Actions

Work Header

Of light and dark

Chapter 42: Don't say goodbye

Notes:

That's it. Thanks to every one who read and reviewed.

Dedicated to Sparrowhawk. Thanks for all you amazing comments.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kabuto's POV

He swe as he and Orochimaru retreated. The pain in his abdomen was immense. The red colored chakra he had recognized. The black one he didn't however.

Once they were at a safe Kabuto asked, "What was that black chakra? It was even darker than the cursed seal chakra."

The Sanin said coldly, "I have only heard about such a thing in legends. What I based the cursed seal off of."

That caught the silver haired boy's attention. What he based the seal off of? The older ninja never spoke of such things to him.

He asked cautiously curious, "What is that?"

It was surprising when he was answered, "A guardian's vessel. You said you tried to kill his teacher? Someone he cared deeply for?"

When he nodded Orochimaru said thoughtfully, "Be glad you didn't truly kill the man, Kabuto. If you had you would have incurred the wrath of one of the five most powerful fighters in the world. Even as a child he would be more dangerous than any Jōnin."

He thought the Sanin was done so he turned around to consider his own thoughts. That's when he heard him say," Only a primary activation. We must count ourselves fortunate. If the legends are true them a secondary activation will always be worse than the original."

That's when it clicked. A guardian's vessel. It was said that guardians came from the union between ninja and Murim blood. Murim didn't visit the ninja world and vice versa. They hadn't for many years.

"To think the blond haired idiot would be one such child. Guardians huh... legends say that one guardian could take on a jinchuriki. If that was true having a demon jailer and a guardian's vessel would make the lead the most powerful village. Too powerful."

As if sensing his thoughts Orochimaru said, "That child should not make it to maturity. If he does then the world will be endanger."

"How do you want to take him out of the equation? As a jinchuriki he will be closely guarded. Now more than ever."

Then his thoughts went to the story that floated around the Jōnin and ANBU. How Naruto Uzumaki had gone toe to toe with the Sanin. Not only had he held his own but he sent the other away. With a devastating technique that no one recognized.

Orochimaru seemed to think about it briefly. When he answered it surprised him, "Murim. If the child goes to the world of Murim they will eat him alive. They don't take kindly to guardians. Especially those untrained."

How to get him to this unknown place? Only those with special permission from one of the five kages could make the journey. Even then they had not given the permission. How the Sanin was going to go through with that Kabuto didn't understand.

When he turned to look back at the Sanin he felt an intense pain in his abdomen. It was like nothing he felt before. He was barely able to stop himself from collapsing.

Orochimaru said sounding somewhat darkly amused, "I was wondering if there was any damage from that attack. Looks like he got to your coils."

His chakra coils? That would make sense though. Damage to ones coils would make any ninja weak. Depending on the severity of the damage it could affect his ninjutsu. It was not something easily fixed either.

Internally he sighed. Just one more thing that had to be taken care of.

Naruto's POV

The first thing he noticed when he came to was that he was warm. Not uncomfortably so. Just warm. Opening an eye he noticed that he was in his mindscape. That made the fact that he was warm make more sense.

Sitting up he took a note of the changes. His mind scape wasn't dark. It was in fact a forest clearing. Reminding him much of the sanctuary where he had trained with Chun and Yoochun.

Sitting up he saw Sien laying on the grass. His blue eyes watching him. A gentle looked crossed Naruto's face. It had been awhile since he had seen the guardian.

He greeted with a smile, "Hey Sien. It's been awhile."

The wolf blinked at him then replied with a grin, "That it has young one. I see you are not angry with me for leaving you alone for so long."

He asked honestly confused, "Why would I be? When you have been alone as long as I have. You expect everyone to abandon you at some point. I figured you found I wasn't a suitable vessel."

The wolf flinched hard. Yet Naruto did not regret his words. Every bit of it was true. In their world everyone abandoned you at some point. For one reason or another when the time came everyone was alone.

That was why he lived his life the way he did. He would always fight for his friends and precious persons. Ready for every day to be his last.

Sien said trying to be the voice of reason, "That is the farthest from the truth. It was the first time you used a guardian's rite. Holding on as long as you did exhausted both of us. It took me longer to recover because of how long it had been since I had a vessel."

Naruto cocked his head to the side in curiosity. He never thought of it like that. Chakra and Ki were like a muscle. If you didn't exercise them they would wither and fade. So the damage it had done made sense to the young chūnin.

He asked sitting back, "So why now? I doubt you are fully recovered from our fight with Gaara."

A laugh startled him. He never heard Sien laugh before. It was refreshing. It didn't feel like the wolf was laughing at him. More like he was laughing at their situation.

When it calmed down he answered, "I am recovered little ninja. I was going to talk to you anyways after you proved you could use the chakra sphere. Your resulting fight with the traitor made me come to the surface early. You almost died child. If you didn't have the demon and myself you would have. Even with us it had been a close call."

His eyes widened. Part of him knew he almost died. It was terrifying to realize how close he had come. Still the fear of death would not stop him from doing what he thought was right. He refused to die until after he became Hokage.

There was something about Sien though. He didn't normally meet up in his mind scape for just a talk. Something was needing to be said.

Sien said with a sigh, "You are getting to smart for your own good child. Yes I do have something that needs to be said. Before I say it though know the decision is still yours. I'm just giving you my advice."

Curiosity got the better of him. His bright blue eyes sparkled with wanting to know. The wolf's advice had been sound so far. He had no reason not to trust it.

"Do not go with Chun. You're not ready to face the world of Murim. I believe that if you go with him you will face pain and betrayal. Go with the old pervert."

The brightness in his eyes dulled. His inner guardian didn't want him to go to Murim. Before he could ask any questions there was a tug on. His time in his mind scape was up. His mind scape faded and he drawn back into the real world.

Blinking blearily up he realized he was staring at a ceiling. It took him a moment longer to remember that he had been in a field last. Sitting up quickly he winced when his shoulder twinged painfully.

Looking around he noticed that one he was alone in the room. Two his sword lay across the back of a chair. In the chair were a change of clothes for him. At least he knew he wasn't kidnapped. They wouldn't give him back his weapons if he was.

So he changed into a simple grey t-shirt and black pants. As he pulled on the shirt he saw a simple blue crystal necklace. It was the necklace that had been made during the bet. Now he knew who had him. It seemed the old woman kept her end of the deal.

As he was bringing his sword over his shoulder the door opened. A woman he didn't recognize entered carrying a tray. She almost dropped it upon seeing him awake.

She stuttered, "I'm so... s...sorry. I'll leave."

He asked stopped her, "Wait, where am I?"

She said, "You are at an inn. The old man carried you here. You have been asleep for two days. We maids were beginning to think that you would never wake. I need to let Lady Tsunade know you're awake."

He said moving towards the door, "I'll do it myself. Where is she?"

She led him without much fuss to a dining hall. All three of the adults were eating what appeared to be breakfast. Shizune was the first to notice his approach. A smile crossed her face as she rose to greet him. The other two noticed soon after.

After a quick checkup by Tsunade he was deemed mostly healed. He would have to take it easy for another few days but there wouldn't be any lasting damage.

After he order something to eat Tsunade asked, "Why wouldn't you leave me?"

Without an ounce of hesitation he replied, "It's not in my makeup to. I did what I felt was right. No matter what anyone else says."

Jiraiya said with a snort, "Childish naiveté. Enjoy it while you can Naruto. As an adult you won't be able to stay that way."

"Says who? The strong make the rules. As long as I stay strong I can change them so that the world isn't so horrible."

That got him three stunned stares. It was true. In their world everything was run by the strong. If you wanted to change it you had to be strong. Stronger than anyone else.

His goals were to change things. So that what happened to Gaara and him wouldn't happen to anyone else. If that was naive then so be it.

Tsunade said, "Big dreams for such a small brat. I believe though if anyone could do it. It would be you. Once we are done eating, we will head back to the village. I do believe I agreed to be your Hokage."

That brought a smile to his face. Home. He was returning home. The rest of their lunch passed quickly. Then they packed up their bags to head back to the village.

If Naruto was honest with himself the person he looked forward to seeing the most was Hayate. It had only been a week and a half since he last saw the man. Still it hurt to be gone from the other. The brown haired Jōnin had become like a father to him. While Iruka had become like an older brother. He couldn't wait to see both of them.

The trip back held little excitement for the party. Naruto was unusually quiet. His thoughts once more on the decision that he had to make. Go with the old pervert. Or go with Chun.

He had learned a lot from the old Sanin. While he still didn't trust the other he had a newfound respect for him. A start of a bond had formed between them.

Still he had a much stronger bond with Chun. Though Sien's warning rang in his ears. If he went to Murim he would face pain and betrayal like nothing else he had faced before. Did he want to take that chance?

All too soon they were at the village. The guards at the gate were familiar and had enormous grins. It didn't take them long to recognize the blond who had walked up.

Izumo asked as Kotetsu got the elder ninjas to sign in, "How are you kid?"

Naruto said rubbing his shoulder, "A little sore but all in all I'm good."

Izumo nodded and said, "Good because a certain brown haired Jōnin wants to talk to you. As soon as possible."

Hayate wanted to talk to him? About what?

Before he could ask the old pervert was already dragging him down the street. As they went down it villagers began to notice. At first whispers were about the two Sanin. Then they noticed him.

A rare moment where it wasn't in hatred. If anything they were in awe. Remembering what Genma once said he straightened up. Walking with his head held high he went to the Hokage's office.

The ANBU announced their presence immediately. Then they were let into the office. The old man looked worse than when he left. It was obvious that he didn't have much time left. It made him sad at the thought. The old Hokage had always been a grandfather to him. Always looking out for him.

He asked worriedly, "Are you alright?"

The old man gave him a small smile as he replied, "I'm old Naruto. One day you will end up like me. I see you have brought back. Tsunade. With Jiraiya in one piece as well."

He couldn't help it he snickered. Jiraiya looked like a petulant child to them. It made them laugh quietly for a moment.

Then the old man dismissed him by saying, "The Secretary will pay you Naruto. It will be classed as an S class on your record. Before you go. Have you made your decision?"

Naruto stiffened as he replied calmly but determinedly, "I have. I will be going with Chun to Murim. My destiny is there. I can feel it."

A sad look crossed the elder's face. Yet there was calm acceptance of his decision in his eyes. It seemed that this was predicted of him.

Finally he said, "I wish you the best of luck in your ventures in Murim. Try to be careful. Their world is far different from our own."

Naruto in a fashion that was not like him bowed. It was not a fake bow. Or a sarcastic one. It was a bow of respect to his elder and the closest thing he had to family for a long time.

Without another word he left. Off to find Hayate sensei. The man deserved to hear it directly from him.

He made the short trip to his teacher's house. When he approached the door a fit of anxiety. It took him a moment to work up the courage to knock.

A grumble came from the other side of the door. Then before he could leave not wanting to upset the man the door opened. Hayate stood there in a white t-shirt and grey sleep pants. From the dark circles under his eyes he must have had several late night shifts in a row. The brown eyes cold with aggregation immediately warmed upon seeing him.

Hayate said smiling, "Naruto your back. Come in."

It took him a moment to realize that while he knew where the Jōnin lived he had never been inside his house. Cautiously he stepped into the house. After removing his shoes Hayate led him into the living room.

It was exactly as he expected from the elder ninja. The room was tidy though there was a few books on the table. Three doors were shut. One of which he assumed was Hayate's bedroom. The other likely a bathroom. Part of him wondered what the third one was.

Hayate led him into the kitchen and sat him down at the table. He left for a moment only to return with a stack of papers. Oddly the man looked nervous.

Naruto had seen a lot of emotions in the man. Never had he seen nervousness in Hayate. It set him on edge. Wondering what the papers were about.

Hayate said as he sat down, "Naruto first off you're not in trouble. Far from it in fact. I have been thinking about this for a while but my conversation with Kakashi Hatake brought it to head. Whether or not you choose to accept this is up to you. Know that I will always care about you no matter what you decide."

Naruto cocked his head to the side. What was Hayate going on about? The man never acted like this.

Instead of answering his question gaze he pushed the papers towards him. Curiosity beat out his caution. Looking at the papers his heart stopped at the single word on it. In bold print there was a single word. One that he never thought he would see. Even at the age when others got to see or hear the word. It was never him.

Adoption. Hayate wanted to adopt him. Someone actually wanted him around more than as a team mate or a student.

Hayate not mistaking his silence said, "You don't have to decide right now. Even if you choose not to..."

Naruto didn't let him go any further. His heart couldn't take the possible thought of rejecting the offer. Instead he flung himself at Hayate. Burying his head into the man's soft white shirt. Tears were rolling down his face. Even as the man's arms wrapped around him he refused to look up.

How the man thought he could he refuse such an offer was beyond him. Hayate was offering him the one thing he always wanted. A family.

This was something he wanted more than anything in the world. A question entered his mind. Would he have to stay instead of going to see the Murim world?

As if sensing where his thoughts had gone Hayate said, "No matter whether you sign this or not. That decision is yours and yours alone. I will not tell you that you can't go."

He mumbled into the man's shirt. Neither really understanding what was said.

Hayate said confused but amused, "Come again. I didn't understand that."

Pushing away just enough to look at the warm brown eyes. He said clearly and determinedly, "I want to sign. You have been like a father to me for a while now. This is just making it official."

Surprise filled those eyes. It was obvious that he wasn't expecting that. Then a grin crossed his face. Things would be good to them. That much was obvious.

It only took a moment for them to sign the papers. Once they were signed Hayate said sighing with relief, "Honestly I didn't think you would accept the adoption so easily. You are always so independent. Relying on your own power to get things done. Though I understand why."

He had to be. With most of the village out to get him he had to be independent. To rely on no one but himself. Now he didn't have to do that anymore.

Naruto said, "I have already made my decision. I'm going with Chun. If I remember what he wanted I leave first thing tomorrow."

Hayate said kindly," Then I'll wait for you to get back. Two years isn't that long. By then I'll have all your stuff moved here."

Naruto nodded. A question entered his mind and without really thinking about it he asked, "Can I stay here tonight?"

One would have thought that Naruto had given the older man the sun. His smile widened to impossible lengths. Never before had such a smile been directed at him. It gave him hope. Hope that no matter what happened from here he would be able to get through it. For he was no longer alone in the world.

That evening he, Iruka, and Hayate all went to Ichiraku's ramen for dinner. The old noodle shop owner wished him luck and hoped that he made it back safely. The next morning came too early for either ninja.

Somehow Chun had known he was at Hayate's and knocked on the door. Naruto had found out the third door held behind it a second bedroom. One that was now his.

When he opened the door Chun stood there in his typical t-shirt. The man asked, "Ready to go, kid?"

He replied, "Let me get changed."

While he practically said yes his heart was telling him no. That he should stay and enjoy his time with his new father. But it was his choice. His choice to go with his teacher. To learn about his Murim heritage. He would not hide from it.

He changed from his pajama into a black t-shirt and grey pants with a black jacket over it. The jacket was unzipped down to his breastbone. His sword was then paid across his back as it always was.

Once he left his room Hayate was waiting for him. The brown eyed man said, "We will see each other again. Good luck in your training and try not to cause too much trouble. I swear I'll be here when you get back."

Putting on a brave face he said, "We don't say goodbye because," Chun said with him, "we will always see each other again."

A grin was shared between master and disciple. Hayate nodded. Even as they moved to leave he followed them. At the gates of the village were several familiar faces. Tsunade, The old man, Shizune, all of the rookie 9, Iruka, and Kurenai.

Kiba was the first to step forward as he said, "You are not one for goodbyes so I'll keep it brief. Good luck."

Kiba clapped him on the back in a brotherly manner. Shikamaru said nodding, "Don't die on us. It would be a pain."

They shared a knowing look. As his first friend they knew it was his way of saying be safe.

Hinata said, "Good luck Naruto."

This went on until it was just Sasuke and the older ninjas. Sasuke said bravely yet still looking unsure, "You better get strong, Naruto. When you get back I'll be here to beat you. I'll surpass you by the time you return."

A grin formed as he said, "As if Sasuke. There is no way you beat me. Though I do look forward to our next spar."

With that he moved aside. Next was the old man. A lump formed in his throat. This would likely be the last time he saw the old man. There was a lot he wanted to say. Yet he couldn't bring himself to.

Sarutobi said with a knowingly, "I'll be here when you get back, Naruto. You can't get rid of me that easily. Be safe. Listen to Chun. This is a new world you are going to. There are different rules there. Ones that you aren't used to. Chun will guide you properly. Remember you are a representative of the leaf. Your actions reflect upon us."

Naruto gave a curt nod. He would make his village proud. No matter what, it takes.

Shizune didn't say anything. She only clapped him on the shoulder. Her warm onyx eyes told him everything he needed to know.

Now for the toughest part. Tsunade. The person that he seemed to fight with every time they met.

The Sanin said sternly, "Don't make us look like idiots brat. You are a ninja of this village. You had better act like it while you're gone," Her eyes softened and she moved closer to him.

To his and everyone's immense surprise she kissed his forehead then said in a softer tone, "You will do well there. Just don't let them change you and make you into something you're not. Good luck Naruto."

He said to her, "Thank you granny. Make sure there is a village to come back to. Don't let Konohamaru become a second me."

He heard Iruka groan. It wasn't like he had forgotten about her. He was last for a reason. One of his important persons.

Neither of them said anything for a moment. It was Naruto who spoke first, "I'll be back sensei. I have something to come back to after all. And…" he looked back at everyone, "…People to come back to. This isn't goodbye. We will see each other again."

Iruka said tears in his eyes, "Be safe Naruto. Don't you change who you are."

With that the last person fell back. It was time for him to go. Chun's hand found his shoulder and squeezed. The journey would be tough but he wasn't making it alone.

A/N: That's it! A year later this fic is done. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me. Please continue reading for snippets from the sequel. Be on the lookout for Somethings made your eyes go cold.

Various points of view

They stood waiting for Takeshi and Dimitri. It was storming outside and Chun had a feeling they were making a mistake. Yet they didn't have a choice. The kid's job was to stay behind as cover and get out when he could. Didn't mean he would have to like it though.

A familiar annoying voice said, "Fuck man it's pouring out there. That should give us plenty of cover thanks to our distraction."

Distraction? He turned to see Takeshi and Dimitri walking up. As usual the blond had his sword across his arms. One would think he was an idiot. Yet he had the fastest sword draw in the entire group. Quite an accomplishment for an idiot.

Coldly he asked, "What distraction?"

The blond said grinning wildly, "Good thinking on your part using the kid. He has all of Murim chasing him through the streets. The scanners say he has been using the lightning steps like a pro. Can you believe that?"

2nd snippet

An older man stood before him. This man had to be one of Murim was his first thoughts. He couldn't let himself get captured. There would be no chance for his teacher to escape if he did.

The man said, "You should give it up. I can see you're on your last leg. Even with your incredible stamina you must be running on empty."

The man was right he was exhausted. Still he couldn't give up. It wasn't his way. If he gave up he would never see his adoptive father again.

He growled, "Fight me."

Entering a stance taught to him by his teacher he prepared for the inevitable. For a moment the man seemed taken aback. When he recovered himself he entered an unfamiliar stance.

The man said, "I'm Kang Sung Er and I accept your challenge Goomoonyrong's disciple."

Next snippet

Kang Sung said, "I'm sorry. You are no longer of Murim. He broke your Ki center. You have six months maybe a year at most."

Next snippet

As he and Se Hee left the school cars pulled all around them. A familiar fox faced man got out of one of them. Along with many men in black suits.

They bowed in his direction as they shouted, "The Sun Woo clan greets its Gaju."

The hell? Shouldn't he be exempt from this? He wasn't of Murim anymore.

Final snippet

It was terrifying to watch. Master and student fighting to using the forbidden technique. The Black Origin Threshold.

They went at each other one final time. The resounding explosion knocked all seven of the Murim masters off their feet. When the smoke cleared there was two craters. No one could tell if either was still alive.

Notes:

Keep an eye out for Something's made your eyes go cold will. I do have some other Naruto fics if you are interested in reading them. Will be putting them out in a week or two.

Series this work belongs to: