. I don’t want to talk about it either. Except to Dr. Margarita because she doesn’t let me stay quiet.

 

Okay, I’m not completely isolated. Aside from Jay smiling at me when none of the others are around, Kevin emailed me, so I think that means I have actual friends or maybe Uncle Jim made his brother email me. I’m not sure. I’m not sure if I want to know. I really don’t feel like replying, which is why I haven’t yet. If I get a second email, maybe I will. Maybe.

 

Fencing class is fun and Demora’s daddy is really nice. I’m sure I’m going to be learning the basics for weeks to come, but I like it better than the regular self-defense class. Pavel was also there to help. I think it’s because Mr. Sulu doesn’t want to accidentally hurt a child. He’s such a dad. Baby D is so lucky that she has two biological parents that love her.

 

At least I have daddy and Nyota. That’s better than what some have. Jay only has his mom now and she’s always working. But that’s what starship life is like. I wish Dad and Nyota would have more time to spend with me. Now that we’re in an active mission, I haven’t seen mom Nyota since yesterday. She’s part of the negotiations team.

 

Scratch that. She just got back and she is not happy. I can tell because she’s cursing in Swahili. It is never a good sign when mommy Nyota is cursing in Swahili. I managed to make out the words corrupt, selfish, and the cultural equivalent to bastard, I think. Also something about starving and blood. Dad is also fussing over her and asking her to go to Sickbay so he can look her over. That’s not good. I wonder what happened. They’re probably not going to tell me. Apparently, I’m too little to know sensitive mission details.

 

This is not anything new. They tried to hide the fact that my mom died because she had a drinking problem. Like I didn’t know the truth. I’m not a baby. I knew full well what her special punch was. I had to do the recycling. It’s hard to not notice the six large liquor bottles a week that ended up in the glass container. We were not having that many parties. Actually only her boyfriend came over and yes, I knew that he was her boyfriend. I’m not stupid.

 

I cannot wait till I’m an adult. Do you think that they’ll actually tell me the truth then or will they keep trying to protect me? I don’t need it. I just want the truth.

 

To be continued

Notes:

So New Year and a cliffhanger. Yes, I know.

Chapter 15: Day 20: Greetings from the Family

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of conversations. You are all fabulous. Much longer this time and hopefully it will answer a few of your questions.

Chapter Text

 

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Re: I’m still alive and kicking, mom

Time arrived: 3/10/2260 00:00:01

 

I’m glad you’re still alive and kicking. I’m also glad you’re writing me. I wish you wrote me sooner, but I’ll take anything over song lyrics or music files. You’re trying and my therapist says I should appreciate that.

 

Jim, I’m fine. Still not drinking. I know you’re worried about that. I’m worried about that especially as we get closer to May 20. And yes, this is hard on me and Kevin, but we’ll get through it. There is supposed to be a survivor’s events this year. It’s Liz’s idea to commemorate the rescue. Considering who is now in charge of Starfleet, maybe they’ll stop covering up the fact that Chen’s decision to completely ignore orders is the only reason why we survived. I think I told you that part of the story. I know you know everything else now because you look at me differently and what use is your security clearance if you don’t use it occasionally.

 

So how are things? Do you prefer being a Captain or first officer? Have you had any major missions yet?

 

Kevin came over this weekend with Liz along with her niece. She’s cute as a button. She reminds me a lot of you at that age. You were so adorable. At least from what I remember from when I was breast-feeding and trying to stay sober. I’m sorry I wasn’t… I’m sorry I was not the mom you needed me to be back then. I really wish I got help earlier.

 

Xxxxx

From: Ambassador_Sarek

To: SpockX-Kirk

Time arrived: 3/10/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Are you well?

I am still in good health. I am glad to hear from you, despite the time involved. I understand the decision to de-activate the instant message option because an encrypted version was used to plan the conspiracy to have you and your spouse killed for the sake of war. Although I do miss being able to speak to you in near real time, I understand the need to prevent such a conspiracy from occurring again.

 

I am not completely certain your spouse solved all your email issues considering the amount of time it took me to receive your message. I believe that outside ship communications are no longer working optimally before the completion of your current mission. Or has it been so long that you have already completed said mission? If so, how did it progress.

 

I am not offended by the long gaps between correspondence being an ambassador who has been stationed throughout the galaxy and have experienced such lacks in communications before. It once took three months for me to receive correspondence. I do not take such absences as a sign that you wish not to communicate with me, but rather part of the reality of our occupations.

 

Regarding your transition, I realize that it might be difficult to turn over key parts of your former duties to other individuals, but it is necessary. They may not do things the same way you do, but their way may still be nearly as efficient. Trust your staff. If you do so, you will become an effective leader. They will not let you down if you give them the space to grow and learn.

 

Remember, James is there to help you in all things. You must lean on each other, not only in the professional, but also the personal. The thing I miss the most about your mother no longer being with me is that I no longer have someone to speak about my concerns with. Your mother always had the perfect thing to say to me when I became frustrated. It was one of her many skills. Despite being a diplomat, I never had the way with words that she did.

 

Also, still make time to do the things you enjoy. Science brings you enjoyment, so you should schedule time for that. Is it not within your right to schedule yourself time in the lab to work on special projects, thus allowing your spouse to be on the bridge in your place. I trust you and your spouse will figure this out just like your mother and I did many years ago.

 

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Jim_Spock-Kirk

Time arrived: 3/20/2260 00:00:01

Subject: So, what really happened on your last mission?

 

OK so how is your first real mission of your five-year mission going? I read the initial readout in this morning’s report and saw that the MOU was signed. But I feel like something was missing, especially because Chen has been in meetings with the Federation AID all day and apparently, we’re sending a relief ship of rations and a team that specializes in food distribution and cultivation. Why do I feel like I got the clean version?

 

How are you doing otherwise? Are the teenagers still giving you problems? Have you realized yet that they gave you those teenagers because they thought you might be the only one who could possibly handle them, being a repeat genius level juvenile defender?

 

PS: I was joking about the cannabis brownies. Mostly.

 

Xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 3/10/2260 01:23:01

Subject: You really don’t want to know what really happened

So, I changed my email address again. Use this one from now on.

 

I’m not sure if I believe that it is a joke. Honey pie confirmed the pot brownies, but never partook because he’s too smart to mix his drugs.

 

Only the Ashleys and J 1 are awful, so I guess that’s an improvement. J 2 is learning to behave. They managed to put laxatives in their instructor’s food. I mean it’s better than fertility drugs, but it still causes some emotional distress for others. Especially because I know they tried to drug Jo Jo as well. Of course, she doesn’t know that I know because Jay told me in confidence. He’s also looking out for Jo Jo because she reminds him of his little sister. The one that was killed last year. Okay, now I understand why we got some of these kids. I also understand why we got Dr. Margarita since she is certified to work with children and adults. And let’s be honest, some of the people on the ship are children and I’m not talking about the miners.

 

Yes, the mission was not what we expected. We were called in without the King’s knowledge, which was a good thing because he was starting to take a page out of the Tarsus playbook. Oh wait, I’m not supposed to know what happened there. I’m just glad somebody had more sense and we were called in to keep things from getting Tarsus bad.

 

At least there were not that many dead bodies. The King is dead because his wife killed him. He was an abusive bastard and responsible for the current food insecurity issue.  

 

The Queen was the one who called for Federation help. So, if we can keep the people from starving, we might get access to some of their very precious minerals which I know is what the Federation really cares about. I’m being extra cynical right now. Sorry, I need more sleep. I think we can count this as a win, right? Maybe?

 

Yet I should probably go back to sleep or try sleeping for the first time.

 

I probably should write Winona too, but maybe when I’m not this sleep deprived. Spock says I’m incoherent when I’m sleepy.

 

Xxxx

From: SpockX-Kirk

To: Ambassador_Sarek

Time sent: 3/10/2260 05:12:01

Subject: Re: Are you well?

 

I am glad you are in good physical health. I assumed that you would understand more than most about the delay in correspondence. James and I are currently discussing ways on how to free up our schedule to have more time to do things we enjoy as well as spend more time together. James will work on procuring two new assistants as soon as the current mission wraps up.

 

Due to some political matters, we are staying until a humanitarian vessel with food aid arrives. Since our next mission was to be star mapping, there is no real urgency.

 

I will try to write to you when time allows. Please continue to do the same.

X

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Subject: Re: I’m still alive and kicking, mom

Time sent: 3/10/2260 23:21:01

 

Baby D is so adorable. She is the cutest baby in the quadrant. I’m glad they could come over.

I think it’s a clever idea that they’re doing a memorial or something. Hopefully it will be less showy than all the stuff they did for the Kelvin.

You can’t change the past. Well you can change the past, but it’s already been fucked up enough as it is so let’s try not to do any more damage because then we’ll end up with a third...

 

I don’t see you differently. I just understand more about why you were the way you were when you got home. Maybe I was too hard on you before. Maybe I didn’t understand what you really went through and the trauma, but well dying kind of gives you a new outlook on a lot of things. I think I blame that for more of the change in my perception than anything else. I don’t know, but I’m trying. 

 

 Even then I still worry maybe more than before. I think it’s worse because I’m not there. Plus, you’ve almost ended up burying another kid last June due to Starfleet malfeasance for Carol’s crazy daddy. Of course, we don’t talk about Carol’s crazy daddy because she’s a scientist on the ledge. Seriously I wonder why she even came back. It must be for the wife. I don’t even think she likes working with weapons. You know if we lived in a world where everything wasn’t fucked up by five Romulans from the future, I bet she probably would’ve became a biologist. Not that I know that for sure because it’s total speculation.

 

Spock is good. The constant gossiping has slowed down because the Vulcan death glare has come out. Spock is scary as hell when he wants to be. The minions are now sufficiently chastened. It’s a beautiful thing.

 

To be continued

 

Chapter 16: Day 21: We really need to talk more.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 3/11/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I really wish you had told me about your sister?

 

Why didn’t you tell me your sister had a history of fertility issues? We are co-parents now. We are supposed to tell each other these things about our families, so the other one doesn’t completely embarrass themselves or gets excommunicated from the other one’s family.

 

Knowing that your sister may have had a trigger in that regard would’ve been good to know. I mean, you know that my baby sister watched her entire family get murdered when she was a little kid. That reminds me I must get her an ‘I’m sorry your family died during the Tarsus genocide’ gift. You also know about the emergency snack kit she keeps under her bed still.

 

Now I feel like a total bitch for the way I've been acting around her. I wasn’t really bragging about my child, no more than any other new parent, but she’s totally going to see it that way. Every baby photo was probably a jab in the heart. She probably thinks I’m rubbing it in her face that I have a happy and healthy baby, when she doesn’t. She’s probably thinking, “how dare that uppity bitch get pregnant without even trying”.

 

I have been super careful around your friend, Nyota, for that reason. Of course in that case, everybody knows because there was a trial. Seriously, we need to share more. I want your sisters to like me.

 

Your little sister, AKA the one who probably doesn’t think I’m a horrible person invited us (me, your boyfriend and our children) to the annual Sulu family spring barbecue. I’m not sure if I should even go because your older sister probably hates me. Also, your grandmother hates me because I gave birth to your kid out of wedlock and that I did not successfully turn you entirely straight. Seriously, she must hate your dad’s parents.

 

Of course, if I don’t go, it will probably be worse. Your mom really wants to see her baby girl and they are coming all the way from which ever colony they retired to, so I should be there with her granddaughter. This would be so much less awkward if you were actually with me. You’re supposed to be with me for the meet the parent situations. Okay, I met them at Christmas, but that was awkward enough to last an entire lifetime.

 

I’m looking for a new playgroup. Not the Starfleet one because my ex-boyfriend has poisoned the well there and my mom is their boss. That will just lead to badness. Maybe I should talk to Admiral Barnett’s wife, Jane. She knows everything.

 

Xxxxx

 

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Re: I think our emails crossed in the night.

Time arrived: 3/11/2260 00:00:01

 

Even though Sue wrote you a few days ago, I feel like I should write you too. I kind of liked reading your old stories from when you were a teenager. It’s like I’m seeing another part of who you were back then. I want to know all the things you were into as a teenager.

 

I should let you know that, apparently I’ve been invited to your family reunion by your baby sister. Is it weird that I’m going to your family reunion without you or that they even invited me? I only met them once at Christmas.

 

So how are things in space? How is your first mission going? Discovered any cool plants?

Anyway miss you.

 

Write me when you get a chance.

 

xxxxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time arrived: 3/11/2260 06:08:31

Subject: I really wish you had told me about your sister?

 

Sorry, yes, you do have to go to the Sulu family picnic because it’s really the Sulu family reunion. I haven’t had to go for a few years because I’ve always been in space, but now that you are the mother of the grandkid, you are expected to be there. I will get angry emails for months if the baby is not there to be promptly spoiled.

 

Although I do find it odd that they invited Ben, but he was the hit of Christmas. And when I mean hit of Christmas, I mean that I got grandfather’s engagement ring.

 

My mom's mother is just a homophobic bigot. She is very conservative. Allegedly, she cried for a week when she found out her Japanese daughter was marrying a man of Filipino, Korean, and Japanese ancestry with two fathers. Okay and she probably isn’t that happy that the mother of my child is Chinese-American and she doesn’t even know about your British sister yet. Sometimes, I think she should have been born 300 years ago. But hey, she’s not going to be there so you probably won’t have to worry about her until next Christmas, if she lives that long.

 

The grandfathers love you though. And hey, I have three grandfathers, so you’ll do good in that regard. Okay grandma doesn’t get along with the other grandpas which explains the divorce. She’s still bitter about that. Okay, maybe I should give you a guide on how to survive my family. Right now just have Demora in your arms at all times and I think you will be okay.

 

I doubt my big sister is going to see you giving her baby pictures as you rubbing our baby in her face. I don’t think so at least. I do think she’s a little sad though, but she wants quality time with her baby niece as well. You do not want to know the email I got from her for keeping the baby from her for the first few weeks. Even though I didn’t know. So that’s another reason for you to go to a very Sulu family reunion.

 

Good luck on finding a playgroup. There is an LGTBPQ Starfleet parent playgroup that one of the new doctors told me about. Maybe that would be slightly less pretentious. Your daughter has a gay parent, so I think that counts. And you will have Ben with you.

 

Anyway miss you. Send me lots of pictures from the family reunion.

 

Xxxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Re: I think our emails crossed in the night.

Time arrived: 3/11/2260 06:24:21

 

Thank you for writing. I mean, I’m okay with joint replies from the two of you because obviously you’re becoming the best of friends. I’m happy about that because when I first found out about my daughter, I was afraid you would leave me because you couldn’t get along with the mother of my child. I’m glad that I don’t have to worry about that.

 

Now, I’m terrified about how close you two are. You two will get in so much trouble together. Make sure Suzanne doesn’t punch any of the other mommies out before you find another playgroup. There’s an LGTBQ Starfleet one that may be a good fit. Sue got in a lot of bar fights during the Academy so I can totally see her getting in a playgroup fight, especially because you two keep smuggling in booze. If you have to drink to tolerate the playgroup you are in, you are in the wrong playgroup.

 

Work has been busy and this mission wasn’t quite what we were expecting due to the coup d’état by the Queen, but it was a necessary coup d’état. We’re still trying to figure out why the crops failed so spectacularly here. It looks like somebody tried to genetically modify the plants to increase production, but the opposite happened. I’m still trying to figure it out. I love a good puzzle.

 

Fencing practice has been going good. We’ve had two sessions so far, but I think she really has potential. Also one of the other unaccompanied minors keeps watching our sessions. Maybe if he joins us, he will stay out of trouble. One can hope.

 

Finally, unlike with Sue where it’s mandatory she shows up because she’s the mother of a Sulu, you don’t have to go to my family reunion. I would like you to go for Sue’s sake, but I don’t want you to really have to go through the meet the extended family thing without me. You met a lot of the family at Christmas, but those were mostly the family members I like to speak to on a regular basis, except for the racist grandma. The extended family is worse, so much worse. However, the Japanese Filipino Korean fusion menu is fabulous and worth putting up with the crazy family alone. Kobe beef Korean barbecue.

 

Anyway I’ll write when I can. I think we’ve got to the point where communications will be really sporadic. So just remember I care and really miss you, even if it may be like another month before you get another email from me. God, I hope it won’t be that long.

 

Love you, always.

To be continued

Notes:

I would just like to point out that not all of Sulu’s email to his boyfriend will make it through because he accidentally said too much. See if you can guess which lines will end up being redacted.

Chapter 17: Day 23: Complicated conversations with mother figures

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. So, more family drama ahead.

Chapter Text

 

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 3/13/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Congratulations on your coup that was not a coup.

 

I had lunch with Chen today, so I now know the whole story of what happened on your first mission. She’s pissed. It’s never good when the Mandarin curse words come out. Not at you, but the situation and maybe a little bit at whoever prepared your intelligence packet.

 

She would also like to know why you had your communications officer send her the real version of the report in pre-warp Mandarin? I’m assuming code chocolate sprinkles or is it rainbow sprinkles is in effect? You really should’ve left me with a copy of your codes.

 

Also I was told to pass on to you that if Liz or your brother are having problems in Academy housing and are too afraid to tell her then you should. Or at the very least convince them to tell her what’s going on and not hide at her sister’s apartment or send anonymous video files to Admiral Burnett. I feel like there’s a story there. But Chen did not elaborate. Also, you need to remind a certain neighbor of yours what they can and cannot tell their boyfriend via personal correspondence. They’re not planning to release a sanitized for consumption press release regarding what happened for at least another week.

 

So obviously you now realize that every child chosen for the program has lost at least one parent to tragedy or has always been a member of a single parent household. That would be Jeremy. He is the one with the arrest record to rival you. His dad just left before he was even born.

 

All the Ashleys lost one of their parents during the battle of Vulcan. Mr. Martinez lost his little sister last year to one of the few forms childhood cancer that we haven’t cured yet. Then his father committed suicide the month after. So the fact that he’s starting to come around and help you is a good sign. That kid needs all the help he can get. I think you’re the one who can provide that help. If anybody understands what those kids need, it’s you. I believe you can do it.

 

Xxxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 3/13/2260 06:02:01

Subject: Why didn’t you tell me that earlier?

 

It’s great that one of us believes I can do this because I don't. They are all so fucked up. Jo Jo is like the well-adjusted one and her mom wrapped herself around a tree last year. Therapy, they’re all getting mandatory therapy. Even one of the Ashleys has her own Frank.

 

So obviously I finally read through everybody’s dossier beyond the arrest record section. I mean, I should’ve realized it was this bad because why else would their parents qualify for the trial program. Yes, I realize I’m a dumb genius sometimes. So I guess this means I have to try harder to keep them in check or to help. I’ll talk to Sulu about inviting Jay to do fencing lessons as well. He really misses his daughter and I think helping Jo Jo has lessened the pain. Actually, self-defense classes might be good for the Ashleys. Especially the Ashley who got raped by her uncle Frank.

 

Maybe helping another kid will help. I may have to write Dr. Suarez. I can ask her how she helped me, especially through all the Frank stuff.

 

Were doing good things on the planet. It was only a tiny coup d’état. Only the king died and he was starving his people so I’m not that upset about it. Now that he’s gone, the food distribution is happening appropriately. We also think the lab has found what was causing the crops to produce less. Pollinator killing chemical being released into the atmosphere by the king, no less. Even alien plants need pollinators. Thankfully, things did not get to irreversible levels before we got here. The situation is stable for the moment and it will hopefully stay that way with additional Federation Aid oversight for recovery and relief distribution. I really would like to avoid Tarsus part 2, especially because we’re getting close to the anniversaries.

 

Speaking of Tarsus, I should really write Kevin soon. Maybe send a gift. That probably would be best.   

 

Anyway, I will try to write you again later.

 

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: How is colony life?

 

Time sent: 3/13/2260 06:15:54

Hey, it’s Jim. Your favorite former adolescent patient. I hope at least anyway. This is my new email address. It was time for a change.

 

So how is your second tour of duty on the new Vulcan colony? Is it going better than the first time around? Things are going good with Margarita. She is actually picking up on my sarcasm and she did not start giggling when I went on a 15 minute tangent about Spock not wanting to have shower sex or any fun activities with chocolate syrup. I mean it’s not like we haven’t done ice cream play before, but he kind of doesn’t want to be chocolate tipsy and something on the ship go wrong so I can’t blame him. Let’s be honest, the universe will go to hell the moment we try to do something like that.

 

Okay, I do want to know how things are going with you, but I also need your help. So, you know that Enterprise was chosen for the trial run of the new minors on starships program and well somehow, they chose preteens and young adults that are somewhat more screwed up than me at that age. I think Jo Jo might be the well-adjusted one and she is being bullied and I think she cries a lot. Her eyes are always puffy. She won’t talk about it. She won’t talk about anything. And again she’s the good one.

 

One of the Ashleys even has her own Uncle Frank. That is causing all sorts of bad memories to come back up. No one should have to deal with an Uncle Frank. I shouldn’t have had to deal with an Uncle Frank. But at least Ashley 2’s mom kicked the evil boyfriend to the curb after she stabbed him with a barbecue fork. Starfleet didn’t count that against her. Well, Chen didn’t count that against her. Actually, I think Chen gave her a promotion.

 

So what do I do? They’re all acting out, mostly on Jo Jo. I’ve already lost our tutor. Finding a replacement is going to be awful. I need help. You handled me and I was a lost cause. Help!

To be continued

Chapter 18: Day 24: The Trouble with Moms

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: MomOU

To: NyotaUM

Time arrived: 3/14/2260 00:00:01

Subject: How is the five year mission for you?

 

How are you Nyota? I haven’t heard from you since your mission began and I just wanted to see how things were. I know how the ship is doing. Pike is a friend. If anything was really going wrong she would tell me, even if Rodriguez isn’t speaking to me anymore. I know your first officer or is it other captain managed to get the MOU signed. That’s a good step forward since we’ve had such a hostile relationship previously. I guess not starving to death is good enough motivation to take the first tenuous steps toward normalizing relations.

 

So what have you been doing? How is your stepdaughter adjusting to life on the ship? How are you adjusting to full-time parenthood and a small space where you can’t run away?

 

Please write me back when you have a chance. I know we haven’t always had the best relationship, but I’m hoping things can get better.

xxxxxx

From: NyotaU

To: Leonard M

Time sent: 3/14/2260 12:02:13

Subject: My mom just emailed me.

 

Please see message below from my mom. I’m not even sure how to respond or if I should respond. I mean, she was great at Christmas, but I’m still angry. I might even be angrier now that Josephine is here with us. I mean, there was a coup d’état on the planet we’re orbiting, and we managed to keep our baby safe. Why couldn’t they do that? Why couldn’t they have fought harder for that?

Xxxx

From: LeonardUM

To: NyotaUM

Time sent: 3/14/2260 12:49:13

Subject: Re: My mom just emailed me.

 

Sorry, Nyota, you have to respond. And not just because she's an admiral that could make our work life very difficult if she wanted to. Although, that’s a big part of it. If my child was in deep space, I would want to know how she was doing. She’s trying. That’s all you can ask for. Now that you’re a parent, you should realize that parents are not perfect and make a ton of mistakes. We are people too. Some of us are more screwed up than others. That doesn’t mean you have to forgive her, but an email would help. Besides, some of it may have been out of her control. You know I would’ve done anything before to be with Jo Jo, but her mother made sure that was not a possibility.

 

Also, sorry I couldn’t have lunch with you. Half of engineering has the Romulan flu. I don’t even want to know how they contracted that.

Xxxx

From: NyotaUM

To: LeonardUM

Time sent: 3/14/2260 14:02:13

Subject: Re: My mom just emailed me.

 

It's okay. I don't even want to know how so many in engineering ended up with that strain of flu. Did they all skip their vaccinations? I hope you make it to dinner at least.

 

She did ask about Josephine which is good. She referred to her as my stepdaughter, but baby steps. Although maybe I didn’t tell her about the adoption. I’ll try to draft something tonight and let you look over it so you can delete all the curse words.

 

Also, you know you can’t blame yourself for the previous bad custody arrangement. Josephine knows that you would’ve been there if you could.

Xxxxx

From: LeonardUM

To: NyotaUM

Time arrived: 3/14/2260 16:45:01

Subject: How is the five year mission for you?

 

Thank you for at least trying to meet her halfway.

 

Dr. Culber has the second shift tonight. Since I find him competent enough to deal with everything in his own, I’ll be there for dinner. Sometimes I wonder how he ended up on this ship.

Xxxx

From: NyotaUM

To: LeonardUM

Time sent: 3/14/2260 18:02:13

Subject: Draft response: Thank You for your email

Please read below and let me know if this is safe to send to my mom. I think I kept the anger to a bare minimum on this. Let me know what you think.

 

xxx

I am good, wonderful. It helps that Leonard is actually an involved parent. We make a good team. We have no idea why Josephine would rather sit with me at lunch then her classmates, but we’ll figure it out eventually. Josephine’s OK or as OK as you can be six months after losing your mom and being shipped off to a strange starship filled with weird strangers, some of whom were assholes.

 

BTW it probably helps that we’re actually with her instead of sending her off to boarding school to deal with grief alone. Thank God I had Marc. I don’t think Josephine has that. None of her Georgia friends have emailed her at all, only Admiral Chen’s daughter and Captain Spock’s brother-in-law. They have bonded over mutual loss, but I don’t think that will happen with the Ashleys. They seem way too superficial or at least are trying to deal with their grief through superficiality. I have hope for Jay, sort of.

 

Leonard is good. He is currently dealing with a flu epidemic, but he is getting through it. He likes the new nurses and doctors on his team. Thankfully none are crazy and trying to sleep with my husband. I like Dr. Culber, more importantly Leonard likes the doctor. He actually trusts the man to take care of his medical bay while he’s having dinner with us tonight.

 

 Leonard might even have a new friend. You have no idea how hard it is for him to make friends or me for that matter which is probably why we’re together. I think we’re going to try to do a dinner sometime. Dr.

 Margarita says I need more adult friends. Yes, I am still in therapy. I’m probably going to be there a while.

xxxxxxx

From: LeonardUM

To: NyotaUM

Time sent: 3/14/2260 18:32:13

Subject: Draft response: Thank You for your email

I think you can send that as soon as you replace husband with boyfriend. You don’t want her to think that we eloped sometime during the mission.

To be continued.

 

Chapter 19: Day 26: Dear baby girl

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time arrived : 3/16/2260 00 :00 :01

Subject: Re: I really wish you had told me about your sister?

 

Fine, we are going to a very Sulu family reunion. Ben is bringing cake because I burn water. Again, I implore you to marry that man. He has like 80 cake recipes on file. He’s planning to do something with chocolate ganache and salted caramel buttercream. Seriously, why couldn’t he be bi or at least be hetero curious like you?

 

Now I’m having fun hearing from you because I need as much grown-up time as possible. But most of your emails, I can’t read to Desi so maybe you can send something to her. You need practice for when you’re going to be sending these letters to Liz instead of me. That reminds me, I must start getting the custody papers together soon. I had lunch with my lawyer Sean, AKA your ex yesterday to deal with all the legal stuff.

 

I’m thinking about having Liz and Kevin be Desi’s guardian when I’m in space. I know they’re young, but they’re so good with her. Plus, they’re here all the time, so her routine won’t be that out of whack. Also, this way she won’t have to live in a strange place for months at a time. I don’t know. It’s just something for us to discuss at some point. Shawn thinks it’s legally sound at least.

 

BTW, Desi has become the master of scooting and I think she’s going to start crawling soon. Fingers crossed. I attached a video. You’re going to love it. She’s adorable.

Xxxx

 

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time arrived : 3/16/2260 00 :00 :01

Subject: I really wish you had told me about your sister?

 

Dear baby D:

 

Hey baby girl, how are you? Have you picked up any new skills since the last time I wrote you? I heard that you are mastering scooting. Have you got to crawling yet? I may have sent you a doll to help you pick up that skill. My mom used something similar with me because I sort of walked first.

 

 Have you tried any new things? I know mom is starting to work you through solid foods before I left. Have you developed a favorite yet? You’re going to love strawberries. You know, unless you end up allergic to them like Uncle Jim. Oh, I hope you don’t have any food allergies. That man scares me when he has reactions.

 

Have you made any new friends? Mommy tells me you’re trying to find a new playgroup. How’s that going? Also, I heard you’re going to a very Sulu family reunion. You don’t have any first cousins yet, but you have lots of second and third cousins. I think a few might be around your age. Apparently, my siblings and I are the late bloomer side of the family. I want more pictures. I got a few, but I want more.

 

So, quick question in a couple of months when mommy starts working on a starship, again, do you want to live with grandma, aunt Liz, or your auntie K? I like Liz. She’s a mature 20 because life has not been kind to her, but she’s still in the Academy. And that would mean daycare. Of course, grandma’s working full time as an admiral, so you would end up spending quality time in daycare regardless.

 

Now Auntie K would not have that problem. Wedding planners have more flexible hours. There are also my parents who are now in Florida not some far-off colony. I don’t know where your mom got that from.

 

From: MomOU

To: NyotaUM

Time arrived: 3/16/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Thank you for writing

 

OK you’re obviously still angry about boarding school, but at least you returned my message in under a week, so I’ll take that as a win. I am still sorry about boarding school. I should’ve came back, but… There are no excuses I really should have come back. I’m sorry.

I’m glad you’re making friends.

 

I’m trying to make amends here and I’m not sure how. I think the most helpful thing I’ve done is make sure that your boyfriend’s medical staff won’t try to drug you again. I know you’re still upset about the consequences of the fertility drugs and rightfully so. However, I’m thankful she didn’t give you something that could have killed you.

 

If you need me, I’m here. Just let me know how I can help. The only thing I can probably do is get a second tutor sent to Enterprise just for Jo Jo. She’s younger and could probably use more attention, but that’s all I can really do now. Anything more could get the whole program jeopardized and I want you to be able to keep your stepdaughter with you.

xxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 3/16/2260 06:45:54

Subject: So how are you doing? How are you really doing?

 

Okay so looking at the calendar, I realized that yesterday was your Tarsus sucks anniversary day. I ordered you a giant cookie basket. Although considering emails and anything similar are functioning in crazy ways at best, I’m not sure if you got the delivery same day. On your Tarsus sucks anniversary day, you need junk food. I’m making Spock brownies on the first anniversary of Amanda’s death. I’m probably going to do it again this year. That’s kind of soon. It’s like one bad anniversary, after another. June is going to be an awful month this year.

 

So, I guess you should be happy to know that we prevented something similar from happening on my last mission. No, I can’t give you details. Ask your future sister-in-law. She knows all the good juicy gossip. Because we have things stabilize, I think we’ll be leaving in about two or three days. Really, I'm just glad history is not repeating itself.

 

Have you heard from Jo Jo? She’s still not really talking about what’s going on. I’m getting more Intel from Jay secretly of course because he doesn’t want the Ashleys or Jeremy knowing that he’s a double agent in the war on authority. Or maybe the kid just wants friends. His face lit up so much when I suggested he do fencing training with Sulu.

 

Poor baby can compete with us for most screwed-up family which is remarkable. I mean my dad died the moment I was born due to time traveling Romulans and well, there’s a reason why yesterday sucks for you. But we got through it and are kind of functioning members of society. So, there’s hope for the next generation that they too shall overcome their own personal tragedy. Oh God, I think I'm going to have to get Margarita like six boxes of chocolate this shore leave. Do you think I can talk Spock into another therapist? I think the ship needs at least two, possibly three. We’re all a little screwed up.

 

Mom told me you guys did dinner. Kudos on bringing baby D as a buffer. Nothing awful happens when you have small children there. Especially when she’s adorable.

 

Seriously, what did you do to take care of the gossip problem? I got a cryptic message via Pike that Chen was extra irritated and would like for you to tell her when there are problems instead of fixing them by yourself or going to Barnett. She even mentioned going to Spock first. Seriously, what did you do and how illegal? She suggested Spock as an alternative. Do I need to call the lawyers?

To be continued

Chapter 20: Day 28. The cookies were lovely

Notes:

Thank you for reading and reviewing. You’re all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 3/18/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Thank You for the cookies

No lawyers needed. Also my girlfriend’s mom terrifies me.

 

I got the chocolate and the cookies. Desi tried to eat one, but she was given mashed pears instead. Most of which got in my hair. Pictures attached. You can thank Liz for that. She’s taking a ridiculous amount of pictures of everything her niece does. It’s kind of cute.

 

I’m okay. Okay, I cried on Liz like twice during sex, but I’m okay. Mostly.

 

I miss my parents. I loved my parents, but if Tarsus didn’t happen, I wouldn’t be here, and I love you and mom and Liz. I have a good life right now. If things were different, none of you would be here with me. Sometimes that makes me feel guilty. Survivor’s guilt is a very fucked up thing or at least that’s what my therapist on campus says. I think that’s mostly what I’m feeling right now.

 

I wonder if Josephine is going through something similar. If she wasn’t at Disneyland of Georgia, she could very well have been in that car. Maybe she’s thinking if she was there, the tree thing wouldn’t have happened. The mind of a preteen is a very scary place, especially when the guilt is bad enough.

 

I haven’t heard from her. Liz hasn’t either. That concerns us both. We’re both going to write her today. We will use the screwed up communication system as cover.

 

Things with mom are still stable. I’m terrified that things are going to get unstable because we’re just days from the anniversary of Sam’s death. And I don’t know if she can take the anniversary in her current state. I was really afraid we were going to have a relapse on your real birthday.

 

Everything that happened related to Sam’s murder was bad. Everything that happened on Tarsus was bad, but what they did to your brother was just barbaric. I saw it happen and I just don’t want to remember. He was so good to us little kids. Keeping us safe. Without him, or your mom, I don’t think I would still be alive. Okay I know wouldn’t be alive. So these are the bad days.

 

Then I kissed Liz and I play the bunny game with Desi and it’s okay. I don’t feel like I’m going to start crying at any moment. So I guess that’s a plus. Midterm absolutely suck and I hate that they fall during this high stress time for me, but I’ll get through it. It’s definitely easier to get through it this year than last, because I have Liz.

 

Also, knowing that you’re up there trying to keep a repeat from happening makes it a little easier. You keep doing what you need to do to keep Starfleet being what it needs to be.

 

I’m kind of a mess right now but I’m okay. Be good and come back to me. I love you, big brother.

 

From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 3/18/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: So how are things going for you?

 

Hey, I thought I would check in with you to see how things were going. Did you get my last email? I was worried that maybe you did not get it because Jim said there were some technical problems with incoming non-Starfleet messages. Apparently you’re getting farther and farther out into space so it could be like a week before you actually get this email if you get this email. So I hope they’re actually coming through.

 

Anyway I thought I would write you as a distraction. Yesterday was the anniversary of when my parents died. No drunk driving accident, but I saw it happening so this whole time of year is kind of an emotional stress for me. I mean it’s better this year because I have Liz and Winona is having a good couple of weeks at least.

 

That said, this is still a painful time of the year. I miss my parents. I love my adopted family. They are great, even though Jim can be an idiot sometimes, but that doesn’t mean I don’t miss my birth parents because I do. Having the new thing doesn’t replace what you lost. It’s just a new thing to ground you.

 

Other than Liz and now you, I don’t have that many people I can talk about that type of loss with. I mean Jim knows what it’s like to lose a parent, but he was a baby. Also I don’t think he feels the survivor’s guilt. He doesn’t ask himself why he’s still here and they are not. At least not with his dad. Maybe he asked himself those questions about Sam or even Chris. I don’t know. And maybe I’m afraid to ask. The anniversary of Sam’s murder is coming up soon and Jim and I have a really tough time talking about our feelings. Ask Uncle Jim about the hissy fit I threw before his human wedding last summer. It took the intervention of one of Spock’s grandparents to get me to stop being an idiot.

 

We’re trying to work on their interpersonal communications. It’s 50-50.

 

Also on top of all the emotional stuff, I have midterms. Midterms! God, I hate the Academy sometimes. Only two more years after this semester and that’s only because I’m not taking a suicide course load. Jim was a masochist.

 

Since this is such a high stress time of the year for me, I could use a distraction. Please provide me with a distraction. What crazy antics are my brother and his husband doing that you can tell me? I think a lot of the stuff that he’s doing is a little on the mature side and I hope you don’t know yet. You should enjoy being a kid. I didn’t quite get that because of things that will probably be redacted from your history class. Maybe that’s a good thing.

 

Anyway write back when you can.

 

Xxx

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 3/18/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Isn’t my niece adorable.

 

Hey, I thought I would send you the latest pictures of Demora being cute. We can all use more cute baby pictures. Yes, she covered my boyfriend in what I think is supposed to be applesauce or some other fruit-based product, but she was so cute doing it. Doesn’t she just make you smile? I’m sure you could use it.

 

So are all your classmates still assholes? I’ve heard things from Jim, but nothing from you. Did you even get my last email? I’ve been told you guys have been having outside communications issues which is sad because you need some outside contact. Have you been in touch with any of your old friends from Georgia?

 

Anyway, write back when you have a chance. I’m sure classes are getting busy. I’m in the middle of midterm madness and my niece keeps drooling on my class PADD. Thankfully, the thing is baby drool proof.

 

Xxxx

 

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Elizabeth_Chen; Kevin KR

Time Sent: 3/18/2260 16:21:51

 

Subject: I’m okay-ish

 

I’m hoping it’s okay if I email both of you at the same time. Thank you for the pictures. They were adorable.

I got your email and the one before. I just didn’t feel like responding. I like being on the ship. I just don’t like the other teenagers. I don’t know why I couldn’t be here alone. One person is enough for a trial program, right? I’m eating lunch with mom and dad whenever possible. At least this way I don’t have to worry about classmates putting laxatives in my food. Jay is the only one of my classmates that talks to me at all and not in class or in front of his other friends which is annoying.

 

Also I don’t have any friends in Georgia anymore because they couldn’t be bothered to write me even though I sent them all really nice Christmas presents. I’m not going to try to write someone who doesn’t want to stay in touch.

 

Kevin, so even though it’s been more than a decade you still miss your mom and dad? Is it the same for you, Liz? Does it get easier with time or does it still feel like something is missing. Do you forget sometimes that they are dead? Sometimes I wish I could just tell Mom what’s happening here, but if she was alive I wouldn’t even be here so it’s just silly to have that desire, yet I do. I guess this is probably something I should write about in my therapy Journal.

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 3/18/2260 22:39:01

Subject: Re: Thank You for the cookies

 

Not one second of Tarsus was your fault. Nothing that happened was your fault. You shouldn’t feel guilty that you survived and that you’re living your life now. I think that’s what your parents would’ve wanted. I think that’s what Sam would have wanted for me too, to be happy. We are happy. We are with people who love us, baggage and all.

 

I know it’s hard for us to talk about it, but you know I’m here. Don’t be afraid to tell me what’s really going on.

 

Love you too.

 

To be continued

 

 

Chapter 21: Day 30: You Can Do This, By Yourself

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last Set of messages you’re all absolutely wonderful.

Chapter Text

 

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Re: How is colony life?

 

Time sent: 3/20/2260 00:00:01

 

 

Hi Jim. I’m glad you found time to write in your busy schedule. Maybe that’s one of the advantages to being first officer. You know I don’t have favorites, but the fact that I’m not reprimanding you for giving me way too many details about your sex life probably gives you some indication about how I feel about you. It also makes me glad that’s Margarita’s problem. I’m happy that part of your relationship is healthy, I just don't want to know the details. I’m just kind of glad I don’t have to mediate anymore.

 

New Vulcan life is New Vulcan life. A few nonessentials like restaurants are starting to pop up, so that’s nice. It feels like I’m making a difference here so that’s good. However, the two-year anniversary of the battle of Vulcan is just weeks away. I know I’m going to get an uptake in patients in the next couple weeks, but that’s what happens with anniversaries. I hope you’re doing okay with the anniversary of Sam’s death. I know it’s soon.

 

I’m not surprised that you were assigned teenagers with special needs because you were a teenager with special needs and who knows them better than you. I think you might be the role model that they need. You’re scared, but I don’t think you really need my help that much. See below for recommendations of a few books for you to read. Mostly from the Idiots Guide to Life series. There is no one way to work with a traumatized teenager because everybody is different.

 

The most important thing you have to remember is to be there. Especially for Jo Jo because she is your goddaughter and you’re aware of how much her life has changed over the last nine months. That’s a lot for a kid to handle. And if she’s the well-adjusted one, I think I need to send you chocolate.

 

Of course, I’m telling you these things as your mother figure and not as a professional because I’m not there to assess in person. Really, you need to work with Margarita to come up with a plan on how to handle the situation. Mandatory counselor time may not be a bad thing but use a light touch if you decide to go this route, due to what some of your charges have gone through.

 

As for the tutor problem issue, I suggest getting a contractor. I think you need a teacher more than you need a Starfleet officer and outside contracts are allowed in some situations. Actually that’s how I ended up on your ship before. I’m not really Starfleet again, I just happen to have an excellent security clearance. I’m a contractor. It’s kind of why I ended up on new Vulcan.

 

So what’s going on with you beyond teenager shenanigans? How are you adjusting to your new position? What things do you like and what things do you not like about your new job? How is your relationship with Winona and Kevin now that you’re off planet?

Write me back when you have a chance.

xxxxxxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Re: How is colony life?

 

Time sent: 3/20/2260 19:07:31

 

I’m glad you had a chance to write back. I should’ve known you were going to say that. And yes, I’m meeting with Margarita to come up with a treatment strategy in a couple of days after she observes everyone in their natural habitat. We kind of have no choice but to intervene directly due to the fact that they drugged a teacher. Thankfully it was just laxatives and not something worse. Of course, that might be because we’re tracking drug usage on the ship, due to what was done to Nyota last year.

 

Things are good on ship and in life. You know, other than the husband who is afraid not to be on all the time because he is worried about the ship. Mom has yet to relapse, so that’s good, especially because as you know, we are approaching the anniversary. Kevin and I are emailing each other regularly. I’m planning to send mom a giant cookie basket for the Tarsus Memorial gathering that they’re having in a couple of days. Apparently Liz thought it would be interesting to get all the survivors together.

 

Even though it’s been a little under a month, I really do think I made the right decision to step back and do the things I missed by going straight to captain. There is a lot of things I didn’t see when I was too busy in the Captain’s chair. I missed the conspiracy to hurt Nyota as well as the conspiracy to make me a martyr so we would go to war with the Klingons. People died because I was too busy focusing on the important things to notice the trivial things like the new ship therapist was a traitor to the cause. Now I get to step back and do that. And I think that’s good.

 

Hey, at least this time I caught on to the fact that my people were getting drugged. Yes, it was laxatives this time instead of fertility drugs, but it is still kind of creepy. OK it’s creepy that they got caught and did it again. What the hell is wrong with these kids?

 

Was I this awful? I could have never been that awful even though I was acting out because my step father molested me. See I’m getting better. I can actually say it or rather type it. Aren’t you proud?

 

I realize that I must be a grown-up and can’t depend on you for everything, but I still would like to bounce ideas off you occasionally. Margarita’s a great doctor, but she doesn’t know me like you do. She’s not familiar with all of my baggage. She’s starting to get there. I’m opening a little, but I’m in a good place. So I’m not going into 50 minute rants about wicked step dad and trying to keep Winona’s drinking from Kevin. I’m worried that it’s all going to fall apart at some point, but I’m okay.

 

Carol just texted me and told me to go get my husband because he is interfering with her experiments. Has a Captain ever worn two hats before, such as functioning as their own science officer? That’s probably a question for Pike even if she is not technically my Admiral. Rodrigues is okay, but Pike is better.

 

Anyway, most of the science team are betting on how long Carol will last. Okay there is also betting on whether Spock will fire her, or she will resign. Should I be happy that I now know about the ship gambling and the fact that they’re not betting on my sex life? A few of our friends made a small fortune when Spock and I got together.

 

Anyway, I’m glad things are going well on New Vulcan. Maybe the second year anniversary will be better than the first. You know new babies being born in life going on.

 

I’ll take a look at the list you sent. I’ll look into the possibility of going with a contractor, if we can’t find someone suitable. Chris arranged you for me last time so I have to read up on how that works. Anyway, I hope to hear from you again soon.

 

To be continued

Chapter 22: Day 32: Making it okay

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all fabulous.

Sorry, I did not post the chapter last week. Due to inclement weather proofreading is a little behind, so I wanted to split the difference a little more evenly. Hopefully I’ll be able to upload the next chapter in about two weeks. Then we can go back on our normal once a week schedule.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

From: legal Queen of Atlanta

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Subject: How is everything going?

 

Since it’s been almost a month since I saw you off, I thought I would write. Thankfully, your stepmom sent me everybody’s new email address including yours. Your dad hit the jackpot there. I love my sister – loved my sister, but she wasn’t perfect. You have no idea how much I wish I would have stood up to her and got you out of there earlier. Or convinced her to go to rehab. I’m sorry that I let you down.

 

It doesn’t matter now. You can’t change the past. You’re somewhere better now and that’s what matters. What’s it like living on a starship? Did you make any new friends? I remember Nyota mentioning something about other kids being on the ship. Is there anyone close to your age? Anyway, I hope all is well. Write me when you get a chance.

 

Love, the good aunt.

xxxxx

From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

CC: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 3/22/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Re: So how are things going for you?

 

It’s OK to email us at the same time if you email us occasionally. Besides, now that we’re dating, we don’t keep a lot of secrets from each other. It’s just kind of the way it is. We also do everything together. She’s dragging me with her to a very Sulu family reunion because she doesn’t want to protect her sister and niece from the crazy family members alone. Being a Kirk, I’m well suited for that.

 

You’re doing the right thing eating with the adults. Stay away from your classmates except for the one that is not being a jerk. You can try being friends with him. I think he may need one. Please read newspaper hyperlink attached. You two have a lot more in common than you think.

 

I won’t tell your parents or my brother what’s going on with the mean girls or the jerk. I think you should tell your parents or my brother what’s going on. Jim already suspects an issue of some sort because he’s already looking for a new instructor since the old one already put in her notice. My girlfriend told me who heard it from her mom who heard it from Rodriguez that Enterprise is looking for someone to take over the teaching position on ship. Liz knows all the good gossips.

  

Both of us are here if you need someone to talk to. We both know a lot about bullies. Riverside was not exactly the best place if you were gifted and unlike Jim, I was in public school for a lot of it. High school was kind of god awful. Especially because Jim was on the other side of the country and couldn’t threaten to punch people out who were nasty to me like he did when I was in junior high. They made fun of my deceased parents and of the fact I was a foster kid. A few assholes said some nasty things about me not deserving the last name Kirk.

 

They were all kind of pricks, but I got through it. Of course, I got through it because I had Liz and she was the best friend ever. Despite the fact we weren’t even in the same state level on the same school. So, don’t limit your friendships to those who are physically with you. Liz and I are your friends and will always be just an email away. You may not always get a fast response from us, but we are always here if you need. We will be there for you.   

 

Don’t worry about the friends from Georgia. If they can’t bother to write to you then they’re not worth worrying about. Sometimes friendships only exist due to physical proximity. That’s not your fault. Besides, you are making new friends. And word of advice, friends don’t have to be the same ages as you. They can be older or they can be younger. Just make sure there are people that you can trust and won’t hurt you. I had way too many fake friends in high school. Liz will tell you we’re still putting up with that at the Academy because her mommy is the head of Starfleet and my brother saves the world a lot.

 

Your old classmates not wanting to be your friend anymore is not a Josephine problem that you have to deal with. The same with the other teenagers on the ship. It’s a problem they are having, and you shouldn’t feel bad because of it. Don’t let them hurt you.

    

The fencing is cool. I’ve always wanted to learn, but I grew up in a small town in the middle of Iowa that’s only genuine business was building Starfleet ships. Self-defense classes weren’t exactly an option outside of karate. Not even Brazilian jujitsu. Also, I was always more into computers then anything that required actual physical activity. Maybe that’s why I want to do the diplomatic track not that we really have a diplomatic track, but you know what I mean. OK this email is getting long, and I have exams to study for. I hate midterms, but it’s almost over. Anyway, write us back when you can.

 

PS: Send us a list of any snacks that you want. Liz is planning to send you another care package filled with snack contraband. She also wants to know if you want her to pick out a Mother’s Day present for Nyota. It’s early but depending on where you are, it may take that long to get something to you.

 

Xxxxxx

From: Kevin KR

To: SpockX-Kirk

Time arrived: 3/21/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Your ship has a bullying problem

So, unless Josephine has decided to come clean after reading my last letter (I doubt it), I’m the one who will have to confirm that the other members of the pilot program are being awful to her. I wish Josephine would come talk to her parents or Jim, but I doubt one letter from me is going to change that. She also made me promise not to tell her parents or Jim that four out of the five teenagers on board are treating her like absolute shit.

 

However, I did not promise to keep this from her ship’s captain. You know humans, we firmly believe in loophole abuse. Also, you share a brain with my brother, literally due to Vulcan marriage.

 

Since I know you were bullied by various stuck up Vulcan assholes, I think you have a pretty good idea about what’s going on and can sympathize with her in a way that others can. She told me specifically that they put laxatives in her food more than once which is why she’s not eating around them. There must be more than that going on that she’s not saying. Just keep an eye on the situation. I know you’re busy being a captain, but a captain’s first responsibility is to make sure everybody on their ship is OK and Josephine is on your ship.  

 

I also suggested that she keep being friends with the one not being a jerk, mostly because Liz told me who he really is. As well as to avoid everyone else.  How did you end up with a ship full of Ashleys? Who did you piss off to get that?

 

XXXX

“I just love the fact that you invited me to breakfast to let me know that my daughter is more comfortable talking to Jim’s baby brother then to me.” Nyota said as she passed the PADD back to Spock. They were currently eating breakfast in the captain’s private quarters, so they could have this conversation.

 

“It’s nothing personal. Teenagers tell their parents nothing and apparently, it’s been like that since the dawn of time. Don’t expect your child to be any different than you.” Jim explained as he passed a bagel to Nyota.

 

“I believe we were only like that because we had such crappy parents.” Nyota responded, after grabbing the bagel.

 

“I’m 99% positive that Cuddle Vulcan didn’t say anything about his bullying either and his family was perfectly normal. It’s the way of the teenager or preteen in this case. Why do you think I asked Kevin to help? It was either this or break into her room and read her therapy journals.”

 

“Leonard threatened to withhold sex if I did something like that.” Nyota complained.

 

“So that’s what it takes to get you to respect other people’s privacy?” Jim remarked.

 

“Your banter will not provide an adequate solution to the problem at hand.”

 

“But it makes me feel better.” Nyota smiled at her friends, sadly. “I’m just worried. We had two students at my boarding school kill themselves because of bullying. I’m just concerned, especially after Marc. I thought he was dealing with everything until I found his body.”

 

“I know. I’m also worried about the other five kids. Things are messed up.”

 

“I think I should talk to Josephine while James deals with the five other minors on board.”

 

“I’m all for dividing and conquering, but shouldn’t we include Nyota to appease her? The odds are better that way.”

 

“As you stated earlier, adolescents are not inclined to share their thoughts and feelings with their parental units. Therefore, Nyota is unable to participate at this venture.” Nyota responded with a glare.

 

“Point, but we can still do three each. You do the Jays and I do the Ashleys. Although maybe Nyota can be with me when I talked to Ashley 2 because all men are assholes.”

 

“I’m not sure if I can be there. I may be tempted to punch her.”

 

“And that’s why we can’t have you help. I’ll get Margarita.”

 

“Maybe you should bring someone with you that’s not a therapist.” Nyota suggested.

 

“I will ask Rebecca to help. She understands because she had her own uncle Frank. We could do a support group.” Spock is certain Jim was only half joking.

 

“I would be willing to work with Jay, although I think his experiences are closer to yours, and you would be more well-suited.” Spock suggested.

 

“And like all three Ashleys, you lost a parent during the battle of Vulcan.”

 

“Which I’m still trying to process, especially with the anniversary forthcoming.” Spock answered.

 

“Okay, what about Jeremy?” Nyota asked before Spock could.

 

“I may be tempted to utilize a nerve pinch which would be unbecoming of a captain.” Spock responded.

 

“Fine, you have Jo Jo, I have the kids and all of them will be scrubbing the deck with toothbrushes. Does this work?”

 

“Yes.” The other two said in unison.

 

“Good, you can email my brother and remind him again not to get Liz pregnant. Otherwise we will end up with a ship full of Ashleys. I can’t deal with that many fake plastic people. I just can’t.” James told him as Nyota snickered in the background.

 

“I will this evening,” Spock answers his husband before placing a gentle kiss on his lips. He tasted like strawberry jam.

Xxxx

From: SpockX-Kirk

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 3/21/2260 21:54:01

Subject: Re: Your ship has a bullying problem

 

I personally did not piss off anyone that I’m aware of. However, James is convinced that he is being punished for you engaging in a sexual relationship with Admiral Chen’s daughter. He would like me to take this moment to remind you of the importance of using contraceptives whenever engaging in sexual congress with Cadet Chen. Although James loves small children, young Miss Sulu is enough presently.

 

The fact that we have three minor members with the same first name of Ashley is purely coincidental. It was the number one baby name on Earth from 2240 until 2245. All three young women lost a parent during the battle of Vulcan and bonded over their mutual loss. Since we are approaching the two-year anniversary of the incident, I hypothesize they may be acting out in response or this is their normal level of behavior and it will only increase as we get closer to the anniversary. I do not favor either option.

 

James and I have discussed the matter and we have decided on appropriate disciplinary actions. Scrubbing the decks of engineering with a toothbrush is the current punishment of choice.

 

I am also planning to talk with Josephine directly. Either James or myself will notify you if there is any progress.

 

To be continued.

Notes:

Since this series is ridiculously long, I just want to remind everybody that Marc was Nyota’s childhood friend who committed suicide when they were at the Academy together. Also, a reminder that Rebecca is Carol’s wife in this continuity.

Chapter 23: Day 34: Human Preteens Are Illogical

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all wonderful. I’m sorry for the lag between updates, but weekly updates will resume, now that I have several chapters back from proofreading.

Warning: Discussion of a past suicide attempt.

Chapter Text

Dear James:

 

Yesterday after Alpha shift I attempted to converse with Josephine per our breakfast discussion with Nyota, but I was unsuccessful. She refused to disclose any information related to her treatment by the other minors on board Enterprise. She said that she was not encountering any difficulties with her classmates despite only making eye contact with her dinner tray. Obviously, this is an untruth due to the fact she ran an allergy detecting tricorder over her tray before eating.

 

 n addition, her PADD was missing again. Ensign Margolis found it on level six inside of a recycling bin. This is the third time that has happened in the last 19 days.

 

I am uncertain how I can convince her that I am a trustworthy source to confide in and that I will take her issues seriously. She has confided in both of us in the past regarding her mother’s death. And yet now when it is obvious that someone is hurting her, she refuses to speak. I find this situation troubling, especially because the inappropriate conduct is happening on ship and scrubbing decks six and seven with a toothbrush is apparently not enough of a deterrent to stop such inappropriate conduct.

 

xxxxx

Dear Spock:

 

That’s because apparently Jeremy is a masochist. I think maybe one or two of the Ashleys are smart enough to realize that we are not going to put up with their bullshit.

 

It’s nothing personal, Spock, it’s just preteen behavior. Did you ever tell your dad that your school days were miserable because you were constantly criticized and ridiculed for being multi species? Did you mention to him about your classmates referring to your mom as a whore, slut, prostitute, bitch or any other slur for a woman who’s powerful, but scares the crap out of them?

 

What about that time they locked you in your learning pod and you missed lunch. Oh, wait they did that every day for what three months? You started bringing protein bars with you, so you wouldn’t miss out on crucial nutrition. You’re lucky that Vulcans only need to pee like once every eight hours. You, my lovely husband, never said a word about what was going on and you know it. So, don’t expect Jo Jo to be different. Your parents had no clue until you broke someone’s nose.

 

Why was that? Was it because you were afraid that they wouldn’t be able to do anything? Were you afraid of being disappointed in their inability to fix things? Were you afraid that they would be so apathetic that they wouldn’t care? Or did you think that your father felt the same way they did?

 

The teenage mind is a scary place and the preteen mind is worse. You know all these types of thoughts are going through her head right now. Look, you’re out of the shower, talk more later.

 

Love you, sweetie bear.

Xxxxx

 

Dear James:

Yes, I was afraid of my father‘s reaction because I assumed it would be on par with that of my peers. I was not even sure of his love of my mother until after her passing. I felt like my entire existence was a side product of political diplomacy. I am aware now that is not the case, but at the time that is what I believed.

 

I did not share what was happening at school with my parents because I did not believe that they needed to know. I did not want to burden them with these issues when I believed I could handle it without adult assistance. As an adult, I realize that my logic was faulty, but I do not know how to convey that to Josephine. I am open to suggestions.

 

Xxx

Dear Spock Bear:

 

Oh, your logic was very faulty. I’m so glad to know you were a stupid teenager like the rest of us. I think we had this conversation over breakfast a couple of days ago when we showed Nyota the email from Kevin. Your teenage mind convinces you that your parents can’t help so you don’t say anything, but because you don’t say anything they can’t help you.

 

It’s dumb, but that’s what we believe at the time. Remember I kept quiet for years about… about what Frank did to me. The bastard convinced me that no one would believe me. And even if they did they couldn’t do anything to stop him. I tried to kill myself before I told somebody the truth.

 

So how do we avoid the kids getting to this breaking point? I think it’s letting them know that there is someone there. Margarita suggested that I write the kids an email not as the first officer of their ship, but as a survivor of the Starfleet orphans’ club. I am considering it because if Jo Jo’s PADD went missing again then as you stated this morning obviously scrubbing the decks isn’t working as effectively as it should. Maybe you could write Jo Jo not as the captain of the ship that she’s living on, but as a friend of her mom, as somebody who has survived bullies and has successfully come out on the other side of it.

 

From what you told me and from what I’ve observed of certain assholes at our diplomatic wedding, they were awful to you. I mean people were nasty to me because I was smart, but I was at smart kids’ school until I had to pick up the slack with Kevin. I mean, I helped with Kevin's bullies, but I feel that I was seeing the situation from the eyes of a parent. Raising Kevin kind of adjusted my view of the world. And let’s be honest, I really did raise Kevin.

 

Oh God, I think that’s another reason why they gave us these kids. I have parental experience with emotionally damaged children.

Xxxxx

 

Dear James:

 

Kevin is a productive member of society and a top cadet at the Academy, so obviously, you know what you’re doing. I think your idea has merit and I’m willing to try something similar along the lines. I think you should do the same with the minors.  However, I reserve the right to review the document before it is sent out.

Xxxx

 

Dear Cuddle Husband:

Totally agree. But I get to read yours first because that’s what first officer’s do. You know when I’m not trying to find us a new assistant. Would it be totally confusing if I hire a Kevin?

Xxx

 

Dear James:

You cannot discriminate against any capable candidate simply because they share a name with your brother, either brother. However, I do acquiesce to your request to proofread my correspondence to Josephine.

Xxxxx

 

Dear Spock Bear:

Fine, other Kevin will make it to the next round of possible candidates along with his wife.

 

Dammit, I should have offered you a blowjob.           

                      To be continued

Chapter 24: Day 35: You should probably proofread this

Summary:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last set of diary entries. All of you are great.

We are spending more time with Jim and Spock. Jim and Spock are just the cutest. They’re also in transit to a star mapping assignment so more diary time.

Chapter Text

Hey, my Sunshine Vulcan:

Please check out my first draft. I did it in hard copy because well, I’m paranoid and thanks to something Pike said, I know that Admiral Chen is reading some of our private correspondence. It could just be the emails of the guy who got her daughter pregnant, but again I’m paranoid. Read below and tell me what you think.
------

Dear teenagers of Enterprise:

It’s time for us to have a conversation about your behavior on board this vessel. Really? Stealing liquor from engineering again? That’s so cliché, especially because you keep getting caught. More importantly, it’s time for us to talk about why you’re behaving this way. I don’t think it’s because you’re all spoiled brats. And let me tell you kiddies, alcohol doesn’t dull the pain that much. It’s a temporary Band-Aid at best.

I’m not writing you as your ship’s first officer, the guy who will have to sign off on the performance review of many of your parents, or even the guy married to your parents’ big boss. I am writing to you as a survivor of the Starfleet orphans club. I know at least four of you are members of that club with me. I would get us T-shirts, but that don’t really help.

I’m sure you’re all aware that my dad died about three minutes after I was born. What you’re not aware of is that my Starfleet mom went right back in the space and I got left behind with the evil step dad. If you want to know how evil, search “child molester found hanging in his prison cell with his genitals cut off in Iowa”. So don’t assume I’m just another adult that doesn’t know what you’re going through because I went through a lot and here I am on the other side as your co-captain.

This also means that I understand why a lot of you are being brats right now. You don’t want to be here. You’re angry that life is the way it is and maybe you’re upset that your mom or dad chose Starfleet over a normal life and dragged you here. Maybe you blame the fleet for some of the bad things that have happened in your life. I know that growing up I did and somehow, I still managed to find my way to the command gold. Despite that, or maybe because of it.

So, if you think that being a brat will get you back to your planet of origin with the perfect family life that you used to have, let me tell you from experience that that’s not going to happen. The life that you had before, you’re never going to have that back because it doesn’t exist anymore. There’s no going back after what you’ve been through. There’s an Earth saying, “you can’t stop the wave, but you can learn to surf.” Kids, it’s time to get out your paddle boards.

Throwing a tantrum isn’t going to bring your old life back. I should know, I drove my father’s vintage convertible into a ravine. Lots of bad life choices made all around on that one. I got smart kid boarding school. My other friend got regular boarding school and our parents went right back into the sky without us.

So sorry, the fleet is trying this new thing where teenagers like yourself get to go with their parents into space. If things go well, this might become a normal thing. Things right now are not exactly going well. Again, I know what’s going on. Why do you think you’re spending so much quality time scrubbing the decks with toothbrushes? I’m not an idiot. Contrary to what you’ve heard, I didn’t get through the Academy in three years on my back, unless you count all those times I got knocked back onto it during combat training.

So this is the deal, you guys will try to act like semi behaved young adults and I will treat you that way. Otherwise you’re going to be scrubbing the decks with toothbrushes for at least the next year, along with whatever crazy punishment I can come up with. At the same time my door is open to all of you. I’m not a parent or our ship counselor, Margarita, but I am someone who understands a lot more of what you’re going through then many others on the ship. It probably helps that I still remember my teenage years and again a lot of bad decisions made all around. Just don’t think that no one cares about you because that's a lie. It might not seem that way at first, but we’re here for all of you. You just need to reach out.

PS: Seriously, stop raiding the liquor in engineering. If you’re going to indulge in underage drinking, please avoid liquor that may cause blindness or kill you due to the potency.

Xxxxx

Dear James:
I am uncertain if you should encourage the teenagers to research any parts of your history, especially one that you’re just starting to come to terms with and willing to discuss publicly. But overall, I find your letter acceptable. I have attempted to draft an email to Josephine and yet, have been unsuccessful. I would like your guidance on the matter.
xxxxx
Dear Cuddle Vulcan:

I know. I saw the pile of rejects in the recycling bin. It’s understandable you’re having trouble. How do you really start that conversation? The other kids don’t know me so I could be my normal abrasive self. For you, it’s different with her. You’re her other mom’s best friend and you did tutor her in Vulcan for most of our Earth time.

Hey, I just had a brilliant idea, why don’t you offer to take back over the Vulcan lessons. She’ll like that and hey it would at least keep her under adult supervision another hour a week. I mean you don’t have to do it all the time, but I could totally sacrifice some of my sexy husband make out time if it cuts down on my dealing with teenagers that I want to strangle time. I mean, the more they behave, the less likely we’ll be called out during the night for things like sneaking into engineering to get booze. The last time that happened, my pants were unzipped and the lube was already out.
Xxxx
Dear James:

That incident was just last night. I agree your suggestion has merit. I do have time in my schedule for at least an hour of lessons, especially if it would create less work for you in other areas. However, may I suggest that you offer some other activities to keep the other four teenagers from engaging and distractive behavior. I could consider it part of your duty hours.
Xxxxx

Dear Spock Muffin:

OK, good idea. Great idea, because eventually we’re going to run out of decks for them to scrub with toothbrushes and I’m still mad that they cut into our sex time. I’ve had such a tough time convincing you that the soundproofing is completely functional, and our next-door neighbor can no longer hear me blowing your brains out.

I assume that it’s a hard no on teaching them computer programming? What about combat? I feel like instances of bratty behavior would go down if they actually got to hit something. Maybe if they could get their anger out physically, they will stop focusing it on Jo Jo and trying to get a hold of the Everclear that they’re trying to brew in engineering.

I’m this close to letting botany grow pot. Besides, I’m sure you could use fresh headache medication if they keep up this stupidity. You can’t do brownies, but maybe cheese crackers or cannabis tea. I’ll download a copy of the cannabis cookbook.

Xxxx
Dear James:
I was thinking 21st century movie night or maybe a chess club. I would prefer that you not pass on any skill that may be considered a felony or that can be used to commit a felony.

You are correct. I could benefit from a fresh supply of headache medication. Therefore, I will authorize the cultivation of several strands of cannabis that are traditionally used in Vulcan medicine and meditation teas.
Xxx
Dear Sugar Vulcan:

There’s so many skills I possess that could be utilized in the commission of a felony, such as horticulture apparently. But no Enterprise Junior hackers club or gardening club for that matter. Earth movie night it is because I’m still not quite a chess expert and I could never get away with doing a checkers club. They would find that so lame. Also we want to offer something that they might actually do as opposed to being juvenile delinquents

We can probably go through the whole MCU series. The first run. Just the movies, not the TV shows. Otherwise we’ll be busy for all five years. Actually that may be a good idea. You’re so right, under-stimulated smart kids are dangerous. I should’ve remembered that from my boarding school days. I think I told you about the time the elevator ended up filled with glass. I’ll send the email out soon.
XXXXX

From: SpockX-Kirk
To: kitten_loverJJMU
BCC: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time sent: 3/25/2260 17:53:11

Subject: Would you like to continue your Vulcan lessons?
Because James is planning to start a new movie club to increase crew morale, I have additional time in my schedule. Would you be interested in me continuing your Vulcan lessons? I am well aware that your mother is quite skilled in the language, but there are certain nuances that you can only pick up from a native speaker.
I also found our time together last fall simulating and wish to continue.
Xxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: SpockX-Kirk
Time sent: 3/25/2260 18:33:11
Subject: Re: Would you like to continue your Vulcan lessons?

I saw that Uncle Jim is starting a movie club as a reward for the other teenagers not acting awful.

I really would like to start the Vulcan lessons again but we’re going to have to schedule around my fencing lessons. I am really liking those. I think I may be able to outrun Jeremy by May.

To be continued

Chapter 25: Day 37: Sulu Family Values

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You’re all beautiful. Your comments keep me writing.

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan
To: SuluHG2260
Time arrived: 3/27/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’m pretty sure your family now hates me

What did I do to deserve quality time with your crazy family? Did I mention it was raining so I couldn’t go hide in the gardens when it all became too much? If I hadn’t brought Liz, it would’ve been awful. Okay, it was still awful, but it would’ve been categorically awful instead of just unpleasantly awful. Liz is good at running interference. Ben is fabulous, but just doesn’t have Liz's skills in that area.

Everybody was talking about how we conceived our daughter, everyone including your mom and the grandpas. I don’t even know how they know, but they all knew. The real story. Not the cute story that we’re planning to tell our daughter about us deciding to co-parent together because we decided that we wanted to have a family and we were sure we would never find anybody. But rather the embarrassingly true version about the kinky three-way on Risa complete with boyfriend who couldn’t tell the difference between contraceptive lube and fertility lube. Why did I ever sleep with him? I mean was the ship that devoid of good people? (I kind of think I really invited you there to teach him how to get someone off). I am never making that mistake again. I’m getting a pleasure seeker 9000 from the red-light district and letting it go.

Oh, by the way I am supposed to tell you not to include classified-ish information in your emails to your boyfriend. The disaster that was your last mission regarding the coup d’état has just been made public now that you’re on your way to your next mission which is probably something innocuous like star mapping. Oh, and it’s the really sanitized for public consumption clean version so I know something bad went down even though you told me nothing but told your boyfriend way too much. Thankfully you have a boyfriend that knows not to say things that are classified. Doctors are great at keeping things confidential, so excellent choice in boyfriends.

Oh, your aunts loved your boyfriend. They just simply adore him and think he is the greatest man on Earth if not the entire Federation. Unfortunately, they see me as a whore who apparently sleeps with gay man because she thinks she can turn them straight. They said that right in front of me unaware that I understand pre-warp Japanese. Seriously, what is wrong with them? Do they not realize that bisexuals are a thing or whatever you frame your sexual orientation as? I know I can’t be the only female you’ve ever had sex with. I’ve been there having to be someone else right? You’re more skilled than my ex.

OK I have attached pictures of your baby being cute and adorable and causing all sorts of trouble. I had to change her outfit three times. You should write her a letter about your day or has it been so boring that you just have nothing to write about. I guess that’s better than you asking her about who she wants to live with. Although, if was that boring you probably should write more. I don’t think you’re in the letters show up like once a month section of the galaxy yet.

Although I’m sure it’s coming. It’s going to be worse when I go back. The teaching has been fun. Well it’s been useful, and I don’t how my friend Gina can take being a junior high teacher. Freshman cadets are awful enough. I couldn’t handle preteens and teenagers. Well, teenager teenagers, not almost adult teenagers. Why do we let 17-year-olds join Starfleet?

Anyway, write me back.

Xxxx
From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Next time I go to the family reunion you’re coming with me

Time arrived: 3/15/2260 00:00:01
I did decide to go to your family reunion because I like Sue and I couldn’t leave her alone. Her sister and her boyfriend could only do so much to defuse the situation. It seemed only fair especially because she went with me to brunch the day before to tell my husband’s family that I am going to use Starfleet daycare instead from now on and they won’t get to see their granddaughter every day. There is a lot of Mandarin cursing involved that Sue had to translate for me since I only know a little Cantonese.
I shouldn’t be surprised by the reaction. They despise Starfleet. They get angry when you even say the word because they blame the organization for what happened to their only child. Obviously, that went worse than your family reunion, but only marginally because nobody started crying. OK nobody started crying over the age of two. The kids managed to throw a tantrum, a joint tantrum at that.

In addition, I got asked multiple times by your mom about our poly relationship with Sue. I choked on my beer when she asked that. Your aunt also asked the same thing. And one of your sisters as well. The one that’s already planning our wedding. Although in her case, I think she only asked for wedding planning purposes. Your family is weird. Thankfully, the food was good. Ridiculously good and your dad sent me home with leftovers.

Which is another thing that made it better than the encounter with my in-laws – former in-laws. I don’t know what to call them sometimes. The person who originally tied us together is gone, but I’m raising their granddaughter and they’re still in my life. I can’t believe it’s going to be two years in a couple weeks.
Sometimes it feels like it’s still just happened. You know I didn’t even take my wedding ring off until the week I met you? He still my husband in my heart. I love you. You know I do. I so would not have put up with a very Sulu family reunion without you even being there if I did not love you, but Zack took a little bit of my heart when he died. You’re helping me get through it.
Anyway, be safe out there.

Love you

Xxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Mommy_Susan
Time arrived: 3/27/2260 6:35:01
Subject Re: I’m pretty sure your family now hates me

I don’t think my family hates you because I have yet to receive an email from the family, but usually they show their disdain by not sending me care packages.
Also, if your mom read my letter to my boyfriend than I’m really worried about her reading this letter mostly because she may kill me for some of the things you wrote. It just kind of slipped. I’ll be more careful I really should know better. Good to know it was redacted.

Of course, because she’s probably reading this. There’s no way in hell I’m going to tell you if I had sex with anyone else of your gender. You’ll just have to wait until June to find out the answer. Your mom scares me.

Things are good aboard Enterprise. We are starting on our next assignment which is star mapping. So, lots of flying around for me and very little botany time for me outside of working on Jim’s “Vulcan homeopathic medicine” project. Which is sad because the rest of the team is still trying to figure out why things got so bad on that planet that there was a coup d’état without me. I was really looking forward to that. But my skills are needed elsewhere right now. Maybe we’ll get to explore some of the planets.

In other news, I am teaching a teenage fencing class or at least it seems that way. I now have three that I’m instructing; J, Josephine and Ashley 2. I think Ashley 2 and Josephine might hurt each other but it’s only been one session with all three of them, so we’ll have to see how things are in May or June. I may have to ask you to send up some of my equipment because the replicated stuff just isn’t the same. You have the hook up.

Tell Desi that I love her and she’s just the cutest little cuddle baby. I can’t believe she dove headfirst into a pie at the reunion. Let’s be glad that my family gathering happens during early spring and is indoors, otherwise she would’ve been covered in mud. (Sorry it was raining so you couldn’t hide outside in the garden.) Imagine how much trouble she would have got into outside and she’s not even walking yet. Has she graduated to crawling?

I’m sorry I should’ve warned you that one of my second cousins is at Starfleet Academy and I’m pretty sure she lives in the same building as your sister. I’m not sure because I can kind of tune out everything that cousin says to me. She’s always bragging about her wonderful children (that she had when she was barely 18) and making snide comments about how I was probably going to die without children due to the gay thing (despite the gay grandparents). I bet she didn’t see Demora coming.

I’m kind of sad I wasn’t there because I would have love to see all their shocked faces over that. I really wanted to be smug about that in person. Oh well it is what it is. Be safe and don’t strangle the freshman. Maybe you can ask your friend for some teaching tips. Ask her for some ideas for me since I’ll be teaching emotionally stunted teenagers how to fence.

Miss you both. Give baby girl a giant hug for me.
Xxxxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject Re: Next time I go to the family reunion you’re coming with me

Time arrived: 3/15/2260 07:07:41

I am sorry you had to put up with my family. I guess they were on their best behavior at Christmas because I was there. Thank you for being there for Sue since things got so crazy. I forgot that one of my cousins lives in the same building as Liz and knows all the Starfleet gossip. I really did not need that many family members to know about anything that happens on shore leave.

I’m sorry that Zack ‘s family was kind of awful. You probably shouldn’t mention who you’re now dating. Most people know me as the idiot who didn’t think to split the charges among the three of us, so we could’ve blown the drill up instead of… What happened. I can’t believe it’s almost been two years either. Time just goes by quickly now that I have a 9-month-old.

I must apologize for my family again. With my sister, it probably was for wedding planning which is why I always promised myself I would elope if I ever found somebody I want to spend the rest of my life with. Although that was before I saw what she could do with an elopement. She really can do a 24-hour wedding and it was amazing. My mom and my aunts were just being my mom and my aunt’s. They just love gossiping. Hey, but at least you don’t have to put up with grandma and the grandpas are respectful, usually. The cousins not so much. But at least the food was good, which makes me sad because I’ve eaten all my snacks and now it’s just rec go cater food till June.

Starfleet life is good. I received another reminder to be careful how much I tell you. It’s not that I don’t trust you. It’s that I am afraid of my daughter‘s grandmother. Like terrified. Sue’s ex-boyfriend is on Delta Vega; Delta Vega, land of ice in darkness and scary creatures that will eat you in a heartbeat. I don’t want to go to Delta Vega.

I’m glad I’m helping you with your Zack related issues. I know you must have a lot losing him the way that you did. And I know part of you will always love him and that’s okay. You can love more than one person. Especially you because your heart is just that big.

Anyway, love you. I will write again soon. And again, sorry about my family. I’m pretty sure you can avoid everybody until probably Thanksgiving now. Possibly Christmas, if you’re lucky.
To be continued.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 26: Day 39: Maybe It Does Get Better

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely great. More diary entries from Josephine. I ended up going back and adding this conversation after writing a few of the days that took place afterwards because I felt like something was missing. It’s shorter than what I’ve been posting lately, but important.

Chapter Text

 

 

Dear Diary:

Ashley 2 talked to me today. Not yelled at me or said nasty things to me to make herself look better in front of her fake friends (it’s obvious they are fake), but an actual conversation. Granted she asked me about Uncle Jim and if she could trust him, but I still count that as a conversation. I assured her that most of the rumors about Uncle Jim were not true and yes, she can trust him. He and Uncle Spock are good uncles who actually care about me. They are definitely better than my actual aunt who waited a month to write to me. I’m in the middle of nowhere, she should make the first move. Then again, it wasn’t like she really checked in before.

I’ve discovered that members of the crew are almost as bad as the Ashleys when it comes to gossip, which is why there are so many rumors floating around about my own goals. Apparently, I’m invisible because they have no trouble talking about my family when I’m in earshot, which is why I know all the ridiculous stuff they’re saying. I really didn’t want to know that my dad got my mommy Nyota pregnant because she was drugged with fertility medication against her will.

Of course most of the mean things they are saying are about Uncle Jim and I know none of it’s true. Allegedly, he lost his captaincy, because he’s a closet alcoholic. I know closet alcoholics, I was raised by one. Uncle Jim is not a closet alcoholic. I haven’t seen him drink anything since I started living with dad. They didn’t even do spiked eggnog at Christmas, which Mister Scott complained about. Come to think of it, dad doesn’t drink anymore either.

Also Uncle Jim is not the ship slut, and neither is my mom. Mommy Nyota loves dad and I think the only reason why they’re not married is because I think she’s afraid she doesn’t want to say that out loud. Of course this isn’t the first time I have heard mom Nyota referred to as a slut. Other mom told her that word a lot before she crashed into a tree because she loves alcohol more than me.

Also, no way uncle Jim had a three way with the “Kitty cat twins” when he was already kind of married to Uncle Spock by that point. They definitely love each other, so I don’t think uncle Jim would be with someone else.

Mister Sulu backed me up on that since he overheard Ashley 2 tell me about that rumor. He told us both that it was rude to repeat rumors that were probably untrue. Of course after that Ashley 2 said something to him in Japanese that I didn’t understand. That’s when he started blushing a lot and then told her that whatever he does in his personal life is his business as long as everybody consents to what’s going on. Of course after that conversation, Ashley kind of accidentally broke a practice dummy. I feel like there’s a story there.

In addition to spending time with Mister Sulu, I’m getting to spend time with Uncle Spock because we are doing Vulcan lessons again. I like spending time with him. Especially because it’s one-on-one. Unlike the fencing lessons which have become a small class. Although Jay is not ignoring me, even though Ashley 2 is in our class, so I guess that’s progress.

Kevin wrote back a couple of days ago which is nice. Margarita says I need to write back at the very least, to be polite, but I want to wait a couple of days to see if he told mom and Jim what I told him. I don’t think he did, even if I’m sure Spock knows.

Spock is the Captain, of course he’s going to figure it out. Kevin and Spock really don’t like each other that much or at least mom thinks that Kevin doesn’t like Spock very much. Apparently something happened at the wedding. It wouldn’t surprise me if Uncle Spock knew, though, because Vulcan kids are really cruel, so he probably knows all the signs.

The other reason why I want to wait a little while before I talk to Kevin again is maybe I’m hoping that things will get better and I want to be able to report some good news. I mean my PADD hasn’t turned up missing since the announcement of movie night so I’m hopeful. Of course I’m used to being disappointed. So why should now be any different.

Speaking of disappointments, I mentioned before that my aunt finally wrote to check in after a month of nothing. I’m not surprised. That’s what she always does. Now she feels guilty about not doing anything before when other mom was alive and drinking. What good is guilt now? She knew and didn’t do anything. She knew and she didn’t try to stop her sister from drinking herself into a tree? She knew how I was being treated and she didn’t get me out of the house. She knew and didn’t tell dad or his lawyers. So why should she act like she cares now? Because it’s obvious she doesn’t.

Dr. Margarita keeps telling me that I’m a kid and it wasn’t my responsibility to stop my mom’s drinking. She was an adult. She could have done something. If not, about the drinking than about how I was being treated. In therapy, I’m learning that what was happening back then wasn’t okay. She said she didn’t know it was that bad. Really? You didn’t know? Did you not see the same fridge full of special punch that I did? Did you not see the recycling bin full of bottles? Did you not know that I was only allowed to talk to my dad once a year under court supervision before he got better lawyers?

I don’t want to talk to her right now or at all. I’m sure I will eventually, but not yet.

To be continued.

Chapter 27: Day 41: Thank you for the cookies

Notes:

 Thank you to everyone who read or review the last conversation. You are all wonderful.

 

 

Chapter Text

 

From: Legal Queen of Atlanta

To: LeonardUM

Subject: How is life in space going?

Time arrived: 3/31/2260 00:00:01

Dear former brother-in-law:

 

How are you doing in the darkness of space? There’s been a couple of news reports about Enterprise activities that have made the interplanetary news, but nothing scary at least from my perspective. I mean, what can be exciting about getting another planet to sign a resource sharing agreement. Those type of contract negotiations are never exciting. I doubt that being in a different solar system would change that

 

How is Baby Jo? I wrote her about a week ago and I haven’t heard anything back yet. Of course, maybe you guys are so far out at this point that it takes weeks for mail to show up. That would not surprise me. I’m not sure where you guys are right now because, it’s not like they tell the civilians anything exciting. Is there actually anything you can tell me about what you’re doing? What’s it like being a doctor in space? Is it different from being on earth?

 

How is Jocelyn? Sorry, Josephine. I’m still not entirely used to the name change. I get why she did it. One less reminder of her mom, but it’s still weird.

 

 Anyway, take loving care of my baby niece and write me when you have a chance.

 

PS: Is there an easier way to send the care package then going through the Starfleet family liaison’s office? If I send something now through them, you may not get it until probably August. Let me know if you know somebody with a hook up.  

 

Xxxx

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

 

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

Subject: thank you for your gift

 

Time arrived: 3/31/2260 00:00:01

Thank you for the cookie bouquet you sent. It was lovely. I think I ended up putting half of them in the freezer and the other half were enjoyed at the remembrance dinner. Did you know that there are 40 different Tarsus survivors in the San Francisco Metro? That was more than I thought there would be. Although we did lose Kathleen a couple months ago. Suicide. It happens a lot among the survivors.  

 

The whole thing was emotional, especially when we read the names and lit candles for our family members that didn’t make it off the planet. I cried a lot. Everyone did. I also got a lot of hugs from the kids.

 

Although most are out of high school now, so I guess I can’t really call them kids anymore. They call me their savior, but that’s not right. How can I be anybody’s savior when I didn’t save my baby?

 

You have no idea how badly I wanted a drink, but thankfully my future daughter-in-law decided this was going to be a dry party. So again, thanks for the cookies because they were my only option. If you can’t drink, stress eat. I think I must start using the treadmill otherwise I’m going to be humongous by the time you get back to Earth.

 

You better get back by the way. I’m not dealing with another cryptic I’m about to die email from you that only contains song lyrics. Please do not put me through that again.     

 

Anyway, love you.

 

Xxx

From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

CC: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 3/31/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: So, are the brats being less evil now?

 

I heard from my brother-in-law that the junior brats are getting really acquainted with ancient toothbrushes. That email showed up yesterday and considering it took like a week to get here, I assume that’s why I haven’t heard from you yet. Please tell me you somehow managed to get pictures. I need pictures.

 

I’m not surprised that my brother-in-law is doing this. I kind of think that Spock is getting revenge for all the assholes who treated him like crap growing up for being multi species or whatever they came up with to justify their hatred. Really can’t blame him for wanting to get a little revenge. My brother-in-law has issues, but he is head over feet in love with my brother, so I’m going to let it go.

 

So, how are you? Done anything fun yet? Please write me soon, but please come up with some revenge pranks? Because seriously, you deserve some revenge, especially if they’re still being awful to you. April Fools’ Day is coming up soon. (I know it possibly may have already passed by the time you get this letter because who knows where the ship is right now). I promise I won’t tell my brother.

 

So sorry I didn’t write earlier. Midterms are almost over, but then we had the Tarsus survivors club meeting. It was good to get back together with some of the kids. There are two others at Starfleet and one at UF Berkeley. Also, another one studying at the Culinary Institute of The Federation at San Francisco. Good to see that others are moving on and being productive with their lives. It makes me happy to see so many of us are doing well after the disaster that was Tarsus.

 

Everything public about what happened is just a part of what the place was really like. Not that I’m really allowed to tell you what happened because my brother-in-law’s security clearance isn’t even high enough for that. But you already know that I lost my biological family on that planet, so you have an idea of how bad it really could be. These couple weeks are always awful, but oddly enough it’s easier this year with a sober mom, Liz and baby D.

 

We may have brought her with us because babies are cuddly and we all could use a cuddle. I had to go to a very Sulu family reunion because my girlfriend couldn’t allow her sister to deal with that alone. Great food, much better than a very Tarsus gathering, but that family makes me glad that most of the extended Kirks stopped talking to Winona after George died and those that did not stopped after the Frank fiasco was made public. Let’s just put it this way, Liz and Sue preferred the Tarsus reunion to Sulu family chaos. That says terrible things.

 

OK this letter got really depressing so I leave you with pictures of my girlfriend’s niece trying to eat pie. She’s not supposed to, but she’s fast for someone just learning to crawl.

 

Xxxx

 

From: LeonardUM

To:  Legal Queen of Atlanta

Subject: Re: How is life in space going?

Time arrived: 3/31/2260 05:54:51

 

Sorry, we are getting far enough out that it may be days or even weeks between messages. We are going deeper into space than we were last time, probably because they didn’t want to take the leash off Jimmy. They’re a little more comfortable with Mr. and Mr. Spock-Kirk in charge. We really do have two captains. Thank God they share a brain. Otherwise we would be fucked.

 

Things are good other than the fact that too many idiots forgot to get their Starfleet flu vaccine before the start of the mission. Goddamn idiots, all of them. If it wasn’t for my girlfriend and my desire to keep Jimmy alive for as long as possible, I really would’ve taken a desk job. The kid would literally die without me around, literally. Jimmy has the self-preservation skills of a slug living in a salt factory. He once almost died due to ice cream. It is a small miracle he hasn’t turned up in Sickbay yet.

 

Other than that, both Nyota and I are doing well. At least our departments are filled with competent people. The hobgoblin did an excellent job last time, but I think Jim might just be a little bit better. I think Jo Jo is starting to settle in. I saw her talking to Ashley Alexis so I’m almost hopeful.      

 

I’ll try to remind Josephine to email you. She’s had a rough couple of weeks adjusting because somebody decided that Jimmy was the best candidate to babysit the worst of the worst of Starfleet brats. Thankfully they were right, and he knows what he’s doing. The new activities are keeping them docile and they’re no longer trying to steal drugs from lock up or alcohol from my secret stash, so that’s an improvement.

 

How are things in Georgia? Is your father still a dreadful, horrible man, bless his shriveled cold heart? On second thought, I don’t think he has a heart. If he did, he probably lost it during the last divorce. She really did take him to the cleaners, as he deserved.

 

Anyway, I’ll try to remember to write occasionally. I didn’t write anybody last time because Jo Jo was the only one I wanted to talk to and your sister, or rather your father found the judge who would not allowed that. By the time I had a good attorney, we were back on Earth. Anyway, it doesn’t matter now.

It’s time to let the past go, or at least that’s what Dr. Cruz says. At least she is better than the other Dr. Cruz who was here before. Now that traitorous bastard was a real quack. Thankfully, my medical staff is better than that.

 

PS: If you want to send the package and have it get here in less than six months, get in touch with Jim’s brother Kevin Kirk. He’s dating the daughter of the head of Starfleet, so he’s connected. I think his number is on the emergency contact list I gave you.

Chapter 28: Day 42: Happy April Fools’ Day

Notes:

Thank you everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You were all great. Thank you for keeping me writing. 

 

Chapter Text

 

 

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

 

Subject: Re: Thank you for your gift

 

Time arrived: 4/1/2260 0:23:01

 

Sorry, I didn’t write back sooner. I think we’re getting in the zone where these letters are taking five or more days to get here. Then yesterday I had to spend quality time doing deep space interviews with possible replacements for our teacher who would rather resign from Starfleet entirely, then deal with the teenagers any longer, as well as an assistant for me and my captain. Not fun.

 

I think we may have found a husband and wife assistant team that might work so we can have one each and help prevent someone else from dealing with the two bodies problem. It’s always good to get back.

 

Unfortunately, the new teacher search is going not so well mostly because nobody wants to apply. I think tales of the brats of Enterprise have traveled far and wide on the Starfleet rumor mill. This should not surprise me at all. I am totally open for suggestions.

 

         

I’m glad that the cookie bouquet got to you before the dinner and you found it useful. I got something similar for Kevin earlier. I’m also glad I got the jumbo size so you could have leftovers. Sometimes you just need cookies.

 

Considering I get nauseous every time someone refers to me as the guy that saved Earth due to the fact I didn’t save my mother-in-law, I understand how you feel. However, that doesn’t take away the fact that you were a hero on that godforsaken planet. Maybe Sam didn’t come home, but Liz and Kevin did and so many other people because of what you did.

 

You know how people always say if you were not there, things would’ve been a lot worse? Turns out, that’s not exactly hyperbole. If you don’t believe me, talk to Spock’s grandfather or is it uncle? I can’t remember the cover identity right now.

 

I know that is little comfort with Sam still being gone, but that’s just the way life is. It’s never fair and very often cruel, but there are moments of hope. We just have to keep holding onto those moments of hope.

 

Liz is the best. There’s no question. I’m pretty sure she plans for everything.

 

Xxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time arrived: 4/1/2260 00:38:21

 

Subject: thank you for helping with Jo Jo

 

Sorry, baby brother, that I didn’t write earlier, but I’ve been working on our teenager bully problem. Brilliant idea emailing the hubby. You kept your word, but did not necessarily keep the spirit of your word. I taught you so well baby. We decided to do a few more clubs and activities to provide them with something else to do.

 

Ashley 2 seems to be the most receptive. She is doing fencing and came to talk to me a couple of times, after Jo Jo reassured her that I am not a shady person.

 

Did you hear that I lost my captaincy because I’m an alcoholic? The rumor mill is working overtime and therefore is losing any shred of accuracy it ever had before. I guess everybody knows that mom’s an alcoholic and they assumed that I followed in her footsteps. I don’t even give a fuck. I have more important things to deal with like Ashley 2.

 

We have started our own mini support group for survivors of people who had “uncles” that touch the wrong body parts. Becky joined us. She’s the wife of Admiral Marcus’s daughter Carol. I think you guys met at one of the pre-launch mixers we had. I’m kind of surprised she’s OK around me and Sulu, but it might be because she considers us both gay. I’m not going to correct her assumption if it makes her feel more comfortable.

 

Although I do find it weird that she doesn’t know about your girlfriend’s niece. She even heard the kitty cat twins’ rumor. She thinks that they were male kitty cat twins, but she still knows about it, which means she should probably know about that. Everybody else on ship does. Personally, I’m surprised I haven’t had to write up Sulu for stabbing people with his foil yet.

 

That’s okay. Spock has made Josephine his special project which I’m OK with because I have four other teenagers to watch over. Also spending time with Josephine means spending more time with his BFF which makes him happy. The first couple of weeks they weren’t able to hang out like before because being a captain is exhausting. I only see my husband as often as I do you because we’re sleeping together.

 

You probably understand that because you’re living with your girlfriend. I’m personally surprised we’re not surveying ice planets right now because of that. How is the girlfriend? How are you holding up? Did you survive midterms successfully? I hate that they line up with the anniversary for you. Mom said the survivors’ reunion went well and she stayed sober because your girlfriend is that great. Did she actually stay sober?

 

Anyway I’ll keep you posted on progress. Okay, I’ll let you know if I survived April Fools’ Day tomorrow, or rather today since it’s after midnight, with minimal damage. You know somebody is going to do something that’s going to result in a felony. I already reinforced the firewalls on everything, especially the replicators. And all the drugs are on lockdown. I’m not dealing with this shit.

 Xxxxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time arrived: 4/1/2260 07:03:34

 

Subject: Really, I’m okay.

 

Thanks for writing again, even though I didn’t reply last time. I kind of wanted to wait a little while so I could give you good news. No one has stolen my PADD in the last week, so I guess that’s progress. Yes I have pictures of the other teenagers, rubbing the decks. Uncle Jim may have shown me how to get into the cameras, but I’m not supposed to tell anybody that. So don’t tell him that I told you that because Uncle Spock told him not to show us how to hack things. Although technically he told Uncle Jim not to teach the teenagers. I’m not a teenager yet so I don’t think I count.

 

I am OK. Jeremy is actually working with me in class and Ashley 2 talked to me during fencing training last night. The fencing training has been good.

 

I have a few ideas for pranks for today, but I think most of them are on uncle Jim’s do not do list. I’ll let you know if we do anything. I’m not sure yet.

 

The only bad side is I’m going to have to write my aunt and I really don’t want to. But if I want anything out of the snack door, I must. She regrets not getting me out of there earlier. That doesn’t mean anything because she still didn’t do anything. She also referred to mom Nyota as my stepmom.

 

Anyway, send more chocolate. I need more chocolate.

 

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Legal Queen of Atlanta

Time arrived: 4/1/2260 07:31:34

 

Subject: How is everything going?

 

I’m fine. Classes are getting better. I’m actually finding other activities like fencing to occupy my time. Mom Nyota is not my stepmom because one, she’s not married to my dad and two, she signed the adoption papers last December. She is my mom and she’s a lot better than the last one, and it’s only been a few months. At least I won't have to worry about her getting so drunk that she wraps her car around a tree.

 

Thank you for checking in now that I’m someplace nice and safe. Why didn’t you do that when I wasn’t in a good place?

To be continued

Chapter 29: Day 45: Never Mention April 1 Again

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. Your comments keep the creative juices flowing.

A/N: I’ve read through some of the early chapters of Dear James recently and realize I made a slight continuity error regarding Dr. Suarez being a contractor. In Dear James, she tell Nyota an email that she did join Starfleet again. So I’m going to try to reconcile that.

Chapter Text

Xxxxx

 

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: I’m proud of your progress

Time arrived: 4/04/2260 00:00:01

You have no idea how proud I am that you can actually talk about what happened to you in an email. That is testament to how much progress you’ve made over the years and shows me that you have come to terms with a lot of the things that happen to you. I’m very happy that you’ve managed to get to that point. Because of that progress, I think you might be able to guide the young people under your care to a place of healing. The fact that you want to help them with that healing process is encouraging.

It’s not that hard to get a contractor. If you haven’t found somebody by now, ask your husband. I’m sure he did it a few times before because I wasn’t the only contractor last time. Due to the staffing shortages caused by the battle of Vulcan, contractors were used to fill any position that did not need to be performed by an officer like a ship’s counselor. (Although, because I am retired Starfleet I wasn’t a true contractor until recently. I was more like a WAE when I was on your ship which is why they could reassign me to new Vulcan. For a while, Marcus had me convinced I was back, but now I know better.) Spock would definitely know or you could just talk to HR. They’re supposed to help you with staffing issues. They should’ve already mentioned the possibility to you.

Yes, really Nhi Pike does know everything. And she is wonderful. Even though she’s not your Admiral, you can go to her with this. I’m sure she would be able to help if you’re afraid to show weakness to your HR team because you’re afraid they’re going to gossip about you. Will gossip about you more than they already are. The rumor about you losing the captaincy of Enterprise due to a drinking problem has traveled far enough that even I’ve heard it and I’m on the New Vulcan colony right now.

I don’t think a captain has ever functioned as their own science officer, but I wouldn’t be surprised if your husband tried. Have you considered scheduling him some lab hours? He can have science time and you can have some bridge time making you both happy boys. Happy co-captains are good co-captains.

You also need to focus on deescalating the tensions between Captain and Chief Science Officer before HR needs to get involved. Maybe you could schedule a dinner or some sort of team building exercise for your Captain and Chief Science Officer. I attach the top 10 list to this email. They need to work together and as first officer, it’s your job to make sure that they can. Margarita may have other ideas, but you should bring her in, or you can talk to HR. Do we need to discuss why you are afraid of HR?

So I’m fairly certain that emails from the colony are probably taking at least a week or more to get to you. Since it’s been that long, I would like to know if you’ve made any progress with the children since your last email? Did you talk to Margarita? She’s there to help.

Anyway keep me posted. I really want to know how you’re handling everything. Just because I turned you over to Margarita, doesn’t mean I don’t care. I will always worry about you.

Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Re: I’m proud of your progress
Time sent: 4/04/2260 06:03:01

I totally agree that these messages are probably taking way too long to get here, but I’m not sure how long it’s taking. The email system is evil. Instead of telling me when you emailed the message, the timestamp is for time arrived, which was one second after midnight today, April 4. That makes absolute total sense.

I thought I was making some progress and then April Fools’ Day happened a few days ago. I guess I should be happy that I wasn’t specifically targeted, targeted by any of the good kids anyway. Jeremy took a few shots at me, but Jeremy is an idiot. Thankfully I know to use an allergy detecting tricorder on any so-called apology gift or anything else for that matter (thanks, ice cream diplomacy incident). Unfortunately, Bobbi from the science department does not. More on that nightmare that is forcing me to spend way too much time with HR in a moment.

I’m not bitter about it because Jeremy currently has no eyebrows. Also, the entire ship was emailed the video file of him wandering around the halls in Hobgoblin underwear. Of course the guy identifies with the villains. And his skin is blue right now, Smurf blue. Or if we are keeping with the Marvel theme, Kree blue.

Okay, I found the entire thing hilarious, but it took me like five minutes to find out who did it. I’m supposed to punish them, but I really don’t want to because again Jeremy’s an idiot. Also, it’s not like anything they did caused serious physical damage or hospitalization. That’s more than I can say for some of the adults.

Poor Lieutenant Morris. Her evil ex-boyfriend reprogrammed the replicator to add allergens to her breakfast that morning. Except he screwed up and added it to everybody’s breakfast. Five people ended up in Sickbay. Allergy detecting tricorders for everyone.

She’s going to be OK because she always carries an allergy hypo with her. Although I hate doing the paperwork for an attempted murder. There’s going to be a court-martial. You know there’s going to be a court-martial. So really blue and eyebrows free Jeremy is like the least of my problems at the moment.

And yes, this means spending quality time in HR and no, I don’t like spending quality time in HR because everybody down there thinks that I was horribly underqualified to be appointed a captain in the first place. So yes, you were right. Actually several of them think that I was only appointed Chris’s acting first officer in the first place because I was fucking him. They actually thought I wouldn’t hear what they were saying, but I did.

They been positively giddy over the demotion. Even though if they read the damn paperwork, they would know that I wasn’t actually demoted and I voluntarily chose to function as my husband’s first officer. I did what I did because I want Spock to have everything he deserves. Also, my family is a little screwed up and I need the flexibility to deal with things if they blow up, but things seem to be going okay.

Still no new teacher and as mentioned above, I like to give HR as few reasons to believe their own false perceptions of me as possible. I’ve been looking for a while and there’s just not anybody really qualified. OK there are lots of qualified professionals because at some point in your Starfleet career, you will end up teaching at the Academy. However, anybody with any teaching experience whatsoever is not applying.

Apparently, the rumor mill is aware of what Jeremy and the two evil Ashleys can do. I’m pretty sure the Ashleys were the ones who completely destroyed most of my clothes in Spock’s wardrobe. Like every shirt. The quartermaster thinks Spock did it all probably during sex. It is so embarrassing. So contractor here we come. Spock explained what I need to do (after he explained your strange employment status when they were on ship), but I’m still going to ask Nhi if she knows of any possible candidates.

Oh I guess I should mention the not evil Ashley is coming around. We’re kind of doing a mini support group with me, her, and Becky, Carol‘s wife. We are all survivors of sexual assault. Ashley 2 even knows what happened to me.

It’s been good for Ashley 2 and she starting to come out of her shell and even talking about her own trauma. OK she’s not torturing Josephine anymore. I guess that’s all I can really hope for. She told Josephine what the other Ashleys were planning which meant none of their pranks worked out and both Ashleys’ currently have purple hair. I have no idea how that happened and I’m so busy investigating the prank that landed multiple people in Sickbay that I don’t have time to find out who programmed the replicator to add purple die to their shampoo.

Next time we hang out, I’ll talk to Becky about maybe setting up a play date with our spouses. How the hell did I turn out to be the responsible one in my marriage? I did not expect that to happen.

I’ll write you again soon, probably even before I get a response back. We are getting close to the anniversary of Amanda’s death and when I found out about Sam. It feels like we’re just going from one anniversary to another from January until June. I am not looking forward to the first anniversary of Chris’s death or my death for that matter. That’s going to be hard to deal with.

I got mom and Kevin cookie bouquets which were a hit. However, I feel like doing something like that for Spock would be like getting him a bottle of Jack which is not something I probably should do. I am completely open to suggestions on how to deal with all of this.

OK now I need to write Nhi about a contractor and Spock pie needs my full attention for breakfast.

Apparently, a first officer‘s work is never done.

X
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 04/04/2260 07:02:01

Subject: Do you have suggestions on how to staff the recently vacated teaching position aboard Enterprise? Also I hate my entire HR department.

So, I’m sure you already read the official reports regarding the April Fools’ Day replicator/attempted murder incident. It makes eyebrow free and blue Jeremy pale in comparison. How did we get so many morons on the ship?

The guy is in the brig and honestly, I can’t get him off my ship fast enough. Like seriously it’s going to be at least two weeks before we will be able to get to a Star base because we can’t leave star mapping now. Also HR is inefficient as hell.

I hate star mapping. Exploring new planets is fun, usually. As long as you don’t end up dead. Making a map where people can find new planets not as much fun. I just want to do something that isn’t paperwork and job interviews (and spending quality time with members of HR that think that I am an incompetent idiot because I don’t have all the normal qualifications and experience that someone in my position usually has). Filling out attempted murder and domestic violence incident paperwork is not a break from the monotony because it’s still paperwork.

So before this incident, the reason why I’ve been spending so much quality time with HR is I need to find a new teacher for the children of Enterprise. The last one quit because Jeremy is evil and two of the three Ashleys are lonely and easily influenced. Thanks to the Enterprise rumor mill, nobody wants the job. Unfortunately, I need to find a new teacher otherwise, well we lose our trial program. So I need a contractor. Preferably a teacher working on getting counselor certification and would love for Starfleet to pay for it. That type of incentive might be the only way we’ll get somebody almost qualified.

My lovely benevolent husband showed me the process of applying for one, but he mentioned that things go better if I have a name. You wouldn’t happen to know anybody who would qualify? Or even a place where I could look. Spock made a few suggestions this morning over breakfast, but I would love to have your opinion on it.

Anyway overall things are good. I mean half the ship is convinced that I am no longer in charge because I am an alcoholic, but whatever. Oh yeah, and HR is just fueling the fires of the rumor mill. My God, they actually have access to the real personnel action, yet they believe the rumors. They think that Starfleet is covering up what happened out of respect for my father and my husband. God, I hate people.

Also, Spock and Carol are fighting mostly because I don’t think Spock likes anybody playing with his toys and apparently I was Carol’s toy in another timeline and well he doesn’t like that. I mean I shouldn’t be held accountable for things my other self did. Besides who knows, in another timeline those two may update it and like have a kid together. I would hopefully not hold that against him if I found out that that happened.

Suarez suggested I give my Spock bear some lab time, just to help him unwind. I feel like I should start interviewing new science officers because I’m not exactly sure how long Carol is going to make it. I think they may try to kill each other at some point. If or rather when Carol resigns, can Spock become his own chief science officer? That would just make my life so much easier. Even though there are some specific reasons for his Carol issues, I’m not sure we won’t run into this problem with the next person. My cuddle Spock is a little territorial. It’s hard for him to let go of his lab.

Anyway, write me back when you get a chance. Since we’re in the middle of nowhere mapping, I’m sure it will be like a week before you get this.

To be continued.

Chapter 30: Day 48: Co-Parenting Across the Universe

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all lovely. Your comments keep me writing.

Chapter Text

 

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 4/07/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: I'm pretty sure your family now hates me

I wish you would have warned me more about your extended family before I ended up spending quality time with them. And yet, considering how often I avoid my own family gatherings, I shouldn't be surprised. They're not exactly jumping for joy either. How dare I get pregnant out of wedlock in the 23rd century. Then again, mom has always been the black sheep of the family, joining Starfleet and adopting Liz. So of course, I follow in her footsteps.

Don't worry about care packages and getting fencing supplies for your kids. You're co-parenting with the daughter of the head of Starfleet. You will always get the good junk food. It's the only time I take advantage of my connections. Chocolate is necessary for life.

I did talk to your siblings, to feel them out to see if they would even want to be Desi's temporary guardian while I'm in space. Ben invited us for tea at his house to provide a safe space and be my emotional back up. It was kind of a mixed reaction. In emergencies and if there were no other options, of course they would step up. They're not going to throw our baby girl to the wolves of foster care. But it seems that they see themselves as the option of last resort. Your little sister even suggested Ben first since the girls have already bonded and they are like 99% sure he's going to be her stepdad soon. (I support this if it ever happens, no pressure.)

In contrast, my mom and sister would be jumping at the chance. Ben too for that matter, because he loves you and your baby girl. Of course, maybe this is because they're part of Damora's everyday life and having her with them full-time would not be that big of a change.

OK this probably means that I need to interact with your family more, especially outside of large family gatherings. I don't think I am planning to do a very Sulu anything until you're back here if I can help it. Of course, I'm going to be on the Hamilton over next Christmas, so at least that gets me out of that.

I want us to decide on this together. We are 100% co-parents. We must consult on all the big decisions and this is a big one. Are you somewhere where we can do a Starfleet Instant-ish messenger option? And let's be honest, nothing is instant when you're that far away.

Also, congratulations on not having to be at the second annual remembrance of the destruction of Vulcan. I heard you guys are going to be way too far away to participate in any event. Lucky Bastard. As the daughter of the head of Starfleet, I must be there. I'm sure the entire time Liz is going to be thanking the universe that the Tarsus fuck up was too classified for there to be public remembrances of what happened. I think I'm going to ask her to do something with the kids then as a distraction for Ben. There's no reason why we all must suffer. I'm sure the anniversary must be awful for him.

Speaking of your boyfriend, Ben says he loves you. He is over at the house right now for a play date. Okay, he's keeping the kids occupied while I write to you. The kids must be around each other at least every other day, otherwise they get cranky. Seriously, put a ring on it.

Liz would be able to make these play dates because she lives in San Francisco proper. However, one of your sisters is on the other side of the country most of the time. The other one is always working outside of the city or even state sometimes. That's what happens when you're one of the best wedding planners on the West Coast. So, another point for Liz.

So, I guess what I'm trying say is, I really would like to finalize plans soon. Two months may seem like a long time, but I'm going to be back on the Hamilton before you know it.

Anyway, good luck in space and be safe. Also, your baby loves you. Pictures attached, mostly of the girls playing together.

PS: We did join the playgroup that you suggested, and it is so much better than where we were before. It's nice to be in a play group that doesn't require spiking my ice tea with vodka. Thank your friends for me.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 4/07/2260 6:06:32

Subject: Re: I'm pretty sure your family now hates me

Thank you for the pictures of the kids being adorable. That cheered me up this morning. Also, happy to hear that the new playgroup is working out. I will let the doctor know he has good taste in playgroups.

I am neither shocked nor surprised by my sisters' feelings on the issue mostly because I received a video version of the family reunion along with a family update. They said something similar. They are also team Ben and I think they may have already started wedding preparations. You know, even though we haven't even been dating a year yet.

Also, my extended family was as bad as you said they were. The video was filled with variations of 'but I thought he was gay'. You think they would understand that it can be a little more fluid than that. Although you are the only woman I've ever had sex with and that's mostly been in a group setting, but they never need to know that ever.

After viewing the video, I completely support your decision to only interact with my immediate family and avoiding all large family gatherings at all cost. Maybe you can make sure you send them the cute videos and pictures you sent me. More emails, less in person interaction. Although whoever is baby D's guardian come Christmas time, they will have to bring her over to my sister's house for a very Sulu family Christmas. Maybe that should be part of the criteria to decide. I feel like your mom can deal with my family better than your sister, but only because she's a Starfleet newbie. (Ben, I love him, but he is not a viable option until one of us is wearing an engagement ring, not that that's going to happen anytime soon. Also, I can't have him deal with my family alone at Christmas. It would be cruel.)

I still don't know if I want a 20 something to oversee our daughter, even if she will have her boyfriend there to co-parent. In comparison, your mom would be all by herself. That is one point in her favor.

Also, I realize that your sister and her boyfriend are more mature than what their biological ages are, thanks to the trauma that is really classified. I realize that everything in the media about Tarsus is a complete lie. The only thing I really know for sure was that your mom rescued everybody despite orders and your sister was a survivor. Also, I think that may have been where the captain, Sorry co-captain's brother died, but I'm not 100% certain. Getting Jim Kirk to talk about his family is like pulling teeth the old-fashioned way. It's a rare occurrence and if you do get him to talk about the past, most of it is about Kevin. He loves talking about his brother.

I probably should talk to him regarding his opinion of his brother as a caretaker and Liz as well. I know that he's known Liz almost as long as he's known Kevin. Although considering what I know about the situation with his mom, Kevin may have more experience in that area than any of us realize. I'm going to have to think about all of this. Maybe write your sister and future brother-in-law. (You know they're going to get married. Eventually, you just know it.)

What does your mom think about this? Would she be upset if you chose somebody else? Also, would your sister be able to really balance the baby and her class schedule. The fourth year is always the hardest. Although I heard she's getting the better version of the Kobayashi Maru so that's a plus.

Give me a little time to think about it and maybe talk to your sister. I will give you an answer before the end of the month. Unfortunately, we are too far out to do a Starfleet messenger chat. However, thanks to the April Fools' Day replicator incident, we are going to have to visit a Star base soon. Then maybe we can try for a video chat.

By the way, I miss you and the baby. I also miss the boyfriend and his baby, but I'm going to write him after this, so you don't have to tell him that. Tell princess I love her and to be good. You could also ask her input on who should be her guardian. I have a feeling she would choose who ever would give her more toys which might be your mom.

Anyway, give them all hugs and kisses for me, the kids anyway. I will write again when I have a chance.

Xxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: IOU so much chocolate and foot rubs right now

Time sent: 4/07/2260 06:23:41

Hey baby, miss you.

So, I heard group play time has been doing well since you guys joined the new playgroup. OK I heard that it doesn't require spiked ice tea to get through it. I hope that is still the case. Also, I apologize for everything my sisters did when you invited them over. I would ask if the tea was spiked then, but I'm afraid to know the answer. I'm neither shocked or surprised they're already planning a wedding.

OK as my boyfriend, I need your advice. What is your opinion on Lizzy and Kevin being the guardians of my baby girl while Sue is on the Hamilton? Since you were there during tea, I know you know that I suggested my sisters, but they have their own thing which is fine. We are not one of those families. Unless there's a crisis. But I guess I should be flattered that they trust you so much.

You know there's probably a little bitterness because of my accidental baby. OK and I didn't tell them about all the details. You know more. You know everything because I tell you everything because I love you and trust you and you never threw my favorite teddy bear in a garbage disposal. I have some deep-seated issues with my sisters. Very deep-seated. Maybe I should consider talking to Dr. Margarita.

So as my boyfriend and as a parent, would you hand your kid over to a 20-year-old? A mature 20-year-old and her 19-year-old boyfriend, but still 20. I mean if they didn't change the drinking age, she wouldn't be able to buy champagne for like another month.

Then there is the trouble of mixing parenthood and school life. The last year at the Academy is hard. And not just because you know what happened in the end. Just the school work and the exams and all of that and I didn't have to do a kid on top of that. Would having a child be too much?

So, I guess what I'm asking is what should I do? Should I tell Sue that no you can't leave our daughter with your sister and I think she would be better off with your mom? I'm not even sure of that.

I like Admiral Chan. She's a good Admiral, much better than Marcus mostly because she never tried to kill us. However, being the head of Starfleet is a full-time job. More than being a Starfleet cadet, even if school life is chaotic. Then she'll be by herself where Liz would at least have Kevin. You of all of us understand what full-time single parenthood is.

Jim adores Kevin and says all good things. And even Spock likes him and has asked his advice on our teenager issues. If the guy can deal with teenagers, a baby should be easy. Considering even Jim is betting on the two of them being married by 2271, I feel like he would be sticking around for this. Have you seen Liz and Kevin with Desi? How are they doing? Do you think they make a good team?

I guess I should give you an update on the kids I'm working with. Jay and JoJo are doing well. Ashley is as well. She keeps killing the replicated practice dummies by stabbing them in the genitals, but I feel like there's a reason for that. OK I think the only reason why she's comfortable around me is she thinks Sue was only my gestational carrier and doesn't believe any of the rumors, the wild orgy rumors anyway.

How are you doing? I know you are getting closer to the anniversary. And it's probably worse since you're fighting with Zach's parents. Are you still fighting with them or are they okay with you putting the baby into daycare? I hope you do something not necessarily fun, but not soul sucking. Don't wallow. I don't think Zach would have wanted you to be sad all the time. You deserve happiness.

Anyway, love you and miss you and totally counting down the days until I get to see you again. As much as I want to keep talking to you, I have work to do. Talk to you later.

To be continued.

Chapter 31: Day 49: So Do You Want to Raise a Small Child?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. All encouragement keeps me in the writing zone.

Chapter Text

From: SulxuHG2260

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 4/08/2260 6:43:01

Subject: Do you really want to have your niece living with you for a year?

So I probably should start this email with I am so sorry you had to put up with my family and oh my God I can't believe they asked you those questions. My sister sent me the video of the family reunion and they were brutal. It was just brutal. I would tell you never to agree to go to one of my family events again, but depending on how the rest of this conversation goes that may not be an option. Whoever has custody of baby D in December will have to take her to Christmas at my sister's house and if your sister has her way, that might be you.

So I'm sure you know by now that your sister thinks that you would be the best guardian for Damora while we are both in space. Especially because unlike my sisters, you're willing to jump at the opportunity to do it, which I do appreciate. I mean my sisters would not let baby girl end up in foster care, but I feel like they have other responsibilities that they would put first. My little sister is in Starfleet even if she has a more earthbound assignment than me.

Big sis has her career and they're going through another round of in vitro. Also, I think she might be pissed off at me for having a kid by accident when she hasn't been able to carry a pregnancy to term. I mean her gay brother should not have a kid before her. OK there's a lot of emotional baggage tied up in this and I'm sorry you got dragged into it. But at the same time, Ben was totally willing to throw himself in as a candidate, despite the fact we haven't been together a year yet.

So, I guess the question I'm trying to ask is, do you really think you can handle being a mom to a one-year-old for 9 to 12 months at a time? You know the Hamilton assignment will last more than what is scheduled because nothing really goes as scheduled in Starfleet. Is Kevin up for the challenge of being a co-parent with you? What are you planning to do about childcare, daycare, play groups? Will she still be able to meet up with her favorite little playmate? Will you pass my letters to your baby niece which reminds me I should write one to her today. It's been a while. These are all things I want to know before I decide.

Why would you be a better option then your mother? I guess I'm just trying to understand that. It's not that I don't think you can do this, it's just this is my little girl and I have to know that she is going to be safe and protected when I'm not there. That's what parents do. We are crazy that way.

Jim sings your praises. He says that you're the smart one and a ridiculously hard worker. Despite your mom's position in Starfleet, you worked at a restaurant, so you could be your own person. He told me that you were offered a management position, but you turned it down so you could help your sister and Kevin with various responsibilities. That's definitely a point in your favor.

He also said that you are great with Winona and with helping Kevin keep it together during the worst of the situation. So again another point in your favor. You're going to have a lot of points in your favor the more I think about this.

Anyway, write me back when you get a chance. If I remember correctly, midterms are over and things are starting to get back to normal. I am glad I am long past the Academy. Midterms are always awful.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 4/07/2260 06:59:32

Subject: your brother is ridiculously proud of you.

So I probably should start this letter off with your brother is perfectly OK and has not done anything stupid or life threatening, recently anyway. Of course, he's leading the away team in a couple of weeks for surveying mission after the current starmapping assignment is done, so that could change.

First, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the way my family behaved at a very Sulu family reunion. I saw the video and it was worse than even she said it was. I would say this wasn't normal, but I would be lying. Sorry.

So second, I assume that you know that Sue is considering leaving Damora with you and her sister instead of having her mom take care of her. I mean this would be good for you and Liz because it means no student housing. You would get to stay in officer housing away from gossiping toddlers and drunk sophomores.

But taking care of a small child isn't all fun and games.

I've been told that you would be aware of that, but this isn't babysitting. This is different. Do you think you're up for almost a year of full-time parenthood, especially with all the other things on your plate like school and your mom? I don't know all the details there, but I know that there's some issues with her that take a lot of energy. Jim wouldn't say much about it, and that in itself worries me. I don't want you to stretch yourself too thin. I guess I just want to make sure that you can do this without driving yourself to exhaustion.

Jim says you can. He believes you're the mature one of the two of you. Also taking care of people is apparently in your blood. I heard you spent several years as the best babysitter of Riverside. Although your brother will explain how that happened. Even your brother-in-law gave you a glowing recommendation.

Despite that, I thought I would talk to you directly. It's always good to come in with as much information as possible into these situations. It's also best not to assume things.

Anyway I would really appreciate your response whenever you get a chance to write back.

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 4/08/2260 07:13:01

Subject: Star mapping is not fun yet necessary

Dear Damora:

Sorry I haven't written you in a while. I meant to, but then April Fools' Day happened and I'm really glad I'm not allergic to eggs. Let's just put it that way. Normally I wouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing, but being the number two to the co-captains means I get lots of paperwork to do when bad things happen.

Now that that excitement is over. We're mostly doing star mapping, which is not the most fun thing to do on a starship. At least not for me. Ms. Carol's department, which gets to analyze all the data we're collecting is having the time of their life right now. For me, it's not fun unless we get to explore planets which I hope will happen very soon. I would love a chance to put my botany skills to use. Not that I don't love flying because I do.

So, my sisters and your aunt's sent me a video of the pie eating. I really enjoyed that you put blueberry handprints all over a certain cousin that I really really don't like. Second cousin actually. She is the one who told the whole family how you really got here. Someday, I'll tell you the details probably when you're at least 16.

So I've been spending the morning before shift writing emails to your Aunt Liz and soon to be Uncle Kevin, to see if they really want to take care of you when mommy and daddy are off in space. My sisters don't want to take care of you, unless all other options are dead or deemed unfit by the Federation. Which is totally their loss. However, that means that grandma and Aunt Liz are most likely your future caregivers.

My sisters also volunteered Ben, but Uncle Jim told me the obviously edited version of the Uncle Frank story and that was enough to make me hesitant. I'm 99% sure Ben is not an Uncle Frank, but I'm sure Jim's mom thought the same thing. Otherwise, why would she have left him and his brother there? You should always be cautious about these things, which is why I'm vetting everybody carefully.

This all makes me feel bad about leaving you behind. I know that parents in the military have been doing this for centuries, but it still hurts.

Anyway, I heard you found a new playgroup. Tell mommy to send me video. Everyone on the ship loves seeing you. You make everything happy.

Anyway, hugs and kisses. Love you always baby girl.

To be continued

Chapter 32: Day 52: I Survived Midterms and all I’m Getting is Amusement Park Tickets

Chapter Text

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. All of you are wonderful and keep me and the happy writing zone.

 

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 4/13/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Praise everyone midterms are over

I think we’re OK. All midterms are over, and I have at least six weeks before I must start thinking about finals. You’ll be happy to know that my perfect GPA is still intact. Although, I’m pretty sure Liz got a B + in a class because the guy hates her mom.

Anyway, in celebration we are taking baby D to her very first amusement park. Probably Knottsberry Disney or maybe Disney’s Princess land. Or maybe Disney’s Pixar land. It doesn’t really matter almost every park on the West Coast is owned by Disney now, but we will have fun anyway. OK we’re planning to do the family getaways so baby D and Liz do not have to smile and nod next to her mom at the remembrance ceremony. The baby is too young for that and her therapist feels like it would totally be a trigger.

We also decided to take Ben with us. Okay, we decided to take baby K with us and it’s only polite to ask her dad to join us. It was Sue’s idea, but a good one. Liz lost classmates, but Ben lost his husband. I think he’s dealing with it better than Winona ever did, but it’s better for him to just be somewhere else. I know I can’t deal with anything else on top of my Tarsus baggage. I don’t want to think about how hard this day is for him.

I think Mom might come with us. She likes my girlfriend’s niece, and this is probably as close as she is going to get to grandkids for at least a decade. Although I haven’t actually asked her yet but we have a couple of weeks to go before the anniversary anyway. I’m sure we can convince her to come.

I’m going to miss the Niblett when she is living full time with grandma next year, but we will grab her for fun activities whenever possible and probably play dates with Ben and his daughter. It’s necessary. They will be a blended family very soon. Please tell me somebody is running a betting pool on when they will get married? Liz made a small fortune with you guys.

Yes, mama is still sober. Yes, I’m shocked about that, but I’m hopeful. I know San Francisco has its own ghosts, but maybe there are fewer here than in Riverside. At least she has friends here. That’s better than Iowa. I don’t think mom ever felt comfortable there. Everybody was always so nasty to her. I think she only stayed there because that was the home that Winona and your dad made for you guys. But we’re all grown up now.

I’m glad your kids are getting better. Were there any April Fools’ Day shenanigans? I haven’t heard from Josephine yet, but maybe I shouldn’t be concerned. It took almost a week for me to get your last email. I feel like it may have been the perfect opportunity to get back at Jeremy. You know the asshole deserves anything done to him. I hate bullies so much.

I’m glad you’re dealing with your own trauma. I mean I’m happy you’re helping the kids deal with their trauma, but I’m glad you’re really addressing what happened because it’s hard. I mean I still have food issues. I’m trying not to store protein bars under the bed at Sue’s house, but do you know it’s hard to break those habits.

Anyway, keep me posted on your efforts with the teenagers.

Xxx
From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 4/12/2260 01:00:01

Subject: Re: Really, I’m okay.
Okay the Starfleet email system is weird. I got Jim’s email an entire day before yours even though it looks like you sent them on the same day. Liz says not to be surprised. Her mom used to send her and Sue messages and sometimes they would arrive a week apart, even though they were sent one after the other. Liz says a day is good.

Okay I want to know if you eventually did take advantage of April Fools’ Day. I know something big happened because Liz’s mom has been cranky for at least the last week because she’s been dealing with the fallout. Apparently, some days her job is just god-awful.

Jim made it sound like things are getting better. Are they or is he looking at the situation from the lens of an adult? You really should let him know what’s going on. If the bullying is still at peak awfulness, Jim will help in any way he can even though he can’t punch out your bullies. He did that a lot with mine. He always tried to be the best big brother.
Xxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 4/12/2260 00:23:21

Subject: Re: Praise everyone midterms are over

You know I don’t think you’re supposed to ask me questions about illegal gambling on my ship. It’s even less cool than before because first officers know what’s going on in the ship where captains are buried in bureaucracy. However, talk to JoJo’s mom. Nyota always has the hook up.

Oh God April Fools’ Day was a disaster and it wasn’t even the kids. Someone tried to kill his ex-girlfriend by talking with the replicators and adding eggs to everything. It was awful. I’m still dealing with paperwork and I have no idea when we’re going to be able to drop them off at the nearest Star base for court-martial proceedings.

I mean at least the kids followed the no list, to the exact letter, although not necessarily the spirit of the list. Jeremy still doesn’t have eyebrows. His are now baby blue, instead of Smurf blue like he was at first, but it’s still going to be a while before he is back to his actual skin tone. Sonic showers can only do so much. I have attached pictures. This may end up my screensaver. I know it’s cruel, but it’s cathartic. Unfortunately, Jeremy is being a brat despite this, but everyone else is starting to tone down a little bit.

The amusement park idea is brilliant. I’m trying to think of something to do for Spock and maybe for the Ashleys. Make your own Sunday bar. It will be cookies. I can’t get a cookie bouquet here, but I may have the ingredients to make fresh cookies. Well eggless cookies. If you stay in the fleet long enough, you’ll learn how to cook with just the shelf stable stuff. I learned to make the best egg free brownies during my semester in space.

I should ask when you are doing your semester in space. I know your girlfriend did hers when she was a freshman because she has the hook up and was already a sophomore. But what about you? Would that be a problem, if your girlfriend’s sister and Sulu decide that you and Liz should have custody of bubble baby? Would that affect you doing another internship this summer? Are you going to do another internship?

Or are you not doing it? Your letter made it sound like baby D would totally be living with grandma. Or maybe you think he’s not going to choose you guys?
He is taking the possibility of you having the baby very seriously. I think you’re going to win out over grandma so don’t worry about missing the Niblett just yet.

I gave you a stellar recommendation. I said all good things. Although, I didn’t tell him about you pretty much taking care of mom for the last four years, but I may have implied it heavily. Of course, he had a normal childhood without parents with alcoholism so maybe he doesn’t quite get it.

I’m sad that Jojo hasn’t written you yet. She’s been quiet lately, but I get it. Still adjusting and everything. I am just concerned. At least her Vulcan lessons are going well, in the sense that her ability to speak Vulcan has increased dramatically. She has another lesson tonight. She’s not telling Spock anything at all, but an hour with Spock is an hour out of the grasp of Jeremy. He is being a total prick after he lost his eyebrows.

In other good news, the other two Ashleys are now starting to act almost well behaved after their penance for their April Fools’ Day joke on us. I totally should have specifically said not to screw with the Captain’s wardrobe, but I thought anybody with any common sense would figure that out on their own. The Ashleys not so much. The good news is we got a new wardrobe. Unfortunately, the quartermaster thinks that Spock is violent during private time, but whatever. Yeah you probably didn’t want to know that. But as your big brother, I’m supposed to embarrass you like crazy. It’s in the job description.

Despite all these trivial things, overall things are good aboard Enterprise. It would be better if we didn’t have to smile for the cameras on the day of the anniversary, but I just have a feeling that that’s when we will finally be able to drop the guy who tried to kill his ex-girlfriend at a Star base. You know they’re going to make Spock their poster boy because his mom died during the battle. Last year was not fun. I think I may have Bones make up some rare Vulcan disease, so Spock doesn’t have to speak to a crowd on the day his mom died. Good spouses do stuff like that right?

Anyway, miss you baby brother. I support your foray into temporary parenthood. Please don’t make it permanent parenthood. Remember contraceptive hypos are your friend. Seriously, do not knock up my boss’s daughter. I’m tired of having bosses that want to kill me.

Xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 4/13/2260 21:04:01

Subject: Re: Really, I’m okay.

That’s okay, although that does explain why Uncle Jim told me to email you today when I was having dinner with him before class with Uncle Spock. He was happy to know that I did write to you earlier, but it just took a while for you to get the message Language classes are going well. Although he refuses to teach me Vulcan curse words. I want to be able to call Jeremy a dick without him realizing it. Mom would know. But mom wouldn’t care. Actually, I think she threatened to dismember him in Klingon just this morning. I’m not sure because she’s also refusing to teach me Klingon curse words.

By the way, I made Jeremy blue and it was glorious. Pictures attached. Your brother forgot to put a moratorium on adding dye to shampoo. It’s been two weeks and he’s still a light blue.

Also, Ashley one and three are no longer being openly hostile. This is a surprising occurrence. It started a couple of days ago after Jeremy said some not so pleasant things about my deceased mother. I mean, I can understand why Ashley two would react that way since her dad died during the battle of Vulcan. Her parents were already divorced like mine were by that point, but it still hurt. The others, I don’t understand why they would react that way.

I’m not surprised your brother acted that way. He is protective of everyone. Especially us kids, except for maybe Jeremy. Jeremy is a prick.

Anyway, I’ll try to write again soon.

 

To be continued

Chapter 33: Day 55: No Wonder Spock authorized botany to grow cannabis

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

One thing I want to mention again is that you’re not seeing all the correspondence because that would make this story ridiculously large. You’re seeing mostly personal correspondence and no official reports. Mission readouts would probably be a little on the boring side even if the missions themselves were absolutely bonkers. Of course this is probably because Jim would be sending Starfleet the sanitized for their consumption version of anything weird that happens. Thankfully in this universe Spock knows that Jim will omit some things. That’s why they write all the reports together. They still do now that Spock is Captain because Jim is still the better one at subterfuge.

Chapter Text

Xxx
From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
time arrived: 4/16/2260 01:23:01
Subject: I completely understand why botany is growing homeopathic Vulcan headache medicine.
Spock’s going to need a lot of it, if the year keeps going like this. Yes, I read the reports about April Fool’s day. Do you think Margarita would be offended if we sent a second therapist to the ship? I feel like you guys need two.

I’m looking for a teacher with counseling certification for that reason. I think I may have found somebody. She knows the big boss personally, so this might work out. Let me handle the teacher issue and you concentrate on your husband. I’m thinking cannabis cheese crackers.

On the bright side, you will be happy to know that that I managed to convince Rodriguez that Enterprise should not participate in any of the activities commemorating the second anniversary of the battle of Vulcan. The Enterprise is going to be exploring the recently discovered planet XZ9 beta and therefore could not possibly get to a Star base on the day of the anniversary to film good soundbites. It’s going to take you at least a week and a half to get there at a reasonable warp.

Yes, this means you’re probably going to have your prisoner until at least mid-May, but for the sake of your husband and the Ashleys, I think it is for the best that they not have to deal with the fake pageantry of the Starfleet commemoration. I’m sure you remember the Kelvin Memorials too vividly. We’re doing a wreath laying here and reading off the names of all the Starfleet officers that died during the incident. That’s enough.

We all lost people in the battle. Friends and lovers alike. I lost my host family. You know I lived on Vulcan for a few years growing up. Last year was hard, but I had Chris. I think this year might be worse because I don’t have him.

Chan said the first year after her husband’s death was the hardest year for her, and it might be that way for me as well. I think she’s right. So let’s just get through the anniversary and then you can tell me how the kids are doing. Maybe once the anniversary has passed, they’ll be acting out less. Although all reports I’m getting about Jo Jo have been glowing. Your second officer’s reports have been valuable. Keep me posted. I know your actual reports are just the clean version and I want to know what’s really going on.

No Captain has ever served as their own science officer yet. A few in the past have scheduled some time in their specialization so they wouldn’t become rusty post captaincy, but not that many. Although very few double track and therefore have a specialization outside of command. Usually that’s something more likely that the first officer would do. I served as first officer and science officer, just like your hubby.

However, I think you might be just as restless. Have you considered maybe doing some hours in engineering? OK, yeah that’s not going to work because it’s engineering. Have you made peace with that part of the ship yet?

 

Xxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: Number_one_Pike
Time sent: 4/16/2260 05:23:01
Subject: Re: I completely understand why botany is growing homeopathic Vulcan headache medicine.
I think Margarita would be fine with an additional therapist. Actually, I’m surprised she hasn’t asked for backup yet. She’s always booked solid.

Thank you so much for taking over the search for a teacher. At least you can do in person interviews which may yield better results. The one qualified person I found may have been one of the nine people I slept with before I met my husband and will not take the job. Apparently, he really believes I lost my job due to the alcoholism rumor. That was not a fun conversation to have with Spock. So, my reputation has been shot to hell due to the show I used to put on at the Academy.

Yes, I’ve made peace with engineering, mostly. The real children of Enterprise like to go down there for the alcohol that my, should already be adults but act like children Engineers, are brewing. I can’t wait for our traditional Vulcan medication to be ready. I think I need the cannabis cheese crackers more than Spock. Also, maybe I’ll have to worry about engineering accidentally blowing up the ship with their unauthorized distillery a little less.

However just because I’ve made peace doesn’t mean I want to spend quality time down in engineering because again they’re my problem children. And Spock would prefer I not accidentally get blown up by one of Scotty’s experiments.

Since Spock said no to Enterprise’s junior hacking club, I’m giving Spock and myself some IT shifts with communications. Also, this way we can figure out why Chen discovered that my second officer accidentally let something slip to the boyfriend. He’s sorry about that by the way and he will be doing better with his messages to the boyfriend. Not that there’s anything exciting going on just yet. Although we did receive official orders yesterday so I’m looking forward to two weeks of planetary exploration. Fingers crossed that nobody ends up in Sickbay. I’m not looking forward to three weeks of traveling there and back. But at least the starmapping will be over tomorrow.

And yes, I’d rather explore an unknown planet then put Spock through the pomp and circumstance of anything close to the Kelvin memorial events from when I was a kid. That stuff was god awful. All those fake people giving me their equally fake condolences. They didn’t give a fuck about my father’s sacrifice. If they did, they would have approved the funding to find Nero decades before he blew up Vulcan and killed my mother-in-law before I even met her.

I don’t want to play nice with Star base diplomats. I know Spock didn’t want to. I was considering giving him some disease that required him to stay in quarantine until after the event was over with. Thank you for me not having to do that now.

I’m planning something to actually cheer Spock up. He’s planning something for the Ashleys since they all lost a parent so I think it’s going to be a bonding moment. They’re starting to come around a little bit mostly because their punishment for April Fools’ Day was replicating our wardrobe. They have good taste and are great at replicator programming.

I have to ask, could an element of this program be interning or job shadowing? I mean you can only spend so much time in the classroom. Maybe some on the job or real world experience will calm down the restlessness and everyone would be less bratty. I have no hope for Jeremy not being bratty and I’m secretly crossing my fingers that his mom will apply to another ship. But the rest are getting better. (Okay, not. All other ships are an option. I don’t want Jeremy on the Hamilton because I can’t put my second officer’s baby’s mom through that, but anywhere else. Anywhere, especially Delta Vega. God, I want that kid off my ship.)

OK glad that you find my second officer’s reports interesting and educational. Why do I have a feeling that they’re probably a little bit more interesting than what I sent in. OK we’re going to have to have a talk. Probably definitely. Anyway, I’ll write back soon, most likely after the surveying mission is over since we are going even deeper into space. I hope I’m not allergic to everything.

To be continued

Chapter 34: Day 58: Scar Tissue

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or review the last conversation. You are all fabulous and keep me happy and writing.

 

Several chapters ago, some of you were concerned with JoJo being forced to write to her aunt. Well, here’s the fallout. I have this feeling that this series is going to read better once it’s complete.

Also, there was a Freudian slip, that voice recognition software makes very easy, in the last chapter and no one caught it until it was posted. It was supposed to read no Captain has served as their own science officer. I’m in the process of fixing it everywhere as I post this.

Chapter Text

 

 

 

 

From: Legal Queen of Atlanta

To: LeonardUM

Subject: Thank you for the update

Time arrived: 4/19/2260 00:00:01

Dear Leonard:

 

Thanks for writing. Yes, I would love updates on what’s going on especially because I feel like I’m probably going to hear more from you than from my actual niece and I feel like I deserve that. I’m aware of a lot of my bad choices when it came to my sister.

 

Dad is still an asshole. And although my now former step mom took him to the cleaners, he still has enough money to get me another step mom. I met Kimber last week. I’m pretty sure she’s half my age. Why he doesn’t just hire a home healthcare worker instead of marrying trophy wives barely out of adolescence? It would be cheaper in the long run and significantly less creepy. We’re only a couple years off from the girls being Jojo‘s age. That is all types of gross.

 

I also spoke to Kevin Kirk and he really does have the hook up. For somebody who’s not even 20 yet, he’s quite insightful and a better friend for Jo Jo then most of her, I assume, former friends. If somebody sends you a Christmas present, you at least say thank you, even if you don’t celebrate which wasn’t the case with these ungrateful kids.

 

Don’t tell me to say hi to my niece when you can write her yourselves like you should, but won’t because I’m not even sure why they’re uncomfortable talking to her. Maybe it’s the dead mom thing or the name change or any number of things preteen still deal with that us as an adult don’t remember how. We think now that life was easier back then, but we are probably wrong. At least now we are clearly responsible for our own choices. Before, a lot of it was out of our hands.

 

You know I’m not that surprised at teenagers living on a starship are breaking into your office for alcohol and pills. This seems like most of the stupid stuff I did in college. You know rebelling against the tight yoke my asshole father had on me. Big sister got pregnant by somebody without a trust fund and I got stoned a lot. Then I got it together and she fell off the wagon and I was so busy with my own life that I didn’t see it.

 

I didn’t see it not until the vintage car was wrapped around the tree. Not until my niece was so damaged that she doesn’t even want to bear the name she was born with.

 

And I’m sorry for that. I should have gone to court. I should have paid for your lawyer myself. I should’ve openly took your side during the first custody hearing and then maybe we wouldn’t be here. Maybe my sister wouldn’t be dead, and my niece wouldn’t hate me. I don’t know. I’m sorry for the choices I made and for the choices I didn’t make. That seems hollow now in hindsight. You can’t change the past. What is done is done and all you can do is move forward. So how do we do that?

 

I don’t know. I sent like two boxes of Oreos, the giant boxes, and enough chocolate to last the family until at least Christmas. I don’t think that’s going to make up for what I did or I rather what I didn’t do. I didn’t do anything, I just watched the spiral. There’s not enough cookies and chocolate in the quadrant to make up for what I didn’t do. And I am just so sorry.

 

Xxx

From: Legal Queen of Atlanta

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Subject: I’m sorry, I’m sending Oreos

Time arrived: 4/19/2260 00:00:01

 

I’m sorry. I don’t know what really to say besides that. I spoke to your friend Kevin a couple of days ago about sending you a care package and he kind of went off on me. I like that friend. He is very protective of you. He’s a little bit older than you, but considering he is hopelessly in love with his girlfriend I am not that concerned. OK a little concerned because I tend to fall head over feet for all the wrong people. I’m sure you remember the disaster that was Heather. So many bad choices. I’m good at making bad choices, not so much at making the right ones.  

 

I’m sitting here staring at my PADD trying to figure out what to write to you. I know you’re hurting and I feel like it’s my fault because I knew something was wrong and I didn’t do anything. I should have. I should’ve got a lawyer and I should have sued your mom for custody, but I was too afraid of daddy taking her side. I should have got you out of there. And I didn’t.

 

I watched you suffer for years. I watched you go through a repeat of my own childhood and I knew it was happening. Maybe not explicitly, maybe not enough to convince a judge, but in my heart, I knew something was wrong and I didn’t fix it. Now my sister is dead. And I hate her so much and I love her too and…

 

I am literally crying right now. I am just…

I love you. I know I screwed up. I don’t know how to fix it. I wish I could.

 

I’m sorry.

 

PS: I’m sending a care package, a big one. I know it’s not going to make up for my previous shortcomings as your aunt, but everyone must start somewhere.

Xxxx    

 

From: LeonardUM

To: Legal Queen of Atlanta

Subject: Re: Thank you for the update

Time arrived: 4/19/2260 19:15:41

 

I feel like I need to say that if you did change the past, chances are you could end up in a worse future, possibly one where an entire species has been decimated to one percent of their original inhabitants and most of them still have sticks up their asses. So, there’s really no point in wishing you could change the past because there’s no guarantee that you could do any better even if you know what you did wrong. Sorry, all our current missions fall under the star mapping/exploration category, which means I have time to contemplate the greater meaning of the universe.

 

Hindsight is a weird thing sometimes. It can make you regret your past decisions, but it can also help you make better choices in the future and maybe that’s what you must focus on. I know that’s what I’m trying to do with my second committed relationship. I think it’s going much better.

 

Although Nyota does want to look at the email that Jojo sent you to elicit such a response. I won’t let her. Of course, part of that is if she looks at someone else’s email on ship and doesn’t have an actual need to know, Jim is probably going to reassign the entire family to Delta Vega. Three strikes and you’re out freezing your ass off. Maybe finding out what your teenage daughter said to her aunt might meet the threshold of need to know, but I don’t want to find out. As much as I would like to be on an actual planet again, that icebox is not it.

 

I want to send you the name of a good therapist in Atlanta because maybe it would help if you talk to somebody. Dr. Margarita recommended a Doctor Alexis Banks. You know it’s OK to love and hate someone. It’s OK to miss your sister. It’s not your fault that she wrapped your car around a tree. It’s not your fault that she was abusive to Jo Jo. I know you enough to know that you probably didn’t have enough evidence to convince a judge. I know you. If you thought you had chance of winning against the crooked system created by your dad, you would have tried. She had the drinking well hidden. You were there when we cleaned the house. The 30-proof punch in refrigerator. The little bottles hidden in strange places. No one outside of probably Jo Jo knew the truth until it was wrapped around the tree.

 

The other thing to keep in mind is you can’t save someone that doesn’t want to be saved. You can’t change people that don’t want to be changed. Most importantly, you are not responsible for the stupidity of others. Unfortunately, you were the only halfway smart one born in a family of morons. That is not your fault

 

As for JoJo, just let her be a 12-year-old right now. Let her get the anger out of her system. She needs to let it out. I’m sure she’ll send you a thank you email when the candy gets here. The girl has a sweet tooth. Although Dr. Margarita says not to force it, again and let Jo Jo write you again when she’s ready. So, it may be a while.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 35: Day 60: Family Group Therapy

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. It's now time for a diary chapter.

Warning: This chapter was written several weeks ago before, before recent events. There's a brief section that touches on Nyota's lingering issues related to her friend Marc's death.

Chapter Text

 


 

We had a family therapy session yesterday which is something we really haven't done since being on the ship. There hasn't been the need, not like those first few months after mom died. I feel like all I did was go to therapy, those first few weeks.

So why did we have to have a family session? My aunt is not okay. That was obvious from the letter she finally wrote me. Before I read that letter, I thought I would be happy if she was suffering, but I am not. I was scared for her to go like they did last time and I was worried enough that I told mommy Nyota and dad what she said, which led to emergency therapy. The day after. It would've been the same day, but Dr. Margarita was dealing with several people in crisis, probably some of the Ashleys. It is getting closer to the second anniversary of the Battle of Vulcan.

Although, because of mandatory family therapy, I'm kind of regretting telling them both about the letter. Mom and dad want to know what I wrote to her about before that was so bad it triggered that reaction, but I won't show them the letter and Dad and Dr. Margarita told mommy not to look. I'm glad they supported me on this.

Apparently mom is going to have to go to additional sessions due to past voyeurism issues and not respecting privacy like she should. Also, dad said that not everybody in the world is like Marc and she shouldn't use what happened to justify her behavior. I wanted to ask who Marc is, but I was afraid to especially because dad finished up their conversation with the phrase, "not everybody is suicidal".

Even though I am worried about my aunt, I'm still not ready to write to her directly or at all. Margarita says that I don't have to and told my parents not to force me again. I'm glad she's supporting me.

I'm starting to really like my therapist. She is there for me against the adults which is good because I've never really had that before. My aunt was supposed to be like that, but I think she was too afraid of mom and grandpa to really support me like she should have. Dr. Margarita is not afraid of anybody.

Also, I can trust her to keep what I tell her a secret like that crush I may or may not have on a certain 19-year-old. Also, she's not going to tell anybody why I am happy that that 19-year-old has time to start my Russian lessons again. It's a sexier language than most people think.

Hey, I'm a preteen, not a little kid so it's okay if I'm starting to get interested in boys or girls or whoever I want, according to Margarita. Although she does say I need to have realistic expectations. I think Dr. Margarita is just glad I'm interested in anything. I kind of wasn't right after my biological mom died. Besides, I'm aware nothing can happen until I reach the Federation age of consent at 18 and yes, I told Margarita which kind of made her happy. I think she thinks all this interest will disappear by then or I'll realize that the age gap is a little too much. Although considering my last step-grandmother was 45 years my granddad's junior and younger than even my aunt, what is six years?

Otherwise I feel like the doctor is wise. Dr. Margarita says I don't have to forgive my aunt for not getting me out of hell or keeping mom from wrapping her car around a tree. Although she does tell me repeatedly that the only person responsible for my mom wrapping her car around a tree was my mom. Margarita says I don't even have to talk to her until I'm ready and I'm not. Not right now. I'm not even sure how to start a conversation without screaming. There's a lot of anger that I need to work through.

Why didn't she get me out of there? Why didn't she at least try? And I'll get there or at least that's what the doctor promises, but I'm not sure. I guess I'll wait for the cookies. I hope there are the chocolate dipped Oreos. The good ones. I deserve dipped Oreos for everything. Okay, mom (Nyota) is calling me for breakfast, so I'll finish writing after class.


 

Okay, mommy Nyota did not ask me about the crush I may or may not have on Pavel, so I assume that dad was successful in not getting her to read my diary. I'm going to take that as a win and assume that anything I write in here will actually stay private. This is still better than with the last mom.

Classes were mostly okay today probably because the Ashleys are subdued and our teacher is leaving in June. I don't think she cares anymore and therefore Jeremy isn't even bothering to screw with her anymore. Apparently he doesn't like to torture us if we don't care about the torture. He's only doing it for the reaction.

I think the Ashleys are being less evil because we are getting closer to the anniversary of their parents' death which I get. My biological mom's birthday was hard, and I don't even want to think about Mother's Day, but hey at least I still have Nyota. Ashley three doesn't even have that. I'm also worried about how bad the anniversary is going to be for me and unlike the Ashleys, I don't have to deal with it being associated with a tragedy of unimaginable proportions.

It's also a difficult day for Uncle Spock. I can tell he's getting sadder even though Vulcans don't express emotions. That's obviously a lie.

I am concerned (about Spock and Ashley 2.), but not that concerned because at least they're not going to use my biological mom's favorite coping mechanism, consuming massive quantities of liquor. Well, Spock is not because Vulcans don't really drink and Ashley promised me that she wouldn't get wasted. The others I'm not sure because I really don't talk to them.

Although Mr. Scott says they're not breaking in to Engineering for the booze anymore, so I guess that's good. Yes, I know about the alcohol down in engineering because Uncle Scotty gives me good chocolate in exchange for not saying anything. I get bribed a lot on this ship.

To be continued.

Chapter 36: Day 62: Learning How to Mourn

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text


From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Subject: It is taking like a week for me to get these letters
Time arrived: 4/23/2260 00:00:01

April Fools’ Day just happened right before you wrote so it is taking at least a week for this to get to me. Considering how long it would sometimes take my wife to get messages from me, I am not surprised. The joys of long distance relationships in Starfleet. Thankfully, you came up with a creative solution to the two bodies problem.

Progress can be slow. You may not even notice it at first, but as time goes on, you’ll realize that you have made a difference in the lives of the children that you’re working with. Even if you don’t notice progress, you must keep trying. You were a very prickly child for years, but Alayna kept trying and now you’re a well-adjusted and productive member of society. I think she would be proud of who you’ve become. Just keep trying. You may not get to where you think you will, but you will get somewhere great.

Regarding the anniversaries, try not to focus on what you lost, but try to remember the person that you love. Focus on who they were and how they made your life better. Don’t focus on the loss. Remember the good days, not just the bad ones.

And trust me, I’ve realized that’s hard to do. I’ve been a widow for several years now and I will tell you that anniversaries are hard. It’s been years for me and yet the day that she died is usually the worst day of the year for me. It’s a sharp pain to the heart. It’s a piece of me that is missing. But each year, the pain gets a little less sharp.

Remembering the silly things about her, like the board games that she loved to play with the kids or the paintings on the wall, puts a smile on my face. Do you remember all the crazy band posters she used to have? Those things were everywhere. Also, remember her obsession with post-its? Our refrigerator was covered in them. I don’t even know how she managed to keep finding paper post-it’s, but she used to put them all over the house. I still have her sweater. I take it with me everywhere. It’s in my office, even though I am now working in a place where the low temperature is 30° Celsius on a cool day. My tan is awesome right now by the way.

My suggestions for the anniversary of Amanda‘s death is to do something good for Spock that reminds him of his mom. A happy memory not a sad one. Maybe make a favorite recipe of hers that he absolutely adores. Do something nice. Make sure he has a good day.

I would also almost suggest sending a cookie bouquet to your father-in-law, but I’m not sure that you can get anything with chocolate delivered here. I’ve been trying to get truffles for months and it’s not happening. I seriously need some chocolate.

For the anniversary of Chris’s death in June, well, that one’s a little easier. Little Miss Sulu happens to have that day as her birthday, I think. You remember how much it sucked having your birthday coincide with a major event in Federation history. So, make sure she has better. The best thing to do is make sure the generation that comes after us has better than what we had. That’s the best you can do.

So, have you found a new instructor yet for the kids? Also, if hair dye and missing eyebrows are the worst they did, then I wouldn’t worry too much. Okay, I think I would get them chocolate because they deserve chocolate for that.

I would worry about the crew member who tried to kill his ex girlfriend. Domestic violence is something that our society has yet to deal with, despite all our other advancements. But we keep trying. I guess it’s part of our desire to try to make the next generation better than ours. Anyway, let me know how the anniversary goes.

I wish you peace and hope.

PS: I know you know that Father’s Day is an emotional landmine for you, but Mother’s Day is too for some. Since Vulcans don’t celebrate Mother’s Day, I’m sure you didn’t think about it, with Spock last year. But with JoJo, it might be a lot more complicated. Keep that in mind.
Xxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Re: It is taking like a week for me to get these letters
Time sent: 4/23/2260 22:04:01

This letter showed up on April 23, so more than a week. Baby Sulu somehow lucked out and Sue didn’t technically deliver until the day after Chris died. So, yay for that. But even then, I would make sure she has a good day and doesn’t have to associate with the fact that if she didn’t come early, her grandmother probably would’ve been killed in the attack too.

Things with the teenagers have been getting better, mostly. They’re being less bratty after the April Fools’ Day punishments except for Jeremy because he’s Jeremy and that situation feels hopeless. I don’t know how to help somebody that doesn’t want to help themselves. All the other kids are self-aware. Jeremy is just angry and wants to blame everyone else.

Pike-- Nhi is working on the teacher thing. I haven’t heard from her for a while, so fingers crossed that she found somebody competent. We lose our current instructor in June when we have our shore leave at the brand-new Yorktown facility. It’s so new that we’re bringing supplies.

I decided that the hubby and the Ashleys are going to have a cooking day. Or at least that’s the plan. Although, we’ll be surveying a planet at the time so we shall see. Anyway, I received a bunch of Amanda’s recipes from my father-in-law, so we’re going to work on that. So, diplomats can get stuff here faster than you can. Who knew? Also, Amanda’s blondies were fabulous when she didn’t get distracted and burn them. Apparently, her cooking skills were mixed.

Sam’s anniversary is today, so kudos on your email arriving at just the right day. I am OK. I got a lot of cuddles and other more adult things from my husband, so it helped take the edge of. I miss my brother. It feels even worse knowing that in the other timeline, he got married and had children. Don’t get other Spock drunk on chocolate. He talks too much.

At the same time, if things were the same as in the other timeline, I wouldn’t have Kevin and I love my baby brother to pieces. He is being invaluable with dealing with the teenagers and with Jojo. Apparently, even Bones’s former sister-in-law respects him. She’s a little afraid of him, but she respects him.

I don’t think I want to experience a reality where Kevin is just another crew member. Maybe the universe really does bring balance to itself. I shouldn’t focus on what’s lost, but on what’s gained. I’m going to try anyway. I will let you know how things go.

PS: I think JoJo is going to try to focus on making Mother’s Day good for Nyota. Apparently, I’ve been enlisted to get a gift for her. That should be fun.
To be continued

Chapter 37: Day 65: Sorry for Procrastinating

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Mommy_Susan

 

To: SuluHG2260

 

Time arrived: 4/26/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: So I haven’t talked to my sister yet about being Desi’s guardian exactly

 

Actually maybe you could hold off on talking to Liz or Kevin about taking care of Desi long term for a little while. I wanted to wait until you gave me a hard yes before I directly approach both of them about the possibility. Although considering how long it took me to get your message, I bet you already sent them a letter. I haven’t been informed yet about anything arriving, so maybe I will be able to broach the subject with my sister before she reads it in your letter. Something tells me no.

 

I’m glad that you’re at least investigating the possibility and I promise that I will verify everybody carefully. I’ve heard secondhand Frank stories and trust me, I’m terrified of anything like that happening to Damora. Kevin doesn’t know everything that happened with the asshole, but he knows enough and well I am so never ever getting married. The only step daddy our baby is getting is Ben. Not all of us can find the love of our life at a support group. Sometimes we end up with Franks and Franks are assholes who are so bad they get murdered in prison.

 

Did I ever tell you that I was Cynthia Williams’ CO, Ashley 2’s mom, when she almost killed her boyfriend for raping her daughter? Actually that’s part of the reason why she wasn’t kicked out of Starfleet. I had mom pull some strings because apparently our code of conduct doesn’t cover angry mom reactions to bad life choices. But I would’ve done it too, if someone hurt my baby like that.

 

Although I haven’t broached it with my sister yet, I did talk to my mom about custody options. She is actually on board with the Kevin and Liz arrangement. She might even pull some strings so they’re in the same apartment building as her. That way she can keep an eye on them. She’s the head of Starfleet, if she wants her cadet daughter and her boyfriend in her building she will get what she wants. Her predecessors spent money on much, much worse. The Admiral could totally pull this off.

 

They could try to live in the same apartment, but that would just be bad for everyone involved and I think mom likes to pretend that Kevin and Liz are not having sex yet. She misses the old days when they were just dancing around each other and completely ignoring the fact that they’ve been in love with each other since Kevin shared his rations with her. Considering what they were going thru at the time, that was true love.

 

So this is another reminder to write your cuddle bug. Although she loves the daddy bear reading stories to her in your voice, I think she wants another letter. Of course, maybe you have written to her and due to the email system being the way it is, the letter will probably show up in another week. So, if that’s the case, sorry for this berating.

 

Other updates: It’s been three weeks with the new playgroup and I am still not drinking to survive the other parents. Actually I like these people, which is why there has been a little drinking outside of playgroup. Ben and I have been invited to multiple no kids’ happy hours at Purple Haze and Weston club and we said yes. I love the tops at Purple Haze and the margaritas are awesome, so you know I’m going to say yes. Especially because we have babysitters. Babysitters are awesome.

 

Kevin and Liz watched both kids and nothing bad happened. OK, baby K is walking and getting into everything, but that is to be expected and they handled it. See, even your boyfriend will let his kids stay with my sister and her boyfriend while we go clubbing. OK, not clubbing because I’m too old for that. Now it’s drinks and appetizers without the kids because single parenthood is too exhausting for clubbing and I still must tuck Desi in at night.

 

I’d never thought one small child would be more difficult than being a first officer, but I was wrong. At the same time, I’m just dreading going back to the Hamilton. I’m sure the missing her is going to get worse as the mission goes on. Right now I’m just trying to write my finals, mentally preparing myself for being mom’s arm candy at the Remembrance Day celebration, and packing. Maybe if I keep focusing on work, I will forget about how lonely it’s going to be when I go back to being in space full time.

Anyway, please write back whenever this arrives.

 

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

 

To: Mommy_Susan

 

Time sent: 4/26/2260 00:05:32

 

Subject: Okay. We are really starting to get far out here.

 

Even though Jim has only raised a Kevin, I think he would agree with you, but hey at least Kevin turned out okay. Personally I’m not so sure. Although I am just a second officer, my boss and his husband are driving me a little crazy and they haven’t even done any really stupid stuff yet.

 

Although, we’re in transit to our surveying mission and I just have a feeling that’s going to not be some simple planet surveying. Unfortunately, I’m not going to get to go down and play because we now have a fungus expert on ship to do the plant stuff and Pavel won the coin toss for the other spot. If things go well during the initial inspection, I might get to go with team three. I feel like we won’t get that far.

 

I don’t know why, but I just have this feeling that this could go badly like volcano exploding badly. Possibly, Jim violating the Prime Directive again, badly. There’s so much potential for it to go badly that personally I think I prefer our small child. But maybe that’s because Jim is childlike, sometimes.

 

Yes, it’s definitely taking a while for these messages to get to you. I sent a letter to Desi the next day, so I hope it has already arrived or at least arrives soon. I also sent a letter to your sister and future brother-in-law that day so, sorry. Although, since you didn’t get Desi’s letter, maybe that means that you still have time to talk to her before the letters show up. I haven’t heard back yet, but I did send your letter first.

 

After thinking about it for a couple of weeks, I am more open to the idea of Liz and Kevin taking care of the baby especially if your mom is going to be in the same complex, and therefore nearby to keep an eye on things. And it’s probably best that there is at least some distance. I don’t think all of them together in a Starfleet apartment would go well. Like I think security would have to be called multiple times. That would not be good.

 

The rumor mill is already being the rumor mill so she might as well be doing what she’s being accused of. There always going to be some who talk shit about people. I’m already hearing various rumors about my promotion. Although then again these are the same people that think Jim was captain last time because he sucked Pike’s dick. Assholes. All of them can get fucked.

 

Thanks to that little bit of colorful language, I will write another letter for baby girl. You can’t read this to her.

 

Also I want to talk about more grown-up things in this letter, like the Ashley situation. I mean, I knew something bad happened, but I knew she was mostly comfortable around me because I identify as gay. I didn’t realize it was that awful. Now I’m perfectly okay with her attacking all the practice dummies in the genital area. I really hope the fencing gear is already at Star base 36 waiting for us. It will be a couple more weeks before we can actually pick it up because we’re going to be here at least two weeks investigating the planet, once we actually get there, if nothing goes wrong. You know something will go wrong because it’s Starfleet.

 

I definitely want to know more about your adventures with the other parents. Glad you’re doing happy hour. Also a little sad that you get to go on more dates with my boyfriend then I do. At the same time I’m glad he’s going out. We’re getting closer to the anniversary of Zack‘s death and I don’t want him to get lost in that this year. I really wish I could be there with him so he doesn’t go into the dark place. I want him to know that he is loved and cared for. I am just worried and scared.   

 

I’m well aware I’m the second love of his life. I also know deep down that if things did not go so badly in this timeline, we probably would’ve never even met. He would’ve been living the rest of his life with Zach. But then I fucked up and here we are. So, I met this great guy who I love, and I feel guilty about because if I would’ve did my fucking job correctly, he wouldn’t have even been available. Guilt is a weird thing.

 

Anyway, hugs and kisses to all my girls. Show my boy an enjoyable time and if you get him to do body shots, I expect pictures.

 

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

 

To: Mommy_Susan

 

Time sent: 4/26/2260 6:08:01

 

Subject: Daddy Loves You

 

Hey baby girl, how’s everything in San Francisco. I wrote you a couple weeks ago, but apparently your mommy hasn’t got the email yet because email is evil when you’re this far out. Sorry baby.

 

I keep hearing that your new playgroup is good for mommy? Is it good for you? Have you made new friends or are you and baby K just the best BFFs ever. I’m assuming the latter.

 

 So what’s this I hear about Liz and Kevin babysitting you? So mommy has a life again. Apparently tapis were involved. Since I’ve mostly been eating replicator food for the last couple of months, I’m a little jealous. If you think most peas taste awful, replicated peas are so much worse. It’s just not right.

 

I really hope your mom included some chocolate with the fencing gear. I’ve already gone through my stash and I’m not sure if I will be able to purchase any more when we get to the Star base. Hopefully the gear will be waiting there as well. We should be going in a couple weeks because we had to drop off a prisoner because he did something you’re too young to know about. When you’re old enough to date, promise me you won’t date idiots. Promise your daddy that.

 

Jim mentioned something about Liz and Kevin taking you to an amusement park to keep you nice and innocent. Is that true? Something about Princess land or Knottsberry Disney. Somebody better send me pictures. I think Ben would be adorable surrounded by Disney princesses. Milan is the best. Remember that.

 

Anyway love you butterfly kisses. I hope this one shows up this time.

 

To be continued

Chapter 38: Day 67: Thank you for stepping up

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all wonderful.
Please note: It is my hope that by the 23rd century, the term widow is no longer a gendered word. In the story I’m using it to describe men and women who have lost a spouse.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: Re: IOU so much chocolate and foot rubs right now

Time arrived: 4/28/2260 00:00:01

Thanks for writing. I miss you, especially this time a year although Sue and her sister have been helping. It is a lot easier to deal with everything when you have friends that won’t let you wallow, especially new friends that don’t remind me of Zack so that’s good. Did Sue mention that the new play group is going great? Even though I’m just a Starfleet widower, they’ve really embraced me. There have been lunches and dinners without kids and copious amounts of alcohol not smuggled into ice tea. That’s a great improvement.

I’ve been making friends. A few in the group actually knew Zach from before. Jackie shared a bathroom back at the Academy with Zach. Although, she was still going by Jack at the time. Apparently he never got the concept of not leaving towels on the floor. I like that her stories are not making me sad, but actually make me laugh. I think that’s progress.

Other than dates with you, I think this is really the first time I’ve really been getting out. It helps that Sue's sister doesn’t make snarky comments when I asked her to babysit. Zach’s parents were never that nice, which is why I hated asking them and appreciate finding out I still qualify for Starfleet day care, as a widow’s benefit.

So, the fact that I happily let Liz and Kevin watch my daughter pretty much tells you that yes, I endorse them for long term childcare duty. They are definitely better at taking care of her then her grandparents. I can totally understand why you’re stressed about this. It’s a big decision, but don’t worry, I will be around to keep an eye on Desi. Our kids can’t spend that much time away from each other. The other parents in the playgroup refer to them as sisters already. It’s kind of cute.

So Liz is kind of a sweetheart and understands a lot of what I’m going through. I’m kind of considering her a friend already despite the age difference. Are you aware that her family died a few years ago in some major catastrophe and that’s why she was adopted by Admiral Chen. I know her family along with Kevin were on the Tarsus colony when things went badly. I gather that whatever happened was worse than what the media knew.

I think that’s why they’ve invited me to an amusement park on Remembrance Day. The worst thing I’m going to have to deal with is a moment of silence in remembrance of all the Vulcans and Starfleet personnel who lost their lives that day two years ago. I think I can handle that better at an amusement park then I can handle a Starfleet event with my former in-laws. They’re pissed at me for not going, but I really don’t care. I don’t want nor need to stand in front of the newly completed memorial to mourn my husband as the cameras roll on. I do that every day when I see my old wedding ring in the box. I do every day when I look at our daughter and he’s not here to see her grow up.

And before you start writing your letter to me, please don’t blame yourself for what happened. First, Zach was probably dead before Enterprise got anywhere near Vulcan. It was a trap. I’m only pissed off at the one who set the trap. Yeah it’s not your fault. Sometimes bad things just happen. You can wallow or you can move on and I’m moving on.

Anyway, only about a month and a half until I get to see you again. I am counting down the days already and picking out luggage. It turns out my one and a half-year-old does need her own luggage. I have been approved for the time off from work. Even though I’m going to be gone for over three weeks due to the amount of time it’s going to take to travel to you, my leave was fully approved. Mostly because the last vacation I took involved attending my husband’s funeral. Thankfully, my supervisor believes I deserve some real time off.
Anyway, love you.
Xxxxx
From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: SulxuHG2260

Time arrived: 4/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Do you really want to have your niece living with you for a year?

OK your letter beat my sister by like an hour, but I pretended that I didn’t know so I think you’re in the clear. I am sorry that your sisters did not want to be responsible for Desi because they have issues, or you know are self-centered. I mean I am a full-time student and I’m working part time, and still I’m completely willing to rearrange everything around because she is my little niece. Of course I’m going to make sure she is OK with my big sister millions of miles away on the Hamilton. That’s what aunts do.

I mean I always assumed that I would be doing babysitting duty when mom had her. I was even considering moving back home to help out although I do like the idea of a separate apartment because I don’t think I can send Kevin back to the dorms by himself. If one more person says something stupid about Jim, I’m probably going to have to break out the bail money. Kevin is very protective of his big brother and I can understand. I mean Winona was technically his mom but I think Jim was the one who really raised him because, well, none of us were okay after what happened to us on that planet.

If you’re really OK with it, we will come up with a plan. Baby girl comes first. I don’t have to work. I do have a very large trust fund. The Federation gives you a lot of money to not talk about a certain fuck up. I mean at least 20% of it has gone to therapy, but I can afford not to work for a semester or two. I was mostly doing it for the experience and free appetizers. Starfleet cafeteria food is awful and I say that as somebody who has lived through a famine and ate tree bark. I was already considering it because of Winona duty. Kevin is going to do his semester on ship later, possibly next summer and Sue should be back by then. If not, I think Desi will be almost self-sufficient, at that point. Maybe she’ll already be potty trained and fighting me about wardrobe choices.

Also, Kevin, unlike his brother, is taking the academy at a normal speed. Sometimes I think Jim is crazy to try to get out in three years, but then again, I kind of think that he was trying to get out before Kevin would arrive at the Academy because being at the same school as your big brother would be a little awkward. I on the other hand can actually ease up on my class load a little bit because I am a bit ahead, thanks to taking some Academy classes when I was still in high school.

Also other than Kevin being Admiral Pike’s intern this summer, we didn’t have that much planned. So we can do more playgroup and child focused activities. We could even take the baby to the farm in Iowa for a little while. I think Kevin and Winona are trying to figure out what to do with it. Apparently someone wants to buy it and turn it into a museum/B&B. They’re considering it because Winona is realizing that she’s healthier being in San Francisco than wallowing in Iowa

I do understand that this is a hard decision for you. I hated being left behind by my parents when they would go on missions which was why I was so happy they were letting me go with them to Tarsus and well, you know how that turned out. So maybe it’s better to keep your kids in the hands of someone you trust and I’m going to work very hard to be that person.

Kevin is as well. I’m sure Kevin and I received excellent marks from Jim. Jim was Kevin‘s main parental figure growing up so I think he will be OK. Let me know your decision. I’ll be a team player no matter what’s decided. Kevin too.

Kevin also says please keep an eye on his brother and keep him from being an idiot. He knows that an away mission is coming. And so is naturally apprehensive because his big brother has a dying problem.

Xxx
From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: RE: IOU so much chocolate and foot rubs right now

Time sent: 4/28/2260 06:23:41

I think it’s going to be hard for me not to blame myself especially as the anniversary approaches and I know that you’re hurting personally. Maybe over time it will get better, but the human heart is nowhere near as logical as it should be. I also hate seeing you in pain and I know your heart is heavy right now. Glad that memories of Zach are making you laugh again, instead of cry.

Although I am glad to hear that you trust Kevin and Liz with your daughter. Also I am happy that you’re giving them reasons to babysit. I’m glad that you made new friends. You deserve to be happy. After thinking about it for a few weeks, I have decided that I am going to let Liz and Kevin keep Damora while Sue is on the Hamilton. Apparently, the Admiral is going to arrange for them to be close to her, so she can keep an eye on them which makes me even less apprehensive about the prospect. There will definitely be nepotism charges and jokes levied around, but that was probably going to happen no matter what because there’s too many dicks at the Academy. Way too many.

And sorry about the in-laws. I would like to say that my family will be better, but I’m sure you know better by now, considering you were there when my sisters told Sue no about taking care of Desi.

I know that the in-laws want you to be miserable with them or maybe they just want baby cuddles, but you have no obligation to be there and neither does the baby. Your emotional well-being is the most important thing. You can always bring the baby over to their house later. Again you have to protect yourself. Self-care is important.

I am kind of sad we’re not doing the Star base remembrance ceremony because that would mean I could call you, but I think for the sake of my captain, it’s probably best we’re on our way to a deep space exploring mission and therefore could not be somewhere where he would have to participate. He is less inclined to mourn in public then you. Last year wasn’t good for him and this year I expect it to be worse, especially with the Ashleys.

All three of them lost parents in the battle. One girl actually lost both parents during the battle. I think Jim wants to make Starfleet orphan club T-shirts. Sometimes my first officer has very poor taste. I’m hoping my captain puts his foot down, but you never know with those two.

Anyway, write me back whenever you get this. Love you, miss you always.

From: SulxuHG2260

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 4/28/2260 6:43:01

Subject: Thank you for stepping up.

Thank you for being better than my sisters. I don’t want to talk about what’s going on with those two. That’s probably something best dealt with the next time I see them in person, which will probably be in about five years or longer. Maybe the Christmas after I come back, if I’m not already on another mission. Although I think I’m totally taking a teaching assignment for a few years after this. I want to spend some time planet side with my kid.

I’m glad that you’re willing to take care of my daughter. Not only willing, but willing to rearrange things so it will work out better. You have no idea how happy I am for that. I’m crying a little bit. So yes, tell your sister that she can send the forms up and I’ll sign.

Also I want to say thank you for watching out for Ben. As we get closer to the anniversary of Zach’s death, I’m more concerned. Not because I think my boyfriend is still in love with his dead husband because I know he’s still in love with his dead husband, but that’s okay. The human heart doesn’t have a finite amount of love to give. You can love more than one person. I just don’t want Ben to be overwhelmed with grief. And I think your amusement park plan might do that this year so thank you for just being there for him when I can’t be. Long distance relationships are hard, but I think it’s worth it. Ben is worth it.
Anyway, thank you again for taking care of my family when I’m on duty.
To be continued

Notes:

Please note, that because I’m going on vacation there will probably not be any updates next week but I will post a chapter once I get back.

Chapter 39: Day 71: In memory of what we lost

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all wonderful.

So, today’s a distressing day for Spock because it is the second anniversary of his mother’s death, along with the destruction of his home planet. It’s an equally awful day for Ben and the Ashleys, because of everything they lost.

 

A/N: Memory Alpha does not list an exact date for the destruction of Vulcan. This is odd because pretty much every other major event in the KTL has an exact date, but the destruction of Vulcan only has a year listed. If the data is not on memory Alpha, then chances are it was never established in canon. Even those who write Star Trek trust that site. Therefore, for this story Amanda died on May 2.

 

Chapter Text

 

 

 

Dear Spock Bear:

I know today is going to be a sad day for you. I had my difficult day last week, one of them anyway. But today is your bad, “oh God, I hate this” day. So, I am going to do everything in my power to make sure you’re not miserable today. Pretty much impossible. But you know I don’t believe in no-win scenarios.

 

Have I apologized yet this morning for my total dick move of saying that you didn’t love your mom, two years ago tomorrow. That was a completely dick move. Granted its sort of lead to us getting accidentally Vulcan married, but still a very dick move. I’m sorry, snuggle Vulcan.

 

I know you love your mom. I know that you love greatly because I have experienced that love firsthand and the entire ship told me about what happened last June. I know that these last two years have been hard for you especially those first few months. I’m glad that I’ve been able to help you not forget what happened, because you never really forget, but to keep moving forward.

 

As we move forward together, that doesn’t mean that we must completely let go of our pasts. Amanda will always be part of you. She is your compassion. She is your love. She is your humanity. She makes you the person I love and even though she is no longer with us, she lives in you. You are her legacy.

.

You know I cried on Sam’s day. You held my hand and give good head as I tried to muddle through. And I have a feeling that you’re probably going to do the same thing next month on Chris’ day. So today I pay that forward and it includes more than this morning’s bedroom activities. Although I’m sure you really enjoyed your wakeup call this morning. Thank God we are only doing scans of our current solar system because a red alert would have totally ruined everything.

 

So here is the deal, today you are off duty for the next 24 hours. Don’t argue, Rodriguez approved it weeks ago. Again, we are mostly doing scanning and creating a more detailed map of solar system XYZ four and three. I can’t wait until they come up with a better name. I can totally make sure that doesn’t go badly. I mean the worst thing that will happen is there will be a fight among the scientists to see who will be on team one even though I decided that months ago. Sorry, fungus expert beats weapons expert when I’m sure we will not run in to a situation that will require weapons. Although, watch me be wrong.

 

Also, now as your Acting captain and husband, I know that you can’t take being bored. Bones said you drove the hospital staff a little crazy last June. I’m not even surprised. So, I’m not even going to suggest you take the day completely off. That would just go badly for everyone. Also, on a day like today that will just leave your mind open to focus on things you are not ready to which we don’t want.

 

So, your mission for today if you choose to accept it is baking with the Ashleys in preparation for tonight’s Remembrance of that. Yes, we’re having one, but not the fake thing that Starfleet puts on. For one thing we’ll have more cookies. We’ll also share stories about those we lost. If we were able to go to that Star base before traveling to the middle of nowhere, we would have alcohol to go with the cookies as well as no one in our brig. However, we will just have to make do with the baked goods. I can’t wait until our cannabis is ready. I already have the cookbook ready.

 

I chose the three Ashleys as your assistants because one, they need to stay busy, and two, this is an exhausting day for them because this is also the anniversary of their parents’ deaths. Ashley 3 lost both parents that day. Dr. Sanchez is actually her mom‘s younger sister, so yeah this is going to be a sucky day for everyone. But you’re going to make it better with cookies and Blondies and any other type of sugary thing you guys can cook today. Sorry you’re going to have to use the no egg modifications to the recipes but considering all your mom‘s recipes were already modified for vegans and vegetarians, I think you’ll be OK.

 

Share stories, reminisce, or scream. I don’t recommend punching things. You can although not in the kitchen. We can totally do breath play tonight if you need to let off some steam. Hey, at least we do safe words now.

 

Anyway, love you

Xxx

 

“Why am I cooking with the Ashleys?” Spock asked as soon as James left the shower. Yes, he was still only wearing a towel and Spock appreciated the visual, especially after their early morning activities.

 

“Because as I mentioned in my note I don’t think you can take a staycation.” Jim said as he kissed Spock quickly before dropping his towel.

 

“What is a staycation?” Spock asked.

 

“That tells me right there, why you can’t have one. If I could get away with locking us both in here for 24 hours, it would be a sex marathon, but somebody must run the ship. So, I know you well enough to know that you would go nuts with nothing to do, but read or reorganize the closet.”

 

“I sincerely doubt that.”

 

“Okay, we also need to keep the Ashleys from causing total chaos. We all know, today is going to be a sad day for the Ashleys. Being a good acting Captain, I’m going to deal with all my problems at once, so you’re going to Ashleys sit. And they are going to cook.” James said as he moved over to their joint closet.

 

“I’m still questioning the logic of this.”

 

“Question away, but as I mentioned, we kind of need refreshments for our remembrance ceremony today, so why not make them.”

 

“I don’t remember authorizing a remembrance ceremony.” Spock tells his husband. “I dislike them immensely.”

 

“The fact that you just acknowledged that tells me that, but you did agree to it. A week ago.” James says as he grabbed his shirt. Spock was slightly disappointed as he put it on.

 

“We were engaging in coitus at the time?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I thought we agreed not to discuss important work-related things during sexual activities.”

 

“Sorry boo, we run a starship together. We must multitask. Otherwise we would never have time for sex.” Spock responded with a slight glare only partially because James is putting on his underwear.

 

“I know you dislike the Starfleet dog and pony show and that’s fine because I dislike the Starfleet dog and pony shows. I’m glad that our guardian angel at the Admiralty made sure we wouldn’t have to go this year. At the same time, I feel like we all need a real remembrance of our friends and family that we lost.”

 

“Which is a good idea although I wish you would have not asked me while we were engaging in sexual activities.”

 

“Duly noted.”

 

“Although, why are we baking?”

 

“Again, leaving the Ashleys unoccupied would be dangerous. Nothing can make an already awful situation worse than replicated cookies. So, you are going to take the Ashleys to the kitchens and supervise,” Jim tells his husband as he puts on his pants.

 

“And Amanda‘s recipes?” Spock asked.

 

“Are the best for baking in deep space.” Spock raises an eyebrow at has husband.

 

“I want you to focus on good memories about your mom like eating her cookies after an absolutely awful day of school where you barely avoided knocking various assholes unconscious. I know it’s impossible but try not to focus on those last few moments. Think of all the good moments that happened before hand. Cherish those good moments with the Ashleys. Let the girls share those moments with you.”

    

“Did Margarita recommend this?” Spock asked his husband.

 

“Suarez actually, and only indirectly. But Margarita approves although she probably would be mad about me asking you to do it during sex. But it was for a worthy cause.” James said as he sat on the bed beside Spock and grabbed his hand.

 

“Will it just be me and the three Ashleys today?”

 

“I think Margarita will come by at some point and possibly Nyota after shift. This isn’t the best day for her either. This is the anniversary of her losing her previous best friend, the second time that happened. I tried to give her the day off as well, but she is more stubborn than you are. Unfortunately, I can’t use sex as an incentive or distraction for her.” James said just before kissing Spock again.

 

“So, you were going to use sexual favors to convince me not to work today?” Spock asked pulling away from the kiss.

      

“Well it worked so well with getting you to agree to do the ceremony in the first place.” James smirked at him. “I did consider it, but I think that you’re aware that you’re emotionally compromised today so the best captain thing you can do is help your crew get through this difficult day even if it is by baking. I will keep the ship running. Again, it’s a lot of scanning and data collecting. The first landing party doesn’t go down until tomorrow. I can definitely run the ship today without you.” James tells him.

 

“I believe that is an accurate assessment.”

 

“Does that mean you agree to baking therapy with the Ashleys?” James asked.

 

“If I say no, I assume that breath play will be off the table?”

 

“Totally off the table.” James said with a smirk.

 

“Then I agree to what you refer to as baking therapy.” James responded by kissing him.

 

“Thank you and if I didn’t need to be on the bridge in 20 minutes, I would totally do more than that.”

 

“Oh, by the way, at 4 PM our time, you have a video call with your dad. Being an ambassador has its perks.”

 

“Therefore, whatever we bake first will contain chocolate.”

 

“Excellent idea, my cuddle Vulcan.” James said as he kissed Spock on the nose.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 40: Day 72: How We Move Forward

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last set of messages. This was originally part of the last chapter but then I realized that Spock would be so busy with the remembrance ceremony and Jim that he probably wouldn’t write anything else that day. However, I totally see him writing these notes at around 4 AM because Spock does need less sleep than his husband, but he enjoys the cuddling. Spock is a secret cuddler.

 

Chapter Text

 


 

Dear James:

 

Thank you James for knowing what I need when even I do not. Yesterday went much better than expected. The exercise was cathartic and yes, there was actual crying for everyone involved except myself, but only because I prefer not to cry in front of anybody but you. Ashley three started crying while placing the cookies for the reception.

 

I did share a few stories about Amanda. Most of them involving small fires and preparations for diplomatic visits. I still do not understand how my mother’s baked goods tasted so good but were burnt so often. I think it may have something to do with the oven’s temperature controls being written in Vulcan. My mom was a talented linguist and could speak multiple languages; however, written Vulcan was slightly more difficult to fully grasp.

 

It was good to focus on positive memories or more accurately not painful memories. The Ashleys also shared various anecdotes. Today I found out that Ashley 2’s father was one of my instructors at the Academy. He was the one who severely punished several of my classmates for the various racial/xenophobic slurs hurled at me when I first arrived at the Academy. Thanks to his actions during my first year, I believe I had a pleasanter experience at the Academy then I did during my Vulcan primary education.

 

He was also multi species, so he understood. Ashley 2 started to cry when I shared that story but Margarita and Nyota reassured me that they were happy tears. I am still trying to completely understand that concept.

 

Although I’m still displeased that you used sex to get me to agree to doing some sort of remembrance ceremony. I am not displeased with the actual results. I think it was for the betterment of the crew that we do take a moment to remember those that we lost. It’s better to embrace it, then try to lock it away and pretend that it does not hurt. I am trying to learn that balance with you.

 

Your speech was tasteful and appropriate. I observed that 47% of the crowd was crying at that point. I also regret that you never met Amanda. She would have found you endearing. Mostly I think she would have been happy that I found someone who loves me as deeply as you do.

 

Yes I did speak with my father. Thank you for authorizing the video call because I do not believe a letter was sufficient especially on this day. He is well but he does miss my mother.

Actually it is more than that. He feels guilty because he is among the living, and she is not. Despite the illogical nature of it, he still questions why he survived, and she did not. I am not certain that will ever cease.

 

Regardless, he is adjusting to his new life on the colony and a new position that will allow him to actually spend more time on the colony. Now that they do not need to procure aid from other Federation nations to rebuild, the government is shifting its focus back to the colony, which means my father is less needed as a diplomat and more as a local community leader.

 

Due to the fact he no longer needs to travel as much as he did during the first two years, he is considering becoming a foster parent again. There are still many young Vulcan children living in group homes on the colony. My parents were foster parents before, but thanks to post Kelvin prejudice, Michelle only lived with us for a brief time before being adopted by a family on Earth. He believes the endeavor will be more successful at this time. I am not completely sure why he is choosing this avenue instead of utilizing a gestational carrier as we discussed previously, but I am certain there is a reason for his decision to reverse course.

 

PS: Do we consider today an anniversary of ours?

Xxxxxx

Dear Amanda:

 

Yesterday was the second anniversary of your death, but in all honesty today is the anniversary of when I truly absorbed it. It took nearly killing my future husband for me to even acknowledge your loss. Two years later, I am still angry that you are not here with me. I spoke with father today at length. I feel that he misses you immensely, even though he does not verbalize such feelings. I could discern this in the way he reminisced and laments the fact that most images of you are lost. I am still surprised that he never asked for your necklace back now.

 

Obviously, the fact that I am calling father voluntarily is an apparent sign that our relationship has improved greatly in these last two years. I only wish it did not take losing you for us to get over our previous animosity. I wish that I could still call you. I would appreciate your advice on how to deal with the three young ladies on the ship named Ashley, who also lost parents the same day I lost you. I don’t think that longing to talk to you will ever go away. I do not wish it too.

 

I regret that you are not around to see what my life has become. I’m sure you would be proud of the fact that I’m now a Captain. You would probably be even more proud of the fact that I found a true friend and lover in James. He made me see the logic in love. He made sure that I would not be overwhelmed by emotions yesterday. I will not forget that.

 

In closing, I just want to say that I love you. I apologize for not vocalizing that nearly enough when you were alive, but I believe that you knew the true depth of my regard for you. You will be part of my heart.

 


 

Dear Spock:

You should not make me cry over my cereal but you did. You’re so illogically sentimental that it’s adorable. And a little heartbreaking as well.

I’m not surprised that your dad feels guilty. Survivor guilt absolutely sucks. I got it the worst when I found out that in the other timeline, Sam lived a lot longer because I was the one that went to Tarsus. Sam still had a tragic death, but there’s a difference between dying in your teens and dying in your 30s.

 

I don’t think the guilt goes away entirely, but that’s what the therapy is for. We should totally do a couple session when I get back. Or maybe once we’ve wrapped up this assignment. Wish me luck on the successful away mission this morning.

 

Love you.

PS: No I’m not counting this as another anniversary, because we already have a human wedding date and a Vulcan ceremony day. No need to add a third day to remember.

To be continued

 

Chapter 41: Day 75: My Captain Is Driving Me Crazy, Help!

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 5/06/2260 00:00:01

Subject: So, I am going with my sister

 

Yes, your letter did get to my sister before I was able to talk to her, but she was nice enough to act like she didn’t already know. So, unlike your sibs, she is already rearranging things to be a stay at home pseudo-mom this summer. She even resigned from the restaurant. There are play groups and story hours already scheduled along with play dates as well as early education classes.

 

When my sister goes for something, she really goes all out. She is going to be one of those moms. That doesn’t surprise me because we had one of those moms. I wonder when the ballet and violin classes will start. Hopefully not until I get back.

 

Shawn has drawn up the papers and I have attached them here. You’ll need to sign electronically and get them back to us as soon as you can which will probably be two or three weeks because I heard you guys are in deep deep space, so you can avoid the May 2 festivities. Although by the time you read this the anniversary will probably be long past. How deep in space are you?

 

My kid is going to hang out in an amusement park with princesses and I get to deal with a Starfleet dog and pony show. It’s probably going to be worse now that my mom is the head of Starfleet and since dad has been gone since before Liz got here, I must play the role of the companion. I’m going to be missing her playing with princesses because I must smile for my mommy. I’m pissed.

 

At least she promised me food, tasty food like one of the best restaurants in San Francisco food because apparently, we must entertain dignitaries afterwards. This should be fun. Not at all. I thought that I wouldn’t have to do that sort of thing until I got back on the Hamilton. We do way too much diplomatic resource negotiation exercises.

 

I’ve read both your letters to the baby and they were adorable. Although her reaction was even better. She was all smiles and giggles. She is having a ball at playgroup, now that we’re in a group of people I don’t hate.

 

She is making new friends and sharing her toys. Ben says that’s good. I don’t know because I didn’t get a little sister until I was a teenager and then the first year was rough. Liz slept in my bed a lot, those first few months. However, considering the hell she was coming out of I don’t blame her. Also, don’t ever take anything off Liz’s plate. She kind of freaks out. Only the babies and Kevin can get away with it without triggering like a panic attack and it’s been years since Tarsus hell.

 

I kind of feel sad making all these new friends and then leaving in a month, but I have email addresses and they’re Starfleet, so they know the drill. Also, Sasha is going to be on the Hamilton starting in June. So at least I’ll have someone else on ship missing her kid as much as me. It will probably be worse for her since her partner Sarki will be staying on planet to take care of their twins. I am so happy that the fertility loop did not result in the eggs splitting or double ovulation.

 

In addition, everyone staying behind promised to watch after Ben which is good because he needs people. His in-laws are just being awful. I mean I know they’re always going to be in his life because of the baby, but they need to stop being so mean and judgmental. I’m sorry their son died, but that doesn’t mean that Ben should just stop living. He has a daughter and needs to make a life for both. After dad died mom didn’t stop, she kept going on. OK she violated direct orders and I got a sister out of it, but she kept moving forward.

 

So how are things going with you? How is this mission going that has sent you somewhere far far away? Are you finally going to do more interesting things other than mapping planets or is it more of the same just somewhere farther?

 

Write me back when you can and please sign those documents as soon as possible. I want to get everything settled with the courts before we hop on the shuttle to Yorktown.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 5/06/2260 21:12:41

Subject: Re: So, I am going with my sister

 

I think I’d rather go back to mapping planets or diplomatic missions that go badly. Even playing diplomatic taxi would be preferable than the current situation.

 

The mission started OK with the first couple of days of scanning and taking various readings of the planet’s atmosphere. Nothing unusual. Then team one went down, and transporters went off-line. Then we had a freak gravity storm happen and now team one has been stranded on planet for the last 78 hours.

 

Now I must deal with two stressed out and terrified husbands and a stressed out and terrified teenager. Also, my best friend is down there so I am terrified and stressed out as well, but I must be the adult. And did I mention that one of the stressed-out husbands is my captain and I think I am a good hour from having to get him declared mentally unfit, so I can be acting captain. Considering what had to happen last time to get him declared unfit, I really don’t want to have to deal with that. I don’t think I like getting choked as much as my captain does. I saw those bruise marks on his neck before going on this crazy mission. You know, whatever works for you if it’s safe, sane and consensual.

 

Right now, Spock is holding on mostly due to the Vulcan mental link he has with Jim. He knows that Jim is OK and safe for the moment. That is pretty much the only thing keeping us from a repeat of two years ago.

 

As soon as feasible, we will be sending a shuttle down to retrieve the Captain. Thankfully, we know where he is because his wedding ring is made of a rare radioactive Vulcan metal. Yeah, I’m not even going to unpack that at all. Nope, not going to.

 

I have signed the papers and Nyota is express shipping it, so it might beat this letter by days if not a week. Tell Liz and Kevin that I trust them, but if they hurt my baby I will find a way to get to Earth no matter where we are. I don’t think your mom took all of Mister Scott’s special equipment and even if she did, I’m pretty sure Scotty has reproduced it because Scotty is Scotty.

 

Don’t tell Kevin that his brother is kind of stranded on the planet right now. We’re are predicting that the gravity storm will end in the next 48 hours and then operation retrieve the captain‘s husband before he goes off the deep end will commence. If something happens, I will call. So, let us hope that I won’t have to call.

 

Thank you for taking care of my honey bunny for me when I can’t be there and making sure that he is well cared for after you go back to the Hamilton. See therefore you’re my other best friend.

 

Kiss the baby for me. Only a little more than a month now before I see you all again. I’m counting down the days and not just because my boss is unbearable. Did I mention he’s keeping me up at night? God, I hope the gravity storm ends soon. I am not sure how much more of this I can take.

 

To be continued.

 

Chapter 42: Day 78: Good news

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You were all wonderful. Now let’s see if Jim got off that crazy planet.

Chapter Text

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time arrived: 05/9/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Good news, I found you a teacher

 

So, thanks to the Federation education system still under paying teachers, I managed to get someone. Her name is Gina Reyes and she has four years of teaching experience and is currently training to be a counselor. She’s also the best friend of Commander Susan Ling Chen. Apparently, anything that she may have heard about the Enterprise kids has not scared her off. I am personally surprised. However, Starfleet is going to pay her triple her current salary, so she agreed to do it. Although maybe Sue held back the real details of what’s going on. I don’t know, but you’re getting a teacher. She will be meeting you at Yorktown in June. So, all is good.

 

I am leaving in half an hour for the official remembrance ceremony, so I expect that you probably will be reading this weeks after the fact. How did things go on ship? Did you do anything to commemorate? How is the husband doing?

 

The first anniversary of my parents’ death was hard. Freak accident. The second one wasn’t much better. Honestly it didn’t start really getting better until anniversary five and I think that’s because I had Chris at that point. This year was hard, but I still had good friends to help me get through it. Spock has you.

 

Anyway, Ms. Reyes’s CV is attached. Even if you hate her, she’s still coming on board because it’s May, and I doubt that I’m going to find anyone else more qualified. More importantly, I don’t think I’m going to find anyone else who is willing. I even talked to a few teachers who have spouses aboard Enterprise and they flat out told me hell no. Your teenagers have made quite an impression.

X

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 05/09/2260 20:02:01

Subject: Re: Good news, I found you a teacher

 

I’m not even surprised. I am just happy to get some good news after the last week. Also, congratulations, it only took about eight days for this to get here. That’s fine because I just escaped sickbay and now have PADD privileges again. I don’t know why Bones made me spend so much time there because nothing’s wrong with me. I didn’t even get a scratch. Maybe he just wants to make sure I didn’t pick up any weird spores. It wouldn’t surprise me, after the last few days

 

So, our boring little far out exploratory mission to a random planet kind of went badly in grand Starfleet tradition. Good news, we only lost one member of operations. Lt Chambers will be missed.

 

Although, does it make me a bad person that I’m happy Spock is the one writing the condolence email and not me? That’s one part of being a captain that I do not miss. The ones I had to write after theVengeance Incident were awful. Spock bear did the initial ones, but once I was well and conscious, I did my own because the families deserve that much from me. I think that’s when I realized that I needed to take a step back from being a Captain for a while, for my own mental health.

 

So, we discovered the planet evil has an atmosphere that can totally fuck up transporter capabilities. None of our earlier scans showed that because it was already screwing up with our equipment. We learned none of this until we beamed down. That’s how we lost Chambers. Thankfully the rest of us in the party survived.

Even though I’m now back safely I’m probably going to have to give Spock bear a blowjob for this. Probably several of them.

 

Because of the transporter fuck up, we had to wait for a shuttle except the shuttle couldn’t pick us up for the next five days because gravity storms. Also, something that the initial scans did not detect because the atmosphere again screwed up the equipment. I can’t wait to write a report about that. Being stranded on the planet for five days was not how I wanted to explore the place.

 

Good news, they have an excellent cave system, and unlike Delta Vega no giant creatures that want to eat me. Sad news instead of being stuck in the cave waiting for rescue with my husband, I was stuck in the cave waiting for rescue with Sanchez, Chekov, and Stamets. Hey, at least we had a deck of cards and Spock bear made me bring an entire survival kit because my husband is paranoid, but the good type of paranoid. Although is it paranoia if this sort of thing does happen?

 

So, because my husband wasn’t there, the only two that had hot cave sex were Dr. Sanchez and Chekov. Her niece is going to be so pissed because she totally has a crush on him. And we are totally not going to think of the fact that her niece is only four years younger than the guy Sanchez had ‘we’re all going to die so we should totally fuck before we go’ sex.

 

I know that’s what they did because we heard them. They were loud. We pretended to play cards because Spock bear had the good sense to put a pack of playing cards in the survival kit, but you can only ignore loud sex sounds for so long.

 

Then again Ashley 3 has all sorts of other reasons to be upset. That kind of exploded when we arrived back after a successful extraction yesterday. I managed to get a thank God you’re not dead kiss on the bridge in front of everybody. Dr. Sanchez managed to get yelled at by her niece in front of everybody and cried on.

 

So maybe going missing for nearly 5 days after the anniversary of the death of both of her parents was not a good thing. I probably should’ve brought Dr. Cutler instead of Dr. Sanchez, but I was kind of expecting to get chased down by animals and not deal with gravity storms and getting trapped in a cave. Also, someone probably still would’ve been having inappropriate cave sex. But I can excuse the married couple.

 

Although good news, we have scans and soil samples. We did get some work done when other members of the team were having loud sex. Apparently, they have lots of goodies that I’m sure the Federation is going to want to procure for their selves, because of course.

 

In other good news, Ashley 3 finally acknowledged why she has been acting like a brat 90% of the time since we left Earth in February. She didn’t want her aunt to go back into Starfleet because she was afraid that she was going to lose the only family she had left, and her aunt being trapped on the planet for four days kind of brought up all her fears to the surface. I think I am going to have to look for a new doctor which is sad because I like Sanchez. I think I like her because she’s willing to do what Winona never did which was put us kids first.

 

I’m not going to fight you on Ms. Reyes. I read her CV and I’m impressed. I guess she will only have to deal with five kids unless we get a replacement for Ashley 3 or Sanchez decides to stick around a little bit longer. Margarita is dealing with them in family counseling. You know I think I’m going to need another doctor anyway. We need another therapist. Badly. It’s nice that Ms. Reyes is studying the field of psychology, but I wish she already had her certification. As you said though, no one wants to come here. Seriously, even those who already had spouses on board said no? That is not good.

 

So, the hubby is good now and he was good the day of the anniversary of Amanda’s death, but the time in between not so much. I’m surprised Sulu did not resign, considering Spock kept him up worrying so much over the last five days. I am pretty sure Nyota and Sulu were like 30 seconds from tranquilizing him and taking over. I’m pretty sure of it so I am kind of glad I didn’t bring either of them on the away mission.

 

Although I’ve already had thank God you’re not dead sex so it’s okay. Bones is mad at us because we kind of did that in his Sickbay, but he’ll get over it, maybe.

 

Anyway, look out for the official report. I should probably write that before I write Kevin. He does know I’m okay, right? I am so worried about the rumor mill already knowing about this even though we’re in deep space because the rumor mill knows and reads things. There are like no secrets in Starfleet, just lies and misrepresentations of the truth.

 

Chapter 43: Day 82: Ramblings of the Oblivious

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. Thank you for keeping me in the happy writing zone.

Please note, this letter was written before Jim wrote the last letter to his brother by at least a few days. Thanks to the Enterprise email system, he’s getting it several days after he wrote his last one. This should surprise no one. In deep space, nothing arrives timely. Jim likes this because he only gets yelled at if he does something extra stupid like violate the prime directive, again. He’s trying to avoid that level of stupidity.

Also, out of an abundance of laziness, I decided that the 2260 calendar would follow the current calendar for holidays, so it just happens to be Mother’s Day. This is going to be a loaded day for several people involved.

Chapter Text

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time arrived: 5/13/2260 00:00:01

 

So why do spring finals feel like they just come a few days after midterms. I just thought I would have a few weeks to relax but no, we’re already barely down the final stretch. It’s awful. And it’s kind of worse because we’re taking our finals early so we can hop on the shuttle for Yorktown.

 

So, amusement parks with the babies were great until baby K managed to run away, and it took us an hour to find her. That child can barely walk yet she is very sneaky and getting a tracking bracelet. Is this what the next 10 to 12 months are going to be like? I’m scared.

 

So, Sue has had her lawyers draw up paperwork to make it all legal. Now we are waiting for Sulu to sign the thing and send it back to finalize it all. Considering you guys are somewhere far far away to the point where you did not have to participate in any Starfleet sponsored spectacle for the second anniversary of the battle of Vulcan, I assume it’s probably going to take a while. It might show up by the time we meet up next month. Who knows? I hope nothing bad happens while you’re that far out.

 

So, I think we can take care of a small child. At least the summer will be good. I will be interning and taking a couple classes, so I can have a lighter load during the school year. Liz is going to do the full-time mommy substitute thing this summer. I think this is because her biological parents were always working and deep down she’s a little bitter about it. OK deep down she’s very bitter about it and blames what their work habits for her sister dying on the planet of the damned.

 

I mean, the Admiral was always in space to, but I think it was a little different as well as the fact Sue was always around. I think Sue raised Liz like you raised me except that the Admiral was never a full on alcoholic, so that was an advantage for Liz.

 

Mom is mom still sober. I am still shocked about that. I hope it lasts until you at least see her again in a couple of weeks. I think it will, but I’m still worried. Anything can be a trigger.

 

When we get back we’re going to have to go to Iowa to figure out what we’re going to do with the house. Would you be mad if it was turned into a bed-and-breakfast? I think mom should sell it. To Winona, it is a house filled with ghosts. At the same time maybe, you want to keep it. I mean this is the house where your father was born. I know I don’t have the connection to George Kirk that you do. I just have his last name and that’s because Winona wanted all her kids to have the same last name.

 

In other mom -related news, I have been invited to participate in a very Chen Mother’s Day. Because it’s going to be Sue’s first, it’s supposed to be extra special with brunch at one of the best places in San Francisco. Mom has also been invited which means no mimosas for anyone. And we are back to conversations about Winona’s alcoholism. I’m just going to end this letter before it gets way too depressing.

 

Write me back.

Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time sent: 5/13/2260 06:23:21

Father’s Day has always been more of a trigger for mom, so I think we’re good for another month. I’m trying to decide if being on a ship back to San Francisco on Father’s Day is going to be better or worse for Winona. I hope it doesn’t trigger any flashbacks. I probably should email mom today after I finish helping JoJo do breakfast in bed for Nyota. I hope there are no small fires today.

 

OK I assume that you sent this email to me before you got the last one because you’re not yelling at me for doing dumb stuff. However, last mission was totally not my fault. Don’t worry nothing like getting stranded on the planet for a few days will be happening anytime soon, I hope.

 

We are shuttling a couple of dignitaries between Star base. Then we’re going to pick up personnel and stop at a few planets to pick up supplies and people to populate the new Yorktown facility. I think there might also be a diplomatic mission or two somewhere along the way. We have a little under a month, but hey no more getting stranded on planets.

 

Yes, the spring semester always feels like midterms and finals are way too close to each other and it’s that way on purpose because they still like to line up midterms with the Easter holiday which makes very little sense since so much of the population doesn’t celebrate Easter. Although I guess the spring equinox is a thing for a lot of people, but different planets have their spring equinox at completely different times so yeah, I don’t get it. Maybe it’s just about chocolate.

 

I am glad that you’re doing the internship and doing a few classes. Yes, it probably would be easier on you if you get some stuff done during the summer especially if you’re going to have a one-year-old living with you. But hey at least you can get Sulu’s boyfriend to babysit so you can have private time with your girlfriend. Just remember to wrap it up because you don’t want children full-time just yet.

 

Bed-and-breakfast is fine with me. If you do, keep the original house and barn. That way when I’m feeling nostalgic I can always get a room there. Although I don’t think I will. That’s also the house of Frank. If it wasn’t for the fact dad was born there, I probably would’ve burned that sucker to the ground. You almost did your first Mother’s Day with us. Hope you’re better at cooking now.

 

 So yeah, I think it’s best Winona never goes back there. If she is staying sober in San Francisco, then she should stay in San Francisco. I assume she has a better support system. Not only does she have you, but friends as well.

 

Okay, a certain preteen just knocked on my door demanding that I supervise her attempts at non-replicated pancakes (except apparently, we are trying our hands at replicating raw eggs because she doesn’t want to do the vegetarian version). I’m probably going to regret this.

 

PS: Jo Jo says she would love to hear from you again soon, but understands that you have to put baby D first. She says that’s what good aunts and uncles do. I feel like that something we are going to need to unpack.             

 

Xxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

 

Subject: Happy Mother’s Day

Time arrived: 5/13/2260 15:15:21

 

 

Happy Mother’s Day

 

So, chances are you will get this about a week and a half after Mother’s Day, but do I still get credit for sending it to you on Mother’s Day? Regardless, I still want to say sorry that a week ago I was stuck on a planet with no email access.

 

Away missions are nowhere near as much fun as the brochure makes it seem. I never seem to get stranded with Spock when I really want to be stranded with him somewhere. But it’s all good now. However, any presents I’m planning to send will be hand-delivered when we see each other in a couple of weeks. I’m glad that you’re able to come.

 

I got an email from Kevin today. Just so you know I’m not planning to retire in Iowa for like 40 years. I’m pretty sure Spock is planning for us to move to the new Vulcan colony and adopt a bunch of babies grown in gestational pots, even though I’ve already said I don’t want to be more than uncle Jim. So, if you’re given a good deal on the farmhouse, feel free to sell it. I think you like San Francisco better. Always do what’s best for you. I’m married with Starfleet children and Kevin is co-parenting with his girlfriend for at least the next year. We are both well-adjusted members of society which considering everything, means you’re kind of a miracle worker.

 

Xxxxx

Excerpts from the therapy Journal of Josephine Jamie McCoy

 

Dear Mom:

Margarita says that I should write you a letter today to help me process my first Mother’s Day without you. But I’m not really that upset about it because I have Nyota which has made me feel guilty. I also didn’t have to participate in a mother-daughter brunch where I would pretend to be happy and smile when I did not want to be there at all while I tried to be as perfect as you needed me to be. Again, I felt guilty about being happy I didn’t have to do that.

 

 I’m still sad and angry a lot of the time, but I have Nyota and dad, so I’m getting through it. Nyota was happy at my attempt at pancakes. (I didn’t tell her about the present that Uncle Scotty helped me with because maybe I want to wait until it’s done). The pancakes were slightly burnt, but she ate them anyway. She doesn’t yell or scream at me when I’m not perfect. She doesn’t make me feel like I’m worthless. I don’t feel like I must walk on eggshells all the time with her. This is the first time on this day that I’ve had a real mom because I don’t know what you were, but motherly wasn’t it.

 

I don’t know what else to write. I’m still trying to untangle all my feelings about you. Margarita says it’s a work in progress and Uncle Jim agrees. I’ll figure it out eventually. I hope so anyway.

To be continued

Chapter 44: Day 85: You know, your family is still an upgrade

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: Congratulate me on surviving another May 2

Time arrived: 5/16/2260 00:00:01

 

So I heard that your BFF actually slept with a 36-year-old while everyone else could hear him during what turned out to be a stuck in a cave mission. You need more friends your own age. I’m definitely going to have to introduce you to the playgroup crew if you ever end up planet side. Of course since the group is Starfleet, there’s probably a greater chance that you might run into them on their next mission.

 

So, the anniversary of Zach’s death kind of sucked. Next year I’m flying to a different planet with a different calendar so I can just skip it. I miss the old days where you could just fly to Australia and avoid that day. Totally not possible with modern shuttles.

 

The day started out good at the park. It’s always a good day when my baby is smiling. Winona was also great. She completely understands what I’m going through in a way very few others did. That woman even figured out a way for us not to participate in the moment of silence for the Vulcan genocide.

 

 But then it kind of all unraveled, once we got home. My former in-laws are kind of assholes who spoke to the media and painted me as some heartless bastard. Email file attached. Don’t look at the comments. Just don’t. Sue broke a PADD before calling Shawn to deal with it.

 

Also, it’s a good thing she called Shawn because they threatened to try to take custody of baby K again despite losing the fight last time. I think they’re going to try to keep me from taking her with me to come see you. They are just horrible people. However, Sue is giving me Shawn. I’ve been informed that he is a legal pit bull. I also found out that he is your ex-boyfriend.

 

Apparently, after nearly dying on a mission a while back, Shawn decided to get the hell out of Starfleet legal. I totally don’t blame him. I am also glad to have a legal pit bull on my side just in case. He did get that paper to post a sort of apology for the defamation.

 

I’m scared of Zach’s parents even though I shouldn’t be. I mean my name is on the birth certificate and even though she’s genetically Zach daughter, she’s always been mine. I’m the one who raised her and they’re just being irrational. Or maybe they just want to punish me for being alive when their son isn’t. I don’t know. Although honestly they never actually liked me. Mostly because they really wanted a daughter in law.

 

I don’t think I ever told you how messy things got right after Zach died. They were trying to take my daughter away from me before I even had time to spread my husband’s ashes, but their plan didn’t work. They lost last time because Zach’s sister took my side and I’m sure she will do it again. I can’t help but worry though. Especially because said sister is on a mission on the other side of the quadrant right now. Maybe the new judge will see things differently.

 

Even though I’m cautiously optimistic about actually making this trip without the in-laws trying to ruin it, I am packing. That child needs way too much clothing for three weeks. Of course, half of what I’m bringing is toys because we will be spending at least two of those weeks on the ship. But it’s going to be worth it to see you. I already have lined up babysitting services for when we will be on base at the same time. We will have alone time.

 

However, it’s not going to be all vacation for me. For some reason your baby’s grandmother has decided that I’m going to look over the medical facilities on Yorktown because she wants a second opinion to make sure everything is set up adequately. A civilian opinion. I don’t get it, but I am barely having to pay for any of this trip. Therefore, I’m going to do what she asked. Maybe me being there to inspect the facilities is how I’m on this trip. Maybe this got approved because I’m there as some sort of consultant. I’m not going to question your daughter’s grandmother. I already like her more than my daughter’s grandmother.

 

Anyway, if I don’t get to write you again before we leave for Yorktown just know that I love you and miss you. Even though your family seems awful at times, they are so much better than Zach’s. I only love his sister. She’s the best. Everyone else, not so much. They were totally the black sheep of their families.

 

XXXX

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Congratulate me on surviving another May 2

Time arrived: 5/16/2260 05:39:01

 

It makes total sense that anybody you fell in love with was the good one. You have excellent taste. I’m sorry that they’re being absolutely horrible to you. Shawn is good at what he does. He has eviscerated many an asshole in the court room. I’m sure he’s just as vicious now that he’s a civilian.

 

 We kind of fell apart because he’s so intense. It’s hard to date someone who is going over legal textbooks at every hour the day, including when you’re on a date and trying to watch a movie together.

 

Also do not be worried about the ex-boyfriend. We were not that serious, just a normal Academy hook up, that happened at the funeral of our mutual ex-boyfriend. Yes, we met at a funeral and you always make bad decisions at funerals. It’s a very emotional place.

 

You’re the more committed relationship. If it wasn’t serious between us, I totally would have broken things off before leaving planet for five years. Instead I’m getting really good at the art of letter writing. But I’m really happy I’ll get to see you soon.

 

I think they did get you to Yorktown by saying that you’re a consultant and because Chen is the way she is, you’re going to have to do some actual consulting. Also, most of the doctors on Yorktown are supposed to be civilians, so your advice would be useful. It’s not totally a Starfleet installation, but also a diplomatic post, once it’s fully populated. I think it’s supposed to be nearly 300,000 people. But there’s only going to be a small fraction of that because again it’s still coming together. Actually I don’t think this is even a real shore leave more like a working vacation. Possibly, for both of us. I think I’m supposed to help set up the hydroponic farm section of Yorktown.

 

Yes, I realize I need more friends that are adults. I have Nyota and Jim now, but they’re also ridiculously busy. Jim is convinced he has more work now that he’s first officer than when he was captain. Thanks to Pavel’s interesting dating choices, I am making a few new friends. I like Sanchez. I question the good sense in her having sex with a 19-year-old, but well, we all have our coping mechanisms.

 

Although, I just think that it’s sex right now. However, I’m kind of surprised that it lasted beyond the initial hook up at all, but they’ve had lunch a few times, and we’ve hung out. Honestly, 50% of all Starfleet relationships are hook ups, the other 50% are Jim and Spock and Leonard and Nyota. Somewhere in there, there’s the percentage of people in long-term relationships that are light years away from each other. We are totally in that category.

 

Did I mention that I’m so looking forward to us actually getting to spend time with each other without small children around? Because really, I miss you so much. I’m going to have to get Liz the shoe basket.

 

Do you know if the forms making Liz and Kevin the official guardians of my child made it to Earth? I sent them back a while ago, but we are in the middle of deep space and everything takes forever to get back to Earth.

 

You know if the custody thing wasn’t already so precarious with six parents, I would totally lobby for you to get a job on a Star base. Then we could actually see each other more often. It’s so much easier to get to a Star base a couple of times a year than Earth. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to see Earth again before the end of the five year mission unless there is a funeral or Jim violates the Prime Directive. I really want to avoid that, even if it means missing out on seeing you.

 

You probably will be leaving soon, so this might be my last email for a while. Or at least the last one that might get you before you leave so bring chocolate, alcohol, and supplies for private time. And don’t worry about your former in-laws. Things will work out. I know it.

Love you.

 

To be continued

Chapter 45: Day 88: Adventures in babysitting

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all wonderful.

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

Time arrived: 05/19/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I’m glad I never had to supervise the under 20.

 

Why am I not even that surprised? Oh yeah, because of the amount of cadet shacking up with professors back when I was a student. I’m glad you’re back safe. Of course, the 19-year-old hooks up with somebody when stuck in a cave. Again, not surprised.

 

At least he’s over 18 now, so not your problem. Maybe he’s making up for that year where he was in space, but technically younger than the Federation age of consent. It is kind of weird that you can serve in Starfleet on behalf of the Federation, but you’re not allowed to get laid. If we think you’re emotionally mature enough for one, then he probably should be emotionally mature enough for the other.

 

Jim, you know you’re never going to get stuck in the cave with your significant other because that’s just the way the universe works. It’s cruel that way. We really should have better protocols regarding gravity storms because it seems like everyone will get stuck in a cave at least once in their Starfleet career. Maybe even more than once. Hey, at least you had a deck of cards.   

 

I haven’t got a transfer request yet, so maybe your therapist is a miracle worker, or the lag time is worse than we thought. Have you made it to the Star base yet? Everybody wants your prisoner dropped off especially me. That court-martial is going to be fun. Glad I am not your enemy.

 

It’s going to be mostly easy stuff until Yorktown at least. Mostly transporting things to Yorktown. Along with some dignitaries and ambassadors that are being relocated to Yorktown. Good luck.

 

Okay, I should probably tell you that you are picking up a few dignitaries from a planet that are a bit more amorous than Vulcans or humans for that matter. They’ve sexually harassed the last team that picked them up. Just be careful. I don’t want to find out if Chen will cover up your husband choking a dignitary to death for touching his husband without express consent.

 

Your new teacher will be on Yorktown waiting for you. It works out great because she’ll get to travel with her best friend there in time to see her off on the Hamilton. I’m still surprised Ms. Gutierrez agreed to do this despite everything Sue most likely told her.

 

I’m sorry I’m not coming to Yorktown with the others, but I’m sure our paths will cross eventually. I’m not sure how much longer Chen is going to keep me on Earth. I will probably get an off-planet assignment as Chen is sure that those on Earth won’t try to poison her to take over her position. A lot of Marcus’ cronies have been locked up, but some remain. It’s going to take a while to get everything resolved, but I think we will get there.

Xx

 

From: Elizabeth_Chen

 

To: SulxuHG2260

 

Time arrived: 5/19/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Greetings from your new child caregiver

 

Hey since I am going to probably be the one writing Desi‘s updates after my sister leaves next month, I thought maybe I should get a head start on writing you.

 

We got the forms two days before your letter got here. I guess the system prioritizes legal forms. We did get your letter and then we got Jim’s letter as well as your other letter. Although by that point we kind of knew. The Enterprise rumor mill is quick and vicious.

 

So, it was Pav who was the one who had cave sex for like five days straight? I know it wasn’t Jim because Spock wasn’t with him and I’m pretty sure the only person they would be in a poly relationship with is Nyota and she’s dating Leonard right now. Maybe in a different time line, but not this one.

 

Your daughter was a sweetie pie at Princess Land. I have so many pictures. Yes, Mulan was her favorite. She also loves Ariel and of course Jasmine. Jasmine may have been her favorite. It’s the blue. She loves blue. Or at least that shade of blue. I kind of had to buy her three of those headbands.

 

Also, we may have had to chase around your boyfriend’s kid because she is fast for someone who just mastered the art of walking last month and chatty, very chatty. Then again, so is Desi. Mama is a perennial favorite. Also, Susu. I think she’s trying to say her last name or maybe my sister’s first name. It could be either because they kind of sound alike.

 

Your boyfriend managed to bond with my boyfriend’s mom. They are both members of the Starfleet widows’ club. It was good for him to spend time with someone who is a more seasoned member even though Winona has made a lot of mistakes. Winona told him that he had to put his emotional well-being and the emotional well-being of his daughter first and not let others hurt him, especially the in-laws. I think it was something that he needed to hear.

Oh, if you haven’t heard from Ben recently, please write because his in-laws pulled some shady stuff that day and are doing more awful things. Shawn is working on it, and maybe he will have it all settled in a couple of days, but Ben can kind of use your support. God, they are just awful.

 

I put in my notice at work and I only have one more week of work before I’m going to have to pay full price for all my study food, but I think it’s better for me to be available all summer. I’m sad, but I can afford it especially because I’m going to get child support payments while babysitting. Although, if it’s a year, it’s not really babysitting. I guess we’ll call it temporary parenthood. I never thought I would become a parent this early, but it’s happening and I prefer it this way. No stretch marks and I don’t have to worry about mom killing Kevin because of contraceptive failure.

 

Anyway, I have finals to study for, so I’ll cut this short. I’ll try to send some videos or something else before we leave. Only a few more weeks. Anyway, good luck and I hope nobody gets stranded on planets again.

 

PS: Sue questions why you’re still friends with the 19-year-old. She also wants me to remind you to write your daughter. She would write, but she’s trying to write her final and she is really pissed off about having to grade on the flight to Yorktown.

 

PSS: Tell Jim that Kevin is pissed. He’ll obviously know why.

Xxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time arrived: 05/19/2260 00:12:51

Subject: Re: I’m glad I never had to supervise them under 20.

 

Margarita really is a miracle worker and I’m not losing a competent doctor. Really don’t even think about taking my therapist away again. I understand why I can’t work with Dr. Suarez anymore. But I’m going to be furious forever if Margarita ever gets transferred. We need her.

 

I’m sad that you’re not going to be able to come, but I understand. Someone must be on Earth to keep everything from going to hell.

I’m glad that you might be getting a different assignment soon. I think you might be happier there than stuck in bureaucracy all the time. At the same time, I’m a little worried. Someone must be.

 

I am happy with the information about our new teacher. I’m also happy she hasn’t been scared off yet especially because she’s a friend of Sue and has probably heard a lot of crazy stories about what happens on Enterprise, mostly revolving around how my helmsmen got her best friend pregnant. I am also shocked she said yes.

 

Since you’re not going to be here for the day after baby D’s birthday, how are you planning to spend that day? And yes, I’m referring to it that way because it’s easier to deal with if I think of it in terms of something good. I’m trying to divorce it from all the negative connotations instead of what happened with my actual birthday. Worked wholly with eight double parties this year on January 5. It works great that me and my husband have our birthdays two days apart. I’m just worried about you being alone and possibly having to do a memorial for the San Francisco attacks. That would just kind of suck. And I say that as somebody who spent most of their birthdays at Kelvin memorials. My childhood was all kinds of screwed up, but I’m better now.

 

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, Spock’s ass was pinched twice. Nobody was nerve pinched, but it was a near thing. I can’t wait to get them off my ship. Just two more days. Thank God.

 

Speaking of getting evil people off the ship, the prisoner has been safely dropped off two days ago. We’re all happy he’s gone. Bonus points for being able to replenish the chocolate supply. Spock is going to need it to survive the sexual harassment ambassadors on board.

 

 Anyway, write back soon. Maybe I’ll call when I’m on Yorktown. I will call. I must do something other than attend small children’s birthday parties. Also, Winona’s going to be there, so I’m going to need a built-in excuse to get away in case it gets ugly. You know it will get ugly.

Xx

From: SulxuHG2260

 

To: Elizabeth_Chen

 

Time arrived: 5/19/2260 21:32:31

 

Subject: Re: Greetings from your new child caregiver

I got an email from Ben two days ago and yes, he really hates his in-laws, with good reason. I also saw the video file and I’m sorry that their son died, but God they’re awful. I can’t wait until they find out what I didn’t do on that planet. They are going to crucify me literally possibly.

 

Glad to know that Shawn is on it. Please keep me updated. If it really goes south, please convince your mom to let me get the news sooner rather than later. I know she can get transmissions here faster than normal.

 

You’re going to be taking care of our little girl, so we must make sure she gets to keep the lifestyle she is accustomed to. Also, it’s not like we have that much to spend things on when we’re on mission. Just chocolate bars and liquor. Maybe I went a little wild at the Star base a couple of days ago, but it was necessary. Your future brother-in-law kind of drives me nuts. I always assumed Vulcans were so emotionless. Now I work for one who kind of freaks out whenever his husband gets into trouble.

 

Considering what I went through with Spock while Jim was stuck on planet, I can only see Kevin being pissed. But everything is okay. The worst thing that happened on our current assignment was Spock ended up getting groped by a diplomat, and Jim couldn’t punch him due to diplomatic relations. Although they did make out in front of the guy. That’s also against Starfleet policy, but less likely to cause a diplomatic incident. Of course, they’re going to be here for two more days. So, it could get worse.

 

And you’re right, we are going to end up getting to know each other well over the next year. I may be a little irregular with these emails, but it is better for me to send them to you than to your mom. She scares me. I’m kind of surprised I didn’t end up in Delta Vega for getting your sister pregnant, but Jim and Spock sitting may be worse. Fingers crossed they don’t break the Prime Directive for each other again. Next little bit is for Desi. I figure I should just tack it onto this email instead of sending a separate one.

Xxxx

 

Hey sweetie bear,

 

I heard you had fun at Princess Land. You have good taste in princesses. Also, I heard you’re speaking a little. I can’t wait to hear for myself outside of the video file anyway. Although those were cute. You’re extra adorable. I can’t wait to hug and kiss you soon. We can have so much fun together. I know it’s going to be a sad time too because mommy will be going away for a while, but we’ll do what we can for it to be good.

 

Sorry you were born into a Starfleet family. I promise next time I’ll apply for something on a Star base or maybe just maybe, if things go good with the minors’ program, you might get to live with me on ship someday. Fingers crossed.

 

To be continued

 

Chapter 46: Day 91: Thank you for your Mother’s Day present

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of messages. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Re: Happy Mother’s Day

Time arrived: 5/22/2260 00:00:01

 

Thank you for your letter. I’m okay that it came late. Really, I’m just glad you’re talking to me this Mother’s Day after radio silence last year. I realize in hindsight I should not have freaked out so much about you getting married. I’m starting to like your husband. He’s growing on me.

 

I’m not happy for the reason why it came late, but if being stranded for five days is the worst thing that’s happening, I can deal with that. It wasn’t your fault. I’m aware that the most benign mission ever on paper can turn disastrous.

 

You’re aware you were not supposed to be born in space. You aren’t even supposed to be born for almost another three months when we were already safely black planet side. But on the way home we were attacked, and I became a single mom.

 

It could’ve been worse, I realize that now. At least your dad got to see you. Ben’s husband Zach didn’t get that much. Which is sad because she’s such a beautiful little girl. So full of life and happiness. Also, unlike me Ben has been dealing with his grief and moving forward. (He also has significantly better taste in follow-up relationships. I’m still so sorry about Frank.) I like that about him which might be why we are becoming friends. He needs somebody to talk to that really understands what he’s going through.

 

The guy needs a friend because Zach’s parents are just making it worse because they can’t let go. They blame him just like your dad’s parents blamed me for your dad dying. Like if I wasn’t pregnant, then maybe he wouldn’t have done what he did, and he would have been in that escape pod with us. Obviously, they didn’t know your dad. Yes, he was doing it for us because it’s amazing what a parent will do to keep their kids alive, but he was also doing it for everyone else on that ship. I know you get that now.

 

Although, even though they hate me, they never tried to take you and Sam away from me. I think that would have broken me completely if they did because they probably would’ve won. You and Sam were the only things keeping me from losing it entirely. I was such a mess, but as I said earlier, Ben has it more together than I do. I wish I could’ve been that way. But you can’t change the past. You can only move forward. At least that’s what my new therapist says.

 

I think I want to stay in San Francisco. I’m healthier here. I have more friends and I’m making lots of new ones including my fellow Starfleet with those club members, Ben. Kevin is here as well, at least for the next few years. By the way, he’s mad at you. So mad that he has not responded to your last two letters. You and Kevin are going to have to work that out when we get to Yorktown if he doesn’t write you before then.

 

Although, I think the number one reason why I need to stay in San Francisco is there are less things here that haunt me. Considering I went to school with your father in San Francisco, that says a lot of sad things about my mental state. I’m not just haunted by your father. I’m haunted by Frank and how my decision hurt you so badly. The fact that you’re happily married makes me feel so good because I didn’t ruin that for you due to my bad decisions.

 

I’m also haunted by Sam. I was never the mother that you and Sam needed me to be. I felt like maybe he went to Tarsus with me, not just because it was an excellent education opportunity, but because he didn’t trust me to be on my own. If he wasn’t there, then he would still be alive. There’s a lot of guilt there and I’m just now starting to work through it with the doctors here. For too long, I just stayed in the bottle and never really resolved it.

 

You’re not supposed to bury your children. You’re just not and I did, and I almost did the second time and I think that’s what pushed me over. But it also made me realize that I need help and I can’t keep falling back on old patterns. As we get closer to that day it gets harder to keep that resolve, but I’m going to. The alcohol doesn’t make things better, I realize that now. It just dulls things, but when you come out of the alcohol, everything is still there.

 

So yes, I’m selling the house. It’s necessary to freely move on from the past. Part of me wants to burn it to the ground. But I can’t destroy that last piece I have of Sam and George. It needs to live on, but I just can’t live there.

 

Here in San Francisco, I feel like I am rebuilding not only myself, but my relationships with you and Kevin. I’m looking forward to spending a few days with you on Yorktown. I know I didn’t exactly support your decision to join Starfleet, but in the long run, I realize it’s the best decision for you and you are becoming who you were always meant to be.

 

I also like spending time with Kevin and his girlfriend and their baby. Desi is adorable, and I think I can deal with pseudo-grandmother hood for a little while. You know until you and your husband give me a grandchild. You say you only want to be Uncle Jim, but I don’t believe you.

 

Of course, maybe I’ve completely thrown you off having kids. I don’t know. I wasn’t the best mom. The universe knows I made a lot of mistakes mostly related to my alcoholism, but I still love you. I’m just glad that you cared enough to remember Mother’s Day this year.

Anyway, I’ll see you soon. Love, mom

 

Xxx

From: MomOU

To: NyotaUM

Time arrived: 05/22/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Thank you for your Mother’s Day gift

 

Thank you for your Mother’s Day cookies. They were delicious. My assistant had several. I gave a lot of them to the office since I’m alone now and have no one to share my cookies with.

 

I’m kind of shocked that you sent anything. Especially for Mother’s Day. I wasn’t the best mom. I realize that now. I’m never going to be able to apologize enough for boarding school. In hindsight it was a bad choice. I’m trying to make up for that with my new granddaughter. I think you’ll do better than me. I know you’ll do better than me, which is I guess what every parent wishes for.

 

Rodriguez has been keeping me updated on your five-year mission. I’m glad things have mostly been running smoothly. I also heard you’re going to be on Yorktown soon. I hope it all goes well.

 

Please write me back whenever you have a chance.

Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Subject: Re: Happy Mother’s Day

Time arrived: 5/22/2260 22:21:01

 

I’m glad my email was well received. It looks like messages are getting there sooner now. I’m also glad that our relationship is improving, especially after where it was last year. Some people are not as lucky. I have a friend who has been spending most of the day trying to figure out how to respond to her mom’s latest email. I think she’s on attempt number 25. In contrast, it only took two attempts and Spock having mercy on me and taking over typing duties. Such a good husband.

 

I am also happy that you’re making a real commitment to staying sober this time. Even though I know it’s difficult for you. I’m glad you’re really trying. The upcoming anniversaries are going to be hard for all of us, even me. I miss Chris a lot and you know the first anniversary is always the worst one. It doesn’t help that the anniversary of my near-death experience is going to be just a few days later. I’m going to be spending a lot of time with Margarita over the next few weeks. My poor therapist.

 

Although, I really do think she’s helping me move foreword and reconcile with a lot of my personal ghosts. I am only throwing up every other time I visit engineering. That’s progress, right?

 

Despite that, I like where I am right now. I don’t miss being Captain. Not as much as I thought I would. Honestly, it doesn’t feel that much different except I’m doing more administrative stuff and I’m working more directly with everybody. Maybe Spock and I are just really one unit and it doesn’t matter what role we have officially.

 

Anyway, I’ll tell you more about it when we get to Yorktown. We’re supposed to have dinner the first night at the shipyard view restaurant. It’s opening there or, so I’ve been told. I think we might be bringing the head chef. We may also have to charm a few diplomats. Yay Starfleet.

Xxxxxx

From: NyotaUM

To: MomOU

Time arrived: 05/22/2260 23:10:54

Subject: Thank you for your Mother’s Day gift

 

I’m glad you liked the cookie bouquet. Although it was Josephine’s idea to send them to you. She wanted to do something nice for you. She was originally planning to send them to me, but that wasn’t an option. Instead, she roped Jim into helping her make breakfast for me.

Josephine is warming up to the idea of an actual grandmother. Leonard’s mom was gone long before she was born, and the judge went through trophy wives like water. Josephine usually avoided all of them.

 

I’ve been working with Margarita a lot trying to process all the changes that have happened in the last year. I’m also trying to make peace with the past. Dr. Margarita says that it’s dangerous to keep holding on to past pain. Over time it becomes a weight that will eventually drown us in the struggles of life. So, I’m working on it. Therapy is hard.

I hope all is well with you in San Francisco. I will try to write again when I have the chance.

To be continued

Chapter 47: Day 93: The rumor mill tells me everything

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time arrived: 5/24/2260 00:00:01

Subject: the Starfleet rumor mill is faster than your letters

 

I got your letter and your other letter. I think you’re starting to make your way back toward civilization and they’re starting to get here sooner. I decided to wait a few days before I wrote because I was a little annoyed with you. Although I’m sure mom told you that. I know she wrote you a couple of days ago.

 

I already knew before I got the first letter because Sue told me what was going on. Thankfully by the time she got Sulu’s email about you being stuck on planet, her mom already received word that you guys were safe. Seriously, how does this sort of thing happen to you? If I found out about the tracking wedding ring before it helped Spock rescue you, I would be creeped out by it, but now I just think it’s your husband being prepared for all possibilities because you can’t keep yourself out of trouble.

 

By the way, there’s a rumor going around that you were fucking a surgeon, fungus expert, and somebody who may or may not be legal in the cave, the entire time. I’m pretty sure the rumor was based on what Pav actually did. You know they always screw up the truth. By the way, there’s a creepy version of the wedding ring story also going around. They’re making your husband sound like a stalker.

 

So does JoJo have one less Ashley to deal with? Is that getting better? I should write her too, but I’m exhausted from finals prep, the parenting crash course, and moving. I now have my young child CPR certification which is apparently completely different than the one they make you get freshman year.

 

Yes, Winona is making friends as well as reconnecting with old ones. She is best friends with Ben, Mister Sulu’s boyfriend and Sue’s new BFF. She’s hanging out with Nhi and Rodriguez a lot. She’s also really friendly with my girlfriend’s mom. I’ve known that they’ve known each other since Tarsus, but I didn’t know that they talk to each other. Brunch today was weird, but entertaining. I think they may be planning our wedding already. Which is weird because that is so not happening until we are at least both older than 25.

 

Actually, I think mom, Liz’s mom, Admiral Pike and Ben are going to form some sort of new Starfleet widow’s club. She kind of bonded with Ben at the amusement park and they’ve been hanging out ever since. She’s also providing him with strategies to deal with in-laws that are awful to him after their son dies. Apparently, she had a lot of experience with this. How bad were your grandparents to her when you were growing up?

 

Hey, I’m sorry I forgot to include pictures from Princess land last time, but here they are. If you’re mostly doing milk runs then you’re going to need something that will cheer you up. Babies cheer everyone up. Of course, if you’re doing mostly milk runs then you probably won’t be doing stupid stuff.  

 

Good news, we have to move into the new apartment. And yes officer housing is so much nicer than cadet housing. Bad news the apartment next-door to us is Liz’s mom. Now we’re not normally in the place where the head of Starfleet would live (except for Marcus who had his own mansion), but that’s because Chan really doesn’t want to pull that many strings. This just looks a little strange, but Liz is the permanent guardian of the daughter of a Lieutenant Commander and the first officer of the USS Hamilton, so I think people are letting it slide just a little bit. Besides, what’s the worst they’re going to do, gossip about us? If we don’t give them something to talk about, they’ll make it up anyway like your cave.

 

I’m looking forward to Yorktown even though I’m going to have to start packing soon. See, I should’ve put my stuff in suitcases, but I just threw everything into trash bags because I’m an idiot. I’m sure it can wait until after finals. Oh, did I let you know that I had to take everything within the first two days of finals week because on the third day we’re going to have to hop a shuttle to Yorktown. This is not going to be fun. I’m already working on my finals essays. Do you think I would get in trouble for including details about what really happened on Tarsus?

 

Anyway, this may be my last letter before Yorktown. I may only come up for food and quality time with Desi during the next two weeks. Seriously how did you do this while taking an accelerated class load?

 

 Xxxxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Kevin KR

 

Time arrived: 5/24/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: The Starfleet rumor mill is faster than your letters

 

Bones. However, I was taking an accelerated class load, but not raising a small child. I feel like that’s probably worse. Only because I heard Desi likes to throw things. I assume that you’re going through a bit of a transition phase right now with Sue being around.

 

So by now you’ve probably got the official papers, especially if you’ve already moved into the new apartment. Congratulations on your one year old. I think you’ll do fine. It can’t be harder than multiple teenagers or Winona.

 

JoJo is doing great. I think the three cases of Oreo cookies have helped. I also think that she will understand if you don’t write to her for a while. Besides she’s getting ready for exams. Poor Starfleet kids. They have year-round school. But hey, JoJo will probably be done with the high school curriculum by the time she’s 15 and start the remote Starfleet training course. She’s leaning towards medical, but after hanging out with Shawn and Alexis last fall as well as quality time with the ship’s legal team, she’s starting to warm up to the law. Oh, the irony.

 

I’m not surprised that you were upset due to me getting stranded on a strange planet for a few days. Mom mentioned as much. I’m glad you calmed down before you wrote me. Actually, I’m glad that you wrote me before Yorktown. I thought we would’ve ended up having it out there. I’m sorry you were worried, but hey, I didn’t get a scratch on me. All my wounds were emotional. It was like being back at the Academy.

 

I am sorry you must listen to such ridiculous rumors, but thankfully you know they’re not true. We played a lot of cards because Spock believed in preparing for boredom. Or maybe my husband just knows me way too well.

 

Because of what happened, Spock bear has been extra clingy for the last two weeks. I have a feeling I probably won’t be going on an away mission by myself till at least December, possibly longer. If we did not have the bond. Spock probably would’ve had a total meltdown, which would have been just bad for everybody involved.  

 

You would think the milk runs would be boring, but no not really. Of course, this was because two different dignitaries tried to fuck my husband. One of which had really grabby hands. Maybe the ridiculous rumors are why they thought they had a chance. Don’t worry no diplomatic incidents happened.

 

OK one tiny incident happened, but it was resolved quickly. Spock almost nerve pinched somebody the second time it happened, but we handled it. You know, mostly by making out in front of the other people.

 

Yes JoJo is still going to have to deal with three Ashleys, but I think there was a breakthrough in therapy so maybe Ashley 3 will be less awful. One can hope. Fingers crossed that familial relationships stay well and Ashley doesn’t find out about her mother figure hooking up with a 19-year-old that she totally has a crush on. Seriously, he’s only 4 1/2 years older than her niece. That is all kinds of awkward. I am so glad mom never dated anyone my age.

 

Also, I just realized you’re older than Pavlov by a couple of weeks. That’s so weird especially with you still at the Academy and he’s been on my ship for two years. But in the long run, I think it’s better that you had the full Starfleet Academy experience and did things at a more normal speed. There hasn’t been a lot in your life that has been normal, so enjoy this bit of normalcy before you have to completely join the adult world. Oh wait, you’re raising a one-year-old, never mind.

 

Good news I have a teacher. She’s Sue’s friend, Gina Reyes. Have you met her? Is there something wrong or is she just being really benevolent? She had known what’s really going on this ship. Sulu tells his baby’s mama too much.

 

The grandparents were horrible to mom and to me for that matter. Sam was their favorite. So obviously, you understand why we were no longer on speaking terms with that side of the family after you came to live with us. My earliest memory is Nana making me cry as she cursed me on my birthday. She blames me for her son being dead. She actually told me that, more than once. So I hope that baby K never had to deal with that, no child should.

 

I’m okay if I don’t hear from you again because you might already be on your way here by the time this reaches you. If I don’t get a chance to speak with you again before then; happy studying, get good grades and we will definitely try to do some fun things while you’re here. You can tell me all the joys of taking care of small children. So is it easier or harder than Winona sitting? I’m still trying to decide. Although the picture of Desi going headfirst into a plate of French toast at your Mother’s Day brunch makes me think worse. Is she actually covered in blueberry syrup? I wonder if that stained the couch. I think I’m sticking with teenagers. Less messy.

 

They are starting to behave, themselves a little. Mostly. Nobody’s tried to break into engineering for alcohol since we were rescued from the planet. I take my victories where I can.

To be continued

Chapter 48: Day 95: Catching up

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely wonderful

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Time arrived: 5/26/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Sorry, it’s been so long

Hey Jo Jo.

Sorry I haven’t written for a while. I’m sure you know by now that I have joint custody of baby Sulu. She’s still adorable, but mobile. She’s an expert crawler and really starting to walk. Baby proofing the new apartment was necessary. In addition, finals prep and moving into my new apartment with Liz. I hate moving. Moving with an 11-month-old is the worst. I don’t know how she has so many toys. We packed like four boxes of just toys. It is probably because she spoiled, but adorable.

The new apartment is nice, two bedrooms with all the amenities. Although Liz’s mom lives next door. She pops over a lot. Your new grandma also lives in the building. We ran into her in the elevator a lot. And we may have had to correct her on the fact that Nyota is your adopted mom, not your stepmom. The stepmom thing would be highly inaccurate anyway since they are not legally married yet. When are they going to make it legal? It’s like they’re married, except no marriage license or contract.

Final exams are final exams awful and soul crushing and I’m not even taking them for another week. All it been doing is studying and writing my term paper for my Starfleet history class which is mentally draining on its own. I probably should have explained to my professor why I shouldn’t write a paper on analyzing what went wrong during the Tarsus catastrophe, but my therapist says it’s better to confront the past, then run away from it. It was totally random anyway. It’s not like she would’ve known. The only people who now are people that I’ve told like you.

The cuddle breaks with Desi have been helping but I’m still counting down the days until it’s all over with. Of course the last 24 hours are going to be the worst because I’m going to have to take all my exams within the first two days because of coming to see you and Jim. We’re taking Starfleet transport. So we have to leave when they tell us, and that means condensed finals. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if I slept the entire ride to Yorktown. I feel like I’m living on two hours of sleep a night. I’m so glad Desi is almost a toddler and sleeps through the night.

Despite that, I am looking forward to Yorktown. It’s supposed to be the future diplomatic hub the Federation. Almost every member state of the Federation and a few ally planets will also have embassies and a few will be opening while were up there. I’m excited.

I’m also happy that we will be able to hang out in person. I miss our movie nights. Don’t worry, I’m bringing the good junk food. We have to do one while wearing Yorktown. I need a break from my brother and mom anyway. Those two can be intense. Also slightly annoyed with big Brothers weird reckless behavior. Although maybe that’s because were getting closer to the anniversary of when he died. Seriously. Now these messages are taking like days to get here and I got those suckers the next day. I have a lot of baggage. You’re aware.

It’s obvious I’m afraid of losing him. Did anybody tell you how I acted when my brother was getting married. I was kind of like Desi with for toys. You watch your entire family be killed in front of you and you end up with issues. It’s to be expected. You think that you’ve dealt with that fear and then you realize that you haven’t. There’s this old rock/hip-hop song that Jim used to play that said grief was something that you deal with over and over again. I think that was the title. But it’s true. Over time it will happen less often but it will still keep happening. I’m pretty resigned to the fact I’m probably never going to get out of therapy.

So how is life on the USS Enterprise, right now? Do you have to do finals? Sue’s friend Gina is going to be your new teacher next semester. She’s cool. She brings Desi the best toys. Sorry that there’s no breaks, but hey you’ll be out of high school sooner. That’s always a good thing.

Anyway, write back when you have a chance.

Xxxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Kevin KR
Time sent: 5/26/2260 12:23:01
Subject: Re: Sorry, it’s been so long

Don’t apologize. I understand. You’re still writing me more than any of my old friends. We been here for more than three months and still not one letter.

Yes, I have finals. I would think that junior high finals are not as bad as Starfleet finals, but I wonder about that. It’s definitely harder than what I had in Georgia. I think because our teacher is leaving she’s being extra hard on us. It’s like she’s punishing us for making her quit, which is not fair to me because I was actually good to her.
I have to do three papers, one for English, one for history, and one for xeno-cultural studies. Uncle, Spock is helping me but I think talking about old Vulcan is probably just as hard as you writing about Tarsus. I’m trying to do as much of the research on my own as I can, but there’s a lot of stuff he knows that’s not in the books.

I know that song. Uncle Jim gave me the whole album, the parts of the album that have survived to this day, anyway. Uncle Jim always complains about how much music was lost before first contact. His therapist gave it to him after Sam died. He said it helped him, so maybe it would help me. It did a little.

I’m still working through things. Mother’s Day went okay. Even though I sent mommy Nyota’s mom present without actually telling her first. Uncle Scotty helped. She wasn’t happy when she found out, but I want my mom to have a good relationship with her mom. At least she still around to fix things. Although after I explained that to mommy Nyota that she just hugged me and cried a lot.

I tried not to think about my biological mom, but it didn’t work. I don’t know how I’m going to deal with the anniversary. We are supposed to be back exploring by that point. I saw what the Ashley’s went through a couple of weeks ago and I’m worried. I’m always going to be dealing with it, right?

I’m looking forward to seeing you guys too. I’m starting to make friends with Ashley 2 and J, but it’s not the same. Also, sometimes I think there with me for the contraband snackfood. I should probably send a thank you email to my aunt for the vast quantity of orioles. The real things are always better than the replicated version. Jeremy is still an asshole. Everybody is hoping that his mom gets transferred but Uncles Jim and Spock can’t do that without a good reason, and they have yet to find one.

I don’t think mom Nyota and dad will ever going to get married. Mom Nyota says that they’re both committed to me and that’s more important than a marriage license. Although I would be okay with the wedding. I want to be a flower girl. I’m still mad other mom wouldn’t let me go to your brother’s wedding. I’m still mad at her for a lot of things. She’s dead. Why am I still mad? I should focus my anger on the aunt that didn’t do anything but I’m not sure if that’s any better. I probably should go talk to Margarita. Or work in my therapy Journal. I’m on book number two now.

Anyway, I need to stop this letter so I can actually eat lunch before I have to be back in class. We are doing a final review for the other courses that I have to take tests for. I just try to remind myself that I’m going to be done early. That’s the only thing that helps me get through some days.
To be continued

Chapter 49: Day 99: Now On Our Way

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. You are all absolutely lovely.

Chapter Text

 

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 5/31/2260 00:00:01

Subject: We will be there soon.

 

I have a feeling that by the time you read this, I may be halfway to Yorktown or reading it over your shoulder. Being a lifelong Starfleet Brat, neither scenario surprises me. But right now, I am three days out from leaving, and typing this email out after unsuccessfully trying to sleep on my sister’s couch in her new Starfleet apartment. I’m pretty sure this place is nicer than where we lived when I was a kid. Of course, none of my parents were ever higher than a captain. Mom has really come up in the Starfleet world.

 

And this is not even the apartment she is entitled to have as the head of Starfleet. It’s just a regular admiral’s apartment. Pike is just down the hall and Rodriguez is two floors down. Nyota’s mom is also a floor below. I may have been coerced into bringing some gifts for her daughter and grandchild. I think Liz and Kevin may have got the adoption point across to her. Although maybe it was mom. Anyone who doesn’t think Liz is mom’s baby girl can seriously get fucked.

 

Good news, mom is not totally freaking out about Liz and Kevin sharing a room without a wedding ring or marriage contract. It’s progress. Although she is kind of driving us crazy with preparing for me going back into space and being Desi’s new mommy.

 

Yes, I am freaking out about leaving my child behind for a year. Why am I doing this? I’m sure all the same thoughts were going through your head last February. I pray that Gina will make the Starfleet minors on Enterprise program work so we can bring Desi with us at some point down the road. Fingers crossed. At the same time, I’m kind of sad that Gina won’t be around to help backup Liz, but she has Kevin. He’s not going anywhere, but well, his mom is… Yeah, I can’t think of a better word than problematic. We couldn’t have champagne at my Mother’s Day brunch because of her. She’s trying. But I’m worried that he might be distracted with her. Especially if she falls off the wagon.

 

So you should know Gina is lovely and I totally expect you to watch her back while she is on ship. Also I expect you to keep your teenage BFF away from her. I don’t know why you’re still friends with him either, but it’s probably the weird nature of Starfleet.

 

Also, maybe I have a different expectation of how a 19-year-old is supposed to act. Liz and Kevin are weird because of tragedy and growing up way too fast. Pav is probably a perfectly well-adjusted 19-year-old which totally explains why he went for the “oh my God, we’re going to die” sex. I really can’t say anything because I’ve done it too. Why do you think that emergency kits contain prophylactics? Everyone will get stranded on a planet at least once during their Starfleet career, especially in your command.

 

Okay boyfriend update, because the man is probably too busy at work and with legal proceedings to update you. His former in-laws are still awful people. I know their son died in Starfleet. I know their son died because of bad decisions and traps created by [redacted]. But that does not give them the right to take out their grief and frustration on their son’s widow. Ben does not deserve their shit. He’s the kindest, gentlest man I’ve ever met. He is a wonderful father. He loves baby K to pieces. Yes I said that during my deposition today or rather yesterday since it’s after midnight here now.

 

So good news, Ben and baby K will be going with us to Yorktown. Bad news, that when he gets back, there’s going to be another hearing or possibly arbitration. It depends on what the judge decides tomorrow. Although their bigotry is showing so Shawn thinks that it’s going to be done quickly, regardless. We shall see.

 

I have my going away party tomorrow. The first will be the traditional Starfleet teachers’ party with cookie cake and soda after I administer my final exam later this morning. Afterwards is the real party with vast amounts of alcohol and stories that I want to forget will happen at whatever bar they choose. And you know when alcohol is involved lips will get really loose, not that they actually need the liquor. So good news, everyone at work thinks my ex-boyfriend is an asshole and I got so lucky that you ended up being the father of my child. Yes, they all know about the three-way and excruciatingly embarrassing details.

 

Did I tell you that I had my ex-boyfriend’s sister in class? Yes, the one that ran my sister and Kevin Kirk out of the dorms. Yeah, I’m glad the semester is over with. Did I mention that on the last day of class, she told everybody how Desi got here? Barnett wants to suspend her for a semester, but mom thinks it would look bad. I think she’s going to flunk out of the Academy all on her own anyway. I’m glad I must leave for the Hamilton early, so I don’t have to grade her exam. Her writing is just that bad.

 

Anyway, I’m going to cut this short because I need to sleep. I have exams to give in the morning.

 

Anyway, if I don’t write to you before Yorktown, know that me and the baby miss you and love you to pieces and we’re excited to spend some time together.

 

PS: Yes, I’m bringing you more snacks and fencing equipment for the new Enterprise Junior fencing club. Actually Starfleet is paying for the extra fencing equipment because you’re keeping the kids docile. Mom is all for that. No one wants the Starfleet minors program to work more than her.

Xxx.

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 5/31/2260 06:21:01

Subject: Re: We will be there soon.

I’m also excited to see you, the boyfriend, and the kids. Yes, this did take forever to get here. We are currently making our way to Yorktown as we play diplomatic fairy. The ship is also now full of future Yorktown crewmembers. Some of us with private rooms are doubling up to make space. Sleeping on Scotty’s couch is not where I thought I would be, but it beats the alternative.

 

Allegedly, we are only a few days out from Yorktown and should get there the day before Desi’s b-day, but it’s probably going to take us longer than that. We have to pick up one more diplomatic team tomorrow and that probably will go badly.

 

I’m glad that Gina is coming. Okay, I’m glad we are just getting another teacher because I also want the program to work so we can live with Desi at some point in the future. It’s so hard to be away from her. But what we do in Starfleet is for the greater good. There wouldn’t be an Earth right now if it wasn’t for Jim. I wish there was still a Vulcan, but we tried. At least our actions allowed more to evacuate.

 

I just kind of want to hug my boyfriend really badly. I’m glad that the judge is going to let me do that. Although I wish they would’ve totally settled things before the trip, but I guess the judge is taking his time. I wrote Ben a few days ago, but I haven’t heard anything back. He’s probably just busy with the former in-laws and thankfully packing.

 

For the record, no one who graduated Starfleet Academy at 17 is well-adjusted. You won’t have to worry about Pav coming onto Gina because he has a girlfriend. They’re casual, and usually only hooking up when Ashley three is in fencing practice, but maybe there’s something there. Of course it could totally fall apart. Because again he’s 19 and Sanchez is 36. That’s a big age difference.

 

It’s highly probable this is just a physical relationship. Her niece has no clue what’s going on. That’s a bad sign. Now that I’m dating with children, I know that your children only know once it become something serious.

 

Thank your mom for sending more equipment for fencing and other activities. I think we’re making progress. All of the Ashleys are now joining in on the lessons. So it’s basically everybody but Jeremy. If things keep improving, when Gina gets here, we might get another four students for the pilot. I’m trying to decide if that’s good or bad thing. It probably depends on if they’re not like Jeremy. We shall see.

 

Yes, I’m excited to see everyone and to spend some time together. I’m just thankful that I’m not the missing the baby’s first birthday.

 

BTW, Jim has decided he is throwing the baby a birthday party and I can’t talk him out of it. Spock can’t either. I think this might be his way of dealing with his own birthday related trauma. I also think that he doesn’t want to associate Desi with the terrible things that happened to him as a child. I’m sure Kevin probably has stories. I’m just starting to realize how much baggage Jim has.

 

One last thing, could you be the most wonderful person in the universe and look in those packages that Nyota’s mom gave you to give to her and Josephine. Nyota has a really complicated relationship with her mom. They’ve emailed each other a couple of times since we’ve been here, but it’s tense. Josephine sent her mom a cookie bouquet on Nyota’s behalf for Mother’s Day because she wants the two to have a better relationship. Nyota wasn’t happy with that but appreciated the gesture in the end. Maybe that’s what’s triggering the presents.

 

I totally agree that there is probably a 50-50 chance that I will be reading this message over your shoulder, but all the same, give the babies a cuddle for me. Miss you all and I can’t wait until we get to spend some time together.

To be continued

Chapter 50: Day 101: Yorktown here we come

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. We are getting closer and closer to Yorktown and Demora day.

 

I realized that I was accidentally using the day Jim died instead of the day Chris died when I was planning the dates for these chapters. Thankfully, I caught it in time and I took a big jump of a few days, in another chapter so I could correct things. So, baby Demora’s birthday is June 4, 2259 and Chris died on June 5, 2259. Jim died on June 9, 2259 and was revived shortly thereafter. I really should’ve made a chart beforehand.

 

Other continuity mistakes I’ve made that I’ve recently discovered such as including a June 31 and forgetting that I gave Sulu nieces. Now the children are his sister’s stepchildren that he still considers nieces unless that messes up something else I said. Also, Jim and Spock’s wedding anniversary is now June 30. This is what happens when you write a story for eight years.

Chapter Text

 

 

 

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: So good news, the judge took my side.

Time arrived: 6/02/2260 00:00:01

Hey, sweetie!

 

 I’m on my way to you. We are in the car making our way to Starfleet right now to board the ship that will take us there. This is the first time I’ve been on a Starfleet ship. Zach never took me, not even to show off where he would be stationed. I guess I will have to get used to it. Your daughter being the granddaughter of the head of Starfleet does have some perks. I’m nervous and happy. Happy because I’m going to get to see you soon and because the judge is letting the trip take place at all, but I am nervous because I really don’t like flying. I think I’m going to have to be drugged.

 

Unfortunately, the decision to let us come visit you is just a temporary reprieve. The unwelcome news is that I will still be battling them for custody when we get back. The judge wants us to try arbitration first. I don’t know how that’s going to work because they want complete control over my daughter’s life as well as mine.

 

I’m kind of jealous of how you and Sue can just work so seamlessly with each other. Even your families get along and are somewhat supportive of her decisions and choices. They’re not trying to make her feel like the bad guy.

 

Zach’s parents never liked me. I know I’ve told you this, but it feels like it’s gotten worse and I don’t think it’s just because I put my baby in Starfleet daycare. I’m willing to try arbitration, but I’m not sure what it’s going to accomplish. You can’t reason with people who don’t want to be reasoned with or compromise for that matter. 

 

I’m going to try not to think about it until July. So, I’m just going to enjoy these couple of weeks with the kids and later with you. There is no point over stressing about something that I can’t fix right now.      

 

I am really looking forward to seeing you soon. I have made babysitting arrangements for our first night together. Have I mentioned how much I absolutely adore your baby’s mom? Sue really was the best person ever for you to have accidentally got pregnant during a three-way.

xxxx

From: Number_one_Pike

 

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

Time arrived: 06/02/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: I’m okay-ish

Don’t cry for me, James. I’m OK-ish.  I am sad that I’m not getting to see you for a while, but I do have plans. I will not wallow more than necessary. I must dedicate the Memorial with Chen. Then we’re doing a spa day. Yes, she is sad that she’s going to miss her granddaughter’s first birthday and seeing her daughter off to the Hamilton but it’s hard to get a day off when you oversee the organization.

 

I miss my husband. Chris was the love of my life. I don’t think I’m never not going to miss him, but at least we had some beautiful years together. I am always going to treasure what we had, not wallow in the regrets of what didn’t happen.

 

So yes, I’m sad. I’m going to try to think of all the good things like the silly emails he would send me when he was away. The way he hid chocolates everywhere. I’m not sure I have found all the hiding places. There would also be these little notes on post-its. Okay, I’m crying right now, but I’m processing.

 

Some days I’m sad and some days I’m mad. Some days I want to throw things and some days I forget that he’s not with me anymore. And I keep saying goodbye again and again and again. I can’t stay trapped in that grief. I must keep pushing forward, even if some days I am barely holding it together. I try to focus on the good because Chris was the type of person that would always see the good in people. He always knew you would do important things. He believed in you and he was right.

 

I think the best way to move forward is to honor Chris’s memory. To try to be that good that he saw in us every day. We must hold on to our good memories of Chris, even though I kind of sort of want to cry a lot somedays. Next year, I’m figuring out a way not to have to participate in any Starfleet sanctioned Memorial events. This is going to all be awful, but I’m a big damn girl. So, I will do what I must.

 

Don’t worry about me because again I’ll get through it. Focus on baby D’s party and spending time with your mom and brother.  (I really hope the fact that you’re getting closer to Yorktown means you will get this message sooner.) Winona is really looking forward to this visit. She misses you a lot. I think it will be good to see you in all your Starfleet co-captain glory.

 

She’s doing good here in San Francisco. Honestly, this is the best I’ve seen her in years. I think it helps that she is close to Kevin, but also away from the ghosts of Iowa. Here in San Francisco, I feel like she can focus on her own recovery and that’s been happening. Now she’s looking for other things to fill her days.

 

We’ve been talking a lot, especially with a certain anniversary coming up soon about starting an actual support group for Starfleet widows. We’ve been calling ourselves the Starfleet Widows Club for a while, but after some conversations that I’ve been having with Ben, Winona, and Chen, I feel like there needs to be an actual support group. Even though we’ve all become members of this club for several reasons, there’s still this sisterhood among us and other people need that as well.

 

No, Jim, I’m not going to try to come up with a gender-neutral term for that. Get over it. Those three understand more of what I’m feeling, then pretty much any of my other friends and I feel like other people need that as well. If I’m going to be a leader in this organization, I might as well do something useful. Maybe that’s what I’ll try to focus on over these next few days. It’s more productive than crying right?

 

I feel like I’m making it up as I go along, but I’ll find my own path.

 

Anyway, send me pictures of the party and of anything else fun you do. I expect a full report.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

 

To: Benjamin_2254

 

Subject: Re: So good news, the judge took my side.

Time sent: 06/02/2260 05:45:01

Okay, we are going to be spending a lot of time just de-stressing you as well as celebrating. I wonder if I can arrange for a massage? I think the station is pretty bare-bones right now, but I will make sure you have a good day. Thank you for arranging for the babysitters ahead of time. We will take advantage of that at night, at least. I do want to spend some time with the girls, but you need me to.

 

I am still sorry about the in-laws. Is it mean for me to say I think you’re going to get an upgrade this time around? I’m confident you are, but that may not be saying much. I’m just sorry that you must deal with all of this because you shouldn’t need to. You guys should be mutually supporting each other. I’m sorry you don’t have that.

 

So, we are only about a day out from Yorktown with a ship full of stuff and way too many people. For all I know I could beat this letter, but since you’re on your way, maybe it won’t. You might already be there. I’m glad you’re coming, and I can’t wait to spend time with you.

 

Love you and just keep positive thoughts. Everything I’ve heard about Shawn has pointed to the fact that he is a legal pit bull. You are in good hands.

xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Number_one_Pike

 

Time arrived: 06/02/2260 21:19:01

 

Subject: Re: I’m okay-ish

 

Okay now you have me digging for my collection for that song again. Honestly, I think we all are making it up as we go along. Grief is not linear. Margarita reiterated that point.

I think a spa day is a clever idea for you after the official Memorial dedication. Not such a great idea, but I think you’ll do better than mom ever did. Please just stay away from the complimentary champagne. That was always Winona’s undoing. That’s also how I ended up meeting Admiral Barnett’s wife as a baby before they were even together. She may have changed my diaper when Winona was way too wasted to do so.

 

I completely endorse the idea of the Starfleet’s widow club/support group. I think it’s a clever idea. If you get it off the ground, I will sponsor a chapter here, if I never become a member. Spock is mine forever and ever.

 

I’m also dreading the anniversary as we get closer. I never had a dad until Chris. Winona did her best, but she was already an alcoholic before Tarsus and then after losing Sam, I think Kevin is the only reason why she didn’t succumb to alcohol poisoning long ago. So, support is good and I’m glad you have Chen and mom and even Sulu’s boyfriend. You’re right. Other people need that to. So, go forth and sponsor an actual organization.

 

Okay, I am willing to acknowledge that maybe I am planning a birthday party for a one-year-old to totally distract myself from what that day really means as well as the fact only a few days later will be the only anniversary of my death. Yes, I am totally screwed up. I am very aware of that.

 

I almost died a year ago. That’s something that I’m still trying to process. There’s a lot of guilt tied up with the fact that I’m still here and other people I love are not. That’s something that I’m going to probably be processing for a long time. Margarita and Spock are trying to help me deal, but I’m still asking myself the questions. Why am I the one still here? Why wasn’t I on Tarsus? Why was Chris the target? Why was Admiral Marcus so hell bent on war with the Klingons? Why was I his target? Those questions I ask myself repeatedly and I don’t know the answer of why and I don’t think I’ll ever know the answer to why. Is there an answer? I’m not sure.

 

Margarita says self-care is important. This is probably why she’s arranged for me to have sessions while she’s technically on vacation. I have one the day after the birthday party and one on my survivor day. That’s how she wants me to think of it. She’s a good therapist. We need like three more.

 

Really between Vulcan and San Francisco, I think half my crew has PTSD. Okay, maybe more support groups. It’s an option. I’ll talk to snookums about it, but not during sex because apparently, I’m not supposed to talk about important things when one of us is in the other. Although, if we don’t talk about important things during sex, then we will never have sex because this job is exhausting and really a 24-hour affair. Being married to your boss is just hard. Although, being married to your subordinate was also hard, although technically that never happened because I was “demoted” before the wedding. This is also confusing.

 

Anyway, I know you’re going to get this after the party, but I promise I will send you pictures and video. I’m looking forward to spending time with my little niece. She’s so cute. Babies make everything less awkward. I hope so anyway.

To be continued

Chapter 51: Day 102: Welcome to Yorktown, please excuse the mess

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely lovely.

So a few notes before we get on to today’s conversation. We are now at Yorktown, at least some of our people are. Because of that, our storytelling format will adjust and we are going to be closer in style to the day zero prologue. Some of the chapters may even be longer than usual. We also are going to have back to back day chapters until we leave Yorktown. It’s so much easier to get quick responses when you’re at the same place.
Also remember this is day 102 and not 900 and something. So rest easy that some things will not come to pass, just yet, anyway. Will they come to pass, I will not tell.

Chapter Text

Ling-ChenSX: OK I thought I would try Starfleet instant messaging you because I think you might be in range or will be soon. I heard Enterprise is supposed to be docking within the next two hours. Also, I’m sure you keep your PADD on you, mostly to look at baby videos during the dull moments.

Me: Actually an hour. I think Scotty did something in the engine room. Although maybe he just went in to get all those extra engineers out of his sanctuary. It’s too crowded.

Ling-ChenSX: I figured it would be.

Me: Is the Hamilton already there?

Ling-ChenSX: Yes, it arrived a couple of days ago. It arrived earlier than planned due to an incident with some rogue Klingons, but the repairs have been done and we should be leaving on schedule.

Me: Do I want to know?

Ling-ChenSX: No. It’s too classified for me to tell you anyway. My captain was glad that I am back. The person who substituted for me during the maternity leave is not.

Me: How not happy?

Ling-ChenSX: He called me a slut in Mandarin. Apparently, I’m only getting the job that should be his permanently because my mom is in charge of Starfleet. Either that or I’m fucking the Captain.

Me: That’s absolute bullshit. You don’t even go by your mom’s last name professionally. You shouldn’t have to deal with jealous assholes.

Ling-ChenSX: Jealous, insecure people are most of my acquaintances. Although, at least it’s better than when I was accused of getting where I am on my back.
Me: Jim deals with the same rumors.

Ling-ChenSX: I’m not even surprised. Everybody settling in?

Ling-ChenSX: Yes. We are all in the same building even though your boyfriend should be in civilian housing. But I guess since he’s your boyfriend, they probably realize that you guys could easily share a family room. It saves space especially because half of the apartments are still being furnished. I’m pretty sure they just replicated the couches in my room about five minutes before we got there. Actually, I think we passed it being brought up in the hallway.

Me: That makes sense. They only finished the main construction, I think about four months ago. Maybe?

Ling-ChenSX: I think so. The place probably won’t be really complete for another year, but the more personnel they can move in, the faster things will go. The Hamilton dropped off a bunch of people too.

Me: How is my boyfriend doing? Did he get sick on the flight here? I know he has a history of motion sickness and hates flying and that was before what happened to his first husband.

Ling-ChenSX: Your boyfriend is doing well and ridiculously excited to see you. You are one lucky boy. I think he brought handcuffs and toys.

Me: I hope your mom doesn’t read that.

Ling-ChenSX: If she reads that sentence, then she deserves whatever she gets.

Me: Was the flight okay?

Ling-ChenSX: Good news, your boyfriend didn’t get motion sickness. Bad news, I think my sister got a stomach virus. Fingers crossed, the kids don’t catch it. She has been throwing up a lot.

Me: You’re sure it’s not morning sickness?

Ling-ChenSX: Mom would kill Kevin and we would never find the body. However, your doctor boyfriend ran a scan, it’s definitely not baby sickness. We haven’t told Kevin that yet. I think I’m going to let him sweat it out for a few days.

Me: You are kind of cruel.

 

Ling-ChenSX: Not cruel, practical. I didn’t realize that my last boyfriend was a complete asshole until the pregnancy tests came back positive.

Ling-ChenSX: Has Kevin passed?

Ling-ChenSX: With flying colors. He brought her ginger ale and held her hair back as she threw up.

Me: Good. Speaking of good boyfriends, where is mine right now? Is he somewhere I can message him?

Ling-ChenSX: Unfortunately, no. Your boyfriend is currently looking over the set up for the pediatric clinic. Actually, I have both of the kids right now. We are walking around the pond or the fountain in the center of Yorktown. I don’t know what to call the thing. It is pretty.

Me: Have the kids managed to dive headfirst into the water?
Ling-ChenSX: Not yet. Although I’m sure it will happen before we leave.

Me: Probably

Me: Hey I have to go. We are coming out of warp so it’s time for me to park. If I keep texting you, Captain Spock is going to take my communicator away.

Ling-ChenSX: Totally understandable.

Ling-ChenSX: I sent him a message to leave early so he can meet you at the arrivals area. I assume that you’re going to be on the last batch to leave the ship.
Xxx
Yes, he was one of the last people off the ship. He got to watch his captain and his other captain discreetly make out Vulcan style in the transporter room. Thankfully it didn’t make him sad, like usual because he would be seeing his boyfriend any minute. And yes, Sue did get him there. Both of the girls are with him along with Sue, dressed in her uniform. He guessed the maternity leave really is over.

He quickly runs over. But baby D, who is now walking, ran over to him to wrap an arm around his leg. Or as much as a one-year-old can. He quickly scoops her in his arms and kissed her on the forehead. He feels like he’s going to cry, but he doesn’t because Ben is kissing him on the mouth. He’s pretty sure C was taking video of it. OK he knows she’s taking video of it

“As soon as you’re done feeling up your boyfriend’s tonsils, I expect a hug.” Sue said from beside the couple. “You guys can make out later or do other things when I take the babies to see my new ship this afternoon after my meeting with the Admiral.” At that moment Ben stopped kissing so he could hug Sue.

“I miss you too.

“But not as much is your boyfriend.” He said kissing her cheek.

“You are family too.”
Xxxx

Big Brother: OK as much as I absolutely enjoy getting sobbed on by mom and having my leg hugged for dear life, by my favorite baby niece, I was totally expecting you and the girlfriend to greet me.

Big Brother: Or at least be a buffer with mom. I think she may have crushed Spock. Do you know how hard it is to crush a Vulcan? He doesn’t even really bruise with rough sex. Yet my husband now has Mom shaped bruises.

Me: Don’t tell me stuff like that. Otherwise I’m going to be the one throwing up.

Big Brother: Throwing up?

Me: Liz threw up on my shoes and we had to go change.

Big Brother: If you got her pregnant, we are all so fucked. Mom will kill you and the Admiral will use you know what to bring you back just so she can kill you herself.

Me: Definitely not pregnant. I am on the shot, Liz is on the patch, and we usually use condoms just for extra precaution because neither one of us wants another kid besides baby D right now.

Big Brother: Are you sure?

Me: Yes. Ben is a pediatrician and he did a scan. No baby, just a stomach virus that’s lasting way too long. Due to a slightly compromised immune system because of her time on the planet of the damned and growing up in space, Liz picked up the virus running around the ship that took us here when none of the rest of us got it, including me. Although I was hoping she would get better by now.

Big Brother: I will see if Bones will make a house call. He has magical hypos.

Me: Good idea. Have him bring Josephine. We have presents from her grandmother and aunt.

Big Brother: Will do. You know, part of me wonders if this is just an excuse to avoid quality mom time.

Me: No, she’s really sick and I just spent a week with mom on the ship. Besides, Liz likes Mom. I’m just not sure how things will be with you, Mom, and the husband.

Big Brother: Okay so far. Nobody’s crying, and Spock did not have to nerve pinch her, so I think we can count this as a win. But it was only like 15 minutes before we turned her over to the Sulu family for lunch. Spock and I have a meeting with the commanders so we’re going to have to have a late lunch, after. This is a working stop for me and Spock pie.

Me: I understand. Sue has the same meeting.

Big Brother: That explains why mom already made plans to eat with the Sulus.

Me: I think she is best friends with Ben now. Seriously have they become best friends?

Big Brother: Both of them lost their husbands to horribly disturbed Romulans.

Me: Same horribly disturbed Romulan.

Big Brother: Technically, you’re not supposed to know that. Dinner tonight?

Me: That works. Sue wants to spend as much time with the kids as possible before leaving on the Hamilton and I can’t subject small children to our family dinners.

Big Brother: That’s wise.

Me: Oh Liz wanted to tell you that she did bring all the stuff for tomorrow’s b-day celebration.

Big Brother: Including the enterprise Pinata?

Me: She brought 2. The kid’s version and made a bachelorette party version filled with condoms.

Big Brother: I absolutely love your girlfriend. She’s like the best.

Me: She is mine. You have your Vulcan.

Big Brother: It’s possible. And now he’s glaring at me. I have to go. We will see you at dinner tonight.

Me: We will be there. I will also make sure that most of the dishes contains chocolate because even though we can’t drink because it would trigger mom, I think it would help everyone if your husband is sufficiently tipsy.

Big Brother: Spock says thank you.
To be continued.

Chapter 52: Day 103: B-Day

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely. So a reminder that while we are at Yorktown there will probably be at least one chapter per day. There’s just a lot of stuff going on especially because Yorktown coincides with the one-year anniversary of the events of Star Trek Into Darkness in this universe. We have a lot of baggage to unpack.

Chapter Text

 

 

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Just Checking in

Time arrived: 6/04/2260 00:00:01

 

OK, so if I calculated things correctly, you should be getting this letter on the day after baby Sulu’s first birthday also known as the day your father figure was killed. I thought you could use all the encouragement you can get today.

 

I know these anniversaries are rough especially the first one. As you know from way too much experience, the first one is always the worst. It’s part of the reason why I know I have to reach out today. And not just to you, but also to Nhi, so don’t worry she’s getting her own letter and possibly a chocolate bouquet. I feel like it’s my requirement as a fellow member of the widows club. I really wish they would deliver those to this planet.

 

I also understand things from your perspective. Not only have I lost a spouse, I have lost a parental substitute and mentor. I didn’t have the best family life. I didn’t even know that family could be somewhat functional until I got married and then I ended up inheriting a bunch of nieces, several of them who wanted to be therapist. I don’t get it either, but here we are.

 

Dr. Matteson believed in me when no one else did. She helped me stay in school when I felt like I couldn’t make it. She even made sure I wasn’t living on a Ramen diet. Even as a somewhat utopic society, we still have a little way to go when it comes to food security.  She even helped me get into Starfleet. I cried more when she died then when I lost my mom. I always promised myself I would pay it forward by being like her.

 

So just remember I’m always here for you. It may take me a few days or even a couple of weeks to respond, but I’m always going to be here. I think I told you before that you’re kind of like my kid. Which is totally why I can’t be your therapist anymore, but I’m happy to be one of your mom figures. I think you have a whole village of them.

 

PS: I better get some party pictures. I’ve heard baby Sulu is the cutest from Kevin. He writes, but forgets to send pictures.

Xxxx            

 

Hey McCoy-Uhura family.  

 

It’s so weird writing this on actual paper, but apparently cards are still a thing. Enjoy this care package. I thought you guys could use more goodies. Theoretically, you probably got my last care package less than a month ago, but you can never have enough chocolate unless you’re allergic to the stuff.

 

In addition to the chocolate, cookies and other edibles, I’ve included more art supplies as well as some entertainment chips, including the first 100 years of Marvel comics. I’ve been informed that streaming entertainment doesn’t always work when you’re deep in space. Therefore, entertainment chips are crucial. I also included supplies for arts and crafts such as real paint. The replicator stuff just isn’t the same.  

 

To update you on me, I am still not talking to dad. He has the new trophy wife to keep him warm. Actually, I am thinking of getting the hell out of Georgia. I stayed before to stay close to Jo Jo, but she is now millions of miles away in space. The new therapist thinks it’s a good idea. Yes, I am fully aware I’m kind of a hot mess, but the therapist you suggested is helping. Leonard, thank you for the recommendation.

 

Anyway, shoot me a message when you get a chance.

 

Xxxxx

From: LeonardUM

 

To: Legal Queen of Atlanta

 

Subject: Thank you for the update and the care package

 

Time sent: 6/04/2260 08:34:01

 

I’m sorry I didn’t send a thank you note when we got your last package. We were kind of in the middle of a diplomatic crisis. I really thought interplanetary incidents involving sexual misconduct wouldn’t happen once Spock was in charge. Obviously, I’m an idiot.

 

However, now that I am stuck on this snow globe hanging in the middle of nowhere, I have time to do stuff. I would’ve written yesterday, but I had to make sure that Jim’s brother didn’t accidentally knock up his girlfriend. No just the misfortune of catching some weird space virus on the shuttle here because space is a disease infested cesspool. The entire family would’ve been sick within 24 hours if I didn’t start sticking them with preventative hypos. That would have ruined tonight’s birthday party. Jo Jo is looking forward to it. I am there to make sure Jim doesn’t eat all the cake. He stress eats when he is depressed or under a lot of pressure and well tomorrow is going to be the one year anniversary of the death of his good dad. So I expect a lot of stress eating at today’s birthday party.

 

Jo Jo appreciates the arts and craft stuff. She’s glad you sent more with the shipment. She agrees real paint is better than replicated paint. And yes, streaming entertainment can be sketchy and at least under Marcus, they were cheap with what the ship had in the databanks. The new people are slowly improving things, but they have bigger problems to worry about beyond ship entertainment.

 

 I’m sure she’ll write you when she’s not busy hanging out with her baby best friend. It is just she thinks baby Sulu is the best baby in the world. I think this might be because your sister never let her play with dolls. Sure she had them in her room, but she wasn’t really allowed to play.

 

I think getting out of Georgia might be good for you. Your old man has his hands in too many pots, even though people are starting to see him for the monster that he truly is. Maybe a fresh start will do you good. I hated leaving Jo Jo behind, but I think going into Starfleet saved me. Not just financially, but emotionally. I think I would’ve drowned in the bottle otherwise. Jim’s experiences with his alcoholic mom helped me keep things in perspective.

 

I’m also happy to hear that you’re talking to somebody, especially with the anniversary fast approaching. I hope you’re able to find peace. We all have our ghosts. Some more than others.

Xx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Re: Just Checking in

Time sent: 6/04/2260 10:15:54

Actually, your calculations were a little off. Your message arrived the day of baby Sulu’s birthday celebration. I think the fact that I am now on a space station means I’m getting emails a little earlier.

 

Right now I am trying to focus on baby D’s party. They’ve already totally fucked up the cake. It contains strawberries. That means I can’t eat the cake and I really wanted a slice of cake. Part of me thinks Bones did it on purpose, but I know he wouldn’t risk something like that. Thankfully Spock said he would get me a separate cake. At least I found out about the strawberries before I ate it. I hope the baby is not allergic. Bones would be so upset.

 

But everything else is going well. We were able to secure the venue and all the decorations have been replicated. We are doing a Disney princess theme with a focus on Mulan because that’s the baby’s favorite. Also, Spock only thinks I’m slightly crazy, but he understands how ridiculously important this is all to me. He is well aware of my birthday issues. Thanks, grandma.

 

I had dinner last night with Winona, Kevin, and Liz. I think my mom likes Kevin’s girlfriend better than my husband, but that’s probably because she has known Liz since Tarsus hell. That was a bonding experience. She’s pleasant enough around Spock, but less guarded than last time. Definitely, less openly hostile than before. It probably helps that Winona is really sober. Mom and Kevin have been telling me that for months, but I didn’t believe it until I saw it with my eyes. I’m actually glad that she’s making progress.

 

OK other updates: Yorktown is lovely even if it is still under partial construction. I kind of like the bustle of it. If I ever get tired of starship life, space station life maybe an option. Spock can do science and I can probably do some sort of managerial job. We can figure that out down the road.

 

Maybe I should work on my doctorate again. The teenagers are being less awful and Spock is better at doing captain paperwork than I was so maybe I’ll have time to work on my dissertation. It’s totally an option.

 

Yes, I’m dealing with my birthday blues, but in June apparently. Maybe I should refer to it as my daddy died blues since obviously it’s related to that. I’m sure it will get better tomorrow. Or worse. There’s always alcohol, but I am trying to set an example so mom doesn’t fall off the wagon. You know we are in the danger zone since the anniversary of my death is in five days. That’s going to be really hard to deal with.

 

I got to go. I will email again later. Apparently, Spock is having trouble putting up the pinata. It’s in the shape of Enterprise. The kids are going to love it.

 

PS: Pictures Attached. I will send birthday related ones later.  

 

 

To be continued.

Chapter 53: Day 104: Requiem for a Fallen Father Figure

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all great and keep me happy in writing.

Today is a distressing day for Jim in a string of bad days.

Chapter Text

 

 

Hey Chris:

It has been exactly 365 days since the grand fuck up conspiracy of the Federation that resulted in us losing you. I understand it really was a conspiracy to install certain people into the higher echelons of Starfleet. I'm still pissed off that I didn't see it. That I didn't see that a wolf was installed on my ship. I'm still angry about that.

Of course, nobody was planning on shore leave hookups and idiotic boyfriends accidentally picking up fertility lube resulting in babies Sulu keeping grandma from being there, but the universe works in mysterious ways sometimes. At least Chen is competent and not evil. Kevin says she makes the best cookies. I don't know when the Admiral has time to make cookies, but apparently, they're excellent. I was supposed to receive a container of them, but they ate them on the way here because Kevin has not worked through all his food issues.

Before I get into the self-flagellation portion of this letter, I should probably give you an update on how life is going. Things are good aboard the USS Enterprise. The worst thing that has happened in the last six months has been me having to watch Spock be sexually harassed by diplomats that we couldn't punch out. Although, I did write a scathing report about how we should value the cultures of others, but harassment should not count as a cultural value. I wonder how that is going to go over with the brass. I think Chen has got out most of the assholes, but you never know.

Although no death or almost death by allergic reaction, I did get stranded on a planet for five days, but that wasn't too horrible. We had food, a deck of cards, and I could at least talk to Spock through the bond. Good news, we can communicate with each other when we are physically miles and miles apart. This could come in handy during emergencies and I feel like we're going to have more. Yes, I had to listen to the sex sounds of my navigator and his special friend for a good portion of it, but it could've been worse.

Otherwise, things are good. I have the best husband in the world. I'm sad we didn't get stranded on a planet together for five days, but it's okay. Spock fed me breakfast in bed this morning. French toast and bacon and you know how he feels about me eating bacon. Yet he brought it to me. He's just the best. He even looks hot as hell in command gold. He is still the hottest walking sex and I am so glad I put a ring on it. 11 months and he is still here. Sometimes, I'm afraid this is all a dream.

I wonder how you would feel about my decision to take a step back and spend some time as Spock's first officer. Would you be disappointed in me? I hear lots of gossip and Spock hears more because Vulcan hearing is evil like that. A lot of people are talking shit about what happened. Apparently, I'm a reckless alcoholic just like mom and that's why I lost my job and the only reason why I'm still in Starfleet at all is because they feel sorry for my husband. So not much has changed since the rumors about me fucking my way into and through the Academy.

You know I don't give a fuck about them. Okay, I do, or at least Margarita says that I do, but not many fucks. I always cared about what you thought of me though. You were one of the few. Sometimes I wake up at night wondering if you would be disappointed in me for now being subordinate to my husband. I mean, you never took a step back so Nhi could have the reins, but I did. I never saw that as a step back because Spock and I are a team. We make decisions together. We plan together. That's what we're good at. It's just now, Spock has veto power. I felt it was necessary to give him that power after some of the spectacularly bad choices I made one year ago tomorrow.

According to Margarita, never make life altering choices when you're grieving. Apparently, that includes going after the guy who killed your father figure. It's very easy to fall into the villain trap when you're emotionally distraught. Margarita is wise.

She is one of the many great crew members that Spock and I managed together. We really do share one of the best crews in the galaxy. All smart and capable. Well most of them. We still have a gossip problem, but hey at least nobody has misused their medical privileges and drugged somebody with fertility medication because she is a jealous hateful person. Okay, we had a lot of wolfs in the henhouse last time around. This is how I learned the importance of vetting my own crew completely.

Our main team are the greatest. Bones has really whipped the med team into shape as well as weeded out some of the evil people. I think it helps that his daughter now lives with him and Nyota. She is balancing newfound parenthood and being chief communications officer. I like having Jo Jo on ship. I don't like some of the others on ship, mostly Jeremy, but they're growing on me. Except Jeremy he's awful.

Sulu is also stepping up. So, Starfleet doesn't completely trust us because they think we're more loyal to each other than Starfleet and that is true. So, some first officer functions have been transferred to him and he's doing them admirably. To make up for that fact, I may have planned his daughter's first birthday party yesterday. Partially, because I wanted to stay busy and distracted from today. The other part is to make up for having to be a real first officer. We can't be easy. OK, it's probably a small miracle that he hasn't put in transfer papers yet.

The party went great, except Liz accidentally got the adult piñata because some asshole mixed up the labels. Although, Jo Jo knows that there were condoms and penis suckers inside, the two babies don't. Thank the universe.

I guess I need to stop rambling and get to the hard part. I miss you. Yes, as I said things are good, but I feel like it would've been better if you were here. There are so many times I would have liked to ask you for advice about how to deal with being married to someone you work with or dealing with an emotionally suppressed spouse. I feel like you probably would've had good advice. But I can't and that breaks my heart. I've got through it with Spock, Suarez, your wife, and Dr. Margarita, but I still wish I had you.

I think there still a certain amount of survivor's guilt, anger, and frustration all tied into each other regarding your death that I am still trying to process. I wasn't a participant in the conspiracy, but I didn't see what was going on in my own ship. Maybe I was too unexperienced.

My guilt isn't just about you. Dr. Weston ended up with another child because of the Vengeance crashing into San Francisco, only a year after losing most of her extended family. Nyota most likely miscarried because I sent her into a fight with the Klingons because I couldn't process your death like a fucking adult and I went on a roaring rampage of rage.

Maybe she would've lost the baby anyway but I'm sure what happened didn't help things. She's been dealing with a lot over the last year. Even her parents got divorced, although they were never on the best terms. Things have improved with her and her mother slightly. Yes, Nyota now has Jo Jo but I think she still misses the baby and there is that pesky guilt again. I'm sure practically living at the hospital when Spock and I were in a coma did not help things. So yes, I'm going to blame myself. Margarita says this is what I do.

Rationally, I know you died because of the conspiracy. But inside I feel like it's my fault. I know Spock felt somewhat similar with Amanda. In his mind he believes that if he just got off the planet a little faster or if the transporter room equipment was just a little better than maybe Amanda would still be with us.

So, I played that game a lot today. If I wasn't so emotionally attached to Dr. Suarez, then evil Dr. Cruise would not have been assigned to our ship, then Spock and I totally would've lied about violating the prime directive and we would have gotten away with it without being planet side. Of course, the prevailing theory now is that a certain volcano went off because it was triggered with an outside chemical so that means that somebody was already violating the Prime Directive, but our violation was not evil. It was fixing a previous violation, maybe.

If I chose Dr. Margarita Cruz instead of the other Cruz, we probably wouldn't have been set up to fall. Maybe if I realized what was going on sooner, we could've stopped it from snowballing. Maybe if I pushed you down faster or did anything different that night, then you would still be alive.

But you can't change the past. At best you can create a whole brand-new timeline with the help of you know what. But somewhere in the multi-verse, the consequences of your choices will keep going forward. Also, the new timeline may end up worse. Although hey, I'm married to Spock early this time around.

I wish you were not dead. I wish this was a universe where you survived to see me walk down the aisle and you and the wife eventually gave me a bunch of siblings. I know she was on fertility treatments when you left us behind.

Some days, I'm sad and some days I'm angry. OK most of the time I'm angry. I am also regretful and furious. But that's okay because grief is not linear.

I can't keep focusing on those negative thoughts because that wouldn't honor your memory. I'm trying. I'm really trying to do that with everything I do. I don't know how, but I'm working on it.

OK, I must go because apparently one of the Ashleys just found out that her crush is sleeping with her guardian and getting violent. My job is just weird right now. I'll try to write you again. Maybe around your birthday.

To be continued

Chapter 54: Day 105: Figuring out where this will go

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last letter. Jim definitely got a lot out. Now, it’s time for a bit of a reprieve, sort of, after the last very heavy chapter.

I’m sorry I didn’t update last week. I had family visiting and I thought I would have time later in the week to post the chapter but it didn’t work out. I should’ve mentioned it ahead of time, but I really thought I would get it up on Wednesday, at least, but it just didn’t happen.

 

Please note that the “me” in the first text message conversation is Sue. The “me” in the second section is Jim.

Chapter Text

Baby’s daddy: So I think we may have just gotten engaged to be engaged. I’m not sure.

 

Me: If you are text messaging me at 2:13 AM instead of having engagement sex, I think the answer is no.

 

Baby’s daddy: Unless the conversation took place after sex. We still have refractory periods.

 

Me: Sweetie, I love you almost like a brother except not quite because we had sex, but it’s very late and I am going to have to board a starship in less than six hours and be perky, despite the fact my captain made me deal with his meetings with Perez just so he could get laid. I’m also going to smile at people that think I got my job because of my mom. Can we deal with your existential crisis in the morning?

 

Baby’s daddy: I also have to deal with people who think I got my job because of your mom and the fact that I’m fucking her daughter.

 

Me: Some people have no common sense. No one’s going to reward you for getting her daughter pregnant by accident.

 

Me: I want sleep, so please tell me why are you texting me in the middle of the night. Did he bring out a ring?

 

Baby’s daddy: We were talking about the custody situation and the fact that Zach’s parents hate me without even knowing about Vulcan.

 

Me: How did that become your post sex pillow talk?

 

Baby’s daddy: I have no idea. Did you know how much they hated me? They offered to drop the case if he would just break up with me. Asshole.

 

Me: Yes, because I was there. Ben didn’t want to tell you about how bad things were in an email.

 

Baby’s daddy: Don’t have much option with us. 

 

Me: And if we weren’t coming to see you in a couple of weeks, he would have emailed you, but it worked out.

 

Baby’s daddy: True, but I wish I would’ve known sooner. I hate what they’re doing.

 

Me: So how did the subject of marriage come up?

 

Baby’s daddy: I got angry and then Ben said that he understands why they are worried about me, but not why they hate me when they don’t know me because I could end up being the stepfather to their granddaughter, someday. I personally think that’s why they hate me.

 

Me: He does have a point. And so do you.

 

Baby’s daddy: Then I told Ben that if I am going to be her stepdad, or even adopted father someday than they are just going to have to get over it. I’m not going anywhere.  Just tell them to go get fucked. They don’t have any say whatsoever in who you decide to be with now.

 

Me: That’s sweet and you should know that Ben did defend you to Zach’s parents. He said you were the sweetest guy in the universe and an excellent father. I said something similar. I also told them it was none of their fucking business and just because Ben used to be married to their son doesn’t mean they get to dictate who Ben moves on to.

 

Baby’s daddy: Of course you did.

 

Me: Because you are the best. So what happened next?

 

Baby’s daddy: I asked Ben if he was open to getting remarried and he said yes.

 

Me: He said something similar at a practice interrogation. Except he said that he would be willing to marry you someday.

 

Baby’s daddy: Good to know. And this is why I’m texting you at way too early in the morning.

 

Me: Because the idea of getting married terrifies you?

 

Baby’s daddy: Yes and no. It’s not the idea that I’m afraid of, but the fact that I’m sure I would be bad at it. I’m not going to be home for at least the next 4 ½ years. I’m not going to be there for the day-to-day stuff. The only thing that’s keeping me connected at all are letters and video files. Is that enough?

 

Me: Yes, and I think Ben would agree with me. But the real question you need to ask yourself is, do you love Ben?

 

Baby’s daddy: Yes

 

Me: Do you love his daughter?

 

Baby’s daddy: Yes

 

Me: Does he love your daughter?

 

Baby’s daddy: I am going with yes, but I feel like you know the answer to that question better than I do.

 

Me: Yes, I believe so. He treats her like his own kid. I definitely feel more comfortable with leaving because I know he’s going to be there too, to provide some additional support. So I think this means that Baby D is going to be calling him daddy 2.

 

Baby’s daddy: What about Kevin?

 

Me: He is uncle Kev  

 

Baby’s daddy: That is kind of adorable. Video?

 

Me: It will be in your inbox. However, I’m sure over the next few days you will see it for yourself.

 

Baby’s daddy: Probably.       

 

Me: I think it’s obvious to me that you two are serious about one another. All the hugging and kissing has been an obvious indication of that.

 

Baby’s daddy: I’m pretty sure we scandalized the diplomat from a homophobic planet.

 

Me: Which is good. Don’t overthink it right now. Just go with the flow and if you guys do make it down the aisle, good. I would totally marry him if he was at least a Kinsey five. But he just has to be a six.

 

Baby’s daddy: That’s another thing that came up.

 

Me: Between rounds, I’m sure.

 

Baby’s daddy: Hey, don’t be mad I actually got laid.

 

Me: I am not mad, mostly because I have a Pleasure Seeker 9000 now. I’m done with people for the moment.

 

Baby’s daddy: I don’t blame you after the last boyfriend.

 

Me: You can’t see me, but I am yawning. We’ll talk more in the morning. I assume you will be there to see me off.

 

Baby’s daddy: Of course, I will.

Xxxxxx

 

Jim was having a good morning. That usually happens when he has a day off. Because unlike Spock, he actually can do a day off. Also unlike the anniversary of Amanda’s death, they could both be off together. It’s easier to deal with anything with a warm Spock wrapped around him. That was kind of how he woke up this morning and then promptly went back to sleep after seeing his Vulcan off to do Captain things.

He was to have a real break per therapist’s orders. In his dreamlike state kind of hoping that Spock got out of his morning meeting earlier to give him another wake-up call. Unfortunately, it was his communicator chirping that woke him up. He was hoping it was a message from Spock, but instead it was Liz.

 

Liz: OK I’m sure there’s like a 50-50 chance you’re either sleeping or having sex with your husband, but I thought I would check to see if you guys wanted to explore the station with us after we say goodbye to my sister this morning.

 

Liz: I want to distract the babies from the first day without Sue. The first day is always the worst. Besides I figured you can use some time out after yesterday.

 

Me: I’m up now.

 

Me: The day after your niece’s birthday is on my list of least favorite days right after my own birthday. I really don’t like birthdays being associated with death days. 

 

Liz: I’ll try not to have any of your future nieces or nephews on any day when anybody important died.

 

Me: Thank you ever so much. I think I’m free. Unless Spock needs me to go with him on any of his afternoon meetings.

 

Liz: I hope he doesn’t need you. Because despite being scanned by both Ben and Dr. McCoy, your mom still thinks I’m pregnant right now and not recovering from some nasty stomach virus

 

Me: Oh God.

 

Liz: This is why I need your help. I’m still recovering and I don’t have the energy to distract her, especially now that I’m going to have to be mommy full-time.

 

Me: But she likes you. You are like another one of her kids.  

 

Liz: Oh, she absolutely loves me, but she’s pissed off at your brother for being an idiot and worrying about me being able to finish Starfleet on time. She’s also being super maternal. Again, I’m not healthy enough to deal with her right now.

 

Me: I will text my hubby to see if he doesn’t need me this afternoon. Margarita wants me to spend as much time on actual leave as possible for the next few days for my mental health. She doesn’t want to actually put me on medical leave, but she will.

 

Liz: Thank you for trying. I really need you.

 

Me: Wait, what about her best friend Ben?

 

Liz: Probably going back to his sex marathon with the boyfriend, as soon as we’re done with breakfast. They just licked syrup off of each other’s fingers. Although they do have the kids in the evening and all day tomorrow.

 

Liz: Winona is currently being distracted by feeding her adopted grandkids, but I’m not sure how long it will last.

 

Me: Okay, I will just tell Spock that I’m coming with you guys. I will use the Margarita excuse.

 

Liz: Thank you.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 55: Day 106: Crushed

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. It’s been a while, but it is time for more diary entries from our favorite preteen.

There the ‘me’ in the text message section is Spock.

Chapter Text

 

Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy: Yorktown edition

 

June 7, 2269

 

Dear Diary:

 

Yorktown is beautiful. The bathroom in our temporary housing was only half together, but it’s still beautiful. Apparently they forgot to install the sink, but they fixed it. Also we ended up having to put my bed together, but it’s together now. At least the people who have the room after us won’t have that problem. I guess this is what happens when you’re going to a station that’s still under construction.

 

Also, after being on a starship since February, it was nice to just run around on grass and see trees. Granted the grass and trees have just been planted. Yorktown is like one giant greenhouse, but it’s nice. I got to spend yesterday and today at the park with the babies. They’ve gotten so big. Demora is walking and saying words. I am Jo Jo and I’m OK with that. OK, I had to keep both kids from going into the water more than once because of holographic docks.

 

Demora is sad because she knows that her mom is gone, but it’s only for a little while. I don’t think she gets the difference yet. At least, she will get to talk to her mom every once in a while. She has her Aunt Liz and Uncle Kevin in the meantime. At least Liz seems a little bit more together than my aunt.

 

I probably need to write her. She did send more art supplies. I used them to make Demora a family portrait for her birthday present. Maybe I can send a painting instead. That feels less confrontational. I also feel like I can express myself better in art than in words. Even writing these diary entries sometimes can be difficult.

 

Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock are also sad right now. They’re trying not to act like they’re sad, but I can just tell. I know something happened last year about this time because Uncle Jim was in a coma for a week and dad looked on the verge of tears that one time mom let me talk to him. But I don’t know exactly what happened. The adults rarely tell me anything and the biological mom had lots of nanny filters up on my PADD at the time. I couldn’t look up anything she didn’t want me to. I always had to be perfect.

 

In a couple weeks, it will be a year since I’ve buried my mom after she wrapped her car around a tree so I don’t know why they feel this need to keep the truth from me. I’ve already been through too much.

 

It’s like they don’t think I know that mom Nyota doesn’t want to spend time around baby D. I know it’s been a year since her miscarriage, but nobody wants to talk about these things with me. I don’t know what to do about that. I should probably talk to Dr. Margarita. I have a session with her once we leave Yorktown. Unlike Uncle Jim, apparently, I’m healthy enough to go a week without therapy on vacation. I feel like that’s progress.

 

In other news, I met my new teacher Gina. She’s actually OK with us calling her Gina. That’s different, but she is planning to be with us for the next 4+ years. Hopefully, if Jeremy doesn’t scare her off. Although she does have a black belt in Brazilian jujitsu so I think Jeremy has met his match. I think Spock would look the other way if she used it on him. She said she’s willing to do classes on ship like Mr. Sulu. This could be fun. Ashley 2 and 3 are looking forward to it.

 

Things are less contentious with all the Ashleys now. We’re not best friends, but occasionally we do talk to one another usually after fencing practice. Although, Ashley 3 has been hanging out with me on Yorktown. I think it’s because she’s not on speaking terms with her aunt. I totally understand that.

 

Apparently she doesn’t like her new boyfriend that she found out about while walking in on them having sex. She refuses to tell me who. I’m just glad my parents are more discrete than that. Otherwise, I would have a whole other reason to see Dr Margarita.

 

Oh well I have to go. Apparently, we are supposed to have a tour of the science facility and then lunch. They’re supposed to be doing research on a nearby nebula. That seems like it would be cool.

Xxxxx

James: Please rescue me from my mom. I sincerely regret not being able to consume alcohol right now.

 

Me: I would if I was not in a meeting with various diplomatic representatives from various Federation members and allied nations. You were the one who decided to spend lunch with your mother instead of accompanying me.

 

James: And now that mom is talking about me dying last year, I completely regret that decision. Her talking about me dying is now triggering Kevin who is just starting to get over it. Liz looks like she wants to hurt all of us.

 

James: Poor Jo Jo is just trying to bury her head in one of the digital comic books that her aunt sent. Poor child. I’m just glad the Sulu kids are elsewhere with their dads. They are too young for this.

 

Me: I feel like it’s impossible to get over that day. I will never forget watching your last few moments.

 

James: Did you know that Kevin watched the surveillance footage of that? Who the hell let him watch that?

 

Me: Considering you were the one who passed your computer skills onto Kevin, I find it highly probable that you are responsible indirectly for him finding the security footage. I know Starfleet asked him to assist with an investigation because he was one of the few that can circumvent your encryption.

 

James: Because I gave him the key. Yes, I regret teaching him how to break into systems and that is why I’m not starting the Starfleet Junior Hacker Society like you requested.

 

James: Shit! Pavel just walked in with the girlfriend and they’re holding hands. Ashley three looks ready to stab them with a fork and Jo Jo just choked on her roll.

 

Me: So they are now open about their relationship?

 

James: Well after Ashley caught the two fucking, there was no point in hiding things. Although I am furious at whoever put them in the room next to ours.

 

Me: Because we are a married couple, we were placed in family quarters as opposed to the normal housing reserved for captains.

 

James: That explains the queen size bed. Not that I wouldn’t enjoy snuggling with you in a full bed, but you kick.

 

Me: I do not kick.

 

James: Yes, you do sweetie. OK speaking of kicking, Jo Jo looks like someone just kicked her puppy.  Maybe I should say kicked her puppy love. It’s never fun when your crush is with somebody else. That explains the almost choking earlier.

 

Me: Even if the probability of you getting together with that individual is 123.2 million to 1.

 

James: It’s a safety crush. You develop an affinity for a person you can’t have because you’re terrified of emotional intimacy. Of course with my last safety crush, it turns out the guy was totally available, except emotionally because of his mom’s death. Instead of telling me that, he pretended to be in a relationship with his best friend that he kind of slept with a couple of times.

 

Me: I have apologized for that transgression on multiple occasions.

 

James: You can apologize with a blowjob later. I’m going to take the kids for ice cream. Ice cream and hot fudge are necessary at a time like this.

 

Me: Of course. Although, I feel like you’re doing this as an excuse to avoid your mom.

 

James: You know me so well, sweetie. Love you.

 

 

Xxxx

Dear Diary:

 

Now I know Ashley was right not to tell me. I wish I didn’t know, but now I do. I can’t believe Pavel is dating Ashley‘s aunt and Ashley walked in on them having sex. I want to throw up. This is creepy.

 

This also totally explains why Ashley is mad because I would so be upset too if my mom, the other one, started dating someone only a few years older than me, if she was still alive. Then again I feel like grandpa is going to get to this point. I think the new step grandma is currently only 10 years older than me. I’m sure it will be over before I go back to Earth. That is my happy thought. Along with the ice cream, that stuff was good. It almost makes up for the fact my crush is sleeping with Ashley’s guardian.

To be continued.

Chapter 56: Day 108: Think of It as a Beginning

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You were all wonderful.

Today is another sad day for Spock. It’s the one-year anniversary of Jim’s temporary death.

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike

 

To: Jim’s_cuddlebear

 

Time arrived: 06/09/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: I just thought I would check in

 

I know I’ve been writing your husband a lot, but I feel like I need to write you as well especially because of what’s coming up. I hope this email gets to you before the anniversary, but you never know with the Starfleet email servers. Although, even if you get this afterwards, I’m sure it will still help.

 

Losing the love of your life is one of the hardest things in the world, and last year you had to watch. I’m sorry about that.  The only good thing was he came back to you. I wasn’t as lucky. But I’m not bitter about that.

 

I don’t begrudge you that either because I love Jim too. Even though he is less than 15 years younger than me, I do see him as the child that I always wanted to have, but never have enough time to. (I could still eventually. Chris was practical that way.) But Jim will always be my first born. So, I don’t think I could’ve dealt with losing both in a week. It would’ve destroyed me.

 

Oddly enough, Jim being in the hospital for that week actually gave me something I could focus my energy on outside of my grief. Especially, when I found out that my husband’s death was part of some great conspiracy to start war with the Klingons and install an asshole. Now that I am bitter about and I don’t think that’s ever going to go away.

 

Although the security footage of you beating the shit out of the person who killed both our husbands does ease it sometimes. At least his blood brought your’s back.

 

Again I’m grateful, but the damage has been done. The pain is still there and it doesn’t always go away. And mixed in with all of that is the fear that maybe next time you won’t be anywhere near as lucky. I know that feeling way too well. Do you have any idea how many times I almost lost Chris before I actually did? I’m not even sure. I stopped counting after 10.

 

You and I are the logical ones to their brash recklessness. We are the balance. We keep things logical and reasonable. It’s who we are. We’re kindred spirits, you and I. Nobody understands that just because we’re logical doesn’t mean we’re not afraid. It doesn’t mean that we’re still not trying to process. But we are.

However, we don’t need to do this alone. If you need someone to talk to you, you know that I will be here. You’re not alone. In any of it.

 

Xxx

Dear Spock Bear:

OK, by the fact that you held on to me for dear life and made it almost impossible for me to get up to the bathroom tells me that this is going to be a distressing day for both of us. Remember, I am still here and I’m glad I’m still here. And I’m sorry again that I brought up the fact that the file exists of that moment.

 

There are days when I feel guilty about the fact that I’m still here while others like Sam and Chris are gone. I wonder why I’m still here, but they are not. What makes me so special? It’s a process that repeats itself a lot. Margarita said that I shouldn’t let the guilt overwhelm me. I should revel in the happiness that I’m still around to have a life with you. That I should treasure this time.

 

And yes, I’m going to treasure every kiss and every minute I have with you. I’m happy that we got to have our life together. I’m looking forward to the wedding anniversary. I’m even treasuring the fact that I’ve lived long enough to have ridiculously uncomfortable dinners with my brother and his girlfriend as well as their temporary child and my mom. I’m very glad I lived long enough to see Liz and Kevin get their shit together. Part of me didn’t even think that was ever going to happen. They were like worse than us.

 

I’m even happy that I got to see mom totally freak out on Kevin because she was convinced he got Liz pregnant. Good news, she doesn’t believe that anymore. It only took Ben scanning her two more times. OK and the fact that Liz is over the virus and no longer throwing up is helping. Although, I think half the crew has got it because maybe Bones is right about Starfleet being a disease encrusted petri dish. I’m even happy that I’ve gotten to see the formation of Bones’ new little family. If I had died last year, I wouldn’t have any of that and that would’ve been horrible.

 

I know sometimes I feel like this is all a dream. That I never did make it out of the warp core. I know that is your biggest fear. It’s mine too. I know we both keep making Sulu do everything related to that part of engineering because we have issues. There’s a reason why I will probably be going to spend most of the day with Margarita in a mandated therapy session. Why do I have a feeling you have one too? It’s probably for the best. OK now I’m going to surprise you in the shower because you deserve shower fun time and at least this bathroom, we don’t have to share with Sulu.

 

Love always, your cuddle bunny.

Xxx

I hope to enjoy the fact that we are not sharing a bathroom with someone else and engage in various sexual activities together. I am starting to enjoy the concept of a water bath when you are involved. I am grateful that we have the time to explore such activities together.

 

I am trying to focus on the fact that you are still with me. I am grateful and hopeful that we will have a lifetime together. You are precious to me.

 

Despite it being illogical, I still have nightmares about the last year just being a dream. Which is why I need to leave in 6.8 minutes for my own session with Dr. Margarita. In your own session with her, I suggest that you discuss with her your irrational feelings and guilt related to your own survival. I have no regrets regarding your survival. I will always be grateful that you’re here.

 

Xxxxx

From: Jim’s_cuddlebear

 

To: Number_one_Pike

 

Time sent: 06/09/2260 22:43:32

 

Subject: Re: I just thought I would check in

 

I do realize how fortunate I am that James is still with us. The loss of my mother is something that I am still dealing with more than two years later. Losing James on top of that would have been cataclysmic. He was the one who helped me through it and without him, I don’t know if I would have survived. At least not without resorting to purging myself of all emotion. I doubt either Dr. Suarez or Dr. Margarita Cruz would see that as a practical coping mechanism.

 

Thank you for reaching out, even though you are still dealing with the anniversary of your husband’s loss. Even though we are logical, we still have trouble processing our emotions. It is all a work in progress. I’m grateful to have someone else to reach out to if needed. I am not necessarily coping adequately, but I’m functional. I’m hoping that now that the actual anniversary has passed, I don’t dream of James dying.

 

Since you took this moment to write to me on the anniversary of James death and resurrection, I feel as if I should pass some words of comfort to you. I melded with Chris as he passed. His last moments were spent thinking of you. If he was the love of your life, you were the love of his. He regretted dying because he would not get to create a family with you, but he wanted to find love and happiness again. He also had visions of you carrying a small child. That was his final thought. I know it is of small comfort to know this, but he really loved you.

 

I saw his regrets. I feel like the best way to honor the fact that James came back to me is to make sure I have none of my own. I am uncertain how to go about that, but I will try.

 

If you need someone to talk to, I am available as well.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 57: Day 110: Goodbye is only temporary

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

The first entry on this day is a handwritten note that Sulu puts in his boyfriend’s luggage. Margarita may or may not have tossed a therapy journal at him at some point.
The second entry is a letter to Baby Sulu, also handwritten. This one may have been attached to her new Teddy bear. That kid went back to San Francisco with a suitcase full of new toys. Even Baby K went back with a few things.

The final entry is another handwritten letter from Josephine to her aunt.

Chapter Text

 

So, if my plan works, you will find this letter when hopefully you start packing for the trip back tonight. It’s taped right inside your suitcase. If that doesn’t work then you’ll find the things when you unpack and are back on Earth. I hope it’s the former, and not the latter.

 

It has been wonderful spending this week with you and the kids. And not just because of the vast amounts of sex once we got the kids down for the night, although it was quite enjoyable. I like being with you and being able to talk to you every night. The letters have been great. Sometimes they are the only thing that got me through some days.

 

But space is lonely and sometimes you just want to talk to an actual person at the end of the day. Yes, I have friends, some of which are more mature than others, but it’s not the same as you. You get me in a way a lot of other people don’t. Watching Jim and Spock is stressful especially because they can plan things out in their heads without talking and sometimes, I want to throttle them both. But at the same time you get what I’m thinking without saying a word as well. So maybe I shouldn’t be that upset about it.

 

Waking up to your smile has been wonderful as well as waking up to other things. Definitely my favorite type of good morning. I don’t think we did this as much as when we were living on the same planet. Maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder or maybe we are trying to make up for being away from each other for 3 ½ months.

 

At the next meet up, we will probably be worse. I have no idea when that will be. But hey, my daughter’s grandma oversees Starfleet so she’s probably going to plan for her to see her parents occasionally. Don’t tell anybody, but Admiral Chan is a softy. She’s like a totally different person with Desi.

 

Great, I’m not even quite back on ship yet and I’m already thinking about next time. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. I love what we’re trying to accomplish. I love the fact that we keep the universe safe and have done that literally a few times. At the same time, I feel like I’m missing so much. I show up here and Desi is walking and talking. Granted it’s just a few words, but more than when I left.  By the time I see her again she probably will be talking in sentences and universe willing, be potty trained.  

      

Yes I love all the pictures video files that you guys sent me. There may be a picture of Desi taped to my console. Also, I’ve been known to show off pictures during most lunch breaks. They help me get through days when Jim and Spock are being morons. But it’s just not quite the same as actually being there every day. I know I’m missing all the trivial things. I have 4 ½ years to go. Note to self, never take a five-year mission again, but we’re going to get through it through letters and videos and everything else.

 

I do love you. I love every moment we have together. I love just talking to you and being able to see your smile and your happiness. You deserve all the happiness in the world. I hope things get better with your husband’s parents. That’s how I’m going to refer to them. Just because Zack is gone doesn’t mean that he’s not your husband. He’s always going to be there and I’m OK with that. I had an interesting conversation with Jim’s mom about how you don’t stop loving that person, your heart just gets bigger. Although she did say I am 1000 times better than her ex-husband. Considering they don’t even say his name and from what Ashley 2 told me about her Google searches, I’m going to say that’s not hard. I aim to be 1 million times better.

 

Anyway, this is becoming very rambling and I am starting to get writer’s cramp. This is like the most writing I’ve done since first grade writing class. I really hate saying goodbye to you and the kids, but it’s not goodbye just goodbye for now.

 

So, to close this rambling thing I’ll just say things will get better regarding the custody situation. However even if they don’t, I will always be there for you even if I am light-years away. Love you and give all the kids a kiss good night for me. I’ll see you again soon.

Xx

Hi baby:

It has been absolutely wonderful getting to spend your first birthday with you. I’m still sad that I wasn’t there for when you were born, but I understand that your mom was scared because the person who almost could’ve been your daddy was not a very good person. Everybody says that you won in the daddy lottery and I am inclined to agree with them even though I wish I could be home with you more. Daddy is never doing a five-year mission again. Grandma can find somebody else to keep Jim and Spock from doing dumb stuff.

 

At least not if you can’t come with me. That unfortunately is dependent on the Ashleys keeping up their personal growth and somebody figuring out how to get Jeremy out of the program. Never be a Jeremy. Jeremy is a bad person that doesn’t know how to deal with his own pain and anger. He keeps skipping his sessions with Dr. Margarita. That woman has the patience of a saint.

 

So it was great getting to spend time with you and baby K. I think we all agree that baby K is your big sister. It may be a little early to ask that, but are you ok with that maybe being permanent. We are considering it, but you and K are important in making that type of decision. Plus, I’ve only been dating Ben for a little more than 10 months and 3 ½ of those have involved dating by correspondence. Although some of the older ones on ship have told me that’s when they really fell in love with their spouse.    

  

So my parting words of wisdom are be good for your aunt and uncle. I think nana Winona would be really upset if you totally turned them off of kids. She really wants grandbabies in 5 to 10 years and Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock are probably going to procrastinate. Send me lots of videos of you being cute. Also remember that even though mommy and daddy are really far away we love you to pieces. There is not a moment in the day where we don’t think about you. Love you baby and I can’t wait until I get to see you again.    

xxxx

Dear Auntie:

 

Thank you for the art supplies and all of the snacks. The chocolate covered Oreos are my favorite. It has made me somewhat popular with the Ashleys. Although I think it might be because Ashley 3 really needed a good chocolate covered Oreo. Her aunt/guardian is dating somebody who is just four years older than her and well, none of us are taking it well. I give it a week because Ashley is actively trying to break it up and I support her. Pavel is closer to us in age.

 

I know grandpa does it all the time, but it’s a little creepy how big the age gap is now. So how close in age is the new step grandma to me? How many years do you think it will be before she’s younger than me? I’m sure it will happen eventually, if he lives that long.

 

I asked Liz and Kevin to send you this package filled with a few paintings and other artwork that I’ve done. I thought you would like some of the family. I also did a couple drawings of Yorktown. It’s really pretty even if Dad refers to it as a snow globe stuck in space. Predictably, he hates it here. I like it even though the place is still half under construction.

 

I’m trying not to be angry at you. Margarita says it’s a work in progress. I’m still upset, but I have been talking to Uncle Jim a lot about how he eventually forgave his mom for missing the signs with his stepdad. He was also an abusive alcoholic, but worse. Like killed in prison because even prisoners hate pedophiles worse. Uncle Jim didn’t tell me that part, but Ashley 2 found out while doing a net search and told me. She says it’s one of the reasons why she trusts uncle Jim after what happened with her mom’s boyfriend. So I am well aware that it could’ve been a lot worse with mom. At least no one she dated did anything bad to me.

 

Jim said that sometimes the signs we think are obvious are not to those on the outside. It’s not that they weren’t looking, but they’re only obvious to them in hindsight. Sometimes, even if they do see the truth, adults can’t fix everything even if they want to. Margarita says wanting to is half the battle. So I’m trying to keep that in mind.

 

I also heard that you have a new doctor that you’re working with. I think that’s good. Working with Margarita has really helped. I’m still sad about what happened, but I’m working through it. It’s going to be one year next month.

 

Also I think it helps that I am not in Georgia any more. I really like it here. I thought I would miss my friends in Georgia, but the fact that none of them have written to me makes me not miss them that much. I have new friends, so it’s starting to get better. I’ll try to write again when I have a chance.

 

PS: Definitely leave Atlanta.    

To be continued

Chapter 58: Day 114: Why did I want to go back to work?

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous. They’re going to be longer gaps between chapters to make up for the back to back chapters while everybody was in Yorktown. See nothing bad happened while they were there this time, except to Ashley 3. Nobody wants to find their crush sleeping with their mother figure.

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 6/15/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Back on the Hamilton and hating it

 

I am safely back on ship and slowly going out of my mind. I’m so ridiculously busy, my inbox is overflowing. I feel like my replacement did nothing while I was not here. Also I am dealing with processing 15 different cases of sexual harassment that were conveniently ignored while I was gone. I’m personally surprised none actually involved my temporary replacement. I’m already done with this assignment and its only been a couple of days. He keeps asking me to go out for coffee, after he insulted me and said that I took his job. Yes, I only had the job for a couple of months before maternity leave, but I was the first officer on ship first. I totally should’ve went to a different ship.

 

So how were your last few days on Yorktown? Did you manage to actually get engaged? Did the kids do cute things while I wasn’t there? I need happy moments to get me through the next nine months.

 

I thought academy life is tough. I think I prefer freshman right now, including the sister of my ex-boyfriend. I didn’t think such a thing as possible. But then again, the people talking smack about me weren’t those that I thought were friends when I was back at the Academy. Nobody really likes the head guy’s daughter. So I knew what I was getting into. Carol can attest to that as well.

 

It doesn’t matter. I am not here to make friends. Our first mission is a weapons nonproliferation Treaty with some planet near the Klingon neutral zone. I think I’m on the negotiating team because I actually do my job. I can just feel the headache coming on. Please tell me life on Enterprise is better?

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time arrived: 6/15/2260 06:06:01

Subject: Back on the Enterprise and dealing with it

 

I am sorry you have to deal with that. Yes, Jim and Spock tend to get in trouble and do things like break the Prime Directive, but they really do know how to do their jobs. Together anyway. Apart I’m not so sure.

Look on the bright side, only a nine month tour. Just remember that when you actually consider calling your mom and asking for a different assignment. Also remember you don’t have to deal with watching your captain and his husband make out everywhere. They’re trying to be discrete by doing it Vulcan style, but still not that discrete. At least, Spock has totally put his foot down on shower sex and inviting other people to participate.

 

Okay, it must be awful for you to say that, considering you were dealing with freshmen and child induced sleep deprivation. I have a feeling that things will get better once you’re there for a couple of weeks. Everybody was talking about me the first few weeks on Enterprise, but it died down eventually or at the very least, they learned not to say stuff when I’m in listening distance. Also, I’m sure things will be better once you work through the backlog. Fingers crossed that you won’t be the one having to fill out a sexual harassment complaint regarding your former replacement because he keeps his hands to himself. Really, I’m just glad that all the inappropriate Starfleet behavior regarding Jim and Spock have been with each other. Even when they kind of hated each other. I’m sure the rumor mill told you about the bridge incident. Also, the Jim tomcat Kirk was the most convincing façade ever.

 

No rings yet, but I think it’s something we’re seriously thinking about. With two kids you can’t rush into these sorts of things. My sister told me horror stories about how my nieces reacted when she first started dating their dad and they were little bitty things just like Desi and K. She got bit twice and peed on. Maybe that’s why she was hesitant to take custody of another kid in addition to the in vitro. We love those babies to pieces, but it was an adjustment and I want to make sure that we do this right. If we are on a diplomatic mission on a planet where they won’t kill us on site and I end up going by a jeweler, I may look. Let’s just say for the moment, it’s a possibility.

 

We did have a good couple of days after you left. I have attached a video and pictures to help you get through the bad days. I may have watched the one of the babies looking at the nebula in absolute wonderment six times. They’re just so cute when they’re happy. They make everyone else happy. It’s infectious. I even had an early Father’s Day brunch since I would be back at work before the day showed up. I got something ceramic with baby D‘s handprints and a world’s best daddy T-shirt.

 

In other news, my teenage friend got a clue and broke up with the girlfriend. Thank the universe. I had a feeling that Ashley 3 was going to use her fencing skills on him if something didn’t happen. He said he did it because he realized that Ashley was uncomfortable, and he didn’t want to strain her relationship with her aunt. Being a kid of divorce, he understands things maybe a little too well.

 

Anyway, keep me abreast of the best gossip on the Hamilton that doesn’t revolve around you. I would do the same, but the best gossip on Enterprise is usually about Jim and Spock and it’s 99% wrong. They keep placing bets on when they’re going to get a divorce. I laugh every time because obviously the people making those bets don’t have to watch them make out all the time. Bright side, I’m going to win at least 5000 credits when they make it to their one year anniversary in a few days. Fingers crossed, nothing really bad happens on our next mission. We have a first contact, and you know how problematic those can be. Although usually less problematic than negotiating weapons nonproliferation agreements. Good luck.

 

Xxx

From: SuluHG2260

 

To: Benjamin_2254

 

Subject: Now resume a normal work schedule and I miss you

 

Time sent: 6/15/2260 06:06:01

 

Hey baby. I’m back to work. Two days back and we’re already on our way to the next mission. First contact. I am trying to decide how this will go. I have this feeling that I’m going to have to fly us out of there really fast. I’m kind of glad I’m not part of the main away team. It is a time to ease back into work.

 

 Anyway let me know when you get safely back to Earth. So fingers crossed that things work themselves out with Zack‘s parents.

Love you always.

Xxx          

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen; W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Time arrived: 6/15/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Thank You for the cookies

 

Hey mom, Kevin, and Liz:

I thought I would write all three of you at the same time since this is just a back on ship and all is well type of email. Also, I have like 600 emails that I need to read through because Margarita did sign to make sure I wouldn’t get work emails while I was on base.

 

Regardless, it was really great getting to spend time with all of you. Also I am thankful to my husband for doing a lot of the work stuff so I had more time. Not so thankful for the email thing, but I’m sure that’s because Margarita put me on sick leave for the week. My therapist doesn’t think I’m crazy, but would like to keep it that way. Apparently I need self-care and because I’m not that good at recognizing that Margarita and Spock have to arrange it for me. This does not surprise me.

 

Anyway, I hope you’re having a great flight back to San Francisco. Fingers crossed the ship is not crawling with viruses. I know nobody wants the stomach flu again. 

 

To be continued.

Chapter 59: Day 119: Waiting for my husband is hard

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike

 

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

Time arrived: 06/20/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: I survived my first Remembrance Day

 

Hi Jim.

Thank you for the cookie bouquet. It was delicious. It arrived a little late, but still appreciated. The perfect post spa day snack.

 

You’re right, the first remembrance ceremony is always the worst. Although, I think it helped that I managed to convince them to make it a joint memorial for those that were lost when the Vengeance crashed into San Francisco. Half the city is still under reconstruction and rent is getting almost as bad as it was back in the early 21st century. I think next year we’re going to do the ceremonies on that day. Of course, that would mean we’re doing it on the day you died, but your subsequent resurrection makes it an easier day to deal with.

 

Yes, I managed to avoid the copious amounts of alcohol at all San Francisco based remembrance events. I’m well aware of the pitfalls. I’ve seen pictures of Barnett changing your diaper and had to clean up after your mom on more than one occasion.

 

I’ve been thinking a lot about my next assignment and I’m considering taking the chief administrator position at Starfleet Academy in London. There’s something I want to do in my life that makes taking a planet side assignment more advantageous. I can’t spend all my time trying to chase down the people responsible for Chris dying. Maybe I must help with the rebuilding as well, which means working with the next generation. Barnett has things well in hand in San Francisco, but the London campus needs all the help it can get.

 

Also, while I was covered in cucumber slices, I did convince Chen to start a Starfleet widow’s club support group/employee affinity group. We’re going to start small with just HQ and one ship. Since you volunteered, you can start the group on Enterprise. I get to oversee the one at HQ for the moment at least. You know, unless I decide to go to London. Then I get to start one there too. London is starting to look better all the time.

 

Finally, thank you for sending party pictures. I really enjoyed Demora falling headfirst into her cake. Also, the look on Liz’s face when she realized that she got the bachelor party piñata was priceless. Although, I am going to talk to Starfleet legal about getting rid of that unlicensed product. It’s bad enough that there’s a Jim Kirk vibrator on the market.

 

I’m glad to hear that you got to take a few days off and that you’re working through everything. I am proud that you’re making progress even though I know it’s hard. I knew Margarita would be good for you. The good news is you have already gotten through some of the worst days of the year, so you’re home free until your birthday.

 

Also, your anniversary is coming up. Happy early anniversary. I assume that you’re going with the human wedding day.  I attached a gift card for the Red-Light District. It is one of the few places that will deliver to ships and well I’m sure you can find something to enjoy. Just don’t ever tell me what you do with the present.

 

PS: Nyota’s mom is in my office and would love to know if her grand-baby received the necklace making kit she sent up with Liz. Since Christine received a greetings from Yorktown digital postcard, she is concerned.

 

PSS: Please don’t ask why she knows that.

 Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

 

To: Number_one_Pike

 

Time arrived: 06/20/2260 07:01:01

 

Subject: Re: I survived my first Remembrance Day

 

I just assumed that Christine came to visit you. I would ask how your family reunion went, but I just survived my own, thankfully with sanity intact.  You have my sympathies. Yes, I mentioned it to Nyota. She will write back when she has a chance because her family relationships are equally complicated.

 

It was good to have a break, but now it’s back to work. Of course, this mission has me waiting on board as Spock gives the universe is bigger than you think speech to a planet that just got warp capacity. Fingers crossed nobody gets shot. I hate waiting so much.

 

I wish the anniversaries of bad days were done for the year, but we still have the anniversary of Jo Jo’s mom wrapping her car around a tree as well as miscarriage day. I already have operation distraction up in place for both.

 

The Ashleys have even volunteered to help. They are good people. A little shallow, but if I was a teenage girl and went through some of the things they went through, I think I would find something as frivolous as makeup and fashion to focus on. I did. Remember my 20th century music obsession. The 21st-century as well. Post traumatic has started being played a lot. It’s the soundtrack to my life again, but hey, I think I’m towards the back of the album now.

 

You’re probably asking yourself why is that a difficult day for me? One, Jo Jo is my favorite niece. Don’t tell babies D and K. I love them, but they’re just in the cute early stage. Jo Jo can do cool stuff. When Jo Jo is hurt, I hurt.

 

Second, what happened to her mom was always my biggest fear growing up. Winona has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. Remember Barnett changing my diaper. She was a functional alcoholic, but an alcoholic nonetheless. Tarsus just made a bad problem worse. Right now, Winona is sober. Really sober and I am just happy about that, but in my mind, I still worry. I’m wondering how long it’s gonna last. It’s going to fall apart eventually, I just know it. Am I going to eventually get an emergency call from Earth telling me that Winona managed to wrap her own car around a tree? You know that she had a DUI a couple of years ago.

 

I vote for you going to Starfleet London. As much as I like the idea of you being close to Kevin and Mom, I feel like you need something a little different. So, I think you would be great at taking over the Academy. You can do a lot of good there. I know you spent this last year chasing down those responsible for what happened, but it’s time to take a step back and do other things, especially things that will make you happy.

 

I scheduled a meeting today to talk to Margarita about starting our chapter of the Starfleet Widow’s club. I also think we need to start a chapter of my parents died support group mostly for the minors.

 

The children are doing well. We had a little hiccup with Ashley 3, but it’s worked itself out. Of course, this means Pav is single again. I hope he waits at least a month before he’s getting randomly kicked out of various people‘s rooms because he said the wrong thing the morning after. I feel like I’m going to have to have that talk with him. I am not his parent, but sometimes it feels like I am. Spock and I have like 1000 kids.  

 

At least working with Margarita today would give me something to do other than hurry up and wait. I am stuck on ship as Spock and the away team do a first contact. It’s been four hours and all check ins have been made and nobody’s been shot at yet. Also, nobody has accidentally eaten something that causes anaphylaxis. If things go well today, we’ll probably be here for a week for the initial information exchange, but these first contacts usually don’t go well. Which is understandable. You just achieved warp and then you found out that you’re not alone. Some people like to shoot first and ask questions later. I’m hoping that the inhabitants of @&&) $ do better. I hate Spock getting shot at.       

 

PS: Thank you for the gift.

Now I know what to spend your gift card on because I need to know whether to sue or send a thank you card to whoever slapped my name on that product. I’m sure Spock will be mortified when I tell him.

Xxxxxx

From: NyotaUM

 

To: MomOU

 

Time arrived: 6/20/2260 21:07:31

 

Subject: Thank you for the gifts.

 

We got your presents. Josephine enjoyed the dolls as well as the jewelry making kit. She’s more into painting and drawing, but she’s always willing to try anything once and there’s only so many books you can read. Also, no preteen says no to more junk food. It’s a precious commodity on ship although Leonard is watching our intake. It’s easy to gain weight on ship because a lot of the stuff is very sedentary. You know that. 

 

We are doing OK. The break on Yorktown was good although I didn’t have that much of a break. I had to do a lot of work with the long-range communications team setting up everything in the sensor lab. I am really interested in learning more about the nebula research project. It seems like something I wouldn’t mind doing later on. Yorktown is going to have a lot of communications officers stationed there. If the minors’ program doesn’t work out, Yorktown could be an option. Kids are allowed there.

 

Josephine likes her new teacher even though classes just started back today. She has had more control over the kids then the last professor, even Jeremy who is a nightmare. That kid has been horrible to Jo Jo. I know he’s been bullying her, but she won’t acknowledge it. Thankfully, Ashley 2 likes me now and tells me everything.

 

We’re all praying that his mother gets transferred somewhere else like Delta Vega. Scotty says even he can’t get in trouble on the ice planet of the damned. We’re all worried about that kid completely torpedoing the whole program the longer he stays. Please convince your fellow admirals not to penalize everyone else for one idiot. I know Sulu would like to have his daughter near him at some point along with a lot of other parents on ship.

 

So, I’m sure you realize that we’re getting closer to its being one year since I lost the baby. I’m sure you did because I saw those data chips for various grief books. I have read a few of those already. Margarita is thorough at her job. I have a session on the 23rd as well as a personal day, but I’m trying not to think about it. I’m focusing on planning their one-year anniversary party with Sulu. We’re planning to throw it in the face of certain idiots on ship that they’ve made it a year. Hey if Jim can throw a crazy birthday party for a one-year-old so he doesn’t have to think about Chris’s death, then I can throw the best anniversary party ever. Besides, I may have won a little something from engineering. Liz brought me supplies. I’m also donating the champagne you sent us to the party.

 

We’re not drinking as much because its such a trigger for Josephine. We’re also getting closer to the one-year anniversary of her mom wrapping her car around a tree. That’s a mess. I’m not sure how that’s going to go. Marc fed me a lot of cookies and ice cream on the one-year anniversary of grandma dying. That’s how we really became best friends.

 

Thankfully, Liz brought us a bunch of the good chocolate chip cookies so at least we have that. I really like her. She is a good mentor for Josephine.

 

Anyway, I have to go, but I’ll try to write again soon.

Chapter 60: Day 122: Making Peace with What We Can’t Change

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. So today is the one-year anniversary of Nyota’s miscarriage in this universe. We have a lot of anniversaries related to bad events in the lives of our characters in the story. Such is life.

Warning: grab tissues

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Jim’s_cuddlebear

Time arrived: 06/23/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: I just thought I would check in

Thank you, Spock, for letting me know about my husband’s final thoughts. I don’t know if Jim shared it with you, but I was in the elevator coming up to join you guys when the attacks happened. I wanted to run in there and say my goodbyes to Chris, but Rodriguez wouldn’t let me go in there. She just knew that I couldn’t see him like that. Seeing him later that night completely cleaned up in Starfleet medical was bad enough. Seeing him so lifeless hurt my heart. Chris was always the most vibrant person in the room.

But knowing that Chris’s final thoughts were of me and he creating a family gives me peace. It also gives me the strength to move forward and move closer to making his final dreams a reality. I spent this last year working on fixing Starfleet to make sure that what happened to Chris doesn’t happen to anybody else. I think I stayed busy, so I don’t have to think about the loss, but eventually you do have to deal with it.

So this year my goal is to really process things and start moving forward. I know what I want to do. Christine thinks I’m crazy, but even though we look the same age I have to remind her that I am the adult and get to make my own choices. Of course maybe she thinks I’m crazy to do what I’m planning to do because of my age, but I’m not that old. Or maybe she thinks I’m crazy because I’m planning to do it on my own. Okay, I’m wondering that too, but I feel like I need to do this.

I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but you kind of gave me that last push I needed. So thank you for that. This also means I’m definitely taking the job in London. I was hoping to wait until I heard back from Jim about that, but I must make the decision faster than the Starfleet email system.

So how is everything going with you guys? Also, happy anniversary. I already sent Jim your anniversary present. Please keep him from telling me what you guys do with it. I definitely prefer not to know.
Xxxx
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear

To: Number_one_Pike

Time arrived: 06/23/2260 06:15:01

Subject: Re: I just thought I would check in

I am glad I could provide you with some comfort as well as help you decide on a new course of action. Also I think London may be a good place for you and James agreed with me. Of course, you will probably already be aware of that since mother’s will most likely arrive before mine. Despite still being on Earth, it would be a change of scenery that may help with moving forward.

I feel my dad has taken a similar path at first after Amanda‘s death. Considering the catastrophic destruction of old Vulcan, it made sense for him to focus on the needs of rebuilding. But now that things have become more settled, he has decided to become a foster parent again. We spoke while I was at Yorktown and he expects to have a child in his care within the next month. He considered having more genetic children, but at this time felt it was more advantageous to nurture the surviving children before creating more simply for the sake of the species. Not everybody agrees with him, but my father is used to that.

However, I don’t say this to discourage you from your decision. If you wish to have a child via the sperm saved from your deceased husband that is your decision to make and only your decision. However, James and I will support you in any way feasible.

Thank you for the anniversary present. As requested, I will not tell you what James decided to purchase with the gift card. I am currently engaging in a first contact, that is thankfully going very well. However, we are both concerned with the red light district carrying products with our name and likeness attached. The existence of a sexual aid in the likeness of Vulcan genitalia bearing my name is offensive and I would like for it to cease. If Starfleet is not engaging in litigation against the company, I will secure my own legal counsel.

xxxx
Dear baby:
I thought I would be done with these therapy letters and journals after Dr. Margarita took over, but no. Apparently, she also finds this technique very useful and encourages everyone to keep writing in their journals.

Your big sister is on her third journal. I have no idea what she writes and I am completely banned from reading them. Jim said he would transfer me to another ship if I violate anybody’s privacy again and I think he means it. Although, I’m 99% sure she has a crush on Checkov without reading her innermost thoughts. She stares at him a little too much and was very unhappy when she found out he had a girlfriend. I would totally find this weird if it wasn’t for the fact that her grandfather just married someone younger than me. Okay and her dad is more than a decade older than me. I feel like a long conversation about age appropriateness and grooming will need to be had at some point in the future.

So today it’s been exactly one year since I found out that you existed only to find out you were already gone. I’m still sad about that. My heart still hurts. I’m not blaming myself anymore for what happened. I am blaming a certain ex Starfleet nurse who is still in prison for drugging me with fertility medication. But I’m dealing with it.

Some days I imagine what it would have been like for you to be with me right now. We would totally be kicking it at Yorktown presently because even though Enterprise allows preteens and teenagers, babies would be a little too much. I recently spent a week with Sulu’s daughter and future stepdaughter at the space station. They are the cutest and they had so much fun together on the station. It seems like a good place to raise a baby and still be part of Starfleet.

I had a dream last night about you playing with the two of them. Part of me wished that was real, but it just wasn’t meant to be and I accept that, but that doesn’t mean part of me isn’t hurt because it is.

However just because you’re not here doesn’t mean I’m not a mother because I am. I have Josephine and she is perfect. Again, I’m pretty sure she has a crush on a 19-year-old, but I can deal with that, especially because said 19-year-old knows that I would totally cut off his privates if he did anything inappropriate. However, I definitely prefer the 19-year-old over Jeremy again because the 19-year-old knows better. I seriously want his mom transferred to Delta Vega.

I even had a Mother’s Day brunch this year. The pancakes were slightly burnt, but it was good. I also got presents.

I don’t care that much about biology. While on Yorktown, I observed Sulu treat his boyfriend’s daughter just like his own daughter. Kevin is equally doted on by Jim and Winona. Actually, Jim says it’s worse now that Winona is sober. I personally think it was because they were coming up on Jim’s death day, but I’m keeping those thoughts to myself.

That doesn’t mean I don’t miss you and I wish you were here. Because I do, but I’m just making peace with how things are. You can’t change the past. Not without red matter anyway and things just go badly in the interim. Last time that stuff was brought out, Vulcan was destroyed. Let’s not repeat that.

Anyway, hugs and kisses, love, mommy

To be continued

Chapter 61: Day 127: I Just Want to Hug You

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

xxxxx

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: Home Again

Time arrived: 6/28/2260 00:00:01

Hey, sweetie!

 

Hey I found your letter when I was packing. You made me cry twice. You’re the best.

 

 I thought about writing you immediately, but I decided to wait until I got back to San Francisco. Also I had to deal with two kids who cried a lot, but it got better by the second day of the trip. We arrived back in San Francisco last night, but I kind of fell asleep the moment we got back to the house.

Oh, did I mention that I got subpoenaed by Zach’s parents, the moment I stepped off the shuttle. DNA test for Kitty cat. So much for arbitration. I mean, I know what the results are going to say. We purposely decided that the first round, we would use Zach’s sperm and a donor who looks like me. Baby number two was supposed to use my sperm and an egg donor that looks like Zach, but we never did get to the second baby. It doesn’t matter. The rights of married couples using gestational carriers and donor eggs have been well documented and established legally over the last two centuries. K is my baby.

 

Shawn says not to worry. He is not even fighting the summons despite the fact my last lawyer did. I’m going to trust him on the second part, but on the first part, I can’t help but be concerned. Last time the court sided with me, but here we are again. I feel like even if we win again, they are going to keep doing this because they’re punishing me for living. They didn’t even talk to Zach for the last year of his life and yet they’re being so bitter about all of this.

 

In contrast, you’re not even here and I’m invited to a second birthday party for Desi next weekend, being thrown by your big sister. I think it’s an excuse for her kids to have more cake. Yes, I promise not to mention the fact that she was perfectly okay with stepping in to the role of step mom to the girls, but not up to taking in her niece. I will be on my best behavior and bite my tongue, mostly because your family is still halfway decent.

 

I miss you too. I definitely wish I could’ve had you with me when I got the subpoena at the spaceport. A hug would have been nice. I even wish Sue was still there, but Liz was good in a pinch. I really like her and her boyfriend. It’s good that Desi has such a big extended family. I just wish baby K had more family in her life. Especially not evil family.

 

I’m sure we are going to see each other again sooner rather than later. You do earn vacation time and I know what I’m getting into. I agreed to have a kid with Zach when I knew I was going to be the stay-at-home parent. Hell, I was a Starfleet child. You know both of my parents are retired. Granted, they did wait until their late 40s to have me, but they were still off on missions a lot during the early years. I’m not going to be angry because what you do is important. Literally, there wouldn’t be in Earth right now or even a San Francisco because of the stuff. Your team does important things and they need you. I’m sure the same is true of Sue’s team.

 

I do understand why you feel that way though. I’m here every day and I still feel like I missed so much when I drop the baby off at daycare or when I see Desi after a couple of days. I know it must be worse for you, but she knows what you and Sue are doing is important or at least she will understand that once she gets older. She knows that you guys love her. I eventually realized that when I was a kid. This is the sacrifice of being in the military. We understand.

 

So how has life on Enterprise been after vacation? Any crazy missions? Are Jim and Spock getting into trouble? I really do think they share a brain. It’s weird and adorable. Write me when you get a chance. Random gossip about your work life can distract me from the complicated nature of my relationship with my former in-laws.

Xxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Re: Home Again

Time arrived: 6/28/2260 05:30:41

 

I wish I could do more to distract you from the evil, former in-laws. Actually, we just had a ridiculously peaceful first contact. No violence, no bloodshed, not even Jim accidentally eating something that could send him into anaphylaxis. Of course, it helped that Jim only came down the last day as Spock’s escort because they wanted to meet Captain Spock’s husband before signing the memo of understanding between the planet and the Federation.

 

They agreed to a cultural exchange and diplomatic visits explaining more about what the Federation does as well as learning more about the other planets in the Federation. This does give both parties time to decide if the planet is a right fit for the Federation. I’m sure the Federation is on board because of mineral rights. Sometimes I think the Federation has some imperialistic type values that don’t quite mash with our general utopian philosophies, but Admiral Grandma is working on it.

It is nice to have a mission where nobody dies and everything is beautiful. This rarely happens so we’re halfway expecting to be shot at by somebody as we’re leaving. I even got to spend two days on planet taking soil and plant samples. Some other plant life has been documented to combat what we would refer to as cancer in the local inhabitants. I’m hoping that the MOU will allow us to study the plant life and see if it can help with finding cures for some of the strains of cancer that had been trickier than others in other species. I love science. Stuff like this reminds me why I’m here.

 

I’m kind of happy that I’m dating a Starfleet brat. Most civilians don’t get Starfleet life, but you’re not really a civilian.

 

I’m not going to deal with the sisters until I have to. Nor am I going to really complain about it because you are dealing with so much worse. I knew about the party because both wrote to me about it. Maybe they’re trying to make up for deciding that Desi should live with Auntie Liz. I don’t know. Honestly, I really don’t care. I’m sure we’re going to have to unpack this eventually, but not right now.

 

Don’t worry about the court stuff. Shawn is good. He won against Leonard’s ex-wife, despite the fact she had most of the Georgia legal system in her pocket. Shawn also went head-to-head with the judge after the ex-wife died. If anybody knows how to deal with a potentially ugly custody situation, it is Shawn Matthews. I have complete faith that he will make sure this goes in your favor.

 

I’m glad Liz is still there and I hope you keep hanging out with the playgroup even though Sue isn’t with you right now. Sue said that you made lots of friends and I feel like you’re going to need them all. I wish I could be there, but I know you’re not alone.

 

Anyway, give the kids both a kiss good night for me. And remember, even if I’m light-years away, I really do love you.

Chapter 62: Day 129: When the World’s on Fire, All I Need Is You

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

So today is Jim and Spock’s first wedding anniversary. Yay they survived one year of marriage without catastrophe. Let’s raise our metaphorical glasses to the happy couple.

The title for this chapter comes from the Mike Shinoda song World’s on Fire. If this song existed when I was writing Jim and Spock’s wedding chapter years ago, this would have been their wedding song.

Chapter Text

Dear Spock:

Happy anniversary, my Spock bear. We are going with the human day because I was totally aware that I was pledging myself to spend the rest of my life with you. Also, our bonding anniversary happens to coincide with you kind of sort of trying to kill me, so definitely not going with that day. We should celebrate happy days. Although, I totally forgive you because you know my stance on erotic asphyxiation. Although, that’s a vacation activity because Nyota would punch first and ask questions later, if I showed up with bruises around my neck.

 

Contrary to what most of the engineering betting pool believed, we have survived an entire year of marriage without once thinking of contacting a divorce attorney. So it’s time to celebrate, probably when you wake up in the morning.

 

Okay, it’s just one minute after midnight, but technically our anniversary and I’m too hyper to sleep. Which is totally unfair because you need so much less sleep than me and yet you’re out like a light. We could totally be having anniversary sex right now which would put me out. You know orgasms make me sleepy.

 

Sometimes I’m surprised we survived this year with nothing really bad happening to us other than me getting stranded on another planet for a few days. Sulu told me you are an absolute wreck when I was gone, which makes total sense.

 

Okay, something bad did happen, but not to us. Mom is sober and trying to figure out where she’s going next. Kevin and Liz are still together and raising baby Desi together. Also, the condom didn’t break. Thank the universe because I want nieces and nephews to play with, but not for at least five more years. You and I have successfully adjusted to our new work roles.

 

I don’t think I realized how stressed out I was being the youngest Captain in Starfleet until we switched. I think it does work better with you in charge. I mean, I only survived the first year because of your help, due to the fact there was so much stuff I didn’t know. You can get straight A’s in all your command track classes, but still not be prepared for the real-life situations that come with command. At least you logged several years of first officer time before jumping into the seat. Now that I’m first officer, I’m learning a lot of things about how the ship works and how to keep the cruise sane and happy that I didn’t see before. I think that’s going to make me better next time around.

 

Although I’ve miss your very detail oriented briefing papers and I’m never going to be able to write one as good as you. Although you survived our most recent first contact with nothing bad happening, so I must be doing something right.

 

I also make great arm candy. My ass pops in the dress uniform. I definitely make a great captain’s spouse. I am witty and beautiful and excellent in hand-to-hand combat, if it comes to that. I’m still surprised that the last mission went so well.

 

I am going to enjoy most of the ship being pissed because they lost a lot of credits to the bridge crew. Never bet against Jim Kirk because you will lose. I’ve never done what anybody has expected of me a day in my life and I am definitely not starting now.

 

Nobody expected us to survive because of my shady reputation, but we are and I’m happy. I’m happy to share my life with you. I’m happy to work with you. I’m happy for you to be my partner and my best friend. You understand me on a level that not many other people do and that’s not just because we can talk in our head sometimes.

 

You know I have a long list of issues from the daddy who died minutes after I was born to the alcoholic mom to the dead brother and finally getting raped by my step dad. And that’s all the stuff that happened before I hit adulthood, not even counting my therapist dying in a drunk driving accident and me dying. Yet despite all those issues and the fact that I am a completely broken person, you love me. You don’t want to fix me, you just want to be with me and hold my hand as we navigate our way through all of our issues.

 

I know that you care about me not just because I can feel your emotions or even because we still exchange these little notes, but in a free little thing that you do. I can see it in the way you smile just for me. I feel it in the discrete Vulcan kisses that you always initiate when we’re on the bridge together. I feel it in the way that you look at me when you don’t think I see.

 

You were totally checking my ass out on the bridge yesterday which is okay because I did that a lot when I was in the chair. Can I tell you that’s like the one thing I really miss? It’s just not quite the same doing that from the bed. Although you’re usually naked so bonus points for that.

I know you care because no matter how bad things are. I know you’re by my side. And because you’re by my side, I know I can survive anything.

 

Sometimes at night I wonder about what my life would be like without you. Or rather, at least what my life would be like if we didn’t figure out that we were hopelessly in love with each other. I dream about it sometimes, at least I think it’s just a dream. Maybe they are visions of the other life especially because I see everything from a Spock perspective. I guess I’m experiencing the memories of the other you. That Spock is sad, especially any time I or rather other me made out with someone else and really pissed. I feel like I need to apologize for my other self being an idiot the next time we see your counterpart. Whoever says Vulcans can’t feel is full of shit.

So I’m happy that things are the way that they are. I love you as my husband. I love Kevin as my baby brother. I’m happy with you as my partner. When the galaxy is on fire possibly literally, I know I have you and that makes it possible to get through the bad days.

 

So this was supposed to be my card for your anniversary present which is a shiny bracelet and a red light district chocolate love pack. But well, I started rambling because you make me ramble. I really have a lot of trouble articulating how I feel about you.

 

I really want to use that chocolate body paint from the kit on you tonight, but apparently there is supposed to be a surprise anniversary party instead after shift. Nyota forgot to tell Jo Jo that it was a surprise party and she told me. So please act totally surprised when we get dragged away for an emergency in rec room six. I think Jeremy is supposed to be doing something evil which would be totally believable.

 

Sulu told me that he tried to get a hold of some of your “Vulcan headache medication” even though it’s not time for harvest yet. I can’t wait until we can make municipal Vulcan headache Blondies. Have I said how happy I am that cannabis is Vulcan headache medication?

 

So tonight, you and I are going to discretely make out in front of half the crew and dance a lot. I’m also okay if you get chocolate tipsy. Fingers crossed we don’t get attacked tonight, although I am totally worried about that because the first contact went a little too well.

 

I love you always and let us hope that the next 70 years run just as smoothly.


 

Dear James:

I cherish you deeply. I do not want to think of a reality where you and I took decades to acknowledge our true feelings regarding one another. I am grateful that we are together and you are my best friend as well as husband. I am also satisfied that we have been able to spend the year together in relative peace.

 

I do not know why Nyota assumed she could surprise us with a party, but I will try to act surprised. Although, I am sad that we will be unable to make adequate use of the chocolate body paint tonight due to our social engagement. However, I believe we will have time to engage in that in three days’ time when Mr. Sulu will be out late teaching his fencing class unless we are at high alert, at that time.

 

Thank you for the bracelet. I find it aesthetically pleasing You have admirable taste in jewelry. It is also within Starfleet regulations. Therefore, I will wear it on duty this morning. Also, the inscription was very touching. You will always be my heart as well. I appreciate that you chose to have it inscribed in Vulcan instead of Standard.

 

I also had your present shipped to us while we were at Yorktown. I hope you enjoyed the hardcopy anthology of Terran love poetry I found for you. I’ve been told that the first anniversary present should be paper, according to human custom. Although, I did order a happy anniversary kit from the red-light district. Of course, that was before I knew they were selling sex aids using our name. I would not have patronized the establishment, if I had known about their gross violation of our personhood.

 

In addition, in the closet are the wedding presents from your brother and future sister-in-law. I have not opened them yet because I am worried your brother may have purchased their present from the red-light district as well for the sole purpose of embarrassment. Also, I felt it is appropriate for us to open them together.

I love you my T'hy'la


 

Dear Spock Bear:

Okay, that’s definitely sounds like something my brother would do, especially if he could get a copy of the surveillance file of us opening the gift. Liz would have stopped him, and I think she did, since I received a very ultra-hard to find vinyl copy of Post Traumatic. We dance to one of the songs on the album at the party. I really do love everything Linkin Park and Mike Shinoda. That may have followed my Beastie Boys phase. Keep that in mind for next year’s present. I have no idea what you’re supposed to get for year two. Actually, I didn’t even know about year one. Otherwise, I probably would’ve looked for a volume of Vulcan poetry. Although, that stuff is now really expensive for reasons we won’t discuss. I’m completely expecting you to read various selections from your present to me. I love your voice. You’re so sexy when you read out loud.

 

Okay, it is totally a date in three days. Besides, we can’t do fun, sexy times tonight because I’m pretty sure Chekov is crying in our bathroom because his ex-girlfriend was dancing with someone else at our anniversary party. Kudos for him being with someone more age-appropriate, but I think he really liked her. See this is why I’m so happy that you and I are married. No more me crying in the bathroom.

 

Even though you and I both know our super spectacular anniversary party happened because Nyota wanted to be distracted from thinking about the miscarriage, it was good party other than the crying navigator in our bathroom. The cookies were delicious. The only bad part was Jeremy trying to procure some alcohol. Seriously, why was the kid even there? Can I promote his mom just to get him off the ship? I’m totally willing to kick her upstairs just to get away from him.


 

Dear James:

No, you cannot. And obviously our navigator has vacated the bathroom since you are now showering. However, since it is close to midnight, it is better that we sleep. However, to aid you in a restful sleep, I will read you various selections from your anniversary present.

To be continued.

Chapter 63: Day 132: Greetings from San Francisco

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

CC: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 7/03/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Happy anniversary

 

So, I was elected to send this email and let you know that we’re back home safe. Mostly because unlike Kevin, I’m not spending eight hours a day interning in the office of the head of Starfleet. Nor was I asked to consult with the head of the engineering track at the Academy. So good news, Winona may be slowly dipping her feet back into the world of gainful employment. You know she’s consulted before when she is healthy, but it hasn’t been necessary because of Tarsus hush money. Now she’s back at it and enjoying it. At least so far.

 

So, I should start this by wishing you and the husband a happy one year of marriage. Also, thank you for winning me 10,000 credits in my dorm betting pool. Yes, people bet against you guys lasting a year. Yes, they’re all idiots and I am so happy that I’ve graduated to adult housing. Do cadets just gain common sense once they become officers or do all the really stupid people flunk out of the Academy before they get that far? Sue says it’s just you are so busy once working that you don’t have time for stupidity or pay attention to the stupidity. I’m not sure, even after my semester on ship.

 

Your mom and Kevin also say happy anniversary. Although don’t be upset that I’m the one passing this message because we did give Spock your anniversary presents when we were in Yorktown. There may be some cards in there. We gave them to him because we completely trust him not to sneak a look before your actual anniversary. You not so much.

 

I hope you guys have something fun planned for the day. I am not sure if this email is going to get to you before or after your anniversary, but I hope it’s good and no Klingons are involved.

 

I am adjusting to full-time motherhood. I’m also reading lots of articles on how soon potty training is appropriate. The self-recycling diaper genie just doesn’t take care of everything. I think Ben is going to start again soon. He may also throw a couple of dirty diapers at his former in-laws. They’re so horrible.

 

I’ve met a couple of Zach’s friends and his sister Zoe. From all the stories I’ve heard, Zach was like the sweetest person to ever grace the halls of Starfleet, apparently. How did the guy end up with parents that are like the epitome of evil? Even their own daughter is on Ben’s side. She carried baby K. She was even planning to be the egg donor for the next baby. Zoe hasn’t talked to her parents outside of a court hearing in over two years and that was at her brother’s funeral. I feel so normal now.

 

It almost makes me glad that my biological family was so caught up in their grief that nobody claimed me and I ended up with Sue and the Admiral. I haven't liked them on the few times we’ve met. Yes, my mom can be a little much, but I know she loves me even though she does question some of our decisions. She’s kind of worried about me taking a lower-class load, but I have the Kobayashi Maru this semester so she is willing to compromise with my decision to spend less time in school. Besides, I don’t want Desi to spend her life in daycare. I spent way too much time there as a kid. That is what happens with parents who are more into their careers than their children. Sure Tarsus is a great place to raise our kids. Can you tell I’m still bitter? I’m working through it.

 

Anyway, write me when you have a chance. We all miss you.

 

Xxxxx

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: SulxuHG2260

Time arrived: 7/03/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Greetings from your child’s caregiver

 

Okay you are so adorable when you’re writing to your daughter. It’s just super cute. Also I like that you talk to her as a person and not as a baby or an extension of yourself. I still have some of the letters that my biological parents sent me when I was a kid and I was talked down to a lot and they also kept a lot of things from me. This totally explains why I put pictures of myself in the bag when my mom went to have Daisy. Yes, I know I have issues and mommy hood is kind of bringing them out a little bit.

 

Just so you know I am 100% team Ben. I love your boyfriend. Desi is team Ben as well. I think him being around is helping with Sue not being here. It’s like she still has another one of her parents. I think once the court drama is dealt with, we will plan a few sleepovers.

 

I know Ben said he wrote you a couple of days ago so let me give you another update on the horribleness of the former in-laws. They refuse arbitration. They’re suing for full custody again with their new lawyer who is been known for his homophobia and xenophobia. Really perfect lawyer for that family. They’re completely trying to challenge Ben’s parental rights and the legality of his marriage to Zach. Shawn is so ready to rip everybody apart.

 

Speaking of complicated family, apparently tomorrow I must survive a second one-year-old birthday party with more small children. I didn’t know that your sister had kids. I thought Desi was the firstborn grandkid. I don’t remember them at the family reunion. Anyway, the baby’s looking forward to it. Probably because she knows there’ll be more toys and cake. She's a little spoiled sweetie pie.

 

She’s adjusting to Sue not being here. I think having a few extra days with you helped a lot, but the flight back home was bad. She did cry a lot, but it’s been better since we’ve been back at home in the apartment. Also play group has helped. She is so much better at socializing than I am. Although little kids are still sweet and innocent. Only their parents are awful. Thankfully, the current play group is actually pretty decent. Everybody there loves my sister and I think they’re mildly tolerant of me. We shall see what happens when I bring Kevin. Also I got three phone numbers, despite mentioning I have a boyfriend. I feel like play group is going to be fun.

 

Anyway, write me when you can. I want to hear about your space adventures.

Xxxx

 

From: SulxuHG2260

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 7/03/2260 06:20:49

Subject: Re: Greetings from your child’s caregiver

 

Technically Desi is the first biological grandkid. My sister’s kids are from her husband, Jie’s previous relationship with the flaky. Their mom, Alicia, is a biologist on Devon. After Emily was born, she decided that motherhood and a long-term relationship wasn’t for her and left. And when I mean left, I mean she left the hospital with baby still there. He met my sister a week later as she planned a baby shower blowout on behalf of his friends to cheer Jie up.

 

Alicia’s parental rights were promptly terminated, which was how I met Shawn in the first place. He was still Starfleet legal at that point, but still had ties with the family law firm. We may have dated for a little bit, but it wasn’t meant to be. I’m glad for that because now I have Ben who I absolutely adore.

 

I’m glad that you’re team Ben. He needs all the support that he can get because I feel like things are even worse than what you’re telling me. But I trust Shawn, he’s good. At the same time, I’m worried. His daughter is his world and I think he would fall apart if he lost her. I just have this feeling that if his former in-laws win, he’s not going to get to see baby K anymore. They just seem like bitter, vengeful people. I know they lost their son, but that is still no excuse for their behavior.

 

I’m also relieved that Desi is nowhere near as traumatized by both me and Sue being off working, as I initially feared. Even more grateful that being there supplies a little more continuity.

 

Fingers crossed the birthday party goes well. There may have been a cake fight at the last niece’s party that I went to which may have been the first niece’s party. One advantage to Starfleet is avoiding things like family gatherings. Of course now that I have Desi that feels like a disadvantage. I’m sorry that I’m triggering memories of your childhood. I don’t want things to be like that. And yet here we are.

 

Give Desi kisses and hugs for me. The next parts just for her. Send me party pictures.

 

Xxxx

Dear Demora:

Hey baby. I heard you’re getting a second birthday party. I bet you’re going love all your additional presents and getting another shot at the cake. Please don’t dive headfirst this time. Regardless, make sure Aunt Liz and Uncle Kevin take lots of pictures.

 

I know you’ve only been home a little bit, but I miss you so much. Hugs and kisses. Be good for your Aunt Liz and Uncle Kevin and especially Ben. He needs extra hugs. You have no idea how lucky you are that all your grandparents love and support us. Some people don’t get that.

xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 7/03/2260 21:09:021

Subject: Re: Happy anniversary

 

I feel like it’s a combination of everything. A lot of the stupid people never make it on to a ship. Although I feel like my ship might be teeming with the survivors right now. We’re weeding out some of the really ridiculous ones. Of course I can totally see your mom’s predecessor purposely stacking my ship with stupid people. You remember the nurse now serving time for drugging Nyota. We really had some winners on board. I can’t wait for September transfer season. I’m looking forward to it so much. I’m going through personnel files right now and writing up some transfer recommendations. Along with a few other recommendations that might be disciplinary in nature.

 

At least the HR stuff gives me something to do during our next mission, which is apparently playing diplomatic fairy for a few days. I hate diplomatic fairy assignments with a fiery passion. After the Vengeance fiasco, apparently the militarization of Starfleet is a major point of concern. There’s going to be a big conference on #$@$ and we have to drop off 30 different delegates that we will be picking up from Star base 18 later today. Fun.

 

Thankfully, the Mandela will be picking them up a week after we dropped them off so we don’t have to stick around or provide security. The crew of Vista will take care of that. We get to move on to more star mapping and I can’t believe I’m looking forward to more star mapping. Bonus my father-in-law will not be among the diplomats. I like my father-in-law, but in small doses and usually when Spock is heavily medicated with chocolate. Besides, these next few will be bad enough without him anyway.

 

We had a good anniversary party. And yes, I enjoy driving in the face of people who are betting on our divorce that we are still 100% happy together. I’m pretty sure Nyota planned the thing to not think about the miscarriage anniversary, but I planned your niece’s birthday party to not think about Chris. We all have our ways of dealing with trauma and according to Margarita, this one’s acceptable.

 

Thank you for the anniversary presents. You know I love vinyl. I also like chocolate body paint. However, I won’t tell you what I do with the chocolate body paint so as not to traumatize you. Although maybe I should be traumatized for including the Spock dildo in there. I don’t know if you are going full white elephant or just wanted us to know about our name being used for sex toys. Pike mentioned it earlier, which led to some interesting browsing of the red light district website. Lawyers will be consulted.

 

I’m glad Winona is working again. It’s good that she’s getting to the point where she can do stuff like that. I really do want her moving forward and keeping a job is always a good sign of that. If she’s working that mean she’s semi-healthy. It was good to see her happy and sober a couple weeks ago.

 

We are all working on our issues. You’re entitled to yours. Really, it is a small miracle you didn’t have more.

To be continued.

Notes:

 

So when working on more recent chapters (I’m about eight chapters ahead). I couldn’t remember if I gave Zack sister a name and decided to go with Zoe. Then I read through this chapter and realize I used Melissa and decided I like Zoe better. I don’t think I use the name before this chapter but I think I’ll have a better time remembering Zoe anyway so Zoe it is. Trying to remember the names of all my original characters is very hard.

Chapter 64: Day 137: Reconsidering Internship Choices

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Kevin KR

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 7/8/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Maybe working for my girlfriend’s mom was not the best idea

 

Why did I want to do a summer internship with my girlfriend’s mom? I feel like I’m doing triple what any of the other interns are doing because I want to make the best impression possible on the woman, despite the fact that she rescued me from famine and genocide. I don’t think it’s possible to ever overwrite that first impression. I’m always going to be someone that needs protecting. You understand that with the overprotective stepmom.

 

Okay, I might also be overworking because I don’t want the rumor mill to think I only got a top internship because I’m dating the daughter of the head of Starfleet or my brother is the infamous Captain Kirk. I love my brother, but sometimes it’s hard to be in his shadow. Everybody expects me to be just like him. It was like that in Riverside as well, but in a more negative way.

 

Okay, the professors that don’t know how to do math think I’m George’s other kid which adds to the pressure. There’s a lot of professors at the Academy who are really bad at math, apparently. Sometimes, I wish I enrolled at the Academy under my birth name of Riley. But, then they would know I survived Tarsus and honestly, I prefer the nepotism accusations to that.

 

Also I feel like Kevin Riley died on Tarsus when he saw his family be killed. Kevin Kirk is a different person. See this is why I totally understand why you decided to change your name.

 

Not everything is horrible. I’m learning a lot of important future diplomatic skills such as creative lying and how to pretend to drink. Alcohol is apparently a major tool of diplomacy and the ability to look like you’re drunk when you’re actually are completely sober is a valuable tool in your arsenal. Thanks to Winona, I prefer to stay sober. I’m sure you understand why. Probably better than anyone, but my brother.

 

We did ship your package to your aunt the day after we got back. She called last night to let us know that it arrived safely. We also talked a little bit. She seems healthier, although she’s sad. It’s understandable, we’re heading into your anniversary month.

 

The first one is always the worst. I would say it gets better, but that’s not quite true. Maybe you get better at dealing with the grief as more time passes by. At the same time, it’s always going to be a part of you. But not the only part. You’re going to grow and become someone else and then the grief will just be a little part of you.

 

She mentioned something about getting the hell out of Georgia and that’s probably best. I may have passed on her name to Shawn. He is looking for new associates as he builds up his own firm. He doesn’t want to just be an extension of the family practice. San Francisco might be a good place to look into relocating to.

 

Winona is happier here. Now that she just signed the papers for the farm to become the Kirk Museum, her move here is permanent. Liz’s mom actually hired her on to be a consultant. I’m personally shocked about that one. After the Tarsus fiasco and the fit that she threw when both Jim and I signed up for the Academy, you would think she would never, ever want anything to do with Starfleet again, but here we are.

 

Baby D misses you. She misses everybody, but you as well. You’re one of her favorite friends. Even more than her cousins which she got to spend quality time with at a very Sulu birthday party. Pictures attached. Please share with Sulu.

 

Yes, we had to do a second birthday party for baby D with the Sulu family. Good news, it went better than a very Sulu family reunion. I think that’s mostly because the evil family members weren’t there. Also I think they like Liz and Ben better than Sue. I’m not going to touch that one. However, I think I liked my brother’s party better even with that bachelor party Enterprise piñata. Actually, because of it. Your dad was as red as a beat. You on the other hand couldn’t stop giggling. Almost 12-year-olds know things. Too much really.

 

Full-time parenthood is an interesting experience. Desi’s favorite word is no. She’s also getting the handle of running. Like running into an elevator and pressing the button before we could catch up. Thankfully, the Admiral is paranoid and Desi has a tracking bracelet. I’ve been using the find my toddler app a lot. Like at the other birthday party, we found Desi making a cake angel, again. This is what happens when you live somewhere where there is no snow. I still wonder how she climbed up on the table.

 

Yes, I include pictures. I hope they make you laugh.

 

As we get closer to the anniversary of that day, just remember my email is always open and may take me forever to respond, but I will respond.

 

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 7/8/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Happy anniversary, big brother

 

So happy late anniversary, even if I’m sending this to you on your anniversary. I’m sure you probably got your presents from the husband by this point. I’m the one who kept Liz from getting you the happy anniversary package from the red light district so you’re welcome.

 

So just that you know the family house is now on its way to becoming a museum and you’re getting your own trust fund. Not that you need it, since you married royalty. I think Winona actually smiled when she signed the papers. It’s like she’s free from the past. Maybe that’s a good thing.

 

Also, mom is now a Starfleet contractor for the Academy. She is working with the engineering department. I have money on her teaching classes for winter semester. We shall see.

 

How is work? I haven’t heard anything about new missions going badly so I think things are well at the moment. At least I hope so.

 

The internship is going well-ish. I only hate half the people I’m working with. Oh, and Desi made a cake angel at her other birthday party. It turns out you can’t get chocolate icing out of lace without taking it to the cleaners. At least I can’t. Pictures attached. I sent an upload to Sulu as well, but I’m not sure if it made it. Your system is weird.

 

Xxxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 7/8/2260 17:03:01

Subject: Maybe working for my girlfriend’s mom was not the best idea

 

I’m glad she got the present and I agree she needs to get out of Georgia. I think not being there helps me the most. There’s just too many reminders of how bad things got. Plus, Grandpa Lee is there and he’s horrible. He puts so much pressure on everybody to be absolutely perfect, according to his standards. No one could measure up, especially mom. I’m not even sure if he knows that auntie is a lesbian. Probably not. So I kind of understand what it is like for you at the Academy, always being in someone’s shadow. That is another reason why I’m glad I’m not in Georgia anymore. I’m only McCoy’s kid here and that’s a lot better than the alternative. It’s better than being a Lee granddaughter.

 

For similar reasons, it’s probably best that your mom is with you in San Francisco. There were probably way too many bad memories there. I’m glad she’s recovering and staying sober. I’m glad she wants that. Not everybody does. My mom didn’t.

 

Thank you for the offer. When I’m ready to really talk about my mom, I think you’ll be first on the list outside of Margarita, but I’m not quite ready to have the deep conversations yet. Margarita doesn’t let me have a choice. I have sessions scheduled for the 13th, 14th and 15th. I hope there’s board games and chocolate.

 

But right now I’m not ready to really dive into the issues. Especially with the anniversary coming up. I don’t want to think about it. I wish I could pretend it’s another day, but I can’t even look at the Disney swag from last year without getting sad. I was off frolicking at Disneyland when my mom was off dying in a car alone.

 

I’m almost thankful that I have classes full-time on Enterprise. Schoolwork is a good distraction. Gina is so much better. And yes, she lets us call her Gina. Jeremy hates her. I’m pretty sure he tried to drug her twice. Of course anybody that Jeremy hates is automatically the best teacher ever.

 

We’re doing a poetry unit right now and we’re going to do all the fun stuff. She decided I’m doing the same language arts curriculum as the others because I work on their level. I may be testing out of middle school soon.

 

We’re about to break for lunch so I must wrap this out. And yes we talked. There’s been bonding. It’s been good to have more friends than just Jay. I’m just trying to take it one day at a time.

 

Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 7/8/2260 21:06:51

 

Subject: Re: Happy anniversary, big brother

A nine day lag time. I’m not even that surprised. And Sulu got the pictures like three days ago without context. He is neither shocked nor surprised that his daughter made a cake angel.

 

No thanks to you because your girlfriend still sent us a dildo. Granted, I’m pretty sure she did it, so we knew that we needed to sue some people, but she still gave us one. There was also chocolate body paint, but still inappropriate. I expect nothing less from Liz.

 

I’m happy that the house is now a museum. It’s probably better for all of us if we leave George Kirk deep in the past. I’m kind of hoping that sobriety work this time. Her working again might be a good step forward.

 

She’s totally going to be teaching classes by the winter semester. You just know it, so be happy you’re not in the engineering track.

 

Yeah, I really don’t need the trust fund with the husband. Also, I managed to win the will their marriage survive another year bet. I think that money is going into the Jo Jo college fund. Maybe we can do something similar with the museum money. It’s something to think about.

 

Work is good, mostly. Diplomatic babysitting as well as prepping for the great crew swap of September. Okay, all of it makes me wish I could drink while working. Last night, one of our diplomats said something about Spock’s mom, not realizing Spock knew the language and I may have had to take him to his ready room to calm down. Twice.

 

We drop everybody off in the morning and you have no idea how happy I am for that. Fingers crossed, that we actually get the star mapping/planet surveying assignment that they promised us next. Yes that’s preferable to the current assignment. Although, knowing our luck, we’re probably going to end up being asked to do resource negotiation or something else. Or worse they could make us take Vista’s place. That ship is supposed to be doing security for the conference that we’re dropping people off at. I kind of want a mission where I don’t have to talk to people outside of my crew for at least a month. I mean we’re supposed to be doing deep exploration.

 

Anyway, I hope your internship gets better and your one-year-old stops diving into large baked goods. But hey, at least you are not dealing with teenagers that make their instructor fill out harassment complaints on a near daily basis and keep breaking into engineering for the booze. Yes, I need that kid off my ship.

 

To be continued

 

 

                                     

Chapter 65: Day 141: New Vulcan Starbucks

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.
Sorry it’s been a little while. I had to deal with some family issues. Things are stable at the moment, so hopefully regular weekly updates will begin again.

Chapter Text

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 7/12/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Still not getting better.

So, you were wrong, and the Hamilton is not getting any more tolerable. It’s like all the people on ship that I liked or at least respected left while I was on maternity leave. I think they’re on Enterprise now, the competent people anyway.

 

Yesterday, I had to fill out sexual harassment paperwork regarding my maternity leave replacement on behalf of someone else. I am trying to decide if that’s better or worse. It really wasn’t fun, regardless. Thankfully, there were video files. It is always easier when there’s video evidence. I’m half tempted to send most of them to mom directly, but that would be unprofessional. So, Starfleet office of civil rights it is.

 

The mission went badly. Like I had to type up letters to the family of two members of the security staff regarding the sacrifice made by their loved one for the good of the Federation badly. I hate those letters. Nothing I write can make things better. I remember mom getting her letter about dad. I think she burned it. She was pissed. I’m hoping the next mission will be better, but it’s more treaty negotiation.

 

Despite how bleak I feel my current situation is, I’m still not going to ask mom for a new assignment. I can get through this. Also, I’m dealing with enough talk about nepotism that I don’t want to pour gasoline on the fire. It’s big enough to consume a ship already.

 

Most of the best Enterprise gossip has already made it here, including the fact your teenage friend is dating a doctor on ship. Probably because the best from the Hamilton are now on your ship, the traitors. Although it was switched to Dr. McCoy and not Perez because rumors are 97% bullshit. Thankfully, I have Gina for the 3% that’s not.

 

She’s already emailed. Overall, she likes the job. She sees real potential in a lot of her kids. However, she wished she could light a candle to get Jeremy out of her classroom. She referred to him as the seed of Satan. She has money on Ashley 2 breaking his hand by the end of the summer semester.

 

Speaking of illegal gambling on a Starfleet vessel, a lot of people lost a lot of money betting on Jim and Spock’s quick divorce. I was not one of them. Because of their stupidity, Desi now has a college fund if she decides not to follow in our footsteps. It was easy money.

 

I’ve known Jim for a long time because Liz and Kevin have been tight since Tarsus. I’m aware that he was never the big man on campus. We tried to hook up once. He drank so much that he threw up on me and then passed out before anything happened. I figured he overindulged, but I didn’t realize he was drinking because of his intimacy issues. Not until much later, anyway. But because I know Jim so well, I managed to get about 15,000 credits. The betting on silly stuff is the only thing that’s really entertaining on the Hamilton now.

 

Thank you for all the videos and pictures. Yes, they do help. I miss our kid. I’m already looking at space station assignments for next time. Especially because mom wants to hire Ben for Yorktown. That would mean the whole family would be on station. It’s a lot easier for Enterprise to go there than Earth.

 

I will try to write again another time. I hope everything’s going well with you. Write when you can. I’m sure with missions, things are probably crazy for you.

Xxx

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Re: Just Checking in

Time arrived: 7/12/2260 00:00:01

It’s understandable that you’re feeling a little depressed this time of year. I am glad that you’re finding better coping mechanisms and you are acknowledging your feelings. That’s a lot of progress for you and I’m proud of that.

 

Hopefully, most of the anniversaries of bad days are done until at least Christmas. Or maybe they will be by the time this letter gets to Enterprise. I’m not sure how long these letters are taking from the colony. Apparently longer than from Earth.

 

I’m thinking about maybe staying here a little longer than the initial mission. They really need people like me here and I don’t think Dr. Weston is going to be able to come back until her nephew gets to junior high at the least. She doesn’t want to uproot him completely just yet. She also wants the colony to be a bit more developed before moving back, which is understandable. We’re just starting to get Starbucks. And you know Starbucks are everywhere throughout the Federation. Good news, I now have somewhere where I can get a chocolate fix. I must show ID, but I get my chocolate fix there. It’s weird living in a place where it is easier to get marijuana than chocolate, but it’s starting to grow on me.

 

The pictures were adorable. I’m glad Desi did not hug you covered in strawberry cake. I got some from Kevin and Winona as well. They all email me occasionally. Your mom mentioned she’s thinking about going back to work as well as selling the farm. I’m glad she’s getting rid of it. A lot of dark stuff happened there to both of you. Maybe now that it’s not in your family’s control, you can both let go.

 

Write me back whenever you have a chance. I love getting updates from you. It gives me something to look forward to in the excruciating Vulcan heat.

 

Also, before I forget, happy anniversary. I shipped some presents, but I don’t have any idea when they’re going to get there. One time it took seven months for me to get a gift from my wife.

Xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Just Checking in

Time sent: 7/12/2260 12:34:01

I’m glad that I wasn’t hugged by a strawberry covered toddler as well. She was cute though.

 

Well, since I can’t have you back on Enterprise even if Spock is now the boss, Vulcan wouldn’t be a horrible place to be. The access to the “headache medication” alone would make it worth it. I love Vulcan “migraine tea”. Also, glad you have chocolate access even though its Starbucks.

 

We may take leave to visit the colony at some point in the future. Spock may get foster siblings soon and we must make sure that the father-in-law’s not screwing them up too badly. He’s getting better, but you never know.

 

Don’t worry about the anniversary present thing. One of the presents Spock ordered me for our anniversary has yet to arrive. They just haven’t been able to catch up with the ship. I’m sure they’ll show up before the September crew switch out. Yes, I’m really looking forward to that, maybe too much. We have a lot of great crewmembers, bless Margarita for keeping this crew mentally healthy, but there are some that are just dreadful.

 

We have one more anniversary of a sad day happening in two days a.k.a. the anniversary of Jo Jo’s mom wrapping her car around a tree. That’s just going to be bad all around for Jo Jo and Bones. Jo Jo feels guilty that not only could she not keep her mom from drinking, but she kept the fact that her mom had a problem a secret. She knew. It’s hard to miss the little bottles of vodka stashed everywhere. I should know.

 

Bones also will be engaging in the self-flagellation. Part of him is convinced that maybe if he hadn’t pushed for custody so much at that time, she wouldn’t have drunk herself into oblivion. He conveniently forgets about all the bottles of hard liquor that we found cleaning out the house and his ex-wife’s asshole father who can probably be blamed for like 90% of her issues. Judge Lee is a legendary prick who could drive anyone to drink or use other substances, as evidenced by his other daughter’s multiple trips to rehab. The drinking was not a new thing for Jo Jo’s mom. Neither were any of her other issues.

 

Guilt is a weird thing at times. I feel guilty for being happy that Winona wasn’t the one who drank herself into oblivion and crashed into a tree. It makes you blame yourself for things that you can’t control. I know better and I still do it. The anniversary of the death of Chris was hard. I’m sure it’s going to be equally hard for Jo Jo in two days. She’s going to be spending a lot of quality time with Margarita. The whole family will be. I made sure of that.

 

Yes, mom did sell the farmhouse and I’m glad it’s gone. Not happy it’s going to become a George Kirk shrine though, but I told mom explicitly that I don’t want it to become a museum to me. At least not until I’m dead and as far as Spock is concerned, that’s not to happen for at least 100 more years. Therefore, he has me eating well and exercising all the time. He wants me to live my best life.

 

I’m starting to put the ghost of Frank behind me. It helps that he’s dead. It also helps that I’ve been spending a lot of time with Ashley 2 and Rebecca. We formed our own little Enterprise survivor’s club. We might expand soon, especially now that I’m starting the Starfleet widow’s club. Special project of Admiral Pike.

 

The fact that I talk about what happened with people other than my husband and my therapist is a marked improvement. I was molested by my stepfather. That doesn’t define who I am. He’s gone. I’m still here. I saved Earth more than once, and he is ashes in the wind.

 

Mom is now working for Starfleet as a contractor at the Academy in the engineering department, but still Starfleet. Yes, I’m shocked. She’s very anti-Starfleet, but maybe she thinks if she trains the next generation of engineers, her babies will be safer. Who knows mom logic? I try not to think about it. I’m just happy she’s still sober.

 

So right now, we’re traveling. We’re going to do a month of uninterrupted deep space exploration. Some of it will be star mapping, but we might get to look at a couple more planets. I’m really looking forward to that after the last mission. Of course, this is only happening if something more urgent doesn’t come up. Knowing our luck, we’re going to get called in for some rescue mission. Fingers crossed.

 

Hey, I must go. I just got a code 12 which either means crewmembers fighting or Jeremy just did something stupid. I’m thinking the latter. Write again soon.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time arrived: 7/12/2260 22:13:01

 

Subject: Re: Still not getting better.

 

All is well, mostly, outside of some lunch time excitement. We just wrapped up a diplomatic ferry mission a couple of days ago. While relatively easy, I admire our Captain’s restraint in not nerve pinching anyone. There are couple of people I want to stab with a rapier However, now we are traveling to an exploratory assignment complete with star mapping and planet surveying for the next month. Which is what we’re supposed to be doing out here in the first place.

 

If you had money on 12:25 PM July 12th, then you can collect. At lunch, Jeremy tried to touch Ashley 2’s ass. You are aware of her history, so obviously that did not go over well at all. A visit to Dr. McCoy was required. Gina may get her wish when Jim is done with him. I think he’s going to try to schedule an emergency session with command once Jim finishes investigating, but for now, Jeremy is confined to quarters with a tracking wristwatch. I’m sure the only reason why Jim didn’t throw him in the brig is he’s under 18.

 

You’re writing those letters? That’s weird, because on Enterprise that’s something the Captain always does personally, whether it be Jim or Spock. The only time it was the first officer who did it was when Jim was captain and in a coma. Then when he woke up, Jim wrote his own version.

 

I worry about your ship. But it’s only supposed to be a year, so I think you’ll make it. You might want to have an exit plan in place. I would love if everybody was in Yorktown though next time around. Especially because I feel like you would be less stressed out there. Also, Ben needs all the support he can get. Has he written to you? Are you aware of how awful his former in-laws have been? They’re just awful. Which is why I doubt they’ll let their only grandchild move halfway across the galaxy to a space station but one can dream.

 

Sometimes the happy thoughts are what keep us going.

To be continued.

Chapter 66: Day 143: Can't Hear You Now

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so wonderful.

 

So today is the one-year anniversary of Josephine losing her mom. This is going to be another one of those days. We begin with a diary entry.

 

Also note to self when changing the name of the character, remember to write it down, especially when you can’t spell very well. I’ve gone back through some of the older chapters and made some corrections, but I probably haven’t caught everything.

Title comes from the song of the same name.

Chapter Text

Excerpts from the therapy Journal of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy

July 14, 2260

 

So today is that day. I’ve been dreading it for weeks. I can’t even look at the Ray  I got at Disneyland last year. I only still have it because mommy Nyota got it out of the trash after my initial tantrum. I cried and broke a lot of stuff. Then I went numb and stayed there for several weeks. I’m not even going to try to address this to the other mom because I’m not ready to write to her on this day. Not yet.

 

I feel like that numbness is back with the guilt. I’m happy here with dad and mommy Nyota. I have friends. Jay and Ashley 2 are firmly in the friend category. Ashley 3 may get there. Ashley 1 is just not antagonistic, but she is on our side in the war against Jeremy. I think Uncle Jim is so ready to get him off the ship after he tried to molest Ashley 2.

 

Ashley responded accordingly by breaking his hand. Dad decided that his wrist can heal the old-fashioned way. He’s still on house arrest while Uncle Jim builds his case. Apparently he’s been inappropriate with the other Ashleys as well.

 

It’s hard not to feel guilty about being happy on Enterprise because if mom didn’t wrap her car around a tree one year ago today I wouldn’t be here. I would still be miserable and in Georgia with her. She wasn’t a good mom. I know that now. Margarita has been helping me work through that. I am now able to acknowledge that there were things going on that were not okay and I was in an abusive environment.

 

That doesn’t make the guilt go away. I didn’t want her to be dead. I just wanted to live with my dad. But I know that woman would not have ever allowed that to happen as long as she was alive. Grandpa Lee had too much control over the Georgia legal system. It was always about winning and appearances with him and his granddaughter going to the guy who got his daughter pregnant before the wedding would just not do. I was just another chess piece to all of them.

 

Sometimes I’m afraid that I’ll end up living with him. Like he’s going to try to fight dad again. Shawn told me that it couldn’t happen, that too many people know what grandpa did because in the end mom made sure that they did. That she was just another victim of him. That realization just makes everything so much more complicated.

 

I guess this is something to talk about with Margarita again. I have a session before class. She’s providing breakfast because that’s the only way I could squeeze a session in before class.

 

It couldn’t happen after class because I have Russian lessons with Pav. Part of me wants to cancel since it’s going to be the first session after our conversation, but I need distractions today and being dreadfully embarrassed seems like a great distraction.

 

So Pav knows about my crush on him and he let me down ridiculously gently. He thinks I’m cool for an almost 12-year-old (because of course like everybody else, he’s not rounding up my birthday). However, he sees me as his little sister. Regardless of that, the age difference between 12 and 19 is a little bit of a felony. I’m well aware of the age difference inappropriateness. My grandfather just married someone closer in age to me then my deceased mother. However, I pointed out the difference between 19 and 26 is not, and he just broke up with somebody who was in her mid-30s.

 

I probably shouldn’t have said that. He’s still not good with the breakup, I think he really had feelings for Perez, but agreed to end things because it was best for Ashley three.

He knows about that crush too. He’s a genius. Of course, he realized what was going on. Ashley 3 was not subtle, but I wonder if she got that I think of you as my little sister’s speech as well. The added kicker was he’s sure he’s going to fill exactly that same way in seven years. I got that speech, and I couldn’t leave the room fast enough. Yet I’m still going to go to Russian tutoring because it’s still better than dealing with thoughts about my dead mom.

 

I have to cut this short. Mommy Nyota is calling. Off to therapy I go. This should be fun. Margarita promised chocolate croissants.

Xxxx

Hey Josephine:

This is Liz and Kevin. Although I’m the one writing, because unlike Kevin, my handwriting is actually legible. All those years of being a waitress, inputting orders written by hand with a stylus has paid off. Also, Desi is being extra active right now and doesn’t want to play on the floor, therefore keeping Kevin’s hands occupied.

 

We thought about making sure you got an email the day of the anniversary, but the Enterprise email system is awful. Instead we gave your first anniversary survival kit to Pav. He promised to give it to you during your Russian lesson the day of.

 

We start with the entire box of good chocolate, individually wrapped so you can share. We also have chocolate covered Oreos, the good ones, not the fudge covered. Moose Munch without the almonds. San Francisco’s best chocolate sampler because you need more chocolate. Flaming hot Cheetos along with regular Cheetos. Also a replicator chip to make you more Cheetos along with some other selections. Take it to Scotty or Jim and they will help you install.

 

Kevin has also included his “music to cry by” playlist. It’s on one of the other data chips. There’s like 800 songs on that thing. Start with post traumatic. I hope you made it to the “Can’t Hear You Now” phase of your grief cycle. There’s also more art supplies. I’m sure you’re going to need it today. Also, Sulu said he could take you to the gym if you really need to kick or punch something. Pav volunteered to be your practice dummy, if necessary.

 

BTW, he kind of knows about the crush. He saw your devastated face at lunch yesterday when he walked in with the girlfriend. I don’t think that relationship is going to last much longer especially because he also realizes that his girlfriend’s niece also has a crush on him and she is ridiculously unhappy about him being with her aunt. Also I just want to say it’s so weird that me and Kevin are older than him. He’s already on a ship and we are still at the Academy. Then again, Kevin and I have buried our families so maybe that really does make us older. It’s a special type of old.

 

I’m sorry that you’re a club member. So here are my annual reminders that Kevin and I tell each other each year:

 

  1. You are not responsible for the death of your loved one, whether directly or indirectly. As much as you want to try to convince yourself. Otherwise you could not have changed the way things went.

 

  1. Don’t play the what-if game. Just don’t because at a certain point, it’s just going to eat you apart from the inside.

 

  1. Live in the now. Enjoy what you have and treasure it.

 

  1. Don’t feel guilty for being happy. Let me repeat that, don’t feel guilty for being happy. Don’t feel guilty because you like living with your father and Nyota mom. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

 

  1. It’s okay to like your life better now than what it was last year. There’s nothing wrong with that.

 

  1. It’s okay to be happy. It’s okay to smile. It’s okay to laugh.

 

  1. It’s also okay not to be happy. You can cry, punch things, or anything else that helps you deal with it. How you feel is up to you. Don’t let anybody else tell you how you’re supposed to feel. Your emotions are valid.

 

  1. There is no time limit on grief. There’s no exact moment in time where you’re going to feel better or that you’ve successfully processed everything. It doesn’t work that way. I wish I could tell you that someday it’s not going to hurt because there are days when I see a daisy on the street and just burst into tears. I broke the PADD during class when we were going over the Tarsus unit. Okay, one of my classmates suggested that Starfleet made the wrong call in rescuing us, and I threw my PADD at him. My mom had to go fix that. The asshole classmate felt horrible afterwards, but it still didn’t make things better.

 

  1. You can forgive the dead. That’s for you to help you move forward.

 

  1. You don’t have to forgive the dead. You can still be angry. It’s better if you process that anger but remember what I said about number 7. They are your feelings. Don’t let anybody else tell you how to feel.

 

  1. You don’t have to go through this alone. You have your dad and your Nyota mom. You also have your Uncle Jim and Spock along with others on ship like Pav who is making sure you get through this. They’ve all dealt with loss even Pav. Someday ask him about his little sister, but, bring tissue.

 

Anyway, it took me and Kevin more than a decade to come up with this list and we’re not always good at following it, but I hope you find it useful. Remember, we’re always here for you.

Xxxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 7/14/2260 21:57:01

Subject: thank you for the survival kit

Hey, I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I did get the survival kit. I didn’t get to break into the food part of it because after Russian practice, I had brownie baking with Ashley 2 and 3, along with Jay. Bonus points for nobody mentioning my biological mom or making inappropriate jokes.

 

Even better, Jeremy wasn’t there. I’m pretty sure his mom will be transferring off ship soon, and he will be going to boarding school. Apparently, Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock have been doing deep space chat with the Admiralty. I’m pretty sure Jeremy will be gone soon. The possibility alone almost makes me happy.

 

I’ll ask Pav about his sister eventually. Congratulations, you did call the end of that relationship correctly. I just am not ready to talk to him about anything outside of Russian lessons for a little bit. He sees me as his little sister and I get that. Way too young, right now. Uncle Jim says I shouldn’t worry about romantic relationships until I hit my mid-20s. He also says that friendship is more important and I think I get that. It feels good having friends or at least starting to build friends.

 

I mean on ship. Both you and Kevin are my friends and I don’t think I would’ve gotten through this year without either of you. Okay and now I’m kind of crying so I’m going to end this email and have a chocolate Oreo. Margarita says not to eat my emotions, but whatever. I have fencing tomorrow. I’m going to pretend the practice dummy is Jeremy.

To be continued

Chapter 67: Day 148: Conversations with Family

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all great and keep me writing.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Nervous and stressed. Also, wishing you were here.
Time arrived: 7/19/2260 00:00:01

I honestly think your letters keep me sane. You keep me tethered. This whole custody process is just horrible. Zach’s sister Zoe thinks that they’re just doing this because they’re mad that I’m moving on. I think they’re doing this because they’re just horrible people and they’re mad. I’m still alive and Zach is dead. I understand. I felt that way a lot, those first few months until I met you.

I have an 8 AM emergency meeting with Shawn tomorrow. Apparently, they found out something interesting during the DNA analysis. I’m a little terrified. Shawn reassured me it was a good thing, but he doesn’t want to tell me over the comm. Therefore, I’m not reassured. Wish me luck. If it goes awful, Liz promised me that she’ll let me get an emergency message through to the Enterprise. Apparently, her mom likes me, and she oversees Starfleet. So, if you’ve already heard from me then things have gone completely awful.
xxxx
From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 07/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Spock, you are way too smart.

Spock, I’m not even surprised that you figured out that I’m doing in vitro. You’re the smart one. I already had the egg retrieval done before Chris died. It’s been something we’ve been planning to do for a long time. With him being named an admiral and me taking a planet side teaching position to be by him, it just seemed like the right time. It’s not like we’re getting any younger and some of our friends were already having grandkids. They were already fertilized by the time Desi arrived in the world. Even Chris going back on Enterprise temporarily, while you guys sued the hell out of Starfleet, wasn’t going to change our plan or schedule. I was supposed to be inseminated on June 14, 2259.

But that was before a supposed 20th-century ghost story shot up Starfleet headquarters. Afterwards, it just didn’t seem right to do it alone, especially in the immediate aftermath. My husband was dead, 30% of San Francisco was in ruins, and our adopted kid was in a coma. It was just not the right time. So, I canceled the appointment, and Spock can tell you I spent a lot of quality time at the hospital.

After the truth about what happened came out and Chen made me an admiral, I got used to my new life being alone. Eventually, I forgot about all our plans to start a family. What was the point with Chris gone? It was just another thing I lost. It would be okay.

But then a couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from the clinic asking me if I wanted to keep the embryos in storage for another year or consider allowing them to be adopted or alternately be destroyed. Option three was not an option at all. I couldn’t deal with the thought of the last part of Chris being destroyed. I also couldn’t handle that part being raised by someone else, a stranger. That’s not what I want.

Then at the spa day, Chen mentioned the job in London, and I thought, ‘hey, maybe I could do this’, but Spock your letter pushed me over the edge. We were going to have a family together. That was his last wish. I still want that even if I’m doing it by myself. Christine still thinks I’m crazy, but she is also going to spend the next year in London, finishing up med school to be with me during the pregnancy.

The implementation is tomorrow. I’m terrified, but I’m going to do this. Because it’s something I need to do. This is me moving forward, instead of just treading water like I’ve been doing for the last year.

Yes, Jim the lawyers are dealing with the non-authorized sex toys and bachelor party Enterprise ships. Would you guys be offended if Starfleet copyrighted your likeness? The lawyers think that it might be the best solution to keep this sort of thing from happening. It’s the trouble with being a public figure and both of you are very public figures. Unfortunately, the people at the red light district believe they can slap your name on a dildo because of that.

So, you should know that Gina messaged Chen directly about Satan the teenager, in addition to her reports to you. (She knows that you’re working on it, but she also understands the politics of the situation.) In addition, to drugging her food on the first day of class and making inappropriate comments of a sexual nature to Gina, he was a little touchy with one of the Ashleys. Not Ashley 2 because then Gina would be reporting an assault, in self-defense, but still assault. So, chances are we’ve already talked because I expect an emergency meeting to happen any day now.

We suspect that Jeremy was purposely put on your ship to torpedo the program, but we are investigating. When we know for sure, we will contact the ship.

Xxxx
From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 7/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for the gifts.

Hey, thanks for writing. I’m glad that you got the necklace making kit and she’s enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the artwork that Admiral Chen’s daughter, Elizabeth dropped by. Josephine is talented. Also, it’s nice to have a family portrait. I’m going to have to make sure that kid stays well-stocked. You should be getting another shipment next time Enterprise stops for supplies. Hopefully it will be before the September shuffle.

The first-year post miscarriage was the worst for me. I think that was because everything is still fresh in your mind. There is a lot of everything to process still. The pain doesn’t last, at least not at the same levels, but it’s still there in some ways. I think you learn how to deal with it. Some of the books say that you were the ones that helped me learn how to deal, but it took time and I still made a lot of mistakes. Most revolve around sending you to boarding school without at least consulting you.

I’m glad that you like the present. I had no idea what to get. Chen’s daughter suggested art supplies, because apparently, she’s friends with Josephine. I thought the jewelry making kit would be practical and a safe way to spend some time. I had even less of an idea for what to get for you. I’m glad that you found the books useful even if you read some of them before.

I hope you got through the day as well as you could and just remember the one who hurt you is going to be in jail for a long time. I will personally make sure of that.

We all want the minors on Enterprise program to work and eventually be expanded to other ships. Well, most of us do. The ones who don’t were apparently responsible for Jeremy ending up on your ship. The Ashleys were placed on board as well to be destructive, but Jim Kirk is apparently a teenage whisperer.

It turns out maybe we haven’t cleaned house as much as we thought. There’s still some of the Marcus contingent in the ranks that managed to slip by the first purge. There’s going to be a meeting tomorrow.

Rest assured, neither one kid nor disgruntled admiral with HR connections is going to torpedo the whole program. Not if I can help it. This is too important for Starfleet’s future. More important it’s crucial for you. I want you to not have to choose between your child and your career. I know that you’ll make better choices than I did, but I still don’t want you to have to make those choices.

Does Josephine like it on board? Are things still going good with her teacher? I heard you got a new one. Chen chose her personally. How are the non-Jeremy students doing? How’s your work life balance? Yes, I’m still sorry that I never had that. I’m hoping for better for you.

Xxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny;
To: Number_one_Pike
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sent: 07/19/2260 06:51:01
Subject: Spock, you are way too smart.
Okay I’m doing the math in my head and I’m pretty sure you were already inseminated by the time we had our emergency conference last week. You totally could have said something. I’m also mad at Spock bear for keeping his suspicions to himself.

Congratulations. You are going to be a wonderful mom. I kind of already consider you the good one. You kept me from going totally off the rails at the Academy. I have faith that the insemination is going to work and in nine months, you will have a brand-new baby to smother in affection. Spock and I talked and I’m going to take a three-month sabbatical to London when the baby is born. Although it might be me taking lots of classes at the London campus. I still have some of my master work to do. We’ll have to work out the specifics with Chen and Rodriguez. If I knew this was happening, we could have talked during the state of the Jeremy meeting.

I’m not surprised at all that the devil child was purposely put on the ship to wreck the program. Not one bit. Although the deleting of his juvenile record was a nice touch. I mean we all know I have one, but I never burned down my house, especially intentionally, with people still inside. Also, never executed the neighbor’s pets. You are aware of reports of sexually harassing classmates as well as running off the last teacher. I am glad Ashley 2 broke his hand. It gave me a reason to put him on “house arrest” which has made the ships so much more pleasant.

I’m glad the mom took the settlement. I can understand why she went along with the plan because what mom wouldn’t want to get rid of her son’s juvenile record so he can have a second chance. People still look at me with disgust for mine. Although again, most of my behavior was caused by suicidal tendencies triggered by the stepdad. I think maybe the difference is I wanted that second chance to prove myself and I don’t think Jeremy does.

Although I feel very sad for whoever must deal with him at 20th century style military school. I just hope there’s a good therapist on staff. Sometimes I think I could’ve ended up like Jeremy, if not for Dr. Suarez. Or, you know, a misogynistic prick who refuses to acknowledge that he's completely in love with his first officer due to severe internalized homophobia. Yes, I realize that’s awfully specific.

The hubby is sitting next to me and we decided that the best thing to do regarding the sex toys is to consult with our own lawyer. Hubby doesn’t want to license our likeness to Starfleet because, well, one of your colleagues put Satan the teenager on our ship to wreck the minors on Enterprise program and that’s just what they’ve done in the last year. We trust you and Chen, maybe even Rodriguez a little bit, but most of your colleagues, not so much, especially because of Jeremy as well as you know what happened last year.

Unfortunately, I can’t get them off my ship until our next Star base visit which will coincide with the September reassignment season. I’ll be counting down the moments. He’s just going to have to stay on house arrest until then.

Anyway, write back. Let us know how your journey into motherhood is going. I’m serious about coming to London for three months when the baby’s about to be born. Part of the reason why Spock and I switched roles is so I could leave if my mom needed me. You’re my mom too. Also, Winona seems to be in a good place. I’m sure you’re aware she’s at the Academy as a consultant. So, it looks like I can use my leave for you.

Anyway, I must go. Meeting with command, probably sending us new orders. I just have this feeling that our exploratory mission is going to get put on hold for a little bit.
Xxx
From: NyotaUM
To: MomOU
Time sent: 7/19/2260 12:45:21
Subject: Re: Thank you for the gifts.
Apparently your meeting worked well since Jeremy will be off the ship by September. I wish it was immediately, but we just received orders to investigate something strange on the Devon colony. We are on our way now. Although maybe that mission means that we can hit the Star base immediately after instead of waiting until September like originally planned. Fingers crossed.

Josephine is doing well all things considered. Last week was the one-year anniversary of her mom’s car accident. I was expecting the day to be awful for Josephine, but the Ashleys and Jay really stepped up and made the day good for her. Also, Chen’s daughter arranged for Chekov to give her a ‘how to deal with the death of a parent’ survival kit. If anybody knows how to deal with that sort of thing, it’s Liz and her boyfriend Kevin.

Okay, maybe I stole an Oreo from the supply kit. I deserved it. There were also brownies. I needed chocolate.

My difficult day went okay. Well, as okay as it could go. There’s still this part of me that blames myself for losing the baby. I probably wouldn’t have volunteered for a mission on the Klingon home world if I knew. Of course, I won’t bring that up around Jim because of his guilt complex. But I’m working through it.

Now that I have Josephine, I understand a lot more about the decisions you made back then. I don’t think I would’ve made those decisions myself, but I do understand why you made those decisions.

Anyway, it will probably be a while before I write again. We’re going to have a near communications blackout while in Devon.

Xx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Re: Nervous and stressed. Also, wishing you were here.
Time sent: 7/19/2260 22:12:01
Okay, I haven’t got an emergency message from you so that means everything went well with Shawn. At least I’m going to interpret it that way. It’s important to be positive in situations like these. I think Zach’s parents are just grieving, and they can’t get past the angry stage. They probably need a good therapist.

Apparently, it’s easier for them to focus that anger on you and not the Romulan that murdered their son in the first place. I wonder if they even know about that. You know because you were given the real briefing after we started dating. Starfleet tends to leave families in the dark sometimes. Jim didn’t even know what really happened to his brother until he had a security clearance or so. He’s told me.

I’ll try to write more often, even if I haven’t heard back from you. We’re heading to Devon where the satellite capabilities are down due to interference. Which means I probably won’t hear from you again until our mission there is over.

But I have hope that all will go well. You’ll see.

Chapter 68: Day 157: What went down in Devon

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. We had a bit of a time jump because Devon has been chaos. Also, I’m working off of the assumption that the Romulan ship landed in a slightly different dimension and then completely torpedoed the timeline. So some events from the original timeline might be blatantly different because parallel dimension or may have been years earlier like baby D being born. This will come in to play for this chapter.

Chapter Text

From: Legal Queen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: I got your artwork.
Time arrived: 7/28/2260 00:00:01

Hey, this is your aunt. Brand-new email address because I needed a change. I’m probably not going to be in Atlanta much longer. I’m moving on and that means leaving the old behind in all its forms.

I got your paintings. They are really good. You are very talented. I’m going to have to make sure you get more art supplies for your b-day. It may be a little late, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I ran into a few more of your ex friends recently and you’re probably better off making new ones. The Ashleys seem interesting, from what I’ve heard from you and others. I’m glad things are less antagonistic now. Maybe you all just needed time to adjust. My best friend was like my arch nemesis for the first two years of high school, but then we bonded over asshole fathers and we have been inseparable ever since. He let me cry all over him last year at the you know what before we went to hide in the ball pit next-door.

Yes, your grandfather’s dating habits are creepy, but so is he. I felt that way before the new wives were younger than me. Let us hope he passes away before they are younger than you. You’re right. I need to get out of here. I have for a long time. Especially because daddy dearest got me fired from my firm. I really liked that job. Like I said earlier, it’s time for me to leave Atlanta behind. Thanks to your dad, I am licensed to practice in California and several other territories throughout the Federation.

I am not even surprised Judge Lee got me fired. Even though the custody trial was a large fall from grace for him, he still has connections in the Georgia legal scene and he obviously wants me at the family firm.

Did your dad ever tell you what happened to him post-divorce? You know he didn’t really want to join Starfleet or leave you behind on Earth, but it was only place that would take him after your grandfather blackballed him from most medical institutions. He still had child support to pay. Although it wasn’t all your grandfather’s doing. They say you shouldn’t talk badly of the dead, but let us not pretend that my sister is something that she’s not. We know better.

Don’t worry about me. I have a few job interviews far away from Georgia in the next couple weeks, including with the Matthews firm. That’s tomorrow, actually. So that means I’ll be several thousand miles away on the one year anniversary of the tree incident. I think they’re dealing with the custody case of your special baby friend. So fingers crossed I find a new job and end up several thousand miles away from your grandfather permanently.

I’m glad you’re working on getting over your anger at me. I’m currently trying to get over my anger at myself, but it’s hard. So many things are obvious in hindsight that I didn’t see or maybe that I thought were normal. Grandpa really fucked up my mind. I should probably censor what I’m writing to you, but well, you’ve seen enough where curse words really aren’t that that awful in comparison.
Xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: Re: I got your artwork.
Time sent: 7/28/2260 12:16:01
Apparently, it took nearly 2 weeks for this letter to get here. I am not completely surprised. We are currently orbiting the Devon research colony. Mom says that communication abilities here are not that good. Also something obviously bad is going on because dad hasn’t been back to the room for 24 hours. Not a good sign.

I know what grandpa did. Google’s been around for over two centuries. It’s quite useful. I can’t believe she claimed that dad hit me. Probably best that I didn’t read that until after she died. This is why I had so many conflicting feelings on the anniversary.

It went okay, but I think it was easier being here with dad, other mom, and my friends. We made brownies. I also had Russian lessons. Never have a crush on your Russian tutor, especially when he sees you as his favorite little sister. Although I’m a little more okay with that, now that I know what happened. She died the year before he came to the Academy. Actually, her death was why he came to the Academy right before he turned 14. He didn’t want to stick around to see his parents’ marriage fall apart first hand. Seeing it all come undone at five was hard enough. I think at 14, it would be so much worse.

I’m glad you had a job interview. I think San Francisco would be good. Anywhere, but Atlanta really. Isn’t your BFF actually close to there in Oakland? You stayed there when you came to visit.

I don’t care about my old friends there anymore. The fact that they haven’t written to me once in the almost 6 months that I’ve been on ship shows me that. I have new friends, better ones that were there for me on the anniversary of the tree incident. I’m glad all the anniversary bad days are over for right now. The next thing of importance is my birthday in August. Fingers crossed, that’s the day Jeremy’s leaving the ship. That’s all I really want.

I’ll try to write again soon. Although, keep me posted on the job search. I’m sure you’ll find something great and far away from grandpa.

Xxxxx From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Today was a bad work day
Time sent: 7/29/2260 22:12:01

It looks like I’m keeping my promise of writing you more even without a reply. It’s possible my last message hasn’t even got to Earth yet. We are just starting to get civilian emails again after nearly a week. Communications abilities are low because of our current Devon assignment, so Starfleet communications took precedence.

Devon was kind of a disaster and therefore I need to talk to you, especially after the last letter that I just wrote to my brother-in-law. Technically, Spock should have wrote to inform him that the biological mother of his two children, Alicia died on Devon but I felt like it should come from me. Family, by marriage is still family. That’s my responsibility.

I can’t give you details on what happened. I’m pretty sure everything is going to go into the highly classified file of Enterprise shenanigans. Especially because of Jim and Spock’s idea to take care of the situation. It was brilliant, but weird.

I never liked Alicia because my nieces are adorable and how could you possibly just abandon one of them at the hospital. But well dying Alicia did help us come up with a solution along with some old friend of Jim’s named Aurelian. She didn’t make it either, unfortunately.

Even though she abandoned her daughter in the hospital, I didn’t exactly wish for her to die. I don’t think Jie even wants her dead, especially because her leaving led to meeting my sister. She was his baby shower planner. It’s a long story. Someday when I’m not exhausted. I’ll tell you everything.

So after writing that piece of bad news, I kind of just need to talk to you. I wish I could call you just to hear your voice, but not possible. Jim is in the middle of an emergency conference with command. I may have watched a few video files from June.

I hope I get a letter from you soon. I really want to know how your visit with Shawn went. Although the fact I haven’t got an emergency message from you. I hope still points to good things. I understand why it’s taken a while. One, we are very far out from Earth. The only thing that’s getting to Earth quickly are what is referred to as trans-warp messages. That can only be used in emergency situations like getting Jeremy off the ship after he tried to harass Ashley 2 or dealing with the Devon fallout.

There is a lot of fallout. Currently we have 10 recently orphaned children in Enterprise medical being treated. I think they’ll make it. However, they can’t return to the colony alone, which means going into the system. For those who don’t have family somewhere else anyway. Regardless, this means we’ll be heading to a Star base sooner rather than later.

Silver lining, this means I might be able to call you. Other silver lining, Jeremy will be getting off the ship so much quicker.

Although it almost seems cruel to ship kids who just lost their parents off to Earth or who knows where else by themselves. One of the recently orphaned kids is the son of Jim’s friend Aurelian. Apparently, she dated Jim’s brother before he died on Tarsus. He kind of looks like a mini Jim actually. Jim is really apprehensive about sending him to Aurelian’s parents because, as Jim put it, they are abusive and horrible. I kind of caught him crying in the bathroom earlier. He’s not okay. None of us really are.

Anyway, love you. Give all the babies an extra hug for me tonight.

PS: Next time you see my sister and brother-in-law, can you be extra wonderful to them. I feel like this is going to be hard on both of them.

Chapter 69: Day 158: Crossroads

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. This is going to be another one of those letters. Prepare the tissues.

Chapter Text

Dear Sam:
Sorry it’s been a long time without writing. I don't even remember the last time. Life has gotten busy. I’m not even joking about that; almost got kicked out of Starfleet, Vulcan got destroyed, Earth didn’t get destroyed twice, I became a Starfleet Captain, and stopped being a Starfleet Captain. Okay, I kind of almost died and after that, I decided that maybe I needed to take a step back. Mom also fell off the wagon spectacularly. Sometime during all of this, I managed to get married.

The Frank fuck up did not completely turn me off the institution. It’s a miracle. We worked together. I am my husband’s first officer. Although, it was the other way around, originally. Technically, I’m still a captain, but that is really just a technicality. I’m okay with that. It means I get to be more hands-on with missions.

The last one was intense. Like lots of dead bodies. I ran into your ex-girlfriend Aurelian. You remember breaking up with her right before leaving for Tarsus because neither one of you felt you could do a long-distance relationship. Do you remember having breakup sex though? Now about 40 weeks after that, Aurelian gave birth to a beautiful baby boy named Peter, who according to my husband looks like my mini me.

Bones theorized that all the vaccinations that you took to get you ready for Tarsus most likely deactivated your contraceptive hypo and well you ended up with a Peter. Or rather Aurelian did, but he’s kind of adorable in a “the world is awful” preteen sort of way. Preteens are special especially when they’ve had to deal with this much shit.

I don’t know if you ever knew about Peter. First, messages to Tarsus weren’t getting there very quickly even before things fell apart and it was worse afterwards because the evil one was trying to not publicize the colony’s failure. Apparently, that’s part of the reason why message technology has advanced so much in the decade plus since the incident. So, chances are you never got an email from her.

Two, Aurelian’s no longer around for me to ask. She died in my arms, three days ago. We’re referring to it as an evil alien parasite attack. Good news, they hate light and we fry them via satellite. Too late for Aurelian and Alicia the biological mother of the Sulu - Kim munchkins. Nothing like writing condolence letters to people you know. Mrs. Sulu-Kim helped plan my wedding. I felt bad for the Sulu-Kim kids because the oldest is not even eight yet and the youngest won’t be five for a little bit. It’s all awful.

I also feel bad for Peter and that was before I realized he was my nephew. I remember how bad Aurelian’s parents were. I survived Frank. I know abuse when I see it. I may have been at smart kid boarding school most of the time, but I remember the bruises. I didn’t want to send any kid to that and neither did Aurelian. Her will explicitly states that Peter was not to go anywhere near her parents. He was supposed to go to her friend Dimitri, who also died during the evil alien parasite fiasco.

Then Bones did a DNA test at Spock’s insistence, because Peter looks like my mini me. And it turns out Peter is a Kirk.

So now we have better options than violating the last request of a dead woman. Yes, Winona is a recovering alcoholic, but still better than Aurelian’s parents. She never hit us. She married someone who hit us, but I feel like she knows better now. Also, the current rehab stint has been doing pretty well and she will hit the one year sober mark next month. There was a relapse early on this cycle, but she’s doing well since. She even survived the Tarsus anniversaries without picking up a drink.

I don’t know if finding out about Peter will send her off the deep end, but I have faith that it won’t. She is still on track to transition out of the sober living facility by the end of the year and into her new house that she can buy with all the money she got from selling the farm. The house of evil is now going to become a museum for dad.

Should she raise another kid? Maybe not, but I feel like she would do a lot less damage than Aurelian’s family. Remember, I saw the bruises on both Aurelian and her sister. Also, Kevin and I are well-adjusted.

Option two is Kevin. Kevin’s a registered foster parent even though he is barely 20, because his girlfriend has custody of her sister’s daughter while she is on a one year mission. Did I mention Kevin finally got together with Liz? They’re all now domestic with a one-year-old. I’m pretty sure that the wedding will be right after Kevin graduates. It would be sooner, but Admiral Chan would probably resort to violence if they thought about eloping.

Neither Kevin or Liz would be alive right now without you. I think both of them would jump at the chance to raise your son. I’m sure they feel like they would owe you. Kevin took the Kirk last name because of you to honor you and your sacrifice. They’re getting plenty of parenting practice right now. Could they take on another kid? Yes. Should they? I don’t know, but Kevin and Liz will probably do it anyway. Again, better than Aurelian’s family.

However, there is also a third option. My husband and myself. So there’s a pilot program to allow kids to live on starships. It’s a small program right now, but a space recently freed up in the pilot because one of the participants didn’t actually meet the qualifications for the program. We will be dropping him off at a Star base in about four days with the other children returning to family members on earth. You saved Liz’s life, so I am positive her mom would be willing to put Peter in the program, even if he’s a little young. Especially, because it would keep Liz from serving as mom to two children.

There are lots of advantages for Peter staying on ship. It would definitely be less of a transition for him. He’s been on the research colony since he was a year and a half old. Starship life is a lot closer to research colony life then going back planet side. Liz had an awful transition, Kevin as well and I don’t think it was all Tarsus related.

Peter is also about the same age as Dr. McCoy and Nyota’s daughter Jo Jo. They’ve been bonding over mutual trauma. Jo Jo lost her mom a little more than a year ago. Drunk driving accident. I wonder if I told you about that. It really has been way too long.

Spock is all in on this possibility. He’s the one who suggested it to me. I’m not against it because Aurelian’s parents must be avoided at all costs. All costs. And I like Peter. He’s smart and sweet, even if he is kind of on the verge of crying right now. Plus I have a lot of experience, apparently, with emotionally damaged young people. I raised Kevin and he is quite well-adjusted. It’s a miracle anyway.

Margarita thinks we should let Peter decide and then get the lawyers to back it up. I feel like our stay at Star base 42 is mostly going to be conference calls with lawyers. Lots of conference calls with lawyers and the family. So, do I talk to the lawyers first or mom and Kevin? I’m trying to figure that out.

I’m not mad at you for creating another George Kirk situation. Okay, I’m a little mad, but you probably didn’t know. And even if you did, well, Tarsus was so fucked up. I probably should have another session with Margarita and maybe email Suarez, but not tonight. I have so many issues, but I’m working through it.
Xxxx

“I think we should discuss the situation with your mother, Nih, and Kevin before we present Peter with his options.” Spock said as he placed the journal back down on the table. Of course, Jim had Spock read the letter. It’s how they work through things.

“That’s probably best. It wouldn’t even be a bad idea if we also included mommy Chan and I mean mommy Chan. She can put her Admiral Hat on later, but I feel like this is a family situation.” Jim suggested to his husband.

“I agree.” Spock placed a gentle kiss on his lips. “I will asked Nyota to arrange a group chat tomorrow in near real time. Although, video chat would be preferred, it is not feasible at this time.”

“Which means at least a minute lag between messages. Which I think will be best. How do you think Winona is going to react to Sam having a kid? Even I threw up after the news.”

“I am uncertain of how she would react. Are you afraid that she will utilize alcohol again as a coping mechanism?” Spock asked, wrapping an arm around him.

“It is her favorite coping mechanism. She gets clean and she relapses. It’s a vicious cycle. I think she’s doing better this time around, but could this send her over the edge? I don’t know. That worries me.”

“It is not feasible to predict the future, but it seems that she is responding well to treatment right now.” Spock placed a reassuring kiss on Jim’s forehead.

“Better than before, but this is… Sam had a fucking kid and we didn’t know. I don’t even…” Spock just pulls Jim closer to him as he starts to cry. “I just realized that if we didn’t get called here for this parasite thing, we would’ve never known. I don’t even know if Aurelian would’ve told me the truth, if she made it.”

“I am inclined to believe that she would. Maybe she was trying to when she made you promise to take care of Peter.” Spock suggested

“The actual deathbed requests.” Jim sighed.

“Are we ready to be parents? This is full-blown parenthood. This isn’t babysitting or donation to the Vulcan sperm bank.”

“That you enjoyed assisting with.” Spock remarked.

“But this is so much more and so permanent. I didn’t exactly have the best father figures growing up.”

“Although it does appear that they improved with adulthood.”
“Yes. And some pretty good mother figures as well.” Jim remarked.

“You also raised Kevin.” Spock added.

“Of course, you bring that up now.” Jim groaned.

“I am merely pointing out that dealing with traumatized youth is your specialty. And you have succeeded greatly.”

“What about Jeremy?”

“Dr. Suarez taught me that you cannot save everyone.”

“Unfortunately. So are you really willing to help me raise Peter on ship? Think of the logistics.”

“Engineering will begin working on turning Lieutenant Sulu’s current room into a room for Peter, if Peter agrees to live with us. Lieutenant Sulu will move to Dr. McCoy’s previous room before he moved to family quarters.”

“Okay, you are always one step ahead. So family group chat, then talk with Peter. Actually maybe we could move into our Suite. In the meantime? He could totally sleep on the couch right? I don’t like the thought of him being all alone in the guest quarters with the other kids.”

“Which is why you replicated Teddy bears for all of them. I believe we could put a temporary bed in the meditation area for Peter.”

“This is why you’re perfect.” Jim smiled at his husband.
To be continued

Chapter 70: Day 159: Kirk-Chen-Pike-Sulu-Kim family drama

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all wonderful. It is family group chat time and this is going to be crazy. Because of how far out the Enterprise is, there are a limited amount of lines. So groups of people will be sharing the same designation. Things will be clarified in the messages themselves.

Chapter Text

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Hey, this is Jim and Spock here. This is Jim typing or dictating, rather. You’ll know that Spock has taken over when the contractions disappear.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I do use contractions on occasion.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: I don’t think we will have any difficulties telling you to apart when typing. This is Liz typing. Mostly because Kevin is kind of trying to get Desi to eat breakfast. Cheerios are everywhere. I don’t even want to talk about what happened to the banana.

 

W Kirk: Jim was the same way. I didn’t even know it was possible to get smashed banana on the ceiling. Jimmy was always an over achiever.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Sue as well. I have pictures I’ll send you later. However, as adorable as this is, we should probably find out why this near live chat is happening.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: That must be our fearless leader Admiral Chen. Thank you so much for getting Jeremy off my ship. If it was allowed, champagne would be popped.  

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Instead botany will be harvested as soon as possible. I’m sure you’re looking forward to your bumper crop of herbal Vulcan headache medication.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: That would be Nhi.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Get on with it, Jim. Some of us have to chair meetings in like 30 minutes.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I have been debating whether I should take the band-aid approach or gradually go into this. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to do gradual in this case and apparently everyone else has places to go and I would like to get to sleep, so band-aid approach, it is. A couple of days ago during a mission I ran into Sam’s ex-girlfriend Aurelian and her son Peter, who was born about 40 weeks after Winona and Sam left for Tarsus hell.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: What? Shit! History repeats.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Aurelian was on Devon?

 

W Kirk: How? I put all of you on contraceptive hypos early.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Not that Jim needs it.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Now I know that is Kevin because Liz knows better. This is not the time for infertility jokes. Although, congratulations mom on actually getting biological grandkids. No one thought it was going to happen because we all know my sperm got fried during the Vengeance fiasco.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: I meant you wouldn’t need it because you kind of have a husband. I know you’re still upset about the fertility thing.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: I’m sorry my boyfriend is an insensitive idiot.

 

W Kirk: Are you sure the child is Sam’s?

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Bones is 100% sure I am the uncle. Unless you had a secret biological child I don’t know about, Peter is definitely Sam’s kid.

 

W Kirk: Why didn’t she tell us about Peter? I know correspondence to Tarsus was just awful, especially once the crops failed, but she could’ve told us this when we got back. I called her personally to tell her that Sam died and she never said a word.  

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: She probably wasn’t mentally able to. Ming and I agree she was probably too shocked by finding out that Sam was gone to say anything. I know you had your number changed after you got back because the media was just awful, so she probably wasn’t able to try again once the shock wore off.

 

W Kirk: And yet until about this time last year, I was still living at the farm house. She could have told me any time during the last decade plus. I want to talk to her right now.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: That’s not possible because she’s dead. Yes, she was on Devon and one of the casualties, but she did help us keep it from being worse.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Chen, how much can I say about what happened on the last mission?

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Everybody here, including your mom, has at least a secret clearance, so keep your briefing at that level.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Yes, Admiral. A few days ago, a distress call was received from the Devon research colony. We arrived there to find out everybody was being attacked by what I will refer to as the killer parasites from outer space. They’ve been slowly spreading from planet to planet in that area and because of nebulizers and communication difficulties, nobody knew about this swath of destruction.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Good news, we stopped the infestation and saved what remains of the colony. Sad news, a lot of people died before we could fix the situation, including Aurelian and the biological mom of Sulu’s nieces, Alicia.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: That is so awful.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Very awful. Sulu actually wrote a personalized letter to his brother-in-law. Liz, I know you’re in contact with the Sulu siblings. Do you know if they received the letters?

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Probably not. I think I would’ve been called in to provide advice on losing a parent like that, as well as how the break the news. Mom can give me a readout and I’ll try to deliver the letters myself. I can do a more personal touch.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: The letters arrived to HQ, but we haven’t dispatched an officer to deliver them in person. Many of the scientists who did die were on a detail from Starfleet. But if Liz is willing, then I’m okay with her taking over this duty. It’s better coming from someone you know.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: I am willing to do it, but in civilian attire. I want us to be there as family and not as Starfleet representatives.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Good call. Also maybe bring some chocolate and teddy bears. Or maybe some alcohol and or Vulcan headache medication in brownie form. Just be gentle.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: We will. Kevin will be coming with me.

 

W Kirk: Did Peter survive?

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Yes. Peter is currently sleeping on a temporary bed in Spock’s meditation corner. This is totally why we’re dictating from Spock’s office instead of our quarters right now even though it’s after hours and we’re supposed to be off duty outside of a catastrophe. He’s as good as can be expected right now under the circumstances. Peter has been spending most of his days with Jo Jo who is trying to acclimate him to ship life.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: OK, she’s trying to give him some sort of routine, so he doesn’t think about his mom dying in front of him since that’s going to cause some issues. So many issues. But hey at least this must be better than Aurelian’s parents. Her will, explicitly stated that Peter is not to go to them.

 

W Kirk: That’s understandable considering they murdered her sister.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: What?

 

W Kirk: A couple years ago, her father killed Aurelian’s younger sister and her mother covered it up, but not well. He got a life sentence and she received 20 years. It was the scandal of Riverside.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Why am I just finding out about it now?

 

W Kirk: We were only talking about Kevin at that point. Also, it was all over the media.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Point. And I was kind of trying to get through four years at the Academy in three so I didn’t exactly have free time to read the net. But that’s neither here nor there. However, due to that very unfortunate family situation, our choices are one of us taking custody of Peter or Federation child services stepping in. I don’t want Federation child services to be involved right now.  

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Of course not. I assume, you want Peter to take Jeremy’s old spot in the pilot program?

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Yes, if possible. I know he’s younger than the normal age, but his dad is dead, his mom is dead, his aunt is dead, and apparently his maternal grandparents killed her. Wait, why did they kill her?

 

W Kirk: Having a girlfriend. They were also charged with a hate crime.

 

W Kirk: I would also like to add that Jim probably should get special permission to have Peter on board because Peter’s other grandma is an alcoholic with severe PTSD, and a host of other mental issues. Also, her PTSD happened because of a very classified Starfleet fuck up and they owe her big time. Making sure her grandchild grows up in a stable environment is the least of what they owe her.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I hate that I’m right about this. I always knew they were evil.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: At least I now understand why you wanted me here. It’s a possibility, but you’re going to be the first command team with family on board. That’s going to be difficult to sell to some of the others. However, me and Pike are on board with this possibility. Besides, I think this is another thing we need to look at during the pilot program.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Thank you. Didn’t you take care of Liz the entire trip back to Earth after Tarsus hell? We’re already taken care of like 1000 kids, what’s one more?

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Yes, but one more dealing with a ton of trauma?

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: That’s what we have Margarita and Gina for. Also, still better than Jeremy.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: I’ll talk to Rodriguez, who is in charge of the program and give my recommendation. Hopefully she will agree, but it’s going to be her call.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Thank you for that. I hope she says yes because I want to at least present Peter with more than one choice. If worse comes to worse, I was going to call the father-in-law. He is a registered foster parent. I think he’s gained a few Vulcan kids, but it wouldn’t hurt.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: You should probably talk to your father-in-law anyway. Especially because you don’t know that he is fostering a young Vulcan Romulan girl, Saavik.    

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I am totally not surprised that my father-in-law gets the biracial child. Yes, we will talk to him next to see if he’s willing to be an option. Actually we are close enough for a voice chat. What about everyone else?

 

W Kirk: As I pointed out earlier, I’m definitely not qualified. I would love to meet my grandkid and I will shower him with presents, but I am a mess. Less of a mess than I was last year, but not as healthy as I should be. I’m barely taking care of myself, I can’t add another person right now. Honestly, I don’t even know sometimes how Kevin came out so well-adjusted. I am pretty sure it was your fault, Jimmy.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: That’s the other reason why I am willing to support Jim and Spock raising Peter on ship. After what happened on Tarsus, it is a small miracle that Kevin came out so well-adjusted and I know, Jim, you were the reason for that.     

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: In the event that it’s decided Peter can’t stay on ship I will make sure there is a place for Peter on Earth even if it’s my own apartment. 

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: OK that was probably Pike.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Sorry that would be Chen. Although, Pike would be up for it as well if necessary. She also says that if you are going to be raising Peter on board, then you’re definitely not coming to London for three months when she gives birth. Honestly, I’d rather keep my best command team together. Once you drop off the kids, there will be several exploratory missions waiting for Enterprise, which is what you’re supposed to be doing.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Kevin and I are also willing to try for a teenager this time. I’m sure he won’t try to throw Cheerios down my bra.   

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: If he did, it would be a whole different set of issues.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: OK this is good. This gives Peter options. Chan and Pike can work on the things from the Starfleet perspective. Spock and I will call the father-in-law and see if he’s willing to be another option. That will give Spock a chance to meet his new foster sister as soon as it’s an appropriate time to call New Vulcan.

 

Starfleet HQ “Nhi” Pike & N. Chen: Agreed. OK if everybody has their assignments, I have a meeting to get to. I will work on getting Peter Kirk in the minors on Enterprise pilot program and will try to let you know something before you leave the Star base.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I’m not sure he’s going to want to use the Kirk last name but put that down for now at least. Thank you.

 

W Kirk: I expect pictures. Maybe even video files. I’d love to do a live chat if you can pull it off the next time, you’re in range.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Video files can be pulled off. Maybe a video chat can happen when we’re at a Star base, but at the very least Nhi is going to have to pull that off.        

 

W Kirk: I have known her since her last name was Una. She will say yes.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: So that’s what her maiden name was and I can totally see why she decided to go with Pike after the marriage. I mean if my husband came from a culture where they did last names, I probably would’ve taken his due to the Kirk baggage. OK, maybe Peter should keep his current last name.

 

  1. Kirk: I’m going to let you work that out on your end. I’ll talk to you later sweetie. I need to leave for campus in the next 15 minutes.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Bye mom. I’ll try to write you in a few days and send you the pictures. Lots of pictures.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: OK they have disconnected so we can talk. Kevin is making sure this is not on the record. Could one of you please call Sulu. There’s some things I need to pass on from the boyfriend.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: We just called for him. He will be here in five. Actually, if you could make sure none of it is on the record that would be lovely. I would prefer people not know that I am taking advantage of my brother dating the head of Starfleet’s Daughter.  

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Oh you’re not taking advantage of that. You’re taking advantage of the fact that you’re going to get custody of a kid whose father died due to Starfleet incompetence and you know the Federation put the asshole in charge of Tarsus. A megalomaniac genocidal asshole. The organization as a whole owes you a lot. They owe the memory of Sam, a lot.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: OK, so Starfleet owes Sam a lot apparently.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: So much. I wouldn’t be alive without him so Mom owes him a lot as well. Making sure his kid is taken care of would be part of that. So this is not about you, it’s about Sam.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Well that makes me feel slightly better. Not that the nepotism comments aren’t going to happen anyway. You know, apparently, I only became a captain because of my blow job skills.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Assholes. Unfortunately, those nepotism comments are always going to come out no matter what. Susan gets it all the time and she goes by her dad‘s last name. And well, even I’ve heard the blowjob remark once or twice a semester.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Your sister works with idiots. Also, even I get the blowjob comments, especially being gay. This is Sulu typing now. I assume that you want to give me an update on Ben’s custody situation with his ex-in-laws? 

           

Team Liz/Kevin: After months of repeatedly saying that a gay single parent can’t raise a little girl and making Ben feel awful at every turn, the Johnsons drop the case. They don’t even want visitation anymore.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: What? Why?

 

Team Liz/Kevin: You’re going to have to talk to Ben. It’s complicated and honestly, Shawn is expecting additional litigation from the Johnson family, but they don’t want K anymore. They’re just awful people. I don’t even know why Ben keeps that last name.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I’m not even surprised. They’ve been awful for a while. It’s because he doesn’t want to lose that part of his husband and his pre-married name was worse. Let Ben know that he has my support in any way that he needs.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: You can do it in person. I am going to set up one of these near live text sessions for tomorrow 600 hour ship time. Really you have to hear everything from him. This is pure soap opera stuff.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Which will just be later today for you guys. But thank you for doing this.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Because he needs it. He wrote you about it already, but I heard you guys just got out of a blackout zone.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Yes, and Spock is telling me that we’re going to have to cut this short, but I’d love to get an update on my sister and the baby before ending our chat.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Baby D is covered in Cheerios and milk. I’m glad we decided to have breakfast before I dressed her for the day. We have playgroup and then we’re going over to Ben’s house for me to set up your call. There might also be mimosas in there somewhere. Ben’s going to need a lot of mimosas and I will too because I’m going to be going over to your sister’s tonight to break the bad news to her and the husband.  

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: Thank you for doing that.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: You’re welcome. It’s what family does.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock:  What are his in-laws doing?

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Being horrible people. The Dad anyway. The mom is just going along with it.  We’ll talk later. D loves and misses you.

 

Enterprise command Kirk/Spock: I love her too. Jim says he’ll be in touch and yes, he will send pictures of Peter regardless of the outcome.

 

Team Liz/Kevin: Wonderful. I have to go change your toddler. Seriously, Cheerios everywhere.

 

 To be continued

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 71: Day 160: It really does take forever to get email in space

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all absolutely wonderful. Please note that the first email here was only written about two days after the email that Sulu received on day 148. The second one was written two days later, yet they are reaching the Enterprise email server at the same time. Devon really did a number on their email system.

Also, you’ve noticed that I’ve changed the summary and the title of the story slightly. I realized that my original plan to do the whole five year mission in emails was overly ambitious and would result in way too much filler. So we are only doing the first year or so now with a time skip epilogue portion that will take us to my original stopping point.

The original subtitle applied to my original ending and I’m doing something slightly different now. The new title comes from the Mike Shinoda song Make It up As I Go, which I think fits the story better. It also keeps with the song subtitles of the first two stories. The theme song for Dear Spock was Eminem’s Beautiful. The theme song for Dear James was Pink’s Fucking Perfect. I can’t think of a better theme than Make It up As I Go for this story.

New summary from A3O: Follow-up to Dear Spock and Dear James. The five year mission is a go. Jim is trying to figure out how to be Spock’s first officer and husband while dealing with the lasting consequences of nearly dying. Spock tries to figure out how to give Jim what he needs while balancing his responsibilities as captain. Sulu is trying to figure out how to be a good dad to Demora and partner to Ben light years from both. Leonard and Nyota are trying to figure out how to raise a preteen in space with enough baggage to fill the ship. No one knows quite what they're doing. However, they are the best crew in Starfleet, which essentially means they’ll just make it up as they go. A collection of letters, emails and other written correspondence from the first year of Enterprise’s five-year mission.

New summary from fanfiction dot net:
Sequel to Dear James and Dear Spock. The 5 year mission is a go. Everybody’s trying to balance their work and family responsibilities. No one knows quite what they're doing. But they are the best crew in Starfleet, which essentially means they’ll just make it up as they go. A collection of emails & other written correspondence from the first year of Enterprise’s 5-year mission.

Chapter Text

 

 

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: Never ever go to the fertility clinic of the greater Bay Area

Time arrived: 7/31/2260 00:00:01

 

So, I went to see Shawn yesterday and the fact that I needed to take another day to process before I could send you an email probably tells you all types of things about how badly that meeting went. So apparently Shawn was right in letting the DNA test happen and even wiser in deciding to have a second team duplicate the results just in case they tried something. So, I should just tell you immediately that baby K is not Zack’s biological daughter, but she is mine. I kind of fainted when I found out.

 

So, the first time around Zack’s parents did a DNA test to prove that K was their granddaughter. And she totally 100% is their grandchild. However, this time Shawn being Shawn, he decided to run the paternity test against Zack. The Johnsons couldn’t do that last time around, but because of Shawn still having Starfleet connections and the fact that I now know Admiral Chen personally, we were able to access my deceased husband’s Starfleet DNA profile. And to all of our surprises, that proved that baby K is not Zack’s biological daughter because the fucking fertility clinic screwed up and Zoe was implanted with a batch two embryo. I think it’s a small miracle that they didn’t accidentally fertilize Zoe’s donor eggs with her brother’s sperm. Obviously, they are that incompetent.

 

I guess I should start at the beginning. When we first got married, Zack and I decided that when we had kids the first child would be Zack’s genetically and the second child would be mine biologically. We didn’t want to do a three child embryo or something involving more genetic engineering. Instead we would use a donor egg that looks like Zack and vice versus. Eventually, Zack’s sister Zoe agreed to be our surrogate and was willing to donate a few eggs to the cause. After two attempts she got pregnant, but apparently, she got pregnant with an embryo created with my sperm and her egg.

 

The fertility clinic has no idea how that happened or at least that’s what their lawyer is telling us. Shawn and team are looking into it. Theoretically, the embryos created from Zack’s sperm are still in storage. I hope they are anyway. I am paying for it.

 

You and I haven’t talked about it, but I kind of wanted another kid someday in addition to baby D. We can totally raise three together. I didn’t want to take that option off the table by putting the embryos up for adoption. Of course, at the time I thought they were embryos created with my sperm but knowing that they’re Zack’s doesn’t change that.     

 

Now I am extra glad I did that because this is my last piece of Zach. Honestly, I cried a lot in the last day. Too much. I am pissed and angry and I have another meeting with Sean in an hour to decide what we’re doing about the fertility clinic. Should I sue? I don’t know. I don’t want K to think that I love her less because she is not Zack‘s biological child. Because she still is his. If he didn’t die, he would have loved her so much and now I’m crying again. I don’t need this.

 

I don’t even know what this is going to do to the custody case. It changes things because Zoe isn’t going to possibly let her parents try to take her kids. Nor should they, because she’s alive to fight back. It may even make things easier, Zoe has been by my side the entire time on this. I haven’t even told her yet. That’s also part of today’s meeting with Shawn and our new lawyer, Ms. Lee, formerly of Atlanta. Like just hired yesterday new.

 

I will write more later. Love you. Wish you were here.

 

Xxxxx

From: Benjamin_2254

To: SuluHG2260

Subject: Acclimating to reality

Time arrived: 7/31/2260 00:00:01

 

Another day, another letter to you. Maybe things are just that screwed up. Writing to you is how I cope. Although, I promise not to write again outside of an emergency until I hear from you. Liz told me that Enterprise is under a communications blackout due to your current location. Of course that happens now. I hope you at least got the first message before that happened.

 

So Zoe totally has my back. She also fainted when she found out K is her baby, but she cried a little too. After long discussions with the legal team Zoe has decided against signing her parental rights away. Shawn says that will give us more of a chance going up against her parents. Besides, she has always adored K. She has also been baby K’s favorite babysitter whenever she’s in town so we’ll work things out.

 

I’m now glad I had you and Sue to show me the best way to navigate a nontraditional family. I like how you two can just work things out and be best friends for each other. You both have a really great relationship. So I’m hoping we can copy you guys.

 

Also, after very long discussions with Ms. Lee, our new attorney (whose own father makes the Johnsons almost seem like not evil people) and Shawn, we decided that we will be suing the fertility clinic because who knows what other families they did this to. We want to know why it happened to keep it from happening again. Zoe Is pushing for it. Zoe is also totally convinced that K is too young to realize what’s going on so she probably won’t have issues due to the lawsuit. She knows that we adore her to pieces no matter what.

 

I don’t know how this is going to effect the lawsuit with the in-laws. Shawn says from a purely legal perspective it’s a good thing. K’s other biological parent isn’t dead and I am still alive and her biological father and I have more parental rights because our legal system didn’t see me as an equal parent before despite the papers and the marriage certificate and 200 years + of case law.

 

You can tell I’m just angry and sad and furious and I’m probably just rambling into the microphone right now so please forgive me if this is totally incoherent. I just need to talk to somebody and you’re it right now. Zoe is still processing and I’m not quite ready to tell Liz yet, but I will soon. Probably when I pick up baby K today.

 

There’s another lawyer meeting tomorrow, but this time with the other team being there. I’m sure the in-laws know the truth by now. It’s like my life consists of playgroup, office hours, and lawyer time. I’m just glad that Liz is willing to take care of K whenever I have to spend quality time with the lawyers.

 

How did you win the in-law lottery? Zoe is like the only good one. Although your family is an improvement, but I am still getting to know everybody. Although K has been invited for a sleepover next weekend so we shall see. I’ll send pictures. Write back whenever you get these rambling messes of emails.

Xxxxxx

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: OK the ship email system has suspicious timing and two of your messages pushed through at midnight. So at least I got to read your thoughts on what’s going on before we talked. Although the fact that Liz arranged this chat has me worried enough.

 

Enterprise Lt. Commander Sulu: So I should probably apologize for being unavailable for so long at such a crucial time. Although I heard through Jim, who heard from Liz that the Johnsons are dropping their custody suit. Is that a good or bad thing?

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: I would like to say they dropped the suit because they knew Zoe wouldn’t budge 1 inch and their lawyers told them they no longer have a legal leg to stand on, but after today’s legal shenanigans, I realize it’s because they just want a piece of Zack. That’s all K ever was to them, and now that she is not Zack’s child, they don’t actually want her. I still don’t know how Zack is even related to them because they’re just awful. His dad more than the mom but she’s still going along with it.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: And I forgive you for not writing back. Liz told me what happened and I’m so sorry for your loss. Those poor kids. Liz is over there right now breaking the news. She told me what was happening because I am watching Desi right now. Liz felt it was best that she not be there because she’s not sure how the girls are going to take it.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Liz is probably right about that. I’m not sure how they’re going to take it. They’ve already been abandoned once. I’ll probably ship some letters off to my sister once I can get a readout of what’s going on. Also, I really want to know what sent you over the edge today? Were the in-laws really that bad?

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Oh by the way, Leonard believes your new lawyer is his former sister-in-law although not that former because he still claims her. Says she was the second best thing he got out of that marriage. And her father probably is worse than the Johnsons, if the things Jo Jo has told me is any indication.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Kevin is sending me text messages. They handed the letter to your brother-in-law about five minutes ago. He broke a wall and possibly his hand. I am glad I have the baby. Desi says hi and No. No is her favorite word right now.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: They are suing me for Zack’s embryos. And I’m not surprised Miss Lee was the best thing Dr. McCoy got out of his marriage. Zoe is like my favorite right now.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Of course no is Desi’s favorite word. I am not surprised about breaking a wall. Also glad you’re keeping the kids.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: I hate to say it, but I’m not surprised they’re doing this. I kind of felt that they were only trying to get K from you because they wanted a piece of Zack. It wasn’t about her. How are you feeling about this?

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Kevin says your sister is crying, but she is glad you wrote a personal letter because she didn’t want to read some meaningless platitude by a faceless Starfleet member about Alicia. Are they sending the ashes back to earth? Liz asked me to ask that. Or Kevin. I hate when they text me from the same phone because sometimes, they really sound alike.  

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: I thought that way too for a while and I think this annoys me more because K is still their grandkid, but now she is Zoe’s kid not Zack’s kid and well she doesn’t matter. Zoe is the one that cut them off because of how they treated Zack. Do they just see the kids as a second chance, or maybe to repent for their sins? Questioning is something they never did when Zack was alive. They hated him. They hated me. I just don’t even know how to process this right now.

 

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Yes, Alicia’s ashes are being sent back. I made sure of that personally. As far out as we are, I expect it’s going to take about a month. The kids might get there sooner.  

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Oh I should tell you that as of tonight I am no longer sharing a bathroom with my Captain and his husband. This is because Jim and Spock are adopting or at least fostering Jim’s dead brother’s illegitimate child that nobody knew about until about five days ago. We didn’t even know that he was Jim’s nephew until Leonard did a DNA test. His mom didn’t say anything before she died. Yes, it’s a total mess.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: I am sorry that your in-laws are like that and I’m sorry they were like that to Zack and Zoe. Blood doesn’t always make a family. It’s love. I’m just saying if you want to have a third child, I’m OK if you want to use the embryos from Zack. It will be a true yours mine and ours situation. 

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: We could totally try to talk Sue in to being our surrogate, but I don’t think she wants to get pregnant again. OK unless it gets her off of the Hamilton because I think she starting to really hate her ship. She’s a very overworked and underappreciated first officer who’s being gossiped about by everybody.  

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Kevin says thank you for the update about the ashes and the Peter situation. Apparently there was a family discussion about it yesterday or rather earlier today our time, but they didn’t know the outcome.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Yeah I don’t think Sue wants to be pregnant again anytime soon. Apparently, she had morning sickness the entire time last time. It’s a surprise she managed to stay on ship for as much of her pregnancy as possible. It’s something we can talk about after the five-year mission because if we are going to have another kid you’re going to be here at that time. Also, I’m not sure if I want to deal with the Johnsons if we bring a Zack kid into the world.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: I am realizing that blood really doesn’t matter. Your found family is kind of wonderful. I mean Liz made sure we could talk and this is really helping even though I can’t see you.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: I definitely think I want to be present during the pregnancy. I am sad I missed the ultrasounds and everything else with Desi. I mean I have the video files, but it’s not the same. I would’ve loved to have felt Desi kick. I also heard Desi kick Sue’s bladder constantly, so yeah definitely never going to get pregnant again outside of another catastrophic contraceptive failure.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Well she is your free pass and only free pass by the way, so you could end up giving Desi a biological sibling. Kevin and Liz are coming over to get D. Apparently, they’re going to take the kids to get cheer up ice cream after being told their mom is dead. Apparently, ice cream cake will be involved.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Family tradition. That’s how Sue found out about her father.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: How are you going to proceed legally? Do you know yet?

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: I don’t want them to have Zack’s embryos because I don’t want them to raise another child to hate themselves if they’re different. They just expected so much and I can’t do that to an innocent baby.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: But at least you don’t have to worry about them taking K.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: They don’t even want visitation anymore. It’s like one extreme or the other. I’m going to need extra time in therapy just to work all this out.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: Are you seeing someone?

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Yes. Liz insisted. It’s been helping.

 

Enterprise. Lt. Commander Sulu: That’s good. OK Nyota is telling me that our allotted time is up, but I’ll write to you again in a couple of days. You might not see it for about a month, but I will write. Love you.

 

Dr. Ben Johnson: Love you too. I’ll send pictures. You know Desi is going to dive headfirst into the ice cream cake. What is it with that kid in cakes?

To be continued.

Chapter 72: Day 164: Meet Your Grandma

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. This chapter is a departure from our normal format, but necessary. Someone was able to schedule a video conference with Jim and his nephew from an undisclosed Star base. Thanks to the Kirk family drama, this is going to be ridiculously long.

Chapter Text

 

“OK, I should never underestimate your ability to talk Pike into doing anything.” Jim said as his mom popped up on screen. Even though he received an official communiqué, allowing him and Spock the use of long-range conference room six at the Star base, Jim still wasn’t certain the meeting would happen until he saw his mom. Fingers crossed, this goes better than Spock meeting his new foster sister.

 

Apparently being raised as an only child (most of the time) made Spock very territorial, not that Vulcans will ever admit to being territorial. Just another thing to add to the list to talk to Margarita about during his next session which will probably be in an hour. So many things to talk to Margarita about. Even if it’s like 11:15 PM Star base time, Margarita will want to talk. She will be observing anyway to keep things from going nuclear awful.

 

“Actually, it was Ming that authorized this. Thank your brother for dating up.” Jim couldn’t help but roll his eyes at that. His husband was practically Vulcan royalty, even if he had to deal with the bigots. “All she wants is for her granddaughter to see her dad for at least the last 15 minutes. Which is why we chose a time better for us than for you. Sorry. Maybe he can join around midnight your time.”

 

“That can be arranged.” Jim already had his PADD out composing a quick message to Sulu. Hopefully, he was close by. Okay he was probably keeping Pav from making bad hook up decisions. It was close to midnight and both had leave at the moment. They would totally be at one of the bars or restaurants on base.

 

“Where is Peter?” Winona asked.

 

“Waiting outside with Spock as Margarita tries to calm him down.” Because Peter kind of went into a full-blown panic attack 10 minutes ago. “The one time he met one of his grandparents involved getting a restraining order after the fact, so he’s nervous.” He started hyperventilating and may have thrown up on a yeoman. “Dr. Margarita is trying to give him a little pep talk right now before he joins us.”

 

“That poor child. Not even 13 yet and has gone through so much.” A tear was running down Winona’s cheek on screen.

 

“Yes.” You don’t even know everything yet.

 

“So I assume he is staying?” Winona asked.

 

“He wants to.” Like he wouldn’t let go of him and Spock for a good 15 minutes when he brought up the possibility. He’s grown very attached to them over the last week. “But I haven’t heard from Starfleet yet so I have no idea how successful Chen was.” Although, this was the woman who defied Starfleet and rescued Tarsus before the second round of the executions could start, so he has faith in her.

 

“However, the father-in-law is on board with fostering another child. And since Peter finds Spock’s new foster sister, Saavik, to be the epitome of cool, New Vulcan was his second choice.”

 

“Really, I expect official orders to get there by now. Peter is officially a member of the Minors on Enterprise program. Ming had it approved the same day we last talked.”

 

“That is absolutely fantastic.” Because even though they would be able to visit New Vulcan a lot more than Earth, Jim really wanted to keep Peter with them. Also, Spock was a little worried about his father raising a human child without Amanda there.

 

 “Was there any resistance? Or do you not know the answer to that question.” Jim really wanted to know what was going on with Starfleet politics. Okay didn’t want to know but he needed to know because that’s what first officers did.

 

“Of course, there was resistance, but Chen reminded the others of why Peter Kirk is an orphan. Is he going by that name?”

 

“Yes because apparently that’s been the name he’s been going by for the last 12+ years. Her as well at least since her sister was murdered. I guess she introduced us using her maiden name because I guess introducing your son‘s uncle to him when you’re dying is probably not the right time. This whole situation has been crazy.”

 

“That’s probably why she did it. How have you been holding up?” Winona asked.

 

“Pretty good actually under the circumstances.” He hasn’t locked himself in the bathroom to cry. Not since finding out anyway. “Thanks to all the times I have babysat Jo Jo and took care of Kevin, I knew most of the stuff I’m supposed to be doing. The rest I have Spock for. You have no idea how many parenting books he has read in the last four days.” Jim is pretty sure that his husband has been reading some of those on the bridge when he is supposed to be reading reports. Jim is so proud.

 

“Probably a lot. Although most things about parenting are not in the books. Really, I’m just glad you married Spock, instead of a piece of shit like Frank. So you’re ahead of me.” Winona said bitterly.

 

“You didn’t know he was a piece of shit when you married him.” Frank had everybody fooled.

 

“No, but there are things that in hindsight I should’ve noticed. It doesn’t matter because I’m sure you will do much better than I ever did.”

 

“We will see, but the kid is already spending quality time with Margarita.” Literally at the moment. “So the jury is still out.”

 

Gina is also suggesting art therapy and Jo Jo has graciously offered to share her stash. Although, Jim is planning to take Peter to take out in the morning to get some things before they leave. At least this Star base has a mall.

 

“That would be in the positive column. I didn’t do that for you until it was court ordered.”

 

“Will Kevin and Liz be joining us?” Jim asked changing the subject.

 

“In a few minutes. I spoke with my therapist earlier and she suggested that it might be a little too much for Peter to meet us all at the same time. Also one of the people in our party happens to be a toddler that’s prone to screaming.”

 

“As well as dive headfirst into baked goods.” Jim quipped.

 

“That happened yesterday to a cupcake. It’s like she’s convinced that all baked goods should be eaten directly from the table in the messiest way possible.” 

 

“Please tell me there are pictures?” Jim asked.

 

“Already uploaded.”

 

“Which means they will get here in a week.” Jim remarked just as he heard the door open.

 

 “Peter is ready to join this conversation now.” His husband said as he led the 12-year-old into the room. At least he was breathing normally right now. That was a good sign. Of course he saw Margarita in the back. Smart husband. She was staying out of camera range, but staying in the room. Good doctor.

 

“Peter, this is my mom Winona. Remember, I showed you a picture earlier.” As well as told him a few stories. All good things. Mostly. Peter just nodded his head making Jim glad that this was a video feed.

 

“He really does look like you at that age.” And equally antisocial, but Jim was dealing with the aftereffects of Frank. Maybe he can understand Peter better than he thinks he does.

 

“I will show you images later to confirm this.” Spock said from behind Peter. Peter adored Spock. Vulcans in general, really. He actually got along well with Jim’s father-in-law.

 

“So you’re my grandmother?” Peter asked, looking at the screen.

 

“Yes and I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet before.”     

 

“Mom was going to bring me to meet you last time we were on Earth, but your neighbor said you were in rehab.” Jim put his head in his hands, as Spock began to rub his shoulders. Really he should have totally expected this.

 

“That’s probably true. I am an alcoholic, but I am in treatment right now.” At least mom is being honest.

 

“Is that why I am living on ship?” Peter asked.

 

“No, you’re living on ship because we want you here and you want to be here. And yes it’s been approved, so you will get to stay with us. I’m sure you’re happy about that because you’re already BFFs with Josephine.” Jim explained to his nephew. He could feel Spock’s relief through the bond.

 

“Because she understands what’s going on.” Peter responded.

 

“She does.”

 

“Although I was looking forward to spending time with Saavik.” Jim could feel his husband’s lack of surprise at that comment. Peter already really liked his foster aunt.

 

“Chances are we will end up on the colony sooner rather than later. So you will have plenty of time to hang out. You might as well call Kevin and Liz to come in.”  

 

“Kevin is your brother?” Peter asked.

 

“Yes.” Jim confirmed. “I knew I should have given you family tree flashcards.” Yesterday’s quick rundown was not enough.

 

“But not my dad‘s brother because mom said that you were his only sibling.”  

 

“Winona adopted me after Sam died, but I am totally willing to take the fun uncle roll. Sam did see me as a little brother anyway. So, expect a care package filled with goodies the next time Enterprise hits another Star base.” Kevin explained.

 

“The end of next month maybe. And I think that’s only because of the September crew switch out. Which may become the October switch out for us. You know I was really expecting the five-year mission to be more exploring and less every day drudgery.”  

 

“That’s because they’re getting the hang of this or at least that’s what Chan says. So Peter expect Oreos, games, and art stuff when you get new crewmembers. Have Jim give me a list of anything you want.” Kevin offered.

 

“You don’t have to.” Peter mumbled.

 

“I want to. According to Liz over here, it is the responsibility of aunts and uncles to provide you with all the fun stuff, especially when you’re stuck on ship and the real deep exploration part of the five-year mission will kick in.” And Jim was hoping that was soon because the mini missions were starting to cause a headache.

 

“I like comic books. Josephine has been letting me read some of hers. But I like different things.”

 

“Marvel or DC? Josephine is a Marvel girl.” Kevin asked.

 

“IDW and Boom. Although Disney also owns Boom now.”

 

“I like someone who takes a third option. I think you’ll fit in just fine, but I’ll make sure that I put in some chips for you. Streaming doesn’t quite work on Enterprise.” Especially when they get into uncharted space. After the Devon fiasco, Jim was looking forward to two months of deep space. Especially deep space without Jeremy. They put him on the shuttle this morning. Champagne may have been popped.

 

“I discover that on Devon. I discovered a lot of terrible things on Devon. I told mom not to take the job there, but she didn’t listen.” Jim put a comforting arm around Peter as did Spock. All the parenting books he’s been reading has talked about the importance of tactile parenting in humans. Spock is trying.

 

“Sometimes parents are stupid. Jim did not want me to go to Tarsus and I did anyway. I’m so sorry about that.” Winona apologized.

 

‘Because you didn’t want to deal with the fallout of my sexual assault by your ex-husband that you tried to kill.’ Yeah it’s probably best Jim not say that out loud especially because Winona actually apologized for once. No use scaring Peter before he gets used to this family. Poor child.

 

“So Peter tell me everything about you?” Liz asked. Peter really didn’t respond he just shrugged. This did not surprise Jim at all.

 

“OK so how about this, we tell you about us and then when you’re up to it maybe you can write us a letter. I write to your friend Josephine all the time. She should be getting a letter from us in a little while. We emailed one recently.” Liz told the group.

 

“It could take a little while. The servers are dealing with a ridiculous backlog of messages. Sulu got two in the same day that we know were sent a few days apart.” Jim explained with a sigh.

 

“I like Mr. Sulu. He’s going to teach me how to fence.” Peter said almost enthusiastically.

 

“Everyone adores Mr. Sulu. He is Dez’s father.” Liz said pointing to D, that she was holding or at least trying to. Jim thinks she’ll be on the floor of the communications room where they’re doing this call within the next two minutes. It may be sooner.

 

“Is she with you because her mom is dead?” Peter asked. Jim just kind of wants to hug him again. That precious baby.

 

“No. Her mom, my sister Sue, is a first officer like your uncle although unlike him she’s not a captain yet. Jim is special.” Liz smiled at him.

 

“I realize that.”

 

“Anyway baby D is living with us while her mom is away on a mission for the next 10 months. She left in June and should be back hopefully by Desi’s second birthday, fingers crossed.”

 

“Unless she puts in a transfer because her Captain is an asshole.” Jim heard Kevin mumble under his breath.

 

At that point, his mom totally took over and started telling Peter all about his new family. Winona talked about her new job at Starfleet and she’s excited and happy which Jim is surprised about. She also tells Peter a story about his dad from when he was dating Peter’s mom. No one mentioned that Sam proposed before Tarsus, but Peter’s mom was the one who didn’t want to do a long-distance relationship. Jim wonders if she regretted that. She did take the Kirk name after her parents murdered her sister.

 

Winona moves on to talking about adopting Kevin but glosses over the reasons why she adopted Kevin. No one wants to mention Tarsus hell or what happened to Sam there. Yes, let’s not try to remind Peter that both of his parents died on far out colonies.

 

But only one was murdered by a genocidal asshole. Yes let’s not bring that up.

 

Kevin talked about school and his desire to be a diplomat someday. He is currently taking Romulan 2 and getting very confused with Vulcan along with the internship. That led to a side conversation between Spock and Kevin about his foster sister. Peter just stayed quiet listening even when the conversation switched to Liz talking.

 

Liz introduced herself as adopted daughter of Ming Chen head of Starfleet. Command track at the moment but could switch back again. Although, Jim thinks she’ll stay with command because she’s a natural leader. He wants her on Enterprise so badly, but it probably won’t happen because he’s pretty sure he can’t have Kevin on his ship. Although maybe that doesn’t matter as much anymore because Spock is in charge. Something to look into.

 

“We’re probably going to have to end things so Mr. Sulu can at least say hi to his daughter. It’s almost midnight. But do you have any questions for us?” Winona asked.

 

“Why am I just meeting all of you now? I didn’t even know I had a grandmother on my dad’s side until last year.” Peter tells them, and Jim is not surprised.

 

“And unfortunately, I was in rehab at the time. I don’t know the answer to that question, Peter. But the past doesn’t matter. We are here now and we really do want to get to know you.” Winona explained.

 

“If you want, you can write to us. You can ask us anything. We may not know the answers to your questions, but I will tell you whatever we can.” Kevin tells him.

 

“Will you tell me stories about my dad?” Peter asked.

 

“I only knew him towards the end, but Jim and Winona have tons of good stories.” And Jim knew that Kevin didn’t want to share those stories, not even with Jim.

 

“I’ll record a video file about that time Sam tried to sell Jim for a box of chocolate when he was six.” Winona offered much to Peter’s enthusiasm and Jim’s mortification.

 

“And on that note, Sulu is now standing at the door, so we are going to head out of the room and let you chat for a few minutes before our allotted time ends. I’ll write in a few days. Love you guys.” Jim said getting them all out the room as fast as possible, just as the clock struck midnight.

To be continued

Chapter 73: Day 165: Post midnight conversations

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. The last chapter got so long that I decided to split it, which is also why the call was taking place so late at night. But hey it’s technically day 165.

Chapter Text

“How are you feeling, Peter?” James asked Peter once they were out of the room.

“OK.” Peter responded, not looking at either of them. Spock was concerned.

“Just like the term fine, okay has various degrees of meaning.” Spock told the group.

“Although the fact that you have not resumed hyperventilating leads me to believe that you actually are okay. Or at least okay-ish.” Dr. Margarita Cruz said from beside the group.

“Or at least no longer terrified. The throwing up earlier had me a little concerned.” Jim added.

“Maybe not overwhelmed anymore. They were nice. I don’t know why I was so scared.” ‘Because your maternal grandfather murdered your maternal aunt.’ However, Spock had enough decorum not to say that out loud.

“I told you they would be.” James placed a hand on Peter’s shoulder.

“I’ve never met a nice grandma before. I think I might actually want to talk to grandma Winona again.”

“We are exploring that during your next session.” Spock heard the doctor mumble under her breath.

“Winona has her issues like the alcoholism, but she’s never been abusive.” No, that was James’ stepfather and for the sake of Peter, they won’t be talking about that. “Also expect her to totally spoil you. Your care package is going to be gigantic.”

“She doesn’t have to.”

“She wants to. We were barely speaking at the time and she still sent care packages when I was at the Academy.”

“Really?”

“Yes.” James reassured.

“Do they really want to get to know me? They said I could write, but do they mean that?” Peter asked, and Spock was expecting this question.

“Yes. Mom and Kevin were ridiculously excited to talk to you, Liz as well. You’re going to have so many presents waiting for you next time we’re at a Star base.”

“But why? Is it because I am a connection to Sam? Sometimes I think mom only kept me around because she misses him. Did miss them.” Spock is not surprised that Peter is stumbling over using the past tense. He still struggles with that in relation to Amanda and it’s been over two years.

“No.” James answered quickly.

“You’re a very fascinating young man.” Spock added.

“And I think now that they know about you, they want to know who you are. But Liz and Kevin at least realize that it might take you a moment to want to share so they are giving you a moment.”

“Because I’m Sam’s kid?” Peter asked.

“Because you’re Peter. And I know you probably don’t believe that because growing up I felt like people only cared about me because of my father. He died about five minutes after I was born. Everybody always saw me as the second coming of George Kirk and not Jim Kirk. But eventually I found people that liked me for me, and I like you for you.”

“But I wouldn’t be living with you if I wasn’t your brother’s son. I would’ve been on the shuttle with all the other kids this afternoon. Or rather yesterday.” Peter said yawning, probably realizing that it was after midnight, at least on Star base. The Star base was two hours ahead of Enterprise time.

“Actually, James was looking into the possibility of us fostering you before we were aware you were a genetic relative.” Because James knew your mother’s family was abusive before he knew about your grandfather murdering your aunt. “However, the fact you are a genetic relative makes it feasible for us to keep you with us on Enterprise.”

“Exactly. The genetic related thing just makes it easier to overcome Starfleet bureaucratic bull… OK who wants ice cream?” Thankfully, James corrected his language quickly.

“I would love some, but it’s after midnight and I have a full day of appointments. However, both you and Peter are on my docket tomorrow. Noon for both of my Captains and 1 PM for Peter.”

“Of course, Margarita. And it just sounds awkward for us to have the same rank.” Margarita took her leave at James’ words.

“Despite the fact that we will have several meetings in the morning related to our next assignment, I believe I would like something with chocolate.” He would really like some chocolate right now. “Although, I am uncertain where we can find ice cream at this time and I prefer not to imbibe replicated ice cream when not necessary.”

“Every Star base has at least one 24-hour market.” James smirked at his husband before grabbing his hand and pulling him into a discrete Vulcan kiss. “I feel like we can all use some ice cream right now.”

Xxxxx
“OK I was kind of surprised to be called here.” Sulu said as he popped on screen. Liz was just happy to see him. “How did the meeting with Peter go?

“Well mom agreed for us to meet Peter if baby D got to see her dad. Which went well, by the way. We have about 15 minutes for family bonding time. Wave to daddy, sweetie.” And Demora did without any additional prompting.

“I feel like this is like a misuse of her position. Demora is adorable.” Sulu said, waving back at his baby girl.

“Still better than building secret war ships.” Liz quipped.

“This is true. So, what’s been going on?”

“Oh, you know the usual falling into cakes and making a mess.”

“Do you know that we do at least one load of laundry every day now? How can an almost 14-month-old be that messy?”

“Jim practically spent the first three years of his life in the mud.” Liz heard Winona said off-camera. She wondered if Sulu heard that.

“I’m not surprised. How are things with Ben and the custody issues? Is he waiting in the wings?”

“I wish, but he is at an emergency lawyer meeting right now because things aren’t that complicated with the former in-laws. I tried to get another window. But mom wouldn’t budge, and then had to be there.” Liz explained.

“So, things are that bad.”

“Yep. Ben and Zoe are currently engaged in a PR war with the fertility clinic and Zach’s parents. Shawn is ready along with Ms. Lee. However, that means mandatory meetings when he could be at least talking with his boyfriend.”

“I am not surprised. And I understand. I always knew baby K would always be his priority. I didn’t understand it until I had Demora, but I get it now.”

“Daddy love.” Demora told her dad.

“It’s been only two months and she’s gotten so big. Also, that almost sounded like a sentence.”

“It’s all the cake.” Kevin remarked.

“Way too many birthday parties.” Liz added.

“That’s to be expected because my sister is a party planner and will use any excuse to throw a party. Especially if you’re willing to pay for it. Therefore, I’m planning to elope.”

“Is there something you need to tell us?” Liz asked.

“Not yet. How are my sister and brother-in-law? How are the kids? This must be awful for them.”

“The kids are devastated, especially because Alicia has been trying to get back in contact with them over the last few months. Her new friend Arlene convinced her to.”

“I don’t know if that’s better or worse.” Sulu sighed.

“I think better in the long run anyway, but they’re just sad right now. Which explains why your sister is having a superhero themed sleepover this weekend and both your girls are invited. I am too as a chaperone.”

“Of course, she is. She buries herself in her work instead of processing her emotions. Like she couldn’t give that celebrity wedding to someone else right after the miscarriage.” Sulu lamented.

“Everybody processes grief differently and that’s her process. The brother-in-law is sad, but dealing with it. Or at least I think he is. I think I’ll have a better handle on everything after the superhero sleepover. I have to find the perfect superhero pajamas.”

“Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, or Agent May?”

“Quake for baby D, but I’m still trying to figure out the rest of us.”

“Of course. Send me pictures.”

“We will and I’m being told that we’re going to have to cut this short. I will write soon. I promise to give you all the juicy details regarding the custody situation. But hey at least baby K is safe.”

“For the moment anyway. You do promise to get a hold of me right away if it does go completely sideways.”

“Yes. Remember my mom is head of Starfleet.” Liz tells him.

“I know. Give my love to Ben.”

“I will. That man misses you so much. Fingers crossed, this will get straightened out and he can take the Yorktown job.”

“I hope so too. Bye baby, daddy loves you.”

“Love, daddy.” Desi waves at the screen just as it goes blank. Of course, 30 seconds after that, she decides to take off her shoes and throws them at the screen because of course she does.
To be continued

Chapter 74: Day 169: Don’t Expect to Get this Message Anytime Soon

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read our review the last conversation. You were all fabulous.
Warning: Discussions about sexual assault and past suicide attempts.

Chapter Text

 

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 8/9/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Email takes forever in space

OK, the lag time between messages is starting to get ridiculous. If I’m doing the math right, it took nearly 3 weeks for this to get here. I already know that Jeremy will be kicked off your ship, as soon as you guys get to a Star base. Fingers crossed it happens before the September switch out.

 

I did not need to know about Liz getting you that as a present. Although, I also didn’t want to know that you have your own collection of sex toys nor do I want to talk to classmates about the existence of such a collection. Liz was not happy when Julie from my summer diplomacy seminar asked if the Jim Kirk vibrator was to scale. I wasn’t happy either because you don’t ask somebody that question about their brother even if they’re related just through adoption. What is wrong with people sometimes? Please tell me you’re suing the red-light district. I’m still creeped out about the whole thing.

 

The internship is getting better. Okay, the internship is getting better because at least twice a week, I have two small babies with me. People are less likely to act like assholes when there are babies around, especially cute ones. I have baby duty at work because Liz had to spend a few days with the lawyers because Ben needs her. That whole custody situation is just awful. He really needs emotional support and with Sue and his boyfriend in space, Liz is the next best thing.

 

Oh, by the way tell McCoy that his sister-in-law has moved to San Francisco after taking a job with Shawn’s firm. They needed her so quickly that she hasn’t even gone back to Georgia to get her stuff yet. I think Liz will volunteer us to help as soon as things are stable up here, whenever that may be. Ms. Lee likes us despite Liz cursing her out earlier on and suggesting severe therapy. Also, we feel like baby D should get to see the world. There’s more to it than San Francisco and shiny Star bases. Atlanta must be better than Riverside.

 

Fingers crossed mom stays good. She’s still at the Academy and teaching. More importantly she hasn’t shown up at tequila night at Purple Haze. Although Pike has been keeping her busy with brunches and drinking orange juice in solidarity, I’m almost hopeful that rehab will work this time.

 

Anyway, I have like 300 reports to read while taking care of two toddlers. I’ll talk to you later. Taking care of children is hard. Bye, big brother.

 

Xxxxx

 

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Subject: Re: Just Checking in

Time arrived: 8/9/2260 00:00:01

 

OK, now I must know if Jeremy did something stupid or if it was crewmembers fighting. I don’t get anywhere near this much good gossip here. My only real source is your father-in-law. There aren’t even any other Starfleet officers in my unit. I’m on special assignment essentially. Apparently, my time working with your husband has made me Starfleet’s go to person for Vulcan psychology. I’m sure Margarita’s number two. I promise I won’t let them poach her.

 

I’m sure you know by now that Spock has a foster sister. She’s adorable, but angry. I understand why even if I can’t tell you specifics due to doctor-patient confidentiality, but I will say it never ceases to amaze me that a species that claims to celebrate the importance of diversity are a bunch of bigots. According to my colleagues it’s better now than it was on old Vulcan. Most of the survivors are people who left Vulcan because they didn’t quite fit in. So maybe it’s a good thing that they are the ones rebuilding society. Fingers crossed the next generation will be better.

 

At the same time, there’s a lot of anger at anybody of partial Romulan ancestry. It’s like everything bad that some idiot of the race did is also the fault of everyone else of that race. Which is absolute bullshit, but that is always how it is, which is just shameful. Being biracial, you see that prejudice is still there.

 

I mean we try to uphold the ideals of the Federation, but sometimes it’s easier to uphold ideals in theory then in practice. I had this professor back at the Academy that said everybody’s prejudiced, but it’s how we act on those prejudices that makes the difference. Vulcans are still dealing with that.

 

Sorry for the tirade, I just kind of needed to get that out. So how are things on Enterprise? Did you enjoy your exploratory mission, or did it not happen?

 

Your mom wrote me and told me about the new job and selling the farm as well. The email got to me about two days before yours even though I think it was written later. How far out are you right now?

 

I think it’s good that your family sold the farm. Other people may see it as a memorial to George Kirk. However, you only see it as a reminder of what Frank did to you. The fact that you are now able to talk about it openly just shows how far you’ve come. I am so proud of you. I think if you want to create a group for other survivors of sexual assault on ship, I will support you in any way that I can. You’re doing a lot of good things, Jim Kirk.

 

I agree with your husband. I want to keep you happy and healthy and around for as long as possible and I’m glad you want that as well. Knock it off with the suicide by nobility. Although that is an improvement on when we met each other. You’ve come a long way from being the kid that almost didn’t jump out of the car.

 

Anyway, write me back when you have time.       

 

Xxxx

 

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 8/9/2260 06:54:31

Subject: Re: Email takes forever in space

 

It’s just still so weird to read this email now after so much has happened. You probably now know why Pike is only drinking orange juice. Honestly, at this point, the sex toy thing is the last thing on my mind right now. The lawyers can handle it because Spock and I have more important things to deal with like emotionally distraught preteens.

 

We’ve even talked twice since you probably wrote this and you know the lag time between emails is going to get worse once we get back into deep space. We’re going to do an assessment on a newly discovered planet. It’s going to be at least two months of pure exploration and I am kind of looking forward to it. The only reason why it’s no longer is because of the September crew switch out.

 

Spock will be itchy because he won’t be able to go down and play. Carol banned him, but I feel like it might be good. I think I’m going to have to get a new science officer soon. Regardless, it will give us time to bond as a family. Also, now that we have Peter, only one of us can participate in an away mission at a time unless I’m needed to play happy spouse. I mean technically that was true before, but because of Peter we will follow said rule.

 

Peter is getting used to us and starship life. He loves his new bedroom as well as some of the new games and stuff we were able to pick up on Star base before we left two days ago. He kind of went nuts at the Star base mall. There’s toys and stuff everywhere. Scotty’s going to have to build him some shelves. He really does love comic books. I know he’s going to want some hard copies eventually.

 

Peter begins classes tomorrow and is not looking forward to it. Hey, he should be happy that no one is nearly as bratty as they were back in February. Also, Gina is so good at her job. I am glad that your future mother-in-law was able to talk her into coming because she is good. I’m not sure how she’s going to deal with Peter, but hey at least he’s somewhat verbal right now. Also not throwing up anymore. In addition, he is no longer clinging to Margarita for dear life. So that’s a step in the right direction. Okay he was so nervous before our video conference that he kind of threw up on the Yeoman.

 

Peter is quiet, very quiet right now and I get that. I mean in the last two weeks his mom died, his planet was attacked by things I can’t talk about, and he is now living with an uncle (and Vulcan husband) that he did not know existed until after the other two things happened. So of course, he’s not going to be chatty or happy or anything else. He’s processing. At least he’s doing the art and not driving cars off cliffs. Much better coping mechanism.

 

So, I guess I’m asking for tips on what to do, but I feel the one year old might be easier. I hope I don’t screw this thing up.  Parenthood is terrifying.

I didn’t think this was ever going to happen. Not after I was told I’m sterile now. That was a stupid thought since my husband still has active swimmers. But we are Starfleet and that rarely mixes with family. However, here we are, Spock and I are raising a 12-year-old. I hope I don’t fuck this up.

 

Anyway, I’ve got a 12-year-old to wake up and feed before shift. I’ll talk to you later.

 

Xxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Subject: Re: Just Checking in

Time sent: 8/9/2260 21:46:01

 

I’m glad I got a letter from you today. I have been meaning to write you for like the last week, but you have no idea how busy I’ve been. Everything just kind of blew up in the last two weeks. Spock and I have been putting the pieces back together, but I think we’re starting to get the handle of it.  

 

I can’t believe it’s been so long since we talked because the last thing you knew about was Jeremy was being a brat. So good news, he’s totally off my ship for good. Shocking news, he was on the ship in the first place to keep the Minors on Enterprise program from being successful. He didn’t qualify because he kind of sort of lit his house on fire with people still inside on purpose. There may have also been some animals murdered. Obviously, he didn’t qualify and probably needs a lot of professional help.  

 

The problem that day was Jeremy tried to touch Ashley 2 in a bad way and well, the Sulu self-defense training has been paying off. I’m so proud, but that was the push we needed to get him off the ship. I will not tolerate that type of behavior at all. So, after confining him to quarters for several weeks as well as multiple emergency meetings with HQ, Jeremy is off to quasi-military school with lots of therapy and possibly some drugs. Fingers crossed that it will make a difference.

 

Jeremy’s spot has already been filled by my secret nephew that I didn’t know about until things on Deneva went fubar. So, do you remember me talking about Sam’s girlfriend/almost fiancé that he ended things with before going to the planet of the damned? All those hypos that are needed for colony life deactivated his contraceptive hypo and I am now the foster parent of a Peter. Well, I and Spock are foster parents possibly looking to adopt maybe if Peter wants us to. We’re taking it one day at a time.  

 

So, I guess I should start with we didn’t get to some nice planetary exploration because of an incident on Deneva that Enterprise had to respond to because we were the closest. Arlene, Sam’s ex-girlfriend, ended up taking a job there about a year ago after doing several other off planet research jobs. She was apparently only on Earth for any amount of time to make sure her parents got what they deserved for murdering her sister. Yes, that family was that fucked up.

 

Anyway, Arlene died after making me promise that I would take care of Peter and keep him away from her family. She neglected to say that he was my family, but that’s what DNA test are for.

 

Because Sam gave his life during the Tarsus fuck up, Starfleet owes him. Even though he’s not quite 13 yet, Peter got a spot in the program. Okay Kevin’s choice in girlfriends may have played a role in it as well, but I’m not going to complain. He has his own room and Sulu is happy to no longer be sharing with us, however shower sex will not be resuming because Spock and I have a kid.

 

I have a kid. I’m still trying to wrap my head around that. How did this happen? I am a parent. Should I even be a parent? I didn’t exactly have the best examples growing up. Everybody says I raised Kevin, but I’m kind of panicking regardless. Spock is trying to be the calm and collective one, but we’re just going to have to see how well that continues. I mean we’re raising a kid, a kid whose mother just died and is now being raised on a starship after years of being on various research colonies. I’m positive this will probably go badly. At least Margarita is around to pick up the pieces. Thank you for making sure she doesn’t get sent somewhere else. We really need her right now.

 

Spock is aware of his foster sister. We chatted a few days ago. The father-in-law agreed to be a backup foster parent for Peter in case Starfleet decides that the Minors on Enterprise program should end or just in case Peter didn’t get a spot. Spock’s foster sister is so cute even if she’s constantly scowling. Her and Peter already like each other. I have this feeling that we’re probably going to get a new Vulcan colony assignment at some point in the future. Hopefully, it will go better than last time, but you will be there so at least there’s that.

 

Anyway, I must get my preteen off to bed. His first day of school is tomorrow. Fingers crossed that will not be a disaster.

 

To be continued                                       

Chapter 75: Day 174: Greetings from the other side of chaos

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all absolutely fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 8/14/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Re: Still not getting better.

 

Hey, I am sorry I did not write to you when I first got your letter, but the Hamilton has been chaotic. More of me writing condolence letters. You wouldn’t expect this happening that much on a diplomatic ship, but we’re trying to deal with the fallout of my mom’s predecessor. Everybody is in a shoot first ask questions later kind of mood. I fucking hate Marcus.

 

But I figured I should write to you now that I received a letter from my sister and Ben. OK, Zack‘s parents are just evil. Although now that they don’t want baby K anymore, maybe my dream of the whole family on Yorktown can happen. Except for Kevin and Liz, they will hopefully be on a ship together. I expect the wedding immediately following graduation so that they can apply for tandem assignments after Kevin‘s graduation. Kevin is going to be about a year behind Liz. Longer if he takes a lighter class load next semester because of D. I feel like he should test out of several classes by virtue of surviving Tarsus.

 

Yes, I’ve already put in applications for Yorktown and six Starbases for that matter. I am done with starship life. I want to be near my kid. I also hate my captain so much. How did you get the good captain? Although, I’m thrilled  I don’t have to share a bathroom with mine as  you do. That probably has the potential to be awkward, mainly  because there are some days I would like to rip his eyes out with a spoon.

 

I liked the Captain I had before. She was the best, so of course, mom made her an admiral. Not mom per se, but the Starfleet machine in general. You know my “boss” had the audacity to tell me that if I didn’t get pregnant, I probably would’ve had the Hamilton. That good old pregnancy tax. According to the Hamilton rumor mill/court of public opinion, I likely will never become a captain because of Starfleet sexism, not that I care at this point. Fingers crossed mom fixes that before Liz leaves the Academy.          

 

So, I’ve heard from the rumor mill that your one-month of uninterrupted exploring didn’t happen because of something involving Deneva.. I don’t know anything else because the details are extremely classified and there’s a satellite blackout going on. Maybe it’s a good thing I waited a little while to write to you because I have this feeling that you wouldn’t have got the message for a while.

 

Did you see pictures of Desi at her other birthday party? Why does she keep diving into cake? What is it with her and cake? I hope she doesn’t do that with ice cream cake.

Seriously, write back when you get a chance. Your letters are keeping me sane.

Xxxxxx

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 8/14/2260 00:00:01

Subject: How are you enjoying your Jeremy free world?

 

OK, wow it took forever for your last email to get here. Like we talked to Jim today long. Deep space instant message due to a family emergency. And, oh my God, what a family emergency it was. So, I know that Jeremy is very long gone or at least should be by now. You would’ve definitely hit the star base before getting this.

 

Actually, it’s possible that we spoke to Jim a second time before you read this letter. But that is kind of what happens during a family emergency. Kevin is still trying to process the fact that Sam has a kid. We both are. It’s a surprise.

 

Maybe there’s a ton of guilt tied up in there too because Sam died saving us. So because both Kevin and I are alive, there’s another kid in the universe growing up without a father. That’s a therapy appointment right there. More than one actually.

 

Although, I heard you’re being a good friend to Peter, which I’m glad. You of all people know how difficult this is going to be for him and I’m pleased  that you’re going to be there. I’m sure by the time you get this we’ll already know if Peter is staying on board. I think he will be. Mom is calling in a lot of favors. She feels like she must because if it weren’t  for him, she would’ve arrived after executions took place. It was still a bloodbath, but less of one because of what Sam and Winona did.

 

Okay, let’s move on from the subject of Tarsus to the love life of the starship Enterprise. Much safer topic, for me anyway. I felt terrible  about calling the break up between Pav and the doctor because I feel like he really liked her, but maybe it’s best not to date somebody who has so many other things going on now. Also, the age difference was a bit much right now. Maybe in 10 to 15 years, it would be different, but here we are now.

 

I know you’re upset because the guy you like doesn’t feel the same way about you. However, I feel like what you had was a safety crush. You allowed yourself to have feelings for someone that you knew couldn’t reciprocate them, so that way you weren’t really risking anything. At least he better not reciprocate them at this point. As I stated, things would be different in 15 years, but that’s not where we are now.

 

Are you aware by now that your aunt has moved to San Francisco? OK, most of her stuff is still in Georgia, but she’s already on the job because the Johnson versus Johnson custody case is getting nasty. I am so glad that Sulu is the one who impregnated my sister and that whole family is stable. It would’ve been awful if Desi‘s dad was the other guy. I just have this feeling that he totally would’ve been like the Johnsons.

 

Your aunt is cool now. She probably needs extra time in therapy, but who doesn’t. Again, we have additional sessions planned because of Sam guilts. She is doing OK. Mostly.

 

Your grandfather is a dick. I bet you wouldn’t be surprised at all for me to tell you that Judge Lee has tried to convince Shawn to fire her, but if you knew Shawn, you would know that was just stupid. He told him to fuck off, literally. I thought about including the audio file, but I’m not entirely sure how you feel about your grandfather.

 

 Anyway, we’ve been drafted into helping her pack or rather I volunteered. This weekend, the babies have a sleepover at Sulu’s sister’s house. They also lost their mom on Deva. Not that she was ever really a mom, but they’re still affected. That’s all the messy.

 

Regardless, I feel like getting out of San Francisco for a few days, and I was promised I get to have tea with some of the petty bitches that have been bad mouthing your family. I feel the need for vengeance.

 

I promise to send video.         

XXXX

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 8/14/2260 06:13:01

 

Subject: Re: Still not getting better.

 

Yep, she would go headfirst into ice cream cake. Or so I’ve been told. I got pictures anyway because apparently those get here faster than actual emails. I’m not surprised.

 

We’re starting a month and a half of deep space exploration. We are doing the initial intake of planet X4Z3. We think it might be suitable for human inhabitants, but we’re still exploring. I’m going to get to spend two weeks on the planet just cataloging plant species with the science team, possibly longer. It’s going to be spectacular. I’m looking forward to it after everything that’s been happening the last few weeks.  

 

So good news, I am no longer sharing a bathroom suite with my captain and first officer. Last week I moved to the old chief medical officer‘s room. Yes, it’s very close to sickbay, but I don’t mind. I have this new room because Deva went badly and Jim now has custody of his nephew that he didn’t know about.

 

Literally, nothing at all. We didn’t even know until the DNA test came back. I don’t know all the details, but apparently, Jim’s brother got his girlfriend pregnant before leaving for Tarsus, and well you know what happened on Tarsus probably better than I do. Regardless, said girlfriend never told anyone in the family about her son. Okay, she tried last year, but Winona was in rehab at the time. Yeah, I’m not getting as much gossip, now that I’m not sharing a bathroom with Jim.

 

Anyway, she and her son were stationed on Deneva as part of the research team there. She worked with Alicia a.k.a. my sister’s children’s biological mom. Unfortunately, there was an incident on Deneva that is too classified to discuss in this email, but she died along with Alicia.

 

I now know what it’s like to write condolence letters and they suck. It’s almost enough to make me rethink wanting to become a captain someday, but I want to make sure there are  better captains, so you and others don’t have to deal with awful ones.

 

I think its absolute bullshit that you’re getting penalized for being pregnant and the fact that it still happening is completely fucked up. You’re good at your job. I hope that with more women in the higher echelons of Starfleet due to the Marcus fallout, this will become less of a problem. You deserve everything, and you shouldn’t be penalized for choosing your family.

 

I mean Jim essentially had to step down to let Spock be a captain. Jim was a great captain, terrified, but he was good at his job. Spock is also a good captain, but honestly, they’re a team which essentially makes me their real first officer, but with fewer HR responsibilities.

 

I would have hated to have to handle the Jeremy situation, but Jim did well. Okay, I’m just glad the kid is gone. I’m sure Gina already emailed you about that. Her candle lighting was successful. Peter, Jim’s nephew, has taken his spot.

 

I have a whole gaggle of teenagers doing fencing. Peter joined last night, and that kid has some aggression issues that need to be worked out. He is also clinging to Jo Jo for dear life, but I think he’ll do well among the other members of the Enterprise Orphans Club. May our daughter never become a member.

 

Xxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 8/14/2260 21:56:12

Subject: How are you enjoying your Jeremy free world?

 

Jeremy free life is absolutely wonderful. I have friends. I don’t have to worry about people putting laxatives in my food. I’m not being constantly bullied. Although what he was doing to me was preferable to what he was doing to the Ashleys. Maybe I should be thankful he thought I was too young. Save me from having to deal with inappropriate touching.

 

I hope somebody choked on a scone during your Atlanta tea party with the moms of my former friends. The country club moms of Sandy Springs can be vicious, so it should prove to be entertaining. Yes, please send video. Although the fact that I haven’t got any yet makes me think it didn’t happen. The video always gets here first. I heard from Sulu and I’m glad my aunt is far away from Grandpa Lee. He was just awful. Yes, please send me that audio file.

 

I’m so glad she is in San Francisco. Not being anywhere near Judge Lee is the best thing for everyone. Please keep an eye on her. She’s fragile.

 

Peter has begun to paraphrase song lyrics, making it up as he goes. He’s getting through it as best as he can. He’s not crying anywhere near as much as I did.

 

However, it’s nice to have someone else in my class that’s working at the same grade level. I mean, there were some things like literature that I’m working on the same material as Jay and the Ashleys, but other things I am not so it’s good to have a contemporary.

 

Peter understands me, or maybe I understand Peter, but in a lot of ways, it’s different. One, his mom actually loved him and didn’t want to leave him. Two, he wasn’t with his father because his father already died. I am not going to ask too many questions, but I know it wasn’t good. Finally, there was probably no way to keep what was happening on Deneva from happening. I kind of feel like I could have stopped the tree thing from happening. We both have survivor’s guilt. Apparently, you do too. Margarita says that is normal and is helping us both work through it. I think she’s already handed Peter his own therapy journal.

 

So I’ve talked to Pav about his sister, and he really does get what I’ve been going through more than a lot of people. I would have hugged him, but I’m not sure he would have found it appropriate. I’m still trying to figure out how to act around him. I mean, I like him more now that I know the truth about him burying his sister before arriving at the Academy, but I’m 12 (or will be in a few days), and he’s 19. That’s not going to work anytime soon, mainly  because he sees me as a little sister replacement, a little sister replacement for his dead sister. There are so many issues right there.

 

Maybe now that I thought about it, my crush on him is just my attempt to be like the other Ashleys, but I should remember that they’re all 2 to 4 years older than me. Although, most of the Ashleys are now lamenting the fact that Uncle Jim is gay. I’m not going point out the bisexual thing because let’s be honest, he’s now Spock sexual.

 

Adolescence is hard, but at least I have friends. J, Ashley two, and Peter are definitely my friends. Ashley one may get there. Now she’s kind of sorry about breaking up her aunt and the boyfriend up since her aunt is so sad right now, but in the end, it’s probably for the best. Maybe. Again, adolescence is hard.

To be continued

 

Chapter 76: Day 179: Give Liz Cookies

Summary:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are also wonderful.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Liz is the greatest
Time arrived: 8/19/2260 00:00:01

I need to give Liz like 1000 cookies. She is the absolute best. Not only have she and Kevin been wonderful helping with babysitting during this entire mess with my former in-laws, but they’ve been my emotional rock during this. (Along with Kevin’s mom because there are some Kirk family stories that I wish I could tell you, but I’ve been sworn to secrecy that have made me feel so much better.) More importantly, Liz making sure I could do a deep space almost instant message session with you a few days ago. You have no idea how much I needed that. Even though I couldn’t hear your voice, just talking to you almost live really helps me process everything going on. I needed that so much.

Liz offered to let me talk to you live yesterday when she and Kevin were going to meet Kevin’s nephew for the first time, but there was an emergency meeting about the custody case that I couldn’t miss. Essentially our judge commanded us to try to do arbitration again with just 24 hours’ notice, and we had to strategize.

Of course, no amount of strategizing could make that meeting go well. Highlights included our arbitrator being 30 seconds from tears for the two-hour long session and my former father-in-law threatening to ruin my career if I don’t turn over the Zack embryos to him. Also, he tried to invalidate my marriage multiple times to argue that I have no right to make any decisions whatsoever regarding those embryos. The arbitrator disagreed, and it just got worse from there.

Mr. Johnson still doesn’t want visitation with baby K. Zack’s mom Victoria did until he gave her a look and she backed down. There is obviously something odd going on there. Compared to daddy dearest, Victoria has always been the almost reasonable one. Even when his dad was a total dick, Victoria still sent care packages to Zack. She also tried to come to the wedding. She didn’t make it because she fell and broke her leg the day before, but she tried. Daddy dearest, not so much.

So, it’s obvious that arbitration was a complete failure, and my willingness to allow them to have visitation with any child we have using those embryos was completely rejected. When I say rejected, I mean I was spat on, and Mr. Johnson was let out by security. Yes, really. Victoria apologized without making eye contact with anyone.

Only two good things happened yesterday. First, Zoe agreed to handle everything related to suing the fertility clinic herself. That’s great because I have 900 other things to worry about. I don’t have the energy to do anything besides the occasional deposition. So that’s going to all be on her and the legal team.

Two, because I had to go to the men’s room to change into my backup outfit (because no parent of a child under two goes anywhere without a backup outfit), I did not get stuck in an elevator with Zoe, Ms. Lee, and Victoria for two hours. I don’t think I can be in an elevator for two hours with Zack’s mom right now. Not at all. I don’t know how Zoe dealt with it although she did leave the elevator in tears, so nothing good happened in that elevator.

OK, I want to know what’s going on with you in space. I know that you’re at a Starbase right now because you’re dropping off the children that you rescued to be sent to other family members or at least that’s how Liz phrased it. I was also told that Jim and Spock just became foster parents. Congratulations on their impending parenthood.

Does this mean you get a brand-new room and no longer must share a bathroom with your Captain and his husband? I know you walked in on them before and it can’t be comfortable living next door to your boss. I would hate that.

Of course, that was weeks ago because it probably took that long for this message to get to you. What are you doing now? Tell me cute little stories about the ship or the kids that you’re working with. I need to focus on something other than custody drama, but that’s pretty much taken over my life.

I’m not even sure how much longer work will be a part of it. One of the senior partners suggested that I take a leave of absence until the custody situation has resolved. I’m thinking about doing it because I’m missing work all the time, and it’s not fair to my patients. They deserve a doctor that can put them completely first. I’m going to think about it over the next few days and give my decision on Monday

Oh, the babies have a sleepover tomorrow with your sister. Instead of processing that her children’s biological mother died, she has been in full party planner mode. I don’t know if this is to distract herself or to distract the kids, but maybe some combination of the two. I’ve been told there’s going to be a bouncy castle at the superhero sleepover. Also, K is supposed to arrive in superhero PJs. Thankfully, Liz is taking care of that for me. Again, I owe her so many cookies.

Also, I’ve seen the mock-up plans for the remembrance ceremony and I’ve never known funerals being that intense or involving that many candles. Then again, I was kind of a zombie when Zack died. It also happened during the middle of a genocidal massacre, so I probably should not hold that as the gold standard for funerals.

OK apparently, even though we talked a few days ago, I have a lot that needed to get out. Well, this letter ended up longer than I thought it would. You’re my favorite way to vent. Liz and Winona are great, but it’s different with you. Of course, both refuse to let me continuously wallow in my own misery.

Apparently, while the kids are at their superhero sleepover Winona is taking me out for movie night. I think she’s doing it because at least I won’t be tempted to drink away my fucked up in law problems. Although it would be tempting. Maybe she needs to vent a little bit about the surprise grandchild. That’s bringing all sorts of emotions forward. But hey, this is what friends do and I’m glad I have them right now.

Xxxx

From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Re: Liz is the greatest

Time sent: 8/19/2260 18:49:01

I’m glad you have friends as well. You really need them right now. I wish I could’ve spoke with you too, but I understand. Maybe at the end of September when we’re doing the crew switch out. I really wish I was somewhere closer where it wouldn’t take weeks for this to get here, but here we are.

I’m sorry about your former father-in-law is being a dick. But hey, maybe Zack’s mom is nowhere near as horrible. Are you sure that he broke her leg accidentally before the wedding? I’m concerned a little bit. Maybe I’ve heard too many Jim and Ashley two stepparent war stories, but I feel like there could be something more serious going on here.

Maybe you should take that leave of absence because just hearing about everything going on is exhausting. This might be a good time for self-care. Although fingers crossed that all of this gets resolved peacefully and quickly.

Work is good, despite being so far away from you and the kids. We are doing a planet assessment and nothing bad has happened yet. No ion storms that have trapped the team on planet. Also, no new friends making inappropriate hook up decisions in a cave. In addition, nothing tried to eat us yet, so bonus points for that. Yes, that’s happened before. Ask Jim about the Delta Vega incident. None of the plant samples we have collected made us lose our inhibitions and start acting like silly children. Yes, this has happened before and no, I don’t want to talk about it. At least not in an email that my daughter’s grandmother may possibly read.

I know other members of the ship are ridiculously bored right now, I’m having a lot of fun cataloging all the new plant species that we have encountered. I’m really enjoying working with the science team. So far, we have catalogued 200 brand new species or subspecies of plant life. We’re bringing samples to do some more in-depth research once we leave. We’ve discovered a few plants that have genetic characteristics like some plant life used in fertility treatments that became endangered when Vulcan was destroyed. The team is cautiously optimistic right now.

Yes, I heard about the sleepover and I already got pictures. Those arrived here three days ago. K looks fabulous in her Captain Marvel PJs. From the pictures it seems like things went well. At least Liz looked like she was having an enjoyable time. Okay and Desi did not dive into the cake, which I consider progress.

I’m not surprised that’s my sister is utilizing her favorite coping mechanism of staying as ridiculously busy as possible to deal with her complex emotions. She was doing at least a wedding every week right after the second miscarriage. I totally expect Alicia’s funeral to be ridiculously extravagant once the ashes get there. I wonder if they’re there by now. I’m sure they will be by the time you get this letter. It’s probably going to be three or four weeks before it arrives because we’re so far out.

Yes, Jim and Spock are diving headfirst into parenthood. Fostering with the goal to adopt eventually. I think they already wanted to keep Peter even before they knew he was Jim’s biological nephew. They’re doing okay. Adapting at least at the bare minimum. No additional psychological damage has occurred to young Peter so there’s that. And yes, that’s Jim’s greatest fear and he’s been talking to both me, Leonard, and Nyota about that because we are his parent friends. Although I don’t know if I’m really qualified. I feel like surprise parenthood of an almost newborn is very different then surprise parents of a 12-year-old.

Jim should probably talk to Liz‘s mom about that or his own mom. How did movie night with Winona go? I’m kind of glad you’re friends of her. Also, I would really love to know those Kirk family stories, but I just have this feeling that it’s best not to dig deep there.
Anyway, as much as I would love to write you a two-hour long letter, I must go lead a session of the Enterprise junior fencing club. They are getting good. Do you know if we get more kids, I might be able to do a tournament? That would be fun. Rebecca wants to do an adult class, but since she’s probably going to be leaving soon, it won’t happen. Apparently, the science department is not big enough for Spock and Carol. Also, Rebecca says Carol wants to go back to school for a couple years to take the classes she wanted to take, but her father would never let her.

Anyway, love you. Kiss the babies for me. Sending you tons of positive wishes and good vibes.

Chapter 77: Day 182: Good News?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last collection of emails. You are all fabulous.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

 

From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny;
Time arrived: 08/22/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Good news

 

I know we just talked last week, but I thought I would share the good news. The in vitro was successful, and I am officially pregnant. It’s still early, and I’m not going to be telling anyone else for a couple more months. At my age, probably not until Christmas, but I need to share the excitement with somebody, and I figure you would be excited. Christina is mostly annoyed at me. How dare I get pregnant? I’m rolling my eyes so much.

 

So speaking of impending parenthood, how is life with Peter going? Are you getting the handle of work-life balance? It must be hard raising a kid on a starship, but I think you and Spock are up to the task. Spock was the most organized science officer I’ve ever had work under me. I feel like that will help.

 

Sorry, I didn’t sit in on the video call, but I felt like that should be immediate family only, and I had my ‘see if the in vitro actually worked’ checkup at the same time. Also, I didn’t want Peter to be overwhelmed. We can do a video call in September. I probably won’t be showing yet, but you and Spock will probably still be among the few that know about the baby, and I want to gush in person.

 

Jim, I wish you could’ve come down, but we both know that you need to stay in space with your husband and your new kid. Please remember that I really do appreciate the offer. However, I think I’ll be able to get my own support system here on planet together. I’ve been hanging out with Winona more, and it’s not just because I drink orange juice in front of her instead of getting a glass of wine, so she thinks I’m doing it for the sake of solidarity. Or well she did until last week when I said a little too much during our conference. I’m probably going to have to tell her and Kevin officially sooner rather than later. Oops.

 

Just because you are several light-years away, you can totally still be involved. I’ve been told virtual nursery planning is all the rage with Starfleet spouses. Although considering my age, that probably won’t happen until I hit the 30-week mark at least. Miscarriages can happen. I’ve had one before long ago during my Academy days.

In the meantime, I will send you tons of pictures and ultrasound video. You will be very involved in the process.

 

Tell Spock thank you for the digital book care package. I had no idea there were that many books about pregnancy, especially pregnancy by in vitro in your 40s. Someone even wrote a pregnancy book about being a widow and pregnant, who happens to not be your mother. Some days, I’m surprised she never wrote a book.

 

However, just because you're staying on ship doesn't mean you shouldn't think about actually finishing your master's degree. You're not that many credits from finishing because yes I have access to your transcript.

You know lots of schools offer online master’s programs for Starfleet personnel. Actually, most of the US system does. I may have hyperlinked a few programs for you. I know Carol is taking one right now because her wife told me. Yes, I’m friends with Rebecca. She also served under me for a while.

 

You’re really bright, Jim and you shouldn’t let opportunities like this go. Don’t even stop with just the master’s degree. I really do think you should go for a doctorate. Dr. Kirk has a nice ring to it, and I doubt Kevin’s going to get to that level. Although he does have a knack for foreign languages. He curses people out in Vulcan a lot during his internship. Apparently, most people don’t realize the Vulcan language has that many curse words.  Anyway, write back when you get a chance.

 

Xxxxx

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Everything is chaos
Time arrived: 8/22/2260 00:00:01

 

Hey, I know there’s no way that you would have received my last letter by now, but too much has happened in the last few days for me not to write to you. Everything is chaos, but maybe good chaos, I think.

 

So I'm not sure where to start, but maybe with the fact that Victoria showed up at Zoe's house two days ago with multiple suitcases. She was done. Like ready to file for divorce done. She also spent a good hour crying on Zoe apologizing for how she treated both her and Zach as well as me and baby K. It may have been more than an hour. Zoe isn’t entirely sure because she lost track when she started crying as well. Zoe said it was a really long night, and alcohol may have been involved at one point. According to Winona, drinking when you leave your asshole husband is a requirement. (Before she embraced sobriety anyway.)

 

I think I mentioned before that I’ve always suspected it was mostly Zack’s dad driving the suit, but that was confirmed by round two of tearful confessions yesterday. I shouldn’t be surprised. The signs were right in front of me. Victoria was always the one who actually gave K any modicum of actual affection. I know all the toys came from her. In addition to trying to go to the wedding, Victoria at least tried to talk to Zach a few times after coming out until the husband stopped it. Okay, during our movie night when the kids were at the sleepover, Winona was the one to point out to me that Victoria breaking her leg right before the wedding could not just have been a coincidence. She is sure somebody, most likely her husband, caused Victoria to break her leg and Winona would know, unfortunately. (BTW sleepover pictures attached and they are adorable.)

 

Now that she’s free, Victoria still wants to be in K’s life. She doesn’t care that she’s Zoe’s daughter instead of Zack’s. I know she wanted to before. I saw it at the mediation attempts, and I don’t want to think about what his behavior met.

 

So where do we go from here? First of all, I’m happy that I’m letting Zoe deal with the whole fertility clinic fuck up thing by herself because I don’t have the emotional bandwidth to deal with that as well. Two, Victoria has defected to our side. She’s no longer participating in the suit for the Zack embryos. Actually, she’s providing us with multiple depositions worth of evidence against her husband.

 

Though she does want visitation with K again and I think that’s a good thing because K really misses her Nana. Since she is staying with Zoe for the foreseeable future, I am willing to let her see K if Zoe is there, but no unsupervised visits. I think I’m going to ask for her to see a therapist as a condition of her having more long-term visitation. Both Winona and Ms. Lee suggested it separately. 

 

I’m going to blame all of this on Lee and Zoe getting stuck with Victoria on that elevator. I don’t know what was said, but obviously, it triggered a breakthrough. It completely torpedoed our original legal strategy, but it’s a good thing. This meant I got to spend all day today with the lawyers trying to come up with our new strategy against Mr. Jones. It’s three against one now, so that’s better. Also, if what I suspect happened did happen, I really don’t want my children anywhere near Mr. Jones. I don’t know if I completely trust Victoria though I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

 

Also, I think Zack would want me to fix things with his mom or maybe fix his mom. Is that a thing? Should that be a thing? I’m not sure. We’re just making things up as we go.

 

So, I mentioned the possibility of it last time, but I am now officially taking a leave of absence from work. Mister Jones threats at arbitration last time were not empty. The former father-in-law’s legal team is participating in a disinformation campaign against me and has been spreading some vicious lies to some of my patients. Therefore, the partners decided that they would make me take a leave of absence instead of just asking me to do so politely. They’re afraid that patients will actually listen and leave the clinic.

 

If I weren’t already considering taking a leave of absence, I would’ve been furious. Okay, I still am a little bit. However, I’m fully aware that I need to focus on the family stuff right now. And hey, if my father-in-law does manage to get me fired, well Starfleet wants me. Who knew pediatricians were needed in Starfleet? However, just knowing I have other options helps, even if I would have to spend a year taking the Starfleet xenobiology crash course for medical contractors.

 

I got to go. Zoe’s texting me. She wants my opinion on changing her last name. She also thinks I should go ahead and change my last name to Sulu now before we get engaged. Zoe is special.

 

Xxxxx

From: SuluHG2260

To: Benjamin_2254

Subject: Re: Everything Is Chaos

Time sent: 8/22/2260 00:05:54

 

Okay, I regret not spending anywhere near as much time with Zoe as I should have before coming back to Enterprise. I feel like we would have gotten along splendidly. If you’re looking for a new last name, I am completely okay with you switching to Sulu. Also, I thought we were engaged to be engaged.

 

We're talking about future kids and long-term assignments as well as significant career changes just so we can stay in each other's lives. I really want you to take the Yorktown assignment so badly. Then we would be able to at least do Starfleet instant messenger on a semi-regular basis. All of this tells me that we are both in this for the long haul. So I think it's time that we should get some paperwork to back that up.

 

Sorry that the evil in-law forced you to take a leave of absence, but maybe, in the long run, it’ll be for the best. Again, please strongly considered Yorktown.

 

I’m glad that Zach’s mom saw the light, even if it took her a while. I hope things are going better now that Victoria has switched sides. I’m sure whatever was said in that elevator was something that needed to happen. Maybe it was a conversation that needed to have been a long time ago.

 

Both your lawyer and Jim’s mom are right, you should ask Victoria to see a therapist as a condition of being around K without supervision. From what you and Liz have told me, I think her behavior may point to some bigger problems that need to be dealt with. I also wonder if she ever really processed Zack’s death completely. It’s been more than two years, and I know that Nyota still has trouble dealing with losing her best friend. Spock still misses his mom. In their cases, both had good relationships with the deceased when they lost them. Victoria didn’t have that. Obviously, she probably feels guilty, and that is something she needs to work on, with professional assistance.

 

However, your daughter deserves at least one biological grandparent who’s all together, so maybe Victoria can be that grandparent. I don’t know, but time will tell. Although I’m pretty sure my parents have already adopted K. I’ve seen the video, so maybe she already has good grandparents.

 

I genuinely believe that things will work itself out. Also, if working it out means you might end up in Yorktown soon, who am I to argue? Again, occasional Starfleet instant messenger and at the bare minimum weekly emails. Maybe even twice a year visits. Yes, I’m selling Yorktown a little too much, but I just wish you were closer. I hate that you’re going through all of this and I can’t at least hug you. I really just want to give you a hug.

 

I'll give you a virtual one anyway. I love you and will talk again soon.

 

PS: Please suck up to my daughter’s grandmother to convince her to let us do a video chat in September. I’m trying on my end, but I heard that she likes you better.

 

Xxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny;

To: Number_one_Pike

Time arrived: 08/22/2260 22:29:11

Subject: Re: Good news

 

That’s because Vulcans act like they’re all reserved, but the language is anything but. The language is old. There are a lot of words that are still in use that are not part of standard Vulcan. What do you expect from a culture that has a word that means friend, lover, and brother simultaneously?

 

I am so happy to get a message with the subject line ‘Good news.’ That doesn’t happen often. Thank you for sending me the ultrasound picture. It got here today which probably means that you uploaded a week after you sent this letter. That is one cute little squiggle. Spock thinks that you may have heard a heartbeat already. The book I looked at says that happens around the six-week mark.

 

Yes, I’ve been reading. Spock got a little crazy with the parenting books. He sent you most of the baby ones we came across. Although, I did keep a few for myself. Even if I’m going to be stuck here, I’m going to be prepared.

 

I understand being cautious after what happened with Nyota. However, I don’t think you are going to deal with any Klingons during your pregnancy. Is it impolite for me to mention that? I probably should be saying happy calming things. You're one of the strongest women that I know, so I expect this to go well.

 

Also, Christine can get over her damn self. If she doesn’t want to help, then she can just go on assignment.

 

I’m glad you’re hanging out with Winona. You’re the perfect friend right now because you can’t drink. You are also giving her another surrogate grandkid. I’ve seen pictures of her spoiling babies D and K. Also, I feel like if she were to fall spectacularly off the wagon, you would tell me instead of possibly sugarcoating it like Kevin. Also, I feel like you would actually see it when Kevin might accidentally switch into denial mode. It happened a lot growing up.

 

Instant parenthood is a weird experience. I mean, I saw what Nyota went through after Jo Jo came to live with her and Bones, but it is different when you’re going through it. I thought about that a lot in the last few weeks. Good news, Spock has gotten over his aversion to hugs. Although I believe D took care of that earlier, now Spock is letting himself be hugged by people other than me or baby D. That is a vast improvement.

 

I never thought I was going to get to be a parent. I mean, I thought it was entirely possible that Spock may eventually be chosen to be somebody’s sperm donor and that would be as close as I would get to parenthood after they told me I was now sterile. Now I think that was a silly thought because Spock could just as easily be the sperm donor to our future child as me, but maybe I was still in shock. Or perhaps I was mourning something that wouldn’t happen.

 

Did I ever tell you why Spock is so snippy around Carol, despite having a wife? Okay, now it probably has something to do with Carol taking his science job, but before then, Spock found out that in the other timeline I have a kid with her. Because apparently, other me is horrible at contraceptive hypos.

 

In this timeline, Sam was the one that got his girlfriend pregnant. Sam was also the one who went to Tarsus, but unlike me, he didn’t survive. Although, it was because he didn’t survive that the governor is dead due to Winona doing something to him that I don’t even have the clearance to read. Although, I feel like her ripping his heart out may have been a possibility.

He ripped out hers when he killed Sam. It would only be fair.

 

So yeah, I feel guilty every time I help with homework because Sam should be the one helping him. Sam should be here, and he’s not because he took my place. So now I’m here trying to be a dad, and I feel like I’m going to fuck this all up. Yes, things are going okay right now, but the other shoe is going to drop. This is my life. Of course, it will.

 

I mean, we’ve barely managed to convince Peter that we want him here because we care about him and not because Peter is Sam’s kid. Oh, and trust me I get that because sometimes it felt like Winona only saw me as an extension of her dead husband, at least not until after Tarsus as well as the Frank bullshit.

 

And yes, I’ve told Spock all this. Spock has been my rock when I’m scared. He calms me down when I’m trying to find time to do everything. He finds it for me, and I just need him so much.

 

I’m so glad that he is Captain right now because I don’t think I could handle the parent transition and being in charge. Spock can because my husband is a super Vulcan. I mean he used to be First Officer and Science Officer. I couldn’t even imagine doing my job and Carol’s job too. Of course, I don’t have a doctorate. So that’s not going to happen. (Although Carol requested a transfer to the London Academy because I think she wants to finish her retraining in person. So I have to get someone else to do that job soon because Spock can’t be his own science officer.)

 

Yes, I looked through everything you sent, and I’ll think about getting my master’s remotely, but it will have to wait until at least January. I need to let Peter get acclimated to ship life before adding anything else. If I learned anything from Winona, it’s the importance of balance and not overextending yourself.

 

Anyway, pictures attached. Most of them are from fencing class. Isn’t Peter just adorable in his little uniform?

 

To be continued

 

xxxx

 

Notes:

I originally had Carol getting off the ship in a more dramatic way. But I’ve decided against it because this story has too much drama already.

Chapter 78: Day 188: Family

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of messages. You are all lovely people.

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR

To: Peter_K

bcc: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 8/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Welcome to the family, at least we give cookies when we screw up.

 

Okay, Liz and I are writing this email together because if you got emails from the entire family, we felt maybe it would be a little overwhelming. Josephine will tell you that we usually take turns with our responses although we are always reading each other’s PADDs because that’s kind of what couples do. I’m sure you’ll see my brother and his husband doing that sort of thing. Aren’t they just nauseatingly sweet? I hope they’re keeping the PDAs to halfway decent.

 

So how has life with my brother and his husband been for you? Have they been slowly driving you crazy? I feel like Spock would be the overprotective parent. Okay, I feel like Jim would be the overprotective parent because he was like that with me. More like a parent than a big brother.

 

So, if you haven’t been informed yet, this family is a little screwed up. By screwed up, I mean everybody has their own therapist and a few of us are on antidepressants. But hey, we’re in treatment, and that's the important thing. Unfortunately, Grandma Winona didn’t get there for a while. She was trying, but the first few years after your dad died, she was kind of a mess. Okay, she drank a lot. Jim was the one picking up the pieces. That’s kind of what he does. So, he was the one who made lunches and checked my homework. Until Pike challenged him to do better when I was going into sophomore year, and the rest is history.

 

Anyway, your deluxe care package has been put in the system. Yes, there will be cookies. Okay, I gave it to Liz’s friend Cara, who will be doing her semester aboard Enterprise. She’s looking forward to it. I personally hope everything is quiet. I feel like all of you can use quiet.

 

I would ask you how classes are, but that feels like a loaded question. I’m getting ready to take the finals for my summer classes over the next few days and then preparing for the fall semester. Also, getting baby D ready for Starfleet daycare. We’re dropping her off a few hours each day to get her acclimated. That's going well. Okay, she threw a duck at somebody when I dropped her off there yesterday, and I had to go to a meeting where babies could not follow. It’s a work in progress. At least we’re still a few months off from potty training. That’s going to be a disaster.

 

Anyway, write back and feel free to ask any questions you have. I may not have the answers, but I’ll find them. I’m also uploading tons of baby pictures. Before the Kirk side of the family stopped talking to Winona, they did take a lot of pictures. I’m partial to the one of your dad holding a chocolate-covered Jim. I never did get the story of how that happened. If you ever find out the truth, please let me know. Jim is so evasive sometimes.

XXXX

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 8/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: How is parenting going?

Hey Jim, this is your mom. Still sober. Although just hearing about everything Ben’s going through with his in-laws makes drinking very tempting, but I'm getting through it. Also, alcohol-free brunches with Nhi have been helpful. Although, after her throwing up on me yesterday, she finally acknowledged that she is pregnant. I know you know which is why I mention that. No one else really knows except for the niece who really really hates you. I feel like there’s a story there, but I’m too afraid to ask.

 

Kevin’s writing Peter today. We decided it would be best that he only hears from us one at a time. Although, I have forwarded some amazing baby pictures of you and Sam. I can’t remember why you were covered in mud and chocolate in most of them. I’m thinking that’s because the drinking started a lot earlier than I thought and I wasn’t watching you guys like I should. I really should’ve gone into treatment earlier. I’m sorry.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to write to see how you were handling all of this. All of this must be overwhelming. However, I know you will be a good dad because you really did raise Kevin due to me being too deep into a bottle to do anything. Your grilled cheese was legendary.

 

At the same time, I am also worried because this isn’t just a new child, but also contending with the ghost of Sam. I’m glad Peter looks like you and not Sam. It’s almost easier. You having George's eyes always made things difficult for me when you were little, and that wasn't fair to you. I don't want Peter to have to deal with that type of baggage. No child should feel like they’re just a replacement. I feel like I need to apologize for more awful things I did in your childhood because I think there were some moments like that with you.

 

At least I set a good example of what not to do. You’ll do better than me in that regard, I think. You also have Spock. I know I was very negative in the beginning, probably because I knew about him choking you, but I’ve revised my opinion over time. Also, I’m pretty sure all choking is now very consensual, but never ever confirm that. I don’t want to know about your kinks. Just keep it safe, sane, and consensual.

 

Anyway, feel free to write, and if things go badly, go for the instant messaging option. I hope things don’t go badly. Fingers crossed.

 

Xxxxx

 

From: Peter_K

To: Kevin KR

cc: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 8/28/2260 18:13:01

Subject: Re: Welcome to the family, at least we give cookies when we screw up.

 

Classes are okay. I miss my friends from before, but Jay is friendly and kind. Thankfully,  he doesn't ask too many questions about why I'm now living with an uncle that I've only recently met. Of course, that makes sense, considering that everybody in my class has lost a parent. Some in the battle of Vulcan, others to their own choices. I guess I’m more like the Ashleys then Jay and Josephine. I don’t know if that’s a good or terrible thing yet. It just is.

 

I’m sure Margarita is going to want to discuss it. I’ve been spending a lot of time with Margarita. We're working on art therapy. She wants me to write as well, in a diary, like Josephine is doing. I'm trying to decide if I want to do that or not.

 

We got the pictures about three days ago. Josephine says she usually gets pictures from you guys of baby D all the time without context. According to Spock, the images don’t go through the same security screening as the letters. I’m a little concerned about the fact that the messages are being screened in the first place.

 

Jim doesn’t know why he’s covered in chocolate in that picture. He doesn’t remember the incident at all. Spock says that’s normal because he would have been only a year old at the time the image was taken. Jim thinks it's from his first not-a-birthday party.  Jim doesn't celebrate his birthday on his birthday because that was when his father died. Also,  he was always forced to do "soul-crushing" remembrance ceremonies on that day for a man he doesn’t even know. So, hey at least Jim understands what it’s like to be the child of a dead man. Spock apparently knows what it’s like to lose your mom under the worst circumstances. I cry a lot.

 

I'm still not referring to Jim or Spock as my uncles.  I'm not ready yet because I don't really know them that well. We’re working on it, but it’s a slow process. I don’t even know you that well, but Josephine says that you’re a good listener, so that’s why I’m writing this. Excuse me for rambling. You know, on second thought, I’m not going to send…

 

Xxx

 

From: Peter_K

To: Kevin KR

cc: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 8/28/2260 18:45:41

Subject: Re: Welcome to the family, at least we give cookies when we screw up.

 

Voice recognition software is evil. I was trying to delete that email and rewrite it, and instead, the computer interpreted my use of the word “send” as a command. Maybe you shouldn't just turn the microphone on and start dictating when you have a lot to say. We tried recalling, but apparently, that doesn't work very well with Jim’s special email system. Jim also said that if I just saved the thing to my draft emails, there would be a 50-50 shot that it would have been sent anyway.

 Apparently, that’s how Jim and Spock fell in love. I kind of want to hear that story. Maybe I’ll ask them tonight to tell me.

 

They seem in love. Although they are trying to keep the PDAs to a minimum, you can still tell. A few Vulcans lived on the colony, and I know what the finger thing is. Anyway, thanks for listening. 

 

Maybe I should get the diary. There is less of a chance of people reading things I'm not ready for them to see if I write it in hard copy. Good thing, mom felt I should learn to write. This is just one more critical life skill she left me with. I wish she was still here. Excuse me while I cry into my PADD again.

XXXX

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Time sent: 8/28/2260 23:12:01

Subject: Re: How is parenting going?

 

Thanks for writing. Glad the sobriety thing is still working. We are okay, and no, I'm not just saying we are okay because I don’t want to give you a genuine answer. I think we are okay for the moment. Only occasional crying jags.  Peter came to me for computer help. He is very upset to find out that he can’t recall messages through my special email system. Well, not the ones going outside the ship. I think Kevin is going to get an honest response to his email.

 

I also asked about how Spock and I got together. I gave him the clean version. You’re not the only one who doesn’t want details. Yes, I will never share them with you.

 

Seriously, did you guys have to send those pictures? I mean, Spock thinks it’s cute that I’m running around naked, covered in mud, but me not so much. Now I’m kind of upset that most of his childhood pictures were destroyed when Vulcan was. I’m still trying to find out if anything was saved on a server off-planet.

 

Also, I’m still mad grandma Kirk threw away my Captain Marvel costume. I think she threw away all the superhero costumes, but that one was just extra pretty.

 

Peter is concerned with us only seeing him as a Sam replacement. I think maybe he felt like his mom saw him that way. He’s not exactly the most forthcoming child, but I think he felt like she only saw him as the last piece of Sam. I really don’t want Peter to feel like that because you’re right, it is an awful feeling. I’m glad you realize a lot of what was going on when I was a kid.

 

I understand why things happened the way they did. I would be an absolute mess if I'd lost Spock. He was a mess when I died, and it was only temporary. I wish that you would’ve gotten treatment earlier, but it’s more important that you’re getting treatment now. Margarita says you can’t change the past, only the future. Well you can change the past, but you'll create an entirely different timeline, and well here we are with Vulcans being an endangered species, but me and Spock having our shit together.

 

In a lot of ways taking care of Kevin, Post Tarsus prepared me for this. I'm used to dealing with quite sulky preteens, even before last summer with Jo Jo. I don't feel entirely like I've dived into the deep end. Also, unlike with Kevin, I have Spock, which has been good. He will listen to all my crazy scared rants and talk me through my fears and hopes. I need that right now.

 

Unfortunately,  this situation is bringing back some Sam memories for me. Sometimes I feel like Sam died in my place, and I was supposed to be on Tarsus. I know for sure I was supposed to be on Tarsus, and if I was there, he would still be alive, and Peter would’ve had his real dad.

 

But that’s not where things are, so I must work in the world I live in. Maybe sometimes I wish things were different, but other days I’m glad they are the way they are. I have Kevin, and I have Spock, things that my other self didn't have.

 

I’m glad you’re there for Nhi. She’s going to need it because Christine is not a cheerleader. Yes, don’t ever ask me why I don’t want to be anywhere near her niece. However, feel free to look at the police report. Or maybe not. I don’t want Kevin to have to get you out of lockup if you punch her. It’s been resolved and let us never speak of it again.

 

Anyway, Peter pictures attached from when we were on the Starbase. I may have bought him too much, but it’s not like we can go out to the store at any time. I'm probably going to be shipping you guys some artwork. Peter is very productive, and even being the Captain's husband, space is limited.

Anyway, write back when you have a chance.

To be continued

Chapter 79: Day 194: Greetings from the suburbs

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of letters. You are all fabulous. So, here is what happened in Georgia.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: SulxuHG2260

Time arrived: 9/3/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Greetings from the pretentious suburbs of Atlanta

 

Hey, greetings from the overly pretentious suburbs of Atlanta. Your kid is having the time of her life. I, on the other hand, am looking forward to the minute we get back to San Francisco. This morning’s country club brunch with the various moms of girls that did Jo Jo dirty went ridiculously badly. However, I did not pour my mimosa on anyone. It’s a miracle.

 

Of course, they knew all about the drinking and the abuse. The country club moms didn't shut up about it. They didn't do shit to stop it, but they have no trouble telling me, someone they barely know all about it. I am so happy that baby D did toss grape jelly on their beautiful white jackets. So well deserved. She’s my favorite.

 

I was chided for bringing a one-year-old to brunch. Seriously, the country club moms of Sandy Springs can all get fucked. This is why I'm writing this letter to you and not Jo Jo. I must come up with a cleaner version of what happened, or maybe I'll just send her pictures of everybody covered in blueberry preserve. Yeah, I think that's the best course of action. Perhaps I'll have Kevin write the next letter. We must make sure our space kids are doing well.

 

So, we are in the ridiculously wealthy part of Atlanta because the custody chaos has taken a turn for the better. I’m sure Ben has told you that Zach’s mom defected to the other side. Of course, he probably doesn’t know that she did defect because Ms. Lee told her all about her ridiculously abusive childhood with her homophobic father and her mother that turned a blind eye so often that she swallowed a bottle of pills. Survived, but was left for next year’s model. Then it just gets worse from there from what I understand. Lee won't give any additional details, and I get that, but it was a wake-up call for Mrs. Johnson.

 

Unfortunately, Zach’s father won’t settle. So, trial here we come. But hey, it won't happen for a while, so at least it gave us time for this trip . It’s nice to have a break after finals. Although, I wish it were more of a break. The new semester is just around the corner.

 

I have to go. Some asshole is banging against the door. Fuck, I think that it is Jo Jo’s grandfather. This is going to be ugly.

 

XXXX

 

From: Legal Queen 
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: guess what? I have a new job
Time arrived: 9/3/2260 00:00:01

 

Hey, I am so sorry for not writing sooner. I am sure you’re aware that I have a brand-new job in a brand-new city. My client had a teleconference with your favorite fencing instructor last week, so obviously, word of what happened has traveled fast. I just wanted to keep it to myself for a few days, in case the judge tried to sabotage it, which he did.

 

Thankfully, the judge didn’t stand a chance against Shawn. I love my new boss. I now have a video of Shawn telling Judge Lee to go fuck himself, literally. Shawn is awesome. He truly understands what I’m going through, considering he comes from his own family of overly controlling lawyers.

 

His husband Cory is also fabulous. He makes the best scones. It feels like I can be myself at this firm. So, I’m looking forward to the new job despite the complexity of what I’m working on. You’ll have to get details from your fencing instructor since attorney-client privilege is a thing.

 

I’m back in Georgia now packing up my condo. Liz and Kevin came with me, which turned out to be a good thing. I think they mostly came to tell some of your former social circle to fuck off, but it’s been good to have someone else here, mainly because Judge Lee stopped by.

 

So obviously your grandpa is very unhappy about me leaving, but Kevin and Liz took care of it. Tell your uncle Jim thank you for putting Kevin in Junior Brazilian jujitsu classes. Or maybe that was Liz’s mom who was responsible for that. Regardless, it was useful.

 

I think the judge is just shocked that I’m leaving. What did he expect after getting me fired from my firm? That I would just go join him at the family practice? That’s not going to happen. The judge can drop dead for all I care. I am so done with him. I'm going to put my life together in San Francisco with my new job and brand-new apartment. After I sell my condo, I’m not coming back. I’m done.

 

So how is your life? I have heard that the evil Jeremy is long gone, and you have a new friend Peter? How is that going? I’ve also heard lots about your teacher Gina. Apparently, she’s friends with Liz’s sister. Hey, did you get your birthday present? Did this email get to you before or after your birthday? Happy b-day anyway. I hope you had a good time.

Write to me when you get a chance. I know you’re far out, but I would love to hear from you.

 

  1. Send me pictures. I want to personalize my office, and since I'm probably not going to have a girlfriend anytime soon, pictures of my favorite niece are a must. I bet you look adorable in your Starfleet student uniform.

 

XXXX

 

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: Re: Guess what? I have a new job
Time arrived: 9/3/2260 17:32:23

 

 

Three days late. We had cake, and the Ashleys gave me a makeover. Lots of glitter and lipgloss were involved. It made dad cry because the thought of me becoming a teenager scares him. He does that some days. I sent the pictures as a separate upload because apparently, that works faster than regular email. I think it's because images don't have to go through the same censorship/ security screening protocols as a traditional email. Which is ridiculous because you can transmit a lot of classified material in an image or at least that's what Uncle Jim says. He probably would know.

 

I heard about San Francisco and the new job from Mr. Sulu and Uncle Jim. I’m glad you got out of there. You need to be away from the judge. He was always awful to mom. I saw him hit her a couple of times. She told me not to say anything about that, but it doesn’t matter now, does it? Ashley two says that it's more important to save yourself sometimes. Jay said something similar. Considering his dad killed himself, he understands. Too much, really. Sometimes, I think that mom’s death was just suicide by alcohol.

 

No, I haven’t got your presents yet. Unfortunately, because our Star Base visit was not planned out way in advance, the packages weren’t waiting for us. I’m sure we’ll get everything in October when we get new team members. We might get a few more kids. Fingers crossed nobody is as evil as Jeremy. The crew switch out was supposed to happen in September, but Deva (I probably misspelled that) happened. So now it’s October.

 

Peter is wonderful. Sad, but wonderful. He’s Uncle Jim’s nephew that none of us knew about until last month. If we did know about Peter, I feel like we would've had some playdates before. Uncle Jim now has custody because Peter's mom died recently, and Jim’s brother Sam was gone long before that. He died on Tarsus keeping my friends Kevin and Liz alive, apparently. That’s also where both of my friends became orphans, but their adopted families have been great. Blood and family are two different things. We know that better than a lot of people. Too much, really.

 

Jay and Ashley 2 are great, but they're older than me, and it's nice to be able to hang out with someone my own age or close to it anyway. We talk about comic books a lot and movies. Okay, there may even be some fanfiction. You know that there are Enterprise RPF stories. I can’t read any because Uncle Jim has a nanny filter on my PADD that block such things. What’s wrong about me reading a story about lemons?  It is less restricted than what mom had monitoring me, but still there. I’m 12 now. They should trust me more, but they told me what really happened to Peter’s mom, so I guess that’s a start.

 

I also know some of what's going on with your client. Apparently, baby K's grandfather is evil. Not entirely on the level of the judge, but very close. Of course, the judge was a special type of evil.

In addition to the pictures I sent earlier, I also plan to send you some more artwork as soon as we hit the Star Base. I’m planning to have a whole box of stuff ready for you. I uploaded some images in the meantime. One is from Peter. I think he’s getting the handle of the art therapy thing. Maybe I’ll work on the journal next. We’ll figure it out as we go.

 

Anyway, good luck in San Francisco. Also, I hope you sell the house fast.

 

XXXX

From: SulxuHG2260

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 9/3/2260 22:14:01

Subject: Re: Greetings from the pretentious suburbs of Atlanta

 

I had a fencing lesson with Jo Jo earlier, and she told me about the letter she received from her aunt from later in the day, so I kind of know how the visit with the judge turned out. I am so glad Sue talked your mom into taking those self-defense classes. Obviously, you went with the pictures because I’ve seen them, and they are adorable.  I’m neither shocked nor surprised my kid is covered in jelly or covering other people in jam and apparently, they deserved it.

 

Don’t tell Jo Jo that other people knew what was going on and did nothing. I think that would set back the progress that she’s been making. She's doing a lot better than she was back in February. She has friends. They have inside jokes,, and I occasionally see smiles. She's almost like a typical 12-year-old.

 

I’m not surprised that family is fucked up. Jo Jo has said some things, and so have Nyota and Leonard. We are all friends up here, and I need to spend more time with actual grown-ups. Pav is still rebound hooking up with like half the ship. He's too young to really know how to deal with a broken heart. Nyota is grateful that I am getting Josephine out of her shell and giving her another way to channel her anger. She has a lot of it, but so does Peter.

 

Your nephew is doing good by the way. Well, as good as can be expected given the circumstances. It's been almost a month, and he's coping. He may have stabbed the practice dummy a little hard, but that’s understandable.

 

Yes, I did hear from Ben about the custody situation, but he sent his letter just a few days after we talked so obviously this is a more recent update. Yeah, I’m not surprised it’s going to go to trial. If I need to do video testimony, let me know. I know there are provisions for that.

 

I’m kind of surprised that the lawyers haven’t been in contact with me directly. Although maybe that’s because I’m far away and not living with Ben right now. If I wasn’t doing this assignment, I think we would be living together. I think we would be engaged. I think we’re already engaged to be engaged. It’s weird. I think I see this going that way. Your sister has this fantasy that we will all end up on Yorktown together. It’s a good fantasy. I really don’t like being away from everybody so much.

 

Anyway, this next part is for the baby.

 

PS: Keep an eye on baby D if she’s around K’s grandmother. I’m not entirely sure if I trust the woman yet. I know she went through a lot, but I’m still upset on Zack’s behalf that he had to deal with her apathy at the very least.

 

Dear Demora:

I saw your pictures. Aren’t you just precious? You knew those women deserved to be covered in jam. Remember that if you see something terrible happening, act. Just don’t stand by and gossip about it. You can change things.

 

Give extra hugs to Ben. He’s going to need them. Also, your cousins. I’m worried about them because they lost their other mommy. I sent your aunt a video file because well, that stuff gets there sooner. I should send you something too. Maybe fencing practice? Would you like that? I know you have your daddy bear reading to you. This would be more of that.

 

Work has been good. Quiet really. Lots of research. Daddy helped catalog 20 new plant species this week. Only one crew member was stupid enough to eat one of these plants, and thankfully, the only consequence was they watched their hand move for two hours. A few members on the botany team think it’s Quaaludes.

Okay, maybe you're too young for that story.

 

 Anyway, hugs and kisses. I’ll see if we can videoconference again in October.

 

To be continued

Chapter 80: Day 197: Parenting is Hard

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all lovely.

We have a slightly different format for this chapter. Jim and Spock will be utilizing deep space text messaging. Because of course, Jim managed to figure out a way to send discrete messages to Spock, while on an uncharted planet. It’s not paranoia if they’re out to get you and therefore he doesn’t want Starfleet to read what he’s writing.

Chapter Text

 

James: I know it’s after midnight, sweetie, but I wanted to give you an update because it’s hard for me to sleep without you. Day one on the planet has gone well. The team has done so much work down here. It is an M class planet as we suspected. The luscious plant life, edible vegetation, and a mineral that we may be able to use as a power source will probably put this on Starfleet’s ‘want to colonize’ list because of course. Although, I’m glad to be down here getting to work on it firsthand.

 

Cuddle Spock: You are glad that you were able to turn over your HR duties to others.

 

James: You know me so well, Cuddle bunny. The fact that there are no deadly dangerous creatures anywhere, especially of the red variety is a bonus. Although I prefer the cold to the sweltering heat.

 

Cuddle Spock: I am never going to be forgiven for the Delta Vega transgression?

 

James: I totally forgive you because I know that you were having a moment. Although, if you really want to make it up to me, you can tell me what you’re wearing. Or send topless selfies.

 

James: Keep it tasteful, though. Or not, since this is not going anywhere near the Starfleet servers.

 

Cuddle Spock: I should have realized that because you are messaging me on our own devices on a non-Starfleet frequency, you wish to engage in communicator sex. I blame Nyota for setting this up.

 

James: You’re so smart, sweetie. This was all me. Okay mostly. Yes, Nyota helped because she is a goddess.

 

Cuddle Spock: I do not wish to engage in this activity currently or at all.

 

James: Oh, come on, I send you slightly inappropriate emails all the time when you’re on the bridge. In Vulcan, but still, I do wipe everything. I am going to be down here a week. I also have a tent all to myself, and Scotty guaranteed me it was soundproof. So, let’s begin this by telling me what my oh so ridiculously sexy husband is wearing right now.

 

Cuddle Spock: I do not see the need to tell you what I am wearing when I am aware that you are dressed in your standard-issue mission wear.

 

James: Actually, I am wearing shorts because it’s after midnight and still 33°C. In my mind, I’m picturing you wearing something similar, even though I know you’re wearing your standard-issue Starfleet pajamas with the nano-fiber that keeps you extra toasty, so I don’t sweat into the blankets when we are sleeping. I only want to sweat in bed when orgasms are involved.

 

James: And since I can’t sleep without you and you’re aware of the one thing that always puts me to sleep, I thought you could help.

 

Cuddle Spock: I am unable to assist you, due to being informed by the computer in Peter’s room that he is having a nightmare.

 

James: Which means you need to check on him?

 

James: It’s not unexpected. He’s been having a lot of nightmares. I mean his mom and a lot of his friends died. So, of course, he is having nightmares. He did see his mom attacked by the evil parasites of death.

 

James: Hey, did you get the kid back to sleep? That totally killed the mood, but the kid comes first. I want to get him a Teddy bear, but I feel like he would say he was too old for it. What do you think?

 

James: So, it’s been half an hour, and I probably could hack into Peter’s security feed, but I feel that would be a total violation of his privacy. The nightmare protocol feels terrible enough. Still necessary, after he broke the lamp last week.

 

James: Okay, it’s now been 45 minutes and no update. I am a little concerned and halfway tempted to have engineering being me back.

 

Cuddle Spock: Hey, Jim, it’s Margarita. Spock told me to grab his personal PADD and contact you. He doesn’t want it on the record. Come back to the ship. Peter had a panic attack. Spock needs you because it turns out Vulcans don’t do well with panic attacks.

 

James: Fuck. On my way up. I’ll be back to the ship in 15.

To be continued.

Chapter 81: Day 198: Clingy Koala Bear

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all fabulous.

Chapter Text

 

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 9/7/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Email takes forever in space

 

Yes, the delay in letters is making things weird. We even had our video conference by the time I got your message. Peter was adorable, and Liz wants to cuddle him.

 

I’ve already written to Peter. I’m sure you know about that. I have not got a response yet, but fingers crossed. We decided not to overwhelm him and only send one letter at a time. I think Liz is responding next and that will leave mom for last. Mom can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I am not looking forward to her being on campus. I’m so glad I’m not on the engineering track, and I already did my basic science classes.

 

Peter’s care package is ready to roll and will be hitching a ride with one of Liz’s friends that were assigned to Enterprise for the semester. Don’t worry; she’s cool. I heard you’re getting to the base during the first week of October. I added multiple comic book data chips. Boom and IW D stuff included. Okay, I may have included the complete collection of Darkwing Duck comics in there. A few of those issues got me through the dark hell of Tarsus. Yes, we are sending a lot of art supplies and toys, along with snacks. Okay, also a truckload of premium chocolate for your husband. I have a feeling that Liz had to work with her mom to get all that stuff delivered.

 

I’ve been hearing whispers of Enterprise getting a two-month assignment on new Vulcan. Okay, I listened to the Admiral discussing this during when I was at the office yesterday. I think your father-in-law might be pulling strings or conspiring with my future mother-in-law. Who knows. Regardless, I feel like your hubby is going to need a truckload of chocolate to deal with everything.

 

So baby D is adjusting to daycare. It helps that her BFF is there sometimes. Although, since daddy is taking a leave of absence to deal with custody shenanigans, she’s only there when he is spending quality time with the lawyers. I have 50 credits on the Admiral getting him to agree to be the head of pediatric medicine of Yorktown by November at the latest. Tell Sulu that the custody case is in a moment of calm right now, but that’s because they’re getting ready to go to trial. Maybe. It’s complicated. They go before the judge soon. I don’t remember exactly when.

 

I survived finals. I don’t know what my grades are yet. Although, I’m never taking another language class in summer. Seriously, why did I think this was a good idea on top of the internship and the babies? I’m making better choices next summer.

 

I think there’s a good chance that I’m going to end up doing my semester on the ship over summer 2261. I was supposed to do it in February, but with the baby, I have to defer. But my advisor is a prick, and I am uncertain he will let me postpone until summer because heaven forbid, it looks like I’m getting any special treatment. That would be awful. I need a new advisor. Preferably one who doesn’t think I’m at the Academy solely to ride your coattails.

 

Speaking of nepotism accusations, even though my brother is no longer Captain I can’t apply for Enterprise because my brother-in-law is Captain. However, I am allowed to apply for the Hamilton, as long as I don’t marry Liz before then. And considering if I do that before graduation, my brand-new mother-in-law will send me to Delta Vega, I know better. Pike suggested that I apply for the Discovery. Chris spent some time on that ship while you were at the Academy. So what are your opinions on the Discovery and the Captain? Any other ship suggestions. Anybody I should avoid?

 

Yes, we all know about the pregnancy. I lost a pair of shoes. Mom is happy for her friend. Chrissy is pissed, which gives me glee because I can’t stand her. Like not everything is about you, and you should be supportive of your family. I can’t believe I slept with her. Liz will never let me forget that terrible decision. She calls it my Mrs. Robinson phase. I had to look up the reference, and then we watched the original, not the remake from 2250. It wasn’t quite that bad.

 

Now, on the other hand, our mom has been eager to help Nhi despite not being family. Okay, and it gets her away. I love her helping with babysitting. However, I can only do so many family movie nights when I would prefer to cuddle with my girlfriend after the baby falls asleep instead.

 

Mom is surprisingly still sober, which is probably why I put up with so many family movie nights. I was worried that finding out about Peter would drag everything out from Tarsus. But so far it’s been relatively okay, only extra therapy sessions for everyone. Maybe the Academy job is right for her. Again, something else to focus on besides Sam related trauma.

 

Btw, she had to send a lawyer and bail money to Georgia. The Lee family is fucked up. I am genuinely surprised that Aunt Lee is as well-adjusted as she is. That family sees your therapist four times a week awful. The fact that she only sees her twice a week is an absolute miracle.

 

Her dad is an asshole, an abusive, controlling asshole. His only redeeming quality was he never molested his children. Hit them, trigger extreme bouts of internalized homophobia, get somebody fired from her law firm but not inappropriately touch. Even evil has some standards.

 

Oh, the Judge also showed up while we were packing and demanded that his daughter come back to him like she was some piece of property. I didn’t mean to choke out the geriatric judge who is fucking someone who is my age. (I think my girlfriend might be older.) It just happened when he tried to attack his daughter (his full-grown daughter). After what I heard happen to Peter’s aunt, I wasn’t going to take any chances. Thanks for the Brazilian jujitsu classes.

 

So good news, Shawn is a God among all lawyers and got all the charges dismissed. Okay, it probably helps that Starfleet is looking at expanding their footprint in the Atlanta Metro and well the leaders have learned their lesson from mistakes made in the early 21st century. Or maybe we got a judge that just hated Judge Lee. Who knows.

 

Anyway, I’m taking this week to recover before classes start again. I’m taking mostly classes for the dip core. I don’t have to take the Kobayashi Maru, which BTY is now an actual class with other requirements. Liz wants me on her crew, which she gets to choose entirely now. Since we are just dating and not married, I think it’s going to be allowed. Liz wants me to be her first officer for the simulation. Apparently, I’m the person she trusts the most.

 

Xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Kevin KR

Time sent: 9/7/2260 11:22:01

Subject: Re: Email takes forever in space

 

Okay, I seriously doubt that all you want to do is cuddle, but you’re my baby brother, so I don’t want to read more into that, bad hook up decisions notwithstanding. I am so sending Sue a copy of The Idiot’s Guide to Nontraditional Families for her upcoming b-day. And we’re sending Ben a copy of The Idiot’s Guide to Surviving Your Former In-Laws. Yes, there’s a chapter in the book about widowhood and complicated custody situations.

 

I am not surprised at all that you ended up getting arrested. Nor am I surprised that you had to ask Winona to get you out. She is probably not going to let that go for a very long time. The fact that you got arrested for defending someone should keep the lectures down to a minimum. Is some asshole going to try to bring you up before judiciaries even though charges were dropped? Judiciaries at Starfleet Academy are not fun. In between being related to Spock and me and dating the daughter of the head of Starfleet, I feel like they would be awful on you to prove that there is no nepotism. It’s all such bullshit. BTW, get another advisor.

 

Spock says I’m not allowed to ask you what the fuck you were thinking by sleeping with Christina. I want to ask it so badly, but I’m not going to. Be thankful that my sex issues are the reason why I never actually slept with her. Still had to get a restraining order. Besides, I feel like Liz has already said everything I could say, and she can physically slap you upside your head. Your dating so up it’s ridiculous. Don’t Fuck things up with her. You can never do better than Liz ever.

 

Spock also says I can’t forward you my asshole Captain list to you. Although, this is because Spock is halfway convinced that our emails are still being monitored, despite precautions. He recommends that you talk to Pike and your future mother-in-law. Although he does recommend the Discovery, possibly because the current captain was his foster sister for six months, she had no trouble going up against his bullies. Which may be why the Grayson family was only allowed to keep her with them for six months. We both agree that you shouldn’t apply for the Hamilton because of nepotism accusations.

 

Yes, agreed to be Liz’s first officer for her Kobayashi Maru trial. I was told it would be a bit different like there’s a chance in hell of surviving in addition to the changes to make it more like an actual class than just a Academic mind fuck. A Tarsus level chance in hell of surviving, but you guys are pros at those types of situations.

 

What is the semester going to be like for you guys, balancing classes and baby D? I’m a little worried but with Ben taking a step back because of the custody bullshit does that mean he can help you guys?

 

I am glad she’s still sober. She sent a letter last week. She’s okay, and I’m so happy she’s okay. She is also looking forward to seeing what happens while she’s at the Academy. I bet you’re glad you didn’t listen to me when I tried to get you in the engineering track. Now you won’t have to cross her path.

 

Work currently consists of 90% HR stuff as we get ready for the October switch out. We’re losing 20% of our current crew with only 15% of it being replaced. We are also getting 50 cadets, despite our deep space mandate. I hate HR stuff. Spock was so much better at it.

 

I was supposed to spend a week on the planet with the surveying team, but we decided to send Sulu in my place. Okay on day one Peter had a panic attack, and then Spock panicked a lot, and there was crying, and we decided Sulu could be in charge, and I would do HR so I could stay on the ship were my kid could find me if he has a nightmare. I am so glad that nobody got stranded in a cave, this time. Separation anxiety is something that we’re going to have to work on so much. I should know better. You were like a clingy koala for the first year.

 

Yes, I know about the letter to Peter. I had to teach him how to recall. Turns out that’s not possible with outside messages. Also, Spock made me make sure Peter wasn’t subjected to the bug that forwards his letters to people even if you don’t hit the send button. I mean that’s how we ended up together, but apparently, that’s a no from the spouse. I should not be surprised.

 

I am looking forward to October in getting our box of goodies. Spock thanks you in advance for the chocolate. We’re going to need it because I’m sure we are going to be spending quality time on the colony again. Well, he’s going to need it. I get Vulcan headache medication. I need  Blondie’s right now. (If I can get a babysitter to watch Peter while I indulge, so that’s not happening anytime soon.)

 

We’re getting three more kids. Fingers crossed we get no one anywhere near as awful as Jeremy. If I ever find out who cursed us with Jeremy, I will make their life as miserable as humanly feasible.

 

Anyway, I have a family session with margarita right now that I need to get to because Peter is a clingy Kuala bear.

To be continued 

Chapter 82: Day 202: You have been busy

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 9/11/2260 00:00:01
Subject: You have been busy

That was a lot to unpack in one letter. I’m going to start with the safe subject of congratulating you on no longer having a Jeremy. I hope the quasi-military school will help him work through his issues. Sorry, there’s still members of Starfleet who are petty, vindictive, assholes who are trying to undermine the program. However, as always, they’re underestimating you. Now that Jeremy has gone, how is the program going?

So, Sam had a kid that you just found out about that may have even been born after he died. How do you feel about this? Is it bringing up memories of George? I’m probably going to have to write to your mom. I will write to your mom as soon as I’m done writing this email because this is a lot. That’s not even touching the fact that you are fostering a 12-year-old.

Losing Arlene was probably hard for you too. I know you hate losing people on missions in general. The fact that Arlene was the one who brought you to my wife in the first place probably makes everything worse. She was a beautiful person. Arlene didn’t deserve the things she went through. I knew about what happened to her sister; It was an absolute tragedy. It was the talk of Riverside for months, if not years. I didn’t know about Peter. She did an excellent job of keeping the cameras off him during the trial.

I’m not surprised that you’re stepping up. This is who you are, Jim Kirk. You have a saving people thing, or maybe a trying to fix things thing. You’re also ridiculously loyal to your family. So, you becoming a foster parent is a logical step. I know you knew how screwed up the family was before you knew about the murder, so I know you wouldn’t let any kid go through that. I also know that you wouldn’t just let Peter go into foster care. That’s not who you are and I know your husband will follow you in this. You support each other. No matter what.

Don’t be scared. You did raise Kevin, and you did an excellent job. So, I think that you’re going to do great at this parenthood thing, but you probably have doubts. That’s normal. Just don’t let your insecurities overwhelm you.

How are you feeling right now? Are you overwhelmed? I knew you think you’re going to screw up, but I’m sure you won’t. You were an excellent captain to 1000 people so I feel like some of those skills are transferable to teenagers. I know you managed to be a good uncle to Jo Jo. Now you need to build on that skill set.

Fortunately, unlike with Kevin, you have Spock to help you with raising Peter. It always helps when you have a partner. You and Spock have a great partnership, so I think together both of you can get through this. As I stated earlier, you support each other in all things.

Remember, I’m always here to help you work with troubled adolescents. Although I’m sure, Margarita already has a strategy together. Now I’m going to do everything possible to make sure Margarita stays on Enterprise. I’m sure it’s probably going to be September by the time you get this. Are you going to get a second therapist for Enterprise? I feel like you need one more. I felt like you needed two therapists when I was on board, but it’s probably worse now with everything that’s happened in the last year and a half.

I’m glad Spock already knows about his new foster sister. Do you think that you’ll get to visit the colony soon? Spock probably wants to meet his sister, and I want to meet my grandbaby. Yep, I’m counting Peter as a grandkid because it’s the only way I’m going to get one. I would do well at grandma hood.

I know that Spock’s dad knows about Peter, but what about the counterpart? I got some cute pictures of your new kid. I want to put them on my desk. However, I feel like if I do that, then the counterpart could recognize him, therefore resulting in me having a very awkward conversation with the Vulcan. Maybe you should tell him if you haven’t already done so. I know that you and the hubby are doing minimal contact with the counterpart, despite him dragging Kevin’s ass to the wedding. But maybe this would be an appropriate time to drop a line. Just a thought at least.

Anyway, I demand more pictures. Also, keep me abreast on the latest Enterprise gossip. Colony life can be tedious, and you keep me entertained.

Xxxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time arrived: 9/11/2260 12:21:51
Subject: Re: You have been busy.

For some reason, I’m not entirely inclined to believe that colony life is that boring. You are pretty much creating the field of Vulcan psychology from scratch. That must make for some exciting research papers if nothing else. Of course, my husband is probably the only one who finds research papers fascinating. So, I’ll forgive you.

Of course, there is a chance that we might see for ourselves in a few months. Kevin overheard some chatter while working in his future mother-in-law’s office that we might end up spending two months on the colony to do some work. That seems a bit at odds with standing orders, but there are several planets near the colony that need to be explored. I’m pretty sure the Council only found out about the planet due to the counterpart’s experiences the first time around. At the very least, I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up going in that direction for a little while.

The program is thriving now that Jeremy is off the ship. Come October, we are getting four more kids. Originally it was three, but Starfleet approved my request for another therapist, a Dr. Diaz. She was Liz’s therapist after the Tarsus fuck up, in addition to teaching Margarita at the Academy, so we know we can trust her. She will be bringing her daughter Carmen along. Thankfully, she’s not another Ashley. I still don’t know how we ended up with three Ashleys. I think it was part of Starfleet psychological warfare. Thankfully after 200 some days, they manage to grow on you. We bonded over dead parents and dreadful childhoods.

I’m not even surprised about the Jeremy thing. I mean after the therapist infiltration, nothing, and I mean nothing surprises me. I’m not mad, just a little disappointed. I mean, I know they hate me. I got a captaincy too young and too many people believe I only ended up where I did because I’m good at sucking cock. You know I don’t mean that as hyperbole or as a metaphor.

So, I have enemies. I accept that, but they shouldn’t take their anger at me out on the rest of Starfleet. Things are a mess between the Vulcan incident and the Marcus fuck up. Starfleet needs more people, and if we don’t create more family-friendly policies, we are not going to get the people we need. I’d rather have a 40 something with two kids than someone straight out of the Academy that’s only Starfleet experience is their semester on board. We’re getting 50 interns in October for a three-month rotation; the headache is already forming. I think this is more of Starfleet’s psychological warfare.

BTW, it looks like Kevin will be doing that next summer, maybe. My baby is growing up. Kevin did give me some necessary skills, but this is very different than before. More room to fuck up and we fucked up.

I was supposed to spend a week camping out on the planet, but Peter couldn’t last a day with me not being around. Nightmares, which is a given, considering how his mom died. That led to a panic attack and Spock bringing me back and sending Sulu in my place. There was a lot of crying involved. Mostly mine, because I feel like a failure. I mean we talked about me going beforehand, and I thought he would be okay, but apparently, I’m not as well versed in reading 12-year-olds as I thought I would be.

It’s been a few days since I got back, and he is still being a koala baby. I’m personally surprised he hasn’t tried to sleep in our bed, but that might be because he doesn’t know us that much yet. So, I learned that Peter is not ready for us to not be around yet. It won’t be too hard to stay on board with our current assignment, but it may be a problem later.

I will write the counterpart. If you don’t tell him, then Spock’s dad will. I think they’re friends. Or as close to friends as you can be with another version of your youngest son. Sarek knows, so I expect him to have baby pictures out as well. He’s a bragger.

Spock and his dad talk a lot. The perks of being an ambassador. I wish I could call you, but it’s not possible. I’ve been slowly dealing with all my brand-new, Sam baggage. I wrote Sam a letter right after we found out about Peter, but not since then. I don’t know if I should. Spock is my sounding board. It helps that he can provide feedback and hugs. The hugs have come in handy.

Yes, write mom and Kevin. Kevin and mom have reassured me that her sobriety is still intact, but I’m worried. Finding out about Peter has brought the ghost of Sam Kirk back front and center, and we’re all trying to deal with it. I think I’m not doing as well as I should be. Margarita disagrees. I guess we’ll see.

Anyway, I promised Peter that I would eat lunch with him, so I must venture to the mess hall. I’ll write again later.
Xxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 9/11/2260 22:56:51
Subject: Greetings from Enterprise

Hey, sorry, long time no writing. I know I’ve sent you pictures of Baby D’s birthday spectacular, but I should say hi occasionally. I guess I haven’t because you want us to live our own life without concerning ourselves with the life decisions of other people and I totally respect that.

I am now because I just have this feeling that other Jim never had to foster his secret nephew because a weird alien parasite killed his mom. Did you ever deal with an alien parasite that you had to kill with light? Also, if you did deal with that, I understand why we were not warned. I’m not going to be pissed. It is what it is. You can’t go around fixing everything. Some things are just going to be broken. It’s a fact of life.

So, Sam has a kid that none of us knew about, not even Sam possibly. I had no idea until after the parasite mission went to hell. I promised Arlene that I would take care of Peter even before I knew he was my nephew. It just was something I needed to do. I want to ask you if Arlene’s family was as fucked up as it is currently, but you know I don’t think I want to know the answer to that question. It’s one of those things I think I’m better off not knowing. I need to believe that her parents didn’t murder her sister in two timelines. I don’t need that sadness.

Good news, we are adapting to parenthood. Okay, Spock keeps reading every child book known to man except for Dr. Spock. He’s convinced that Dr. Spock is really a Vulcan that crash landed on the planet and he feels that if that was indeed the case, we should not turn to him for advice on raising a human child, mainly because his writings are so dated. You’ll be happy to know that I did not make a snide comment about the teachings of the Vulcan Yoda being even more outdated.

Peter is kind of afraid we’re going to die. We found that out after the panic attack incident a few days ago. Thankfully, none of the crew told him about me dying. Thank the universe for small favors. I think it would have been a disaster if he found out. The kid is still adjusting.

So, I’m not going to ask how things went the first time around, because I don’t care anymore. This is how things are now, and I have made peace with that. For a while, I was mad about never having David. There wasn’t going to be a David anyway because of Spock being my soulmate and us meeting a lot earlier, along with Carol finding her soulmate, Rebecca, because daddy made her join Starfleet. Due to the radiation, there wasn’t going to be any baby at all for me.

I think deep down inside I wanted that with Spock. I wanted us to be parents and I was mourning that for a long time. I was too focused specifically on the infertility issue, not thinking about all the other ways that we could still become parents. I was concentrating too much on what I had lost that I couldn’t see what I could still have.

Then Peter happened and the last month and a half have been crazy, but in a good way. It feels like half the time I have no fucking clue of what I’m doing. The child books can only do so much. Again, I wish somebody would’ve mentioned that away missions were a no-no right now. I think we’re going to get the good part eventually. I think we can do this. Spock and I can do anything together.

Just because I don’t want to know about the future, or the other future doesn’t mean I don’t want to know about what you’re doing. I do care about you, and I’m always going to consider you a friend.

I’m okay with not knowing how things are going to go. We will figure it out eventually. I hope we will anyway. Okay, we’re making it up as we go, but I’m good at improvising.

Anyway, write back.

BTW have you met new Spock’s foster sister? She’s adorable with her little scowl. Did you ever have a foster sister? Apparently, this is Spock’s second foster sister although the first time only lasted for six months due to Vulcan politics. Okay, and she told some Vulcan brat to go fuck himself literally and they couldn’t get her off the planet fast enough. Maybe that’s one story from the other timeline that I would love to know about.
To be continued

Chapter 83: Day 205: I hate my job and I want ice cream cake

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 9/15/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Re: Still not getting better.

 

I am not surprised about the ice cream cake. I’ve also heard that our baby girl has graduated on to wallowing in the mud. I got a video file. She’s even talking in short sentences. I hate being so far away that I’m missing all of this. Why did I want to come back and spend a year on the Hamilton away from my kid?

 

Regardless, I want to hear all about your adventures on X4Z3. I’m so jealous. Why did I decide to go with a diplomat ship? Also, I know Kevin won’t apply here because of avoiding nepotism even though the Hamilton would be a good place for him to be as soon as we get a good captain. I really hate my captain.

 

My substitute is leaving us during the switch out. Praise the universe. I don’t know where. I’m hoping it’s to the Academy for extra sexual harassment training, but knowing our luck, it will probably be Enterprise. I’m pretty sure my Admiral hates me because he is pissed about my mom getting the top job over him. You know a lot of people were furious about that, but they had to make sure the new person in charge wasn’t part of Marcus’s inner circle, and that is my mom. She is so far removed, it’s ridiculous.

 

I’ve read the classified Deneva brief, and I feel like I want to give Jim a hug. I never met Sam, but I respect the man greatly for making sure my little sister stayed alive long enough for her to become my sister. I know that was all him and Winona. At the same time, I’m sad that Peter will never get to know what type of man he was.

 

I’m also sad that Peter lost another parent. I wasn’t that much older than him when my dad died, and it sucks. It was a routine mission that just all went to hell. I cried so much. At first, I was just numb, but eventually, it all came apart. Honestly, I don’t think I really processed it until years later when I became a big sister and had to deal with this young girl who lost her mom, dad, and baby sister. Not just that, but watched her family be murdered and tortured and worse. So much worse. Tarsus was a shit show. The Federation fucked up so much. I hope we do nothing that bad ever again.

 

I’m pleased Jim could step up and take care of Peter. More importantly, I’m glad that Starfleet is letting him. They owe Peter so much because of what Sam did, but also because of Jim. The Vengeance incident could’ve been so much worse. We could be at war with the Klingons right now.

 

Sometimes I think we might be halfway there still because of the warmongering. Lots of planets don’t trust us. Which is kind of giving me a headache. Apologies for warmongering don’t always go over so well. The fact that we didn’t know what was going on doesn’t ingratiate us even further. Do you know how many times I’ve been asked how we could have allowed Marcus to get as far as he did with no one having a fucking clue?

 

You know if Jim were not in Starfleet, he would have been on my take care of our baby girl list. You know, he raised Kevin. He also kept Liz from going totally off the rails. Now both are well-adjusted and able to take care of a child, even though I’m worried about what the new semester will bring. You know baby plus classes are going to be a disaster, but those two know how to deal with a disaster.

 

Yes, I thought about everything very carefully before making my final decision. Like you, I never want our daughter to become a member of the Starfleet orphans club. The moment I decided to have Desi, I thought about who would take care of her if I couldn’t very carefully. Losing your parents at such a young age makes you consider those possibilities.

 

I saw what happened to Liz and Kevin after their parents died, and they were the lucky ones. There were others not so fortunate and ended up in the system. I’m afraid of that. Petrified really. Our jobs are not safe. Your Captain died last year. My mom barely escaped being assassinated because I went into labor early. Don’t get me started on how scared I was going into labor prematurely. Yes, I have a lot to unpack.

 

The fact that your nieces also lost their biological mom doesn’t make it easier. Yes, I know I should make an appointment with my ship’s counselor, especially before she leaves us. I know Dr. Diaz is going to Enterprise. That way, her daughter doesn’t have to stay in Starfleet boarding school. Really, it’s good for everyone except for me because I’m going to have to break in a new therapist. I’m pouting.

 

I am so sorry you had to write that condolence letter to your own sister. That’s something I never want to do. I think that’s the other reason why I don’t want Kevin on the Hamilton while I’m here. Although, I think I would be off the Hamilton by the time he would get here unless his advisor does not let him defer until summer 2261. You just know they would totally send him here in January or February just to fuck things up. And mom won’t stop them because she doesn’t want to abuse her authorities.

 

 Letting you have a video conference with D is as much as she’s willing to push. Okay, setting something up so the baby can see you at Christmas is the most she’s going to do, but she’s not pushing things too much. And well your captain is the son of an ambassador, so he might be doing some pushing on his end as well.

 

I’m happy that my old captain is now an admiral. I wish she oversaw my ship, but there are still too many people like my current admiral for me to think that change will happen. Mainly because I’m going to be taking the Yorktown assignment or at least trying to. A posting on Yorktown means less of a chance for promotion because yes, let’s penalize the people who decide to have kids.

 

Yes, I’m as salty as a salted caramel swirl ice cream right now. I would love some of that by the way.

 

Anyway, give me more Enterprise gossip. We’ll talk later. Miss you.

 

XXXX

From: MomOU

To: NyotaUM

Time arrived: 9/15/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I heard the minors on Enterprise program is doing well

 

Hey, I just wanted to touch base. I haven’t heard from you since the Jeremy crisis. I’m glad your Captain let us talk for a couple of minutes. I always liked Spock. He’s a good friend to you. I’ve heard from a reliable source that Jeremy is now settling in at quasi-military school. I’m sorry we couldn’t prevent him from infiltrating the program. I know he was god-awful to everyone, especially Josephine. I’m sending extra presents to make up for that. Hopefully, you’ll get them during the switch out.

 

However, I heard good things about the new teacher and Jeremy’s replacement, Peter Kirk. The Admiral shows off pictures of all her grandkids. Apparently, she considers Peter a grandkid. Of course, we’re betting on when Kevin and Liz will get married, so that makes sense.

 

I sent birthday presents for Jo Jo and you. I know October is a little early, but who knows when you’re going to be near a Starbase again. And again, I feel like I need to get you something excellent to make up for the Jeremy fiasco.

 

I don’t know how to really write these letters to you. We never really had a relationship, let alone a good one. We should have. Yes, I’m an admiral right now, but at what cost? I don’t even know how to write a letter to my daughter, and I’m completely alone now. It doesn’t help that your father is getting remarried. Did he tell you? I don’t even know if you guys are in contact at all. I mean I could find out, but I don’t want to invade your privacy like that. Also, I’m never talking to that man again without going through lawyers first.

 

I’m not sad about the wedding because I secretly want to get back together because I really don’t. It’s just lonely sometimes. Making new friends is difficult. The last time I had dinner with anybody was with the Chen-Kirk family. A part of me thinks that happened because I’m taking over for Barnett at Starfleet Academy and Kevin doesn’t want to be forced to do his semester on ship when he has custody of his niece. They are an adorable little family.

 

Although your family is equally adorable. Thank you for at least sending me pictures regularly. I have several up in my office. Anyway, send more pictures when you get a chance.

Xxxxx

 

“My dad is getting remarried,” Nyota told Spock as she sipped her tea. Even though her friend was now captain and she had a preteen, they tried to have tea at least once a week. This week, it helped that neither Spock nor Jim were going planet side. Peter wasn’t ready for it after what happened last time. They were working with Margarita on it, but he probably wouldn’t be ready until mid-October at the earliest, before one of them went planet side outside an emergency.

 

“Did he write to you?” Spock asked one eyebrow raised.

 

“No, mom did. I don’t think I’ve heard from him since last summer and that was in an official Starfleet capacity.”

 

“Are you upset about this?” Spock asked.

 

“No. I think that bridge has been burnt and the ashes sprinkled in the water.” Nyota responded.

 

“The same could be said of my relationship with my own father, and yet we speak to each other at least once monthly, and he is constantly sending me pictures of my foster sister.”

 

“Great use of ambassadorial loophole.”

 

“I find my foster sister fascinating. Also, the colony is closer to our location then Earth presently. Besides, I did allow you to speak to your mother during the Jeremy crisis.”

 

“And your father cares enough about you to abuse that ambassadorial loophole and apparently my mom is willing to use admiral loopholes. Your dad cares enough that after your mom’s death that he was right there with you rebuilding that bridge, but you can’t rebuild on your own. I just don’t have the energy right now. I’m exhausted. I think he needs to make the first step.” Nyota tells him.

 

“This is a wise course,” Spock remarked as he sipped his tea.

 

“I have to be cautious. It’s not just about me, it’s also about Josephine. Considering how fucked up her grandfather is on her biological mom’s side; I can’t risk exposing her to someone equally toxic.”

 

“Agreed.”

 

“Besides, I nominate your dad as everybody’s foster grandfather.”

“Oddly enough, I think he would find that gratifying.”

 

Xxxxx

 

From: NyotaUM

To: MomOU

Time sent: 9/15/2260 21:45:01

Subject: Re: I heard the minors on Enterprise program is doing well

 

I’m glad that you like the pictures. I’ve sent more from Josephine’s recent birthday festivities and from fencing club. She really loves fencing.

 

No, I didn’t know about dad getting remarried. We don’t talk. I haven’t heard from him since last summer, and that was a work thing. Honestly, I prefer the silence. I have nothing to say to him, not even angry words. I’ve moved past that.

 

It’s different with you. You’re at least trying, and I appreciate that. You may not have all the right things to say, but at least you’re putting in an effort and that means a lot.

 

Making new friends is always hard. I had such a hard time with that. When I first got on Enterprise, I was still dealing with a lot of grief from losing Marc and Gaila. I was holding on to Spock for dear life but at the same time afraid to really let him in. I was so numb, and I was worried that I was going to lose him just as I lost Marc. Finding your best friend’s body post suicide does some lasting damage. I’ve done things that I shouldn’t have because of the fear of going through that again.

 

Thanks to therapy and the threat of getting reassigned if I keep reading things I shouldn’t, I’m starting to connect with people again. I have a boyfriend and a wonderful daughter. I have a great friend in Sulu. We are going through our first-year parenting adventures together.

Also, I’m friends with Rebecca and Carol. More Rebecca then Carol. I’m sad they’re going to be leaving the ship soon, but I know I’m going to stay in contact with the couple. I’m glad that they’re going to London to help, Admiral Pike because obviously, Christine is not. I wonder how long I’m going to stay on speaking terms with Christine, but that’s a whole another conversation. Jim and I have been talking, and she is not the person I thought she was.

 

I guess what I’m saying is make friends, good ones that won’t screw you over or screw over the little brother of your other friends, literally. Of course, to do that, you have to get out there, which is always hard, but it can be done.

 

Maybe this Academy assignment will be useful for you. Being in San Francisco means that you can meet people outside of Starfleet. You could join a club or take up a sport. For example, Josephine has made most of her friends from fencing. Who knows who you can eventually meet?

 

Kevin and Liz are great people, and I am sure they invited you over because they want you there and not only to keep Kevin from a winter on ship. Although that might be a bonus.

 

Anyway, feel free to write back any time. Or just send pictures. It doesn’t matter what you’re saying. Just that you try at all is enough for me right now. Just keep reaching out.

XXXX

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 9/15/2260 00:00:01

 

Subject: Re: Still not getting better.

 

You were contractually obligated to do another year on the Hamilton, and you didn’t want to bring your mommy out to save you.

 

I can tell you all about this mission because we have about 10 more days to go before we leave for the crew switch out. Thankfully, we’ve been productive. The planet is very habitable for multiple species. Most of the vegetation is suitable for human consumption and no hallucinogenic side effects.

 

I’ve been running point on planet. Peter is not ready for his Guardian to be away from him right now. Jim’s attempt to spend three days on planet blew up in everybody’s faces. Understandable considering what happened to his mom.

 

I wonder if things would be different if Peter knew his uncles before losing his mom. He doesn’t trust Jim or Spock. Not entirely, but then again, I don’t know if Peter trusts anybody because of what happened. I’m not sure if I’m the best one to make these observations. Both of my parents are alive and still married which is a small miracle in my social circles.

 

I'm equally as scared about leaving Desi behind. K is already a Starfleet orphan. Her other dad was dead before she was even born. Yes, it turns out her aunt is her biological mom, but that doesn’t change the trauma. What if she loses another dad?

 

A couple weeks ago Ben sent me an email joking about taking my last name and I want that. I want to be with him for the rest of my life, and at the same time, I’m scared. Part of me wants to take that nice soft, cushy assignment at Yorktown, and part of me wants to keep going and become a captain. After talking to you and Nyota, I have a better idea of what that really means. Now I wonder if I can put my family through that. I don’t know. Work-life balance is hard. Anyway, I need to get some sleep. I must be on planet bright and early tomorrow at 0700 hours. I’ll talk to Spock to see if I can send you some pictures from the planet. It is breathtakingly beautiful.

 

Chapter 84: Day 209: Joy to the Jeremy free world

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re all fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: Elizabeth_Chen
Time arrived: 9/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: How are you enjoying your Jeremy free world?

Hey, Liz and Kevin, here. Although Kevin is typing or rather dictating. Liz has a toddler that she’s trying to feed breakfast to before we must drop her off at daycare. A toddler who likes to lick the microphone, so even voice is not an option for Liz now. Classes have begun again. So now we get homework and baby feeding. A fun combination.

I feel like you would’ve got the video files of baby D covering the evil country club moms of Sandy Springs with blueberry preserves by this point. These emails are so out of sync. I wish I got your tidbits about your grandfather before we ventured down to Atlanta, but it arrived a few days too late.

There were some complications, such as your grandfather having us arrested. Thankfully, your grandfather is very afraid of Shawn and my mom. So, we didn’t stay locked up for long. Now Sean and the moms are out for blood.

Since the judge didn’t crash your aunt’s housewarming party, I think he’s backing off for the moment. Although to be on the safe side, Shawn and company will be handling the sale of all your aunt’s property in Atlanta. Lee may have also got a restraining order.

Liz and I are so sorry your family is like this. Very sorry. You make the Kirks seem normal, which I didn’t think was possible, but your aunt seems stable-ish. At least you have that.

Did you get the pictures of her apartment? She actually put up some of your artwork. It looks terrific. You have talent. I’m adding a bunch of art book chips to your October care package. I would ask you if you want anything else, but we must send off the package in a few days for it to get to the ship in time. You will just have to wait for next time. There’s probably half a chance you may already be at the Starbase. If that’s the case, we should do a chat, and you should bring Peter along.

I (Kevin) sent Peter an email a couple of weeks ago, but I haven’t heard back. Although, I did get a picture today of him cursing out his PADD, so I wonder. I know that came from you. Seriously, the video file rule is ridiculous. There’s so much sensitive data that you can transmit in an image. We would mention something to the Admiral, but we like being able to get pictures in a timely matter and therefore choose not to rock the boat.

Hey, this is Liz now. Desi is being calm enough for me to dictate some of this myself. Don’t be too hard on yourself about the Pav situation. Everybody has a safety crush, even my friend Alicia and she’s ace or at least somewhere on the spectrum. Don’t feel bad. At least your safety crush was on a person who wouldn’t take advantage of you, unlike a certain nurse we know.

Liz, this is not the time to bring up the Christine thing at all. I had no idea Jim had a restraining order against her.

First, you and your brother need to communicate better. Second, even I knew about the restraining order.

We're working on it. Oh, ship. We left the microphone on.

XXXX
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: Kevin KR
Time arrived: 9/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Voice rec is evil, and we are unable to recall
Did you know that it’s not possible to recall messages using the accounts that Jim created with his own server? We just figured that out. You did not need to know about Kevin’s terrible hookup decisions. I don’t want to say you’re too young because, by the time I was your age, I lived through a genocide and saw so much awfulness. I know you have too, but maybe there’s this desire to protect you from the ugly things of the universe. Remember the half your age +7 rule is for your protection. Never let somebody manipulate you into doing something you’re not comfortable with.

Pav seeing you as his little sister isn’t a bad thing. Although maybe forgetting that you’re younger than the Ashleys and doing things that you’re not ready for just to fit in is a terrible thing. Don’t feel pressure to grow up before you need to. Maybe it is a good thing that Peter is there. You have a contemporary in the program with you right now. When you become older, an age difference of 2 to 4 years isn’t that big, but right now it’s a lot. You just need to be 12 right now.

At the same time, I’m glad you guys had a talk. I think you needed to know that about him. I hope things are less awkward. Kevin says never tell the Ashleys is that Jim is pansexual. It’s better for everyone this way.

So how is being 12? I know your birthday has definitely come to pass by this point. Is school still going well? Is Peter adjusting? I heard you’re getting some new classmates. May nobody be as awful as Jeremy. He is in a special class when it comes to his awfulness.

As Kevin mentioned in the first letter, classes are starting. I’ve been to half already, and I’m doing the other half today. I also have the Kobayashi Maru this semester. I find out today when I’m scheduled. You have to do at least three mockups with your crew before the official test. Also, you are now required to do a paper about tough calls in Starfleet history.

Kevin, being the masochist that he is, thinks that I should interview my mom about her decision to ignore direct orders and save us from Tarsus hell. I feel like I’m more emotionally healthy than that, which is why I’m either going to interview Jim and Spock about the Vengeance Incident or Vulcan, but I have time to make up my mind. Classes just started yesterday, and the essay isn’t due until December.

I think the changes to the Kobayashi Maru is our mom trying to make it more useful. It’s not about accepting failure anymore, but of understanding that sometimes you are going to be in a horrible situation, and you are going to have to figure out how to get out of there with as few bodies as possible. As somebody who has lived through that type of situation, I don’t think the old version did that. I have hope for the new version even if it is three times as much work.

Anyway, write us back when you get a chance.

Xxxxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Elizabeth_Chen
cc: Kevin KR
time sent: 9/19/2260 12:49:31
Subject: Re: Voice rec is evil, and we are unable to recall

I’m aware. Peter and I found out about not being able to recall a couple weeks ago. 250+ years and voice rec is still ridiculously sensitive. I should warn you that you will be getting a message from Peter. There’s going to be a lot of rambling and stream of consciousness. I would say, please ignore, but maybe that’s not the right term here. Perhaps you need to know what’s going on with him. I think it will help. Peter is handling things better than when he got here, but there are still moments. He is a little clingy.

I kind of knew about Christine already. Mom is loud when she’s dictating angry letters to Christine. It’s hard not to hear what she is saying. I am not 100% sure they’re still friends. Although I think it’s been a long time coming. They’ve been fighting a lot, and the letters are coming less frequently. The last one was mostly ranting about Christine’s aunt deciding to have a baby. I’m not going to analyze that rant.

I’m glad I have Peter as well. It’s easier having somebody closer to my age, although I do absolutely adore Jay and Ashley 2. Ashley 3 is also becoming a friend. She apologized to Pav about forcing the breakup. He has agreed it’s for the best right now because he is not ready to give her what she really needs.

I feel a little less awkward about the whole crush thing. I’m working through it, but I’m glad to know it’s normal. At least I’m doing something normal. I can hold a conversation with Pav now without blushing, so progress.

Personally, I would be fine never knowing the Christine thing, but I also don’t like the coddling. Part of me is happy that you and everybody else is trying to protect me, but the other half knows that it’s not possible to be protected, especially considering the type of family I have. Another part of me wants you to see me as a young person who has already seen a lot. I’m not fragile. I can deal with it. Of course, Margarita will follow up with a question of ‘should I have to deal with it?’ I’m not sure how to answer yet.

Thank you for sending me the unedited version of the Desi video. I heard everything, including the fact that they all knew what was going on and didn’t do a damn thing. I’m not surprised. Not one bit, especially after a conversation I had with uncle Jim. People doing nothing seems to be a thing sometimes. Thankfully Sam’s girlfriend and Peter’s mom saw the signs and brought him to Dr. Suarez and her wife.

I’m glad Desi covered them with jelly although I wish she threw her toys at them. I hope the stains never come out. I’m officially done with my old friends and their moms. I’m happy. I’m moving forward. I’m so happy my aunt is moving forward and never setting foot back in that place. We can just close the Atlanta chapter of our lives. It’s over. We survived. Others were not as lucky. At least that’s what Ashley 2 said. She would know.

Thank you so much for sending more art stuff. I can’t wait to get to the base in about two weeks. Those books will come in handy. Gina is giving us more independent study time, and I would love to work on my art during that. I tried to look some things up in the curriculum database, but there wasn’t much. Apparently, Starfleet doesn’t think education in the humanities is essential. This will help.

I’ll talk to Jim to see if we can do a live chat with him. I’m not sure he’ll be able to swing a video chat, but maybe we can do Starfleet instant messaging. I want to know more about the judge trying to get you guys arrested. On second thought it’s probably best that I don’t know.

Anyway, lunch is almost over. I must go. Write to me again when you get a chance. I’m sure it will be a while because you’re so busy. Maybe things will be calmer in a few weeks. Regardless, send more pictures. All the images you have been sending me have been helping Peter get acclimated to the family. So, keep sending.
To be continued

Chapter 85: Day 213: Heed the Words of Beyoncé

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Almost stable
Time arrived: 9/23/2260 00:00:01

Bizarrely enough, I got both of your letters within 24 hours. I was going to write back to you after I read your first letter yesterday, but I had dinner with Zoe and Victoria. After that, I did not have the emotional energy to respond. There was a lot of drinking. Not me, I had to be the sober one, but Zoe and her mom needed a good drink and a good cry.

Victoria feels guilty about not leaving a long time ago and letting her abusive prick of a husband control her so much. Yes, you were right. The accidents were never accidents. He never touched Zoe or K, thank God. But I don’t think that Zach was as lucky. Unfortunately, I can’t ask him. I would like to believe that he would’ve told me, but Zachary barely talked about the verbal abuse. We were together years before he got to that point, just before Vulcan happened. Maybe Zach thought we would have more time. Perhaps he was working his way up to telling me the truth. I don’t know.

In the long run, it doesn’t change what we’re dealing with now. I need to be there for Zoe as she works through all of this. BTW, she wants to meet you. I think the goddess Liz is working out a video conference for us in October and she will be joining. She says it’s her job as my sister-in-law to make sure my second husband is better than my first. Zoe is weird, but I adore her.

Zoe’s mom, I’m still trying to understand. Winona and I have been talking a lot about it. If anybody understands abusive relationships, it’s her. She tells me that, sometimes leaving is hard. Although I do commend Winona for what she did to her ex-husband. I think I’m going to have to set up a play date with her and Victoria eventually, but without booze. I adore Winona, but I kind of miss drinking with Sue. Especially at playgroup. Did you know that they make adult juice boxes?

I think I want to take the job in Yorktown. It’s a concrete offer now. Head of pediatric services for the colony. It would be a little less money, but free housing and childcare. Of course, the best benefit is being closer to you. However, I would be required to take a crash course at Starfleet Academy before starting. Although, only a six-month intensive because pediatricians in the San Francisco area must be familiar with multiple species.

I do have experience. In addition to being the pediatrician of choice to various embassies, I helped with the Vulcan refugees on planet. This is also why I will say nothing to your sister about her extreme party planning in the face of tragedy. I metaphorically buried my husband and then went straight to work at a refugee camp. I should also tell you I’ve been invited to do a two-month stint on new Vulcan in December which will count toward part of my pre-job requirements.

I’m really thinking about it. Zoe says I should leave, and I think Victoria wants to leave herself. You know there’s always lots of openings when a base station is being staffed.

So obviously, this divorce is not going to go well. Like restraining order not well. Like bashed in the window of Victoria’s car badly. Good news, Zach’s father is so focused on the divorce that the custody stuff has fallen to the back burner. This is partly because after Victoria defected to our side, the judge dismissed the current suit. That happened two days ago, which is why the celebratory dinner occurred, which turned into a drinking crying/session.

I know it’s going to come back around because I don’t trust the man at all. But for the moment we’re concentrating more on the fertility clinic. I’m taking over that because Zoe is helping her mom with the divorce.

Zoe’s going back to her mom’s maiden name of Kim. The paperwork is already filed. The IT service center at her work has already made the change. She is totally done.

I’m sorry about Rebecca leaving. I know you guys were friends, but I’m going to support anybody’s decision to take the life path they wanted originally, but didn’t until now because of overcontrolling parents. It’s her life, and she needs to live it her way. Although, maybe one of the newbies will be a fencing expert. Fingers crossed.

I feel like teaching is the thing you like the most. I got a couple of video files and you are wonderful with the kids. Absolutely adorable. It melts my heart.

If we're engaged to be engaged, I want a ring. Zoe says you must put a ring on it. Seriously, I deserve a ring. I kind of brought that up with my therapist.

So, you were also right about therapy. We are doing it as a family. I went for a few months after Zack died, in between time at Vulcan refugee camps. Zoe did as well, but Victoria wasn’t allowed to and now we’re dealing with other issues too, such as the fertility clinic screwing up, Victoria leaving her abusive husband, Zoe finding out how awful her father really is, and trying to be a family, a good family. For me, it’s moving on.

I accepted Zack was gone, went on a bunch of bad first dates, and then I met you. I was so happy that me having K did not scare you away. Then you got your own surprise. Most of my boyfriends do not end up with surprise children, but your relationship with Sue is very you. And hey at least with your method, you save thousands of credits and don’t have to worry about lab fuck ups. I think I prefer your method.

My daughter not being Zach’s biological daughter is also something that I’m dealing with. I never wanted Katie to feel like she only existed as a piece of Zack. I think that’s why I fought so hard with the custody stuff before. I was so pissed off that the grandparents didn’t want to see her again after the truth came out. At the same time, I’m sad too and this is something that I need to process with professional help. Winona’s idea again. She never really let go of George, even when she got remarried, which she believes led to her horrible no good husband choices.

If we’re going to have that future where I am Mr. Ben Sulu, then I think this is something I need to work through. Which is why there was a conversation about rings. Thankfully not during the family session, but in my private session. Yes, I have a lot to work out. So much but I think in the long run, it will be worth it. You are worth it.

Anyway, write when you get a chance. I miss you so much.

 

Xxxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Re: Almost Stable
Time arrived: 9/23/2260 22:15:01
I’m all for taking the job. Seriously, get as far away from Zack’s father as possible. All of you get away. If I could hide you in my quarters, I would. I miss you that much.

Truthfully, I think physical distance is needed because I don’t think that guy is going to give up easily. He can’t hurt you if you’re not on the same planet. Also, I’d rather have you on Yorktown than some unknown colony. Apparently, Winona’s bad divorce was how she ended up in Tarsus hell. Although you probably know more about that than I do, since you have become best friends with Winona Kirk. You should convince Zoe to come with you. Like seriously all of you get the fuck out of San Francisco.

Okay, maybe I’ve heard too many horror stories from Jim, the Ashleys, and Josephine about their totally screwed up families that make me want to err on the side of caution. Josephine saw her grandfather hit her mom. She didn’t tell anybody for years. Not until recently, there was a lot of crying. It was a mess. The judge wasn’t the one who drove his daughter into a tree, but he created the circumstances that led to that.

Okay, see I knew you would be better at scheduling a video conference and I’m so happy about that because I really do want to talk to you. There’s about a 50-50 shot that you’ll get this before you get the next message. So, I really want to talk to you.

I’m proud of you for working things out with your new therapist. It’s better to work through things then keep it bottled up. I’ve met with Margarita a few times. I feel guilty sometimes being here doing cool Starfleet things each day and leaving you to deal with all the custody stuff by yourself. Especially because I wonder if us being together made it worse. I also feel awful about not being with the kids. Not being able to tell my sister in person about the death of the mother of her children is also painful. Margarita has been helping me work through a lot of that.

Good news, that other therapist that they’re getting for Enterprise, because our ship needs more than one psychologist, is also a championship fencer. Margarita has already convinced her to do a program for adults on Enterprise. Exercise is good for mental health and the program with the kids has been good. It lets them work out a lot of their issues, which has been great.

I hope the program does well. In 10 years, I want us to all be able to work on the ship together as a family. Yes, Starfleet does employ contractors to fill medical positions. Dr. Suarez was a contractor before somebody, probably one of the Pikes, convinced her to reenlist.

I want to meet Zoe at the first opportunity. She seems wonderful. Tell her that I will endeavor to be an excellent boyfriend to you. That’s what I really want.

So, work has been good. I’ve been doing a lot of things lately that normally Jim would do which meant spending a week on planet. Peter is not ready for Jim to be away, so I had to step up. It was good.

Anyway, I must cut this short because I just remembered I need to text my boss. I hope quality Spock time hasn’t started yet.

xx

H Sulu: I need both of your help with trying to propose to my boyfriend when we do our video conference next week.

J Kirk: Finally. You know I am in. Cuddles is in as well because he’s a romantic at heart. What do you need from us?

H Sulu: Would you allow me to send an emergency message to Liz, so she will pick up or rather pick out an engagement ring for me?

J Kirk: That is easy although Nyota will need to be involved. But don’t expect a reply for at least 24 hours. Also, I have ring catalog chips from when I was trying to find the perfect ring for Spock. You can look over those and send a few ideas along to Liz. Just have whatever you’re planning to send out ready by 0600 hours.

H Sulu: No problem. Thank you. It’s probably best if I do give Liz some details. I did work with my sister for several summers.

J Kirk: You did well with our wedding despite it being very last notice.

H Sulu: It was mostly because of my sister. I would like to get my sister involved because she is an event planner, but I think that would be pushing my luck.

J Kirk: I’ve gotten the impression that they are friends or at least friendly at this point. I think Liz would call her in anyway.

H Sulu: This is true.

J Kirk: Just work on picking out and we will take it from there.

H Sulu: Thank you.

J Kirk: No thanks needed. Spock is a hopeless romantic. It’s adorable.
To be continued

Chapter 86: Day 214: Will you be my proposal planner?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are also fabulous.

Chapter Text

Starfleet emergency message for cadet Elizabeth Chan from Lieutenant Commander Sulu; care of Captain Spock.
Subject: I need your assistance
I just want to start this message by letting you know everything is okay. The worst thing happening right now is Peter is still having a bit of separation anxiety. So, take a deep breath, this is not one of those messages. I promise it’s not.

I’m writing for a happy reason. It’s just something that is time sensitive. I'm sure Ben told you that I am okay with him taking the Sulu last name sooner rather than later due to the chaos with his father-in-law. He also mentioned his sister saying that I really do need to get him a ring before he changes his last name. I agree, and since you are fabulous and already set up a video conference on October 3, I thought that would be the perfect time to propose.

However, to pull off a proposal in a week, from deep space, I need your help. Can you help me pull off a surprise proposal? You don't even have to do the logistical work if you asked my sister for help. She is a professional, just don't let her go overboard. No birds or skywriting. Also, no more than three dozen red roses. Under normal circumstances, I would say no entirely to her being involved, but I feel like she still needs the distraction. Is she doing any better?

Mostly I need your help getting a ring. One, everything I can order from deep space will be tacky and won't get there in time. Two, you are one of the few people I trust with my financial information. Therefore, I’m okay with you making a major purchase on my behalf. Three, you know Ben better than my sister and will pick something out that he likes. I have a couple of ideas. I've attached pictures of the top three choices. However, jewelry stores being what they are, you will have to make the final choice if you agree to help. I trust your judgment and only ask that you choose something in Ben's size. Unfortunately, I don't know what that size is, but I am sure you will be able to figure out what it is without asking him directly. I am partial to the past, present, future design but I'm not sure they can pull that off in a week. So, my only stipulation is I want you to include the inscription "you are my heart.”

Will you please help me pull this off? Otherwise, it's going to have to wait until probably Christmas.

Xxxxx
Starfleet priority personal message from cadet Elizabeth Chan to Lieutenant Commander Sulu.
Subject: Yes, I'll help you plan your super secret proposal.

I'm a little bit mad at you for using the emergency communication system because we expected the worst when we saw the message, mainly because it was from you and we just got a regular email from you yesterday. If it were just from Jim, I would assume he was writing me back to me regarding my school project. Although, he probably hasn’t even got that message yet. We all know that if something terrible happened to Jim, you would be the one contacting us because Spock would be an absolute mess. Last year when Jim died, he went off the deep end and then went into a coma. I expect something like that to happen if Jim dies again. And if its Spock, we don't expect Jim to put a coherent sentence together for at least a week.

Because Jim died last year, Kevin’s in a fragile place and expected the worst. It took us an hour to get up the courage just to open the email. We are both relieved to find out we’re only being asked to help you propose. Of course, we will help, just promise next time to use the priority channel instead of the emergency channel.

Honestly, I was expecting this letter after what you wrote last time to your baby girl. Not the Quaaludes part, but asking me to get a ring. I’m just glad I have a week to prepare.
However, because school is still psycho, I called your sister to help. She is on board. She promises to restrain herself. She also promises no birds or other ridiculous displays. Although she did try to involve a full orchestra, I told her no. Although I expect for her to try again for your actual wedding. However, to appease her, I need you to send me a playlist of music to play during the proposal; otherwise, I am using World on Fire as your proposal song. The original not, one of the 300 remakes.

Yes, your sister doing okay considering. The memorial service was a couple of days ago, and she handled it well. It was ridiculously ostentatious, but I think it was cathartic for everyone involved. It seems like your sister is glad to be moving on to planning something happy. We are currently working on getting your other sister there, but she's on a mission that only my mom knows about which is never a good thing.

We got your first choice of engagement ring. I like the past, present, future design myself, and so does Kevin. They agreed to put in the birthstones of both D and K. It cost a little extra, but we’ll have it done before the proposal.

Unfortunately, the sister of Sue’s ex-boyfriend, you know the one that thankfully did not end up your daughter’s father, saw us ring shopping. I have no idea why she was there. I’m sure by this point you are aware she's a hateful person and blames us for her getting academic probation. No, it wasn't her poor grades that landed her in academic probation, it was us. Thanks to her, the whole campus thinks I’m engaged because I’m pregnant. Unfortunately, my mom, Kevin's mom, and your boyfriend all asked us if we were getting married, but thankfully, they were all too polite to bring up the pregnancy part of the rumor.

To avoid being forced to take another pregnancy test by Winona Kirk and my mom, we had to tell the moms that you're planning to propose to Ben. Good news, my mom is okay with it because she is still disappointed that Ben is not at least Kinsey five so the three of you could have a cute adorable poly family. However, she supports your engagement efforts and is giving us access to one of the better conference rooms where we are going to be able to throw a little party afterward. I'm not sure that you're aware, but my mom really likes you possibly more than Kevin.

Winona was equally happy to find out about your proposal. She's confident that Ben will say yes. Winona is also glad that the engagement pregnancy rumor is a complete lie. Winona is also helping us get his ring size. Due to her being in London until at least mid-October to help Adm. Pike settle in at Starfleet London, she’s using the excuse of wanting to get him a souvenir ring. He quickly sent her his ring size without asking too many questions.

We told your boyfriend we were getting a bracelet for Desi and just happened to look at the rings for a minute because your daughter thought they were shiny. Which was when the evil one happened to snap a picture. We’re not entirely sure he believes us because he sent me the electronic business card of an excellent OB/GYN, but he doesn’t suspect that the ring is for him. That's really all we can hope for now.

We are trying to come up with a cute way to sneak the ring into the room. If the kids were a couple of years older, we would have them carry it into the room, but your daughter is in her ‘stick everything in her mouth’ phase and rings are small. We barely kept her from eating a Hot Wheels car this morning. Kevin’s now sad that he’s going to have to put all his collectibles in storage until they are no longer a choking hazard.

Regardless of what we end up doing, everything will be perfect and beautiful. Everything will be filmed because you know my sister is going to want to see it all. She is your number one cheerleader. I wish we could tie her into the conference, but the Hamilton is going to be in blackout mode for the next two weeks around the time of the proposal on some big diplomatic mission that mom won’t tell me about. Although I am going to give her a heads up now. I hope that’s okay.

BTW, I probably won’t be able to respond until the day of the proposal because there are only so many emergency messages I can get away with, and I'm going to save the rest for real emergencies like when Winona falls off the wagon or has another mental health emergency (or when I need Jim's help with homework). It hasn't happened yet, but it's always a concern.
Zzz
Starfleet priority personal message to cadet Elizabeth Chan from Lieutenant Commander Sulu.
Subject: You Are the Best
I’m so sorry about scaring your boyfriend. My original message did include the subject line “will you be my proposal planner,” but Spock said the system wouldn’t allow that subject line, so he just went with something else. He apologizes for freaking Kevin out. Jim also agrees that if something horrible happened, I probably would be the one sending that email. I hope that never happens.

Jim also wants to know what this mysterious homework assignment is. Obviously, he’s just going to have to wait for your regular email to get here whenever that might be.

It's an excellent idea to record the entire thing. Sue is going to be mad that she can't stream it live. For that reason, it’s probably best to let her know sooner rather than later. I know nothing else about where the Hamilton is right now. The rumor mill is quiet. It’s been about a week since I last wrote to her and you know how long the lag is between messages. The only thing I got was she really hates it there and is upset her therapist is switching to Enterprise. Well, she hates her Captain and is probably hoping that he is eaten by a predator on the away mission.

What if you put the ring in the teddy bear purse that Desi has? She will be too busy playing with it to look inside. If I think she is about to eat the ring, I will go straight to the proposal. World on Fire is fine. JoJo plays that album sometimes when we’re fencing, so I’m familiar. I’m still surprised Jim did not choose that as his wedding song.

Thank you so much for helping. I owe you so much chocolate. I am so sorry about everybody thinking that you're getting married because you’re pregnant. But look on the bright side; at least that woman is not your co-aunt. At least, you kind of like my sisters. Thank you for giving me an update and thank you so much for helping with her. Liz, you are the best person ever.
To be continued

Chapter 87: Day 218: London calling

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Spock's_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 09/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Good news

The pictures are adorable. Thank you for sending them. I need something new for my office. You are so good with him. I think you're going to be a good dad, no matter how you got there. Sometimes things in life don't happen the way you think they will, but they happen all the same.

I hope you approve that transfer for Carol and Rebecca to come to London because I'm going to need the extra help with the baby. Christine has been reassigned to Delta Vega, effective immediately. I'm trying to figure out who she pissed off, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may have been the Admiral because she found out about Kevin. Even I'm not that happy about that. She's almost a decade older than him.

I know Delta Vega isn't automatically a hell assignment like it used to be because there's now a sizeable Starfleet presence studying the aftereffects of the battle of Vulcan on the planet. However, the planet is still only considered a prime assignment if you're a science officer. Sure, they need medical support, but I'm surprised Christina was randomly chosen to be reassigned to a post she did not apply for. This feels like vengeance, and surprisingly I'm okay with it.

Honestly, I'm okay with her leaving because I'm tired of Christine's horrible attitude about my recent life choices. I do not need to hear her say things like me embarking on single parenthood is a colossal mistake. Maybe it's better for all involved if she's on Delta Vega because I don't need negative people around me right now.

Therefore, I am for Becky and Carol in London. I've sent them an email as well about the baby with the ultrasound picture included a few days ago. So, they'll know by the time you read this. I just have this feeling that they're going to be more supportive than Christine. Not that it would be that hard. It's been a hard couple of weeks.

Yes, I heard the heartbeat. I cried. Twice. It was one of the highlights. Your mom was with me. See, she is being supportive unlike some people. Christine thinks I am only having this baby because I want a piece of Chris with me. I am very aware that's a horrible reason to bring a kid into the universe. I want kids. I've wanted kids for a while, and just because Chris is gone due to Marcus and the grand Starfleet conspiracy doesn't mean I shouldn't have that family we always talked about. I want to do this.

I'm sure that's a concern of yours considering the childhood you had. I promise I will try my hardest to make sure my child doesn't feel like they're just a replacement. Your mom and I have also talked about that. I've also mentioned it to her friend Ben as well, Lieutenant Commander Sulu's boyfriend. He was concerned about this possibility before he found out that his daughter was his biologically and not his late husband's child due to a sperm bank "mishap". I'm so glad we didn't use the same fertility clinic. They both gave me a lot of good advice, so I think I'm going to avoid that pitfall.

I think it's best not to get caught up with what could've been or what happened to our alternate selves under different circumstances. Things are what they are now, and it is useless to wish that they were different. There is no point in being jealous of the life path of alternate versions of ourselves.

At the same time, you shouldn't feel guilty that some things turned out better for you this time around. I don't think Sam would want you to be weighed down with that. He would want you to live your best life. I know that's what Chris would want for me. I also think that Sam would be happy that you're taking care of Peter. As I said earlier, I think you're going to make a good dad.

As you can tell by earlier, I am telling people. Just a few to start with, but it's starting to become a little necessary because I've been throwing up a lot. I owe your brother a pair of shoes. That was embarrassing. I'll have to make good on that the next time I'm in San Francisco.

I guess I should mention I'm already here in London. I had to relocate with the beginning of the new semester, which thankfully starts a little later than in San Francisco. Your mom is here with me. It was a last-minute decision due to Christine's Delta Vega reassignment. Your mom will only be here long enough to get me settled. Technically she's here for work reasons because Wynonna is supposed to inspect the engineering department.

I don't know if she'll still be here in October, but we'll see. It depends on what she finds in the engineering department. We are scheduled to talk on your second day on Star base, so I don't know if that will happen with us together in the same location. Someone else got the first-day spot, but I want to see my grandkid.

You should know I sent some presents ahead to the Star base. I'm too afraid to start buying baby stuff, but preteen things are totally up my alley right now. No kid should have standard-issue Starfleet sheets. I may have also thrown in something for you, but you'll have to wait until you hit the Star base to find out what it is because I'm not telling.

So how is Peter doing? How are you doing? Or maybe I should ask how many books have you read? Yes, I read through most of the collection you and Spock sent. I'm also surprised your mom never wrote a book. You know she can write. Maybe I'll try to convince her to give it a try.

So how is ship life? I heard you're getting more kids. I've also been told none of them are another Jeremy. Rodriguez did the vetting herself. I hope that turns out to be the case. Anyway, write more soon.

Xx

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Jim's_cuddlebear

Time arrived: 09/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Thank You for the parenting books you sent me.

Spock, I thought I would take a moment to thank you for all the gifts. The books have been beneficial so far, and I know they will prove to be helpful. Also, thank you for the guide to London. That has been very useful.

I started my new job in London recently. It's a "fun" experience starting a new job with morning sickness. I hope I do not throw up on any of my colleagues. I considered deferring until next year, but I think I'd rather moved to another country when I am just slightly pregnant than with a three-month-old. It will give me time to adjust to things before I have to throw a baby into the mix.

How's Peter? I know you know that I asked the same question of your husband because I know you share everything, but I thought I would ask you the same. How are you handling things? Balancing fatherhood and being a Captain can be difficult. I think that's why Chris and I decided to defer having children until he became an admiral.

Jim thinks you're handling it better than him, but I always feel like Jim doesn't see his true capabilities. I blame the stepfather for his self-esteem issues. I blame the stepfather for a lot of things. Too bad he's already dead.

The real reason I'm writing is that I heard about the Carol situation from multiple sources; thankfully, none of them were official HR channels. Jim thinks you can't let go of his other dimension shenanigans and that's why you're so prickly. Carol feels that you're a control freak and do not like anybody else in your lab. Becky just thinks that you find paperwork tedious, and science is your happy place. And I may have just got a letter from the couple about 20 minutes ago which is why I'm writing to you after sending an email to Jim this morning. Chrissy has a big mouth and told them I was pregnant before I told them. I'm not even surprised.

Anyway, I feel like Becky is right. So, I'm just going to ask are you having trouble adjusting to a senior leadership position? I know I did. I think that's why I stayed a First Officer for as long as I did. I'm just glad that my current job is going to be less leadership and more teaching. Although there will be lots of meetings in my future. Adjusting can be hard sometimes.

Anyway, write back when you have a chance.

Xxx

From: Spock's_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 09/28/2260 0 6: 18:11

Subject: Re: Good news

The ultrasound picture was adorable. Now that I have it in my office, I've been personalizing it more and more lately. I also have some of Peter's drawings up. He's been doing a lot of abstract art, but he did do a family portrait. He captured Spock's ears just right.

Thank you for another pep talk, but I still have doubts. I've only made marginal progress with Peter's separation anxiety. Through trial and error, I discovered that Peter is not ready for me to be on planet for a few days at a time. We are working through it with Margarita.

Good news, I think I might be able to take a couple of meetings while we are on the Star base with Peter staying behind on Enterprise, but I'm not entirely sure yet. It might all become a take your child to work day experience. Or maybe we just need to be in the same building. Peter is okay with me being on the bridge or in my office when he is in class. He panics if I'm not on the ship with him. I think the same might happen with Spock being off the Enterprise, but we are afraid to test that hypothesis. Again, we are working on it.

We are on our way to the Star base for the crew switch out. We left last night. I have so much paperwork because of the transfer, so maybe it's good that I was stuck on the ship. I'm glad that this is not happening again until summer. I never want to read another resume. It took forever to find a new science officer that I was sure that my husband would like. I hope this goes better this time around. I think I found someone that will let Spock have science time. Fingers crossed.

Yes, you are getting Rebecca and Carol in London. Carol will be teaching while working on her graduate degree, and Rebecca is going to the engineering department to also teach. I think mom might be staying at Starfleet London until Rebecca gets there since she'll be helping reorganize the engineering department or so I've been told. It's going to be an adventure for both.

I know Nyota is angry at me for sending her friends away, but honestly, I think Carol needs to be away from Starfleet for a little while. I don't think she's fully recovered from the mess with her father. There happens to be a lot of guilt there. You getting help is a bonus.

I don't think things like Christine's behavior has made her many friends with the Admiralty. You're very well-liked. I'm sure that the members of the upper echelons of Starfleet that don't like you probably feel guilty for getting your husband killed, so they're going to be kind to you. Therefore, they reassign your niece to Delta Vega for being a petty toddler but bring your friends to help you. I know Rebecca was with you for a couple of years before.

I can't wait to get your gifts. I think it would be beneficial for Peter's room to be a little more personalized. I want him to feel like he's going to be here for the long haul. I need him to see that this is a permanent arrangement and the more stuff he gets, the more he'll feel that way. Spock and I will probably take him shopping again at the Star base, but Star base malls usually have a small amount of merchandise. Unfortunately, half of that is sex toys. Another reason why Starfleet needs more family-friendly policies. Too many lonely people or people in long-distance relationships who really need those toys.

Yes, we're getting more kids for the program. I'm almost hopeful this might work. Now that Jeremy's gone, the kids we still have are thriving. Everyone will probably graduate at least a year early. Also, nobody is trying to break into engineering for alcohol. More importantly, nobody has raided botany for "Vulcan headache medication". Unfortunately, because I now have a Peter, I can't have a Vulcan headache medication brownie, and I really wanted a Vulcan headache medication brownie. No drugs unless there's a babysitter. I learned from Winona not to indulge when kids are around.

I can understand wanting to be cautious, although I'm glad you're sharing the good news. Also, I saw the ultrasound video and I may have cried a little. It was so cute. I've been holding back myself from buying you adorable baby stuff, but as soon as you hit the six-month mark, I will begin ordering.

I've been talking to Margarita a lot about what I discussed with you. She agrees that I can't focus on the past, and it's stupid to play the what-if game. I'm starting to accept the good things that I have.

We have also talked more about the infertility thing. It hurts. I'm not going to lie. I'm starting to see that not having a biological kid doesn't mean that I'm worthless. I think I am still trying to deal with the trauma of dying. I don't think I will ever completely get over what happened, at least not entirely.

In the meantime, I will be the best uncle ever. I've told Peter all about you, and he's looking forward to meeting you. He's excited about our video conference. He deserves all the good grandparents he can get.

Anyway, I hope all goes well with my mom in London. I already knew because of official communications. I'm sure she's still going to be there when we conference. Anyway, I'll talk to you in a few days. It's so bizarre that you're going to read that probably a week or two after we speak.

Write again soon. I must hear all about your London adventures. Anyway, I must now go wake up a preteen who would rather stay in bed all day. Joy.

XXXX

From: Jim's_cuddlebear

To: Number_one_Pike

Time sent: 09/28/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Thank You for the parenting books you sent me.

I am glad that you found the books regarding childbirth and London useful. I hope you have time to explore the city before you completely immerse yourself in your duties. I spent a summer semester at the London campus during my second year at Starfleet. It was an enlightening experience.

Because she is your family, I will keep my private opinions regarding Christine Chapel to myself. Vulcans rarely lie, but we do understand the importance of strategic silence. However, I'm neither shocked nor surprised that she informed Carol and Rebecca of your impending pregnancy since she notified Nyota of the situation recently. I was made aware of this because Nyota asked James to block Christine's emails from reaching her. I do not believe they are friends any longer.

James is doing well with Peter. I think he's afraid of causing Peter irreparable psychological damage, but I have the same fear. We are trying our best to be what Peter needs. I believe we are making progress because he is talking to us more often, and he referred to James as his uncle yesterday.

Yes, it is challenging balancing our work lives with our home lives, but we are adjusting. I devised a schedule that will allow us to accomplish our Starfleet duties and spend as much time with Peter as feasible. However, that means even less time to engage in scientific pursuits due to that. The most science-related thing I have actively participated in the last month was to help Peter with his science project for the term. I was thankfully able to convince him not to do a volcano before James was made aware of his original project idea.

Instead, he is studying the growth of plants under different soil conditions in the botany lab. Peter did find this activity stimulating and enjoyed our work together. More importantly, Peter was highly engaged in the process. He also has a great appreciation for the scientific method.

I feel that Rebecca's assessment of the situation is the most accurate. Although I do not find paperwork completely tedious, at times, I do find it purposeless.

James is not responsible for the choices of his other counterpart. Only for his own decisions and thankfully, those choices were significantly better than those made previously. I miss having time to spend working in the lab. Scientific discovery is the preferred part of my job, but I also enjoy caring for and protecting my crew.

I am willing to acknowledge that I do miss having direct control of the science team. However, due to other responsibilities, I am aware that I must delegate. I'm hoping that the new science officer will be more accepting of my ideas. Lieutenant Commander Alicia Reyes comes highly recommended. I wonder if James chose her initially because she shares a name with one of his favorite comic book characters, but her resume and credentials from her time on Columbia are impeccable.

I have included some images of Peter and I working in the science lab together as well as Peter sleeping on Jim.

Xxxxx

As Spock hit the send button on his email, he is not surprised to see his husband reading over his shoulder. It was quite common despite being a practice that is frowned upon in Starfleet. Of course, James kissed him before he could comment.

"Thank you for preventing the volcano project. I never want to see another volcano ever again."

"Unfortunately, I believe that is highly unlikely since the next planet we are to explore is 73.2% volcanic." James groaned at his words.

"I really shouldn't be surprised at all. Somebody at Starfleet still hates us."

"I would argue that you are being paranoid, but I am not certain of that myself."

"It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you. Although, Liz's mom is using her bureaucratic powers for good. Also, I'm so proud of you for not telling Nhi that Nyota is no longer speaking to her niece because Christine casually mentioned that she would prefer if her aunt miscarried."

"I have some tact."

"Not enough to keep Carol as our science officer. If you scare off another science officer, I'm not doing that thing with my tongue that you like for at least a year."

"Your request has been noted," Spock said as he kissed his husband again.

To be continued

Chapter 88: Day 221: Favorite Almost Aunt

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so wonderful.

Chapter Text

 

 

 

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: Peter_K

bcc: Kevin KR

Time arrived: 10/01/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Have you reached the Star base yet?

 

Hey Peter, it is Liz this time. We thought we would take turns. Also, Kevin has 200 pages of reading that he has to get through tonight along with some analysis work, so he only has enough energy to call suggestions over my shoulder. Junior year is kicking his ass. Which is what junior year does.

 

Although senior year is also hectic. I have three classes this semester. Plus, the new Kobayashi Maru, now with essays and research projects. I must do a six-page paper on a hard decision made by a Starfleet Captain previously and examine the choice they made and explore why that choice was made. As well as consider the outcome and decide if other options were available.

 

I’m not happy being part of the first batch to take the new test, mainly because we are not allowed to choose our own subject for the research paper, they are randomly assigned to all of us. I'm thankful I didn't get the Kelvin incident because that would be awful. Also, I am glad I didn't get Tarsus because I do not need a research project to give me a nervous break down. I'm not saying what project I have just yet, but it's something that I will be able to get eyewitness accounts for.

 

Which means this project will probably go better for me than many of my classmates. Not many will be able to do eyewitness interviews with those involved. Bonus points for that eyewitness not being my mom. I don’t think she would help on principal anyway. She doesn’t want to inadvertently give me an unfair advantage.

 

Have you reached the Star base yet? I’m not sure how long these letters are taking to get to you. Probably too long. Anyway, gifts will be waiting for you, some were sent the usual way. Others were smuggled to Enterprise by one of my friends who will now be on the ship. 

 

Winona also sent you some goodies. She's going to video chat with you on October 4 from London. My mom sent her over there allegedly to audit the engineering department at Starfleet 's London campus. I feel like something else is going on, but it’s probably best I don’t know.

 

I'm glad Winona is venturing out from San Francisco, but that means we lost one of our babysitters. You have no idea how nice it is for baby D to spend some time with her grandma so we can work on our schoolwork. Now we're down to just one grandmother who unfortunately is running Starfleet. And yes, your Grandma Winona wishes she was close enough that she could do that with you, but circumstances are what they are right now. She’s looking forward to talking to you again.

 

Also, I just want to give you a giant hug as well as send you our grief checklist. We gave it to Josephine on the first anniversary of her mom’s death, but it’s something that you can use as well. It’s attached. Let me just say here that grief is not linear, and it can hit you at weird moments. I still cry when I see daisies, it's been more than a decade, but again tears sometimes.

 

You're going to be dealing with this for a while. And I know it sucks, but it's just kind of the way it is. Grief is hard. Losing a parent is hard, and right now, all your pain is very fresh. It is difficult to think of the wonderful things. It might be painful. You're still processing the trauma of all of it, which again sucks and honestly, you won't get to a point where you're not processing what happened to some degree, but eventually, you find a way to deal with it.

 

I won’t lie to you; it took me a while to get to that point, but I got there. I still have some bad days, but they are fewer and far between. I think you will too. It took me a lot of effort and therapy in addition to some Brazilian jujitsu, but I did find that place. I have faith you will get to that place eventually. I'm sure fencing is doing wonders for you. Sometimes it's good to have a tangible way to get out your aggression.

 

Also, I recommend the therapy journal. At least that way you can write out your thoughts and not risk the wrath of somebody getting them accidentally. We already know about not being able to recall before we read your message. Kevin is dreadful at remembering to turn the microphone off and we may have got in a very private conversation about bad hook up decisions and instead of deleting it, we accidentally sent the message to Josephine. That email  was not 12-year-old appropriate.

 

No, I'm not telling you what we accidentally sent to your new friend because it was very inappropriate. Let’s just say Admiral Pike has some relatives that are not the best. Also, don’t ever let yourself be manipulated into doing something you don’t want to do. I’m the best choice my boyfriend has ever made.

 

I wish we would’ve worked out our feelings for each other a lot sooner, but maybe it took us some time to realize that we were never ever going to be just friends. You don’t live what we lived through and just be friends. Tarsus was hell.

 

I’ve known Jim for slightly less than you’ve been alive, and I know he’s not going to be offended by you not calling him uncle. Trust me, he gets it. Kevin didn't call Winona “mom” for like a year. It took me equally as long before I was referring to the Admiral as my mother. Thankfully both Kevin and I got there eventually.  Adoption is weird sometimes.

 

I'm sending you some books. Websites are hard to access while on a ship because everything is either the Starfleet database or the "local" Internet, and I feel like you're not at a place where "local" Internet exists. Digital books are better. You should be able to put them on your personal PADD. I hope. See other email attachment.

 

Okay, I slipped a few book chips in your care package too. It’s on its way and will get there before October 3. Don’t say we didn’t have to because we really did. It is the job of an aunt to spoil you whenever possible. That's what we do. Yes, we’re probably compensating for something. I think Kevin told you last time that we apologize in this family with cookies. It’s a thing. You’ll get used to it.

 

Anyway, write us back whenever you’re feeling up to it. I want to hear all your stories about ship life. I was going to write to your uncle tonight, but I'm half asleep. Maybe I'll do it in the morning after feeding Desi. That kid gets food everywhere. Pictures attached of her being bad with blueberries. I lost a blouse.

Xxxxx

From: Peter_K

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 10/01/2260 13:13:31

Subject: Re: Have you reached the Star base yet?

 

Not yet, but I think we’re only about 13 hours away. Jim says that we will probably arrive somewhere in the middle of the night. He’s cranky that he lost the coin toss so Jim will be on the bridge tonight taking care of whatever he has to take care of for the ship to arrive at Star base. I'm not entirely sure what all that involves.

 

Josephine shared the grief list with me during my third week on the ship. It was helpful. I’m still processing things. I don’t understand why my mom had to die. I don't know why anybody has to die, especially all my friends at the colony. Everyone there was just so good to me. It was like having this one big family. And now I don't have that, at least not the same family. Everybody on Enterprise who's not a bigot has been embracing me, but it's not the same.

 

I want my old life back. Not just mom, but the life I used to have. I realize that that is futile, but a part of me still wants that. I don't know if I'm ever going to stop longing for that, but I’m no longer comparing the people before to where I am now. I feel like that’s progress in a way. Margarita says it is.

 

I’m still spending a few days a week with her. She’s great. I really can talk to her. She also agrees that Jim and Spock are perfectly okay with me not calling them uncle immediately. Although it has slipped out a few times. I blame Josephine because she is always calling everybody uncle. It's a thing for her.

 

Josephine is just great. She’s making sure that everyone else in our class is good to me. So far, they have been. Thanks to the Enterprise rumor mill everybody knows why I'm on the ship, but they're not mean about it. Everybody knows what it's like to lose a parent. The Ashleys all lost family in the battle of Vulcan. So, they understand. It's almost lovely not to get pitying looks. They're not giving me pity.

 

I’m a little worried about the new kids joining the ship. Are they going to be like us? Will they be another Jeremy? I never met the infamous Jeremy, but I’ve heard stories. He was evil. Just because you lose a family member during a genocide does not give you the right to be an ass hole or kill family pets. He had issues.

 

Okay now that I’m thinking about it were you assigned to do your project on Vulcan? I think that’s the only thing that you didn’t list that could be a possibility. I’m not sure if you will be able to interview Spock. He doesn’t like talking about his mom dying. Which I understand because I don’t like talking about my mom dying. It hurts too much.

 

I’m considering doing the diary thing, but I'm not quite sure yet if that's the way I want to go. I'm still figuring it out. I'm just taking it one day at a time right now.

 

Fencing has been good. You're right, being active helps. Part of me wishes I could be outside again. Or at the very least run around the ship. I’m looking forward to the Star base because maybe I’ll get to do something outside of classes and the fencing club.

 

The pictures are wonderful. I wish I could call you guys again, but Jim says that’s not possible. You’re doing some big project on the third. Although there is supposed to be a party afterward. Jim isn't talking. I wonder what all that is about.

 

I think you're an excellent aunt and your niece is so adorable. I can't believe she is Mr. Sulu's daughter. Of course, he talks about her all the time. He really misses her. I'm not entirely sure he's going to make it the full five years, although it probably helps that his family will be closer. I hope her ‘life in space’ experience will be better than mine.

 

I'm working through things, but it's going to take a while. Margarita says that it is normal, but things will improve eventually. I hope she's right.  

 

Anyway, I'll write again later. Thank you in advance for all your gifts. I’m sure they're all going to be fantastic. You really didn't have to, but thank you all the same.

To be continued…

Chapter 89: Day 222: It’s all your fault

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text

Day 222: It’s all your fault
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 10/2/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Re: The Kobayashi Maru is a class now, and it’s all your fault.

Seriously, it's totally your fault I have so much extra schoolwork right now. I thought I was only going to have three classes and the Kobayashi Maru which would only take like an hour tops. When you were a student, all you had to do was take the exam.

However, mommy dearest in her infinite wisdom along with the other bastards that determine the curriculum standards agree with your philosophy about the previous version of the test and now want to make it almost something useful a.k.a. a simulated captaining experience. Now I must look at resumes and piece together my bridge crew. So far only Kevin is in place as my first officer and I’m not even sure my advisor is going to allow that. Also, I get to go through multiple mockups and write an essay on a randomly assigned great Starfleet cluster fuck that somehow did not go completely FUBAR due to excellent decision-making on the Captain's part or in several cases pure dumb luck.

Let me remunerate they were randomly assigned, and somehow, I got the Vulcan genocide. Which considering other classmates got Tarsus, San Francisco, and your birthday, I feel like I got off lucky. It could’ve been so much worse for me, not that Vulcan was a particularly pleasant experience for anyone.

Ok, it’s not at all that great considering I must deal with the day my future brother-in-law watched his planet be destroyed and his mother died. Also known as the day my friend Ben lost his first husband. Honestly, there were not many great options for me, primarily because I'm personally involved in so many of them in one way or another.

However, because of the topic I received, I would like to interview you personally. I think you can tell me more than what I would find in any report. Is this possible? Maybe we can do a Starfleet messenger chat while you're on Star base? I know you're going to be doing 1 million HR things in the run-up to the crew switch out, but I would really like to talk to you and Spock about your experiences. It will allow me to do a more robust analysis. Since you are the reason why the Kobayashi Maru requires more effort now, you owe me so much.

Also, in addition to classes, I must start doing career placement. Which is going to be a little complicated because Kevin is going to be at the academy for another year. I want to stay here and start tandem after his graduation, but I don’t think that’s going to be feasible. Also, I think Winona would hurt us if we went off to Vegas and eloped just for tandem assignments. Plus if we did that, my mom would only send one of us to Delta Vega.

Scratch that, she probably would not do that because of who else is at Delta Vega right now. I’m sure you heard about what happened to Christine. Seriously she has so many issues. So, mom is not going to send us both there and will therefore choose other horrible assignments besides Ice Base Zebra.

So how is your kid? My kid does not like daycare at all if baby K is not there. I don’t know what I’m going to do when Ben leaves for Yorktown. Mom recruited him. I should not be surprised one bit.

I am also annoyed that Winona is going to be in London through October. Because Christine is on her way to Ice Base Zebra, Winona is in London being the super supportive best friend helping Nhi get settled. So, I think Winona is going to be in London for a bit because getting settled takes a while.

Also, something is happening at Starfleet Academy London, and your mom is there to figure out what it is. This is probably because she is one of the few people my mom trusts right now. It's not rainbow sprinkles yet, but maybe confetti sprinkles and may or may not be related to the demon child problem.
Xxx
Starfleet priority message for cadet Elizabeth Chan from Captain Kirk-Spock.
Subject: I’m not sorry for making the Kobayashi Maru useful

I’m not sorry at all. If it means I get more competent people on my ship, then I'm okay with you suffering. I will help, which is why I’m sending this email express. Okay, I'm emailing you this message expressed because we are now docked outside a Star base which means it's easier to do priority communications and this is somewhat work-related.

Because of the subject matter, I would prefer it if you mailed me your questions and I worked on it over time. Possibly under supervision of Margarita or the new therapist. Probably Margarita. I have therapist trust issues because of the Cruz fiasco.

Also, I'm probably going to have to read through the official report. I think a ton of stuff got redacted. What clearance level is your project? Am I allowed to talk about Spock’s “grandfather?” Also, you probably should send me your syllabus. I need to know precisely what the professor is asking for. Also, will you be allowed to call out Starfleet incompetence? Like why the fuck did they not search for the ship responsible for murdering my father? If they found him when I was a toddler, I would be trying to impress my mother-in-law right now. I feel like Amanda would be challenging to impress.

If I'm honest, you're probably going to need a lawyer to look at your paper before turning it in. This happened with my report on the Kelvin incident. I was too honest and put things in there that Winona told me that were apparently above top secret. I'm just glad Nhi made me let her read it first. It saved me some severe awkwardness. I also ended up having to write that due to randomly assign topics and professors who are dicks.

So, you should probably realize that what happened and what Starfleet says happened are not the same. Of course, you probably know this from the Tarsus fiasco.

I bet the official report has no mention in there about me pissing off my husband to the point that he would choke me so he would realize that he was too fucked up to be in charge. Most people don't know about that except those that were there. Check with your mom to see what I can and can’t say before I start working on it. I have a laundry list of things I would have done differently in hindsight.

Also, thank the universe you didn’t get Tarsus. The redacted version of things made me throw up. Be glad all names are redacted because otherwise, you know whichever classmate got that one would be interviewing you and I'm not sure you would really be up to it. I think you would handle it only slightly better than my husband handling questions about the Vulcan incident.

I know you want to ask the same questions to Spock, but I don't think he's ready to go back to Vulcan. Thinking about what happened is always hard for him. It might be his own Tarsus. In addition, Spock did design the last version of the simulation, so it might be perceived as cheating if he helps you with your paper.

I know you’re mad about all the extra work, but now the Kobayashi Maru is something useful instead of sending kids in to take a test that you know you will fail miserably. That doesn't help. You can't go into a situation thinking you're going to fail because then you will. It's like me trying to stay positive with the entire Peter situation. We will get through this, and I will not totally screw Peter up, I hope. Okay, I'm a little negative, but not wholly negative, which helps.

Things are improving. We are talking to each other more. Also, Peter wants to know more about his dad, and I think eventually, he’s going to ask about how he died. I’m not ready for the real version of that conversation. He knows a little, he knows he went to Tarsus and never came back.

He knows about the famine, but I’m not sure Peter knows about the genocide or the other god-awful things that happened on the planet of the damned. He was a little thing when it was all over the news. I feel like his mom would keep the truly hideous stuff from him. I hope she would've anyway, but I don't know because it was too hard for her to tell me anything towards the end.

Now let’s move on to wedding stuff because I really hate crying when writing emails. So how is the prep going? Did you get the ring? I know you picked something out, but things can go badly.

On my end, I made sure that Sulu has his video session scheduled for 11 AM ship time tomorrow. We are planning to have a party afterward. I hope you're going to be filming everything. I wish we could have coordinated better, but you're right about saving the messages for emergencies. I'm only sending this because we are at the base and you probably need a quick answer about helping with your project.

PS: I heard about the engagement rumor started by wedding ring shopping. That made me laugh out loud during your lines about eloping. Winona really would kill you, and your mom would help her hide the bodies.
Xx
Starfleet priority message form cadet Elizabeth Chan for Captain Kirk-Spock.
Subject: Of course, you’re not sorry for the new Kobayashi Maru.

Thank you for choosing a much better subject line. I’m surprised this managed to slip through the filters, but it probably helps that the word Kobayashi Maru was in the title.

I understand Spock not being able to participate. I wouldn’t want to do interviews about the Tarsus incident right now. It would be hard, and it's been much longer for me. I understand exactly where Spock is coming from. Rachel got Tarsus, and I am not volunteering to help her on that project.

I will consult my professor, my mother, and at least one Starfleet lawyer before I send my questions to you. I don't think my teacher thoroughly thought things through when he assigned some of these topics or maybe he didn't realize that some students in the class would have access to extremely top-secret information and choose to put it into their project.

I’m aware that the Starfleet version of what happened on Tarsus was complete bull shit. The public version was even worse. So, you’re right, I need to start by reading the official version of events. Because of Tarsus, I have a higher security clearance than most Starfleet cadets, so I might be able to read the unredacted text. I don't know yet.

Operation Proposal is in motion. We have music, roses, champagne, and the engagement ring. The jewelers just finished it today. The ring is beautiful. Of course, there is another round of engagement rumors going around about me due to going to pick up the ring, but I don't really care. At least the parents don’t believe it although Ben is suspicious about us. At least he’s suspicious about me possibly marrying Kevin and therefore does not suspect that Sulu is preparing to propose, which is all I asked for. Scenario attached, because yes, Sulu's sister made a scenario for the proposal. She even used the Starfleet format; I kid you not. She also drafted a possible proposal for him to use.

As for the tandem assignment situation, I'm working with lawyers Lee and Shawn to come up with a possible solution. There are other ways to get tandem assignments, but the only other one I know of is to have a kid together and that would incur more wrath from the moms. We want to avoid that.

Anyway, I'll write to you once I have all the legal stuff worked out. It might take a little while, but I will get back to you.

Anyway, give Peter a hug for me. I'm sad I probably won't get to see him but getting them engaged is very important.

To be continued.

Chapter 90: Day 223: Will You Be My Forever?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are fabulous.

This is another one of those chapters where we break away from our usual format. Of course, we had to for this.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I’m so happy to see you. It’s been way too long.” Ben said as soon as he pops up on the screen. He was dressed in his preferred button-down with Demora on his lap with a teddy bear purse. According to the scenario that Jim slipped to him, the ring was in the purse. He just had to come up with a way at the 15-minute mark to get Ben to open the purse. Easy or so he hopes.

 

"113 days," Hikaru replied to his boyfriend.

 

“If you counted the hours, I would’ve been really impressed." Then Ben smiled at him. This was when he noticed that Liz and Katie bear were also in the room. “It would’ve been less if I got to talk to you during the Peter thing. Unfortunately, something came up.”

 

“In the form of Mr. Jones being a D. I. C. K.” Yes, Hikaru spelled out the word because he didn’t want his daughter’s vocabulary to be 90% curse words.

 

"That is true, but I'm still here."  Hikaru was still slightly surprised he really was here. A part of him was expecting something to go wrong, so he wouldn’t be able to propose today. But here he was, and he was a complete nervous wreck. Nyota was with him just outside of camera range, being his emotional support and cheerleader. He threw up twice this morning.

 

“Thankfully so. I guess no emergency trips to the lawyers today?” He joked, and Nyota was shaking her head off to the side. Also, she may have called him an idiot in Federation standard sign language (FSSL). He’s familiar with the language because of one of his cousins.         

 

“That would be because my former father-in-law Is currently incarcerated for violating the restraining order again." At Ben's words, Nyota called him a moron in FSSL

 

“Fuck! What happened?” So much for trying to avoid curse words in front of the kids.

 

“Shot out the windows of Zoe's apartment. Thankfully she was staying at my new apartment at the time.” Because this was the second attempt. Ben probably didn’t even know that he knew.

 


“Yes, I heard you got Starfleet housing. I’m sure Liz and Kevin are taking advantage of your proximity to utilize your babysitting services."

 

"Of course, I am," Liz remarked from the back. “We need all the help we can get with Winona staying in London until Rebecca and Carol get there. When will that happen?”

 

“Three weeks," Hikaru responded.

 

“Lovely,”

 

“I'm okay being their babysitter for the round-the-clock security detail."

 

“Sue’s mom must love you. I can’t wait until you’re safely on Yorktown millions of light-years away.” 

 

“She really loves her granddaughter, and I do take care of her a lot. I’m going to miss her when I’m on Yorktown. Despite missing her so much, however, I really do want to get off the planet sooner rather than later. The whole situation with Mr. Jones is making me very uneasy.” And Hikaru understood that because all this was making him very uneasy.

 

"I want you off-planet as well right now. I said that in my last letter to you, but I'm not sure if you got it yet.”

 

“Not yet.”

 

“I am not surprised. And don’t worry about baby D. Who knows, maybe she’ll be moving there with you?”

 

“That’s right. Sue is applying for Yorktown.”

 

“Or my sister decides that since she's going to be working out of Yorktown soon anyway, Desi can come with you early.”

 

"I doubt that, Liz. I know Sue likes me, but I don’t think it is at ‘custody of her daughter’ levels yet." Ben replied.

 

“You're the second back up," Liz yells from behind.

 

“Wait, what?” Ben sounded slightly shocked as he spoke.

 

“Yep, you are right after mom, but before any of Sulu’s sisters or parents," Liz explained.   

 

“Wait, really? I know Sue talked about the possibility, but she never mentioned anything else after you and Kevin agreed to take care of her.”

 

“Yep,” Liz smiled. “Although you did say she would prefer if one of you put a ring on it before signing custody of D over. I suggest maybe doing that sooner rather than later." Thank God he muted the microphone on his end. Otherwise, Ben would have heard Nyota laughing ridiculously hard at Liz's words. Maybe he should have done this alone. Perhaps Hikaru should've brought Pav or maybe not because he is still a very brokenhearted teenager.

 

“You know you could always wait in the hallway with your boyfriend, who is probably being interrogated by your mom right now. I personally would love to know why you were at a jewelry store yesterday. If anybody is going to be getting married anytime soon, it would probably be you.” And now Nyota is laughing even harder. Even Hikaru is trying hard not to smirk.

 

“Nope. Already working with my legal team to make sure that it doesn't need to happen.”

 

“Although you would if need be," Ben said just as Liz got a text.

 

“You know what, I think me and K are going to step out so you too can talk. Let’s let daddy have fun with his boyfriend, but not too much fun because this is official communications, and I’m leaving at least one other kid in the room.” Liz tried to get up from the seat, but Katie bear started screaming.

 

“Okay, she doesn't want to leave, so you get two kids. I'll be back in a few minutes with Kevin and snacks. Maybe she'll stop screaming if there are snacks.” Liz said as she left the room. According to the scenario, she was going to get the champagne for the toast. That means he has about five minutes to get to the proposal. No pressure at all.

 

“I adore her, but she is ridiculous sometimes," Ben said once Liz was gone. He now had a girl on each knee.

 

“And now you live in the same building," Hikaru remarked.

 


“Just for a couple of months. And with me starting the accelerated class late, it's good to have Liz and Kevin close by. We've been doing playgroup/study sessions together with Zoe watching the kids while we study."  

 

“That seems like it would be interesting or chaotic.”

 

"Chaotic, but everything usually is.”

 

“So true. So how are you really holding up?”

 

“Glad that the judge and Shawn won’t let him anywhere near my daughter. Upset that he really doesn’t care that much what the judge says. Glad to be somewhere safe for the moment. I wish I could be somewhere even further away sooner rather than later, but it is what it is. Also, the judge approved me moving to the Yorktown Starbase, so my career change is a go.” Hikaru couldn’t help but smile.

 

“I knew that would make you happy.”

 

“I’m very happy about it considering the last I heard, you were still thinking about it. What did the partner say about you leaving?”

 

“It was mixed. A few people are sad to see me go. Others are shocked that I didn’t leave sooner. I think they were always expecting it with me being a Starfleet spouse. Honestly, I was always expecting it.”

“Because being medical means that you could always take a position on ship as a contractor.” Hikaru decided this was not the moment to mention that it was even more common after Vulcan because Starfleet needed the bodies.

 

“Which is something I’m not opposed to considering I’m willing to move to go to Yorktown. Honestly, I was considering doing that, but Zack didn't want me to do it, and in the end, he was right. Then our kid ended up an orphan and with the evil family.”     

 

“Not entirely evil. Zoe is apparently a goddess who watches your daughter so you can do a crash Starfleet medical contractors’ courses. Also, I don't think you hate your mother-in-law anymore now that you understand where she’s coming from.”

 

“Yes, but I'm still frustrated with her. We're doing a lot of family therapy right now. Although I am at the point where I am okay with her going with me to Yorktown. Although I wish we had a buffer.”   

 

"Just remember Sue is trying to get a Yorktown assignment. That way, she can be your buffer." Hikaru told his boyfriend.

 

“Is that more likely to happen because of her mom or less likely?”

 

“More likely, but because you’re there, I feel like this is one big family reunification plan on her part. I expect to get transferred there at some point.”

 

“Possibly," Ben said, and Sulu realized he only had another minute to get to the proposal. He wasn't sure how to segue into that. That's when Hikaru noticed baby D trying to eat her purse. For once he's not upset about that.

 

“Hey, you should probably get the teddy bear purse away from Desi. I think she’s using it as a teething ring right now.” At his words, Ben quickly took the purse away from the little girl.

 

“Teddy bear purses are not food.” Ben chided.

Hikaru was just thankful he didn’t throw it far away. That would have been bad. Now he just had to get his boyfriend to open the purse.

 

“Unless there’s candy inside of the teddy bear purse.” He joked. “I feel like hiding chocolate in there is something that Lizzy would do.”

 

“Not Liz, but that is definitely something Kevin would do. Okay, let's see if Uncle Kevin gave you chocolate even though I said not to. If there's a Hershey bar in here, I'm eating it.” Hikaru smirked at his words.

 

“Not a Hershey bar?” He asked after a moment of silence

 

“Nope, men’s engagement ring. I guess maybe Liz is going to propose and put the ring in there.” In front of him, Nyota called his boyfriend an "oblivious moron" in FSSL. Hikaru realizes at that moment, he was going to need to make things a little more evident for his boyfriend.

 

“That’s possible. However, I think it’s more logical that due to the fact I am thousands of light-years away on a remote Starfleet base that I asked my daughter’s aunt to pick up an engagement ring for me. Everything I could have got here was ridiculous. There’s no actual selection here.”

 

“I know. That’s where my first engagement ring came from. It was two sizes too big and involved ‘synthetic’ rubies. I still loved it." He knew Ben still had the ring. He stopped wearing it long before he even met Hikaru, but he kept it in a jewelry box on his dresser. He was okay with that.

 

“Then it's a good thing that I went with another option for your second engagement ring.  I’m pretty sure I saw a ring just like it at Starfleet Mart this morning.”

 

“I wouldn’t even be surprised. They probably buy in bulk. This is a very nice ring and in my size, too." Ben said, slipping it on his hand, probably to keep it away from the babies. They really were in the ‘put everything in their mouth’ phase. It was a little scary.

 

"Liz told me Winona helped with that," Hikaru told Ben.

 

“I knew she wasn’t just getting me a souvenir from London. I mean, what type of souvenir requires you to know ring size.”

 

“I didn’t want to ask you outright for your ring size because I wanted this to be somewhat of a surprise," Hikaru explained.

 

“I am surprised and thankful that I managed to get the ring away from them before one of our children ate the thing.”

 

“I am too. You know I love all three of you. I consider little Katie bear as much my daughter as Desi. I want us to be a family.  Ben, I adore everything about you. I love you so much. You are a wonderful human being, one of the best I've ever met. You're a wonderful father to both of our daughters. You are also one of the gentlest and kindest human beings ever. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

 

“You are making me cry.” Ben was starting to tear up.  

 

“That's okay, so am I. So, is this a yes, you’ll marry me?”

 

“Yes, I will marry you. Besides, I thought we were already engaged to be engaged. I was just holding out for the ring.”

 

“But, I thought it was Zoe that wanted me to put a ring on it.” Hikaru joked.

 

“Actually, we both wanted a ring.” Called a very vibrant young woman who quickly ran over to Katie bear.

 

“I assume that you’re the infamous Zoe?” Hikaru asked.

 

“Yes. I am your future sister-in-law. Excellent taste, Ben. This one is cute and has exquisite taste in jewelry.”

 

“Or excellent taste when it comes to choosing people to get jewelry for him," Kevin remarked as he walked into the room with Liz and both of his sisters. His nieces were there too, carrying the flowers. Liz had happy engagement balloons in her hands with his sisters caring in the champagne and roses. Thankfully, no birds.

 

“Or at the very least knew not to buy an engagement ring at Starfleet Mart," Ben remarked.

 

"My brother loved you; he just hated shopping. He also forgot to consult me, but see this one knows better. Now let us toast.” Zoe said as she grabbed a flute of champagne from the tray his oldest sister was carrying. Of course, she had the champagne ready to go.

 

“I don't have champagne on my side.” He remarked just as the door to the conference room opened. Jim walked in, holding a tray. Pav, Spock, and Leonard were with him.

 

“You do now.

 

“I'm not surprised at all," Hikaru stated as he grabbed a flute of champagne. He is surprised it was glass. Apparently, Jim broke out the diplomatic reception glassware.

 

“The scenario that was sent to us yesterday stated to have champagne ready for a toast. I may have conveniently deleted that line before sending it to you.”

 

“Of course, you did.” He hears Nyota remark as she rolls her eyes.

 

“Be glad that I like you. I was saving this bottle for a special occasion. Thankfully for you, we decided not to open it on our wedding anniversary.”

 

“I am so flattered.” Hikaru snarked.

 

“I really like this one." Here Zoe says as she places an arm around Ben.

 

“I do, too," Ben remarked.

 

“Now that everybody has either champagne or ginger ale,” apparently the nieces and his sister had ginger ale. He would have to ask about that later. “let us raise our glass to Ben and Hikaru.” Zoe said with her glass held high. “May your future be wonderful and full of joy.”

 

To be continued

Notes:

Since we met Ben Sulu in Star Trek Beyond, I really wanted to explore how they got to that point. I always knew I would be writing this eventually.

Chapter 91: Day 224: Quality Time with the Grandmas from London

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are all wonderful. Reviews keep me in a happy writing place.

Again, we are breaking from our usual format because of deep space videoconferencing.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Okay, you seem a little more pregnant than I thought you would be for it only being early October. I think I see a tiny baby bulge.” Jim said as soon Nhi appeared on screen in her Starfleet uniform, and the baby bulge was noticeable. However, he probably should’ve kept that to himself because he’s getting the Vulcan death glare from the spouse. Jim decided it was best to put Peter in between the two of them right now.

“I'm 12, and I know better than to say stuff like that." Or maybe not Jim though at Peter's words.

“First of all, you know that Starfleet uniforms are very unforgiving. Also, I’m a little bigger than expected for just the beginning of the second trimester because I may have neglected to mention that I’m pregnant with twins.” His surrogate mom said with a smile on her face. She was very excited.

“But we saw the ultrasound, and I'm pretty sure there was only one baby. Okay, I only made out one blob. 250+ years of ultrasound development, and yet the baby still looks like blobs to me." Jim remarked, but Spock was staying quiet. Why did he have a feeling that his husband already knew? Of course, he would be able to read it correctly.

“Sorry, I didn’t get the 3D sonogram this early. Did you show that picture to Leonard because he would’ve told you otherwise?”

“No, because I did not have your explicit permission although Jo Jo told by accident," Jim said as he turned his gaze to Peter.

“She’s my best friend I share everything with her. Besides, I wasn't going to say anything to Josephine's mom because she's sensitive about baby stuff.” Jim sighed. He's just glad Peter is making friends.

“It’s still an issue?”

"Yes," Spock answered before he could. “Which is understandable considering everyone processes trauma at different rates." ‘If they process it all.’ Jim thought, darkly. Thankfully the ship had Margarita, who was helping everybody process in one way or another. “Although she has made great strides in the last year.”

“This is part of the reason why I’m treading carefully. Which is the other reason why I didn’t show the ultrasound picture to Leonard because if I show him, I must show her, and it is just better if we keep things quiet for the moment.”

"Also, according to Josephine, her mom told your niece to get fucked when she said she hopes you have a misc…” Jim quickly placed the hand over his nephew's mouth.

"As I mentioned before, remember curse words should only be utilized in a life or death situation until you're at least 18 or not working on the starship.”

“Curse words are for when Klingons are attacking us.” Peter rolled his eyes. Margarita said he should look forward to more bratty preteen behavior because that means things are getting back to normal.

“And let us hope it doesn’t happen anytime soon. And of course, you can share the ultrasound photo with your team, especially Leonard, because he would have pointed out two baby blobs instead of one. Although make sure Nyota is not triggered and I will leave that to Spock because he’s the sensitive one of the two of you.”

“I’m well aware that for a Vulcan, my spouse has a surprising amount of emotional intelligence.” Jim quickly squeezed Spock's hand in a Vulcan style kiss. Peter has yet to figure out the significance of the gesture, and Jim has not decided to point it out until they end up on the Vulcan colony.

“I believe that was entirely Amanda's influence," Spock remarked.

“Why do you call your mom Amanda and not mom?” Peter asked.

“In Vulcan culture, it is a tradition to refer to your parents by their given name to those not explicitly part of the family. Although in this regard, I rotate back and forth between Vulcan and human cultural norms."

“This is what is referred to as code-switching," Jim told his nephew. "Although I do it too sometimes.” Because his relationship with Winona is really really complicated and Peter only knows the basics such as grandma has an alcohol problem and is currently in a sober living facility.

“Is this why you're okay with me calling you both Jim and Spock right now?”

“Yep, munchkin." Jim places a hand on Peter's shoulder. “Hey, where is my mom? This thing is only supposed to be 45 minutes, and we've already killed a few.”

“Outside the door being yelled at by the soon to be former head of the engineering department. He accosted us on the way in, and only I was able to get away from him. He may or may not have been in bed with Carol’s father. Regardless your mom is working through the situation, and it's a disaster. You’ll have to read the classified version of the report once it’s done.”

“Why do I have this feeling that it will be classified at a level that's too high for my husband and me to read? Also, I would personally prefer not to have a need to know."

“Unfortunately, you will have a need to know. I'm not sure what the classification will be, but I’m sure Liz’s mom will make sure that you have it.” He's pretty sure even Spock sighed at her words. Thankfully at that moment, Winona walked into the room.

“I hate that asshole," Winona said as she slid into the chair next to Nhi. “He’s such a moron. Like keeping me from talking to my grandson is going to make me not report his involvement with section …”

"Winnie, wave to your grandson and remind yourself that this is not a classified DVC.” Nhi chided his mom. He was so making a note to ask about that nickname later.

“Sorry. Work bullshi— bull crap.”

“Look, Peter is 12 and lived on multiple scientific colonies. Let's not even pretend he has innocent ears.” Because Spock told him that type of behavior was stupid. “We’re just working on when it’s appropriate to curse.”

“Like you did with Kevin?” Winona smirked at him.

“Yes.” Jim sighed. “I would ask you how London is treating you, but I don't think I want to know the answer, mom.”

“Work drama aside, I am enjoying my time in London. I have discovered you can get good fish and chips without going to a pub. No, I haven't been to any pubs. Still sober, even though there are colleagues, I would really like to punch out. I’ve also gone through a couple of candy bars.” His mom jokes.

“I wasn’t going to ask.”

“You were thinking It.”

“No," Jim told his mom just as Spock said, "Yes.” Jim just sighed.

“Never marry someone that can hear your thoughts. Especially someone who will share those thoughts with your mom," Jim explained, turning to Peter. Spock raised an eyebrow at him. He's pretty sure that was his husband’s “good luck getting sex tonight” eyebrow raise.

“So, Peter, how are you enjoying your time on Enterprise? Done anything cool yet?”

“It’s different, and I do miss the sunshine.”

“That feels like an understatement," Jim mumbled under his breath.

"That's normal," Winona replied. "Everyone misses the sunshine. It's why we're developing more realistic holodecks."

“It’s not the same. I'm still adjusting, but I am enjoying myself. I have a few friends, at least. I didn't have that many on the colony." None anywhere near his age anyway. Peter was a bit of a loner, which makes sense to Jim.

“Peter mentioned earlier that Josephine is his best friend," Nhi told Winona.

“I’m glad you’re friends. Maybe you’ll make some more. I heard you’re getting new classmates. Also, I made sure none of them were evil this time."

“Three, but I have not met any of them yet. We’re supposed to have something that’s referred to as an ice cream social once we leave the Starbase to get to know each other.”

“With actual ice cream, I hope?” Winona asked.

“The Starfleet version of ice cream. Everything here is Starfleet mart. It's a small outpost. Nothing like Yorktown. Or where we were last time.”

“James is disappointed he was unable to find Oreos at Starfleet mart.”

“Well, good thing, I included a few boxes in the care package. Did you get the care package yet?”

“They're on the ship, but we've had a lot of meetings, new staff orientations, and an engagement party. We will probably unpack everything in a couple of days.”

“That you wouldn’t let me go to, so I didn’t get to see Kevin and Liz at all.”

“I'm sorry about that. The room was small, and we only had a few minutes anyway." Jim apologized.

“Not at all. Don't worry. You'll get to see Liz and Kevin in December.”

“I assume that the admiral is allowing them to travel to new Vulcan when we are near the planet?” Spock asked.

“Something like that. I don’t know all the details yet.” Nhi replied.

“Except, you'll be too pregnant to be there.”

“Unfortunately, yes. You know Starfleet’s rules about pregnant travel.”

“No one wants to get born 2 1/2 months early," Jim mumbled.

“Hey, at least you were a fat preemie.” His mother remarked.

“You were a preemie? I was too.” Peter tells the group. Jim didn’t know that. Although he should have, since Peter’s birthday is less than eight months after Sam left for the planet of the damned.

“Yep. Getting attacked by Romulans is not conducive to giving birth at full-term.” Jim explained, mostly because Winona doesn't like talking about that at all.

“That’s why you were so small in the picture where my Dad was holding you?” Peter asked.

“That and he didn’t want to eat." His mom said before she went into a way too graphic and detailed story about him refusing to breast-feed as a baby — no one needed to know the story.

“I was a fussy baby," Jim said after Winona was finished now extremely red.

“I guess this means you did get the pictures I sent you of your father?” Winona asked.

“Yes, although why was someone blacked out in several of the pictures?” Jim is not surprised that Peter picked up on that.

“That would be my ex-husband.” Spock squeezes Jim’s hand in support.

“Sometimes, we make bad choices after losing the love of our lives, and my ex-husband was a horrible choice for a lot of reasons. We like to forget that person was ever part of our lives or existed in the first place.”

“Which is why mom taking ‘asshole be gone’ to the family photo album.” Yes, that’s the name of the computer program. “The program automatically deletes the image of the person you want to forget. Unfortunately, grandma used black-box mode instead of the background cloning feature.” Jim explained to Peter.

“Because I’m nowhere near as computer literate as you. I didn’t want to get rid of any pictures of Sam, but I also never wanted to see that man again, so black box mode.”

“He wasn't a good person. I ended up at a smart kid boarding school, and Sam ran away with your mom for about a month.” Jim told Peter.

“A few months actually. Sam came back once I filed for divorce from the evil one. Although I wish we would have let your mom stay with us.”

“Because my grandparents are monsters?" Peter asked, and Jim didn't want to make eye contact because that's precisely what he was thinking.

“I wasn’t going to say that," Jim mumbled, really wishing that Margarita was there right now.

“They murdered my aunt.” Nobody said anything after that for a good minute. Not even Spock, and you know it's terrible when Spock cannot move them to safer ground. That's his special skill. Jim had no choice but to get them on to safer ground himself.

“So, any new ultrasound pictures of the twins?” This had to be a safer subject.

“Not yet. I have two more weeks before I go back in for another check-up. Although, I'm not sure about doing an ultrasound again so soon. I will send you everything.”

“This is one of those families where we don’t talk about things that make everyone uncomfortable?” Peter asked.

“We do, but usually when therapists are present because we have that many issues," Jim remarked.

"Unfortunately, Dr. Margarita had an emergency and could not be here to supervise. However, if you wish for the three of us to have this discussion, I will arrange a family session as soon as she’s available.” Spock suggested.

Jim is not exactly sure what the emergency is yet; he just knows that Margarita must be present from what his spouse told him. Although his instinct is telling him intentional overdose because Leonard is also involved. He will deal with the repercussions later.

“So, I am now part of a family that cannot even call each other without therapists being present?” Peter asked.

“Considering I went five years without speaking to my father outside of necessity until the death of my mother, I feel that our ability to communicate as a family is significantly better than that of the family of my birth.”

"Peter, we are a work in progress, but it's getting better," Winona remarked.

“When will you be speaking to your dad next?” Nhi asked.

“I assume, within the next few weeks, because apparently, we have to prepare for our visit to New Vulcan.”

“Since the purpose of this call is for Peter to get to know you and mom, how about until it’s time for us to leave, Peter, just ask the two of your random questions?” Jim suggested, and both women nodded their heads in agreement.

"Go ahead, Peter," Jim prompted.

 

“Do you like being pregnant?" Of course, Peter starts there.

“Yes, although I could do without the morning sickness, apparently throwing up all the time is the sign of healthy babies. I had a miscarriage years ago, and I'm in my 40s, so any sign that tells me that the babies are healthy I can live with.” So much for this being safer ground, Jim thought as Nhi spoke. “Even if that means throwing up on the shoes of somebody with a higher rank."

“Yes, that happened, and yes, I have pictures. I uploaded them three days ago, although I have no idea when the images wIll get to Enterprise.” His mother added.

“Probably sooner rather than later. We’re downloading a large backlog of communications right now.”

“Lieutenant Commander Sulu just received images from the memorial service of his nieces' biological mother," Spock added.

“Oh good, you should be getting pictures of me doing the tourist thing in London soon. If I remember correctly from talking to Liz, we did that a day or two afterward.”

“You did the tourist thing?" Jim asked, slightly surprised. He wondered when either woman would have the time with their jobs.

“I had to do something to keep sober. Next question.”

“Why did you decide to raise a baby by yourself? It was always so hard for mom to be a single parent. I know that she loves—Loved me, but sometimes I'm sure she wished she wasn't alone.” Note to self, mention this to Margarita during our next session.

“I know, and a lot of people thought I should just freeze an egg and wait until I remarried. But I didn’t want to do that. Honestly, I have no plans to remarry. We were planning to have a family together, and just because things happened the way they did doesn’t mean that I’m going to put that on hold or should put that on hold. My babies will know everything about their dad. I’ll tell them stories every day. At the same time, I’m not alone because I have this huge extended family of people that love me, and that’s enough.”

“We didn't have that, especially after my aunt was killed." Jim wants to hug his baby. Also, Mom never talked about Sam or his family. I didn’t even know anything about Jim until the Vulcan incident happened. Then she told me that my uncle saved Earth.” Jim isn’t surprised, although Spock is raising an eyebrow.

“I was kind of a drunk fu—screwup for a while. My therapist got killed by a drunk driver, and I did not process well. Then I went into Starfleet, where I met Chris and Nhi, who became my other family.”

“Chris and I raised Jim during the Starfleet years, which mostly consists of keeping him from getting expelled. It's why I feel like I'm ready for twins.”

 

"There are more interesting stories from this time that I want to know about."

“I’ll send you some of the video files.”

“Also, I will see what else I can find from Sam when I get back to San Francisco. Everything is in storage since we cleared out of the old house in Iowa. I have no idea when I’m going to find a condo. I’m probably going to end up in Oakland.”

"That would be cool. I have so many questions about Sam. I don't even know where to start. I don't even know what his favorite color was."

"Blue," Jim tells his nephew. “His bedroom was covered in blue. Blue sheets, blue curtains, blue carpet, and this ridiculously warm blue comforter.”

“I think I still have that comforter.”

“I have just been told that we have four more minutes. So, I have an idea. Peter, why don't you write down all the questions that you have. You can send it to your grandma, Jim and Kevin. Then they can try their best to answer the questions. You can also write to me if you have questions about other things.”

“I’ll try. Although I hate writing assignments.” Peter says with a smile.

“Don’t we all.”

"But it was so great to meet you, Peter, and I hope we will get to talk again soon," Nhi said with a smile.

“I think we will.”

"Take care, all of you. I love you, Jim and Peter. Spock, please take care of my boys."His mom said as she blew them a kiss.

“I will endeavor to do so.”
To be continued.

Notes:

A/N: In my universe, we are at the point where ultrasound will be more of a brand name, then the actual technology used. The people are so used to calling it that it just kept being called that.

Chapter 92: Day 228: Delayed Greetings from London

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation.
You are all fabulous. Your words of encouragement keep me in the happy writing zone.
Please remember that this letter was written about two weeks before our video conference in the last chapter. It takes a while for emails to reach deep space.

Chapter Text

 

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 10/08/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Greetings from London

 

Hey sweetie, I’m sure by now you know I’m in London. That's why I didn't write to you when I first got your letter. Because of your brother being preyed upon by somebody who is your age before he was 18, I will be in London living with Nhi until her friends Rebecca and Carol get here at the very least and considering they’re on your ship that might be a while.

 

London is a great city. I love the history of it all. I almost considered going to the London campus instead of San Francisco, but if I did that, I would’ve never met your father. So, things worked out the way they were supposed to.  

 

Unfortunately, this is not a vacation. I’m working on a special project for Ming. A project that's headache-inducing, and I really can't talk about on unsecured communications. Don’t worry, I still haven’t picked up another drink, although I am resisting the urge to punch somebody. Carol’s father had a few friends here that were dirty as fuck, especially those connected to the Kelvin Memorial research center or whatever cover name they gave to their super-secret operation.

 

I am fucking furious that Marcus used George’s name to cover up his activities. The engineering department at the London campus is neck-deep in this shit. I am here to get it back to its real purpose and get all the spy bullshit to where it’s supposed to be. As I mentioned earlier, I have a headache, and this is just scratching the surface of how messed up all of this is.

 

I’m so sorry about what your grandmother did to you. I had no idea Grandma Kirk was that petty to you, but considering how petty she was to me, I’m not surprised. There’s a reason why we don’t speak to that side of the family and not just because the courts gave us the farmhouse. They are not the best people.

 

I have heard from their lawyers recently. Not your Grandma’s lawyer specifically because she's dead, but you know the Kirk family contingent. They’re pissed about us selling the farmhouse to build a museum dedicated to your father. Of course, they're not suing to stop the sale, but they want half the money from it. Because you know it’s not about the house, it’s about the money, it’s always about the money.

 

Also, one of your cousins or something is writing a book about you despite the fact they haven’t seen you since you were six. A few of the others were doing the talk show circuit after the battle of Vulcan, again people that haven’t seen you since you were six... I hope they never find out about Peter. I don’t want these people anywhere near him.

 

I’m sorry I screwed up a lot when you were a kid. I know you’re going to do better. First, your kid will go to you for help. Yes, it's a computer thing, but he still is coming to you when he needs something. Maybe if he comes for you for the computer stuff, he'll come to you for the important things too. At least you know for sure that your husband is not a molesting abusive asshole. (I am considering the entire bridge incident consensual kink play and let us never speak of it again.)

 

I know that you will make sure Peter is aware that he isn’t just a sub for Sam and that you really do care about him. I’m sorry that I sometimes made you feel like a George replacement. I really should’ve gone into therapy earlier. I didn’t handle losing my husband well at all. Tarsus was just an all-around cluster fuck, and I couldn't avoid going into treatment. My treatment plan didn't work as well as it could have because I didn't start digging deep into my issues until this last round.

 

I’m trying my best to get healthy and stay healthy. I’m even running and eating better. Being out of Iowa is helping immensely. London is helping more than San Francisco did because there's no George at all here. I am free to start something new.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed San Francisco. I have a lot of friends there, but there are moments when I get sad and the house search is not going anywhere as well as I thought it would. Things are more affordable than they were during the tech boom of the early 21st-century, but it’s a seller’s market right now, especially with everything that got destroyed during the Vengeance incident last year. Also, I don’t want Starfleet housing because I like staying an independent contractor. I don't want to end up being assigned somewhere horrible. I have more control this way.

 

Of course, when your son is dating the daughter of the head of Starfleet, you’re friends with her, or you get talked into doing something that you wouldn't normally do like fixing the London cluster fuck. I don't even know where all the bodies are buried yet. I can't tell you more because Carol's father was a fucking asshole, and I had to get a new security clearance just to deal with all this bull shit. Your email system isn't secure enough, no system is.

 

Thank you for all the pictures. I'm glad to see you smiling. I'm still worried that this is going to bring a lot of stuff back up for you, but you're dealing with it well. Kudos for spending quality time with your therapist. See another way you're doing much better than I did. Anyway, more pictures attached from London. Your other mother figure threw upon another member of the Admiralty.

 

If I am not sending your husband embarrassing baby pictures, I'm not doing my job as your mother. I neglected many of my motherly responsibilities previously, but I am trying to make up for that now. That means embarrassing the hell out of you. I found a few more pictures of you in your Captain Marvel costume. You made an excellent Carrol.

 

XXXX

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Time sent: 10/08/2260 12:23:01

Subject: Re: Greetings from London

 

I did make an excellent Carol Danvers. Yes, I found the pictures adorable, and yes, I found it embarrassing. Good thing you waited until after we were married. Yes, you’re making good on that embarrassing mom stuff. Could you maybe focus on Kevin for a bit? Of course, Liz knows all of Kevin's dirty little secrets like Chrissy, but still, there must be something that you can embarrass him with.

 

I’m not surprised the Kirk contingent wants the money from the house. I guess they’re still furious that the house was given to Dad in the first place as if George didn't leave Starfleet for a year to take care of his dying father, where the others just did whatever the fuck they wanted. Apparently, there’s a long tradition of backstabbing and money-grabbing on that side of the family.

 

Personally, I see it all as blood money, and I'm OK not seeing any of it. I’m sure you feel similarly because you could break into the Tarsus settlement money and afford a lovely house near Starfleet, but you won’t. However, I’m sure we both believe that Peter deserves a significant trust fund. So, may I suggest calling Shawn, the lawyer god, to have his team take care of it. They’re already handling some litigation for us concerning the various tell-all books that are being written by very distant relatives as well as the sex toy line. That was just disturbing. I do not want my face on that, and I'm sure you feel similarly.

 

It was great to talk to you in person. You seemed lighter than last time. I know the whole thing was awkward, but we got better at the end. Although if Peter sends you a list of questions later today as agreed upon, you don't have to answer. I can take care of it. I am starting to tell him more Sam stories myself. He wants one every night before he goes to sleep, and I'm getting better at telling them. It hurts, though. Margarita says the best way to process is to tell stories and focus on the good as much as possible. That's what I'm trying to do. It doesn't always go as well as it should, but I'm trying, mom.

 

Peter is coming to me for more than just computer help, so that's good. I’m also being asked for advice on how to get his new classmates to like him. I told him that you can’t make people like you. You just need to be yourself, and if they don't want you, then they're the ones with the problem. We'll see how that goes. Although yesterday's ice cream social did not end in tears. More importantly, none of the new kids have tried to break into engineering for booze yet, so I consider that a positive.

 

I don’t want to know what you’re investigating in London, but I'm sure I will. We’re all aware that Carol’s father was shady as fuck, so it's probably nothing good, and I'm sure you're going to find more co-conspirators in the grand conspiracy of the Federation. Oh yes, let's just throw us into war with the Klingons. Fucking asshole. I should probably schedule another session with Margarita. It’s easier now with the second therapist on board.

 

Yes, we need so many therapists. The entire ship has issues. If they were here during the San Francisco incident, they went for the battle Vulcan too. I am sure the new crewmembers will have their own scars from the last few years. Thankfully, I like the new therapist, and I like Lieutenant Commander Reyes. She said that she's happy to let Spock spend time in the lab whenever he wants. So, this is already going to go better than Carol’s tenure as chief science officer.

 

Carol and Rebecca are on their way to London. We had a goodbye party and everything. I’m going to miss Rebecca, but I think Nhi is going to need her more. She also promised to send me tons of baby stuff and to keep me totally updated on everything going on, so I'm kind of happy that she's going to be there.

 

Have you thought about maybe permanently relocating to London? You know, after your treatment in San Francisco is wrapped up? Right now, you have your support system, but your support system will be leaving soon. Kevin will be doing his semester in space sooner rather than later, and Ben will be going to Yorktown. I’m sure baby D will be going along because Sue was trying to get stationed there anyway. Just think about it. I just want you to be someplace where you can be happy and healthy and getting out of Iowa was the first step.  Maybe moving somewhere completely fresh is the next.       

 

Don't be so hard on yourself. Frank was always showing you his best face. Once you knew how bad it was, you left. Sometimes that's all you can do. I worked through all my complicated feelings about that a long time ago. I don’t hold it against you. I don’t think I ever did.

 

Anyway, I can’t wait to hear from you again, and thank you so much for the care package. The real Oreo cookies were much appreciated. Peter loves the sheets that you sent. Also, tell Nhi that he loves the blanket and the posters. They’re already hanging up in his room. Also, thank you for all the food you sent along. The hubby put it away so we wouldn't eat everything in the first week, but it's all appreciated.

 

Anyway, we are on our way to two months of serving a volcanic planet. This is going to be so much fun.

 

Fingers crossed nobody breaks the prime directive again, including me.

 

PS: Why does Nhi call you Winnie? I need to know.                        

 

 

Xxxxx

 

From: Peter_K

To: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen; W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Time sent: 10/08/2260 00:00:01

Subject: thank you for the care package

 

 

Thank you all for your various care packages. I’m just starting to read some of the comic book chips with a bag of cheese Krispies. Also, I'm glad that I have non-Starfleet gear for my bedroom now. I wasn't able to take that much from the colony because of possible contamination. Actually, I didn't have that much at the colony to begin with. A lot of our stuff was in storage on Earth. I wonder what happened to it?

 

Jim has been telling me more stories about my dad as a kid. I'm thankful for that. Although nothing from what Jim refers to as the dark period. Grandma, I assume this was when you were married to your ex-husband? I want to ask why he was such a bad person, but Ashley 2 told me it's best not to ask that question. She says I'm not ready for the answer. My grandparents murdered my aunt. What can be more traumatic than that?

 

We had a family session about that. We are going to have a few more family sessions about that. Also, Dr. Margarita is helping me put my list of questions together. Right now, I just want to know the little things. The heavy stuff can wait for later. 

 

This is what I have so far:

Where was my dad born, and where did he grow up? I know he wasn't actually born in Iowa that you moved there later after grandpa George died.

 

What was his favorite TV show/movie growing up?

 

What were his favorite books? I'm including comic books in this as well. They just had better artwork then non-graphic novels.

 

Did he have any hobbies? Was he into things like Legos? I love Legos. I had a few sets that we had to leave on Earth. Unfortunately, Starfleet mart did not have any Legos sets. Thankfully Josephine lets me use hers. Did he like to paint or draw? Was he a creative person at all?

 

How did Sam meet my mom? Also, how long were they together?  Did they really love each other, and if that was the case, why did they break up?

 

I guess this is it for now. Again, I will save the heavier stuff for another time.

Also, Kevin and Liz, I'm so sorry I didn't get to see you again, but please keep writing. I'm enjoying the letters.

 

Also, to let you know, the ice cream social went well, and the new classmates do not appear to be evil. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

To be continued

Chapter 93: Day 231: Finding Myself in San Francisco

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.
Sorry, this update is a little late. I’ve been focusing all my energy into finishing Hydra lullaby. The good news is all the chapters are now off to proofreading. Hopefully, that means an increase in posting chapters for this story.

Also a quick note, I will not be posting this chapter to KS archives this week due to some issues over there with the servers.

Chapter Text

 

From: Legal Queen

To: kitten_loverJJMU

Subject: Everything is well in San Francisco

 

Time arrived: 10/11/2260 00:00:01

Hi sweetie:

I got your letter, and I feel like I'm in a much better state of mind right now. Good news, the sale of my house in Georgia is going very well. I already have a few offers. My lawyer is handling it because if I see the Judge right now, there's a 50-50 shot that I will get arrested for assault.

 

I'm not surprised to find out that he physically assaulted your mom in front of you. He did the same with us when we were kids. Just like you, we didn’t say anything. Who was going to believe us? He was a judge. He had so much power, and we were nothing. It's even worse realizing in hindsight that other people knew what was going on, but they said nothing because of how powerful the man was back then. At least in death, your mother exposed him for the monster that he truly was, and now he is nowhere near as powerful as he used to be.

 

My new therapist and I have been tackling my guilt regarding my staying silent as a child and adult. We are attempting to anyway. I wish I had done things differently, but wishes don't change things. You just must make different choices in the future, or at least that’s what my therapist says. I’m working on believing her.

 

In your case, you shouldn't feel guilty about staying quiet because you were so young. However, in the future, know that there are people that you can go to that will believe you and do everything in their power to get you out of that situation. I feel like now it's more likely your friends are going to tell you what's going on in their lives. I feel like you’re going to be the person that people trust to go to.

 

I think, in my case, it was more like I didn't have people in my life that I could trust that would do something. You do. You have so many good people around you, from your dad and stepmom to Kevin and Liz. I wish I had grown-up friends like Kevin and Liz, who understood my life. You have no idea how fortunate you are to have that.

 

Those two have started to become friends of mine. We bonded over the incident with the Judge and our crappy childhoods. At least I didn't have to deal with anything as mentally scarring as watching my whole family be killed by the followers of a genocidal dictator. It is nice to have people around me who have my back. I’m too used to having fake friends. I’m glad that you found real friends at a much earlier age than I did.

 

Your artwork is phenomenal, it displays how talented you really are. Because of that, I sent you a bunch of art books electronically (and a few hardcopy ones too). You should study. If you were on Earth or any other planet for that matter, I would suggest going to some classes, but that's not necessarily an option for you right now. In space, at least you'll have time for self-study. I mean it’s not like you have time to go hang out at the mall with your friends. Life is probably very structured on a starship.

 

I am glad that you’re now making friends among your classmates. The pictures of your birthday were fantastic. I think that's the happiest I've ever seen you on your birthday. I know last year we were still processing everything with your mom. You really do look adorable in your junior Starfleet uniform.

 

Jim’s nephew looks like his clone. They look so much alike, it's ridiculous. If Jim wasn't in his early teens at the time of conception, I would suggest another DNA test. I'm sure if you and Peter met earlier, you would have become close friends back then. I think right now, he probably needs you. Losing your mom is very hard, and I'm sure it's worse when it is someone you’re close to.

 

So, by the time you get this letter, I am sure that you have had your October switch out and received all your presents. I already know that you will make excellent use of the art supplies.

 

Also, I assume by this point you have met your new classmates. How has that gone so far? I hope no one is Jeremy level bad. Anyway, please write back when you get a chance. Talking to you makes the days go better.

XXXX

 

From: Elizabeth_Chen

To: SulxuHG2260

Time arrived: 10/11/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I will go ring shopping for you

 

I would like to say I’m surprised that someone was exposed to a hallucinogenic plant that behaves like Quaaludes, but I'm not. It did give me a laugh, though. I need that considering all the school stuff going on. I am so glad I’m not doing a regular class load; otherwise, it would all be way too much.  

 

Honestly, I am expecting you to ask me to help you propose at any minute. Mainly because that Yorktown fantasy might be happening. Ben will be there, at least because he accepted my mom’s proposal. I think his mother-in-law is coming with him. I’m sure you know that the Jones’s case has been dropped.

 

Okay, the judge wouldn't even give Mr. Jones a hamster to take care of, let alone his granddaughter or the genetic material of his perspective future grandchildren. It didn’t help his cause when he tried to shoot his soon to be ex-wife’s car. Mom moved Ben into Starfleet housing after that. He’s training with us anyway for the new Yorktown job. Ben is taking the Starfleet crash course for medical contractors. Anyway, he is three floors down in family housing. Despite the circumstances, it is so lovely to be in the same building now.

 

We’ve been doing a lot of group study sessions. We do our homework together. Okay, two of us do their homework, and the other one watches the kids. It works better this way. It takes a village.

 

Yep, Judge Lee is very fucked up. He is even worse than Mr. Jones, and again he tried to shoot out his wife’s tires. Or maybe not because I know he has a history of abuse, so I could see the shooting up the tires thing happening. Lee has had some heartbreaking stories.

 

I’m not terribly close to Leonard and Nyota, and I don’t want to ask Jim to talk to Jo Jo about this because it could be a trigger, but maybe you should ask Jo Jo if the judge ever hit her. I am concerned, but this is not a question I can ask her in a letter. Thankfully, you’re one of the adults she really trusts, so I feel like she would talk to you.

 

Yes, you need more adult friends. Although so does Pav. He’s emailed a few times. We are kind of friends because he was my TA for one of my classes freshman year. Also, Mom kept an eye on him personally. Yep, he is totally devastated by the break-up and not able to process. Sometimes I think letting him be up there so early wasn’t the best thing. Maybe he should’ve worked on his doctorate before a deployment. I’m not sure. I think he just wanted to be in the stars.

 

I would say I’m looking forward to our video conference and so is your baby girl, but you’re probably going to get this after the fact. She loves the videos. She loves seeing you and hearing your voice so much. She’s just so happy.

 

Anyway, more videos attached and pictures because you can never ever get enough images. This time it's your daughter playing with the cousins. Those are some very resilient children. We had the memorial service a few days ago, and they handled it so well. I was an absolute mess at the services for my parents. Although, it was right after Tarsus and I was a mess for several years after that because Tarsus was a shit show. I still just want to hug them forever, but they're doing well.

 

Your sister is trying. Although I feel like her way of working through things is throwing herself into projects. I think she has two weddings a weekend for the next three months. If she's busy, she doesn't have to think, and I’m not entirely sure that’s the best strategy.   

 

Xxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU

To: Legal Queen

Subject: Thank You for All the Art Supplies

Time sent: 10/11/2260 17:19:08

 

Yes, we made it to the base last week. Thankfully all your gifts were waiting there. I love the art books you sent me. Hardcopy books are so expensive, but I absolutely love them. I've been trying a bunch of new techniques. You're right, I do have time for self-study. The holo-decks are still getting the hang of creating virtual malls, so we can’t hang out there.

 

Gina has written self-study into our curriculum. I’m using that time for the study of arts and science.  I hope it's okay that I'm letting Peter use some of the books since he likes art too. We are working together on the self-study project.

 

You're right; all this has been hard for him. In some ways, it is worse for him. At least I knew my father and his girlfriend before I had to live with him full time. He barely knew anything about Jim and nothing about Spock before having to move in with them. Plus, I had a few months on Earth before being thrown into starship life. He had hours. Besides, I only had to deal with my mom dying. He also lost several friends. His mom only got infected because she was trying to protect him. I mean, I have some survivor’s guilt because my mom died while I was at Disneyland of Georgia, but I feel like noble sacrifice survivor's guilt must be significantly worse.

 

In other ways, I think it's worse for me because at least he has some good memories with his mother. He can hold onto those good moments now. With my mom and me, there was just too much bitterness and anger. I’m mad that she never stood up to the judge while living. Yes, I’m glad she had the video diaries, so I didn’t have to go live with him, but I’m angry that she protected me in death in a way she never did in life. Again, all things I’m working on with Margarita.

 

I've had about a week of classes with the new students, and it's going okay so far. They kind of just stick to themselves. I'm trying to reach out, but it's not going as well as I hope. Only the daughter of our new therapist is really integrating herself into our classes and ship life. That does not entirely surprise me. It’s probably weird being dropped off on a starship in October. However, I’m happy to say nobody is Jeremy level awful.

 

I'm happy to know the sale of the house is going well. You're right for letting the lawyers handle it. I think it’s better for all of us if we just leave the judge behind in Georgia at this point.

 

I'm not surprised that other people knew what was going on and did nothing. I've had some conversations with Ashley 2 and Uncle Jim, they experienced something very similar regarding their own abuse. There were always people around who were suspicious, but they did nothing. We all agreed that their apathy was always the worst. At least the judge only ever hit me. What happened to Uncle Jim was so much worse. I only know the bare basics of what his stepfather did to him, but that is bad enough.

 

I am grateful to have all these real friends. I didn’t think I would have them, but I’m glad that I do. It’s been helpful through all of this.

 

Anyway? Pictures attached from the ice cream social. There may have been a little food fight. Don't tell Uncle Jim.

 

Xxxxx

From: SulxuHG2260

 

To: Elizabeth_Chen

 

Time arrived: 10/11/2260 20:37:24

 

Subject: Thank you for getting the ring for me

 

I'm not even surprised to find out my sister has two weddings a weekend. This is pretty much how she dealt with the miscarriage. I’m surprised she hasn't emailed me yet to discuss wedding plans. Ben and I only had like 10 more minutes to talk after everybody left after the champagne toast. We are thinking about doing the wedding in January when Enterprise is stationed near the new Vulcan colony.

 

Although I'm wondering if we should wait another six months and do it in Yorktown. January is summer on the Vulcan colony. I don’t know if my human body can take getting married on a Vulcan planet in summer. We would all be sweltering in our formalwear. I saw pictures of Jim’s ceremony last year. He was covered in sweat, and that was a spring ceremony.

 

 

It feels weird talking to you after we've already talked twice. The mail delay is just so strange. Half of the stuff in your letter, I already knew. I am glad that the judge in the custody case did things for good.

 

It was also so great to see all of you. The babies have gotten so big. Thank you again for helping with the proposal. You were so right about that, and I couldn't have done it without you. You are wonderful. Thank you for everything you did. You are wonderful.

 

I adore Pav I really do, but I think you're right that he started active duty too soon. You know his first mission was Vulcan? Losing that many people so quickly will hurt you. I was in my mid-20s, and I had trouble processing, so it must be worse at 17. I should probably suggest quality time with Margarita or the other therapist, but I'm not sure how to approach him.

 

Plus, the anniversary of his sister’s death is coming up in a couple weeks. So, you know that the random rebound comfort hookups are going to become even more frequent. I’m hoping that our time on the volcano planet will keep him so busy that he won’t have time to think about it, but who knows.

 

I am looking forward to quality plant time. I love quality plant time.

 

I'm kind of happy that we've become this big extended family. It could've gone very differently, but we’re all there for each other. I really like that about our family. We may not be traditional, but we care about each other.

 

About your question, Jo Jo has already mentioned something about her grandfather being physically abusive to her mom, to Peter anyway. They were playing whose grandfather is worse. Peter won this contest, but it was tighter than I thought it would be, considering Peter’s grandfather murdered his daughter. Although the judge drove his daughter to drink and she died, wrapping her car around the tree while intoxicated, so some may argue that he directly contributed to her death.

 

Right now, I think this is just something she's going to have to work out with Dr. Margarita. I believe she has been working through things. She smiles more than she did back in February. It probably helps that she has some friends at least.

 

Anyway, I did get the pictures. Everything arrived when we were on Starbase. I also received the care package. Bless you for sending skittles. You know I love those. Thank you for the white castle replicator code. Jim has programmed it into the officer replicator under the fake label of mushroom soup. Spock was annoyed at Jim for doing that since he accidentally ordered the mushroom soup thinking it was vegetarian, only to get a slider.

 

Anyway, write back to me when you can and send more pictures. Give the babies hugs for me. Tell them both I love and miss them and can't wait to see them again.

 

Also, best wishes on surviving Starfleet Academy. I know you can do it.

To be continued

 

Chapter 94: Day 234: Better Judgement Comes with Age

Summary:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You were all wonderful. Thank you for all your comments and kudos. You keep me writing.

I'm so sorry that I essentially disappeared for the last 5 weeks. Finishing a story and buying a house takes a lot of energy. The day that I last updated for this story, I viewed the house that I ended up buying. So, the next five weeks were mostly filled with purchasing a home and packing. However, Hydra lullaby is done, and I’m mostly unpacked from moving. I’m hopeful that I can get back on an every other week schedule and maybe even eventually go back to weekly posts. We shall see.

Chapter Text




Xxx

From: Kevin KR

To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny

Time arrived: 10/14/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I am not a clingy koala


I’m starting to like your husband more and more. Obviously, he's your voice of reason. I'm aware that most 17-year-old boys don't always make the best decisions when it comes to hookups. I'm getting better because apparently, 20 is when the commonsense kicks in. You are so right. I will never ever do better than Liz. She is a goddess among women.


I got the shovel talk from Ming because the sister of Sue’s ex asshole boyfriend caught us yesterday, trying to buy an engagement ring for the Sulu proposal. She’s not actually against us getting married; she just doesn’t want it to happen for at least three more years. I am not against that timetable. Although I can call her by her first name now when not on the job, so progress.


Good news, I have a brand-new adviser because Nyota’s mom stepped in, bless her. Unwelcome news, I think I’m going to have to do my semester on ship during the winter semester. Apparently, it will get me completely off track if I defer until next fall because I can’t do it in the summer without special permission from my girlfriend's mother.


Liz is resigned to it. She knows I would like to wait until summer, but we literally must ask her mom to approve a summer position. Even Nyota's mom can't do it, and she's now the head of the Academy. We don't want to give even the impression of nepotism, so we are not going to ask.


After a lengthy discussion with my girlfriend, I have put in applications for Discovery along with a few other ships that do diplomatic stuff like the Rice and the Albright. I really wish I could read your bad captain list, but Spock is probably right that your email has been monitored. I’ve heard some interesting stuff while I was interning with Liz’s mom.


I’m sure you know by now that my girlfriend is absolutely furious due to the brand-new Kobayashi Maru that we all know you are responsible for. The only thing going in her favor right now is I can be her first officer for the simulation. Okay, and she didn't get stuck doing a report on the Tarsus catastrophe. I don’t think either of us would be mentally stable enough to write out what went wrong and what better choices could have been made. Thank god, nobody knows that I was there. I don't want to help anybody with that project.


Peter, even though adorable, is bringing back all sorts of bad memories. I don’t need another trigger. I’m already back to going to therapy twice a week, thank you very much. I am too busy for more sessions.


I know Liz wrote to you to see if you would be willing to let her interview you for her essay. I understand if you don’t want to. It’s a lot, and I don’t want you to do something that may send you back to therapy two times a week. I doubt that you have time for more sessions.


We’re getting the hang of balancing schoolwork with childcare, although mom is in London, so she's not helping with babysitting as much. Ben is now living in our apartment building, so we have been teaming up for co-parenting. Yes, get Sue that book because she's going to need it. Liz wasn’t going to tell her about the engagement until after the engagement happened, but she needed somebody to vent to about Sue's ex-boyfriend's little sister screwing with us on social media. I hate her so much.


Also, I’m a little annoyed at you for yesterday's emergency email with an awful subject line. Although now that I think about it, your husband was probably the one that sent that. However, I’m just going to remind myself that he kept you from asking inappropriate questions.


Yes, some people tried to bring up the Georgia incident to Starfleet Academy judiciaries. However, Nyota’s mother just started laughing. Seriously, she just started laughing. Apparently, it’s very against Starfleet policy to punish a cadet for preventing domestic abuse even if it’s between father and daughter. So, nothing’s going to happen in that regard.


I was not a clingy koala bear. I just needed a hug because I was still dealing with watching my entire family being murdered and way too much sexual assault. This might be why I didn't see the Christine situation the way everyone else does because my views on sex are really fucked up. I probably should make an extra appointment with my therapist. Although Christine is on Delta Vega, it doesn't matter anymore. 


So, could you please fix your email system so you can recall outside messages? I am still shocked I haven’t received an angry email from Nyota for the things we accidentally told Jo Jo. I am expecting that quite soon, actually.


Anyway, please write back when you have time. I want to know if the care package did arrive and what Peter thinks. Also, keep sending pictures. He's adorable even if he's clinging to you for dear life.  


Xxxxx


From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny


To: Kevin KR


Time sent: 10/14/2260 22:23:01


Subject: Re: I am not a clingy koala bear


Do you want me to get out the pictures because I will? I should because Peter would find it all fascinating. He really does want to know more about the family, and I'm sure he would find it adorable. You were totally a clingy koala bear as a child, and I was happy to give you as many hugs as you needed because I needed them too. We were all working through a lot of shit at the time. You’re not the only one who needed extra therapy time to deal with all the memories that this is bringing back.


Peter is getting a little less clingy. He’s been hanging around with Dr. Diaz’s daughter in addition to the Ashley crew and Jo Jo. The other new kids are still getting acclimated, which I understand because getting used to a new school is always difficult. It must be so much worse when that new school is on a starship traveling to the middle of nowhere.


I am going to help your girlfriend as soon as she emails me her questions. I'm sure it's taking Liz a while to figure out how much I can tell her about what really happened during the Battle of Vulcan. However, I've already been putting my thoughts together. Spock and I’ve even chatted about it a little bit. Our consensus is terrible choices were made all around. My husband is still processing his Amanda guilt and has a list of at least 50 things he could do differently to prevent the death of his mother.


We both agree we are going to need legal counsel on this one because I’m not sure how much I can say. A lot of things about what happened to Vulcan are not part of the public record, including, but not limited to the truth about my husband's "grandfather." Also, no official version contains anything about me manipulating my future husband into choking me and accidentally forming a mental bond just because I had to get him declared emotionally compromised. I’m pretty sure I’m not allowed to talk about that. Of course, I wouldn't even need to do that if Starfleet allowed more people than just the ship therapist to declare a Captain mentally compromised and relieve them of their duty. Unfortunately, the ship therapist was killed with the CMO, and you can see how this can reveal a lot of things. I’m not sure how much your future mother-in-law wants her daughters Prof. to know about. Probably not this much.


I don't blame you for not wanting to help the person working on the Tarsus project. I read the only slightly redacted Tarsus report, and I threw up twice. So, I can understand not wanting to relive it.


I don't want to dig up all the bad memories from the battle of Vulcan myself, but I owe Liz since apparently, I'm the reason why the Kobayashi Maru now requires essay writing. However, Spock is out. He might provide me little tidbits, but I don't want him to get stuck in an 'I could've saved Amanda if I did this or that' loop. Spock was extremely depressed in the months following his mother's death, and I don't want him to go back to that mind space.


Sorry, I can't allow for recalling of outside messages. That’s a Starfleet thing that I can’t override. I've tried it, and I've been unsuccessful so far. I know what you accidentally said to my pseudo-niece. Nyota isn’t holding that against you. Although she did have a very long conversation about the concept of statutory rape with the 12-year-old. Considering I was already sexually assaulted by my stepfather at this age, this conversation was probably well overdue.


Now she does hold what happened against Christine. They're not friends anymore; that was all Christine’s doing. Let’s just say all that was a mess. So, it turns out I can block emails from Starfleet personnel from their private accounts and her work accounts.


I’m sorry we didn’t get to talk during the engagement party. I mean, really, we only had time for a toast, and then we had to leave Ben and Sulu to do preliminary wedding plans. It's going to either be on New Vulcan in the dead of new Vulcan summer or Yorktown during Starfleet summer. After having a wedding during New Vulcan spring, I'm going to go with Yorktown in summer. You remember how hot everything was, and it was just spring. Although if they're having an Earth ceremony and not a Vulcan wedding ceremony, then they can have it inside.


We are currently four days into our new mission exploring the planet of a thousand volcanoes. We’re going to see if Peter can take Spock spending quality time on the planet with the away team. Our new science officer requested that Spock help with the research. I'm not perfectly okay with my husband being surrounded by volcanoes, but he promises not to go inside of one again. That's really all I can hope for. He's happy to be doing science with the team, so I must let him. Thankfully Peter is being less of a koala. I hope he has gotten to the point that he won't have a panic attack. Fingers crossed.


Peter says thank you for all the comic books. He loves them all and has been reading, including the one about the anamorphic duck superhero that adopts a precocious orphan. It’s been helping him work through some issues. Thank you for all the toys too. We didn't get to take much from the colony because of contamination risk, not that there was much to begin with. So, I’m glad that he has more stuff.


There is a storage unit in Iowa that belonged to Peter’s mom. I'm currently trying to get it moved to San Francisco and merged with mine and Spock’s stuff, but we might have to ask you to help with it. You know how difficult it is to do anything from the middle of deep space. I’m still shocked we were able to pull off the proposal. That's the last resort because I'm not sure how much you want to go to Iowa again.


I’m sorry that you’re not able to defer your semester on ship until summer. However, I think Discovery will be the right place for you. I mean it must be more interesting than spending quality time surveying volcanic planets. I wish we were at least going to places with populations to observe. Instead, I feel like we are looking for pretty places to colonize. Although I'm not sure why they're interested in the planet of a thousand volcanoes. Maybe energy production.


I am not surprised about the misuse of judiciaries. Although I am surprised about Nyota’s mom having a laughing fit. I feel like maybe she could use that with the ex-husband being a dick. You probably should check in on her about that.


Anyway, more artwork by your precocious little nephew and favorite pseudo-niece. Good news, Peter is starting to call me Uncle Jim occasionally. So, progress. Little by little I think we’re getting there.


Let me know how classes are going. I’m sure by the time you get this, it will probably be midterm season.

To be continued

Chapter 95: Day 239: Greetings from the New Vulcan colony

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all lovely.

Day 239: Greetings from the New Vulcan colony

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 10/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Re: You have been busy

I will admit that I have been doing a lot more at work than I usually do because I am, as you stated, creating a new field of psychology. The Vulcan mind is different than the human mind and no other species in the universe has gone through such a cataclysmic near extinction-level event at this point in their development. This is a type of trauma that hasn’t been dealt with before, so yes, my work life is busy, mostly writing research papers.

I cannot live on work alone. I have a few friends that I've made on the colony, most of which are related to you by marriage, but I'm very much alone most of the time. Talking to you helps ease the loneliness a little bit.

Kevin's sources were accurate, and I heard from your father-in-law that you guys are going to be in the sector for a few months doing planetary exploration and other work nearby starting in early December. I’m hoping you’ll get to stop by occasionally. Maybe Peter could even stay on the colony a little bit, not necessarily with me, but with his grandfather. It's totally tradition to leave kids over summer break with the grandparents, and you will be coming to the colony during summer.

Do you think Peter is now emotionally ready for that? Don't blame yourself for his reaction when you went on your first away mission. It takes time to adjust after going through something so traumatic. It's normal for him to have nightmares. I assume you're working with Margarita on that.

I’m aware of Dr. Diaz formally of the Hamilton and soon to be on Enterprise. She was on my shortlist last time, but it was decided she would be of more use on the Hamilton. However, I know she wouldn't be involved in anything like the latest conspiracy. I feel like Lizzy’s mom will make sure stuff like that doesn’t happen. Of course, Jeremy slipped through, but nobody thinks a child is an instrument of evil.

If I’m doing the math right in my head, I assume that you'll be getting this after interns and the new children for the program arrived. How is that going?

Also, with a ship as big as Enterprise, getting 50 interns is normal. Although they usually don’t send them to ships doing in-depth space exploration. As you mentioned, Starfleet is different right now due to all the losses from Vulcan and the fallout from the Vengeance incident. Maybe they want the new generation to get a better look at what Starfleet life is really like. Break those new cadets in early.

I think you’re right that older Starfleet members might be beneficial right now. I know they’ve already changed the mandatory retirement age. I know a few friends that have been called back in for active duty from their retirement. The policies, as written, do need to be changed. We must change after what happened, there’s no choice.

I'm glad you wrote the counterpart directly. I assume the elder probably got his email at the same time I got mine, so I'm putting up my pictures, and he can look at them while we have tea together this afternoon.

Yes, I did write to your mom and brother. I haven't heard back yet, but that makes sense. You're closer. So, I might get a reply from you first.

I know I’ve told you this many times dealing with grief is not a sprint, but a test of endurance. Everybody handles it differently, and that's okay if you do handle it. Come to think of it, my wife told you this many times before. You didn't exactly listen to that advice after her death though I don't think I really did either. We were both a bit of a mess. That's okay.

In time we moved past that initial reaction and have recalibrated ourselves. Sometimes that grief can come back at the weirdest moments. I wish she were with me right now. I feel like she would be so much better at creating the field of Vulcan psychology, then I would. Of the two of us, she was always the one with more empathy and patience. Alayna could understand any patient. I miss her so much when I’m dealing with a patient that drives me nuts because she would not be affected at all.

I’m always going to miss my wife, just like you're still going to miss Sam and I would be worried if Peter didn't make you remember your brother. That just shows what a great person you are as well as how compassionate you are. You feel things very profoundly, James, you always have.

At the same time, I think you're your own worst critic. You're always very hard on yourself, and it doesn't help when there are assholes around telling you that you only got where you are because of sexual favors or similar bullshit. I'm going to tell you not to listen to that, but I've been your friend and doctor long enough to know better. Those types of comments do get to you. They shouldn't because they're not true at all, but there's this part of you that believes the lies. I don’t know how to make you realize that they are lies, but I’m trying.

Anyway, best of luck on whatever you're doing. May the interns not drive you crazy.

Xxxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time arrived: 10/19/2260 13:14:31
Subject: Why did I get the pothead interns that are underage?

All the interns are driving me insane. Now that I no longer must worry about the kids breaking into engineering or botany to get wasted or baked, the new interns are doing it. The ones that are 16 to 19 anyway. The older ones know better. Yes, let's give Enterprise all the Starfleet Academy interns/future officers that are technically still teenagers. You know, while we’re reconsidering the maximum age of the Starfleet officer, maybe we should also look at the minimum age. I don’t think 16 should be it.

In contrast, the new kids are exceptionally well behaved and haven’t been trying to make their way into botany for “Vulcan headache medication”. Bless Gina for keeping all the kids under control. Of course, we've gone from having three Ashleys to now also having three Chrises, and none of them are named Christopher. We have a Christina who is currently in the process of legally changing their name to Chris, a Christiana, and a Charles. Technically they all have distinct names, but they all want to go by Chris. As somebody that only lets their therapist and their husband call them by their given name, I will oblige.

I am looking forward to seeing you soon. I think we might have time to do a day trip or two. We could even be having a wedding. Ben and Sulu got engaged a couple weeks ago, although I am trying to talk them out of a New Vulcan wedding. I was sunburnt for like two weeks after the ceremony because apparently, SPF 200 sunscreen doesn't last for the length of a traditional Vulcan marriage ceremony. Allegedly, it couldn't be a traditional Vulcan ceremony with a tent. Would a tent upend tradition that much? Sorry, I'm ranting because I'm still bitter.

There’s nothing wrong with being friends with the family of my husband. They’re good Vulcans, even my father-in-law who glares at me a lot, and you know I’m very partial to Spocks. I’m glad the counterpart is coming over for tea. It’s probably good for him. It must be lonely being in another timeline away from everything you knew and yet simultaneously surrounded by what seems like cheap knockoffs. That may be problematic.

So good news, Spock has been on the planet for the last three days, and Peter has not woken up in the middle of the night screaming and crying. We have not had a repeat of the panic attack incident. Okay, he is sleeping in our room with me on the couch, but he is handling Spock not being there. That’s all I can ask for.

It helps that Spock has been video calling him every night. It helps me too. I also told Peter that he could text Spock at any time if he got scared, but he hasn't had to use that yet. So, fingers crossed that nothing goes horribly wrong.

As soon as I dictate that I get called to the bridge before I can even enjoy my lunch in peace. Something weird is going on down on the planet, and I must check it out.
I will update you later.
Xxxxx

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 10/19/2260 22:49:43
Subject: So sentient volcanic rock creatures are a thing

Did you know that Vulcans can mind-meld with sentient volcanic rock creatures? Also, did you know that all our scans for life completely missed the sentient volcanic rock creatures? We just discovered this.

Said sentient volcanic rock creatures are kind of mad at us for running all sorts of tests without permission, not that we realized there was anyone to ask permission of. They didn’t buy that excuse.

They want us off their planet now and we are complying after we lost one security team member and almost lost an intern. I'm so glad Spock is going to have to deliver this report to Rodriguez because if I did it, she's going to assume that I broke into the “Vulcan headache medication.” This is one of those wild Starfleet stories that no one believes.

I’m not sure how this is going to affect Peter’s separation anxiety. On the positive side, Spock came back to the ship. Okay, one team member didn't, and we have an intern in medical, but Spock came back in one piece, mostly. However, he did come back with green blood running down the side of his face, which Peter saw. Also, Spock broke his wrist. Mind melding with volcanic rock creatures can be dangerous. Yet, currently Spock is typing up his report to Rodriguez as Peter sleeps on top of him. It’s kind of adorable.

I’m leaning my head against him because I do not like the thought of my husband getting beat up by sentient volcanic rock creatures. I already have Spock dying because of a volcano issues; this is just going to add to those. You know I don't even want to think about losing my husband. Of course, your letter from earlier reminded me that that’s a possibility. I don’t want to outlive my husband. That’s like my greatest fear.

I’ve already lost a lot of people that I love, including my brother, Chris, and Alayna. I don’t want to add anybody else to that list. Some may think that I should include George, but you can’t lose someone you never had. Sam lost a father, I didn’t. I never had one, not until Chris and you know what happened there.

Some days losing him still hurts. There are days when I would love to call him and ask him if I’m doing the right thing with Peter. I just want to hear his voice. Like he should be in London picking out paint for the new nursery; instead, mom is there filling that role. Although maybe she sees it as paying it forward. Chris was there for me when she couldn't be, and now she's going to be there for Chris's twins when he can't be. Maybe there is some sort of beauty to that. I don't know.

I do know that family is not all about blood. It’s about the connections we make and the people that keep us tethered to reality. Family is about the people we let into our heart, and I think I've made a good family for myself.

Anyway, I’m done rambling for the night. I’m going to figure out how to get my 12-year-old to his room without waking him up. Wish me luck.

To be continued

Chapter 96: Day 240: Ghosts of Timelines Pass

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. Time to spend a moment with our other favorite Vulcan.

Chapter Text

From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time sent: 10/20/2260 22:56:51

Subject Return Greetings from the New Vulcan Colony

It is wonderful to hear from you, old friend. Although I do enjoy receiving pictures from you and your spouse on occasion, I treasure your letters even more. I am pleased that you found time to write to me. I am aware of how busy the life of the First Officer of Enterprise can truly be.

 

Yes, something similar happened in my time, but several years later. I wonder why the incident occurred significantly earlier, but I have no definitive answers. Many things have happened sooner in this timeline, such as the fact your navigator is several years older than the Chekhov I knew. Although genetically, they are probably not the same person, just mere genetic siblings that share the same name.

 

I am uncertain regarding Arlene's family life. I do know that Winona was granted full custody of Peter after the death of his parents; all other options were unsuitable. Although he was born later in my original timeline. This is not surprising; the universe has a way of setting things right. This may be an opportune time to renew my research into string theory. Although, I am grateful that despite losing Sam earlier, you will still have Peter in your life.

 

Yes, I have met Spock’s new foster sister. I know her from my previous life. I considered fostering her myself, but I am unable to do so for health reasons. Not to alarm you, but I am having some heart-related issues. I am under treatment, but I think it is best that my father will be her foster parent than myself. I will instead function as a mentor to the other young Vulcans of the colony.

 

At tea this afternoon with Dr. Suarez, I did find out that you and Spock will be nearby soon. I hope you will have time to stop by and have tea if time permits. I also got to see your pictures of young Peter. He looks more like you than the Peter of my timeline, and that makes sense because they wouldn’t be genetically the same child. I assume Peter’s mother in both timelines just really liked that name, the same with Sulu and Susan. Their daughter was born 10 years later under slightly different circumstances. They were best friends who wanted to have a child, but never met anyone to start a family with, so decided to do it together.

 

I’m sorry to hear about the consequences of the radiation incident. Because I was brought back with the Genesis machine instead of the way you were, I did not have the same side effects. I am grateful that you found a new pathway to parenthood.

 

Like Spock, I did have a foster sister growing up. Amanda always wanted another child after I was born, a daughter. They tried for many years, but were unable to conceive again. And then, due to tragic circumstances, Michelle came into our lives, and we were enriched because of it. Maybe I did not feel that way at the time, but as I got older, I genuinely begin to appreciate her.

 

My mother and, now I know, my father loved her just as much as my brother and me. Parents love their children no matter how they come into the world. The great ones anyway, and I know that you will be an exquisite parent. All the qualities are there, you just need to believe in yourself.

 

I am sorry to hear that your Spock only had his Michelle in his life for a few months, but I am sure she made an impression in that brief time. I have also heard that she’s captain of Discovery, which does not surprise me in the least. She was an exceptional woman.

 

I am sorry that you had to go through this loss, although very different than what my Jim went through. I am sure you might be feeling angry because you did not know about your nephew, and you're not able to ask why he was kept from you. Or maybe you’re feeling angry because you could not prevent what happened before Peter became an orphan.

 

I was planning to keep the parasite from reaching the colony, but I thought I had more time. I must remember to tell myself that things are different here and that my past cannot predict this present.  Sometimes it is difficult to reconcile that, but despite some of the “bumps," I am enjoying this present.

 

I look forward to spending time with you as well as meeting Peter if our schedules align. I think it will be an enjoyable experience and I hope you do find the time.

 

PS: I was also told to tell you that Dr. Suarez received a letter from both your brother Kevin and your mother. Apparently, both were happy that she reached out. Although I know nothing else of what the correspondence said. Dr. Suarez takes the confidentiality of her friends very seriously. I expect nothing less of her because she has been an excellent companion to me so far. It's helpful that I can be honest with her. With other people, I must pretend to be someone else, which can be stressful at times.  

 

Xxxxx

From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek

Time sent: 10/20/2260 22:56:51

Subject: Re: Return Greetings from the New Vulcan Colony

It must be exhausting trying to be your own grandfather 95% of the time. There’s so much that you can’t say, and that must be very difficult for you. I’m thrilled that you have at least somebody in your life that you can be completely honest with. Dr. Suarez is someone you can be honest with. I’ve told her things over the years that no one else knows about, not even my husband and she’s always kept that trust.

 

I’m not surprised she wouldn’t tell you more about her correspondence with my mom and brother. She really believes in the integrity and sanctity of doctor-patient confidentiality, even though none of us are technically her patients anymore, but at the heart of the situation, it's still the same principle.

 

I knew Amanda had fertility issues. My husband told me about those to make me feel better about my own problems. Apparently, that’s one of the things that both timelines have in common. You make it sound like your Michelle never became a captain. Was the Starfleet glass ceiling worse (a.k.a. the assholes contingent), or did something happen that you don’t want to talk about? Maybe I am better not knowing.

 

Maybe some things in life can’t be changed, or perhaps if you do change them, things can be a lot worse. In the long run, it might be better to let the world go forward without interference. At least with the little stuff. Feel free to meddle with the important things.

 

For example, I am grateful that my husband never died, mainly because we wouldn't have a way to bring him back. In this reality, Marcus was such a warmonger that Carol never developed the Genesis device. She was too busy working on the perfect torpedo to make daddy happy. I'm not sure the magical blood would work for my Spock and to be honest, I don't think I would be strong enough to catch the ass hole. However, I totally would have tried.

 

She's going back to the Academy to complete her biology doctorate with her wife tagging along. Let’s just say, I’m happy for some things being different. Rebecca is such a great person. I'm sad to see her go, but sometimes your other self acts like a jealous toddler.

 

What’s wrong with your heart, or is that something that you can’t tell me? I feel like that's probably something you are unable to disclose to me. I hope whatever your medical issues are, you'll make a quick and fast recovery. You probably don't want to hear this, but it's kind of nice to have a grandfather/father-like figure around. I miss Chris, and George was never there. Because of George being gone, all Kirk family relationships were strained at best. Okay, it was a hot mess. It would be nice if you were sticking around for a little while.

 

Yes, a first officer’s work is never done, and the last 24 hours have given me such a headache. Did you know that there is such a thing as sentient volcanic rock creatures? We met some yesterday. As you can imagine, it went badly until Spock realized that he could mind-meld with said rock creatures. Of course, we lost a redshirt before Spock realized he could mind meld with said volcanic rock creatures. Spock refuses to let me write the condolence letter because he is totally blaming himself. Do you ever have a mission that weird before? This is like one for the books for us.

 

I'm not even sure Rodriguez believes us. She's probably going to need the body cam footage. Just watching it made me nauseous. I am tired of watching my husband almost get killed by volcanoes. Technically the last time happened before we were married, but we were engaged at the time. So, it still counts.

 

We are waiting for orders right now. If they tell us to go back to continue the survey, I think we might have a mutiny. I really wish they would hurry up and tell us what’s going to happen next, but they probably do want to watch the footage, and that's going to mean another 24 hours just holding in place. I hope the volcanic rock creatures don’t have a way to attack us this far out. Fingers crossed. They were ridiculously annoyed with us.

 

I don’t think you should fix everything. I don't fault you for not trying. You're just one person, and you can't do everything. There are moments where you need to focus on yourself for your own mental health. Or in your case, even physical health. Stress can't be good for one's heart. Also, now you're going to make me drag Spock to Bones for a preventative health checkup.

 

I don’t know if we will have time to stop by with Starfleet being Starfleet. Also, if we do have time to do anything not mission-related, you know we are going to have to go over to Spock’s dad’s house. We might even have to stay there again. At least Peter will get his own bedroom and will get to hang out with someone else’s age. He already adores his foster aunt. Or maybe we should just view them as cousins. This age gap thing is weird.

 

Your father built an enormous house for someone who was planning to live there alone. Although maybe he always knew he was going to be a foster parent. Who knows with your father? I’ve already decided not to question the motivations of my father-in-law. I think it’s easier that way.

 

 Anyway, write back when you have time. Attached are more pictures of the kids being adorable. They’re mad that I took shots during classes, but the Admiralty is making me write a report about the program. Because of course, they are. Anyway, write me back when you get a chance. I’ll try to be better about including longer messages than “I sent you pictures of My Space children” in the future.

PS: I am not surprised about Sue and Sulu coming to an arrangement in the other timeline. Sulu’s fiancé is only free to marry him because his first husband died during the Battle of Vulcan. 

To be continued

Chapter 97: Day 244: Coming to an Understanding

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. It was fun writing an older Spock. Also, did you catch some foreshadowing regarding certain things that happened in Star Trek Beyond?

Chapter Text

From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 10/24/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for the pictures of your birthday
Thank you for sending the birthday pictures. I’m happy to see everybody having such a great time together. Also, it was just adorable to see your boyfriend feeding you cake. The two of you are good together. I’m glad you found somebody who really cares about you. That’s just obvious from the way he looks at you alone. That’s all I really want for you.

I am sorry that the situation has become so toxic with your father. I wish it didn’t come to that, but I can understand why you need to keep your distance from him. I promise to keep trying to reach out even though it feels awkward at times.

I’m sorry about not being there for you when you lost Marc and Gaila. I should’ve tried harder. All of us lost friends during the battle of Vulcan. I lost Sarah and her wife. They were serving together on one of the ships that was destroyed.

Sarah always told me to leave your dad, but I didn’t do it until after she was gone. She was my Marc, and I don’t think I’m ever going to replace her. I don’t think you’ve ever replaced him, but you do have all these new people in your life like Jim and Sulu. I am so glad that you do.

I’m sorry that your friend is getting transferred far away. This happens, but Sarah and I remained friends through dozens of different assignments, so I think you and Rebecca could do similar. Your real friends stay with you no matter where you end up in the galaxy.

Also, congratulations on getting toxic people out of your life. Ming told me all about Pike’s problematic niece, probably things you don’t even know. I hope she gets her head on straight on Delta Vega. I heard there is an excellent therapist assigned to the research settlement there. I hope she makes good use of it because there are issues that need to be worked out. That’s something Christine needs to work on. You don’t need to concern yourself with it.

Ming has decided that she is taking me to her Starfleet grandmothers' support group. I don’t know how that is going to work, but I heard they have excellent wine and cookies. I’m going to try at least once. I could use a nice cookie and a glass of wine.

I assume that the switch out has happened by this point. I think I heard something about Enterprise surveying some volcanic planets soon. I don’t really get to know that sort of thing anymore since I’m at the Academy doing Barnett’s old job. He is so happy to be doing something off-planet now that the kids are in high school.

I only know about the crew switch out thing because I just sent 50 interns there. I expect Jim and Spock to send them back to me in better shape than when they left the Academy. Or at the very least, I hope that a bunch of them resign. I didn’t purposely send the worst interns to Enterprise, but the Kirks do have a reputation for handling problem children.

PS: I also heard from Ming that her youngest daughter is helping somebody on Enterprise plan an elaborate proposal. Is there something you need to tell me?

Xxxxx
From: NyotaUM
To: MomOU
Time arrived: 10/24/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for the pictures of your birthday
I’m glad you like the pictures. I sent more from the Star base. Yes, the crew switch out happened. I may have cried a lot hugging Rebecca. I’m expecting my first email from her any day. We did promise we would stay in touch, and I think that will happen.

I’m not as upset about the end of my relationship with Christine as I thought I would be. We’ve been drifting apart for a while, and what she said about wishing her aunt would have a miscarriage was just too much. She should’ve known not to say something like that to me after what happened. She knew I was a mess after losing the baby. Why is she so angry about her aunt having a kid? Is this kind of like jealous kids’ syndrome? I’ve heard of that. I hope this is not actually a thing because I do not want to deal with Josephine freaking out if I ever get pregnant again.

Which isn’t going to happen until the end of the five-year mission. I’ll barely be in my early 30s, which is still prime childbearing age and I could always freeze some eggs. And yes, Leonard is perfectly okay having a kid when Josephine’s ready to go to college. You know writing that down made me realize that we are planning to be together in five years. Which makes sense, I adopted his daughter. Like if things fall apart, she will still be my responsibility and be my child, but I don’t think things will.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I was not the Enterprise crewmember getting engaged. That would be Sulu and his boyfriend Ben. They’ve been together about a year, maybe a little longer, but it’s real and they don’t have anywhere near as much marriage related baggage as my current boyfriend.

I’m not sure if you’re aware of how messy Leonard’s divorce was, but it was legendary. The first time I met Leonard, or rather the first time I was exposed to him, I overheard him tell Jim that the only thing the ex-wife left him was his bones. It turns out that wasn’t hyperbole. She took everything from the family business to full custody of Josephine. It wasn’t until right before her death, almost 5 years after the divorce, that Leonard was starting to get any decent visitation and that was only because Jim and Spock were paying for his new legal team.

Leonard and his first wife were totally wrong for each other. Add an overbearing father and substance abuse issues, and you have a recipe for absolute disaster. I’m sure because of that there’s this little part of his mind that may be a bit hesitant.

Then there’s me who keeps losing people. I lost two friends to death and almost lost a third. I think a part of me is just afraid of losing more people I love, which might explain our break last year or at least part of it. It was more people than that. Grandma hurt so much. Sarah was where I spent summers after losing her so that one hurt too, but I think I can only process one loss at a time.

Yes, she would’ve been so happy that you left dad. That relationship was toxic. Which I think may add even more fuel to my marriage issues.

So just because there’s not a ring anytime soon doesn’t mean we're not committed to each other because we are. As I mentioned earlier, we share a child together. Children are a more significant commitment than marriage. Children are forever and I think at some point we will expand our family. I don’t know when, but we will.
Anyway, I’ll write back later. Something is happening and I’m being called to the bridge at this hour. That is never a good thing.

Chapter 98: Day 247: You better be in the wedding

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. I left you with a slight cliffhanger. We will start to get answers.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Day 247: You better be in the wedding

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 10/27/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I better be in the bridal party.

Sorry I didn’t write earlier. Our outside messages are getting to us very sporadically now. However, mom sent a letter which must have magically broken the dam. Therefore, I get to read your message and see the pictures, which was odd because pictures usually show up a few days before the emails.

 

Thank your captain for me for allowing you to send me pictures from your last long-term assignment. That planet really was beautiful. I hope we don’t try to colonize it anytime soon. Is it just me, or does the Federation have a colonization problem? It’s like we see a pretty planet, and we must put our flag on it.

Don’t mind me. I’m just thinking about the last negotiation that went badly. I am personally surprised that the ambassador on board hasn’t strangled the captain yet since he is the reason why it went badly. Ambassador Garber is trying to convince the people of the planet to give us a second audience. I’m not sure how that’s going to go because, thanks to my captain, they pretty much hate Starfleet in general right now. He gives a terrible first impression of the organization.

 

So, I heard from a certain little sister and my mother that you are planning to put a ring on it. Apparently, she is the one picking out your ring. My mom, on the other hand, thinks you and I are part of a polyamorous relationship and was worried that my feelings were hurt by you proposing to Ben and not me. Maybe my mom is reading my emails and saw that message from Ben, where he said he’s totally cool if our shore leave aligns, and we end up hooking up. I can totally see my mom reading my private emails. It is totally an abuse of power, but an absolute mom thing to do.

 

Let me say right off the bat that I am perfectly okay with you and Ben getting married. Although does that mean I lose my shore leaves freebie card? I’m so sad I couldn’t help picking out the ring, that is such a best friend duty. I am laughing my ass off at the fact that my ex-boyfriend’s little sister is now responsible for half of the Academy thinking that she is getting married because Kevin knocked her up. It shouldn’t be funny, but it is.

 

Why did I ever date that guy? Was I really that lonely and in need of human companionship? I mean obviously, it wasn’t the sex because my Pleasure Seeker 9000 is more effective. I am so happy that you’re the one who got me pregnant. Like you have no idea. You, I’m OK being linked to for life. I’m even OK with being connected to Ben for the rest of my life. He is a sweetie and has excellent taste in playgroup wine. We’ve been writing each other since I’ve been back in space. Don’t worry about him turning you down because I’m sure he will say yes. Also, since the proposal is supposed to be happening in four days, I’m sure that by the time you get this you will have already put a ring on it. I know he’s going to say yes. You belong together.

 

I usually don’t like taking advantage of my mom, which is why I am still on the Hamilton, but I am going to be at your wedding no matter how many favors I must call in. I call dibs on best person. I had to squeeze our child out of my vagina, so you owe me so very much, Hikaru.

 

Also, I better be getting video of the proposal. I wish I could’ve watched it live, but I understand that wasn’t because of all. Also, if Ambassador Garber works her magic and gets us another chance, I’m going to be planet side trying to keep things from going to shit. My head hurts so much.

 

So, have you guys talked about wedding plans yet? When will the wedding be taking place? Are you planning on a long engagement? Maybe I’ll be done with the Hamilton by the time it happens. If we’re all on Yorktown, then that would make the wedding easier from our side.

 

Now tell me about your current mission. I heard something about a volcano planet. It has to be more exciting than an endless loop of negotiations and appeasement. If Carol’s father was not dead, I would kill him myself. Everybody’s just some combination of scared and furious because of what happened, and I’m just getting a headache. This current mission is totally his fault. I can’t tell you where I am, but your former captain was born near here.

 

Anyway, congratulations on your engagement. I’m happy to make Ben a part of our co-parenting team. I miss our wine playdates. You did well.      

XXXX

   

From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 10/27/2260 23:45:01

 

Subject: Re: I better be in the bridal party.

Of course, you’re in the bridal party, and you have dibs on the first person. I’m like 90% sure Ben is going to go with Zoe, so I feel like it would be appropriate. Do not feel bad for laughing about the engagement ring thing because it really was hilarious.

 

I don’t know why you were dating him, either. Ben is better than the Pleasure Seeker 9000 because of the hugging and having someone to just talk to. I don’t think you got those things out of your last relationship. Although I am forever grateful for you bringing me in to spice things up because we have the most adorable kid ever together. I’m even more thankful for your ex-boyfriend’s inability to understand contraceptives.

 

We are family, and we always are going to be a family. Shore leave freebie card non-withstanding. You and Ben work that out without me. I will go along with whatever my boyfriend wants. Except taping it because a part of me really does think your mom really does read your emails. We’re keeping all things PG.

 

The proposal was beautiful. I cried. My sister did not go ridiculously overboard, although rose petals were eventually involved. Also, she made a scenario. An actual Starfleet scenario, I kid you not. I think she may have done an internship with protocol while I was doing undergrad. Everything was blurry from that time. This was long before she realized she was not a Starfleet person.

 

Of course, he said yes. I wasn’t worried about him saying ‘no’ because we’ve talked about it before. There was lots of crying, regardless. Part of me wishes that I could’ve waited until December when we were all be together again, but I wanted to do it now.

 

We thought about doing the wedding in December, but I think my sister would kill me if we did it that fast. I was also reminded of what summer Vulcan weddings are like. Jim sent me video of their Vulcan ceremony vow renewal in spring. He was still a sweaty mess. The human ceremony was preferable.

 

I’m glad you like the work pictures. I wish I could send you stuff from the volcano planet, but I think Starfleet is planning to bury that disaster. Good news, we only had one fatality. Bad news we had one fatality. Also, we may have sort of violated the prime directive on a technicality, but no one’s going to get in trouble for it this time. The person who screwed up was the one who did not realize that the volcanic creatures on the planet were sentient and usually don’t like trespassing.

 

Now we're on some super-secret rescue mission that involves going to the Neutral Zone. We are not even the closest ship, but something’s going on, and Starfleet, possibly your mother, specifically asked for our ship to be involved. We are meeting up with the other ship at 1800 hrs. Enterprise time. I don’t even know who the other ship is because the information is closely held and Jim and Spock are not sharing. I heard from the rumor mill that we’re going to rescue the ship’s first officer after the captain returned to the ship with a bullet to the heart and head. I don’t know who because Jim won’t tell me. Although he does give me ‘the look,’ so I wonder if it’s somebody I…

 

I’m almost tempted to delete everything else I just wrote to you since it seems just ridiculous now, but I’m not going to do. Jim convinced his husband to tell me who we’re going to rescue. So, you Amb. Garber and your Capt. missed your check-in time 13 days ago, but nobody reported that to HQ or even your admiral. So, nobody decided to mount a rescue mission. Instead, they stayed at the designated waiting point. Your captain’s body was beamed back aboard ship five days ago with an unconscious Ambassador Garber. This happened to be the first time anybody heard from those on planet.

 

Which was when the Hamilton decided to let your mom know what the fuck was going on once the ambassador woke up anyway and took over. The acting captain was a moron and possibly criminal. Oh, apparently your Captain was shot because he sold you out. He told your captors that you were the better hostage option because your mom is the head of Starfleet. Allegedly they hate traitors and cowards in that society. However, Ambassador Garber offered her life for yours which is why they let her go. Apparently, that’s respected.

 

I hope we find you. I don’t want to have to tell our baby that you’re gone. I never want to have that conversation with her. I’m going to send you this message, and I hope you read it. I hope the team finds you.

To be continued.

Notes:

Yes, a cliffhanger. We must have some drama.

Chapter 99: Day 249: Chaos, Chaos, and Hope

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

This is a reminder that Liz wrote the letter in this chapter and the next before her sister went missing.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: Kevin KR
Time arrived: 10/29/2260 00:00:01
subject: I’m so sorry I didn’t reply sooner.
I am so sorry that I did not write to you as soon as I got your letter. I was busy putting the Sulu proposal together in addition to my school stuff. I’ve been spending way too much time with Starfleet lawyers and my mother.

It was a beautiful proposal. The music was perfect, and Ben absolutely loved the ring. He was crying on the ride back home. There was lots of hugging, so I’m proud of myself for successfully pulling off a surprise, even if half the school thinks that I'm marrying Kevin because of contraceptive failure. Should I be insulted that most of them think Kevin would only marry me if the condom breaks? That is such an outdated practice. I know you wish your parents never got married. It would’ve been probably better if they just shared custody, but what’s done is done.

Anyway, I’ve included more pictures. I’ve sent them to everybody. Also, there’s video. I’m sorry you couldn’t be there to watch or that we could even talk to each other. I feel horrible about that. I love hanging out with you.

I’m also sorry time did not allow for us to even do a deep space messenger chat, but from the report I got from Winona about today’s meeting, that might be for the best. Peter isn’t used to us, which I understand. I mean he’s only met us a handful of times so of course he’s going to be nervous. Maybe it would be good for him to ask us questions in letters instead. It’s just hard with us being so far away. We’re lucky if we can exchange one letter a month.

So, I must know if your gifts arrived safely on base. I hope none of the candies or cookies mysteriously disappeared. My sister says this has happened a few times to her care packages. She was furious when this happened when she was pregnant. You do not take a pregnant woman’s Oreos from her. That’s just stupid.

It was probably best for all that Sue was on planet for the last trimester. After what happened to Jim, Starfleet doesn’t like pregnant officers in space during their last trimester. Mom is working on revisiting that policy. We’ll see how that goes.

I’m glad that you want to explore different art techniques and I hope that the books we sent you will help in that regard. I’m also sorry that the database has so little in it that’s useful. It’s geared more towards Starfleet officers and not preteens. Although you’d think with as many cultures that we meet, there would be more things about the humanities in that regard.

Unfortunately, too often, we are interacting for trade reasons or for scientific research. There’s not enough cultural exchange in Starfleet. Which has resulted in a lot of dangerous and volatile situations. My mom has stories.

I must know what your new classmates are like. Did you get an extra Ashley? Although 4 Ashley’s would be a little much. I’m just glad that the three you already have, are becoming better people. I’m happy that Ashley 3 apologized to Pav. I’m also pleased that he’s self-aware that he isn’t quite ready for a relationship with someone who is essentially a single mom.

So quick update on me. I think I’m getting better at balancing classes and childcare. Baby K and Ben have been coming around. He has been helping us with Winona in London indefinitely. She is supposed to come back by the end of October, but I think she likes it there. Although leaving Iowa for San Francisco was the first step in her healing process, maybe leaving San Francisco for London is the next in Winona’s recovery.

Classes are complicated. My actual classes are good; the Kobayashi Maru exam is the complicated part. So, my mom and your grandmother are really annoyed with the professor who was overseeing our exams regarding the cases that we were assigned. Your grandmother feels that maybe we should not have been asked to look at an incident that is currently still under active investigation.

The classmate assigned to examine the Vengeance incident, and I were given the option to choose something else. Some others might be given the same option as well, they are still looking into the situation. My classmate decided to look at some of the tough calls of Capt. Archer of the other Enterprise. I, on the other hand, am a masochist and chose to continue with my original topic.

Besides, I’ve already read the unredacted official report, and I don’t have the energy to do that again for something else. At least because of things Kevin told me, I can spot some of the discrepancies with the truth. I don’t know what I can do with those differences yet, but at least I know it’s there. I have a meeting with the moms and the lawyers this afternoon to discuss that. Then I’ll email Jim. Remember to always ask questions.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to New Vulcan in December. I don’t know if there will be a wedding. Kevin showed Ben the wedding pictures from Jim’s Vulcan ceremony, and I think it turned Ben off the concept. By the end of the ceremony, Jim kind of looked like a lobster. I don’t think Ben wants to risk that with small children. Also, Sulu’s sister does not want to plan a wedding in under three months, especially a wedding on a still developing colony. She doesn’t have vendors there yet.

Yes, I had to listen to this rant multiple times. Kevin and I have already decided that when we get married, it’s either going to happen in Vegas or Risa. We’ll have the family there, but that’s it. Also, we are going somewhere where we can just choose wedding package number six and be done with it.

PS: I am so sorry for some of the things you accidentally read last time. I am still shocked your mom hasn’t blocked my email from your account, although if I get a bounce-back, I will completely understand.

Xxx

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: Greetings from your fiancé the future Benjamin Sulu
Time arrived: 10/29/2260 00:00:01
It’s been two days, and I’m still ridiculously happy. Even my mother-in-law cried when I told her. She hasn’t met you yet, and she already likes you. She says you have excellent taste in jewelry. You already won Zoe over. She wants to be my maid of honor. Are you okay with that?

Also, both of your sisters said they would kill us if we do our wedding on the New Vulcan colony. One, it would be too hard to get shore leave on New Vulcan for one of your sisters and the other one doesn’t have vendors there yet. Expect to get a link to your digital wedding planner guide any moment. Due to the lack of time, your sister says we need to start making decisions now especially about where. I’m personally lobbying for Yorktown. The wedding planner does not have vendors there yet, but she can get some quick. I’m sure your daughter's grandmother will help.

Although we did have this very awkward conversation about not letting Sue feel like she’s being left out and to consider a polyamorous marriage. This is legal in the Federation. I’ll let you and Sue work that out. She is your freebie card and always will be. I knew that when I accepted your proposal.

After reading your letter, I’m almost positive, there was this moment where you suddenly decided to propose. I wonder how right I am.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to New Vulcan. I leave mid-November for my training time on the colony. They’ve agreed to let Zach’s mom come with me to provide childcare services. Liz and Kevin are a little cranky about that because they’re going to be losing their other favorite babysitter before finals.

Also, I look forward to celebrating our engagement properly. That’s why I’ve arranged for babysitting.
Anyway, we love you and can’t wait to see you soon.

Xxxxx

From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Re: greetings from your fiancé the future Benjamin Sulu
Time arrived: 10/29/2260 07:26:01
A part of me wants to completely revel in the fact we are already working on wedding planning, but I can’t right now. I am glad you wrote because I was going to write to you anyway. I just need someone to talk to who won’t give me that look. I can’t take anyone else looking at me with pity.

Sue had an away mission that went horrible. Like Capt. sent back to the ship extra dead due to projectile weapons horrible. That happened because he tried to trade Sue for his own freedom. If he would’ve read his pre-brief, he would’ve known they don’t like that. I’m not that sad that he’s dead. I’m more concerned about Sue.

Enterprise was assigned the rescue mission because the Admiral doesn’t trust anybody aboard the Hamilton right now other than Ambassador Garber. I just have this feeling that some other shady stuff has been discovered. I’m a mess to the point where Dr. Margarita has declared me emotionally compromised, and I am on mental health leave. Leaving me entirely out of the loop is doing very little for my mental health, but I can’t argue with Margarita.

The new therapist is helping the search teams and she knows Sue personally. Jim is on the search team. Nyota is acting “first” officer because, again, I am on mental health leave. Also, because of the situation, the kids are on lockdown in the safe room. This is due to the fact who knows what we could be running in to.

On second thought, I am going to write about wedding plans because it will get my mind off the worst-case scenario. So, I think we should get married at Yorktown this summer. Maybe right around baby D's second birthday? Not the same day, but close. Yes, Zoe can be your maid of honor. Sue already called dibs on being my best person and she will be there. I must believe that. That needs to be my happy thought right now because otherwise I’m going to cry.

Thank you for listening. I’ll write again in a couple of days, hopefully with a proper update and possibly more wedding ideas.

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Elizabeth_Chen
cc: Kevin KR
time sent: 10/29/2260 12:49:31
Subject: Thank you for all your gifts

Yes, everything did arrive in pristine condition. We even made effective use of the cookies in the last couple of days. We are essentially on lockdown because Enterprise is taking part in a rescue mission. A first officer was kidnapped during a routine diplomatic mission because the captain sold her out, or at least that’s what the rumor mill is saying. I don’t even know what ship or who is involved. Although Mr. Sulu is on “emotional compromise leave”, so it must be somebody he knows from the Academy. Nobody’s telling me anything because they think I’m a little kid. It’s annoying.

Jim is part of the away team, and Peter is not happy. So far, no panic attacks, but that might be because he slept in my bed last night. It didn’t mean anything. I’m 12. Ashley 2 has some ridiculous ideas.

Because Enterprise is going into slightly hostile space, the minors of Enterprise are getting to spend quality time together in the safe rooms. Gina and Ashley three’s aunt are our chaperones. They also won’t tell us anything that’s going on, which is so annoying.

Thank the universe this did not happen until Jeremy was long gone. Otherwise, we would’ve all killed each other. Everybody is at least tolerable and we’re all sharing our snacks. Double stuff chocolate ganache Oreos are a big hit along with the flaming hot cheese puffs. Also, the art kits are giving us something to do. I donated the bracelet kit to the cause. We need something to do while in captivity. Peter is less freaked out about Jim being on an away mission when he has something to keep his hands occupied.

No additional Ashleys but we now have three Chrises. None of them have the name Chris, yet. Chris one is working on getting their name changed. I gave them tips on what I went through with my name change. They are happy to have somebody else that understands that part at least. I feel more like a Josephine than who I was before. Although I will still answer to JoJo. I will always be Uncle Jim’s little JoJo. I also gave them some tips on how to deal with family members that don’t respect your name change. In addition to your care package, I also got one from the judge who of course dead named me. That package promptly went in the trash.

I don’t think you’re a masochist for keeping your current project. Being masochistic would mean choosing another subject and having to read through all the reports again. I was raised by lawyers, so I understand the concept of alternate truth. I’m not surprised Starfleet functions very similarly.

Mom is not mad at you for saying too much. Although I did get the “talk”. Thankfully at 12, the “talk” is mostly about menstruation, which just happened during this captivity and the importance of saying no. That was something the biological mom taught me. One of the few positives.

Okay, Ashley three’s aunt just got pulled out. Dad needs her in the med bay because they found the missing person. She’s the first officer on the Hamilton. Isn’t that the ship…

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Elizabeth_Chen
cc: Kevin KR
time sent: 10/29/2260 13:12:12
Subject: Nearly 300 years and voice rec still has issues

I’m so sorry I accidentally said something the PADD interpreted as the words send. I’m sure uncle Jim will send you a rapid message before you read my email, but dad says your sister is fine, just dehydrated. Although he’s smiling at me so you should probably wait for an update from Uncle Jim. I’m sure Uncle Jim is going to send that to you as soon as he can. I really wish he would deal with the no recalling outside email thing. I also wish the microphones were nowhere near as sensitive.

To be continued

Notes:

I would just like to say that I wrote this chapter back in early January before lockdowns began for many of us.

Chapter 100: Day 250: Sorry, This Is One of Those Emergency Messages

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. I got more comments on the previous chapter than I have on any chapter for a long time. You are all lovely.

Chapter Text

 

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 10/30/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Starfleet really is filled with idiots.

So, I talked to mom, Starfleet legal, and Nyota’s mom about the project. Good news, the new person overseeing the Kobayashi Maru exam is no longer in charge as of today. Remember when I said papers were randomly assigned, that turned out to be a lie. I ended up with the battle of Vulcan because I’m dating the brother of the acting captain in charge of Enterprise during that cluster fuck. The person who got the Vengeance Incident was Kristen Klucking-Marcus a.k.a. Carol’s cousin. I think you met her at the courthouse when you picked up your marriage license last year.

 

Anyway, he was trying to manipulate us into providing information that wasn’t in the official report. I’m delighted he didn’t know I was on Tarsus during the genocide. Although apparently, he was aware that one of my classmates had a cousin who survived the Tarsus massacre. I’m sure you can guess which project they were assigned. I didn’t put the pieces together because of different last names. Thankfully, they knew that I was there, but they knew not to ask. We were given an option to do something different. Fortunately, this didn’t happen to everybody, but it was still about 30% of the class.

 

Nyota’s mom is now overseeing the Kobayashi Maru personally this semester. Those of us who were given deeply personal topics due to our instructor being a voyeuristic asshole were given the option of choosing a new topic. I am a masochist on a time crunch raising a one-year-old, so I kept mine. I do not have time to read through another Starfleet mission report. I’ve already read through the after-action for Vulcan, all 600 pages of it.

 

So many mistakes were made. Mom says I should just choose one just make sure no one else finds out that the acting captain of Enterprise strangled his future husband, and that’s how they sort of ended up Vulcan married. We are supposed to keep that a buried family secret.

 

BTW there is no mention whatsoever in the official report of what led your husband to being declared emotionally compromised. I know what happened because Kevin told me. That was why Kevin was so upset about you marrying Spock. He didn’t consider the extenuating circumstances and all the therapy that has happened since then. Also, Vulcan culture. You also weren’t dating at the time, which puts things in a very different light. Then there’s also the fact you were trying to get him to attack you to get him declared mentally unfit. I am not touching that.

 

I think I’m going to focus on improper funding for intelligence gathering and ignoring the message that Nyota intercepted from the Klingon homeworld. That intel would have prevented so much. That means I don’t need to interview you, but I do need to talk to your chief communications officer. As her supervisor, may I please have permission to discuss the Vulcan cluster fuck and the fact that nobody reviewed the message she intercepted?

 

Basically, I think I want to look at what happened from the perspective of the communications officer and how we in Starfleet sometimes downgrade the communications officer to the person just answering the phones when they are an integral part of the command team and when we don’t realize that, terrible things happen.

 

I would write her directly, but I think she might be pissed at us for sort of accidentally telling her 12-year-old daughter about Kevin getting manipulated into having sex with someone who’s the same age as his big brother. Who said big brother happens to have a restraining order against. I kind of need you to put in a good word for me first. I also need you to authorize her to send us a rapid message. I want to know what she found that day and how those overseeing her handled the information. The official report glosses over a lot of it, but I know there’s more that happened then what was in the official right up.

 

XXXX

Starfleet priority message for cadet Kevin Kirk from Captain Kirk-Spock

Subject: I’m okay, but the Hamilton is FUBAR

 

You know how you assume that if something awful happened to me, Spock, Sulu, or someone else from the command team would contact Liz to soften the blow? This is one of those times. Sorry.

 

I’m sure you or your girlfriend have received letters from Sue lamenting how incompetent her Captain is. Well, he’s so bad at negotiating that he managed to get himself killed, but not until Sue was kidnapped or may be held hostage. Nyota’s communications team is still trying to work their way through the recordings. Apparently, the universal translator screwed things up. This might be part of the reason why negotiations broke down to the point where there are dead bodies and Sue ended up being held captive for two weeks.

 

Good news, Sue was not subjected to torture. Unwelcome news, she was subjected to inadequate nutrition. Bones is taking care of her right now, and Sulu is staying in the chair next to her. We were also able to negotiate her release diplomatically because my chief communications officer can learn a new language in 48 hours, enough to be passable anyway. Or at least enough to realize when the universal translator is screwing things up. It was useful.

 

I’m not surprised to learn of more Starfleet Academy corruption, considering we are going to be dealing with the hot mess that is the Hamilton for a while. This won’t be in my official report, but it looks like the captain was deliberately trying to get your future sister-in-law killed.(Liz, if you’re reading this over Kevin's shoulder, sorry to be so blunt, but I have to be. You deserve to know.) Be glad he’s dead because otherwise I would be keeping my helmsmen from shoving a rapier up his ass and I don’t think I would try that hard.

 

If you successfully managed to keep Liz from reading this over your shoulder, I know you’re going to pass it to her anyway once you’re done. Liz, yes, you can talk to Nyota for your project. You can also ask her questions about the Sue situation. I feel like you’re going to assume I’m sugarcoating things.

 

You’re totally right, communications officers are the unsung heroes of Starfleet. Nyota helped us negotiate the release of Sue. Which is nice because I just don’t feel like going in all guns blazing. I have a 12-year-old now.

 

I am not surprised that Spock’s replacement turned out to be an asshole. You kind of must be a dick to design that type of test or a Vulcan, and I assume the guy was human.

 

Also, Liz, thank you for keeping specific things that happened with my husband out of any essay you write. I don’t think everybody understands the circumstances. I’ll try to keep a lot of the things that happened with Sue from getting out. I really believe there are some things that happened that only Sulu’s going to know. They’re best friends for life.

 

To repeat for the panicking Liz, Sue is safe on Enterprise. The Hamilton is a hot mess, and we’re investigating. Spock is overseeing the situation personally. Some of the brass, not necessarily Liz’s mom, wants me to take over being the captain of the ship for a couple of weeks until they send a replacement. Currently the ambassador is in charge because things are that bad. I think I might have to send Scotty which just tells you the state that the Hamilton is in.

 

I have two backup chief engineers, so Scotty is the most senior officer that Spock and I can send over there. You know unless I send Sulu. I am 99% sure Sue is going to be staying with us for a little while to recover, so he’s not going to want to leave her. Also, if he finds out that someone really was trying to kill his baby’s mama, there will be blood, possibly literally. It will be good for no one.

 

Due to the circumstances, both you and Liz can communicate as much as you want with Enterprise using rapid messages. I expect several tomorrow. Nyota is waiting for you.

To be continued

Chapter 101: Day 251: So, Liz broke a lamp

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation you are all fabulous. More rapid Starfleet messages.

Chapter Text

October 31, 2260

Starfleet priority message for Captain Kirk-Spock from Cadet Kevin Kirk

Subject: No one’s surprised the Hamilton is FUBAR, but here’s Desi dressed as Ms. Marvel.

You are so right about the vast number of rapid messages that will be coming from us probably over the next few days, and only a few will include Halloween pictures. Liz doesn’t want to abuse your authorization, so she doesn’t know about the images I’ve included. Despite that, you’re going to regret that authorization, eventually.

 

I think you are right employing this strategy, considering that Liz broke a lamp when she was told about what happened. Her mom really liked that lamp. Admiral mommy waited until yesterday to tell us what was happening. I don’t even know how the Admiral kept it together for as many days as she did. We had no idea that Sue was missing, even when she hosted a Halloween party for Starfleet toddlers this weekend with the girls there. We uploaded pictures of pumpkin Desi and baby K, which will hopefully get to you in a week. I feel like you need the cuteness. I’ve uploaded one to this message because again, you need cuteness even though Liz said not to.

 

We only received your message about 10 minutes after the official briefing. They didn’t even know that she was safe on Enterprise, only that Enterprise was mounting a rescue. Apparently, your message got to us the same time the official news got to Starfleet. Or some asshole held the message up. I don’t know and I really don’t care right now.

 

You were right, it’s better to tell me in this case. Starfleet’s kinda messy right now. Liz is panicking less because at least she now knows that her sister is safe on Enterprise. I think it’s only because of you and Spock. Liz doesn’t trust much of Starfleet right now. She went through at least three rough drafts of her resignation last night.

 

Ben talked her out of it because if anybody has a right to be pissed off at Starfleet, it’s Ben. He was being completely reasonable. He was reasonable after two glasses of wine. We also talked about the importance of being the change you want in the world, and sometimes you need to be part of the system to make changes. How did Sulu get that man to agree to marry him? That seems like a miracle.

 

I want to know more about what happened, but at the same time, I don’t. Promise me you’ll investigate what’s happening and you will hold the people responsible accountable for what they did.

 

Do you know why this even happened? Was it jealousy? Was it another Starfleet grand conspiracy. I am getting very sick of these Starfleet conspiracies. I almost lost you to one of them, and I know I don’t want to lose my sister-in-law to another one. Just the thought of having to tell baby D that her mom died on a mission would crush me.

 

Ben and Liz want to know if they should message Sue directly or other people right now? What state is she in physically? What state is she in mentally? Will you tell me the truth or try to sugarcoat it? Ming tried to sugarcoat it. Again, Liz is thankful that you told her the complete truth, although the admiral may be a little pissed off at you. OK, Ming is very pissed off at you.

 

We’re going to hold off on other messages until we hear back from you. We don’t want to inundate Sue with a dozen messages when she’s not ready.

 

Xxxxx

Starfleet priority message for cadet Kevin Kirk from Captain Kirk-Spock

subject: I’m aware your future mother-in-law is mad at me.

Although simultaneously grateful that we got her daughter back. It was a weird video conference. Lots of crying and cursing. Which reminds me of mom. Our family life is weird.

 

I’m not surprised about Liz breaking things. Sulu’s wall has dents now. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone delayed the message, but it’s more likely stupidity. Remember the old saying never blame malice when you can blame it on incompetence. At this point I understand the long-range communication network is held together with duct tape and paper clips. Sometimes literally because Scotty gets creative. I am still waiting for San Francisco to OK sending him to the Hamilton. I’m not going over there because I would have to bring Peter and that kid is going nowhere near that shit. Your future mother-in-law isn’t allowed to be directly involved with the Hamilton investigation due to conflict of interest in her not wanting to give the appearance of being another Marcus.

 

Considering how exhausted Sue was after talking to her mom for a minute, I suggest just sending your message to Sulu. Let him be the intermediary for the moment. Yes, unlimited messaging also extends to Ben. Snookums signed the order himself. We consider it all one big Sulu Kirk family. We are all family by marriage, pending marriage, and/or adoption at this point.

 

Trust me, we will be finding out who is responsible for this disaster, and they will suffer. On the surface it looks like it’s the captain’s fault and he’s already dead so we shouldn’t keep looking or at least that’s what some of the higher-ups argued. It’s not the first time that an incompetent captain said the wrong thing, got himself held captive for about a week, and then was sent back to his ship dead.

 

You and I know better than to accept anything at face value in Starfleet, not after the Vengeance incident. We are currently looking at the guy who filled in for her during her maternity leave. We are not saying his name in any communication just in case. Unfortunately, he’s back in San Francisco for retraining due to not following Starfleet sexual harassment policies at all, but I heard that the future mother-in-law is bringing in Sulu’s sister, the one who is not a wedding planner to be part of the investigation.

 

On the surface so far, the primary motivation seems to be the captain was getting sent back to San Francisco for a desk job once the Hamilton’s current mission is over. It seems like he assumed that Ming was giving the Hamilton to Sue, not realizing that Sue is applying for Yorktown because she wanted to be with the family. So because he was angry about losing his job, he did a shitty job during negotiations and when things went south after a week of being held captive, he sold out  the woman that he assumed would be taking his job and ended up with a bullet in the head and heart. That just seems like too obvious of a motive. There’s something we're missing. I’ll send you as many notes as I can. We’re supposed to keep some of this close hold, but that’s not going to happen.

 

Sue is okay. Not well, but okay. She’s doing better than when we got her out. The bruises are gone, and she’s completely rehydrated. Bones is letting her leave medical soon, mostly because he’s tired of Sulu and Gina sleeping in his med bay.

 

As for how Sue is doing psychologically, I’m simply happy that her old therapist, Dr. Reyes, is now on the ship. That’s been a good thing because she doesn’t feel like trusting anybody right now. Sulu, Gina, and me are about the only people she will let get close. She’s even wary of Bones and Nyota. Now I’m really wondering what the hell happened. We are working on piecing this together.

 

PS: Oh, did I mention that Gina slapped me for not telling her that we were rescuing Sue. She’s a contractor, so it’s technically not insubordination. Although we’re all just going to pretend it didn’t happen.

 

XXXX

 

 Starfleet priority message for Captain Kirk-Spock from Cadet Kevin Kirk

 

Subject: Please tell me there are pictures of Gina slapping you.

 

That surprises no one. I know I have wanted to slap you on more than one occasion, quite recently.

 

Liz says, don’t take things at face value. Because after rereading all her sister’s correspondence, the captain seems more stupid than evil. Also, apparently the concept you’re thinking of is called Hanlon's Razor. It something along the lines of never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Considering what’s been happening in Starfleet for the last couple of years, I think we are dealing with people who are just stupid.  

 

Liz might write tomorrow when she’s feeling up to it. Right now, she’s cuddled up with baby D on the couch eating chocolate-covered pumpkin peeps. Everything is better with peeps. Also send notes with your extra secret encryption. I hope that’s already on these rapid messages.

Chapter 102: Day 252: Your sister is okay-ish

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. More rapid messages.

Chapter Text

November 1, 2260

 

Starfleet priority message for cadet Kevin Kirk from Captain Kirk-Spock

subject: Please send pictures of Baby D eating peeps.

There may be security footage of that, but I think Spock will cut me off if I go looking for it. I’m not sure what he will do if I teach Peter how to look for it. I was banned from teaching the Enterprise kids how to break into computer systems. I think that rule might apply to my own child. We are still working out the kinks on this parenthood thing.

Let Liz do whatever she needs right now. Even if it means spending quality time her with niece and a bag of Halloween peeps more power to her. It’s a lot.

 

 I’m spending the day on the Hamilton for reasons that may or may not involve going for the deceased captain's personal things with the security team. Fingers crossed Peter will spend the entire day hanging out with JoJo and not freaking out.

We are not taking things at face value. There’s something else going on here; I just feel it.

 

Although while I am looking into this, send baby pictures.

 

PS: Of course, I use the good encryption. I’m not stupid.

 

XXXX

Starfleet priority message from cadet Elizabeth Chan to Capt. Kirk Spock

 

Hey, I thought I would write to you this time. Kevin’s in class, but I’m taking the day off to decompress. Maybe work a little bit on the Kobayashi Maru assignment. Also, everything is better with half-price Halloween candy.

 

Thank you for letting us know, even though I know you weren’t supposed to tell us what was happening. Mom may have broken out the Mandarin curse words and that is never a good sign, but I’m glad you did anyway because it was the only way I was going to find out the truth. I feel better knowing what’s really happening than her trying to keep it from me. I’m not a little kid. I haven’t been for a long time. Ming never met me as an innocent little kid, which may be why she’s acting the way that she is, but as much as my mom wants to make up for the fact I didn’t have a childhood, this is not the way to go about it.

 

XXXX

Starfleet priority message from cadet Elizabeth Chan to Lieutenant Commander Sulu.

Subject: Take care of my sister.

So obviously the fact that I’m writing you tells you that I know that Sue was kidnapped and promptly rescued by Enterprise or maybe held hostage would be the better term. My mom managed to tell me just a few minutes before Kevin got Jim’s message that he really wasn’t supposed to send. Apparently, when you’re doing a super top-secret rescue mission, you’re not supposed to send a message through your brother to the victim’s sister even if she’s now safe onboard Enterprise receiving medical treatment.

 

Mom didn’t tell us anything about what was happening for days. She was holding up this happy façade when she was really falling apart on the inside. I was worried that her last checkup said she had one of the few strands of cancer that we can’t cure yet. Mom said she was waiting until they found her to tell us what was going on. Which is why she did tell us as soon as Enterprise began the mission. Although by not waiting until the rescue mission was over, she didn’t know Sue’s status which made it worse. Maybe she wanted us to be together when we found out. Unfortunately, there was a long lag in communications. The Lag Time Is Getting Very Annoying.

 

Maybe I’ll write more after I have time to process what is happening. I kind of feel bad that baby’s second Halloween mostly consisted of her eating candy while in a costume as I cried a lot.

 

Just take care of my sister. Keep her safe. Also, if you can punch out anybody on the Hamilton that was involved in this cluster fuck, that would be awesome. I still don’t think it was just the captain. I mean, they kept the team missing check-in from Starfleet San Francisco for over a week. They did nothing until Garber took over. Something’s not adding up. Okay maybe I’ve been reading too many after-action reports from the battle of Vulcan, including mom’s uncensored diaries. It’s not paranoia if they’re out to get you.

 

I’ll write more tomorrow. Honestly, I need some more time to process that there was another damn conspiracy going on. I remember what a mess Kevin was after the Vengeance incident. Now I am that mess.

 

You should know I sent you some pictures of Baby D and me eating chocolate together yesterday. We sent them the old-fashioned way so you might not get them for two weeks. Jim authorized unlimited rapid messaging, but we don’t want to be greedy. I’m also not 100% sure it applies to images anyway.

 

Anyway, give my sister my love, and I hope that she stays with you until your new Vulcan assignment, so we get to see her in December.

 

xxx  

Starfleet priority message from cadet Elizabeth Chan to Lieutenant Commander Uhura.

Subject: Thank you for rescuing my sister        

 

I’m going to start this with thank you so much because Jim and my mom said you were unbelievably valuable in getting my sister back. Thank you. I also heard that you are an integral part of the investigation to finding out what the fuck happened. So, thank you for that too.

 

Before all this went down, I wanted to ask you a bunch of questions about the Vulcan incident for my project. It doesn’t seem like the right time right now. I need to focus on what happened. Although Ben recommendsI distract myself for a little bit and since I am not leaving Starfleet, I should probably try to finish my report.

 

Although I’m not in that mental headspace to read statements right now. Maybe tomorrow. At a minimum it will keep my mind off the fact that my sister was held captive for like two weeks and nobody told me. I may have had an extremely uncomfortable lunch with my mom where I may have yelled that at her.

 

I know my sister is on Enterprise, and everything’s allegedly okay now. I’m not sure. Is Sue okay? As a Tarsus survivor I know that there are numerous variations of okay. I’m worried mainly because Jim mentioned therapy. It’s good that she’s talking to somebody, but I’m worried about the fact she needs to talk to someone. I’m also scared and a little freaked out because I came so close to losing my sister and I didn’t even know. I keep holding the baby for dear life. Okay maybe today’s lunch with mom made it worse.

Anyway, thank you again. Also, give JoJo a hug for me.

       

Xxx

Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to cadet Elizabeth Chan

 

Subject: Your sister is fine-ish

Your sister says she’s fine or is as fine as she can be after being held hostage for two weeks. The kids made her and Gina brownies today. She can’t eat them yet, but she appreciates it and I have put them in a stasis chamber. Leonard says she can have one in a week. However, right now it’s applesauce and rice for the moment, but she is eating actual food and is happy to be in my room now.

 

Trust me, I am furious which might be why I’m not being assigned to the Hamilton. I might do terrible things with a rapier. The powers that be are not happy about sending Scotty over there to be the temporary captain, but everybody agrees with Jim’s assessment that it’s probably for the best. Okay, everyone agreed with Jim’s desire not to bring his kid over there. Besides, we are going to be investigating for at least two weeks, which will keep us in the Hamilton’s orbit.

 

Because of the situation, Sue is being given the option for the rest of her tenure on the Hamilton to be curtailed and to stay on Enterprise to recuperate before going onto the next onward assignment which will probably be Yorktown. You usually get an excellent job after surviving a kidnapping. Of course, if she doesn’t take that option, Sue will probably get made the captain of the Hamilton and I’m not sure if she wants that. I know she didn’t want that before. She has time to make a decision.

 

As for me, I’m not quite sure how I feel about her possibly going back to the Hamilton. Okay I really don’t want her to go back there. Nobody told your mom what the hell was going on until Garber got back on the ship. That makes me worry about the type of people that were there and how they see Sue. It’s hard to be the captain of people who don’t respect you.

 

Thanks for writing. Sue’s happy to hear from you even if you sent the message to me. Tell my boyfriend that I do need to hear from him soon and the kids. Let the babies know that I love them so much. It’s been a tough couple of days, but it’s starting to get better. Sue is safe right now, and we can deal with everything else later.

 

PS: Do you think Jim’s ultimate rapid message rule applies to video files? Or at least still images because we could really use some happy baby moments right now. I’m sure Halloween wasn’t what it would’ve been, but please tell me there are adorable pictures of her in costume?  

Chapter 103: Day 253: Thank you for rescuing my sister

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so wonderful. We’re going to be doing rapid Starfleet messages for a couple more chapters, and then we will start to have some gaps between days. There’s just a lot going on now and the rapid messages seem appropriate for this part of the story. We will be going back to our regularly scheduled emails soon. This is sort of like the deep space version of text messaging. Considering what’s been happening this seems reasonable.

Chapter Text

November 2, 2260

Starfleet priority message for Cadet Elizabeth Chan from Captain Kirk-Spock

 

After breakfast with Sulu where I informed him that Sue’s maternity leave sub’s metaphoric fingerprints were all over what happened on the Hamilton (one of his friends was put in charge while the others were missing A.k.a. the guy who didn’t notify San Francisco when everyone missed check in), I was told to tell you that yes, you may use rapid messages for baby videos. Honestly your sister can use the morale boost. We can all use the morale boost.

 

So quick update on the investigation at least in the case of the Captain Hanlon's razor seems to be in to play. Although I’m not ruling out some gaslighting on the part of his former temp first officer. We have a lot to look through including a ton of lapel cam footage and universal translator logs. Communications is going to be busy.

 

I promise to keep you updated myself because I’m not sure what your mom will tell you. You know I’m not going to lie to you. I might tell Kevin first so he can break the news gently, but I won’t lie. We are family and that’s what family does.

xxx

Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Uhura for cadet Elizabeth Chan

Subject: Re: Thank you for rescuing my sister        

 

Let me start this message by reassuring you that your sister is okay. Recovering from malnutrition and being kidnapped due to being stabbed in the back by someone who wanted her job, but she’s doing ok. I talked to her a little bit this morning and I get the impression she’s a lot more pissed off about the getting stabbed in the back part. She is 99% sure her maternity leave replacement was responsible for what happened despite being in San Francisco right now. That might be because he is in San Francisco right now.

 

Other than not giving her enough food and water due to the fact her kidnappers didn’t eat or drink a lot and didn’t know what to give a human, they treated her and Garber reasonably well (although the captain not so much). They even sent her an apology present. By Starfleet standards, this is considered a decent hostage situation/kidnapping. Our diplomatic team along with Ambassador Garber are trying to smooth out the rough edges. They are willing to listen to her due to her display of integrity. I am on the diplomatic team because I understand the language enough to know when the universal translator is very wrong.

 

I am so sorry that I didn’t reply to you yesterday. Yes, a lot is going on, but I have a good team and the translation work is going really well now that we figured out there was some bug in the system that was mistranslating things. We’re trying to decide if it was malicious in intent   or just stupidity. Your future brother-in-law is the one doing a lot of that. He doesn’t trust anybody else, probably with good reason.

 

Jim and I have been working together these last couple days on the investigation (mostly so Spock has some plausible deniability), and he did tell me about your original email from a few days ago. First, let me say I’m not mad at you for accidentally telling my 12-year-old child about Kevin getting manipulated into a sexual situation that was statutory at best. It led to a critical conversation that we needed to have. Primarily because her grandfather is… well, let’s put it this way, his current fiancé is 22. I’m sure you’re aware of how accurate that statement is. There is also her Pavel crush. Thankfully, I know he won’t pull a Christine, but I am not that sure about some of the others. I didn’t think Christine would do that either, but she did.

 

Also it let me know that it was time to get certain toxic people out of my life for good. It was a hard decision, but a necessary one and finding that out definitely pushed me over the edge. So, I thank you for that.

 

I’m always happy to help the next generation of Starfleet officers. Unfortunately, things are a little too messed up right now for me to answer all your questions about what happened in excruciating detail and I honestly don’t think you’re in a place emotionally to hear all the answers. Jim mentioned that you are already thinking of getting the hell out of here. To help, I have attached my unedited draft of my initial report on the Vulcan incident. I can tell you only about 30% of it ended up in the actual official report.

 

Although none of the Jim/Spock stuff was even in my initial draft. With good reason. No one really wants to think about the guy that they’re interested in being interested in someone else. OK and I tend to use sex as a coping mechanism and I wasn’t coping very well. Mistakes were made on everybody’s parts.

 

My initial draft had a lot of curse words in it from multiple languages because I was furious that my report wasn’t taken seriously at all. Jim was the only one who put the pieces together and then it was still too late. Spock lost his mom and Ben lost a husband. I lost another best friend and my mom lost Sarah and her wife. All those losses could have been prevented if the Intel I picked up wasn’t just dismissed as weird Klingon gossip.   There’s a lot of anger there in the initial aftermath and honestly, I’m still processing some of it.

 

I understand the point of this exercise. Sometimes looking at your mistakes can swallow you up inside. Other times it’s a way for you to move forward. It gives you a chance to see what needs to be changed and how you yourself can affect those changes. Maybe by looking closely at this past Starfleet fuck up, you can find a better way, but to do that you have to stay here.

 

I understand wanting to leave. I think after the miscarriage and almost losing Jim, I was ready to leave. Suddenly being a mom to an emotionally traumatized child on top of that made the desire worse. I think those months in Georgia just being able to adjust to everything has really helped. Maybe you should consider taking a  break yourself eventually. I think Sue might need a break before coming back. Even if she doesn’t go back to the Hamilton and I don’t think she is, I think you’re still going to have baby D until summer. I don’t think your mom would be mad if you decide to do a gap semester with everything going on. That’s probably something you need to talk to her about, but not right now. This is the time for healing.

 

Although maybe send Sue lots of baby pictures. Jim told me he was going to send you a rapid message this morning telling you to send more pictures immediately. She has been going through all the stuff that you sent everyone here. The videos make her smile and I feel like she needs to smile right now.  

 

Xxxx

Starfleet priority message from cadet Elizabeth Chan to Lieutenant Commander Uhura.

Subject: tons of baby pictures attached.

I got Jim’s message. I’ve sent a bunch of baby pictures via rapid messaging. Let the baby healing begin.

 

Thank you for getting back to me. Also thank you for not being mad at me for saying the wrong thing to your child. I am glad baby D is still too young to know what we’re accidentally saying in front of her although I’m sure her next word is probably going to be a curse word. I used some choice vocabulary words after finding out my sister got kidnapped. So many choice words.

 

I think you’re right about the break. I’m looking at options. Although I don’t know what my options are going to be because Kevin will be on the Discovery next year. So that means I will be by myself with Desi with Kevin in the wild blue yonder, Ben will be in Yorktown, and Winona in London. I don’t know if Jim got the letter yet, but Winona is relocating to London permanently come January.

 

Thank you for your notes. They really did edit the hell out of what you said. Thankfully, your report did answer about 90% of the questions I had and the other 10%, I can probably get from asking other people (possibly my mom). I think I’ll at least have a halfway passable report. I’m already working on the draft. Again, something to stay distracted with as the investigation continues. I have an interview with Desi’s aunt soon.

 

Xxx

Starfleet priority message for Lieutenant Commander Sulu from cadet Elizabeth Chan

 

Subject: Did you know that your sister is part of that branch of Starfleet?

 

Hey, more adorable baby videos attached. Jim said I could send the good stuff immediately so I am.

 

I’ve got confirmation from other sources that my sister is ok, but when she’s feeling up to it tell her to write me. Also, let her know that I’m glad she’s on Enterprise right now. Also, let her know that we’re packing for New Vulcan. I can’t wait until the semester is over with. This is like the most exhausting semester I ever had, and I haven’t even had my simulation yet.

 

Ben will try to write to you again soon, but I think I’m going to be spending all day tomorrow getting your fiancé rapid message privileges despite Jim authorizing it. His original message got bounced back to us. It was mostly near frantic panic so maybe it’s best that one got bounced back. You should get something from him by tomorrow at the latest.

I have an interview with your sister tomorrow because her team is being brought in to do the investigation. Mom doesn’t actually trust anybody who is not related to us by marriage, pending marriage, or illegitimate children right now. Although I hate her a little less now that I realize that she didn’t want custody of baby D due to her job being a little on the dangerous side.

 

Anyway, right back when you can.

 

To be continued

       

 

Chapter 104: Day 254: Fine has various meanings

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Chapter Text

November 3, 2260
Starfleet priority message from Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu to Lieutenant Commander Sulu

Hey sweetie. I miss you. This is my second attempt at writing this message to you. The first one didn't go through because, apparently, I didn't have the clearance to send a rapid message to Enterprise despite being authorized by both captains Kirk-Spock. Liz spent half of today rectifying the situation, which is part of the reason why my last name is now Sulu in the Starfleet database even though the legal name change is still pending. Although I was warned this could cause problems with receiving Zach's pension. According to Winona, remarriage occasionally messes that sort of thing up.

Ming was not happy when I told her about the mixup. Ming may have fired someone. I’m quite sure she’s fired a lot of people, with a few most likely seeing a cell very soon. Technically, Perez oversees the Hamilton investigation on the San Francisco side, but Ming is watching everything closely. She is pissed, like breaking furniture pissed and I don’t blame her.

It’s why she brought in your sister, who I think might be the Starfleet equivalent of a secret agent. Okay, now I’m less upset about her not wanting to take care of D if something happened to you.

I’m not happy with what’s going on either. I knew things were not good on board the Hamilton. Sue and I always email each other, and half of her emails were laments about her boss and coworkers. I’m sure you got some of the same. Although I didn’t think it was “hand you over to others to save your own skin” levels of horribleness. I’m still wondering what happened. Although good news, the maternity leave replacement is currently sporting a black eye and Starfleet medical has been ordered not to fix it before turning them over to protective custody. Three guesses how he got it. Obviously, charges will be coming.

So, how are you? How is Sue? Do you have an idea about how to answer that question other than “fine”? Because I don’t think ‘fine’ is an adjective that works right now. Also, as a reminder, comfort sex is allowed if both of you need it. She’s like your ultimate freebie card. I would prefer a video, but I don’t trust Starfleet messaging right now. All the Enterprise updates to HQ were arriving 6 to 12 hours later than they should have.

I guess, at this point, I want to know what happened. I got the clean version from Ming at the briefing. Then I read Jim's rapid message to Kevin. He was more honest with details. I’ve also got to see your email to Liz. Being a doctor, I am worried about the fact that brownies are not on the menu for another week.

Modern dermal regenerators can do wonders for the bruises on the outside, but with all our marvels of technology, we have yet to easily heal the scars on our souls. I feel like those might be significantly more pronounced. You don’t survive being held captive for two weeks without some scarring.

I know Lizzy is worried about that. She will not outright say it in an email, but she’s concerned because she lived through hell and didn’t have enough to eat. From the details that she got, that’s kind of what she’s thinking happened to Sue. Liz has been hoarding food for the last few days. A lot of it has been half-price Halloween trick-or-treat pretzels and cracker packets along with other stuff as well. I’m sure she’s bringing an entire suitcase filled with ration bars to New Vulcan or possibly leftover Halloween candy.

Xxxxx

Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu
Subject: We are okay, and I really love your new last name

Thanks for writing. Let me just start off by saying how much I absolutely adore your new last name. I was going to write to you soon, but I have been busy with Sue, as you can understand. Good news, she’s out of medical and in my room now. I think Leonard let her out a little earlier than intended because we’re so close to medical.

You’re right about the mental scars being more pronounced. Sue is having trouble sleeping alone. The first night I tried to be a gentleman and sleep on the couch, she woke up. Sue woke up screaming still thinking she was there. She didn’t fall back asleep until I was in bed with her. Since you pretty much gave me permission to have sex with her, I think cuddling has been authorized as well. I believe cuddling is kind of what we both need right now. Also, anything else more strenuous, she won’t be cleared for couple more weeks which may lineup with our time in new Vulcan. I am game if you are.

The investigation on the Enterprise side of things is headache-inducing. Being Jim, he looked past the easy answer. Although it still looks like the whole thing happened due to jealous coworkers, sex, and the attempt to take out the competition. There was also a bit of stupidity. OK, a lot of stupidity, in addition to elevated levels of gaslighting. I think the captain was just stupid, but the guy who filled in was malicious and he made sure he was far away from the crime scene before the shit hit the fan (leaving one of his friends in charge) and it did hit.

But apparently, so do you. Or maybe it was Liz. You should’ve included pictures. I assume protective custody means he was arrested. Please tell me that guy is getting court-martialed. That would make me feel so much better and would make it easier for Sue to sleep without using me as a teddy bear.

Sue wasn’t tortured or sexually assaulted. She did see someone murdered in front of her who was obviously tortured. We are not sure if that happened in front of her because Reyes won’t let us do the investigation interview until at least tomorrow. Sue may have felt like he was ridiculously incompetent, but she didn’t want him dead even though he tried to sell her out. Despite that, it was still traumatizing. I think flashbacks to that are why she had trouble falling asleep last night.

There was also a lack of food due to humans eating significantly more than the local population. Also being isolated for more than two weeks with no actual human contact for the last eight days could make anyone start to lose it. She was worried she was going to die there, especially after watching her captain be killed, and Garber was sent away.

Sue did have some injuries with no first aid. Before the captain got killed, he did stab her, and her captors didn’t really know what to do. OK they may have done nothing on purpose. They didn’t want to outright kill her, but if she dies because of infection, that’s not on them. So, they’re not concerned with it. Communications is still trying to work out interview translations by hand. The universal translator algorithm for the language is messed up. Maybe it will go better once Sue talks to the investigators.

I know she’s been talking about things to her therapist. I’m so glad Dr. Reyes ended up on the Enterprise because it’s been beneficial. They’ve been talking a lot. No formal sessions but talking. Mostly over applesauce because cookies are still not entirely on the menu just yet.

I am not surprised Liz is hoarding leftover Halloween treats and nutrition bars. I hope she gets the ones that taste good. I heard Vulcan cuisine can leave much to be desired at various times.

I’m also thankful for Gina being here, which has done better than just about anything else. Gina pretty much slept in the chair next to me for the last few days. I think she would have been on the floor, but the kids need her. All the kids are a little unsettled by what happened, especially JoJo, since she is friends with Liz.

Gina didn’t know it was Sue we were trying to find, just that it was the first officer of the diplomatic ship. Spock didn’t even tell Gina the name of the ship because if she knew it was the Hamilton then she would’ve known and someone needed to keep the kids calm because they were in lockdown while we were trying to find Sue. I am really thankful that Nyota figured out the universal translator was messed up.
We now know it was the maternity leave replacement responsible for that. We're currently investigating most of the communications team on Hamilton. I’m sure two of them will be in the brig by tomorrow. Nyota is trying to decide who from her team will need to be transferred to the Hamilton temporarily as the new department head.

I’m sure you’re responsible for filming at least half the baby videos that Liz sent. They’ve also been helpful. Sue feels better when she’s watching the babies. Hugs and kisses to everyone. I cannot wait to see you.

PS: I sent you a letter that wrote when I was in the middle of the “Sue is missing” nightmare, and I was kind of a mess. I apologize now, but hey, that means you’re the person I need to talk to when things are a hot mess.

Xxx

Starfleet priority message from Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu to Lieutenant Commander Sulu
It’s OK that you were a mess. I understand this. When you get to meet Zoe next month, ask her how I was right after the Vulcan incident. I realize these last few days have been hard on all of us. I’ll stand by for more from Sue. Hugs and kisses from the baby and I look forward to New Vulcan.

I’ll arrange for a babysitter for both kids. The three of us will have a good night. There will be wine.

You should know both of your sisters have managed to talk their way onto the trip. Your oldest sister is going to be doing some sort of event planning, and the one that’s part of Starfleet is supposed to be meeting with Jim and the others about the Hamilton investigation. Okay I understand why the one who’s a Starfleet member is coming, but I think the other one is there mostly to do wedding stuff. If we elope while on New Vulcan, I think she’ll kill us both. So how do you feel about Yorktown in summer?

PS: Cuddling is so allowed. Cuddling is the one thing I miss the most when you are away. I feel like you both need cuddling.

XXXX

Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu

I don’t think I want to know how both sisters managed to worm their way onto this trip. Maybe they both work for the branch of Starfleet that’s not supposed to exist. I want a summer wedding in Yorktown. You read my mind. More hugs and kisses and virtual cuddles. You get all the virtual cuddles.

PS: Sue likes your wine and babysitter idea. She has made a joke about you knowing to get the right type of lube. Apparently, I am better at getting smarter significant others.
To be continued

Chapter 105: Day 256: I Am Too Pregnant for This

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. Now a break from all these rapid messages and a return to actual emails.

Chapter Text

 

From: Number_one_Pike

To: Spock's_cuddlebunny; Jim's_cuddlebear

Time arrived: 11/05/2260 00:00:01

Subject: It was good to see you both again

I bet this letter is getting to you even later than last time. Because we spoke in person not that long ago, I decided to wait a few days before replying. Sorry, I’m writing both of you together, but carrying twins is exhausting. Starting a new job is exhausting on its own, but being pregnant makes it even worse, and I am only in the second trimester.

 

Why did I want to get pregnant? Everything already hurts. Yes, I’m going to have cute little babies once this is over with, but I am just so tired all the time. That pregnancy book that said I would have more energy during this trimester was lying. I also must pee every five minutes.

 

Nobody tells you that before you go for in vitro. They just show you cute little pictures of adorable babies and all the clothes you can pick out, but they never mention the peeing every five minutes or the throwing up at all hours of the day. The name morning sickness is misleading. I so want to stop throwing up all the time. It’s exhausting. Your mother just laughs at me and makes some snide comment about Kevin being her favorite due to the lack of morning sickness and never using her bladder as a soccer ball.

 

Please send me pictures of Spock and Peter's science time. It must be adorable. I want more pictures of you being parental. I think it will give me something to look forward to as the babies set up camp on my bladder. They shouldn’t be doing that yet, but my twins are overachievers. Or maybe this is just one of those early symptoms that I’m dealing with for longer than normal again like the throwing up all the time.

 

I’m so glad we were able to have another video chat. We had a wonderful time with Peter. He’s such a cute kid. I know you and Spock will do well with him. I get that you are terrified, but it’s a good terrified. Winona was in tears afterward, but she was delighted and glad that she got to see Peter again. She was pissed at Arlene for not telling her about him for years, but she was trying not to speak ill of the dead. It wasn’t going that well, but at least she held her tongue, so Peter didn’t hear it. I feel like that’s progress.        

 

London is going well, at least in the sense that I have got rid of a lot of the idiots that were old Marcus allies. You know maybe that’s why I’m exhausted. Apparently, those roots ran deeper than we initially thought. I’m also so happy that Rebecca is here. At least there is one other faculty member that I’m not worried about causing an interplanetary incident.

 

Since I know you encrypted this message, I might as well tell the truth. We caught a team messing with the universal translator’s algorithm. They were trying to adjust things so that it would translate everything in the worst possible way. Nothing brings about war faster than miscommunication. A lot of people believe in the Marcus philosophy and crave war and hatred. Carol’s not one of them, but so many other people do and many of them are still in Starfleet. You get the idea. Well they were in Starfleet. Like I said I’ve been cleaning house. Which has been another thing that has been emotionally draining. Okay, I really can’t blame everything on the pregnancy, can I?

 

Thank you, Spock, for your decorum. I know you wanted to say some other things about my niece, but I appreciate you keeping those thoughts to yourself. Trust me, I know there are so many problems there. Chrissy is a grown-up and she needs to work through this on her own with the help of an incredibly good psychologist, but for right now I’m just going to let it be. I must focus on the twins.

 

You might be right about the powers that be giving me good assignments because they feel guilty about the dead husband. Although I’m not quite sure if this is a good assignment. I think this might be a punishment for being competent. Like we should’ve seen what Marcus was doing, but we didn’t, and now we must deal with the mess. At least it’s coming out now and not in another century. Imagine how much worse it would have been if we allowed this corruption to fester.

 

So, another thing, I think Winona is seriously considering moving here. She was supposed to be going back soon, but I think she’s looking at long-term plans to stay around. Kevin is going to be going doing his semester on a starship starting in January. He did get Discovery. Then another year after that, he’ll be up in space. I don’t think Winona wants to be alone in another town filled with ghosts. Right now, with Kevin there, it’s good, but once he and the grandbabies are gone, I don’t know if she wants to be there alone. She’s been ridiculously happy here in London. Maybe a change would be good.

 

I know you’re busy, but write back when you can.

Xxxxx

From: Spock's_cuddlebunny

To: Number_one_Pike

cc: Jim's_cuddlebear

time sent: 11/05/2260 23:03:01

Subject: Busy would be an understatement

 

I don’t think busy is the best word to discuss the last few days. Hellish and psychotic might be better. So, what started out as a rescue mission became an investigation that has uncovered a possible conspiracy to start a costly war by having the daughter of the head of Starfleet murdered. Really, I thought we were so done with this stuff, but apparently, it’s time for the industrial housecleaning. We can’t lose our way and we can’t allow this to fester because then it will be worse.

 

Okay, no more work talk, at least not on this channel. I’m sure you’ll get the official report especially because I think your translation discovery might be involved. You are right, miscommunication is the key to war. Although I feel like it’s less the Marcus philosophy and more war profiteering. Who benefited from the Vengeance being created? They say always follow the money.

 

You know I have to stop turning on the microphone and just dictating these emails to you. Okay, happy thoughts. Although the science time has been suspended for the foreseeable future, there are more shots of Peter and Spock doing science together. My child currently has A’s in all his classes. This should be expected because he has my intelligence, but also Gina is an excellent teacher. Even in the middle of a personal crisis, she’s giving the kids exactly what they need. I adore her so much.

 

I had a few teachers like her at smart kid boarding school, but when Kevin came to live with us, I went to regular high school for the last few years and that was a mistake. It’s one of the contributing factors in me being a genius-level repeat offender. At least it will be better for Peter.

 

I half expected Peter to be freaking out this week with everything going on, but he’s been good. No crying no freaking out. No hugging me for dear life every time I spend the day on the Hamilton trying to work through all this bull shit. It feels miraculous although maybe he’s getting used to us. Perhaps he’s been with us long enough that he doesn’t expect it to all fall apart. Or maybe the triple sessions with Margarita are helping. I don’t know, but I’m just grateful.

 

Spock wanted to send you a bunch of baby books that promptly point out that it’s not unusual to have morning sickness at all times of the day for the duration of your entire pregnancy, but I stopped him from doing that. This is not a time for an I told you so moment. We must work on that. Although we might send some baby stuff for Christmas. I feel like by that point, you’ll be out of the woods enough that it would be appropriate. I was born three months early and came out perfectly okay. Granted I was a fat preemie. I’m allergic to everything, but still relatively healthy.

 

So, because of the Hamilton situation that I’m sure you’ve been briefed on by this point or at a minimum Kevin told mom and mom told you we’ve been doing a lot of rapid messaging. Liz let it drop that Winona is planning to relocate permanently to London. I’m not upset about this because I was pushing for it and suggested it in my last letter to her. Despite everything you are doing with cleaning house in London she seems happier and freer. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this healthy before, even if we are dealing with the surprise kid.

 

Yes, Peter is the ghost of Sam in a lot of ways, but he’s also this bright bit of sunshine. It was kinda like Kevin in the beginning. Something else to focus on. This new thing in your life that you can be happy about. You’re still grieving, but you have this other person that needs you. So, you move forward because you must take care of this other person.

 

We’re all grieving here. We’re not just dealing with the ghost of Sam again, but we also lost Peter’s mom. She’s the one who got me to Dr. and Dr. Suarez. She’s the one who knew not to trust Frank. The only one who saw through my smiles and lies. So, it hurts losing her, but I must focus on Peter too. It’s not like I’m using him to prevent myself from processing the grief, but maybe it’s helping me handle it in a better way than wallowing in it.

 

Mom wallowed in her grief. She wallowed after dad died. She wallowed after finding out who Frank really was. She wallowed in it after Sam. Iowa was the place of wallowing. A living monument to grief.

 

She’s starting to move out of that. San Francisco was the first step because Kevin was there and you were there along with all her other friends. Now you’re in London and Kevin is going to be a Starfleet officer soon wherever he and Liz end up. Although I feel like he might end up in the diplomatic program sooner rather than later. (I’ve talked to Ambassador Garber a little about the possibility of getting Kevin fast-tracked due to “life experience.”) So, London would be good. A completely fresh start. I want her to have that.

 

Also, I think I would feel better if you weren’t in London alone. I know Rebecca and Carol are there, but the more people, the better. Yes, I’m still bitter about not being able to come to see the twins be born in person, but I do need to stay here. Peter needs stability, and we are starting to get to something almost like stable. I’m starting to get that parenthood is tough. I love it. It’s nice coming home after a day of dealing with all the political bull shit of Hamilton and getting to cuddle with my kid. This, I like. Maybe they had the right idea of showing the cute baby pictures to you.

 

It takes a lot of demanding work to get to the cuddling. I may not have to deal with morning sickness, but I do get nightmares and a preteen sneaking into our bed in the middle of the night because he is dreaming about his mom dying again. When we finally get him asleep, it’s worth it. Thankfully, Peter’s nightmares are coming less, but he’s coming to us more, so silver lining.

 

Anyway, write to us again. Will we be getting more ultrasound pictures soon? The book I am reading says 20 weeks should be the next scan. I think that’s next week if I’m doing the math right. I need more pictures of my future niece or nephew to show off. It’s what I do. My office might have more pictures of baby D then what is officially allowed. She’s just sunshine.

 

To be continued

 

Chapter 106: Day 258: Confessions from a Mommy on the Edge

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all so wonderful.

 

I thought we could take a moment and look at Sue’s psyche. So, it’s time for a letter to our favorite one and ½-year-old.

Warning: grab some tissues.

Chapter Text

 

 

 

From: Mommy_Susan

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time sent: 11/07/2260 02:23:01

 

Subject: I need quality baby time

                                 

Hey Liz, I am sure that by the time you read this, I’ve already written to you at least one or two rapid messages, but right now I just want to write a letter to my baby girl. I’ve been trying to write to you, and I just haven’t been able to. Honestly, I think you would ask me too many questions about what happened, and I think I need another day or two before I can answer them. Fortunately, adorable one and a half-year-olds don’t do that sort of thing.  Thanks for the pictures. I need them right now.

 

Dear Demora:

 

Hey, baby, this is mommy. I’m on daddy’s ship right now in his room. He’s actually asleep next to me. Which is nice and also why I’m typing this the old-fashion way. Maybe he was right. I missed this part of a relationship more than the other stuff. Just having someone there to hold me and make it all go away.

 

Mommy is sad right now and a little scared, but she’s safe on daddy ship. Daddy won’t let anything happen to her.

 

So, something bad happened to mom. Some people that she works with don’t like her very well. They think mommy got her job because her mommy is the big woman in charge. They don’t like that. They forget that your mommy worked extremely hard when she was at the Academy and was the top person in her class. They forget that she was one of the youngest female first officers in Starfleet history. The only reason why the gender qualifier is on there is because Spock beat me to the record by like six months. Of course, his spouse completely shattered the captain record, but those were very extenuating circumstances.

 

OK, I guess I need to back up here. So, while mommy was pregnant with you, she couldn’t stay on the Hamilton passed the first trimester. So, somebody else came in and took over her job while mommy went back to Earth to teach at the Academy until you were a year old. Well, the replacement was mad that instead of becoming the new captain of the Hamilton when the old one left, they brought in some outsider. More importantly, they brought in an outsider who has no idea what they were doing. (Your mommy had to redo that sentence because she wrote a bad word.)

 

Mommy’s replacement was not happy about this, which I can understand because nobody wants to work for an incompetent moron. However, the alternative didn’t realize that they were not given this position because the replacement did not respected women very much. There were too many complaints in his file.

 

Are you too young to learn about the concept of misogyny? We were hoping that at this point in the Federation, that would be a concept that I wouldn’t have to teach. Unfortunately, baby, we don’t live in that world.

 

At first, the replacement thought that by covering up for the captain’s incompetence, he would eventually get the new job, but then I arrived back from maternity leave to finish out the rest of my Hamilton’s mission. The replacement was not happy. So, the replacement decides to spread a lot of rumors around the ship, and a lot of people start to believe him. It’s quite easy for them to think that I only got the job I did because of who my mother is. As if my mother only got her job because most of Starfleet High Command got murdered by Marcus’ grand conspiracy of the Federation. It’s hard to lead when people don’t respect you.

 

Eventually, mommy sent the replacement back to the Academy for intensive sexual-harassment training, but he had already set into motion events that led to a diplomatic catastrophe and mommy being held captive for a couple of weeks. I was told I was alone for the last eight days. It felt like longer, but the entire time, I thought about you. About how much I loved you and needed to come home to you and about how you’re the most crucial thing in the world to me.

 

Thankfully, Uncle Jim found me and got me somewhere safe. Now we’re trying to figure out why the last mission  ended so badly. Other than re-counting what happened, which I finally did yesterday, I’m not having much to do with the investigation. That’s probably for the best, baby girl.

 

Here’s the thing in Starfleet, if you survive a horrible kidnapping that turns out to be some conspiracy to start a war, you get a promotion. So, I could go back to the Hamilton as the new Captain. I was even told your daddy can come with me. Because to be honest, he’s about the only person I trust as a possible first officer right now.

 

This would be a dream assignment in about 12 years when you, or your future stepsister, could qualify for the minors on ship program. I’ve been told that thanks to Gina, it looks like this might become a more permanent thing, but right now, I don’t think this is what I need.

 

Part of me is thinking that maybe it’s time to leave Starfleet for good. Perhaps I should get a nice cushy job in the private sector where I can be with you all the time. It was something I thought about while I was missing, especially when Garber wasn’t there with me anymore.

 

The first eight days were easier because at least I wasn’t alone. I had Ambassador Garber with me. Also, our captors were kind enough to not put the captain anywhere near us. I feel like he probably suffered something worse than malnutrition. Uncle Spock won’t let me look at the autopsy report, and Uncle Jim made it so I can’t hack into them. I really shouldn’t be surprised.

 

Then there’s this other part of me that’s not ready to leave Starfleet just yet. Grandma says the organization needs people like me. Also, I don’t want to leave your daddy up here alone with the wolves. Granted, he has Uncle Jim and Spock right now, but they are going to end up on a different ship eventually. Maybe by that time, the whole family can be together. Mom is thinking out loud, forgive her. Mommy is deciding what to do.

 

Mommy doesn’t want to go to the Hamilton. Mainly because it’s suspicious that nobody contacted grandma when she went missing until Garber got back. Jim said some of it was because people on board were lied to, but I don’t think that’s the entire truth.

 

On the other hand, mommy wants to work with daddy. I think we would make a good team. She’s trying to see if maybe there’s another ship we could serve on together. Mommy isn’t sure that’s ever going to happen.

 

Baby, sorry, I wrote all of this down. I just needed to tell somebody, and you’re a good listener. Also, mom is sad right now and a bit angry. She’s had a rough few weeks, but she loves you very much and can’t wait to see you soon. I’m giving you so many hugs. You’re my baby girl, and I love you so much.

 

Mommy will see you soon. Bye, sweetie pie.

To be continued

 

 

Chapter 107: Day 260: Brownies for Everyone

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation you are so fabulous. We have another round of rapid messages. It took another two days, but Sue is ready to message her sister.

Chapter Text

 

 

November 9, 2226

Starfleet priority message for cadet Elizabeth Chan from Commander Ling-Chan

 

Subject: Really, I’m fine

 

Hey, little sister. I had a brownie today. Gina brought over a fresh batch before questioning why I’m still staying with Sulu even though I could have my own room. Despite that painful conversation, I have the energy to write to you. More importantly, I didn’t throw up the brownie (or throw the brownie at Gina). Last time I had this much trouble eating, I was still pregnant with Desi.

 

I am sorry I kind of scared you so much when I ended up as a hostage in a diplomatic negotiation that went to hell quickly. Important life lesson, if your captain is ridiculously incompetent, report that behavior to there supervisor. More importantly, don’t try to cover it up.

 

I can summarize with happened as my captain was an incompetent fuck up and it all went FUBAR. So, you should know that the self-serving fuck up who tried to sell me off and ended up getting a bullet to the head, heart, and dick. I got to watch it. I have a feeling mom didn’t tell you that. Phasers are significantly more civilized. Less blood. I really don’t like blood. If they weren’t underfeeding me, I probably would’ve thrown up.

 

Captivity wasn’t as horrible as it could’ve been. I was with Garber for the first week, and at least they weren’t doing to us what they were doing to the Captain. We heard a lot of screaming. The food sucked because humans need about 10 times as much, but no torture or rape (at least for Garber and me), so I feel like that was a positive.

 

I think I’m more upset by how I ended up there than the actual kidnapping. It was a trap. I know it was a trap. Apparently, getting someone off the ship due to sexual harassment paints a giant target on your back. I’m surprised that they managed to engineer a diplomatic mission to go this badly, but really, I shouldn’t be.

 

I’m willing to acknowledge that by the third day of Garber being gone and my boss being very dead, I was 100% sure I wasn’t going to see you or my baby girl again. That was soul-crushing. My dad died when I was young. Not Desi young, but still young, and I don’t want to do that to my kids. You understand what that’s like.

 

I’m trying to decide what I’m going to do next. Part of me thinks I should finish off my time on the Hamilton. I will be acting captain and maybe cleaning house will be cathartic. Also, I get to bring Hikaru with me as my first officer. At least I know he won’t be trying to stab me in the back.

 

Although I’ve been instructed that Scotty is already beginning the housecleaning. Let’s put it this way, Noyta is currently deciding which member of her team will be the temporary chief communications officer of the Hamilton. So far, in the investigation, there’s about a 98% chance the entire Hamilton communications team will be facing a court-martial. You don’t want to know what they did, but it was terrible. Considering the subject of your Kobayashi Maru dissertation, you’re aware that a communications team can make or break a mission. Let’s just say it looks like they broke this one on purpose.

 

Perez is pissed. Rodriguez is furious. Mom is not there because she’s not allowed to be there due to conflict of interest, but I’m sure she’s not happy at all. Is it true she punched somebody? Or was it you. Part of me is regretting letting you take all those Brazilian jujitsu classes.

 

Anyway, write back when you have a chance. Thank you for all the baby stuff.

 

PS: I may have written Desi a letter a few days ago that was a bit on the rambling side. I’m not 100% sure it’s fit for toddler consumption, but I sent it anyway.

 

XXXX

 

Starfleet priority message for Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu from Commander Ling-Chan

Subject: I love your new last name

Thanks for writing. You are the best. I couldn’t ask for a better second father for my baby. Around the third day after Garber left, I started to think I wasn’t getting out of there. I didn’t exactly know at the time that they sent her back to the ship with my captain’s dead body. I was freaking out because I didn’t want to leave my daughter behind, but I remembered you would be there for her and that even if she didn’t have a mom, she would have another dad. That really comforted me during the bad days.

 

I know that you would raise my daughter as your own. You know I would do the same if the situation was reversed. I was so terrified. Part of me thought that I was going to die in some small room on some strange planet at the edge of the Neutral Zone, but I was comforted by the fact that you were there. Thank you for that little bit of comfort during that time.

 

I am completely taking advantage of cuddling privileges even if Gina doesn’t get it. I survived two weeks of captivity, I deserve some cuddle time with my baby’s daddy and BFF. I promise we will let you in on the cuddling when we all get to New Vulcan. I think we should just scandalize everybody and get a big suite/apartment for the five of us to share with only a king-size bed for us adults.

 

I do not know if my mom was reading our messages. Although per Perez and Rodriguez, other officers were already complaining about the Hamilton’s captain. As well as letting the Starfleet PTB know who was doing the actual work. I’m sure it was Reyes and that totally explains why she decided to jump ship for Enterprise. Which was why he was getting retired.

 

 Although I don’t know where he got that the ship was going to me. No one thought about giving me the Hamilton until he was dead and I’m not sure now if it’s something I even want. I’m only entertaining the possibility because they offered Hikaru as my first officer. Us working together would be fantastic, but I don’t know if it’s the right time. Also, I don’t think this is where I want to be.

 

Thinking you’re going to die gives you a lot of clarity and I kept thinking about my family. My daughter, my niece, you, and Hikaru. You’re my family. We might not be a typical family, but we are family, and I love all of you so much. Being with my family is more important. I think that’s what I want more.

 

You know I found out that Hikaru and I qualify for tandem/spouse assignments because we have a child together. I should’ve realized this because of Leonard and Nyota. I think this is part of the reason why they offered us the Hamilton jointly. I think Jim and Spock have completely broken down the spouses can’t serve on a command team together taboo. Although some people are trying to get Jim on the Hamilton (which he said no way in hell to).

 

Or Spock on the Hamilton. They weren’t entirely happy about Scotty taking over temporarily, but he might be what the place needs right now. They need somebody on the ship that’s competent. Regardless, I’m going to spend a couple of weeks healing on Enterprise and then decide what my next step will be. I can go back to the Hamilton to finish up my tour. As I mentioned I would be acting captain and I think Perez and Rodriguez would be trying to make that promotion permanent. It’s a we’re sorry you ended up in a hostage situation promotion. I don’t think I should take it, but what do you think? You’re part of this family too.

 

 

XXXX

Starfleet priority message for Commander Ling-Chan from cadet Elizabeth Chan

 

Subject: I feel like you’re using the Kirk definition of the word fine

 

When anybody with the last name Kirk tells you that they’re fine, you know that they’re not. That family has made an art out of being a hot mess. Kevin says, welcome to the family. He’ll give you the family T-shirt when we meet up in New Vulcan.

 

Mom is pissed off. A lot of her anger is aimed at the maternity leave replacement. I will not confirm nor deny if she physically assaulted the asshole. Mom is mad at you for not telling her that your Captain was ridiculously incompetent and probably only got his job because he was kicked upstairs, along with the mass casualties of the battle Vulcan and the San Francisco disaster. She’s also angry at us for not letting her know things were so wrong on the Hamilton because she knows that we knew because you tell us everything.

 

I don’t think she’s reading our letters, because if she did, she would have known about how terrible things were on the Hamilton and your Captain would’ve been gone before the diplomatic fuck up of October 2260. Or at least she stopped after that time Ben told you that you could fuck his fiancée on shore leave. Or any other time. I think you might be in a poly relationship or like sibling spouses. Which doesn’t surprise me because I know how my niece was conceived. (Does Gina know the truth, or did she get the in vitro story that you tell everyone else?) And hey, you can even be together on the Hamilton.

 

If you do take the Hamilton job, even though I don’t think you should, will you and Sulu get treated like a married command team? I like the idea of you working together and being on the same ship, but I don’t think that ship should be the Hamilton. There’s a bad energy there.

 

Maybe you need to take a step back. I think I am myself. You know you’re going to get a cushy job on Yorktown if you turn down the Hamilton captaincy? If you take that job, instead of spending next semester taking care of Desi by myself, I will also be at Yorktown. I’ll take a couple of online classes and another internship. This will put me and Kevin graduating at the same time because Kevin is going to take a bunch of summer classes to make up the difference. So, no sort of boyfriend on Yorktown, but kid and other best friend. Or maybe I should say kids? Do you consider K yours too?

 

PS: Kevin won’t let me ask you any significant questions about what happened. He reminded me how much I hated the post-Tarsus interrogation from everybody who knew I went through that nightmare.

 

XXXX

Starfleet priority message for Commander Ling-Chan from Doctor Benjamin J. Sulu

Subject: So, your mom isn’t reading our emails

 

I had an extremely uncomfortable conversation with your mom about her reading habits in our relationship. She stopped reading after I said you could hook up with Hikaru. Apparently, that was too much. If I didn’t write about the freebie pass, she would’ve kept reading your emails and would’ve realized what a disaster you’re now deceased Captain was. She’s angry at a lot of people right now including herself.

 

I think you know what you want and where you want to go, and I don’t think it’s on the Hamilton. Right now, that might be the only choice for you and my fiancé to work as a team, but I believe other opportunities will come up eventually and we can all be together. There’s always your Yorktown dream in the interim. I think your mom might be planning something. You should probably talk to her when you’re up to it. I heard your last conversation went badly.

 

She may not be perfect, but at least she’s trying which is more than you can say for a lot of moms.

Anyway, it’s so good to hear from you. I won’t ask you a million questions about what happened. You’ll tell me when you’re ready.

 

I like your idea. The kids sleep better when they’re in the same room anyway. Although Liz is going to babysit for at least one night.

Chapter 108: Day 261: Starfleet Email is Weird (along with everything else)

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last set of conversations. You are all wonderful. Your encouragement keeps me writing.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time sent: 11/10/2260 01:10:01

Subject: Of course, I’m going to be in the wedding.

I find it quite strange that it took me 13 days to get your email even though I’m now lying down in the room where you probably wrote it. (Just like you told me, it was pushed to my PADD right at midnight.) You know unless you wrote it in your little living room. I’m a bit jealous that Enterprise has enough space for you to have a small suite. I like this ship.

Although maybe it’s for the best that the message was delayed. I don’t think I was in the right headspace to read it right when I got back. I kind of want to wake you up and hug you. You should be in here sleeping next to me, but for some dumb reason, you’re on the couch tonight. Which is ridiculous because that couch is hard as a rock.

You will probably see this email from me in the morning and realize that I’m not sleeping, but that’s OK. I’m sure the fact that my pillow always ends up on the floor is enough of a sign that I’m not sleeping. I don’t know why you are trying to be a gentleman again. Just crawl into bed with me. See, then I would sleep.

I thought if I can’t sleep, I might as well check my email. Ben and Liz wrote back. Your boyfriend is totally cool if we fuck, so I think he would be OK if we sleep in the same bed. I think he is planning a threesome for New Vulcan. I love your future husband. Mostly platonically, but he is cute. Too gay to be into me, but might be into watching us.

From my earlier ranting, you also know that I finally got the email that you wrote when you found out about my kidnapping/hostage situation. I’m kind of glad you didn’t delete your original message. It was nice to hear you talk so freely and so frivolously. I’m so happy I’m your best woman. I’m going to be there no matter what.

I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to take the job offer. I don’t know if I want to be on the Hamilton again. The rooms are small, and I think half the people on board kind of want me dead. Why I don’t know other than rumors and nepotism. Or rather rumors of nepotism. Perez wrote again. She wants an answer soon in the event I do say no, and they must find someone else. I could understand why they wouldn’t want Scotty as acting captain long term. The Archer puppy incident has left scars.

If I don’t take the job, I would probably be at Yorktown. Which means I would already be there for the wedding. I could also help with all the planning and organizing. I may be one of the few people that can stand up to the Queen B of wedding planning sister of yours. I did keep her from completely taking over the baby shower. She originally wanted actual storks involved. I still think it’s a small miracle that your proposal turned out the way it did.

Also, Yorktown means a fresh new work environment with, I hope, people that don’t want me dead. Trust me, I know all about the communications team. I know the Enterprise transplants won’t kill me, but I have serious doubts about the rest of the ship after what happened. It’s not a good sign when 15% of your former colleagues are now in the brig. Can you command a ship like that? Should you? I don’t think you can.

Liz and Ben are both team Yorktown. Does that surprise you? Although maybe it’s because I ranted to them more than you. Liz, because she’s my sister and Ben because he’s not really Starfleet.

On the other side of things, you and I would make a spectacular command team. If we can raise Desi together, we can take care of a ship, even if it’s stuck during the terrible twos. I just wish it would be a ship other than the Hamilton. I checked, and the Hamilton is my only option to become a captain anytime soon. Field promotions are tricky things. Mainly when said field promotion is triggered by your captain handing you over to the enemy.

Do you think Ben will extend freebies if we’re stationed together? I feel like Ben would say yes. Especially if at some point it could be the whole family together.

Or how about more cuddling time? Seriously, why are you sleeping on the couch? Did Gina say something to you? She kind of gave me a look when I told her that we were sharing a bed. OK, and Gina kind of called me crazy for being so close to you even though you’re engaged to someone else. OK, she called me crazy for lusting after an engaged gay man. I haven’t exactly explained our relationship to her. Probably because it’s kind of hard to put into words, at least in standard.

Jim told me there’s this Vulcan word that Spock calls him, T'hy'la. Loosely translated, it means this person is simultaneously your friend, lover, and family. While it uses brother, I think family might be the more accurate translation. I think that’s us.

I wish I could’ve shown Gina parts of your letter. We’re family. A different type of family, but still a family, and I need that right now.

Xxx

“Yes, Gina did, and I definitely should have listened to what my boyfriend said over her,” Hikaru said as he walked into the bedroom.

“You should always listen to Ben over everyone else. He is the smart one in your relationship.” Sue joked as she slid over in the bed to let him get in.

“Definitely the smartest man I’ve ever dated. Apparently, we have unlimited cuddling or sex privileges. He would like pictures, but he is totally convinced your mom is monitoring our correspondence.”

“Apparently not anymore. Mom kind of stopped after she read that message where Ben offered me hook up privileges the first time.” Hikaru snorted at her words. “How much of my dictation did you hear?”

“Enough to know not to sleep on the couch again and that we’re probably going to have to explain things to Gina but not anytime soon. Ben should probably be there.”

“Ben should definitely be there.” Sue smiles at him.

“I also heard your debate about your career dilemma.”

“Of course, you did.” Sue rolled her eyes at him.

“You were sending me the message, so I would’ve read it eventually. Also, Perez sent me an email as well. So apparently Starfleet wants us both on the Hamilton.”

“And what do you think of that?” Sue asked.

“If you’re going, I’m going with you. I’m not letting you go to the wolves alone.”

“Which will make the rumors about our relationship so much worse. Also, it’s never a good sign when you refer to my colleagues as wolves.”

“I don’t care what those people think about us, and Ben just wants pictures. He’s the only one that matters,” Hikaru smirked at her.

“We will be the first command team with a kid together. That’s going to be a different dynamic. Although I feel like that will probably work in our favor. If you can raise a kid together, you can raise a ship.”

“More like the first acknowledged command team with a kid together that’s biologically their child. I feel like Jim and Spock have kind of already beaten everybody to it. Peter is totally their kid, and Starfleet knows about him.”

“Yep. The Spock-Kirk family is kind of adorable together.” They had dinner together the day before. Or, considering it was after midnight, two days ago.

“So adorable.”

“I don’t want to go back to the Hamilton.” She told Hikaru, being completely honest. “Even with all the Enterprise transplants, I don’t think I’m ever going to feel completely safe there. You can’t command people you don’t trust.”

“So, don’t go back.” Hikaru placed an arm around her. “Nobody would blame you.”

“I want to be a captain. Or at least I like the idea of us being a team together. I wouldn’t even consider it if that weren’t on the table.”

“I don’t think this is a one-time offer. We officially qualify for tandem assignments now. When the moment is right, it will come around again, but maybe you need a break right now.”

“So, you’re saying stop doing things I don’t necessarily want to do?”

“I feel like that’s great life advice in general. If you’re not going back to the Hamilton, you can stay onboard Enterprise for a while. Apparently, we have better rooms.” She giggled at that. “At least until the family meets up on New Vulcan. Then you can hitch a ride back to San Francisco. Maybe you could go back to the Academy for a while.”

“Teaching was miserable. That is not an option.”

“I feel like that was the case because you were really really pregnant,” he remarked.

“I had to go through all the exams right after giving birth. It was miserable. However, I would still rather go through pregnancy again than teaching. At least I got a cute kid in the end.

“Would you still prefer teaching again over the Hamilton?” Hikaru asked.

“That’s an evil question. The answer is, of course, yes, but still, that is an evil question. Besides, I have a better option, apparently, Liz let me know that if I don’t take the Hamilton, I get Yorktown, and Liz gets to come too for the semester. She’s also burnt out on Starfleet for the moment.”

“She’s not the only one,” Hikaru mumbled under breath.

“I know I need a break and probably coffee time with Dr. Reyes.” She’s probably going to be seeing her therapist daily for the next few weeks.

“I wasn’t going to say anything. Although I do think Yorktown is where you should be.”

“You mumbled it under your breath.” Sue shot back.

“I blame it on the lack of sleep. That couch really is ridiculously uncomfortable.”

“Like all Starfleet executive furniture, it looks good, but it is not functional.”

“I feel like there’s a metaphor there for the whole organization.”

“Go to sleep.” She said, leaning over to kiss him on the cheek.

 

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for cadet Elizabeth Chan from Commander Ling-Chan

Subject: You are not allowed to speculate about my sex life

Gina is bad enough. She got most of the actual story of baby D’s conception, although maybe I missed a few critical parts with her. Gina kind of thinks I’m a lovesick fool pining after the unavailable gay best friend. We’re going to have to enlighten her eventually, but we realize we probably need Ben there.

Although it is reassuring to know that mom didn’t read past the permission to hook up email. It kind of got more graphic from there. We are both adults, and therefore I think we want to keep all discussions of our sex lives private.

I may need your babysitting services when on New Vulcan. I’m not asking Gina. I love my best friend, and I know she’s looking out for me, but I am an adult here. If this is a mistake, it’s still better than my last relationship.

Sulu and I talked last night. I was already leaning toward not going back to the Hamilton. After talking, we decided that I’m better off at Yorktown for the moment. I need some time to heal after what happened.

I really want us to be a team together, but not on that ship. I can’t go back there. I tried to find out if taking over a different ship was an option right now, but that’s not possible. I think Perez was only giving me command of the Hamilton as a “sorry we fucked up” present. It’s not a present I can take right now, nor is it one I want. However, finishing up on Yorktown with the kids and Ben would be better. I wish Hikaru could join us, but we have a better shot of seeing him on Yorktown than we do if we're on Earth.

Write your next response the usual way. I think we’ve already done too many of these rapid messages. I need to stay in Jim and Spock’s good graces because I’m going to be crashing on their ship until at least Christmas.

XXXX
Starfleet priority message for Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu from Commander Ling-Chan
Subject: Most conversations with my mom go badly

I have a complicated relationship with my mother. I love her, but sometimes a lot of yelling is involved. Especially right now. I know she’s worried, but it’s a lot. The worrying is a bit overwhelming now.

You’re right; I’m not ready for the Hamilton. I didn’t even go back there for my personal stuff. Jim brought it over. More importantly, I let him bring everything over. If I were really planning to go back, I wouldn’t have done that.

So, after a post-midnight conversation with your fiancé and my baby’s daddy, we have decided I’m going to Yorktown. I think it will be good for as much of the family to be together as possible. We can work on the wedding together. BTW we should probably just get one large apartment on Yorktown for us anyway. Liz can live next door during her internship/semester on Star Base a.k.a. mental health break.

I asked her to babysit while we’re on New Vulcan. I was hoping for a fun time, but you’re probably going to have to help me explain to Gina that I am not some hopeless moron chasing after the unavailable gay guy. Although considering he got me pregnant, he is not that gay. I think he is maybe a little demi-sexual when it comes to women. He is reading this over my shoulder and doesn’t entirely disagree with me. I think my mom was right and I did accidentally end up in a kind of poly relationship. Still better than the last one. We are not telling her that ever.

Anyway, since I don’t want to hear your commentary about my mom too soon, write the usual way next time. I look forward to seeing you on New Vulcan. Bring chocolate. I’ve been told that stuff is a controlled substance there. Although you can get pot everywhere. It’s their version of Tylenol. Vulcans are weird.
To be continued

Notes:

I almost waited until tomorrow to post this chapter. I’m having a somber day today. For those of you that have been reading my stories for a while, you may remember a time in 2015, where I lost two family members to cancer within a week of each other. That was a tough couple of weeks. Yesterday’s loss of Chadwick Boseman hit me hard because of that. I hate cancer so much. We’ve lost so many great people to fucking disease.

But then I remember how many of you have told me that the story helps you deal with many things, so I’m updating. Although I’m really thankful, this is a Star Trek week. Also, I’m grateful that I finalize during the week because I definitely don’t have the energy today.

Chapter 109: Day 264: Your sister is cool

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so fabulous.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled emails.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Peter_K
cc: Kevin KR
Time arrived: 11/13/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Sorry we couldn't hang out virtually

Hey, this is Liz here. We're taking turns writing this because there's a certain one and ½-year-old that needs our attention. She's such a diva. She's my sister's kid. Someday I must tell you stories about Sue in college.

I am so glad to get your letter. So was Kevin. We are also happy to know that our grief checklist has helped someone else. Both of us know losing a parent is hard. We also know that going from a colony to a completely different environment is a process that takes a lot of adjustment. Kevin and I understand what you're going through probably a lot more than a lot of other people. We both lost our entire families on Tarsus during a famine and political action that followed. Your dad saved us so it's our job to take care of you in whatever way we can.

So we both are so sorry we didn't get to do a video call because I was so wrapped up in wedding and engagement stuff, but we are going to get to see each other in December, which is only about two months away. Baby D is looking forward to meeting her cousin. She always wants more playmates. Also, any friend of JoJo is a friend of hers. She misses her playmates so much.

I'm assuming that it's probably been a month since your last letter and therefore you have gotten to know your new classmates by this point. I want to hear all about these new people. What are they like? Have you made any more friends? Are any of them as evil as Jeremy? Did anyone tell you about Jeremy? I never met the kid, but from what I heard, he's probably on the pathway to being a sociopath. Mom mumbled something about him flunking out of quasi-military school in a week. She's not happy. My mom is not happy about a lot of things.

OK, this is Kevin taking over from Liz. Baby D just decided to spell applesauce all over Liz and our carpet. Who thought it would be a clever idea to put carpet in a kitchen? It is just ridiculous. Yes, it's kitchen carpet that easily washes up, but applesauce is everywhere. Kids are messy. I'm pretty sure most of the pictures that you've got of your uncle have been of him covered in chocolate sauce so you should realize this by now.

So, I was told you want stories about Sam. (Although still in London, mom does tell me things). Liz didn't know Sam and Winona until things on Tarsus went FUBAR. I knew him because the Kirks lived next-door to my birth family and me. Liz's family were civilian scientists like your mom, but my family were in Starfleet like the Kirks. It's in my blood just as much as Jim.

So anyway, Winona can't cook (still can't really), but your dad could. He made these fabulous cookies, they had toffee and chocolate. It was ridiculous, but delicious. I think I dreamed about those cookies when things started to get horrible. I remember the recipe (attached) and I promise to make you some when we get to New Vulcan. I think chocolate chips are considered contraband down there, but I'll be using candy bars and I'll make sure to bring some. So, you and I will make some cookies and get your Uncle Spock completely toasted.

From what I remembered from the formal Vulcan ceremony, Spock's probably going to need copious amounts of chocolate to deal with his father for extended periods. They love each other in a very Vulcan way, but I don't think they should be in the same time zone for more than a few hours at a time. Somebody may end up getting nerve pinched. Liz is glaring at me for dictating that. She knows it's true. I don't understand why she is glaring at me.

Feel free to write to us whenever you have the time. We want to hear more stories about Starfleet life. They must be more exciting than Academy life. My classes are emotionally draining and more than one professor is convinced I knocked up my girlfriend. On a positive note, a few of them want to help keep me from getting killed by Liz's mom. So, progress.

This is Liz again. I'm making Kevin put D in a new outfit. School is okay-ish. The Kobayashi Maru class is slightly less horrible now that Nyota's mother is in charge. That reminds me I must ask how Gina is doing as a teacher. She is friends with my sister, so I've known her for forever.

Anyway, like Kevin said write back soon. Pictures of baby D covered in applesauce included.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Elizabeth_Chen; Kevin KR
Time sent: 11/13/2260 19:43:47
Subject: Your sister is cool
It's okay that we didn't get to hang out in person or rather via video call. There'll be other times. I look forward to trying out the recipe, but we don't have the toffee right now. Jim told me about it. He says they are Heath bar cookies, but he doesn't know the recipe and is happy that you know it. Jim did say they were the best thing ever, and he misses them. Maybe you can help me make him a huge box of them as his Christmas/winter solstice present? I want to get him something because he and Spock have been so good to me here. I know that they could've just sent me back to Earth and put me in the system, but they didn't. I'm grateful for that. I think Spock would also be happy with said cookies because I feel like he needs some chocolate right now. The last few days have been hard on him. Maybe I can make the recipe with regular chocolate chips. That could work.

Chris 2 told me that she was in foster care for a while. Thankfully, this trial program meant that her aunt could get custody. She's been liking ship life. It's an improvement over before. Chris 2 doesn't really like to talk about it. It makes her sad.

Everybody has been lovely to me, at least they are not the pygmy of evil. I've heard stories about Jeremy. Apparently, he was a toxic force that brought out everybody's worst behavior, but now that he's gone things have been peaceful. The Ashleys have been good to me. Jay and I talk about comic books all the time. We like some of the same things. Chris 1 understands me because their mom also died during a research mission gone badly. So, they get it. Chris 3 is ridiculously quiet, but he likes to draw. (Although he does behave weirdly around Chris 1. Thanks again for the art supplies and everything else. It’s been useful.

Liz, I’m sorry your sister went missing, but she really is safe now. She’s been staying with Mr. Sulu and I don’t think he’ll let anything bad happen to her. He is very protective of her.

I’m kind of surprised you mentioned that your sister and Gina were friends because they were kind of arguing a lot. Gina was mad because your sister is supposedly in love with a guy who is engaged to someone else and is gay. Sue says that at least the situation is better than her last long-term relationship. Also, that Sulu is at least demisexual when it comes to women because otherwise, they wouldn’t have a kid together. Reyes had to explain what demisexual means to us. Sue hasn’t been around the classroom since and that was like three days ago.

You know thinking about the type of argument they were having; maybe they are friends. That feels like kind of a friend argument.

I feel like Winona is probably the better source for Sam stories, but I’m worried about making her sad. Jim says she gets like that a lot, and then when she gets depressed, she drinks, but she’s been doing better lately which he is happy about. I know there’s a lot in this family that I don’t know, but I’m hoping to learn it eventually. Anyway, thanks for the pictures. Also, now I know the context of the applesauce pictures that arrived a few days ago.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Also, I want to hear more about what’s going on in school. What is the Kobayashi Maru?
To be continued...

Chapter 110: Day 269: Confessions

Summary:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so fabulous.

I apologize for the four-week gap. So I knew that my fabulous Beta would be taking a break for a couple of months, and we planned accordingly. However, things went longer than initially planned. I have one more chapter left after this, and I probably will be waiting four more weeks before I post it. I do have nine new chapters ready to go when's proofreading returns to normal. But it might be a little while. I have a few stories that I only use an AI beta on that humans are better.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 11/18/2260 00:00:01
Subject: You're good at this parenting thing

I feel like you probably don't believe that mostly because I was such a horrible one. However, from what I've seen so far, you're good. Peter seems so at ease with you and Spock. He appears to be doing well, all things considered. Peter seems almost happy. Which is a good sign for any kid that has gone through something as traumatic as losing a parent due to the invasion of a killer parasite. Children are always more resilient than adults.

I got Peter's letter a few days ago. He had so many questions about Sam, and I'm working on my reply. It's going to take a little while. I started on it twice and hated my response. Which is why I decided to reply to you instead.

I'm sure you know how hard it is to talk about Sam. You're not supposed to bury your kids. I've done it once and almost had to do it a second time because you're a fucking idiot, but you're almost death wasn't my fault. Sam's was.

If I hadn't taken him with me, then he would still be alive and would have gotten to see Peter grow up. But then if he wasn't there with me on Tarsus, Liz and Kevin could be dead. No parent wants to think about choosing between their kids ever. Kevin is my baby just as much as Sam, and you are.

At the same time, I think it might be useful for me to at least for once focus on the good memories instead of the end. I guess maybe I focus too much on that. Too much guilt and self-loathing are tied into Sam for me. This leads to drinking, and I'm trying not to do that. Sobriety is hard, but I'm trying. Probably harder than I ever had before.

Speaking of sobriety, I think you're right. Maybe I might have a better shot of staying sober in London. After many long video conferences with Kevin and Liz, we decided that I'm going back to San Francisco for a couple of weeks to get everything together. Then I am going to move to London permanently. I was already thinking about doing this before I got your letter, but I'm glad to have your support.

Ming is already working on the transfer. The engineering department here can use all the help they can get. Rebecca is a darling, but things are incredibly dysfunctional here in London. Also, I've discovered that I enjoy making things less dysfunctional, so I'm gonna keep doing it.

I thought about staying in San Francisco until Kevin was no longer the parent of a small child. Apparently, everybody agrees that keeping me sober is the number one priority. Ming said that she can help with baby D while Kevin is on the Discovery. With Kevin being in space, I think I would like to be closer to my best friend. I feel there lies the way to sobriety. Or at least a better way to keep it. Plus, Nhi is going to need all the help she can get.

Surprisingly enough, it's "cheaper" to get an apartment here than in San Francisco, which I find utterly bizarre, a non-Starfleet apartment anyway. I can work for the organization, but I'm not going to live there. That's a bridge too far. Although I might keep crashing with Nhi until I think she can handle taking care of two babies constantly in the middle of the night. That will probably be at least a year.

I talked to Shawn and the team. They're working on making sure that most of the "money" from selling the farm is going to Peter. They're also taking care of the family that only cares about us when "money" is involved. Universal income can get rid of hunger but not greed.

Although they can't stop the tell-all. Honestly, let them. The truth is out there, and if people want to believe lies, they can. Honestly, the truth is juicier. Maybe one day I should write a book. I have so many stories.

I found out about the sex toys the wrong way. I'm glad your new legal team is handling that. You never want to go into a toy shop and see your son's picture on a giant dildo. That's wrong on so many levels.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in December if I don't write you another letter before then. I am planning to bring all sorts of goodies. I'm also going to try to go through Arlene's storage unit in Iowa. Her lawyer contacted me a couple of days ago, the same day I got Peter's letter. It might be why my response took so long.

You know I hate will readings, but that girl was always smart and had everything written out. In the event of her death, I was supposed to find out everything and get possession of all her assets and property or rather oversee it in a trust for Peter. She sold the family farm in Riverside a long time ago, but there's a small house that's in her name. It's a rental property now. I think she chose me because I'm here on Earth and you're in space.

Although she always had you as a preferred guardian of Peter. Maybe she knew about the drinking problem, or perhaps she just knew that you would be the better parent. I don't know, but your name was there. Spock's name was there as well. Apparently, she updated it after the wedding. Again, that girl was anything but stupid.

I was the backup after Kevin (who was also on the list because apparently, she kept up with us after Tarsus). I think that is only because an alcoholic is preferable to murdering sociopaths rotting away in prison.

Those people were so awful. I can't believe they murdered their daughter. I mean, was I happy that you were marrying a guy who choked you, no. I wasn't going to kill you to keep the wedding from happening. Of course, this may have been me projecting some of my Frank issues on you.

I like to say that there were no signs before the wedding that he was abusive, but there were. He didn't actually hit me until after the wedding, but he was always putting me down. He controlled what I ate, who I talked to, and even what I wore. I thought he was being concerned in a good boyfriend sort of way, but after a long time in therapy, I realized those were the warning signs that I missed, and I'm sorry. You have no idea how sorry I am that I missed those signs. I didn't see the truth until it literally punched me in the face, and then it was too late because he was already hurting you.

I know you won't make the same mistakes I did. You're better than me in so many ways. I love you, and I miss you a lot. I'm sorry I wasn't a better mother.

 

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills
Time sent: 11/18/2260 06:27:32
Subject: No, I'm not, but thanks for saying it

Part of me wants to ask why you were shopping for sex toys and came across the Jim Kirk version of the Pleasure Seeker 9000, but Spock said he would cut me off for a month if I asked that question. So, not asking. Also, deep down, I don't think I actually want to know.

I really wish you would've told me that you were not happy about me marrying Spock because you knew about the choking incident. I would've still married him anyway, but we could've talked about the circumstances, such as the fact that I really was antagonizing him on purpose. No, it wasn't the best decision on my part, but nothing like that has ever happened since. Spock has always been supportive and loving. We still have each other's back, no matter what.

I know the choking incident is something that worries you. Honestly, it bothered me too. I think that might've been why I kept thinking Spock was still with Nyota. It also may have been why I may have asked Nyota early on if everything was okay with the relationship and if he was treating her well. They were already broken up by that point, not that I knew, but I still investigated it because maybe Frank made me wary in that regard.

Let me say this, if I thought for a minute, Spock would be abusive, I would be out the door. I would be on the first shuttle out of here because I'm not going down that road. Been there, done that, and have the therapy bills to prove it.

However, I wish you would've talked to me about your concerns, but I understand why you didn't. Things are better with us now. We're talking to each other regularly. I know it's hard, but we're getting there.

I don't care that the stupid part of the family is writing a tell-all. Spock does. He might be conspiring with his dad. Shawn may not be able to do anything, but never fuck with the kid of an ambassador. Spock's family is super-wealthy, and unlike a lot of Vulcans of their station, they diversify their portfolios. So, when Vulcan blew up, they only lost about 5% of their wealth compared to most others. Granted, they're using much of it to rebuild their society on the colony.

I also got a copy of the will. It got here yesterday. Lawyers are supposed to be able to express stuff to Enterprise, but it didn't happen. Spock and I were already Peter's foster parents of record, but nice to know it wasn't just a deathbed choice. The fact that she added Spock was a nice touch. Although the fact that Kevin was on the list has me asking so many more questions.

Take your time answering the Sam questions. I get that it's hard because it's hard for me. If I went with you to Tarsus instead of Sam, things would have been different. Although I heard that the governor got away in the other timeline and started killing off the people who could identify him. So maybe things went the way they needed to this time around.

I've been trying to talk to Peter more about Sam, and it's been going okay. Not as much these last couple weeks because of the Hamilton situation. I'm sure you know by now that Sue went missing for two weeks, which brought all sorts of bad memories. I'm glad we found her. You have no idea how happy I am that we found Sue alive and not well, but in as good a shape as expected.

I think I was worried about having to tell Liz that Sue was dead. I dreaded it. She already lost Daisy, and she never fully recovered from that. Losing a sibling always takes a piece of you. I couldn't take another sister away from her. I know how much it hurts, too much, really. I'm glad we had the best outcome this time around. I'm sick of tragedy. There's been so much death, and I'm just exhausted on a profoundly spiritual level. I'm glad I didn't have to do another one of those emails.

Instead, I'm investigating another grand Starfleet conspiracy, but I think I like cleaning up the dysfunctional like you. It makes me feel useful. It's better to feel useful than useless. Too many times, I felt hopeless. At least there is something I can do this time around.

Anyway, we look forward to seeing you on New Vulcan in December.

PS: If you are going to look through Arlene's storage unit, can you see if there are any of Peter's toys that you can bring? Apparently, he had a ton of Legos, and a lot of it was in lockup. Ming loves her pseudo-grandkids, so I think you will be allowed to bring everything over here.
To be continued…

Notes:

If you haven't realized it yet, I'm a little too cynical for a completely money-free society. So I am going with universal income instead.

Chapter 111: Day 271: Questions and answers with Nana Kirk

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.

Just to let you know, the story is moving to a once every three-week rotation for the moment. I hope we will eventually get back to a once every two-week schedule, but it may be a while.

Chapter Text

From: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills
To: Peter_K
cc: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen
BCC: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 11/20/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Thank you for the care package

Thank you for your letter. It was so wonderful to hear from you again so soon. We decided that I would be the one to write because Kevin and Liz just wrote to you a couple of days ago. Apparently, it was applesauce day. I heard there are plans to do Sam’s perfect toffee chocolate chip cookies. They’re also planning to make them with you when we meet up on New Vulcan.

I heard plans are being made and you’ll get to meet your cousin. I think it’s better to refer to Spock’s foster sister as your cousin. I guess that makes the most sense. Her being your aunt even though you’re close to the same age would be weird.

I’m glad you enjoyed the comic books and other things we sent you. Sam’s favorite snack was the cheese crisp, so I’m so happy you enjoyed them. Let me know your favorites, and we’ll be sure to bring you all sorts of things when we meet up for winter solstice/Christmas/Hanukkah.

I think the ambassador still does Hanukkah because Spock’s mother celebrated. It’s his way of remembering her. Also, apparently, there is a gingerbread house tradition. I’ve been asked to secure the ingredients because they’re much easier to get here on planet than on the colonies.

So, do you expect to do a lot of baking when we meet up? I am so looking forward to that even though I’m not particularly good at it. Jim has stories.

Getting to talk to you again was so great, but I really can’t wait to see you in person. You can’t hug over a video call. Kevin and Liz are also excited, along with baby D. The baby just wants to hug everybody. She probably misses JoJo. That girl is also her best friend outside of her future sister.

BTW I’ve been in touch with your mom’s lawyer and have been given access to your storage unit. So if there’s anything you want me to bring, let me know soon. I’ll try to bring any photos or anything like that. But if there’s like a favorite teddy bear or childhood blanket that you just want to have, let me know.

Now, let me answer your questions or at least as many as I can. Your father is four years older than your Uncle Jim. He was born in September of 2228 in San Francisco. He was supposed to be born in Iowa because we were moving back there to help take care of George’s father, Tiberius. Unfortunately, I went into labor two weeks early. I never did carry a baby to term. I don’t know why I thought your uncle Jim would’ve been any different. Although at least your dad wasn’t a preemie.

We moved back to Iowa a little before your great-grandfather Tiberius died, but we were just visitors. I don’t consider us living there until after the fact. Maybe that’s how I saw the situation. I don’t know. Tiberius left us the house, and the ex-wife was left with nothing. So perhaps there was more to it than that.

Your dad loved 20th and 21st-century films and television. Now your Uncle Jim was into the music of the time, but your dad loved the movies and the TV. His favorite cartoon was Batman Beyond. Although he was annoyed, it didn’t quite get the future right. He is the DC person of the family, and your Uncle Jim was Marvel all the time. Of course, your great-grandma Kirk was OK with him dressing up as Shazam, but not your brother dressing up as Captain Marvel. She also kept calling Shazam Captain Marvel, which is ridiculous because that name change happened like 300 years ago. Be glad you’ll never meet your great-grandma; she had issues. I kind of understand why Tiberius got custody of George so easily in the divorce. A lot of people in our family have problems, but we are working on them in our branch at least. The other part not so much.

I think we still have your dad’s comic books in storage. Real hard copy ones. Some of Jim’s might be in there too. I am going to have to go through the storage unit soon. You should know that Jim and your dad used to fight over comic books so much when they were growing up. I never understood why. That is one of those things to ask your Uncle Jim about.

I had to think about favorite books for a little while. Sam liked the Namesake. He read it after finding the old movie. Sam liked the book better. He was a fan of graphic novels, especially historical ones. Somebody managed to get him a vintage hard copy of March. I already told you about his love for DC comic books. I’m going to go through his book collection when I go through his stuff. Maybe I’ll bring some with me when we meet up at the colony.

I’m also going to bring a ton of Legos, that was more of a thing that your Uncle Jim was into, but your dad used to play with him. They built an enormous skyscraper, one that I managed to accidentally trip over. Lego bricks are painful.

Your dad also liked to draw and paint. I’m going to see if I have any of his work. I’m sure there must be some stuff in the storage unit. I feel like I’m going to be spending a lot of time in that storage unit before moving to London permanently.

I mentioned it to your uncle in my letter recently, but I’m telling you now that I have decided to move to London. I think I need a completely fresh start. San Francisco was a good first step, but I definitely need a change of pace somewhere where I’m not reminded of the bad memories. I can focus on building new ones.

Riverside was a very tiny town, and everybody knew everybody else, so I’m not even sure when your parents met. Possibly at the sandbox. They were dating by the time Sam was 14. I think they bonded over screwed up families.

We talked a little bit about Frank, but it’s a tough thing to talk about. Just know that he was an evil person that hurt everybody. He’s gone now. He was killed in prison because they don’t like people like him there.

I don’t know if your mom and dad really broke up. Sam didn’t want me to be alone, and I think Sam didn’t want to force your mom to wait for him. So, they decided to end things while he was on Tarsus. I think he was hoping that once he got back, they would start things again. I don’t know if this is all conjecture on my part, but at least that’s what I hope they were planning to do in a better world where Tarsus was not a disaster.

I think it’s my turn to ask you a few questions. It’s only fair. What is your favorite food? I asked you to give me a list of snacks, but what’s your ideal meal? I want to know more about your favorite books and TV shows. What do you like about being on Enterprise right now? What’s your favorite thing to do when you have free time? Other than Legos, what other hobbies do you have? I want to know for gift purposes.

What do you want to do when you grow up? Yes, I know that’s cliché, but it does tell you a lot about a person. Until he was 12, Jim wanted to own a vintage record store. Then again, that might still be part of his dream. That could be the retirement plan. I could see him and Spock running an antique store that mostly sells music.

Has Jim exposed you to his vintage record collection yet? I know he brought a bunch of them on the ship, along with a ton of music files. He loves music. Your dad loved art, but Jim was the music person. Do you have a favorite song or musical artist?

What are the places that you want to see? Have you got to go to any of the planets yet? I doubt that you have. I think Starfleet frowns upon that sort of thing, but you’ll get to go to New Vulcan. I heard the ambassador was decorating a room just for you.

Anyway, please write me again soon. I need to know what to bring.

Love grandma
Xxxxx
From: Peter_K

To: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen; W_Kirk_wellness_Hills

Time sent: 11/20/2260 00:00:01

Subject: Re: Thank you for the care package

Thank you for telling me about Sam. I didn’t know any of that stuff. Mom never really talked about him. It would just make her sad, and she would cry. Eventually, I stopped asking questions. Batman Beyond is one of my favorite cartoons. I even like all the remakes. Mom doesn’t or rather didn’t. She never really liked remakes. She was always so hung up on the old stuff that she wasn’t willing to appreciate the new interpretation for what it is and to see it on its own merits.

No, unfortunately, I haven’t got to go to any of the planets we’ve explored. Also, even though Liz’s mom Adm. Chen said I could go over to the Hamilton during the investigation, Jim won’t let me. He says the place is a viper’s nest. Why would a starship have a viper’s nest? Or is that hyperbole? Considering what they keep in botany on Enterprise, I’m not entirely sure.

I like purple. Chris 3 said it’s weird for a boy to like purple without even looking up from his book. Chris 1 may or may not have punched him for that, and Gina swears she didn’t see a thing. Chris 1 hates stupidity and gender norms. After that, Chris 3 just mostly kept quiet and went back to his books.

I’m aware of Uncle Jim’s music collection. Apparently, his favorite album is an ancient one from the early 21st-century, Posttraumatic. I can understand that. He also loves the Beastie Boys. Jim spent 20 minutes explaining that Paul’s Boutique was highly underrated when it first came out but later was appreciated for the masterpiece that it was.

I don’t know if I really have a favorite album yet. I’m still trying to figure that out. Jim is helping me get there.

I like eggplant parmesan. The real made from actual plants version, not the replicator frozen version. It just doesn’t taste the same. I haven’t had it in forever. Not since we left for Tarsus.

Do you think I can talk Mr. Sulu into letting me grow some eggplant in botany? Is that allowed? Now I’m regretting growing sunflowers for my science experiment. I should’ve gone with eggplant or at least zucchini.

I like working with Spock on the science experiment; it was fun. We are still working on other projects. He’s brilliant. So is Uncle Jim. They’ve been good with homework.

Maybe I’ll answer the other questions when we meet up in New Vulcan. I need to think about some of the answers.

No teddy bears or childhood blanket. Although most of my Lego collections are in there. Don’t buy me more; just bring those. I would say get me some junior science kits, but I think Spock would be appalled at the primitive experiments. Maybe a make your own candle kit. Those are fun.

Since you can’t bring me eggplant, more chocolate, please. I feel like chocolate will be very necessary.

Also, keep telling me more about yourself, not just Sam. I want to know more about who you are. Like what’s your favorite color? Do you have a favorite song? What’s your favorite food. I think I need the answers to those questions just as much as you do. Dr. Margarita says that we can’t always focus on the past. We must keep moving forward. Learning about these things is my own way of moving forward. I would like your help with that.

Anyway, I am looking forward to New Vulcan. Spock’s father is trying to convince Jim and Spock to let me stay with him on planet while they’re working. That’s why I’m not surprised about the bedroom. I like the idea, in theory, at least. I’m a little worried that I would freak out again, but I think I’m getting better.

To be continued

Chapter 112: Day 273: Tell me about this Chloe person?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are fabulous.

I just want to let everyone know that I recently posted word 4 million on fanfiction dot net. I want to thank everybody who's been with me through this long journey. I can't believe I've written over 4 million words, but here we are.

I opened this chapter Friday to give it one last proofreading before posting. I realized that if I posted on Sunday, the dates would magically line up. I just had to do it. This probably won't happen again.

Chapter Text

From: Legal Queen San Francisco
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Everything is well in San Francisco
Time arrived: 11/22/2260 00:00:01
Hi sweetheart:

I'm so glad you got all your presents. I like hardcopy books better than digital ones too. Did I ever show you my library back in Atlanta? I don't think your mom ever came over to the last townhouse, so probably not. The new place will have a library filled with actual books. They've been in the family for generations, but I think I'm the true book lover of the clan. I think that's why Granny left them to me. I'm picking up a few of the best to add to your Christmas care package.

I'm starting to put it together early because I know I must get everything to Liz before departing for New Vulcan in December. I think they're leaving as soon as finals are over. That is still a few weeks away, but it pays to be prepared. Mainly because work is starting to get extremely busy.

I promised lots of art supplies for your artistic self-study. One of my work colleagues is also an artist in their spare time. They're helping me choose some excellent stuff for you. I feel like it's my job as your aunt to nurture your talents. I never really had that growing up, so I want you to have that.

As somebody who has had to deal with survivors' guilt themself, I can say survivors' guilt really does suck. I'm also sorry that you didn't have many good memories with your mom. I have a few from when we were kids before everything got so messed up, and she started drinking all the time. Or before I got messed up and did way too many drugs. I don't think we were ever sober at the same time as adults.

This is probably the time I should warn you about our family's illustrious history of substance abuse. You come from a long line of alcoholics and drug addicts on both sides, unfortunately. You're young, but so was I when I started. So, no sneaking into botany for the Vulcan headache medication or engineering for Scotty's hooch. Kevin told me the Enterprise is very well-stocked, Starfleet regulations be damned.

I'm glad you have Peter, and he has you. It's easier to get through this when you have other people. Now that I'm somewhere where I have friends, I feel like I've been getting better. At least I'm being able to process things better. I'm probably going to be working with my therapist for a while to work through a few decades worth of shit, but I do feel like I'm making some progress. That's a good thing, right? You'd think I would have dealt with more of these issues during rehab, but I didn't. My doctor says it takes time.

I'm also happy to hear that you are making progress. I think Dr. Margarita is good for you. You are healing, which is the most important thing. It's better to do it when you're young than as a jaded adult with a history of drug problems.

Me and the good doctor have been digging into my childhood, which is painful. The judge was always abusive. My mom was too afraid to say anything. Swallowing a bottle of pills was easier. Your mom was too scared to say anything, which is why she went through with the shotgun wedding. I was too afraid as well, so he got away with it. It's a vicious cycle, but it's over now. We're just working through the scars. I'm trying. That's really all I can do.

I am also happy to hear that you're making friends. The pictures from the ice cream social were adorable. Keep sending more pictures of you hanging out with your friends.

So good news, I am making friends here in San Francisco. I'm going to the office Halloween party this weekend because Chloe invited me. Her office is two doors down from mine. She is super hot, recently divorced, and she's the nicest person ever. She has a daughter about a year or two younger than you. I'll send you pictures of the party. Maybe you'll get them before you get this email, even though I'll probably be sending them a few days later. This delay is quite strange. The fact you get pictures first when I send them alone is bizarre.

Anyway, is the ship going to do anything for Halloween? I guess maybe I should ask did they do anything since I'm sure you'll be getting this email sometime in November.

Write me back when you get a chance.

PS: Sorry for delaying a couple of days. Work is getting crazy, which is precisely how I like it. I guess that means I am settling in.

XXXX
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: SulxuHG2260
Time arrived: 11/22/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I hate the Academy so much

Sorry I didn't reply immediately. I am surviving Starfleet Academy by a thread. I want to smack Jim upside the head because of the modifications to the Kobayashi Maru program. Although I'm sure, he probably didn't expect us to get a dirty professor. It's OK. I've regrouped, and I'm going through with my research project even though the original attempt was to discover more secrets about what happened on Vulcan. They must think I'm an idiot, like I'm going to reveal something ridiculously confidential during a school paper. Despite the recently released tell-all, real Kirks don't spill deep-held family secrets. Apparently, I'm considered a real Kirk already, even though the wedding is probably at least five years down the road.

Don't tell my sister or my mom this, but Kevin and I have started talking about marriage because of the wedding ring shopping. We do want to marry each other at some point. We know that our relationship is it. That we're never going to find another person in the rest of the Galaxy that will understand us the way we do. Kevin and I have gone through the good and the bad together. We know each other's deep, dark secrets, so we want to spend the rest of our lives together.

If we were to take a day trip to Vegas, my mom would kill us. She thinks we're too young to even be thinking about marriage. She forgets I lived through genocide. I'm an old twenty-something.

OK, maybe it's more like two or three years down the road instead of five because I don't think Kevin and I can wait five years to get married. Mom is just going to have to deal. I guess you can say we are engaged to be engaged, maybe.

I will say taking care of your kid for the last few months has made us realize that we probably could do the marriage thing. It feels like we're married anyway right now, just without the paperwork.

I should be honest with you. We are probably a year or a year and a half from marriage because I want us to qualify for tandem assignments as a married couple. Mom is going to be angry at us for turning the graduation party into a wedding.

Don't worry, I won't say the M-word around your sister. She's already going nuts for your nuptials. Please, for the love of humanity, don't do New Vulcan in summer. I will burn, and so will Sue. Also, do you want to risk the baby sunburning? Jim looks like a freaking lobster in all his wedding photos. Don't do it.

Halloween is only a couple of days away, and we must go to mom's Starfleet kids' party today. She's making us help. She put me in charge of getting the piñata this time because of what happened before. I made sure not to get the bachelor party version. Although I do wonder why we're doing a piñata at the Halloween party. Maybe hitting Enterprise with sticks is good for morale. I have no idea.

I've already picked up all our costumes. The kids are gonna be so adorable. Although you probably know that because you've gotten tons of pictures. This delay is so weird. Anyway, write back. Also, write to the baby. She misses daddy.

XXXX
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: you make a good Batwoman
Time sent: 11/22/2260 18:19:08

I got your party pictures a couple of days ago; you look so cool as Batwoman. I love it. Uncle Jim said she was one of the first LGTBQA+ characters in comics and apparently was a favorite of Peter's dad growing up. Jim downloaded a few issues for Peter to read. It made Peter feel closer to his dad in a way. Thank you for bringing us that moment even though you didn't realize you were helping.

I assume that the woman with you in all the pictures was Chloe. You two look good together. How are things going between you two? Is she a new friend by the standard definition or the Uncle Spock definition? You know that the Vulcan language has a word that means friend, brother, and/or lover? (Nyota added a Vulcan language seminar to our curriculum because we will be near the colony for a while, and we're going to have a lot of Vulcan scientists on board helping.

We didn't do anything for Halloween because that was about the time that Liz's sister was rescued after being missing for two weeks. I'm sure Gina spent most of Halloween in sickbay with her best friend. Although the days spent in lockdown before then were filled with lots of cookies and other food from the various care packages. We all shared. Considering we were on lockdown, it was still fun. There was supposed to be a party, but nobody really felt like celebrating. I'm glad you at least had fun, though.

Did you know about Liz's sister being missing for two weeks? I know you are friends with Kevin and Liz, to the point you know where all the good drugs are on Enterprise. I'm sure one of them told you it wasn't exactly the best of times. It's been hard. Things have been getting better, but it's been hard.

Gina's been out of it lately. She's been letting us study a lot on our own. Honestly, it's gotten worse recently because I think she's fighting with Sue. I know she's fighting with Sue because they got into an argument in front of the class.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. Mom and Gina are friends. They're working on our Vulcan seminar together to prepare us for the next mission. Also, mom may have given Gina her copy of the Idiots Guide to Multi-Species Polyamorous Relationships. For the sake of my own personal sanity, I am not going to examine carefully why mommy had a copy of that book lying around. There are just some things you don't want to know about your mom and your uncles. I just don't want to know.

I survived lockdown with most of my classmates. I am very thankful we have no new Jeremys. Although Chris 3 is a little transphobic. He keeps calling Chris 1 the wrong name and using the wrong pronoun, which pisses me off. I've been Chris 1's main supporter in the fight against dead naming since I do not go by my original birth name. If everyone can call me Josephine, then they can call Chris the name they want to be known by. Jay is extremely annoyed by this.

I think Uncle Jim will make us go through the Starfleet officers' sensitivity and cultural training course. As soon as he has time to modify it for high school students. Mom is honestly surprised this didn't happen after the Jeremy fiasco. I am too, but I think maybe we're more open to it this time around.

Thank you for sending books or at least planning to send more actual books. I had no idea you had so many hardcopy books as well as have a personal library. I can't wait to see it in the new place. Dad thinks that we might be able to do an Earth shore leave in a year or two. You know if nothing horrible happens. Fingers crossed.

I'm sad that you won't be able to come to New Vulcan, but I do understand. Sulu and his fiancée are planning to get married next summer in June or maybe July at Yorktown. At least civilian transport might be an option there. Plus, you'll probably have some vacation time saved up by then. It's something for you to consider.

Anyway, I've attached some pictures of the science projects as well as from lockdown chaos. Ashley 1 now has purple hair. Also, more of my art projects. I look forward to anything your work friend convinced you to send me. Is that a different work friend in Chloe? I'm curious about other techniques and mediums. I'm willing to try anything. I have ridiculous amounts of free time outside of classes and therapy. I do hang out with Peter and Jay, but they have other things as well. I think something might be happening between Jay and Ashley two. She deserves good things.

We've also been working through breaking that cycle of abuse and helping me not feel bad for keeping quiet. We've been working on that part as a family. Dad feels awful for not noticing how terrible things got. He also feels bad for not fighting harder to get me away from my biological mom before. Also, I kind of want to hug Uncle Spock for paying for the good child custody lawyers. That's more than a lot of other people did. Yes, this is a lot to work through, but I'm making progress. That's all we can hope for, right?

 

XXXX
From: SulxuHG2260

To: Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 11/23/2260 21:17:24

Subject: I now completely understand why you're doing his semester at Yorktown.

This is another one of those we've already spoken to each other several times since you wrote this email. It just seems weird reading it now after so much has happened. It is like this moment in time before everything fell apart. Ben told me about reading Zack's last email to him. It arrived two weeks after he died. Lots of crying was involved. At least Zach's last words to him was "I love you." That's more than a lot of people can say.

So, I did get the other Halloween party pictures complete with kids beating up the pinata. I also saw the images of your mom beating up the pinata. Which probably should have been a clue that she was just holding it together by a thread herself. Knowing what I know now, I can see it in the videos and pictures that she wasn't OK. She was just trying to put on a brave front for you and for the baby. Jim pointed it out to me because he knows. Winona did this a lot during his childhood, especially around Jim's birthday and after getting back from Tarsus.

Anyway, your sister appreciates all the pictures. It's helping with her recovery process. Obviously, she's been spending a lot of time in therapy. We both have together and apart. I wasn't doing well when she was gone. I realized that now. I was worried about having to raise our daughter without her. I was worried about going on without one of my best friends. OK, maybe more than friends. We don't need to put labels on everything—also, no reason to prove your mom right. I don’t have the energy for I told you so's.

I'm sure you know by now the wedding is going to be this summer at Yorktown. Your sister is, of course, going to be my best person. Even though our relationship changed a little, that's still how we're doing things.

What's not going well is Gina. I don't think she quite gets my relationship with Sue. Gina thinks I'm leading her on and doesn't understand how things are. We are family; we're a different type of family, but we are family, and that's just what we are. I love Sue. I really do. If things were different, maybe we would have ended up married together and doing a family that way, but I have Ben too, and that's OK. It's hard for some people to understand that despite polyandry being legal in the Federation for generations. Nyota is running interference, so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping that things work out soon because this healing process requires Gina to be by her best friend's side. It is not good when they're fighting.

So, with everything going on, I didn't get to help Pavel deal with the anniversary of his sister's death, and I kind of feel bad about that. He said it was OK because I needed to focus on my family. There was hugging and a pizza night. He's also cool with the Sue thing. Maybe being younger, in this case, means he's more open-minded. I don't know, but supportive friends are always helpful.

I'm sure he may have slept with his ex-girlfriend on anniversary night because of something that was said during fencing practice with the kids, but he's a grown-up. I'm going to just stand by and be a supportive friend when necessary.

I'm sorry, but I let your sister read your email to me over my shoulder while I was reading it. Sue knows that you're planning to marry Kevin sooner rather than later. She is supportive and will help you run interference with your mother when the time comes. Although, she does not want you running off to Vegas or anywhere else.

Sue did suggest a double ceremony on Yorktown. I'm sorry, but I want my wedding day to myself. I think maybe you two should wait until after graduation. Thanks to your semester in Yorktown, the two of you will be graduating at the same time now.

You're right, I haven't written to my baby girl for a while, although Sue did. When you get that message, I really hope that you do not read it to the baby. I was there when she dictated most of it, and she had a lot to work through that was not one year old appropriate, but maybe it's good that you read it anyway.

xxxxx
Hey baby girl:

I got to see all your pictures and videos from Halloween. You were so cute in your little costume, especially when you went headfirst into a pumpkin full of candy. I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you this year, but eventually, we will all be together as a family. Next year you'll get to do it with mommy and Ben.

Note to self we must decide what we're calling Ben. I don't want to go with "uncle." I'm not asking Jim and Spock yet because Peter is still calling them by their first names, which is apparently appropriate in Vulcan culture. Peter is not even to uncle yet. At least not all the time. It's a bit of a process.

Your mom says, "other daddy," but I don't like that. It's too ordinary, and Ben isn't the other. He's your daddy too, just like I'm going to be a dad to Katie bear. I'm going to ask Nyota because she's a linguistics expert. I know she'll come up with something good.

You know that Daddy is marrying Ben, so soon he's going to be your daddy too. Also, Daddy and Mommy are more than friends. I can't wait to explain the concept of polyandry and demi-sexuality to you when you're older. I think we're going to have to when we talk about how you ended up getting here in the first place. That's going to be a nightmare conversation. But regardless, mommy, daddy, and Ben love you, and we are a family. Not your usual family, but who wants usual when you can have extraordinary.

Anyway, be a good girl for your Aunt Liz, Uncle Kevin, and Ben. I know you're getting ready to move to your new home on Yorktown, but I think it's going to be wonderful when Sue gets there. I won't be there, but at least I'll be able to visit more often, as much as your grandma will authorize it. I'm not worried about Jim and Spock giving me vacation time because they will. They love you as much as I do.

Anyway, Mommy and Daddy love you, and we can't wait to see you. Also, Mommy is sorry that she vented to you, but you are her favorite sounding board.

To be continued…

Chapter 113: Day 275: Your Job is Very Weird

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are so fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny Time arrived: 11/24/2260 00:00:01 Subject: Your Job Is Very Strange Sometimes

I feel like I need to start this letter out by apologizing for my uncontrolled laughter when you described the sentient volcanic rock creatures. Although Selek assured me that he saw weirder during his long, illustrious career at Starfleet. Although he refuses to give specifics. He is such a bastard. Selek knows I can use a good story or seven. Of course, when I said that, he pointed out that his parents were married at the time of his conception. Does your Spock still do that? It's quite annoying.

I'm glad Spock did come back safe, even if he was a little worse for wear. I know you're afraid of losing him because you've lost so many people. I'm not going to tell you that it's wrong for you to be scared. I'm scared. It might be why I never really dated again after becoming a widow. It's hard to keep putting yourself out there when you lose people, but sometimes I think being alone is worse. I'm glad I at least have friends now. I've even gone to a few mixer events hosted by the Vulcan Science Academy. It was nowhere near as pretentious as I thought it would be. The fact that the Academy now primarily consists of Vulcan ex-pats that got the hell off Vulcan 1.0 because they never fit in is poetic justice in some ways. I heard rumors about some heading your way to work on a joint VSA Starfleet project.

Considering everything that's happened to Peter in the last six months, his reaction was perfectly normal and healthy. Were there any lingering effects on Peter? Starfleet isn't exactly a desk job, even when you are senior management. It is even less likely to be a desk job when you are in senior management. I was the therapist to a lot of senior Starfleet management over the years, and I've heard stories. This is why I really shouldn't have laughed about sentient volcanic rock creatures.

I think Enterprise is getting the young interns because having the youngest command team in Starfleet might mean that you're better suited for the younger generations. Although Ming is probably extremely impressed with your parenting skills. You raised Kevin. That's a ringing endorsement for anybody. If anybody else knows about the perils of raising a kid post-Tarsus, it's Ming.

I do agree with your assessment that Starfleet should reassess how young we allow people into the service. I can understand letting someone young into the Academy, but maybe you should wait a while before sending them on their first mission. Genocide should not be the first mission of a 17-year-old. That can cause all sorts of problems.

Since your brother is dating the head of Starfleet, this might provide you with a chance to influence this policy. I heard that Ming is coming to the colony in December to inspect the Starfleet outpost and a dedication ceremony. Isn't that convenient timing? She's even bringing this outside party planner from Sulu and Associates to do the entire event.

I hope the subterfuge isn't because they are planning to do a wedding at the colony. Please talk Sulu out of a wedding during New Vulcan summer. If you thought your wedding during spring was terrible, summer is so much worse. I'm starting to get used to it after being here for a year, but I think newbies would have a severe problem. Looking like a lobster in the wedding pictures would be the least of their problems. No one wants heatstroke on their honeymoon.

Although please pass on my congratulations to the happy couple. I hope they have a long and happy life together.

I can't wait to see you, Spock, and Peter in December. Even if you don't make it to the planet, which I doubt, I'll come to you. I'm still technically Starfleet. I think that allows me to spend some time on Enterprise.

So, what is your current mission? I have a feeling that the surveying assignment on the planet of the volcanic rock creatures was cut short. As I stated earlier, I need fun stories. The only other person I'm getting regular emails from is Dr. Weston. Her nephew is adapting well enough that they might be moving back to the colony in June. Apparently, she will be bringing a recently graduated Vulcan psychologist with her. It's a whole new field.

It's exhausting but rewarding at the same time.

Xxx
From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 11/24/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I enjoy hearing strange tales of Enterprise

It is great to hear from you again, old friend. I am enjoying our correspondence immensely. Although the doctor has been a great confidant, I enjoy conversing with you and hearing about what you're doing on Enterprise. I can say that even though I never quite experienced an encounter with sentient volcanic rock creatures, I did experience some similar situations. Starfleet did not believe us either. Unfortunately, we did not have lapel cam footage to back us up. That seems to be one of the beneficial policy changes that occurred in this timeline.

I am starting to accept that my past is merely the past, not the future. What is ahead of me is the future. It is shaped by the choices that people make this time around. Different options lead to different pathways and different lives. Those choices are no less valid than those made in my own timeline. Maybe, in the long run, they are better choices.

I am pleased to hear that Carol has found a path in this life that makes her happy. I'm not shocked that my counterpart is somewhat jealous. I wish he did not know about different choices made in the other timeline, but Spock should be secure knowing that you will not make those same choices here.

In that regard, I should keep parts of my past to myself, unfortunately. There is too much temptation to let that past dictate current choices, and I will do my best to prevent that. However, I will take it under advisement that Dr. Suarez can be trusted with these secrets.

I believe Sarek was always planning to be a foster parent or maybe use a gestational carrier's services to have additional children. Others have been donating their genetic material to the cause of re-populating New Vulcan. It is no surprise we are in the middle of a baby boom of sorts. I will leave any decisions on donations of genetic material to my younger counterpart.

I also believe Sarek is making plans for you and Spock to come to visit. There will be a diplomatic event regarding the new Starfleet facility's christening on the planet and partnership with the Vulcan Science Academy. I believe the head of Starfleet is also coming for the ceremony. It is supposed to symbolize a new commitment between Starfleet and the VSA.

I've been invited to attend, so we will see each other at the ceremonial dinner if nothing else. Although I hope you'll find time to at least have tea with me. I think it would be better for us to talk about my health in person. I would also like to see this great-grandchild of mine. Sarek keeps sending me artwork. Peter is incredibly talented.

XXXXX
From: Spock's_cuddlebunny To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez time sent: 11/24/2260 23:14:31 Subject: it's been a long couple of weeks.

Yes, my Spock Pooh does like to play dumb with colloquial phrases. I find it cute, Usually. Although I told him he can't do that with Peter.

Honestly, it feels like it's been years since I got your last email, even though it's been just a month. I had to go back and read my original email because it feels like I wrote it to you a million years ago. We've gone through a lot since then.

Our current mission is to investigate the murder of the captain of the Hamilton. Along with the two-week captivity of the first officer, a.k.a. Admiral Chen's daughter, a.k.a. Sulu's baby's momma. I'm sure you're aware that the head of Starfleet's daughter getting kidnapped would be problematic on its own. The fact that nobody reported it for a week makes it 1000 times worse. Obviously, heads are rolling, possibly literally. It's been a hard couple of weeks investigating, along with trying to stabilize relations with the planet responsible for the murder and kidnapping. We are almost done. Thank God.

Unfortunately, I can't give you that many details. Kevin and Liz are on the authorization list, but no one else, and I barely got permission for that. Let's just say you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to quality time in the New Vulcan system. Since they were in a rush to get the new colony off the ground, they didn't do a complete survey of all the planets in the system. Now they're backing up and making sure the sun won't go supernova anytime soon. I don't think that was the best decision, but that was above my pay grade.

Compared to these last few weeks of investigating the Hamilton cluster fuck, I'm looking forward to some nice planetary surveys and climate research. Although we are going to be working with a team from the VSA. Thank you for letting me know they're not complete ass holes. After what happened last time Spock went home, I could understand his apprehension.

Spock was a little worried about that. Spock is convinced Enterprise got this mission because the team wouldn't want to work with a non-Vulcan captain. At present, Spock is the only Vulcan captain in Starfleet.

Peter is okay-ish. Which is miraculous after the last few weeks. We had to put him in a secure lockdown with the other kids while searching for Sue. Okay, Peter slept with us for a couple of nights immediately after the sentient volcanic rock people incident, as well as once getting out of lockup, but he's doing better. He was even okay doing a sleepover last week with JoJo. We are even going to do it again tomorrow. Although it may be because it was JoJo. Should I be concerned that he slept in the same bed as JoJo during lockup and during the sleepover? JoJo says it's a comfort thing. That makes me concerned too. I'll talk to Margarita.

I'll take your suggestion under advisement regarding talking to Chen about raising the minimum age. I don't want to take advantage of family ties or give the impression of nepotism. Suppose I catch you one more Intern in botany trying to harvest the Vulcan headache medication. In that case, I will bring it up with Ming when I am forced to play Spock's pretty husband at the event in December. Since Spock is the captain of the Enterprise, I feel like I will just get to be his lovely arm candy.
I'm looking forward to that.

I am also looking forward to seeing you. I think I have a call with my father-in-law soon, so I'll bring it up with him. We will make it work. That way, I can tell you all my amusing stories in person. This is best because some of the stuff I've seen should not go in writing.

The wedding will not be taking place in the colony. We successfully convinced all parties that no marriage should happen in the colony during the dead of summer involving humans. They're planning for Yorktown in the summer. I heard the sisters were coming along but hiring the civilian one as an event planner is pure genius. I think they can all use some extra family time after the last few weeks. New Vulcan is going to be interesting this December. We will talk more then.

Xx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 11/24/2260 23:45:51
Subject: It's never a good sign when you want to talk about health issues in person

The last time I did one of those was one of the many times Winona had to go to rehab again. Fingers crossed, the most recent attempt works. She's moving to London, and I'm pleased about that. Winona deserves to have her own life without her George baggage. I think maybe she will be happy in London.

You're right; it's not fair to focus on the life we could have had. We must make the best of the life we have now. I'm trying my best to do that. I like being my husband's first officer and having time to do art with my kid. I do not like investigating Starfleet corruption like I am now, but that's neither here nor there. I'll tell you all about it when we meet up in person.

I am not surprised that my brother's future mother-in-law and my father-in-law have conspired against us to create an opportunity for family bonding time. I'm looking forward to being Spock's trophy husband at the Starfleet VSA event. I'm sure it's going to be fun.

Actually, it might really be fun because, apparently, the VSA is no longer run by assholes. I heard what they said to Spock that made him decide Starfleet was best for him. If any of those guys are still alive, I will hug them all. It would freak them out, and it would be the best vengeance.

I will make time for us to have tea or lunch. Peter is excited to meet his great grandfather. He needs good grandparents, and it's Spock's job to provide them. Spock is forever sad that he's the one with the good grandfather. I tried to explain to him that parents are usually better at grandparenting, but he doesn't get it.

Spock is not planning to do the DNA bank right now. Maybe we'll reconsider it in the future or make our own arrangements. Peter is enough for us to deal with at present. We are not ready to add a toddler to that.

I sent you tons of pictures. It's been a rough couple of weeks. Susan got kidnapped because Starfleet is a corrupt mess. Or at least people are jealous and stupid and idiotic. I'm legally not allowed to talk about my outcomes from the investigation. It is enough for me to consider other career options. At least for a minute, but then I remember the importance of being the change I want to be. So, I'm going to keep wading through the bureaucratic bull shit, and hopefully, it will be better eventually. One can help, right? Does it eventually get better?

Wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, we are looking forward to seeing you next month. I hope to hear from you again soon.

PS: Sorry, this is so short. I'm just mentally exhausted now. Spock is making me take a "me day" tomorrow.

To be continued.

Chapter 114: Day 277: So, This Is What the Calm Before the Storm Looks Like in Email Form

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You’re so great at keeping me happy and writing.

I accidentally almost did not write a response email for this. All the rapid message chapters messed up the sequencing. Fortunately, during proofreading, I realize that I missed writing the response for day 234.

However, because the Enterprise is much closer to the New Vulcan system, I decided to go ahead and put the replies to day 240 arriving first.

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 11/26/2260 00:00:01
Subject: The Starfleet PTBs need to stop sending stupid officers to the Academy to teach as a punishment.

That seems to be the only reasonable explanation for some of the crappy professors we have received. I’m sure there’s a lot of things that Nyota’s mom would not want Liz’s now-former professor to know about what happened on Vulcan. I’m sure you got Liz’s email by now about what happened. Add another one to the ass hole professor club. The best instructor I had at the Academy was Sue, and in her case, she was sent back to Earth because she had the audacity to get pregnant.

Because Liz is a masochist, she’s not switching topics even though I think she should. Liz does have a strategy, and her mom is helping, which is good. Liz is still cursing you out under her breath, though, because this was so much easier before you fucked up the system for everyone.

The cursing has increased tenfold because Liz is now in the putting her crew together phase of the process. She’s stressed out over it. Having to help the Admiral with the Starfleet Halloween party over the weekend did not help. Although she is much better at picking up piñatas than me. I’m happy to report that the kids did not accidentally get covered in condoms and little lube packets. Although we probably should get one again for Ben and Sulu’s bachelor party for whenever that wedding will be.

Honestly, I’m not sure that Ming would’ve noticed if Lizzy got the wrong one. She was out of it. As if her mind were somewhere else entirely. I’m worried that something awful happened that she couldn’t tell us about. Although I feel like if it involves you, I will know about it. I’ve already heard about the sentient volcanic rock creatures through the Starfleet Grapevine, even though it was confirmed by Liz’s mom. There are members of the brass that still don’t believe it happened even with the video footage. Apparently, I’m not allowed to look.

What are you guys doing now? I heard you got pulled out of there for the sake of peace, but I don’t know what happened next. Again, Admiral mommy is twitchy. This is making me flashback to Tarsus when my biological parents were trying to hide the fact that we were running out of food.

Liz says not to worry about it, but I am worried because there must be something wrong going on, and nobody is talking about it. Which feels like most of my childhood, but that’s neither here nor there.

Anyway, tomorrow is Halloween. Liz got different costumes and many pumpkin peeps. Also, she decorated. There are cobwebs in bizarre places, but it makes her happy, so I’m just going to go with it. We invited Nyota’s mom to come over, but we don’t know if she will. I think she’s a little worried about hanging out with us right now since she’s overseeing Liz’s class.

Do you know about that already? You probably do. I don’t always read Liz’s emails to you. Also, considering what happened, it may have made the Starfleet Grapevine. Nothing like corruption on campus to get the masses talking.

Things are a bit of a mess, which makes me grateful I’m going to be on Discovery next year. I wish I didn’t have to be without Liz for six months, but that is what happens when your girlfriend is several years older than you. She did her semester before we were dating, and I was miserable then too. I really should’ve realized I was in love with her back then.

So being the wonderful little brother that I am, I called the storage company and got everything moved to San Francisco. You’re welcome. I’m also going to take a few days in the next week and get the best toys and other stuff to bring. I will also see if there are any keepsakes from his mom.

Do you have any pictures of any of the things that got left behind because of contamination? Maybe I can try to get some replicas, or you can see if engineering can pull off some miracles. I was always mad Teddy Rocks got lost on the planet of the damned. I loved that bear, but I think he burned during the rioting. My mom gave me that. I’ve been looking for a while for a replacement. I found one a few months ago at a vintage toy store. Liz got me the replacement. God, I love that woman.

I think it’s essential for you to share stuff about Sam with Peter even though it’s hard. He needs that connection. He needs to know that we are his family. It’s part of the healing process.

I’m willing to acknowledge maybe I was a little clingy during the first year, but I appreciate you letting me be that way. Tarsus was hell.

I still think you should try harder to figure out how to recall messages. Seriously, there will probably become a point where you’re going to want it. Although kudos on figuring out how to block messages. I assume I’m just one little piece in the puzzle that led to Nyota asking you to block Christine’s emails.

Also, it’s probably better that Nyota had that conversation with Jo-Jo sooner rather than later. You know I saw some messed up shit on Tarsus, and I was younger than her. So those conversations are critical to have. You were younger when the stuff with Frank started. I think this is my way of telling you that you need to have that conversation with Peter.

I don’t think Liz would want to bring you or Spock back to the bad place. It’s why she’s not talking to any of the survivors we know that are on campus. I think her new strategy is to mostly rely on the records. The official report is filled with lies and omissions the I can spot just by the things you told me.

Although we knew that was going to be the case coming in. I’ve read the barely redacted report for Tarsus, and it’s also filled with lies and omissions. If that made you sick, you don’t want to know what really happened; you just don’t.

I’m glad Peter is settling in and adjusting to Enterprise life. I know firsthand how hard it is to get used to a new family after your parents' death. At least I knew Winona before she brought me home. In a sense, you’re a stranger to Peter. Yes, you’re related to him by blood, but he didn’t know you, and that’s a lot to get used to. It’s good he’s calling you Uncle Jim, at least sometimes. Just let him go at his own pace.

I am happy to hear that he was OK with Spock going on that away mission. Although considering what I heard about the mission, that may have been a bad judgment call on his part. How did he deal with the fallout? I only heard a little about what happened. What happened? I heard there was a fatality, but since no rapid messages followed, I know it wasn’t the brother in law.

Hey, I need to cut this short; Liz’s mom just called us in. We must go into Starfleet for something she won’t tell us about over the COM. I’m worried because she doesn’t sound good. You better not be dead. If you are, I’m gonna find some more of that magical blood and bring you back again just so I can strangle you. Don’t think I won’t.

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Kevin KR
time sent: 11/26/2260 21:32:41
Subject: It only took three and a half weeks to get this.
Just reading this email was extra surreal. The fact that it took so long to get here makes it even more surreal. Maybe the Starfleet PTBs were holding messages for a couple of days? It seems a reasonable countermeasure after a conspiracy to start a war is discovered. I got replies two days ago from Dr. Suarez and Spock’s grandfather, even though I wrote to them a week later. That’s weird, but we are much closer to them.
I think you literally wrote that email before you found out about Sue’s kidnapping and thankful rescue. I’m aware Halloween plans were derailed entirely, but I think the baby had more fun just eating peeps with Liz. Those were some adorable pictures.

Also, I assume you never got around to going through the storage units? I understand if you didn’t because it’s been a weird couple of weeks. You had more important things to worry about. I’ll talk to engineering to see what they can do. Spock being Spock, he did take pictures of everything. I know Scotty would’ve been able to do it. Unfortunately, Scotty will be on the Hamilton until early February at a minimum.

We are almost done with the Hamilton investigation. It’s been bad. Like Spock asked Bones and Nyota if they would be willing to host another sleepover yesterday bad, so I could break into the Vulcan headache stash. It was necessary, so necessary. I love my husband.

Peter was happy because he got cuddle time with JoJo. Margarita says that it’s OK to encourage it. I’m going to trust my child’s therapist on this one

Let’s just say I am now looking forward to two to possibly three months of working with members of the Vulcan Science Academy mapping nearby planets. As well as setting up a satellite network to study the New Vulcan system. Yes, they’re calling it that. I feel like they should have kept the original name, but Vulcans are Vulcans. I’m not going to argue. There’s just no point.

I’m sure you’re aware by now that I’ve been in contact with Liz. I’m grateful that she didn’t need me for her project. Although I heard Nyota was invaluable by sending her the unedited reports. I sent mine as well, although I feel those would probably be less useful. At least for the angle that she’s going with.

The picking out your own crew portion of the exam is not a new thing. I made Bones my first officer. I don’t think he’s forgiven me for that yet. I know Liz will pick out a good crew, and I heard you have already been chosen for First Officer. One word of advice I would give is don’t go entirely with friends. I picked Nyota even though she hated me at the time, and it was the best decision I made during the entire exam. She is the best.

I’m really looking forward to seeing you soon, especially after everything that’s happened recently it’s all been a lot. Please bring lots of chocolate. Spock will probably need it.

The disastrous volcanic rock creature’s incident feels like 6 million years ago at this point. I think I’d rather deal with that than this Hamilton bull shit. So many dirty officers, it’s ridiculous. I have lost 10% of my crew because they’re going to be moving to the Hamilton. I also have a lot of people in the brig right now. We will be making a stop at a still not named Star Base to drop everyone off before going to meet the VSA team. I really would like to get the incarcerated people off my ship. It’s all been a lot.

I would tell you what happened, but I’m just going to send you the report on the volcanic rock creatures’ incident. You have the security clearance for it, and you might get a chuckle out of it. It was so absurd I’m not even surprised that there are members of Starfleet that refused to believe it happened. Then again, these are the members of Starfleet that refused to believe all things happen.

Peter is doing good. Peter is still doing good, which I find to be a damn miracle after the last couple of weeks. He’s not even mad at me for having him do a sleepover night, so I could have a Vulcan headache Blondie and get fucked out by my husband. First, Spock came back injured from the Vulcan rock creature fiasco. Then Sue’s kidnapping. Even though he doesn’t know Sue, he knows Sulu a lot and has gotten attached to baby D even though he only knows her from videos. I think the thought of another kid losing his mommy hurt him.

Not to mention that we had to put the kids in lockdown while we were searching for Sue. I hated doing that. Before that, we just barely got Peter sleeping in his own room again. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to keep them in lockdown. It was the best way to keep them safe while we were in hostile space. Yet despite all of this, Peter is only seeing his therapist one more time a week. Again, it’s a miracle.

Peter and I have been bonding over stories of Sam and more comic books. Plus, I’ve been doing some art projects with the kids. We’ve been doing a lot of quality watercolor time. It has been helping me get through the chaos that is the Hamilton. I can’t have Vulcan headache Blondie’s every night. Thankfully, we’re almost finished with the investigation and can be done with this.

Well, as done as I can be with a substitute chief engineer for a while. Honestly, I’m not even sure when Scotty will be back. I don’t know if Scotty will be back in February. Turns out, the chief engineer was also in on the plot. I don’t even know anymore. I’m just so done with Hamilton drama. I’m glad you chose Discovery.

Hey, is Discovery picking you up from Vulcan, or are you going on to Yorktown? I feel like Spock’s dad would like to see Michelle again. I’m assuming probably picking you up there because I know they’re not actually going on to Yorktown until mid-January. Not until it’s time for the Vulcan consulate to set up shop. Also, I think Ben must spend a few weeks at the VSA for part of his training. I think Sue will spend some time there to do some work, or she might just be hanging out at Spock’s dad's house for a while. It's not like she doesn't have the vacation time.

I'm probably going to have to call and work that out with the father in law, but I really don't want to. He's a diplomat, so he does contact us more than he probably should, but it's good for Peter to hang out with his cousin. We were going with that because their ages are too close. I feel like the father in law has something planned.

Anyway, how's Liz doing? Please let her know that Sue is doing well. She's even crashing fencing practice.

There are actual rules that make it impossible to recall messages, and I haven't figured out how to break them yet. I will figure it out eventually. You're right; these conversations must happen sooner rather than later. Especially because Jo Jo is Peter's cuddle friend. Thankfully, it's platonic cuddling.

I just realized that I was younger than Peter is now when the Frank stuff started. That seems bizarre because mentally, I feel like Peter might be younger than me, which is saying something. After all, his mother died less than six months ago. I had an intensely fucked up childhood, and you had a very fucked up childhood. Maybe together, we can make sure Peter, JoJo, and babies D and K will have better ones than we did. One can hope, right?
To be continued

Chapter 115: Day 280: You have been busy

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are also Absolutely Fabulous.

Fair warning, it might be a month or longer until I update the next chapter. My beta is recovering from being sick, so it might be a while. I thought about holding this chapter for another week but decided to post it now.

Chapter Text

From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 11/28/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I heard that you have been terribly busy.

I think I know what important thing you were being called into. A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from Ming letting me know that Sue was missing. She was a mess. Which makes sense because if either of your captains called me and told me that you were missing, I would be an absolute mess. It's been a hard few weeks for her.

She kept it together publicly while Sue was missing, but barely. I considered it a small miracle that she didn't break into tears at the Starfleet toddler's Halloween party when her granddaughter was there. Ming was so worried about Demora becoming an orphan. I can understand her being so scared because you don't want to leave your kids out there alone. There are not many people you can trust with your children. Your grandmother and Sarah were some of the few. I think that's part of the reason why we opted for boarding school after your grandmother died instead of sending you to live with your father's brother. Considering he's currently incarcerated, we made the correct choice.

I tried to tell Ming that she needed to tell Liz what was going on, but she was afraid to. I think Ming believed that if she told Liz, that would make the whole kidnapping too real. Again, I know I would be entirely beside myself if it had been you, but she had faith that Enterprise would find Susan. I think that is the only thing that got her through that horrible week of not knowing.

I now know her faith in Enterprise wasn't misplaced and that you and your team really did save Susan. Ming told me she was in rough shape but alive and now able to start healing. This is good because I don't know what would have happened if Ming lost her daughter. It would have destroyed her. Losing her husband practically did. Then Tarsus happened. Sometimes I think adopting Liz was the only thing that kept her with us.

Loss breaks you sometimes. If it happens too many times, we become afraid to care about new people because we don't want to lose them too. However, if I could choose between never knowing Sarah and knowing her to lose her, I would still choose the latter. I think the old saying is, "it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." Even if things go badly, it's still better.

I don't regret my marriage to your father, even though it was toxic and harmful, especially towards the end. Because if I weren’t with him, I wouldn't have you. I love you. You are the most essential thing in my life. I think the grandbaby might be #2. It doesn't matter that she's not biologically related to us. Love isn't about biological family. Family is love and acceptance. It took me a long time to realize that, but I'm starting to get it now.

I hope that you will forgive me for it taking so long.
In other ways, I'm sorry I stayed with your father for as long as I did because I set a bad example for you. You didn't get to see what a healthy marriage looked like. You didn't get to see what mutual love and respect looks like nor what commitment really means. Marriage vows mean nothing if you don't mean them and you don't exercise them at every opportunity. If you don't put them into action, they're just empty words. Actions are more important.

You and Leonard are committed to each other, marriage license or no. Children are a long-term commitment. I didn't get it right the first time around, but I'm hoping to do better with the grandkids. One can hope.

I'm sorry about you losing your friendship with Christine, but unfortunately, these things happen. I'm proud of you for getting someone toxic out of your life so quickly. Unfortunately, I procrastinated too long when it came to leaving your father. I only realized now in hindsight how much damage that decision did to you.

Your real friends are going to stand by you no matter where you go in the galaxy. You will bridge the differences in distance by whatever electronic means necessary. You will make time for one another. You may not believe me right now, but you'll see the truth eventually. Ming is another one of my long time Starfleet friends. We've been through everything together, from widowhood to divorce.

Even though Sue is home metaphorically speaking, there's a lot of stuff to work through. Like figuring out how the Fuck did this happen? Starfleet is a shit show. I'm sure you're aware of that. I'm also sure that you have the answers to those questions, and I am no longer on the list of people who needs to know. That is one of the downsides of being the head of the Academy. You don’t get to sit on the juicy briefings anymore.

Another downside is having to take over the Kobayashi Maru. I think it was a great idea to make an actual class. I just wish we would've got a professor that I didn't have to fire. Now I'm in charge, and I already have a headache forming at the thought of reading 20 reports on various Starfleet fuck ups. I'm getting a TA. I really hope I don't have to teach this class next semester. Although I do have your friend Carol's cousin. Nice girl. She is nothing like her uncle.

Anyway, send more pictures. I need more for the office.

Xxxxx
From: NyotaUM
To: MomOU
Time sent: 11/28/2260 06:45:01
Subject: Busy is an understatement.

I'm delighted you could be there for Sue's mom. I know this has been hard for her. I tried to be there as much as I could for Sulu, but I wasn't there as much as I wish I could've been. Unfortunately, translation work was extremely critical to the rescue mission, and Spock only trusted me to translate.

With good reason, as it turns out. I'm furious at my colleagues for what they did. How dare they manipulate the universal translator algorithm for nefarious purposes and the possible escalation of conflict. I am still furious about it. It's been a few weeks since we discovered the corruption, and I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around what happened. It was the antithesis of what a good communications officer should do.

The whole communications team of the Hamilton is gone. Almost all of them are going to be facing a court-martial. The one person who wasn't actively involved still allowed things to happen because of their apathy. I can't give you specifics, but let's just say their actions got their captain killed and resulted in Sue being missing for two weeks. Yes, the captain killed was a dirty coward who tried to trade his life for Sue's. But they wouldn't have ended up in that situation if it weren’t for the universal translator sabotage. I can't say too much more. I shouldn't even have said that much. Let's just say I agree with several of your Starfleet statements in your last letter. It is a mess, but we're rebuilding.

Half of my communications team has been moved to the Hamilton. The people I trusted the most and the most skilled will be there. I'm going to be rebuilding the Enterprise team mostly from scratch. A diplomatic ship needs a good communications team. Enterprise, in turn, can go through a rebuilding phase. Communications is the cornerstone of diplomacy. As this whole incident has taught us, good communications officers can save lives. Bad ones can end them.

I've been hanging out a lot with Sue and her best friend. I'm playing mediator, but that's neither here nor there. I'm starting to get a better idea of what it means to be a Starfleet parent that can't bring their child with them. Sue was offered the Hamilton's captaincy. She turned it down because she would rather be at Yorktown with the babies than a Starfleet Captain. Sulu is staying here with us, and it's hard. I wouldn't say that he's a horrible person for staying here. I wouldn't say that at all, so I can't say that about you either.

I also did a search on that uncle that I barely remember. Now that I know what he was arrested for, I am a lot less angry about boarding school. Now that I'm a parent, I realized how rare easy choices are when it comes to your children.

Leonard and I are both scared of what will happen if we were to die on a mission together. Who would take JoJo if that happened? Jim and Spock are at the top of the list, mostly because they've stepped up to take care of Peter and are doing well, but you are also on the list. I hope we never actually have to activate that list, but you're there. I know you care. Maybe it took a little longer for you to show it, but I know you do. That's what's important now.

I think you're right about real friendships lasting, no matter where you end up stationed in the galaxy. Yes, I have received an email from Rebecca and Carol. She's settling in well in London. Apparently, Carol is a lot happier being out of the more militaristic part of Starfleet. I don't think she ever wanted to join in the first place, and she's only staying in now to be with her wife. So, London is better for both. I also heard from them about Kristin taking the Kobayashi Maru this semester. I'm glad you're their new instructor. The other guy seemed like a piece of shit. Although most of that I got from Liz.

Rebecca and Carol, along with Jim and Spock, are my exposure to non-toxic marriage. They have been with each other through good and bad and everything in between. They always have each other's back. Maybe after a few more years of watching them together, I'll be ok for the M-word.

In the meantime, I get to help with the Sulu wedding. It's going to be in June or maybe July on Yorktown. Sulu and Sue are like team bridezilla together, and it's not even her wedding. I don't think it's going to be her wedding unless they're doing a poly marriage. I love them, but I'm not asking too many questions. It is none of my business. Gina doesn't quite get the relationship, but she's working on it.

I've attached a bunch of pictures of Josephine's artwork and her recent sleepover with Peter. Spock decided that Jim needed a grown-up night. There's also a bunch of photos from the kids during the fencing class. I think there's also some of the Enterprise kids’ science fair stuff in there. She got an A-plus, but I expect nothing less. She's such a bright young girl. I adore her, and I'm glad she's your number two person. She deserves all the people who love her.

Anyway, thanks for writing. I promise to keep sending you more pictures. We will be moving on to New Vulcan soon, so I feel like that's going to be an excellent opportunity for photos.
To be continued …

Chapter 116: Day 281: You probably should get Gina a book on polyandry

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. Since Sue is now part of the Enterprise crew for at least the moment, we get to see emails to her now.

A couple of notes regarding updates: you’ve noticed that updates for the story have been a little slow. The reason for that is the wonderful beta for the story has been sick. Unfortunately, she’s going to have to take a break for a while and cannot do additional chapters. This is the last chapter she has edited. I want to say thank you for her hard work over the years.

At present, I will only be using an AI to proofread future chapters. If anybody would like to volunteer their beta services, I would appreciate it. Humans are much better than the AI. Once I build up a cushion of chapters again, I will probably update the story every two weeks.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Mommy_Susan
Time arrived: 11/29/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Have you considered getting Gina a book on polyandry?

I totally respect your right not to give me details of your relationship with your baby’s daddy and his future husband. Honestly, even if it’s not conventional, it’s the healthiest relationship I remember you having. You have spectacularly bad taste in boyfriends. The boyfriend that you dodge the pregnancy bullet with is only like the second worst. You had to press charges against another one. It’s never a good sign when you must get a restraining order.

Although, because of your spectacular track record, Gina is obviously going to be wary. Throw in the fact that you almost died, and that’s a recipe for making bad decisions. I’m not concerned because it’s Sulu. You two adore and love each other. Maybe not like Kevin and I love each other, but you love each other. It’s a family bond, and it is not for us to judge how things are. Maybe this is what you need right now.

I’m not going to ask for details. Instead, I offer my babysitting services as you have fun with your boyfriend and his fiancée. Are we using “boyfriend”? Labels are unimportant. You do what you need to do right now.

I’m sorry that the Hamilton was the only option to work together as a command team. I bet they made it that way because they were sure you two would jump at the chance to be able to work together. I really don’t want you to go back to that ship, and I’m glad you decided against it. If your rapid message were the other way around, I would have replied right back.

I would have sent a rapid message to your therapist and your baby’s daddy to knock some sense into you. The Hamilton was toxic for you. It was toxic before you almost died, you know it. You hated it there. I’m not even sure there’s a strong enough word for that situation in standard. I should ask Nyota.

She’s fabulous, by the way. With her assistance, I may get through the Kobayashi Maru with my sanity intact. The paper is due in a week and a half, which means I’ll probably have turned it in by the time you get this. Then the simulation begins. I don’t have my day yet. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m going in the first batch, which could be as early as next week. One unlucky person must go the day before the paper is due. With my luck, it will probably be me.

Apparently, they’re not going to assign us our simulation date until we submit our crew. It’s hard to finalize your crew when you don’t know what day you will need the crew to be there. Some people can’t do certain days when other people can. Kevin and I already have our preliminary list together. However, I must turn in the final tomorrow. I’m still surprised that they’re letting me have Kevin as my first officer. Mainly because he’s communications and on the diplomacy track. Although Ambassador Garber saved the day with you. So, I think we need to show our dip grads a little more respect.

Before I forget, Kevin would like the ambassador’s email address so he can send her a thank you card. I think that he just wants to ask her lots of questions about her job. Is she staying on the Hamilton? The kidnapping had to be traumatic for her as well. Then she just had to take over, which probably made things worse. Jim gave me access to some of his preliminary reports on the Hamilton situation, but some things are missing.

I am going to help you with your Gina problem because you two have been together forever. First, she’s getting the idiot’s guide to polyamorous relationships. They make one that’s not the multispecies version. However, I feel like that’s the better version of the book, so I might get that one instead. Also, I will take care of the munchkins during that extended conversation, which needs to happen. We will also take care of the kids at least one other time, as promised.

Mom has plans, and Sulu’s sister is executing them. Apparently, there’s a dedication ceremony of a Starfleet facility on the planet. It’s going to run with the VSA. Now I’m kind of sad that an internship there wouldn’t have been an option from a knowledge perspective. I didn’t go to Jim and Spock’s wedding for a reason. I sunburn easily. I’m so glad that Ben and Sulu decided to do Yorktown. So are the sisters.

Also, since it is a space station that isn’t entirely Starfleet, we can get family there easier. Although I have a feeling the guest list is going to be on the small side. After last year’s family reunion, most of the extended family won’t be invited anyway. That was by mutual family agreement.

On the other side, Ben has just a few friends, and I’m sure the list is getting smaller. A lot of people dropped off after Zach died. They couldn’t deal with a grieving widow. Then others that survived that dropped after Ben started dating again. Others are not happy that he’s already getting remarried. Like were they expecting him to cry and mourn Zach for the rest of his life? Who are we to dictate how long it takes somebody to move forward? Not necessarily move on but move forward.

You and I know the difference. We’ve lost people we loved, and you don’t move on. You don’t forget them, and you never stop loving them, but you can’t stop living. You must keep going forward; you have no choice. You can’t just be stagnant and let things pass you by. I think for a while after Tarsus, that’s what I did. I was just numb and too young to really know how to deal with it, but I had you, mom, and Kevin. Eventually, I started to rebuild my life.

I’m worried about you too. You went for something traumatic. Maybe it wasn’t genocide levels of trauma, but it was still traumatic. I was so concerned about you. I already buried one sister. I’m not ready to do it again. I never want to do it again.

OK, your child just threw apple juice on Kevin. I’ve sent you pictures, but I need to go help.

XXXXX

From: Mommy_Susan
To: Elizabeth_Chen
Time sent: 11/29/2260 02:23:01

Subject: I thought the throwing food stage would be over by now

I really thought she would be out of the throwing food stage at this point. Although it’s nice to have a little back story on that picture. We couldn’t stop laughing. The images have been a major source of joy during my recovery process.

I approve of your choice of Christmas present. Nyota already gave her the Multispecies version, so you might as well add the regular version.

We’re talking to each other, but Gina still doesn’t quite understand what’s going on. I’m worried she thinks that Hikaru is cheating on his fiancée with me. She hasn’t said anything since Nyota talked to her, but I’m still concerned. I’m not sure she completely gets what Hikaru being demisexual means. I think I might be getting her a book myself. Do they make the idiots guide to sexual orientations? They must, right? It feels like the type of book that the galaxy needs.

Bless you, little sister, for volunteering to watch the kids while we work out things. Gina is going to need to hear it from Ben. She’s cordial, but I know she’s still apprehensive.

OK, now I am pissed off on Ben’s behalf at all his fake friends. You don’t leave somebody when their husband just died during a major genocide. You also don’t leave your friend because they are making progress in moving forward with their life after such a significant loss. Ben deserves better friends than that, and I plan to make sure I am one.

I think you’re right about moving forward versus moving on. I’m trying to move forward right now after the Hamilton. You’re aware, I’ve accepted the position at Yorktown. I’m doing training modules while I am on Enterprise. I’m also helping the research team on the next mission, or I might end up being a field trip chaperone. Jim is still trying to work things out with Jim’s father-in-law.

Anyway, we officially wrapped up the Hamilton investigation and are now on our way to the New Vulcan system to rendezvous with the VSA team. You have no idea how happy I am for that. That being over means that I really can begin to move forward. I’m not planning to read the report. Not even the preliminary version with all the things Starfleet doesn’t want to end up in the final. I really don’t want to know.

Garber’s staying on the Hamilton. She wants to at least oversee the rebuilding of the personnel. I think once the permanent captain arrives, she’ll move on to something else. We might even see her at Yorktown at one of the embassies. Regardless I’ll pass on Kevin’s contact information to her.

There’s going to be a massive diplomatic Conference Center there. The hope is for it to be the new center for negotiations replacing Babel. If you’ve ever been to Babel, you’ll understand why they want to replace it. It is a horrible place for conferences. Also, Yorktown is supposed to be neutral, and Babel was never neutral. There’s also the fact that the Babel space was just old and decrepit. It’s like they haven’t been renovated in 200 years. Or they are copying that old earth 1960s color pallet. Who really knows? It is not my place to question the architectural decisions of other cultures and species. That’s one of the first things they teach you at the Academy.

I’m glad I’m here for a little while because I need people. Gina is still mad at me, but she’s still here. Maybe she’s not mad at me but worried. You do have a point. I have a history of picking godawful boyfriends. Although it’s not like I’m the only person that’s had to get a restraining order against somebody. Apparently, Jim has one against Pike’s niece Christine. There’s a story there, but no one will tell me, and I really don’t want to ask. Maybe there are some things you don’t want to know.

I can’t wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Things on New Vulcan are starting to come together. I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t looked forward to many things lately, so that’s a good thing.

To be continued

Chapter 117: Day 282: Family 2260 style

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so absolutely fabulous.
Good news: I have a new beta reader again for this story. Katruna has taken over beta duties, and I am very appreciative.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: Mommy_Susan
Time arrived: 11/30/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I will always support your choices.

Thankfully, you made the right one, and I don’t have to convince you otherwise. You absolutely made the right choice. I know the fiancé would love to be working with you. However, I think it’s better for your mental health to take a step back and do something different in Starfleet.

Don’t look at this as giving up your one-shot to get something but waiting for the right time. You are an excellent Starfleet officer. I ultimately believe that you will get your ship someday. More importantly, it will be the right ship and not some guilt present.

I probably know more about the Hamilton fiasco than someone who just barely has the security clearance should know. Your mom says way too much when she’s angry. There’s truth in wine, and your mom has been drinking and telling a lot of truth lately. Also, I think she forgets that I’m fluent in pre-warp Mandarin. Although even I learned a few new curse words.

I’m hopeful, though, that things will get better as we get closer to seeing you. It’s been a rough few weeks. I’m already packing, which makes sense because I am leaving San Francisco for at least the next three years, maybe even longer. I had no idea how much stuff I had until I had to pack. There was even some Zach stuff that I kept, including his ridiculous chair. I would describe it, but there are no words, so I sent you a picture of our kids lying on it. It’s ugly but comfortable. I always hated the thing, but I could never bear to get rid of it. It was such a piece of Zack. Even now, I’m just putting it into storage. Do you think Hikaru will understand?

I’m sure you’re well aware of the limited personal property you’re allowed to bring when you join Starfleet, even as a contractor. Thankfully the kids get a separate allowance because otherwise, we would be screwed. Also, your mom is putting all the Christmas/Winter Solstice/Polar Bear Remembrance Day presents in her luggage. So, it won’t count it’s against any of us. The head of Starfleet has a different luggage allocation than the rest of us peasants, especially when she’s on official duty. Are you aware that she’s going to be doing an event on New Vulcan? A dedication ceremony along with a tour of the New Vulcan Science Academy. Also, Starfleet and New Vulcan are signing an MOU regarding science cooperation. Ming was also invited to stay at a certain ambassador’s personal residence, so that means we might have a family day or two.

After that, your mom is coming with you and Liz to Yorktown. She is allegedly doing an inspection of the Starfleet facilities there and a dedication ceremony before going back the San Francisco. On the other hand, I will be staying for a few more weeks for training at the VSA. We are still deciding if K will stay with me or go with you and Liz to Yorktown. If she stays with me, then Zack’s mom will also remain with me. Otherwise, she’ll go on to Yorktown with you.

Do you consider it a good or bad thing that you get to spend that much time with your mom? I know your relationship with her is complicated. I would at least encourage you to talk to her. She loves you. She’s probably bad about telling you these things, but it’s obvious she’s trying to at least make an effort. You need to try to at least meet her halfway. I say that as somebody who’s lost both their parents already. You understand because you’ve lost your dad at a young age.

I know that Liz is babysitting. (I’m not asking Zack’s mom that.) Also, apparently, we’re going to have to have an intervention with Gina. You know she might just be coming from a place of best friend concern; your mom may have also told me stories about some of your past boyfriends. I actually met the last ex. Seriously what did you see in him? The only good thing he ever did for you was accidentally pickup fertility lubricant instead of contraceptive lubricant. In light of how horrible he is, I could see Gina being concerned.

Or she may be overreacting. I have been getting a mix of the two with some of my friends about the engagement. A few are happy. And by few, I mean Zoe and Zach’s mom. If anybody has the right to be upset about my pending remarriage, it’s those two. They are happy about it. Zoe already has a wedding book together.

Others think I’m out of my fucking mind. How dare I consider getting married again? I had no idea I was still friends with so many people who were biphobic. Obviously, I’m not friends with these people anymore. I cut a few loose earlier for similar comments. But at least they had the decency to mention this when the truth about Desi came out.

What is their problem? They waited for my engagement to tell me that they are uncomfortable with me being involved with a guy who had a kid the straight way. Did they just think this was some kind of rebound thing? That I would eventually get it out of my system? Actually, that may explain all the invite to singles night at Purple Hills. Some people deserve to be smacked upside the head. Like I need this right now.

Others were upset that I fell in love again. Or they think it’s too soon for me to move on. Fuck them. It’s not even moving on; it is moving forward. Who are they to dictate that? That’s none of their fucking business.

I never thought I would fall in love again. Zach was too perfect for me to find another person to share my life with. Lightning doesn’t strike twice. I found someone perfect for who I am now, a single parent/widow with a jaded heart by some miracle. True love shouldn’t come twice in a lifetime. Yet somehow, I did find it again.

Even better, I get this whole bonus family, including you. Sue, you are probably one of my best friends now, if not my best friend. You probably have taken that spot because I think the current best friend might be getting kicked out entirely. We will discuss that over drinks in Yorktown. Drinks with very high alcohol content, just us. I’m going to have to get your sister a sensational present to make up for all the time she’s going to have to watch my kid for us to hang out.

A part of Liz is sad that her time with Desi will be cut short with us moving to Yorktown together. I think it’s more like we’re just going to be splitting childcare duties. At least this way, the kids will be spending less time in daycare. That’s always a plus. Although at Yorktown daycare, they’re going to meet so many people throughout the universe, so it might be a perfect opportunity for both kids to broaden their horizons. Language training is definitely going to be a must. I’m already trying to teach the kids pre-warp Mandarin because the girls need to connect with their heritage. We will have to work on pre-warp Japanese and Korean as well.

So I know more of your long-term plans, but what are you working on right now that you’re resting and recovering? I can totally send some wedding stuff your way. Do you think Hikaru will have any suggestions or input, or will we be the ones doing most of the wedding stuff?

Anyway, write back when you can. You know I always look forward to your emails. Now I’m going to get to hear all the juicy Enterprise gossip.
XXXXX
From: Mommy_Susan
To: Benjamin_2254
Time sent: 11/30/2260 22:32:01
Subject: I strive to be the supportive friend.

I feel like I’m the juicy Enterprise gossip at the moment. Everybody is speculating about our relationship. Jim offered to assign me a room on paper. I don’t feel like faking it to make other people comfortable. I moved past that phase of my life in high school.

Pavlov is back with his ex. Whether they are actually back together or just sleeping together again, I don’t know. It’s none of my business. If he wants me to know, he’ll tell me or rather tell Hikaru because we don’t do secrets.

Why do I feel like nobody told you that Hikaru pretty much did Jim’s wedding by himself with minimal help from his sister? The first one before they were forced to redo their wedding vows on New Vulcan. Again thank you for not doing a New Vulcan wedding. I really hope you’re bringing lots of sunscreen. It’s going to be a scorcher.

Let’s just say your fiancé can definitely plan a wedding. We’ve actually have been doing a lot of wedding planning. We had a lot of time to work on this during the height of the Hamilton investigation because Hikaru wasn’t allowed anywhere near the ship. The sister sent us a website that we’ve been using. Although Starfleet knows when the data will get pushed to her and you. I’m sure by now, Ms. wedding planner has given you the link. You should share it with Zoe. We have chosen a color scheme together, though. We have also successfully picked out the bridal party, but you have veto power.

I may have started doing the wedding planning stuff as a distraction. I just needed to focus on something. I might actually keep working on it by myself. The Vulcans are invading soon, so your fiancé is back to his day job, and I’m all by myself all day. I must keep entertained somehow. Training modules are boring.
This will probably be another thing that we will go over drinks by ourselves. Because the sister-in-law would just get way too involved, and you don’t need that. Remember to be forceful with her.

Also, I don’t care how cute it will look. Neither kid is carrying the pillow down to you and the fiancé. Someone is going to end up swallowing a ring. Peter is probably too old to be ring bearer under normal circumstances. However, the ring bearer should be mature enough not to swallow the ring. Since princess keeps spilling pudding on Kevin, I don’t think she’s there yet, and I don’t think she’s going to get there in the next six months. That’s just a mother’s intuition. K might be there developmentally, but you’re going to have to convince me before I’ll sign off on that.

If you want me and Liz to take K while you concentrate on your crash course at the VSA, I’ll be happy to do it. I feel like I’m kind of going to be a stepmom in a lot of ways. I guess my role probably needs to be discussed too. Okay, now I understand why Jim got me a copy of The Idiot’s Guide to Family Bonding.

Your real friends are going to be by your side no matter what. Gina might be questioning my judgment right now, but she still brought me brownies. Gina has agreed to back off until she talks to you. I offered her your email, but she wants an in-person discussion. I have this feeling that alcohol might also be involved.

Yes, some of it is her being overprotective. We talked today, and I told her about what Liz said yesterday. She is worried because I have spectacularly awful taste in boyfriends. The guy I barely avoided having a kid with was not even the worst. I had to get a restraining order once. That was a nightmare.

Also, that nightmare was why I ended up taking my initial Hamilton assignment. It may have been why I rebounded spectacularly to the asshole. I should have just broken up with him instead of scheduling a threesome, but I don’t regret it. Also, at least Hikaru can make me orgasm. The other guy not at all

There may have been some recent orgasms. No sex yet, but let’s just call it extreme cuddling. It was nice. Although I’m not telling Gina that.

Okay, let’s get back to the fact that your friends are assholes or former friends because you are no one’s doormat. That’s my favorite thing about you. They should be happy you found somebody else and that you’re not drowning in grief.

My mom drowned. Not like what happened with Winona, but it wasn’t good. Winona threw herself in the bottle, and mom threw herself into Starfleet.
She wanted to change things, so what happened to her wouldn’t happen to somebody else. It’s why she said fuck it and completely disobeyed Starfleet orders and went straight to Tarsus. She saved a lot of lives. I don’t know everything that happened there, and I probably never will. But I know it would’ve been worse if she would’ve followed orders.

What I’m trying to say is you’re better off without these people. You don’t need them, you have your new family. Also, we are going to meet tons of new people in Yorktown and make better friends. Or at least ones that aren’t ridiculously controlling. There is a difference between concerned friends and needy, controlling friends. Gina is concerned, and I’m just going to keep my mouth shut about what I think about where your soon-to-be former friends fall on the spectrum. But again, congratulations on throwing them to the curb. I’ll get you a cupcake.

Part of me is looking forward to seeing mom in person. The other part of me is dreading it. Our relationship has always been complicated. Her going back to work after dad died and sending me to live with grandma didn’t help things. But I understand. Everybody deals with the trauma differently. She needed to work, and I need to be with my family. Maybe because of her need to work, that’s why I want to be with my family. But if she didn’t do what she did, then I wouldn’t have Liz as part of my family. Maybe things end up the way they’re supposed to. We’re all one big family here.

Are you sure you really want to marry into this? We are not the most stable family in the galaxy; everyone has at least one therapist on call. No one would be shocked if you ran away. If it’s really true love, I don’t think you’ll ever want to. I think it’s true love.

PS: Your fiancé is perfectly OK with you keeping the ridiculous chair. He thought the kids were adorable in that picture, by the way. Although you’re right, it is ridiculously ugly. Although somebody thinks it looks comfortable. Idiot.

 

To be continued

Chapter 118: Day 283: I'm glad we're like this

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. Your reviews keep me in the happy writing zone. I look forward to seeing your comments after every chapter.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: I just want to give you a hug.
Time arrived: 12/01/2260 00:00:01

I'm glad you warned me that your letter would be a lot. I wish I could have been there to hug you at the time. It must have been difficult with Sue being missing. That must’ve been such an awful time for you. I remember the days waiting to get word of Zach and then Starfleet officers showing up at my door. I burst into tears the moment I saw them because I knew he was gone. I’m glad you didn’t have that.

I'm also glad you didn’t send this to me as a rapid message. I think it was better that I could read your letter after sharing several rapid messages with you and Sue, knowing that you're both mostly okay.

I don't think you can go through what she went through and be 100% okay. I don't think you can either because the thoughts of losing someone you care about can be hard to process even when you get the best possible outcome.

I care about Sue a lot. I think somehow, she became one of my best friends. I'm still a little confused on exactly how that happened. I blame you in the best way possible. We bonded over you being gone and horrible playgroups, as you’re aware. She has excellent taste in wine. Also, the Hamilton was usually closer by, and I got more messages from her than you. Now that she’s on Enterprise, I feel like there’s a better chance of me seeing you two in person before getting a response to the message I sent her a couple of days ago.

A year and a half ago, when my boyfriend of only a couple of weeks informed me that he just found out he had a kid by his friend he sometimes hooked up with, I didn't know what to think. You were the second guy I tried anything with after Zach died. The first was, of course, a disaster as it should have been. He disappeared after he found out I had a kid and a dead husband. See, aren't you glad you weren't the rebound?

I had so-called friends telling me to dump you. (I honestly appreciate that more than the ones who waited until the engagement to say the same thing but whatever.) These people were convinced you would suddenly figure out you were straight. I’m rolling my eyes while typing this. It's 2260, and people still have trouble grasping the concept of bisexuality. Although in your case, I'm going with demisexual in regards to women. Because you're never with someone who is female unless you really care about them.

I know that you really care about Sue. It was never just a casual hookup with the two of you. This connection between you and her is ridiculously strong. I knew that before reading your email to me. I'm okay with that. I’m glad you have that.

We get to decide who we are, not anyone else.

We are the ones who decide what our family is like; I like this family. I like that I can send snarky emails to Sue. Also, I'm really looking forward to our wine and toddler playgroup days again. That's like the best part of her deciding to go the Yorktown with me. Well, other than you being close by us and, therefore, seeing you more than once every couple of years.

I’m up for a Gina intervention if you need me. Although I may need help with Zoe. She kind of read some of Sue’s rapid messages to me, and now she has lots of questions. Maybe some of this should be happening as a group. I don't necessarily want to explain myself to my sister-in-law, but I kind of have to.

You know I originally wrote sister there. I guess it's more like that. Being an only child, I do feel like Zoe's my sister. I adore her. I always have.

I'm mostly packed and have everything in storage. Now that we're engaged, some things are a little bit easier, like storage unit access. Although I do have to make sure I don't lose Zach’s pension because of the remarriage. I have a few meetings before leaving the planet regarding that. Winona told me to get it straightened out before the wedding. I'm going to trust her in this regard. The bureaucracy involved in this is a bit of a nightmare, and that woman knows bureaucracy. That plan to become a cashless society is falling apart more and more.

So our kids were extra cranky today because they had to get a bunch of vaccines due to going to the colony. They were not happy. They didn't have to go through as much for when we went to Yorktown. Which doesn't make sense because Yorktown has visitors from all over the galaxy. Although maybe we're getting vaccinated to protect the Vulcans from us. We don't want to accidentally give someone a cold that can kill them.

I took the kids by myself because Liz just found out that she would have to do her Kobayashi Maru in six days. She has the second slot. Liz thinks it’s because she is being punished, but I think it’s because we’re going to have to leave a week before finals. Unlike all the other exams, she can’t take this from the ship. I heard this is SOP for Starfleet cadets to do their finals during transport when they have to be shipped out early for their semester on ship. Regardless she’s not happy about it. Liz is only going to get to do a run-through with her team once. I’m trying to help her with baby D because Kevin must be with her.

It's starting to become more real that I will start a completely new career on a space station in the middle of nowhere. Okay, the same career but at a new location. You get what I mean. Although I feel like being the head of pediatric medicine on a far-off Starbase is different than being a local pediatrician in San Francisco. I am excited and looking forward to it.

Earth is overrated. Even if I'm going to be on a space station, I'm still getting a chance to see the big galaxy. More importantly, the kids will as well. San Francisco is a very diverse place, but Yorktown would be so much more. Also, I think I'm ready to leave the family drama far behind. Zach's dad tried to talk to his soon-to-be ex-wife again.

Obviously, authorities were called in to escort him far away. We've decided that the lawyers will not notify him of her leaving the planet until we're on our way. Also, because Starfleet is involved, her location can remain classified, which is just good for everybody involved. The whole family has issues.

I hate that Zoe will be the one coming back to the planet alone. However, I think she's planning to look for a job very far away and not give her father her new address. We are all done with him. So done. She’s a scientist, so there are options.

XXXX

From: SuluHG2260
From: Benjamin_2254
Subject: I just want to give you a hug.
Time sent: 12/01/2260 06:12:01

I'm sorry, sweetie, that you still have to deal with Zach's dad. I wish you didn't have to, but I'm also glad that you're leaving soon. I think by the time you get this, you'll probably be en route here. I know you're getting to New Vulcan after we arrive in the system. We're actually on our way to the sector. Although we won't be arriving to New Vulcan until a few days before the ceremony.

We are supposed to pick up some Vulcan Science Academy members who will be temporarily assigned to our ship during our two-month research assignment. It's supposed to demonstrate the cooperation between Starfleet and the VSA. Especially because the VSA is rebuilding. Spock has told me that many of the best scientists did survive because they were on various research ships at the time of the planet's destruction. Sometimes serendipitous things happen.

Spock also mentioned that the Academy is looking for researchers, particularly geologists. Spock may have looked up Zoe’s CV at Sue’s urging. His dad is on the board there, apparently. He’s now taking a more active role now that he switched from diplomacy to parenthood. He has a new foster daughter. Although I think he’s considering adoption.

I understand your closeness with Zoe. Gina is like that with Sue. I don't know if you put it all together, but Sue was a teenager when Liz was adopted. For most of her childhood, Sue was an only child. Because of that, Gina became her surrogate sister. Sue even lived with Gina‘s family for a while after her father died. Those two have been together since playgroup. Actually, I don't think they were that much older than D and K are now. So that tells you the level of their relationship. There's a lot Gina doesn't know. Unfortunately, what she doesn't know is mostly related to my relationship with Sue.

I don't think Sue ever told her about all of the times we hooked up in the Academy. The first time it happened, even I was shocked. I thought I was really, really gay and then ended up making out with one of my dearest female friends. I didn't quite understand what was happening at the time. Does this surprise you? But we've always been close. It’s also only been her. I told you this before, I’m sure I have, but it doesn’t hurt to say it again.

I'm still so happy that I was the one who got her pregnant and not the other guy. Not just because I love my daughter so much. The other guy is an absolute piece of shit. I am also happy because it's us together.

Honestly, I thought you would dump me too when I told you about the surprise kid. Who wants to deal with someone else’s kid, especially when you already have your own child? I think I cried right before I called you because I was so afraid you were just going to dump me. Even though it was only a few weeks, I still had such strong feelings for you already. I have never felt the way I feel about you about anybody. Sue is the closest, but again that's more friendship, mostly. There may have been some cuddling and orgasms recently. Although not all the way because she’s not ready for that. I think Leonard would probably hurt me if he knew how far we have gone.

Thank you for not listening to your friends. I'm sure it came from a good place, but they don't know me. You might want to get different friends if they have such a hard time grasping the concept of bisexuality, pansexuality, grey sexuality, or any other combination that would mean that I can be attracted to men, women, or Gender nonbinary beings. They really need to get over their selves.

I told you I was a mess. I still am, in a lot of ways. I'm sleeping better, at least. So is Sue. We've given up trying to sleep alone about the time she wrote you last. It just doesn't help—too many bad memories. Of course, the fact she doesn't have her own room makes all sorts of rumors circulate. Not that I actually care. There is at least a little truth because we have a kid together. Okay, there’s a lot of truth to their speculation. You saw my earlier comments, but we are taking things slowly.

I can't wait to see you. I am so looking forward to a few days together. Although I've already received two emails from my sister regarding wedding planning. She sent us a website. We are being forced to choose a color scheme before December 5. Sue and I sent in our suggestions, but you need to agree. I'm also like 99% sure she's going to try to get Jim or Spock to offer rapid messaging privileges just for wedding planning. I hope both will say no, but I think Sue’s mom likes her and might overrule them.

Do you think she'll kill me if I suggest we just do a Risa wedding? I don't want a Risa wedding but something small with just us and the kids. Maybe our friends and family. Our real friends, not the fake ones. No fake ones are allowed. I might have to invite some of the fencing kids. They're very protective. I guess we'll figure it out eventually.

Check my suggestions on the website. Make your own. Okay, maybe I should talk Jim into letting you have rapid messaging for us to work things out. I’m starting to realize planning a wedding from deep in space might be a little difficult.

We’re going to have so much to talk about. I don’t even know how much time we will get to spend with each other. I’ll probably get to spend more time with you and the kids than Jim and Spock because I can take some vacation time, and they can’t. Although I just have this feeling that Sue’s mom is planning something. I just feel it.

Anyway, I love you and the babies—hugs and kisses from all of us. We will see you soon.

To be continued…

Chapter 119: Day 285: I hate the Kobayashi Maru.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. I'm so grateful for all your encouragement. You keep me in a happy writing place. Which is always a good thing.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: Kevin KR
Time arrived: 12/03/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I'm not that upset that you couldn't recall.

In this case, I'm not upset that you couldn't recall your original message. Weirdly it's comforting knowing what was going on at the time of Sue's rescue even though you didn't know that was what was going on at the time. I'm also thankful for the sacrifices you Enterprise kids made so that my sister could be rescued. Being confined must have been really scary but just remember it was for a good cause. So tell all the kids thank you from me. I appreciate it.

Yes, Jim did send me multiple rapid messages. Rather, he sent them to Kevin, who broke the news to me gently or as gently as he could when I was already a crying mess. Mom told me about the kidnapping just a little before we got the rapid message. There was a lot of kissing and crying. I broke a few things, although that mostly happened when I found out about the initial kidnapping. My new PADD is 1000 times better than what I had before. Also, the lamp I broke was hideous anyway. So something good came out of all this craziness.

I'm just happy that Sue is safe now and far away from the drama of the Hamilton. I think being on Enterprise with all of you kids will be good for her for a little bit. I have to ask, how is she really doing? I trust you not to sugarcoat things.

In my years of experience, I've learned the importance of cutting out toxic family members that will just bring you down. I have an aunt from my birth mom who I haven't spoken to since before Tarsus. She didn't want anything to do with me after everything that happened until she found out I came with a very hefty trust fund because of the settlement. Whoever says our society has moved beyond money is lying through their fucking teeth. It's better than it used to be. There's no homelessness or food insecurity. We actually have universal healthcare. Poverty is almost nonexistent, but greed will always be with us.

That's also evident with the latest Kirk tell-all book circulating. I hope you're not able to download a copy wherever you are. Kevin said nothing in it is remotely accurate. They also refer to him as Kyle, the interloper, and pretender Kirk. He's trying to decide if they use the wrong name on purpose to make it harder for him to sue them for defamation or if they’re just incompetent. Your aunt still thinks she can take them down. I like her.

I apologize for that tangent. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is sometimes we can choose our own family, and they're better for us than family of blood. You have your new family with your Uncle Jim and Mommy Nyota. Although I am not 100% sure, you're going to consider Peter to be your cousin. But you're barely 13, and you should probably stick to the safety crushes. Pav was definitely a safety crush.

Don't be upset about the Judge. Maybe it's for the best to cut him out, especially if he can't respect who you are now. You don't need him. You have us because we are your family now. I'm always going to be there for you, no matter what.

So now I want all the juicy gossip from Enterprise. Again I want a sister update. Last I heard, Sue is sticking around until we meet on New Vulcan. Have you had an opportunity to hang out with her at all? She's kind of cool, sometimes. Other times she's the ridiculous overprotective big sister. Also, how are things with her and Gina? Last I heard, it's a little complicated.

How are relations with the other kids? Did being stuck in a confined space for several days make things better or worse? Is Peter still making friends?

I probably should apologize at this point for being a little late with this. I've been crashing on my Kobayashi Maru project because my brother-in-law just had to make them rethink the whole process. I turned my paper over to your grandmother about an hour ago. I am so happy about that. My mom wanted to proofread the thing. Probably to make sure I didn't put any family secrets in there or anything really classified, but I said no. Instead, I just let Kevin take care of that. He is the best proofreader.

I considered sending it to Ben because he now has a security clearance, but his husband died during that battle. I think it would be a bit much for him to read through all of that. I also considered Admiral Pike and Winona, but Jim and Chris were heavily involved. It might be hard for both to read. Also, Winona warned me that pregnancy hormones have done a number on Admiral Pike. We are just going to do everything possible to not make her cry.

I'm actually taking my Kobayashi Maru in two days. I'm the second one up. Mom requested that I go early because I'm escorting her on her official travel to New Vulcan. I understand the necessity of me going early, but I could've gone in the 10th spot and still would've got through the tests before we had to leave. I'm just glad Loki is going first.

Yes, I have a classmate named Loki. She is definitely a Loki, pre-heel face turn. Half the class calls her the princess of lies. I had no idea how Loki did today because I'm not allowed that information until after I'm done. Although going second means that I'm allowed to watch everyone else's test until I leave.

I'm so stressed out. I barely finalized my crew by the deadline. I have a few friends on my team. However, most are either required to be a crewmember for credit or those who volunteered to help Kobayashi Maru candidates. Your mom was one of those volunteers. That's how she ended up on Jim's crew the third time he took the test. They definitely were not friends back then. But obviously, they're good friends now.

Because I'm the second person in my class scheduled for the test, I'm allowed one planning meeting/run-through. Unfortunately, it couldn't happen until tonight. Kevin is baking cookies. Mom was supposed to take care of Desi, but she has to work. Ben is doing family stuff with Zoe and her mom. I don't think I'm ready to send D along for that. I guess I'm going to be doing the run-through with a kid. It will add an extra element. I might have to put her in the baby carrier and keep her with me during the practice session. That's not going to go over well. The older she gets, the more fussy Desi is about the baby sling. It's still common for babies her age, so I don’t know why she complains so much about it.

Anyway, write back when you're able to. I hoped that we would get your response before leaving so we can get you more goodies but probably not. I think we might be departing even earlier than I thought because mom might need to make another stop before New Vulcan. Because it's official Starfleet sanction travel, I get to finish up on the ship. Fun.

I should get used to it because half my classes are going to be distance-learning next semester. The other part is going to be my second internship. Although I don't know what Starfleet department I will be officially interning in at Yorktown. I think mom is letting people bid on me.

Of course, I am bringing snacks. At a minimum, we need to fatten Sue up. Also, I may have been really depressed after Halloween, and purchased way too much half-price candy. It was a stressful time, but I'm working on it. I'm just going to focus on getting ready for the Kobayashi Maru and my finals.

As well as packing up for my semester on Yorktown. Have you already heard about that? Beyond what I said earlier in this letter? If not, you are probably really confused at this point.

Basically, with everything going on, I need a little break. It doesn't hurt to have more non Academy experience before graduating. Especially when your mom is the head of Starfleet. You want people to know you got your job because of your own skills and not your last name.

I thought about taking Kevin's name early, but Kirk seems like an even worse name in Starfleet to have right now. Neither one of us want to go back to our pre-Tarsus last names. We both associate too much dark energy with those names. In all honestly, we're not that person anymore. See, Kevin and I do understand why you changed your name. Maybe the hyphenated version of our last name can have less baggage. We can be the Kirk-Chens and therefore judged by our own merits. One could hope.

Anyway, do well in your classes, hug my sister for me, and send more pictures. We love pictures.

XXXX
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Elizabeth_Chen
cc: Kevin KR
time sent: 12/03/2260 12:49:31
Subject: I'm sure you did great on the Kobayashi Maru
I have sent more pictures. A lot of them are of your sister. She started tagging along to the fencing club now that she's cleared for light activity. Although dad doesn't consider fencing light activity, he is too afraid to say no. I had no idea your sister could fence. They are outstanding together. A little scary but we're learning a lot. (Although Ashley 3 says they are 30 seconds from making out.)

With the email system being the way it is, I think we already received pictures from your Kobayashi Maru a few days ago. We're not quite sure who sent them, but we think it might be my grandma. You know actual messages get lost. Although apparently, the gap is getting shorter. You sent your message four days after Ben sent his last to Sulu, but it arrived only two days later.

Do I want to know why Desi was strapped to your chest while taking the Kobayashi Maru? At first, we assumed it was your practice run-through, but Jim said you wouldn't be in full uniform for that. I feel like it was a significant babysitting failure. We all want answers to that. Although Uncle Jim said, it made you look badass and perfect captain material and strongest mom ever. My mom agreed. Sue found it adorable. Although we have so many questions.

Yes, the lockdown was scary, maybe even more so after discovering what was really happening. I'm trying to decide if it was better that I didn't know that we were looking for your sister. If we knew, Gina would not have been there with us. She kept us calm and under control during the whole lockdown. She's so much better than our first teacher.

It's been a month, and she is still upset at Uncle Jim for not telling her the truth. This is weird because it wasn't even Uncle Jim who made that decision. It was Uncle Spock; he's the captain, and what he says goes. OK, technically, they're both captains, but it's Spock's ship, at least on paper. Therefore he gets to make the final call. I don't know why Gina is still annoyed.

Yes, things are weird between Gina and your sister right now. Good news they are on speaking terms again. But obviously, there's some awkwardness there. Because everybody still sees me as a little kid, I'm not being told what's going on. Although I did see Gina reading a copy of the idiot's guide to multi-species Polyamorous relationships during class. So fingers crossed she'll get it.

I'm young but not an idiot. Family comes in all shapes and sizes. It is not my place to make snarky comments about that. Desi has a mommy and daddy and another daddy; that's a good thing. She even has a big sister too. This is great because being an only child sucks. If the miscarriage didn't happen, I would be a big sister right now. Sometimes that thought makes me really sad. But Spock said I can borrow his foster sister. I'm looking forward to getting to see her soon.

I like my new family. They're better than my old family. The only person salvageable from that was my aunt, so I'm bringing her into this new family. She needs it probably more than anyone else.

I am sad that you and Kevin are going to be away from her next semester. I hope she's making other friends in San Francisco. I heard about Chloe in her last letter. I was feeling better before with you and Kevin being around to keep an eye on her. Now she's going to be on her own again. But at least she's far away from the Judge.

I know she’ll take care of the tell-all lawsuit. Jim managed to get a copy of the book. He broke a PADD. Because of that, I am banned from reading it.

The Judge tried to send another message to me, but it went to dad because I'm underage. He also broke his PADD when he was reading. I don't want to know what that email said. I think mom's team has now blocked all messages from him.

You don't have to bring me more goodies. Just getting to see you is going to be enough. Besides, you need to bring your own provisions for your time in Yorktown. I know Kevin is going to need to bring his own secret stash to Discovery.

Classes have been interesting these last few days. We managed to have one of our Vulcan researchers do a guest presentation today. Apparently, she's friends with Gina. They went to the same school in San Francisco when her dad was an ambassador there. I think Sue may have been a classmate as well. Per Spock, many of the Vulcans on board are a little more liberal because most were hiding abroad because they didn't quite fit into traditional Vulcan society. If these are liberal Vulcans, I don't want to know what conservative Vulcans were like pre-implosion. I'm getting the impression that they were really gigantic bigots per Saavik. She gets teased a lot for being part Romulan.

Spock has confirmed this because they did the same to him for being part human. Spock has been telling me and Peter stories about his childhood recently. There's a lot of people I want to punch on his behalf. How could they say such nasty stuff to a little kid just because his mom is human? Fortunately, most of these idiots are dead, and the one that isn't has been dealt with. Although nobody wants to explain to me what happened to him. I really hate being treated like a kid.

My classes are OK. One of the Chrises is a dick but still nowhere near as bad as Jeremy. No one is as bad as Jeremy. He flunked out of military school because, apparently, he killed someone's pet. I'm not surprised. Uncle Jim expects him to be in jail by the time he is 20, if not sooner.

Anyway, I would wish you good luck with your Kobayashi Maru, but I know it's already taken place. I can't wait to know the outcome. Although I'm sure you did well. I can't wait to hear from you.

New Vulcan is going to be fun. I managed to convince Peter to participate in our field trip. He was afraid to at first, but I talked him into it. We will be on New Vulcan by ourselves for two weeks, with our classmates and a chaperone.

I think Spock is a little afraid, but Jim convinced Spock that it's perfectly normal to send your kids in the summer to hang out with their grandparents. Unlike the other students who will be staying at the VSA, we will be with Grandpa Sarek. It is technically summer on New Vulcan. Also, Spock's dad is our good grandparent. Number two is the Admiral. She gives good presents. Winona is getting there, but we don't have the best options. I hope she stays sober. Again, the Judge is an abusive piece of shit and apparently, so is Nyota's father. She doesn't want to talk about him, and I respect that.

Anyway, I can't wait to see you soon.
To be continued…

Chapter 120: Day 287: Elizabeth Chen: Kobayashi Maru slayer

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. You are so absolutely fantastic. Thank you for all your encouraging words.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/5/2260 00:00:01
Subject: You are now only one of two to beat the Kobayashi Maru

I know you probably got some strange pictures a few days ago from Nyota's mom if the Starfleet email servers keep doing their thing. All of you are desperately in need of some context at this point. So I survived the Kobayashi Maru. Even though I'm the second person in my class to take it, I am the 82nd person in all of Starfleet to take the new 'you have one chance in hell of beating this' version. I am the first person to not lose their entire crew and successfully save the ship. In other words, I found the one chance in hell. More importantly, I did it all with a one-and-a-half-year-old strapped to my chest.

So we thought it would be cool for Desi to watch Aunt Liz and Uncle Kevin command a Starship together, even if it's just a simulation. Especially because she was such a good girl during practice. Mom was going to be there, so she would watch Desi during the actual exam. Except mom got pulled into an “emergency meeting” last minute. Which was fine because Ben was coming too, except Ben got delayed by the evil former father-in-law. I'll explain why that happened later.

Nyota's mom offered to watch baby D or take her down to daycare. However, Little Miss Cranky Pants was not having any of it. So what did I do? Strapped my fussy niece to my chest and command a starship during the middle of a crisis.

They'll be a video of it once everybody else has finished, so that might not arrive until Christmas. Unless mom can pull some strings. I can tell you the secret to the new version since you already took the old one. Basically, you need to take the option that looks absolutely nuts and make it work anyway. I like to blame surviving Tarsus for making survival mode my default setting for life. Also, if you survive something like Tarsus, you don't believe in no-win scenarios. That mindset helps.

I probably should mention that the meeting that mom was dragged into was to tell her that she couldn't be at my test. Of course, she didn't know that in time to tell me to get another babysitter. Well, another option than Ben. He would've been there if his first father-in-law wasn't just evil.

That's a long dysfunctional story. I feel like you should be the one to tell Sulu instead of me writing him an email or CCing him on this email. Before coming to the test Ben and baby K had to go to a farewell lunch with the mother-in-law and a bunch of her friends. Said lunch was interrupted by the former father-in-law breaking his restraining order again with a phaser pointed at his soon-to-be ex-wife. He was quickly subdued because this luncheon was hosted at a restaurant with excellent security. This is because it's popular with the ambassadorial set.

Ben and the baby are OK. No one got hurt except for the former father-in-law. Somehow his arm got broken during the fight. Thankfully, the former father-in-law was knocked out before he could do anything stupid. Seriously how does he keep getting out on bail? Despite no one getting hurt, a lot of paperwork had to be filled out. Then there was an emergency meeting with the legal team. Obviously, Ben missed the test. I'm only blaming the former father-in-law for that.

I think Ben is going to write Sulu eventually but maybe not right away. He might even be an idiot and wait for the next letter even though I know he just wrote Sue and Sulu last week. Despite the fact, my mom is giving him rapid messaging privileges. If they don't know, could you please tell Sue and Sulu what happened? Sulu needs to know because it's his fiancée, and I think Sue needs to know that her BFF is fine.

I probably should send a letter to Sue even though I still haven't got her promised letter to baby D yet. You know she's going to want to know I survived the Kobayashi Maru. Not just survived but thrived. You and I are now officially the only two people to have beat the Kobayashi Maru. Kevin joked that once we're married, everybody is going to say that only Kirks pass the test.

Kevin doesn't have to take it for his track. He only has to be an assistant, which he's satisfied this semester by being my First officer. He is annoyed I couldn't have an ambassador during the simulation. Kevin actually made that suggestion to mom during the celebratory dinner. She thinks it's a good idea. It makes sense after what Garber did. She kept the Hamilton situation from being even worse.

Mom also wants Kevin to take the Kobayashi Maru class even though it's not a requirement for his track. I think she wants to confirm the only Kirks can pass the Kobayashi Maru theory. But then, to really prove that, we need Spock and Winona to take it. I don't think Spock could because he designed a good portion of it.

We will see if I'm the only person who manages to beat the thing this time. I think Kristin may do it, but I, unfortunately, won't be there. Her slot is the same day I have to leave for New Vulcan. I hate that I won't get to see it.

I'm not going to be sad about that because that means we will be together as a family soon. We are bringing so many goodies and presents. I can't wait to see everyone—especially my new nephew and my sister. I miss you guys so much.

PS: Let Josephine know that I passed the Kobayashi Maru. In my last letter to her a couple of days ago, I told her I was still prepping. I know she wants to know what happened.

XXXXX
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Mommy_Susan
Time arrived: 12/05/2260 00:00:01
subject: Your sister slayed the Kobayashi Maru
Hey, big sister, guess who successfully beat the Kobayashi Maru? Unlike a certain captain we know, I didn't end up going up against judiciaries. Although in hindsight, it was a great meet-cute. I can't wait to hear how they explain their first meeting to Peter and all their other kids. It's going to be fabulous. Better than the story of me and Kevin meeting on the planet of the damned.

Also, I'm sure you saw the pictures of your daughter being a participant. Mom is going to make her a T-shirt that says 'I survived my first Kobayashi Maru.' She's the youngest participant ever. Baby D was an excellent helper even though it happened by accident. Mom was pulled into a meeting where they essentially told her that she wasn't allowed to be there. It wasn't even the head of Starfleet Academy, a.k.a. Nyota's mom who made the decision but some higher-ups, which is just annoying.

Despite being in charge of Starfleet, mom still has bosses, and they don't want the appearance of special treatment for either of us. Although I feel like their definition of special treatment is us being treated like everybody else. When Kristin gets to do her simulation, they're going to allow Carol to stream it from London. If she was actually in San Francisco, she would be allowed to watch in person. That's not fair, but whatever. I did arrange for you guys to get a video of it as soon everybody from this cycle gets through the simulation. Which will probably mean we will be on New Vulcan by that time.

Ben was also supposed to be there, but his ex-father-in-law crashed the lunch. Ask Jim for details. I'm not typing all of that stuff out again. Especially 'cause your kid is cranky and extra hyper. Grandma gave her cake to celebrate my beating the test. I should make grandma watch her tonight.

Anyway, I love and miss you. I can't wait to see you soon.

XXXX
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: Elizabeth_Chen
Time arrived: 12/5/2260 23:02:01
Subject: Kirks are better at everything, and you are a Kirk

Congratulations, I'm perfectly OK with it becoming school legend that only Kirks pass the Kobayashi Maru. Kevin should take the class just to prove the theory. I also believe Winona could beat it. Technically, Spock actually did beat the Kobayashi Maru during the testing phase. Which is why they went back and made it even harder. So that version might be the one they went back to now that they're giving everybody a chance in hell of passing. Although Spock’s victory doesn't count towards the official number. I do believe he does count towards the only Kirks can beat the Kobayashi Maru statistic.

You'll have that last name soon enough, just like Spock. Or are you going to hyphenate when you get married? Sue may have spilled the content of a particular letter to Sulu. I would say hyphenate, although I really shouldn't have the way Vulcan naming conventions are, or I should have taken Grayson. I may still do that. James Tiberius Kirk-Grayson-Spock sounds interesting. Although Grayson might be on Spock's baby name wish list.

Yes, he has a list. He says it's for Nhi, but I don't believe him. It's OK. We will have more kids eventually, by some means, once we're done with Starfleet. Raising Peter is enough for now. Besides, we are on Spock's Clock, not mine, because I no longer have a clock. Vulcans have kids into the mid 100s. I'm hoping to talk Spock into having kids no later than his mid-50s. I can deal with that.

I was wondering why baby D was with you during the Kobayashi Maru. I knew it wasn't your practice run because you were wearing your uniform instead of street clothes. The video was also spectacular. Your mom sent it to us, or rather Spock. Because he's still the developer of record for the current version, he's allowed to see videos of students going through the test before the cycle finishes. Your mom loves loophole abuse.

Although the video did contain a short note that Spock could only show it to me, your sister, and Sulu. Apparently, it still close hold at the moment. Testing is still going on for at least another two weeks. Also, I heard there is a new section where you have to go through the videos and critique what went wrong afterward. Did you have to do that even though you didn't kill your entire crew, or are you allowed to skip that?

I know you're annoyed that they didn't want your mom there. But if you had succeeded like you did and your mom was there, many people would have blamed it on her presence. Which wouldn't have been fair to you. Also, they would have tried to bring you up against judiciaries. Actually, from the background sounds of your video, Loki wanted to anyway. She was angry, but Nyota's mom put her in her place.

Instead, you beat the test with a year and ½-year-old strapped to your chest entirely on your own merits. I saw that you tried to have Kevin watch her first, but she was just extra cranky. Therefore you switched right before the start of the exam. Yes, that made the video.

Also, I enjoyed you and Kevin kissing after you successfully save the crew. That's going to be my new lock screen. You two are so cute despite Loki's angry comments. Keep an eye on that girl.

Again Kevin should definitely do the Maru course. This time you should be his first officer. After what happened with Ambassador Garber, I think it should be a requirement for Communications/dip track graduates. I doubt she was the first ambassador that found herself in charge of a starship during a crisis.

I'm glad things are going good for you, school-wise. I want to know the results of the essay portion of the tests. By the time you actually get this letter, I'm sure you got your grades back by then. I bet you did spectacularly, or they're going to try to bury the existence of the report. It can go one of two ways in this family, and you are definitely a member of this family. A marriage license means very little.

Thank you for writing to your sister because she was the one who told Sulu. After I gave her the details. All bad news is better coming from her. They're going to write Ben, but they are giving him until midnight to write a response, and then they are sending a rapid message. I authorized it because almost getting shot at lunch definitely falls in the “should be notified immediately” category.

However, I've been instructed to give you their congratulations. They're planning some sort of celebration for when we meet up. Josephine is making the banner. Also, as a thank you for your excellent childcare. You have totally embraced parenthood, even if it's just been temporary.

Work is going well at the moment. They sent us Vulcan Science Academy members that I don't want to punch out. Better yet, Spock doesn't want to punch these people out. It can be hit or miss sometimes. Did I tell you what happened last time Enterprise was stationed on the colony? Spock got kidnapped and lied to me about it. At that point in our relationship, he was trying to hide that we accidentally got married, Vulcan style. As well as the fact he wasn't actually dating Nyota. We had some communications issues during the early part of our marriage, mostly before I was aware we were even married.

That is definitely something I do not want to deal with again, but I've been told everybody has been vetted. Also, nobody is near that time of the cycle. I can't tell you what that phrase means, but thankfully Peter is old enough to take care of himself if Spock's biological Clock goes off early. Vulcan biological clocks can be awesome.

Anyway, we are all looking forward to seeing you on New Vulcan. Spock and I will be planetside for a week doing various meetings with various dignitaries and some actual leave time.

Unfortunately, we have to leave Nyota behind to be in charge because we lost Scotty to the Hamilton. She's OK with staying behind with Leonard to be the responsible adult because this way, she won't have to participate in a Starfleet dog and pony show in New Vulcan summer heat. Although I am fully in charge of her child.

However, in three days, my father-in-law and foster sister-in-law are coming to this ship for a few days. On paper, it’s supposed to be an inspection of the VSA members on board. In reality, it is a chance for Spock to show off to his daddy.

I can read my husband's thoughts, and I'm picking up a mixture of nervousness and nausea. Although that's my husband's general mix of emotions, now that we are close to New Vulcan. Things did not go very well two years ago.

The father-in-law is also going to take the kids on a bit of a New Vulcan field trip. They're going to get to spend at least two weeks on the planet, not just my child but all of the Enterprise minors and the science track interns. Gina is going to be going along with one or two other officers. I might be sending Chekov because I think he would love to spend quality time at the Science Academy. Most of the kids will be staying in the dorms, but Peter and Josephine will be staying with grandpa.

I think this field trip was arranged because Saavik is very lonely. Vulcan kids are bigots, and she's half Romulan. They are extra nasty to her. Her bimonthly video calls to the ship that she really shouldn't be doing are the one time she's really happy, by Vulcan standards anyway.

I can understand why the kids are angry. A Romulan blew up their home planet. A lot of them lost family because of what happened. But Saavik is just a little girl. It's not her fault that she just happens to be the same species as the guy who blew up the planet. She had nothing to do with it. So I'm hoping some time with the kids will be good for her. Also, I'm looking forward to a week without teenagers or science track interns. Only Chris three is a brat, but I miss quality husband time.

It's not Peter cutting down on quality husband time but the other kids and the damn interns. I wish I could send all the interns to New Vulcan for two weeks, but I don't think your mom would authorize it. I'm still shocked I was allowed to send all the science track interns. But apparently, a cultural exchange is a good thing in this regard.

I can't wait to send them back to the Academy in January, some of them anyway. Half are actually staying through May because, if you start the Academy at 14, it might be useful for you to spend a little bit more time on a ship before graduation. Which, in theory, is a good idea if it wasn't my ship. Spock is just as annoyed with it at this point. We got interrupted during sex by another attempt to steal Vulcan headache medication from botany. Tell your mom we need to have a meeting. Spock and I are not dealing with the baby interns again.

Anyway, we look forward to seeing you very soon. I need to congratulate you in person.

PS: Bring chocolate, lots of chocolate. Spock is going to be around his dad. He's gonna need to be a little drunk just to handle it. I think a steady supply of chocolate chip cookies will be enough. Margarita might be a little upset about that, but it's a complicated relationship. Now grandkids are involved.

Chapter 121: Day 288: We Deserved At Least An Email.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read and reviewed the last conversation. All of you are absolutely fabulous.

Please note that we are getting into another period where we’re probably going to be having emails or diary entries every day. It’s been a while since we’ve had any diary entries. But we will soon, especially with the kids going to New Vulcan for two weeks with limited supervision. But I’m going to take advantage of getting to look inside of Peter’s head for a while.

The last string of rapid messages got the sequence of emails all out of whack to the point where I had to write to explain why some responses were arriving too late. We are now starting to catch up, which is why we’re going to be getting emails very quickly. Also, being near the New Vulcan system means that communications abilities have improved. The first thing those Vulcans did was rebuild the communications network. They made it jam-proof because there are just some things you want to avoid happening a second time.

Chapter Text

December 6, 2060

Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu
Subject: Having someone point a phaser at you requires a rapid message or at least an email

We decided to give you until one minute after midnight tonight before we sent off this rapid email. We received Liz’s email about her successful mastery of the Kobayashi Maru yesterday. We also managed to finally get the video. We got still pictures 4 days beforehand. However, nothing from you. Your former father-in-law pointing a phaser at all of you at a restaurant warrants a rapid message or even a regular email. You tell us about these sorts of things.

Is he in jail? Please tell me he’s in jail, or more importantly, are you already off-planet? We think the messages are getting to us about 14 days after the fact now. At least that’s what we’ve been able to calculate. Unfortunately, we could not get the Admiral’s itinerary since it’s close hold, so we don’t know if you’ve left yet.

Also, the Kobayashi Maru's actual dates this year are close hold since it’s the first class taking the new simulation with a genuine chance of winning. So, they want everyone to get through it. I’m still surprised we got the video so fast. Liz didn’t think it would arrive yet. Although that is because my captain designed the exam, and my daughter’s grandmother loves a good loophole.

Liz says you’re OK, or at least that’s what she told Sue. However, I would really like to hear it from you because I know this is a mess, and I am worried. I’m more anxious now than I’ve ever been for your safety.

Do you know why Jim and Spock have custody of his nephew on a Starship? It’s because Peter’s maternal grandfather killed his aunt for being a lesbian. So even struggling alcoholic Winona is preferable. Although Liz and Kevin are still ahead of her. Even though Kevin is barely no longer a teenager. Although we completely trust him with our child, so there is that.

This is Sue dictating now. I’m taking over from your fiancé to yell at you. We are worried about you. Remember, I was there for a lot of the early stuff. Apparently, there are things you didn’t tell your boyfriend about. He wasn’t happy to hear it from me. I understand why that happened because some of it’s hard to put into writing. Also, you’re lucky with the lag in communications if you get to email each other once a month. It’s not like we’re allowed to use rapid messaging all the time. (mom’s new policy after the vengeance fuck up.) Although I am going to work on getting rapid messaging privileges for wedding planning.

That’s still on. Hikaru is worried. He loves you, but he’s scared. Hikaru almost lost me a little more than a month ago, and things are still fresh. I haven’t even gained all the weight back from my captivity yet. I’m trying, but replicator food is hard to stomach when you have no desire to eat at all. I hope you guys brought lots of snacks. My stash on the Hamilton was already gone before my kidnapping. I went through the chocolate quick for obvious reasons. Although Enterprise does seem to have an endless and bountiful supply of delicious brownies. Eggless brownies but still Brownies. They are much appreciated.

After this stunt, you owe us a hell of a lot of chocolate. Don’t freak us out like this. We can’t handle the stress.
XXXX
Starfleet priority message from Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu to Lieutenant Commander Sulu
subject: Sorry, I am an idiot.
Your guess is right. There’s about a two-week lag between emails.
Sue, your sister, smacked me upside the head for letting her be the one to tell you what happened. I may have also been smacked upside the head by your mother, who did authorize me to send a rapid message. I won’t repeat what Wynona did. But I didn’t. I didn’t think it was necessary because nobody was hurt.

Security apprehended the idiot before shots were fired. I believe that the restaurant has a phaser jammer because restaurants in San Francisco are concerned about that sort of thing. Especially in the diplomatic zone. So we weren’t really in danger.

Yes, he was arrested again. This time he can’t make bail. Shawn and the team are trying to figure out who keeps paying for him. I don’t care, really I don’t. But the lawyers are concerned. He shouldn’t have access to the funds required to secure his freedom. Yet somehow, he does.

Because of what happened, we left early on the first. The Admiral is just going to make another surprise visit on the way. I can’t tell you what ships she’s inspecting for security reasons. Although they’re on the Lieutenant Sulu shit list. I feel like I may have accidentally got drafted into a mission to uncover corruption in Starfleet. Surprisingly, I’m OK with it.

I was going to tell you both when I get your next regular message which hasn’t happened yet. Although Liz did get the letter that Sue wrote to Desi. We kind of all cried a little bit. Sorry, Liz shared it with me. She did write you back, and that’s when I did send my note. I have no idea when you’re going to get that. Although if messages are speeding up, I think within a week.

I am glad no weddings were called off due to my stupidity. I do apologize, and I should have taken your mother up on her offer. I promise both of you that I will do this from now on. I just hope there are no more emergencies.

I just didn’t want to give you and Sue another thing to worry about. I know that you’ve still been dealing with the fallout from the kidnapping. What happened at the restaurant wasn’t that traumatic. It wasn’t me being kidnapped. It wasn’t watching your entire family getting killed during a genocide. It was just more family bullshit, and we’re not even on earth anymore.

PS: Sue, your mom, was worried about you not eating and has brought two boxes filled with all your favorite foods. I don’t think most of it is Starfleet sanctioned. Most of it is alcohol, but who’s going to argue with the head of Starfleet bringing that much booze with her. Or toys. She brought a lot of toys. I didn’t know they still made that many Lego sets. Especially that many that are Starfleet related. Did you know that there was a Lego Enterprise?
XXXX
Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu
Subject: Your trauma doesn’t have to be severe to be valid.
Traumatic experiences are traumatic experiences. There’s no point in diminishing your experiences by comparing them to the trauma of someone else. There’s no prize for being the most fucked up. We can’t do this in this family. We’ve had multiple kidnappings, several near-death experiences, and actual death experiences.

Were you ever told what happened to Jim during the Vengeance fiasco? Ask Kevin because this is not secure enough for that conversation. So much happened.

If this is going to work, we have to tell each other stuff. We are here for you, and we’re always open to listening. I don’t want there to be secrets between us. Sue definitely doesn’t like secrets.

I’m glad to know that you did tell us eventually, even if not right away, and we will probably get that letter in a week, but it’s good to know that it’s coming. So, you will not be sleeping on the couch the entire time we are on New Vulcan. Lucky you. Sue is still contemplating it, but I’ll overrule her.

This is Sue again. What Hikaru just typed was a lie. I’m the one who had to talk him into taking you off the couch. Do not let my mom talk your sister-in-law into joining Starfleet just to get away from her abusive father.

Spock pulled some strings and has passed your sister-in-law's CV to his father. He would wait for your permission, but I would like to get my kind of stepdaughter’s biological mother far away from that abusive piece of shit after what happened. So I asked him to do it. If she’s upset about it well, I decided this was a situation where asking for forgiveness works better. I will repay her annoyance with good alcohol and Vulcan headache medication Blondies. Alcohol and pot are plentiful on New Vulcan but no chocolate. I’m so glad you’re bringing me chocolate.

We will see you soon. But we expect some groveling—both of us. We need no more stress.
xxx
Starfleet priority message from Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu to Lieutenant Commander Sulu
subject: Rapid messages work better on Starfleet vessels
I’m surprised that the reply showed up on the same calendar day. I guess it’s crucial to receive rapid messages on Starfleet ships quickly. You’re getting them for a reason.

Zoe is fine with you passing her CV to Spock’s father. Although please update her last name to Lin. Yes, your mom is trying to get her to join Starfleet. She’s too much of a pacifist for that. Winona is running interference. The position at the Vulcan Science Academy seems intriguing. However, she would still like to try a Vulcan headache medication Blondie. After what her dad put her through, she definitely deserves one. We all do.

PS: Liz booked a top-secret conference room to tell me what actually happened to Jim. The Admiral made me sign a new NDA. Kevin broke a chair, and Winona offered to watch the kids because she couldn’t relive that. I’m still processing, but I think Carol’s father was a Dick.
To be continued…

Chapter 122: Day 290: Grandpa Day

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so absolutely fabulous. Welcome back to the New Vulcan system. We hope our time in the New Vulcan system will go better than last time around. Fingers crossed for no kidnapping this time. We’ve had enough kidnapping for one year.

I actually had to re-read through all the Vulcan chapters in the original story. That made me realize I did not remember my own continuity, and I made a really big boo-boo. I forgot that I gave the Pikes a child before the twins. Whoops! It was such a throwaway line that nobody else remembered, and nobody pointed it out to me. So, I ended up deleting that from all the places I still post for the sake of continuity. There might be a Live Journal version out there somewhere with the original line. I don’t even go near my life journal account anymore. Not since it’s been taken over by Russia. I should probably delete it, but I don’t even remember my password anymore. It might be saved somewhere.

So, in the new canon the twins are Chris and Nhi’s only children. I like this version better because it makes the events of Into Darkness hurt less. Which may have been why I totally forgot I gave them kids. The first story was written before Into Darkness even came out. The second story recontextualizes Into Darkness to make it better. This story may or may not be feeding into Star Trek Beyond. We will see if we ever get a fourth movie in this timeline or a TV series. (Although since I originally dictated this sentence, there’s been movement on a new movie script.) I personally want a Paramount plus Captain Sulu series. It would be awesome. (The initial draft chapter was sitting on my hard drive so long that it originally said CBS all access. They didn’t even have Paramount plus announced yet.)

We will get some diary entries finally, including from Peter in this chapter. This is a reminder that you don’t get to see everything, only the conversations moving the plot forward; otherwise, the story would probably end up around a good 500,000 words plus. My current record for longest story is the original version of Scenes From Freshman Year at 360,000 words. If I didn’t break the rewrite into two separate stories, it probably would hit the 500,000-wordmark. The rewrite will be significantly longer, which is why I decided to divide it into two stories.
This story is already at 225509 on AO3 words before adding this chapter. So, this could beat the original Scenes from Freshman Year. But, we have at least 75 more days to cover and a wedding. I am also considering going until the wedding because I want to cover Kevin’s time on Discovery and life in Yorktown. The other option is skipping to the wedding by doing some sort of Time jumping. We’ll see.

Chapter Text

Excerpts from the therapy Journal of Peter S. Kirk
December 8
Dear Journal (or Dr. Margarita):
This morning is weird. Today’s the day that I am supposed to be meeting Spock’s dad, or as Josephine puts it, my good grandfather. At least in person. We have met on various holo calls. Despite the Vulcan exterior, he seems nicer than my other grandfather. Of course, it wouldn’t be that hard, considering the man murdered my aunt.

Spock is nervous. Uncle Jim says that he has a really complicated relationship with his father. They didn’t speak to each other for a decade before his mom’s death. They have a better relationship now. They call each other a lot even though they probably shouldn’t. Uncle Jim says that grandpa uses his ambassadorial privilege to keep an eye on his son because he cares. He thinks it’s cute. Uncle Spock had a cookie. Apparently, he needs low doses of chocolate to be near his father for long periods. Yet this is still preferable to my mom’s family. People care here; they’re just really bad at showing it.

I’m so excited to get to hang out with Saavik. She’s so cool. Plus, she totally understands my current family situation. It’s weird for her to live with the ambassador. She doesn’t think she’ll ever think of him as her dad, although she is cool with thinking of me as her cousin. Even though nephew might be more accurate because her foster brother is sort of my dad.

Sometimes I do think of Jim and Spock as my dads. It’s a weird concept because I never had a dad. I knew about Sam. His name is my middle name. I always knew about him, but I didn’t know a lot about him because mom didn’t want to talk about him. I think she was still bitter about him going to Tarsus and leaving her behind. But I think she always thought that when he came back, they would be able to pick things up right where they left off. I think that’s part of the reason why she never told him about me while he was there before everything blew up. Then they couldn’t receive mail anymore anyway. But things did blow up, and he never came home.

I’m aware mom didn’t tell any of the family about me. She tried, but Nana Winona already relocated to San Francisco at that point. Although I don’t know why she didn’t at least send a letter. It would’ve been so much easier if they knew about me before she died because now I’m getting used to this entire new family on my own.

Don’t get me wrong, I like this family. I adore Josephine. I like most of the Enterprise crew. There are some idiots, but obviously, we’re better than other ships like the Hamilton. Uncle Jim said some interesting things about that ship that mostly involve curse words. They were confirmed by Sue.

I adore Liz’s sister. She is cool and, unlike my mom, has decided to take a much safer job after a near-death experience. The incident that killed my mom was preceded by three near-death experiences. Yet, she never left. She couldn’t stay on earth because of what happened with grandpa, so we were on Devon. She died, and now I live with my uncle and his husband on a starship.

At least I got a cool cousin out of it. I will get to be on Vulcan for three weeks, so we can hang out. Although I know there’s actually going to be some school stuff there. At least for the first two weeks.

It’s going to be weird being away from Jim and Spock. They’ve always been around outside of the occasional away mission. I really don’t like those away missions. Now I am the one going on a mission, but Saavik really wants me there. She doesn’t have a lot of friends at her learning pod. Apparently, my job is to convince grandpa that she should do full-time homeschooling.

As someone who did full-time homeschooling until Enterprise, I feel like it is slightly overrated. I hate Chris 3 with a fiery passion, but I like everyone else and don’t want to go back. Although I’ve been told that the Ashleys are better now than what they were in February. I know Josephine blames Jeremy for that. This is not surprising; I heard the guy killed a puppy. That is not something a good person does.

XXXX
Dear Spock
Hey sweetie. I probably shouldn’t be giving you chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, but your dad will be here in two hours. I feel like you need to be a little mellow. Besides, only one pancake is chocolate. The other two are blueberry. I know you adore blueberries. Just remember to use the mouthwash before you kiss me. I’m not allergic to blueberries yet but let’s not take any chances at the moment. Because I totally would have an allergic reaction before your dad showed up. That seems on brand and very reminiscent of my first dinner with him. You know, before we realized we were totally married to each other, Vulcan style.
Before I knew anyway. I think you may have, but we were still in heavy denial at the time.

I know you’re nervous, sweetie, but I’ll be OK. First, you’re bringing him a grandkid, and that makes parents super happy. He already adores Peter. You know how many gifts we’ve already got from him. I’m sure he’ll be bringing more.

Second, you and your dad have talked a lot more than you probably have at any other time. A lot of it is work stuff, but you talk actually more than Winona and me. Not all of that is because of misuse of ambassadorial privilege. I’m still waiting for mom’s reply to my last letter. Although it might be another week because the servers are still weird.

You have nothing to worry about. You are a successful Starfleet Captain. Your crew adores you, even if I’m still getting snarky comments about myself from a few. Starfleet adores you and not just because the head of Starfleet’s daughter is dating my brother a.k.a. your brother-in-law. You’ve also been doing wonderful with the VSA team. We are already five days ahead of schedule. The whole team is doing great with the assignment, including the new head of the science department, Dr. Morales.

I feel like this assignment will go so much better than our last new Vulcan Assignment. It helps that most of us won’t have to actually be on the planet. Fingers crossed nobody gets kidnapped, especially our kids.

Are you still worried about the kids going to New Vulcan? Which I do get because I’m a little apprehensive for Peter to be away from us for the very first time. However, Gina will be there along with Pav. Nyota will also be on the planet even though she will be working at the VSA on a project. Even though she won’t be with them during the class portion, she will be there at night to make sure they don’t do anything stupid like consume Vulcan headache Blondies.

Honestly, I really wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley three or one ended up doing a bunch of Blondies. Did you experiment when you were a teenager? I just realized one of our chaperones is barely not a teenager. Why are we sending him? Other than Sue deciding to stay with her baby’s daddy.

.xxx
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time sent: 12/08/2260 10:32:01
Subject: I am not nervous about my father’s stay on Enterprise

I believe it was pure scientific curiosity on my part. I wanted to know how certain substances react with my nonstandard biology. It was important that I discovered that I am still susceptible to both human and Vulcan intoxicants. Although not at the same levels as baseline Vulcans or humans.

If you remember correctly, Ensign Chekov’s girlfriend is also one of the chaperones. He prefers that she not be there alone after what happened last time we were on the planet. She is there because we wanted one member of our medical team on the planet. Since her child is there, we felt she would be the best option. You mentioned that parental chaperoning is an earth tradition that we should maintain.

Nyota is going now because she will be in charge of Enterprise while we are on the planet for our extended stay. Despite the fact, this means that Nyota will not get to spend Christmas with her daughter. However, Nyota finds this acceptable because she’s planning to inundate her with presents later. Apparently, arrangements were made to bring all sorts of “goodies” to the children.

I am not nervous about my father’s presence. Our relationship is significantly more cordial than it was during my adolescence. I expect that his time on Enterprise will be well spent. Besides, he will only be with us for 3.2 days.

I will acknowledge that I am apprehensive about Peter staying on New Vulcan for 13 days without us. Especially because, unlike the other children, he will be staying with my father. That may have been why I asked Nyota to accept the temporary assignment at the VSA. She will be staying at my father’s home as well. I believe Gina, the doctor, and Ensign Chekov will be able to supervise the rest of the minors in the program adequately. The science interns should be able to take care of themselves.
XXXX
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

To: Jim’s_cuddlebear

Time sent: 12/08/2260 13:32:01
Subject: You are so nervous.

You know it’s really hard to lie to your husband. Especially because I can feel your emotions. I’m starting to easily pick up on fucking terrified and nauseous anxiety. You hide it well with your cocked eyebrows and calm demeanor, but Spock bear, I know better.

Even if I couldn’t pick up on your thoughts through the bond, I would still know. You are making your BFF, with whom you have a Vulcan family mental bond stay with your father. Just so she can keep an eye on both her daughter and our son. I know you’re worried he’s going to screw up our kid as bad as he screwed you up.

That’s not going to happen. First of all, sweetie pie, you’re not that screwed up. That’s not to say that you don’t have issues. The universe knows that you’re going to be seeing Dr. Margarita for a very long time. That means nothing in this family because we are all in therapy. A good portion of the ship is. It’s why we have two therapists. Dr. Reyes is already booked solid along with Doctor Margarita.

Although I think Sue is responsible for half of Doctor Reyes’ extreme schedule. It will take Sue a while to work through all the Hamilton bullshit and acknowledging that she kind of does have a relationship with her baby’s daddy. Whatever that might be, we do not speculate. They’ll tell us when they tell us.

The other thing is I think your father is aware that he made mistakes with you and your brother. So he’s trying hard not to repeat those.

Lunch with your father went well. He didn’t try to feed me anything I was allergic to. Although it helps, we were in charge of the menu selection on our side. I guess I should be more worried about us causing him to have an allergic reaction. Thankfully that did not happen. I think you would like to avoid a diplomatic incident with New Vulcan, especially when it involves your father.

As suspected, he did bring tons of presents for the kids. Not just JoJo and Peter, but he brought things for the others. Although they were mostly educational presents. I’m sure at least one of the Ashleys was disappointed that she didn’t get a gift pack of Vulcan headache Blondies. The chaperones are going to have to watch those kids. I’m counting the interns as kids. Honestly, they’re worse than the Ashleys during the Jeremy phase.

I don’t know how I feel about giving our 12-year-old a weapon. Granted, it’s a weapon in pet form, but it’s still a weapon. I’m glad your father went with a robot companion sehlat and not a real one. I feel like Admiral Nana would have allowed it on board as an emotional support animal. The universe knows that kid needs all the emotional support he can get. But those things are big and scary. And I feel like Peter is going to train them to growl at Chris 3 on site.

Considering the alternative, I am not going to take the robot sehlat away. Peter hugged the sehlat the entire lunch. I wonder what Peter is going to name them.
Xxx
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear

To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny

Time sent: 12/08/2260 17:24:01
I think my father went with the electronic version because the species is endangered at the moment. The colony does have a sanctuary for sehlat that have been relocated to the colony from various parts of the galaxy. The conservation team is working on rebuilding the sehlat population. However, it will be at least a decade before every child will have a pet sehlat again. This is probably why the robot version has become quite popular.

I feel that it will be advantageous for Peter to actually have a pet to take care of. It will allow him to become a more responsible individual. In addition, Peter has already named his sehlat Annie, therefore designating a female gender to his pet.

I was more shocked that my father praises my parenting skills. Sarek is actually pleased that Peter is so well-adjusted despite how he came into our lives. He even asked me for parenting advice. Saavik is having trouble acclimating to the colony. Saavik has yet to make any friends. My father is concerned and actually willing to let her do homeschooling with a tutor. Apparently, Sarek wants to avoid the mistakes of my childhood. I’m unsure of how I feel about this.

XXXX
Dear Spock:
I opted to hand write this reply to your email. You know I love to write you cute little letters. Unfortunately, the art of love letter writing is so lost.

They say the first kid you make all the mistakes with. In your case, you were the second child, and mistakes were still made. Although you did end up significantly more well-adjusted than your half-brother by all accounts. I actually suggested that your father go back into being an active ambassador. It honestly might be better for Saavik. She might encounter less prejudice on other planets, especially if she’s at the international school there. At least among school children. Their parents are an entirely different story.

Actually, there may be no good solutions. The prejudice is bad. I recommended that one of our visiting scientists go home early because they said something really inappropriate to your foster sister in front of Nyota and me. My accent sucks, but I am fluent in Vulcan. I have to be so I can understand when you talk dirty to me.

Maybe it’s better to deal with this bigotry than just run away. I don’t know. Do you really want your child to have to deal with all of that prejudicial bullshit? I think some of that is why you spend so much time with Margarita. I think your dad doesn’t want that to happen again. Which is why he’s asking us for help. You’re right; it is bizarre.

Our kid is hanging out with your foster sister and father for another two hours. Do you want to try out a new toy?

XXXX

Dear James:
I am highly amenable to your suggestion. I’m also mostly sober. I consumed significantly less chocolate than I thought I would today.

To be continued.

Chapter 123: Day 291: The continuing adventures of the good grandfather

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read and review the last section. Again, we are going to continue with the unusual formats for a little while. We are going to have more journal entries and even text messaging. Jim and Spock text message each other during shift all the time. I just don't let you see all of them. Besides, half of them are job-related, and where is the fun in that.

I also decided that 12-year-olds will probably have more curse words in their diary entries than their parents would like.

Chapter Text

December 9, 2260

Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy
Dear diary:

I am almost packed for my nearly 3 weeks' stay on New Vulcan. I'm actually going to be there longer than the other kids. They will come back right after the dedication ceremony on the 24, just in time to spend the holidays with their families. I think we're going to be on the planet until the end of the year possibly. Grandfather Sarek was somewhat ambiguous.

My father is still shocked that the former Vulcan Ambassador said for me to call him grandfather. I think it has something to do with the familial mental bond between mom and Uncle Spock. It seems Uncle Spock adopted her as family. I refuse to read more into that because I know they had a past relationship. Although that relationship did happen right after his mom and planet died, so extenuating circumstances.

Also, my mom has a history of having sex with her friends after another friend's death. That was a very interesting conversation. Should I be happy that my mom feels that I am mature enough to have these conversations about sex or be completely mortified? It happened the last time Peter and I shared a bed together. I’m not even a teenager yet. I can understand why she’s concerned because of what happened to Uncle Jim because his stepdad was a piece of shit. Circumstances are different.

All my friends outside of Peter are significantly older than I am. There’s a big difference between 12 and 15. They are definitely all thinking about sex. Jay and Ash may have gone past first base. I think I saw bite marks. Although maybe mom did too, and that's why I got that talk. Also, I have to stay in my own bedroom while we are at the compound unless Saavik is sleeping over as well. I think we might have a few slumber parties. Saavik has never had one before. We have to fix that.

I adore Saavik. We are definitely going to have to write more. She usually just talks to Peter when she calls, but we will have to change that. She needs as many friends as she can get. I think that's why we invited her to hang out with us in classes today and attended the fencing club. Saavik happily accepted because it meant she didn't have to go to the boring dinner with the head of the VSA research team and the new head of the science department Doctor Morales.

Good news the doctor actually gets along with Uncle Spock. Of course, it helps that she doesn’t completely try to lock him out of the science department. Also, unlike Carol, she doesn't hate being in Starfleet.

It's pretty obvious that Carol is only staying around for Aunt Becky. I did get a letter from Aunt Becky. They are enjoying London and are both much happier there. Even though Aunt Becky is trying to undo a lot of damage within the engineering department. Carol's father was up to a lot of shit. She also told me that Nana Winona is bringing me more presents. I’m looking forward to it. Although really they don’t have to keep buying me stuff. I think I’m going to need a bigger room eventually.

Even though Nana Winona and the others won’t arrive until closer to the ceremony, we have so much planned for our time in the colony. After classes anyway. Saavik is going to be stuck at her learning pod almost the entire time. That doesn’t seem very fun. Also, if you're just going to a building to spend the entire time looking at a screen, why are you even there? What's the point? It may be socialization, but socialization doesn't work when everybody there is a dick.

I’m going to help Saavik explore other options. Is there a Vulcan equivalent to a private school? I'm sure grandpa can afford it.

Anyway, we all got our final immunization boosters yesterday. Now we have two more days of Vulcan etiquette/culture/history classes. Grandpa is actually going to be one of our lecturers this afternoon. Peter talked him into it. We will leave on the morning of the 11th, and I am already looking forward to it.

I wonder if I can talk grandpa into letting us go with Saavik to her learning pod one day. She’s going to be sitting on our classes today for all the lectures. It would only be fair. I have plans for some of her classmates. I’m packing all my rings and made a few other things. Scotty gave me replicator codes. I’ll ask grandfather when he visits our class later today.

Xxx
From: Peter_K
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny
Time sent: 12/09/2260 12:32:01
Subject: Uncle Jim, can Saavik just stay with us?

I'm serious. Saavik would be so much happier on Enterprise. We have significantly fewer xenophobic assholes roaming around. Saavik likes our classes better. None of us called her a murderer during project time. Also, nobody tried to sabotage her schoolwork. Apparently, that happens a lot. The overseer just looks the other way. When she doesn't, she blames Saavik for everything. I think she's a xenophobic bigot too.

You should know that one of our guest instructors this morning gave Saavik a dirty look, and what I’ve been informed is an inappropriate hand gesture. Not Gina’s friend. Gina’s friend actually called her the cultural equivalent of xenophobic bigot, per Josephine. She is planning to file a report with her supervisor. I'm glad I'm eating dinner with Sue and Sulu because that's going to be a very awkward dinner tonight.

I think Uncle Spock is not getting treated the way he did when he was younger because these Vulcans are not as prejudiced against humans since many of them worked with humans pre-Vulcan implosion. Although it may just be because it’s uncle Spock. Apparently, saving the elders managed to get Uncle Spock some brownie points per Gina's friend. But they are very prejudiced against Romulans, probably because of the Vulcan implosion.

I can understand their animosity. If my entire family and planet were destroyed, I would be angry too. But you can’t blame an entire people for the actions of one group. Especially when they had nothing to do with it.

This may be why Gina decided we would study the anti-Asian prejudice experienced on earth after the great pandemic of the early 2020s. Technically we are not up to that section of our 21st-century Earth history course yet, but Gina decided we should skip ahead for reasons. She also stated that history doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. That feels obvious. My mom was killed by an alien pathogen. I understand, too well.

We watched some videos of Sue and Lizzy’s great great great great grandmother who experienced a lot of prejudice. She looks a lot like Sue. She was actually physically assaulted and had a scar because of the incident.

Saavik really identified with her story. She may have cried a little. I didn’t know that was possible; I’m learning all sorts of new things.

Anyway, Saavik should come with us because she will actually make real friends here that will not treat her like shit. Jay thinks she's cool because she offered to help him with his Vulcan vocabulary. All the Ashleys adore her. Although Ashley two did suggest an eyebrow waxing. The good Chrises like her. The other Chris was a dick because apparently, one of his parents died during the Battle of Vulcan. But, again, that’s not her fault. I think Chris three is really going to flunk this history unit spectacularly.

Anyway, I know you don't have a final decision, but you can influence Uncle Spock and grandpa. I think it would be so much better for her to be around us. The learning pods are, well, hell.

PS: Josephine asked grandpa if we could go with Saavik to the learning pods when he joined us for lunch and his afternoon lecture to our class. I think she’s planning to beat the hell out of the two girls that are making school completely miserable for Saavik. She packed rings. How much trouble would I get in if I joined her?

XXXX

Sexy husband: Why did you forward me Peter’s email? I realize it would be less traumatic for Saavik to be educated on Enterprise with peers that will not blame her for the Vulcan genocide. It is, unfortunately, not an option. The only way this would ever become an option is if my father completes his adoption process and subsequently expires. That will most likely not happen for the foreseeable future. Although the first is likely to happen within the next six months, the second is not something I wish to experience.

 

Jim: Nor do I actually. I think you’ve gone through enough trauma. You don’t need to lose your father anytime soon. So have the kids, and they are attached to their grandfather. I wasn't expecting him to be the cuddly grandparent. He’s speaking at their class today.

Sexy husband: Neither was I. He made several schedule changes just to accommodate the lecture invitation.

Jim: Because Peter asked him to. He adores your little sister. So I think we might be able to help a little bit, at least in the short term.

Sexy husband: And what is your suggestion?

Jim: Instead of doing the learning pod while the other kids are on the planet, maybe Saavik should participate in their program? It would be good for her to socialize with kids her own age that are not bigots. We can convince your father that it’s a cultural exchange.

Sexy husband: Except for apparently Chris 3. He is obviously xenophobic. He's unaware of Vulcan's superior hearing skills. I heard him refer to my sister by several racial slurs.

Jim: Oh, it’s so cute you’re already thinking of Saavik as your sister. That’s a lot faster than I was with Kevin.

Jim: Look, we should have seen it coming. We already know Chris three is transphobic. Xenophobia isn't that much of a stretch. Anti-Romulan prejudice is a problem. You know that they wanted to change The Kobe mushroom bad guys to Romulans for the re-issue?

Jim: You know what I mean. Remind me to talk to IT about upgrading the voice rec. It’s being bratty.

Sexy husband: I will. Although, I’m not sure how an AI can be “bratty.” I am aware of the attempt to change it and personally argued against it. I know Admiral Chen was the one who decided that they would fight a fictional race instead that will change their appearance periodically to reflect the test takers.

Jim: Because she understands that the bad guys sometimes look like you. She was there for the aftermath of the Tarsus disaster, where the bad guys were very human.

Sexy husband: I will try to speak with my father about this as soon as possible. However, my father’s original working lunch has been rescheduled as a dinner tonight that we must attend.

Jim: That definitely will not be a time for us to talk. But I think we're still doing a family dinner tomorrow night since it will be his last night on the ship.

Sexy husband: I will discuss the matter with him then.
At a minimum, we have to talk him out of letting Jojo and Peter go to the learning pods with Saavik because we might be dealing with an intergalactic incident otherwise.

Jim: Josephine will beat the hell out of those girls. Peter will help. Even if we tell him he'll be grounded, he would still do it. Which we won't because that would make us both hypocrites.

Sexy husband: I think they would nerve pinch her before she could do any significant damage.

Jim: Does the average 12-year-old Vulcan know how to nerve pinch, or were you in self-defense classes at an early age because both your parents knew you would need it?

Sexy husband: I think your theory might actually be accurate. I was the youngest individual in my self-defense classes. I always assumed it was because I was the son of an ambassador. Being able to defend myself would be necessary for some situations.

Jim: You are not entirely wrong. But I’m sure your parents both realized you would be dealing with a lot of bigots at home as well.

Sexy husband: Should I also suggest to my father that Saavik begin self-defense training?

Jim: Actually, he already tried to sign her up for classes, but she wasn't allowed to join. And there’s only one place right now in their settlement. That might’ve been when your father started contemplating homeschooling. But he is also worried he might not find a qualified tutor. At least not a Vulcan one. That may have been why I suggested he go back into the Diplomatic Corps.

Sexy husband: I, unfortunately, feel that he should stay on the colony. He is one of the few trustees of the Vulcan Science Academy that survived, and he can help steer the curriculum.

Jim: And education is the key to a less bigoted society?

Sexy husband: Yes.

Jim: Which is important. But you can't forget your kids when accomplishing such noble goals. I feel like maybe your father forgot about that when you were growing up. Perhaps that wasn't so bad because at least you had your mom. But your sister isn't going to have your mom. She has us, so we have to be that person.

Sexy husband: Your reasoning is logical. Will you help me with this discussion by occupying the children so that I may speak to my father in private at the first opportunity?

Jim: As long as you promise no bloodshed.

Sexy husband: I will. I will also ask Nyota to inspect Josephine's luggage.

Jim: That would probably be for the best.

To be continued…

Chapter 124: Day 292: We probably prevented an intergalactic incident

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so fabulous. Again more unconventional formatting. Also, we're probably going to be having almost daily chapters (in-universe) from here till the end of the year. Don't you want to hear more about the kids' adventures in New Vulcan? I plan to stick to the once every two weeks posting schedule, but occasionally I may post a bonus chapter. I’ve been dealing with a blood clot for the last couple of months that has cut down on my writing time, but I’m starting to get better.

Chapter Text

From: NyotaUM
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/10/2260 07:03:21

Subject: Thank you for the tip-off. We probably prevented an intergalactic incident.

So yes, my child was out for blood. You don’t mess with her friends. I don't know how your little sister managed to quickly get herself on the friend list, but she is there. Although even if she wasn’t there, I feel like Josephine's sense of justice would intervene. She doesn’t like bullies and really doesn’t care if they’re Vulcan bullies. She also doesn’t tolerate xenophobia.

Her maternal grandfather was blatantly racist and xenophobic. He was so mad losing custody to us because his granddaughter was adopted by an African woman. For all her faults, Josephine’s biological mother raised her daughter not to be her father. At least she did one thing right. 1 million other things were done wrong, but at least there’s that. So, Josephine despises that behavior and will fight it by whatever means necessary.

Anyway, we had a long conversation. I had to explain to my 12-year-old that this is another one of those situations where the adults are supposed to handle it. I don’t think she’s used to having that type of support yet. Josephine is getting better at trusting us and telling us things, but you can't undo 10+ years' worth of damage in a year and a half. It doesn’t work that way. I wish it did. I wish we could just magically fix everything, but we can't. I’m trying, though.

Although, I now have a list of horrible ways that the learning pod kids torture your sister. Your father wouldn’t fall for the ‘I ran into a door’ thing, would he? Because they’ve hit her a couple of times. Although maybe physical bullying is so unheard of culturally that he just assumes everything is emotional torture? I am planning to have lunch with your dad.

Speaking of the Vulcan, how are things going with your father? I know we didn’t really get to talk much yesterday, and we're both busy. I have to get my team ready to be here without me for two weeks.

I am looking forward to working on the colony at the University in the linguistics department. They are trying to make sure as many ancient Vulcan texts are preserved as possible. I feel honored to be asked to be part of the restoration work.

XXXX

From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/10/2260 12:15:01

Subject: Re: Thank you for the tip-off. We probably prevented an intergalactic incident.

I am glad that we were able to avoid such an incident. We also had a similar conversation last night with Peter. Although in our case, it was violence should be used as a last resort. He may have heard a slightly edited version of the events that led to the Vengeance incident. Mostly related to Jim’s decision not to fire an experimental torpedo into Klingon space. The moral was vengeance, and violence can be destructive. It is important to step back and deal with situations rationally.

I feel that it was a constructive conversation overall, even though I needed two chocolate cookies afterward. I did not enjoy reflecting upon the events that led to James’s death, even though it was a temporary death. That part of the story was kept out for the sake of Peter’s mental health. Peter should not be aware of how close he came to not having an uncle.

Concerning my father, I have not consumed anywhere near as much chocolate as I thought I would to get through this visit. Peter speaks very highly of my father and is enjoying their interactions together. Although he was disappointed that he was not able to attend their fencing club meeting. However, he did promise to watch the video. James has joked that children make all parental interactions more tolerable. We will see if that is the case when Winona arrives soon. She is looking forward to seeing her grandson in person.

PS: How did your lunch with my father go? I assume you will not read this message until after the fact.
Xx

From: NyotaUM
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/10/2260 16:14:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for the tip-off. We probably prevented an intergalactic incident.

Actually, I didn’t get to look at this until several hours after lunch. Lunch went well. He was a perfect Vulcan gentleman. I now have a better idea of what I’ll be doing. He’s the one who recommended me for the project, so I hope I don't let him down.

I have to agree with Jim’s point about parental interactions being better with grandchildren. My interactions with my mother have improved greatly since the adoption. She absolutely adores her granddaughter. Interactions with my father continue to be nonexistent. He hasn’t sent an email since this mission has begun. Honestly, I have no desire to talk to him. So, that’s for the best. Well, outside of the wedding invitation which I think the new wife sent by accident. I hope so anyway.

I think maybe your father realizes that he made a lot of mistakes. I got that impression during our lunch. I know my mom has told me she’s trying to fix some of those for me many times. Which is how we ended up in the trial program. But I think your father is trying to do the same thing for your baby sister.

The main reason for lunch was to convince me to consider a full-time position on the colony with the VSA. I think this is his way of getting playmates for his kid.

I was reassured that there is an alternative to the learning pods for the non-Vulcan children in the colony. There’s an “international” school. I feel like that probably exists because they don’t want the non-Vulcan students intermingling, but that's just me.

Also, I heard some stories about what your sister has gone through. The good news is your father did pick up on the bruises and did not believe her when she said she fell into a door. That’s when he started looking into alternatives.

I don’t like the concept of separate but equal education. However, I feel like the international school would be a more tolerable environment. Not that I’m planning to leave anytime soon. But I wouldn’t mind taking a year off after the five-year mission and do another academic tour of duty. I enjoyed my time in Georgia. I wouldn’t mind doing it again. We won’t run into the two bodies problem as much as other people in Starfleet because everybody needs doctors.

Anyway, I’ll see you at dinner tonight. We were invited, but I think that only happened because somebody really wants my kid there. I think he found Jo Jo ready to beat up those other girls sweet, in a very Vulcan way. Your father confuses me.

XXXX
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/10/2260 17:14:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for the tip-off. We probably prevented an intergalactic incident.

 

I find my father's behavior quite confusing on a regular basis. I am not surprised you also found him highly confusing.

I would not be surprised if he would pull various strings to get you a job on the New Vulcan colony solely so that my sister can have a friend on the world. I would not be offended if you chose to not spend the entire five years with us. I would miss you. Although I think my people with benefit from your experience.

I plan to do more research on the international school before I speak with my father. I think this might be the solution to our problems.

 

XXXX

T'hy'la: Good news. Your sister really loves Legos. Better news, per the message Sulu got from the fiancé a couple of days ago, more will be on the way. This is good because we will have to give some of our Lego stash to your sister.

T'hy'la: How’s the conversation with your father going? You seem mostly calm over the bond, and I haven’t heard any screaming, so I take that as a good sign. Although, I wish you would have let Nyota stay with you.

Spock: He agreed not to give into Peter and Josephine’s second request to visit the learning pods.

T'hy'la: This is good considering Nyota found many rings and other things that could become small concealed weapons in JoJo’s luggage. I had to put parental locks on the replicator. I don’t think our talk yesterday worked as well as we thought it would, considering they asked again to go to the learning pods during dinner.

T'hy'la: Leonard is also a little concerned about why JoJo felt that drastic action is necessary, considering her biological mom and grandfather. Nyota and Leonard are planning to discuss this with Margarita.

Spock: That may be necessary.

T'hy'la: Very necessary.

Spock: My father has also decided that my sibling would benefit from an educational environment outside of the learning pods. Therefore, he agreed to let her be with the Enterprise students for the next two weeks. This will give him time to work on other accommodations.

T'hy'la: Vulcan private school? Do they have Vulcan gifted kid school?

Spock: They will not accept her due to her unfortunate circumstances. He tried after Saavik returned home bruised 6.7 weeks ago.

T'hy'la: Is “unfortunate circumstances” a euphemism for being of partial Romulan ancestry?

Spock: Yes.

T'hy'la: Fucking assholes. How soon can she test into the VSA?

Spock: Three years. Even then, my father will probably have to intervene on her behalf.

T'hy'la: There are no other educational options?

Spock: Not for students of Vulcan ancestry. There is a separate school for non-Vulcan immigrants and children of volunteer workers. My father is sure that it would be an adequate learning environment for Josephine should Nyota ever decide to take a permanent position on the colony.

T'hy'la: Of course, he would poach our chief communications officer so his kid can have a playmate. I would be offended if, honestly, we wouldn't do the same thing for Peter.

T'hy'la: This feels like the concept of separate but equal, which pisses me off because it is never really equal. I assume the justification of this is Vulcans learn differently?

Spock: Yes, which is not entirely inaccurate. The school has traditional instructors, and not all the learning is computer-based as with a traditional Vulcan school. However, I found I grasped information better when I was at the Academy.

T'hy'la: Now, being half Romulan, would your sister be allowed to go to the school? This is also where all the Starfleet kids are going to go, right?

Spock: Yes.

T'hy'la: Chris three’s mom is thinking of taking a post on the colony, but I am talking her out of it for the sake of humanity. I’m still going to get him off the ship, but I don’t want Chris three on the same planet as your sister

Spock: I appreciate that.

Spock: My father said yes, she would qualify. He will meet with the headmaster once he returns to check into the possibility of her enrolling there. Although he is worried that the curriculum may not be advanced enough.

T'hy'la: I think they can modify that. She needs socialization, and she needs to be away from assholes.

Spock: My father appreciates your suggestion. He also says it’s safe for you to bring the kids back in. We have cake.

T'hy'la: And we can all use cake.

To be continued

Chapter 125: Day 293: Now Leaving Home

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or review the last conversation. Once again, you are all so wonderful. Our kids are leaving the nest. Obviously, the parents are nervous. There may also be some crying going on.

Chapter Text

December 11, 2260
Dear Spock:
So, it is 3:32 AM ship time, and I’m writing in my therapy Journal. Margarita would be proud. Or worried. You can never tell with my therapist. Of course, I am having trouble sleeping because this morning, we have to turn our child over to your father for two weeks.

I admit I am nervous. Less so than maybe I would have been before we've spent these last few days with your father, but I'm still apprehensive about being a few light-years away from my child. What if he gets sick without us or your father discovers that Peter has most of my food allergies the hard way. Apparently, this panic means I've gone fully into the parenting role. Or at least that's what Leonard told me last night when you were still talking to your dad.

 

I guess this means I have completely accepted that Peter is our kid. I think it kind of snuck up on us. I wonder when that happened for Winona with Kevin or Ming with Liz? Was it something that happened quick? Or did one day you wake up in the middle of the night because you had a nightmare about your child getting tortured by all the assholes who made your husband's childhood miserable?

Yes, I know most of those people are dead. The ones that are not are currently in a detention center because of what happened the last time we were on the planet. However, there is still the fact that your sister doesn't have classes with the nicest Vulcans. I feel like they may turn on our kids too. Bigots are never rational or logical.

This might be why I haven’t completely searched Peter’s luggage for small concealed weapons. It’s best to be prepared. We are sending Annie down with the kids for a reason. Apparently, your dad paid for the extra security programming. Although I’ve heard that sehlat are very protective of their owners. The electronic version has maintained this characteristic.

Okay, maybe I’m having super illogical dreams because Peter has never been away from both of us. Since we've had him, at least one of us has always been with Peter. Even then, he stayed on Enterprise, and we were the ones leaving. I don’t want him to be away from us. I trust your dad; I really do. I know I've been the one telling you for days that we will have adequate supervision for all the kids, but my mind is really fucked up. I have a right to be worried. You were kidnapped the last time we were on the planet.

Now that I am a parent, I wonder how hard it was for Winona to leave me behind. Did she regret it, or was she thankful I wasn't there to deal with all of that mess that became Tarsus? I don't know. I am starting to look at her choices differently now, knowing that I am responsible for another life. I am beginning to understand the decisions Winona made back then better than I did at the time. Age and life experience helps.

Yes, Spock bear, it feels weird with me being the apprehensive one who can't sleep right now because I'm the one who pushed for Peter to get to spend quality time with his grandpa on the planet. Maybe I want Peter to have something I couldn't have as a kid.

Relations with the Kirk family were a mess even before our most recent litigation. Grandpa Tiberius was already gone before I was even born. George's mom was a bigot and angry that we got the house. Me sharing a name with her ex-husband didn't help things at all. It didn’t get better when she found out I was one of those people. You know what she did that time I dressed up as Captain Marvel. I definitely couldn’t spend summers with grandma picking green beans. Not that that would happen with your father because I’m not sure he actually has a garden, but you get what I mean.

Winona wasn't on speaking terms with her side of the family either, so that wasn't an option. Like the Kirks side of the family, they wrote their own tell-all books after George died. Also, my mom's father was a dick.

I never got to do the normal things kids did because my family was screwed up. I want Peter to have as much normalcy as possible despite his parents being dead and being raised by his uncle and his Vulcan husband. Normalcy, in this case, is sending our kids to spend two weeks during the beginning of New Vulcan summer to hang out with his cousin aunt.

Writing that feels more Deep South than what it should be. I blame Leonard.

OK, I'm rambling. That means I definitely should try going back to sleep for another hour.

Love you
XXXX

Dear James:

My father does actually have a garden. However, it mostly consists of various succulents once indigenous to Vulcan. Although he is planning to eventually add a vegetable garden at some point now that he’s home throughout the year. Some of the cacti is edible, but my father is trying to grow more first.

Your dream was not illogical because I believe I had a similar dream. It is actually possible that that may have been my dream. We have not done that for a while, but it is not an illogical occurrence. This may be happening because of our mutual anxiety.

I understand your anxiety because I would be lying to you if I said that I was not anxious, and Vulcans do not lie. I've been told it's normal for parents to be concerned when their children leave home despite wanting them to experience the world.

My mother was terrified when I left for Starfleet. However, she still let me go because I needed to make my own way into the universe. Although this is not the same situation, Peter does need to explore the world.

I, too, want our child to experience things that we did not. I spent summers in Canada with my maternal grandfather, although green beans were never involved. But I did not have an easy relationship with my father. Not as a child, at least. I always felt that I could never live up to his expectations. Maybe I want Peter to have the relationship with my father that I couldn’t.

At least not then. Over these last few days, I realized he's not the Vulcan I grew up with. Maybe we are not the only ones experiencing the world differently because of our age and experience.

My father has promised to not let any of the children near the learning pods. So, I do not believe they will run into any of my sister’s antagonistic classmates. I feel that is best for Starfleet/New Vulcan relations. If something were to happen, I believe that Peter and Josephine can handle themselves in such a situation. This may also be why I did not search Peter’s luggage as thoroughly as I should have.

XXXX

Dear Spock:
Snuggle Bear, you lie all the time. Maybe you blame that on your human side. This may also be why you are letting Peter keep all those rings.

Why can't we share sex dreams again? Those are fun. The reliving trauma dreams not as much. I hope you never have to live through a Frank dream. I was worried that my time with Ashley 2 would bring those memories back. Thankfully, it didn’t happen.

I also hope the kids don't run into any of your sister’s classmates anywhere. But you're right; they can hold their own. We have chaperones there, so we just have to trust that everything will be OK. But if I start crying today, you'll know why.

XXXX
Dear James:

I will not remark on your potential display of emotions because I believe I may have a similar display. Despite the fact we will be joining the children on December 22nd. I believe they can deal with these 11 days on their own. At least we know they will write.

XXXX

“Josephine, are you packed?” Leonard called into his daughter’s room at 7:35 AM ship time. The shuttles will begin boarding at 8 AM, and he would like his daughter to at least have a slice of toast before leaving.

“Yes, I just have to switch shoes,” Josephine called out from her bedroom.

“And do you have your emergency hydration hypos? Those should be in your travel bag, not in your checked luggage.”

“Yes, and the tablets along with the water desalinization kit you're making mom bring," Josephine said as she walked out of her room with her backpack, shoulder bag, and checked bag. He's pretty sure she's bringing half of her wardrobe down for her three-week stay on the colony.

“It’s a portable water generator. It’s standard Starfleet equipment for missions on a desert planet.” Leonard replied. “Are you sure you don’t need more clothes?”

“No, we’ll have access to laundry facilities.”

“You should take this seriously. You can never be too careful when you are traveling to a newly developed colony. Your friends Kevin and Elizabeth learned that firsthand.” He knows that the infrastructure is better now than it was during their last trip, but he is concerned. Hopefully, nobody will get kidnapped due to biology.

“I'm sure if a fungus attacks the crops, you'll come to get us right away," Josephine remarked. He doesn’t remember her talking back this much before. Maybe this means that she’s starting to become more comfortable with him. Or at least they are beginning to undo some of the unseen damage from his ex-wife.

“It was more than that.”

“Mom, dad's being weird again," Josephine called out.

“He's protective," Nyota said as she passed a premade breakfast sandwich to Josephine. At least she won’t starve on the shuttle. “This is the first time he's going to be away from us in almost a year. Of course, he's going to want to make sure we packed everything we need to be safe on the colony.”

“I’m not going to be completely alone. You’re coming with me.” Josephine commented.

“I’m only going to be with you at night at your grandfather’s house. I’m going to be working during the day." Nyota replied.

“I wish I could have been the doctor down there." Leonard lamented. That got him a quick kiss from his girlfriend.

“I know. I wish you could be with us too. However, I think it's good for Dr. Sanchez to be on the field trip. It will be a bonding experience for her and Ashley S. It will give them a chance to strengthen the relationship off the ship," he knows that the relationship is complicated. Being the only other medical team member with a child, Leonard and Sanchez have talked a lot.

“It's getting better. Ashley S is not even freaking out about the potential stepdad who's only five years older than her.” Josephine remarked.

“I don't think it's going to end up there.” Leonard wasn’t so sure. They ended up back together for a reason.

“You never know," Leonard said, passing his girlfriend her overnight bag.

"I know you're worried, dad, but we will be fine. We also need to get to the hangar now for the shuttle.”

"Leonard, don't worry. I'm sure Gina will make sure Josephine doesn't try to punch out any of her cousin's classmates when I’m working.” She leaned over to give him one more kiss.

“I promise I won't start an interplanetary incident. Even though they deserve it because they are awful." That got a glare from Nyota. “but I will not resort to violence.”

“Thank you," Nyota said as they left their apartment.

“You do have everything, right?” Leonard asked.

“Yes, including the extra sunscreen and the respiratory treatments. Although that's not needed because the oxygen is comparable with Earth levels." His girlfriend replied.

“I still worry.”

"I know. It will be okay. We’ll be in constant communication.” Nyota reassured him.

“You will write me after your shuttle lands?” Leonard asked.

“We will write you tonight. Although, I'm not sure you'll get the messages instantly. There could be a day delay." Nyota explained. "We are close, but there’s still a bit of a delay.

“As long as it's not a couple of weeks.”

"48 hours at most, and that will probably not happen until the Enterprise is at the farther part of the system. We will also send pictures. This is going to be a great experience for all of us. You’ll see.”

“I hope you're right.

Xxxxx

"Are you sure you have everything? You didn't leave any bags back in the room?” James asked his nephew as they waited to board the shuttle with the other kids and interns. James was definitely looking forward to not having to chase them out of engineering or botany. Scotty might be on the Hamilton right now, but some traditions carry on in his absence. Spock has decided for morale to look the other way with his of age crew-members, as long as it did not interfere with anybody’s work. But the underage interns were another situation entirely.

“I have my backpack and suitcase. I also have Annie's charging pad and all of her supplies.” Peter replied as Annie followed behind him.

“Although, it is not necessary for you to bring that because we have spare charging pads at the house. Your cousin has her own pet.” Spock replied

“Of course, she does. Your dad likes to spoil his kids.”

"I was never spoiled."

"Yeah, right, Mr. I never lived in the dorms," James remarked.

“Uncle Jim, I have everything, including the kit that Uncle Bones gave me that mostly consisted of hydration hypos, allergy hypos, and sunscreen,” Peter responded.

“You saw the wedding pictures. I came out looking like a lobster.” James remarked.

"Due to a recently discovered allergy to an ingredient in the sunscreen you used," Spock remarked.

“That's why the pouch includes allergy hypos. You can never be too careful. The sunscreen is the new one I’m not allergic to. Hopefully, it will be safe for you because we have no idea if you inherited any of my other allergies besides the strawberry one.

“I will make a note of that allergy and make sure Peter consumes nothing in the same genetic family.”

“I’ll send you some notes. Spock has an entire file with all my allergies.” James replied to his father-in-law.

“It is necessary.” Especially after they discovered the latex allergy.

“I promise to take excellent care of your child and returned him to your care in the same condition that he arrived.” His father replied as he grabbed Peters bags from Spock. He then made his way with the two children to the shuttle.

“That's what we asked for. Honey, I think your dad made a joke."

“Vulcans do not joke.”

"You're smirking in your head," James replied as he waved to Peter.

“Live long and prosper, father,” Spock whispered as his father, new sister, and child boarded the shuttle.

To be continued…

Chapter 126: Day 294: You really need a hug and a glass of wine (not necessarily in that order)

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so wonderful. We are now getting to the response to the mommy on the edge letter. All of the rapid messages from the last section definitely got the sequence completely messed up. Now we're doing more Journal and same-day messages, which will probably mess it up more. There's a reason for my madness.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Mommy_Susan
time arrived: 12/12/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Can I hug you?

Seriously my main reaction after reading your letter is I just want to hug you. Ben had a similar reaction. Just so you know, I did let him read this. We cried a lot. That was a lot to read. But I’m glad we know exactly where your head was at in the aftermath.

At the time, I may have been upset because you did not write to us immediately, but now I understand why you weren’t ready yet. You have a lot of anger to work through. I can understand needing to take a moment and collect yourself. I am glad you did write us eventually. We have talked several times, including me having to tell you that your baby's daddy's fiancé is a bit of an idiot. I adore Ben, but he is an idiot. He doesn't want you to be bothered by his trauma.

 

Have you got a rapid message from him yet? I hope you did. I really don’t want my letter from a few days ago to be the first time you heard about the mess going on here. It really is a mess. Good news, the bastard is in jail again, and our lawyers are looking into how he keeps getting out. We think someone else is paying for it, but who and why is something we are still trying to figure out.

You should know I've read bits and pieces of your letter to Demora. The parts that told her how much you loved her and how much you missed her. I also included a few of the parts when you were scared. But I didn't read her everything even though Kevin thought it would be OK. Winona agrees with me because she knows that Jim picked up on her negative energy and depression those first few years after George died. We don't want the baby to pick up on all of that. She has enough with her BFF and future step sister having a grandpa who tried to kill her. Nothing happened, but still, there's trauma.

Winona is here in San Francisco and has been for a couple of days. She needed to pack up her life and move it to London permanently. To do that, we had to go through a bunch of storage lockers. I have some goodies I'm bringing. We also had to do some paperwork regarding Peter. His mother was thorough.

The other reason is we all want to leave from the same port. We ship out tomorrow. We're leaving a few days earlier because of the mess with Ben’s former father-in-law. Mom thinks it's safer if we are off-planet, and I agree with her. I think she’s going to try to recruit Zoe.

At the same time, the letter is going into the book of letters. Basically, it's a scrapbook I'm making for Demora regarding her mommy and daddy’s service. When she's older, Demora can look back at it, hopefully with you and Sulu there to read it with her. That way, she has a better idea of what you were doing when you weren't with her. I got the idea from talking to mom. Apparently, your dad did that for you. I just hope this time you’re around to read it with her.

I know you’re terrified of that not happening. Trust me, I get that. I buried my first family. I really don't want to bury my second. I don't want Demora to go through what I did. Maybe she won't because she has us. Demora has a whole family waiting for her with open arms. Not like what happened with my aunt. She only wanted me for the money.

I guess from these ramblings, you know that we're on our way or will be soon. I think we're getting to New Vulcan on the 20th or the 21st. It depends on how our inspections go. I don't think the Enterprise delegation arrives until the 22nd, at least the part with Captain Spock and his spouse. You and the baby's daddy might be able to go down earlier. Mom is not really sharing any details with us. There is probably a reason for that. I'm not sure what that reason is, but I'm not sure I want to know. Anyway, write me back.

PS: I just found out your baby's daddy’s fiancé is an idiot and never did write to you about the incident. He is now. Which means that you're going to get my message first. Oops, sorry. I hope that there has been some rapid messages in the meantime. Otherwise, you are going to have one hell of a response.

XXXX
From: Benjamin_2254
To: Mommy_Susan
Time arrived: 12/12/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I am glad your mom packed the good wine.

I feel like you need at least three glasses and maybe a box of chocolate to go along with it. Whenever arriving at New Vulcan, we are just taking an hour and drinking our way through at least one bottle of the good stuff. You really need it.

I know you were terrified during your capture, but I think you were more honest to your one-and-a-half-year-old that you weren't planning to actually read the letter than to us. Or maybe not honest but raw. I saw less self-censorship because children aren't going to judge you. They're not going to question or second guess what you did or why you did it. Well, they will, but they can't verbalize that yet. We are just starting to get to short multi-word sentences. Mostly about no juice and the desire for cookies.

I think reading everything made me realize exactly how traumatizing this entire experience was for you. Also, how lucky we are that we got you back. I feel like the situation was worse than what we thought before.

This also makes me glad that we will be serving together, somewhere a hell of a lot safer. I mean, who's going to attack our space station? It will all be fine.

At least my former father-in-law will not be able to find us there. They usually don't let convicted felons take interplanetary transport, and with any luck, he'll be a convicted felon very soon. That tends to happen when you try to shoot your soon-to-be ex-wife at her farewell lunch.

The ex-father-in-law situation has escalated, but he's in jail once again, and we are leaving the planet tomorrow. He won’t even have a bail arraignment until after we are far away. Thank the universe for that.

I would have waited to tell you about what happened until the next letter or maybe even when we are together in person. I just don’t want to add to everything you’re dealing with. You have a lot you need to process.

But Winona is here. We had a long conversation about the importance of honesty and relationships. Even if I don't see this situation as a big deal because he's arrested and we're all safe, the two of you might.

I’m okay. I’m angry. I’m hurt. I’m really frustrated that he keeps getting out. Maybe I’m even angry that I have to leave the planet. That’s what happened with Winona. It was how she ended up on the planet of the damned. She wished she wasn't there because she lost Sam. But if she wasn't there, then maybe she wouldn't have Kevin, and you wouldn't have Liz. Perhaps the universe ended up the way it needed to be.

Regardless, we will be on our way soon. I'm completely packed, even if one suitcase is 90% snacks. The Sulu sisters did say they would send care packages because one cannot be on any colony without a steady supply of candy. The replicators don't get it right.

PS: Liz now knows that I didn't send you a rapid message about the restaurant incident earlier. Winona said a little too much. Liz is really mad at me. I'm in so much trouble. I'm going to have to make an emergency run to get her some chocolate before leaving tomorrow.

Xxx
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Mommy_Susan
time sent: 12/12/2260 06:48:21
Subject: Re: Can I hug you?

I completely agree that Ben is an idiot, but he's our idiot. Really, I think Hikaru couldn't deal with Ben alone. That's why he has me. Don't worry; several rapid messages have already been sent out on the subject. However, he did write us about what happened, so he is not stuck on the couch for his time on New Vulcan.

It looks like we are all going down the evening of the 22nd and staying through New Year’s. At least that's the plan for Hikaru and me. I don't know about Jim and Spock. Although Nyota is really looking forward to being acting captain for a while. I'm looking forward to being on a planet where I won’t have to worry about being kidnapped.

Okay, Hikaru is with me as I dictate this message, and he just informed me that last time Enterprise was here, Spock got kidnapped and hid what happened from Jim. How did they actually manage to get together? They seem more hopeless than you and Kevin. You got it together eventually, but we were all concerned. Hikaru refuses to give me additional details. I'm trying to decide if that's because it was ridiculous or because nobody wants to bring up the trauma of my own kidnapping. Personally, I think Vulcan supremacists were involved.

I'm doing well. I'm down to two sessions a week which I think shows progress. I've been informed that the therapist I will be seeing once I get to Yorktown happens to be one of Dr. Suarez's nieces. She's actually traveling with you to the colony. Probably to surprise her aunt. From what I've been told, the young Dr. Suarez just finished her time at the Academy. She's ready for deployment. She was a therapist for a few years before joining Starfleet. She got to take the quick version that Leonard did for later in life professionals. Actually, the program's even faster now because we need therapists. We need doctors; we need everybody after these last two and a half years.

When I had Demora, I think my biggest fear was becoming my father. You know I wasn’t planning to have children until after my Starfleet days were long over. I even froze some eggs. I didn't want to be in that position. I didn't want to put my child in that position, but then the idiot ex-boyfriend picked up fertility lube, and I ended up with my daughter a little early. From what I understand about a decade early. We're going to have tea with Spock’s grandfather one day when we're on the colony to figure out exactly how early because I'm curious. I think I can make him tell me.

I think my biggest fear now is I will leave her. That one day, I will die on a mission just like my dad. I think it got worse spending time with Peter. Apparently, there were a few near misses before the parasite incident. But Peter’s mom refused to change. I’m not going to be that person. That’s why I am glad I’m taking the Yorktown assignment.

BTW the kids left yesterday. They’re excited. Jim, Spock, and Leonard are concerned. We have yet to get any emails. We’re worried that Josephine might beat the hell out of some bigoted prepubescent Vulcans. Scotty gave her replicator codes for small weapons. Nyota said he better be glad he’s on the Hamilton until February.

I think a nervous Jim and Spock are adorable. Sulu wants to smack both of them upside the head. Being the actual first officer without the name can be a bit stressful. I did remind him that at least he doesn't work for people that would turn him over to save their own ass. OK, maybe I am still working on some things in therapy.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing you soon. I think it’s going to be a good trip.

XXXX
From: Mommy_Susan
To: Benjamin_2254
Time sent: 12/12/2260 07:00:01
Subject: you barely escaped couch time.

Be very thankful that Winona knocked some sense into you because you would be so on the couch without this email. Also, we want to once again say that your trauma is valid. This is not a competition. I’m also not a fragile person. You don't have to keep things from the fiancé and me because you don’t think we can handle it right now.

I know I was a mess when I wrote the letter to Demora. Honestly, I’m still a mess. But I’m getting better. I am only seeing my therapist twice a week. I know what my next assignment is going to be. I concluded that I want to do something a lot less dangerous than being a captain on a diplomatic ship, at least for a little while. I want our child to at least have one of us around growing up.

My parents always made sure one person was on the planet with me. That was a good system, at least until my dad died. Then I was living with Gina's family for a while. This was good because they adore me like another daughter. Per my conversations with Nyota, it was better than boarding school. She has made peace with it after realizing she avoided a possible Frank situation. I’m sure Winona filled you in on that.

I think every parent wants to make sure their children have a better childhood than they did. Especially when parts of their childhood were a little on the screwed upside. (I know I had a better childhood than Liz because I only have one dead parent. This is why we don't compare trauma in this family.) I don’t want to make the mistakes of my parents or Liz's biological parents, for that matter. I want to make all new mistakes. I can't wait to explain to Demora about her conception. It was a great outcome, but it wasn't exactly the best life decision I've ever made.

 

We are definitely breaking open the good wine and having a long conversation with each other. Because I don't think you're completely fine about what happened with your former father-in-law. The almost shooting was traumatic no matter what you say. Maybe you're not physically hurt, but I feel like you're upset that you had to leave your home to get away from him.

Yes, you are also leaving so you can be closer to your fiancé. We can be a big family together on the space station. But he still the one partially responsible for you having to leave. You hate that you’re being forced out.

You can be angry about what he’s doing to you. You're allowed to be angry. Reyes tells me that I'm allowed to be mad at the captain who sold me out. I'm allowed to be mad at the coworker who set me up.

You can be mad at your former father-in-law. It's OK. You can be frustrated because you had to make this decision because of his actions. You're allowed to feel sad. You're allowed to feel the way you do. Nobody can tell you that you're not processing it right. Or it wasn't such a big deal because you're still alive. Other people do not dictate how you feel. You are the one who decides what you're dealing with; it is you.

It is perfectly fine if you're mad and you're in pain. You don’t have to hide your pain and hurt from me because I'm also in pain. You don’t need to hide your feelings from your partner because you feel like you have to be strong and man enough. You don't have to put on a brave face because you have to be the one supporting the rest of us. You don't have to close yourself off from us.

You don't have to be the strong one because we are a mess. Nobody has to be the strong one. We are a team; we are a family. And we will deal with all of this together. No matter what, it's what we are.

 

To be continued…

Chapter 127: Day 295: Greetings from Grandpa’s house

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left kudos for the last conversation. You are also wonderful. Sorry, this chapter is late. I was really busy this weekend. Thankfully because I had doctor’s appointments Monday morning, I took the whole day off. Hopefully, all will be well, and I have more time to devote to writing.

The rules for the story are we only see emails from the perception of the Enterprise email server. The only time we broke this rule before was during the Yorktown chapters. So while the kids are on New Vulcan, we won't see emails from them until they arrive on the Enterprise, for the most part. We will break the rules a couple of times when the children respond to emails from their outside family members. But I’m going to try to limit that.
Also, please note that New Vulcan is four hours behind Enterprise. This will come into play until we reach January.

Chapter Text

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones
Subject: We are now safe on New Vulcan
Time arrived: 12/13/2260 00:00:01
Hey, Dad, we got here fine. Only Chris 3 got sick on the shuttle ride. Poor Pav lost a pair of shoes. His girlfriend was not amused, probably because she had to give Chris 3 an anti-nausea hypo.

Dad, you will also be happy to know that nobody passed out from heatstroke on the way to the VSA or grandfather's house. Although mom did reminisce about her childhood around various deserts. Although I have been told that New Vulcan is slightly more tempered than the original planet. This is more tempered? It’s worse than Atlanta in summer. I thought Atlanta in summer was god awful. It’s 10°C hotter, and it's not going to rain once during our entire three weeks here.

Thankfully, grandpa has central climate control. I don’t think the others staying on campus are going to have that. I am grateful we are at grandpa’s house, which he designed for humans. Anyway, we're going to have dinner and then go to sleep. We have a really big day tomorrow. I’m going to get to see a real version of Annie at the animal conservation center. It’s going to be so much fun.

Love you

PS: I promise to be on my best behavior and not cause an international incident.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/13/2260 00:00:01
Subject: greetings, from grandpa’s house

Hey, Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock. We made it safely here. Although I really regret that we couldn’t just all take the transporter. Chris 3 threw up because he got so sick, which was a little funny. Unfortunately, he threw up on Chekov’s shoes. His girlfriend was annoyed. Ashley 3 is OK with that because now she gets to buy her future stepdad new clothes. She has completely accepted that her crush is more into her aunt than her and will focus her energy on getting him to dress better.

Grandpa did inform us that there is a shopping district. It just opened a couple of months ago. Most of the stuff is prefab from off-planet, but the Vulcan textile industry is slowly coming back. He hopes Vulcan fashion will not be that far behind. On our free day, he’s planning to take us shopping. Is this the appropriate time to ask if I get an allowance? Because I would like to buy some stuff in the shopping district.

Grandpa mentioned the shopping trip during dinner. Which was very late because Nyota had to help check in the others before we could leave. Grandpa made sure that most of the foods were of earth origin. He didn’t want to scare me off until our third day, when we are scheduled to visit one of the farms responsible for providing food for the colony. He made for us his signature grilled cheese and tomato soup. This caused Josephine’s mom to start crying. Why would tomato soup and grilled cheese make her cry?

I’m not sure if I will write every day, but I will send pictures. But know that I’m safe here, especially with Annie by my side. She’s a very good pet. Grandpa says that she’ll keep the nightmares away. Nyota looked like she wanted to giggle and was trying not to when he said that.
XXXX
From: NyotaUM
To: Doctor_bones; Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/13/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’m so glad I’m just in charge of my own kids
Hey, sorry for writing you all in the same email but getting all the kids and science interns settled was exhausting. We did not get back to the ambassador’s house until 8 PM planet time which I think is midnight ship time.

I am also thankful that I will not be staying on campus. The shuttle ride was exhausting enough. Although Chris 3 was the only Enterprise kid that got sick, two of the interns did as well. How can you get motion sick after living on a starship for months? Thankfully nobody threw up on my shoes. However, I did have to help clean up because I was one of the responsible adults.

When I went to get cleaning supplies, I found Jay and Ashley 2 making out in the ship supply closet. We are all happy that Ashley's comfortable enough to engage in such activities after what that poor child had to deal with. But I really didn’t want to walk in on a nervous 16-year-old trying to figure out how to unfasten a bra in a really tight space. I promised not to tell their parents if they would agree to go on contraceptive hypos. Anyway, they are Gina's problem now.

Spock, your father's house is lovely. The pictures he has sent did not do it justice. It’s about twice the size it was when we were here last time. Actually, everything is more developed. It’s less like a temporary development and more like an actual city. Which is good. The shopping district opened a couple of months ago. We’re planning to go on our free day. I’m hoping to maybe pick up some presents.

Anyway, I have my meeting at the University tomorrow after dropping the kids off for their program. They’re going to the animal conservation center. Hopefully, all will go well.

I will send more updates as time allows.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear NyotaUM
Time sent: 12/13/2260 06:43:35
Subject: Re: I'm so glad I'm just in charge of my own kids
It's weird, we're in the same system, and I think there's about a 24-hour delay. Also, the emails are pushing at midnight like all outside messages. Starfleet email servers are weird. Although I now know why I have dozens of pictures of various children feeding various animals once indigenous to Vulcan.

I also would be very thankful for not being a chaperone. Although I am encouraged that Ashley 2 doesn’t have the intimacy issues I did due to my sexual assault. I couldn't even consider sex without being slightly drunk until Spock. Honestly, having them take contraceptive hypos is probably the best course of action. I prefer not to be the ship known for having teen pregnancies. At least now that Pav is now in his 20s. Are we taking bets on when he’s going to officially be a stepfather? It has to be serious if he volunteered for chaperone duty.

I got emails from Gina already. Chris 3 was even more of a dick than normal because he was embarrassed and let’s just say Jay refuses to share a room with him. Yes, I really hope Chris three’s mom goes somewhere far, far away from us. Although not the colony because I don’t want him going to school with my sister-in-law.

I have to ask, did grilled cheese actually make you cry? That’s OK because Peter's description made me cry, and Spock bear got a little misty-eyed. He claimed it was allergies. I’m the one in this marriage that is allergic to everything, not Spock bear. Universe forbids my husband actually acknowledges an emotion; my spouse can't do that. But he found it touching that his dad remembered his mom in this way. That must be one of the few earth dishes he knows how to cook. So you might need to take over food prep or see if there is an earth cuisine restaurant.

Are there any restaurants yet? There weren’t that many there when we were there last time. Although you just said it’s starting to look more like an actual city, so maybe they do. It would make sense if they already have a shopping district up and running. Apparently, there’s only one place to teach self-defense. They won't take my sister-in-law because of her "unfortunate heritage." That’s some next-level bullshit.

Anyway, good luck with your assignment. Rapid message me if anything goes wrong. Also, let Gina know that she can punish the interns if they do something truly stupid. Even though she's a civilian, she's one of their commanding officers right now. I will kick them all out if I have to. Spock seconds that. Actually, he'll be the one doing the kicking out. He's a good husband like that.
Xxx
From: Jim's_cuddlebear
To: Peter_K
cc: Spock' s_cuddlebunny;
Time sent: 12/13/2260 06:46:01
Subject: Re: Greetings, from grandpa's house

Thank you for writing to us. We appreciate it. James and I have decided we will take turns being the one to respond to you. Please note that he is providing me with feedback and reading everything you write to us.

My mother used to make me grilled cheese and tomato soup all the time. It was one of her best dishes. Nyota was aware this is one of my comfort foods, which may explain why she experienced an outburst of emotions. Please do not hold such a display against her.

James wanted me to inform you that, yes, you are receiving an allowance. Because of the circumstances of your mother’s passing, you are receiving a benefit payment from the Federation. Most of that money is going into a trust fund. However, we are providing you with 100 credits per month to spend as you please. You can access the funds from the banking app on your PADD.

Additional money will be added to your account when we visit starbases and planets where you’re allowed to spend money. This is one of those occasions. You have an additional 1000 credits to spend during your time on New Vulcan. If you need additional funds, please let us know. It is your money, and you should have access to it.

James did not want me to inform you that you are receiving money because of your mother's death because you may see it as blood money. I do not understand how any type of money could be bloodied, but I am sure it’s an earth colloquialism. Please note that if you prefer funds from a different source, we will always provide whatever you need. Including currency to buy presents or other souvenirs.

I hope you enjoyed your time at the animal conservation center. It looks highly probable because we already received images of you feeding an actual baby sehlat. What other activities did you get to do there? Did you find your experience enriching? We do want to know more about everything you are doing. Please write to us when you have time.

Xxx
From: Doctor bones
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Re: We are now safe on New Vulcan
Time sent: 12/13/2260 23:23:01

Hey, sweetie, thanks for writing.

There is a one-day delay on these emails, and the time difference on New Vulcan probably isn't helping things. I’m sorry I won’t get to write to you every day, but I am looking forward to hearing from you and your mom.

Yes, New Vulcan is worse than Atlanta in summer. There’s a reason why we didn’t want the Sulu wedding to take place there. Jim's wedding was enough. We are all very grateful he did not turn that into a destination wedding.

I'm glad you all got there safely. I heard one of your classmates threw up. Apparently, they were susceptible to motion sickness. This doesn't surprise me. I may have thrown up on your mom's shoes when we first met. It wasn't the best first meeting ever, but somehow she loves me anyway.

I want you to have a good time on the planet but be safe. Remember to listen to your mom and the doctor. The good news is the oxygen levels on New Vulcan are closer to Earth, so you won't need any medication to mitigate that. However, stay hydrated and wear your sunscreen at all times. Also, don’t try any foods you’re not familiar with without scanning them first.

 

Write me when you get a chance. I also expect lots of pictures. Actually, I’ve got some already because, like usual, images get here first. Maybe you should also avoid petting things with sharp claws. At least there’s only a one-day gap with these messages. Although I still think it is bizarre that they push at midnight.

Tell your mom that I miss you both and I will write her tomorrow after shift. I love you both. I'm going to sleep. I'm exhausted. There was an accident in engineering. I don’t want to talk about it. We have too many idiots on the ship.
To be continued…

Chapter 128: Day 296: The continuing adventures of the Enterprise kids on New Vulcan

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so wonderful. Please note that the kids have yet to read the replies written in the previous chapter. They haven’t arrived to New Vulcan yet. Sad face emoji.

Also, a quick reminder, I don’t write accents. In this chapter, we are going to get to read our first message from Pav. I have faith that by 2260 voice recognition software will be able to understand his accent perfectly and present his messages in standard basic. When it doesn’t, he just corrects everything by hand.

Chapter Text

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Subject: We are now safe on New Vulcan
Time arrived: 12/14/2260 00:00:01

Hey, Uncle Spock and Uncle Jim, I thought I would write to you today. It’s our first full day on the colony, and we began with visiting the wildlife sanctuary. I have pictures. We all got to feed an actual sehlat, not ones like Annie. Although Annie is the best. I also got to play with Saavik's robot sehlat as well. They’re so cuddly. Do you think my dad would let me get one? I mean, it’s not an actual living pet.

We actually learned a lot at the conservation center. It was really interesting. There are actually six pregnant sehlat presently. They are planning to do another round of implantation soon. That’s also not the only species that they’re trying to rebuild. The researchers are looking into seeing if there are any similar species around to increase genetic diversity within the population. Everything was so fascinating.

Tomorrow is plant life day. We are going to the New Vulcan Botanical Gardens and Plant Life Conservation Center. This is where they’re trying to genetically engineer various lost plant species. I love stuff like that. I’m sure Mr. Sulu is going to want lots of pictures.

Saavik is having fun with us. She enjoys that the only person who is a dick to her is Chris 3. But he seems like a dick to everybody. I think he is still bitter because we all took Chris one’s side. OK, he’s also cranky due to another allergic reaction today. Let’s just say I’m thankful that the interns are stuck at the VSA and don’t get to do cool things like us. I’m sure they have more dicks among their ranks.

OK, Chris three is also mad that we still have to do other assignments in between our field trips. We are still working on our current history unit, and he hates it. We'll have to do an independent research project. Sue gave me family text messages, social media posts, and emails from that time. Apparently, one of her ancestors was an amateur archivist and believed in preserving everything.

Also, did you know that Liz and Sue actually genetically share the same great-great-grandmother? I thought it was an adoption thing, but it’s not. They're actually distantly related. They both think it’s kind of cool.

 

We also have to do a special project on an aspect of New Vulcan culture that we hope to preserve. Before I forget, Uncle Spock, do you have any idea on what subject I could do my report on? I'm thinking of something food-related because we're going to the farm in a couple of days. After that, we’re also going to sit through a traditional ceremonial Vulcan dinner. Apparently, it's diplomat practice.

I also got to explore the house more today, and it is so big. You and Uncle Jim have your own bedroom set aside. There are also a bunch of musical instruments in there that I don’t quite recognize. One looks like a harp.

The only downside, really, is there’s no pool. Apparently, that would be extremely wasteful on a desert planet. Even though there is more water than what was on Vulcan. So we’re allow water showers but no pools. [Pouting emoji]

Anyway, Expect lots of pictures of the house and gardens. Write back when you have a chance.

Peter would write, but he’s having way too much fun taking pictures of everything. And cuddling with Annie. Again, Annie is the best.

Xxx
From: PC_Enterprise_2260
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: I’m never volunteering to be a chaperone again

Time arrived: 12/14/2260 00:00:01

I do not know why I thought it would be a good idea to volunteer to chaperone a group of teenagers and cadets. We’ve been on the planet one day, and we've already caught several trying to get their hands on “Vulcan headache medication” and cannabis tea. That's in addition to the underage sneaking in alcohol.

None of the actual Enterprise kids were involved, just the interns. Or at least we didn’t catch any of them. Which makes it worse because a few of them are actually my age. It’s moments like these I realize that Kevin's actually older than me, even though he's just doing his time on ship next semester.

I’m exhausted already, and I've had no personal time with my girlfriend. Yesterday, Olivia had to give an impromptu sexual health seminar to the actual Enterprise kids. Outside of Peter and Josephine, who were already on their way to the ambassador's house. Besides, they need a completely different version of the seminar, just being 12.

I won’t be spending any quality time with my girlfriend tonight because Chris 3 had an allergic reaction at the sanctuary. It didn’t help that a large animal that I cannot pronounce the name of tried to bite him because he was being an obnoxious brat. He refused to listen to anything we told him. You don’t touch animals you’re told not to touch. You definitely don’t throw things at them when they try to run away from you. Thankfully, he picked up something that made him break out in hives.

You knew me when I was 16. Did I act like that much of a brat back then? Was I ever that horrible or stupid?

Anyway, we're going to the botanical gardens tomorrow. I will take lots of pictures. I’m sure you're interested in seeing how much it's grown since you helped build it last time we were on the planet.
xxx
“Why are you laughing?” Sue asked as she passed him his orange juice.

“Because Pav is being hilarious.” He explained. “Apparently, they've already caught several getting into the Vulcan headache meds, and his girlfriend was forced to do a sex ed seminar for the Enterprise teenagers.

“That tracks. Per Gina's letter, they caught Jay and Ashley 2 about five seconds from losing clothing in a supply closet. I’m not surprised about the Vulcan headache medication. Was it the cadets or the teenagers?” Sue asked.

“Cadets. I think Jim really will ask your mom to raise the age minimum on cadets or at least cadets that they send for the semester program. Some of the Enterprise kids are older. Also, Pav just realized how young he really is compared to everyone else."

“I will back up that conversation. We had a couple of 15-year-old prodigies on the Hamilton before I left on maternity leave that I wanted to throttle. I don’t think it was all baby hormones.” He couldn’t help but laugh at that.

"They were just really that incompetent," Sulu added.

“I really hope they grow the fuck up before they’re on a ship for real. Also, age and maturity are two separate things.”

“You may have a point. In some ways, Pav is young, especially when you compare him to Kevin and Liz. But he also buried his sister.”

"I don't think it's fair to anybody to compare their maturity levels to Kevin and Liz. They are in a class by themselves." Sue told him, and he had to agree.
XXXX

From: SuluHG2260
To: PC_Enterprise_

Subject: Re: I'm never volunteering to be a chaperone again
Time arrived: 12/14/2260 07:14:01

You volunteered because you want your future stepdaughter to know that you actually care about her. Especially because she’s now trying to be OK with you dating her aunt. Just be thankful that Ashley 3 wasn't the one breaking into the Vulcan cannabis. Or the one making out with random people in supply closets.

Sex ed is very important. Make sure they all know that fertility lube actually exists. I love my daughter very much but raising a child during the five-year mission is intense. I regret not being there more. I’m missing both of my children growing up.

No, you weren't that bad when you were 16. But you were also a 16-year-old who just survived his parents' divorce and his sister's death. You weren't on the same level as many of your peers, which is how you ended up friends with somebody who's a decade older than you. Sue pointed out that there is a difference between age and actual maturity. You've dealt with a lot more in your life than others.

That being said, you know that you did some edibles that you shouldn't have when you were 16. You still have the best alcohol stash. Also, do you remember what happened on our first shore leave? I had to untie you from the headboard of our shared hotel room because your partner just left you there when he found out your real age.

Is your girlfriend's sex-ed curriculum going to include safe words? I feel like it should. Also, enthusiastic consent should be covered.

We’ve already got your pictures of the Vulcan botanical gardens and agricultural research center. I can’t believe it’s grown so much since we were there. Although I assume a bunch of the large trees have been transplanted from other planets? Or maybe some of its indigenous? I have so many questions. I wonder if we can go back to the gardens while we're on the planet?

Are you going back to Enterprise with the kids, or are you staying? I know the kids want to spend quality time with their uncle again.

Jim told me to remind Gina that she is allowed to expel cadets, and I will say the same thing to you. The Vulcan headache brownies are a violation of the drug policy. It’s only allowed during ceremonies and certain cultural activities. I don’t think this qualifies.

Anyway, hang in there. You will survive, and at least you weren’t around when the interim head of engineering accidentally blew up 10% of the place.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Re: We are now safe on New Vulcan
Time sent: 12/14/2260 21:32:01

 

Hey, we are glad to hear from you. Also, we’re happy to find out you’re enjoying your time learning about animal conservation. I think the sanctuary was the best first activity. The pictures were adorable. We also got photos from the gardens. Do I want to know why Chris 3 has a rash?

Yes, you would be dealing with more dicks if you were with the cadets. I've heard stories about some of the shenanigans with the cadets. I think some of them made Gina cry, and Pav is questioning his life choices per Sulu. He’s running into that thing when he realizes he’s actually like 20 years older than his own age group. This explains the older girlfriend and BFF. He’s somewhere in between Kevin and Liz, who are psychologically way too old to be in their early 20s, and the cadets that make me question how they got into Starfleet in the first place. Was the battle of Vulcan so catastrophic to recruitment levels, that we just had to lower our standards completely? Please don’t do stupid stuff like that when you finally hit your teenage years.

I'm so sorry there is no pool. Although there are pools at the space station. So when we go to the wedding, you can swim to your heart is content. We could also have an actual shore leave after New Vulcan. Maybe in February. We might need to do some renovations to Enterprise. There was an incident in engineering while you were gone. I don’t want to talk about it.

Spock actually suggests music for your Vulcan culture project. He’s also sad in a very Vulcan way that you can’t recognize that musical instrument in our room. Although he is amused that his father picked one up for him. Vulcans prefer instrumental and more classical arrangements.

I’m aware that Vulcan society is trying to recover the science part of the culture but have they actually recovered the culture part yet? Are there concerts and poultry readings? Pre-implosion, there actually was a Vulcan equivalent of Shakespeare in the Park. Have they gotten that back yet? I feel like the answer is no.

It takes time to rebuild after such a cataclysmic event. You probably see that with your study of the great pandemic. And it was only a few decades after the eugenic wars which made things worse. It’s similar right now. It’s hard to rebuild after something so cataclysmic. But you have no choice but to do so.

Anyway, what's next on your itinerary? Are you beginning the classroom portion at the Academy? I feel like that portion is going to be significantly less fun.
Tell Peter he’s off the hook. Pictures count as communications. Especially since there are so many of him hugging his grandfather. That is so adorable.

Let’s see how this ship does with Annie on board. Then we can talk about more Enterprise pets. That comes from Spock, and he’s the one you really have to convince. It’s his ship.

xxx
From: Doctor_bones
To: NyotaUM
Time sent: 12/14/2260 21:43:12
Subject: I’m so glad I’m just in charge of my own kids

A starship is different than a shuttle. You probably don’t remember how sick I got on our trip to Starfleet together. Otherwise, you would've never dated me. I think I ruined both your and Jim's shoes. Yet, we still ended up best friends. There are days I regret that decision but not right now. We’re having dinner together tomorrow. They don’t want me to eat alone.

I will acknowledge it’s very lonely without you and JoJo. The apartment is way too quiet. Also, we're down the doctor, so I had to work an extra two hours. I’m exhausted. Thankfully nobody did anything extra stupid today. Yesterday was, unfortunately, a different story, and we are still dealing with the fallout from the engineering incident.

I think you’re taking the right approach. You can’t tell a 16-year-old not to do something. They just need to be safe. Although I believe both will take their time. I love my daughter, but I don't want either of them to turn out like me.

Anyway, how’s work going? Probably better than what’s happening here. I miss you, and I can't wait for you to be back on the ship.

To be continued…

Chapter 129: Day 297: Greetings from An Undisclosed Ship

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so lovely. I’m so sorry I did not post this weekend. I was at a comic book convention. I got to see George Takei once again. He is lovely as always. Of course, I dressed up as a Starfleet officer. I even got to do an in-person meet-up with other Star Trek fans. It was nice to be at a convention again.

As mentioned previously, I realized with the kids being on New Vulcan, we will be breaking the series' rules a teeny bit. Normally you only see messages to and from the ship. I think the only other time we broke that rule was when we were in Yorktown. But this is a similar situation. I've decided that you will not see the emails written by the kids until they arrive on Enterprise. But you will see the kids' messages as they are being written for people not on the Enterprise. That’s what’s happening in this chapter. It’s the only way I can keep things straight.

The alternate title for this series could be tales from the Enterprise email server. Actually, Epitaphs from Enterprise was going to be a subtitle for a while, but I decided against it. I like Make It up As I Go better as the subtitle anyway. At least it keeps up the music theme from the first two stories.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Peter_K
cc: Kevin KR
Time arrived: 12/15/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from An Undisclosed Ship
Greetings from an undisclosed ship. I know what ship I am on, but I’m not allowed to tell you. This might actually get to you a little late because it won't go directly to your ship. Starfleet security is weird.

I am severely disappointed that I am the one who you asked about the Kobayashi Maru. Did your uncles not tell you how they met? Or maybe they’re afraid to. I feel that as your aunt, I must tell you the story. It’s kind of adorable. By now, I’m sure you know that I successfully passed the Kobayashi Maru and was the first person to do so outside of your Uncle Jim. The difference is the version of the test I took gave you a chance in hell.

The original version of the Kobayashi Maru was unbeatable. There was no chance in hell of succeeding. It was supposed to examine how cadets dealt with failure. In hindsight, it really did put people in a mindset where there is no way out. Which can be dangerous. That is why when my mom took over, she changed it. So, there is at least a chance of hell of surviving. As somebody who went through Tarsus, I truly appreciate that.

Okay, my mom also felt that it would be more useful if the Kobayashi Maru was now a class where you looked at great Starfleet failures and learn from those mistakes. I'm willing to acknowledge that maybe I got more out of the course than uncle Jim did, but that's not something that my exhausted self wants to discuss right now.

So your Uncle Jim took the original version of the test. However, your uncle is a Kirk. After surviving the chaos that was Frank, Jim Kirk doesn’t believe in a hopeless situation that you couldn’t get out of. Why? Because he got out of a hopeless situation. So if the situation is hopeless, what do you do? You change the parameters, of course.

How did Jim change the parameters? Well, per Kevin, he managed to recruit or possibly seduce Nyota’s friend Gaila. Rumor has it that Jim seduced her, but recruit is probably more accurate. Your uncle alleged player reputation was much more rumor than actuality. People see what they want to see. Anyway, Jim used Gaila to introduce a new subroutine to the test and beat the stupid thing. Your future Uncle Spock was pissed in a very Vulcan way. It probably didn’t help that Jim was an arrogant asshole and was eating an apple the entire time. You have to see it for yourself. I got mom to give me permission to send you the video of the test and security cam footage of Spock's reaction.

Anyway, your future uncle decided that Jim obviously cheated because his test was so unwinnable. BTW it actually wasn’t. This was the second version. Apparently, Spock beat the first one, which is actually the version I took. Anyway, Spock took your Uncle Jim to Judiciaries. They met the first time arguing their case in front of your Uncle Jim’s entire class.

I’ve also included a video file of that. Although I will warn you now, your Uncle Spock was a bit of a dick during the hearing and mentioned your grandfather, George. I know for a fact he apologized for what he did. Unfortunately, they are idiots and were possibly engaging in pulling pigtail syndrome. Anyway, before they could strangle and/or start making out, everyone was made aware of the Vulcan distress call. The rest is history.

If you want to know more, ask your uncles. Although, really you should've heard the "how I met your uncle" story from Jim. They were adorable and hopeless simultaneously. So hopeless.

So good news, we are now on our way to see you. Bad news I'm still taking final exams from a starship. I am required to watch the videos of everybody else going through the Kobayashi Maru and write up notes on their performance. Because, of course, I can't get out of that requirement for the class. That would be abusing my privilege as the daughter of the head of Starfleet. We can’t give the impression that it is happening.

Thankfully my mom, Ben, and Winona have been watching baby D while we are focusing on school work. I really don’t want to keep analyzing everyone else’s Kobayashi Maru performance. Especially because I have to keep writing that the participants did badly on the Kobayashi Maru because they were expecting to fail. I don't know if Nyota's mom will accept that. We are just going to have to see if that comment is acceptable.

Once I get done with finals, we will be making our first stop on this trip—surprise ship inspection. I think I'm actually going to function as an officer and not a hanger-on. Tomorrow I will have a couple of classified briefings to bring me up to speed on what’s really going on. Although I doubt I'm going to find out everything. I know my mom is keeping some secrets.

I’m glad you’re making friends. Chris 2 sounds wonderful, along with Chris 1. I’ve heard other things about Chris 3, so two out of three is not bad.

My sister and Gina have been friends for a very long time. Even though they are currently having a rough patch, I know they will eventually get through it. I think Gina is just wary because my sister doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to significant others. Let’s just say I am perfectly happy with her current arrangement because I like Sulu and his fiancé. Trust me, this is like the best we can hope for. I feel like my sister has different emotional needs than other people, and this works for her. What other people think doesn’t matter.

When Winona came to San Francisco a couple of days before we left, we went through your mother's belongings that we brought to San Francisco. We had to consolidate things and put everything in the family Starfleet locker. There’s like a whole Kirk section right now. We are bringing you a bunch of your best Lego sets.

I also found a very adorable teddy bear. Kevin remembered seeing something almost identical in a picture of your dad and Jim. We then wondered if it was the same teddy bear. We asked Winona, and she burst into tears. So we are 99% sure that your bear was your dad’s. Therefore the bear is coming with us. You're never too old for a good teddy bear.

We are also bringing you some of the best items from Sam’s action figure collection. Ben thinks we should keep them in storage and in their preservation boxes. Kevin is of the mind that you should at least have them. If you want to keep them on display, they should at least be with you. So we're going with the Kevin approach.

We are also bringing some choice cuts from Sam’s comic book collection. Some things that aren’t available digitally. There’s also a few things of your mom that we thought you would like, such as a couple of jewelry pieces. Of course, we grabbed all the pictures we could find. I'm sure you want these mementos.

We thought you would maybe be interested in some other stuff, but we couldn't bring everything. We took pictures, and Winona said she will ship anything you want to Enterprise or bring it when she comes to the wedding in June. Although if we brought you everything, Uncle Jim might have to get a larger set of rooms. Honestly, they probably need a larger set of rooms. The captain’s quarters weren't designed for a command team of the same rank with a kid. It’s a unique situation.

Your Uncle Jim is still a Starfleet captain. It is just Jim and Spock are encountering the two bodies' problem; this happens to professional couples a lot. So, your Uncle Jim is working at a position that’s slightly lower than what his rank demands because he wants to stay with his husband. Since he skipped over being a first officer and went straight to Captain, he’s actually enjoying getting to take this step back and go over all the things he missed the first time around.

If I am doing the math right, you are either preparing to leave for your two weeks on the colony without parental supervision, or you’re already on the planet. I’m really not sure how fast these letters are arriving. I know there were some delays previously.

If you are on the planet, how do you like it so far? How are the other kids doing? Are you enjoying time with your grandfather? I never really got that growing up. All my grandfathers were either dead or not on speaking terms with my parents. There’s a lot of trauma there that will eventually have to be worked through, but not today.

Anyway, the toddlers say hi. So does Kevin. He would write you a few lines, but he’s also buried under essays right now. We could be learning about the ship, but instead, we are doing homework. Homework is miserable. Hopefully, it will be over soon.
Anyway, we will see you soon.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Elizabeth_Chen
cc: Kevin KR
Time sent: 12/15/2260 07:04:01
Subject: Re: Greetings from An Undisclosed Ship

Homework is always miserable, and it’s worse when you have fun things you rather be doing. We're working on many assignments, even though this is supposed to be a little vacation. Gina says it’s an educational vacation. Reyes Junior said that was an oxymoron. I completely agree. I don’t want to be working on a research project about the rise of anti-Asian racism during the great pandemic and the parallels to increases in xenophobic behavior post battle of Vulcan. Not on vacation, at least. Yet, I’m up way too early this morning already doing research.

Obviously, we are on the planet. We have been for a few days. At least long enough that I managed to get a response to my email from Uncle Jim and Uncle Spock, even though Uncle Spock was the dictator. It came through at midnight. I’ll respond later.

I now have so many questions about how Uncle Jim and Spock got together. I never got that much of the story before. I knew that their first meeting involved Uncle Jim ending up in Judiciaries. I didn't realize that was tied to the Kobayashi Maru exam. I didn’t even know what that was until the picture of you carrying Desi showed up. Uncle Jim and Spock explained everything, including the years it took Spock to develop the test. Although Jim did not mention the subroutine thing. Although thinking back to that conversation, I think he was about to mention it, but Spock gave him a death glare with a double Vulcan eyebrow raise. That’s never a good sign.

So, on our first day on New Vulcan, we got to go to the Animal Conservation Center. I sent you pictures of me petting the real live version of Annie. Oh, grandpa got me a robot pet. I think the real ones are a little cuter, but I adore Annie. I'm happy I could have a pet. Mom always said no. Uncle Spock said yes because he thinks it will teach me responsibility. He programmed Annie to behave like a real sehlat, so I will get the full experience.

So Annie's my new teddy bear, but I don't mind having the old one back. I didn't know DD belonged to my dad. That's good to know. Thank you for bringing her and everything else to me.

On our second day, we went to the Conservation Center for plant life. The first half was boring. We mostly learned about the genetic engineering techniques used to replicate an extinct plant species. The second half was better when we got to tour the gardens. I’ve always loved plants. It was really beautiful.

Today we are touring the farmlands. Chris 1 is looking forward to our day-long discussion about Vulcan agriculture and debating the pros and cons of genetically modified food organisms. I am not. I did spend some of my formative years in Iowa. I know more about corn than I ever really wanted to. I don’t know if I want to learn more about the Vulcan species and their efforts to re-create it. Or being forced to grow earth crops in the meantime. Yesterday was enough of that for a lifetime.

Although on the upside, we were supposed to spend the afternoon learning about Vulcan food and do some tastings. Followed by a formal dinner. Good thing I like vegetarian cuisine and was mostly used to it because of colony life. Although I occasionally eat synthetic meat on Enterprise. Fingers crossed, I don’t discover any new food allergies. Ashley three’s aunt is worried I’m just like my uncle and will break out at any time.

 

However, I'm not the one discovering new allergies. Chris 3 has already found two new allergies. He’s broken out in rashes twice. Honestly, I’m not that upset about it. So, Chris 3 is a dick. He is also a complete bastard and very xenophobic. That’s on top of the way he treats Chris 1. So we’re already counting down until his mom’s next assignment in August. Maybe just maybe, she’ll have to leave early when we do the break for the wedding, fingers crossed. Everyone else's parents are definitely planning to stay, though. I'm happy about that.

Oh, before I forget, I did send you pictures from yesterday at the gardens. I’m 90% sure Ashley 2 managed to procure some Vulcan headache medication when the adults were distracted by the cadets. Although honestly, Ashley 3 kind of needs something. We’re currently taking bets on when her aunt and her boyfriend will be getting engaged. They are so ridiculous.

I promise I won't try any, though. Jim already gave me the be careful with drugs and alcohol because your grandma is an alcoholic speech. He then said we could discuss Vulcan headache medication when I turn 18.

Normally, I would say write back when you get a chance. Although I have this feeling that you're probably going to get this email after you arrive. Anyway, I look forward to seeing you soon.

To be continued…

Chapter 130: Day 298: Greetings from the Vulcan Farmlands

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so wonderful. Remember that these emails were written the day before, but they did not arrive on Enterprise until after midnight. Yes, the server is annoying.

Also, this might be one of the longer chapters in the story. I am not apologizing for that.

Chapter Text

From: NyotaUM
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/16/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Of course, the emails are acting weird

Hey, Jim, I am not surprised that the emails are not pushing until one second after midnight. That makes total sense for the ridiculousness that is the Starfleet email server after the Vengeance Fuck up. Rapid messages are no longer the default when planetside. But with us being so close, I assumed that this would still be treated as internal ship communications. Regardless, I will try not to be offended if I’m not getting speedy replies. If things go badly, I promise we will send up an emergency message.

Yes, there are restaurants. I’m going with Gina tonight to one because she needs some time away from the kids. They’re doing an etiquette dinner. It’s a requirement for the Enterprise kids but optional for the science cadets.

Although I would love to try indigenous Vulcan cuisine, I plan to enjoy it without children or baby cadets present. Apparently, we're going somewhere where they have Vulcan cannabis-infused teas and other drinks. I will not partake, but Gina probably will because the kids have been a little much. Not the Enterprise kids (outside of Chris three) but the science interns. The rest of the chaperones are taking bets if someone will get kicked out of Starfleet before the end of the trip. Gina has already confiscated a lot of Vulcan headache edibles. Is it so hard to understand no drugs/alcohol while under 18 or while working? Or for the cadets that this is not a shore leave but still on-duty time? Apparently so.

Things are going better at the Vulcan Science Academy than I thought they would. I like the work I’m doing. Also, none of my coworkers are horrible. We are already coming up with some ideas to streamline the process. I also think I will send Candace down from my communications team to work on the project after I return to the ship. At least until we are out of the system. I already sent a formal request to Spock and my supervisor here. I’m waiting for word back from them, but if you can convince your spouse to sign on the dotted line, I will adore you forever.

So how are you dealing with Peter not being there right now? Even I am having trouble sending my child off to various New Vulcan locations, and I get to see my kid every night. At least for now, I’m sure I will be a crying mess when I have to go back to the ship to watch over things while you and Spock play the diplomatic happy couple. I am deeply regretting that I won’t get to see you play diplomatic spouse. I feel like that would be a golden blackmail opportunity.

Anyway, my break is over so I will write to you later.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/16/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from the Vulcan Farmlands

It’s okay that you and Uncle Jim are taking turns responding. I don’t think he would've told me that I'm receiving a death benefit from my mom. Uncle Jim seems touchy about that. I know he doesn’t like to think about any of the money he received from his father dying.

I’m not sure how to explain the concept of blood money to somebody who isn’t from earth originally. I guess it would be money that comes to you by unfortunate circumstances. Such as getting a huge insurance settlement because you got hurt in an accident or, in this case, having a trust fund because your mom died while working. Trust me, I would much rather have my mom than any amount of money. But at the same time, at least I know I’m provided for.

Yes, I did get to feed a baby sehlat. I also got to learn about all the other conservation efforts. They're trying to look for genetically similar animals that might be able to carry sehlat to term so that they can increase the population. They will also have to worry about genetic variation to ensure that they don’t become extremely inbred. However, they were able to get 75 sehlat and the genetic material of many more for the Conservation Center. So, they believe that they will have enough genetic variety to keep the species healthy and viable.

They’re hoping to do that with several other species being cared for at the Animal Conservation Center. They're currently trying to rebuild the populations of 25 different species once indigenous to Vulcan. With plans to work on at least 30 more. It’s a lot of work, but they are hopeful that within the next 15 years, they will be able to release some of these animals back into the wild. I’m thankful not everything was lost. It would be horrible if Sehlat ended up like Whales or polar bears.

Yesterday we went to the New Vulcan Botanical Gardens. They're trying to cultivate a lot of native Vulcan species. Some they were able to grow through seeds or cuts that were on other planets. They are also trying to re-create some of the lost plant life through genetic engineering. I wasn’t really paying attention to that part of the lecture, so I don't remember what specifically.

Honestly, I preferred spending time in the gardens instead of lectures on scientific techniques. The flowers were so beautiful. We learned that on Vulcan of old, there were different climates besides the desert. The botanical gardens are trying to re-create these environments in different sections of the garden along with the appropriate plant life. Again, it's really pretty.

Today we went to a farm. As somebody who spent part of their childhood in Iowa, I wasn't that excited. Especially because there were no animals on the farm. Chris 3 had an allergic reaction to Vulcan corn. He’s now slightly purple. Gina glared at me for laughing even though she was trying not to giggle herself. Nobody likes him.

Your sister has been having a great time hanging out with us. She absolutely loves learning about her culture. She says she is learning more with us on these trips than she ever did in the learning pods. I agree. I really wish we didn’t have to spend three hours this morning learning about genetically modifying corn to be more like the original Vulcan product.

Oh, I got a letter from Liz. She told me the story of how you and Uncle Jim managed to get together, but I feel like she left some important details out. Apparently, your meet-cute involved the Kobayashi Maru and you bringing Uncle Jim up on academic dishonesty charges. She also mentioned that people were taking bets on if you would strangle each other or start kissing. I personally would have gone with kissing. I’m 12, and I could pick up on the sexual tension in the video. Actually, so can your father. I don't know what he said when he watched the video, but it made Nyota giggle.

Anyway, I have to get ready for tonight. After surviving today’s day on the farm, complete with food sampling, we now have a Vulcan etiquette dinner. Good news we are going to be allowed to try cuisine from the entire Vulcan diaspora. Bad news, we’re going to have to learn proper diplomatic etiquette.

Honestly, I think Gina has wanted to do this for a while. Actually, I think this lesson might be for Josephine and me because we have to go with you to the formal banquet on the 23rd. Saavik already knows diplomatic etiquette because she’s had to go on a few dinners with grandpa. This feels cruel and unusual.

He will be with us at the dinner. He is the main chaperone since Josephine's mom and Gina decided to dine elsewhere. I think she just wanted a break from the cadets. I don’t blame her at all.
Xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones
Subject: I promise I’m doing well on New Vulcan
Time arrived: 12/16/2260 00:00:01

Hey Dad:

Mom completely understands you being exhausted and only writing to one of us. She also read the email over my shoulder because I let her. She promises she’s not backsliding or breaking Uncle Spock and Jim’s rules about reading other people’s correspondence without permission. Do you know why my mom will end up in serious trouble if she tries to break into my diary or read my emails?

Since she read the letter with me, it was like you wrote to both of us. However, she’s looking forward to your letter. She is sure that it will get pushed to her pad about midnight tonight. She has been back-and-forth on rapid messaging with her team, trying to figure out why messages are getting treated like outside messages, not internal Starfleet communications. Those messages are going back and forth at an almost normal speed. They think it is some weird Starfleet coding thing. She will figure this out. Mom is on a mission.

So we just spent quality time at one of the nearby farms this morning. Today Chris three found out Vulcan corn really hates him. Because of this, he will not be attending our etiquette/training dinner. He is such a dick. Sorry, that’s the only word that I can use to explain his behavior. There are a few other words, but those are expletives as well. He hasn’t gone full-blown Jeremy, but that requires puppy murder.

 

The farming operations here are huge. I don’t think we'll have to worry about a famine. Possibly because of the Tarsus genocide, they’re taken great pains to avoid fungi and other things that could kill crops. They’re also concentrating on plant diversity. They’re also not depending on just one farm. There are several others, including some that are a few hundred kilometers away from the city. If that goes well, they will start building another settlement within the next 10 years. There’s a lot of effort going into really rebuilding the new colony and the Vulcan society.

Peter is looking forward to dinner itself but not the etiquette portion of the evening. Chris two and Jay feel the same way. They’re mad because we’re going to have to learn proper event etiquette. I am excited to learn about traditional Vulcan cuisine. Although I can understand being upset about the dinner becoming an educational exercise.

Mom isn’t going to be there. She’s going out to dinner with Gina. I think Gina is done with the cadets. And is just exhausted with us. Grandpa is in charge, along with Pav. The interns who opted not to come to the dinner are on their own because the doctor is too busy taking care of Chris 3. This is probably a mistake, but I think Gina was giving them all enough rope to hang themselves. I think she has something planned.
XXXX

From: Spock's cuddlebunny
To: NyotaUM
Time sent: 12/16/2260 12:19:21
Subject: Re: Of course, the emails are acting weird

It's great to know that we will have to go over the on-duty drug policy with the interns again, especially the underage interns. Also, given the reason that Spock is in emergency meetings today with Gina, we probably need to go over the sexual misconduct policy. I’m not even surprised. I expected the Ashleys to pick up some Vulcan cannabis, but I think they got all of that out of their system early on. Or they’ve gotten much better at not getting caught. No, you can’t look at their personal communications to see if they're up to normal teenage shenanigans.

When they’re 18 and not on my ship, they can do whatever they want. But they have a few more years. However, let’s just concentrate on nobody getting pregnant or being manipulated into doing things they don’t want to do. The Vulcan cannabis will do significantly less damage. Although let’s do keep them away from the liquor.

Gina's been emailing me too but on the work account. I wonder if I need to give her my personal email address because there was a lot of cursing there. Although, like you hypothesize, the work emails are getting here a lot faster. Almost in real-time.

Apparently, we don’t pay Gina enough to babysit actual potential Starfleet officers who should know better. Spock entirely agrees with that. If anybody deserves a Vulcan cannabis-infused beverage, it’s Gina right now. At least she won’t have to deal with a hangover.

Although considering she caught three different cadets at the bar you were going to, I don't think she actually got to enjoy that drink. They’re the reason why we’re going to have to go over the drug policy again. Seriously, no more underage cadets. Nope. Like seriously, did they think they were going to get served at a Vulcan bar? Spock bear says the minimum age for cannabis tea is 18. That’s different than the Vulcan headache version of the herb. Also, they have a children’s version.

And that’s actually not even the worst thing that happened yesterday. You probably know, and if you don’t, I can’t tell you. But I am pissed and thankful it wasn’t Ashley 2. Let’s just let her have her teen romance with Jay. It’s good for her. Regardless we’re scheduling sexual misconduct training sessions when everybody gets back.

I also got an email from the good Doctor on the work account. Apparently, Chris 3 is trying to take my crown as the person with the most allergies on Enterprise. She is convinced that the whole planet hates him. Maybe it realized he is a bigot and is reacting accordingly. Even I am not allergic to corn. Well, Vulcan corn, apparently earth corn he’s fine with.

Again, I think the planet just knows he’s an asshole. Per Spock, the animal that almost bit him is really good at picking up moods and energy. Spock almost laughed in public when he found out that Chris 3 almost got bit by one. Do you know how much of a dick you have to be to get one of those soft fluffy creatures to bite you? Well, actually, you might if you’ve seen the video.

Spock already approved your request. He actually would like more officers on the planet while we're here. However, the powers that be want us to focus on the other project because it is very important to the colonies' development. They'll be more officers coming since there is now a permanent Starfleet facility on the planet.

So how is high new Vulcan cuisine? Did you actually get to eat anything before Gina had to escort the baby cadets back to the dorms? How is the shopping district in general? I wouldn’t mind taking Spock on a date night if we have a free night. We haven’t had one for almost a year. We were so busy that we pretty much didn’t go out for the last month before the start of the five-year mission. Now we have a kid.

Your boyfriend really misses you. He has a standing invitation to have dinner with us. That way, we can make sure he doesn’t work himself to death. He’s going back into sad bachelor mode again. I remember this mode from when we were roommates at the Academy. I hate it when Leonard is sad like this. But it also makes me realize how good you have been for him and how much of a positive effect you have had on his life. You are literally one of the best things that have ever happened to him. He absolutely adores you.

Spock misses you as well. Sorry, he can’t write today because we’re dealing with some fallout from something that happened in engineering in addition to some cadet discipline issues. (Normally, it would be me handling it, but Spock is worried it could be a trigger, so he’s doing it. It’s a completely different situation, so I don’t think it would be, but he’s being such a sweetie pie.) So, we have a new interim head of engineering. The other one is being fitted with a prosthesis. The silver lining, we might have to have a shore leave in February to do some renovations and repair work. We can’t do it here while near New Vulcan because they don’t have the facilities yet. Spock is working things out with command. This is one of those moments where I’m glad that’s not my job anymore.

Anyway, I hope things go better. I also hope you make it to a Vulcan Tea bar eventually. I’m sure you need a nice cup.
XXXX
From: Doctor bones
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Re: I promise I’m doing well on New Vulcan
time sent: 12/16/2260 21:23:01
I’m glad to know your mom is not backsliding. It’s probably best that you don't know why your mom would get into serious trouble and be sent away from us if she started reading other people's emails again. Let’s just say it’s related to how your idiot uncles got together. Privacy was violated, and somebody was rightfully upset and got his vengeance. It all worked out in the end, though, so don’t worry about it.

Unfortunately, new allergies can show up at any time. It wouldn’t surprise me if the kid was allergic to the planet. Although now I’m going to have to pre-drug your uncle Jim before we land just to be cautious. I could see him suddenly developing an allergy to the various Vulcan plants. Honestly, I’m just glad you’re not the one reacting. I don’t want you to get sick down there.

I would tell you to be careful at dinner, but you’re not going to see this until after the fact, so I won't. I assume you were safe because Jim only got rapid messages about the Interns sneaking off to Vulcan ‘tea’ bars. I am sure the good doctor would have rapid messaged if you had an allergic reaction. I have received none of those messages from her. Although there were a few about the cadets. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose what was said in those messages.

I'm not your biological mother. I really don't care if you call somebody a dick, especially because they are one. It is important that you speak your mind. Although your mom can teach you a whole range of curse words you can use in various languages, she's very good at that. I know a lot of Romulan curse words now. Although you probably shouldn’t say most of them around Spock’s baby sister. Actually, Vulcans, in general, might be a little more sensitive about that thing.

I got a few pictures from your dinner as well. You look adorable in your formal dress robes. Where did you get formal dress robes? I blame Spock’s father. You look good, though. I’m glad you’re having fun.
Although I do miss you. I’m looking forward to when you’ll be back in the new year. Until then, stay safe and keep sending me pictures.
Xxxxx
From: Spock's_cuddlebunny
To: Peter_K
cc: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sent: 12/16/2260 22:12:13
Subject: Re: Greetings from the Vulcan Farmlands

Hey, it’s your uncle Jim writing this time. Spock is in a deep space meeting with the higher-ups at the moment. However, he wanted me to tell you that he also feels that no amount of money could make up for losing his mother. So he gets your definition.

Oh, God. I can’t believe Liz actually sent you that video, and my father-in-law watched. I’m actually really embarrassed. Yeah, bad decisions were made on all sides. That might be part of the reason why I didn’t tell you exactly how we first met. We screwed up. I still don’t know how we got together. We made so many mistakes during the first week of our acquaintance, including accidental Vulcan marriage.

Do not let any preteen Vulcan get into your mind, no matter how cute they are. Also, no touching of hands. I think that was covered during your Vulcan culture classes but let me stress the importance of not touching hands. When I hold your uncle’s hand, in his culture, we’re making out. Thankfully your uncle respects both human and Vulcan cultural norms in that regard. It’s really why I adore him so much. Also, on that point, don’t play chess either. I have stories.

When you get back, we will tell you the full story of how we got together, including nonconsensual strangling, unintentional sending of emails, and unauthorized reading of said messages by a certain aunt of yours. Again, mistakes were made on so many sides. I’m surprised we actually made it to marriage, quite honestly. But apparently, this isn’t the timeline where I managed to completely screw things over.

We got your pictures from your exercise in cultural decorum. I didn’t see a food fight breaking out in any of them, so I’m hopeful. But it probably helped that Chris 3 did not attend due to his allergies and the planet possibly hating him. I’m looking forward to losing my most likely to have an allergic reaction crown. Although mostly, I’m just grateful you're not the one picking it up. I was really worried about you getting sick on the planet. But I am glad things are going so well so far.

I know that you’re going to have some in-class activities at the science academy for a few days. Unfortunately for you, it will involve more going over experiments. I’m picking up that you only like to do science with Spock. Although I think you have at least two more days at the Vulcan Cultural Center soon. I cannot remember your entire itinerary. Plus, I think your grandfather has some extra activities for the week when you’ll be there without the other kids.

Anyway, keep sending us pictures right back when you can. We miss you. We can’t wait until the 22nd once we are there with you. I think your Uncle Spock wants to actually go back to the animal sanctuary because he really wants to pet a sehlat. So, do I, for that matter. I will have it added to our schedule. Our schedule’s already full, but we will make time. Anyway, we’ll see you soon and keep sending pictures.

To be continued…

Chapter 131: Day 299: I really do think Starfleet is reading our messages.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely fabulous.

Content warning: continuing allusions to a dubious consent/statutory rape situation.

Chapter Text

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/17/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I look forward to seeing you soon
Wow, it did take a while for this to get to me. I spoke with your father today, and the kids arrived safely on the planet yesterday. We’re having dinner together on their free day later this week. I feel bad that I am meeting Peter without you but, sorry, I can’t wait that long.

Your father-in-law told me he enjoyed his time with the kids as well as his visit with you and Spock. I heard nothing but good things about his trip to Enterprise. He even sent me pictures because he is the ultimate proud daddy showing off his son's ship and adopted child. I'm used to Vulcan bragging after being on New Vulcan for a while, but your father-in-law took it to a new level. He is very proud of Spock.

Apparently, you and Spock even provided him with a possible solution to his problem with the New Vulcan public school system. I can’t say if the prejudice levels are better or worse than when Spock was a child, but there's definitely anti-Romulan prejudice. A child who is part Romulan is going to have a target on their back. I think Savik would benefit from being at the International school. She might make friends there. If your father-in-law decides to become an active diplomat again, it will prepare her for that.

So, I hear you’re arriving on December 22. I’ve been invited to the dedication ceremony on the 23rd. The ambassador has also invited me over to his house for a special dinner on the 25th. Apparently, we are to partake in Amanda’s favorite wintertime activity of making gingerbread houses. I’ll make some royal icing. I don’t think I can screw that up too much. You’re well aware my wife was the baker in the family. But I always made icing.

Since you’ll be on the colony for a week, let's try to schedule a dinner at my place. If you have the time, of course. I understand if you’re too busy, but there are some things I think we should probably talk about in person. During your time on New Vulcan, are you on the clock, or is this vacation time?

At least it won’t be for a wedding. I am sad, I will be missing another wedding. Although please give my best wishes to the Sulu family. I wish them peace after everything that’s happened recently. It’s probably best to have it somewhere not as hot or so soon after such a traumatic event.

Pack for the desert. Especially if it is a vacation and you get to wear civilian attire. Actually, you should probably pick up some of the local apparel. It looks a little strange, but it cuts down on the heatstroke. It’s sweltering right now. I hope all the kids packed lots of sunscreen and will be allowed to wear appropriate civilian attire. Otherwise, they’re going to be burnt to a crisp when we meet up on their free day. I’m still learning how to deal with the heat, but I know how to dress for it. Having the new shopping district helps.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to your time here.

PS: I’ve heard some interesting stories from your father-in-law about the science program cadets. Have you reconsidered your stance on talking to your brother’s mother-in-law about raising the minimum age for cadets on ship?
X
From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/17/2260 00:00:01
Subject: We must have tea together

I hope your free day went well. We all need to relax from time to time. There are some Vulcan teas that I think you would find very relaxing. Some of which you can use during work hours and are now available on the colony.

I heard from Sarak that they have returned from Enterprise with Peter and Josephine. I’ve been invited to a dinner with the children at one of the new restaurants open in the shopping district. I am looking forward to the dinner. I was also invited to the house on December 25 to make gingerbread houses in honor of Amanda. I’ve been informed that supplies would be brought in from the visitors. I have fond memories of doing this with her and my siblings as a child.

Is Winona coming with the others? It would be good to see her even if she doesn’t know me. I am glad to hear that she is doing well in treatment. After losing someone you love very much, it is difficult to move on. Especially when you lose them under extraordinary circumstances. But your mother is a very strong woman. I feel like that is a universal constant from what I heard from you and Dr. Suarez. Sometimes it takes time to recover, but I believe that she will. Moving to London is just another step in that.

Who else is coming? My father is not the most forthcoming individual. Apparently, I don't have the clearance to know everything.

What will your schedule be like? Would you have time to have tea? Maybe on the 26? Just us if possible. I’m sure my counterpart will be so extremely busy. This way, I can help you pick out those teas to help you relax.

Xxxxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez

Time sent: 12/17/2260 22:23:01
Subject: RE: I look forward to seeing you soon

Now I’m convinced that Starfleet is looking over these messages. I’ve gotten several messages from the kids who are also on New Vulcan in the time I’ve got in yours. If I’m doing the math right, I think today’s free day. Or maybe it is tomorrow. The only other explanation is messages sent from Starfleet or Enterprise devices are getting prioritized. It’s a possibility. Regardless I will discuss this with the communications department.

Of course, despite now being on Enterprise, it took Sue three weeks to get a message that Sulu wrote to her the day everything went to hell. But that might be because she was traveling everywhere. Before I forget, they appreciate your good wishes. They're also in the middle of wedding planning madness. I think they’re hoping to get some things done when they will be in the same room as Ben. Although, I feel like they have other plans that are none of my business.

I have definitely reconsidered my position on talking to Ming about the age minimum. We've had a lot of problems with the science interns, including trying to get their hands on Vulcan cannabis and alcohol. Cannabis is the bigger problem policy-wise. I’m really annoyed at that. There is a little more leeway for underage drinking. Probably because our policies and rules were written by idiots and not just the drug and alcohol policies. Although the sneaking out thing is also a problem. Not to mention that somebody’s going to get court-martialed for trying to fuck a 15-year-old. Technically the rules wouldn’t allow for that as they are currently written, but we are sure as fuck going to challenge that idiotic policy. Mother fucking idiots. OK, I have to delete this because this is definitely not something I can

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time sent: 12/17/2260 22:45:01
Subject: RE: I look forward to seeing you soon
Never ever take a deep breath before you dictate the word “send”. Especially if you’re planning to delete something that you probably can't tell somebody. However, Spock says I am allowed to tell you because you are a Starfleet mental health professional. Even if you’re not my therapist.

Obviously, I'm angry about the actions of our soon-to-be former 20-year-old science cadet. Thankfully the idiot did not prey upon one of the Enterprise kids, but now I’m worried that could happen too. I mean, you put a bunch of teenagers on a ship with pretty people, and things happen. Thankfully, most Enterprise kids are starting to turn 16 which makes me feel better even if things are a bit murky and still make me very uncomfortable. I’m not 100% sure most 16-year-olds can make the most rational decisions. That being said, if you’re not old enough to consent to have sex, then maybe you're not old enough to consent to serve in Starfleet. Spock and Sulu are handling the situation, but I’m still upset about it.

OK, I’m going to think about happier things for a moment. I am OK with you getting to meet Peter without us. He needs more grandmother figures. Although he does love his grandpa Sarak. It surprises all of us that Spock’s father is a much better grandfather than he was a dad. Apparently, this is the case a lot, so it gives me hope for Winona. Also, I’m glad you're going to check on the kids. It makes me feel a little bit better that you're close by.

It’s been hard being without Peter these last few days. I even miss the other Enterprise kids. I’m aware at this point they've all been my children this last year, except for Jeremy. Jeremy is a nightmare. He murdered a puppy. I’m still hopeful we can turn Chris three around.

Bigotry is usually taught. So, I need to figure out if these ideas come from his mom, who is still on my ship, or his deceased father. Or are we looking at radicalization after his father’s death? This is honestly entirely possible and wouldn’t surprise me at all. Sad, depressed, lonely boys can be easily radicalized by the right voices whispering in their ears. Oh great, I will have to look at what he’s been reading on the ship.

That’s not a violation of privacy because there is no expectation of privacy on a starship. It’s why I encrypt the hell out of all of our personal messages now. If Starfleet is going to read them, they will have a hard time doing so. Reading materials from hate groups is also against Starfleet policy, and the Enterprise kids are under that policy. So the cyber team has a right to look out for that.

Yes, Spock and I would love to come over one day. Does the 27th work for you? We have that night free. We are going to be on the planet through the new year. It's going to be a mix of on-duty and vacation time. We have a lot of things scheduled. I have to do some read-outs with the Admiral regarding the Hamilton fuck up and the other investigator. I still can’t give you details of that in writing, but we will see.

There are also some meetings with various diplomats and embassies that are on New Vulcan. Spock’s doing most of those. However, I am required to be at half of them, as his husband, not his first officer. Strangely I am looking forward to being arm candy.

Thankfully, we’re actually going to have three days of shore leave. This is good because even though we haven’t been in Starfleet too long, we accumulated a surprisingly large amount of vacation time. Apparently, I was supposed to get like a month of leave after nearly dying. However, it wasn’t used because of “processing issues.” I don’t even know sometimes. Also, when the rest of the ship gets to take vacation time, Spock and I are usually working.

This will probably happen in February again. We will have to get some repairs after we’re done with our current mission in the New Vulcan system. Engineering had an incident, and I really miss Scotty. He’s less dangerous. I didn’t think I would type those words, but here we are. It helps that he never did something so stupid that resulted in him losing a hand and causing damage that will have to be repaired. I can’t wait until we get Scotty back from the Hamilton. Even though Nyota is really mad that he sent JoJo replicator codes for small weapons.

Anyway, I hope to see you soon. The day of gingerbread houses seems fun, and I’m looking forward to it. Amanda didn’t celebrate Christmas being Jewish, but she did love a good gingerbread house. Hanukkah was a little early this year. Some of us do winter solstice, so I don’t think it’s going to be a full Christmas celebration. They'll probably be gifts mostly because this is the first time we've seen each other in a while.

Anyway, we’ll see you soon.
XXXX

From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 12/17/2260 22:02:04
Subject: Re: We must have tea together

Oh, we are definitely going to be busy. I don’t know how they schedule so many events for us to do. Although the 26th is actually going to be a shore leave day. So we can definitely have tea. I think Spock is planning to have some sort of nephew uncle bonding activity that involves showing off his Vulcan martial arts skills. But for you, I will miss a chance to see Spock shirtless. I’m sure someone will get me a video, or maybe we can do tea after that? What is the teatime on Vulcan?

It feels strange that we are so close, but it takes messages a little while to get here. Things are going well with the team from the VSA. We only had to send one person home for being a bigot. Which is honestly significantly less than expected.

I’m glad you’re gonna get to meet the kids. I want pictures. I think they will all adore you. I need more pictures.

Liz and Kevin are coming with mom. Kevin will be on Discovery next semester, and Liz will do an extra semester in space at Yorktown. This way, they’ll graduate at the same time now. I think they’re doing this, so it will be easier to get tandem assignments later on. I’m pretty sure they’re engaged to be engaged at this point and will be getting married right after graduation. The Admiral is going to be pissed, but she likes Kevin. So she’ll get over it, eventually.

The Sulu sisters are coming. One because she is the event planner for the dedication ceremony and another event. Also, she wants to get a feel for Yorktown for the wedding she’ll be planning there. I honestly don’t think she would’ve gone back if she could bring her kids with her. Unfortunately, The Admiral couldn't pull that many strings. Although the universe knows that she tried.

I’m actually kind of glad to know that you knew Winona in the other timeline. My mom makes lots of friends outside her own age group. She is best friends with Sulu’s fiancé Ben. They’ve bonded over being Starfleet widows. I could see you guys being friends in the other timeline despite what I am gathering was a really complicated relationship with the other Jim Kirk. I saw some stuff I probably shouldn’t have during the mind meld, and some things have popped up in dreams.

I know you don’t want to answer my questions about the other timeline but did Grandma Kirk spend a lot of quality time with my other self? Because if a version of me was going to turn out to be a bit of a dick, I feel like she would be responsible. She’s definitely the right-winger of the family and would definitely put toxic ideas in someone's head. Again, I'm only getting bits and pieces, but he feels like a dick and possibly the player everyone thought I was but was too traumatized to be.

Sorry, I've just been thinking about some of the problems I've been having with that side of the family lately. We're suing them for a tell-all book. I hope no copies of it have made it to New Vulcan. It was pretty awful. Let's put it this way Kevin is suing for defamation even though they call him Kyle in the book.

I am well aware grandma Kirk hates me for having a husband. She said so 14 times in her book. So if she managed to get her hooks on my other self, I could see Conservative asshole closet case Jim Kirk existing. Which probably would’ve been hard on you and would totally explain the Carol thing and so many other bad life choices that I’ve seen in dreams. Not recently, although I did see another version of the events that led to Peter being an orphan. Obviously, things went differently.

Anyway, I have to go because my husband is making me go to sleep. But I will see you on the 23rd at the banquet. I look forward to seeing you then.

To be continued…

Chapter 132: Day 300: Somebody’s getting kicked out

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. All of you are so wonderful.
Please note that this email was written about two days previously, on the 16th.
Content warning: continuing allusions to dubious consent statutory rape situation.

Chapter Text

From: PC_Enterprise_2260
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: I am still never volunteering to be a chaperone again

Time arrived: 12/18/2260 00:00:01

Did you have to put that in your response? I had to tell the entire story to Gina and my girlfriend, who kept laughing. She also promised never to leave me tied to any furniture. Unfortunately, Ashley arrived at that moment. That was one very awkward conversation.

Although Olivia would love to include the section on safe words in the Enterprise kids curriculum, she is aware that some of the other guardians would not be OK with that. Obviously, we’ve already had that talk with Ashley where I had to tell her the entire story of what happened. Although Olivia did say safe words will be covered in the cadet version, along with Federation statutory rape guidelines and enthusiastic consent. That seminar is currently scheduled for the free day. Obviously, I won’t spend the day with Olivia now because she no longer has a free day.

In addition to catching three cadets at the cannabis tea house, we saw two cadets "together" in the stairway. This would not have been an issue if one of the cadets was 15 while the other person with her was my age. Initially, I felt like a hypocrite since Olivia, and I have a much larger age difference, but I am an actual adult. Then I realized that the 15-year-old cadet wasn’t comfortable with the situation, and that is all I can legally say. The girlfriend is handling the case along with a few others from the ship and Legal.

Yes, I’m glad I haven’t caught Ashley doing anything extremely inappropriate. Actually, all the Enterprise kids outside of Chris three have been well behaved. Well, relatively well behaved. It’s probably best that the 12-year-olds are not staying with the 15 and 16-year-olds.

I suspect they are getting into the Vulcan headache medication, but they’re better at not getting caught. They also stay in their rooms and don’t do things like try to have sex in the stairwell. Or in the showers. That happened as well, but at least both parties were of age.

We have the Vulcan Museum of culture and heritage today and tomorrow. Then we have a free day on the 18th for everyone who’s not a responsible adult. I feel this is going to involve me keeping the underage out of the cannabis tea house. After they get out of their mandatory sexual misconduct seminar.

The ambassador has invited many of the Enterprise kids for shopping and lunch that day, including my Ashley. I hope nothing goes horribly wrong. I think I’m still able to go unless Olivia needs me. But she may prefer that I stay with our Ashley.

Only the Enterprise kids are going in back after the banquet on the 23rd. The interns are staying on New Vulcan until the end of the year. Originally Olivia and I were supposed to go back with them. But after yesterday’s incident, we are staying another week. Ashley will remain with us. I think she’s doing this so she can see the babies again. She adores them.

I think Ashley is starting to be OK with me dating her aunt. At least she’s no longer trying to set up her aunt with other people or flirting with me. That is a significant improvement.

We should go back to the gardens and bring the kids. I think they will enjoy it. It’s really beautiful there. I’m surprised they managed to get so much done so quickly.
Anyway, I hope all is going well with you, and we will see you soon.
XXXX
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Subject: Vulcan museums were more fun than I thought they would be
Time arrived: 12/18/2260 00:00:01

Thanks for writing me back Uncle Jim. No, you don’t want to know why Chris three is breaking out in hives constantly. Although we are indoors for the rest of the trip, so I hope things will get better for Doctor Olivia, if nothing else. She’s exhausted.

The next two days are going to be spent at the Vulcan Cultural Center/Museum. There are no live performances, unfortunately. But they do have an archive of many previous performances pre-implosion. I think there is an emphasis on preserving the past, rebuilding the population, and continuing scientific work. They’re not quite ready to work on creating new things yet. They’re too caught up in saving the past to move forward.

I think maybe in a few years, the arts will come back. Although it may be a while. Perhaps when the current generation of babies being born grows up. I hope it doesn’t take that long, but it could. At least, those were the talking points from the lectures this morning.

We’re currently exploring the center on our own until closing. Gina wouldn’t let me and Peter work together. So I have Ashley two and three along with Chris one in my group. She wouldn’t let Jay work with us either. I think she wants to keep Jay and Ashley two from each other because of a certain incident that happened in a supply closet. At least they didn’t do anything on the stairs or in the showers. Accounts of the stair incident made Ashley two throw up, but she won’t give me details, and neither will anyone else.

I am really thankful that I am staying at grandfather’s house and not with the other students. Ashley three wants to know if he has space for her. Chris two is a wonderful person but a lousy roommate. She likes to study naked. Also, let me say I am very thankful for my own room at grandpa’s house.

I am typing this email as we are watching a couple of symphony and orchestra performances, not full performances but exerts from several. It hurts to see how much is gone because of one person’s actions. Some of the kids, especially those who lost parents on the Vulcan of old, are having a hard time here. It feels like a weird version of survivor's guilt. Yes, they lost a parent in the battle, but they didn’t lose their home or culture. Savik lost everything.

She’s in Peter’s group right now. Along with Ashley one and Reyes Junior.

Poor Jay is with the other Chrises. Considering the Chrises don’t like each other, I will have to get him a chocolate bar. Well, not chocolate since that’s a controlled substance here, but maybe a lemon cookie or cake. Lemon flavor foods are really popular. Also, sugar-free candy is the default here, for the underage anyway. Vulcans do much better with sugar alcohol than sucrose.

After a morning at the Cultural Center/Museum, I will stick with my original idea to do food for my project. Yesterday was a very enlightening culinary experience. I loved all the different foods we were trying. Also, I excelled at Vulcan Food etiquette. But that’s because I knew the number one rule of not eating with your hands. That was the judge’s number one rule when eating. Grandpa, on the other hand, is a bit more relaxed. Again he served us grilled cheese sandwiches and did not put on food gloves.

Good news, I now know how to eat a roll with a knife and fork. Or rather the utensil equivalent. I wish I paid more attention during that part of language training. However, I can ask to use the restroom in perfect Vulcan. That’s come in handy. Mom and grandfather are helping me work on it after classes.

So after the two days at the Culture Center, we have our free day when we’re going to get to go shopping. Grandpa says we need more weather-appropriate attire as well as outfits for the banquet. Then we have a day touring the government buildings. After that, we are stuck in the labs for the rest of our time.

We’re also going to have to go through the banquet. Although I don’t know if all of us are going, I definitely don’t think the interns are. I know I am because Peter is going. The captains’ child must be there.

Do you know that Peter has Vulcan citizenship or at least qualifies for it? It won’t be official until government day.
Anyway, write back when you can.
Xxx
From: NyotaUM
To: Doctor_bones
Time arrived: 12/18/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I miss you too

Oh, I miss you too so much. It does feel weird being on an assignment without you. The actual work part is great. We’re making a lot of progress on the project. I convinced Spock to send somebody else down from the team to help for the rest of our time in the system. I’m not volunteering to stay myself because I don’t wanna be away from you and JoJo for another month.

I am also very grateful I don’t have to actually be a chaperone. However, I do keep on walking in on people during intimate moments. The second time was more serious and a breach of Starfleet policy. I’m also thankful that time happened with Pav, so there was a witness. We had to fill out some paperwork. Somebody’s getting kicked off the ship.

Before that traumatizing incident, we had to escort some cadets back from the Vulcan cannabis tea bar. I’m sure they were there just for the food. [Rolling eyes emoji.] Since we can’t prove anything because the bar actually does serve stuff that’s not infused with cannabis, we just escorted them back to the dorms.

When Pav was walking me to the transport waiting to take me back to the ambassador’s house, that’s when we walked in on something really inappropriate in the stairwell. I am not paid enough for this bullshit. Gina is furious. She made Spock promise to never make her oversee the cadets again. She is once again not happy.

Olivia wants to smack somebody, especially because the guilty party attempted to use her own relationship with Pav against her. Pav is an actual adult.

So I’m sure you got tons of pictures from us. I wish I could do all the cool things the kids are doing. They’re having so much fun. We’ve been having some interesting dinners. We’re going to try a couple of restaurants. I’m glad that the culinary scene is recovering. That’s actually one area that is coming back faster than expected.

There were a lot of Vulcan restaurants throughout the Federation pre-implosion. So many of those surviving chefs have come to the colony. Part of rebuilding Vulcan is to bring the food and the stories of the food back to people. So restaurants are popping up. Also, now that there's a shopping district, there must be food.

There are plans for a concert hall and performing arts center within the next 5 to 10 years. There are plans for more schools as the Vulcan diaspora settles on the colony and other support staff. It’s an interesting experience seeing how much things have expanded since we were here last year. The growth is remarkable. It’s possible that within the decade, it will look like any other city in the Galaxy. One can hope.

I heard from my team what happened in engineering. The silver lining, we’re probably going to have to have a shore leave in February. Maybe will end up at a starbase with amenities like an amusement park. We can have an actual family vacation. It’s a little unfair that you’re going to be stuck on the ship the entire time when we are exploring the planet.

I’m glad that Jim and Spock are looking out for you when I’m not there. I don’t want you to feel alone. I hope all the pictures and everything else we’re sending you makes you a little less lonely. Plus we’re going to the shopping district in a couple of days. Many of the Enterprise kids will be with us, but I hope I'll get a little time alone to pick up some goodies. Let’s just say New Vulcan is emphasizing rebuilding the Vulcan population, which means there are certain stores. I’m looking forward to exploring the Vulcan version of a sex shop.

Anyway, I’ll write you soon and possibly send pictures.

XXXX
From: SuluHG2260
To: PC_Enterprise_2260
Subject: I am still never volunteering to be a chaperone again
Time arrived: 12/18/2260 13:21:12

What type of friend would I be if I didn’t tell your girlfriend and potential stepdaughter extremely embarrassing stories. I’m sure you are going to have some interesting ones for Ben and even Sue. I’ve been informed that traumatizing your kids is perfectly normal. I’m sure baby D will be extremely traumatized when we tell her the story of how she actually came into existence. I wonder at what age we’re going to tell her the real story. Probably about the same age Ashley is now.

I believe that the Enterprise kids are probably doing some stuff. However, they’re much better at not getting caught or doing things that will actually get them kicked out. It helps that they are under a slightly different policy than the cadets. Although I’m sure you’re aware of that because we’ve done some video calls in the two days since you probably wrote this email.

It’s better that I’m dealing with this than Jim. No, you should not feel like a hypocrite for enforcing the policy in the situation. It’s not the same thing—one, you are 20. Two, Olivia never ever pressured you into doing something you were uncomfortable with. Finally, you and Olivia actually have an extremely healthy relationship.

Although maybe it’s a little more serious than you thought it would be, which is fine. Kevin is only a little older than you, and he’s pretty much engaged. Don’t tell my daughter’s grandmother anything. She would absolutely freak out.

Anyway, I hope you have an actual free day. Although I’ve seen pictures of you from Peter being part of their group at the Vulcan Cultural Center. How did that happen? Or were you there to keep Chris two and three from punching each other out? That seems highly likely. Although Gina hasn’t sent Sue anything about breaking up a fight yet between the Chrises, I will take that as a positive sign.

I am glad that you and Olivia will get to spend more time on the planet. As well as get to see the kids. Of course, Ashley can spend as much time as she wants with the babies. It might be good for her. I’ve heard taking care of small children is the best form of birth control. I think that might be why Ming was perfectly OK with Kevin and Liz having custody of baby D for a while.

Anyway, we will see you in a few days, and we will probably have more video chats in the meantime. The asshole cadet is back on the ship and confined to quarters. We want to put him in the brig but can’t right now because of regulations. Jim is definitely mentioning that to Ming.

I’m glad I will have a few non-duty days on New Vulcan. I could use it. I’m so sorry you’re going to be spending more time with the cadets. My apologies.

XXXX
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Re: Vulcan museums were more fun than I thought they would be
Time arrived: 12/18/2260 22:54:01
I am aware that Peter qualifies for Vulcan citizenship. I am actually the one who initiated the procedure. It will provide Peter with additional benefits from the New Vulcan government as well as my family. He has already experienced some of these benefits. I hope you will learn about these benefits during your government day, as you call it. I understand that due to circumstances, it's happening earlier than originally planned and was condensed to half a day.

I am pleased to see that you are learning more about Vulcan heritage and culture. I hope you had a wonderful day and a half at the Culture Center. I am sorry your time there was abbreviated due to the actions of the historian at the cultural center. What other things did you learn about during your time there? I am sure they covered more than just the performing arts. Although that being said, is it possible for me to get copies of any of the performances you watched? I am hopeful I will have time to take James to the cultural center. There is a certain curator we would like to speak to in person. There is no need for such prejudice in cultural preservation.

For the moment, preservation is more important. More things are likely to survive if they act quickly. But eventually, the focus will return completely to rebuilding again. It seems highly probable that time will coincide with the end of our five-year mission.

I understand if you want to do your project on food as a reflection of culture. There are many dishes that tell the story of my people over time. Maybe you can talk to my father about various family recipes and how various events influence their development. I know a few, and I have typed them out and attached them to this email. We may prepare a few of them on the 25th when we decorate the various gingerbread houses.

I know that you are upset about not working with your friends, but you do not always work with your friends in life. It is crucial to learn how to work with people that you do not necessarily like. It is critical to learn how to manage people who do not like each other. Although I have seen from Peter’s pictures, Ensign Chekov was added to their group to possibly prevent bloodshed. From what I have heard, that was necessary.

Yes, all of the Enterprise children are invited to the banquet. However, you and Peter will be sitting with James and me as part of our family. The others will be seated in a different section of the banquet. This is why the etiquette dinner was mandatory for your group. This may also be why my father took all of you shopping for proper Vulcan dinner attire.

I’m looking forward to seeing which outfits were chosen. I’m sure we will receive pictures tomorrow.

Please continue to send pictures. We do enjoy them. We look forward to seeing you on December 22.
XXXX
From: Doctor_bones
To: NyotaUM
Time sent: 12/18/2260 23:43:12
Subject: Re: I miss you too

I know I said this to you during our emergency conference call, but I’m really sorry that you have to deal with the incident. At the same time, I’m really glad the two of you decided to take the stairs. You kept something really bad from happening. The situation is working itself out. Focus on JoJo right now. You can discuss more with Dr. Margarita when you get back.

Although I wish I was with you and JoJo right now, I’m perfectly happy staying on the starship. All the consults with Olivia about Chris three allergic reactions is as much Vulcan wildlife as I can take. I have no desire to experience it in person. The pictures are enough. Thank you for sending them. They do make me feel less lonely.

Although it’s nice to see that they’re doing safe indoor activities like watching symphonies, as I can tell from the pictures. That is definitely preferable to more quality time down on the farm or in nature. I’m surprised more people did not get hurt. Or ended up with sunstroke.

I think we’re going to Starbase 39, which does not have an amusement park in itself but is next to one that’s privately owned. Since it’s an actual shore leave, we can go. Even though I feel like most amusement parks are death traps. But you need a break.

I know it’s been a hard couple of days. I’ve gotten lots of messages from Olivia. But I’m glad you’re OK. I know you’re probably worried at this point about leaving Josephine behind, but I know Jim and Spock will look after her as their own kid. They are oddly very protective. It’s a good thing.

Also, Olivia is now staying through the end of the year. So at least we know there’s medical support in case Jim has an allergic reaction. I’m sure he will. But she will also be there to take care of JoJo.

Anyway, I definitely still miss you and look forward to trying out anything you will purchase on the colony.

To be continued

Chapter 133: Day 301: Really, I’m on my best behavior (but I won’t vouch for anyone else)

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely fabulous. Please remember that the messages are about two days behind.
Also, sorry these are getting very long, but they have so much to talk about. I think this is now the longest chapter in the story.

Same content warnings as other recent chapters.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: NyotaUM
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’m on my best behavior; I promise

I will have you know that I am being extremely well behaved. I have not looked at anybody’s emails without prior authorization. I was tempted to look at a certain asshole cadet’s personal emails. However, I’ll leave that to the investigation team because it’s not my job.

Although I did hear from my team that apparently, they’re doing a scan for human supremacists and other terrorist sites being accessed on the ship. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chris 3 had some of that stuff in his recent reading materials. That should definitely be checked out by my team, not by me.

I feel like you may have lost your trust in me long-term in this area. I had to explain everything that happened regarding that to Josephine. It’s never fun recounting your screwup to your children. Josephine asked Len what happened, and he refused to answer. Therefore forcing me to do so in front of Spock’s father. I love Leonard, but he is a dick sometimes.

Thank you for looking after Leonard anyway. I definitely don’t want him to go back to his sad bachelor mode without us there. He needs people despite saying otherwise. He also needs to do things other than work. I know that you’re making sure he’s eating. He hasn’t been sending me rapid messages every hour, so keep up the good work.

No, we never did make it to the Vulcan tea House. This is sad because we both really needed a drink, especially after what I saw in the stairwell walking out. I assume you now know that I am the one who caught that situation. I’m glad I did. I hope he’s in the brig by now. Fingers crossed, I get that drink tomorrow.

Be glad Spock looks out for you the way he does. It’s good to have someone that loves you like that. I’m happy it wasn’t a trigger for you. But, unfortunately, it was for Ashley 2.

Yesterday she threw up again just passing by the stairwell. She threw up the first time when she found out about what happened. She couldn’t sleep at all, per Ashley 1. She woke up screaming and crying. It made me realize I couldn't leave her there.

BTW she told me I could tell you this. You’re her support group friend now that Becky is on earth. For a while, I thought I would have to call you to talk to her, but Jay was able to get her to calm down.

Anyway, I talked to your father-in-law, and he said that Ashley 2 can come to stay at his house for the rest of her visit. He agreed to it without even knowing the details. So once the kids get done with Vulcan history day, we will pick up her stuff and take everything to the compound. She’s also going to come with us to the family dinner along with her boyfriend. OK, we don’t want to risk her being there when the other cadets go through the sexual misconduct seminar. She needs to be away from that—poor child.

I think it will be better in the long run. The kids are already planning a sleepover tonight. I’ve gotten a few food request text messages. Ashley 2 hasn’t done one in forever, and she is looking forward to it. Good news Vulcan does have pizza places. Local, not chain. I guess it makes sense for there to be Vulcan pizzerias since they can be made very easily vegetarian. Pizza can also adapt to the culinary culture of whatever planet you find it on.

Josephine just informed me that they are only spending half the day at the Vulcan cultural center. Per the text message, my child thinks this is a good thing. The only thing exciting that happened was one of the historians grabbing Peter's PADD when one of the Chris's started accessing stuff they were not supposed to access. They’re leaving now for lunch outside of the cultural center. That’s different than the schedule.

I just received a text from your father-in-law, who needs me to immediately meet him at the Vulcan cultural center. I think there was an incident. I hope nobody got in trouble. Why do I feel like one of the Chrises accessed porn? I bet they’re calling me in because Gina is done at this point. I don’t think she’s going to resign, but she might renegotiate her contract.

Cxxxxxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones
Subject: Vulcan history is too censored to be interesting
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 00:00:01

Yes, grandfather was responsible for our attire. Apparently, he contacted the quartermaster while onboard Enterprise. He received all of our sizes so that proper attire would be ready for us to use at the etiquette dinner and the banquet. But we’re going to pick out our banquet attire ourselves tomorrow. At least those of us with grandpa. I think the other kids are going to be wearing what they wore to the etiquette dinner. I’m glad we will get to pick out our own outfits because I want something a little brighter. Grandpa likes dark colors.

Good news, two out of the three Ashleyes will be with us. Unfortunately, Olivia said no to Ashley three staying with us, but grandpa yes to Ashley two, and her guardian agreed. So we’re going to have a sleepover tonight. Ashley three can live with that because she is moving into Ashley two’s old room. Really she just wanted to be away from Chris two. The naked studying is just a little too much.

I think Ashley two is staying with us because of the thing that happened that nobody wants to tell me about. Mom was in a bunch of meetings with Pav. Considering Ashley two is so freaked out about it, I think I have an idea of what happened and why nobody wants to say anything. I’m really getting tired of all of you treating me like a two-year-old.

You know I know what happened to Ashley two, right? She told me. I know what happened to Uncle Jim too. Not the details, but I know. I spent the first 10 years of my life with an emotionally abusive alcoholic of a mother. I’m well aware she didn’t want me to go anywhere near grandpa because he used to hit her. I might be 12, but I’m not innocent. I don’t think I ever was. I know maybe too much.

Thankfully I never went through what Ashley or Uncle Jim did, but I’ve seen a lot. So don’t assume I can’t handle it. I’m stronger than you think I am, even though I’m still spending a lot of quality time with Dr. Margarita.

OK, I just spent the morning learning even more about Vulcan history. Granted, it’s highly censored because we were getting the off-world version. Gina referred to it as the whitewashed version. She realized this when it became apparent that Peter was given access to the full history of Vulcan. I wonder why? Unfortunately, his PADD was taken away before we got to the good stuff.

Parts of it were interesting. I wish they would’ve spent more time on pre-reform society and the Vulcan-Romulan split, but that stuff was glossed over quickly. In our version anyway. I have to ask Peter later if he got better stuff. A lot of it was about the battle of Vulcan, which was traumatic for several of my classmates for reasons I’m sure you’re aware of. Honestly, I’m glad we got the short version since our day got cut short. I wonder what we’re gonna do this afternoon. Watching Vulcan opera is definitely more fun than learning about genocide.

Our dinner two nights ago was also fun. Nobody got sick or had an allergic reaction. At the dinner anyway. Chris three had an allergic reaction at breakfast this morning. You might be right about the planet hating him and fighting back. The silver lining was because of the allergic reaction, he wasn’t there for history morning.

We’re on the shuttle bus now. And mom just joined us. She looks very stressed and extremely annoyed. I don’t know why she’s here. Spock’s dad told her to come. I’m sure she’ll let me know later.

Apparently, somebody was mad Peter qualified for full access to Vulcan history. They apparently accused him of hacking into the system. I can confirm that didn’t happen. So mom and grandpa had to fix things.

I think fixing things is why we were only spending half the day going over history. It seemed strange that we were going to tour the government building instead of our afternoon history lesson all of a sudden. We just found out about that. I think we actually got kicked out of the Vulcan cultural center. However, nobody will confirm that. I will investigate more later.

Anyway, tomorrow I’m going to be meeting one of your old work colleagues, Dr. Suarez. She’s an old friend of Uncle Jim’s. Apparently, she’s known him since he was my age. That should be fun. I wonder if she has pictures? Of course, Peter’s curious. We are also supposed to meet Spock’s “grandfather.” Peter has so many questions.

Honestly, I am looking forward to shopping and trying Vulcan food. We’re going to go to a couple of restaurants since we will be out all day. Yes, we got to try some stuff on food day, but everything has been so healthy so far. There must be Vulcan junk food. I need to try it for my research project.

Mom just confirmed there’s going to be a sleepover tonight celebrating Ashley two joining us. I regret that there will be no chocolate cookies, but apparently, there’ll be lemon bars and pizza, so I can’t complain. It should be fun. I think Ashley will be asleep halfway through the first movie, but it will probably be good for her. I don’t think she slept at all last night because of what happened.
Xxxx
From: Peter_K
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from the halls of Vulcan bureaucracy

I definitely want to hear your version of how you got together. Although I did hear about the email stuff from Nyota. Uncle Bones said something to Josephine in her letter, and her mom had to come clean. I’m kind of surprised you didn’t kick her off the ship for what she did.

Although I’m glad you didn’t because I really like having Josephine here. I didn’t have any friends on the colony. At least those that were close to my age. I had a couple of friends among scientists, but no one like Josephine or Ashley. I also have Jay and Chris one. I wouldn’t consider the other Enterprise kids friends yet, but they’re cool to be around. We may have passed snarky notes to each other during this morning’s Vulcan history lesson. This should’ve been expected when they gave us an hour to do self-study in the archives.

Which led to Chris two realizing that I had a less censored version of the history than everybody else. Gina was annoyed but gave us some interesting search terms to look up. I found out later that the system viewed me as Vulcan because, legally, I’m Spock’s child. We are going to have to talk about that later. However, my PADD was taken away from me before I could look up what pon fire is. (Apologies, that’s probably misspelled.) Actually, as soon as I tried to enter the term, my PADD was taken away. That’s also when we found out we weren’t doing the second half of history day. Thankfully after lunch, we found out we were doing a government visit instead.

Well, the others got to tour the capital. I got to fill out more paperwork to get my full Vulcan citizenship. Also, grandpa spent a lot of time yelling at somebody in a very Vulcan way. It was quite entertaining. My Vulcan is a little weak, but I think someone called him a human lover who eats pork chops. Although “human lover” may have actually been “human fucker”. Aunt Nyota doesn’t really want to teach me Vulcan curse words yet.

Josephine was wonderful and stayed with me even though that meant not seeing the capital with all the other kids. Grandpa said we would take another tour later.

I’m not upset about that because we might even get to see some stuff that the other kids didn’t see. I hope Gina is not expecting an essay on this. For something that is supposed to be a vacation, we’ve been doing a lot of papers. I’ve written essays about every activity we have done so far. Also, Gina will make us write about everything else we’re doing on break when the other kids return.

I’m glad you and Spock enjoyed all the pictures. I think my favorite part is just getting to take photos of everything. Unfortunately, I don’t get to do it on the ship because of security issues. However, I used to do it on the colony. I wonder if my photo files were ever recovered. I did back them up but to something that only mom had the password to, so I don’t know how to find them. Do you have any ideas?

It’s not that I don’t like science. I love science. It’s just that Uncle Spock actually makes it interesting. It’s why I asked Grandma Winona for junior science kits so we can do projects together.

However, the farm presentation was very dry. I grew up in Iowa and a research colony that grew our own food crops. A lot of the stuff presented I already know. Plus, I feel like they were dumbing it down for the humans. I get that for some of my classmates that might be necessary, but not for me. I appreciate the fact that you and Uncle Spock never talk down to me. I hate when people do that just because I’m young. Again I spent most of my childhood around scientists. I know this stuff.

I hope things go better during our time at the Academy. Apparently, we’re going to take a test in the morning on our first day so they can break us up into interest groups.
Fingers crossed they don’t put me with Chris three. Thank God we are staying at grandpa’s house. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure I would’ve punched him out on day two. I may have been working with Chris two on our independent study to develop ways to get our vengeance on Chris three.

Thankfully we had a Chris 3 free day today. The God of allergies looked upon us favorably. He is allergic to everything; you can now add Vulcan oats to the list. This seems weird because I’ve seen him eat oatmeal before. Although, is replicator oatmeal different than actual oatmeal? Like if you’re allergic to strawberries, can you eat replicator strawberries? Not that I would try, but I’m just a little curious.

XXXX
From: NyotaUM
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Good news, it wasn’t porn

Bad news, it was almost close. So the kids were given an hour before lunch to do independent study on Vulcan history with PADD access to the cultural center’s history database. However, the database has Peter listed as the son of Spock and therefore was considered Vulcan for access purposes.

Chris 2 realized he had a different version of history than she did because they worked together as a team. She called Gina over. Gina had Peter look up the one word that definitely would not be in the off-worlder version to test the theory. I can’t type it due to it automatically being redacted due to writing this on the colony. Although I am sure you know which word I’m talking about.

Just looking up that word got everybody kicked out, and Peter was accused of hacking. Gina being the mama bear teacher that she is protected Peter from the accusation. Especially because she was the one who suggested that he look up that word. Despite having a Vulcan special friend, she wasn’t aware of how severe the taboo was. Probably because her Vulcan special friend is liberal. Thankfully she was able to call the ambassador and me in during lunch to smooth over the situation. The kids were at a restaurant next door.

That was a really fun meeting. The cultural center liaison was mostly angry because, legally, Peter is entitled to access the information. He’s Vulcan by adoption. This led to the curator criticizing Spock’s parenting skills. A good Vulcan parent would never let their child do research on that. At that point, we didn’t want the kids to spend the afternoon at the cultural center. This is why the kids spent the afternoon being led on a tour of the Vulcan House of Representatives by your father-in-law’s assistant.

Due to the incident, I spent my afternoon with the ambassador, filing citizenship paperwork and helping Peter with his paperwork to ensure he had all rights as a ward of Spock’s house. Did you know that I qualify for Vulcan citizenship? Apparently, all it took was one quick look at my head to prove that. I decided to apply for it because it will be easier for me to eventually take a position at the VSA with citizenship. Also, I was a little annoyed after our meeting with the Vulcan cultural liaison. I feel like it’s my personal mission to make as many human Vulcan citizens as possible.

The person processing my case was really snooty until I started replying to them in perfect Vulcan. It’s always fun when I can do that. I got a double eyebrow raise when they realized I understood when they called me the daughter of a prostitute who eats meat. Why are all the asshole Vulcans in government? Everybody at the VSA was so nice to me.

After today, I definitely need a free day. I am looking forward to actually try high Vulcan cuisine tomorrow. As well as seeing Dr. Suarez again. I adore Margarita, but I do miss my last therapist. I also have 20 credits on Peter recognizing Spock’s grandfather for who he really is before we hit dessert.

The shopping district is a bit mixed—more restaurants than stores at the moment. A lot of the stores are sex shops. They have three. That’s a lot for any mall. Which might be what you’re going for. You know Spock’s father will be happy to watch the kids. I’m hoping to get away to pick up a couple of things myself. We shall see.
XXXX
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: NyotaUM
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 06:49:01
Subject: Glad it wasn’t porn; Spock is in charge of talking to Peter and Gina

That feels like a sucker bet. Especially because you been having him read time travel comic books lately. Peter just discovered the TVA in Marvel. Actually, I will put 20 credits on him referring to grandpa Spock as a variant before we arrive on the 22nd. Of course, you’re betting against my husband, so more power to you. This is going to be fun.

BTW you should be aware Spock reads almost all my emails. Sometimes he reads them out loud to me. I love that voice. Super sexy.

I didn’t get a rapid message yesterday from you. I am going to take that as a good sign. I hope you actually did get that drink. You so deserve it as well as time to go to that certain store. Maybe if Leonard got a new toy, he would be less cranky.

Good to know you’re not backsliding. I know you were tempted to look at the email account. However, I’m glad you didn’t, especially because of what the investigators found. The prick cadet was stalking the poor girl. It really is a mess. Silver lining because of that, we can now put him in the brig. Spock was happy about that.

Yes, your team is looking into the inappropriate access of certain sites issue. In the last month alone, 17 people on the ship have accessed human/earth supremacy sites. Chris three and his mother were on this list. It might’ve been him on her login, but we’re investigating. Because of this, everybody will be taking the cybersecurity and counterintelligence training modules again next month.

In addition, everyone will do the sexual misconduct seminar beginning in January. The med team wants to do some updates, which is why were not starting immediately. Spock and I are debating if the regular Starfleet population needs to go through the drug and alcohol seminar again. We have a tendency not to actually enforce those policies for the people that are of age. The reinforcements to the architecture that Scotty put in to protect his “special project” are the only reason the damage to engineering was not worse during the explosion last week.

I really appreciate Spock trying to keep me out of the sexual misconduct investigation, but Ashley 2 needed me. I’ve gotten several rapid messages from her since the incident. I’m glad you got her out of there. Just being in the building was a trigger for her. She was definitely happier with the sleepover. I heard all good things and have gotten some pictures. Although she did say pizza with vegetarian pepperoni just wasn’t the same. They should’ve just gone with mushrooms or black olives.

Helping Ashley deal with this has been a really good thing for me. I feel less hopeless when I help people. Margarita thinks I should take the sexual assault counselor certification course. Not that many captains do that, and she believes it could be a good thing for me later in my career. I’m thinking about it. Especially if I’m going to keep the support group going without Rebecca. Dr. Reyes is helping out, but she is still a bit of an outsider in this regard.

Gina and Olivia told me the seminar went well in the morning. Although yes, it was best Ashley wasn’t there. Especially because apparently, she and Ashley two kept Josephine from punching out two of my sister-in-law’s bullies. Thank God for more mature friends. Did you know about that? I don’t know if you were there when it happened. They were shopping at the time. I feel like maybe you would’ve sent me a rapid message if you were there.

So how was dinner with everybody? Did anything actually happen at dinner? We haven’t received pictures yet, so I don’t know. How was the food? Since the kids were there, I am sure you can only consume the regular tea. I’m definitely gonna have to hit up the tea shops. Spock has an exemption, so I can get anything I want. I’m supposed to be going out for tea with grandpa, so that should be good.

Why couldn’t Peter look up the history of Vulcan cannabis consumption? That type of search doesn’t get you called up for an emergency meeting. Although from our conversation with Gina, that was kind of the point. I think we were called in to speak with them before you and the father-in-law got there. I got called a son of a meat-eater that screws goats. I never did inform the cultural center prick that I speak Vulcan. This was right before Spock showed up on screen to prove that he is my husband, which means our kid is Vulcan. Therefore he could search that word if he wanted to. So no, we are not continuing the culture of shame.

You should definitely get your Vulcan citizenship. It’s actually come in handy with some negotiations. Yes, the same thing happened to me when I was doing my paperwork. It was probably the same guy. I was called the son of a sewer worker that eats meat. That just screams classicism. I expected this, which is why I had you giving Peter extra language lessons. Although I think we should start doing Vulcan night, where we watch Vulcan movies and only speak Vulcan all night. It would be good for the kid. What do you think?

Peter explained why he looked that word up in his letter. Although that word only got through because he misspelled it. Neither Spock nor I are mad at Gina because she was trying to verify if Peter had a different version of Vulcan history. Again she didn’t know how much of a taboo it is to the older generations, and it would cause the kids to get kicked out of the cultural center. I’m really glad my father-in-law could pull some strings and get the government visit pushed up.

We decided that Peter should know something about this. Especially because who knows when Spock and I will need to take medical leave because everybody’s cycles are completely fucked right now. We got some extra data when Spock’s father visited. In hard copy.

Spock bear is writing that response as soon as he verifies how much he can tell Peter. All questions our kids ask about Vulcan biological functions will be answered by Spock. I get to cover the human ones. He can begin getting practice now.

Our emails are definitely going through a filter. I talked to the other enterprise kids’ guardians, and they got their letters the same day. We are the group with the longest delays. I blame my encryption. However, I’m not going to decrypt for faster email. In an emergency, everybody knows to use rapid messages. We had to reinforce that point with Ben, but I’m sure he gets it now.

No, Gina hasn’t resigned yet. Well, she tried after the cultural center incident, but we talked her out of it. I will have to get her a shoe gift basket or something while we’re on the planet. And probably a whole box of Vulcan headache bars. She needs it after everything going on. I’ll look into it while we’re on the colony. I do not want to lose her. I’m never going to find a teacher as competent as her again. I only found her because Chen got involved. She has known Gina since preschool.

I now know which stores I’m going to on the New Vulcan colony. Spock bear definitely needs new toys. We had to get rid of a bunch after we discovered the new allergy.

Anyway, I’m probably going to see you in person before I get a response from you. We were going to do a handover meeting a couple of hours before beaming down. Although I don’t know if it’s happening down there or up here. I should probably send a rapid message for that.

I am doing that now. I guess you will hear from me in a few minutes.

Xxx From: Doctor bones
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Re: I promise I’m doing well on New Vulcan
Time sent: 12/19/2260 07:05:01

 

I should be surprised that New Vulcan has pizza, but I’m not. All societies have junk food, but that doesn’t mean you should eat all of it. Or really any of it, but I’m not going to tell you not to have pizza or lemon bars at your sleepover. Especially because it’s already happened . Just tried to eat in moderation. Considering I have to lock up your Oreos, I’m not sure you have that concept down quite yet. Although neither does your uncle. He’s gotten better in recent years with exercise and eating a balanced diet, but that might be Spock’s influence. He eats vegetables now, so that’s all I can ask for.

We don’t think you’re a two-year-old, nor are we keeping this from you because we believe you are too young to handle it. Sometimes because of the type of work your mom and I do, we are not allowed to talk about some of the things we encounter. We both have a top-secret security clearance for a reason. In my case, I have to take the confidentiality of my patients seriously. I can’t come home and talk about what’s wrong with them. That would be inappropriate and a violation of their rights as my patient.

In general terms, the sexual assault or attempted sexual assault of a Starfleet officer is not something that I can talk about as a doctor or your mom as a mandatory reporting official. We have to respect the privacy of those involved. Unfortunately, some of your classmates did not respect that privacy, and rumors are floating around. Whatever you come across regarding this, keep it to yourself. If you are having trouble processing what you’re finding out, talk to Dr. Margarita.

The person involved has the right to decide how much people know in this case. At present, they want to keep the situation private. We must respect that.

However, the thing you can do right now is be a good friend to Ashley. What happened is hard on her. It’s bringing back many unpleasant memories, and she needs you as her friend to support her. It’s probably best for her not to be at the dorms. Honestly, we should have put her at the ambassador’s house in the first place. But she probably wanted to be near her boyfriend.

I hope you and your friends enjoyed your day of shopping. I’m sure you’ll find the perfect outfit. Just remember, we only have so much closet space on the ship. Of course, Scotty adores you, so he probably will make you more when he gets back. He is counting the days until he returns to Enterprise, especially after the explosion.

I assumed you had a good dinner. I think Dr. Suarez has all the embarrassing Jim stories, and Jim authorized her to share. Apparently, he sent a rapid message recently to her. He feels that this is another way for him to bond with Peter.

Anyway, stay hydrated. I’ve received reports of some of your classmates succumbing to heatstroke yesterday on free day. I’m not at liberty to say who. I would tell you to scan your food at the Vulcan shopping center, but that happened yesterday. Thankfully, I received no reports of allergic reactions from your group. Although others were not that lucky, and I’m sure you know who had an allergic reaction. Somebody should probably come up early.

Also, send more pictures. Everything has been adorable so far.
XXXX
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Peter_K
Time arrived: 12/19/2260 22:23:01
Subject: Re: greetings from the halls of bureaucracy

Your uncle has decided that I am the best one to reply to you today. To alleviate any of your concerns, you are not in trouble for what happened at the Vulcan cultural center. Neither is Gina. We have already discussed this.

Please do not attempt to consume replicated strawberries. Yes, replicated food has somewhat different properties than natural growing food products. However, research has shown that in 84.3% of cases, individuals allergic to naturally grown items are also allergic to the replicated version. Anecdotally, your Uncle James is allergic to replicated strawberries. Therefore, it is highly likely that you were also allergic to replicated strawberries.

It could be that the Vulcan variety of oats is very different genetically, and therefore it triggered an allergic response. When Chris three returns to the ship, he will undergo allergy testing. They will be able to figure the exact cause. Of course, allergy testing does have limitations. We discovered your uncle’s latex allergy by trial and error. If I were not Vulcan, that would have been a very embarrassing medical encounter.

In Vulcan culture and society, the concept of family is slightly different. Although in Federation society Jim and I are your guardians. In Vulcan society, we would be considered your parents or fathers regardless of the exact legal status. The only thing that is required is permanent guardianship which James and I have.

Because we are your permanent guardians, I applied for citizenship on your behalf. I chose to do so because this would provide you with additional protection. Your maternal grandfather will never get out. Your maternal grandmother can be paroled within the next three years due to “good behavior” and making adequate use of various rehabilitation programs available to her. I want you to be able to stay with us. I do apologize for not explaining completely what making you a Vulcan citizen would involve. It is not an adoption. That has not occurred yet and will not occur without your full consent.

I am upset to hear that you were given a redacted version of Vulcan history. Or at least the others that were not of my household. This is unfortunate. I can understand wanting to not share certain parts of our culture with outsiders. History should not be censored. It’s unfortunate that they are doing so, but this is a common practice. You will see that many societies like to avoid discussing the darker parts of their history.

The word Gina asked you to look up to verify your alternate access is one of Vulcan’s greatest taboos. Although you misspelled it, I understood what you were referring to. This Vulcan word refers to a specific event that’s part of the Vulcan reproductive cycle. Every Vulcan has a period of increased fertility levels. Traditionally it was every seven years. Because of the implosion of Vulcan, the cycle has decreased, and it could happen as often as every 16 months. Researchers are still examining this phenomenon.

Unfortunately, this increase in fertility causes other Vulcans to behave in a way that is considered inappropriate by Vulcan standards. There is an increase in belligerence, violence, and illogical behavior. This behavior change is deemed shameful, so my people wish not to discuss this with outsiders. However, as a child of a Vulcan Guardian, I feel that you must be aware.

This was so taboo to the older generations that no research was done on this aspect of Vulcan reproduction. It wasn’t until the Vulcan genocide that scientists began researching the cycle. If you’re interested, I will present you with research papers on the topic when you're older.

I apologize that your presenters are dumbing down the curriculum, as you would say. Most Enterprise minors’ program members are highly intelligent and can understand a great many things. It is inappropriate to assume that they would not understand the material being presented. I promise that I will never underestimate your intelligence or talk down to you. Such behavior is inappropriate. I will make sure that the instructors at the VSA will not do that.

I hope all went well yesterday with my father and grandfather. I expect you had a great day in the shopping district. We look forward to seeing you in a few days.

PS: Your uncle James will look into accessing your mother’s files during our free days on the colony. We regret not looking into this earlier. There is probably other information that we need access to.

To be continued...

Notes:

A few production notes. I wrote most of the first draft of the chapter on Father's Day weekend, which made me think a lot about how fatherhood has changed the characters. Jim and Spock are trying their best.

I also decided that the Spock in this story is a bit more sex-positive than his prime counterpart. So he can explain something in scientific terms that he wasn't really able to talk about in the original timeline. Also, surviving a genocide makes you reevaluate certain cultural taboos.

Chapter 134: Day 302: I’m on my way

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so fabulous. I realize again that emails are really out of sequence. In-universe, I’m blaming it on travel and time differences. I think we will get back to normal on the next cycle of letters. I hope anyway.

All timestamps are ship time, not New Vulcan time. The settlement where the kids are staying is four hours behind ship time.

Chapter Text

From: KirkWX
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/20/2260 00:00:01

Subject: I never thought I would be writing from a Starfleet ship again

I never thought I would be on a Starfleet ship again. Yet here I am with a brand-new email address at that. Since I officially graduated from Wellness Hills, I thought it was time for a change.

I can’t tell you what ship we’re on for security reasons. Liz’s mom has a lot of people that hate her. There’s definitely something rotten in Starfleet. Rebecca’s father-in-law was a piece of shit. Just because he’s dead doesn’t mean he didn’t leave some surprises.

I got roped into helping with a surprise inspection. I rather be babysitting. No, I can’t talk about it. I’m sure you understand because you probably can’t talk about what you discovered during the Hamilton investigation. I’m certain it was nothing good. However, I’m always up for helping to weed out corruption and avoid another Tarsus-level disaster.

It’s so weird I got both your and Peter’s letters tonight, even though I’m sure you both sent them at different times. They both showed up in my inbox at midnight. Is that normal? Ming said something about the fact that they are controlling emails a little more right after the incident. Also, due to your justified paranoia, you encrypt the hell out of all your emails. This sends up all sorts of flags in the system.

So legal update first: Your husband is definitely planning something for the hateful relatives. Not that Shawn will tell me any details since I will not be a party to the suit. You should definitely speak to your husband about that. I am perfectly OK with the lawsuit because they all deserve it. However, my name shouldn’t be on it. If I’m a party, they’ll think I’m forcing you to do it out of pettiness when I’m not.

Also, you should probably expand your unauthorized likeness lawsuit beyond the adult toys. I’m pretty sure there are some unauthorized children's toys as well. I’ve attached pictures.

By the way, I discovered that my son had his own vibrator when I picked up a bridal shower gift for a former roommate at Wellness Hills. You know that I go into sex shops, especially because I haven’t been with anybody since the asshole ex-husband. Honestly, toys never let you down.

I did go to San Francisco a few weeks ago and went through all of the storage lockers. Yes, we brought a few of the best Lego sets and a bunch more. This is why I was in the toy store and found a lot of Heroes of The Federation merchandise. There’s no way those figures are not you and Spock. The ears are adorable. I may have picked up a set for research purposes.

I’ll tell you now we brought a lot of toys and other supplies. Not just for your kid. I feel like the other Enterprise teenagers can use some entertainment. Otherwise, they’re just gonna keep breaking into botany for the cannabis.

Honestly, I’d rather Peter get into that than alcohol, but I hope you have at least a few more years before you’re dealing with that. At least, unlike me, you’ll be sober and won’t feel like an absolute hypocrite when you have to give the lecture. I am just grateful that Kevin never really touched the stuff.

I won’t lie and say that going through all the storage containers was easy. It wasn’t. I don’t even think I was the one who packed up Sam’s things. Sam’s room was ready for Kevin when we landed. Was it you?

I am pretty sure that everything has been in storage since Tarsus. But I wanted Peter to have something of his father. So I went through the comic book collection and picked out the best pieces. I also went through the action figures.

I now know what happened to Sam’s teddy bear. It appears he gave it to Arlene before we left. She gave it to Peter. It was in a box of his toys. So at least he had one thing of his dad’s. I’m glad he had it, that it wasn’t lost. Needless to say, I did a lot of crying that day. But I didn’t go to a bar and drink myself into unconsciousness. I think that’s progress.

Sobriety is hard, especially when you’re contending with so many ghosts of the past. Now I’m dealing with them in human form. But I am trying as best I can to not go back to the alcohol. I don’t know how successful I will be, but I am trying.

I brought all the materials we will need for making gingerbread houses. I’m going to make the gingerbread there. I know I didn’t bake nearly enough when you were a kid (too drunk), but that’s something I’m good at. Actually, I brought ingredients to make a lot of goodies. I even got a stasis box to bring fresh ingredients, at least what I know I can’t get on Vulcan. Seriously, chocolate is a controlled substance there. Also, apparently, so is brown sugar.

Anyway, I will be there soon. This might get to you after we’re there because the email server is weird. Anyway, I love you and look forward to seeing you soon.

XXXX

From: KirkWX
To: Peter_K
cc: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen

Time arrived: 12/20/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’m on my way.

Hey baby. It’s great to hear from you again. Although unfortunately, this letter got to me once we were already on our way to New Vulcan. Although it’s because we had to leave a little bit early due to some unforeseen issues. But they’ve been handled.

I did get you a bunch of junior science stuff. They’re all activities that you can do with Spock. Actually, it’s best if you have adult supervision. Especially if you’re anything like your uncle. I feel like you are.

Sorry, we already bought you new Lego sets, but you can share them with the other kids. However, we did bring a bunch of your old sets too. The ones that were in good condition anyway. Unfortunately, we can’t bring everything. Also, some things got damaged in storage. Thanks to climate change, Iowa is now prone to flooding. Unfortunately, your mom didn’t get the best unit. Thankfully nothing irreplaceable was lost.

I know you said that there was not a bear, but we found one. Although maybe he was your mom’s teddy bear? He belonged to your dad, and I guess he gave it to Arlene to remember him by. We’re bringing it. I hope that’s OK. If you don’t want it, I think your Uncle Jim would like it himself. When Jimmie was little, he would sometimes steal the bear from your dad, especially when he had nightmares. Sometimes Sam would take the bear back but not always. I have attached a picture of Jim sleeping wrapped around the bear with Sam wrapped around him. I didn’t even know I still had that, but we found it in storage.

So if I’m doing the math right, you are probably already on New Vulcan. What have you been doing on the planet? Did you do anything fun? Have you met any new and interesting people? I want to hear all about what you’re doing.

It is probably for the best that New Vulcan is your first time really exploring. I kind of agree with James’s decision not to let you onto the Hamilton. It wasn’t the best place for a kid during his investigation. But I’m sure as you go on, you’ll get to do more cool things. But trust Jim and Spock’s judgment. They know what they’re doing.

I really hate being on a Starfleet ship, but I’m doing it just for you. I’ve been helping Liz’s mom with some projects, but I’ve also been hanging out with Ben and the kids. They’re so cute. I’ve attached pictures.
Anyway, we will see you soon.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Kirk WX
cc: Kevin KR; Elizabeth_Chen
BCC: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 11/20/2260 01:23:01
Subject: I look forward to seeing you soon
I think you’ll be here in about three days. I don't know if you will get this message before then. Josephine’s mom says the emails are behaving strangely because of Uncle Jim’s encryption. Although maybe this way you can reply to me in person. Although your new email seems to be Starfleet so perhaps that would help.

They push to me at midnight ship time. Which is like about 8 PM here. So I actually got to see this before the end of the day my time. I’ve been having so much fun here. Grandpa is the best. Also, I like this concept of having cousins. I was not looking forward to continuous life as an only child with no family. So I’m glad to actually have a family now.

I sent you a bunch of pictures of everything we’ve done so far. I got to visit an animal sanctuary on my first day. I got to pet an actual sehlat. Although grandpa gave me an animatronic one, he said every child deserves a pet. I named her Annie. I have lots of pictures from there. They are doing such great work with the animals.

We also got to visit the Vulcan botanical Gardens. Again it’s pretty. Also, unlike uncle Jim, I am not allergic to everything. If Uncle Jim goes to the botanical garden, Uncle Bones will make him wear a mask just in case. I’ve heard stories about away missions that have gone wrong because of his allergies. Although still not as bad as Chris three.

We got to tour a Vulcan farm which is slightly different than farming in Iowa. Although they are doing a lot of earth crops right now as they work on trying to re-create Vulcan species. Some of that was fun. The actual tour part, not the lecture part. That was boring, and they treated us like we were dumb babies. Also, we got to try a bunch of food. I never turn down food.

We also had a day and a half at the Vulcan cultural Center. That started out good with getting to watch a bunch of musicals and plays. It ended badly because the curator is a moron. Although I am now a Vulcan citizen.

That’s a long story. I don’t even know exactly what happened. However, grandpa used a lot of Vulcan words I’m not allowed to repeat.

Why Uncle Spock pushed for this, I don’t know. However, I now have access to the uncensored history of Vulcan. This, I like. Although now Josephine and I have a group project where we compare the public version of Vulcan history to what I now have access to being a Vulcan citizen. Josephine’s mom suggested that we just choose one historical event and compare and contrast. I don’t know what to pick. I’ll ask Spock later or maybe grandpa. It’s nice having a grandfather that is not a sociopath.

On free day we went to the shopping district and had dinner with Spock’s grandfather. He looks like Spock’s clone, but as a senior citizen. They even eat the same way; it’s a little spooky. I have questions.

Oh, I got to meet your old doctor. She was so cool, and I heard all sorts of crazy stories about Uncle Jim from the boarding school years. I wonder if mom knew about that stuff, and that’s why she was so against sending me to boarding school. Or maybe she just wanted to keep me close to her. I don’t know. Unfortunately, she’s not around for me to ask.

Today we began our time at the VSA. I tested into the advanced group, which I’m thankful for. I did not want to do a repeat of the Vulcan farm plant genome lecture. Josephine is sad because she didn’t. She’s 12 and didn’t grow up around scientists like me. So, of course, Josephine is not in the advanced group. However, she was able to explain the provisions of mom’s will to me in plain basic. She definitely knows her way around a legal document.

Today after our test, we took a tour of the facilities. We even got to visit the Wing under construction. Then went over some of the various research projects that they’re working on. Tomorrow will begin the more active participation part of our time at the VSA.

Tomorrow’s astrophysics day. The second is what we would call Earth science. I don’t know the Vulcan term yet. Then we have biology day. I’m excited for this because it looks like we won’t be talked down to and will actually get to do some stuff. I also think we’re going to get to spend some more time at the VSA after everybody else leaves. I don’t know what grandpa has planned. I’ve discovered it’s best not to ask too many questions.

Yes, the bear was more moms than mine. Although I did sleep with it a lot as a toddler. With her gone, the bear is mine. She thought she lost it on the way to Devon. So I’m glad it just got mixed in with my other toys.

Let me say thank you for all the junior science kits. I am looking forward to using those with Uncle Spock. I agree with the adult supervision point for now. But eventually, I will be able to do science on my own. Or at least maybe with Chris one. They love the stuff just as much as me. They are also in my group. (BTW, Chris one is gender non-binary and uses they/them pronouns. Which I found out is actually really common on New Vulcan.) Also in the group is Ashley one, cousin Saavik, Jay, and Reyes Junior. Jay is sad that he’s not working with his girlfriend. I’m just happy to have friends and not be in the same group as Chris three. He’s horrible.

OK, now I’m glad you did buy new Lego sets because I can give them to my cousin. She loves Legos. Unfortunately, that is not something you can get here. They don’t have a store for children at the shopping center. That seems weird since Vulcan is in the middle of a baby boom. Lots of kids clothing and educational learning products stores but no toys for kids. Although they did have three for adults. Ashley one tried to get in but got caught by Ashley three’s future stepdad. Which just added to the embarrassment. Ashley three was very grateful she was with our group.

You’re right; it was for the best at my first time exploring was here on Vulcan. I think it was a lot more fun here than being on the Hamilton. Even if it is an educational vacation. I’m have written too many papers and as you’re aware I have more to come.

At the rate I’m going, I should be done with the high school curriculum by 15. Then I can apply to the VSA with my cousin. I’m going to look into the entrance requirements tomorrow.

Anyway, we will see you in three days. I look forward to making gingerbread and possibly cookies. Please tell me you smuggled in some chocolate chips? Everyone could use a chocolate chip cookie, especially the Vulcans.
XXXX
From: Spock's_cuddlebunny
To: W_Kirk_wellness_Hills
Time sent: 12/20/2260 06:43:01
Subject: Welcome back to the insanity that is Starfleet

I’m also surprised you’re back on a Starfleet ship. You always said they would have to sedate you first. Although I assume you’re doing it just so you can see your grandbaby. Peter is definitely excited to see you, even if he’s having way too much fun on the colony. He gets to do fun things instead of being stuck in diplomatic negotiations. Being an adult is so unfair.

I finally got pictures from the dinner he had a few days ago with Spock’s dad, grandfather, and Suarez. I gave her permission to tell Peter some of my more embarrassing stories. But I don’t know if she did. I just want Peter to learn more about me. We’re still trying to build our relationship. It’s hard raising a traumatized preteen, even with Spock as my co-parent.

As for the situation with the tell-all book, I know Spock is up to something. He rapid messages Shawn at least once a week. I’ve decided not to ask questions. Spock can deal with the idiot relatives. He is adorable when he’s defending my honor. I like it.

I was contacted by the lawyers regarding the bootleg toys. We’re not as upset about that as we are about the vibrator. The heroes of the Federation playset never claimed to know what my husband’s penis looks like.

We just want to make sure the toys are safe. Although considering they’re not willing to pay for our likeness, I am inclined to think not. The lawyers are working on it, and I leave that in their hands. Although I am going to check out the samples you’re bringing. If they’re not horrible, we might turn them over to the kids. Maybe. Toy pocket Spock is adorable. I think I’m going to keep that.

My husband has reminded me that you are an adult, and you are completely entitled to a personal life and to use any toys you should like. I respect that. Also, I may have had the same cynical mindset before Spock, but he made me realize that maybe people aren’t awful. That maybe, love actually exists. Perhaps you already had that with dad, and you don’t think you can find it again. I get that part because I don’t think I would want to remarry if I lost Spock. I would be a broken mess.

Peter and I already had the be careful with alcohol because you come from a family of alcoholics talk. Just so you know, it’s both sides. Although I did tell him we could talk about Vulcan Blondies when he hits 18. With the other Enterprise kids, really 16 is the most I can hope for. He might actually be in college by that point. But I’m not going to get them for him until he’s at least 18.

Yeah, it’s probably best that you brought some projects for the Enterprise kids. They could use distractions. They’re definitely getting in less trouble if they’re constantly busy. Or maybe they’re just better at covering it up compared to the cadets. I can’t talk about all of their shit behavior over the last week and a half. However, I will be talking to Ming about imposing an actual minimum age for the semester on ship. Maybe 17. I was not prepared to deal with 15-year-old cadets or what 20-year-old pricks would do to 15-year-old cadets. Again I can’t talk about it.

Because I can’t talk about so many things, I respect your right to not discuss what you’re working on. Besides, I feel like it would be best to have some sort of plausible deniability. Although I will say, I’m not surprised that Carol’s dad left some surprises behind and that we’re all cleaning it up.

Thank you for going through the storage units. I know it couldn’t have been easy for you. Honestly, it wasn’t easy for me to pack Sam’s stuff in the first place. So I know it was hard for you to go through it. I think that’s why I never went through the storage units.

Yes, I’m the one who packed everything, but I didn’t have to do it alone. Alayna helped me along with her wife and your future doctor. Arlene was there too. I think that was the last time I saw her before what happened on Devon. If I’m doing the math right, Peter would have been three or four months old. But she didn’t say anything. She just cried a lot and cuddled with the bear.

Sam didn’t give her the bear; I did. It was the only thing that made her smile that horrible day. I wanted her to have something of Sam to hold onto. Now I am happier that I did that because that meant Peter had something of Sam’s.

I’m proud of you for not just going through the storage units but also not drinking afterward. That had to be hard on you. But you made it. I know sobriety isn’t one time thing. It’s a constant battle, but I have learned enough that every battle makes a difference. That’s all you can do.

Oh God, I am not surprised at all that the big boss is controlling outside messages. Not after what happened regarding the secret construction of warships. Also, I am not surprised my encryption is causing us to be flagged. I’ve already suspected that because I’m getting the kid's emails later than all the other parents. However, I’m not gonna remove the encryption. After what happened, I want to maintain my privacy as much as possible.

That being said, I have no idea when you’ll actually get this email, but how about waiting until you’re on your way back to Earth to respond. You can gosh about meeting your grandbaby and seeing the beauty of modern Starfleet ships. I bet you snuck into engineering on whatever ship you are temporarily stationed on, didn’t you. Actually, I might have you take a look at Enterprise. Scotty is temporary Captain of the Hamilton, and his replacement kind of blew up parts of engineering. I don’t want to talk about it.

Anyway, I am attaching a bunch of pictures from the kid's summer vacation on New Vulcan. Enjoy, and I hope you at least get the photos quick. Although we’re supposed to be seeing you in like three days. I can’t wait. Now I have to go prep for Nyota being in charge for a week. I’ll talk to you later.

To be continued...

Chapter 135: Day 303: I need an actual vacation

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous. Onward we go.

Chapter Text

From: PC_Enterprise_2260
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: I need a day off
Time arrived: 12/21/2260 00:00:01

I wish we were getting off-duty days. Technically the 25th is supposed to be an off-duty day, but I know we will be wrangling interns. Since it’s not a holiday here, I’m sure they’ll all be making good use of the shopping district. But at least if the over 18 interns end up at sex shops, I can completely ignore their presence like every normal shore leave.

The seminar was thankfully only in the morning. Supposedly this meant we would have the afternoon to ourselves. Olivia and I did have a beautiful kid-free lunch at some Vulcan Mediterranean fusion restaurant. Ashley was graciously invited by the ambassador to join his party. We couldn’t say no to that. It’s good for Ashley to make friends. She didn’t have that many before coming to Enterprise. Those that she did have pretty much abandoned her when her parents died.

Anyway, after lunch, we decided to do some shopping. Olivia needed to get robes for the dinner because she didn’t want to wear the standard-issue robes or her dress uniform. While she was shopping, I went to the store next door, which happened to be the Pleasure Room. Unfortunately, I managed to find Ashley one, Chris two, Reyes Junior, and two junior interns shopping. Granted, I would prefer them there than the cannabis tea house, but there are age limits in place. So I ended up having to take them all back to the dorms. Dr. Reyes had a video chat with her daughter. The doctor was fine with her wanting to go to such stores, but she wanted to be the one to take her next time. Her daughter was scarlet for hours. It was amusing.

I think Olivia is now negotiating with Jim for a three-day kid-free shore leave while the damage in engineering is being fixed. Ashley said she’s willing to do a sleepover to give us some private time. She’s mad at us because we wouldn’t let her go to the sleepover at the ambassador’s house. Apparently, she is not too old for sleepovers with her friends, especially because she has friends again. This I find reassuring.

Olivia wants her to actually be a teenager, and I agree with her. I don’t think I ever had a childhood. I didn’t get to do things like sleepovers because I was in college when I was Josephine’s age and at the Academy by the time I was Ashley’s age. No one really wants to hang out with a 12-year-old college Junior. Sometimes I wish my parents would have let me go at a more relaxed pace. I wish I had time for field trips like what Ashley is doing right now.

Maybe it wasn’t good for me to be at the Academy so young. I am seeing that now with some of the younger cadets. They are smart enough to be here but not mature enough emotionally. They do not have people like you taking them under their wing and keeping them from doing really silly things like attempting to break into the Vulcan tea House a second time. Thankfully, it was Nyota that caught them.

Even though I will be watching the interns, I think I might have my days free when they’re in classes. So we might be able to do some things. Olivia is going to be in seminars learning about Vulcan anatomy. At this point, we just need to stay at the dorms to make sure they don’t have orgies in the common room.

Therefore let’s make plans to go back to the gardens again. I really didn’t enjoy it because I was busy keeping the three Chrises from attacking one another. That has essentially been my job for most of this trip. This is why I worked with Chris two and three on their project at the cultural center. Although maybe it was good for me to participate in some of this. Again I did nothing like this as a teenager. I wanted to do a semester on another planet. However, my parents wouldn’t let me because it would slow down my graduation. This is why I rarely send them letters.

Ashley likes me being there with her. We’re getting along better. I think it helps that she no longer has a crush on me. Although she may have a crush on one of our junior cadets. I’m still trying to figure out who that is. Fingers crossed, they’re under 18. I also hope they’re part of the group leaving after New Vulcan, but I feel like I would not be that lucky.
Xxx

From: NyotaUM
To: Doctor_bones
Time arrived: 12/21/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’ll be home soon
Yes, I did get to go to one of the shops. I’ll show you my purchases when I get home on the 22nd. There are actually three different adult stores in the shopping complex. Thankfully, I did not go into the one that the kids tried to sneak into. That was a little more low-end than the one I went to. Pav did and had to take them back to the dorms. It was probably for the best since they were selling the unauthorized Jim and Spock “merchandise.” I just can’t buy anything from a store that does that. I question the ethics of everything they sell just on principle.

Although I did catch wayward interns breaking into the teahouse at lunch. Thankfully I was able to take care of that and be back for dinner. We had a wonderful dinner. I really miss Dr. Suarez. She is much funnier outside of sessions.

The best part of dinner was older Spock trying to pass off stories of his own childhood as stories from our Spock’s childhood only to learn that things were really different. Peter kept correcting him. Let’s put it this way I’m starting to really believe in the butterfly effect. Just one little change can affect everything.

Today the kids had their first day at the VSA. I have already gotten text messages from Josephine because she’s not having a good time. She is not in the same group as Peter and is upset. She also thinks she’s in the stupid group. I texted her back and reminded her that she is taking classes with people three years older than her and working on the same level. She said that if Peter is in the high Group, she should be in the high Group. At 12, everything is the end of the world.

You know that I have applied for Vulcan citizenship after the mess that happened on Vulcan history day. We had enough rapid messages about it. However, I have to go tomorrow and do the second half of the process. Because I have a mental bond, I don’t have to go through the naturalization exam. It is good because I think I would only pass the language portion. Good news, my grasp of Vulcan curse words is greater than I thought it was. I’ve only been exposed to Vulcan curse words through bureaucratic idiots, not with anybody I am working with.

Anyway, I’ll see you in a couple of days. Miss you.

PS: I sent you a ton of pictures from yesterday. Unfortunately, not my purchases because I’m 99% sure everything’s being screened.
XXXX

 

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Subject:
Time arrived: 12/21/2260 00:00:01
Thank you for writing, Uncle Spock. It’s always good to hear from you. You need to write more often. Although you might be here by the time you get this letter.

I am sad to say that Peter and I did not enjoy government day to the fullest. At least not like the other Enterprise kids did. They got to take a tour. Ashley 3 showed me pictures. It was definitely more fun than watching mom and Peter fill out their citizenship paperwork. Although I now know all the benefits of Peter having citizenship. Did you do this so it would be harder for Peter’s mom’s family to contest the custody arrangement? Because apparently, it is extremely hard to get custody of an adolescent Vulcan citizen when you’re not a Vulcan citizen. Or maybe you just wanted Peter to have the actual history of your culture and not the sanitized for human consumption version. The history books whitewash everything, don’t they? Now Peter and I actually have to write a paper comparing the two versions of history. Do you have an event for us to focus on?

I am 90% sure that government day got moved up because of something that happened that morning at the cultural center. My grasp of the Vulcan language is shaky, but I think the curator didn’t believe that Peter was your son by Vulcan standards. He was not happy and kicked us all out. At least that’s what I got from overhearing a conversation between mom and grandpa. I think we may have had an interplanetary incident on our hands if grandpa did not step in. We really had no choice but to fill out the emergency paperwork after that.

Grandpa said we would get to do the tour after the 25th when you and uncle Jim are doing meetings. I’m looking forward to that. Ashley three said she would come with us because she is not spending her free week in the lab with the other interns. At least the non-Jackie interns. I think there might be something going on there. Or maybe Jackie is the only one Ashley doesn’t find annoying. Ashley two made a lot of jokes about it. Ashley two also wants to stay with us, but her mom said no.

So yesterday, we had dinner with your grandfather and Dr. Suarez. Dr. Suarez has the best uncle Jim stories and lots of pictures. However, I feel like I need to put grandfather in parentheses. Mostly because of all of your remarks about how that’s not how time travel works. So is he your variant, or are you the variant? Are you even allowed to answer that question? That might not be a question you can answer.

So while we were shopping, we may have run into some of the cousin’s absolutely horrible classmates. I promise I did not lay a single finger on them. Although Ashley two and three may have freaked the hell out of them by holding hands. Some other things may have been said that I didn’t pick up on because I was far away. I promise no weapons were brought out.

The shopping district feels like it’s more geared towards adults than kids. There were no toy shops but at least three shops that none of us under 18 were allowed to go in. That’s not counting the special tea houses. Although Ashley one, Reyes Junior, and Chris two did try. Two of the three will be grounded when they get back. Reyes has a different punishment in mind. I promise I did not try to go into any of those stores.

Oh, Ashley one says that you should know they have items with your and Uncle Jim’s picture on them. Are you aware of that? I am definitely going to assume it was unauthorized. You should ask my aunt to help you. She’s done IP lawsuits before.

Anyway, because we did government day early, we started at the VSA today. I just spent my morning getting tested, and my mind is fried. Obviously, I didn’t do well because I’m in the stupid people group without Peter. This is so unfair. I don’t think the next few days are going to be fun. I’m with that Chris. It will be a miracle if I don’t smack him upside the head. Saavik is in the other group too. Apparently, I am the only one too dumb to be there.

We’re taking a tour of the VSA after lunch. I’ll send you pictures.

PS: Is it true that you told the VSA to go fuck themselves. Apparently, you’re a legend and the only person to ever turn down a spot at the VSA. I knew you turned them down, but I didn’t think you were the only one.
Xxx

“Oh God, our pseudo-niece knows about the sex toys. And apparently, you’re a legend at the VSA.” Jim said as he passed his PADD to Spock.

“She also correctly guessed your real motives in getting Peter Vulcan citizenship. Also, for the sake of classified information, stop correcting time travel theories. That girl is smart.” Jim was currently trying to enjoy a cup of coffee before shift as he read through the important emails. Jim had an hour-long meeting with the interim head of engineering that he was already dreading. He misses Scotty so much right now. He’s going to need coffee to get through it.

“I am not surprised she correctly surmised why I was pushing for Peter to have Vulcan citizenship. She can easily understand legal documents and legislation. Also, I am well aware of my reputation at the VSA. Did she also attempt to gain access to the pleasure room?” Spock asked, taking a long drink of tea.

“No. One of the kids who did try told her about it. Apparently, Pav didn’t get them out before they saw some stuff. Although honestly, he should’ve just left them there because I feel like all of them can get into less trouble in the pleasure room than at the teahouse.”

“I think he was concerned that some of the older cadets may take advantage of the presence of the Enterprise teenagers at that particular establishment,” Spock remarked as he finished the last of his tea.

“Not an unreasonable assumption, especially considering what happened a few days ago. OK, so how do I respond to Josephine’s questions?” Jim asked his husband.

“You could tell her that we have already secured counsel and are currently litigating the matter,” Spock suggested.

“Or you could write the response yourself. You should talk to JoJo directly about the custody thing. Also, you have to tell JoJo the true VSA story. I mean, you did tell them to go fuck themselves but in a very Vulcan way. It was very sexy.”

“I will do so in person sometime during our trip. It’s your turn to draft the response. Also, I have a video conference in 10.3 minutes that I must leave for in 2.5 minutes.” Spock said, giving Jim his PADD back.

“That’s so unfair,” Jim said as he reached over to kiss his husband goodbye. He would never be annoyed enough not to kiss his husband goodbye. “I am making you answer all the questions that I can’t reply to in writing tomorrow night.”

“Of course, James.”

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: kitten_loverJJMU; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Subject: we will see you tomorrow
Time sent: 12/21/2260 07:06:01

Hey, it’s Uncle Jim this time. Unfortunately, my other half had a 7 AM video conference. Spock is busy getting ready for a week away from the ship. He’s like an anxious parent leaving the kids with the babysitter for the first time. We completely trust your mom, although we are worried about engineering. If my engineering meeting goes badly today, I will ask Spock if we can bring Chekov back up to take over engineering. Although I am 100% sure he will say no. There’s a 50-50 chance he will quit if we ever made him head engineer again. This is why we got so many people that could work in that capacity.

I hope you have a good time at the VSA. I will not confirm nor deny what your uncle said to the VSA entrance committee. He said he would tell you the story once we’re on the planet, but you can always ask grandpa in the meantime. He was there. But you know that they were highly xenophobic, and they acted like letting him go to that school was doing him a favor.

But let me just say you are not in the stupid group. You figured out the reason why we’re getting Vulcan citizenship for Peter. You have to be very smart to figure that out. If anybody there said that you are in the stupid group, give me their names.

You’re in a group of people who are three years older than you. You’re working on the same level. Actually, I know you’re doing better than a few of them. I think Peter only made it in the other group because he grew up on a science colony. You know you don’t have to compete with the other Enterprise kids. You can work on your own level. It’s OK for you to be 12. You don’t have to compare yourself to other people. I think they broke you guys up into different groups so they would have an idea where to start.

I’m so sorry government day wasn’t what it was originally supposed to be. I think we knew it was going badly by the time Spock wrote his response. We had to have some emergency video conferences with the museum. Yes, you were kicked out because Peter had access due to being Spock’s ward and the curator being a moron. I’m also sorry that you were stuck doing paperwork with the others. It’s probably best that you’re going to get your own tour with your friends.

I expect Ashley three to be spending a lot of time with you guys. None of you are going to have preplanned activities after the other kids leave. This is a vacation for her, just like you and Peter. Unfortunately, her guardians are still working. So we’re going to have to keep her entertained. Would you be mad if we went to the animal sanctuary again? I want to pet an actual version of Annie.

Yeah, I’ve been told that the shopping district is definitely more geared towards adults right now. Which is a little sad that there are no toy stores. Spock told me before that toy stores have never been a big thing in Vulcan culture. Vulcans do more learning aids than toys; this predates the colony. Although he did have something similar to Legos. It was called a building engineer simulator or something like that. We should check out the learning store to see what things they have.

Thank you for letting us know about the unauthorized merchandise. We are aware and are suing. Your aunt’s law firm is representing us. I don’t know if she is personally working on the case. Although she has intellectual property experience, so it is possible. Actually, there is a lot of unauthorized use of our images, including actual toys. My mom is bringing something called Heroes of the Federation playset.

Winona is looking forward to being with you guys. This is good because you can hang out with her when Spock and I are stuck in boring meetings. We’re going to be doing a lot of boring meetings. You can also hang out with Liz, Kevin, and the babies. I expect you really want to be with the babies.

Anyway, I bet this reply will get to you after we see each other. Some of your questions will have to be answered in person. Although again, you’re very smart because you figured out some things that are really, really classified. See, this is why you should never call yourself stupid.

XXXX
From: SuluHG2260
To: PC_Enterprise_2260
Subject: You definitely need a day off
Time sent: 12/21/2260 12:23:01

You definitely need a break. I heard about the shopping incident from Reyes. Sue couldn’t stop laughing. Honestly, I wouldn’t have even bothered to take the kids out of the store. I would’ve just told them that I was rapid messaging their guardians.

On a positive note, at least you didn’t run into your girlfriend’s kid there. Although I feel like you definitely would have walked out of the store and pretended that she wasn’t there. Hopefully, you’ll have time for another shopping trip later. We will make Liz and Kevin watch the kids. Or my sisters. If they are going to show up at the colony, they should definitely get babysitting time.

Let’s go to the gardens on the 26th. From what I gathered, you’re really just on call if the interns do silly things like actually trying to have an orgy. Your days are free, no more keeping Chrises from attacking each other. However, your girlfriend is going to be taking extra training classes. We’re going to have more Vulcan crew members soon, so we need to be prepared.

I was happy to look out for you. I think it came naturally because I have a little sister and a big sister. I just felt like you needed someone. Maybe it was a good thing that we ended up roommates. Actually, I think they purposely put you with an older roommate for that reason. It’s obvious stuff like this isn’t happening with the newer Enterprise cadets. Maybe that’s part of the reason why they brought them here.

We leave tomorrow in the morning for the colony. Fortunately, we are beaming down, not taking a shuttle, thank the universe. It’s faster that way since we’re much farther from the planet right now. Also, only five of us are going down. I’m already packed. Honestly, I’m looking forward to being off the ship for a few days. The fact that I’m going to see my daughter and fiancé again is the cherry on top. (I have mixed feelings about seeing my sisters.) Thankfully, I am on actual leave for most of our time. Although I do think I have a few meetings with the botany department at the VSA. But for me, that feels like vacation time. That’s not going to be until the 27th.

I am glad that you’re bonding with Ashley. I think it’s good for you even if you will never think of her as a stepdaughter. I just realized that she’s the same age as your sister would have been. That must be hard. Maybe you have more of a big brother relationship with Ashley. That’s OK. It is obvious you’re freaking out at the prospect of her being interested in someone. We can have Liz find out who. She’s very good at that sort of thing.

Anyway, we’ll see you tomorrow. We are finding a nice Vulcan teahouse. We deserve all the Vulcan tea.
Xxxxx
From: Doctor_bones
To: NyotaUM
Time sent: 12/21/2260 21:29:01
Subject: re: I’ll be home soon

Only one more day now until you’re back. I am extremely grateful for that because I really miss you. This place is way too empty without you and Josephine. There’s a 50% chance I’m going to kiss you the moment you step off the transporter pad regardless of who is there. I’m sure you also have some stories that you couldn’t share in writing. I look forward to them all.

I still think you made the right decision getting citizenship. Even if you have to do more paperwork. It saved Jim’s life on a mission.

At the same time, I don’t know how I feel about the prospect of us moving to the planet of the Spocks. Especially because I realize that Spock is one of the less stuck-up ones. And apparently, we’ve been surrounded by liberal Vulcans. If these are liberal Vulcans, what are the conservative Vulcans like? Probably like the guy filling out your paperwork who insulted you until he realized you were fluent in Vulcan.
I’m glad you had a good dinner the other night. I miss Suarez too. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Dr. Margarita and Reyes, but Suarez was a good woman to have on the ship. She’s a very capable psychiatrist. She definitely wouldn’t take shit from anyone. I miss that, although Reyes is similar. Margarita is too sweet, which makes her perfect for JoJo. The woman has us all calling her by her first name, so she doesn’t trigger our bad memories of her predecessor.

I blame Josephine’s self-esteem issues on the ex-wife. Anything but an A+ was a complete and utter failure to the witch. I thought Josephine was doing better with that, but it looks like there was a little setback. I’ll see what her letter says in a few days. Hopefully, I’ll get it tomorrow, if the pattern holds at least.

I’m glad you at least like your coworkers on the colony. Work has not been as nice for me. It’s miserable, and we are down a doctor. At least we’re not doing planetside missions, so I’m mostly dealing with training accidents and STI outbreaks right now. There are vaccines for 95% of STIs, and yet some people don’t take them. I am surrounded by idiots. Seriously, take the vaccine. I do not want to be dealing with your case of Romulan gonorrhea. Not at all.

I hope you picked up some massage oil from the pleasure room because I could use it. I need to relax. But I can’t relax with you gone. I really can’t wait until you’re here. I miss you and love you.

To be continued…

Chapter 136: Day 304: Welcome to New Vulcan

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely.

Chapter Text

From: NyotaUM
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/22/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I’m glad I’ll be going home soon

 

I’m just going to send this to both of you. That way, Spock doesn’t have to read this over your shoulder. Oh, we should definitely do a Vulcan night when we all get back. I’ll pick up some movie chips to add to the database before I come back. You know streaming doesn’t work right in deep space. Also, pretty much everything’s in Standard, with universal translator subtitles.

I just survived another afternoon in Vulcan bureaucratic hell. Good news, not everybody that works in the New Vulcan naturalization office is an asshole. I had to do round two of my citizenship application. Things went so much better this time, not dealing with someone utterly hateful and xenophobic. Fingers crossed, I will actually be a Vulcan citizen by summer. I feel like my clerk today won’t accidentally lose my paperwork. That happened with the first round. Thankfully the ambassador dealt with it.

Are you pushing this so it will be easier for me to become Peter’s Guardian? I’m like 99% sure you’re having Peter become a Vulcan citizen so his maternal grandmother can’t touch him. The drawback is it will make it hard for Peter to live with Kevin or Winona. But by making me a citizen, that problem is dealt with. Or is there an exception for non-Vulcan family members of the Vulcan citizen? But if there is an exemption, then that would void the protections. We definitely need to talk about this.

It feels weird getting this email after we’ve had several rapid messages to do work stuff. I’m still happy that the asshole is in the brig. Fingers crossed, he does get court-martialed and off the ship before Josephine gets back. I don’t want that pedophile anywhere near my daughter or the other girls.

It’s not a bad idea to have the general ship population redo the training modules. I suggest adding a “how to tell the difference between shore leave and a mission” module. Do the cadets not realize this is not a shore leave? Because I don’t think they do. Be on the watch on the 25th because it’s another free day. Bad things will happen; I just know it.

You should definitely do the counselor certification. It would be good for you. Ashley said that she could not have gotten through these last few days without talking to you. You get it in a way the rest of us don’t, unfortunately. You’ve helped her a lot, and I think you can help other people. It’s always good if the people in charge actually have those skills. As you mentioned, a lot of captains don’t do that.

Besides, you and Spock are probably always going to be a command team, even if you keep swapping out who’s the captain. One of you needs to actually have interpersonal skills. Although Spock is my best friend, I feel you’re a little better at it. He’s trying, but it’s hard to overcome a lot of cultural bullshit. After being here for a week and a half, I can fully appreciate that. Actually, I’m surprised Spock is as warm and affectionate as he is. The ambassador still goes stiff when Peter hugs him. At least for the first five seconds.

Can I have a video of Spock trying to explain the Vulcan birds and bees to Peter? Especially when the bees go into fuck or die mode. I feel like that’s going to be entertaining. Although I just saw Peter blushing while reading his letter from Spock, I wonder if he did it in letter form.

I just got confirmation that he did, and Peter is very, very embarrassed. He let me read parts of the letter. Spock didn’t even include anything about fuck or die. Which is appropriate for a letter to a 12-year-old. I don’t even think Josephine was that embarrassed during our talk, and I told her that I had sex with Gaila after Marc died.

BTW, I now know how the Ashleys defused the situation with the evil classmates. They held hands. Peter has pictures. By Vulcan standards, it was considered quite vulgar. It was probably made worse because the girls in question come from a conservative Vulcan family. They are very against same-gender partnerships, especially in light of the Vulcan genocide despite alternative reproduction methods. The ambassador explained this to me. He was there even though I wasn’t. I’ve been told he actually smirked during the incident.

I was shopping at the time. Yes, I picked up some things for Leonard. I will never tell you what I picked up. Of the three shops, I recommend you go to Paradise. It’s the one that’s the most high-end and will probably have the most stuff you’re not allergic to. Bonus points, you won’t run into your likeness on any of the products. Ashley one wanted me to let you know that you should consider legal action. Although most of the kids now know about the sex toys bearing your likeness. All of them are 100% sure it was done without your consent or knowledge. So, you should be really happy about that.

It’s day two at the VSA, and there have been no major non-Chris 3 incidents. Josephine is still mad she’s not in the same group as Peter. Thankfully, I did confirm that none of the actual VSA members refer to it as the stupid group. If they did, we would’ve had a problem. I’ve also successfully convinced her that she’s not stupid for being in that group. But it took a meeting with one of the instructors to do so.

Although somebody did call Chris three a fucking moron. In Vulcan behind his back. Which, after what happened this morning, is completely deserved. He didn’t follow instructions during a simple exercise to review the scientific method and almost blew something up. Thankfully my daughter stopped him. I rapid messaged his mom, and he’s coming back up with me. I’m sure the kids are looking forward to two days without him now.

I’m just happy that he will be his mom’s problem again. I’m also glad that his mom is not on my team because I do not want to deal with her full-time. I don’t think she’s the one looking at the sites, but I feel like she’s completely over her head with Chris 3 and doesn’t know how to handle him.

I get that. I was completely thrown into parenthood headfirst without any warning, and I think I’m doing relatively well. OK, I’m trying to undo the mountain of self-esteem issues caused by my predecessor. However, I am nowhere near as horrible as my own father. I consider that progress.

So I probably should take a moment to let you know what you need to know before arriving here. No work stuff because we cover that elsewhere.

I’m leaving my child with you. Do not screw things up. Please help her realize she is absolutely brilliant. Make sure she does not do anything she’s not supposed to like cannabis-infused lemon bars. Keep the allergy hypos handy.

The ambassador’s compound is huge, and it even includes a guest house. I think that’s where the Sulu-Chen family will be staying. Although Liz and Kevin are taking over my current room. You and Spock have your own wing in the main house. The ambassador made the whole compound human-friendly. I think this might be the only house with air-conditioning. The dorms have it, but that’s because they’re Starfleet. The regular VSA dorms don’t.

 

Ashley 2 is coming back with the other kids on the 24th. Although she’ll be staying at the compound until then. However, Ashley three might be taking her place. Olivia doesn’t want her in the dorms practically alone with just the cadets. She thinks they’re a bad influence.

Bring lots of sunscreen. I think it’s only a small miracle that Peter only got a tiny bit burnt. Also, I probably sound like my boyfriend right now but make sure you bring all your allergy hypos. I would hate for you to pull a Chris three.

Stay hydrated. I can’t stress this enough. We had another heatstroke incident among the cadets. The cadets are supposed to have survival training before they do their semester on a ship, right? If not, that should change.

Anyway, I’ll see you soon for our handover. Then you can be the one sending me messages from New Vulcan.
Xxxxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones
Subject: greetings from the VSA
Time arrived: 12/22/2260 00:00:01

You will be happy to know that everyone in my group has stayed properly hydrated. There have been zero cases of heatstroke among us Enterprise kids. We’ve even used the hydration hypos you sent. I also scanned all the food at the restaurant. Which was for the best because one of the desserts contained a berry in the strawberry family. Dad, I promise we are all staying on our best behavior.

Oh, you’re right. Chris three should come up early. Especially after I barely kept him from blowing himself up this morning. I think he is going to go up when mom goes up. Maybe he won’t throw up with beaming back. One can hope.

Free day was great, especially because we didn’t have to deal with Peter accidentally having a strawberry reaction. It was good to just hang out with my friends. Although Vulcan malls are severely lacking in things like arcades and really anything fun. Grandpa says it will eventually get better, but I still have my doubts.

We have now reached the VSA portion of our time here. I think I liked a lot of the other more hands-on activities better. Unfortunately, the afternoon was spent going through a lot of research data. Well, after Chris three tried to blow himself up anyway. My head hurts, and apparently, I am in the lower group. I don’t even want to know what Peter’s group is doing right now. Of course, we could be doing all this because of Chris’s screw-up. Mom just confirmed that Chris is definitely leaving on the 22nd. So we will have a few days in class without him.

It’s starting to hit me that I’m not going to be here without Ashley 2 and Jay for a week and a half. This is the first time we’ve really been apart since we’ve become this big friend group. But they want to spend the holiday with their family, and I can’t begrudge them that. I am sad I will not be with you and mom, but I am looking forward to gingerbread house day. Also, apparently, somebody is sneaking in chocolate coins. This was another one of Amanda’s traditions. I wonder how that worked with chocolate being a controlled substance on Vulcan. I have so many questions.

I apologize for my rant last time. I didn’t think of the situation from a confidentiality perspective until you pointed it out. I should’ve known better because I grew up with a lawyer mother. Attorney-client privilege was pretty much a bedrock of everything she did. So I didn’t know a lot about her job or the things going on. I accepted that.

However, maybe it was easier to accept that because she never told me anything. I didn’t even know how bad grandpa was to her until things came out during the trial. As much as you tried to keep the worst of it from me, I still knew. So I respect you not telling me stuff because of your job. Your patients have a right to privacy. But don’t keep things from me that you can tell me just because you think I’m too young to deal with it.

At the same time, I am doing kid activities. The sleepover went well. Ashley 2 had a full night’s sleep which is all we really could ask for. We had so much fun, and I think we might do it again on the 22nd and have Ashley 3 come as well. I’ve successfully convinced Olivia to let her stay with us instead of the dorms by herself. Plus, Ashley 3 is going to be doing a ton of activities with us.

I will have you know that my vegetable consumption has gone up by 85% on New Vulcan. This might be because all the lunches on campus are vegan, but it’s been good. Vulcan pizza is good but get actual vegetables, not the fake meat products. They still taste like vegetables. Unlike fake earth meat products, they’re not really trying to pretend. It’s weird.

Anyway, I miss you, and I promise I’ll send more pictures. Especially at the banquet. Not as much from the VSA. A lot of stuff we’re not allowed to take photos of because of “operational security.” But I will whenever we can.

 

XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/22/2260 00:00:01
Subject: let’s hold off on that conversation for a few years

I am perfectly OK not knowing about the Vulcan fertility cycle. It was traumatizing enough when mom tried to explain human sexuality to me the first time. Without having a dad around, it was her job. It was ridiculously uncomfortable, and we didn’t even have the full talk. That has so far fallen to Uncle Jim. The human version was enough, thank you very much.

Although thinking about how you and Uncle Jim figured out the latex allergy also makes me uncomfortable. I am pretty sure I know what trial and error actually involved. I would prefer not to know. At least at 12. Probably at some point down the road, I would want to read those papers for purely scientific reasons. But not at this time.

I love the VSA and astrophysics. We are studying stars. I still want to apply here when I’m old enough. I’m going over the curriculum requirements and adjusting what I’m learning on the ship to ensure I have all the prerequisites covered. I’m going to need more serious science time. Can I do lab hours? I love all of this.

Josephine is sad because she’s in the other group. But she feels a little better now that she realizes there’s not that much of a knowledge gap between the two groups. I think it’s just so we can be in smaller groups and get to really interact with the projects. That backfired this morning in Josephine’s group, but at least because of that, Chris three is going home early. How do you not follow directions that simple? We weren’t even working with something that dangerous. It was just something to teach us the scientific method. Which his group was only doing because some people were severely lacking.

With him gone, Gina mentioned that we might merge for biology and chemistry days. Because he was really the only person who was far behind. Even if he leaves the morning of the 22nd, we will have two days of classes after leaving. Also, I think Josephine and I might have another day or two on campus after everybody returns. I wonder what we will be doing. I think it will be fun.

Dinner was good. The shopping center was OK. It was better than the last Starbase we visited, at least. However, they have no toy stores. What type of shopping district has no choice stores? Although they did have someplace called the Learning Palace, which had many junior science kit-type things. I made good use of my stipend. I may have purchased the Vulcan equivalent to Legos. Space is boring. I need toys. OK, these aren’t actually toys, but they’ll at least keep the boredom at bay.

I’m just going to go come out and ask, is my great-grandpa really a Spock variant? He’s you but like in 100 years. Because all his stories that he told us did not match what you told us happened. They were just all off, and he was surprised to know that. So, either he lived a different life, or he has dementia. It is possible, but I don’t like that possibility.

It’s OK that you didn’t completely explain the citizenship thing to me. I trust your judgment on this, especially if it will keep me away from the evil witch. I do not under any circumstances want to live with my maternal grandmother. She is a horrible human being, and I absolutely despise her. I did before she killed my aunt.

I should tell you that part of my reluctance to call you and Jim my uncles is because I had an aunt once. She was taken from me because they were so awful. She was like you and Jim, a.k.a. not that heterosexual. I don’t want to lose more family. Maybe I’m trying not to get attached, but all of you make it very hard not to be attached. I now have a cousin. It’s weird. But a good weird.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you very soon. I miss you all.

Xxx
“Welcome to New Vulcan,” Nyota said the moment they beamed into the transporter room of the VSA.

“At least their transporter rooms are pretty,” Jim said as he stepped off the transporter pad. Spock followed behind his spouse.

“They went with a bit more modern architecture versus more traditional Vulcan styles. But I like it.” Nyota explained.

“Because it was more expedient. I believed our crew helped with constructing this facility when we were here previously.” Spock remarked.

“I think so too, but I kind of blocked out a lot from that trip,” James added.

“The next section is going to be a bit more traditional. I got to look at the plans, and the next phase is going to be amazing.” Nyota explained.

“I am glad to see that you have survived your time with teenagers and preteens well.” Spock expressed.

“As well as can be expected. Although I am sad that the Admiral’s ship is a day behind, and I’m not going to get to see the babies.” Nyota remarked as they followed her out of the transporter room. Their bags would be handled by the ensign there.

“You know we’re going to end up bringing the babies to the ship for at least a couple of hours. They should see daddy’s workstation. It’s the closest thing Enterprise will have to take your child to work day.”

“And are you OK with this captain?” Nyota asked, turning to Spock.

“I have already filled out the paperwork, Acting Captain Uhura.” Nyota smiled at the use of her new title.

“Don’t I have the best husband,” James said, leaning over to wrap his hand around Spock’s.

“I know you two are used to making out Vulcan style all the time, but you’re going to scandalize the locals. Maybe keep the hand PDAs down to a minimum,” Nyota commented just as they passed two researchers in the hallway. Both had their eyebrows elevated. Jim and Spock quickly separated. Although Spock was reluctant to do so.

“You can make out once we get to conference room 1106. I have pastries, and you guys can get me up to speed on what I need to watch for.”

“Our main project is going well with the team from the VSA.” Spock supplied.

“However, engineering is still a hot mess. Scotty’s illegal alcohol empire is what kept it from being worse. You have any idea how hard it is to keep that stuff out of the official record.” Spock and James ended up writing the report together to make sure there were no inconsistencies in their modified explanation of what happened.

“I’ve heard. No more work talk until I get coffee. It’s like 5 AM here, and I haven’t even had breakfast yet.” Spock looked down at his PAD to realize it was 5:03 AM local time. It was 8:58 AM when they left the ship.

“We apologize for not taking into account the time difference when we chose this time.”

“It’s OK. This just means I get to see Leonard sooner. I said goodbye to the kids last night because I know they don’t want to wake up any earlier than they have to. The ambassador will bring them to the VSA today.”

“I already got a text message about that,” James said, looking at his device. “Oh, it looks like I just got a response from you overnight. And we got an email from Peter, who is ridiculously embarrassed because he got Spock’s first sex talk via email. I knew I should’ve looked over your letter before you hit the send button.” James commented.

“It is crucial for us to discuss these things.”

“I think I wrote that two days ago after a slightly better day at the Vulcan naturalization office.”

“I can’t wait to read the whole thing in one of the many boring meetings we have this afternoon. We don’t even get to take them together. We have so many meetings we’re going to have to split up to cover more ground. They’re taking advantage of the fact we are both captains. I hate meetings with ambassadors,” James lamented.

“I am filling in for Admiral Chen at a few meetings. You are taking my place at the meetings I was to attend with you,” Spock explained.

“This explains why I’m now doing the run-through for the dedication ceremony and banquet alone. There are going to be representatives from 20 different planets at this thing.”

“Poor baby. I guess I won’t hear from you guys for a few days.”

“Probably not. We have a working lunch, and again we’re not even together. Spock, how sad is that?”

“Quite unfortunate,” Spock responded.

“However, I made sure that you and Spock will be able to pick Peter up from the program today at six and go to dinner together as a family. I did not make reservations, but I did leave recommendations.” Nyota informs the couple.

“Thank you,”

“I know we’re taking Josephine with us. However, how many Ashleys will be with us?” James asked.

“Two, Olivia said that it’s OK for her to go over tonight, so she can have a bit of a sleepover. Although you are going to have to bring Ashley two back to the VSA on the morning of the 24th to get on the shuttle back to Enterprise.”

“No problem, we are responsible adults, and Ashley 2 adores me.”
Xxxxxx
From: Doctor bones
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: I promise I’m doing well on New Vulcan
Time sent: 12/22/2260 19:23:01

Hey, sweetie. It’s great to hear from you, and I’m happy to know that you’re are taking care of yourself. According to your mom, she didn’t have to remind you to stay hydrated and out of the sun. So that’s good.

Just so you know, she got back here safely a couple of hours ago. Then went promptly to the bridge. I was hoping we could have more than 10 minutes together. However, Chris 3 did throw up when he got off the transporter. I didn’t even get to kiss your mom. This might be why she resorted to texting me while she was on duty. A captain’s work is never done. Better her than me, though. I would be horrible at it. I do not want to be in charge. I am much better off in sickbay.

Now that your mom is back here, Jim and Spock are in charge. Please listen to them. Well, listen to Spock. Your Uncle Jim is getting better at being a parent, but he still working some things out. I trust the Vulcan on New Vulcan, at least. You’re less likely to cause an interplanetary incident that way.

I’ve enjoyed all your pictures so far. It definitely looks like you had fun at the dinner. It’s OK if I don’t get pictures from the VSA. Just be safe there. Although I’ve heard you kept Chris from blowing himself up, which is good. How did that happen with an experiment with no dangerous chemicals? I hope you and the other kids are having a good few days in class without him. I want to hear all about your projects.

I know you’re going to be sad away from your friends, but you’ll get to see Lizzy and Kevin and the babies. I know how much you adore the babies. You’ll be so busy with them you won’t even think about your other friends. Of course, you can write them. I think they would enjoy hearing from you.

Although don’t forget to write your mom and me. We want to know everything going on. We still expect lots of pictures.

Xxxxx
Peter loves the Vulcan Science Academy. It was his happy place. He enjoyed discovering new things and actually getting to participate hands-on. Also, unlike the week before at the farm, nobody talked to him like an idiot. They were all in one group now that Chris three was gone. Josephine was happy about that. OK, they were all happy that Chris three wasn’t with them. They were no longer counting down the minutes until class was over. Although Peter wondered who was picking them up today. They said goodbye to Nyota last night because she had to leave at 4 AM to meet Uncle Jim and Spock. Maybe grandpa was coming to get them.

“What experiments are you currently working on?”

“I am…” Peter began to say before he realized it was Spock standing behind him asking questions. “Uncle Spock, you’re here. When did you get here?”

“At approximately 4:59 AM local time. Unfortunately, your uncle and I have been in meetings for most of the day.” His uncle did not seem happy about that.

“That’s too bad. But you’re here now. Where’s Jim?”

“Currently going through a walk-through for tomorrow’s dedication ceremony. Thankfully, my attendance was not mandatory. I prefer to be here.”

“You’re always happier in the lab,” Peter remarked.

“I prefer scientific exploration to unnecessary meetings that can be covered via an email. I would much rather learn about what you’re learning than sit through another meeting regarding New Vulcan/Starfleet relations.” At that, Peter began to explain to Spock everything that they’ve been working on that day. Josephine and his cousin quickly joined in.

Xxx

Group text message to Peter and Spock. [You are seeing it from the perspective of Spock cell phone/communicator.]

T’hy’la: Hey, I am sorry I could not be there for pick up. I really wanted to see you so badly. Peter, I miss you so much.

Peter: I miss you too. I’m having fun doing science with Spock, but when do you think you’ll be done?

T’hy’la: I’m not entirely sure but maybe 30 more minutes? At a minimum. They screwed up the seating arrangements. We will have to redo some things to hopefully avoid an interplanetary incident. Or a fight breaking out at a table.

Spock: How did that happen?

T’hy’la: Protocol decided that they knew better than our civilian event planner, and they didn’t. Actually, they most likely flunked history, which is really dangerous if you’re protocol. The first rule is don’t put planets fighting each other for a century at the same table. Don’t worry, we are fixing it.

Spock: Good.

T’hy’la: As much as I want to try the cuisine of the shopping district, I think this is a pizza night. Spock, you know what I like. Will they deliver to your father’s house? Please say yes.

Peter: They do deliver to grandpa’s house.

T’hy’la: Thank the universe. Like seriously, it’s after 10 ship time, and we’ve been on the clock since 7 AM. I really want to go to sleep, but since it’s only 6:23 PM planet time, I’m trying not to yawn even though I really want to. This may have been why I read Peter and Nyota’s letters during the last meeting so I wouldn’t fall asleep.

Spock: You should be focusing on work.

T’hy’la: Me falling asleep would have been so much worse. I took meticulous notes, and I’ve already emailed them to you.

Spock: I will review them tonight.

T’hy’la: Peter, I really wish somebody would have filmed you when you were reading Spock’s response. I bet you just had the cutest little blush.

Peter: Can we please not talk about anything I wrote in that letter. I think I had too much candy.

Spock: Not even the possibility of adding more lab time to your academic curriculum?

Peter: We can talk about that after dinner but nothing else.

T’hy’la: Agreed. However, I’m hugging you when I get out of here. Also, let me just say that I understand it being hard to let people in. Your uncle Spock and I danced around each other for months because we were both terrified. But we eventually figured it out.

Spock: Miraculously so.

Peter: You owe me the full story of how you guys got together.

T’hy’la: I promise you’ll hear it but maybe not tonight.

Spock: We would prefer to tell you the story without all your friends there. Apparently, we are hosting a sleepover. I hope you will be leaving soon because you are better equipped to deal with teenagers.

T’hy’la: I think we have 20 more minutes. I hope. Please tell me you’ve ordered food?

Spock: The pizza has been ordered. We ordered you a separate pie with nothing you’re allergic to. We felt this was the safest option.

T’hy’la: You are the best husband.

Peter: I can’t wait to see you either. We also ordered lemon bars.

T’hy’la: Since we are getting them from the pizza place, I doubt that they are the special kind of lemon bars. Because honestly, I really could use a Vulcan headache lemon bar or Blondie.

Spock: Unfortunately, no, but I will give you a message when you get home.

T’hy’la: You really are the best husband. Please tell me you had time to get the massage oil from Paradise? I know your lunch meetings were in the shopping district. I ended up with cafeteria food.

Peter: Please remember I’m on this chain before you two start Sexting.

T’hy’la: Sorry.

T’hy’la: They’re letting us out. I’ll see you and your friends soon.

To be continued…

Chapter 137: Day 305: Greetings from the Vulcan contingent

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are all wonderful. I would like to say this is the beginning of normal size chapters again, but the next one will be on the big side once again.

For the sake of consistency, emails will be date stamped from the perspective of the Enterprise server. The ship is four hours ahead of New Vulcan

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

. Him and : mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/23/2260 00:00:01
Subject: The 27th works for me

Yes, the 27th works perfectly. I’ll make reservations. There is a café near the clinic that I absolutely adore. It opened about six months ago, but it’s the best. I prefer it to the restaurants in the shopping district. It’s less pretentious there. Vulcans have perfected the art of being pretentious.

I entirely believe that these messages are being screened. I didn’t get this until two days after meeting Peter, Josephine, and all of their friends. They are all great kids. The one you call Ashley two said wonderful things about you. Apparently, you’ve been her mentor in the support group that you’re running on the ship. I am so proud of you. You’ve come so very far from that scared little kid that I had to pick up from lock up all those years ago.

It is good that you’re being an advocate. You’re in a position to change things. I think you can change things and create a better environment. You’re a survivor; therefore, you’re going to see things differently than others. You have to push for real policy changes. I think you can. I believe in you.

Peter said all great things about you as well. The child absolutely adores you and Spock. He is surprisingly well-adjusted, considering the trauma that he went through. See, you’re good at this parenting thing.

 

Peter loved all the stories about you and Spock. Well, once the ambassador took over anyway. Thank you for rapid messaging me permission to tell him some of the more crazy things. I still don’t know how you managed to get that pig in the Dean’s office without anyone catching you.

Although I didn’t tell Peter about the car incident. That’s something you have to tell him about. I don’t know if he’s ready to know that you tried to kill yourself when you were a child. I don’t know if you’re prepared to talk about it, but someday you’ll need to. Maybe not today but eventually.

Leonard’s daughter was also lovely. Nyota sometimes emails, so I’ve seen recent pictures, but it was great to see her in person. I’m still sad you didn’t bring everybody up for the wedding. However, I could understand that you wanted to keep the New Vulcan ceremony small, and it was ridiculously hot. Most of the humans, including myself, were lightly red by the time it was over with.

Oh, I heard all sorts of things about Chris 3 when I did a little shopping with the kids. He was radicalized by outside sources. You definitely want to check what he’s reading. Also, take a look at who else he’s been hanging out with on the ship. I think you might have a little human supremacist cell on Enterprise. Look for the people that resent having only a half-human for a captain.

Actually, with Spock as captain, you really want to be careful with these people. They may be more vicious. This is definitely something to look into.

I will let your husband’s counterpart tell you about his experiences with the kids. Although, I did learn how much the timeline branched. The butterfly effect is real. Do you think I would be allowed to write a paper on it? Probably not.

Anyway, when you get to the colony, shoot me a text message. Email is obviously working strangely.

Xxxxx
From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 12/23/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Re: We must have tea together

I would be happy to have tea or possibly lunch with you on the 26th. I believe my schedule will allow me to attend the demonstration that my counterpart has prepared. Spock will take the kids to lunch, and we can dine separately. Although I am still taking you to the tea house. I’m sure there are some things that you would like to pick up. Although many things are probably different, I am sure my other self has an exemption. The exemption is also applicable to you by virtue of being his spouse. You do share living quarters, after all.

I hope you received all the pictures I took of Peter and Josephine during our afternoon together. Both are very sweet children. They always have been, and I’m grateful for that universal constant. But I can also tell that Josephine is a young lady raised by Nyota. She’s a little fiercer and more concerned with injustice. She is also the first one to get in a fight. Thankfully, her friends were able to creatively prevent such an incident when they encountered s bullies.

This is a very different timeline. It became even more obvious when I told Peter and Josephine stories about my childhood, only to come to realize your Spock’s childhood was very different. This should’ve been obvious when I discovered that Michelle only lived with my father and Amanda for six months. I thought that was the only difference, but I was wrong. It seems that ripples eventually become waves.

Normally, I do not discuss what happened in my other life. However, since the events have already passed in your timeline, I’m comfortable sharing this with you. Yes, your counterpart did have a stronger relationship with Nana Kirk. In the sense that he had one at all. I assume that because your father was alive, he was reluctant to terminate his relationship with his mother, despite her more toxic behavior. My James did spend summers with her. I fear that some of her ideology may have been passed to him. Not all, he was never human-centric, but I don’t think he was anywhere near as comfortable as you are with being nonheterosexual. He mostly engaged with those who consider themselves female.

I was usually the exception. Because of that, things did not run smoothly. Not like your relationship with my counterpart. So once again, not all changes made in this timeline were for the worst.

Of course, some things are constant. I am so sad that Peter lost both of his parents, even if the circumstances were different. But he seems so happy with you and Spock. He talked about the two of you constantly. I also enjoy seeing my father be a doting grandfather. Unfortunately, this is something I was not able to witness during my first lifetime. I’m grateful to see it in my second.

I hope this email reaches you before seeing you at the dedication ceremony. If it does, please text me any details about our meeting on the 26. I look forward to seeing you then.

Xxxx
December 23, 2260 7:32 AM planet time

Jimmie: Hey, just texting to let you know that Spock and I are on the planet. We actually got here at like 5 AM local time yesterday, but we went straight into meetings for the rest of the day.

Jimmie: I had to pass on your Intel to Nyota regarding Chris 3. BTW the Ashleyes confirmed and gave me more details. The investigators are looking into it.

Jimmie: We are too busy to eat and breathe right now. Chen was delayed, so Spock had to take over most of her meetings. I had to do his solo. Considering they had no trouble beaming over the event planner 3 days early to the planet, they could’ve done the same with Chen. Allegedly, it wasn’t possible once they realized the ship would not get here in time. I think she wants more baby time without having to share.

Suarez: Probably. It’s okay. I understand your job. Did you actually get my last email? If you haven’t, the 27th works for me.

Jimmie: Good to know. Yes, I got your email. It arrived around 8 PM last night, but at that point, we were chaperoning teenagers and trying not to fall asleep in the pizza since it was midnight ship time. Spock was fabulous because Vulcans need less sleep.

Jimmie: I, on the other hand, ended up with a drawing of a dick on my face. Don’t fall asleep first at a sleepover

Suarez: And your husband let this happen?

Jimmie: There is a 50-50 chance that Spock was the one who did it. Especially because washable markers were used. My husband is nowhere near as sweet and innocent as he appears.

Suarez: I’m aware. What are you doing right now?

Jimmie: Ensure the hordes eat breakfast before dropping them off at the VSA.

Jimmie: Good news, I can make a proper Vulcan porridge. Bad news none of the kids other than the sister-in-law want to eat it. But I made my father-in-law happy, so that’s all I can really ask for.

Suarez: Do I need to send you a link for a bakery near the VSA?

Jimmie: Yes, and not just because I don’t want the kids to starve. I want to pick up some Vulcan pastries. I did bring a stasis box because I want to get Spock some local treats.

Suarez: You should probably wait until your last day to do most of that shopping. Especially for food items. There are also many shelf-stable treats that don’t need the stasis box you can pick up. I’ll send you a link to the good grocery store.

Jimmie: Thank you. And you’re right about waiting. Theoretically, I only have two meetings that day. I’ll have Spock give me a list of his favorites. I don’t know if Vulcan junk food production has come back online yet. There were no factory tours on the children’s itinerary.

Suarez: There’s some small batch and artisan stuff available. But a lot of what’s available is either replicator produced or made off planet. You can buy replicator codes for a lot of old Vulcan junk food. The ambassador says it’s passable.

Jimmie: Okay, I will make time in my schedule to pick those up. If nothing else, it can be a bonding activity with Ashley and JoJo. Ashley loves stuff like that. She’s definitely science track.

Suarez: You’re very over-programmed. I’m worried about you eating and sleeping over the next week.

Jimmie: You have no idea how bad it is. However, I did schedule a meeting with Chen to discuss some suggestions like raising the minimum age requirement for the semester on ship internship.

Jimmie: You’re right. I’m going to have to be the catalyst to actually change things. For example, someone trying to have sex with a 15-year-old should not be an HR matter.

Suarez: I completely agree. How is that going, or are you not able to tell me?

Jimmie: I can’t say much. The cadet wants things to be handled as quietly as possible. However, he was stalking the cadet, so it’s definitely no longer an HR matter. He’s getting picked up while we’re on the planet, so he’s not my problem anymore. Thank the universe.

Suarez: Good.

Jimmie: Last night, Peter did ask me about the pig incident.

Suarez: Did you tell him how you did it?

Jamie: No. Spock wouldn’t let me. He’s afraid that they might get ideas if I tell them some of the more illegal things I did. I did some stupid things. There was a reason why I was a genius-level repeat offender.

Suarez: You don’t process grief well. I don’t think they will need you to get into trouble.

Jimmie: Oh, I’m sure they can do it all on their own.

Jimmie: What table are you going to be at today? As of now, I’m towards the front with the kids and my father-in-law. Spock is at the table with Chen.

Suarez: I won’t know until I get there. The invite did not contain that information. Although I trust you to put me somewhere not horrible.

Jimmie: I forgot to look after fixing the protocol fuck up. We barely avoided a galactic incident. They didn’t listen to Ms. Sulu when she told him not to put two people together. Sure, the rule says they should be by each other, but they are from planets that have been fighting for like a century. That’s usually when we break the rules.

Suarez: Do I want more details?

Jimmie: I might be in the market for new protocol people. Unfortunately, this means I will be using part of my vacation to look at resumes. They are lucky I caught the problem, not Spock bear.

Suarez: I think this whole thing is the definition of working vacation.

Jimmie: It is. I have three meetings today, and Spock has four. Although I might get to join the kids for lunch at the VSA.

Suarez: Good luck, and fingers crossed I’ll see you tonight. We should at least have a drink together.

Jimmie: I’ll probably be Spock’s arm candy, but I will make time for you.

Suarez: Thank you.

Jimmie: Also, speaking of drinks, can you be Winona’s sober friend tonight?

Jimmie: I’m probably going to be doing mocktails for the sake of appearances, but I probably won’t have time to run interference on the bar. I don’t want Kevin to have to do it.

Suarez: I’m on it.

Jimmie: Thank you

Suarez: Besides, it’s a bar on a Vulcan planet. Most of the drinks will either have cannabis or chocolate in them. Although I don’t know if it’s a good idea to let Winona have any drugs outside of strict medical use.

Jimmie: Honestly, probably not. Although this is not a problem at this event. This is a Starfleet event, so there won’t be anything cannabis, but I wouldn’t mind feeding the kids chocolate. They’re enjoying lemon bars, but they missed chocolate.

Suarez: So, do I. My niece occasionally sends me care packages.

Jimmie: Good for her. I’m losing my hookup with Kevin and Liz going off into space for the next semester. But maybe Winona will send goodies now.

Suarez: No matter what, Winona always sent you stuff while in boarding school, so probably.
XXXX

1:23 PM New Vulcan time
James: So, your email actually did not get to me until I was already on planet.

Ambassador Spock: I do not find this surprising. This is why I suggested that you reply via text message.

James: Very smart. The emails got here about 8 PM local time yesterday, but I was busy at a very Enterprise kids sleepover. I also discovered that Vulcan has teen melodramas.

Ambassador Spock: There is also a version of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet where the director calls out the illogical behavior of the teenagers and frames it in the correct light as a tragedy.

James: Okay, I will try to pick up a copy before leaving. You know I love Shakespeare. It’s in Vulcan, not standard, right? We want Peter to work on his Vulcan language skills. So we’re going to do Vulcan night. Nyota picked up some stuff, but I had no idea there were Vulcan Shakespeare adaptations.

Ambassador Spock: It is. I’ll provide a list of other recommendations.

James: Okay, I am definitely looking forward to old English being translated into contemporary Vulcan. Possibly with a strong cup of whatever tea you have me pick up. And some of those lemon bars. Those were good.

Ambassador Spock: I will send you back with several possibilities. Some of which you can share with the children.

James: Oh, good. Although, Nyota and I have a mutual babysitting agreement if we ever need to partake. We don’t drink or take drugs in front of the kids because Josephine’s mom died because of her alcoholism. Peter’s grandfather murdered his daughter during an alcohol-filled rage. That’s not even touching Winona.

Ambassador Spock: That is unfortunate.

Ambassador Spock: What does your schedule look like this afternoon? Maybe we could meet for a few minutes before the dedication ceremony.

James: Chaos. I’m only texting you right now because we are in transit. I have another walk-through with the Admiral. The shuttle just touched down like 30 minutes ago. So, I’m definitely going to have no time before and probably no time during. I’m not even sure if I’m actually going to get to see the kids at the thing if we are not at the same table. I am supposed to sit at the same table with them, but I might have to sit with the hubby because I have to be the best arm candy.

Ambassador Spock: That seems typical for Enterprise diplomatic events. Although in the past, I was “arm candy.”

James: Oh definitely, especially one organized by Sulu’s sister. She managed to throw me an actual wedding in a couple of hours, so I’m not surprised at all.

Ambassador Spock: Neither am I.

James: Thank you for confirming my suspicions about other me and, unfortunately, Nana Kirk. I’m definitely going to make sure that she gets nowhere near Peter. Also, just to let you know, I will tell Winona, so she feels better. At least she kept one toxic person out of my life.

Ambassador Spock: Nana Kirk would not attempt anything as ridiculous as trying to challenge you for custody? Isn’t she in her mid-80s?

James: I think she would if she actually knew of Peter’s existence. Thankfully, most of the legal paperwork is sealed. Even the citizenship papers on New Vulcan.

Ambassador Spock: I feel that is most prudent.

James: So very prudent. Especially because the tell-all book is available here. However, my father-in-law managed to get them to put it in the fiction section. Other than the recycling bin, it is the most appropriate place.

Ambassador Spock: I agree.

James: Okay, we just arrived. I got another meeting in five minutes. I will talk to you later.

Ambassador Spock: Of course, James. I’ll see you then.

To be continued…

Notes:

Much like his ship, the designate for the communicator is still Ambassador Spock instead of his alias. Because that’s just how Spock Prime rolls.

Chapter 138: Day 306: I don’t care if it’s inappropriate to send text messages at a Starfleet dedication ceremony

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left kudos for the last section. You’re all fabulous. Now that we’ve swapped who is on New Vulcan, we will be hearing from different people in the emails. Also, as you saw in the last chapter, more text messaging. My characters have to take advantage of being on the same planet.

As mentioned previously, I am keeping the time messages arrival as midnight Enterprise time. That translates to 8 PM New Vulcan time. Even though this is day 306 on the ship, it’s still 305 for the people on New Vulcan in this chapter. It was a great way for me to divide this long day into two parts. However, a tiny part happens on December 24 on New Vulcan. I’m updating today instead of Sunday so that this chapter can be uploaded on December 24 at least in a few time zones.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Legal Queen San Francisco
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Your Christmas presents are on their way.
Time arrived: 12/24/2260 00:00:01
Now I’m so happy I got Peter a lot of Batwoman toys. I even got him a Lego Batwoman keychain. Not that people actually use keys anymore, but I’m sure Peter will love it all. She was my favorite growing up, my role model. Kids need to see themselves in media and even the toys they play with. This may have also been why I sent both of you the Enterprise Lego playset. Did you know that your father has a Lego action figure?

I wish I had a friend like you growing up. I never felt comfortable being myself, especially with the judge being a homophobic asshole. I tried to hide who I was because it was safer that way. Your biological mom was the only one who was remotely OK with me. However, it wasn’t enough. This is one of the reasons why I did way too many drugs. I hope Chris one doesn’t go down the road I did. It’s hard, but it’s easier when you have friends. I’m glad they have you.

I am sad that Kevin and Liz have left for their semester in space. They are the best people. They’ve been great friends to me these last couple of months. But I think I’ll stay in touch. I’m getting used to deep space letters. I can write a few more. Although I’ve been informed by Liz that she can do video calls from Yorktown. (Speaking of video calls, is that something you can do from New Vulcan. I would love to talk to you in real-time.)

Just like I needed to leave Georgia, I think Liz needs to get out of San Francisco for a while. I think a lot of her classmates are just draining her emotionally. And it got worse after her sister’s kidnapping. I think it might be good for Liz to get some space after what happened to her sister. I’m glad the Admiral waited a few days to tell Liz that Sue was missing. Otherwise, Liz would have completely fallen apart. I think she was ready to leave Starfleet at that point, so time in Yorktown might be good for her. Also, Liz and Kevin will graduate closer to the same time. This is better for tandem assignments.

I said goodbye a few days ago, and I loaded them up with lots of goodies. You have lots of presents and a humongous care package coming your way. Your dad will be mad at me, but I also included a bottle of his favorite whiskey. There are Christmas/Winter Solstice presents for the whole family. I didn’t forget about your mom either. However, I won’t tell you what I got because I don’t want to ruin the surprise. But it’s something warm snuggly, and comfy. I do adore your mom; she’s a good woman. I’m glad you got a second chance in that regard.

I’m happy to know that you’ve been learning Vulcan in preparation for your time on the planet. I assume you’re there by now. I want pictures, and I want to know about all the cool things you’ve been doing. I always wanted to travel to different planets but never had the chance.

It’s going to change the summer, though. I’ve talked to Shawn, and I am going to Yorktown. I won’t even have to use vacation time because Jim and Spock are our clients. There are a couple of issues that will require actual physical signatures and in-person consultation. I know it’s ridiculous, but I think Nana Kirk is doing it so Jim and Spock will drop the lawsuit. Liz and Winona are functioning as my couriers for the first round of documents. Someone from the Enterprise legal team will serve as my proxy. I’ll do the next round, which I expect will happen because Nana Kirk is just that type of person.

Silver lining is I won’t have to use vacation time, and the trip will be on the Company credit chip. I wish we could do that this time but they’re taking Starfleet, not commercial transport. So it’s just not feasible. Liz’s mom couldn’t pull enough strings to get me on board.

Presently, I would describe my relationship with Chloe as eventually approaching the Vulcan definition of friendship. However, we’ll just see where things go right now. She just survived a nasty divorce, and I just survived an equally nasty divorce with my father of a different type. Per my therapist, I need to focus on figuring out who I am now that I’m free. So no romantic relationships for at least six months. We’ll just have to see where things go after that. Maybe I’ll have a date for the wedding. Ben invited me. I adore him as well.

You should know that the judge is up to his usual bullshit and manipulation. Thankfully my current firm has no fucks to give. Also, the judge has nowhere near as much power in San Francisco. My boss really doesn’t care what he does. Shawn doesn’t believe a word out of his mouth. So at least I’m going to stay gainfully employed. That’s all I really hope for at this point.

Yes, my artist friend is different than Chloe. See, I have more than one friend. This is good with Kevin and Liz leaving for their Starfleet version of a semester abroad. (Feels a tinge of bitterness at the judge for never allowing me to study off-planet.) Alex is a paralegal at the firm and a painter in their spare time. They find it relaxing, but they are also really good. Their portfolio is amazing. I’ve sent you some pictures of it. They also sent you some how-to guides and other things. You are going to have so much fun. Also, I feel like if you have art that will keep you out of trouble. Please don’t do any of the stupid stuff I did when I was a teenager. So many mistakes were made.

Anyway, write back when you have time. I’m sure you’re ridiculously busy on New Vulcan. Also, send pictures of the babies opening their toys. I sent some stuff for them too. I’ll see you soon.

PS: It’s OK if you don’t come to Earth for a while. I want to go to you. I think it’s time I actually saw the universe. I always wanted to but never had the chance before.
Xxxxx
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: SuluHG2260
Time arrived: 12/24/2260 00:00:01
Subject: School work in space is the worst

It is always good to hear from you. Today it breaks up the monotony of finals and filling out after-action reports for my fellow Kobayashi Maru classmates. Kevin gets to at least function as my mom’s aide for the inspections of the ship we’re not allowed to talk about. I don’t actually get to do the fun stuff until I’m done with school work. It’s so unfair that Kevin finished all of his finals.

One of his professors made Kevin working with my mom his final. another staff member is submitting an evaluation of his work. Mom’s not doing it herself because it could be a conflict of interest. Everybody knows he’s dating the head of Starfleet’s daughter. It’s moments like these I deeply regret dropping Simmons from my last name. But since Sue started using Chen again, I decided to use Chen again.

Actually, everyone still thinks we are planning a shotgun wedding because he got me pregnant. We go to school with idiots.

I am so tired of watching my classmates screw up the Kobayashi Maru in the most spectacular way possible. Half of them aren’t even trying, but I’m not allowed to write that per mom. Kristin did the best by only having two team members die. By the test parameters, that’s still considered an unsuccessful mission. Those of us who have lived in the real world know two fatalities is sometimes the best you can hope for.

Because you sent a rapid message to Ben for being an idiot, I know that you know I beat the Kobayashi Maru. The good news is I’m not getting sent to judiciaries. After the tapes were reviewed by multiple Starfleet and Federation officials, it was determined that I beat the test without modification or assistance from others.

They actually checked to make sure neither Kevin nor I asked Spock for help with the test. He is my boyfriend’s brother-in-law, after all. Thankfully, most professors are under the impression that Spock would never help me because Vulcans would never do that. They obviously don’t remember that he is half-human. Of course, we didn’t ask. So at least I’m done with that part of academic bullshit. I’m almost done with only a few more days of videos and one more essay to finish. Then I get to be mom’s aide.

Your fiancé is still appropriately chastened after your messages to him. He promises that he will tell you things. This is good. Open communication is the only way whatever this is between the three of you will work. I’m supportive. Actually, I think mom is even supportive. She loves your future husband. He is her favorite.

Tell Sue I’m thankful for her willingness to run interference with mom to keep her from finding out we are engaged. Although it’s not necessary. I am pretty sure she knows we are engaged. Ms. Sulu can see an engaged couple from a mile away and handed us her long-term engagement planning binder in front of mom. She hasn’t said anything yet. At least to me, I don’t know what she’s possibly said to Kevin while they’ve been working together. OK, maybe that’s why mom arranged for them to work together.

Don’t worry, we will not do a double wedding in Yorktown. Actually, we are leaning toward waiting until after graduation unless we still have to be married before graduation to qualify for tandem assignments for our first mission. Then we may do a courthouse wedding and then throw a bigger wedding afterward. Your sister actually suggested that as an option.

Although I heard this was Jim and Spock’s original wedding plan. Instead, they ended up with multiple weddings on multiple planets. But Ramirez will forever be loyal to Jim and Spock for saving him from that financial crisis. Spock says he sends them candy all the time.

I’m sure your sister will have our whole wedding together before getting to New Vulcan. I saw firsthand what she did for Jim and Spock’s wedding in just a few hours. Because your sister hates being on a starship planning a wedding is her favorite distraction. This is why she stopped planning destination weddings. Although she would make an exception for Kevin and me because we are family. She also wants to put her niece in as many weddings as possible. To do that, it can’t be on earth. Actually, we might be doing a Yorktown wedding too, just maybe a year later. Or maybe Risa. But a classy wedding, not a quickie at the Chapel of Love.

Thank you for writing a letter I could read to the babies without editing the heavy parts. The last letter to the baby was definitely hard. The baby is happy. She can’t wait to visit mommy and daddy. But she’s having fun with Baba and her big sister K bear.

Mom has decided that you are Oto-san, but Ben is Baba. I think it’s going to stick. See, this is so much better than calling Ben other daddy. Standard is sometimes too simple of a language. It’s why we had to go back to prewarp language sometimes.

I’m kind of sad that my time with Kevin, me, and baby D is coming to a close. It was nice for us to be a little family for a while and gave me a good idea of what parenthood will be like. This is why I made sure my long-term contraceptive worked perfectly before we started on this journey. Kevin is on the shot anyway because we believe in being prepared.

In about 10 years, we will begin giving mom and Winona more grandbabies. Or we can adopt. I was with Sue during labor. I am OK with raising kids. I’m still on the fence about pushing one through my private parts. Also, as an adoptee, I know how important it is to give someone a loving home.

Besides, I’m might just end up being the accompanying spouse of my diplomatic husband. I wonder if that’s what Amanda did. Now I’m really sad that I will never meet my future brother-in-law’s mom. I feel like she would have some stories. I guess I will have to try to get some from the ambassador. We’re staying at his compound. So there will be plenty of chances.

Anyway, there’s a 50-50 shot of you getting this before I actually arrived on the planet. Good thing we recently had a recent rapid message.
XXXX

December 23, 2260, 8:33 PM New Vulcan time. (Or December 24, 2260, 12:33 AM Enterprise time)

 

Almost brother-in-law: So did you know that Enterprise emails arrive at 8 PM local time. I just got yours that you wrote right after the rapid messaging. So technically, you did get here before the email.

Liz: But only by a few hours.

Almost brother-in-law: Even though I haven’t seen you yet. I’m sitting next to a very sad Josephine. She said she hadn’t even seen you yet. Although she did see Kevin hanging out with the Elder. She didn’t get to talk, though.

Liz: I didn’t get to mingle because I was with mom when she was not sitting at the head table. Kevin got to hang out with the Elder. They bonded that time he had to visit Kevin’s dorm room to kick him upside the head because he didn’t want to go to Jim and Spock’s wedding. He’s back with me now that we’re sitting through the speeches. This should have been over three minutes ago per the schedule.

Almost brother-in-law: As evident by my big sister currently glaring and making a cutting motion.

Liz: It’s been chaos today. We’ve been so busy since the shuttle landed. We had to turn over D to your fiancé so Kevin and I could do the walk-through this afternoon with mom and Jim. Although I think I was still sitting at your table during the walk-through.

Liz: I think your big sister is mad at me. We haven’t done enough wedding planning, apparently. This is obviously a punishment.

Almost brother-in-law: Honestly, Sue and I are both happy that we don’t have to keep the engagement a secret from your mom. Also, I’m not surprised at all that my sister did that. She also hit me with the wedding plans during lunch.

Liz: Wait, she had time to have lunch? When did you have time to have lunch with your sister? It couldn’t have been today because we were doing walk-throughs. I only got to see my own sister because she snuck down early. Jim has video of all the crying.

Almost brother-in-law: Yesterday. She wanted to go over some things before the Admiral and the babies arrived. Remember, she got beamed over here early, although that wasn’t an option with your mom.

Liz: Transporter malfunction shortly afterward. Involving an engineer, a lace bra, and organic lube.

Almost brother-in-law: I’m not even going to ask how. I don’t want to know.

Liz: You don’t. I’ve assumed that you’ve been in the baby bubble since the fiancé arrived.

Almost brother-in-law: Yes. Why can’t we be at the same table? Sue misses you. We would still be sitting by each other instead of text messaging during these boring speeches as we wait for them to finally bring out dinner. At least I could see your facial expressions.

Almost brother-in-law: Kevin just sent me a picture of you smirking. I also see you surrounded by the three Ashleyes and Jay.

Liz: Mom is making us sit with the Enterprise kids to ensure they didn’t do stupid stuff. Like, make really good use of the free bar. Although I did get to see Pav’s future stepdaughter try to flirt painfully with her crush. It was adorable.

Almost brother-in-law: Oh, does this mean you know who she has a crush on. Pav is worried that the guy might be the same age as him or older. It’s all he talked about during dinner last night. Since Ashley was at a sleepover, we decided to go to one of the tea shops. It was very relaxing.

Liz: I’m sure you had fun at the tea shops. You should check at the bookstore next door. I recommend getting him and Olivia a copy of Congratulations Your Child is Not Heterosexual. Since Ashley 3 had a crush on her future stepdad, you should probably get the bi edition.

Almost brother-in-law: I’m not surprised. I caught her checking out Ashley 2 a couple of times during fencing class until she started dating Jay. I just need an age to make Pav feel better. I think he is in this weird place between seeing Ashley as a little sister and his girlfriend’s daughter.

Almost brother-in-law: The age difference between Ashley and Olivia is already pretty small since Olivia was a midlife crisis child and significantly younger than her deceased sibling. Ashley is actually the same age Pav’s sister would be if she didn’t die.

Liz: That’s right. The crush is 17 but is currently working on her first Ph.D. in biochemistry. She’s doing the dual enrollment at UF Berkeley.

Almost brother-in-law: So a slightly more age-appropriate version of Pav. Although Pav did dual enrollment at UF Moscow.

Almost brother-in-law: Oh, thank God the speeches are over, and they’re bringing out the food. I thought big sis was about to jump on stage to get it to end.

Liz: Of course he did a Russian university. He should just be happy she passes the half your age +7 test. And she is nice.

Liz: She asked me all sorts of questions about the Kobayashi Maru. She’s taking it next year. I couldn’t answer most of her questions, and she was respectful of that.

Liz: Oh good, now we can switch to polite dinner conversation. I’m starved. I didn’t even get to eat any of the appetizers because it was not polite to do so while escorting mom. I hate protocol.

Almost brother-in-law: You’re already a living legend because of the Kobayashi Maru. I don’t know how everyone on ship knows that you already beat the Kobayashi Maru, but they do. And not all of them are blaming it on your mom.

Liz: I should’ve kept the last name Simmons. Nothing works faster than gossip in Starfleet. Besides, it’s been about a month. So even non-rapid messages about it have managed to reach people by this point. Technically we all signed NDAs, but I broke that emailing Sue and Jim. Mom found a loophole to email the video to Spock. Apparently, that was to prove that he did not help me in any way.

Almost brother-in-law: Your mom is smart.

Almost brother-in-law: Why did you drop the Simmons part of your last name?

Liz: Part of it was because Sue was using Chen again. I think I mentioned that in my letter. Also, if I had an Asian last name, fewer people would question my custody of baby D. You know I have some Chinese ancestry, but it’s several generations back. Finally, someone’s working on a big Tarsus documentary, and my birth name might’ve been released in an FFOIA request. So it was time to go by a different name.

Almost brother-in-law: All good reasons.

Liz: Were you the one who successfully talked mom out of bringing the babies? I know she wanted to show off the kids to all her diplomatic friends. Fortunately, I haven’t seen a toddler running around. I expect D would be throwing food by now. It looks like we have roasted carrots, and she really loves throwing roasted carrots.

Almost brother-in-law: Yes. D and K are with Gina because she is done with teenagers, so she volunteered to watch the babies instead. She’s escorting the kids back to the ship tomorrow but coming back down for a few days to spend with her goddaughter and BFF.

Almost brother-in-law: Basically, she needs serious quality baby time after the last two weeks with the kids on the planet.

Liz: This is not a surprise at all. Although the babies shouldn’t be here. They start throwing food when they get bored. There would be carrots everywhere by this point.

Liz: Although now I understand why I am at the Enterprise kids table other than your big sister hating me.

Almost brother-in-law: This is entirely possible.

Liz: OK, I have to put my phone away because your big sister is unhappy. Apparently, it’s rude for me to text during dinner.
Xxxxxx

HS: Liz is a miracle worker. Ashley has a crush on a 17-year-old working on her first Ph.D. in biochemistry, dual-enrolled at UF Berkeley. Do you have an idea of which Intern that is?

PC: Cadet Jacqueline Ortega. Super sweet and one of the few people that hasn’t been horrible. Olivia likes her.

HS: That’s good.

PC: She is staying till May. She’s working on her Ph.D. and believes her time on Enterprise will help her dissertation.

HS: Is this good or bad?

PC: In 14 years, when your daughter starts dating, tell me if you find it good or bad.

HS: Oh, they grow up so fast. My little baby is diving headfirst into stepparenthood.

PC: I want to be with Olivia. You know how miserable I was during the breakup.

HS: You cried in my bed a lot. Sue was worried about you.

PC: And then, because you were busy with Sue, we ended up hooking back up on anniversary night.

HS: I’m aware.

PC: And we kept on hooking up. Then I realize that I need us to be more than that, which means being a part of her family. So I volunteered to chaperone my girlfriend’s niece’s field trip. I want to strangle at least one of her classmates, but we are a lot closer than before the experience.

HS: I’m glad you have that. But you’re still worried about Ashley’s crush?

PC: I just don’t want her to get hurt.

HS: You will just have to trust her to make the right choice. If it falls apart, be there for her. I haven’t raised a teenage daughter yet. Thankfully unlike my friends, I get to start with an actual baby. But I do remember having a little sister.

HS: Besides, I don’t think Ashley will appreciate you acting like an overprotective Poppa bear. She might smack you upside the head.

PC: This is true.
Xxx
December 24, 2260, 7:13 AM new Vulcan time

T’hy’la: I am deeply upset that I am running teenagers to the VSA at 7 AM without you. Especially after not getting back until 1 AM. Then I have to do work stuff.

Spock: I was unfortunately scheduled for a 7:30 AM breakfast meeting. I would much rather be with you right now. I have to meet with several diplomats before they return to their home planets.

T’hy’la: I actually have a lunch meeting like that. We’re still doing separate meetings today?

Spock: Yes, so we can cover more diplomatic representatives. But I believe we will be engaging in joint meetings when we return to duty on the 27th.

T’hy’la: Tomorrow will actually be a day of rest?

Spock: Yes, I promise.

To be continued…

Notes:

Josephine’s response to her aunt will be in the next chapter. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough chapters banked to upload that tomorrow. Sorry. I am writing new chapters today. Send me your encouragement, so I will write faster.

Acronym Key: FFOIA: Federation freedom of information act

Chapter 139: Day 307: The complicated nature of December 25 in the 23th century

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are so fabulous. I was going to put this letter at the end of the previous chapter. Then I realized that Josephine would be ridiculously busy on the 24th, saying goodbye to her friends and getting to hang out with Liz and Kevin for the first time in forever. So, of course, she would forget to email her Aunt Lena. (I literally had to check what I used in the first story because we have to use first names in this chapter.) I also thought that maybe Josephine would want to wait until she opened her Christmas presents to send a proper thank you email. Perhaps she would like to wish her aunt a Merry Christmas.

In addition, you’re going to see details about the last two days when letters from the team on New Vulcan finally arrived on Enterprise.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

December 25, 2263, 8:21 AM
Gina: So, I kind of need a ride from the VSA. Do you know for a place that doesn’t allegedly celebrate Christmas, nothing is open today. Normally, I could just take a shuttle to the ambassador’s compound, but they’re not running.

Sue: Spock told me that would be a problem. We’re on our way to come to get you.

Gina: I’m glad my big boss realized this would be a problem.

Sue: I think that might have something to do with most of the population being repatriated expatriates. They’ve all adapted to other Federation customs. They want December 25 off regardless of the fact that they don’t actually celebrate anything. Nobody says no to a day off from work.

Gina: That is understandable. I am so happy I won’t see my students for four days. Don’t get me wrong, I adore teaching and working with them, but this field trip was exhausting. Chris three’s mom has decided to take an earthbound assignment and is leaving in February when we do our shore leave repairs. Thank God.

Sue: I’ve heard nothing but horrible things about him. Ashley 3 really hates him. Three of your students are here, most likely fawning over my babies right now. If they can get them away from Zoe and the Nanas.

Gina: But the best three. Don’t tell the other kids that.

Sue: Your secret is safe with me. The babies can’t wait to spend more time with their favorite aunt. If you can get them away from the kids, Aunt Zoe, the Nanas, and the grandfathers.

Gina: Grandfathers?

Sue: Spock’s dad and grandfather have claimed the babies. Besides, they can use a few more grandfathers. Ben and I lost our fathers a long time ago. We would like to pretend Mr. Johnson doesn’t exist.

Gina: I’m not surprised everybody has claimed them. Your babies are the best. I had fun with them on the 23rd anyway. At least none of them threw up on an ambassador. I thought the dedication ceremony was low alcohol?

Sue: I will have you know that Reyes Junior had an allergic reaction that triggered the throwing up. Honestly, I’m grateful for it because it gave me an excuse to get out of there since I helped Olivia escort her back to the dorms.

Gina: How bad was it? We didn’t get to talk yesterday because I had to spend the day wrangling my students. Which is how I know about the ambassador thing. Although I did get to spend the night with my girlfriend.

Sue: Very bad. Hikaru had to keep me from punching out at least two diplomats and a Federation representative. Also, if I didn’t sneak down there early, I wouldn’t have even got to see my sister. There was a lot of crying. I’m sure Jim has video.

Gina: They mentioned the kidnapping?

Sue: Yep. Apparently, it was my fault I was kidnapped.

Gina: Idiots. Were they stupid enough to say that in front of your mom?

Sue: No, but they did say it in front of Spock’s father. Jim has 50 credits on them not being ambassadors anymore by his birthday.

Gina: His actual birthday or the day he celebrates it on?

Sue: Actual birthday. Although he now celebrates it on Spock’s birthday on January 6 instead of March (a.k.a. Winona scheduled Labor Day) like he used to. This year they’re doing an early joint birthday party on the first. Before everybody goes back to Enterprise.

Gina: Smart. So when do you think you’ll get here? The guards are starting to look at me weirdly.

Sue: Maybe five more minutes. We just picked up Jim’s bakery order, so we’re heading over to the VSA now. We were supposed to get there before you, but we had to go to a different bakery in the shopping district. The one by the VSA is closed. Apparently, the shopping district doesn’t care what day it is.

Gina: They don’t care on Earth either, so that seems to fit. I’m surprised you’re with Jim instead of the boyfriend.

Sue: Because he had to spend some time alone with his fiancé. You know I have my own room.

Gina: Even though I’ve read The Idiots Guide to Multi-species Polyamorous Relationships twice, I’m trying not to say the wrong thing.

Sue: I appreciate that you found time to read the book twice.

Gina: I am teaching four different grade levels simultaneously. There’s a lot of independent study time because of that. Thankfully the group you think would need the most attention actually needs it the least. So I have a lot of time to read in class. As long as I don’t have to referee a fight between the Chrises.

Sue: I feel like you break up a lot of fights.

Gina: Way too many. I’m just trying to understand. I might not always get it perfect, but I promise I’ll keep trying.

Sue: Which you know I appreciate. Although you’re probably still going to need Ben to tell you that it’s perfectly OK.

Gina: No, I got that when you came to pick up the kids. It was like you three were the perfect little family.

Sue: I’m sure the fact that I kissed Hikaru in front of him and you and he didn’t even blink helped.

Gina: It was more like he was enjoying the show.

Sue: Very much. I know this wasn’t what you were expecting because this wasn’t what I was expecting, but I like this family. Besides, you know how great Ben is. This entire situation is a vast improvement on my last relationship. I’m glad that’s over, and I never have to see him again.

Gina: The universe was really smiling at you by not tying you two together with a child.

Sue: I think he would’ve abandoned me anyway if the baby was his. He already dumped me as soon as I found out I was pregnant. But at least this way, I didn’t have to get Shawn involved to get child support.

Gina: That’s true. Also, instead of raising D alone, you have two co-parents.

Sue: And I get a bonus daughter. Maybe even more. Ben and Hikaru are already talking about more kids.

Gina: Is your never getting pregnant again stance starting to soften?

Sue: Possibly. I don’t think I would completely freak out about a birth control failure now. I spent an hour crying after discovering that I was pregnant the first time. Although maybe it helps now that I have the best baby in the world.

Gina: I remember all of those rapid messages.

Gina: And the video call. You really couldn’t stop crying.

Sue: The boyfriend dumping me may have contributed to all the crying. In the end, it was for the best. I think now I would just shrug and go, “OK, the babies are getting a new sibling.”

Gina: However, you still ensured that your birth control is working correctly?

Sue: I picked up all the supplies myself after lunch with Hikaru’s sister on the 22nd. I feel like Ben and Hikaru are less likely to get fertility lube accidentally due to sheer laziness, but I’m better at reading Vulcan. Unfortunately, all the ingredient lists are in Vulcan.

Gina: I’m glad the fact that you used to translate my love letters has become useful.

Sue: I’ve always liked your girlfriend. And now your new job means you get to see her more often. Maybe one of you will actually put a ring on it soon.

Gina: She is considering taking a detail on Enterprise. These last few weeks have been a trial run. It will be part of a cultural exchange for 24 months.

Sue: Is she going to do it? And then maybe after that, you can go to New Vulcan for a couple of years.

Gina: She doesn’t want to make a final decision until after her detail is done, but I think she’s 90% in favor. But I’m also considering if I can survive New Vulcan. I did OK with the field trips, but the next few days at the ambassador’s house will be the real test. I wish my girlfriend was with me, but I can figure out if my body can take being here full time.

Sue: The ambassador has air conditioning. Ashley says that it really works, unlike your housing at the VSA.

Gina: Thank God.

Sue: We’re outside. Jim has a croissant and tea for you.

Gina Good tea?

Sue: Well, good tea that’s not an intoxicant. That’s for after we put the kids to bed tonight.

Gina: I like the way you think

XXXX
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: Merry Christmas, thank you for all the presents
Time sent: 12/25/2260 17:21:08
Merry Christmas, auntie:
I know you celebrate. They really don’t here on New Vulcan. Most Vulcans don’t celebrate Christmas. Also, Spock’s mother was Jewish, so he is more familiar with those cultural traditions. We already lit the menorah earlier during our stay. Grandpa likes to keep a lot of Amanda’s traditions alive. Which is why we did gingerbread houses today.

The team from Earth brought all sorts of goodies to celebrate. I built a gingerbread fortress with Ashley 3, Peter, and Cousin Saavik. We used licorice to line the border. There are also gummy bear sentinels. I think it’s cute. I sent you lots of pictures of the various houses. You can pick your favorite. Vote for me.

I think ours is cuter than Zoe’s. Zoe’s team built a gingerbread castle. Her team had the babies, Ben, and her mom.

Do you know Zoe? She’s taking a job at the VSA. She’s also Ben’s sister, sort of. You know we don’t really care about DNA in this new family. We’re all about families of choice. I think my new grandfather is an upgrade.

Anyway, I’ve been on New Vulcan, probably since you wrote this letter. It’s been about two weeks already. Mom was with me for the first week and ½, but she’s now on Enterprise serving as acting captain. Uncles Jim and Spock are here on a “diplomatic mission.” There was definitely a lot of diplomatic ass-kissing at the dedication ceremony a couple of nights ago. Uncle Jim referred to himself as the best arm candy.

It will take me way too long to recap everything I have done on the planet so far. However, I got to go to an animal sanctuary, tour a Vulcan farm, and get kicked out of the Vulcan Cultural Center. Technically Peter got us all kicked out of the Vulcan Cultural Center, but the curator was a prejudicial idiot. Don’t worry, it’s been resolved by mom and Peter becoming Vulcan citizens. Well, Peter is. Mom will have to wait approximately six months for things to be finalized.

Don’t worry, you have pictures of everything courtesy of Peter. He loves taking photos of absolutely everything he sees. So I think there’s probably a good 400 to 500 pictures coming your way. You can refer to it as how my niece spent her summer vacation on New Vulcan. It’s summer here, which makes building gingerbread houses and drinking hot chocolate seem weird, but I’m rolling with it.

Uncle Spock is funny when he’s a little chocolate drunk. Not like mom was with alcohol. It’s not a trigger like actual alcohol for me, which is good. Actually, Ashley three told me that the others stopped trying to break into engineering for alcohol because they knew the drinking bothered me. They’re such good friends.

I’m really sad that yesterday I had to say goodbye to all my friends except Ashley 3, who is staying with us. Her guardian is a doctor, and she is staying on the planet to keep the interns from doing more stupid stuff and keep us all healthy. I’m sure my dad would’ve liked to of been down here, but I think after the chaos that happened last time he visited New Vulcan, he’s OK not leaving the ship even if that means I’m here without them. Apparently, Uncle Spock got kidnapped by an ex or an ex of an ex. It’s confusing. Regardless, Uncle Jim and Spock make excellent babysitters.

Anyway, Ashley 2 and Jay cried. Actually, we were all a teary-eyed mess. This is the first time I’m going to be away from them for any amount of time in 10 months. It feels weird to be away from them. But I’m going to send lots of pictures and everything else, especially of the babies. Unlike the last group of friends, I think they’re actually going to write me back. Their guardians don’t think they should ditch me just because my alcoholic biological mom wrapped her car around a tree.

Liz and Kevin got here late on the 23rd. I didn’t even get to see them until yesterday because the dedication ceremony was so chaotic. We were at different tables. Because Gina was done with all of us, Liz and Kevin had to sit with my classmates. I had to sit with grandpa upfront. They were with Liz’s mom doing Starfleet stuff the rest of the time. Sue was also annoyed that she barely got to see her sister.

However, yesterday we just got to hang out and go back to the shopping district. We were on babysitting duty so the grown-ups could have alone time. I think I now know why Gina has been reading The Idiots Guide to Multi-species Polyamorous Relationships in class. Which is fine, they can do them. I just don’t want to know why mom owned that book before.

I was happy to find out that the Learning Store is really a toy store for Vulcans. The only rule is everything must be educational. So I may pick up a few things. Grandpa does not give presents. He just provides gift cards and tells you to buy stuff. So I bought more clothes, including a few Vulcan robes, because I like them. I think dad will be concerned about the fact I’m bringing up a whole suitcase with new clothes. He already made a joke about the ship only having so much closet space. I’m sure I can talk Scotty into giving me more space when he gets back. I’m his favorite.

You’ll be happy to know that I got all your presents. Thank you for the obscene amount of Oreos, especially the chocolate-covered ones. A certain cousin may have tried one (or 5) for the first time and said she saw her hand move. She’s sleeping it off right now. So now we’re not allowed to pass chocolate to the Vulcans that are not Spock. Whoops. We also thank you for all the other snacks as well.

I’m so happy with the art kit. As well as all the books. I can’t wait to try everything. We will have so much fun. Please thank your friend Alex for me. I assume that you were using gender-neutral pronouns on purpose. More power to you.

Also, I’m so happy you’re making new friends. I was really worried about Kevin and Liz being away, but I’m glad you’re meeting new people and have people who support you. Liz told me all about how Shawn has just been the best boss. Apparently, they had dinner with your boss and his husband a few times. They’re the best, per the couple. Liz told me not to worry because you would be spending Christmas there with them.

I wish you could’ve been here too, but I also heard you’re working on a really big case, and you need to concentrate on that. That’s in addition to dealing with Evil Nana Kirk. I hope you take the old lady out. While shopping yesterday, I came across the unauthorized biography in the fiction section. From everything I know, it is definitely 100% fiction. She’s such a hateful person. She reminds me of the judge. So that makes you really the best lawyer to deal with her.

Are you also handling the unauthorized likeness lawsuit? Winona brought us heroes of the Federation playsets. Jim said they were safe for us to play with. They’re also compatible with the Legos. You know I already have Starfleet Barbies. Even though I’m 12 now, I still want more. I’m never giving up toys.

Peter says thank you for the Lego set and the Lego batwoman. Not evil Nana Kirk bought him two superhero playsets, one Marvel and one DC. (Jim’s mom refuses to lose the title Nana Kirk to the evil one.) So we are going to have a lot of fun building those.

I love Lego daddy; he is so adorable. This makes up for the fact that they didn’t do a Barbie version of dad, although they did one of mom. I’m going to take him everywhere. Uncle Jim talked him into agreeing to the license, apparently. They were contacted directly instead of using a blanket Starfleet license, unlike Mattel. Jim said that was worked out quickly by Shawn’s firm.

Liz’s mom also bought us an Enterprise Lego set, so we decided to give that one to the cousin. Grandpa wants to help her build it. We kind of expect that it will be displayed on the mantle by the time we go back. Actually, there’s a good chance they’ll finish construction by the end of the night.

I really had fun today, and a lot of that was because of all the goodies you sent. So thank you. I hope you’re having a good day today. Liz promised me that you won’t be alone today, making me feel better. I remember Christmas was always when the judge was at his worse, so I’m glad you will be somewhere safe and far away from him. I think that might be why I really don’t want to celebrate, but I never turn down gifts or gingerbread.

I can’t wait to see you in person. You’re right; you should get to explore the universe. This is actually the first time I’ve been on another planet. If your sister didn’t wrap her car around the tree, she would have sent me to boarding school off-planet, but she died before it happened. So my time on New Vulcan was my first real taste of being off of Earth. I feel like a starship doesn’t really count as being off-planet.

I really liked it. I think grandpa will try to get us to come and stay more often. There was even talk of a six-month program at the VSA for future applicants. Although we have to be at least 14 to do the program. We’re thinking possibly 2263. We will just have to see.
Anyway, write back when you can. I miss you and hate we won’t see each other until summer. However, I am really looking forward to it.

PS: I’ll ask grandpa later if we can video call you. Cousin Saavik calls Peter all the time, so I think it might be feasible. They have a long-range communications room in the compound.

XXXX
December 25, 2260, 6:45 PM
Somewhere in suburban San Francisco
Months ago, when Lena found out that Kevin and Liz would be spending the holidays in New Vulcan, she assumed she would be alone. At the time, she thought they would be coming back, not going onto other assignments. Technically they will be back but not until June, and the baby won’t be coming with them.

This is Lena’s first holiday season since cutting her father out and her second one since her sister’s death. Last year she got to spend it with her brother-in-law and niece. (Leonard never became her former brother-in-law because, to be honest, she always liked him better than her sister.) This year she was planning to watch 20th century Christmas movies with replicated turkey for one. Things were going well with Chloe, but she wanted her to spend the holiday just with her daughter. It would be the first one post-divorce, and it made sense for it to just be the two of them.

Thankfully Shawn invited her to spend Christmas day with him and his husband Cory. They were the most adorable couple. They met in law school and have been inseparable ever since. She was happy to be there because Cory is an excellent cook.

“I am very thankful that you invited me because the dinner was lovely. Much better than anything I could have possibly replicated.” She said, taking a drink of her hot chocolate. Although alcohol was never her drug of choice, she felt it was best not to touch it at all after what happened with her sister.

“Nothing replicated tastes good. It’s why I made your hot chocolate from scratch. With actual chocolate.” Cory commented.

“Bless you.” It really was good hot chocolate.

“We’re happy to have you here. Besides, we both know what it’s like to have horrible family members.” Cory and Shawn shared a look. She knows that they aren’t really on speaking terms with most of their family.

“Although I don’t know if any of your fathers have tried to get you fired.” Lena joked.

“My mother did. Thankfully everybody else at the firm liked me more.” Shawn remarked.

“She was just a nasty person. Although she never did try to break down our front door.” Shawn gave his husband a look at that comment.

“That hasn’t happened yet,” Lena remarked, causing her boss and his husband to share a look. “OK, why are you looking at each other like that?”

“While Corey was making your hot cocoa, I got a call from the security team.” Shawn had arranged for a security team after the last time the judge violated his restraining order. The firm was paying for it because the guy was unhinged and interfering with clients. They discovered he was paying the bail of Ben’s former father-in-law just to get back at Kevin and Liz for supporting her.

“What happened?” Lena asked.

“It doesn’t matter. The judge violated the restraining order again. So he’s back in jail. The new wife can bail him out or not.” Shawn explained.

“Preferably not.” Cory took a long drink of his wine.

“That said, you should probably stay at a hotel for a couple of days.”

“We made reservations at the hotel next to the firm. It’s lovely. We stayed there when the house was being renovated.” Cory added.

“Of course you did. You didn’t have to do that.”

“Actually, we did because he broke down your door. And set fire to your computer. There is a little bit of smoke damage possible.” Thankfully no work stuff was actually on her computer. Like it’s been for the last 200 years, everything is stored on an external server. Thankfully this means that she didn’t lose all of the pictures of the kids hanging out and you walk in that Leonard’s girlfriend has been sending her.

“I’m gonna have to move again? I think having your father tried to burn the place down is grounds for expulsion. The condo board will not be happy.” She is so exhausted with him.

“I’ve never done property law, but it’s a possibility. Thankfully Rebecca does, and she can help you find something wonderful.”

“Preferably, something with really good security,” Lena remarked.

“This is a nice gated community. There are a few units available right now.” Cory suggested.

“I’ll think about it if you get me more hot chocolate.”

“I’ll make you a whole thermos worth after you get your last present. Come with us.” Cory said, getting up from the table.

“Another present? You gave me a weekend spa package. That was more than enough.” Lena said as she followed behind her boss and his husband.

“That’s my traditional holiday bonus. But this is just for you and the real reason why you’re here.” Shawn explained.

“Other than keeping me away from my father,” Lena commented.

“Keeping you far away from the judge is by itself a good reason, but you’re going to like this more,” Shawn said as he opened the door to a room she hasn’t seen yet. Because apparently, it was their communications room.

“You have a long-range communication room in your house?” The firm had one which is where she was planning to call Josephine if possible.

“When you’re the head of a law firm that is accredited on 30 different planets, it’s necessary. That’s not counting all of our Starfleet clients.” Shawn explained.

“Being in San Francisco, we do a lot of interplanetary litigation. It’s our specialty, actually.”

“Which is why you have me studying for the Vulcan bar exam?” Lena asked.

“We do a whole lot of work for the Vulcan embassy. Which is how I got recommended to help your brother-in-law with the custody situation. Cory’s more of a diplomat lawyer; I’m a family lawyer. Thanks to the unauthorized likeness suits, Captain Spock is one of your clients. You may need to argue cases on New Vulcan in his defense. It would be practical.”

“Especially if I might have to leave to get away from my father.” And she’s wondering more and more if she will have to do what Ben and his mother-in-law did. Even Zoe wasn’t coming back. She got a job at the VSA. They received the rapid message about it yesterday, and it was discussed during an official briefing. It’s reasonable to assume that New Vulcan could use lawyers.

“It might not need to come to that just yet. He violated the restraining order again. So he’ll probably get locked up this time.”

“I don’t think he’s actually going to stop until he is dead.” Or the other way around, but Lena doesn’t want to say that out loud.

“Well, he’s 80 and not the healthiest person. But I’m not opposed to actually having a rep on New Vulcan. Again we do a lot of work with the embassy, so having someone on the planet would be useful.”

“So why am I here?” She asked.

“Christmas present,” Cory commented. At that moment, the screen came alive, and she saw Liz on-screen with the babies. Both babies were playing with the doll she sent them. They were adorable.

“I did promise to call. Happy Christmas.” Liz said.

“Thank you. I see the babies are enjoying their Christmas present.” Lena smiled at the babies. They are the cutest.

“So very much. I sent pictures.” Liz answered.

“Good. Where’s my niece? Did she get all her presents?” She asked.

“Yes. Also, Gina delivered your presents to Leonard and Nyota yesterday. I’m sure you’ll get a thank you note in about 2 to 3 weeks.”

“That’s so kind. I just assumed they wouldn’t get there until Josephine went back after New Year’s.”

“Gina wanted to. Kevin is getting Josephine, but I thought we could talk for a minute.”

“Did either of my bosses send you a rapid message about the stupid thing my father did today?” Lena asked.

“Yes. Are you OK?” Liz asked.

“I don’t even know yet. I’ve only known about the incident for about five minutes. I’m trying not to let him ruin my day. Although I regret you won’t be coming back to help me house shop. The current place was so perfect.”

“You’ll find something better,” Liz says just as Josephine runs into the room, followed by her friends Peter and Ashley. Although she’s not sure which Ashley because her niece had two good friends named Ashley.

“Well, it looks like video chat is possible.” Josephine looked very happy to see her on-screen.

“Very possible. Introduce me to all your friends.” Josephine excitedly began introductions, although she regrets her cousin wasn’t there due to accidental chocolate intoxication. As she met her niece’s friends, Lena forgot about the whole situation with the judge. She’d much rather spend quality time with her niece.
To be continued…

Notes:

So sorry, this chapter is coming in January. I’m still working on the next batch of chapters, so I couldn’t post two back to back.

Chapter 140: Day 308: Post-Christmas bad news

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all absolutely lovely. We are back with Enterprise with this chapter. Remember, the ship is getting these letters about two days behind. It really would be one, but the time difference messes everything up.
Warning: Grab Tissues.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones; NyotaUM
Subject: Mom, I miss you
Time arrived: 12/26/2260 00:00:01
Hey,
Mom and dad.

I miss you both. Although more mom since you just left two days ago. I’m glad to know that you got back safely. I’m doing well on planet by myself. I am now happy school is over with until the New year. Also, I now have the babies to play with. Toddlerhood is interesting.

Because of the banquet, I didn’t get to see the babies until this morning. They stayed at grandpa’s house with Gina and Nana Lin. They’re so big. And chatty. Katie bear talks in little sentences, and baby D is getting there. I missed so much. The videos don’t do them justice.

I got to bring them to the spaceport to meet all of my friends before they returned to the Enterprise. Everyone says they’re just so adorable and super cute. We took lots of pictures. I’m sure you probably have them by now because Ashley 2 said she would send them to you once she was on the ship. Therefore, it would be a local message.

I got an all-safe email from Ashley and Jay about five minutes ago, a.k.a. midnight ship time. I really do think our emails are being screened. Although it’s probably because of Uncle Jim’s encryption. But even Nana Chen says he should keep things encrypted. Uncle Jim added the encryption to her personal PADD so she can send messages to Liz and Sue when they are on Yorktown.

I asked Gina to bring you the presents from Aunt Lena. Did you get them? What did you get? I was a good girl and didn’t peek. I won’t know what I got until tomorrow. They don’t even celebrate Christmas in this house, but the Nanas that be want to wait until tomorrow to open all the gifts. Nana Lin does anyway, and Nana Chen backed her up. Winona just wanted hot chocolate and Santa Peeps.

You should definitely write to my aunt. First of all, it would be polite. Also, before my biological mom died, this was the worst time of the year in the family. So she could use kind words. I know the judge is still causing her problems because I can read between the lines. He was always at his worst around Christmas. I feel like her being in a different state won’t change that.

So we couldn’t open our Christmas presents until tomorrow. However, grandpa was perfectly okay passing out gift cards. Therefore we did a lot of shopping with the babies. They are good shopping partners, especially at the Learning Store, a.k.a. the Vulcan version of a toy shop.

In addition to the building of the gingerbread houses, we’re going to do something called a secret Santa gift exchange. It was Nana Lin’s idea. Yes, I’ve been instructed to call her that. I got Spock’s grandfather, so I picked him up a copy of The Time Traveler’s Guide to Living In the Past. I know no one will confirm or deny my hypothesis, but it’s a good gag gift nonetheless.

I also picked up some presents for auntie. Lizzy’s mom is going to deliver them once she gets back. Which might be February because she’s going to do a couple more inspections. She’s been doing a lot of work. Not Evil Nana Kirk has been along for the ride. We really want her to go by Grandma Kirk, but she refuses to on principle.

I sent you pictures of everything I got. Also, I put your name on the card because it’s only polite. Technically you paid for it since I bought a lot of the stuff with the money you gave me. I used the gift cards from grandpa to buy a full Vulcan wardrobe. We might need more closet space. Sorry, Dad. I had to get a new suitcase because I got so much stuff.

Anyway, I promise to send you pictures from the gingerbread festivities. I have to go because we’re watching old 20th-century Christmas/holiday movies. They’re all favorites of Spock’s mom. We’re watching the Nightmare Before Christmas first with caramel popcorn.
I need to write Aunt Lena, but I’ll probably do that in the morning. Or after gingerbread time. That way, I can send her pictures.

Anyway, I miss you. Please write back soon.

XXXX
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: NyotaUM;
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/26/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Never agree to a working vacation

Spock says thank you for being so considerate. He promises to write soon. It’s been a long day workday. We both equally hate the concept of a working vacation. The work part has been exhausting, and we haven’t got to the vacation part yet. Smiling at ambassadors that I don’t like is just draining. At least when I am with Spock, I can lie and say I don’t smile for my husband’s sake.

I want to be having lunch with my brother or at least my husband. Instead, I had lunch with a diplomat who tried to pinch my ass. The keyword is tried. The Vulcan representative with me nerve-pinched the fuck out of him. Sexually harassing somebody else’s T’hy’la is a big cultural no-no. It was probably best that Spock wasn’t there because he is mad he didn’t get to do the nerve pinching. I would like to avoid a diplomatic incident on vacation.

I’m thankful the Admiral put her foot down on dinner meetings, and we actually have family time. We got to have a home-cooked meal because at least a few of the others have cooking skills. Winona can only bake, but now we have gingerbread.

After dinner, we started going through Amanda’s favorite winter/Christmas movies. The fact that her absolute favorite was the Nightmare Before Christmas makes me really, really sad that I never got to meet my mother-in-law. I feel like she was probably the coolest person.

The other one on the list was Love Actually. The original, not the remakes. It feels like there are like 10,000 remakes of everything because we probably ran out of original ideas a long time ago. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Although Vulcan teen dramas are hilarious. I got us a bunch of data chips for various teen dramas that came out when Spock was a teenager. None of the recent stuff because everything ended on a cliffhanger due to genocide. Vulcan night is going to be entertaining.

So far, things have been okay. Spock does not have to be chocolate stoned to be in the same room with his father. I am getting along with my father-in-law, and he has yet to poison me. More importantly, my mom, the Admiral, and my father-in-law are all getting along. It’s like they’re all old friends. This is not outside the realm of possibilities, at least for the Admiral and Ambassador.

Your child has been ridiculously well behaved, per Kevin and Liz. They took her shopping today, and she bought a bunch of educational toys. She also purchased a more Vulcan-appropriate wardrobe. Which honestly is probably good if we ever have diplomatic missions where we might need to bring the kids again. This honestly could happen as they get older. They did well at the dedication ceremony.

However, I promise they will never go to a Starfleet dog and pony show remembrance celebration. Thank the universe Vulcan sensibilities are keeping the events around the Vulcan genocide to a minimum, but we’re still going to try to avoid them as much as feasible. I’m glad Kelvin memorials are no longer really a thing. At least until we hit the 30th anniversary, and maybe Peter will be away at college by that point.

Possibly the VSA because the father-in-law wants one of his grandchildren to go there. He’s perfectly cool if it’s the human one. Spock has been very happy about his new attitude.

Anyway, we have a long day tomorrow that will not involve diplomatic ass-kissing. So I’m going to call it a night. My body still isn’t quite used to the time difference. I have baby K sleeping on my lap as I type this. I think I’m going to join her.
Xxx

From: NyotaUM
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: Doctor bones;
Subject: Re: mom, I miss you
Time sent: 12/26/2260 07:46:01

Hey sweetie, it’s so good to hear from you. Your dad decided it was my turn to write to you. Although that might have something to do with the fact he had to start his shift early today. With Olivia gone, he’s been spending more time in sickbay. He’s really looking forward to January 1 at this point.

I loved all the pictures from the last few days. Yes, Ashley 2 did give me everything from the drop-off. The babies are getting so big. It seems like you had a really good time yesterday. You had the best gingerbread fortress. I love the use of gummy bears. I bet you had a lot of fun.

I cannot confirm nor deny your hypothesis, but I will say your secret Santa gift was brilliant and might be more useful than you think. Even though it was meant as a fictional book. The last few years have proven reality is stranger than fiction.

What did you end up getting in the secret Santa Exchange? Who was your secret Santa? Do you need another suitcase to bring your presents back in? I think we’re going to have to start using space saver cubes for all the stuff you’re bringing back. They really should’ve made the family quarters bigger. Or at least they should have given us decent closet space.

Yes, Gina did stop over long enough on the 24th to drop off presents before heading off to her girlfriend. Your aunt got me a very nice blanket along with a luxury robe and bath set. There were a lot of bath oils and similar things in the bath set. I will enjoy that as soon as we’re somewhere where I can actually take a bath.

Fingers crossed that happens on our next shore leave. Apparently, there’s an amusement park next door. We’re taking vacation time. Actual family vacation time. I’m even locking up my Starfleet PADD. We need it. I enjoyed our time together on New Vulcan, but we didn’t get to do that many fun things together because I was working and your dad was still on the ship. I do hope you get to do fun stuff with your uncles. Please tell me they’re behaving.

Yes, we will send your aunt a thank you note. Your dad will write it after his shift. She gives great gifts, and your dad is really enjoying the gourmet gift basket he received. I’m not sure how much of it will be left when you get here, but at least he’s sharing it with me.

Anyway, keep sending pictures. I would write more, but I have to be on the bridge in 15 minutes. Being in charge is not as much fun as you think it would be. I have way too many meetings, but at least engineering has not blown itself up again. Fingers crossed for another good day.

PS: The babies are adorable. Jim and Spock promise they will find a way to get them here. We shall see. I want baby cuddle time.
XXXX
From: Doctor bones
To: Legal Queen
bcc: NyotaUM
Subject: Happy holidays, thank you for all the presents (especially the slippers)
Time sent: 12/26/2260 19:21:08

I just want to thank you for all the presents you sent. You really didn’t have to. The care packages have been enough. Although Ny loves her self heating blanket. She refuses to share it with me. Although because of it, I get to keep the room at my preferred colder temperatures, so I appreciatelike it as well.

The gift basket is appreciated. I enjoyed some good chocolate in addition to the regular supply of Hershey. I also enjoyed my new massaging slippers. They’re the perfect thing after an entire shift on my feet. You have good taste in presents.

I’m sorry that they couldn’t work it out so you could come, but I hope that you really do make it to Yorktown during the summer. You’re the only family member that I like. I’m not even talking to anyone on the McCoy side of the family. They’re all awful and have no sense. This was proven by the fact that the judge could pay them to testify against me at the first custody hearing. At least they haven’t written a tell-all book yet. I know you know what Jim’s family did.

How are things in San Francisco? Do you like the new job better than the old one? I’m sure it’s probably better not to have the judge breathing down your neck. That was one of the things I enjoyed about leaving for Starfleet. He couldn’t keep messing with me. It was freeing in a way.

I hope the judge is staying the hell away from you. You always deserved better than him.

Anyway, lots of pictures are attached from Nyota from her time on New Vulcan. I think she took so many pictures because she felt bad that I was stuck on the ship. She didn’t want me to miss a thing.
XXXX
Starfleet priority message from Captain James Grayson-Kirk to Acting Captain Nyota Uhura

Subject: Hey, can you do a Voice chat?

Just so you know, the kids are fine. Our Spock is also fine. As far as I know, but Olivia will make sure that’s the case soon. I just need to chat.
XXXX
“Okay, what happened?” Nyota asked as Jim picked up. It must be important if he wants to talk by voice. “Also when did you guys decide to switch your last name again?”

“Nothing happened,” Jim answered a little too quickly. “I think honeybun is experimenting.”

“I don’t believe you. You started your message by saying the kids were okay and our Spock was okay. So that means somebody is not okay. It’s not the doctor?” Nyota asked.

“No, she’s well, happy even. Suarez is doing great on the planet. We are still having dinner tomorrow, despite her niece now being here. She was ecstatic that her niece was here because she didn’t think she would see her for a while. So, she’s happy that she stopped by on her way to her new assignment on Yorktown.”

“That’s good. Your father-in-law?” Nyota asked.

“Also, in good health. And in high spirits, because Saavik will be starting the international school in January. Granted, there will only be like 10 people in her grade level, but at least she can avoid the evil classmates from the learning pods. We ran into them this morning at Spock’s demo. Thankfully Ashley three managed to keep a fight from breaking out.

“Then that leaves the other Spock. That would make your other comments make more sense. You guys were supposed to have tea today.”

“Yep, and it’s probably good that I have large quantities of cannabis tea right now. I’m gonna need at least three pots to process.” Jim sighed. He sounded exhausted.

“What happened?” She asked, concerned.

“Other Spock is sick. Terminally ill sick. I almost threw up when he told me.” Jim confessed, and she wasn’t expecting that. That explains why he needed to talk to her.

“I understand why you don’t want to talk to your Spock about this just yet.”

“I will eventually, probably. But I need to talk to you first.”

“I’m happy to be your sounding board. What’s wrong? Very few things are terminal now.”

“Heart failure,” Jim answered simply.

“So that’s easy to fix. Artificial hearts exist.” If you dated a doctor long enough, you learn some things.

“He doesn’t want to undergo a transplant,” Jim explained. “He wants to go as naturally as the world intended or as naturally as you can living a second life in a different timeline. It is a small miracle I didn’t start screaming at him when he said that. I don’t want him to leave me.”

“Why doesn’t he want treatment?” She did her best to keep her anger out of her voice. “By Vulcan standards, he is quite young. He has at least another 40 or 50 years.”

“He has his reasons, and there are actually good ones. Because he’s a hybrid, there’s only a 32% chance that the transplant would work like it should without modification. There is also a 21.2% chance he would die on the table.” Jim explained.

“Which is a higher probability than I am comfortable with.”

“I’m not either. So I get why the elder doesn’t want to undergo an artificial heart transplant, and I respect that. Also, I think he already feels like he is living on borrowed time. That he should’ve died when Vulcan did.” Jim explained.

“Or maybe when you did. The elder outlived your counterpart by a lot, right?” Nyota asked, well aware that Spock does not want to live in a world without Jim.

“Yes. He outlived everyone. Although he was still in contact with Sulu’s kids and grandkids when he crossed over to us.” Jim responded.

“First, I am surprised he told you that much.”

“He didn’t. Things slip out during mind melds. Although what I saw didn’t make sense until D was born.” Jim explained.

“That makes more sense. The idea of baby DSulu having kids is just so hard to process. She’s a squishy little baby.”

“More like a squishy toddler right now.” Jim retorted.

“I’ve seen pictures. Ashley 2 had dozens of images from the drop-off at the spaceport. Will I get to see the babies in person soon?” Nyota asked.

“Yes. I’ve managed to convince everybody to come to the ship on the first when the family will force us to do a joint birthday party. The family will leave from there, but it will give everybody a day on the ship, which means baby time.” Jim explained.

“Thank you for being willing to go through a birthday party just to give me baby time. We can all use baby time, especially you.”

“I don’t know what I feel right now. I’m still trying to process it.” Jim acknowledged. “Although the tea is helping.”

“I bet it is. You’re probably hurt and confused. You’re also worried about our Spock.” To be honest, so was she. Genetically they are the same person. Genetics plays a large part when it comes to many cardiac issues.

“You’re not wrong,” Jim said with a sigh. “Olivia and I are coordinating to have our Spock do a physical at the VSA before we leave. Full workup. Possibly tomorrow if we can get enough meetings moved around.”

“You’re going to try to get other Spock’s medical records to Leonard, aren’t you?” Nyota asked.

“They might already be on their way there. Although I didn’t get them by the most ethical means.”

“You’re not supposed to do that.” She admonished.

“Do not cast your stones at me. You weren’t supposed to read my personal emails to my future husband that I was never planning on him actually reading, but you did.”

“Because I was worried about both of you, and I already lost one friend to death by suicide. I didn’t want to lose another one.”

“I know, which is why you were never kicked off the ship.”

“I’m grateful for that. I know you’re just being really protective, so I’m going to leave your punishment to your husband.”

“How’s captain life?” Jim asked, obviously changing the subject.

“Good. It helps that engineering hasn’t blown anything up yet.”

“I feel like the new interim head knows what they’re doing. Now I really miss Rebecca.” Jim sighed.

“I do too, but she absolutely loves London.” Nyota got an email from her when she got back to the ship. “She said that they’re planning to do Christmas dinner with Nhi. Carol celebrates but the other two don’t. However, they’re cool with turkey.”

“Other than the vegans, most people are cool with turkey. The hubby prefers a cranberry nut roll. Which we had yesterday. Mom brought all the varieties of nuts I am not allergic to.”

“Aren’t you allergic to most earth tree nuts?” Nyota asked.

“Yes, Earth tree nuts. However, I can eat non-Earth tree nuts. Especially planets near the neutral zone. Which seems weird because they’re genetically similar.”

“Maybe it’s for the same reason everything on New Vulcan causes Chris three to break out in hives, but none of it showed up in the Earth allergy testing.”

“Possibly.”

“Are you going to be okay?” Nyota asked.

“I don’t know. I am still processing. I just realized this is going to be one long goodbye. I’m not even sure how to deal with that. I’m going to have to tell the kids eventually. They all love their great-grandpa. Shit.” Josephine is going to be devastated. She just got a picture of other Spock hugging her after receiving her gift.

“How long?”

“A year, maybe two. It’s the reason why the elder pushed for the father-in-law to adopt Saavik instead of adopting her himself. Also, why he didn’t want to contribute to the Vulcan sperm bank.”

“Because he didn’t want any children out there without a father since he wouldn’t be around.”

“Right. He’s trying to get the colony as settled as possible. The elder being sick explains why things are moving so quickly.”

“Because he doesn’t have time left.”

“Not a lot of it.”

“He is trying to make the best of it.”

“He doesn’t want me to tell Spock,” Jim confessed just as Nyota got another rapid message on her PADD. This time from Spock.

“Which isn’t going to happen because he already knows something’s not quite right. I got a rapid message from him. Your emotions are all over the place, and he knows you’re upset. Your husband also knows that if it was really bad, you would contact me first.”

“Are you telling me I need to text my husband?”

“Yep .”

“I don’t want to have this conversation, but I know I need to.”

“Yes. Let me know how things go with the spouse. Just so you know, I did get your email this morning, but I’m counting this is my response.”

“Completely understandable. I’ll message you after I get done with Spock.

“Old fashion email. Let me have time to adjust. And maybe convince my boyfriend not to be mad at you for violating various medical privacy laws.”

“From a certain point of view, I have the right to access the files. He’s a version of my husband, and I have power of attorney.”

“Yeah, I’m not sure how Lena would interpret that part of the law. The card on her gift stated that she is taking the Vulcan bar exam in a few months.”

“Oh good, it will be nice to have someone we trust that understands Vulcan law. I’ll talk to you later. Spock bear is texting.”
Xxx

Spock bear: I feel that you are quite distressed.

Jim: Extremely distressed. Lunch did not go the way I thought it would. Although I do have cannabis tea— Lots of cannabis tea.

Spock bear: Are you drinking any right now? I think you might need it. Also, should I schedule an emergency session with Dr. Margarita?

Jim: Yes, yes, and yes. I’m still in our private room at the tea room. They don’t kick you out if you buy enough tea, even if you start crying.

Spock bear: Does this have anything to do with the fact I now have a physical at the VSA medical facilities tomorrow morning? Several of my meetings have been rescheduled for the 28th

Jim: Yes, and the Admiral’s assistant is the best. Can we poach her?

Spock bear: Her regular assistant did not come with her. Kevin has been functioning in that capacity, and unfortunately, your brother cannot serve on our ship.

Jim: I thought you could have a sibling under you. They just couldn’t report to you. Not that Kevin would want to serve under me. I know he doesn’t.

Spock bear: The regulation applies to all family numbers, including relatives by marriage. Unfortunately, with both of us being in command, there is not an alternative chain of report.

Jim: I am not surprised.

Spock bear: I am currently standing outside the restaurant. Do you want me to come in?

Jim: No, I’ll come to you although I’m warning you now I really need a hug.

Spock bear: Of course.

Jim: Also, I need you to promise me that you will stay healthy and around for Peter and me for as long as possible.

Spock bear: My counterpart is unwell?

Jim: Yes. Terminally so.

Spock bear. I’m coming to you.

Jim: I really love you.
To be continued…

Notes:

You may now commence throwing cyber tomatoes at your writer. Keep in mind that I’m trying to stay somewhat canon-compliant. These are just significantly more emotionally healthy versions of the characters.

Chapter 141: Day 309: I have yet to nerve pinch my father or any other family members

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left comments for the last chapter. You are all wonderful. I know that the last chapter was hard on everyone because it was hard on me. You did not notice it because of the new chapter banking system, but I actually took a 5-month break on this story after that chapter. I focused on all the other stories for a little while before coming back to this universe to give my heart a little time to heal. Of course, I had to reread everything with that long of a break. Whenever I do that, I usually find a boo-boo that I made. You’ll find out what that boo-boo was in the next chapter.

Chapter Text

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Magnificent Ashley 2.0; J fabulous
Subject: Greetings from grandpa’s house. I miss you guys
Time arrived: 12/27/2260 00:00:01
Hey, I miss you guys. I really wish your guardians would have let you stay on the compound. It was more fun with all of you here. I’m so sorry I didn’t write you yesterday when I got your “we have all arrived back on the ship safely” message. There was way too much going on yesterday. Last-minute emergency shopping and quality time with Peter’s brand-new grandmother.

That meeting was nowhere near as traumatic as Peter feared it would be. Also, a fight did not occur between Nana Winona and Uncle Jim. We are all grateful for that. Apparently, she didn’t like Spock early on for a reason known only to her, but it probably involves how those two got together. Dad said it involves nerve pinching and judiciary hearings.

Because we got your email so quickly, we’re now 100% certain the delay on our messages is deliberate. It has to be Uncle Jim’s encryption. But it’s really the only way to guarantee privacy. If you talk to my mom, she will upload a copy to your PADD. Actually, I wonder if you’re even going to be able to open this message without the encryption. Well, if I don’t get a response, I will know. I should have thought of that earlier.

That’s a risk I’m just going to have to take because I prefer not to write any message without encryption. I have a psycho grandfather. I don’t think he cares about me, but he’s kind of been fucking with my aunt. I could see him targeting me to hurt her. Therefore I prefer for him not to get any information about me by any means. I know he probably has friends at Starfleet that would be happy to forward my private messages from the server.

He broke into my aunt’s condo today, a.k.a. Christmas Day, and apparently burned down part of the place. I don’t know all the details. I’ve decided I don’t want to know all the details.

For Christmas, I got to do a video call with my aunt. It was our first real-time conversation since February. Considering what happened today, she really needed it. She didn’t actually tell me what grandpa did. I found out because they disconnected the video but not the audio after our visit was over. I got to hear Aunt Lena thanking her bosses for giving her a wonderful Christmas present that completely makes up for her father breaking down the door to her condo and starting a fire in her office. Yes, my family is that fucked up. No, I don’t want to talk about it.

I wish I could have introduced her to everyone. I think she would have loved you all. Maybe we can try to do a video call on shore leave. Mom said you guys could come with us to the amusement park if it’s okay with your guardians. Uncle Spock is paying. I think that’s his not a Christmas present to me.

My cousin is very sad she will not be joining us. She’s never been to an amusement park before. Unfortunately, New Vulcan doesn’t have any amusement parks. They barely have parks. Actually, they didn’t have amusement parks pre genocide. Gina assured me that Vulcans love going to amusement parks on other planets. She used to go all the time with her girlfriend.

Sorry Ashley, you owe Chris II 50 credits. They are totally together. The GF might be taking a two-year job on Enterprise. Gina is really happy about that. They have been dating off and on since high school. Gina would really like for the relationship to stop being long-distance.

So, you should have lots of pictures from today’s nondenominational day of winter festivities. (Even though it’s actually summer here.) By the time you read this, you may have already received pictures from tomorrow when Uncle Spock does his Vulcan martial arts demonstration. Kevin is actually looking forward to that. I think that might be because, deep down, he still wants to hit his brother-in-law. There might still be a few issues there. Probably related to that disastrous first meeting. Peter still doesn’t have all the details.

I’m glad we’re going to get to spend some time together. Liz and Kevin are the best people. They got me so many presents it’s ridiculous. I’m just always happy when I get to hang out with them.

After that, Uncles Jim and Spock will be too busy working. I’ve seen their schedule, and it’s kind of terrifying. I thought we were over-programmed during our field trip. It’s so much worse for them. Thankfully, we remaining kids have less structure and more playtime with the babies now. I found out we are going back to the botanical gardens and the animal sanctuary on the 27th. I cannot wait to see the babies with the animals. That’s going to be cute and fun.

How did Christmas/whatever you choose to celebrate go with your families? Will I be getting pictures? What’s happening on the ship? I miss being there. It’s weird being on the planet for so long. I think I’m the exact opposite of my dad in that regard. He hates ships, and I want to be back in the black.
Anyway, write back when you get a chance. I really miss you guys.
Xxxxx
From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/27/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I have yet to nerve pinch my father or any other family members

Greetings from my father’s house in what James refers to as our baby condo. You were right. My father did build an entire wing for James and me, complete with a separate entrance and kitchen. We are staying in that section with the kids right now.

So far, the visit has been going well outside of the work components. I find most of the meetings superfluous and inefficient. Almost everything could have been handled via a video conference or simple email. Although at least I was not sexually harassed like James. My father has reassured me that the diplomat in question will be severely reprimanded. Unfortunately, I feel that the diplomat being rendered unconscious by my father’s assistant may end up being his only punishment.

The ambassador involved represents a planet that is presently not a member of the Federation but considering joining, and the diplomatic situation is complicated. Removing the ambassador may not occur until after the planet joins the Federation.

I am grateful that we will not be working today or tomorrow. Even if that means spending large amounts of time with my father. As you’re aware, we spent many years not speaking to each other after my decision not to attend the VSA due to their bigotry. Obviously, our relationship is better now. He even asked for my opinion on my sister’s educational future and followed through on my suggestion. She starts at the international school next semester.

I am glad our relationship is better; I just wish it did not come at the expense of losing my mother. Being here makes me realize how much I truly miss her. Her absence is very noticeable.

Even though Amanda never lived in this house, I feel her absence. The gardens are replicas of what we had on the Vulcan of old. Even down to the bench. My father had the same artisan in Ontario create it for him just like the original. In my mind, I can see her sitting there like she did when I was a child. Despite being highly illogical, part of me expects to see her there. It hurts every time I remind myself why it is not feasible.

Yesterday evening we watched some of my mother’s favorite movies. As we rewatched the original version of the Nightmare Before Christmas, I couldn’t help but imagine her watching it with us and telling Peter about all her favorite parts. It made me realize that she is never going to meet Peter.

She will never meet any of my children, and they will never meet her. I was not expecting that revelation to hurt so much. This is my third holiday season since the death of my mother. I don’t understand why I am now sitting in my room crying after watching the kids try to assemble gingerbread houses without her. She was always so good at that.

I want her to be here. I know that is not possible. I thought I had accepted her absence. Jim thinks things are “hitting me harder” today because I see him and Kevin with Winona and Sue and Liz with the Admiral. That this is making me miss Amanda more. James told me he was always jealous of the other kids at school when they got to be with their fathers. I hope this is not actually the case. I am too old to be behaving like a schoolchild.

Regardless, I’m sending you pictures of today’s festivities. I’m going to also eat at least three of the golden coins and then meditate before I go out there again. Maybe I’ll feel better by then. Writing you has helped.

I hope all is well on the Enterprise. Please rest assured that we are taking excellent care of your child.
Xxxxx
Starfleet priority message from Captain Spock Grayson-Kirk to Acting Captain Nyota Uhura

I want to inform you that James did inform me of my counterparts’ medical issues. I am currently scheduled for a physical at the VSA Medical Center at 6:30 AM local time. I agree to do this for James’s overall emotional well-being.

I will send you a rapid message again if anything of importance occurs.
XXX XXX
December 26, 9:43 PM new Vulcan local time

Captain Spock Kirk: Please make sure I am present next time you inform James of a major health complication. I should have been there with him for emotional support if nothing else.

Ambassador Spock: You are correct. However, I was uncertain of how to tell you about my current illness. James is the first person I told.

Captain Spock Kirk: Were you worried that I would question your current stance on treatment? After reviewing your medical file, I agree with your choice. Regardless of your hesitancy for me to find out, you could have invited Kevin or Winona to join you.

Ambassador Spock: I knew you would eventually understand my choice. I’m not sure Jim does.

Captain Spock Kirk: He understands the situation. However, he wishes to ensure I do not follow a similar fate.

Ambassador Spock: We agree there.

Captain Spock Kirk: Which is why you gave him access to your medical files.

Ambassador Spock: You’re aware that I changed the permissions to allow Jim access? Did Leonard tell you that I gave him permission to read through the files after contacting me earlier?

Captain Spock Kirk: I have not received any urgent work communications from Dr. McCoy. Though I’m not surprised that he would consult you before accessing the records. No one understands your programming style better than yourself. I can easily see that you purposely created weaknesses for James to exploit and gain access to your medical files. You should have just given them to James yourself.

Ambassador Spock: Although your James is very different from my Jim, both need a project to focus on in times of grief or stress.

Captain Spock Kirk: You created a project for James?

Ambassador Spock: Yes.

Captain Spock Kirk: I have a 6:30 AM appointment tomorrow at the VSA Medical Center for a full medical evaluation.

Ambassador Spock: In that case, I should bid you good evening so that you may get adequate rest for your appointment tomorrow.

Ambassador Spock: Although you should know that your mother-in-law just arrived at my house. Your brother-in-law is also with her, along with Cadet Elizabeth Chen.

Ambassador Spock: Sarek apparently drove them here. He appears displeased.

Ambassador Spock: Should I be concerned?

Captain Spock Kirk: Yes.
XXXXX
From: NyotaUM
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sent: 12/27/2260 07:27:01
Subject: RE: I have yet to nerve pinch my father or any other family members

Congratulations on not nerve-pinching any family members. I’m sure it was tough. Although if you nerve-pinch your “grandfather” right now, I will forgive you. Unfortunately, that’s probably bad for his heart. But I’m a little annoyed at him for what he did to Jim. That was not cool.

It’s okay that being at your father’s new home affects you. Grief isn’t linear. It creeps up on you at the weirdest times. I didn’t tell you about the crying jag I had last week when I accidentally walked into a baby clothing store. There are a lot of those in the shopping district. That makes sense for a society trying to rebuild itself. The cashier just passed me a tissue. It’s not that weird for someone to start crying at that store right now, even here. Everybody here lost somebody, and apparently, big Vulcans do cry.

It makes sense that being on New Vulcan is hard for you. Amanda should be here watching old holiday movies with you and your child. Amanda should be the one teaching Peter how to make her signature gingerbread Vulcans, and she’s not. It’s moments like these that you really feel her absence. That’s normal.

Last year was my first holiday season as a mom. Yes, I was still mourning the miscarriage. But I also really missed my Grandma and Marc because that would’ve been their first Christmas with my daughter. I feel like they would’ve loved Josephine so much. Marc would have told her all the best stories from our boarding school days. It hurt that they weren’t there last year. It hurts that they’re not here this year. I hate to tell you it’s always going to hurt. Some years are better than others. The only thing you can hope for is that it’s mostly better days eventually.

This year was better than last year, maybe because I wasn’t dealing with the baby grief as much. Or maybe it was because I was on the ship and not on Earth. Leonard and I had a good Christmas by ourselves, but we can’t wait to open more gifts when Josephine returns. Maybe that will be when the floodgates open for me. I don’t know. Like I said before. Grief is not linear. It’s okay if we’re sad, and it’s okay to mourn. It’s also okay that it doesn’t completely end. But I do think eventually you come to terms with it.

So obviously, you know about the Elder. I’m glad I got your rapid message about five minutes after your other email showed up. I was up late due to dealing with a minor ship issue. Obviously, the email was written days ago. I want to ask you how you’re feeling about that, but I’m not sure what type of answer you will give me. I don’t want you to tell me that you’re your version of “fine.” Because it’s always annoying.

You just found out that other you is terminally ill. Even though they are more than a century older than you, it is hard to process that. You can’t be fine in those circumstances. I’m not fine. I am nowhere close to being fine right now. Therefore, I don’t expect you to be.

I absolutely expect a full readout from your medical exams today. Sending it to Leonard doesn’t count because you know he doesn’t tell me anything. He even rapid messaged the Elder before reading the files that Jim sent him. He strongly believes in doctor-patient confidentiality.

I am warning you now, Leonard is definitely going to try to put you and the hubby on a heart-healthy diet/exercise plan. I’m positive my boyfriend would try to make your hubby go vegan with you, but he’s allergic to too many plant proteins to try.

I’m also supposed to ask if Jim found any new food allergies while on the colony. We haven’t received a rapid message yet, but you haven’t had your dinner with Suarez. That should be tonight which means it will already have happened by the time you read this because it’s taking way too long for these messages to get down to the colony. We’re not that far away. I will figure out why Jim’s special encryption slows down messages.

Even on people who don’t have it on their PADD yet. I have to go update Jay’s PADD. They just turned up at my door. Ashley 2 already has the special encryption, but Jay doesn’t. And he can’t read Josephine’s message because of it. Both got the email at the same time. So, I have to deal with that. I’ll talk to you later.
Xxx

From: Magnificent Ashley 2.0
To: J fabulous; kitten_loverJJMU

Subject: Re: Greetings from grandpa’s house. I miss you guys
Time sent: 12/27/2260 14:32:01

Don’t worry, I already had the special encryption. Jim is my mentor in our support group. So he already hooked me up. Although I forgot to have Jim add the software to Jay’s PADD, so we had to go visit your mom this morning. She was really nice about it. We also had to pass on some more Intel involving Chris 3 and his friends. I can’t say more, even with the special encryption. Let’s just say we had to repeat everything to security. We’re definitely having a catch-up day as soon as you get back on the ship. We have so much to talk about. Please bring lemon bars.

Sorry about your grandfather. It’s unfortunate that you have a toxic family member. I know all about that. My grandmother said getting raped was my fault, so I don’t have a grandmother anymore. Trust me, I get it all too well. I’m glad you’re several light-years away from the man. I hope that your aunt will eventually be free from him. Nobody needs that toxicity in their life.

We got the videos from your not really a Christmas celebration yesterday. I see you got so many gifts. I’m jealous. Although Jay did give me the most adorable sweater. We also brought back a bunch of sweets and treats from the colony. Nothing chocolate, but I really like those lemon bars. Can you bring more of those and the peanut butter cookies? Actually, bring gingerbread. I now have a craving for it after watching your competition.

Yes, you did have the better gingerbread house. However, babies make everything cuter. Do you think we’re going to get to see the babies again? They are the best babies. Why can’t babies live on the ship? They should be with their daddy. I heard the policies were slightly different pre-Kelvin incident. I hope our little experiment proves that families belong back on ships again.

Anyway, keep having fun on the planet and send us many pictures. We want to see everything.

XXXX
Text message conversation between Jim and Dr. Suarez December 27, 2260, 5:43 PM local time

Jimmie: Hey, can you change our reservation to 8 PM tonight? We had to jiggle some meetings around so Spock could do a physical at the VSA Medical Center this morning. However, one of the meetings we moved to Chen is now back on Spock’s schedule for 6:30 PM today because she’s dealing with another situation.

Suarez: It’s fine. Kevin actually already called me and asked if he could change the reservation. Apparently, his boss is dealing with something on Enterprise that he couldn’t tell me about.

Suarez: BTW, is it okay that he comes with us? I haven’t seen him for a while. Not really. I don’t count waving to me from the other side of a banquet hall as actually getting to speak with him.

Jimmie: Yes. Although we’re leaving the kids with mom and the ambassador. He’s taking them to the Observatory tonight.

Suarez: I just let Kevin know, and the reservations have been changed to 8:15 PM. He is also ensuring that they’ll have something you’re not allergic to on the menu and the good tea.

Suarez: Is there something I need to know?

Jimmie: He’s the Admiral’s acting assistant right now. He’s definitely making me really regret that he can’t nor will ever be willing to work for me. He’s really good at his job.

Suarez: Do you need a new assistant?

Jimmie: So badly, the hubby does anyway. We had a temp, but they are currently in the brig.

Suarez: That might explain the need for cannabis-infused beverages, but I feel like there’s more.

Jimmie: The issue with the assistant didn’t help. But yes, there is more. It’s kind of connected to why Spock spent three hours this morning at the VSA Medical Center.

Suarez: Is he okay?

Jimmie: My Spock is perfectly okay.

Jimmie: His blood pressure is a little high. But he had to deal with an emergency call with security. We found out his recently assigned temporary aid was working with a group of human supremacists on the ship who wanted to get rid of the hubby. I can’t say more because they’re still working on it. That’s where Chen is right now.

Suarez: That explains why you need cannabis tea. This is totally understandable.

Jimmie: Again, Chen is dealing with that. We’re not supposed to go anywhere near Enterprise at the moment. Which is the other reason why we have to do the 6:30 PM meeting.

Jimmie: Actually, now we have separate meetings because I have to do one that Spock should do.

Jimmie: And I really don’t need this right now because I was already worried about losing my husband since the Elder is dying.

Jimmie: Shit, I meant to push the delete button, not the send button.

Suarez: I’m going to need elaboration.

Jimmie: You might have to get that from the Elder since I don’t think I was supposed to tell you. He’s already a little upset that I told my father-in-law.

Suarez: I’ll call him. We will talk tonight. I feel like you need someone to talk to. Maybe we can take a walk while my nieces entertain your husband and brother.

Jimmie: That would be good. We’ll see you tonight.

Suarez: I’m looking forward to it.
To be continued.

Chapter 142: Day 310: Baby Brain

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are also fabulous. Yep, a lot has happened. Things tend to go off the rails when they’re on the colony.

Also, a reminder that midnight Enterprise time is 8:00 PM the day before New Vulcan time. That comes into play for this chapter.

I’m sorry for the late update. My computer was in the shop for the last two weeks. It went into hard drive failure, and the computer pretty much had to be rebuilt. Once I got it back, I spent all weekend updating the software. Because of that, I am behind in updating stories. The good news is I store all the stories on one drive now, so I didn't lose anything. I could even dictate rough drafts on the iPhone because of that. However, I couldn't polish or post chapters while waiting to get my laptop back.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

xxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/28/2260 00:00:01
Subject: The babies miss you

Let me begin by saying thank you for all the presents you left for the babies. I think you gave them half the learning store. The grandmas picked up the other half when we went shopping this morning. Apparently, their favorite thing to do on vacation is buying stuff for their grandbabies.

I wanted to see my captain’s “Athletic” demonstration, but we were worried the babies would be disruptive. So, we met up for lunch afterward, and I got to listen to the kids gush about Spock’s skills. His opponent happened to be the father of one of his sister’s tormentors. So everybody enjoyed watching him get knocked unconscious in 30 seconds. I have attached video.

I have a question about your psychic bond with our boss. Can you feel what Spock is thinking because of it? Spock just got really quiet, and he is very concerned for Jim’s well-being.

Okay, now I’ve just been left with the kids because he had to pick up his husband. I might be sending you another email later. I have kids to distract now.
XXXX
From: SuluHG2260
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/28/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Yes, the bond really does work like that.

Okay, I have an update on my previous abrupt email. Yes, the boss can feel Jim’s emotions, especially when highly stressed. Also, Jim still has a piece of jewelry that is essentially a GPS tracker without being a GPS tracker. Spock has something similar. This is entirely understandable, considering Spock got kidnapped the last time we were here.

I want to ask for one of those trackers for the kids. Their biological grandfather is a dick. Although one of their adopted grandfathers is also a dick. If you’re going to tell someone you’re very sick, you should have their spouse there for emotional support. That’s just being polite.

The kids are moving over to our part of the compound tonight for a sleepover. I expect to see rope burns in the morning. Bite marks at a minimum.

I was planning to have a great evening with Ben and Sue. Instead, I have all the kids. I think Kevin, Liz, and Winona are planning something, so I am the designated babysitter. The ambassador is their driver. Should I be concerned?
XXXX
From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny; Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/28/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I apologize for baby brain.

I am so sorry I haven’t written in forever. I thought I wrote a reply to your last letter, but I just discovered it’s been sitting in my inbox for about three weeks. Sorry. I have attached the latest ultrasound picture as penance. Again sorry.

I considered just attaching my original letter, but I figure it’s better just to start from scratch. We have so many other things to talk about. Plus, we’ve had a few work exchanges since then. I know more about the Hamilton fiasco than I ever wanted to. Because of that disaster, we will have to redo the entire communications ethics training course. We will have to make it an actual course, instead of just a unit in one of the other classes. Also, everybody is getting more ethics classes because obviously, we need them. This is such a mess.

I discovered my email mistake because pictures of Peter and Josephine petting various Vulcan animals showed up in my inbox this morning. I wanted to see if your previous letter mentioned what the kids would be doing in New Vulcan. Then I found out my reply was still in draft. Again sorry.

Your kids are cute. Tell Nyota thank you for sending me pictures express. I really should be writing to her too, but I forget. I am so busy being on the London campus and getting ready for the babies. I’m in the third trimester officially as of today. So yep, I’m out of the woods. I look forward to getting your baby-themed Christmas presents.

I’m sure you’re sending them back with your mother. Theoretically, she should be back by mid-January, but I feel like Chen may hijack her for another secret mission. Unfortunately, we’re definitely still uncovering the many traps of Carol’s father. She’s been helping us find things because she knows how her father thinks. There’s so much going on here; it’s giving me a headache. I’m too pregnant for this stuff.

So how are you doing with your kids being away for the first time? Of course, by the time you get this, they’ll probably be back on the ship. I hope you get this before Winona returns. Maybe you’re on Vulcan with her by this point. How is that going? I hope none of you have been driven to drink yet.

Anyway, I hope you guys have a good Christmas/Winter Solstice/Summer Solstice/Hanukkah/day off from work. Rebecca has decided we are making an actual Christmas dinner. I promise to send you pictures of that. Please write when you get a chance. I’ll try to respond more promptly next time.
XXXX
From: NyotaUM
To: SuluHG2260
Time sent: 12/28/2260 07:21:01
Subject: Vulcan bonds are weird
I can confirm that Jim and Spock can definitely feel each other when the other party goes through extreme emotional stress. If it’s horrible and I'm close by, I can tell when Spock is upset, but it’s very light compared to what Jim feels. Which I think is why it took us so long to figure out we had a link.

Think of it this way, I’m getting a really cryptic text message, but Jim is getting full video. Sometimes they can even send words. I hate to use this word, but it’s fascinating. If we were here longer, I would spend time with a mind healer to study my bond with Spock more. Unfortunately, because I’m not having any problems with the bond, it wasn’t possible to schedule a checkup appointment.

I’m sure we’ll do another side mission in the neighborhood since it’s so far out from traditional Federation territory. I think the elder knew of this place because of the five-year mission the first time around. This is smack dab in the middle of what we’re supposed to be exploring.

I completely agree that somebody else should have been with Jim. If not Spock, then Kevin or even you. Although you might be closer friends with Jim this time around. I think all of us becoming parents earlier changed a lot of dynamics. I don’t even know if my counterpart was ever a mom. It’s probably better that I don’t know.

How is Jim taking it? I haven’t gotten a letter from Jim yet. Since you wrote yours probably the same time he was sending his rapid messages to me, I expect something tomorrow. I should also be hearing from Josephine. I’ve gotten enough pictures. I can’t believe you let the babies pet the sehlets. They're so big. I’m also mad that I never actually got to go to the animal sanctuary. I love the work I was doing here, but I really wish I could have spent more time actually exploring the planet.

Okay, now I am seriously considering taking a six-month detail assignment to the VSA Starfleet center. Josephine enjoys being on the planet. I don’t know how Leonard would take it, but I will work on that.

Anyway, keep sending me pictures. I love seeing the kids. I miss them too.
Xxxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: Number_one_Pike
cc: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/28/2260 13:23:01
Subject: Re: I apologize for baby brain.
Yes, it was weird letting Peter stay with his grandfather without us. Thankfully he had a really good time. Per Sugar Vulcan, the ambassador has mellowed out since raising him. I think my sister-in-law might turn out semi-well-adjusted.

I am happy to report that mom is still sober. She hasn’t even broken into the Vulcan tea yet. She agrees with our assessment that cannabis tea is a gateway for somebody with her substance abuse issues. So no cannabis tea and no lemon bars.

I’ve been drinking low amounts of it for the last three days. Not because of my mom driving me crazy. We’re actually getting along better than we ever have. I’m happy to say she doesn’t hate my husband anymore. The program at Wellness Hills really did help her not bring her Frank issues into her assessment of my relationship.

I understand why she was apprehensive. Spock strangled me within the first 72 hours of our acquaintance and not in the safe word way. But we’ve worked through that, and she knows anything like that now would definitely involve safe words, lots of safe words. Although I feel you don’t want to know about our breath play activities.

So elder Spock is sick. Terminally ill dying sick. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to tell you that, but mom knows because the elder told her himself after she went to his house to yell at him for dropping this on me alone. So she will probably tell you when she gets back to London.

Kevin refuses to give me details of what exactly happened that night. However, the elder sent me a lovely gift basket the next day. I’m sure yelling was probably involved. It’s never good when Kevin doesn’t tell me things. But I decided it’s best I don’t know the details.

I’m processing the best way I can. It’s hard to accept I’m going to lose another important person in my life. I usually don’t have any warning when this sort of thing happens. I don’t think having at least a year to process will improve the situation. Maybe it’s just going to drag out the inevitable.

Also, it made me worry that I would lose Spock. There may have been a physical yesterday. He is extremely healthy but slightly stressed and needs to worry about his blood pressure. It’s borderline. So at least I’m no longer freaking out about my husband dying on me. Due to health reasons anyway. Our job is still a high-risk factor, like assassination attempts and coup d’état by our assistant. Let’s just say I’m never letting central assign us a temp assistant again. Winona is going to have quite the story for you.

Also, why does everyone think I’m the reckless one in this relationship? Sweetie bear tried to sacrifice himself to a volcano. (Sweetie, I know I CCed you on this, and I stand by that assessment.) Also, I heard a fascinating story about a speeder getting wrecked right after my cuddle bear got his license. Now that my father-in-law isn’t feeding me allergens, I get to hear all the cool stories.

Excuse me for all the rambling. I don’t think the two sessions with Margarita have taken the edge off enough yet. I’m worried about the kids losing someone again. Now I regret even introducing them to Spock’s “grandfather.” They adore him. I’m not sure how to tell them that he won’t be around much longer. I’m not entirely sure how to deal with that. I guess it’s on my list of things to bring up with Margarita. That’s becoming a long list.

I talked a little bit about it at dinner last night with Suarez, but even though she will always be one of my mom figures, she’s no longer my therapist. So, these are all Margarita problems. My poor doctor. I am shocked she hasn’t moved me to Reyes yet.

It’s okay that you accidentally forgot to hit the send button. Honestly, it was bound to happen eventually. I’ve accidentally done it a couple of times with Spock, but then the system will kick in and send it to him anyway. He really wanted to know why I didn’t want to send him an email regarding a soup recipe I got from one of the ensigns. I swore I actually hit the send button on that. Okay, maybe this is the real reason why I haven’t gotten rid of that program entirely. Although it will probably deliver my annual email to George soon.

Maybe finding out that the elder is dying only a little more than a week from G Day is making things worse. I kind of always go into a mini depression between Christmas and G day. Although it’s a little better now that I celebrate my birthday on the sixth with Spock. Yep, I am officially celebrating my birthday on my husband‘s birthday. Of course, we both have to work this year. However, Nyota will host a sleepover. After a ridiculous amount of work meetings, I am heading over to a certain store tonight to pick up some supplies. We kind of used some last night that I need to replenish.

Never ever agree to a working vacation ever. Too much work, not enough vacation. At least the kids have been having fun with Winona and Kevin. And, of course, their cousins go everywhere. Suarez was really sad yesterday was a baby-free dinner. So tomorrow she’s going on a picnic lunch with everybody at the cliffs. Everybody but me, Spock, and the Admiral. We have work.

If I have to have one more meeting with an asshole diplomat, I’m going to punch somebody. Hopefully, for Starfleet relations, it won’t be the diplomat. Why does Kevin want to become a diplomat? I just want to explore, not kiss up to assholes.

Four more days of meetings, and then we will be back on Enterprise. And here’s the thing, Spock’s meetings are worse than mine. I’m doing the “spouse meetings.” At least that’s what my father-in-law calls them. They are the type of meetings Amanda would take, and honestly, I prefer a lot of those meetings. Apparently, I have the “soft skills” of the two of us. That concerns me. Again I just mentioned I want to start punching things.

Thank you for sending a new ultrasound picture. Especially because Winona forgot to bring that file with her. The blob twins are getting so big. Congratulations on getting to your third trimester. I realized they’re March babies like I was supposed to be, and I hope they actually make it to March. I hope they are full term. Spock and I are all the January babies we need.

Also, why is everybody making such a big deal about our birthdays? We really didn’t do anything for anyone else besides Josephine. Mom says it’s because Spock and I are the ship’s captains. I think it’s because the entire world knows when my birthday is and how utterly traumatizing the whole thing is to me. I’m trying to decide if they want to make the day better for me or they just want to rub it in my face. I’m already older than Sam was when he was killed on Tarsus. Soon I’ll be older than George. Only two more birthdays to go.

I apologize for this letter being a lot. I’ll be better next time. Unfortunately, it’s depression season. This is probably another reason why I CCed my husband. I’m expecting a hug at a minimum when we get out of these hell meetings.

To be continued…

Notes:

I mentioned discovering a boo-boo last time. I realized I forgot to respond to Number one’s last letter when re-reading. So I had to come up with an in-universe explanation.

Chapter 143: Day 311: Thank You for Being a Friend

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all absolutely fabulous. More from the kids in this chapter.

Continuity notes: The letters from Peter and Josephine below were written on day 309, but we’re not seeing them until today. The letter that Jim wrote to Nhi was written on day 310. Basically, we broke the rules a little bit. In the last chapter, you saw a letter that wasn’t written on the Enterprise.

I was working on the rewrites of this chapter when the news broke of Betty White’s passing. I just got to Jim’s letter to Nyota and realized that “thank you for being a friend” would be the perfect subject line. Yes, that is the theme from the Golden Girls. Since I didn’t have a title for the chapter yet, I decided to make it the chapter title as well.

Chapter Text

From: Peter_K
To: Magnificent Ashley 2.0; J fabulous
Subject: Sorry I didn’t email you earlier
Time arrived: 12/29/2260 00:00:01
Hey, I’m so sorry I did not write you earlier. It’s kind of chaotic meeting brand new family members for the first time in person. You know how nervous I’ve been about this. I’ve mostly been trying to process that. So I didn’t have the energy to do anything else until today.

The good news is the new family members are nowhere near as evil as the old ones were even after meeting in person. I knew that wasn’t possible with Liz and Kevin, but I was wary of Winona. Primarily because of what happened with the last grandmother. I was used to dealing with an angry shrew of a human being who tried to hide that behind a kind, grandmotherly facade. Winona is exactly who she says she is. She’s a little damaged on the inside, but I still got lots of hugs and kisses. I prefer that.

They brought me so many presents. Not all of them are Legos. I did get a bunch of snacks which I will share. They also brought some selections from my father’s comic book collection. I'm happy to actually have something of his. It makes him real to me. Before, he was primarily a myth. I knew I had a father who died before I was born, but I knew very little about him. Mom didn’t like to talk about him because it was too hard.

Liz and Kevin even brought me my mom’s old teddy bear. Mom never told me that it belonged to my father first. That does explain why she cried so much when she thought she had lost it. I’m glad it accidentally got left in the storage locker on earth. If it would’ve been on Devon, we would’ve lost it. I had to leave almost everything behind there.

Did you get the video from yesterday? I had no idea Uncle Spock was that strong or skilled. He is a badass. Bonus points for his opponent being a complete dick. I am just learning Vulcan, but I’m sure he called my uncle a human fucker. Accurate but rude. Although that seems like the norm for this planet. I really have to work on my Vulcan.

Not that I want to think about what my uncles do in their bedroom together. I spent the night in the baby wing with the Sulu girls because the parents needed grown-up fun time. I’m pretty sure I saw rope marks this morning. They allegedly needed private time after great-grandpa told uncle Jim something that made him cry a lot. I don’t know what was said, but Uncle Spock had a physical this morning. So it’s probably health-related. I can’t tell you in writing why my great grandfather being sick would affect Spock. That’s definitely a conversation that we will be having later.

Uncle Kevin made a safe word joke at the breakfast table. I literally tried to climb underneath the thing. It was all just too much for me. Even though it was traumatizing, it was good to see them goof around with each other. It reminds me a little of mom and my aunt before everything went to hell. It made me feel like I really do have a family where I belong, even if they’re ridiculously embarrassing. Ashley 3 heard that.

We are going to the animal sanctuary again, but with the Nanas and the babies. The babies are so cute. I don’t think the animal sanctuary is really supposed to be a petting zoo, but the babies saw it that way. There are so many pictures. We’re doing the botanical gardens again tomorrow. However, this time we’re going to get a behind-the-scenes tour since Sulu will be with us. I hope they take us to the part that is still under construction. I want to see what they’re doing next.

The next day we’re doing a picnic on the cliffs, along with a hike. The grown-ups are still planning that. I don’t even know who’s coming with us yet. That will be fun and something that we didn’t get to do with our classmates. We didn't do this earlier because everybody was worried we would push Chris 3 off the Cliff. Their fear was possibly justified.

Hey, is Chris three in the brig right now? I kind of overheard bits and pieces of a call between Spock, Josephine’s mom, and the Admiral this morning. Unfortunately, I didn’t get everything because Liz caught me listening in and made me leave. I also got the “do not listen to classified conversations because there are just some things you don’t want to know” lecture. I will say hers was more interesting than the version I got from Spock.

So, what’s going on with you guys? Did you have a good Christmas/Winter Solstice? Although it seems weird doing Winter Solstice when we’re on a planet during the height of summer. We’re actually doing a morning hike to the cliffs, so I guess we probably should say we’re doing brunch there. Lunch would be way too hot, and I burn easily. If I wasn’t using Uncle Jim’s special sunscreen, I would be a lobster right now.

xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones; NyotaUM
Subject: I have yet to get sunstroke
Time arrived: 12/29/2260 00:00:01

Hi mom and dad:
I miss you guys, and I’m glad I’ll be back in a few days. I’m happy to hear you emailed Aunt Lena. She can use all the support. Did anybody tell you that the judge broke into her house and caught her study on fire? Apparently, she’s moving again. Although I didn’t quite get all the details. I found out that much due to Aunt Lena cutting the camera off but not the microphone. Liz refuses to give me more details. Or maybe she doesn’t have them. I am inclined to go with the former because that is what usually happens. But perhaps it could be the latter. I don't know.

I also don’t know why Uncle Jim was upset last night. I know he had lunch with Spock’s “grandfather” alone, and then he was a crying mess for most of the afternoon. Nana Winona also left to yell at the Elder. Which is why we ended up having dinner on our own. Do you know what happened? I know something’s wrong. The adults are being extra quiet which is never a good sign. Uncle Spock having a physical today is also not a good sign.

Because of that, Nana Chen will no longer be joining us at the animal sanctuary. She has to do meetings instead. Nana Chen was really looking forward to seeing the babies with the animals, but it’s not happening. She scheduled a meeting to discuss how Starfleet could help the sanctuary preserve and rescue species once indigenous to Vulcan. Unfortunately, that meeting got killed, which is sad because that’s actually more useful than most of the meetings she’s been going on. She didn’t even get to take off yesterday like uncle Jim and Spock. She’s only got evening baby time. That’s kind of sad.

I got so many holiday presents that I need a suitcase just for those. Thank you for the sweaters and blanket you left behind for me to open on Christmas day. How did you get them? Did you have Liz bring them? Although I’m glad you realized that I’m always cold when I’m on the ship. I prefer old-school sweaters to modern self-heating uniforms. I know Uncle Spock uses the heated uniforms, but I just prefer the texture of the fabric.

Anyway, I’ll probably write at least one more time before we get back. I’m not entirely sure if we’re leaving late on the 31st or early the morning of the first yet. I know Nana Kirk plans to do a joint birthday party for Uncles Jim and Spock. Uncle Jim is not amused. I see this as an excuse to get the babies more cake; I hope nobody dives into it headfirst this time.

PS: We’re going to the cliffs on the 29th for brunch. I will send pictures.
XXXX
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: NyotaUM;
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 12/29/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for being a friend

Hey, I just wanna say thank you for being my sounding board yesterday. I really needed you, and I’m glad you were there. You’re my voice of reason.

I know I completely freaked out Spock. He knows. (Obviously now since I’m CCing him.) But I think you knew that before because he messaged when we got back to the house. Also, you had that call with him this morning, which caused his blood pressure to go a little high. Seriously they were really trying to kill my husband? Well, not really because they sucked at it, but they were trying.

I’m so proud of our Enterprise kids tipping us off. I’m bringing them so many goodies when we arrive because the kids deserve it. We have the best kids.

I know Spock didn’t tell you about what was going on with me because you had to talk shop. So I will tell you now. Ben, Sue, and Sulu took the kids for the night, so we could work through everything. He and the significant others volunteered because my father-in-law, Kevin, and Liz were with Winona. I don't know exactly what happened with mom, but she returned sober. It really is the most I can ask for.

By working through things, I mean we broke the headboard in the bedroom. My father-in-law actually asked us how that happened, and Spock answered him truthfully. I’m just glad that happened before the kids arrived. (OK, Ashley 3 was there, but she is not one of my kids.) I’m trying to decide if my father-in-law’s expression was pride or confusion. Spock can read his father better than me but refuses to confirm. Although I'm now confident that the signature eyebrow raise came from daddy dearest.

Spock had his physical, and he’s in pretty good shape. The only thing we’re worried about is his borderline high blood pressure. That might be stress-related, so he will work on that. We also had our mental bond checked out by a mind healer on the colony, which is doing well. The mind healer thinks that Spock could create a parental bond with Peter if he wanted to. Apparently, being part human makes him better suited to form mental bonds with humans. However, I don’t think Peter is ready for that just yet. I don’t want him to think that we will replace his mom. I don’t want him to ever think that.

I’m still trying to figure out what we’re telling the kids. Peter anyway. I will tell Josephine whatever you want me to say. She’s your daughter, and I’ll respect your wishes on that. Although if I tell Peter, my child is going to tell her. So, keep that in mind.

To be honest, I’m less concerned with how Josephine will deal with this information. I feel like maybe she’s more resilient, or perhaps she’s just dealt with less trauma than Peter. Not that having your mom wrap her car around a tree isn’t traumatic because it is. But her aunt wasn’t murdered. Her dad didn’t die before she was born. Even though her mother died, she didn’t end up with complete strangers. The event didn’t take a lot of her other friends simultaneously. It feels like Peter has lost everybody important in his life one way or another up to that point.

I’m just starting to realize how traumatic that was for Peter. He knew the biological mom of Sulu’s nieces. I overheard him telling Sulu’s sister a few of the best stories over the last few days. He cried afterward. In a way, I’m happy about it because crying means that he’s processing it.

The elder sister has been spending a lot of time at the compound planning both weddings. (I don’t know where the younger Sulu’s sister is, and I think it’s best I don’t know.) My father-in-law is trying to convince Liz and Kevin to get married on New Vulcan. Thankfully, in winter but the man still thinks that they should have the ceremony here. I decided to stay out of this even though the rose garden would make an excellent photo op. There are ways to use that and not get fried. This is the 23rd century, after all.

The elder Sulu sister is also planning our massive birthday party. I received an itinerary. I hate this, and no one will listen to me about it. Even Spock is going along with it for "morale" reasons. We come back to the ship on January 1 after having a goodbye breakfast. Once we get back, Spock and I will take the bridge immediately after dropping our luggage off. That way, you can have quality baby time for the day.

I tried to volunteer to cover the bridge during my own birthday party, but the Admiral will not let me. Neither will Winona, and I would like for us to part on good terms, so I’m not going to throw a fit. I actually think Sulu will take over. Lucky bastard. Sue offered, but she isn’t allowed to due to bureaucratic bullshit. Honestly, I could totally see the Admiral taking over just long enough for the party. It entirely feels like something she would do. They will be heading back to their own ship the following day.

Spock and I will also be back full-time. I have the 4th off. Spock refuses to take the six off because birthdays are illogical, and I agree.

Did I mention how much I love my husband today? I genuinely love this man. He completely put up with me being ridiculously irrational. He went through the physical because I asked him to. No complaints. Just to make me feel better, even though we’re probably now going to be really late for our dinner tonight with Suarez. Oh, I gotta text her about that.
I’ll talk with you later.

PS: You are doing a great job with the ship. Keep up the good work.

 

XXXX
From: J fabulous
To: Peter_K
cc: Magnificent Ashley 2.0
Subject: Re: Sorry I didn’t email you earlier
Time sent: 12/29/2260 08:27:30

It’s OK that you haven’t written to us before. It's been a hectic few days for you with your day of gingerbread and meeting your grandmother and uncle for the first time (in person). I completely get that that was a lot. I didn’t meet some of my family members until the funeral. This was a much preferable situation. I’m glad that all your interactions were much happier. That’s always better.

I am the one responding because today is a Margarita day for Ash. She definitely needs quality time with Dr. Margarita. Actually, she’s been spending a lot of time with Dr. Margarita since we got back. You know that some of the things that happen on the planet were hard on her. Unfortunately, she encountered a few triggers here as well.

So, Chris 3 isn’t technically in the brig, but that’s probably because he’s a minor. He should be. He’s confined to quarters, complete with a security team member standing outside the door. His mom was moved elsewhere. We saw her crying in the hallway, asking what she did wrong. I’m going to go with let him hang out with really horrible people. We all warned her.

You should know most of those people he was hanging out that we didn’t trust are now in the brig. I don’t know why they’re in the brig, but the rumors are not good. I think they don’t like that your uncle Spock is not entirely human and were planning to do something about it. What that something is, I am not sure.

However, it’s enough that the head of Starfleet has been on the ship for the last two days. Ash also spotted Lieutenant Sulu’s sister is with her. The one that we’re all convinced is really a spy. I assume that that is not a good thing. But if you want to know what’s really going on, you probably need to talk to your uncles. I feel like they would be the types of parents that would actually tell you the truth. Well, they would tell you eventually.

Anyway, I hope you have a good rest of your visit with your grandmother and your uncle. You really deserve to have family time. Also, I was told to tell you to bring us more sweets and pastries. The bakery by the VSA was so good. We’ve already finished all our provisions. Please bring more.
XXXX
From: NyotaUM;
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sent: 12/29/2260 21:02:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for being a friend

No, I did not get to ask your husband any questions during our emergency calls. I know better than to ask those sorts of questions on a work call, especially because the situation was so serious. The only thing non-work he told me was regarding the mess with Leonard’s former father-in-law. That feels like something that meets the emergency threshold. I’m glad we’re far away from him, and I wish Lena would leave the planet too.

I told you to get rid of your temp, but you didn’t listen to me. Now that I got that out of the way, I won’t say anything else about the situation. After all, this is a personal letter, so I will not include details. Honestly, I don’t know most of them anyway since Chen is handling it. She’s on the ship again today with the younger Sulu sister. She is pissed. I would be, too, if I was losing quality Grandbaby time due to human supremacist assholes. She is not amused at all.

So, the kids know something’s going on up here and down there with the Elder. At least, that’s what I gathered from my letter from Josephine and something that Jay told me. I think you should let them know that the Elder is at least sick. Maybe not terminally so, because we might pull off a miracle. Leonard’s looking through the med history to see if he can find something. He may try to bring the Elder up here to examine him himself.

Unlike you, he actually contacted the Elder before looking. He doesn’t want to violate anyone’s confidentiality. He was promptly given permission. I’m pretty sure you were set up. The Elder knew you needed to keep busy. Instead of handing his medical records to you, he just made it easier to get them via the Jim Kirk method. That seems like a very Spock thing to do.

Also, the kids on the planet know that Chris 3 is incarcerated. Somebody overheard some of my conversation with Admiral Chen. So you need to tell them something. Maybe not about the murderous temporary assistant, but I think it’s going to be worse if they hear rumors. You know the Enterprise kids will tell them everything.

I get why you hate your birthday. There are definitely many dark emotions that you associate with it. It’s another excuse for cake, but our crew needs cake right now. Morale is down currently because of the incident.

That being said, I’m glad you’re actually taking your birthday off. You need an actual vacation, even if it’s just reading books in your quarters all day. You’ve been working this entire time, possibly more than Spock. You need rest.

I trust you with my kid. That means I trust you to tell them both what they need to know. You are right; if you tell Peter, then Josephine will know. So I think it’s better if you tell them both simultaneously. I think you took the thing with the Elder so badly because you were alone. Let them be there for each other.

How are things going with your mom? Hopefully good. Are you getting to spend time with her? Is it easier for you to interact with her because you have Peter? I know it’s easier to talk to my mom now that I’m a mom. I have a better understanding of why she made the choices she made, I’m able to forgive her for those choices.

You love Josephine so much. She treats her like any other grandbaby; I’m thankful for that. I got a whole suitcase of presents from the woman. A few of them we have not opened yet. If I don’t hear from her before you guys get back, I will have to send a thank-you note. She sent all the best snacks.
Anyway, I hope your last two days on New Vulcan are good. The pictures from the Botanical Gardens yesterday look very promising. I’m sorry you couldn’t be there with the kids. But we will all be back together on the first.
I look forward to seeing you then.
XXX
From: Doctor bones
To: kitten_loverJJMU
cc: NyotaUM
Subject: Re: I have yet to get sunstroke
Time sent: 12/29/2260 22:29:13

Hi sweetie. It’s your dad this time. I am so happy you had time to write. I’m glad you’re having a good time, and you’re getting to do some different things. I got your pictures from the botanical gardens. I’m happy to hear nobody broke out in a rash this time.

Please make sure you use your sunscreen and take your allergy meds before surrounding yourself with Vulcan botanical life again. Also, make sure you stay hydrated. I don’t want Olivia to have to beam you back here because of dehydration.

I know you won’t see this before you go to the cliffs because you’re probably there right now. However, you still have two more days on the planet. The place is just one big heatstroke waiting to happen. Don’t let your guard down just because you’re leaving soon.

I was the one who noticed you were Cold all the time. If the tricorder didn’t say otherwise, I would think you were sick with the amount of shivering you were doing. That’s why I made sure Liz brought you a sweater. I’m glad you got it, but that was actually one of the presents you were supposed to open here. I guess they got mixed up. Oh well, we’ll figure it out later.

We did know about the situation with your aunt. Spock informed your mother during one of their emergency calls. There was a minor situation on the ship which required a real-time call. Let’s just say I’m happy you were not friends with Chris three. He definitely got involved with the wrong crowd. He’ll be leaving Enterprise early along with several of his acquaintances. Most in handcuffs. You can get the rest of the details from your uncle Jim. He has my permission to tell you.

Yes, your uncle Jim did find out some awful news during his lunch with the Elder. I think he’s taking a moment to process it, and he’ll tell you when he’s ready. But don’t push him, OK? He’ll let you know when he’s ready to.

I know you think the adults are keeping things from you. But sometimes, we’re just not able to talk about it yet. I can’t speak for the others, but I will try not to keep secrets from you. But I may take time to process the situation for myself before I talk to you.

Anyway, we love all the pictures we’ve been getting. I’m glad you got to go back to the garden again. It looks beautiful there. It looks like you got to go somewhere a little different than last time. I’m also glad your uncle Jim didn’t go with you because he probably would’ve broken out in hives.
Anyway, we’ll see you soon.

PS: I give you permission to bring your mom those lemon bars. She needs a few lemon bars right now. Actually, have your uncle Jim pick up the lemon bars. He knows what to buy.
To be continued…

Chapter 144: Day 312: Lemon Bars for Everyone

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are lovely as always.
I promise we will stop having the daily chapter soon in-universe. I find it a little exhausting and miss being able to skip a few days between messages. For example, I felt there was some repetitiveness in this chapter because I had to keep covering similar things from different perspectives. All while trying to find a unique way to tell it and give you additional information. That’s harder than it seems on the surface to accomplish.

Chapter Text

From: Jim’s_cuddlebear
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/30/2260 00:00:01
Subject: RE: I have yet to nerve pinch my father or any other family members

We have already received our new dietary and exercise guidelines from your boyfriend. He sees no point in waiting for a return to Enterprise. However, James says we are ignoring them until we are back on the ship. He argued that we should at least observe the vacation rule of eating whatever we want. Since we cannot follow any other vacation guidelines during this “working vacation.” we did work out each morning in my father’s exercise facility.

You are right. The situation with my counterpart has left me less than optimal. It is making me reflect upon my own mortality. I want to live as long as possible for James and Peter. Although I also realized that I will most likely keep living once they’re no longer with me. I think my counterpart does not have that desire. I believe he thinks he is currently living on “borrowed time” to use the human phrase. That he should be gone. I do not know how to convince him that is not the case. He is confident that all of us can thrive without him. We can, but his absence will be noted.

You are right about grief being nonlinear. There are moments when I feel completely at peace with Amanda no longer being part of my life. I am still sad about it, but I accept the reality of the situation. Then, unexpectedly, some instance reminds me of her absence, and the pain becomes more apparent.

James says this is normal, and he feels that way too. My husband said he missed Sam more this year than any since the year after his death. James also wished he could share his first Christmas as a father with his surrogate father, Chris Zero. Yes, that’s the name that Jim has assigned him in the Chris naming convention. I choose not to ask for elaboration.

Last night with Dr. Suarez, we briefly discussed missing our lost loved ones. She reassured James and myself that it is normal to grieve for a reality that cannot be as long as you acknowledge that. It is part of the process of moving forward.

I acknowledge that I cannot give Peter any time with Amanda. However, I can give him as much time as possible with my father. He truly adores Peter. He is more demonstrative than he was when I was a child. I wonder if the loss of my mother is partially responsible for this.

I also want to give Peter as much time with the Nana he does have, Winona. Yes, she is sober. She wants to be the best grandmother possible for Peter. She acknowledges that she missed a lot of James and Kevin’s childhood due to her alcoholism, and she does not want to repeat those mistakes with her grandson. James is cautiously optimistic, but he really does want Peter to have a relationship with Winona.
I am concerned that raising Peter on a Starship will impact his time with his grandparents and uncle, for that matter. It will be six months at a minimum before we see each other again, and that’s only because Kevin is engaged to the daughter of the head of Starfleet.

That is not to say that we will abandon the five-year mission and request a planet side assignment immediately. However, I do not believe James, and I will spend our entire careers in Starfleet, unlike our counterparts. We are actively considering other options for what comes after this mission.

I returned to Starfleet because my counterpart was around to help my people rebuild. Being here, I see that they are rebuilding, but I want to contribute. Not just the physical rebuilding but the rebuilding of our culture and people. That will require me to be here eventually. James is not opposed to us coming here once we’re ready to leave Starfleet. James did not have an allergic reaction during our meeting at the botanical gardens, which makes me hopeful.

Peter would like to go to university at the Vulcan Science Academy. Per my father, the VSA plans to be a full institution by that time. Being a Vulcan citizen, attendance at the VSA is possible theoretically. Due to my own negative experience, I am concerned about what the admissions board will do to an adopted human child. Yes, humans are more tolerated presently, but my sister is now going to the international school due to anti-Romulan prejudice. Also, the father of my sister’s former classmates called me a “disgrace Vulcan who sodomizes meat-eating humans” yesterday. I feel that prejudice is just beneath the surface. This is why I nerve-pinched him.

If Peter does go to school here, I would feel better if we were close by. I do not know if I would take a teaching position at the Academy, but it is an option. I was not a horrible teacher. I prefer it to meetings with diplomats I despise.

Yes, I have talked about these things with James. We have been talking a lot the last few days. We are still trying to decide how to tell the kids that the elder is sick. They know he is my “variant.” I felt it would be inappropriate to lie to them when they discover the truth on their own. However, they are unaware of how he ended up in this timeline or that he created a timeline branch.

We decided to explain things in terms of Peter’s favorite comic book world. At least he is not surprised to find out that time travel is possible and other timelines do exist. Josephine is just happy she chose the perfect holiday present.

Do you have suggestions? Dr. Suarez’s niece suggested that we research explaining terminal illness to children. She also recommended several books that I plan to review between meetings or potentially during meetings. At least ones where I am allowed to keep possession of my PADD. I can discretely speed read. Reviewing the books would be a much better use of my time.

At least I get to spend evenings with my father, sister, and the rest of my family. I am looking forward to a family dinner tonight. We have reservations at a Vulcan Asian fusion restaurant in the shopping district this evening. I expect the experience to be fascinating.

PS: Yes, we will pick up various baked goods for you before returning. The 31st is supposed to be a day of packing. We plan to grab provisions. Some of them will be the type that only I am legally allowed to purchase.

Xxxxx

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Magnificent Ashley 2.0; J fabulous
Subject: Please schedule an Enterprise kids gossip party
Time arrived: 12/30/2260 00:00:01

Yes, we are definitely going to have to schedule a little get-together to talk about everything. There’s so much that I found out that I can’t put in writing. I now know I got my new great-grandfather the best Christmas present ever. Also, Back to the Future is bullshit. That’s all I can say for now. We have so much to talk about.

I know you didn’t get many presents from your guardians, but I have things for all of you. Grandfather was very generous along with the Nanas. Uncle Jim is hooking you up with baked goods. Although they will all be virginal because he’s being good. Uncle Jim says he won’t give us cannabis pastries until we’re at least 18. Ben’s former mother-in-law seemed scandalized, but Nana Winona said it made sense. Kevin just kinda nodded his head in agreement. I feel like there’s a story there, but I’m too afraid to ask.

I have discovered that everything is more fun with babies. Especially because when we went back to the botanical gardens, we got to see the non-tourist trap stuff. We even got a tour of the labs that we didn’t see before. Even Peter thought it was cool, though he hated the version we got at the farm weeks ago. He loves plants, just not corn. This comes from spending any planet side time down in Iowa at his ex-grandparents’ farm before they started murdering people. My grandfather is toxic, but Peter’s ex-grandparents are so much worse. I hope they never get out of jail for what they did.

So, I have good news. You will get to see the babies. They’re coming to the ship on New Year’s Day for Uncle Jim and Spock’s early birthday party. Although Uncle Jim really hates his birthday for obvious reasons, do not wish him a happy birthday. Especially do not wish him a happy birthday on January 4. That’s not his birthday. That’s just the day he was born on. Also, please don’t bring up his dead father. Don’t bring it up around Peter, either. TalkTalking about parents dying is a trigger for him. I completely understand because it’s hard for me to talk about my biological mom. Don’t bring up the Kelvin incident, either.

We are all a little worried about January 4. I think this is partially why Everybody is leaving on the second. It gives Uncle Jim a little time to recalibrate before that day. He needs it.

We shouldn’t think of this as a birthday party but as an excuse to have the babies on the ship and have cake. Actual real cake made in an actual bakery. The same person who planned the dedication banquet is also doing this party. She’s Lieutenant Sulu’s older sister. Peter and I are trying to convince her that it should be a not-a-birthday party. We don’t know if we’ll be successful.

I hope you are getting all our pictures. Today was fun. Although I think tomorrow will be is better. Dr. Suarez iss coming, and I’m hoping to learn more fun stories about Uncle Jim. Ashley, I promise to give you all the good stuff. I think he would be cool with you knowing. Actually, you probably know a lot of these stories already since you two are so close.

Jacqueline and Olivia are also going to get to come. I’m not sure how that got worked out, but maybe they were given permission because it’s only going to be in the morning. Ashley 3 is beyond happy about it. She loves hanging out with us and not staying in the dorms. However, she misses getting to see Jacqueline daily. Jacqueline also apparently misses us because we made things less horrible. She doesn’t like many of her classmates. A lot of them see her as a little kid because Jacqueline is barely older than us. But she’s been at Starfleet Academy since she was 14.

I completely agree that the baby should live with us. I hated being away from dad during his last mission. It was even worse because my biological mom wouldn’t even let me call him or send emails most of the time. She was really controlling in that way. At least while on the colony, I’m allowed to email dad whenever I want to. I’ve been sending him pictures nonstop.

I acknowledge that maybe little babies shouldn’t be on the ship, but we could definitely have Enterprise kindergarten. That would be so adorable. Besides, most of us will be somewhere else when they are in kindergarten. I think I might apply to the VSA with Peter even though I doubt I have a chance of getting in.

I’m not sure I will apply to Starfleet like you are. It’s still a maybe for me. I think I want to learn about different careers first. I’m going to get to shadow grandpa on the 30th. Ashley 3 will be with Uncle Spock, and Saavik will be with Uncle Jim. Peter is going to be with the Admiral. Apparently, the situation with Enterprise has been handled or will be handled by that point. Which I hope means Chris is long gone.

We had a family meeting today. I don’t know exactly why Chris 3 was kicked off the ship, but we were informed that it happened. I assume this is probably related to your Chris 3 Intel you mentioned in your last letter? You deserve all the candy if you really did get him off the ship. We are definitely having a celebration. I am so glad that he’s gone.

Xxxxx
From: NyotaUM
To: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sentd: 12/30/2260 07:17:21
Subject: But apparently, you have been nerve pinching other people that deserved it

The first rule of vacation is all diets go straight out the window the moment you get off the shuttle. There are no exceptions to this rule. However, expect Leonard to begin enforcing everything strictly on January 2. He might give Jim a pass for January 4 because we all know Jim needs like a whole pint of ice cream to get through that day at a minimum.

However, maybe you should pick up some non-dairy for the stasis box. He is not allergic to coconut, right? I think I’ve seen him drink coconut milk before. Now I’m consulting the great book of Jim Kirk allergies, and coconut is not on there. All tree nuts are on there, but coconuts aren’t really nuts. I think it’s safe.

It makes sense that you’re thinking about these things in light of your counterpart being sick. I don’t think I will be a Starfleet lifer when I’m almost 90% sure my counterpart was. I saw my mom taking that path, and I don’t think I want to follow. I don’t think she would want me to either. The world is different anyway. I think Starfleet is more militarized even though Chen is trying to reverse what happened under her predecessor. I wonder if it’s already far too late.

I really liked what I was doing with the communications department at the VSA. They can use more experienced communications experts. I think Josephine could benefit from colony life. I don’t want to be that parent that puts their career first. I saw what happened firsthand, and I’m one of the success stories. I could have turned out like Chris 3.

We’ve been having work conversations about that. So I don’t really want to get into it here. However, Chris 3’s mom is so upset that she was too busy working to see that her child was being radicalized right before her eyes. We all saw it happening, and she just didn’t have the bandwidth to do with it because the job always came first. She just kept telling herself that she would deal with it later or after she transferred to the next position. Unfortunately, later was much too late.

I’m starting to genuinely believe that someone is actively trying to sabotage the minors on Enterprise program. Between Chris 3 and the nightmare before him, it seems apparent that we’re being set up to fail miserably. The first teacher definitely wasn’t prepared for this type of setup. We know Gina was brought in personally by Jim and the Admiral. That kid got kicked out of another reform school per the rumor mill. Chris three will probably be joining him. The only thing keeping him from doing time is that he is 14.

I think we just have to figure out what’s best for us. Not what people think we should do but what we need to do. You and Jim already have that down. Jim decided it was best for him not to stay a captain. Well, he’s still technically a captain, but it’s a team thing. You have the deciding vote instead of him, and this works.

If you want to go back to the colony and have a bunch of kids with Jim, then that’s what you should do. I know Jim and you want more kids eventually. But you shouldn’t consider doing that if it’s not what you want to do. Whatever you choose, you know Jim will be there for the ride. He’s that husband. But remember to take his needs into consideration.

Just take your time with making any of these decisions. Don’t react only out of grief. Bad things happen when you do that. Usually, my bad thing is sleeping with people I probably shouldn’t sleep with. At least you won’t do that.

I think I am figuring out the slow mail system. You should get this email about 8:00 PM on December 31. This means you might just have enough time to get me more lemon bars but not enough time to actually send a coherent response. So, I don’t expect one. But you better bring me the special lemon bars like you promised. Not just for me but for yourself. You might need them on January 4. Also, let me know if I’m babysitting Peter that day.
Xxxx
From: Magnificent Ashley 2.0;
To: J fabulous; kitten_loverJJMU

Subject: Party in my quarters
Time sent: 12/27/2260 14:32:01

We’re definitely doing something on the second with just us kids, especially before classes start again. Apparently, we get a little more time to acclimate, and we start back on January 5 now. I think Gina is mad she lost a day of her vacation because of Chris 3 shenanigans and decided she wants to spend more time with her girlfriend. Honestly, we deserve a longer winter break. Classes weren’t even really done for us until the 24th. I’m just glad we’re starting the new school year without Chris 3.

I saw the pictures from the CliffCliffs. Did it actually rain? Ashley definitely seems happy with Jacqueline. They look cute together. Are they just friends or more? Actually, don’t answer that. I’ll ask Ashley when you guys are up here. Also, since it’s already the 30th, I am not entirely sure you will have time to respond to this before coming back. Actually, with the weird thing this system is doing, you might be on the ship before you see this message. In that case, tell me everything when you get here.

Thank you so much for getting snacks. We need all the snacks. I respect your uncle’s stance on getting us cannabis. I’m also looking forward to the cake at the not-a-birthday party. I may like sweets a little too much, and I need as much cake as possible right now.

I agree with you on not wishing Jim a happy birthday. I don’t even think it’s all related to George. Frank did some shitty things on his birthday as well. I think Jim associates so many bad things with it that he can’t celebrate anything on that day. I know he counts January 6 as his birthday now. January 4 is just what he’s required to put on forms. Too bad you can’t legally change your birthday. If anybody should be allowed to do that, it’s definitely Jim.

I wish you luck in getting it to become a not-a-birthday party. I don’t think you’re successful since the elder Sulu sister has been on the ship. One of the large banquet facilities is now filled with what looks like birthday balloons. At least you tried. I’m sure the babies will have fun with that.

I’m so happy that the babies will get to come on the ship, even if it’s just going to be overnight. I’m glad we get to see them again. I am sad that I didn’t get to stay down there, but mom is wary of me being away too long. I’m surprised she didn’t freak out while I was on new Vulcan. My mother said she completely trusted your mom and Olivia.

You should know that all the Enterprise minor programs moms and mom figures are friends. They have their own little chat group where they drink wine and talk about things. Well, except for Chris 3’s mom. I think she was too busy to actually go to that. If she did maybe, she would have realized what was going on before he did something that got him kicked out. I hear rumbles of reform school. I don’t know if that’s going to help. It didn’t help Jeremy. He graduated to puppy murder.

Anyway, I can’t wait till you get back. I miss you guys. We’ll see you soon.

To be continued…

Chapter 145: Day 313: Congratulations, We Survived 2260

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all fabulous. I really appreciate all your kind words.

Here we are, the last day of 2260. Sidenote: I actually wrote this chapter on New Year’s Day 2022.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: SuluHG2260
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/31/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from the cliffs.

Hey, greetings from the cliffs. It’s so beautiful here. We arrived just at sunrise so that we could beat the heat. Although I’m glad because it was a spectacular sight. Pictures attached. It’s nice to watch the sunrise every once in a while.

We chose today for the hike because it will be a little cooler than usual due to rain. Actually, that’s why we decided to do brunch today. It’s beautiful there in the rain. Especially when you have a “bubble” to protect you from it. That hasn’t happened yet. But I do see clouds. I thought I would take a moment to write to you while we’re waiting for that to happen.

It was a nice hike, even though we took the easier trail. Neither kid tried to get out of their baby carrier. There are actually several trails available. Hiking is a popular leisure activity here, per the ambassador. All Vulcan leisure activities must still have a purpose, so leisure activities that double as cardiovascular exercise are trendy.

Per the experts at the wildlife sanctuary, the goal is in 20 years to start releasing some of the wildlife indigenous to the original cliffs back in this area. Although that depends on how the actual indigenous species react. So far, it’s been going well, at least on the flora front. This planet really has a lot of similar characteristics to Vulcan of old. It does rain here more often, and there's more water. So, the researchers are trying to figure out how that changes things.

You asked about how Jim was handling the situation with the Elder. I think he’s doing better now. A few days to process and a couple of emergency phone calls with Margarita have helped immensely. I think his big issue is now how to tell the kids. He’s been reading a ton of books on this. He’s also been talking to my sister. She votes for telling them now so that they have time to get in a goodbye.

Winona was also consulted and feels that it’s better to tell the kids the truth now than hide it and have it be a surprise later on. At a minimum, they should know he’s sick. Actually, Winona thinks that the Elder should tell the kids himself. She is annoyed at him. Winona also hopes that Spock’s quality time in therapy has made him better at overall communication and breaking bad news.

You never answered my question if I should be concerned or not about her visiting the Elder. Probably because you realized I did need to be worried. I'm just grateful that I did not have to get Winona, Liz, or Kevin out of jail. Again, she's very annoyed with the Elder. My fiancé is 100% on her side. They really are best friends.

At the same time, this whole thing made Jim and Spock reevaluate their priorities. Mainly, do they want to stay in Starfleet beyond the five-year mission? I don't think the answer is still an easy "yes" anymore. Some of that is related to the Elder being terminally ill and Spock’s renewed desire to help with the rebuilding efforts. Although Spock’s father quickly pointed out that he could do a lot of good for his people in Starfleet, such as the current exchange program with the VSA. Spock was instrumental in getting that off the ground. I had no idea. That Vulcan does a lot on his day off.

I think being a parent has also affected their priorities. Which makes sense. I threw my original 12-year plan out the window when I found out I had a daughter. Now I have two, and I’ll have a husband in a few months. So, it does change things. I definitely will never do another five-year mission. I don’t want to be away from my family this long again.

When you have kids, they become your main priority. Along with that is trying not to take risks that would take you away from them. I don't want my babies to become Starfleet orphans. Baby K already lost one dad. I don't want her to lose another. I don’t think Jim and Spock want Peter to lose another parent either.

Unfortunately, we just had another near miss. I don’t think that conspiracy would have done anything even if they weren’t caught this early because they were that incompetent, but it’s still concerning. Regardless, I think this is going to make them consider their options. If Chris three’s shenanigans result in the Enterprise kids program being shut down, they are definitely leaving.

I had a good visit with my sisters even though I didn't see them as much as initially planned. At least not my baby sister due to her dealing with the idiot conspiracy. It was nice to spend Christmas with them again, like when we were kids.

I also got to do a video call to the nieces yesterday. They’ve gotten so big. Peter joined us and told them a few stories about their biological mom. They enjoyed that. I know my brother-in-law did even though he cried. I think it helped him process his grief a little bit.

My big sister should be with you to set up Jim and Spock’s not a birthday party by the time you get this. I think we were able to negotiate it to a Jim and Spock appreciation day. This morning your daughter made everybody realize that we shouldn’t throw somebody a birthday party that doesn’t actually want a birthday party. If they're going to have a party just to have cake, they should just have a cake party. You really should be proud of that girl.

It just started to rain, which means you’re getting pictures of it. Actually, you’re getting video. It really is magical. Your daughter has decided to leave the safety of the “bubble” and is now dancing in it. That is understandable since she hasn't seen rain since Valentine's Day.

Anyway, we’ll see you soon.

PS: I’ve been told to tell you that lemon bars are coming. Spock is getting them himself. So, you know they’re going to be strong.
xxx
From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 12/31/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Never ever agree to proxy the Kobayashi Maru
I apologize for waiting a few days to respond. I was ridiculously busy with the end of the semester. If you think taking the Kobayashi maru is exhausting, try administering it, especially the new version of the course. I want to slam my head against the desk.

I have read so many bad essays. Grammar AIs exist, and I think only five people actually use them. We need to add a writing class to the curriculum. Starfleet is 80% writing reports. It would help if people actually knew how to write something concisely. This is at the top of my list of possible education reforms.

It's OK that you said a little too much about the Hamilton incident. I've read the preliminary report, the actual preliminary report. We're currently deciding how to change the communications curriculum to keep what happened on the Hamilton from happening again. The current proposal includes a new ethics class for the communications track. There’s some discussion about making it a requirement for all tracks.

Of course, if we add a new class, we have to take something away or consolidate it. We just had to do that for the new Kobayashi maru. Although we were able to combine it with a previous tactics class. Not many people have realized that yet since many of the people taking it this semester already took the previous class. Although considering how horrible the papers are, I don't think many of them paid attention and probably needed to retake the course.

If we completely revamp the communications curriculum, I would like your input. You don’t have to work with me, but you could work with Admiral Pike. I know you’re acquainted with her. Also, your friend Rebecca is already a faculty member at the London campus. Granted, she’s in a completely different field, but she is at that school. I just feel that most of the communications professors haven’t actually served on a ship for a while. If we’re going to change things to at least add an ethics course, then maybe we need to re-write the curriculum from the bottom up.

I really appreciate all the pictures and drawings. Josephine is so talented. I sent more art supplies, and I'm pleased I did that. I'm sure she'll make good use of everything. I want to encourage her.

I just received pictures of the kids petting what I think is a Vulcan bear of some sort. I guess it’s easier to send things from the colony. That makes sense. Even non-express messages from a planet make it to Earth faster than from a ship, especially from New Vulcan. The first thing they did was build a communications network for the colony. Allegedly they made it jam-proof. I’m sure only you know if that’s true or not.

It looks like the kids are having fun visiting Peter’s grandfather. From some of these images, I get the impression that Josephine may have been adopted as well. Which is good. She deserves one grandfather who isn’t toxic. I’m sorry my ex-husband couldn’t be that for you. I’m also sorry I didn’t divorce him earlier, but that's a different conversation.

I hope you had a good Christmas. I’m sure it will be after the fact by the time you get this message. Don’t worry, I won’t be alone. I’m going to be meeting up with some old friends for a road trip. Yes, I do have friends outside of Starfleet.

I even have New Year's plans beyond avoiding your father's wedding. Since the Academy is on break, we’re going to wine country for the week. I need wine tasting after Kobayashi maru hell. I’m exhausted. I am also grateful I found a teacher to take over next semester. I never want to teach this course again.

Xxxx

From: NyotaUM
To: SuluHG2260
Time sent: 12/31/2260 07:11:01
Subject: Re: Greetings from the cliffs.

I would probably be dancing in the rain if I was on the planet. I do miss the rain. Artificial environments are just not the same. Although I hope Josephine doesn’t get sick because I would never hear the end of it from Leonard if that happened. We haven't received an emergency message from Olivia regarding that, so I’m hopeful.

I saw that the babies joined her. Did you manage to get the mud out of their hair? Oh, wait, I’ll ask you that when you get here. I’m actually debating sending you this email since I might talk to you first, but I think it might just push to you as soon as you arrive on the ship tomorrow morning.

Jim really did not want a birthday party at all. Being reminded that he is getting older after losing so many people is starting to get to him. He lost Arlene this year, and he is about to lose the Elder. That weighs heavily on him. I’m glad my brilliant child talked some sense into everybody forcing a birthday party. I think a Jim and Spock appreciation day is better. I can report that not a single happy birthday banner is in place.

I also sent a ship-wide email reminding people of the importance of respecting other people’s emotional triggers. Actually, Margarita wrote the email, and I just sent it out under my name. It was essentially saying, “please don’t remind our first officer that his father died on his birthday,” but without saying that directly. Margarita also made it applicable to multiple situations. It was difficult, but Margarita is good at her job.

I’m glad you got to spend some time with your sisters. I’m sorry it wasn’t as much as it should have been because of the idiot conspiracy. Although I am having fun with your big sister again. We bonded after she helped me deal with my miscarriage, and I love getting to hang out with her. That might be why she came up two days earlier to work on the party. We’re having dinner tonight. I am really looking forward to it because I need more female friends. I am starting to hang out with the other moms, but Olivia is on New Vulcan right now. She’s the one I am closest to her because we’re both nontraditional.

I’m glad Josephine had such a good time on the planet. I’m happy she’ll be back tomorrow. I miss my kid. It’s hard being away from her. I don’t know how you do it. I really don’t. I can understand why you’re reassessing things. I think we all are.

We’re going to take a different path. I’m not sure what that path is yet, but it won’t be the one our counterparts took. I think that’s a good thing. We are our own people.

My mom wrote to me today. I’m glad I can send her the pictures of the kids dancing in the rain. You all seem so happy.

Let’s try to have coffee at least one day this week. I know with Sue and Ben leaving, you'll need a hug and a friend.
XXXX

From: NyotaUM
To: MomOU
Time sent: 12/31/2260 22:34:01
Subject: You deserve quality wine country time
I do not blame you for deciding to spend the week between Christmas and New Year’s in wine country. Honestly, I would do the same thing. I almost need the same thing after chaperoning the interns. I wasn't even the primary chaperone. That was Olivia and her boyfriend. A lot of things went down that I am not at liberty to talk about. Although since I was on New Vulcan, it would be more of a "tea" tasting tour.

I’m glad you sent lots of art supplies. She is running through them like crazy. I even stocked up on New Vulcan. Thankfully, the shopping district does have one Art store. I appreciate you sending more because I couldn’t find everything on the colony. That’s what happens when you’re rebuilding.

Thank you for the offer. I got a work email from Admiral Pike extending something similar, and I’m going to accept. I always wanted to change the curriculum. There’s too much emphasis on the universal translator and not enough on learning the languages. If it wasn’t for my time spent with my grandmother, I wouldn’t have bothered to take as many electives as I did. Who knows what could have happened if I didn’t take basic Klingon my first year. Or Romulan, for that matter. We could all be dead right now if I didn’t take Romulan. Those are all elective classes for the language track.

By the way, it’s bullshit that they’re saying you must take a class away to add new ones. There’s a lot of space among the electives. They're more concerned with the introductory courses because they are interested in getting people out and up here as fast as possible, especially with the shortage.

After spending some quality time with the current interns, that’s not good. The best interns we have are the older ones that went to university first. (Except for Jacqueline, but she is dual enrollment and is a Starfleet legacy.) A lot of the young ones don’t know what they’re doing. And I wonder if that’s because they’re speeding through the curriculum. I know we need more people. But we need more good people. So, if I can help with that, I’m all for it.

Yes, the ambassador has essentially adopted Josephine as another grandchild. Josephine is happy because the judge was a really horrible grandfather. Did I ever tell you that he was abusive? Maybe I didn’t need to. That's pretty much an open secret, thanks to the court proceedings. Josephine’s aunt has a restraining order against the guy. He violated it on Christmas. He actually burnt part of her house down. Josephine found some of the stuff out during a video chat with her aunt on Christmas day.

I regret we didn’t do that. However, since you’re in wine country right now, that probably wouldn’t be possible. We could’ve done that earlier before you left, but you were busy with exams. Maybe I’ll try to call you in February. There was some damage done to the engineering department that will require a couple of days at a Starbase once we’re done with the current New Vulcan research mission. Equipment will need to be replaced.

In the meantime, I’m including a video of Josephine playing in the rain at the cliffs. It’s one of the new Vulcan nature preserves. She's delighted. Which I'm glad. There are all sorts of other pictures. You’re probably going to be getting pictures for weeks. Just to let you know, there will likely be a gap since I’m now sending them from the ship again.

Yes, New Vulcan does have better communications facilities. Therefore, you’re getting messages faster. Which I appreciate. Because you should get all the pictures possible from the kids’ time on the planet. They really did have fun.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time in wine country. You deserve it. Don't think again about the ex-getting remarried. You’re so much better off without him. Anyway, happy new year. I think 2261 is going to be a good year for us.

To be continued.

Notes:

2261 here we come
Also, I think I probably missed numbered the number of days. So, we’re not going to line up right. This should surprise nobody.

Chapter 146: Day 314: Home Again

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all wonderful. We are almost at the end of daily chapters. One more after this, and then we get to skip days again. You have no idea how much I’m looking forward to that. The New Vulcan chapters have been exhausting.

Chapter Text

From: Peter_K
To: Magnificent Ashley 2.0; J fabulous
Subject: Almost back home
Time arrived: 01/01/2261 00:00:01

It’s December 30 here. I’ve spent my morning shadowing the Admiral and Uncle Kevin. The most important thing I learned from this is I will do the science track if I ever do Starfleet. Command is boring. No wonder Uncle Spock is always trying to sneak down to the lab. I think there are times he would be much happier being the science officer. That could happen for the next tour of duty. I believe their solution to the two bodies' problem is to just switch out who is the captain.

I didn’t actually have to ask my guardians what was happening on the ship because we had a family meeting. I think that happened because they knew I would find out things that they wouldn’t want me to during Take Your Child to Work day. Especially because I’m with Kevin and the Admiral. I bet they both wish I didn’t sit on the video conference with the other Lieutenant Sulu an hour ago. That was traumatizing.

I can’t tell you everything I know, but I will thank you for protecting my uncle. If you and Ashley didn’t go to Josephine’s mom about Chris 3’s problematic behavior, I might be burying another guardian. I’m glad that didn’t happen because I just don’t think I can deal with losing more family. I’m just starting to adjust to actually having a family. I don’t wanna lose that, especially due to idiot human supremacists.

I heard they will be off Enterprise before we arrive on the 1st. I appreciate that. I don’t want to see any of them, especially Chris 3. I’m glad he’s gone.

Yes, we’re bringing a lot of baked goods for everyone. Some are for the Jim and Spock appreciation party on the 1st, formally known as their birthday celebration. It was decided for my uncle’s mental health not to call it a birthday party. Now that I’ve been given a complete back story of the Kelvin incident, I can completely understand why January 4 is not a good day for my uncle.

I’m having a sleepover with Josephine that day. I think this is so they don't violate their no drugs or drinking in front of the kids' rule. Not that it always helps because I’m well aware uncle Jim has been consuming low doses of cannabis since Boxing Day. I just assume it’s how he deals with his complicated relationship with Nana Winona. (She finally agreed for us not to use Nana Kirk because the other Nana Kirk is a card-carrying villain/nutcase.)

I just got a text message from Uncle Jim. There’s going to be another family meeting tonight. I hope they announce that Saavik can live with us. She is supposed to be going to the international school starting next week, but I’m still apprehensive on her behalf. We keep running into her ex-classmates, and they all make me want to punch them, but I restrain myself.

Anyway, I don’t expect a response back. At least not one until I get back on the ship. Only one more day left, and most of that will be spent getting provisions.

Xxxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: NyotaUM;
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 01/01/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for being a friend
I am also happy you guys are several thousand light-years away from that man. I think there might be a plan in place to get the sister-in-law very far away from earth. I believe it involves her taking the Vulcan bar exam. They do need lawyers here. She grew up in Georgia, so she can deal with the extreme heat.

Yep, our kids are way too clever to get anything past. We had to have multiple family meetings. Initially, we only confirmed that Chris 3 was getting kicked off the ship. Then because the Admiral decided to let the grandkids shadow us on the 30th (today), we had to tell him everything. We just knew Peter would overhear something watching Chen and Kevin throughout the day. He hates Chris 3 now, and he is thrilled they were never friends.

I got Spock’s sister for Take Your Child to Work day. I adore my baby sister-in-law. We had fun talking behind everybody’s back in Vulcan. Our aid from the ambassador’s office found it amusing in a Vulcan way. I think I got myself some brownie points for my language skills. Thank you for that.

Your kid is with the father-in-law, and I'm still waiting for a read-out. Ashley is with Spock. He's a happy Vulcan because all his meetings are at the VSA with the science people. This is like the one day of meetings he’s been looking forward to. It helps there are significantly fewer Vulcan supremacists asses there currently compared to when Spock applied. I could actually feel him happy all day. It was kind of nice.

Although that happiness will go away because we will tell the kids about the Elder being sick. He’s joining us for dinner, and we’re going to tell the kids together tonight. Since the Elder will be staying on Enterprise for a couple of days while your husband runs some tests, it seems prudent to tell them the truth. Or at least he’s not well, and we are getting a second opinion. We’re not going to mention the T-word yet. I’m kind of hoping Bones can pull offwork a miracle. Maybe at a minimum, get us a little more time. The Elder was ready to give up, but I think mom put the fight back in him for the grandkids. I’m glad she did it.

I love your child so much for convincing them to no longer throw me a birthday party. I'm going to be getting her the best presents for life. I will have to sit through a Jim and Spock appreciation day, but I can deal with that. It might actually be crew appreciation day by the time it actually happens. We’re negotiating. I feel like the crew members who didn’t participate in an attempted coup deserve some cake.

I've placed a ridiculously large order at everybody's favorite Vulcan bakery. We had to put in orders at half the bakeries on the colony to get enough for everyone. They're not entirely used to parties for a few hundred people anymore. But everything will be ready. Plus, the treats for the secret stash. Yes, I got your lemon bars. Yes, those lemon bars. The father-in-law has the hookup.

This has probably been the best visit with my mom that I’ve had ever. No one got arrested. Nobody started crying uncontrollably. Well, because of her anyway. Nobody died. OK, somebody’s dying, but that’s not relevant to this. It’s all I can hope for.

I think Peter did help. As you mentioned last time, I can see things from Winona’s perspective that I couldn’t before. But I also think we want to be on our best behavior for him. You know how messed up his relationship was with his other family. We want to be better. I hope we get there, but I have my concerns.

Anyway, I don’t expect a response because this might get to you the day that we arrive back on ship. We’ll talk at the handover meeting.

Xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Doctor bones; NyotaUM
Subject: I’ll be home soon.
Time arrived: 01/01/2260 00:00:01

Hi mom and dad,

I’ll be home soon. There’s a 50-50 chance I might beat this email. Especially since it’s almost 8 o’clock here which means midnight on the ship. So that could mean the letter gets pushed to you on the second.
I did what you said, and I waited for Uncle Jim to come to us. Apparently, great-grandpa is sick. Very sick. I think it’s the not much time left type of sickness like with your dad. I barely remember him. I am hopeful this time maybe you’ll find something.

OK, no more sad things. Yesterday I got to dance in the rain at the cliffs. Yes, it does rain here. Not that much, but it was still enjoyable. It was also sweltering afterward, but I had so much fun. There is video.

Today was less fun. It’s Take Your Child to Work day, and I got to shadow grandpa. Being a government official is not fun. Neither is being on the Board of Directors of a University, especially one that’s trying to put itself back together again. Although I did get my tour of the Vulcan government. So, there’s that. I got to take pictures. They’re all attached.

I have more, but I’ll show you when I get home. I can’t wait to be somewhere climate-controlled again.
XXXX
January 1, 2261 12:23 PM
J: Theoretically, I think your letter did get here before you did. Are you on the ship yet?

J: OK, that’s a stupid question to ask since you won’t get this text message until you’re in range.

PK: I wouldn’t say it’s a stupid question, just something you should have realized. We’re here. We just beamed back 15 minutes ago, and we’re putting our luggage away.

PK: Well, I am. Uncle Jim and Spock have to go straight to the bridge. Jim just dumped the bags in the middle of the room. Otherwise, Josephine’s mom won’t get any real baby time.

J: I feel like baby time is more important. I’m glad your uncles realize that.

PK: Besides, they really miss the ship. They don’t like all the meetings either. They will never ever do another working vacation.

J: That seems reasonable. Although your Uncle Spock, by virtue of being Vulcan, seems like someone who would love analytical meetings.

PK: Not ones that are a waste of everybody’s time. He felt like most of the meetings he attended while on New Vulcan were just that. They should all have been done by email.

PK: Considering the meetings I attended with the Admiral, I agree with that assessment.

J: That bad?

PK: Yes, even the family meeting where they told me my great grandfather is sick was preferable.

 

J: That’s not good. How sick?

PK: Very sick. He came with us so Josephine’s dad could give him a physical. I think they’re hoping that he can pull off a miracle.

J: Maybe he can. He's an excellent doctor. Rumor has it he saved your uncle from radiation poisoning.

PK: He couldn’t save my mom.

PK: Also, I have to ask somebody to elaborate on that story.

J: But he did save other people. And I know you feel like that’s unfair.

PK: Some days, I do.

J: Also, the situation is different than your mom's. That was essentially a freak accident. The Elder has lived a full life. Isn’t he like 150 or something. That’s really old.

PK: That’s middle-aged by Vulcan standards. Well before the genocide, anyway. He’s actually one of the oldest ones left.

J: Maybe Josephine’s father can pull off a miracle, but if not, then we just have to make sure we preserve his knowledge and experiences. That’s something Vulcans do? I think I remember reading something that your uncle manage to preserve the records. Or whatever it is.

PK: Katra arc. I’ve actually been studying about that. Do you remember Gina gave Josephine and me a project where we were supposed to compare the two versions of Vulcan history? We decided to go with the genocide.

J: I worry about you guys sometimes. Why did you choose that? I never want to think about that day again. At least I didn’t have to deal with what my girlfriend did.

PK: We have first-person sources to verify both versions, and I have already found a lot of discrepancies between the various versions and first-person accounts.

J: OK, good choice, but maybe don’t tell the Ashleys at all.

PK: Point.

PK: You guys can come over. I have gifts for everyone.

J: we will come by in a little bit. There is no rush. You’ve had a long trip, plus there is still a party tonight.

PK: Point
XXXX

Nyota: You landed on the ship like 20 minutes ago, and you’re not on the bridge yet? Did you decide to actually drop your things off first?

Jim: Yes, actually. I also had the show the guests to their room for the night. Plus, Spock is dropping off the Elder to medical. Bones wants to begin his exams right away.

Nyota: Yep, that’s my boyfriend.

Jim: Josephine is with them, so she can at least hug her dad before he has to get to work.

Nyota: That’s kind of sweet. Spock better get me pictures of that.

Jim: He knows to.

Jim: I know you want to see Josephine too. I promise we are on our way.

Nyota: You and the husband?

Jim: Me and my brother, Winona, and Liz. Since all are actually Starfleet, I can bring them to the bridge. They’re in uniform and everything.

Nyota: Your mom is in a Starfleet uniform?

Jim: Yes, and she’s very unhappy about it. However, it’s the contractor’s uniform, so she’s a little less upset. Although, I will have to get somebody to take her down to engineering after this. Ashley 3 volunteered to go with her, but I need an actual adult.

Nyota: I’ll find somebody.

Jim: Thank you

XXXX

Baby girl: Hey mom, I just want to tell you that Uncle Spock dropped me off at home. I wanted to keep the babies with me, but their grandma needed to show them off to some of her friends on the ship.

Nyota: I’m on my way. I couldn’t leave until Jim was done showing the family the bridge. Winona took pictures. She was very proud.

Baby girl: That’s good.
XXXX
As soon as Josephine hit the send button, the door to their quarters opened, and she saw her mom walk through.

“You’re here,” Josephine exclaimed.

“I told you I was on my way. I also brought Liz with me.” Liz walked through the door leading two toddlers who were still getting the handle of walking as she said this.

“And I managed to get the babies away from my mom,” Liz commented as baby K ran to her.
.
“Mostly because she was going down to engineering with Winona.”

“Did you warn them to cover up the distillery?” Josephine asked. “I don’t think Scotty would want to get in trouble when he’s not even on the ship.”

“They both know. I don’t think there are many ships in Starfleet without an illegal distillery in engineering. At least back in their day. Although most go the cannabis in botany route now.” Liz answered. Her mom looked annoyed.

“Remember, Nana Winona is an alcoholic. Maybe we shouldn’t send a recovering alcoholic into a brewery.” Josephine pointed out.

“I’ll send a quick message.” Her mom sighed. “They’re walking, so there’s a little time.”

“Wow, you did accumulate a lot of stuff on the planet.”

“Some of it might be in Uncle Spock’s rooms because they have more closet space. The toys are anyway.”

“Smart,” Liz added.

“Let me get a hug.” That’s when Josephine felt her mom wrap her arms around her.

“I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”
To be continued.

Chapter 147: Day 315: Now Returning to Normal-ish

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all so fabulous. This is the final daily update in-universe. I am glad to be skipping days again after this. We’ve been doing daily chapters since Day 290, AKA chapter 122. I’m also happy to be returning to chapters under 2000 words. I know you all love the 4000-word chapters, but I was exhausted.

Chapter Text

Midmorning January 2, 2261

Ashley 2.0: Hey, can I come over? Mom has night shifts this cycle, and it is hard to stay quiet all day. It’s also very boring.

Ashley 2.0: I never noticed this before because usually, we have classes when she’s on the night shift. She’s up and about by the time I get back.

JUM: Yeah, that’s hard. I think this is why mom and dad try to do their night rotations simultaneously. Although being a doctor, dad is used to sleeping in the middle of the day. It’s really hard to wake him up.

JUM: Of course, you can come over. You can bring Jay as well. Peter is already here. We’re working on finalizing our special project for Gina.

Ashley 2.0: I don’t want to be disruptive if you and Peter have homework. What did you decide to do anyway?

JUM: Something we can get the parents to verify our facts on, and let’s leave it at that.

Ashley 2.0: Obviously, the battle of Vulcan is a good choice because you have first-person sources. It’s what I would’ve gone with. I still have many questions, and I think the answers will only be in the Vulcan Archives.

JUM: Talk to Uncle Jim. He can probably convince Spock to give you access. See, I knew your boyfriend was overreacting when he told us not to tell you.

Ashley 2.0: He was just being sweet.

JUM: You should definitely come over. We will stop soon anyway because the great grandfather should be getting out of the med bay in 20 minutes. We were going to build the Lego Enterprise together. The bigger playset. But we can do something else.

Ashley 2.0: I definitely want to build the Lego Enterprise. So does J. I loved doing legos as a kid.

JUM: Well, that’s good because I’m still a kid.

Ashley 2.0: You’re a preteen, a very cool preteen who I feel is already a teenager psychologically. You’re a hell of a lot more mature than Chris three.

JUM: That’s not saying much. Some tribbles are more mature than Chris three.

Ashley 2.0: Tribbles are more useful. Rumor has it that your dad used one to save Jim’s life. Although he refuses to talk about that. I think it might be too classified to tell me instead of just too traumatic.

JUM: I think you’re right. I have to find out what happened to Uncle Jim during the Vengeance incident. I know he ended up in the hospital for weeks. Uncle Spock ended up with him because of their mental bond. It must’ve been bad because even Kevin won’t talk about what happened, and the incident made Winona decide to get clean for good.

Ashley 2.0: Rumor has it he was clinically dead, not heart stopped for 10 seconds dead, but they had to put him in a cryo-chamber dead. Do we have cryo chambers? I definitely wasn’t going to ask Jim about that rumor. You don’t talk about some things with your support group mentor until they are ready to talk about them.

JUM: This definitely goes in the too classified to talk about category.

Ashley 2.0: You mean like the real reason our captain’s grandfather looks like his geriatric clone? It was really noticeable yesterday at the not a birthday party. I’m sure it’s a coincidence that they were both born on January 6.

JUM: I can’t answer your question in writing. I’m required to get you to sign an NDA if I ever do in person in one of the classified conference rooms. The whole fiasco involves red matter. Also, Back to the Future was wrong. Marvel was right.

Ashley 2.0: I’ll take that as variants are real. That totally explains why your uncle is having your dad take over the case of the Elder.

JUM: No, that would have been grandma Winona after making the Vulcan in question realize that maybe he shouldn’t give up just because this is his second life. Grandpa backed her up. She made him see he should at least try to be around as much as possible for us great-grandkids. That got through to the Elder. So, he’s at least checking with my dad to see if there’s something that the other doctor missed. They might be familiar with Vulcans, but my dad has had a master class on hybrids the last few years.

Ashley 2.0: This is true.

JUM: Ashley three’s Aunt Olivia is also helping.

Ashley 2.0: That makes sense. Also, I just want to say that Peter’s grandmother scares me.

JUM: She’s very protective of us kids. I think she’s making up for past mistakes.

Ashley 2.0: Since I know what those past mistakes are, I think she really does have a lot to make up for.

JUM: She made me another one of her grandbabies. It was nice to have another grandmother. It was a fun visit.

Ashley 2.0: I’m glad you had fun with the extended family. Have they already departed, or can I look forward to baby fun time?

JUM: Sorry, the babies departed the ship about an hour ago. I have a video of both the babies crying when they had to say goodbye to their daddy. It kind of broke my heart a little bit.

Ashley 2.0: They’ll see each other again at the wedding in six months. But yeah, as a lifelong Starfleet brat, this always sucked. Especially because you don’t know when it will be the last time.

Ashley 2.0: I didn’t even say goodbye to my dad for his last deployment. I was so mad at him. If mom can take a planet-based assignment to be with me, why couldn’t he? The last words I said to him were, I hate you.

JUM: Oh God. Did you get to write to him before the incident happened?

Ashley 2.0: No, Vulcan happened a few days later.

Ashley 2.0: Don’t tell me he knew I didn’t mean it because everybody has told me that. I don’t believe them.

JUM: I’m not going to.

Ashley 2.0: So when does your great grandfather return to the colony?

JUM: Tomorrow. He wants to leave before G day. He doesn’t want to stress out Uncle Jim too much since he knows it’s a bad day for him.

Ashley 2.0: It really is a bad day for him for several reasons. So, it’s good that he’s respecting that. The anniversary day is never good. I feel it won’t be that much better in 25 years.

JUM: I didn’t deal well with the day my mom wrapped her car around a tree. Especially because I was goofing off at Disney land of Georgia with my dad and new mommy when she wrapped her car around the tree. It feels like I have aged five years since then. I don’t expect things to get better.

Ashley 2.0: It was a little better the second year, but it will never be easy.

Ashley 2.0: I will get dressed as quietly as possible and be over in 30 minutes. Ashley three wants to come too. She just texted me.

JUM: Of course she did. You might as well invite Jacqueline and Ashley one. I’ll go replicate popcorn. That actually tastes like popcorn.

Ashley 2.0: Ashley one, Chris squared, and Reyes have formed their own little clique. I think someone managed to get the good lemon bars.

JUM: Not from us. We’ll see you soon.

XXX

Starfleet priority message from Commander Ling-Chen to Lieutenant Commander Sulu
Subject: We are safe aboard an undisclosed ship

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that we are safe on the ship. I can’t tell you what ship for operational security reasons, but know that we’re safe and everybody arrived in one piece.

Well, everybody but Kevin and Zoe. Kevin was beamed back to New Vulcan to wait for Discovery to pick him up in a few days. I feel like he’s telling Jim’s father-in-law all the best stories. Zoe is getting ready for her new job at the VSA. She will stay with the ambassador until her apartment is ready.

I want to ask the Elder why he’s really grateful Kevin’s new ship hasn’t disappeared yet, but I’m afraid to ask.
I’m just going to accept this timeline might be better than we think it is. There are just some things you don’t want to know.

Anyway, I promised to send you another rapid message when we settled in Yorktown. Also, please tell you’re big bosses that we are all OK. We felt it was best just to send one email. Winona prefers to write messages that won’t get a response for at least two weeks. Considering the family dynamics This surprises no one. My sister is messaging her boyfriend.

PS: You should know that your sister is already trying to get Ben and me to sit down for more wedding planning. Are you sure you want us to do the rest of it without you?

PSS: She’s trying to get me to switch it into a Poly ceremony. I love you both in different ways, but I’m not marrying either of you. You’re too high maintenance. We have children together; that's enough. Some people are not marriage people, and that’s me. However, I’m still committed to being your best person.

XXXXX
Starfleet priority message from Lieutenant Commander Sulu to Commander Ling-Chen
Subject: Re: We are safe aboard an undisclosed ship
And you will be the absolute best person I can dream of. You and I made a ton of decisions while you were on the ship. You know what I like and can represent me. Also, it will be easier for you to communicate with the big sister from Yorktown. You can do real-time videoconferences without getting special permission from your captain. So you and Ben should take point on this until the wedding. Please keep her from doing something stupid like shipping a hundred white doves to Yorktown.

I’ve realized not to ask questions when it comes to the Elder. I think it’s good that he’s leaving tomorrow after Leonard meets with his medical team, or Leonard is going down to meet with his medical team. I don’t know the details. Actually, I don’t want to know the details.

I really miss all of you already, and it’s only been a few hours. These two months with you on the ship have been great. We definitely are going to have to serve together at some point. I think we’ll get another opportunity. The Hamilton wasn’t the right fit for us.

Nyota isn’t a marriagemarried person either, probably because of her parents' bad example. But she is 1000% committed to Josephine, and that’s what matters.

Anyway, I’m expecting lots of pictures. Also, Yorktown means more frequent emails, at least. Possibly a video chat or two might be possible. Anyway, I love you guys so much. I’ll talk to you soon.

PS: I’m not expecting a rapid reply. Go have fun with the babies.

To be continued…

Chapter 148: Day 317: Letters to My Parents

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are all great. Yay, we got to skip a day again. However, it is January 4. This is a very tough day for Jim for a lot of reasons.

Chapter Text

Dear Dad:
Hey, it’s been a while. I think the last letter was in August 2259. It’s now January 2261. A lot has happened in the last 17 months.

We did successfully start our five-year mission. Spock is a great captain, and I really enjoyed the chance to be a first officer. I learned many important skills that will help me if I ever become a captain again. We agreed to rotate for the next assignment, but we might do something different. We’re talking about it. Recently, there was an incident that caused us to reassess our 10-year plan.

There has been a lot of exploring and star mapping this last year. Exploring new planets is fun sometimes. Other times I end up with rashes. Right now, we are studying the New Vulcan system. They decided to put a colony here without getting all the data necessary. However, it doesn’t look like any stars will go supernova anytime soon. So it seems like they didn’t screw up too badly. Although we’re going to start visiting the moons and other planets in the system soon so who knows what we’ll find out.

Last time I told you that you probably wouldn’t be getting any biological grandchildren. Turns out you already had one. Not me though.

So before the Tarsus fuck up, Sam got Arlene pregnant. Then he went off to die. That seems to be a bit of a family trait. I’m planning not to do that with my kids. I’m going to take after Winona and adopt a bunch of children who need me. Although I plan to be a bit soberer.

Anyway, your grandson’s name is Peter, and he’s a very precocious preteen. Peter loves Legos, Batwoman, and quality lab time with Spock. He plans to go to the Vulcan Science Academy, which will make his grandfather really, really happy. You know the one that’s not dead.

Remember last time I said I was letting go of the bitterness after my near-death experience. Being a dad has brought some of that back. I know it’s hypocritical to be angry because I’m still in Starfleet even though I have a kid, and it could get me killed. Technically it already has, but I got better.

You probably remember that from the last letter. Although since then, there was another assassination attempt. It was supposed to be against Spock, but I’m sure they were planning to take me out first. That’s the only logical way they would have succeeded, but this group was not logical at all.

You’re probably wondering why you are just finding out about Peter now. Arlene didn’t tell us, not even when she showed up at the house to help me get everything ready for Kevin and Winona when they came back from hell. She was going to tell us after the Vengeance incident, but Winona was in rehab the last time she stopped by.

Anyway, this summer, we had a mission where we responded to a distress call of a nearby research colony. There was a parasite, and it killed a lot of people. That’s pretty remarkable for something that looked straight out of a B-rated 20th-century science fiction movie. Anyway, Arlene was one of the people who died. That’s when I found out I have a nephew. On her deathbed, she asked me to take care of Peter. She already had that in her will, but Arlene always liked to be prepared.

Spock and I are taking care of Peter. He lives with us on ship. He’s our baby, and we love him very much. Peter just spent a couple of weeks with his grandfather on New Vulcan without us, and it was torture. When he leaves us to go to college, it will be miserable. I expect Spock to be sending emails every day. We are going to be those parents.

I think I’m doing OK with this father-ish-hood thing. Peter calls me Uncle Jim 80% of the time now, so that’s progress. I also understand why he was afraid. He’s lost family before. He’s like me. He lost his dad before he was born and then lost his mom. Before that, Peter lost his aunt because the evil grandparents killed her for being a lesbian. Yes, that actually happened. It was a mess and left Peter traumatized.

I like being a father more than being in Starfleet. For the moment, Spock and I can do both. But I think if we’re ever made to choose, we’re going to choose Peter. Besides, the husband does want to settle down on New Vulcan eventually. Our time there showed me that, yes, I can survive long-term. Although I’m getting the self-cooling underwear. I wonder how my mother-in-law survived for decades on the original Vulcan. Apparently, the colony is almost temperate by comparison.

Let me give you an update on mom. She’s doing really good this year. Still sober. She’s also back at Starfleet as a contractor. She’s trying to fix a lot of things that the previous leadership completely screwed up. I think she’s a member of the section of Starfleet that doesn’t actually exist, but I’m not going to ask questions. It’s better that way. She moved to London. Admiral Nhi Pike is her neighbor. I think she is planning to help her with the babies. She said third times the charm. Although I feel like Kevin came out significantly more well-adjusted than I did. Winona says that’s all me.

You should also know that Kevin is engaged to Admiral Chen’s daughter. No, not because she’s pregnant. After her sister’s oopsie pregnancy, Liz became very vigilant about contraception.

Liz Simmons-Chen is just the most wonderful person in the world. I know that they’re going to be happy together. They just survived taking care of her sister’s daughter for the last 10 months. They can survive everything together, including six months apart.

Starfleet doesn’t allow engaged couples to do their semester at ship together. Baby brother will be alone on Discovery until June. I wish the Elder told us about the ship ‘disappearing’ in the other timeline before Kevin signed up. (He won’t give additional details.) But that didn’t happen in this timeline. I don’t know why that didn’t happen in this timeline, and I don’t think I want to know. Maybe certain things don’t happen here because of other choices. We get to create our own path.

Kevin’s fiancé is going to do an additional semester abroad on Yorktown. Technically she already has her time on a ship, but she wants to graduate closer to the same time Kevin does. That way, it will be easier for them to be assigned on the same ship. Although Admiral Chen says it’s good for them to spend these six months apart to make sure they can really make it as a Starfleet couple. Even with the tandem assignment priority, serving together is not always possible. I’m pretty sure I’m leaving Starfleet before Spock and I get separated again. I really love my husband. He’s the best.

So that’s pretty much what’s happened during the last year and ½. OK, maybe I left out some important things like Liz’s sister getting kidnapped. I can’t write what went down with that even in a letter to a dead man. That whole thing was a fiasco. Also a few missions went hilariously bad. I got stranded in a cave but not with my husband.

My current therapist Margarita felt it would be good to write to you today. It’s been a rough few weeks. I found out a close friend and family member of my husband is very ill. They’re going to try a new treatment, but I don’t know if it’s going to help. So I’ve been thinking a lot about my own mortality. I’m not going to show my therapist the letter, but Spock will read it. I wrote it in our therapy journal in hard copy this year. So, I expect chocolates after this. He’s a good hubby.
XXXX
Dear James:
I’m glad that you see me as a good husband. We do have vegan chocolate chip cookies waiting for you. Peter made them for you last night. I also have a very relaxing massage planned. Peter will be spending the night with Josephine. So, we have time. I will give you anything you need tonight.
XXXX
Dear Spock:
You really are the best husband. I love you so very much. I will join you in our bedroom as soon as I send a rapid message to mom. I feel like I need to keep the tradition of contacting her on my legal birth day.

XXXX

Starfleet priority message for Commander Winona Kirk Ret. from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
Hi mom:

I thought I would carry on my birth day tradition of contacting you today. I am sorry a call isn’t possible. I don’t exactly know what ship you’re on right now, so I thought a rapid message would be easier.

I heard through Sulu that you guys made it to the ship OK, and you’re on your way to Yorktown. I would ask if there were any stops along the way, but it is best I don’t about what the big boss is doing. Besides, the surprise inspections are probably a good thing.

I just wanted to let you know that it was great to see you. I’m glad that we could have a good visit, and nobody ended up in tears. Well, because of each other anyway.

Also, thank you for being there for me when I started to freak out over the Elder. I appreciate you kicking his ass and getting him to get a second opinion. Leonard has some treatment ideas that might give him more time, but it’s not a cure. But on a day like today, I realize every minute counts. If we can get five more minutes with the Elder, then it’s worth it. So, thank you for smacking him upside the head, possibly literally. Neither the Elder nor Kevin will tell me what really happened. (I know better than to ask my father-in-law or Liz.) It’s probably best I don’t know.

Anyway, write back when you get to Yorktown. I don’t expect a response today. I know today is not a good day for you. You lost your husband and got me. I understand there are probably a lot of hard emotions that are tied all together with that. Which is why we always celebrated my birthday in March. You wanted to celebrate what we could’ve had, not what actually happened.

However, I think celebrating on Spock’s birthday works better for me now. It’s close to my legal date of birth that most people just assume we’re doing a combined party for simplicity and not because of my trauma. We haven’t had the heart to tell people Vulcans don’t really celebrate birthdays. Although that’s probably because they don’t get a day off. They really adapted to Christmas.

I hope you have a good rest of your visit with the kids and you do well with the Admiral. It seems like you guys are friends. You got along better than you did with Ben’s former mother-in-law. Which is good because you’re going to be in-laws with Chen. Thank you for not freaking out about the impending nuptials. Anyway, I’ll see you in a few months. I know you’re coming to the Sulu wedding because you will be standing in for Ben’s parents. Which I find adorable. Anyway, I love you, and I hope to hear from you soon.

To be continued…

Chapter 149: Day 319: Brothers

Notes:

Thank you again to everybody who has read or reviewed the last section. You are all wonderful. I almost considered ending the story with the previous chapter and flashing forward to the wedding as the epilogue. However, I wanted to see a little bit of everybody’s life in their new assignments. We also have the Pike babies to be born. So we are going until the wedding. But there’s probably going to be more gaps between letters. Everybody is a lot more spread out now and busy working.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 01/06/2260 00:00:01
Subject: I am once again home on New Vulcan

I just wanted to write an email to let you know I am back home after my time on Enterprise. I did indeed enjoy my three days on board. She is always a beautiful ship.

I always knew Doctor McCoy was a very competent physician. I am relieved to find that it is a universal constant. I hope you and my counterpart enjoyed your time on the colony. I hope you’re able to visit again. It was a pleasure seeing you and the children.

I have a meeting tomorrow with my medical team. They will review the treatment strategy developed by Doctor McCoy. I will keep you abreast of our progress.

XXXX
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Cadet Kevin Kirk

Hey, Big Brother, greetings and birthday wishes from Discovery. I got permission from my supervisor to send you an I’m OK and safe message. Although regular communications from now on outside of a legitimate emergency.

I’m already dealing with people talking shit about me because I’m a legacy baby. (I’m trying to decide what’s worse, the people who don’t realize I’m not George Kirk’s son or the people who read and believe that bullshit tell-all book. I can’t wait to sue the hell out of your grandmother.) Let’s not add special communications privileges to the list. Although my roommates think I got this cushy assignment because I am fucking the admiral herself. That is just so very creepy. Anyway please write back the regular way.

Also, if you could let Liz know I’m adjusting to life without her, that would be great. I’ll send her a letter the old-fashioned way, but I knew better than to contact her via rapid messaging. I would like to keep the nepotism comments to a minimum here. So far, I’ve just unpacked and don’t know quite what I’m doing yet. I assume that is a tomorrow problem.

Also, happy birthday to you and your husband. Your birthday presents are with Nyota. We didn’t give them to Spock because we felt like you would be more likely to find them if he had them.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 01/06/2260 12:23:01
Subject: Re: I am once again home on New Vulcan

Thanks for letting us know you got home safely. I’m glad Bones was able to find some things that your medical team can work with. Although having my Spock’s medical history for comparison probably helped him see some things they couldn’t. I hope it helps.

Peter and Josephine adore you. I got tons of text messages from your Lego playdates. I received some pictures from Ash as well. She is my mentee in our support group. I want you to spend as much time with the grandkids as possible because they need people. They’ve both dealt with a lot of heartbreak. They don’t need more. So please just try for them, if no one else. They need a great grandfather.

Thanks for not sending a priority message because it probably would have got here on G day. That’s mostly a day for me to write a therapy letter to George and call mom. Although it’s been a little hit or miss on that for the last few years. The George part, I usually always contact mom somehow. This year it was a rapid message to my mom, followed by eating lemon bars and vegan chocolate chip cookies with my husband. I promise no one mixed drugs. It wasn’t a bad way to spend January 4.

Today is my actual birthday as far as I’m concerned. I like sharing it with my husband, mainly because he makes sure no one really makes a big deal out of it. I know he’s not a birthday person. The only thing he ever did was get blueberry pancakes from Amanda.

The ambassador conspired with Peter, and we got breakfast in bed today with what I’ve been told are Amanda’s signature blueberry pancakes. It was one of the other recipes she could make really well. Spock says it tastes the same. So he is happy about that.

I would wish you a happy birthday, but I’m not sure you actually do birthdays either. Spock is warming up to it now that we share.
Although we're never going to be birthday party people.

I have too much trauma associated with birthdays. Frank did something on one of my birthdays that I don’t want to talk about. My actual date of birth birthday, not my March birthday. Although he did do something then too. That’s the other reason why I have moved to Spock’s day.

Anyway, I have attached pictures from this morning. There’s even one of Spock in a birthday hat with Peter. That’s my new PADD screensaver. I thought you would like it. Thank you for offering to keep us updated. We want to know what’s going on with you healthwise. Also, Peter says you can write to him and Josephine. They had a wonderful time with you.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Kevin KR
Time sent: 01/06/2261 22:34:01
Subject: Tell your roommate to get over themselves

Yes, baby brother, I let your girlfriend know that you’re safe. She said she would write to you herself. She also says they will talk shit about you no matter what. You might as well actually enjoy the perks of nepotism that they accuse you of using. I kind of agree with my future sister-in-law there.

They’re going to be assholes no matter what. You should know that, considering some of the things that went down at the Academy. I got a lot of it. Allegedly I’m only still a captain because my daddy died for me or because of my husband, who I’m only fucking to get ahead. I’m not even going to repeat what they accused me of doing with Pike. That was just creepy. The man was like a father to me. Just ignore them. They’re idiots.

So, I have pictures from today’s birthday festivities. We just did breakfast. Although I did get a cake. I definitely like this birthday sharing thing. I’m having my annual birthday drink with Bones later. Apparently, his sister-in-law sent him something really nice for Christmas that we will enjoy.

I want you to try your best while you’re on Discovery. Don’t think about what the others are saying because they don’t matter. They really don’t. Just do your best because I know you can. You were a great assistant to the admiral while on the colony. I deeply regret that you can never work for me because of the nepotism issue. I guess you got away with it with the admiral because you’re not married to Liz yet. But that will change.

So, I vote for eloping and then having a big ceremony after graduation. Although doing that means I won't get to see the wedding. I’m OK with that. Although you better consider live streaming the thing.

I know it will be hard to be away from Liz for six months. I have trouble being away from Spock for six days. However, I think the admiral’s right that it’s good for you to get used to this now. Also, this experience will help you decide if you never ever want to serve away from each other again. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to be away from Spock. We do dumb things when we’re away from each other for too long. It might be the psychic bond.

Anyway, have fun, and please be better behaved than the Enterprise interns. I’m so glad we just lost half of them. Although, we’re picking up more in February. Why? Anyway, it was good seeing you, and I can’t wait to see you again in June. Happy exploring

PS: Thank you for the vintage vinyl albums and actual hardcopy books. Spock and I love everything.
To be continued…

Notes:

So sadly, due to the format of this story, you won’t be seeing the emails between Liz and Kevin because neither person is on Enterprise. I know. That’s so sad. However, now Liz and Kevin will be sending separate emails to everybody, which will be fun.

Chapter 150: Day 221: Greetings from Yorktown

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last chapter. You are all so wonderful. We have more rapid messages in this section.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Cadet Elizabeth Chen
Subject: We are safe in Yorktown

Hey Jim, we arrived at Yorktown this morning. We got here a day earlier than we thought we would. There was only one surprise inspection, and it only lasted a day because we didn’t uncover vast amounts of fuckery. That’s always good.

I’m sending pictures of my new apartment the normal way. I’m by myself with a guest room for the babies when it becomes too much for mom and dad. I’m very grateful I didn’t end up bunking with Ben’s former mother-in-law like proposed initially. Ben and Sue are sharing an apartment. They have separate rooms, which makes sense since it’s a sibling spouse situation. (Don’t mention the M-word around my sister.) You’re also getting pictures of their four-bedroom apartment. You’ll probably get them in three or four days.

Theoretically, messages from Yorktown should get to Enterprise about 50% faster than they did from Earth. So, expect to hear more from me, especially since my boyfriend is far away. It’s going to be a long six months. I think it’s ridiculous that I’m banned from instant messaging him. I’m tempted to ask you to pass on an “I’m safe” message. However, I remember what you told me last time. This annoys me because, again, they’re going to think whatever they want to think. Nothing we can do will ever change that, so why try.

This is getting long for something that is supposed to be a “hi, I’m safe” message. I think Sue is messaging the not a boyfriend separately. Or maybe it’s the fiancé’s turn. Just in case, let Sulu know we’re safe, and the kids miss him so much. I dealt with an hour of crying when we left Enterprise.

Please write back. I need something to keep me entertained. I feel like this is going to be a boring semester abroad.

XXXX
Starfleet priority message for Lieutenant Commander Sulu from Dr. Benjamin J. Sulu

Subject: Greetings from Yorktown
Hi sweetie. Sue has decided it was my turn to send you the “we have arrived safely” message. We arrived at Yorktown and are almost settled into our apartment. It came fully furnished. I think it might be a little too nice for a house with two toddlers. It’s newer than the other Starfleet housing. We are also going to have to baby-proof the place—too many sharp edges.

It only feels slightly strange to live in the middle of a space station floating upon nothing. Maybe we’ll get used to it after a little while. Anyway, we both miss you. We’re sending lots of pictures.

Don’t worry about letting your boss know. Liz wrote him separately. She should be messaging her boyfriend, but Liz won’t message Kevin because he’s worried about nepotism accusations. Because she’s not messaging him, the Admiral is doing it for her, probably making things worse. We can’t wait to hear from you although regular messages are OK.

PS: Also, don’t forget to write to the babies. Katie bear might be able to dictate a response now.
XXXX
From: Spock's_cuddlebunny
To: Elizabeth_Chen
time sent: 01/08/2261 19:43:01
Subject: Congratulations on arriving at Yorktown without strangling anybody.
I’m glad to know that you have arrived at the Starbase completely intact. Congratulations on not sharing an apartment with your sister. I don’t think Starfleet can handle it. Kevin told me stories. I’m pretty sure your mom is putting Ben’s mom in non-Starfleet housing for everybody’s sanity. Technically, Ben should’ve been there as well as a contractor, but Starfleet recognizes them as a family unit. Per Nyota, kids are more legally binding than marriage for Starfleet assignment purposes.

I hope you have a few days to settle before starting your assignment. It was kind of hard going straight back to my regular duties after diplomatic ass-kissing on New Vulcan for a week and a half. Running straight into the birthdays didn’t help. Thankfully, Nyota’s email prevented most people from wishing me a happy birthday on January 4. January 6 went much better. I like my joint birthday with my husband. You’re getting pictures from our birthday breakfast.

We’re actually going to get some boots on the ground soon. Granted, it’s taking soil samples from New Vulcan’s closest neighbor NV 748G6, but the hubby is happy because he can go down with them. Spock and the new head of science have reached an understanding. Also, it just made sense for Spock to be on the team since it will be filled with Vulcan Science Academy members.

Of course, Spock will be staying on the planet for a few nights. I’m hopeful Peter will be better with that now after visiting his grandfather. We had no emergency messages begging for him to be transported back to the ship. So that’s progress, right?

I did talk to Sulu, and the fiancé did rapid message him. You were right about that. Also, because you elected not to message your boyfriend, your mom did it instead. I bet that’s going to go over well with the assholes. I thought I did better at teaching Kevin not to give a fuck. Obviously, I failed.

Thank you for the birthday presents. You guys didn’t have to, especially because you just brought us a bunch of stuff for Christmas, but I love the books. I have no idea who got what because all the cards fell off, but we love it all the same. Spock is having fun reading a bunch of books that managed to get banned in the 21st century. He’s very curious about why a graphic novel that frames the Holocaust from the perspective of mice was banned. I just told him that humans were assholes and enjoy whitewashing their history as much as Vulcans do. (Next time you write one of the kids, ask them for a copy of their report on the “official” history of the Battle of Vulcan.)

I want to know who was responsible for getting me a vinyl copy of Paul’s Boutique? I need to send them a personal email of extreme thanks. I only had that on digital, not classic vinyl. It was the only one missing from my collection. Spock thinks it might be an original 20th-century pressing, which probably costs a small fortune. I’m too afraid to actually play it, but I love it. I’m going to have it framed and put up in our quarters.

You know I want you to write as much as possible. I want all the best gossip from Yorktown. Spock and I have been thinking of doing a non-ship assignment after the five-year mission. Of course, the first choice is New Vulcan, especially if Peter gets into the VSA. However, we may want to try out space station life first. New Vulcan feels more like a retirement assignment. I think we have a few more Starfleet years in us. Although maybe less if we keep doing things like collecting soil samples from desolate planets and moons.
XXXX
From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: Congratulations on not living with your mother-in-law
time sent: 01/08/2261 21:45:21

I’m so happy to hear from you this time. I’m glad you’re getting settled into the new apartment. Although sorry, it’s all Starfleet furniture with sharp edges. I thought your old place was cute, but I’m sure all the housing in Yorktown is very stylized. I’m glad that they decided you could go straight to Yorktown and not have to spend a couple of months on New Vulcan doing training.

How is your mother-in-law settling in? Jim said that Liz has her own apartment and is very grateful for it. I thought they were going to be sharing an apartment? Although with her tendency to micromanage the babies, I’m hoping that she’s on the other side of the Starbase.

Work has been interesting. I’m going to get to do plant life samples soon. Unfortunately, we’re visiting a moon first tomorrow. I don’t think there will be any plants there, but then we’re going to visit all the other planets in the New Vulcan system over the next few weeks. We think at least one more might be suitable for life. I think that means I’ll get to sample the local planet life. You know that’s my favorite part

Anyway, I can’t wait to see the pictures. I hope you guys do well in Yorktown. I miss you both. The next part is for the babies.

XXXX
Dear Katie Bear and Baby D:

I think this is the first time I’ve written to both of you, but K get used to this. You’re my little girl too. I miss you both. It was really great to spend time with you. You’re both so big now. Katie Bear, you practically talk in full sentences. Your daddy thinks you might be able to send me a response. The ambassador was trying to teach you all sorts of fun Vulcan words. Well, not too much fun. Aunt Nyota is the one that will teach you all the curse words in different languages. Although not until you’re a teenager. You didn’t get to spend as much time with her because she had to work on the ship. But she loved every minute with you guys.

I’m glad we got to spend time together on New Vulcan. It was so nice to do the holidays as a family. You guys really enjoyed wrecking those gingerbread houses. I may have a hard copy of that photo on my console. That way, I can look at it when I’m working.

Anyway, I love you guys. Take care of mommy and daddy. I will see you girls this summer for the wedding. You two are going to make the cutest flower girls together. Although one of you gets to carry the rings. K, I think that’s you because your little sister still likes to put everything in her mouth. Rings are not food.

To be continued...

Notes:

Please note, that I will not be updating this story for four weeks instead of the normal two. I am visiting my parents in two weeks, and I will be busy with them. Normally I would just upload the chapter afterward, but I only have one more chapter ready to go after this one. I hope to work on new chapters this week, but I'm not sure how far I will get with having to do other things like packing. The extra two weeks will give me more time to work on the next batch of chapters.

Chapter 151: Day 324: How are you really doing?

Notes:

Thank you to everybody that read or reviewed the last chapter. You are so wonderful.

I’m sorry this chapter is coming even later than I said it would. After visiting with family, I ended up with another blood clot. Don’t worry this was in a superficial vein, so not as dangerous. However, it does mean less time to write because I can’t sit at my desk as much as I want to. I am working on the next batch of chapters, but I can use your encouragement to get as many done as possible.

Chapter Text

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 1/11/2260 00:00:01
Subject: It was lovely to see you

I just wanted to check in to see how you're doing. It was great having you and the kids here for a few weeks. I'm sorry the visit didn't go how you thought it would. In the long run, it's best that these things come out now.

Thank you for my surprise. I absolutely adore getting to spend time with my niece. I meant to tell you that at dinner, but we had other things to discuss. I do miss all my nieces and the rest of the family I'm still on speaking terms with. Letters and video calls aren't the same.

I can't believe she kept it a secret from me that she was not only coming for a visit but also taking a new job. I really hope she does well at Yorktown. She will be working in the same building as Ben but in different sections. He is in pediatrics, and she's in psychology. It's a small medical center, so they'll probably see each other.

How are you adjusting to life back on the ship? I'm sure you have a lot of stuff to deal with, considering the situation discovered while you were down here. That's all been settled, right? How are the kids handling the fact that one of their classmates was involved? I'm sure that had to be hard to process.

Just so you know, I'm going to try to have tea once a week with the Elder. I want to keep an eye on the old Vulcan. I also want him to realize that he has friends and doesn't have to go through this alone. It's why I forced him to have drinks with me today on his birthday. I wasn't going to let him spend his birthday alone.

That was a fascinating chat over the good tea. Did you know that the Elder wasn't planning to tell anybody he was sick? From our conversation, I don't think he would've told you if you didn't show up to the colony. He didn't want to burden you with something like that over email. So, we should all be thankful that Adm. Chen and the ambassador conspired to get everybody together for the holidays. Yay grandchildren.

I think the grandkids are also why the Elder is willing to try something different with his medical team. We can all be grateful for that. They’re all very engaging and I’m sure he wants to get to know them better.

How did your birthday go today? Did you get my present? It was a copy of Paul's Boutique. It was my late wife's. She was always planning to give it to you once she was sure you were old enough not to break it. Unfortunately, it got stuck in a box for a while. Thankfully, Kevin managed to find it when I had him go through my storage. Your brother is remarkable when it comes to finding things.

Anyway, I hope all is going well with work and the kids. I miss you and hope to see you again soon.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time sent: 1/11/2261 07:02:01
Subject: Re: It was lovely to see you
You were the one who gave me Paul's Boutique? There was an accident, and all the cards got lost. So, I had no idea who got what. Thank you so much. It was my favorite gift; I absolutely loved it. We got it framed. Actually, I’m going to get a bunch of my albums framed. Since I have everything digital, I don't need to keep playing the vinyls. I want to keep them intact. Especially the ones mom brought that belonged to Sam. They're all antiques.

I'm adjusting to being back at work. We are ridiculously busy with phase 2 of our system exploration project. We are now onto the boots-on-the-ground portion of our exploration of the New Vulcan system. I'm grateful that Nyota was in charge of the more boring scanning and sensoring part of the mission. OK, it wasn't that boring because she had to deal with a baby coup d'état. Better her than us.

We just wrapped up two days of soil samples on a nearby moon. We move on to the planet that it is orbiting. Spock is a happy Vulcan today because he will spend three whole days with the team collecting plant and soil samples. I personally do not feel the captain needs to be down on the planet for this. However, my husband needs to decompress after family time, and crewmembers trying to kill him just because he's only partially human. Thankfully, the new head of science agrees that we need to let Spock do science missions and not just diplomatic missions for everybody's sanity. I just went along with it because I'm that husband.

I'm hoping Peter does well with this overnight visit. Let's also hope Spock doesn't end up in med bay this time. I think Peter's time on New Vulcan without us was good for him. He's still my baby but not quite as clingy koala bear as before. So that's good. After telling him that someone was trying to kill us, I expected it to be worse. Although I'm still about 90% sure he will sleep in my bed tonight.

It's been rough for the kids. They're not surprised Chris three turned out to be not a good person. They say it's always the quiet ones. But maybe that's because they're more vulnerable to extremist ideas. He was a lonely kid that didn't fit in with the rest of the group. So, he was an easy target. Because he was a kid, Chris three wasn't being monitored the same way everyone else was so he could get away with more. Thankfully he said the wrong thing to Jay, and he told his girlfriend, who is my mentee. She knew to tell a responsible adult because I trained her well.

They're also worried about their great-grandfather. Yes, they know he's technically a variant, but he is still their great-grandfather to them. They would like for him to stay alive as much as possible.

No, I am not surprised that the Elder wasn't planning to tell anyone he was dying. The Spocks have a sharing things problem. This is peak Spock. For example, my husband didn't even tell me that he broke up with Nyota until I found out she was dating my BFF, and I accused her of cheating on him. He also covered up that he was kidnapped during our first trip to New Vulcan. This is also when he found that we were Vulcan married but didn't bother to tell me for several more months.

Let us not forget that he never bothered to tell me that he was actually reading my emails that I was never planning for him to read. We were married for two years before I learned about his first foster sister. I am aware I don't know everything about what happened with his half-brother. Most of what I do know came from my father-in-law. Spock is not a sharer by nature.

My husband is getting better at sharing because of therapy. It also helps that I can feel his emotions. So, it’s a little harder to hide things from me. Unfortunately, this is a two-way street, and that's how he figured out I was upset about the Elder.

We also read each other's journals a lot. It's easier for us to communicate in writing sometimes. The last two weeks have focused a lot on Amanda and reflections on mortality. Spock doesn't want to die and leave us alone, but he doesn't want us to leave him alone either. That's a problem with our different lifespans, but I promised him I would stay as healthy as possible. I agreed to Leonard's no-fun diet. It must really be love if I'm giving up doughnuts.

I'm so glad that we could surprise you with your niece. I would love to take credit for that, but that was all the admiral. At least the bringing her here part. I think she chose to go to Yorktown on her own. I'm sure young Dr. Suarez will do well there, although I'm sad I couldn't get her on the ship.

I'm requesting a third therapist, but even with Chen around, I'm not sure if they're actually going to give us what we need. The budget bastards are cheap as fuck. Why does our ship need three therapists? Maybe because everybody on this ship watched most of their friends die during the Battle of Vulcan. There may even be a few people on my ship that blamed the Vulcans for their friend's death and decided to take it out on my husband.

Sorry, I'm a little annoyed at the bureaucracy of it all. I now get to deal with a lot more bureaucratic bullshit because I'm the first officer. The paperwork is so ridiculous. God, I hate fucking paperwork. Spock said he would do it, but that's my job, and I will do it. Since my husband will be away for three days, it will give me something to do at night.

I should probably kiss my husband goodbye before he leaves on the mission. Anyway, thank you for keeping an eye on the Elder. We need all the help we can get with him. Of course, he originally wanted to die alone and not burden anybody. We are not letting that happen.
XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time sent: 1/11/2261 22:32:01
Subject: It's lonely without you. I miss you.

Hey, sweetie bear. How's it going on the planet? Are all the redshirts still alive? You look very hot in your exploration gear. Please don't touch anything that might kill you. Picture attached of the kids sleeping next to me. They decided that I shouldn't be alone tonight.

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time sent: 1/11/2261 23:32:01
Subject: Re: It's lonely without you. I miss you.
Yes, all the security team members we brought along are still alive, along with the rest of the research team. I have also yet to have a will ny allergic reactions to the local floors and fauna. However, please stay away from botany when Lieut. Sulu brings the samples up.

It is good that we are on the ground because our scans were missing things. It looks like the planet has a very extensive tunnel system. It doesn't seem to be naturally occurring but digging out by something. We think the local wildlife might be responsible. However, we have not run into any animals yet.

Thank you for sending me the image of you and Peter together. I'm trying to find an adjective other than adorable to describe it. Despite my extensive vocabulary, I am unable to. I would ask you how the ship is going, but I'm sure you sent me a work message regarding that. Theoretically, this is still supposed to be a local message. You should get this message tonight.

To be continued

Chapter 152: Day 326: Greetings from the New Vulcan International School

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely fabulous. I appreciate all the feedback and kudos. I genuinely enjoy it and treasure every bit of encouragement.

So, we are at the start of a new batch of chapters. This is the time when I need your encouragement the most. Mainly because I wasn’t able to bank as many chapters as I wanted to before I started posting. I had another health episode that limited my writing time again. This means that I am still working on new chapters.
This was also a tough week for us as a fandom since we lost Nichelle Nichols this week. I didn't have the energy to work on new chapters last weekend because of that.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: Peter_K
Time arrived: 1/13/2260 00:00:01
Subject: My New School Is Significantly Less Horrible

Greetings from the New Vulcan International School. I usually video call you; however, my new English teacher believes in the importance of writing written communication. So, I am planning to write to you, Josephine, and my foster brother quite often to satisfy the curriculum needs. I may also write to my brother-in-law’s family. I found them all intriguing. I am interested in joining Starfleet at some point and would like to know more. I feel like Winona Kirk will give me a more accurate description of the organization as a whole compared to other individuals.

I am adapting adequately to my new educational experience. Although I am grateful for the time spent with your classmates to help me acclimate to having an actual instructor and positive peer interactions. That has lessened the culture shock I experienced on my first day of classes. I at least had a frame of reference. That was quite beneficial.

Technically, I had an instructor before, but she merely watched over the class and rarely did an adequate job at that. She completely ignored anything that happened to me. Actually, I think she encouraged it. My new instructor Mr. Madison is significantly better in this regard. He had zero tolerance for those that said inappropriate things about my heritage. Although it is less than in the traditional Vulcan school system, I have dealt with some unacceptable comments from classmates due to my Romulan ancestry. Predominantly from classmates who lost family members during the actual battle of Vulcan. This was a factor in my treatment previously because every student in the traditional system lost somebody during the Battle of Vulcan. They felt that justified my harsh treatment even though I lost people too. In contrast, only a small percentage of international school students experienced similar losses. This is a preferable environment for me.

Have classes already resumed for you on Enterprise? Have you turned in your winter history project yet? Are you going to send me a copy? I really would like to review what you learned about the incident. I feel that the official version of events is highly selective and framed in a way to make us look better than what we actually are. Mistakes were made on all sides. Of course, that is obvious, but I am well aware that Vulcan society rarely admits or acknowledges their faults.

Let your friends know I miss all of them. I probably will write at least Ashley three at some point. I have to write a letter every 2 to 3 days, so there probably will be a lot of correspondence with everyone. But I think that would be good. Also, this is a much more practical way to practice writing and interpersonal skills. I much prefer writing actual letters to writing in a journal. Primarily because these are not graded for grammar only for participation. Although he could always have an AI grade us.

I am grateful for this assignment because I miss all of you and wish you could come back and maybe even stay for a couple of months. I know it is something my foster father wants as well. He misses you and Spock terribly. My starting a new school has been a perfect distraction.

I have been informed that we will see each other this summer. The ambassador has agreed to help set up the new Embassy at Yorktown this summer. It will be a three-month detail to the Starbase coinciding with the “summer” break of the international school. I wonder if this is a test run to see how I would do if my foster parent were an active member of the foreign ministry again.

I know he enjoys his work with the Vulcan Science Academy. He is also glad that he can rebuild the organization in a way that makes it a less bigoted institution than it was pre-battle of Vulcan. However, I think he wants something more challenging and misses being out in the greater Galaxy. Or maybe he is still worried I’m not getting everything I need from school, and he needs to consider other options. I may not get everything I need, but the current experience is still better than what happened previously.

Anyway, please write back when you have a chance. I always appreciate our interactions. They are usually the highlight of my month. I look forward to additional correspondence.
Xxxx
From: Peter_K
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
Time sent: 1/13/2260 07:07:01
Subject: Yes, classes have resumed, and I'm not happy about it

Classes were so much more fun on New Vulcan. There is only so much you can do in a classroom on board the starship. It gets really dull, and it's made worse by the fact you know there are more exciting things going on, like the expiration of the new Vulcan solar system. Instead, I am stuck in class writing research papers.

Unfortunately, not all of them can be as interesting as the great battle of Vulcan history project. Yes, we have turned in the assignment, but we are still waiting on our grades. It was a very intense report. You're right; we uncovered many things that did not paint the Vulcan government in the best light. Starfleet made even more mistakes. As a precaution, Uncle Spock made my teacher sign an NDA. My uncle is very pragmatic.

 

I’ll check with Uncle Spock to see if I can send you a copy. Although that’s probably gonna have to wait until after he reads the final version. We may have kept some more sensitive things out of the version I let him proofread before submitting. I didn't want him to not let us submit it to Gina. I might not be able to send it to you, but I'm pretty sure I can send it to grandpa because he has the proper security clearance.

I'm so glad you'll write to us more often. I love your video calls, but I also love the letters I get from everyone else. So I’m happy to be getting letters from you.

I wouldn't mind a class assignment where I had to write to people. Especially to people I like since I’m already doing it anyway. I would love to get to email Liz during class hours. She's so wonderful.

Unfortunately, we’ve yet to receive an assignment like that. Although now I’m going to suggest it to Gina. Normally I wouldn't volunteer to write more, but this seems more practical. Mainly because I doubt it would be that much more than what I do now. I prefer letters to journals as well. Dr. Margarita has me doing that. I’m already on my second therapy journal.

I'm glad you're doing better at the international school. I wish there weren't still hateful idiots, but at least there are fewer. That’s progress. I know you feel their anger at you is justified, but it's really not. You were a little kid when Vulcan was destroyed. You had nothing whatsoever to do with that. Just because you are the same species as the person who destroyed Vulcan doesn’t mean you should take all that guilt. You did nothing wrong. It wasn’t your fault. They need to work through their emotions and not blame them on you.

Did your previous school offer anybody counseling services? What about your new school? I feel like it might be pretty helpful for some of your classmates and maybe you too. Losing your parents is highly traumatic under normal circumstances like I went through. I couldn't imagine how much worse it would be if it happened while my entire planet was destroyed. I am already seeing Dr. Margarita twice a week.

I miss you as well. I’m glad we got to spend so much time together. It was fun. Bonus points for helping you prepare for your new school.

I also realize how much I miss living on a planet. I never thought I would miss the rain, but I do. I wonder how long it will be before I'm on a planet again. I'm not sure the Starbase we're going to in February is an actual planet. It might be a moon. I almost successfully talked Uncle Spock into taking me down to the current world we're exploring, but that's before we discovered that the tunnels were being created by Fraggle-like creatures. Pictures attached. I swear they look exactly like actual Fraggles. It’s a little creepy.

Josephine says I shouldn't be surprised that there is a planet of Fraggle-like creatures. There's an entire planet of people that look like kittens but with sharper claws. Actually, there are a few cat-like species. Uncle Jim went to the Academy with a set of Caitian twins. However, they are not the people who live on the planet close to Yorktown. They are the Teenaxi and are not on the best terms with the Federation right now. So I doubt we'll ever go there.

I just realized you probably have no frame of reference when I talk about Fraggles, so I have attached video files. They are puppets from a show from the 20th century revived a few decades later during the great pandemic. That was not a good time for anybody on Earth.

It's a good thing we're going to see each other this summer because obviously, I've neglected your Earth pop culture education. I will have to send you all sorts of things to learn more about. At the same time, you should send me more Vulcan pop culture things. We had our first Vulcan movie night when Uncle Spock returned from mission Fraggle yesterday. (Enterprise is still studying the planet, but no more boots on the ground to avoid prime directive issues.) Vulcan Shakespeare adaptations are fascinating, and I understood half of it without referencing the standard translation. Uncle Jim joked that I did better than him with the play in original Elizabethan English. Apparently, Earth languages have changed a lot in a few hundred years.

I’m sure the grandparents are scheming so that we get to see each other again, but I'm grateful for it. Before living with Uncle Jim and Spock, I wasn't around that many people my age. There were not any other kids on Devon. I was only there because mom had special permission as a single parent. There were plans to allow other families to be part of the colony in about another year. In hindsight, they made the right call.

I spoke to the Elder, and he told me that the incident that took my mom still happened in his time but a little later. I guess I’m just destined to be an orphan. I don't know who I lived with then, although I know it wasn't Uncle Jim. Let's just say he wasn't a stable married man there. Maybe my aunt wasn't dead in that timeline. Perhaps it's better not to know. I'm surprised the Elder told me that much. Maybe he just wanted me to know it was something that couldn't be prevented. I probably shouldn’t have typed this, but I trust you, and I'm sure if I wasn't supposed to, Uncle Jim's special software would delete it. So if that part of the letter makes no sense, I apologize.

I'll let Ashley 3 know that you might email her. Although I think Ashley 2 would love to hear from you as well. Actually, all the Ashley's like you. The only one who was mean to you was Chris three, who is long gone. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you again.

To be continued.

Notes:

Just to let you know, you probably won't see all of Saavik's emails to the good people of Enterprise. I really want to keep the story from being a billion words. We're already 30% of the way there and have a few more months to cover before the endpoint. This is also why you didn't see all of the cute emails between Jim and Spock, even though I'm sure you would have loved reading them all. Just know that they were adorable. Until they had to switch to work communications due to the Fraggle incident.

Chapter 153: Day 329: Family

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. You are all so wonderful. I genuinely do appreciate all the feedback. I could use it now as I continue working on new chapters.

Chapter Text

From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 01/16/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for writing
Thank you for your speedy reply. I assume the swift response results from you still being in the system. I also appreciate the pictures from your birthday celebration. I’m glad your family is doing well. It was a pleasure to spend time with the children. You are correct. I do want to spend as much time as possible with the children. I was foolish previously to think otherwise.

My medical team thanks Dr. McCoy for the additional data. I personally thank your husband for releasing his medical information to my team. With it, they are now willing to try several treatments previously viewed as ill-advised.

I am willing to acknowledge that I was reluctant to undergo any treatments previously. Yes, I felt that it was essential to help rebuild Vulcan. Simultaneously, I feel like I am living on borrowed time, that I should have died with Vulcan of old. I didn't realize that was the case until it was pointed out.

I think I felt that no one would care if I was no longer here. That I was just a superfluous Spock. All my ties to the world are people who care about me because I was someone else in another life. Combined with the grief that I have been trying to process, it was easy to become overwhelmed with a sense of being unnecessary and unneeded.

However, spending time with Peter and Josephine made me realize that yes, there are people who want me to stay alive and do need me not just because of who I was before but for who I am now. That makes me want to at least try to stay around as long as possible. So, thank you for that. At present, the medical team is hopeful. Or at least as hopeful as a primarily Vulcan medical team can be.

I assumed you're still in the system by your fast response, but I do not know that for sure. Unfortunately, I could not ask much about your current mission due to other pressing matters. I do regret that my health crisis overshadowed your time on New Vulcan.
Although I was able to get a few details from the Vulcan Science Academy members on board during my time in Dr. McCoy's sick bay. I know this assignment will continue through early February.” How are things going presently?

How are the children doing? Have classes begun again? Per my father, Saavik started her new school on January 3. Would it be acceptable for me to write to the children directly? Or do you wish that I limit contact until we are entirely confident of my medical prognosis? I will, of course, not reach out until I hear back from you.

I hope your work requirements will allow you to correspond regularly. I look forward to our communication.
xxx
From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_ Sarek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 01/16/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for your advice regarding Saavik’s schooling

I want to express my gratitude for your suggestion that Saavik attend the international school. So far, the experience has been a vast improvement. Her teachers are respectful and are interested in helping her reach her full potential. She enjoys positive interactions with her peers. In addition, I think the emphasis on group projects and group learning might be beneficial in the future. In the real world, you rarely work by yourself.

There are a few less than cordial classmates. Still, unlike in her previous learning institution, the incidents are addressed directly, and the administrators do not ignore the occurrences. In hindsight, I wish I had considered the international school for Spock as an adolescent. At the time, I felt it was best for Spock to receive a traditional Vulcan education. That forced Spock to be somebody he was not, which is why he chose to leave for Starfleet. I respect that decision now. I realize in hindsight that my children should receive the education they need, not what I perceive they need. I will endeavor to do better this time.

I am grateful that you allowed me to spend time with Peter. Thank you for this. I welcome more visits from him and from you and my son in the future. I do miss conversing with adults who are not condescending idiots. Unfortunately, I will be planet side for the next six months.

During Saavik’s winter break, I will be assisting with opening the embassy on Yorktown. It is our first new embassy since the genocide, and it was decided that I would be best suited to oversee the staffing and start of operations. This assignment will overlap with the Sulu wedding. I believe this will allow me another chance to visit with the children. More importantly, it will allow Saavik more time with her cousins.

When time allows, please send me additional images of Peter and Spock. As well as anecdotes about their day. I appreciate such correspondence.

Xxxxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 01/16/2261 22:15:01
Subject: Re: Thank you for writing

Of course, you can write to the children directly. Spock and I discussed it with Nyota and Bones, and they are all okay with it. I think the kids would appreciate it. I know I said I don't want the kids to lose more people, but you cutting them out of your life in an attempt to spare them pain is doing just that. It makes it worse because they're losing valuable time they could've spent with you. I don’t want them to lose that.

I don’t want you to cut them off on the chance that the treatment won’t work. Because you need people in your life. You need someone to fight for because otherwise, you'll just give up like you almost did before. I need you to fight as much as you can. That's what this is really about.

You were just letting go before. You passively accepted that you were terminally ill. You didn’t even want to get a second opinion. I think you only went to Bones to placate me. Even then, I believe you went along with it because I framed it as a way to keep my Honey Bear from developing the same condition. Yes, we're concerned about that, but you were our main concern.

Although my best friend, being who he is, has decided that we need to undergo lifestyle changes to ensure Spock is not dealing with heart failure in a century. We are both now on a brand new food and exercise plan. One would think being on a vegetarian near vegan diet is already enough, but somebody likes cheese a little too much. I blame all of Amanda's grilled cheeses as a child. It’s my Spock's go-to non-chocolate comfort food. Now that’s become a sometimes food.

I also regret that too much of our visit was overshadowed by your health issues. Not that I regret you telling us the truth because I'm glad you told us. I don't want you going through this alone. I just wish I had an opportunity to ask you some work-related questions. Although I seriously doubt you would have been willing to let us know anything you discovered when searching these planets the first time. Did you ever run into any creatures that kind of look like Fraggles?

Also, I am attaching pictures of Fraggles because I’m pretty sure my Spock only knows about them because of my 20th-century movie and TV fetish. I’m not sure you’ve been exposed to anywhere near as many movies and shows with my counterpart. He was a bit of a closed-off dick, from what I know. I still have residual dreams from the mind meld. I really want to punch him in the dick. Bless the universe for keeping me from grandma Kirk.

So obviously, we're still in the system, and it looks like we will be in it until mid-February. Maybe longer because we will have to spend a little extra time on our current planet to finish the necessary research. Mainly because we will have to do everything remotely until we figure out how to get samples without disturbing the locals. We need to do this because several plant species on the planet look similar to some lost Vulcan species, and we need to do genetic testing. So, the earlier scans were wrong, and the planet we are surveying wasn't as desolated as they thought. There actually is intelligent life there that looks like Muppets.

At this point in my Starfleet career, this shouldn't surprise me. This is not even the weirdest thing that's happened this year.

So good news. No red shirts got killed. Also, my husband came back uninjured. This was good because Spock and I want to be able to go on away missions without completely traumatizing Peter. If we come back with injuries too many times, Peter will never let us leave the ship without him again. I am still utterly shocked that he survived quality time with your father without begging us to bring him back to the ship. I'm surprised he didn't try to sleep in my room when Spock was on the planet. Maybe Peter is starting to settle with us?

Also, in other good news, the prime directive was not broken again. I'm trying to do better, especially considering things went FUBAR after the last incident and people died. Since Honey Bear wasn't in danger of dying this time, it was easier not to break the thing. Anyway, now we are focusing on learning as much as possible from a safe, non-interfering distance. That's all I can say for the moment.

You should know the kids want to see you again. They got an email from their cousin a couple of days ago letting them know that she will get to see them this summer while your father helps set up the new embassy at Yorktown. This feels like a setup because there have to be other people that can do that. As you’re aware, ambassadors were one of the jobs where people had the highest survival rate in the Vulcan diaspora. Let’s be honest, 10% of the current Vulcan population exists because they were members of the Vulcan ministry of foreign affairs. Although my father-in-law is one of the few that’s currently planet side and not an active ambassador. So he might be the best person to set up the new embassy before the new ambassador arrives.

Are you going with him? He didn’t mention anything about that possibility in his letter. Yes, he wrote me earlier today. I'm sure you're surprised by that because Honey Bear was also surprised. I think this temporary assignment on Yorktown is a dry run to see if a return to active duty is feasible. Just in case things don't work out at the international school. So far, it is going well. We will see how long that lasts.

Yes, the kids are back in school. They even received their grade on their “winter” break research project. Of course, they received A's. Spock probably should classify the thing, but the truth needs to be out there.

If you want to read a copy, it's attached. I'm not sure if it's something you would want to read. Anyway, more pictures from the kids. I'll send more when I can.
Xxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_ Sarek
Time sent: 01/16/2261 22:32:01
Subject: I’m always happy to help a sister-in-law out

No thanks are necessary. I just want my baby sister-in-law to have a better experience in school than I did. Before I switched to the private school, it was pretty much hell. It wasn't that much better afterward. However, I needed to be around Kevin, which meant not being at a boarding school elsewhere. I get all too well what it's like to be treated as different, especially for something you can't control, like who your parents are. I'm glad her experience so far is better at the international school. It always helps if the faculty actually care and are not letting their own biases influence their treatment of students. I dealt with it going both ways before.

I am not surprised you will be at Yorktown at the same time we will be at the starbase. It seems plausible that you are conspiring with the Adm. to get as much quality grandbaby time as possible. Although Peter will be grateful. He had a wonderful time on New Vulcan and looks forward to spending more time with you. I look forward to my child enjoying spending time with other family members. He needs to have that, especially after so many years with just his mom after what his ex-grandparents did. I want him to know that he has a large extended family, and I feel like his new Vulcan grandfather helped with that. So, I’m grateful.

Will you be bringing Spock’s grandfather with you? The kids adore him. Also, let's be honest, it's not good for him to be alone. Spocks tend to get too caught in their own heads if they spend too much time alone. I think that's what happens with the Elder. At least, that's what I've gathered from my own observations and what he's told me. I know Suarez is trying to spend more time with him, but he can use as much family as possible.

Just so you know, my Spock also had a good visit. He’s just grateful that no fights broke out. I know there were a lot of issues, many of which were not resolved until after Amanda's death. So, he’s grateful that he can actually spend time with you and it not explode into fighting or tears. Also, no one had to be chocolate stoned most of the time. We were slightly concerned about that possibility. However, we are grateful things are better now. Hopefully it will continue that way.

I want to personally thank you for your hospitality. You not only brought us into your home but many of our friends. It’s also comforting to know that we have our own wing of the family house. I'm sure we'll be required to take some mandatory vacation time, and it's much easier to get to New Vulcan than earth. Although maybe we'll try for Vulcan winter. Not this year because you'll be on Yorktown, but maybe next year. Who knows? We'll just have to see.

I just realized I forgot to send you pictures from Spock's birthday. Sorry, I thought Spock bear would do it, and he didn't. Apparently, I am the spouse in charge of that sort of thing now. I'll do better at getting you grandbaby updates. There are many pictures of the kids putting together their latest Lego project.

Do you think I'll be able to talk command into letting me have a room just for the kids to put Legos together? Not just my kids but all the kids. Actually, there should be a playroom for the kids. I'm going to work on that.

To be continued…

Chapter 154: Day 332: Greetings from the mother-in-law.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Day 332: Greetings from the mother-in-law.
From: KirkWX
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 01/18/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for your message
Did you really think I would wait until I dropped off my future daughter-in-law in Yorktown to write to you? You should know better than that. Although I probably will write to Peter and CC you once I arrive. You know I adore my grandbaby.

Thank you so much for sending me a rapid message yesterday. I really needed it. Between anniversary day and having to say goodbye to you and Kevin, it's been a rough couple of days. I am trying to enjoy my remaining time with the babies before we drop them off at Yorktown.

Even though I’m sad to be saying goodbye, I'm glad we had an excellent visit. I'm also pleased that I got to see you in action. You're a good co-captain. I feel like the first officer thing is mostly on paper. We’ll see how that goes when you and Spock switch on the next assignment. Although thankfully, you have four more years before worrying about that. Unless you get tired and just say fuck it and do something else. You know I’m going to be the first one to support you if you do decide that. Starfleet shouldn’t be everything.

It's weird to think that both of my babies are in space. I hoped I would have a little more time with Kevin, but those days were numbered. With him wanting to do diplomatic track I hope that means he will be living on a planet most of the time. Although Liz is command track, who knows what that means. Although my instinct is telling me ambassador on ship eventually. The two bodies problem is always a problem.

In addition to yesterday being my least favorite day of the year (you know it is, which is why we moved your birthday), we also arrived at an unknown ship to do a surprise inspection. So far, nothing looks horrible. There's not even a distillery in engineering. However, there is an entire cannabis farm in Botany. I regret that I have to be zero tolerance for drugs. I couldn’t even have the specialty while we were on the colony. I was stuck with the virginal lemon bars.

At least families will be back on ship soon enough everywhere which would be good for people like Ben. If that stupid ban didn’t happen, you would've never ended up with Frank. I hope lifting the regulation will keep many kids out of bad situations. I hope so, at least. I always believed it was stupid even though it was supposed to be for my benefit after delivering you in the neutral zone. I'm sure somebody was trying to get that rule passed before but just used me.
No one asked me, a new single-parent, what they actually needed.

I never thought I would find myself here again, not just in Starfleet but actually having an active part in your life. Not after everything that happened before, especially with the drinking. But I’m grateful for the second chance, not just with you but with Kevin. I'm glad we have a better relationship now, even though you're so far away. Each time I get a new letter from you I’m excited because that means that you’re still willing to talk to me.

I realize that the only way I will maintain this is to stay sober. Everything falls apart whenever I start drinking again. I doubt you would let me anywhere near Peter if I went back in the bottle. So I’m trying my best. I hope it's enough, though.

Anyway, I’ll see you this summer. Liz assures me they're not going to elope on a space station during the trip for the Sulu wedding, but I'm bringing a second wedding appropriate dress just in case. I think they’re too much in the love bubble to make it until graduation.

Ben is trying to talk me into being his best person because Zoe says it's bad luck for her to participate in the wedding party for his second wedding after being in the first one. I think that’s just an excuse. Unfortunately, Ben is still not speaking to most of his other friends, and honestly, it's probably for the best.
Xxxx
From: KirkWX
To: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 01/18/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for allowing me on your ship

I just wanted to write you to thank you for your hospitality and for allowing me to spend time on your ship. It was wonderful seeing where James works. Also, despite a few idiots, the crew greatly respects you and your husband.

You're probably finding it odd that I am writing to you. I usually write to Jim or Peter, not you. Let's be honest; I've been outright hostile to you for most of our acquaintance. I am very sorry I took out my regrets regarding my second husband on you. That wasn’t fair. I took one incident out of context and built an entire narrative out of it that was completely inaccurate. I am deeply sorry for doing that.

On New Vulcan, I saw firsthand how well your relationship with Peter and James is. I realize that you really are a good father and husband. Parenting is difficult even under the best of circumstances, and these were not the best circumstances. I made a lot of mistakes as a parent. Even though my kids are grown, and I have grandbabies, I still make mistakes. Although I hope they’re less catastrophic now.

I know firsthand that parenting is even more complicated when you jump into a situation like you did. I’m sure I made more mistakes with Kevin than with Jim and Sam. Considering where my mistakes with Jim lead, that's saying something. Thankfully Jim was there to keep it from being even worse. Peter loves you. And it’s apparent that he’s loved and cared for by you and James. He's nowhere near as traumatized as a child who lost both parents before becoming a teenager should be. I know that's because you and my son are doing your best.

I’m sorry I judged you harshly before I knew you. I'm also sorry that I let my old issues keep me from having a good relationship with you. I'm hoping that moving forward, things can be better.

I look forward to spending time with you and Peter this summer. I hope you can also forgive me for the way I treated you in the past. Again, I am incredibly sorry for how I treated you before I knew who you really were, and I hope we can move forward.
Xx

“She really did apologize," James said as he read through the letter on his husband's PADD 3 times.

“You are surprised by this?” Spock asked.

“My mom hasn't always been known for her apologies. Obviously, she's getting better at that.

“She is.”

“Although, it’s sad that your letter is more emotionally honest. I feel like she didn't even know how to end my letter, which is why she brought up wedding stuff." James lamented.

“I'm sure she knew I would share it with you.” Spock suggested.

“Of course, you would. We have that marriage.” James leaned over and kissed him.

“I’m glad you’re up here and not down on planet trying to collect plant and soil samples again without being seen by the locals." After several days of observations, they realized they could continue taking samples without interfering with the local population.

“I am as well. We should be leaving this planet within the next 48 hours. Once our data collection is finished, we will move to the next moon in the system.”

“Do you think the next planet will have Muppets, not the little ones but the big giant ones?” Jim asked. “I must find pictures of that big blue one to show you.”

“I am uncertain. Although it is possible since it is the only other planet in the system that could possibly support life."

Xxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: KirkWX
Time sent: 01/18/2261 21:34:01
Subject: Definitely bring two formal dresses to Yorktown
I've been informed that Liz promised Sulu she would not overshadow his wedding. I think they just want to be dating for a little bit before the wedding. So I don’t expect them to tie the knot until they have to for tandem assignments. But it wouldn't hurt to bring a second dress. The grandbabies are still in the ruining your clothing stage of life. Spock ended up changing his top one breakfast after baby D got jam handprints on his shirt. I'm sending you that picture just in case you did not get it earlier.

I vote for you to be the best person since Zoe said no. I'm sure Ben will not have any other friends coming to the wedding. Partly because it's so far from Earth and partially because of what you mentioned. Although maybe he'll make more friends while at Yorktown.

Yeah, I really should not have expected you to wait until Yorktown. It is good to hear from you. I'm glad that you had this time with the kids. I'm also pleased that you're doing better. I’m proud of you for getting your one-year chip this time. You're doing good, and I appreciate it. Thank you for not indulging in the good lemon bars. It’s good to see you not repeating the same mistakes as last time.

I’m grateful that we can keep Peter with us for now. The program gets reevaluated soon. We're almost approaching the one-year mark. Even if I'm not sure who is actually doing the evaluation. Maybe Chen was doing that while she was on the ship. Although since she's known Gina since possibly pre-k, that might be an ethics issue. If by some catastrophe, they decide not to expand the program, Cookie Vulcan will be looking at teaching positions at the VSA. But for now we’re staying put.

I can't believe it's been a year since this mission started. It’s been an amazingly crazy year with a mix of good and bad things and some bizarre things. Fraggles are real. That will make sense to you when you see the report. No, I will not elaborate. We're still observing. We're also trying not to break the prime directive as we do it. It's been one of those weeks.

I get that it probably has been a sad couple of days. Even I am teary-eyed that my baby brother is on a ship without me. But I think you'll be OK and so will Kevin. OK, there's the assholes he's dealing with, but I think other than that, it's going well. We are so going to have to compare notes on that. I'm trying to decide if he will be more honest with me, you, or the fiancée. I'm not sure. I tend to be more truthful with Spock than I am with other people, so that might be it.

PS: Did you get Spock a T-shirt that read "my species initiated first contact, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" for his birthday? I initially believed it was one of the kids, but I have yet to get a confession. I have attached that image for your amusement.
Xxxxx
From: Jim's_cuddlebear
To: KirkWX
Time sent: 01/18/2261 22:55:23
Subject: Thank you for your apology

Thank you for your letter. I appreciate you reaching out to me directly without an intermediary. It would be illogical for me to say that I was unaware of your hostilities regarding myself. I understood that it was coming from a place of concern due to my own actions and not out of a place of prejudice. This is refreshing because most of the dislike I encounter is directly related to my heritage.

I received an expletive-filled letter from your former mother-in-law soon after our nuptials were made public that was promptly turned over to the authorities. Her distasteful comments about me in the book were mild by comparison. Yet her dislike for me was not solely based on my gender and species. She also dislikes that I am of Jewish heritage even though I’m nonpracticing. Apparently, she’s anti-semitic. This is not surprising.

I appreciate your apology. I accept it because I saw from your actions during our trip that you have changed. It was evident that you were less hostile, and now I know it was not just for Peter’s sake. Apologies are meaningless without taking action to rectify the situation.

I understand your apprehension. I did choke your son, creating a mental bond that technically married us by the culture of my people. It is logical you would be upset at that situation and mistrust me. You may have even felt that I entrapped your son in an abusive relationship. Because of your personal history, it's logical for you to feel this way. But I am not your former husband. I assume you are aware of that at this point but let me try to alleviate any lingering fears. You should be well aware that I would never abuse or neglect James. Any type of physical encounter would be completely consensual, including strangulation. Although I have been informed that this is not something I should include in this letter, I feel it is something you should be made aware of. James wants me to delete that from the letter, but I think it's essential that you have actual assurance in that regard.

 

I will acknowledge that becoming a parent suddenly was a challenging experience. It was made worse because I didn't have my own mother to seek advice from. I've been reading many parenting books since we received custody of Peter.

My father tried, but he was the least hands-on parent. His third attempt at parenthood is doing better than the first two attempts, but he comes to us for parenting advice. It seems as if we are all making it up as we go to use a phrase from one of Jim’s favorite songs. But we are trying our best that’s all we can do right now.

James appreciates all you’re doing to try to be in Peter‘s life. We’re aware that staying sober is an ongoing process for you. But we appreciate the effort that you’re putting into maintaining your sobriety. We look forward to seeing you this summer and also continuing correspondence during the time between. Several pictures are attached, including recent attempts at making vegan sugar cookies.

During mid-February, we will be at a Starbase to undergo repairs due to the incident in engineering. I'm sure you had a chance to survey the damage during your visit. Thankfully, nothing needs immediate repairs but it is something that must be dealt with nonetheless. We hope to have a video call at that time.

To be continued.

Notes:

So, you may have noticed that this is labeled as chapter 332 even though it's only two days later per the email dates. Now that we’re only a month away, I am aware that I miscounted at some point during the story, and we are off by four days. Because I'm too lazy to go back and correctly renumber, we're just going to skip an extra day between the following four updates. That way, when we get to February 17, it will actually be day 365.
Yes, that T-shirt exists and has been worn by at least one Spock actor at a convention.

Chapter 155: Day 335: Legal Queen

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. I adore your feedback so much. I truly appreciate every single Kudo and favorite.

Chapter Text

From: Legal Queen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: I’m still so glad I got to see you on Christmas.
Time arrived: 01/20/2261 00:00:01

It feels weird getting your letter after having such a long chat on Christmas. A lot of the things that were mentioned in your note we already talked about. That was definitely the best Christmas present I got this year. Definitely better than anything I can get from the admiral when she returns. I'm glad that a video call was possible. I hope maybe we can do it again at some point. Your letters are lovely, but I enjoy talking to you.

Since you weren't before, I am very excited that you're interested in what I do for a living. Unfortunately, I can’t give you too many details. Lawyers live by confidentiality rules just like doctors do. I feel like your mom would have at least gone over this. But I can confirm that I am consulting on the Kirk-Grayson unauthorized likeness lawsuit.

However, I'm not the only member of the team. Also, it would be a slight conflict of interest since your dad is also a party to the lawsuit. Let's just say there are aspects of this you're unaware of that require multiple team members.

Also, I need to be able to focus on the Nana Kirk case. She was absolutely shocked we managed to get actual hardcopy signatures. She didn't expect us to work with the Enterprise legal team to deal with this.

You weren’t kidding about the several hundred pictures. I’ve been getting pictures for days, and I expect more to come. I’ve shown them off to all of my colleagues. Chloe’s daughter now wants to study abroad in the New Vulcan colony. I feel like the actual program would be nowhere near as much fun as all of you seem to be having.

You did have the best gingerbread house. Although I already knew that from seeing it during our video call. But it looked better in the still images.

I'm glad to actually get to see your cousin. Sorry, I'm responsible for accidentally giving her a controlled substance. I didn't get to that part of the Vulcan legal code until after I shipped my Christmas presents. Although I’ve been assured it’s more like pot on Earth than accidentally giving her opiates. I got the impression you didn’t know that chocolate would hit her so hard. Having Human-Vulcan hybrid physiology probably means that Spock responds slightly differently to the compound. You shouldn't have used him as a reference for how Saavik would respond.

I am so glad you enjoyed all your Christmas presents. I know you told me that in person, but I'm happy to read all the details. Although maybe next time I won't send as much chocolate. However, you're my only niece, so I must spoil you. Well, that I'm aware of, at least. I won't be shocked if it turns out the Judge had a few illegitimate children. Maybe he can just go bother them and leave me the fuck alone. I am so so done with him.

I know you know about the incident with the Judge on Christmas Day. We weren't as fast as we should've been with disconnecting the call, and you heard a little too much. So you should know what's going on.

Yes, the Judge did break into my house and tried to burn down my office. Although it seems like he was trying to access my computer files. We're still trying to figure out why the Judge did that. I think he was trying to sabotage my case to get me fired, so I will come back to him.

The only one he got fired was himself. He got kicked out of the firm. That's quite an accomplishment considering he's a founding partner. It shouldn’t be surprising since the other founding partners are now dead, and they have been replaced by their children. None of whom actually like the Judge. Since they can’t get revenge on their overbearing fathers, they can take it out on my sperm donor. I welcome him actually getting punished for once.

Anyway, he's in jail, and I am house shopping again. Some of my new friends are helping. I'm looking at a few units in the same community as my boss. Some of the units are rentals, and others are for sale. I have attached a few images of some of the prospects. In the meantime, I am enjoying living in a hotel next to work. This is the next best thing if I can't work from home. Actually, it’s better because I have a pool here.

I know by this point you’re back on Enterprise. How was the rest of your vacation? Did anything else interesting happen? I got pictures of you dancing in the rain. I didn’t even know it rained on the colony. Although it looks like you’re having fun.

I assume classes have already started back again? How's that going? Did you pick up any new classmates during your break, or will that happen later?

Anyway, write back when you have a chance.
Xxxx

 

From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: Re: I'm still so glad I get to see you on Christmas.
Time sent: 01/20/2261 18:08:01
I'm so glad you're getting all the pictures. Have you got the ones from uncles Jim and Spock's not-a-birthday yet? The cake was great, and the babies covered themselves with it.

Thankfully we lost classmates instead of gaining more. We’ve been back for a while. Long enough that we’ve received our grade back from our vacation research project. I mentioned last time that Peter is a Vulcan citizen and has access to the good version of history. So we decided to compare the public version of the Battle of Vulcan to the Vulcan-only version of the Battle of Vulcan to first-person sources such as uncle Jim and mom.

The good news is that we received an A+ on the project. Gina said that we did college-level research on this. The bad news is that the Vulcan-only version is filled with anti-Romulan prejudice. Now I understand why so many of cousin S's former classmates were assholes to her. The Vulcan-only version conveniently neglects to mention that Nero was not acting on behalf of the Romulan government. Of course, they can't mention the time travel part, but they could at least mention that he's a rogue actor, not government-sponsored.

Essentially we learned that they keep parts of the history missing from the official public account and frame things to best suit the pre-existing political agenda. Or at least that's how Uncle Spock described it. He was not happy and sent a copy to his father. There was a video call yesterday with grandpa. This was when we discovered Enterprise soundproofing is not as good as it should be.

Most of the rest of the vacation was fun. You got to see stuff from our visit to the Cliffs. Yes, it does rain occasionally on New Vulcan. That was the only time it rained during our entire stay, which is why I danced in the rain. I missed being on a planet and had to take advantage of it. I don't think we're going planet side until February during the emergency shore leave due to some of engineering being blown up while we were on vacation. The uncles don't want to talk about it.

Although in the meantime, we're still exploring the many planets and moons in the New Vulcan system. Unfortunately, none of us kids are actually able to go. Peter tried. This is horrible because, on the last planet, they found Fraggle's. Well, sort of. They look a lot like Fraggle’s, anyway. Now that we're surveying a few nearby moons, I don't think anything near as fun has been found yet. I feel like Gina's girlfriend would mention something. Uncle Spock is not on this mission, so she's our only source. Uncle Jim is too busy with the renovation plans for Enterprise to be involved.

Thank you for telling me at least some of what's happening with the Judge. I am glad he’s out of his firm. I know he’s been arrested because Liz and Kevin got a few rapid messages on the issue before they left. I am sure it’s connected to the fact that the Judge was paying the bail of Ben’s former father-in-law just to mess with them. They were not happy to do so many emergency calls when they were supposed to be on vacation.

If I thought saying goodbye to Ashley two, and Jay was hard, saying goodbye to Kevin and Liz was so much worse. It was sad for them too since they will be apart for the next six months. I don't think they've been away from each other for more than a few days since they started dating. The last time they were away from each other this long was when Liz did her original semester on Ship. Kevin was miserable since it coincided with his final year of high school, and he already hated it.

I’m just glad I’ll at least see them in June. Will I still see you in June, or have plans changed? I know you have a lot on your plate, especially with finding a new place to live again. I personally vote for the place with the purple walls. Mainly because it has more guestrooms. Maybe when I'm a little bit older, I can spend some time on Earth with you. It wasn't an option when you were in Georgia because you were way too close to the Judge, but maybe in San Francisco, we could work something out. Or perhaps the Judge will be dead by that point. One can hope.

PS: Please keep sending us all the chocolate. I promise I will not share my chocolate again with any other Vulcan but Spock. Apparently, he's the only one who can handle his chocolate. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to give it to my cousin. Oops.
To be continued…

Chapter 156: Day 338: No found family left behind

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are absolutely fabulous.

Chapter Text

Day 338: No found family left behind.

From: Legal Queen
To: Doctor bones
CC: NyotaUM
Subject: Re: Happy holidays, thank you for all the presents (especially the slippers)
Time arrived: 01/22/2261 00:00:01

Thank you so much for writing. I'm happy all the presents got to you on time. Of course, I had to get you and the girlfriend something. I actually like her. You're also the only family I still like, and I am on speaking terms with. You guys are my family now. Found family is better anyway.

I also want to apologize because I didn’t testify on your behalf during the divorce. I was freshly back from rehab stint number three, but I should’ve tried harder to testify. Back then, I knew you would be a better parent for Josephine than my sister, but I didn't say anything. I knew your fake family were slandering you, and I kept my mouth shut. I'm sorry for that.

At a minimum, once I was healthy, I should've handed you a bunch of lawyer recommendations. I’m sorry I didn't do that either. That's one of my many regrets, and I have a whole truckload of them. Most of them are related to drug use but not everything. My family is a mess, and I should've tried harder to keep Josephine away from it.

I feel you knew about what my father did on Christmas day but were kind enough not to mention it. Thank you for that. He's been arrested, and the bosses are doing everything possible to ensure he doesn't get out before the trial. It helps that he's managed to burn all his bridges with every lawyer that could handle the case, and it's not exactly like he can pay them right now. Future stepmom number whatever just took everything and ran off to Risa with her girlfriend.

I don't really care about losing my inheritance. I'm pretty sure I'm disowned anyway, and I rather the judge not have resources to help him get out of the punishment awaiting him. Money is starting to become increasingly worthless now with universal income. Maybe just maybe, we will eventually become a post-capitalistic society. I definitely don’t want the land or the house of hell. I just wanted to burn it to the ground.

Despite the hiccup with the judge, I still love San Francisco much more than being in Georgia. I like the cases I'm working on and management that respects me. It helps that my bosses have never clerked for my father. I also have actual friends here, not just work colleagues. I even met Chloe, who may eventually be more than a friend. I'm working on it. She’s helping me look for a new place to live anyway.

I was leaning towards buying. But it was pointed out to me that maybe I should rent. Particularly if I decide to make good use of my hopeful ability to litigate on New Vulcan once I pass their bar exam equivalent. I’m not opposed to renting. Especially if my father does do something stupid again. Although if I buy and move, I can always just rent the place. I’ll figure it out eventually.

Work has been challenging but good. I know you are aware of that since at least one of my colleagues pulled you into an emergency call about the unauthorized likeness issue. Be happy it's just children's toys, and you don't have a sex toy named after you. This surprises me because Dr. Bones feels like something that would work, or maybe it's just too on the nose for a dildo. I am glad I can’t work on that case due to a conflict of interest. I would start giggling during deposition, and that would be very unprofessional.

So far, I'm still coming up this summer. With how things are going, I'm probably doing depositions on Yorktown. I have a feeling this won't be an enjoyable working vacation. I blame Nana Kirk. You’ll need to talk to Jim for details on that mess.

Anyway, please keep sending pictures. I love them. You’re much better at telling me about what’s going on in my niece’s life. Keep it up.

PS: I’m sending you another one of the blankets. Of course, your girlfriend is a blanket hog.
Xxxx
From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 1/22/2260 00:00:01
Subject: We will leave no Vulcans behind
No, we will definitely not let the Elder go through this alone. During our last tea date, I told him I would accompany him to any necessary doctor appointments. He appreciated the gesture. I am not sure if he's going to tell me about these appointments or not. Don't worry. I have my ways.

I think he's hopeful, too, because they're going to start a new treatment regime. We will see how that goes. But at least they're trying something, and that's what matters.

Good luck with getting a third therapist. I'm sure you guys need one as much as we need more people here. I am currently lobbying the VSA to have a psychology program. At this point, it would have psychology students come here to learn how to treat Vulcan patients as part of their rotation. It's needed.

I don't know if I'm even going to be able to go this “summer” to Yorktown even though I was invited because, of course, the grandparents are maudlin. Although I won't say that the embassy doesn't need a therapist during the setup. Or somebody to chat with the psychiatric team on Yorktown to teach them best practices for working with Vulcan patients.

Some days, I feel like I'm rewriting the entire book on Vulcan psychology with just a few of my colleagues. There weren’t that many Vulcan psychologists before the Cataclysm. Very few survived that, and now we’re rebuilding. We’re just doing our best to get through it.

You know your husband best, and I'm sure you realize by now that his first love is science. That's why he's in Starfleet. Yes, he is an excellent captain, but maybe that's because science comes first to him. So let him have a couple of hours to indulge in his science. How did that go, by the way? The ambassador hasn't received any emergency messages, so I assume he did not end up in sick bay again. How did Peter deal with him being away for a mission?

Please take advantage of being relatively close and write me more.

Xxxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time sent: 1/22/2260 06:06:06
Subject: Re: We will leave no Vulcans behind

You have to come to Yorktown this summer. If anybody deserves an actual vacation, it’s you. As you stated in your letter, you're doing a lot, including literally rewriting the book on Vulcan psychology. If you don’t take a break, you'll burn out, and then what good are you to your patients? You definitely don't want to burn out.

Besides, it might be good for you to spend time with the family you actually like. I am enjoying having family members that I'm on good terms with. Even Winona, which feels weird, but we're in a better place. She apologized to Spock for how she treated him, which I wasn't sure she would ever do. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it because I am well aware of how Frank has messed her up over the years. So I was inclined to let it go. But I’m glad she’s reaching out. It definitely shows progress.

Thank you for offering to accompany the Elder to his various doctor appointments. I think the Elder really does need emotional support. Being ill by yourself is never good. Since I’m such a Spock expert, I don't think it's good for him to be alone. So take care of the old guy for us. Spocks do not do well when they get too caught up in their heads. At all.

I'm just starting to see how much my husband needs science time. He's definitely been happier these last couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, he's a great captain, better than me. But after Peter and me, science comes first. It's why he's here. He does need quality science time.

I should’ve realized this earlier because he volunteers to help Peter and all his friends with their science homework. We pretty much have a lab designated for just the kids now. Also, he is entirely on board with my plans for a kids' rec room. Although I think that’s because he keeps stepping on Legos and hopes a designated spot will keep that from happening. I'm working with the engineering team to find the best location.

Yes, the mission went well, sort of. There is intelligent life on New Vulcan's closest neighbor. They kind of look like Fraggles and have an entire underground society. Yes, we found out all without violating the prime directive. You would be so proud. They also have some plant species that match a few that were Lost when Vulcan imploded. Thankfully the team was able to acquire seeds and cuts. The VSA team will be taking them back soon. Honeybear was very happy with that discovery.

We're currently collecting soil samples of a neighboring moon but will be wrapping up today. We’re moving onto the only other planet in the system that might be suitable for life. We'll spend a little extra time checking for life before we send the team down. We decided that Sulu gets to go down this time. We're trying to rotate among the three of us since, let's be honest, he's really the first officer without the paperwork. I genuinely hate paperwork.

Anyway, as always, write back when you can. I have included pictures of the kids' latest Lego building project. Also, a copy of their research project if you're willing to read it. Please note this is not light reading. Spock cried, and Ny broke things. She’s pissed off that nobody took her warning seriously. Honestly, we all are.

Xxxxx
From: Doctor Bones
To: Legal Queen
Cc: NyotaUM
Subject: Happy holidays, thank you for all the presents (especially the slippers)
Time sent: 01/22/2261 23:34:01
We actually didn't know about the entire situation with your father until after I wrote that letter. Elizabeth Chen is very good at keeping secrets and doesn't send rapid messages immediately. Also, personal correspondence from the New Vulcan colony had a slight delay. I'm just glad you're safe at the moment. The judge is a problem. It would be much better for us if he just dropped dead.

I accept your apology, but you don't need to apologize for what happened. I remember where you were back then. You were barely holding it together. I think having to testify against your family would have sent you straight into a relapse. And you wouldn't have had daddy’s money for rehab trip number four. And if I remember correctly, that was the magic trip that really did help. You did what you needed to do to keep yourself healthy. I'm not gonna be mad at that.

You did help us take out the judge in the end. I'm grateful for that and for your support now. You are part of my found family.

Even I laugh about the girlfriend taking everything. Ny says it's what he deserves, and I agree. I feel it's the universe's way of paying me back for him taking my family business away from me. Hopefully, he'll stay away from us going forward.

As for buying and or renting, you have to decide if you really do want to stay in San Francisco with your new friends or go use your fancy new legal license on the New Vulcan colony. Your niece would love it if you were closer. I feel like she will spend a lot of time on the planet, especially since my girlfriend will be a citizen soon. I have to read through the rules, but I think this means that Josephine now qualifies for Vulcan citizenship when she turns 14. I would eventually qualify if we were married, but non-married partners have different rules.

If you really like it there, then you should stay. Unless you're worried about the judge, I can understand wanting to be farther away from him. Part of me says don't let him chase you out, but I'm sure you probably know what happened to Peter's maternal aunt at this point. I don’t want that to happen to you. So just stay safe.

I’ve gotten to know way too many of your colleagues. And yes, I am very grateful not to have my own sex toy. Also thankful that my girlfriend doesn't have one named after her. I also know way too much about the litigation with Nana Kirk. Absolutely hateful woman. The only person I’ve met that I’ve wanted to punch out more than your father. I didn’t because I’m a gentleman, but I really wanted to.

I’m glad you’re still coming our way. Josephine is really looking forward to showing you off to all her friends in person. Prepare to spend quality time with lots of teenagers.

To be continued.

Chapter 157: Day 341: Every End is a New Beginning

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are great, and I adore every kudos or favorite request.

Chapter Text

From: KirkWX
To: Peter_K
Time arrived: 01/24/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from Good Nana Kirk

Hey sweetie. I thought I would write you now that I'm getting ready to drop your Aunt Liz and the Babies off at Yorktown. I depart with the admiral in the morning. I am sad for this visit to be over, but I'm already looking forward to the next one. All good things must end eventually, but every end is a new beginning.

In the meantime, I will enjoy every single one of these letters I get from you and your uncle. I also adore all the pictures, but please tell Jim to send more videos. Liz has several. I know he takes them. It's been a quiet trip back so far, although I have at least another week with Adm. Chen and one more surprise inspection. Though I will say, Enterprise is my favorite ship so far. That's because all my favorite people are on that ship. Obviously, I’m biased.

Have you gotten used to being back in classes yet? How did your project go? Will I actually get to read the report? I thought you chose a fascinating subject. The official version of a significant incident is rarely what really happened. The universe knows that the actual version of what happened on Tarsus IV was very different than what the public knows about. Someday I’ll write it all down but not today.

Anyway, I’ll keep this short because I need to write Kevin too. Liz hasn’t got a letter from my son yet, and she's a little annoyed. I just sat back and laughed when the admiral called him after we got here. He really should've just messaged Liz. Oh well, he’ll learn.
Xxxx
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: SuluHG2260
Time arrived: 01/24/2261 00:00:01
Subject: We are adjusting, but the babies miss you
Hey, I know Ben wrote you a rapid message when we first arrived, but I wanted to follow up the old-fashioned way. Besides, I have yet to hear from my boyfriend, so I'm bored. My mom even yelled at him for me for being an idiot and not using rapid messaging privileges when he should have. He's trying to avoid all accusations of nepotism from what I’ve gathered from my mom. My boyfriend should just get over it.

Don't worry, I told him that in my letter multiple times. I feel like I'm dating an idiot. I love the guy, but he can be frustrating sometimes. I've been told it's a Kirk trait and apparently one that even adoptive Kirks pick up. So we’re all in trouble.

The babies are adjusting well to being with mommy and daddy. Although they miss you a lot. There was a lot of crying the first day, but it got better on the ride here. Now they’re having loads of fun exploring the space station.

Thankfully there are a few children their age year already, so they have playmates for the playground. A few embassies are already populated, along with most commercial properties. Some of those were filled this past summer. There are so many more people here now. That means the base is officially open for business.

All the construction is done, which is good with the kids wanting to touch everything. They absolutely would dive headfirst into a construction site. The buildings were still works in progress when we were here. The Starfleet shipyard will also be operational soon. I’m grateful my internship is not there. Although it is in the office of Commodore Paris so that could be bad. I may be dealing with my own nepotism accusations, but I can deal with that tomorrow. Sue is starting tomorrow too. I think we’re in different offices. I hope so.

I have way too much free time on my hands right now. It feels weird not raising a toddler and going to classes full-time simultaneously. All of a sudden, I actually have time to do things and don’t have anybody to do them with. Maybe I'll make some friends on the starbase.

Of course, I’ll be watching the girls sometimes. At least once a week so their grandma can have a break, but it's different than being responsible for everything. And I'm trying very hard to let Ben and Sue take the lead with D. I don't want her to think she can come to me when they say no because they are her parents. It's an adjustment.

Anyway, what's happening on Enterprise? Did you find any cool plants?
Xxxxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Elizabeth_Chen
Time sent: 01/24/2261 06:23:01
Subject: Re: We are adjusting, but the babies miss you

I miss them too. Thank you for writing. I look forward to your letters as always. Especially because you sent a bunch of baby pictures. They’re all adorable.

I understand that this is a significant change for you. You went from being a full-time parent with your partner to being by yourself with the occasional babysitting on what should be considered a different planet. You’re now several light-years away from your non-Ben friends and your boyfriend. It's a lot to adjust to, and it may be challenging. But you can talk to me about that. Also, talk to your sister. I don't want you completely out of the girls' lives because you are a crucial part of that.

I know you're sad. Being away from your fiancé sucks. It's the number one reason I'm hoping family assignments will become a thing again. It didn't hurt as much with Sue here, but now that she's gone, it's been lonely.

Most of my friends have their significant other with them on ship. Actually, they even have their kids here. There are some advantages to starting with preteens and teenagers. Even Rebecca is gone. I miss my sparring partner though Reyes came with skills. See, making new friends is possible.

At least I have interesting work to keep me occupied. I'm very grateful I double-tracked. The botany background has been more useful recently. We did find a lot of cool plants. We found some cool other stuff that I'm not at liberty to discuss. But the Vulcan botanical gardens will be very happy with what the VSA team brings back.

We are now on to the next planet. We're doing a couple of extra days of remote censoring before I lead the team down to collect samples. We’re trying to avoid a repeat of the Fraggles incident. Don’t ask. Just know that the prime directive wasn’t broken, we think.

I want to hear all about your new job. Are you just working, or are you taking classes part-time? Of course, I want to hear more stories about how everybody is adjusting to Yorktown. Although I feel like you’re all still unpacking at this point.

Also, I have pictures of Peter and Josephine from fencing practice. They would be furious if I didn't send you pictures. Also, I expect them to write to you. Actually, you might get a letter or two from Spock’s sister. She has the writing people for her class assignment. I got my first letter today. She sent it to my work account, but it's okay. I answered all her questions about plants. I will make a botanist out of her yet. Spock is sad she wrote to me before him. But I think she just wanted more baby videos and needed actual help with a specific homework project.
Xxx
From: Peter_K
To: KirkWX
Time sent: 01/24/2261 20:23:01
Subject: Re: Greetings from Good Nana Kirk
I’m glad you wrote. I miss you too. It’s good to have not evil family. I was initially afraid to have a grandmother again after what happened last time. But you are so much better than her. You actually care, which makes a big difference.

I hope Uncle Kevin has emailed Aunt Liz by this point. Although Uncle Jim said he was worried about the other interns making fun of him because of his family, which is kind of stupid. Josephine said that happened to her early on with the other Enterprise kids. Ashley 1 apologized again for being a bitch early on. So I can understand why Kevin is worried, but that should not keep him from rapid messaging.

I hope we start getting regular letters from him soon. I don’t know how far away their ship is. I was told that before the Vengeance incident, most email messages were rapid by default, at least among the upper levels. That stopped after because all the personal messages were being screened.

Maybe Kevin is just super busy. Per Ashley three's new girlfriend, Jacqueline Ortega, being an intern is exhausting. The first week is the worst because you learn everything you don't know. Don't worry, Jacqueline is only 17. She is just another super genius and super cool.

I've adapted back to being in class all the time. I miss the more hands-on stuff we were doing in New Vulcan. Although Gina and Spock are talking. They're going to try to come up with more practical lessons on the ship. We already have our own science lab, which is nice. Also, there are plans to make us a fun space. That would be good, especially if we get more kids on the ship.

Yes, you can read a copy of our report, but Uncle Jim or Spock needs to send it to you. It may be classified. There is a lot in there. Although I kept some things out, like what happened when Uncle Spock's mom died. That felt too personal. It was hard for him to talk about that. But then he told me fun stories about her. I'm sad I didn't get to have her as a grandmother. She would've been fantastic.

It's okay that you're not ready to talk to me about Tarsus yet. I don't know if I'm prepared for that conversation about Sam yet. I've gotten enough from bits and pieces from Liz and Kevin to know it's going to be a tough conversation. Someday we will be ready, but not now.

Anyway, here are more pictures, mainly from the fencing club. I'm doing pretty good, although Josephine is so much better. She did start before me. I'm working on it.
To be continued.

Chapter 158: Day 343: I hit the send button this time

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left kudos for the last chapter. I truly appreciate all your feedback.

After careful consideration, I've decided that it's best for everybody to consider Nhi Pike an original character and not the Kelvin timeline version of Number One any longer. Thanks to the new series giving Number One actual character development (and a name), the characters are just too different now. Think of it this way, because of differences in the timeline, Christopher Pike ended up serving with Nhi instead of Commander Una Chin-Riley. There is a version of Commander Una Chin-Riley somewhere in the universe of my story.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny; Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 01/26/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I actually hit the send button this time. (I hope)

You'll be so happy to know that I actually sent this reply. At least, I hope I did. If I find this in my unsent emails in a month, you'll get something with a completely different subject line.

I wish the babies would make it to March, but twins tend to be born early. I'm hoping they are February babies and not January babies like you. I haven't got pictures from your not-a-birthday yet. I'm expecting lots.

I did get pictures from the kids at the cliffs, and it looks like it was a lot of fun. I'm so sorry you were stuck in boring meetings instead of getting to dance in the rain. Everybody should get to dance in the rain at least once on a strange alien planet. There are moments when I really miss not being in space. But I think I'm going to be landlocked for a while. It's a little necessary with twins.

I don’t like the schmoozing. Unfortunately, it is part of the job. And there is a lot of that with my current position. I don’t even want to think about the New Year’s parties. There are also moments that I feel like I'm being paraded out as the pregnant Widow. Thankfully, they only have a few more months to use me that way.

Despite that part, I like the students and the work I'm doing currently. So I will deal with it at least until maternity leave. Let's just say I'm glad my time on Yorktown will be maternity leave and not a working vacation. Unless the twins show up super early. However, I think you get more parental leave for preemies. I don’t wanna look that up because then I’ll end up jinxing us. I really don’t want super preemies.

I’m sure you’re happy not to be stuck in boring meetings anymore. Or engaging in high amounts of Starfleet diplomatic ass-kissing. Missions are always better unless they involve quality time with diplomats. Have you discovered anything interesting? Did anything weird happen? At least anything weird you can tell me.

So, Christmas was good. Rebecca can cook, and it was nice to have a non-replicated homemade meal. The babies liked it, and therefore, it stayed down. I'm one of those women that has third-trimester morning sickness. (I thought I was done with this.) They definitely prefer non-replicated food. The twins are picky eaters.

I got your Christmas presents. You did not have to get me so much stuff. Although I absolutely adore the rocking chair. It's vintage, and I don't know how you managed to order that from the middle of nowhere, but I appreciate it. I also love the “my Big Brother is a Starfleet captain” Onesie. It’s so adorable. Thank you for that. Also, thank you for the Spa day gift card. I am definitely going to need that before the babies get here. I can’t believe there is a mommy to be package. I’m going to enjoy it.

I am so sorry about the situation with the Elder. Don't feel bad for telling me about it because I got a seven-page email from Winona. What I got from you was nothing compared to the epic rant I read there. Also, it is best that you don't know the details of what happened when Winona went to see him. Just know that your mom will always go to bat for you.

I think it’s better that you know what’s coming and that you can prepare yourself instead of his death being a shock. My mom was sick for a long time, and I could say goodbye to her. I have no regrets, and there are no unsaid words between us. I even got to hold her hand as she passed. Chris pulled off a miracle and got me shore leave just in time. That might’ve been when I fell in love with him.

Because of how it happened, there are many things I never told Chris, and I have many regrets. We had a life we were planning together. He should be with me for the birth of our babies, and he's not. Of course, it was my choice to still go through with the pregnancy. I don't regret that decision. However, I miss him more now; I don't think it's all the pregnancy hormones. I’m still grieving the life we could’ve had. Because if I knew my time with Chris would be so limited, I would've made very different life choices. But I didn't know.

You can’t really prepare to lose someone you love. Because even if you know it's happening, it will still be a punch to the heart. But at least it's a controlled punch. You can take precautions to prevent it from worsening.

It's OK for you to worry about how this will affect Spock. You want him healthy and with you for as long as possible. Finding out that he is genetically predisposed to a terminal health condition can obviously contribute to your anxiety. However, this unique situation allows you the opportunity to address the situation now. There’s an older saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It’s best for your peace of mind to work on this now. It’s always better if you feel like you’re doing something instead of just sitting there passively.

Anyway, I'll expect more pictures. Also, a new ultrasound is attached. Rebecca was kind enough to be my escort to the appointment. They're really getting big.

Xxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny;
To: Number_one_Pike
CC: Jim’s_cuddlebear
Time sent: 01/26/2261 22:12:01
Subject: Email received.

We did get your email and attachments. You had the best Christmas sweater. Thank you so much for the latest ultrasound. I absolutely adore it, and I'm glad Rebecca could go with you. The twins look so cute. I think one of them was sucking their thumb. Per the baby books, that seems kind of normal. It also says it is highly probable the twins will be February babies. Although I'm hoping for late February.

Maybe it will coincide with our time on Starbase, and I can do a live video chat. Regardless I will do video chat here, but if we're on base, I might be able to watch the entire birth and virtually coach you through. I wish I could be there, but video coaching would be the next best thing.

I am not surprised my mom sent you a multipage rant. I’m just glad she’s telling these things to somebody. She has a tendency to keep things in. Her last letter to Peter was super short. It’s obvious she ended prematurely because she mentioned Tarsus. Just thinking about that place always brings her down. But hey, at least she is not going straight for the bottle. That is progress, at least.

You're right. I don't want to know what Winona did to the Elder. Whatever mom did got through to the Elder, and he's less resigned to death and is now trying to fight this. He was willing to consult with Bones, and my genius doctor friend had some ideas. Now that the Elder's team has my Honeybear’s medical records, they're willing to try some stuff. I don't know if this will fix things, but maybe it will give us more time.

I think you're right that this will hurt regardless, but at least I'll have closure. Every day there are so many questions I wish I could've asked Arlene. Why did she keep Peter from us for so long? Why did she choose me?

She died in the other timeline as well. The only difference was Sam died at the same time. Because, of course, the weird alien parasite showed up in both timelines. It happened sooner here because a butterfly flapped its wings in the neutral zone, and that butterfly was Nero.

Peter ended up with someone else in that timeline. I don't know who, and I'm not going to ask. I would love to know if she chose me because this version of James Tiberius Kirk is a stable, mature person or if I was the only one left.

I miss her. I don't know why because she was out of my life for so long before she died. But it still hurt to see her die in front of me. I hate that Peter doesn’t have his mom anymore. I hate that her being gone led me to actually getting to be a dad. Which turned out to be something I really wanted but thought I could never have after the Vengeance incident left me sterile. There are a lot of weird emotions there.

At least with the Elder, we can say goodbye. We have time to make memories during these last few months, such as dancing in the rain on the cliffs or getting covered in cake by the Sulu babies. They adore their great-grandfather. I have attached pictures of that, and it was super cute. I'm sending them to you just in case no one else has. I will make the most of the time we have going forward.

Of course, we got you a present even though Christmas isn't your thing. Think of them more as baby shower gifts. Liz came up with the idea to get you the spa gift certificate. She did something similar for Sue before she had baby D. Sue loved it and said it was the only time in her pregnancy when her back didn't hurt. I think you might be getting a truckload of slightly loved baby things from the Sulu-Chens. It made more sense for them to ship them to you in London, then keep them in storage. Actually, I think that might be where the rocking chair came from. Although the chair looked familiar, it wasn't from us. We got you mostly the clothes and the rocking horse. There may be other things coming your way. I may have gone a little overboard in the shopping. It was a light day.

Oh god, yes, we’re starting to find weird things again. Last week it was Fraggles. This morning it was plants that eat ensigns. Don't worry, we didn't lose a redshirt, just a hand. Spock decided we would use bots to get the rest of the soil samples. We are going to leave the plants alone for now. The plan is to observe for a few days to determine which plants are ensign eaters.

I am so glad we sent Sulu down because he was able to use his fencing skills to free the ensign. Yes, he actually stabbed the plant with his retractable probe.

I’m gonna have to send the lapel cam footage to headquarters and my admiral just for her to believe it. I’m just glad it’s just desolated moons and non-habitable planetoids after this. Then we can drop the VSA scientists off and work on the ship. We were approved for a new kids' recreational room. I will take this as a sign that the kids onboard ships program will continue. I hope so, at least.

Anyway, I have to go help Peter with his homework. I’ll talk to you later.

PS: Honeybun will send you the kids' Winter Break research project. It’s probably going to make you super angry. The admiral was when we sent it to her. I got one hell of an emergency message. But hey, at least I know mom will be back on earth soon, just in time for Lamaze class.

To be continued

Notes:

Health update: My surgery went well Monday, and I am at home recuperating. I’m starting to proofread stories again, which is why you got an update this week. However, expect updates to be a little slower while I recuperate.

Chapter 159: Day 346: Greetings from middle school hell

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left kudos for the last section. I always appreciate your feedback. You’re so wonderful.

I also want to thank everybody who wished me well regarding my surgery. I really want to show my appreciation.

I also want to let you all know that I’ve encountered more turbulence in real life. This past week my mother died due to complications of Alzheimer’s, so I have been going through a lot recently. A lot of stuff is pre-written right now, but there could be delays down the road. However, those of you who remember my story The Denial Phase, you are aware that writing is how I process things.

Chapter Text

From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: Peter_K
Time arrived: 1/29/2261 00:00:01
Subject: The new school is still better than the last one
Thank you so much for writing back. It’s always good to hear from you. Thank you for sending me the video files. I find those Muppets extremely fascinating. The ambassador was familiar because he had watched the show on Earth. Although it couldn't have been because of Amanda because Spock would've been aware. It's best that I don't ask questions.

As requested, I sent you a list of recommended classic Vulcan media. Most of it is adaptations of Earth literature and plays. There was a lot of that after First Contact with Earth. And since you're already familiar with a lot of it, it would be an excellent place to start before going into the pre-reform works.

I have discovered that the International School studies Vulcan's entire history, not just post-reform society. We'll also be reviewing much of the art and culture from earlier. There’s more of a focus on that here compared to the traditional Vulcan curriculum, in addition to standard Federation history and cultural Curriculum requirements. This is interesting.

I'm sorry that things are more hands-on here. We actually get to go to the Vulcan botanical gardens once a week. I sent an email yesterday to Commander Sulu regarding my botany research project. Unfortunately, I had to send it to his work email because I lost his personal email. Can you please make sure he responds?

We got your paper. I'm not allowed to read it, which is entirely unfair. The ambassador is not happy. The official version of what happened the day of the cataclysm has a very anti-Romulan focus. Which makes sense, considering how I'm treated by most Vulcans. Gina's girlfriend is one of the few non-relative Vulcans that has been nice to me. Being in a same-sex relationship with a human means she's more open-minded than many of her contemporaries because she's dealt with much discrimination herself.

 

No, we did not have counseling services at the previous school. I am unsure if any would use them if it was an available resource. However, I refuse to be anything like those individuals and acknowledge that I might need outside assistance to work through my traumatic experiences.

I mentioned your suggestion to the ambassador. He is going to talk to Dr. Suarez to see if there’s anybody who can work with young Vulcans. The new school has a staff psychologist, but the ambassador wants to check with Dr. Suarez before I see her. My foster father is very protective of me.

Anyway, right back when you get a chance. Also, I’m planning to write Josephine next.
Xxx
From: Kevin KR
To: Peter_K; kitten_loverJJMU
Time arrived: 1/29/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from intern hell

Greetings from Discovery. I miss all of you. Sorry, I’m writing you both together. The first week of being an intern is intense. Classes prepare you for ship life less than they should. I was warned about that by Liz and Jim, but I had to see it for myself. You two will be in a much better position than me because you're growing up on Enterprise and have already seen a lot of stuff.

My boss is OK, although he expects us to know everything already and doesn't bother to explain anything. Thankfully a few of the people on the team are more accommodating. Kelly used to work on Enterprise, so she feels it's her job to watch out for her favorite captain’s brother. It’s nice to have one person who doesn't hold being Jim Kirk’s brother against me.

I do not like my roommates at all. They're not happy sharing their room with a Legacy brat when they had to earn their place and Starfleet. It got worse after the admiral decided to contact me herself. I am never living that one down.

Sorry for the ranting, but I can say these to you and Josephine and not necessarily to my big brother or girlfriend because they would intervene. The two of you will just let me vent. That's what I need.

So how are classes going? Is it much better now that Chris three is gone? I hope nobody is taking his place as the class asshole.

Also, how's the rest of the family? I'm still waiting for a response from my brother, although that's my fault since I told him not to rapid message me. I'm still waiting to hear from Liz directly. Hopefully, those messages will get here soon. All the other people around me have gotten letters from home, but I haven’t. I wonder if that’s connected to Jim’s special encryption. Probably.

Xxxx
From: Peter_K
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
Time sent: 1/29/2261 19:07:01
Subject: Glad things continue to not be horrible
Write to your brother first, but there's a good chance that your letter to Josephine has already been sent out by the time you get this email. But if you move him up in rotation, that would be wonderful. He was a little sad that you wrote to the commander first. Although it was for schoolwork, so he understands.

Because you wrote to Sulu's work email, it got to him almost in real time. The delays in personal emails are super ridiculous. I know they want to be cautious with personal emails after the Vengeance screwup. Now people only get letters from their family once or twice a month when they got messages nearly daily. Or maybe that's just Enterprise because we were the ones active in the conspiracy. It seems that way from Kevin's letter. All his roommates have received messages from home, but he hasn't. I got a letter from him today. OK, me and Josephine got a letter together, and technically she's the one who's responding to him. I better text her to ask for clarification.

OK, I'm done. Josephine also says hi and can't wait to hear from you. I haven’t been telling her too much of what’s in your letters because I don't know what you want me to say to her. I'm sure you will tell her what you want her to know yourself.

I am sure Dr. Suarez will give Grandpa excellent recommendations. There's nothing wrong with seeing a therapist. I see one a lot, as I mentioned before. Although Dr. Margarita thinks I can go down to once a week soon. When I got here, I saw her three times a week. So two is already an improvement. However, because I could visit grandpa and deal with Uncle Spock’s away mission without freaking out, she thinks I’m ready to step down. Although I have to keep writing in my therapy journal. :-(

I’m so jealous you get to go back to the gardens. Also, you're getting to look at more Vulcan culture in history. Can you send me the curriculum? I would love to learn this stuff too. We’re doing the standard universal Federation curriculum, and it's a little dry. The extra Vulcan culture stuff we did in preparation for our field trip was the most exciting part. Now we're returning to the usual stuff, and I hate it.

Thanks for the recommendation list. Also, thank you for including some of the files. Uncle Spock is tracking down everything not included. There's a lot of stuff on your list that he still needs to watch.

Spock thinks his dad is familiar with Earth culture because of his time as an ambassador. Studying the culture of a planet you're working with is very important. This includes viewing the pop culture materials in the dossiers whenever possible.

Uncle Jim added that it was common after first contacts to do cultural exchanges with other planets. There are several Earth adaptations of classic Vulcan literature from the late 21st century and early 22st-century. Uncle Spock is also tracking down some of the stuff for me, but only the things without xenophobic undertones. Apparently, there was a lot of that, too, which doesn't surprise me after the great "Winter" Break research project.

I'm sorry you couldn't actually read the report. My uncles take classified material very seriously. Some of my essay is classified, or at least it is now. Whoops. But eventually, you'll be able to get answers to your questions. I hope so, anyway. I suggest talking with Granddad about it.

I hope things stay non-chaotic in school and things get less boring here. There’s talk of a kids’ rec room getting put in during the repairs next month, so we'll see how that goes. There's also talk of a fun field trip. We will see.

Xxxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Kevin KR
cc: Peter_K
Time sent: 1/29/2261 20:08:31
Subject: Greetings from junior high hell
We are not surprised that you’re getting emails late when nobody else really is. Peter was already wondering if it was just an Enterprise thing. The cousin emailed Sulu on his work account one day earlier. The message arrived four days earlier than the one she wrote to Peter. You should talk to the mother-in-law about the next time she rapid messages you. You really should’ve just messaged your girlfriend. During fencing practice, I heard from Mr. Sulu that she is very annoyed with you. I think that’s because she misses you.

You had to listen to me and Peter vent about everything for the last year. You deserve the same courtesy. I promise we won’t say anything to Uncle Jim unless it hits the "we must tell an adult about this" threshold. It’s a high threshold, which means you’re either a danger to yourself or others.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with idiots. Before, people were mean to me at school because the judge pretty much owned the town. Some people assumed I ended up at the top private school in Georgia because the judge bought my way in. Not that I worked my butt off to meet the admissions criteria. My biological mom said people said the same thing about her when she got into the law programs at Vanderbilt and Emory. I’m sure my aunt had similar experiences when she got into Columbia. Anyway, I was told that they were all jealous idiots and you should ignore them. It was one of my biological mother's better pieces of advice. She had them occasionally when sober. Which, of course, was a rare thing.

We are slowly getting back into the swing of classes. No one has taken over as school asshole yet. But we might pick up a few more kids soon. Mom hasn't said anything, but I would be shocked if Scotty is the only crew member we pick up during repairs.

I'm glad you have at least one person watching your back. And maybe you will have more eventually. If you had told me 11 months ago that I would be friends with all the Ashleys, I would've called you a liar. And yet I adore all of them, even Ashley one. Although we are more acquaintances than friends. Ashley two and three are definitely good friends. It just took me time to cultivate those friendships. You have five more months to make friends. You'll get there unless you're in a Hamilton situation. But I feel like your captain wouldn’t put up with that. I hope that’s the case anyway.

So far, everything is going fine. OK, an Ensign lost a hand on an away mission due to carnivorous plants, but that was the only injury. And none of your family was on that mission. Although your brother plans to spend some quality time on a few moons. I think he purposely selected the boring assignments. Who knows with that couple. Anyway, we'll see you in five months. We will be counting down the days. Hopefully, things will start to move fast.
To be continued...

Chapter 160: Day 349: Your sister is a wedding-planning menace

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of conversations. You are so wonderful. I truly appreciate every bit of feedback. Also, thank you for your kind words regarding my mother’s passing. I really appreciated it. It’s been a hard couple of weeks, but I am working through it.

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan

To: SuluHG2260

Time arrived: 2/01/2261 00:00:01

Subject: Greetings from Yorktown. Your sister is a wedding-planning menace.

Hey, I just survived my first week on Yorktown. It wasn’t horrible. Although considering how awful my last assignment was, I have extremely low standards. This primarily consists of colleagues not actively participating in a conspiracy to kill me. You would think I wouldn’t worry about that, but Spock did have a mini coup d’état last month. I am glad that happened once I was off the ship. That would’ve triggered flashbacks. I am so happy that the morons planning it on Enterprise were incompetent. They really did get a teenager involved – idiots.

Time on Yorktown has been good. I miss you, but I adore quality baby time and having my wine buddy back. The girls love sharing a room. They have princess beds and adore them. We put them in the master because there’s more space for a play area. My mom snuck in another suitcase full of toys. I don’t even know how but the girls have so much stuff. Also, somehow my rocking chair ended up here. I love that rocking chair. I usually hate when my mom pulls strings, but I'm okay with this.

I regret that Liz cannot regularly babysit because she's preferable to Ben’s former mother-in-law. I don't think she likes me very well. It's probably the poly thing. I think she's afraid I will steal you from her pseudo-son. She doesn't understand that I adore Ben and deeply regret him being super gay. Although, at least he has voyeuristic tendencies and enjoys watching you have fun. Fun was definitely had on New Vulcan, especially after visiting some of the local shops. I got some toys to help deal with the next six months. I still won't send pictures because I'm positive my mom is reading these emails, Jim Kirk's encryption notwithstanding.

I have yet to meet many new people here. Maybe it’s because work has been crazy. I am learning a completely different job. Although Liz is dragging me to Starfleet happy hour today. That might go really badly.

So, how’s Enterprise? I miss you guys. How is everyone? Even though I wasn't there that long, I made a lot of friends. Your ship is so much nicer. Less backstabbing, at least. The baby coup d’état notwithstanding.

You should know your sister put us through wedding Boot Camp on the flight to Yorktown. We even picked out dresses and suits. Yes, we went with your color scheme. You are going to have an absolutely fabulous suit. I almost decided to get a suit myself but finally went with a dress.

However, we decided baby K was getting a flower girl suit instead of a dress. Katie bear likes to take her dresses off, and we think it might be harder to do that in a suit. Do you want your stepdaughter to streak at your wedding? I don’t think so. We'll try to have Desi in a dress, but we're ordering a suit for her just in case. It will be adorable.

After much lobbying from your sister, your nieces will be the ring girls. We don't want to deal with the babies trying to eat the rings. Your sister says nobody under five should be the ring person. Apparently, she has stories. Most of them are trying to get a diamond ring out of a toddler's stomach. Let's not have Dr. McCoy work on your wedding. Also, you should spend your wedding night in the honeymoon Suite at Hotel Yorktown with your new husband. Not dealing with a toddler in sick bay. We should avoid that.

Yes, I have already booked a honeymoon suite for you. No, I won’t be joining you, at least not the first night. I’ll be with the girls. You deserve one night all alone after your wedding.

We have an entire block of rooms in that hotel for the non-Starfleet family members: your parents, your oldest sister’s family, and Zoe. Did you and Ben decide to do a Starbase wedding just so you could avoid the extended Sulu family? I'm not even sure if your grandparents are coming. The travel might be too hard. I'm told we will have to live stream for them. Your sister has already made arrangements.

Liz’s friend Lena is also coming. She’s Josephine’s aunt and Jim's lawyer. I don't know if she counts as an outside guest. Although Ben likes her because she provided sound legal advice on how to deal with Mr. Johnson.

Anyway, look at all the wedding notes and let me know if there's something you really don't like. We still have time to change it, but I was told to let you know that all decisions must be locked in by the end of February. It takes longer to get things when you have to ship them to a remote star base.

The menu is still in flux, and we're trying to finalize the caterer, which will most likely be the hotel. The plan, for now, is no traditional hors d’oeuvres, but we are getting a chocolate fountain. Is that going to be a problem for some of our guests? I know alcohol is an issue for some, so we didn't go with the champagne fountain or open bar. But I also saw Spock’s foster sister trip on chocolate-covered Oreos at Christmas. That was interesting. It also left me with concerns.

PS: Do you want a bachelor party or bridal shower? Or I could combine the two: gifts of lingerie and strippers.
Xxxx
From: SuluHG2260

To: Mommy_Susan

Time sent: 2/01/2261 22:03:01

Subject: Re: Greetings from Yorktown. Your sister is a wedding-planning menace.

I vote for a combo party. Will we be having a party together or separately? If Winona comes, it will have to be a dry party. Which is not my preference. However, I know Ben would like to have his friend there, especially if she is his best person. This means we need to keep her sober for the sake of the wedding.

Speaking of sobriety, I don't think Spock's sister realized she would react that way to the chocolate. She thought she would have a minor reaction because she's a hybrid like Spock. Unfortunately, she did not realize that a Vulcan Romulan hybrid is different from a Vulcan human hybrid regarding chocolate. I'm sure it would be easy to keep all underage Vulcans away from the chocolate fountain.

I’m more worried about the toddlers. Do we really want to risk our toddlers with a chocolate fountain? You know what they did to the birthday cake at the not really a birthday party. They'll be six months older, but that's not enough time to get them out of their cake-diving habit. You know that’s going to translate to a chocolate fountain. I will write my sister and see what safety precautions she's taking to prevent that. I hope it involves a force field. If not, I’m going to have to veto the chocolate fountain.

I absolutely agree that you should go with flower girl suits. It's safer that way. No, I do not want streaking at the wedding, and it is much easier for Katie bear to get a dress off. At least with pants, we have a higher chance of stopping her before she is completely naked.

Also, good call on the nieces being in charge of the ring. I do not want to spend my honeymoon in sickbay because one of our children decided that wedding rings are tasty.

I've been looking at rings, and I found the perfect one. I'm sending it to you. Please don't show Ben yet; I want it to be a surprise. I'm sending you a picture of it in three days, so you'll get this letter first.

I made arrangements with Lena to pick mine up. I want it to be a surprise for Ben. I didn’t want to risk Liz bringing it up early and hiding it for six months. Lena has also helped me with some legal stuff, so I trust her. Mostly related to the unauthorized likeness lawsuit. I’m just grateful I don’t have a sex toy yet.

I looked at the dresses chosen, and I loved everything. Also, good choice on the suit. Did you decide that, or did Ben? You are both better at this sort of thing than me.

We decided that a starbase wedding would work better because Ben will already be there. Also, it's easier for Enterprise to get to a star base than for me to get leave back to Earth. Also, I didn’t want to wait five years for my wedding. Especially if ship Family assignments become a thing again. I want to be with you guys as soon as possible. I would love it if that would be in fewer than five years, but we’ll see how that goes. There might still be a minimum age limit.

The fact that most of the extended family will be live streaming the wedding is a bonus. Honestly, it's preferable. I've got some not-so-nice emails from the part of the family that hates me since mom emailed everybody about the engagement. Have you gotten any of those emails? I really regret not having those addresses blocked. They are blocked now, and Jim added extra filters.

I'm glad your new job is better than your old one, even if it's marginally so. Although I am sure everything's better now that you have your people with you. I know Enterprise is more fun with you here. I miss having someone to come home to. Yes, I have friends, but I see them less because work has been weird and busy.

I got to lead an away mission recently. Unfortunately, it was on a planet with primarily carnivorous plants. Why was this not picked up during the early scouting missions? Were things kept out of the report on purpose? We almost had a Prime directive violation on the other planet that could support life. We barely avoided screwing that up.

Thankfully nobody died on my mission. Unfortunately, an ensign lost a hand. I have discovered another instance where fencing became a valuable skill. It helped me save my team member's life. Although I'm never telling my mom that because she was the one who forced me to do eight years of fencing when I would’ve preferred something cooler. My mom wanted to avoid traditional Asian stereotypes related to martial arts, so she chose fencing. I know your mom did that, too, but at least you got to do Brazilian jujitsu.

You think we would've left the planet after someone lost a hand, but we had to return to get plant samples. We mostly used robots after that. I hope my lab doesn't become a 23rd-century remake of Little shop of horrors.

Anyway, we’re back to really boring moons. Jim is leading those missions. He is bored and deeply regrets agreeing to go down on this mission. At least it’s day trips. I actually had to spend 3 days in a tent. Don't worry, we were very far from the carnivorous plants at that point.

Anyway, I hope you had a fabulous happy hour. Please tell me the food is good. I'm okay with going with the hotel, but have you looked into other options? I know from my own letter from my sister that she was going to try a few of the restaurants while she was on Yorktown to see who would be best for the wedding. Or were they all horrible, and that's why you're going with the hotel? I was surprised that there were options.

Anyway, give my love to Ben always. I miss you both so much. Keep writing and sending pictures. The next part is for the girls.

 

Dear babies:

Hey babies. I miss both of you. I hope you’re being good for mom and dad. Also, make sure you visit Aunt Liz more because she misses you. Be good for grandma three.

So what have you been doing on Starbase? Hopefully not terrorizing everybody. Do you like being all together? Are you happy mommy is back? Anyway, I miss you guys. Love you, and I’ll see you again in a couple of months.

To be continued…

Chapter 161: Day 351: How to Talk to Your Mom as an Adult

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or left kudos for the last chapter. I adore all of it.
Sorry this is late. I was so busy yesterday that I literally forgot to even turn on my computer. I’m just now returning back to work full-time, so it’s an adjustment.

Chapter Text

From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 2/03/2260 00:00:01
Subject: Happy New Year

I already think 2261 will be a better year for me. I'm already looking forward to not teaching classes next semester. That already makes things better. However, even last year was an improvement on 2059. That was not a good year for anyone. And let's not even talk about the year before that. Let's be honest; everything from 2258 to now has been a little blurry due to high quantities of tragedy and chaos, with the best thing being you adopting Josephine.

The wine country trip was lovely, and I feel completely relaxed for the first time in about four years. It was a good trip where I drank lots of good wine and had the best food. I love actual farm-to-table restaurants without a single replicator in sight.

Expect some very nice bottles of wine and other goodies when you receive your next care package. I plan to have something waiting for you when you arrive at your Starbase in February. Hopefully, you'll see this message before then.

It was also good to be with my friends away from work for a while. Sasha came with her new husband. I hadn't seen them since three assignments ago when they were still dancing around one another. They purposely planned their shore leave to spend time with me. They surprised me with a spa day.

It helped me decompress after Kobayashi Maru hell.
The process was messy, but the plans to sabotage the new course failed miserably. Yes, a bad teacher was chosen on purpose. Unfortunately, I'm not able to give you more details. Of course, the oversight committee is more concerned about Liz passing the Kobayashi Maru than that.

I've spent too much time in meetings talking about Liz's surprise performance. The fact that the head of Starfleet's daughter was the only one who could pass the new test has raised some concerns. Her fiancé is the brother-in-law of the guy who made the exam, and the brother of the other guy who passed it raised more questions. I am still dealing with all of it. It's probably best that Elizabeth Chen is at Yorktown this semester. Also, the big boss chose the best time to do some inspections elsewhere.

I am glad I was nowhere near San Francisco when your father’s wedding went down or was supposed to go down. I’m sure by now you know that you don’t have a new stepmom. That’s what happens when you catch your future husband getting fellatio from your maid of honor and now former best friend an hour before the ceremony. I got all the details from your cousin, but I initially found out from the Starfleet rumor mill because the Starfleet rumor mill is undefeated. Per the video, I saw the almost-bride smack him in the head with her ring when she threw it back at him.

Is it tacky for me to send my almost replacement a "congratulations, you dodged a bullet" bottle of wine? I feel like she deserves it. She is definitely smarter than me. Although I didn’t catch him sleeping around until later with the now ex-fiancé. What goes around comes around, or so the old saying goes.

You probably didn't want to hear all these details from your mother, but better me than the rumor mill. You're not a little kid anymore, and you deserve to know the truth.

I'm glad Josephine is using all the art supplies well. Thank you for more snapshots of her work. She is outstanding, and I'm happy I'm helping to foster her creativity. There are more art supplies in the care package as well. Not just paints but also some beads and other supplies to make jewelry. We ran into an art boutique in wine country, and I just had to pick up a few things. I thought Josephine might want to try a different medium.

I understand why you didn't think about planning a video call for December. You were incredibly busy, especially with the Hamilton investigation, before getting ready for the New Vulcan system expiration project. I completely forgot about even suggesting it myself because finals were so chaotic. February works better, anyway. Things don't start to get messy until midterms. I'm hoping the Kobayashi Maru meetings will be over by then. Even if things were quiet by that point, I would always make time to see you and my precious grandbaby. I adore you so much.

So, how are things on the ship going right now? How did your stint as an acting captain go? Did it make you want to consider going back and doing the command track? You know there's an accelerated program for existing officers from other tracks. What are you working on right now? How is Enterprise life? I'm sure so much better than Academy life. Part of me misses being out there, but I think it's essential to make the Academy a better place.

Have you started working with Admiral Pike on the curriculum project? I haven’t heard anything about that yet. However, I’m grateful that you’re willing to help with the overhaul of the communications department. We’re definitely going to need it. What happened on the Hamilton was even messier than I thought it was. We have to do everything possible to keep that from happening again.

Anyway, thank you for more pictures. I love everything from New Vulcan. Several are now posted in my office. I look forward to your next letter and adding more to the collection.
Xxxxx
From: NyotaUM
To: MomOU
time sent: 2/03/2261 13:32:01
Subject: Re: Happy New Year

I'm glad you had a great vacation, and I look forward to my care package. We have about two more weeks before we make our way to a Starbase for repairs and minor renovations. I'm sure I can find some time to have a live video chat. Although the kids will be having a tour of the embassies on base, followed by a day of quality amusement park time. They deserve it, mainly because there won't be another break until summer for the wedding on Yorktown. Unfortunately, some of us might have to stay on the ship that day. It depends on if there's an assignment that sends us to Yorktown or if some of us are just taking shore leave for the wedding.

No matter what, we will make time. Josephine really wants to thank you in person (virtually) for everything. She’s working on a painting just for you in addition to what she already sent you for Christmas. I hope you have received that by now. I know Adm. Chen got back to Earth about a week ago. We sent all the Christmas gifts with her. Josephine wants to send you another painting during our break. I will send you pictures of it. I will send you an email to your Starfleet account to work out the logistics of getting the physical copy.

The last few weeks on the ship have been exciting. We discovered an entirely new culture during our explorations. We're currently working on understanding their language. I have been spending quality time with the universal translator algorithm. I think I've made some progress, but we'll probably need more recordings. I’m sure I will be able to get some soon. I’m just happy to actually get my hands on the new language. This is the part of my job I love.

I enjoy discovering new languages and cultures more than actually being in charge. I have no desire to go back and take the accelerated command course. I can cover when everybody else is away, but I have no desire to do this continuously. I was very grateful when Spock arrived, and I could give him back his ship. And it wasn’t just because I had to deal with a small attempted coup d’état. However, that was a contributing factor.

Besides, Leonard and I will have fewer difficulties with the two-body problem this way. It probably helps that my partner is OK with not being a chief medical officer on his next assignment. However, he would prefer to be around to keep Jim from going into anaphylaxis. He doesn't trust any other physician with his BFF, even the others on the team.

It's OK for you to tell me details about the wedding that didn't happen. Primarily because I've already heard much worse. The Enterprise rumor mill is the best of the best of Starfleet rumor mills. I even got my hands on the video footage. One of my team members had an aunt at the wedding and was kind enough to send me her videos before most of the ship found out. Although most people know that I hate my father, so they avoid mentioning it in front of me. Which I appreciate.

No, I don't think it's tacky to send her wine, especially if it's good wine. Although maybe not include a card. And definitely don't say I told you so. Mainly because she lost a friend in all of this. Losing a long-term friend can hurt a lot more than losing the guy. I know I did the right thing in cutting Christine off, but I miss her sometimes.

Anyway, I have to ask if you're planning to come to visit in the summer. We would love to see you. I think the semester is just ending when the wedding occurs, or initially when it was. That might change. It was going to be around their daughter’s birthday, but our boss may have other plans. That's why I'm uncertain who's even going to be able to go to the wedding now. I'm not sure Adm. Chen will be able to interfere. People are looking at her closely because Liz beat the Kobayashi Maru.

I'm not even surprised there are meetings about Liz. I know Loki unsuccessfully tried to send Liz to judiciaries. There were a few conference calls, per Spock. Although they stopped once, we were dealing with the mini coup d'état. I'm sure you read the details on that.

Anyway, I have to cut this short. My captain's husband just ended up in sick bay because only Jim Kirk can get hurt on a moon. I need to go calm him down. I really should try not to write personal letters during working hours.

 

To be continued

Chapter 162: Day 353: Please Ignore All Idiots

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all wonderful.

Chapter Text

From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Time arrived: 2/05/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for coming to visit.
Thank you for coming to visit. It was nice to have another cousin, or really any cousins at all. I really didn't have a lot of family before. My parents weren't on speaking terms with their family before the implosion of Vulcan. Anyone who remained afterward believed it was safer for me to avoid contact with them. That is why I became a ward of the Vulcan government.

I understand their position. I would have suffered significantly on Romulus. Worse than what I did in the New Vulcan child welfare system. The ambassador is my sixth foster parent and the only one who has treated me with respect or compassion. This is also the only placement that has lasted more than a few weeks. The other children in those houses disliked me, so I was asked to leave. I spent most of my time in group homes.

Did Peter tell you that I must do at least two weekly letters to various people? Earlier this week, I wrote to Commander Sulu related to a class project. We are going to create a garden for the school with various plants originally indigenous to Vulcan. Most of which are types of succulents or cacti. Because I’m fascinated with the rose garden at home, I wanted to select flowers that bloom. The commander gave me a list of a few plants but told me to contact my foster brother for additional suggestions since he's more familiar with traditional Vulcan flora. I will do a web search instead. I do not want to bother the captain.

Or I could just have my partner do it. Her parents are research scientists temporarily assigned to the New Vulcan colony through a partnership with the VSA. They are private sector, not Starfleet. I think they may have worked for the same company that Peter’s mom did, but I didn’t want to ask in my last letter. I know it is hard for Peter to talk about his mom.

Anyway, Kalista is nice. She is one of the other non-human or Vulcan students in class. She decided we had to stick together. She is also adopted, so we have that in common. Technically, I'm still just a foster child. The ambassador could always send me back. Everyone else did.

Anyway, what have you been doing? I received a few pictures of fencing class from Peter but not much else. I also heard about your paper but was not allowed to read it. I am still sad about that.
Xxxx
From: Kevin KR
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time sent: 02/05/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I did, and they are still annoying the hell out of me.

Hey, sorry I didn't email earlier. Intern life is busy. Also, it's difficult to find a moment to dictate this letter in peace with multiple roommates. I deeply regret not taking the admiral's offer to have a room alone.

Unfortunately, I am well aware of the Pike rumors. Both sets of Pike rumors. They mainly involve sexual favors for grades and being their sugar baby. I didn’t want to tell you this, but you should know that there's a rumor about you being the father of Nhi's babies. It got worse when people found out mom moved to London to help her with the Twins. Silver lining, the rumor mill doesn't know about your fertility issues. I’m trying to decide if it’s better for them to be spreading ridiculous lies or painful truths. Unfortunately, I realize most of my colleagues can’t tell the difference.

We are definitely not eloping. Mom will kill me if she's not at the wedding. The admiral would help her hide the body. Winona was already mad about missing your first wedding. Good thing the ambassador convinced her that the actual wedding was the ceremony on New Vulcan. I think that might have helped her be less hostile to your husband. I definitely felt like they were on better terms at Christmas.

Yorktown is not happening, either. We are not taking that day away from the Sulus because they are Family. And I don't think we can plan a wedding right now anyway. Although Sulu's sister did try.

Due to her meddling, we agree with the philosophy of a small wedding and a big party later. We just have to figure out how to get you for the wedding when we have it. I'm not getting married without you. Sorry for being a brat about your marriage. I had things I needed to work out and took them out on your husband. I was wrong. I’ll do better.

I acknowledge I probably should have contacted my girlfriend directly. Especially because getting yelled at by my future mother-in-law in front of my roommates was the alternative. The idiot roommates like me even less if such a thing were possible. They still think I’m sleeping with her, but now I apparently have a humiliation kink. Seriously what is wrong with them?

They still don’t believe I’m actually competent even though I’m doing so much better than them. They think I haven't been yelled at by our boss because of nepotism, not that I actually know what I'm doing. Idiots, all of them.

It’s not all horrible. I’ve discovered the former Enterprise contingent on Discovery. I like the people there, who are more competent than the interns who hate me. So at least there's that. I will try to focus on the good and not the bad things, like having very few friends and really missing my girlfriend and my niece.

I don’t want to be on a mission without Liz again. I'm miserable without her and the letters are not enough. Although I still expect more letters from you, along with pictures of my nephew.

PS: I heard about the infamous school paper. Do I have a clearance high enough to read it?
X
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
Time arrived: 2/05/2261 20:32:01
subject: Ship Life Is Boring without You.

That would be because not much else is going on for us kids. The adults have been busy. We've run into Fraggles, Ensign-eating plants, and invisible rocks. Uncle Jim was the one who found that out the hard way and ended up breaking his left leg when he tripped over one of them a few days ago. Thankfully it was a clean break. Dad already took care of most of it. However, Uncle Jim is on light duty for a few days. This will mostly be him working on the plans for our new kid’s recreation room.

Unfortunately, Peter has gone back into clingy koala bear mode. He was doing so well, but seeing his uncle in sickbay freaked him out a little. He doesn't like it there. Probably because that's where his mom died. He doesn't even want to go with me when I'd visit my dad. I get it, though.

Uncle Spock wants you to bother him. You could've asked him during his call with grandpa today. Uncle Spock needed the distraction because he is worried about his husband. I mean, it was just a broken leg, and it wasn't Uncle Jim’s fault that even the sensors missed the invisible rocks. Frequency issues. At least, that's the explanation I got.

Although I wonder if something else is going on. This information should have been in the preliminary reports, but it wasn’t. That’s happened several times during this mission.

You know Uncle Spock is not like most of your other foster siblings. He really cares about you. Your picture is up in his quarters here. He’s actually sad he hasn’t heard from you.

Uncle Spock gave me a list of what plants you should plant. He checked to see if the Vulcan Botanical Gardens had samples, and they do for most of them. He suggests you talk to grandpa and see if you can plant a garden at home. He is going to help the Enterprise kids do their own garden in botany. Which is honestly the most exciting school project we have had since leaving New Vulcan.

We all miss you. You fit perfectly in our little group, and we're sad you couldn't come and do school with us. Unfortunately, something super bad would have to happen before you end up here, and I think you like grandpa and want to stay with him.

BTW you're only still a foster child because grandpa can't adopt you for another year per the current laws on the books. It might have something to do with those relations that decided it's better that you not contact them. Technically you do have a family; they're just assholes. Liz had that happen to her, Kevin too. Thankfully they ended up where they needed to be. You will too.

I heard that school is going better for you, and I feel like that's the case. You have classmates you're hanging out with, at least, which is definitely an improvement on the Vulcan school system. Although since they were really abusive, it wouldn't be that hard to be an improvement.

Group projects can sometimes be fun and occasionally awful. We're doing a new one, and I'm working with Reyes and Chris one. Which happens to be the classmates I interact with the least, which might be why we're working together. We're still trying to decide what our subject is going to be. It has to be related to Federation history or government. That’s such a large area to choose from. They're coming over for breakfast tomorrow to discuss. We will see how that goes.

Other than schoolwork, I've been doing a lot of art. I have been doing a series of paintings of grandpa’s Rose Garden. I just love the flowers. Roses in the desert just seems like an interesting subject, anyway. Apparently, Spock’s mom spent decades creating a rose for the desert. Thankfully she gave several cuts to various off planet Botanical gardens. One of which was gifted to grandfather.

Mom said I can send you some of my paintings too. We were already planning to send one to grandma at the starbase. However, in your case, I think I can send it back with the team. We drop them off in a week. However, I don't know if we're actually going to New Vulcan for the drop-off. There might be a shuttle coming here again. I don’t know the logistics.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and we're actually going to New Vulcan, and we can sneak down to see you. I doubt that will happen, but I wish it would.

 

XXXX
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Kevin KR
Time sent: 02/05/2261 22:34:01
Subject: Acknowledge that the only person you can live with at this point is Liz

I absolutely respect your desire never to be without your girlfriend. I don’t like being without Spock, either, even if it's just for a few days at a time. Also, at this point in my relationship, I'm willing to acknowledge that he's the only person I can live with that isn’t Peter or you. I think you’re getting that way with Liz.

Although Spock and I can’t go on non-diplomatic away missions together anymore because of Peter. So that does mean some time apart. At least not the ones that can potentially be dangerous. Considering I ended up in med bay when leading a team to a barren moon, I realize it's impossible to know which missions are actually dangerous.

I am fine. I just broke my leg because I tripped over the invisible moon rocks. Don't ask. It's just one of those weird things that happens when you're in Starfleet. We discovered a compound that is invisible to the naked eye and our sensor equipment.

Thanks to modern medicine and my BFF being a miracle worker, I am mostly recovered and will be back on bridge duty in a few days. This is good because I can only spend so much time designing the kids' new rec room. Although, no away missions for a few more weeks.

Yes, we discovered invisible rocks. The science team is having too much fun figuring out how that's possible. They already have a bunch of ideas related to cloaking technology. Even Honeybear is salivating at the scientific possibilities. I'm grateful because that has him distracted. He would be in the room all the time otherwise. At least this time, he's checking on the Science Team. Let's just put it this way: I'm glad his dad called, so he had somebody to vent to. My Vulcan bear is high-strung right now.

Peter is a little shaky because of what happened as well. I think seeing me in med bay worried him. He really doesn't like that place. That is understandable because that's where his mom died. However, he’s not sleeping in our bed, so I consider that an improvement. Although Dr. Margarita’s plan for him to step down to one session a week is on hold for a little while.

I’m glad that you want me at the wedding. You know I’m going to try my hardest to be there. Worse comes to worst; we can always break out Scotty's special tech. Although that's been more of a break glass in case of an emergency sort of thing.

Maybe you can do a small wedding after graduation. What about a destination wedding on Risa? It’s not eloping if you bring the family with you. I bet we can easily coordinate a Risa shore leave if we know far enough in advance. Your wedding planner wouldn’t have to bring supplies to set up the wedding. There are probably plenty of wedding packages too. I know at least one hotel there specializes in weddings.

Mom sent an apology email to Spock. Yes, I was shocked, but it seemed that she meant it. I also got an email from my father-in-law, which was weird but good. I have not received a reply yet, and I'm not expecting one. My father-in-law is a Vulcan of few words and many grudges.

I'm glad that there are former Enterprise people on your ship that’are looking out for you. Peter told me that much from his letter. Again, don't listen to the roommates. They're obviously idiots if they believe any of the ridiculous rumors.

I am trying to decide how I feel about the Nih rumor. On the one hand, I am glad that it’s not widely known that the Vengeance incident destroyed my sperm count. I've been dealing with many complex emotions regarding being sterile over the last year and a half. I'm starting to make peace with that now that I have Peter. Being a father and being able to have kids are two different things and are not mutually exclusive. I am raising a child. Peter is a pretty good one, and it doesn't matter if I'm not his biological dad.

On the other hand, everybody thinking I'm having sex with one of my good mom figures is a little weird. It would be like people starting sex rumors about us. Don't tell me if those rumors exist because I do not want to know.

OK, honey bun just heard me dictating that and did the weird eyebrow thing. So those rumors probably do exist. For everything the rumor mill gets right, they get many more things horribly wrong. Sometimes I would rather have a painful truth out there than a ridiculous lie. This might be one of those times.

 

The hubby offered to talk to your captain, which would probably be awkward since they are former foster siblings. Actually, I kind of think they should talk anyway. Spock may have been a bit of a brat because he was convinced that daddy dearest liked Michelle better. My hubby is very complicated.

I’m just glad he’s more mature now and won’t be making that mistake with the new little sister.
Just remember this will all be over in June. Then you'll be done with this internship and back with your fiancé. Maybe it will turn around, and the idiots will get a clue. Or perhaps they'll all blow up in engineering, and you'll get new roommates. One can hope.

Anyway, pictures are attached. Most of Josephine's art. The kids are sad that casts are no longer a thing because they all wanted to sign my leg. I think Josephine wants to do an entire landscape if allowed. I don’t even know how they knew about casts. Maybe someone went over the medical history chapter in their daddy’s textbooks.

Anyway. Miss you, and stay safe out there. Avoid all invisible rocks. And the visible ones too.

PS: Yes, you have a high enough security clearance to read the paper. Your clearance is as high as mine, which is weird for a Cadet. But it's probably related to Tarsus. Chances are you’ve already received an encrypted copy from the husband on your work account. You know the protocols.

Only my child would write a paper that we have to classify like this. Mostly to keep in the good graces of the New Vulcan government. This is not flattering at all for them.

To be continued…

Chapter 163: Day 355: The father-in-law check-in

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are all so wonderful. I truly appreciate all your encouragement. It’s been a hard couple of months for me. This is the last chapter pre-written before surgery and my mother’s death. I’m sorry this is a week late. I wanted to have at least one new check section done before posting this.

Chapter Text

From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_ Sarek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 02/07/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Have you recovered from your accident?
I apologize for not emailing you again sooner. I saw no need because of my bimonthly chats with Spock. Especially while the Enterprise is within close proximity to the colony. However, you missed the most recent calls due to your medical incapacitation.

I am so sorry that you hurt yourself during your moon exploration. My son was very concerned, even though it was a simple fracture. I feel he gets that from Amanda; she would always worry if anything happened to Spock or me.

I hope you have a swift recovery. I am also interested in learning more about the rock that you tripped over. I decided it was in my best interest not to ask Spock additional questions about the accident. He dislikes when you’re in pain or in danger.

Yes, I will keep an eye on my eldest child. I'm well aware that Spock should not be alone for long periods, any Spock. We are planning to invite him to dinner at least once a week. I did not consider asking him to join us on the embassy project, but we could benefit from his expertise. If his medical team clears his travel, of course.

In the interim, we will see you when the Enterprise team drops off the VSA science team. Is that departure still on schedule? Or did your accident adjust the timetable? Spock did not mention that happening during our coordinating call, but sometimes things need to be adjusted.

I am certain Spock and Peter have informed you, but things are still going well at the international school. I already attended my first PTA meeting yesterday. I find these parents significantly more tolerable than those in the traditional Vulcan school system. Amanda used to give me chocolate laced coffee whenever we were forced to mingle with other parents when Spock was in school. I am realizing it was easier to interact with other people with her present.

The situation may be better with the international school parents because several are diplomats like myself. Other planets are starting to send representatives to the colony now that most of the infrastructure for the settlement is in place. “Embassy row” should be finalized within the next year. However, the first cohort of delegates has arrived; their children are at the international school. It did help that somebody brought chocolate chip cookies. I will bring good lemon bars next time.

After consulting Dr. Suarez, I have decided that Saavik will begin seeing the school psychologist once a week. After corresponding with Peter, Saavik felt that she would benefit from speaking with somebody that is not a family member.
We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. I hope you will be fully recovered by then.
Xxx
Spock arrived at the breakfast table to see his husband reading an email from Spock's father. Peter had already left to have breakfast with his friends in the cafeteria. It was a good sign that he was spending time with his friends when not absolutely necessary. He hadn't been doing a lot of that since the accident.

“Did you freak out to your dad when I was in medical bay?” James asked his husband as he looked up from his PADD. “I know about your regular call but was there more than one call?" Now Spock was profoundly regretting his father not BCCing him. He wondered what the Vulcan wrote his husband.

“Yes. I had to coordinate the return of the VSA scientists, and he is my intermediary with the Academy.” Spock explained.

“I’m sure that’s what happened.” James sounded skeptical.

“I did not freak out. I was just concerned.”

“I knew you were. But I wasn't that hurt."

"You lost consciousness because you hit your head." Spock retorted.

“For like a minute. I am completely better right now. I even get to do bridge duty today.” Spock would have preferred for James to stay on light duty for another day, but he was already cleared by Dr. McCoy to come back.

“I dislike when you are injured or in medical.”

“I know.” James caressed his hand. “Especially after I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital almost 2 years ago.”

“I would like you to avoid a repeat of that.”

“I am trying, which is why I took the least dangerous away mission option, and I still ended up tripping over a rock. An actual rock.”

“Made out of a compound that can reflect the images around it and essentially cloak itself. It was not your fault.”

"I'm glad you have a better idea of what happened out there. I bet the science team is loving that."

“They are. There's a separate team on that moon taking additional samples. Another team will check one of the other moons to see if the rocks are made of a similar compound. Thankfully, we adjusted the sensors, and they can now detect the rock formations.” Spock explained.

 

“At least we found something fun, and no one else will hurt themselves trying to find out more. Are we staying on schedule?" James asked.

“Yes, we will drop the VSA team members off on the morning of February 13. We will stay in orbit for the next two days for meetings on the colony before departing for repairs." James groaned at that. "We will need to be part of the debrief with the Vulcan science team," Spock explained.

“Of course, we’re going to have more meetings.” James sighed. “At least the VSA meetings are almost tolerable. It makes sense we have to do something on the colony. Otherwise, we would just beam the team back and go on our way to repairs.”

“Correct.”

“Although, will we be able to have a fancy dinner alone at one of the good restaurants on Valentine's Day, or are we going to be stuck with diplomatic ass-kissing duty?”

“Our temporary assistant has assured me we will have a private dinner on the 14th.” James smiled at that. “However, we will have breakfast and lunch meetings in addition to the VSA debriefings."

“OK, the new assistant seems less horrible than the last one. I'm looking forward to having Valentine's dinner with you and no kids."

“The last one participated in a conspiracy to have me killed.” Spock pointed out.

“Good point," James said as he returned to his PADD. “You should know I also got a message on the work account from Scotty. The new captain for the Hamilton has arrived. Therefore, he’ll be waiting for us when Enterprise docks. He only needs to stay another week to help with the transition. Most of the treasonous assholes have been filtered out. Half the crew is new, but I'm sure the new captain will appreciate that.” Spock was slightly disappointed that the engineer emailed James directly, but he knew they were friends.

“That is highly likely. Whom did they send?” Although Spock was asked to make a recommendation, he was not informed of the final choice.

“Captain Chin-Riley. Who honestly should be an admiral already, but people are prejudicial assholes.”

“Unfortunately, that is true. Although I feel Admiral Chen will root out such prejudice among the ranks. She did go with my recommendation after all.”

“She'll try a lot more than Marcus did."

“Which was very little,” Spock remarked darkly.

“Actually, I think things went backward when he was in charge of Starfleet.
He did try to start a war with the Klingons," James added.

“He used us to start a war with the Klingons."

"Thankfully, I'm bad at doing what I'm told to do. Outside the bedroom anyway.” James smirked as he leaned over for a kiss.“I deeply regret that we have to go to work right now.”

“You could have another day of light duty.”

“But you won’t be with me.”Jim pouted.

“I feel it necessary to remind you that Peter will be working with Ashley three and Jay on his group project on the history of Federation propaganda and pop culture. He will be gone most of the evening." Spock reminded his husband.

"I look forward to after work. I'll just try to remember to write your dad back at lunch,” Jim said, kissing his husband one last time before leaving.

Xxxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_ Sarek
Time sent: 02/07/2261 23:54:01
Subject: Re: Have you recovered from your accident?

It’s OK. Especially because we do hear from you a lot by other means. I know Spock has been talking to you about work things. Thank you for your well wishes. I'm doing much better now. I'm even back on duty. Because I'm back on duty, I will get to spend quality time with diplomats next week. If I knew that was in the cards, I would have let Bones keep me on light duty for another week.

So the good news is that we are wrapping up close to on time. Even with the new scientific discovery, we are on track to end operations on February 12 and then head back to the New Vulcan colony. We should get there the next day. We'll drop the science team off and then debrief with various department heads. There are also a few lunches where we will be entertaining multiple diplomats. Spock also mentioned picking up some diplomats to take to the star base with us. I don't like playing diplomatic fairy, but Spock bear is the one who will have to play nice.

My husband says I do, too, since I am his husband. That's so unfair. I regret dictating this with him in bed next to me. Although if I don’t do this now, I won’t do it until tomorrow.

Since we'll be on the planet until the morning of the 15th, I thought Sulu could bring the kids over for dinner. You can ask the elder and Suarez to come over. I was going to ask Nyota, but I am sure she has her own Valentine’s Day plans. Sulu volunteered because he loves your Rose garden and wants to take the opportunity to help Saavik with her school project in person. They’ve been exchanging letters.

I hope Saavik found Spock’s notes helpful as well. He wrote to her through Josephine, although in a very Spock way. He sent Saavik a list of plants and asked her about her various class projects.

I have been informed Spock sent her a note from the work account because, of course, he did. He's a little sad she hasn't written him yet. He thought things went well during Christmas. Based on something Josephine said, I'm worried Saavik might be a little intimidated by her big Captain Brother. Or maybe she's just trying to figure out her place in the family. That can be difficult sometimes. Talk to Kevin about that. I’m sure he has stories.

I approve of your plan to have the elder over more. I think it would be good for all of you. Maybe even invite Suarez over. You need more adults in your life.

Hopefully, you'll get that needed adult interaction at PTA meetings. Nyota has joined the Enterprise parents association for wine every Wednesday. Spock and I have been staying away because very few people like to hang out with their bosses. Although bringing the good lemon bars will definitely help you make friends.

 

To be continued.

Chapter 164: Day 357: Home Again

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of letters. I appreciate it. We now begin a fresh batch of chapters. This is the first batch I have written post-surgery and after my mother’s death. I get to start with Jim writing to his mother. Yeah, there’s a reason why I didn’t start working on new chapters until I only had one left in reserve.

Please note I kept one voice recognition typo in intentionally because it was hilarious. See if you can spot it.

Chapter Text

From: KirkWX
To: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 02/09/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Now safely back in London.

Your letter had excellent timing. Or maybe it was just waiting for me on Earth. I arrived back in London yesterday. We did a few extra inspections. It made me thankful that I’m never going to have to live on a ship long-term again. I’m glad I’m mostly doing teaching stuff now as a contractor. Active Starfleet life is just exhausting. I much prefer being on Earth.

You would think I could take a few days off to re-acclimate to being on Earth, but I have a class tomorrow. I’ve been doing the lectures virtually, but it’s good to be back in person. I have a meeting with my TA later today to figure out where the students are before I take over. I’m under the impression that several didn’t show up because the lectures were virtual. We will see what happens.

Attached are fresh pictures of Nhi. Yes, she looks 11 months pregnant in all the pictures, but never tell her that. Even I am starting to wonder if she got implanted earlier than she told us. I’ve already been informed that there is a betting pool at the Academy regarding when she will go into labor. I have Valentine’s Day.

I think you should know that the rumor mill is being stupid, and a lot of people think that you’re the dad of the twins. [Frustrated emoji] It took me a while to realize which grandchild people were congratulating me on. But eventually, I realized they weren’t talking about Peter.

So how exactly do you want me to deal with that right now? I’ve just been smiling politely and showing them pictures of Peter. You know how much I hate using my polite smile. I did too much of it when you were a baby. I assume that the fact that Peter will be my only biological grandchild should stay close hold?

I’m just glad nobody has asked Nhi to her face. I don’t know if she would break down in tears or punch people. It could be either one with her. Why can’t people mind their own damn business? The rumor mill can go flock itself.

Oh, I love the picture of your husband covered in baby jam handprints. No one sent that to me, probably because I was with you guys then. I remember Spock having to change, but I didn’t see the baby’s handprints. They’re adorable. I am sad that I won’t see the babies again until summer.

However, I’ll have the twins soon. I might not be their grandmother, but I will be another honorary grandma. I love all my grandbabies and am happy to get more—hopefully, none from Liz and Kevin. I’m praying to the contraceptive gods that Kevin doesn’t give me grandkids for another decade.

I know you think they won’t elope, but I feel like the wedding is coming sooner rather than later, which is fine. Even though they’ve only been dating for a year and a half, they’ve been in each other’s life since Tarsus. That’s a long time. Also, I feel like that whole episode aged them like ten years. They’re not your average 20-somethings.

Well, Liz is definitely more mature. There are moments when Kevin shows his age. He cares way too much about what other people think about him. He is telling you more than me about what’s going on with his internship. If I didn’t know better, I would think everything is going great, and he doesn’t want to throw his roommates out of an airlock. Even though he objected, the Admiral should’ve got him a private room. They’re already being nasty to him for alleged preferential treatment. You might as well get preferential treatment.

So how is ship life going? I know the mission near the New Vulcan system with the VSA is wrapping up soon. Do you know what you’re doing next? Spock mentioned something about repairs due to what happened in engineering. But what about after that?

Anyway, give Peter kisses for me. I am sorry I didn’t cc you on my last email to him. I meant to, but I forgot. I pretty much just hit reply to the previous email. Sorry, I’ll do better next time. It was mostly about me being sad to leave the grandbabies behind, but you already know that. Anyway, I miss all of you and look forward to summer.

PS: Send more pictures and videos. I need more images to show people when they make stupid comments about the twins.

PSS: Yes, I read the kids’ history paper and am not surprised, just very disappointed.

PSSS: Actually, I think that T-shirt came from Nhi.

Xxxx
From: KirkWX
To: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 02/09/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Yes, my former mother-in-law is horrible
I’m not even surprised that my former mother-in-law is anti-Semitic in addition to her homophobia and xenophobia. There’s a reason why I kept Jim and Sam far away from her.

She was so awful that I thought Frank was the better alternative for childcare. I was wrong, but I still feel significant damage would’ve been inflicted if I had left my kids with her. I’ve gotten that impression from your counterpart, at least. Yes, Jim has a lot of trauma, but at least he’s comfortable in his skin. I have it on good authority that that’s not the case with another version of my son.

I regret not leaving Starfleet when the kids were little. I should’ve left. Jim told me that if the kids on Enterprise program isn’t renewed, you and Jim are leaving Starfleet for Peter. I did that eventually, but not soon enough, not until the damage was done. I’m glad that the two of you will not make that mistake.

I will be honest; my relationship with Frank fucked me up and made it hard for me to trust anyone. Tarsus made it worse. Ben is my first new friend since the cataclysm. I’m automatically wary of all new people, including my children’s significant others.

Finding out that my oldest living child is now kind of married to the guy that choked him out did not do you any favors. Of course, I’m going to react badly. In hindsight, I should have talked to you and Jim about that instead of being antagonistic. Again, I’m sorry about that.

I’m not good at dealing with my own emotions. I’m getting better at it. I am addressing them instead of drinking them away. That is a significant improvement. I don’t want to lose what I have, so I’m doing my best to work through my decades’ worth of baggage. It’s still a work in progress.

I would love to do a call. Shoot me a work email, and we can work out the logistics. I am going to talk to Adm. Chen about the lag time. It’s been a year and a half, and there hasn’t been another Vengeance-like conspiracy. Maybe we can go back to rapid messages being the default.

OK, there was that small coup, but that was all internal communications. Also, there was the entire Hamilton fiasco, but that’s not your ship’s fault. OK, I just want more pictures of the grandkids and videos. Thanks for sending one of them making vegan sugar cookies. I would love more of that.

I know it doesn’t seem that way, but you and Jim are doing a great job with Peter. Your dad wouldn’t come to you for advice if that weren’t the case. I know I can’t make up for the loss of Amanda. No one can. But I'm here if you need a mom to talk to. I will try my best to help.

Xxx
“She wrote you again?” Jim asked his husband as he sipped on his cup of coffee. He and Spock were going through their emails while waiting for Peter to arrive for breakfast.

“Yes. She wants more pictures.” Jim rolled his eyes because the same thing was in his email.

“You seem surprised,” Spock commented as he took a drink of his tea. It was a Vulcan blend but not one that contained cannabis. Usually, they don’t consume those teas before work.

“A little. But she never turns down an opportunity to talk shit about Grandma Kirk. They really hate each other.” Jim explained.

“She thought that Frank was the preferable guardian.” Spock was giving him the annoyed eyebrows.

“In her defense, none of us realized he was a pedophile then. I am pretty sure Grandma Kirk is also physically abusive in addition to the psychological abuse. Frank issues aside, I’m glad I didn’t turn out a closet case.”

“This is true.”

“Do you want me to write her back for both of us?” Jim asked.

“I think she would benefit from hearing from us separately.”

“Despite the fact we’re trying to wrap everything up right now.” The last few days of a mission are always chaotic, even when it’s just one piece of a bigger mission.

“I am an excellent multitasker.”

“This is true. Since we’ll stay overnight at your dad’s house on the 14th, we don’t have to return to the ship.”

“Because he invited us during our video call last night, and you were afraid to say no.” Spock pointed out.

“Because your father still scares me, and I’m trying to stay on his good side. Maybe we can call my mom with the kids from your dad’s house? Do you think he would be okay with that?” Jim asked.

“I will email him today to check, but I doubt he will say no. We could call her, and then, after speaking to her briefly, we can leave on our date. This would allow her to speak to the children alone.”

“I love how you think, cookie Vulcan.” Spock kissed Jim on the lips.

“I will write to your mother once I hear back from my father. I will email him after breakfast.”

“On the work account, will the email get to Winona before the 14th?” Jim suggested.

“Yes.”

“Perfect. Thank you.”

Xxxxx
From: Spock’s_cuddlebunny
To: KirkWX
Time sent: 02/09/2261 22:41:01
Subject: I am glad you’re back in London

I’m glad you made it back to London safely. However, I’m sure your students are not. I hope your first entire semester of teaching goes well. We will wrap up in two days and then drop the scientists off on New Vulcan. We will be back on the planet for two days for debriefings. We arranged to send the kids to the Ambassador’s house for dinner. Spock is checking with him now to see if he’s okay if we call you from the home. If that works out, you’ll probably see a work email or rapid message from Spock first. I apologize now for the out-of-sequence emails.

Yes, I’m very well aware of that particular rumor. Kevin mentioned it as well in his last email. Also, people were dumb enough to come up to Spock and ask him about it. We are all fortunate he hasn’t nerve-pinched anybody. He’s a good captain like that. I wish they would confront Nhi directly with this because she absolutely would slap them. And they would deserve it.

Just ignore people. The rumor mill will say what it says, and I don’t want to give them additional ammunition. I don’t want the public to know about my fertility problems. It’s none of their business, my kids are my kids, and it doesn’t matter if they are biologically mine.

Also, between you and me, I feel like I will end up in a big brother, father figure hybrid role for the twins, along with Spock. It doesn’t bother me that they think I am the biological dad, except that means they think I had sex with another mother figure. Which is creepy, but they also apparently think I’m having sex with my brother. So yeah, the Starfleet rumor mill is gross. I’m done caring about what they think about me. I think Kevin will get there eventually, but he is young.

Kevin and Liz will make it to graduation without getting married, but not much longer. Kevin wants me at the wedding, and if the Sulu wedding date stays where it is, that will not happen. The Admiral can’t do what she did before and set up a mission for Enterprise to conveniently be near Yorktown on June 8.

As of now, we’re going to be several light-years away at that time. So that means people will have to take leave for the wedding. Under normal circumstances, Spock and I can’t be gone simultaneously if Sulu is also gone. One of us needs to be on the ship. Christmas was different because we were still close by and technically working.

However, after the baby coup d’état, I think our Admiral is less inclined to bend the rules even if it is possible. Unfortunately, we just found out that Spock and I will have to attend a conference at Babel on the day of the wedding after playing diplomatic fairy. We have to speak about the Vengeance incident and how we prevented it from becoming a new war with the Klingons. (I can’t wait to see how sanitized our Starfleet-cleared talking points are.) It’s going to be the last year of the conference being there since everything moves to Yorktown the following year. The new facilities are still under construction. I wonder if we can pick people up from Yorktown? That would at least mean we wouldn’t have to use Scotty’s extraordinary tech to get Sulu to his wedding.

So, if I’m not attending, there will not be a Liz and Kevin wedding. He at least told me that much. I think the people Kevin tells the most about what’s going on are Peter and Josephine. I don’t have exact details, but it was an epic rant. Although Liz probably got more. Unless he’s putting on a brave front, is that what he did in your letter?

We’ve had several meetings with management in the last few days about what’s next. After two weeks of repairs and us going through an evaluation of the Enterprise kids program, we begin the next phase of our multiyear star mapping project. We get to chart uncharted space. I hope we don’t discover anything else like invisible rocks again. We will be doing that till at least mid-May. Maybe a little longer. Then we will have a few weeks of diplomatic fairy and dance for the cameras. You know how much I hate that. I have to break out my own polite smile.

You should know that I had a tiny little work accident. About a week ago, I was leading the away mission to one of the moons and accidentally tripped over an invisible rock. Yes, that is a thing, and the science team is working on it. I broke my leg, but I’m good now. I’m back on duty and have been for a few days. However, I would prefer not to break any more bones, so hopefully, we won’t run into that again.

It’s OK that you forgot to CC me. Peter is at the age when he tells me things, but it’s also OK for you to talk to Peter directly without me being an intermediary or seeing everything. I trust you; it’s part of why we’ll let the video call continue while we’re on our Valentine’s Day date. However, I expect the Ambassador to be there. You can conspire without us.

I’m not surprised you were disappointed by the report. I was very disappointed by the report, mainly because I had to classify it to make the Vulcans happy. If I remember correctly, from my proper handling of classified materials training module, you’re not supposed to classify stuff to avoid embarrassment. I guess they mean embarrassment for the Federation government, not the Vulcan government.

I hope things go better for the new class project. It’s about Starfleet propaganda, so I doubt it will. The observer who is evaluating the program will be there for the class presentations. This could blow up spectacularly.

 

Did you know that Starfleet used my actual baby pictures as part of the recruitment drive the year after the Kalvin incident? I didn’t until Peter uncovered it yesterday as part of his research. Was that even authorized by you? You know they tried to do something similar after the battle of Vulcan, but Chris gave me a heads up, and I put Shawn on them. I love my lawyer. At least I am getting paid for being part of the propaganda.

More pictures and videos this time. Most of them are from the Botany lab. Gina wants the kids to do things that require them to get their hands dirty. That means fun with botany. Anyway, this is getting long, and I have a dinner to make. Well, replicate. We’re doing dinner in our quarters tonight. We try to meet at least every other night for family time. I think it’s working.

Anyway, I’ll talk to you soon.

PS: I hope you lose the baby pool because I do not want Nhi to have the babies a month early. Fingers crossed, the kids make it to March.

 

To be continued

Chapter 165: Day 358: How to plan a wedding when several light years away from your fiancé

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of letters. I appreciate it.

Chapter Text

From: Benjamin_2254
To: SuluHG2260
Subject: I miss you horribly
Time Sent: 02/10/2261 00:00:01
I really miss you. I decided to wait a little to write you since Sue just wrote you a few days before your letter arrived. I wanted a bit of space between our letters to you. That way, you get something from us every week and a half instead of waiting three weeks for a letter.

I find it adorable that you write to baby K now. It’s so cute. I know she’s going to appreciate your letters when she gets older. She was delighted when I read the letter to her. She misses you too. I sent you a video of me reading the letter. I hope you like it. Your love for her is something I adore about you.

When I started dating again, I was worried that being a single father would scare most men away. The first couple of dates did not go well, as you are aware. If you turned out to be a disaster, I would have given up on dating until K made it to at least kindergarten. Thankfully we did work.

I do wonder if it worked out better since we’re both dads. I completely understood what you were getting into when you learned about baby D. Although it probably helps that I adore Sue. She is an excellent addition to the family and a great bonus parent.

Zack’s mom is unhappy about that, but it is what it is. It is probably best that it was decided that my daughter’s grandmother would be in civilian housing and we would be in Starfleet housing. Liz is next-door where I’m supposed to be. I am sharing Sue’s family apartment.

I finally figured out that she’s not upset about the poly thing. However, she doesn’t understand why I’m not with Zoe if I’m bisexual. That way, she doesn’t have to deal with more people coming into the family. I am having trouble explaining to her that I am gay, but you’re bisexual-ish—or, instead, demi-sexual regarding women. You will sleep with Sue but no other women. Also, regardless of incompatible orientation, I see Zoe as my little sister. It would just be weird.

I’m inclined to ignore the situation completely. The problem is that the mother-in-law is over every day watching the girls. I get a disappointed look every time she’s here. Sue gets an angry and disgruntled look. I don’t want that negative energy to stay around. Suggestions?

So far, Liz believes I should just hand her the Idiots Guide to Multi-species Polyamorous Relationships and bookmark the chapters on different types of poly relationships. Liz also wants to rearrange her schedule to watch the babies more.

I don’t know how that’s possible since she is doing classes and a 40-hour-per-week internship. I worry about her sometimes. Sue told me that Liz did more before, like working at the diner full-time and attending Starfleet Academy classes. She only cut back last semester because of baby D. She doesn’t need to work; she likes to.

So how has the mission been going? Did you find any cool plants? Is it almost over? You’ll be wrapping up soon, right? What are you doing next?

Work has been good so far. Now that the embassies are opening, we’re getting families and kids. I’m getting in the swing of being a doctor to individuals from all over the universe. It’s an exciting job, but I like it. I think Yorktown’s going to be a good fit. Being closer to you is just a bonus.

So, I heard from the Admiral that we might need to consider another wedding date. If we do the wedding in late May or late June, we can have more of your friends at the wedding. Her original plan to have Enterprise at Yorktown fell through for two reasons. The first is nepotism accusations. Thanks to certain complaints being lodged, the Admiral has to be careful. So no more maneuvering things around for special visits on flimsy grounds. I heard you’ll need to take vacation time for the wedding.

Too bad the Federation general assembly conference isn’t moving to Yorktown until next year due to construction delays. That would be a perfect reason for Enterprise to be at Yorktown.

Anyway, I miss you, and I am so looking forward to seeing you again for the wedding. I am not opposed to moving the wedding to May. Just so I can see you sooner.

Xxxx
From: SuluHG2260
To: Benjamin_2254
Subject: I miss you too.
Time Sent: 02/10/2261 1:45:21
I miss you a lot as well. It’s probably a good idea to stagger your emails to me. I rather get a little pick-me-up every week and ½ than every three weeks. These emails keep me going.

The mission has gone well. We only have one more moon to survey before we wrap things up on the 12th. Per the preliminary data, this should be a very dull moon. I doubt we’ll find anything there as interesting as Ensign eating plants. An Ensign lost a hand. We have a sample now in botany. Jim calls her Audrey 3. The captain doesn’t get the reference. Jim is going to have to show him the movie.

Also, Jim discovered invisible rocks by breaking a leg literally. Yes, we found invisible rocks. The science department is still giddy with excitement. We also found several plants similar to things lost on the Vulcan of old. So, this was a very productive trip. I’m sad that the VSA will take most of the samples back. We’re keeping Audrey 3 with us. There were no carnivorous plants on Vulcan of old, so most of the VSA scientists are uninterested.

I understand that the Admiral can’t keep doing us favors forever. It wouldn’t be fair. Also, there is a lot of extra scrutiny right now. Per Spock, Liz’s former classmate Loki is the daughter of a high-ranking Federation official. Liz kicking her ass in the Kobayashi Maru has caused problems. She’s not exactly happy that the official investigation went in Liz‘s favor, so obviously, the Admiral needs to be careful.

It’s okay. I have a ton of vacation time, so it’s not much of a problem for me. However, our original dates will affect who gets to come. It’s funny that you should mention the Babel conference because Enterprise is escorting most of the delegates there, and Jim and Spock will be speakers. There’s also supposed to be some ceremony, giving the happy couple an award for preventing a war with the Klingons from breaking out. No one’s happy about that. I’m pretty sure Jim is going to spend the next four months trying to get out of it.

With so many diplomats on Enterprise, Nyota must be there. So that means I can bring the kids, and Pavel with me, and that’s it. And I might have to talk them into letting me bring the kids.

Now that you mention that the conference is moving to Yorktown next year, I wonder if the convention was initially supposed to move to Yorktown this year. Therefore, the Adm. moved things around so that Enterprise could do the escorting detail. Then it backfired on her, and now she can’t move things around to get us out of it.
I just did a quick search, and this seems to be true. They only announced it would still be happening on Babel last month because of construction delays. About a week before, we found out about Enterprise’s role.

So that you know, I’ve looked into the possibility of moving the wedding to Babel. Every hotel on the diplomatic planet is booked solid, so there’s no possible place to have a wedding. We could get married on the ship, but I was looking forward to a Yorktown wedding and an actual honeymoon. I just want my friends to be there.

What about a wedding after the conference or can we do it before? Although, I am worried my sister might break my fingers if I move the wedding up without giving her adequate notice. She will be equally angry about trying to move it to Babel. She might be able to find a venue for the wedding, but she will be furious about it.

I am not surprised that your mother-in-law feels that way. She’s probably scared that we will take you away from her. I feel like you may have become her placebo son. She is afraid to lose you. I can understand that after what happened with Zack. As awkward as it will be, you will have to talk to her. However, Liz’s suggestion does have merit. Maybe reading the book will give her a better frame of reference about what’s actually happening. It helped Gina, although Gina is more open-minded.

I’ll be prepared for her to hate me this summer. No matter what, I will find a way to see you this summer. We will figure out the wedding timing, but it will happen even if we have a quickie ceremony on Risa. Which also would cause my sister to break my fingers. Maybe we should’ve just eloped while we were both on New Vulcan.

Coordinating our new wedding plans would be much easier if we could talk live. I’m checking with Jim to see if we can do a video call either when we’re on New Vulcan on the 13th and 14th or on Starbase later on. We definitely need to figure out the wedding date face-to-face. Wish me luck. If you’re reading this after a video call, you know I succeeded.

Xxx

#2 Swordsman: I need a favor.

Spock’s husband: What do you need?

#2 Swordsman: Since I am taking the kids to your father-in-law’s house, would he let me video call Ben and Sue on Yorktown? We need to figure out the wedding date thing in person.

Spock’s husband: Or as close to in person as possible, given you’re in deep space right now.

#2 Swordsman: Yes. I just wrote a letter to him, but I realize I don’t want to wait three weeks for a response.

Spock’s husband: You could send him a work email?

#2 Swordsman: I don’t want my wedding plans in the work system in case Mr. Jones’s Starfleet friends get access to it. Also, even with shorter response times, much back-and-forth would be needed to figure it all out.

Spock’s husband: You have a valid point. Although you know you don’t have to move the wedding day. It will not be hard to drop you and the kids off before we start picking up other people. We’ll have to pick up/drop off some diplomats on Yorktown, so we can swing by and get you on the way back.

#2 swordsman: Spock could spend time with his father after my honeymoon.

Spock’s husband: Exactly. He might even be able to spend more time. I vote for Chekov being your best person if it won’t be Sue. I’m pretty sure I can spare him and the girlfriend.

#2 swordsman: It will be Sue, but I want him in the bridal party. I would still like a wedding with my friends there. If the ship has to pick up several diplomats from Yorktown, we might also have time to do a fast wedding there before.

Spock’s husband: Or after when we come back. That way we can be a bit more relaxed. I would like to see what Peter looks like in a suit before Kevin’s wedding.

#2 swordsman: Either would be a good option, but I need to talk it over with Ben first.

Spock’s husband: Sugar Vulcan, is reading this over my shoulder and has informed me that his father has already suggested that you call your fiancé and kids while you’re at his house. He just gave us the okay to call Winona as well. Spock is making those arrangements because he needs to respond to my mom anyway, and I feel weird writing her twice in 24 hours.

#2 Swordsman: I’m starting to like your father-in-law a lot.

Spock’s husband: The Vulcan is growing on me. The Ambassador also invited Nyota to call her mother, but she will have to stay on the ship.

#2 Swordsman: That’s unfortunate.

Spock’s husband: Send Sue a work email and tell her to book a long-range conference room for Valentine’s Day. Just promise no long range cybersex. My father-in-law would never forgive me.

#2 Swordsman: I promise. That definitely will not happen with the kids there.
Xxxx
From: Greyson-KirkSS
To: KirkWX
Time sent: 02/10/2261 08:55:23
Subject: We have made arrangements to call you at 8:15 AM on February 15

I spoke with my father recently, and he is amenable to us calling you on February 14. I have scheduled the call for 8:15 PM New Vulcan time, 8:15 AM February 15, London time. I apologize for the early time. I’m sure James mentioned that we would be on New Vulcan for two days to present our findings to the VSA and to attend other meetings.

Thank you for your offer. I will reach out whenever I need a mother’s advice. I know that no one will replace Amanda, but I appreciate having options.

I’m glad that Peter will have a grandmother figure in you. He appreciates that especially considering the situation with his other biological grandmother. She seems very similar to Grandma Kirk. This is why I’m doing everything legally possible to keep her away from Peter.

The children are looking forward to speaking to you later this week. We will do the call on New Vulcan because the kids will be busy with a field trip and the inspection of the Enterprise minors program during our time on Starbase [redacted].

The head of the educational program on Starbase [redacted] will assess our program while we are there for maintenance. They will also sit in on lessons and accompany the kids on their field trip. There will also be one on one interviews with the children. Gina is an excellent instructor, and we will pass the inspection.

As James said, if the program is discontinued, I will accept a teaching position at the VSA. James and I are contemplating that anyway after the end of the five-year mission. I want to stay in Starfleet, but at the same time, I do want to help my people. I don’t know if James told you, but I initially considered leaving Starfleet after my mother’s death. I felt I needed to be with my people and my father. The elder convinced me my place was on the Enterprise. I don’t regret that choice. But my circumstances are different now, and Peter’s needs come first.

That is not a criticism of your own choices. You made the best choice with the information you had under your circumstances. Universal income was in the early stages. You assume that continuing working was your best option, and you were unaware of who Frank was then. You thought you were protecting James and Sam from a more toxic influence. I believe, as humans say, hindsight is 2020.

I will completely acknowledge that Nana Kirk is toxic. We have received even more legal correspondence. She’s distraught that we could sign the documents and are going through with the lawsuit. What did she expect? I am uncertain.

I do regret the delay in correspondence. I think the Hamilton incident is reason enough for us to continue for at least six more months until the investigation is fully concluded. Hopefully, things can return to pre-Vengeance incident protocols afterward.

I know James sent more pictures, but I have included several videos myself. I look forward to our video call on February 15, your time.

To be continued

Chapter 166: Day 360: New Vulcan mail call

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of letters. I really appreciate it.

Chapter Text

From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 02/12/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank You for Your Assistance on My School Project

Thank you for your assistance regarding my school project. I have gone through the list of prospective flowers and chosen five for the new garden. This was primarily based on the availability of the flowers. I have attached pictures in addition to a computer-generated rendering of my plan for the garden. Feel free to make comments or suggestions.

The Ambassador told me that Enterprise would be bringing the Vulcan scientists back. Does this mean I will see you, Peter, and Josephine again? The Ambassador mentioned a surprise. Does that mean they’re coming to visit? I would appreciate seeing my cousins.
Xxx
From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 2/12/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Are you really coming back to New Vulcan so soon?
Hi.
Sorry, I haven’t written for a while. At least it feels that way since you’re close by. I haven’t been replying right away, anyway. I’ve been super busy with work and other commitments. I’ll explain why in a minute.

The good news is that the elder agreed for me to go with him to appointments. I accompanied him to his follow-up visit yesterday. It was good that I was there because I could ask questions from a doctor’s perspective, which is always helpful. We have another appointment in about a month, and I will also be there for that. I feel like this is progress for the old guy. He isn’t pushing me away, so that’s all I can ask for.

How did the mission with the Vulcan Science Academy go? Did you discover any more Fraggles? I heard from the Ambassador that it’s wrapping up in the next few days. I want to hear more.

I also heard you will be in the colony for two days of meetings. Is that a good or bad thing? Are you going to have time for a quick tea to catch up? I understand if that isn’t possible. I figure your visit is going to be very programmed.

I’m well aware I need a break. Unfortunately, for now, it’s going to be weekend trips to the Cliffs with brunch afterward. I would love to spend the summer on the Yorktown Starbase, visiting family and spending quality time with the Sulu girls. Unfortunately, I can’t take an extended vacation until I have a backup.

The good news is that the VSA has made a deal with Starfleet and the Federation education system to bring in more psychologists to train in the new field of Vulcan psychology. I am going to be doing many seminars. So maybe I’ll have adequate coverage by next Christmas. I could come to you for a few days. It’s an option, since I’m Starfleet. That would be nice.

I miss Enterprise. It was a lovely assignment, but I understand why I had to move on. It was a conflict of interest. I’ve heard only good things about the new team, so I feel better.

I got a copy of the kids’ report on the battle of Vulcan. It helps that I am still in Starfleet. I could understand everyone’s reaction to the school project. Also, I am not surprised at the way things were framed. It’s common to want to blame somebody when bad things happen, and blaming the Romulans is likely the easiest thing to do, mainly because people don’t know about the time travel element. I am working on combating that as much as I can.

Thank you so much for the new pictures. You and Peter are adorable together. You’re doing well. Remember that on the tough days.
Xx
From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 02/12/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I was wrong not to tell friends about my illness.

Thank you for your continued correspondence. In hindsight, I realized my initial desire to keep my illness to myself was erroneous. I am grateful that I now have the support of my friends and family. Also, that I am no longer dealing with this alone.

Were you responsible for Dr. Suarez’s offer to accompany me to all appointments? I initially declined her offer, but she is quite persuasive. After the first appointment, I am grateful she does not take no for an answer. I was more relaxed with her present. She also asked questions I should have considered but did not. I also agreed to meet with her colleague, who specializes in counseling those with long-term illnesses. I will keep you posted on how those visits go.

I might even be able to do that in person. During my weekly tea with the ambassador, he informed me that our weekly family dinner would be on the 14th of this week so that I could spend time with the grandchildren. They will be there for the night due to Enterprise personally dropping off the VSA science team. Will I also see you at this dinner? I would like that very much.
xxxx
“I feel like last night was New Vulcan night for email. The only one we didn’t hear from was your father, probably because we received messages from him earlier this week.” Jim placed his PADD on the table as he reached for the cranberry and apple oatmeal Spock had prepared for him.

“I have an email from him in my work account.” Jim sighed at his husband’s words.

“Of course you do. Was it longer than the one from your sister?” Jim asked.

“Marginally. He informed me that he also invited Zoe to participate in the call with her niece.”

“That’s nice of him.”

“I am concerned with the abrupt nature of her letter but grateful that she wrote it. I’m also glad that she responded to my personal account.”

“I feel like she did that because it would take you longer to respond.”

“I am not arguing that point,” Spock stated as he placed another bowl of oatmeal on the table.

“Because there’s very little actually to argue.” Jim smiled at him. “At least she is writing. She needs more time to get used to you.”

“I feel like I am the last one she has written to. Even Nyota received an email before I did.”

“It’s not a competition. I haven’t got a letter yet.” Jim mentioned.

“This is true.”

“Would you be mad at me if our Valentine’s Day dinner turns into dinner with the family? I don’t know when we’ll see them again since you and I are being forced to go to Babel on the original wedding date. Besides, maybe your little sister would feel better if you were there in person.”

“I have to speak at Babel, but maybe you do not and could still attend the wedding.” Spock suggested.

“I don’t think our immediate boss will agree to that, and you know my brother’s future mother-in-law can’t intervene right now. Even if she did, that would leave Scotty as your first officer for a week.” Spock raised an eyebrow at him.

“No, it can’t be Nyota. First, you two are kind of legally related now and it’s a small miracle that the bosses haven’t moved her to another ship. Second, Scotty has seniority over Nyota after being the acting captain of the Hamilton for a few months. Could you deal with Scotty as your first officer for a week?”

“I can suffer through much to guarantee your happiness.” Spock responds, begrudgingly after thinking about it for a moment.

“That’s not the yes I was looking for.” Jim sighed.

“This is not something we need to discuss now. We don’t know if the wedding date will stay since Sulu would like to move it if possible so that more friends can attend.”

“I know, but even if they move the wedding to before, we’re only going to have time for the ceremony. We probably will not get to stay for the reception and mingle with our family. Therefore, I still think we should take this opportunity. We can have a fancy dinner at the star base after Valentine’s Day. We could celebrate your one year as a captain.”

“I believe we still will be in transport on February 17.”

“We don’t have to celebrate on the day. I’ll work something out with our assistant. It’s not going to be all meetings that entire two weeks.”

“But the majority will be with Starfleet inspecting the minors on Enterprise program.”

“I know.” They were both worried about the upcoming inspection, even though Spock would not acknowledge it. It’s why they had a contingency plan in case the program is eliminated. He might be able to talk Bones and Nyota into letting him have custody of Josephine on New Vulcan, so they don’t have to leave as well. But Nyota might turn her new citizenship into a job at the VSA language department.

“I believe I can make time to have a fancy dinner with you. I will also ask Nyota if she will host a sleepover during our time on base.”

“Music to my ears. Will your dad get upset if I invite Suarez to the family dinner?”

“No. He had already invited her. He also wants us to stay for dinner.”

“OK, it looks like we’re doing family Valentine’s Day. I was looking forward to getting you chocolate drunk on chocolate hearts.”

“Maybe next year,” Spock suggested.

“I’m holding you to that.” Jim leaned over and kissed Spock. Unfortunately, that’s when Peter finally came in for breakfast.

“Why are you guys always kissing?” Peter commented as he sat at the table.

“Because we love one another.” Jim leaned over to kiss Spock again. “Eat your breakfast. You’re going to be late for class otherwise.”
Xxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time arrived: 2/12/2261 19:19:19
Subject: Re: Are you really coming back to New Vulcan so soon?

It’s OK. I get that things are super busy, mainly because you are spending time with the elder and training the new generation of Vulcan therapists. I look forward to the moment when you can take a day off. You need it.

Yes, we will be on the planet for two days, which is just long enough for us to report on our findings. That means Spock and I will be spending lots of time with people we rather not. Unfortunately, that leaves me no time for tea with you. Trust me; I would rather spend time with you. However, we have decided to postpone our Valentine’s Day dinner alone and will spend time with the family instead.

You’re part of that. So please join us. I’m sure you received an invite from the Ambassador at this point. I hope so because you may or may not get this email by Valentine’s Day. I really would like to see you there. The elder will be there as well.

I don’t mind postponing. We will be going to one of the nicer non-Yorktown star bases for repairs. I’ve already made reservations for one of the better restaurants on campus, and Spock has arranged for Peter to have a sleepover. Peter is still at the age where he finds all the making out weird, so he should have a sleepover. We will celebrate Spock’s one year as a captain, so obviously, it will be a fun night.

It’s been an interesting year on this ship, and this mission was exciting. So, no more Fraggles on the other planet, but we ran into ensign-eating plants. Thankfully they are getting used to their prosthesis. Since you’re still Starfleet, I can send you the official report. This one isn’t classified, it is just weird.

Also, I tripped and broke my leg on invisible rocks. Yes, that happened. No, I will not be giving more details. Nor am I sending you the report because that one is classified.

You may have already heard about this from my father-in-law. He knows because he has received many messages from Spock. He was a little freaked out and needed his dad. I’m just happy they are at a place in their relationship where they can talk to one another when they’re upset. Okay, I’m just happy that Spock is willing to acknowledge when he’s upset. That’s progress.

Peter is also progressing. Peter is no longer in koala bear mode, which makes me very pleased. He is hanging out with his friends and hasn’t tried to crawl into our bed. That’s always good.

Peter is currently doing a group project on the history of propaganda in Starfleet. I am a little concerned that group project presentations will happen when the inspection occurs. I hope I don’t have to classify another school report.

Although if this goes badly, you can provide us with a list of all your favorite restaurants in the colony. We will need it when we move there after Spock accepts a teaching position at the VSA. We have decided that if the program isn’t renewed, we will leave for New Vulcan. Maybe we can do a sabbatical or something else that won’t require us to leave Starfleet. However, we are not sending Peter to boarding school so that we can stay on Enterprise. That is not an option at all. Our time on New Vulcan has shown us that I can deal with the heat in New Vulcan summer. Also, my allergies are nowhere near as bad as we thought they would be on the planet. We’re open to moving there for a while.

Anyway, more pictures of the kids being crazy. They miss you and can’t wait to see you in a couple of days. I haven’t told them that you’ll be there yet. I want it to be a surprise if you can’t join the family dinner. That way, they won’t be disappointed. Anyway, I hope to see you in a couple of days.
X
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time arrived: 02/12/2261 19:31:06
Subject: Re: I’m glad you realize you’re not in this alone.
I’m glad you told us. You shouldn’t be dealing with this by yourself. I did not have to nudge my old doctor to help. That’s just who she is. However, I appreciate her reaching out. You shouldn’t go to those appointments by yourself. I’m glad she can be there for you.

We can have dinner with you and the family on the 14th. Our temporary assistant is brilliant, and they are really good at scheduling personal time and ensuring we have a life outside of work. I think we’re going to keep them.

We just finished surveying the final moon this afternoon. Thankfully nothing weird happened. That was a first for this mission. I have to ask, did you ever run into Fraggle’s? What about large carnivorous plants? Did you ever find invisible rocks anywhere? Snuggle Vulcan says I cannot send you the unclassified reports, but I wish I could.

I’ve had a theory that you discovered the planet that became New Vulcan during the original five-year mission. You knew it would be the perfect place for a settlement. That’s why it’s smack dab in the middle of the space we’re supposed to explore as part of this five-year mission.

Incidentally, the location of the New Vulcan colony means that we can get here more often. It’s really in the middle of what we’re supposed to be exploring. After repairs and getting Scotty back, we will explore the system next door. No spoilers. I want to discover the chaos on my own.

Anyway, I look forward to dinner in a couple of days. I’m sure the kids would be excited if they knew. We want it to be a surprise just in case plans change and we have to beam the science team over tomorrow. Fingers crossed we‘ll get to see each other.

Xxxx
From: Jim's_cuddlebear
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
Time arrived: 02/12/2261 21:27:05
Subject: Re: Thank You for Your Assistance on My School Project

Thank you for writing. I appreciate hearing from my little sister. I hope all is still well for you at the international school. Your projects there seem fascinating. More so than anything I did at a traditional Vulcan school. Although because our father was a working ambassador during my childhood, I also spent many years at various international schools throughout the Federation. I always preferred them to traditional Vulcan schools. I’m glad you can attend the international school at the colony.

I was able to look over your notes this afternoon. You chose well for your project. The artistic rendering was very well done. The spot you have selected will work well. You can show this to me when I arrive on the 14th.

We have rearranged our schedule, and we will attend a family dinner hosted by our father. Peter and Josephine are looking forward to seeing you. I am also looking forward to spending time with you that day.
To be continued…

Chapter 167: Day 361: Happy, Almost Valentine’s Day

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all absolutely lovely.

We survived our joint mission with the VSA with minimal casualties. Now we get a few days in New Vulcan right around Valentine’s Day. This should be fun.

Chapter Text

Day 361: Happy, Almost Valentine’s Day

From: Legal Queen
To: kitten_loverJJMU
Subject: Happy not quite Valentine’s Day.
Time arrived: 02/13/2261 00:00:01

Hey, happy almost Valentine’s Day. If I am doing the math right, you will probably get this near the holiday. Although I still don’t get why these letters now take so long. Liz said most messages used to arrive close to the same day before the incident in San Francisco a few years ago. At least that’s what she mentioned in her letter yesterday.

I’m looking forward to Valentine’s Day for the first time in forever. I actually have a date this year. Chloe asked me when she helped me pick out my new apartment a few days ago. I have no idea what she’s planning, but I’m looking forward to it. I regret that Liz is several light-years away and can’t help me pick out my new outfit. I have a week and a half, so I am sure I’ll think of something. With work being so chaotic, I wonder if I have time to go shopping. This is probably why Chloe gave me more than two weeks’ notice for our date.

I have attached pictures of my new apartment. I decided to rent. I don’t have the energy to buy two properties within six months of each other. If/when the judge somehow gets out, moving will be easier.

He’s still in detention, per my bosses. He’ll stay there for a while due to recently discovered extremely illegal transgressions. However, one can never be too careful with the judge.

I had tea with Liz's mom Ming a couple of days ago. She’s back on Earth and brought me your Christmas presents. Your painting was brilliant. I love it, and it’s in my office. Chloe says you have a lot of talent. Cory wants a similar painting for his office. Thank you so much for sending it to me.

I am happy I sent you more art supplies. They are waiting for you when your ship goes in for repairs. Liz’s mom says that’s going to be in a few weeks. I heard something about a tour of the base and a trip to an amusement park. Don’t forget to send me pictures.

So today, I found out I will be taking the Vulcan bar exam this summer at the Embassy in Yorktown. Initially, I thought this was Liz’s mother pulling strings, but it is not. It’s all part of the christening of the newest Vulcan Embassy. I’m not going to question why that’s part of the festivities.

After studying the law code for several months, I have discovered that the Vulcan system is very different than what I am used to. Yes, it’s in everybody’s best interest that your mom is a citizen. Mine as well, since it’s part of why I managed to get a spot this summer to take the exam. Your grandfather is my sponsor. I will be spending most of my time studying for the next five months, but I think it will be worth it.

Anyway, I loved all of the pictures of your Lego collection. I’m glad you guys are having fun. Do you guys have anything planned for Valentine’s Day? Or are you just waiting to have fun at the base?
Xxxx
From: Legal Queen
To: Doctor Bones
CC: NyotaUM
Subject: Happy almost Valentine’s Day to my favorite brother-in-law.
Time arrived: 02/14/2261 00:00:01
Whom I like more than my actual sister. May she rest in peace.
Surprisingly your letter arrived just a little after Josephine’s. I’m happy they’re lining up now, considering they were a few days apart. However, we will see if these get to you simultaneously.

I have an update about my unfortunate sperm donor. I promise I would’ve sent a rapid message if it was critical. However, I think this news can wait a week and a half. So, the guy is not getting out of jail anytime soon because, besides stepmom number whatever stealing all his money, she also stole all his computer files. She turned all of them over to the authorities. So we now have proof he paid off the judge in your original custody case and your shit family too. I suggest setting up a news alert so you can see videos of them getting arrested for being part of the biggest judicial conspiracy in Georgia history. Arrests will be happening very soon.

They are also investigating the possibility that the judge had someone killed. Actually, it might be multiple potential murders. He may have arranged for some of his enemies to have “accidents.” He is not getting out of jail anytime soon. Thank the universe for your decision to join Starfleet. It kept you far away from him so he couldn’t touch you. Who knows what the man would have done otherwise? My sperm donor is unhinged.

In better news, I received your Christmas presents from Lizzy’s mother. Thank you for the Vulcan tea-tasting collection. Also, thank you for several data chips on how to study for the Vulcan bar exam. They contain different information than the version they give to non-Vulcans. That explains why until the implosion, very few non-Vulcans ever passed the Vulcan bar exam equivalent. It’s hard to pass a test when you’re not given the correct information.

In addition to getting my Christmas presents from the admiral, I also got to talk to her about some work-related things. Yes, she tried to get me to join Starfleet Legal. I never said no faster in my life. Moving to New Vulcan is one thing, but not living on a ship full-time. I can’t do a ship. I need the ground. And sunshine. I don’t know how you guys do it for years at a time.

She also mentioned that the Minors on Enterprise program is getting reevaluated in February. It makes sense since that’s the one-year mark of this voyage. However, she is concerned. I heard from Liz already about Loki the bitch and stupid attempts to get back at Liz for beating her at a test which just seems so ridiculous. Mainly because, unlike when your boy did this, there was a legitimate possibility of winning. However, Princess Loki is upset that the two people that did the best were legacies.

Sorry, I’m literally shaking my head as I dictate that. She thinks there are people at Starfleet that are going to help their disgraced former head’s niece beat the exam. Or, in this case, almost beat the exam. I’m not even Starfleet, and I know how much everybody hated Marcus. I heard there were parties when he died. Chloe went to one because her then-husband was celebrating. Considering how much of it prick her ex-husband was, that is saying something. Even the dicks hated Marcus.

Sorry, I got on a tangent. The admiral worries that the Enterprise program might be targeted for political reasons. For a test, seriously, a test? If that does happen, one, Shawn will sue the hell out of everybody on your behalf. Two, pursuant to passing the New Vulcan bar exam, I would be open to moving to the planet to care for Josephine so you and Nyota don’t have to leave Starfleet.
I know you wouldn’t want her returning to earth because my father is a sociopath. But New Vulcan is an option. It’s part of the reason why I’m renting and not buying. I want to be able to move.

OK, renting that apartment also led to having a Valentine’s Day with Chloe. So, there were many reasons why renting was the best option. I now live in the same building as Chloe. That’s just purely coincidental. It’s close to work.

I love my new job and many of my coworkers, but if Josephine needed me, I would relocate to New Vulcan in a heartbeat. I still feel like I let her down. I should have got her away from my sister a long time ago. I even feel worse about it now that I know for sure that the judge bought my sister custody. It was probably just another means to control her. I don’t know because she’s not alive to ask. This was one of the few things not in her diary. Maybe she didn’t want to incriminate herself. She just gave you enough stuff to make sure the judge didn’t get her daughter. I’m not sure. My sister remains a highly complex person, even in death.

On that sad note, I will end this letter. I hope all goes well with the inspections. But if it doesn’t, we‘ll be ready to sue the fuck out of them.
Xxxx
From: NyotaUM
To: Legal Queen
CC: Doctor Bones
Subject: Re: Happy almost Valentine’s Day to my favorite brother-in-law.
Time sent: 02/14/2261 07:23:18

Sorry, I’m writing today. The boyfriend was exhausted by dealing with too many people due to “toddlers thinking with their dicks instead of their heads.” Leonard practically collapsed when he got back from shift this morning. He didn’t even stay up to have breakfast with Josephine like he normally does after a night shift.

I’ve heard my boyfriend complain about Starfleet stupidity many times, but not right before shore leave. Usually immediately after. Although maybe a few people celebrated the last day of our joint mission with the VSA a little too hard last night. His night shifts are always crazy, and this one was no exception.

We wrapped up yesterday and are heading to New Vulcan to drop off the team. There are a few follow-up meetings tomorrow and the next day, but I won’t be part of that.

I am glad that you liked your Christmas presents. With everything going on with your dad, I knew you could use the various relaxation teas. This was the first harvest on the new colony, so there were many lovely blends this year. Once you finish the teas, you will at least have the teapot. Drink in good health.

It was Spock’s father that recommended we send you the data chips for the bar exam. I suspect he knew the study materials for individuals off planet were incomplete. Which doesn’t surprise me after the kids’ winter break project. Vulcan history is so whitewashed. It’s a joke. Let’s say we had to classify my kid’s research paper.

Thank you for the offer to come to the new Vulcan colony. I don’t think we’ll need to take you up on it. Spock and Jim will care for Josephine on New Vulcan if worse comes to worst. Being the practical Vulcan he is, Spock already has a teaching position lined up at the VSA if things go south. And since half of the visiting scientists have fallen in love with Jim, I’m sure he would get an offer too. He’s also thinking about getting his doctorate.

Part of me wonders if they are already half out the door. I am almost positive they won’t stay past the current five-year mission. I think Peter has changed their priorities. They have no desire to be Starfleet lifers, even though I know they would’ve been that way in another life.

However, that doesn’t mean that I won’t fight if the powers that be try to end the program. I’ve been meeting with many of the other Enterprise parents, and we are ready to sue if we must to keep the program. Especially if it’s apparent that they’re ending it for political reasons, and it would be political reasons. It’s why they ended it the first time. They just used what happened to Jim as a baby to push it through. So, I’m glad Shawn and the others are ready to go if we need it. I’ll know more about that in a week. But I will message Shawn if I have to. Let him know to watch out for my messages.

Leonard is not surprised to find out his family members really were paid to badmouth him at the custody hearing. He was mad enough to break his PADD. This is another reason why I am the one writing today. I am glad you CCed both of us.

He is also not surprised at all about the murder. It seems like something the judge would do. Especially considering that he is stalking you. Please tell me your new place has good security? We are worried about you being alone back on Earth. You should consider moving to New Vulcan anyway if the man gets out.

We are doing a video call with my mom on the 27th. Which theoretically will be after a decision is made about the program. You are invited to join. I expect you’ll get an email or text message from my mom any day. We would love to speak with you then. Hopefully, it won’t be about custody plans and lawyer arrangements.

I wish we could’ve done it tomorrow. We are going to be arriving in New Vulcan later today. The kids will get to spend a couple of days with their grandfather. On the other hand, I will have to stay on the ship and be in charge. Jim, Spock, and Sulu will be participating in briefings with the VSA. Scotty is still not back. Otherwise, it would be his job. He’s not joining us again until our second day on the Starbase.

Anyway, I look forward to speaking to you then. Josephine got super excited when I told her we were trying to get you on the video call with her grandmother. She hasn’t spent much time with my mom, so I think you being there will help. I hope you will be available.

PS: Yes, we have set up a News filter and are looking forward to various family members getting arrested on various corruption charges. Although, please send relevant video files to us in case this doesn’t make the interplanetary news. We don’t always get the local feeds from Earth.
Xxx
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Legal Queen
Subject: Re: Happy not quite Valentine’s Day.
Time arrived: 02/13/2261 12:43:32
Your letter managed to get here on the 13th, so good timing. Dad also got his letter from you, which is better than usual. They usually arrive a few days later.

I am so excited you have a date for Valentine’s Day. I’m happy for you. I hope everything goes well with Chloe.

I love the new apartment. It’s so cute. It’s big, and you have a nice patio. Is it secure, though? I don’t want the judge to burn this place down again if he ever can afford a lawyer to get him out on bail. I’m glad he’s still locked up.

The fact that he is still locked up makes me wonder if he’s being charged with other things beyond the stalking and arson. Although the judge no longer having money is also a factor. I’m glad step-grandmother number nine took him to the cleaners. Good for her.

I’ve been making good use of the Christmas art supplies, and I’ve done more paintings. We plan to send you a few when we arrive at Starbase 39 in a few days. There might be one for your boss in there too.

I’m looking forward to Starbase 39 and not looking forward to it at the same time. The amusement park will be fun; hopefully, nothing terrible will happen afterward like last time. You remember I found out mom wrapped her car around the tree after spending the day at Disneyland of Georgia. I don’t want a repeat of that trauma.

I’m also looking forward to getting to talk to you live. Mom is working out arrangements. I am also supposed to be talking to Grandma. I’m a little apprehensive about talking to her in person, but her notes with her gifts have been good. Mom and Grandma are getting along well right now. Which, from what I’ve gathered, is a minor miracle. I am hopeful it will continue.

At the same time, it’s time for our Minors on Enterprise program to be re-evaluated. The head of the local Starfleet International School is going to be evaluating us. This might be a disaster considering our project topics. I am worried. I know we won’t get shoved off to boarding school, but Mom and Dad love being in Starfleet, and I don’t want them to leave.

Uncle Jim and Spock love Starfleet and Enterprise but would be happy on the New Vulcan colony. A contingency plan is in place for me to live with them on the settlement if things go to hell. You can be their neighbor if you do well on the bar exam. I’m glad your test is happening on Yorktown, and you won’t have to go to the colony to take it. That’s usually what happens.

So that you know, the Sulu wedding might get moved. It’s either going to be a little earlier or a little later. Although if it’s later, I’ll still get to see you because I think we’ll get dropped off to live with Grandpa while everybody else is going to the Federation Gen. Assembly.

My current theory is that Liz’s mom’s scheme to get us all to Yorktown at the same time backfired. Enterprise has escort duty for the Federation Gen. Assembly, which was supposed to be moved to Yorktown. Unfortunately, the conference center isn’t done yet. That’s not even mentioning the incomplete housing.

We’re not doing anything for Valentine’s Day because it’s more of an Earth holiday. However, Dad is already dealing with idiots that were celebrating the end of our time with the New Vulcan delegation. He regrets having the night shift last night. I think I will get another lesson about barrier contraceptives and STI protection. I am 12. I do not need another version of that lesson right now.

Although Gina’s girlfriend did bring us cookies for lunch. Heart-shaped sugar cookies because she is Vulcan, after all. OK, and now my teacher is crying, but it’s happy tears because the girlfriend just proposed to her. The cookie said will you marry me. That’s adorable.

I’m taking pictures for Liz and Sue. Gina and Sue have known each other since kindergarten. They are platonic soulmates. Liz is like another little sister. They’re going to want pictures.

I’m sending you one picture of the whole class together. I hope we get to stay together. I may not be best friends with some of my classmates, but we’ve become a family over the last year. I don’t want that to end.

Anyway, this proposal happened today because we are all headed to New Vulcan for two days. This was the girlfriend’s last day with us, or it was. I think the proposal was part of their backup plan if we do get split up by Starfleet. I hope not, anyway.

Wish me luck during the inspection. I’m gonna need it.

To be continued…

Chapter 168: Day 362: V Day

Notes:

Thank you to everyone who read or reviewed the last conversation. You are all fabulous.
Welcome back to New Vulcan. Please enjoy your short stay. And don’t forget to try the lemon bars.
This is a reminder that New Vulcan is four hours behind Enterprise time. Technically the first part of this chapter takes place on February 14 ship time but on February 13, New Vulcan time.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 02/14/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I look forward to having dinner with you and the children.

We discovered many planets suitable for humanoid life during my travels. I cannot confirm nor deny that the home of the new Vulcan colony is one of those planets I discovered personally. However, I am grateful that its proximity will mean more visits.

I am looking forward to visiting with you and the children tomorrow. I’m not certain how many more I will have, but I will treasure all of them.

I am surprised you are not spending Valentine’s Day with your husband. Is that not one of your favorite old Earth holidays? I am aware now that you and my counterpart lived a very different life. Maybe you have a negative association with the day. If so, I’m sorry about that.
xxxxxx
From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: SuluHG2260
Time arrived: 02/14/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Thank you for writing. I appreciate it.

I finally have been getting letters from my boyfriend. Several actually. He’s not waiting until he gets a return letter. Honestly, I feel like now I’m getting one every other day. That might be because he really hates his roommates. I think he may be on his third set. He should’ve asked my mom to put him in a single in the first place.

 

It’s too late for her to do that now. Thanks to Loki being a bitch, no more special favors. This also means you guys are stuck doing the Federation Gen. Assembly escort duty, even though they’re still at Babel. They were supposed to relocate to Yorktown this year, but construction of the new conference center is three months behind schedule. That’s why we had to book rooms for the hotel so far in advance, and your sister couldn’t find any other catering options. Although silver lining, your wedding venue now costs half as much as before, and theoretically, we could have more guests since hotel rooms are available. Also, more options for food. Although are you even still able to have the wedding on my niece’s b-day?

My big sister was already trying to talk Ben into moving it to May because she is sure Enterprise will pick up a bunch of ambassadors. It’s already starting to become a diplomatic hub. Also, you know May is not a good month for your fiancé. Maybe he would want to reclaim the month with a good anniversary.

I’m trying to take care of the kids more. Partially because I miss them. My apartment is too quiet without my little niece and her big sister. Also, things are complicated with the soon-to-be former Mrs. Jones. I don’t think she wants Ben to remarry, at least not so soon. She’s just using the poly thing as an excuse. I’m not sure. I gave her a copy of The Idiot’s Guide to Multi-Species Polyamorous Relationships. It worked for Gina.

How is Gina doing? Is she OK with the girlfriend going back home? I know they’re planning to both end up in one place or the other, but who knows when that might be? Also, Starfleet might require a marriage license even for the VSA fellowship position. Note to self-write to her next. Also, the kids. But when I’m not as tired.

PS: The babies love your letters. I love the videos more.

Xx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Vulcan_Embassy_Ambassador_Selek
Time sent: 02/14/2261 00:12:31
Subject: Re: I look forward to having dinner with you and the children.

I’m happy to say that nothing horrible has happened to me on Valentine’s Day just yet. Technically it’s already Valentine’s Day by Enterprise standards, even if it’s still February 13 on New Vulcan.

I’m happy to be hanging out with you and the kids. Suarez is also going to be there. There are other times for a romantic dinner. Besides, I can feed Spock discounted Valentine’s Day candy when we arrive at the Starbase. Maybe.

The kids are super excited that you’ll be here tomorrow night. There was actually cheering when they found out. They adore you and didn’t think they would get to see you again until summer.

They know you’re sick. Not that it’s possibly terminal. I didn’t want to burden them with that because the doctors might pull off a miracle. I can hope, anyway. They’ve both buried their mothers. Let’s not let them know it could be worse at the moment, not until we have to.

We’re actually on the planet right now. We got here about an hour ago. The kids crashed the moment they got to their room. My baby sister-in-law was sad about that. She wanted to show off her Lego collection, but the time difference was not working in our favor. Especially with us only being here for two days. Don’t worry; they’ll be almost functional when we see you for dinner tomorrow.

Since we’re on planet, you should get this like a standard email. I hope so, Anyway. I am going to bed. I’ll see you tomorrow.

PS: Bring tea and good lemon bars.

Xxxx
Starfleet priority message for Cadet Elizabeth Chen from Lieutenant Commander Sulu

I am sending this as a rapid message before falling asleep so that you will get it before the video call tomorrow (or today, depending on the time difference.) Are you participating in the call? You need to. Gina has something special planned. No, I can’t tell you what.

It does mean that we must make the wedding day discussion short. I’m okay with moving the wedding. I don’t need it to be around Baby D’s birthday. I think I was using that as an excuse to guarantee I would be there for her birthday. I might still be around for her birthday If we do the wedding in late May. I plan to take some shore leave for my honeymoon while everybody else is at Babel.

I agree that it might not be just the poly thing. I’ve heard things from Zoe. She is staying at the ambassador’s compound in one of the guest houses. (He has a few to host visiting diplomats now.) She’s going to talk to her mom alone. We’re going to need your help to do that. Can you get Zoe’s mom to the long-range conference room an hour earlier than everybody else? Well, everybody but Ben and Sue. The kids can be there. The kids should be there. They will keep everyone calm.

I promise to write you and the kids a longer letter soon, probably with pictures from the amusement park. I’ve been talked into being a chaperone. I have many things I want to say about your boyfriend. Mostly that I feel like he’s an idiot.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Lieutenant Commander Sulu from Cadet Elizabeth Chen

Oh, there will be a longer letter at some point.
I got her there. Zoe and her mom are talking right now. I’m picking up an angry mix of Mandarin and standard from just outside the door. Things are not going well. I should thank my mom for making me take Mandarin lessons. Don’t worry; the babies are now safe with me.
Xxx

“Daddy, miss you.” Her baby girl said the moment her daddy popped up on the screen. Desi then proceeded to get out of Sue’s lap and attempted to hug the viewscreen.

“Daddy misses you too. I’m so happy to see you.” Hikaru told them.

“We are, too, but nowhere near as happy as our children. Demora, stop hugging the screen.” Ben commented as Sue bent over to grab her daughter.

“Glad to see you’re good at climbing, my little girl. I’m glad you’re all here. Well, almost all of you. Where is Liz? I got a rapid message from her.”

“With Nana.” Sue’s sort of stepdaughter answered.

“Hopefully, Nana isn’t yelling at your aunt right now.” Ben sighed.

“It was necessary. Her animosity was getting out of control.” Sue pointed out.

“It was.” Ben agreed reluctantly. “Liz will be back with us in a few minutes. But she wanted to give us time to talk wedding stuff alone.”

“That makes sense. Gina is outside of the room, waiting to get in.” Sue smirked at that.

“If it’s to tell me she just got engaged, I know. The girlfriend asked for my blessing.” Sue explained.

“It is. I believe Josephine sent video.” Hikaru commented.

“Good to know. Although I expected them to wait until after the Enterprise Minors Program is officially renewed.” Sue added.

“If that doesn’t happen, Gina will now have citizenship. It will be easier for her to work at the International School.” Hikaru told them.

“Gina’s girlfriend has always been super pragmatic.” She shouldn’t be surprised at all about the quick engagement.

“This is true.

 

“And now she’s worried about the program getting canceled because people are mad at Mom,” Sue said.

“Are people mad at your mom because of Liz?” Hikaru asked.

“Honestly, no. However, some factions are unhappy with a woman being in charge. They’re acting like cranky toddlers, and my mom is trying not to rock the boat to keep them on her good side.” Sue explained.

“I’m not going to argue against that.”

“Since my mom cannot rearrange things and Enterprise is stuck faring diplomats to Babel again, what are the best options for your wedding day?” Sue asked.

“Currently, Enterprise will most likely be picking up diplomats from Yorktown on or around May 30.”

“The 29th would be a good day for a wedding,” Ben suggested.

“I think so. Unless the next round of exploration goes crazy, we definitely can be at Yorktown by May 29. It might even be better if we’re early.

“It’s best not to leave Ambassadors waiting,” Ben told his fiancée.

“Exactly. Although, how much groveling will I have to do to my sister because we moved up the wedding ten days?”

“Not much except possibly a good bottle of wine,” Sue suggested. “Or lemon bar since you are on Vulcan right now.”

“Your sister was already asking us to move the wedding forward or back when she found out the days were originally aligned with the Federation General Assembly. She only stopped sending us emails about that when it was officially moved back to Babel for a final year due to construction delays.” Ben explained.

“I honestly think the only reason you got the honeymoon suite was that the hotel owner already knew the conference was moving back to Babel,” Sue explained.

“Possibly,” Hikaru commented as Liz stepped back into the conference room and sat beside her. Baby K quickly went over to sit with her aunt.

“OK, the mother-in-law is safely tucked away at the bar next door,” Liz said as she grabbed the child from the floor.

“Is that good or bad?” Hikaru asked. Sue responded by just shrugging her shoulders.

“I will deal with it.” Which was Liz, for ‘we need to talk about this later.’ “So, did you choose a new wedding day?”

“May 29 for now,” Ben answered.

“Although that could change,” Hikaru added.

“Yeah, I don’t think your sister will be happy about a flexible wedding date,” Liz answered.

“You’re probably right about that,” Ben replied.

“She will get over it. Besides, we’re going to have a simple wedding. Those do not take that long to put together. I’m getting good at it. Ask Gina.” Hikaru smirked.

“I would if she was here.” That’s when Hikaru opened the door, and Gina and her fiancé walked in. Both were dressed in traditional Vulcan attire. Very fancy Vulcan attire. Even more so than for the state dinner back in December.

“OK, show me the ring.” She told her best friend.

“I didn’t get a ring; I got a ‘will you marry me’ cookie,” Gina told her friend.

“We don’t do rings in Vulcan culture because hands are sacred.” Gina’s fiancé explained.

“Doesn’t your boss have a wedding ring?” Sue is sure she’s seen the Vulcan wearing one.

“He’s half-human,” Hikaru just shrugged as if that explained it.

“Point,” Sue said just as Jim walked into the room.

“Also, I just wanted my husband to carry the intergalactic sign of get the fuck away from him. Hey, are you guys ready for us to start?” Jim asked, and Sue was very confused.

“Tell the ambassador we are ready to start the wedding ceremony,” Gina stated. That resulted in Sue giving her a perplexed look.

“We don’t want to wait to get married, so we’re doing this now so you can be there at least virtually,” Gina explained.

“Your mom is going to be so mad. She’s been planning your wedding since you were six.”

“I’m aware. We will do an earth ceremony in a couple of years.”

“Citizenship?” Sue asked.

“Citizenship. If the Enterprise education program continues, Snuggles will join us as the VSA’s rep for the next two years.” Gina explained.

“If it doesn’t, Gina will come here and take a teaching job at the International School.” Her fiancé added as she entwined their fingers together.

“They’ll need more teachers as more diplomats arrive,” Gina explained. “I might end up working there anyway after the two years. Hopefully, your mom can find more teachers by that point.”

“If the program continues and expands, she will have to for the other ships.” Sue pointed out.

“If you are done speaking, I want to begin the ceremony.” Spock’s father walked into the large conference room, followed by the others.

“We’re ready.” Both women answered together.

“Let us begin.” That’s when Sue watched her best friend of more than two decades marry the love of her life.
To be continued…

Notes:

I decided that we had to have a wedding on Valentine’s Day. Gina was the winner.

Chapter 169: Day 363: It’s Still Valentine’s Day on New Vulcan

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. You are wonderful. I appreciate all your kind words. This is another mom-figure-heavy chapter which is hard for me to write right now. But I am trying.
Once again, a reminder that these letters are arriving at Enterprise time, which is four hours ahead of New Vulcan.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: KirkWX
To: Peter_K
Time arrived: 02/15/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Greetings from London
Hey sweetie. Thank you for writing. I always look forward to your letters and the pictures that you sent me. My office is filled with them. Yes, I have an office because I am teaching classes. I also have office hours, so the kids need to be able to meet me somewhere. Several of my colleagues think you look just like me. I’ll take that as a compliment.

I’ve been back and teaching for a couple of days. Classes are going well so far. I am hopeful for a calm semester. Or at least it stays that way until Adm. Pike goes into labor.

I don’t know what to say about me being the good grandmother. I should not be anybody’s good grandmother because you know I am messed up. It makes me want to find where Arlene’s egg donor is being held and punch her. She doesn’t deserve to be called a mother and is definitely not worthy of being your grandmother. I have made mistakes, hundreds of them. However, I will do my best to ensure you are happy, safe, and loved.

I’m glad you’re learning now that everybody liking you is not essential. Some people are going to hate you just because. There is nothing you can do to change that, so don’t try to be anything other than yourself. But being a good person and kind is crucial in life. I think your Uncle Jim is definitely going to teach you the importance of being kind.

Yes, I’ve heard from your Uncle Kevin. He didn’t mention the teasing, but I have my sources. I’m glad Kevin is only doing one semester and not a double like I assume your friend Jackie is doing. She would have left Enterprise when we did If she were only doing a single semester. I’m glad you’re making friends with some of the younger interns. It’s good for you to have lots of friends. Also, in 20 years, a five-year age difference will not mean that much.

Your Uncle Spock did send me your winter break project. You wrote a fascinating paper. I also appreciate you keeping out personal family things. That shows that even though you’re young, you have a good head on your shoulder and realize some things do not need to be everybody’s business.

Anyway, keep sending more pictures. I think your uncle is trying to schedule a video call soon. I wish him luck.
X

“It’s so good to see you. Are you calling us from your father-in-law’s house? There are a lot of streamers in the background.” His mother asked as soon as she arrived on screen.

“That’s because we just had a wedding here like an hour ago,” Jim said as he used the remote to move the camera around so his mom could see all the confetti and balloons filling the room. He doesn’t know how the kids found so many balloons. They are everywhere right now.

“Whose wedding? Not Ben and Hikaru?” His mother asked. That makes sense because she is friends with Ben. “I feel like Ben would have told me something if they decided to elope virtually.”

“Nope, that is still happening this summer in Yorktown. Although now it’s May 29. Are you going to be done with classes in time to be there?” When he was a cadet, classes were usually over by the second Friday of May.

“Yes. Besides, I’m only teaching two classes, and my TA can proctor the exams if necessary. I can grade final exams from Yorktown. We are probably hitching a ride with whichever ship brings the Earth delegation to Babel.”

“That is probably true.” Jim agreed.

“Where’s your husband?” Nhi asked. She was sitting next to Winona, looking extra pregnant.

“Grabbing the kids. They were out dancing with their cousin and their favorite teacher in the living room. Gina was the one who got married. It happened an hour ago so her BFF Sue could watch.” Jim explained.

“Right, her girlfriend is Vulcan. or I guess wife now. So having a wedding while on the colony makes sense.” Winona remarked.

“Although I assume it was a last-minute wedding? Because if this was planned, I’m sure you would have scheduled this phone call for the evening our time instead of morning.” Nhi told him.

“Yes, Gina’s now wife just proposed yesterday. Since they will be separated for at least a couple of weeks, they wanted to have the wedding now so Gina could begin the citizenship process. They’re being pragmatic.” Jim explained.

“Because the inspection next week could go badly?” His mother asked.

“Potentially. Peter isn’t letting me see his project on the history of Starfleet’s use of propaganda. Josephine’s presentation is similar but focuses on the Federation as a whole. I’m not sure Commander Franco will be happy about that.” Jim decided not to convince the kids to choose different topics. If a project like that got the program shut down, then he doesn’t want to stay here.

“Andrea Franco?” Winona asked.

“Yes.”

“If it’s the same Andrea Franco, I went to the Academy with her,” Winona explained.

“It might be the same person. Per her CV, you joined Starfleet around the same time. You didn’t get in a fight with her about Dad, did you?” Jim asked.

“No. Although I remember her sending me a very nice card after I lost your father.” His mother remembered.

“That’s something, at least,” Nhi commented as she adjusted herself in her chair.

“Are you OK?” Jim asked, concerned.

“I’m OK. My back hurts a lot.” The admiral answered. “These chairs were not designed for pregnant people.”

“Or anyone else,” Winona added.

“Starfleet interior design does leave a lot to be desired.” Jim joked.

“Although it doesn’t help that I’m like 20 months pregnant.”

“You’re still lovely.”

“I look like a house,” Nhi commented.

“Just another month to go,” Jim remarked.

“That is very true, but it will be a long month. Although I’m hoping the babies show up just before spring break.”

“You’re going on parental leave anyway. So, the breaks don’t matter.”

“Yes, but post-midterms would be a better jumping-off point for my maternity leave replacement.” As Nhi explained, Spock brought the kids into the room. All three of them were wearing party hats — even his baby sister-in-law. He’s going to have to get a picture of that.

“Hi, nanna. Sorry, we were dancing. Our teacher Gina got married.” Peter explained as he sat down next to Jim. Spock moved to sit on the other side with the two girls standing behind them.

“I heard. You guys seem like you’re having fun.” Winona told her grandson.

“We are.”

“All the other kids and their parents are here now for the wedding reception,” Josephine added.

“I’m not sure how it happened, but my father-in-law managed to assemble a wedding reception in about 3 hours,” Jim explained.

“My father is a trained diplomat. He has experience in putting on receptions quickly.” Spock added.

“Yes, but…” Jim started but was cut off by his husband’s eyebrows giving him the Spock sign for please stop talking.

“Do not say it was my mother who did those things because that would be a gross assumption of gender norms.” Obviously, he thought that a little too loud, and his husband picked up on it.

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” Jim leaned over to kiss Spock, causing Peter to scrunch his nose.

“You need to get over it. I’m going to kiss my husband a lot.” Jim told his nephew.

“Someday, you’ll find somebody you want to kiss, too,” Winona told her grandson.

“Not necessarily. He could be asexual, which may explain his uncomfortableness with our displays of affection.” Spock answered.

“And there’s nothing at all wrong with that. Being asexual is perfectly normal.” Winona told her grandson.

“My roommate at the Academy was ace,” Nhi added.

“Nanna, I got your latest letter a couple of minutes ago. Although I’ll read it later tonight.” Peter said, changing the subject.

“I thought you didn’t get letters till midnight?” Winona asked.

“We don’t, but it’s 8:23 p.m. local time. It’s still Valentine’s Day here.” Peter answered.

“Another holiday spent on the colony.” Nhi smiled at the group.

“I’m glad you’re spending it on this call and not doing a Valentine’s dinner,” Winona stated.

“I am delighted to be at Gina’s wedding.” Jim did love a good wedding. It was a fun party even though he couldn’t have any pot lemon bars because he was working the next day.

“Did you perform the wedding, Spock?” Winona asked.

“I would have if it occurred on the ship. Because they decided to have it here, my father performed the bonding ceremony. They went with a mostly traditional Vulcan ceremony. They will have the Earth ceremony later when Sue can be there in person along with Gina’s mother,” Spock explained.

“This is exactly the opposite of what you and Spock did,” Winona explainedcommented.

“Pretty much.”

“So, I heard something about a school project coming up soon. I want to hear all about it.” Nhi stated.

“Hey, no need for a subject change. I understand why I wasn’t at the first wedding, but I am glad I could attend the bonding ceremony despite it being sweltering. Please tell me this was an inside wedding?”

“Yes. I’ll send you pictures of us. I know you always want more pictures.”

“Well, I want to know more about the propaganda projects.” Nhi moved closer to the camera. “Entertain the super pregnant lady.”

“It’s best to keep her entertained right now.” Winona rolled her eyes.

Xxx
“You had a fascinating couple of weeks. I can’t believe so much has happened. I swear Peter grew an inch since your birthdays.” Winona told Jim and Spock after the kids left the room again. She was happy to have an hour-long call with the kids. She knows more about what’s happening on Enterprise than she probably should but appreciates their enthusiasm.

“He did. They are getting so big. They’re going to be teenagers soon.” Jim seems sad at that revelation.

“Less than a year to go.”

“I really hope Peter isn’t me as a teenager.” Her son sighed.

“You weren’t a horrible teenager,” Winona reassured. “You took care of Kevin. You were just angry a lot.”

“Obviously, you forgot about all the bar fights and my multiple arrests.” Jim joked.

“And you still turned out perfectly okay.”

“Perfectly okay, but still in therapy,” Jim remarked as Nhi wiggled around in her chair again.

“Are you really OK?” Jim asked. “You’ve been rubbing your back this entire time.” Winona was also concerned. She wondered if her friend was starting to experience the early signs of labor. She may have lost the Valentine’s Day bet, but she wonders if she wasn’t off by that much.

 

“From the books I have read, that is a symptom of early labor.” Winona tried to hide her smirk behind her hand. Of course, her son-in-law would figure that out. He would read baby books.

“No, really, it is the chair.” Winona was trying hard not to call bull shit on that. “I’ve been here over an hour and need to pee.” That makes sense. Winona is surprised Nhi didn’t need to go to the bathroom during the last hour.

“Which means it’s our time to leave.”

“I promise I will email you when I go into labor,” Nhi told the two.

“I would prefer a rapid message. Or a video call. I think this warrants a video call, especially if we’re still at Starbase 39. Although I hope we’re done with repairs by the time you go into labor. I do want you to make it to March.” Winona knew Jim feared his other mother figure going into premature labor.

“You were earlier, and you turned out perfectly OK.” Winona tried to reassure her son.

“Except I’m like allergic to everything. I can’t even have the wedding cake.” Jim pouted.

“In his haste to plan the wedding, my father forgot to consult Jim’s allergy list before ordering the cake for the festivities. The Vulcan summerberry is in the same family as the strawberry.” Spock explained.

“Poor baby,” Nhi said in mock sympathy.

“I have virginal lemon bars, at least.”

“There is that,” Winona said as she moved to end the call. “I love you, and I’ll see you soon.”

“Love you too.”

Xxx

From: Peter_K
To: KirkWX
Time arrived: 02/15/2261 22:15:01
Subject: Greetings from a shuttle on its way back to Enterprise.

Hey, I thought I would write even though I saw you yesterday. Besides, I have time since we’re taking a shuttle back to the ship. We had to take a ship to New Vulcan because we were bringing samples and equipment last time.

It was nice to talk to you and Uncle Jim’s friend Nhi. He calls her his good mom. I hope you’re not offended by that. You’re probably not since you’re helping her with the twins. Do you know that there’s a rumor going around the ship that they’re my cousins? I know that’s untrue because Jim sees Nhi as a good mother figure as I mentioned earlier. And two, Uncle Jim can’t have biological children because he got sick a couple of years ago, and the treatment made him sterile.

We talked about it after Chris 2 made too many jokes about me getting more cousins. Uncle Spock was not amused.

Anyway, I’m glad we got to talk yesterday, and I’m looking forward to seeing you this summer. The parents are considering letting us spend several weeks in Yorktown with Grandpa. They may drop me off at Yorktown after the wedding and pick me up when they finish the Federation Gen. Assembly. Grandpa says that time with him will be more enjoyable. He might be right about that. I forgot to ask today how long you would be staying at Yorktown. Sorry about that.

I also just remembered that I saw Liz before I saw you. We got to talk after the wedding for a few minutes. She likes being at Yorktown. More than the Academy, but she misses Uncle Kevin a lot. Yes, he is writing her now. Practically daily. He still works with assholes, but apparently, it’s getting better. Liz says she’s thankfully not working with assholes. She finds Ben’s sort of mother-in-law stressful. That seemed evident from Zoe crying in the hallway after her call with her mom.

So that you know, that didn’t happen with Uncle Jim. He likes talking to you and is glad you guys have a better relationship than before. I am too. He was pleased after the call.

Anyway, I have sent you lots of pictures from today. We spent time with great grandpa and Dr. Suarez when the uncles were stuck in boring meetings. I even got to hear a few stories about Sam. The doctor knew him as well, at least a little bit. She even had a few pictures that I had never seen before. It was nice.

Anyway, write back when you can. Even though I talked to you less than 24 hours ago, I still miss you. If the Enterprise program ends, it wouldn’t be horrible because I would see you more often. But I would be away from my friends, and I don’t want that. I love all my new friends and don’t want to be away from them. I hope everything turns out OK next week.

To be continued.

Notes:

Sorry, everybody, for the later-than-normal update. I was on vacation for a couple of weeks. I opted not to take my computer with me, which means I could not update until I returned.

Chapter 170: Day 366: Happy Anniversary Enterprise

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last section. I appreciate it. We made it to the one-year mark. I can’t believe we got here. It was always my goal for this to be one year in the life of our team, and we made it.
I do know my endgame for this story and series. We’re closer to that point than many realize—more details to come.

Chapter Text

From: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time arrived: 2/18/2261 00:00:01
Subject: It was lovely to see you
I am so happy I saw you at the surprise wedding the other day. I love a good wedding, and your father-in-law does throw a charming last-minute party. Sorry about the wedding cake, but at least you realized you couldn’t have any before your cheeks swelled. Kudos to Dr. McCoy for getting you to the point where you can be in the same room as a Vulcan summerberry wedding cake and not go into anaphylaxis. Although maybe the summer berries are different enough from Earth strawberries that it doesn’t trigger the same severe reaction.

I am so sorry you spent yesterday in long meetings with the VSA when you could have spent time with the rest of us. I’ve had several meetings there over the last few weeks due to the recent planning of the new psychology program. Vulcans like to go over every single detail at least three times. I hope it wasn’t too dull.

I expect your time on Starbase 39 will go better. I know you and the children are very nervous about the inspection of the Minors on Enterprise program. Gina is too, which is why the wedding happened yesterday. If the program ends, she will apply for a teaching position at the International School. Being a Vulcan citizen will help with that.

I’m glad everyone has a backup plan if the Minors on Enterprise program is not renewed. It’s good to be pragmatic. Just don’t be overly pessimistic. For someone who doesn’t believe in no-win scenarios, you tend to expect the worst. Maybe everything will go okay this time. You never know.

I have faith in you anyway. You tend to pull off the impossible every day. You’re good at that.
Xxx
My dear sweet Sugar Vulcan:
Happy first anniversary. You have survived your first year as a captain with only a tiny coup and a couple of weird things like Ensign eating plants. I think we’ve done well. We’ve lost people like Arlene, but we gained Peter. I didn’t know when we left Earth a year ago that we would find our child on this journey, but we did. I am so grateful that I am on this journey with you. No matter what we encounter next, I know I will get through it because I have you by my side.

You are a wonderful husband, father figure, and captain—you are patient and understanding. You bring out the best in people. You are a natural leader and had much more experience than I did on day one. They should’ve made you captain instead of promoting a baby cadet. But I’m glad things went as they did because they led me to you, and I absolutely love our life together. I wouldn’t change a thing.

So hopefully, you’ll find this note while putting up your meditation mat. Peter originally wanted to surprise you with breakfast in bed, but we realized we would have to wake up at 4 AM to do that. Our child likes sleep too much. This is another reason to lament you need less sleep than me. We are going with a post-meditation breakfast. We’re trying out Amanda’s pancake recipe again. Wish us luck.

Xxx
Dear James:
Thank you for breakfast. You and Peter are improving. Your latest attempt at Amanda’s pancakes tastes very similar. The only difference is that you use the Vulcan equivalent of blueberries instead of summer berries, but it is a change I appreciate. I do not want to trigger your anaphylaxis by kissing you after consuming something you are allergic to.

I am grateful that I’ve had you with me for this year as captain of Enterprise. Everything you said that I am, you are as well. You’re great at managing the day-to-day operations of the ship. You deal with a little things, so I do not have to. You’re also better at interpersonal relationships than I am. I am glad that we are managing the ship as partners. I’m also appreciate that we are raising Peter together. I am so happy we survived this year together, and I look forward to the next four. Even if we leave the ship in the coming weeks due to the end of the program, I have no regrets.

You are well aware that I almost didn’t come back to Starfleet after my mother’s death. That might’ve been why you were given command of Enterprise instead of me. I am uncertain if I would have been in the correct headspace to be captain. That was another reason I was ready to leave and join the rest of my people in trying to create a new home, but I ran into the Elder first. He made me realize that being on Enterprise was something that I needed to do. I am so grateful for his intervention. I do not know where my life would be without being here. I am so thankful for you and for Peter.

I’m ready for whatever happens next with you by my side. I love you always, my T'hy'la.

 

Xxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: mental_health_help_desk_Suarez
Time arrived: 2/18/2261 13:23:01
Subject: Re: It was lovely to see you

If you expect the worst, you know how to get through it. I’m not saying I expect us to lose the program. I don’t. But I would rather be prepared for that possibility than not. Scenarios are less likely to be unwinnable when you prepare for all possibilities.

I am glad Gina has a backup plan. Her backup plan means that Peter won’t lose his favorite teacher. So I am grateful for that, at least.

Oh God, they did go over everything three times. Spock and I played our vocabulary game to keep things from getting monotonous. Even the newest Mrs. Gina was exhausted by it. I think that might be why she wants to come to Enterprise, besides her wife being on the ship. I’m just happy for a new member of the science team.

Also, Spock will get to speak Vulcan to somebody who is not Nyota or me. That makes my husband happy. OK, and Peter. He’s getting better at it. Our Vulcan movie night has been helping him out immensely. So, there’s that, at least.

We have another day of travel before we get to Starbase 39. We couldn’t do the big fancy dinner outside to celebrate Spock’s one year as captain. However, he did get breakfast this morning. Peter helped me; it was adorable. You have pictures. I’m also sending them to my father-in-law. I think he would like them.

Thank my husband for realizing that Vulcan summer berries are in the strawberry family. I’m grateful not to spend the entire wedding with a swollen tongue. I’m glad that you and the Elder were there for the celebration. The old Vulcan seemed happy. Maybe he’s just grateful for the chance to spend time with the great-grandbabies. I’m glad we ended up doing that instead of our romantic dinner.

However, we do have reservations for the day after we arrive. Somewhere very exclusive where I can get an actual steak, and the husband can get a cauliflower steak that tastes like something.

We have a ton of meetings scheduled when we get to the base, so we need to take a moment for ourselves. I know the inspection is going to take a lot of our time. However, I’m unsure if we’re being interviewed as ship captains or as parents of kids in the program. Probably both.

Anyway, write back when you get a chance. These letters are already taking more time to get to us.

PS: The Sulu wedding is now on 29 May. It’s a bit of a moving target. I think we were so distracted with Gina’s wedding that no one told you. I know for a fact you’re getting an invite. You should try getting to Yorktown for a few days this summer.

 

To be continued…

Chapter 171: Day 369: I apologize for my lack of writing.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of letters. I really appreciate it.

Chapter Text

From: Elizabeth_Chen
To: Peter_K; kitten_loverJJMU
Time arrived: 2/21/2261 00:00:01
subject: Sorry this took so long.
Hi everyone. Sorry for not writing as much as I should. One would think I have more time to write now that I am not wrangling a toddler, but I am still super busy with the internship. A few weeks in, I’m willing to acknowledge that I probably shouldn’t have taken a full course load this semester. I’ve done worse before, and I will get through this. At least I am not entirely covered in french fry grease right now.

It’s just that I’m now getting emails from my boyfriend almost every day, and he’s kind of my first choice to write to. But he told me he’s finally writing to you guys, and I decided I needed to write to my favorite tweens. Also, I feel you deserve an apology for all his ranting in his letter.

My Yorktown internship is exciting. Since this is my second time around, I have an idea of what I am doing. Because of that, I have more responsibilities, and I’m helping train the other interns. Also, I am glad I get to do a second tour because star base life differs from ship life. I think it’s crucial for me to see the difference firsthand. I want to experience all the different types of assignments in Starfleet.

Although I will never volunteer for a colony assignment, I have too much trauma associated with colony life. I’m surprised I did so well on New Vulcan. New Vulcan is significantly more stable than Tarsus despite being such a young colony. They have so many redundancies in place to avoid a Tarsus situation. Also, I feel like the New Vulcan government will not cover up that their people are starving. At a minimum, your grandfather, Peter, wouldn’t stand for that.

How are your classes going? My classes are going OK. Because of the time difference with San Francisco and the decision that real-time deep space streaming isn’t within the budget, I get to watch lectures afterward, which isn’t horrible. I can choose to watch when it works best for my schedule, usually first thing in the morning before work. Boring class lectures and oatmeal work very well together. Although it’s becoming apparent, I’m getting more out of the internship than the classes. That’s another reason I’m glad I decided to do a second internship.

I am now working on my first term paper for the semester. Although hopefully, nothing I write will end up being classified. Good work on the Vulcan history project. Are you doing any more projects like that? Hopefully, you’ll avoid having to be classified again.

Anyway, the girls miss you. They had way too much fun with everyone on the colony. Send pictures. I’m sending you a ton of videos. Make sure you share them with their daddy.

Xxx
From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: kitten_loverJJMU; Peter_K
Time arrived: 2/21/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I had a great time at your teacher’s wedding

I am very thankful I got to see you and all my other friends from Enterprise, even if it was only for a couple of days. I’ve been writing Ashley three and two, but I enjoyed getting to talk to the others. Jay and Chris one have also requested correspondence. At least this way, I won’t run out of people to write to for the class project. I’m grateful I made many new friends, even if they do not live on New Vulcan.

Also, that I could be a part of Gina’s wedding. This was the first wedding I attended. I enjoyed it immensely. Although from what I’ve been told, the cake was an Earth tradition. I believe all parties are better with cake.

Josephine, the ambassador enjoyed the painting that you brought him. He actually hung it up in his office. Not the one at the compound, but the one at the VSA. He has received several compliments so far. One person even inquired about the identity of the artist. He was happy to tell them that his granddaughter did it. Since your mother is now part of our house because of her familial psychic bond with my foster brother, technically, you are the ambassador’s granddaughter. Your mom is also a sister of sorts to me.

I did ask the ambassador why I’m still only a foster child. That’s when I found out that he legally can not adopt me until fostering me for an entire year. However, the lawyers are ready to file the adoption papers as soon as we hit the one-year mark. I feel more secure knowing there is a timetable for my adoption, and it’s coming. That the ambassador isn’t planning to send me back. I like all of you, and I don’t want to leave.

So have you reached your Starbase yet? Have you met the person who’s going to be evaluating the program? I hope things go well. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to you and Peter moving here. You would be in the house next door, and we could always be together. You would even be in classes with me. I’m making friends at the international school, but I want more. You and Peter get me the most.

X
From: kitten_loverJJMU
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
CC: Peter_K
Time arrived: 2/21/2261 10:12:04
Subject: Re: I had a great time at your teacher’s wedding

It wouldn’t be horrible if we had to move to New Vulcan. Although Mom and Dad would stay behind on Enterprise, I would live with Uncle Jim and Spock, which wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen, especially if Aunt Lena moved to the colony. It’s possible. She’s currently studying like crazy for the Vulcan Bar exam.

I forgot to thank Grandpa for getting us the correct data chips for the Vulcan Bar exam. The study materials for outsiders are missing many things about Vulcan law. After what I learned from the great Vulcan history project during winter break, I am neither shocked nor surprised. Classifying the project to keep on the good side of the Vulcan authorities reinforces that.

At the same time, I also wouldn’t want to leave all my other friends like Ashley two and three, and Jay. I adore all of them. Chris 1 as well. If the program ends, they’ll probably end up on Earth or elsewhere except for maybe Ashley three. She could end up with us because her aunt fell in love with the VSA, and they really do need more doctors here, especially doctors who understand Vulcans. But that would mean leaving her boyfriend behind, and that would make her sad.

My dad could also be a new doctor on the colony. I think there might be some deal going on with the parents where they would trade off. I don’t know yet. It’s all hypothetical at the moment. Nothing more than a backup plan.

We got to Starbase 39 late yesterday, local time. However, these letters appeared in my inbox at 6 AM local time, so the time zones are all mixed up again. I won’t even figure out how that relates to New Vulcan. I will have such jet lag because I have changed time zones drastically three times in a week. Thankfully, we weren’t on New Vulcan long enough for it to sit in. Although I wish we were because I miss you too.

Anyway, we don’t begin our inspection until tomorrow when we meet the commander, Antonia Franco. She is interviewing us tomorrow, and the next day she will sit in on our presentations. I’m finishing up last-minute preparations on that. I am meeting my team in half an hour. Peter is staying over tonight because the Uncles are having a romantic dinner, but we won’t get to do sleepover things because of schoolwork. [Frustrated emoji]

If things go well, we’re going to an amusement park to celebrate the program’s continuation. If things go wrong, we’re still going to the amusement park, but it will be the last farewell before we’re all shipped off to other places. I hope it will be a celebration.

I should cut this letter short. This complex is enormous, and it will take me time to meet the others.

I’ll keep you posted on what’s happening with the program. I am less nervous, knowing that the worst thing that will happen is that we will end up living in New Vulcan together. I don’t have to worry about getting shipped off to the judge, which makes things easier to deal with. It always helps when there’s a plan. I think that’s probably why you feel better knowing that grandpa plans to adopt you eventually
.

Xx
From: Peter_K
To: Elizabeth_Chen
CC: kitten_loverJJMU

Time arrived: 2/21/2261 14:23:01
subject: Re: Sorry this took so long.

It’s OK that it took you a little while to write. Mainly because we just saw you. Even if it was just for a few minutes during the wedding, you looked good, even if a little exhausted.

I just put the finishing touches on the school project this afternoon. We met at one of the cafés on base. I love non-replicated muffins. Uncle Spock and Jim try to cook actual food, but we’re on the ship, so the ingredients are replicated half the time. But pancakes made out of replicated flour still taste better than replicated pancakes. I can’t explain it, but maybe it’s because replicated food is too perfect. At least making it by hand makes it imperfect, and therefore it tastes better because of the imperfections. That’s Uncle Jim’s philosophy, anyway. I kind of like it.

I hope everything goes well in the next few days with the inspection. I don’t know if I want to live in a colony again full-time. Neither one of us has had very good experiences with colony life. Intellectually I realize that New Vulcan is very different from Devon or Tarsus, but it’s still a colony.

Yes, they’re learning from the mistakes of other places, but nobody saw the parasite that attacked Devon coming, except for Great Grandpa. However, it showed up earlier than the last time around. He thought he had a few more years to keep it from happening. Or maybe because Sam Kirk was already dead in this timeline, he thought it wouldn’t happen. I don’t know.

I don’t want to leave my friends. I’ve already lost too many friends before. It would be different this time because they would be alive to write me. However, I had friends on Earth too before we moved to Devon, and none of them wrote me again after the first letter or two.

I don’t even know if they know about my mother’s death. I didn’t tell them. I think I wanted to pretend that nothing happened for the first couple of months. That I didn’t lose my mom, and I wasn’t stuck living on a starship with family members that I literally met a day before I lost my mother. However, after Christmas, I got used to this family and the idea that we were all together forever. Because of Starfleet bureaucracy, I might lose it. That scares me.

I like being on New Vulcan and being around the grandparents. I even want to attend college at the VSA, but that’s different than the entire family settling on the planet permanently. I don’t know how to explain why I’m so unsettled. Maybe I’m just scared. Or perhaps the idea of the entire family moving to the colony is a trigger and makes me remember Devon. I should probably talk to Dr. Margarita. She understands me. Too well, really.

 

The Uncles are having a romantic dinner alone tonight, so I am at Josephine’s. They are in one of the family apartments. We have bunkbeds, which is nice. I am in the top bunk pictures attached.

Thanks for all the pictures. I didn’t get to see the babies because, as you know, they fell asleep during the wedding, and your sister took them back for a nap. I can’t wait to see them at their dad’s wedding this summer. That’s going to be great.

Xxxx
Dear Sugar Vulcan:

If you are reading this, that means you found my present. I’m looking forward to our date tonight and want you to dress your best. I picked this out during our layover on New Vulcan. I asked Gina to pick it up when she got her wedding dress/robes. Thankfully she obliged. You always look hot in traditional robes.

I am looking forward to taking them off later.

Happy belated Valentine’s Day/one year of surviving Enterprise. You deserve all the chocolate for putting up with me. Love you.

Always your James.
Xx

Dear James:
I do not merely put up with you. I treasure you, and I hate to be away from you. However, I am grateful that we can spend this time alone. I’m glad our assistant could schedule it. Although Valentine’s Day is not a Vulcan tradition, I enjoy participating in any cultural ritual that allows me to express my love and devotion to you.

I love you too, my T'hy'la.

To be continued.

Chapter 172: Day 371: Greetings from the Fun Uncle

Summary:

Thank you to everybody who has read or reviewed the last set of letters. You are all great. I always appreciate the encouragement.

Chapter Text

From: Kevin KR
To: Peter_K; kitten_loverJJMU
Time arrived: 02/23/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Re: Greetings from Middle School Hell

I really want to know how an ensign lost a hand, but I’m afraid to ask. This might be a question for my brother next time I write to him. I’m intrigued.

I promise I’m writing people more. Liz practically every day now. I’ve also written to my mom and some friends still at the Academy. I do have friends other than Liz. One of them is Josephine’s aunt, but that counts.

Things are slightly better. Mostly because I’ve switched rooms. I’m in a double by myself at the moment. I did have a roommate until three days ago when the guy did something so stupid that he ended up in the Brig. I’m not going to ask questions. Although I think I understand why there was an open bed available here. I’m sure they’ll move one of the interns in the triple in with me, but I will appreciate the solitude while I can.

I’m trying to get along with my fellow interns. However, my current strategy is to keep my head down for the next four months. Also, to not punch anybody who’s spreading really dumb rumors about my brother. Even if he were Nhi’s sperm donor, it would be none of their business. Not that that can happen because…

Are you aware of why that cannot happen? If not, ask Jim. I don’t tell other people’s deep secrets. Not intentionally, anyway. I feel like my big brother would be mad at me for having this type of conversation with 12-year-olds.

So where are you guys now? Are you still dealing with plants that eat you, or is the ship already on its next assignment? Or are you picking up people? If I remember correctly, that’s supposed to happen between New Vulcan and the next assignment. Is Scotty back?

How are classes? Any big projects? I’m only doing two classes this semester. Both are essentially independent study which I think works better during an internship. Liz has to deal with prerecorded lectures. I’m glad I am avoiding that. Also, at least I can do my classwork now that I’m alone.

Anyway, please write. It breaks up the monotony.
XXXX
From: Peter_K
To: Kevin KR
CC: kitten_loverJJMU
Time sent: 2/23/2261 01:23:21
Subject: Greetings from Starbase 39, still middle school hell

I am not sure if Uncle Jim included anything in his letter to you about the Audreys, but I guess I should explain anyway. Audrey is what we’re calling the plants we discovered when surveying one of the planets near New Vulcan. They are carnivorous, and one chomped off a team member’s hand.

Audrey 3 is currently in botany in her own little glass case. She’s one of the plants that the Vulcan Science Academy did not take with them. Audrey 3 likes chocolate chip cookies and cheeseburgers. I’m not even joking. The scientists have been trying different foods to see how she behaves; those are her favorites. I don’t know why the carnivorous plant likes chocolate, but that’s none of my concern.

We are on Starbase 39 right now. We have been here for about four days. (We are still waiting on Mr. Scott.) The time difference is weird because we get these emails at 6:00 AM local time. I read this just in time to write a letter before class.

Today we’re doing our presentations for our federation history project. I have the history of Starfleet propaganda. Josephine did her project on the history of federation propaganda. We might have chosen different subjects if we knew that a Rep from Starfleet would be assessing our class during these presentations. Oh well, it’s too late to change things now.

The program is getting reevaluated since it’s been a year. I wonder if we would have been asked to go to a star base anyway, even if engineering was not blown up during Christmas. Maybe they would’ve just come to us.

Anyway, we had our one-on-one interviews with Professor Franco yesterday. She prefers professor to her Starfleet rank. She is the head of the International School. I told her how much better the program on Enterprise is compared to my self-study program on Devon. I’m not a fan of self-study myself. Even the video lectures that Liz is dealing with would have been preferable.

I said nice things about Gina. I also mentioned that I don’t want to lose any of my friends. So, I hope it was enough. Otherwise, Josephine and I are moving to New Vulcan. The uncles will follow behind as soon as they can. Although I hope it doesn’t come to that. I have too many friends here that I don’t want to leave. I was practically by myself on Devon. I don’t want that again. Also, I don’t know if I want to go live on a colony full-time. Going to school or visiting my grandfather is different.

I got to see Liz a couple of days ago. We were on New Vulcan for Valentine’s Day. We had to drop off the scientists in person. It was safer that way because they were bringing down a lot of plant samples, except for Audrey three, whom nobody wanted to take. I think they’re all scared of Audrey. But we like her.

 

Anyway, we had a big family party because Gina got married. It was a last-minute wedding. Possibly to ensure she could obtain Vulcan citizenship if the program does get canceled. Gina had to get married with Sue watching, so there was a video call. I got to speak to Liz for a few minutes. I heard all about you writing her. She appreciates it. She also emailed us kids as well. I wrote the response to that letter. It was my turn.

You should probably know that the Sulu wedding is happening earlier because the ship will be stuck going to the Federation general Assembly. Do you think you’ll be in Yorktown by May 29? We’ll have it either the day before or the day after we pick up everybody from Yorktown to take to the Babel conference. It’s going to be a major pickup point. Then the plan is to leave us with Grandpa.

Of course, this all changes if the program isn’t renewed. I think Uncle Spock wants Sue to replace him. Or maybe Uncle Jim stays, and Uncle Spock goes to New Vulcan with the kids. I don’t think that will happen long-term, though, because I don’t think they can be apart from each other for long periods of time. They would be absolutely miserable.

Anyway, wish me luck on my project today. Fingers crossed that I don’t do something that gets the whole program canceled.

 

PS: Me and Josephine are well aware of why I am going to be an only child for a while. Uncle Jim is getting better at talking about it.
To be continued…

Chapter 173: Days 373: Greetings from Your Baby’s Mama

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read and reviewed the last chapter. You are all so wonderful. As always, I appreciate all the feedback and kudos. I definitely needed them for this batch of chapters.

Chapter Text

From: Mommy_Susan
To: SuluHG2260
Time arrived: 2/25/2261 00:00:01
Subject: At least we have a plan now

Do you know I got this letter the same day I got your message about the wedding planning video conference? I don’t think I mentioned that in my message to you. Because of that, I decided to wait until the day after the call to write your reply. This way, I can ask you all about Gina and give you the read-out on your sister.

I knew that Gina was considering marriage, but I had no idea it would be that quick. When did they even get engaged? I feel like I should’ve gotten a “Hey, guess what? We’re getting married” message. I never got one, so it may have been a short engagement. I’m happy for them, in any case. They’ve been together for over a decade. They deserve this so much. And I’m glad they’ll be on the ship together. Fingers crossed. I know Gina is worried it will go badly, but I believe things will work out.

We talked to your sister this morning about the new wedding date. She took it better than I thought she would. She’s only slightly upset about having two fewer weeks to plan the wedding. (She is grateful she no longer has to compete with the Federation General Assembly.)

Although she’s unhappy about the varying wedding dates, she will make it work. I’m sure she’ll be rapid messaging you separately about details. Good luck.

The good news is we won’t need as many hotel rooms. We will have even fewer people at the wedding than initially planned. Only your sisters and the kids are coming along with Liz’s lawyer friend. Your parents are going to attend virtually. That’s probably for the best. The fewer parents at this, the better.

Baby K’s grandmother hates me a little less. I owe Zoe a gift basket for whatever she said to her mother yesterday. I even got an apology. A half apology, but still an apology. I appreciate it all the same. Hopefully, babysitting will be less awkward. She doesn’t see me as a threat to your impending marriage. Thank the universe for that.

Although she does keep asking me why I am not participating in the ceremony, my mom asks the same question a lot. I love you, and you are aware of that. However, I don’t love you as Ben loves you. But I am still in this family and don’t need a wedding ring to prove that. I am happy being the baby’s mama that you sometimes have sex with.

Besides, I don’t think I’m a marriage person. Me helping you and Ben plan the ceremony is as much marriage as I can take. I don’t even know how the two of you managed to get me to help you guys plan this thing. I am sure alcohol was involved. I am almost glad Gina decided to elope, even though her mom will be super pissed. This is probably why they’ll still have an earth ceremony eventually. I am almost tempted to stick your sister on them. She would plan a dream wedding.

That will make her feel better about you and Ben scaling back. Because we don’t know what the exact day of the wedding is going to be until April, we’re going with a smaller, more intimate ceremony. The chocolate fountain is officially out. Also, with just friends and family, there might only be a nice dinner at the hotel instead of a big reception. Honestly, I was not sure how your sister was going to pull that off if the Federation General Assembly went through as planned.

I saw the ring. You have exquisite taste in jewelry. I barely kept Ben from seeing the ring because the man always reads over my shoulder. Be grateful I got your pictures while I was at work. You really should’ve sent them through the work account. My mom is going to be reading the emails either way. Or at least her team will be. She says she’s not personally screening my emails, but I don’t believe her. I expect another email from her about an hour after I hit the send button.

Work is still going well. I’ve made a few new friends. I have also brought Ben with me to a few after-hours wine nights. Nobody has said anything about me being friends with my baby’s daddy‘s fiancé. Most don’t know we live together even though we have separate rooms.

I am now regretting giving the girls the master because neither one of us can put a king-size bed in our room, so it’s going to be tight this summer. Because of the wedding change, you’ll be with us for several weeks. I hope you have vacation time saved up because we have plans.

So, what’s going on with you? Does my best friend still have a job? Or do I need to help her pick curtains for her new house on New Vulcan? Write back when you get a chance.
Xxxx
From: SuluHG2260
To Mommy_Susan:
Time sent: 2/25/2261 12:23:21
Subject: I look forward to using up all of my vacation time

You don’t want to know how much vacation time I have. I received a bunch of extra vacation time after the battle of Vulcan and the Vengeance fiasco that I never took. So I do have time for three weeks off. However, I might be doing some work at the Vulcan embassy. They love me. I might be their favorite human now. I have been sending so many emails to the VSA regarding my work. I keep getting lots of notes and questions. Gina’s wife says I shouldn’t be surprised.

I already gave her my sister’s contact information. Gina asked for it. Jim showed her pictures of the last-minute ceremony my sister arranged for him and Spock. However, when Gina and the wife have the Earth ceremony depends on if the program stays.

Gina is a little more hopeful about the situation now that she’s gone through her interviews and the kids did their presentations. Nothing extremely scandalous happened. Commander Franco also asked good questions. I was there to watch. Technically, it should’ve been Jim or Spock, but since their kid was involved, they couldn’t be there to represent Enterprise, so the job fell to me.

We will know tomorrow if Commander Franco is killing the program. If that does happen, the wedding will happen sooner rather than later. At least as soon as you can arrange for time away. I don’t know if it’ll happen on Earth or not, but the mother of the bride will be there. You will have to ask Gina for details.

I am kind of glad we’re on a break right now. Those last few weeks have been intense with the VSA, so I’m glad we have time to recover. We have a trip to an amusement park in a few days. I’ve been talked into being a chaperone. I don’t know what happened. I think I really wanted cotton candy and couldn’t say no. Gina wants at least one adult per teenager, and none of the engineering parents are available. Besides, I would like your best friend to like me.

 

I’m glad things are going a little better with the mother-in-law. Zoe tried her best. She’s partial to the Vulcan lemon bars if you are going to send her a gift basket. I feel like she can use all the Vulcan cannabis she can get with a mom like that. That’s not even addressing her father. It’s all a lot.

Do you want me to talk to your mom about pressuring you to get married? That’s always your call. And you’re right. You and I do have a different relationship than Ben and me. But you’re still special to me, and I adore you. You know I will do whatever you need. The next part is for the babies.

To my darling girls:
I’m so happy I saw you at your Aunt Gina’s wedding. The two of you were adorable in your little Valentine’s Day dresses. All the hearts were cute. I’m glad you were there for your aunt’s wedding. I’m grateful whenever I see you, your mommy, and your daddy.

As you know, I will see you guys in about three months for the wedding. Then I’ll get to spend several weeks with you guys. You have no idea how much I’m looking forward to it. In the meantime, I’m probably going to send presents. There’s an amusement park in my immediate future. So, expect at least two teddy bears. I’m very good at darts.

Anyway, be good for your mom and dad. Spend as much time with Aunt Liz as possible. Baby D, I think she still misses being with you all the time. Give Grammy grace. She’s doing her best. She’ll get there in the end.

To be continued …

Chapter 174: Day 375: The Starfleet rumor mill is undefeated

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of messages. I really appreciate it.

Welcome to a new batch of chapters. I did the rough drafts of the next six chapters at the same time as the previous batch in April 2023. I didn’t get back to them until August due to working on other stories and three weeks of vacation. I probably shouldn’t have waited four months to do rewrites, but these things happen.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

From: MomOU
To: NyotaUM
Time arrived: 2/27/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I would love to do a call
I should not be surprised that you heard way too much about your father’s wedding that didn’t happen. The Starfleet rumor mill remains undefeated. For example, due to the rumor mill, I know that your ship’s first officer actually discovered invisible rocks. Also, he was allegedly in sick bay for a week and may or may not have been in a coma. Maybe the rumor mill gets the details wrong half the time, but in general, the rumor mill knows most things.

The rumor mill knows way too much about my divorce. I’ve gotten so many condolence drinks from colleagues that it’s ridiculous. I’ve also received several congratulatory drinks. At least I’m getting the good stuff.

I also got an excellent thank you letter from your almost stepmom. She appreciated the bottle of wine I sent her. She wants to get drinks and compare notes. I’m tempted to say yes.

Your father is trying to suck up to me. I don’t even know why. I have no desire to talk to him again. But unfortunately, we’re still both in Starfleet and serving in the same city for the moment. He keeps coming up with reasons to be at the Academy. I hope his next assignment takes him several lightyears away. I am completely over him.

I mentioned that to Adm. Chen when I had cocktails with her the other day. Not that I expect her to actually make it happen. She brought your gifts with her. Thank you for the Vulcan tea set. Also, thank you for the lemon bars. I had one after your father called me. I needed it.

I am looking forward to our call. You probably will get a work email later today regarding logistics. Do you want me to invite Josephine’s aunt to join us? The Admiral says she is a lovely woman. Adm. Chen is trying to convince her to join Starfleet Legal. I heard she is taking the Vulcan Bar exam in the summer. She must be brilliant. That exam is notoriously difficult. No one non-Volcan passed the thing until after the cataclysm. Of course, after that happened, they had no choice but to bring outsiders in to rebuild.

I have no desire to pressure you into joining the command track. I understand finding your niche and wanting to stay there. I just mentioned that it might be easier if you had command as a second option. You may not be able to get a position on Leonard's ship as a chief communications officer, but you might be able to be there as a First Officer. It’s something to consider.

Adm. Chen also mentioned that the Enterprise minors program is being reevaluated. She is concerned that it will get shut down because people are still mad at her for taking over for Marcus. Like it’s her fault that her predecessor managed to get all of his competition murdered.

I would ask you if a decision has been made, but I’m sure I’ll find out when we have our call. If the worst happens, know that Josephine can live with me. My days of ship living are long over, and I would be happy to have my granddaughter live with me.

 

There’s a chance this letter might get to you after our video call. If so, I apologize. Anyway, I can’t wait to hear from you.
Xxx

Excerpts from the diary of Peter Samuel Kirk-Grayson
February 27, 2261
Dear diary:

So today is the day we find out if the program stays and I don’t have to lose all my friends again. I’m so nervous. I hate that one person can decide if I get to stay with my friends or not. I’m nervous. I actually threw up twice this morning. Uncle Spock wanted to call Dr. McCoy in, but Uncle Jim convinced him it was stress and I needed to relax. Like that’s going to happen.

I will keep getting more nauseous until I find out what Commander Franco decided. The uncles are finding out now. I feel like I’m about to throw up again.

I really like how things are and don’t want things to change. Oh well, we’ll know in an hour. Wish me luck.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Admiral Oddoye from Lieutenant Commander Uhura
Hey, I’m sending this reply as a rapid message, so you’ll get it before our call. Change of plans. We’re doing the video call at 9 AM your time on March 1 now instead of tomorrow. That’s six hours later here.

Sorry, the kids are going to an amusement park tomorrow, and I don’t want to hold Josephine back to make the call. We could do it afterward, but there’s a good chance the kids will pass out.

I’m sorry about this. When I scheduled the call, I thought the amusement park visit would be today. But we wanted to wait until after the final decision, for the program came down, before taking the kids there. Jim and Spock are literally in the meeting with Starfleet brass at the moment. It could go either way. The kids are all nervous wrecks right now. Peter threw up this morning, and Josephine doesn't want to eat anything.

Because Lena agreed to participate in the call, it is happening at her boss’s house. I think there’s some stuff that they want to go over with Leonard beforehand. I am sending you the GPS coordinates.

Thank you for offering to take care of Josephine for us. I really do appreciate the offer. Thankfully, we’re not going to need it. Jim just texted me that the program is staying. He wants me to be there when we tell the kids. Also, I am supposed to bring cookies. I’m grabbing them out of the secret stash. Thank you for sending more cookies.

I’m supposed to tell you that he just broke his foot, but it’s better now. Yes, the rumor mill is that stupid. Also, maybe they got some things from before mixed in. Jim has gone the entire first year of the mission without going into a coma, and we are proud.

To be continued…

Notes:

Our Enterprise kids are getting to stay together. You may now start throwing confetti.

Chapter 175: Day 377: A roller coaster of emotions

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of messages. I appreciate it. I’m currently working on the next batch of chapters, so I need all your encouragement.

Chapter Text

Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy
March 2, 2261
Dear diary:
I am so sorry I didn’t write yesterday. I fell asleep as soon as we got back from the park. Also, I think my body is still mixed up with the time zone differences. Maybe by the time we leave next week, I’ll be used to it. I feel like New Vulcan was easier to deal with.

The park next door was nice. It's not Disneyland of Georgia nice, but nice. We mostly hung out in the water park. I do love the lazy river, and so do all the other Ashley’s. Dad was a little concerned about my bikini. Mom told him to get over it and that two pieces are easier to deal with. I love Mommy Ny.

I’m glad the trip was a celebration, and not all the kids being stressed out over losing the program. I’m so happy we’re going to be together for a while. Also, we’re going to get more people this summer. I’m looking forward to more classmates. Hopefully, no one will be Jeremy or Chris 3 bad.

This morning, we have our tour of the Starbase. Then, in the afternoon, I have my call with Aunt Lena and Grandma. I haven’t seen Mommy Ny’s mom since the Christmas before leaving, well over a year ago. I’m worried about that, but I’m glad Aunt Lena will be there. It should be interesting.

Xxx
Lena was getting used to the video room at her boss's house. It definitely came in handy for meetings like this. Shawn and Cory were kind enough to provide her with bagels and a virgin Mimosa as she waited for her brother-in-law to pop up. Thankfully, he did after a few minutes.

“Leonard, it’s always great to see my favorite family member,” Lena remarked as she sipped her drink.

“It’s good to see you too, Lena. I’m sorry we couldn’t talk at Christmas.” Her brother-in-law replied.

“I completely understand why you weren’t there. You and your girlfriend are very busy professionals. I’m glad I got to see Josephine. Thank you for inviting me to join this call.” He wasn’t expecting the invite, but she was happy about it.

“Thank your bosses for hosting.”

“I’m just grateful I don’t have to deal with rush-hour traffic on the way to Starfleet HQ. Also, this is no longer at 3 AM San Francisco time.”

“Sorry. We didn’t realize that Starbase 39 was not on Starfleet standard time when we originally scheduled the call.” Leonard explained.

“It makes sense that it’s not on standard time since it’s not an artificial installation like Yorktown.”

“Unfortunately, we didn’t consider that until we got here, and we all had to get used to the time difference.”

“Where is my niece?” Lena asked.

“Eating lunch. Nyota will bring her in soon, but I wanted to talk to you alone about the judge for a few minutes.”

“It’s a mess. Him paying off your family is the tip of the iceberg. If they ever recover the money from the most recent ex-wife, half of it belongs to you for the sale of your family medical practice.” She can’t believe the laundry list of illegal things her father got away with. It was almost like he was running his own Mafia. That’s precisely what he was doing. And somehow, she didn’t see it.

“I don’t care about that. Money barely matters anymore. In a few years, it will probably be a thing of the past.”

“I know. But I’m still angry on your behalf. He is now being held without bail on at least one murder charge as well as multiple racketeering charges. There might be more. They’re opening an investigation into Jocelyn’s death.” Lena was surprised she didn’t start crying as she told Leonard this.

“Do they expect to find anything? You and I both know she was an alcoholic.” Leonard tells her.

“I know. I found enough empty bourbon bottles in the toilet to be aware of the problem. However, it doesn’t matter how much bourbon you drink if your braking system was tampered with. Along with the auto drive.” Her voice cracks as she speaks.

“Is that what happened?” Leonard asked.

“We don’t know yet.” But it’s looking that way after finding the judge’s angry emails about her sister possibly making a deal to testify against him. “Don’t mention anything about it when Josephine gets here. She doesn’t need to know about that.”

“I won’t. Ny just texted. They’re going to be here in a moment.” Leonard explained.

“I am glad to have a warning.” It gave her a few moments to compose herself before her niece arrived.

“Aunt Lena,” Josephine shouted happily as she entered the room. Somehow, her niece grew at least an inch in the last two months. Lena is sure she will end up as tall as her father.

“There is my favorite niece. Did you bring any of your friends this time?” Lena asked.

“No. Everybody else is busy with the Starbase tour.” Her niece explained. “Although Peter says hi.”

“Tell him hi back. I’m glad you could take time out of your busy schedule to join me. How is Starbase life?” Lena asked.

“Better that we’re now actually going on regular field trip activities and not dealing with the inspection. Thankfully, we won’t have to deal with this until next year.” Josephine sighed in relief.

“So, you’re not moving to New Vulcan?” That question was directed to the grown-ups.

“Not yet. Maybe in a couple of years if Grandpa gets the VSA to do the exchange program. He’s working on it.” Her niece explained.

“The program is staying in place for at least another year. There are even plans for expansion.” Nyota explained.

“Good to know,” Lena commented as the door opened to reveal Nyota’s mother.

 

“Am I late?” The admiral asked as she took her seat.

“Hi, mom. No, we started a little early.” Nyota told her mother.

“We were just talking about how I don’t have to move to new Vulcan now,” Josephine told her grandmother happily.

“I heard. Congratulations.

“We are all grateful for it,” Nyota added.

“Especially my teacher, Gina. Her wife will join this ship permanently at the end of May.” Josephine added.

“Not now?” Lena asked.

“She needs to finish her current research before becoming Enterprise’s VSA representative,” Nyota explained.

“Plus, we have to finalize the agreement between the two institutions. Thankfully, that’s not my department.” The admiral added.

“It’s always great when it’s not your department,” Leonard added.

“So very much.”

“So, tell me everything.”

“We went to an amusement park yesterday.”

“Where she ate way too much cotton candy and barely avoided a sunburn.” Leonard was not amused.

“I sent you both lots of pictures. I also got my face painted.” She pointed to the rainbow on her cheek that was mostly still intact.

“That sounds like fun,” Lena commented just as Josephine explained how she won a giant stuffed panda that would barely fit in her room on the ship.
XXXX
Excerpts from the diary of Josephine Jamie Uhura-McCoy
March 2, 2261

So, the meeting with Lena and Grandma went well. They loved my Christmas presents and the paintings are in their respective offices. I also learned about Aunt Lena’s Valentine’s Day date with Chloe. It was terrific, and they had been on two dates since then. I’m glad I got to do it in the video call because I could see her blushing. She definitely had a good date. I’m so happy for her; she deserves it. I’m also glad she won’t have to end things with Chloe to take care of me on New Vulcan.

At the same time, I wonder if there’s something I’m not being told. I know Dad went to the conference room 15 minutes before us. It was probably about the judge. Things are not good, like he’s being held on murder charges.

No one told me. I found out by searching for it. However, I think I will stop checking up on him because every time I check, I find out something awful that he did, like taking the family business away from Dad or disabling the auto drive on one of the partner’s cars. That may have also happened to a few witnesses who may or may not have gone into a ravine.

Maybe it’s better I don’t know.

Anyway, it was a good visit. Mom and her mom did not start screaming at each other, which is all I can hope for. They’re doing better, which is good. Mom cried happy tears afterward. It was good for her to talk to her mom. They hung out 30 minutes after Aunt Lena left. I still have no good grandfathers that are non-Vulcan. However, Grandma is becoming friends with the almost step-grandmother. I’m unsure how that happened, but I’m all for it.

Anyway, I am off to have dinner with my friends. We’re still celebrating the fact that we’re not getting split up. That deserves fancy hot chocolate at one of the good restaurants on base.
To be continued…

Chapter 176: Day 379: I am still really, really pregnant

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. You are fabulous.

Chapter Text

From: Number_one_Pike
To: Spock's_cuddlebunny; Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 03/04/2261 00:00:01
Subject: I am still really, really pregnant.

I enjoyed talking to you and the kids the other day. I’m sorry we had to end things early because of my poor pregnancy bladder. It was an excellent call. I’m glad I got to meet your sister-in-law. I am looking forward to seeing her this summer. I am still scheduled to go to Yorktown. It will be at the end of my maternity leave, so I’ll get to spend time with the kids.

Although I am sad that I won’t spend that much time with you. I am so sorry you must accept an award for the Vengeance incident. How are you dealing with that? I know those couple of weeks were traumatic for all of us. The second year isn’t always easier than the first.

I don’t know if it will be better for me this year with the twins. Last year, I had getting pregnant to focus on. I will have the babies and the wedding to distract myself this year. I am Winona’s plus-one. She is the best woman. Ben officially got her to say yes, mainly because nobody else not related to his first husband would be attending on his side. Winona agrees it’s bad luck for the first husband’s family to participate in the wedding, especially when it’s super complicated.

Did you know I got your letter two days before the video call? I was relieved to know I hit the send button last time. I decided to wait until my twins’ checkup to write back.

I know you were worried because I couldn’t sit still during the call, but the doctor says everything is going well. I have a little bit longer to go before the twins get here. However, they are starting to get into position. I expect nothing less of my kids. It’s probably going to be a few more weeks. I hope it happens while you’re still at Starbase 39, but I also would like to make it till March at least.

So, are you on your way to your next assignment yet or still at Starbase 39? I know you could be long gone when you got this email. What was the outcome of the inspection of the kids' program? Will I have to send you a housewarming present for your new place on New Vulcan?

I hope the program continues because I know how much you adore Enterprise. At the same time, you could be around more for the twins if you leave ship life behind. They need their big brother/uncle figure around as much as possible. That’s more likely to happen if you live in the New Vulcan colony.

I am still looking at names. I know I’m probably weeks away from birth and still deciding on names.

Here’s my list so far:

1. Nothing that sounds like Chris.

My Chris despised the dead loved one junior thing. He would be super mad if I did it with our son. Also, I already have a niece named Christine, with whom I have a complicated relationship, so that’s out. I know there are some Chris’s that are actually named Charles. You had one on the ship before the coup, but that’s not an option.

2. Nothing already occupied by a friend or close family member, dead or living.

Sorry, Spock and Jim are not on the baby naming list. Winona is also sad that her name is not on the list.

3. It needs to go well with the last name Pike.

Any name that rhymes with Pike has been eliminated from my list. Also, anything that sounds like a freeway is off the list.

As you can see, I have a very long list of names I don’t want to give the twins but no names I want to use. This happens when you change your name as an adult because you hate your birth name. You keep second-guessing.

Also, I keep asking myself, “What would Chris want?” Would he have liked the name that I picked out? Would he have chosen something different? I almost had a name a few times, and it’s been eliminated from the list because I feel like Chris would’ve hated it. Although the name River Pike probably would’ve led to much bullying. So, taking that one off the list was in my best interest. If I don’t come up with something soon, I think Winona will have a name party.

Anyway, please send pictures. I need to stay occupied. I am 90% sure my doctor will put me on maternity leave after the next check-up. I hoped to make it to spring break, but that is not happening. I’m already working on handover notes for my replacement.

Xxxx
From: Spock's_cuddlebunny;
To: Number_one_Pike
cc: Jim's_cuddlebear
Time arrived: 03/04/2261 00:00:01
Subject: We are also happy you’re still pregnant

I’m glad you wrote to us after the babies’ checkup. I am so grateful that everything is going well. I’m also pleased that your doctor is making you go on maternity leave early, and you won’t keep working until your water breaks during a staff meeting. That feels like something you would do. I am grateful the doctor has overruled you.

We should already be resuming our deep space exploration, but the repairs are taking longer than expected. Part of that was that Scotty arrived a few days late because the Hamilton had some complications. I’m not free to discuss those complications mostly because Scotty refuses to tell me. But he did arrive with a black eye, so I’m not asking questions. Bones refused to heal him.

The team didn’t want to start work until Scotty looked over everything. They couldn’t begin anyway because the Starbase 39 engineers were still replicating the replacement parts. So, we’re still under construction. Finally, the damage was worse than we thought and will take longer to fix. Fingers crossed, we get to leave on March 9.

The good news is that I do not have to deal with a gaggle of crying teenagers or my very sad preteen. The Kids in Space program is continuing for another year. However, Gina needs to write a full report on her curriculum. She is not happy. But at least she doesn’t have to go house shopping on New Vulcan with the new wife.

I am also happy that I will not move next door to my father-in-law anytime soon. I can do small doses of my father-in-law, but I’m not quite ready to live there yet. Hopefully, I’ll be prepared by retirement. Or when we want to start raising little baby Vulcans. The twins are making my husband’s biological clock tick faster. Maybe we will look into surrogates once Peter is in college. Let’s get one kid out the door before we get more. We can practice on the twins in the meantime.

I understand having trouble picking out a good name. I’m glad nobody outside my immediate family knows my middle name is Tiberius. I’m not a fan. Also, I considered going by Jamie for a while. I like it more than Jim, but everybody called me Jim. I decided not to fight it, even though it felt like an old man’s name when I was a kid. I am more OK with it now, but I love it when the hubby calls me James. Do your rules allow for Jamie, or is it too close to James/Jim?

What about famous musicians? Would you get mad at me if I started giving you the names of various Beastie boys? What about Linkin Park members? Oh, what about names from songs? Kenji? It’s the title of a song about 20th-century America’s Japanese internment camps. But it’s also the middle name of one of the lead singers from the group. I’m sending you that song. It’s an important historical document.

Spock Bear is adding the top 100 Vulcan baby names. (last updated six months before it all went to hell.) Well, the top 99, he removed the name of his former fiancé. It was number 98, which doesn’t surprise me.

So, outside of Jamie, my advice to you is to pick what you want. Don’t focus on what other people want. Otherwise, you’ll get stuck with Chris Junior, and again, you don’t want that as a baby name.

I have no idea what names Chris would’ve chosen. However, I wonder if Enterprise would be in the running. Enterprise Pike feels like it’s a road or something. I feel like most names with Pike are going to sound like freeway inner changes. You’re right about that one. Are you sure you don’t want to return to your maiden name? Not that I know what it is. I know it’s not Chapel.

I think the fact that I don’t know your dead name brings up the point that no matter what, the twins could always change their name eventually, and that’s OK. I’ve already changed my last name, and so has Peter. We’re going with Grayson-Kirk officially now. (Or the other way around, to mess with people.) I like it because people won’t automatically assume I’m one of those Kirks. Spock likes it because, with a last name like Grayson-Kirk or Kirk-Grayson, people don’t automatically think he’s Vulcan, which helps in meetings, especially when dealing with idiots.

Being on base has been exhausting. I want us to get back to exploring the cosmos. I am so done with all of these meetings. Spock is, too. I want two months of uninterrupted exploration. This is supposed to be a five-year mission, five years exploring the cosmos, and yet, bureaucratic Starfleet bullshit keeps getting in the way. At least we didn’t lose our program with the kids. Thank the universe for that.

Anyway, I expect an update soon. We miss you, and stay safe.

To be continued…

Chapter 177: Day 381: Congratulations

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. I appreciate it.

Chapter Text

From: Saavik of New Vulcan
To: Peter_K
Time arrived: 03/06/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Congratulations on the program continuing.

I just got an email from Chris 1 about the Enterprise Kids’ program being renewed for another year. Congratulations. Although I am sad that you and Josephine won’t be joining me, I am pleased you will get to stay with your friends. Chris 1 really didn’t want to go back. Their remaining family on Earth do not understand the concept of being non-binary and keep dead naming them constantly.

How are your field trips going? We’re going to have one soon at the Vulcan Botanical Gardens. It would be more interesting if I did not visit with your classmates in December. Perhaps we will see a different part of the gardens this time. The facility is quite large and is continually expanding.

Anyway, send me pictures. I miss you and everybody on Enterprise. I’m starting to make a few new friends at school, but it is a slow process. I think the Ambassador might be planning a slumber party to facilitate increased bonds of friendship.
Xxxxx
From: Kevin KR
To: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
Time sent: 0203/06/2261 00:00:01
Subject: Things are improving marginally
Things are getting better on the ship. I still have a room by myself. I don’t know how I’ve managed to keep it so long. Although we have lost several interns, so maybe there’s nobody left to put in here. They either left or are in the brig. Fortunately, nobody has died yet. However, there were a couple of close calls involving alcohol poisoning. At least one cadet brought more booze than clothing, and the inevitable happened.

I will stick with the special teas I picked up from New Vulcan. They are much easier to stash, and if I get caught, I can always say they were a gift from my brother-in-law, and I didn’t know what they were. I didn’t want to be disrespectful of another culture.

I can’t believe that rumor is circulating about us. That is creepy. Thankfully, nobody has said that around me in hearing distance. I am grateful for that. I think I threw up when I read about that.

Work is getting better. We’re finally down to the interns who know what they’re doing. So, it’s less stressful. Even though this is my first time on a starship in this capacity, I have more experience than others because of my summer job with the Admiral. Also, my few years in Tarsus hell taught me many survival skills, including keeping my head down and minding my business.

Liz told me she got to do a video call with you two days ago. You didn’t get to talk much, but she did get to see Gina’s wedding. Now, a virtual wedding is on our list of possibilities. Maybe we will have a quick wedding after graduation and have a big wedding later. That’s still more than a year down the line, so we have time to decide. Also, I have to get through this internship; only three more months to go.

Anyway, how is Enterprise life? Has anything interesting happened? Do you still need to make plans to move to New Vulcan? I’m not sure how well you would deal with planet life. However, I know you would figure out how to do it for Peter. You love that kid so much.
Xxx
From: Peter_K
To: Saavik of New Vulcan
Time arrived: 03/06/2261 03:45:01
Subject: Congratulations on the program continuing.

The amusement park was okay, but the water park was better. I’m unsure if that counts as a field trip. The most educational part was learning about the park's history. We spent most of our time at the waterpark. The amusement park section needed more rides, so we spent most of our time at the waterpark. Thanks to Uncle Bones, I did not end up with a sunburn.

I realize I now need to explain what a water park is, but I’m just going to send you a lot of pictures. Eventually we will have to take you to one, but maybe on Risa. The ones they have are indoors. However, I have no idea how Vulcans feel about water parks. I know Uncle Spock can swim because it’s a Starfleet requirement, but he didn’t go with us. He was busy with meetings.

We did a Star base tour a few days ago, which feels more like a field trip activity. Josephine missed most of it due to a video call with her aunt and grandmother. Although considering how boring it was, it’s probably for the best. Everything else is boring after living on a ship for about eight months.

I’m happy that the kids on Enterprise program were renewed, even though I’m a little sad. I would’ve loved to have been near you and Grandpa, but I am not ready to leave the ship. I still have a lot of trauma related to losing my mom on Devon to work through. I don’t want to live in another colony long term. College on New Vulcan might be all I can tolerate. But living there full-time is different. Maybe I’ll feel different about that eventually. I’m working on it with Margarita.

Most of the Enterprise kids are glad the program didn’t end. We are all in the pilot for a reason. None of us had other options. Me and Josephine are actually in the best position now, and that’s primarily because of our newly adopted grandparents. It also helps Josephine’s evil grandpa being in jail. We found a news article yesterday about him being investigated for multiple deaths, including that of Josephine’s mom.

OK we found out from Reyes who showed us the article. That was not a good conversation. She is spending the day with Dr. Margarita. You should write to her soon. Ask her for slumber party tips.

I want to hear more about your field trip to the botanical gardens. I’m sure you’ll get to see a different part. I’m pretty sure we only saw half of it in December. Maybe you will get to see the other part. Anyway, we all miss you.

Xxxx
From: Spock' s_cuddlebunny
To: Kevin KR
Time sent: 03/06/2261 15:34:32

Subject: Congratulations on no dead interns
Yeah, they’re probably not going to shove a roommate in there just yet. You might have a private room for the rest of your internship unless they pick up more crew members before you depart. That could happen. Enterprise is constantly getting new crewmembers out of cycle. We picked up our new (we hope permanent) assistant. Your mother-in-law promises this one won’t try to kill us.

Congratulations on no dead interns. We also have no intern fatalities as of now. However, we had a near miss. Somebody tried to break into Audrey 3’s enclosure a couple of days ago to expose her to showtime. Yes, drugs were involved. Although we’re still trying to determine if it was intentional or accidental intoxication.

Thankfully, my husband was paranoid and insisted on an extra force-field to protect the plant. They weren’t even supposed to be on the ship. We’re at this particular Starbase because there are enough rooms for everybody to be housed here while they’re doing the extensive renovations to engineering.

Scotty is upset we didn’t go right away for repairs. The man is pissed. He also promises never to leave his girl again. In addition, he regrets taking Keenser with him to the Hamilton, but he needed all the help he could get on that ship. It could be worse, and you could be doing your semester on that ship. Poor Captain Chin-Riley. She doesn’t deserve that mess.

I did get to talk to your girlfriend. However, Peter got to do more talking than I did. It was so quick with the wedding. I’m sure she’ll write to me soon once they are no longer accusing her of conspiring with me to pass the Kobayashi Maru. (Yes, that happened. No, I don’t want to talk about it.) Although she tends to write the kids more. Probably because the idiots are not looking closely at those emails.

We also did a video call with Mom right after. She’s doing good in London. Honestly, this is the happiest I’ve seen her as far back as I can remember. We should’ve got her out of Iowa a long time ago. I regret not doing that earlier. It’s easier to maintain sobriety when you’re not surrounded by ghosts. The Iowa farmhouse was nothing but ghosts.

Mom is looking forward to the babies. She’s already adopted them as her grandbabies, which is good for us because she will not pressure us to have grandkids. Not that she wants you to have grandkids for the next ten years, but pressure on me to adopt a whole gaggle of orphan Vulcans. Or for the husband to do in vitro with a donor egg. It will happen eventually, but maybe we can hold off until the five-year mission ends.

At least now that we don’t have to worry about the program getting killed for another year. A part of me would have liked colony life. I do want to raise more kids. Peter is everything. I’m glad that despite what happened to my sperm count, I get to be a dad. I just wished Arlene didn’t have to die for that to happen. At the same time, I am so grateful for Peter being in my life. I don’t know where I would be without my kid.

I am happy to hear things are already improving for you on Discovery. I think they will continue getting better. Nobody has a perfect intern experience. My roommate ended up with OPV and caught my mattress on fire. I don’t know how that happened. I’m going with smoking the weed from greenhouse six instead of edibles like any sane person. You don’t light up on a starship. It was fine. Nothing blew up, and I got a room to myself for the rest of my internship.

Wait, did I ever tell you the story from my time on the Farragut? I can’t remember, probably not. It was my fault for doing a summer internship so I could graduate early. You’re going to do great during your time on Discovery. I have complete faith in you.

I included pictures from the waterpark. They are from Sulu because he got to be a chaperone. Spock and I had to convince a minister from a planet that I can’t even remember the name of to join the Federation. My jaw still hurts smiling so hard. Now, I regret not needing to take early retirement a little bit. However, there are things I want to do first before I go back to civilian life. Sticking around long enough for you to graduate is on the list. Once you get done with this internship, you’ll be one step closer.
Xxxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Admiral Nhi Pike

So, I am keeping my promise and letting you know I am having contractions. Don’t worry, the baby monitor is watching me. I have not been instructed to go to the birthing center yet. Not all labors are like your mom’s. I have plenty of time. Me or Wynonna will keep you updated on progress.

To be continued…

Chapter 178: Day 382: This is not a break water instant baby type of labor.

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of emails. I appreciate it. Yes, Nhi is in labor, and Jim is several lightyears away. This is going to be fun.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Starfleet priority message for Admiral Nhi Pike from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired.

Yes, I am aware that not every labor is my mom’s. How many people can have early labor triggered by time-traveling Romulans attacking the ship they’re in? No one wants anything that dramatic. Spock told me it’s pretty standard to stay home with a baby monitor and not go to the birthing center until you’ve dilated at least 5 cm once your water has broken. Thanks to the home monitoring system, you won’t have to spend anywhere near as much time at the hospital. Just hurry up and wait. That’s good for you since you hate hospitals.

Your hatred of hospitals is obviously why you decided to go with the birthing center instead of a hospital. You didn’t mention that before, but I should’ve guessed that was the plan. It makes sense. It will be less stressful for you anyway.

How are you holding up? I am CCing my mom on this message in case the answer is screaming in pain, trying to push out the twins. Do you have names yet? I realize that all the suggestions I sent you a couple of days ago will not arrive on time. Sorry.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Admiral Nhi Pike
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

Yes, this is a hurry-up and wait situation. At least I can do most of the waiting at home now. I heard it was worse in the old days. Per the baby monitor, I’m dilated two centimeters. And my contractions are about eight minutes apart. My water also hasn’t broken yet. I could be one of those women needing the midwife to take care of that.

Yes, I am doing a birthing center with a midwife. However, the birthing center does have doctors on standby, just in case. My OB/GYN recommended it for me because she feels it will be a less stressful experience. Anything would be less stressful than what your mom went through, or Sue, for that matter.

Attach your previous email to your next response. I would love to know what your baby name advice was. I still don’t have names. Your mom is reading names to me in between contractions.

Rebecca just came by to drop off food. She wants to make sure your mom doesn’t starve. She says hi, and she misses you guys.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Admiral Nhi Pike from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

Okay, the email is attached to this message. I also included a bunch of pictures of the kids to help distract you. My leading name suggestions were Jamie and Kenji. I am also including Spock's Vulcan name list. I feel like you might want to try something a little different.

That was so nice of Rebecca. We miss her too. Engineering would not have blown up over Christmas if she had been on board. I am still talking Scotty down from the ledge over that. He’s never leaving his baby again. He point-blank told Spock Bear never to make him acting captain. He’s done.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Admiral Nhi Pike
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

Thanks so much for the pictures. I love them. Also, thank you for all the baby names. I like Kenji. Especially the meaning behind the name, although I am not shocked that you are suggesting music-associated names for my kids.

Jamie is far enough from Jim and James that I will allow it. It was already on my shortlist of girl names.

So, what do you think about using one Earth name and one Vulcan name? What were Spock’s favorites? Each godparent should get one name.

Please, no middle names with a T. I don’t want my kids to have TP in their initials.

Anyway, I’m a little more dilated, and the contractions are still in the don’t run to the birthing center yet range. I have a video call with my midwife soon, though. She might tell me to come on in any way now, so we were not running there in the middle of the night. You know how hard it is to get public transport at 2 AM anywhere.
Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Admiral Nhi Pike from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired.

Yes, listen to your midwife. I’m sure everything will go well.

Spock has suggested Jamie Lilaik Pike and Kenji Niath Pike. However, he will send you a list of 90 gender-neutral or female-coated baby names. There are few non-T names on the original 100 list because Vulcans love their T names. At least for girls. Yes, I am rolling my eyes. He better keep that list for our future babies many years from now.

You should know we do not have to move to New Vulcan yet. The program is staying and expanding. We’re going to get ten more kids in June. This is what happens when you do a good job. We will also be bringing on a second teacher so we can divide the grades up more. Gina is thrilled.

Xxxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Admiral Nhi Pike
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson
Hey, greetings from the birthing center of greater London. We got here about an hour ago. I am now in labor enough to be here. I am attaching pictures of my room and your mom. Notice the best coach ever T-shirt. It was a gift from Rebecca.

I should have got your help with names earlier. I like both choices. Better than the rest of the stuff on my shortlist. As somebody who legally changed their name, I just needed something perfect.

My water just broke, so this is probably my last message until I reach the other side. I keep telling myself it’s worth it. However, I regret not telling anybody I was planning to get inseminated. I feel like you all would have talked me out of it.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Admiral Nhi Pike from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired.

We would not have talked you out of it but maybe convinced you to wait until the end of the five-year missions so Spock and I could serve as the birthing coaches. Now, we will have to be the best godparents remotely, but we will be because we already love baby Jamie and Kenji.
To be continued.

Notes:

Hey, labor takes a long time. Especially when you’re not doing presto water breaks instant baby. Also, I feel like the 23rd century would have tech to monitor the mommy, and you could spend as much time at home as possible before going to the hospital or birthing center. I chose a birthing center because I wanted something more holistic. I was thinking about what civilian-ish delivery would be like versus it happening on the ship.

Chapter 179: Day 383: Welcome to the universe, Jamie and Kenji

Notes:

Thank you to everybody who read or reviewed the last set of messages. I hope you enjoyed that break from the standard format. This will continue with this chapter.

Chapter Text

March 8, 2261
Starfleet priority message for Admiral Nhi Pike from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Commander Winona Kirk, retired; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

I’m happy for any updates I get. I will send a separate message to Rebecca in case Mom is too busy telling you to push.

Anyway, I’m glad you like the names we chose. I hope that everything is safe with the delivery. So that you know you’re getting a huge bouquet. Whether it will be balloons, flowers, or a tasteful fruit basket is still being determined. How can ordering something on the ship be easier than on star base? Of course, usually, the only place I order stuff from that delivers to the ship directly is the red light district of Resa, but I feel like there should be another way to give gifts to friends and family elsewhere. We’re working on it.

Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Commander Winona Kirk retired.
cc: Admiral Nhi Pike; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

Hey sweetie, it’s it’s your mom this time. Nhi is a little too busy to reply. Although she is not ready to push, she has entered the cursing Chris portion of labor. I was too busy cursing Romulans with you to get to that stage. I broke your dad’s hand when I had Sam. Did I ever tell you that? I hope Nhi doesn’t do that to me. Anyway, we’re close, hopefully just a few more hours.

Thank you for helping with the names. Nhi was never going to pick something. I think it’s all related to the trauma of changing her name. Or maybe it’s because Chris is not around for her to discuss names with. She’s worried he will hate whatever she chooses. At least I had that last moment with George. She didn’t have that with Chris.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on what’s happening here. Hopefully, Nhi can start pushing soon.
Xxx
Starfleet priority message for Commander Winona Kirk, retired from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Admiral Nhi Pike; Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

I don’t think I heard that story. Growing up, you didn’t like to talk about George, even the good stories. I would like to hear more of those stories when you're ready. Although from what I heard from Liz about Sue’s delivery, I am not shocked you broke Dad’s hand. However, Sue’s curses were reserved for the ex-boyfriend who abandoned her. She blamed him for getting the wrong lube. Although I don’t think she’s as upset about it now that she knows he is not the father. Also, it helps that Baby D is so cuddly.

I’m glad you’re there for her, Mom. She needs someone who gets this. I’m happy you can be that person. I expect pictures. We have about another day on base, so I’m hoping she delivers soon to set up a video call. If necessary, I will arrange something from the ship, but it’s easier on base.
Xxxx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Commander Winona Kirk, retired.
cc: Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

 

The twins are here. Several pictures are attached.
Kenji N. Pike Born March 8, 2261, 7:23 AM 3.2 kg and 51 cm.

Jamie L. Pike was born March 8, 22,61, 7:26 AM, 3.1 kg and 50 cm.

I’m glad that I am here, too. I even got to cut the umbilical cord for both twins.

They’re doing well. Mother and babies are resting. Despite being a little early, they’re full weight and will not have to spend time in the special nursery like you did. That whole time was terrifying for me. I just lost your dad and I was scared. I was going to lose you too.

I think we should wait a little while before doing a video conference. Let mommy and babies bond. I promise to send you lots of videos in the meantime. Ming is okay with it. Mainly because I have to send her the same videos. She sent a giant balloon bouquet. If you haven’t already placed your order, send a fruit or cookie basket.

Xxxxx

Starfleet priority message for Commander Winona Kirk, retired from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

I can tell that from all the pictures of Nhi napping. They are so cute. Also, Spock is happy they’re wearing the little Vulcan onesies he sent. I will admit that Vulcan baby clothes are much more practical. I think he sent you back to earth with half a baby store. We both may have gone overboard, but we have to spoil little Jamie and Kenji. They are our little god babies. They will need their dad/big brother figures, and that’s us.

Spock says we can do a video call when Nhi is up for it, even if it’s in a few weeks. Spock gets to video call his dad at least once a month. I think I can video call the twins. Besides, we can always talk about something work-related. Take good care of the babies. And make sure she actually rests. Was she already on maternity leave? I forgot to ask.

PS: At some point, we’re going to have to unpack the stuff you said about me being in neonatal care, but not today. I am glad the twins are not there either.

Xx
Starfleet priority message for Captain James Kirk-Grayson from Commander Winona Kirk, retired.
cc: Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

Yes, she was already on leave. But for two days, and she’s already answering work emails again. I’m going to have to hide her PADD. We are not doing a video call until later in the month. If she walks into London Starfleet, she will try to do work. Maybe the 22nd? Or perhaps not the 22nd because Frank ruined that day. I’ll think of something.

We just got a giant teddy bear holding a box of cookies. I assume that was you and the husband. Nhi is up and loves it.

Xxx

Starfleet priority message for Commander Winona Kirk, retired from Captain James Kirk-Grayson
cc: Captain Spock Kirk-Grayson

The 22nd is OK, but maybe we should wait until Nhi is up for it. Maybe early April at the earliest. She absolutely would start working if she walked into London HQ.

In the meantime, more baby pictures and videos, please. I’m sharing them with everybody up here. They’re so happy. Yep, the bear and cookies were us. There will also be an edible arrangement and flowers going to the apartment because we couldn’t just choose one thing. Also, we’re arranging for a cleaning service. Just one less thing for Nhi to worry about. Anyway, send a message when you’re back at the house.

Xxx

Hey Chris.

It’s been a while. I guess you should know that you’re a dad. Unfortunately, it’s in the same way that Sam is a dad. Kenji and Jamie were born today. Spock and I chose the names. Mom was there and was the best birthing coach. So where Rebecca and Carol. Both have rapid messaged more baby pictures. Although Carol sent hers to Nyota because she knows my husband is sensitive. Thankfully, my Bestie shares. I have already put an album together.

I know you wish you could still be here. I wish you were still here and could be in London holding the twins right now. I’m still angry that you’re not. Fuck Admiral Marcus forever.

However, I promise I will be there for the children along with Spock. We are going to be the dad figures that they need. Although not like that because the rumor mill is nasty. I promise to treat them like I treat Peter. Mom has already adopted them. They’re her sweet grandbabies, and she loves them to pieces, as evident by the 20 pictures Rebecca sent me of her snuggling with the twins. They’re going to be OK, Chris, I promise you that.

 

To be continued.

Notes:

Please review. I really want to know what you’re thinking.

Series this work belongs to: