The Fandom Growth Exchange is a multi-fandom exchange for fandoms, relationships, and characters that have ten or fewer complete fics (or five or fewer contributing authors) on AO3.
Dreamwidth | Tumblr
(Open, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Fandom Growth Exchange 2018 (FandomGrowthExchange2018)
Nominations open: July 9th at 11:55 PM UTC
Nominations close: July 18th at 11:55 PM UTC
Sign-ups open: July 20th at 11:55 PM UTC
Sign-ups close: July 30th at 11:55 PM UTC
Assignments sent: August 3rd at 11:55 PM UTC
Default deadline: September 21st at 11:55 PM UTC
Assignments due: October 5th at 11:55 PM UTC
Works revealed: October 19th at 11:55 PM UTC
Creators revealed: October 26th at 11:55 PM UTC
To find out what these times are for you, use this converter. Click "Add another city or time zone..." and then adjust the date and time there to suit your needs.
- A fandom qualifies for the exchange if it has no more than 10 complete, English-language fics OR no more than 5 contributing authors on AO3.
- Crossover fics do not count against the fandom.
- A relationship qualifies for the exchange if it has no more than 10 complete, English-language fics OR no more than 5 contributing authors on AO3.
- A fic only counts against the relationship if it's the main relationship of the fic.
- You can nominate both gen and romantic relationships. To nominate gen relationships use &. To nominate romantic relationships use /.
- Threesomes (or moresomes) are also welcome.
- A character qualifies for the exchange if they have no more than 10 complete, English-language fics OR no more than 5 contributing authors on AO3.
- A fic only counts against the character if they are a main character in the fic.
- If you want to nominate or sign up for a single character, you can do so through the relationship tag 'Character & None'. This will make matching on characters or relationships possible.
- Crossover relationships cannot be nominated. Crossover relationships contribute less to an individual fandom's growth, which is the point of the exchange.
- This means that both characters must appear in the canon. Therefore, a relationship might qualify for a general fandom but not for a subfandom.
- You can nominate a relationship or character under a general fandom (e.g. Marvel Cinematic Universe) or subfandom (e.g. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), but the relationship or character must qualify under the fandom you nominate it.
- This means a relationship nominated under Marvel Cinematic Universe might not qualify, but that same relationship nominated under Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. could.
- Relationships with original characters cannot be nominated. These characters contribute less to an individual fandom's growth, which is the point of the exchange. Original characters also cannot be nominated.
- Mentioned and implied characters are allowed, so long as you prove they are mentioned/implied in canon. Implied characters are characters that exist, but are not individually named/seen/referenced (e.g. the Minbari before Valen in Babylon 5; the Bothans in Star Wars: Episode VI; Lily Evans's grandparents in Harry Potter).
- Participants can request/offer art and/or fic. Other options (fanmixes, fanvids, etc.) might be available next year, if working with two options goes well and there is interest.
- Art requirements: You must submit complete art—sketches are not permitted. Art must be a minimum of lineart with basic colors/tones as well as background OR two lineart drawings. Lineart may not stand alone as a gift without colors/tones/background. Art may be traditional or digital, but cannot be drawn on lined paper. Manips and other graphics are not permitted.
- Fic requirements: You must submit complete fic. Fic must be a minimum of 2,000 words and must stand on its own.
- You must make a minimum of 3 requests and 4 offers, with a maximum of 10 for each. For each request or offer, you must list at least 1 relationship or character, with a maximum of 20 each. Please note that some fandoms have no nominated relationships. For these fandoms, please choose "Any."
- You may choose to request and/or offer ONE relationship/character twice. However, the second request/offer will not count toward your required minimum. Also, the second request/offer must come from a different continuity than the first. (For example, you can request Bucky Barnes/Pepper Potts, or Bucky Barnes & None, from Marvel 616 and from Marvel Noir.)
- You may request/offer "Any" relationship. Keep in mind that this means you are requesting/offering 'Any' relationships under that fandom as well as any characters. If a fandom has nominated relationships and/or characters, you are requesting/offering those. If a fandom has no nominated relationships or characters, you may only request/offer relationships and/or characters that meet the exchange requirements.
- For ONE of your offers, you may choose to make a bucket offer, a group of fandoms for which you're willing to write absolutely any of the nominated relationships. More about bucket offers will be linked HERE once sign-ups open.
- AO3 limits the number of relationships you can request/offer to 20. In order to make sure participants can still request/offer up to 20 relationships as well as up to 20 characters, you can use up to 2 slots for each fandom.
- You must still have the minimum number of unique fandoms (3 requests and 4 offers).
- If you repeat a fandom, the tags used must be different: you cannot repeat characters or relationships under the same fandom. We hope no one will misuse this new option, and will adjust this rule next round if necessary.